REVIEWING THE 2014 DRAFT

The Edmonton Oilers went to the 2014 draft with a similar arsenal to the 2008 draft, with one early pick followed by miles of waiting. There were two things in their favor: Their first round pick came at No. 3 overall and the club’s fourth-round pick came before No. 100 overall.

• No. 3 overall: C Leon Draisaitl. Scott Cullen tells us this pick has a 100% chance of playing 100 NHL games and the ‘average’ No. 3 overall pick is a top 6 forward or top 4 NHL defender—this pick is expected to land. Leon Draisaitl played 37 NHL games and didn’t deliver offensively (2-7-9) but showed some positive signs—including solid possession numbers (as a rookie!) with Nail Yakupov. He’s a monster at the junior level, dominating everywhere and playing a complete, focused game. I know there’s talk of spending a lot of time in Bakersfield next season, I suspect Draisaitl is going to play his butt off in training camp and pre-season.
  • No. 91 overall: D William Lagesson. Cullen says there’s a 24.5% chance he’ll play 100 NHL games and the average selection at No. 91 is a minor league player destined to player under 50 NHL games. I was pleased with the Lagesson selection based on Corey Pronman’s report (“Lagesson stands in at 6-foot-2, 196 pounds, and thinks the game through very well in his own end, which allows him to excel on the penalty kill as well. His passing is solid, and while Lagesson doesn’t look like a player who will get much power play time at the pro level, he’s a calm, smooth puck mover who can aid in the transition game”) and the reviews from Dubuque have been positive. We won’t know for years, but this selection appears to cover the bet at No. 91. The picks around Lagesson had solid years so this draft may be deeper than first thought based on Draft+1 season.
  • No. 111: G  Zach Nagelvoort. Cullen say’s it’s 14% for Nagelvoort to play 100 NHL games and the average is a minor leaguer who plays between 10-50 NHL games. We’re at a point now (and this is true of pretty much all picks 100+) where the picks have basically equal value—it’s a lottery ticket and good luck, thanks for coming. Nagelvoort did not have a good season, as his SP drifted from .929 to .906 and he lost the starting job to Steve Racine. I’m always hesitant to react one way or another to a single season by a goaltender (except in the NHL, when I go crazy with every game), so am willing to wait and see. It doesn’t look like he’s going to beat that 14% bet after year one, but let’s see how this turns out.
  • No. 130: F Liam Coughlin. Cullen has it at 16% for this slot and the average remains career minor leaguer, 10-50 NHL games. Coughlin joined the “Eddie Caron All-Stars” by jumping from one college commitment to another and may be heading to the NCAA this fall (nothing much has been said since fall). He led the Vernon Vipers in scoring and clearly has ability but will be 21 in the fall and is barely more than a point-per-game player in the BCJHL. A distant bell, Dysin Mayo went a couple of picks later.
  • No. 153: F Tyler Vesel. Cullen has Vesel’s chances of playing 100 NHL games at 15%, and the average remains career minor leaguer, 10-50 NHL games. I mentioned on draft day that Vesel seemed to be the most promising of the picks past 100 and am more convinced today. He was used sparingly (always happens) early on but came on mid-season (that’s early for a freshman) and landed No. 4 among scorers for Omaha. If you’re betting on anyone past Lagesson, this is the guy.
  • No. 183: G Keven Bouchard. The mystery pick (I honestly don’t think they saw him much) lands in a spot where the chances of playing 100 NHL games are 10.3% and he looks like it. An awful regular season was saved by some good keeping late and he had a couple of decent playoff outings before another bad one. Being last on the Oilers depth chart at goal means there’s a long way to go, but (as with Nagelvoort) making any kind of sweeping decision based on one season is not reasonable.

Cullen’s numbers are here. I think Leon covered his bet despite a strange development year and Lagesson is worth getting excited over. It’s important to remind ourselves anyone chosen after No. 100 is unlikely to become an NHL regular but I do think Edmonton could have done better with the Coughlin and Bouchard selections. The scouting and drafting is much better than the days of Hesketh—Abney but there’s room to improve and I believe those two selections would have been better invested in Dysin Mayo, Spencer Watson, Vladimir Tkachev and Andrew Mangiapane—all of whom I mentioned here in the days after the 2014 draft.

