A TURN NORTH?

For the first time since the Katz ownership regime began, there appears to be actual movement in the corridors of power. In the hours after the shocking lottery win, Bob Nicholson has been named the de facto capo di tutti capi of the Edmonton Oilers.

The Oilers under Daryl Katz have been a galling organization. He’s a very successful businessman who is also a tremendous Oilers fan—these things should bode well for success! The venture has been lucrative off the ice, Oilers fans still buy tickets and Katz has delivered a cap team several times during the seasons under his watch.

It has been a disaster. Bob Nicholson’s forensics of the organization should be focused on:

• Procurement of players
  • Development of players
  • Roster management as it pertains to the cap and 50-man list

And beyond that the decision-making process behind all of the moves, good (Gordon, Pouliot, Fayne) and bad (Petry, etc) needs to be evaluated. I had planned to do a long MacT RE (and will if it’s still pertinent) but the main point of the post surrounded the idea of waiting for MacT to make his mistakes and learn on the job.

ARE the Oilers better off with MacTavish? OR should they hire a more experienced hand to handle this team moving forward? Paul Fenton might be the key to the highway. I suspect the forensics will see some scouts heading out (Nicholson was