You may enjoy re-reading (or reading for the first time) my ‘Harvest Moon‘ analysis of the draft right after it was completed in June 2014.

102 Responses to "REVIEWING THE 2014 DRAFT"

1. supernova says:

most draft years I hope for 2 players to turn out from the standard 7 picks.

immediately following the draft. I thought 1 player would make the 100 game mark.

almost 1 year has passed and 1 think 1 player will make the 100 game mark.

—————————-

I have no idea what MacT got up to last summer, it reeks of thinking he was smarter than he is.

The draft made no sense, even if you want college players for the longer signability time frame

The acquisition of Nikitin made sense but he should have covered his bet with adding another player with more potential of Aulie.

Fayne, Nikitin, Aulie how about Fayne, Nikitin, Kevin Klein ?

MacT fails to cover his bet, on almost every move.

need a Veteran Number 2 center…… wait until the season is done and acquire a middling one.

my goal for this off season is MacT cover your bet.

2. Dashingsilverfox says:

I hear that Bennett kid is making his Stanley Cup playoff debut tonight.

3. Ca$h-Money! says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    I hear that Bennett kid is making his Stanley Cup playoff debut tonight.

And if the Oilers had picked him he wouldn’t be…

Dashingsilverfox:
    I hear that Bennett kid is making his Stanley Cup playoff debut tonight.

5. RexLibris says:

Dysin Mayo went a couple of picks later.

I’ve been guilty of having some OK bias due to proximity and familiarity, but I was screaming at the computer that day (okay, figuratively, not literally, I usually keep it together at least a little bit on draft day) when Mayo was falling.

If Bob Green were calling that draft there is no way he’d have let Mayo get by him in that round. He knew what the young D could become as a player.

The Bouchard pick was a Tsujimoto moment for me. It is as if they clasped their hands behind their heads, said “meh, screw it, let’s wrap this and get our drink on”.

If MacGregor really had to talk MacTavish into taking another goalie at least Dad had the good sense to wait until the parking lot was empty before letting Junior behind the wheel.

6. Ca$h-Money! says:

supernova:
    most draft years I hope for 2 players to turn out from the standard 7 picks.

almost 1 year has passed and 1 think 1 player will make the 100 game mark.

—————————-

Fayne, Nikitin, Aulie how about Fayne, Nikitin, Kevin Klein ?

MacT fails to cover his bet, on almost every move.

my goal for this off season is MacT cover your bet.

I’m not sure it’s fair to assume 2 out of 7 when you don’t have a second or third rounder. I think if we get 2 NHLer’s out of this draft it will be a decent achievement.

That said I think LT was a little light on the criticism on just how bad two of those picks were. I get that they’re hail Mary’s regardless, but at least pick a player that has some redeeming quality to suggest he might be an NHLer (small but scores a ton, dominated an obscure junior league, or for a goalie some combination of weird name and high save percentage, that type of thing).

I know the Oilers have much, much bigger problems than selecting poorly in the late rounds, but it still irks me.

7. RexLibris says:

Seguin has a Stanley Cup while Hall hasn’t played a post-season game yet.

Oilers really screwed that pick up.

8. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: A wonderful young player. The worry for him (and I had him No. 1 overall) is injury and that certainly impacted his Draft+1 year.

At least we’ll get some advanced data on him now.

He’s a potent offensive force, but given how things went in his OHL playoffs I have some questions about the rest of his game.

9. delooper says:

RexLibris:
    Seguin has a Stanley Cup while Hall hasn’t played a post-season game yet.

Oilers really screwed that pick up.

You think if the Oilers had picked Seguin they’d have a Stanley cup by now? You’re channeling insane radio-show callers, right?

10. RexLibris says:

delooper: You think if the Oilers had picked Seguin they’d have a Stanley cup by now?You’re channeling insane radio-show callers, right?

I’m alluding to a narrative that appeared above.

The Sarcasmotron went critical writing that last comment.

11. jake70 says:

I recall Gagner one summer, maybe his 2nd last summer as an Oiler, he worked with a figure skater to develop his skating on his edges. Was I dreaming that ? I see this issue with Draisaitl, saw it with Hartikainen. You could really notice Gagner had improved. Is this something the team looks at as a rule with the players?

12. Pouzar says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    I hear that Bennett kid is making his Stanley Cup playoff debut tonight.

Good for Calgary…seein he did so well in the OHL playoffs #bust

Since I was a kid the Habs have been getting away with murder. This period of hockey is insane.

14. FPB94 says:

I don’t get how you just allow contact after every whistle but call that a major and a hooking.

15. Captain's Log says:

God damn I want to see Oilers playoff hockey again. It really is just night and day from the regular season.

I still can’t believe that major + game for Subban…

16. Gordies Elbow says:

jake70:
    I recall Gagner one summer, maybe his 2nd last summer as an Oiler, he worked with a figure skater to develop his skating on his edges.Was I dreaming that ?I see this issue with Draisaitl, saw it with Hartikainen.You could really notice Gagner had improved. Is this something the team looks at as a rule with the players?

17. Ice Sage says:

Pouzar: Good for Calgary…seein he did so well in the OHL playoffs#bust

Bieska will show him how to do a chin-up

Mtl-Ott not what I expected (but fun)

18. Ryan says:

FPB94: That was the softest 5 minute major I’ve seen in my life. I swear Ottawa’s been just cross checking all game and the refs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Welcome back Kotter! You’ve been missed here.

19. Dashingsilverfox says:

Pouzar: Good for Calgary…seein he did so well in the OHL playoffs#bust

Bennett had 27 points in 15 games after returning from serious surgery.

That’s 1.8 PPG.

20. FPB94 says:

Ryan: Welcome back Kotter!You’ve been missed here.

Il’l do a draft list soon.

21. Ryan says:

FPB94: Kotter? Yeah University is hard =P. Done for now but I can’t afford to watch Oilers ”hockey” as much as I did. Hopefully more relaxing times ahead.

Kotter? It’s a reference to an old time TV show. Almost before my time and I’m only three years younger than Woodguy.

22. HeatTreaterJoe says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Draisatl wasn’t recovering from surgery, but was recovering from Eakins. Much worse.

23. jake70 says:

Gordies Elbow: I don’t know about Sam Gagner, but the Edmonton Oiler’s coaching staff includes David Pelletier as a skating coach.

Thanks….forgot about Pelletier (what about Sale?). Gagner was in Ontario when he trained with someone…..maybe it was the skater OTC Quinn referred to…lol.

24. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox,

I hope Bennett does really well against Vancouver, and the 34 year old Sedins. Also, happy belated birthday to Alexandre Burrows, who turned 34 this week.

It’ll be interesting to see if Vancouver can handle their speed, and the mobility of Calgary’s defence. I think that while Vancouver fans were happy that LA was kicked out, they had a better chance against them than the Flames squad.

25. Dashingsilverfox says:

Gordies Elbow:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Almost a pick ’em in my mind.

But Vancouver has better defensive depth and secondary scoring.

Vrbata could be the difference.

26. rickithebear says:

Dashingsilverfox: I hear that Bennett kid is making his Stanley Cup playoff debut tonight.

OHL Playoffs: Bennett last 4gm 0G 3A -4 .75ppg
    WHL Playoffs: Draisatl last 4gm 1G 7A +4 2PPG

Who knows maybe bennett needed to warm up in the OHL!

27. rickithebear says:

Dashingsilverfox: Leon Draisaitl is 1.64 PPG since returning to junior…and, of course, wasn’t recovering from surgery.

I forgot bennett has missed 59 reg season games to injury.
    has to play 288 games in a row to have the same injury rate as Hall.

28. Dashingsilverfox says:

rickithebear: OHL Playoffs: Bennett last 4gm 0G 3A -4 .75ppg
    WHL Playoffs: Draisatl last 4gm 1G 7A +$ 2PPG

Who knows maybe bennett needed to warm up in the OHL!

Tiny sample size.

And Draisaitl is playing for a power house.

Huge difference.

29. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox: Almost a pick ‘em in my mind.

But Vancouver has better defensive depth and secondary scoring.

Vrbata could be the difference.

I’d say that Gadreau could be the difference.

Wow, looking at their roster for next year, they have $62.1m in salary cap committed to 16 players (and Luongo), and the average age for that group goes up to 30.5.

That’s not including RFA contracts for Luca Sbisa, Yannick Weber, Linden Vey, Ryan Stanton, Ronalds Kenins, Brandon McMillan. They better hope that Larry Brooks is wrong about the $68.2 million dollar cap, or that Linden finds the fountain of youth.

30. Ice Sage says:

Gordies Elbow: Vancouver’s average age is not good. I think they’ll have issues with the speed, especially when Calgary’s defence activates.

I’d say that Gadreau could be the difference.

I’ll be watching with interest and envy. The game will have to be spectacular to top that eastern Canada game.

But, let’s face it, this is the SCF for both those western teams – whoever gets the winner in the next round has a free ride to the final four.

31. FPB94 says:

I hope Jackson and Kozari never get to referee another game this year. What an awfully referee’d game jesus christ.

Jackson’s an all around twat tho. He gave Philadelphia a series in 08′ when he just let Lupul bodycheck Huet for the series winning goal.

BTW: How does Washington manage to always lose like that ? Jeez.

32. Pouzar says:

1-0 Rockets

Drai with the primary apple

33. Gordies Elbow says:

Ice Sage: I’ll be watching with interest and envy.The game will have to be spectacular to top that eastern Canada game.

I’d love for Edmonton to be there, though. Last time they played a playoff game was June 19th, 2006, when Connor McDavid was 9, and playing his first season in Atom hockey.

34. Dashingsilverfox says:

Bennett looks fantastic.

35. Ice Sage says:

Gordies Elbow: Final four in the west, final eight teams. Yep, but I’d hate to be the team that plays the winner of one of the other western rounds. Lots of big, heavy, deep talented teams left.

I meant that the winner of the Cal -Van series will be a gimme for their opponent next round, meaning that that team will get to the Western Final. BTW #97 was probably in bantam by age 9!

36. Ice Sage says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    Bennett looks fantastic.

Sammy Hockey! Rest of Flames are outclassed (except Hiller) so far

37. rickithebear says:

Dashingsilverfox: Tiny sample size.

And Draisaitl is playing for a power house.

Huge difference.

You tell us it is not about team!
    Liar! Liar! Pants on fire!

38. justDOit says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    Bennett looks fantastic.

I’ve only been watching a while, but he’s taken a stoopid penalty 200′ from his own net, and turned the puck over just outside his blue line.

But other than that, yes.

Some experience issues for the flames so far. Hoping their ‘bend but not break’ game plan can hold til the third, when they historically outscore their opponents by a wide margin.

39. justDOit says:

rickithebear,

Assuming he’s wearing pants.

40. justDOit says:

Anyone know who they sat to dress Bennett?

I’m at a pub on my phone and…

41. russ99 says:

Hope you guys aren’t missing OT in Nashville, it’s been a roller coaster ride. Love playoff OT hockey.

Would love to see the Oilers in one of these again someday…

42. Dashingsilverfox says:

justDOit:
    Anyone know who they sat to dress Bennett?

I’m at a pub on my phone and…

Mason Raymond.

43. Ice Sage says:

russ99:

Would love to see the Oilers in one of these again someday…

SO much better hockey than Vangary

44. Gordies Elbow says:

russ99,

Bite your tongue. It’s great hockey, but I want to see the Oiler’s steamroll teams on the way to the silver chalice.

In 2006, there were a few games that took a few years off of my life. Think of the people in Chi/Nas tonight… 🙂

45. Bling says:

I can’t think of a more inane argument than a comparison between Draisaitl and Bennett at this stage in their careers.

Hopefully MacTavish does something about the D this summer and we’ll have better things to talk about next year at this time.

46. russ99 says:

Gordies Elbow,

Lol, I’m one of those people in Chicago.

The Hawks so badly self destructed in the first that a win would be gravy, and could be a back-breaker for the Preds.

Yeah, 2nd OT!!

47. cabbiesmacker says:

Gordies Elbow:
    russ99,

But then you got 9 years back so you’re good to go.

48. Gordies Elbow says:

cabbiesmacker,

Yes, yes I have. Thanks!

Man, did I miss playoff hockey!

49. justDOit says:

This thing where the player wearing the big pads, stops the puck – this is good.

50. FPB94 says:

NAS got into epic OT battles with Vancouver a couple of years ago. Pekka Rinne can be monstrous.

51. flyfish1168 says:

Bling:

The more insane argument is Monohan, Gaudreau and Bennett having played more playoff games than Eberle and Hall. This pisses me off to see how their career legacy is being written up by incompetent management. When Halls and Eberle’s career is over what will be the most glaring thing missing or how will they be remembered. Both had such outstanding junior careers and to have their NHL played out this way is unexceptable. Ruining their careers is Oiler management

52. russ99 says:

FPB94,

Yep. The only way they got the winner past him was a classic screen by Toews.

53. justDOit says:

Fuck the Nucks!

54. Gordies Elbow says:

Well, that’s one way to lose home ice advantage….

55. Ice Sage says:

justDOit:
    Fuck the Nucks!

riot time?

56. pocession charge says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    Bennett looks fantastic.

I thought he looked real good too. He is definitely an impact player.

57. justDOit says:

Ice Sage: riot time?

Just do it!

58. Dashingsilverfox says:

pocession charge: I thought he looked real good too.He is definitely an impact player.

And got an assist on the GWG.

Was likely the Flames best player overall.

Not too shabby for an 18 year old.

59. Numenius says:

HeatTreaterJoe:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Draisatl wasn’t recovering from surgery, but was recovering from Eakins.Much worse.

Win!

60. Dashingsilverfox says:

Numenius: Win!

So, we’ve now gone beyond blaming Tambellini for everything?

It’s always the last guy that left.

Draisailtl is Joe Colborne.

61. pocession charge says:

Dashingsilverfox: And got an assist on the GWG.

Was likely the Flames best player overall.

Not too shabby for an 18 year old.

I think what made him so effective was his lack of hesitation and was not intimidated at all. Looked like a veteran out there. Pretty solid first playoff game.

62. justDOit says:

Dashingsilverfox: Was likely the Flames best player overall.

Hiller says hi. Maybe David Jones too.

63. Dashingsilverfox says:

pocession charge: I think what made him so effective was his lack of hesitation and was not intimidated at all.Looked like a veteran out there. Pretty solid first playoff game.

Hartley ran him out against the Sedins repeatedly and he more than held his own.

Very impressive.

64. Dashingsilverfox says:

justDOit: Hiller says hi. Maybe David Jones too.

Hiller was good.

The Canucks missed a lot of chances.

But Jones just cashed an opportunity.

Bennett was the best Flames forward IMO.

65. pocession charge says:

Dashingsilverfox: So, we’ve now gone beyond blaming Tambellini for everything?

It’s always the last guy that left.

Draisailtl is Joe Colborne.

Draisaitl is very similar down low but he is far better on the rush because of his dangerous passing ability. He will improve the Oilers but they will still have problems. Not enough intensity in several key players. Watching playoff hockey only reinforces how far off the team really is.

66. SwedishPoster says:

Dashingsilverfox: So, we’ve now gone beyond blaming Tambellini for everything?

It’s always the last guy that left.

Draisailtl is Joe Colborne.

I’m liking Bennett better then after my first few viewings but my issue with him is that I think there’s a decent chance he ends up a winger at the NHL level. Not saying anything about him playing wing at this point, that’s just normal considering he’s a rookie at 18 coming in late. But to me he looks like he might at least take a while to play center efficiently in the bigs, if ever. He’ll be a great player either way but where?

67. Dashingsilverfox says:

SwedishPoster: I know you like to stir things up and I don’t mind it but Draisaitl is nothing similar to Colborne in style. Or size. Drai is 3-4 inches shorter. I think Leon will be exceptional but we’ll see in 4 years or so.

I don’t think it matters.

Calgary is already loaded at centre.

Monahan

Backlund

Stajan

Colborne

Bouma

Granlund

Byron

I’m sure they would like Bennett as #2C but they certainly have no need to force him into that position.

68. Dashingsilverfox says:

pocession charge: Draisaitl is very similar down low but he is far better on the rush because of his dangerous passing ability.He will improve the Oilers but they will still have problems.Not enough intensity in several key players.Watching playoff hockey only reinforces how far off the team really is.

I really don’t think there is much difference between the two.

Both players are big, average skaters who like to protect the puck.

Colborne scored 20 goals and 46 points in his first full AHL season.

I’d be surprised if Draisaitl did much better.

69. FPB94 says:

Dashingsilverfox: I really don’t think there is much difference between the two.

Both players are big, average skaters who like to protect the puck.

Colborne scored 20 goals and 46 points in his first full AHL season.

I’d be surprised if Draisaitl did much better.

That’s such a wack comparison. You realize you’re comparing guys who scored at the same pace in the WHL and the AJHL right?

70. LMHF#1 says:

Few things would make me happier at this point than the Cansucks being swept by Calgary.

The Flames can then also be swept, but no fan base deserves a first round whupping more than Vancouver’s crew.

71. SwedishPoster says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Yeah he’s a great fit for Calgary. For the Oilers desperate for centers not as good and I think they hold similar top end potential. As for the above comment on Drai vs Colborne I don’t see it. Leon isn’t nearly as big as Joe, has far better hands and vision, better top end speed though both lack the first few steps and agility. That Leon protects the puck in a similar fashion despite giving up so much in size is a good thing imo.

Liam Coughlin!

73. LMHF#1 says:

Dsf, you’re almost going from smart guy troll to wrestling heel. Someone’s going to drop The People’s Elbow one of these days.

Not that I mind, I just hope people aren’t losing the insightful parts.

74. Dashingsilverfox says:

LMHF#1:

The Flames, in particular, with the lowest payroll in the league, come to play every night with a passion and a level of teamwork and commitment that the Oilers can only dream about.

If you can’t appreciate that…you’re not a hockey fan.

It’s quite sad actually.

75. G Money says:

Dashingsilverfox: Backlund
    Stajan
    Colborne
    Bouma
    Granlund
    Byron

C’mon man. You made me spit the Baba Ganouche 18 yr scotch that WG recommended out my nose.

All but one (Granlund) of those players is 25 years of age or older. Not a single one has hit over 0.5 ppg in their careers. This is ‘loaded’ the way that Greece is ‘loaded’ with prosperity.

I expect better trolling from you. Such easily falsifiable statements are not to your usual standard. Please work on your captiousness.

Very disappointing.

76. Dashingsilverfox says:

SwedishPoster:
    Dashingsilverfox,

We’ll see.

I’ll certainly grant you the passing ability but, to be honest, I don’t see much else.

77. Younger Oil says:

Liam Coughlin!

Kyle Bigos (2009)
    Kellen Jones (2010)
    Liam Coughlin (2014)

The only NHL team to draft from the Vernon Vipers in the past decade is the Edmonton Oilers. I don’t mean it as a knock on the scouting crew (although Bigos and Coughlin were awful picks), just find that pretty interesting.

78. G Money says:

Younger Oil: I don’t mean it as a knock on the scouting crew, just find that pretty interesting.

Given the success rate of the BCHL, it probably should be taken as a knock.

79. Dashingsilverfox says:

G Money: C’mon man.You made me spit the Baba Ganouche 18 yr scotch that WG recommended out my nose.

All but one (Granlund) of those players is 25 years of age or older.Not a single one has hit over 0.5 ppg in their careers.This is ‘loaded’ the way that Greece is ‘loaded’ with prosperity.

I expect better trolling from you.Such easily falsifiable statements are not to your usual standard.Please work on your captiousness.

Very disappointing.

You only need one #1C Sparky.

The rest are role players.

The Flames have lots of role players.

The Oilers don’t have any unless you think Derek Roy is a long term solution.

80. G Money says:

LMHF#1,

I have hate and contempt for both teams. Therefore I don’t care what happens as they face off. Every game carries with it a certain measure of glee (for the loser) and annoyance (because of the winner). DAMN YOU FLANUCKS! DAMN YOU TO HELL!

81. Dashingsilverfox says:

Liam Coughlin!

That’s the ticket!

82. Dashingsilverfox says:

G Money:
    LMHF#1,

I have hate and contempt for both teams.Therefore I don’t care what happens as they face off.Every game carries with it a certain measure of glee (for the loser) and annoyance (because of the winner).DAMN YOU FLANUCKS!DAMN YOU TO HELL!

Lowetide told me the NHL is going to step in and BOTH will get a pass to the second round.

At least that’s what I think he meant.

83. G Money says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Cmon man. Another one out the nose.

#1C eh?

Remember when you said this?

Dashingsilverfox: Calgary is already loaded at centre.

You probably don’t as it was 40 seconds ago, so I quoted it for you.

The Flames are not loaded at 2C. They desperately need Bennett to be a #2C, or better.

Reminder: it’s poor trolling form to make statements that are so easily falsifiable or that contradict what you said just a few posts earlier. Good form dictates that you should wait at least an hour before you contradict yourself. I’m not sure why I should have to give this reminder to one as experienced as yourself.

Again: VERY disappointing.

84. Dashingsilverfox says:

Younger Oil: I don’t know if this has been mentioned before, I just realized it myself, but since the lockout, there have been only 3 players drafted from the Vernon Vipers.

Kyle Bigos (2009)
    Kellen Jones (2010)
    Liam Coughlin (2014)

Kyle Turris was drafted out of the BCHL.

The Oilers have spent YEARS trying to find the next Kyle Turris.

Unicorns

85. Dashingsilverfox says:

G Money:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Cmon man.Another one out the nose.

#1C eh?

Remember when you said this?

You probably don’t as it was 40 seconds ago, so I quoted it for you.

The Flames are not loaded at 2C.They desperately need Bennett to be a #2C, or better.

Reminder: it’s poor trolling form to make statements that are so easily falsifiable or that contradict what you said just a few posts earlier.Good form dictates that you should wait at least an hour before you contradict yourself.I’m not sure why I should have to give this reminder to one as experienced as yourself.

Again: VERY disappointing.

PHHHHTT.

86. LMHF#1 says:

Dashingsilverfox: You know, I’m always bemused by fans of a team whose GM has already waved the white flag on NEXT season (another developmental year) can speak ill of a couple of teams who have scratched and clawed their way into the post season and have at least given their die hard fans something to dream about while the team they support can’t get past spitting up and pissing its diaper.

If you can’t appreciate that…you’re not a hockey fan.

It’s quite sad actually.

Yer funny.

You know MacTavish isn’t my GM if you’ve ever paid any attention.

And Canucks fans suck. Been going to games for 20 years. They’re the worst. Every year. Every game.

87. LMHF#1 says:

G Money:
    LMHF#1,

For me it is mostly about their fans and specifically those that attend in Edmonton.

Never actually had a problem with a Flames fan – the inferiority complex gets to be a bit much but that’s it. Canucks? Different story.

88. Dashingsilverfox says:

LMHF#1: Yer funny.

You know MacTavish isn’t my GM if you’ve ever paid any attention.

MacT is your GM whether you like it or not.

89. PhrankLee says:

Oh man I have warned and fretted about Sam Bennett for a year now.

He will be a massive thorn in our side. I wouldn’t trust him out there. I think he is cold blooded and reptilian.

Cold as a new razor blade. He makes me panic.

I too had him #1 by a mile.

90. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

PhrankLee,

Yup, but I think at least half, if not more people here wanted Bennett. I mean, LT had him #1, so did I. He’s a beast. No doubt. So, you’re warning the wrong people unless you’re hoping MacT is reading this. Preaching to the choir.

Really though, it doesn’t mean Draisaitl can’t be good. Easy to pick on the Oilers when Buffalo could just as easily be dumped on.

91. Kmart99 says:

PhrankLee:
    Oh man I have warned and fretted about Sam Bennett for a year now.

Cold as a new razor blade. He makes me panic.

I too had him #1 by a mile.

Yup. I have high hopes for Leon, but remain convinced Bennett would have a better pick.
    The fact that the Oilers didn’t pick Bennett just reinforced my beliefs that he was the smarter selection. Leon looks dominant and has a great shot at being a 2C but Bennett looks elite and whether or not he ends up as a 2C will depend on his inability to be a 1C (IMO).

92. Pouzar says:

Chase in OT!

Yay.

Now back to Bennett talk.

93. PhrankLee says:

Kmart99,

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

I’m not warning anyone.

Leon has everything he needs to become a 1C.

I feel Bennett is closer, that’s all.

And he is meaner. I rather we have Leon than Bennett in this regard, seriously.

I think Leon will be far, far more durable and that factors in more highly in recent years. Gone are the iron man days.

Durability means consistent intake of experience and pace and routine and responsibility.

Leon has this in spades. I love the kid.

I had Bennett 1OA because it’s a cold world, the NHL. He fits that bill.

I had Leon #3 right where he should have been. (Wanted to trade up with Eberle at the time to get AE cause that would have K-bomb, AE and Nurse in Oiler sweaters while Hall still had a contract here.)

I think the entire group was summed up by MacT talking about Pitlick earlier. Saying he was a year and a half late on his development.

Greatly overvaluing anything gets us in trouble.

94. Yeti says:

Who’d have thought this possible?

“The play of Flynn and Mitchell, as well as that of mid-season acquisitions Jeff Petry and Devante Smith-Pelly, will only grow general-manager Marc Bergevin’s legend.

Petry played brilliantly as the Habs filled the void left by Subban’s early exit, Smith-Pelly set a physical tone early on and was unlucky not to score a third-period insurance goal – his shot was deflected onto the post by Hammond.”

95. season not played says:

I have every confidence Bennett will be a better player than Draisaitl. If there is one thing the Oilers have proven over the years is that they consistently evaluate players poorly and make the wrong choices. At the draft, in trades, free agency, doesn’t matter. Oilers are full marks for being the worst run organization in North American professional sports.

96. PhrankLee says:

Yeti,

Petry looked so comfy on the PP. I really wish we had deployed him there with more regularity.

97. Seismic Source says:

If we picked Bennett we would have DSF remind us that we picked another undersized forward coming off of a shoulder injury who isn’t ready for the rigors of the NHL and who couldn’t do a chin-up at the combine. All the while pumping Drais tires because he most likely would have stayed in Junior all year and tore it up.

They were both pegged as can’t miss.

98. PhrankLee says:

Seismic Source,

I agree. And anyone remarking on the talent of a draft choice other than consensus is routinely admonished for screaming “We should have taken Player X!”

I like our pick. I was remarking on Bennett as a dangerous player.

I never said we should have taken him. I personally am repulsed by him.

God damn he is good, though.

Leon’s a helluva prospect, folks. Don’t let anyone tell you different.

100. tubes says:

Can we get DSF banned please? Reading the comments used to be enjoyable.

101. Lewis Grant says:

tubes:
    Can we get DSF banned please? Reading the comments used to be enjoyable.

I agree. Maybe 20% of his comments are a positive intelligent contribution and the other 80% are pure trolling. Haven’t we already suffered enough as Oiler fans?

102. Cameron says:

Lewis Grant: I agree.Maybe 20% of his comments are a positive intelligent contribution and the other 80% are pure trolling.Haven’t we already suffered enough as Oiler fans?

No. We suffered through you guys being gifted the greatest team ever assembled. Time to pay the karmic piper.Wasting 3 1st overalls is just the downpayment.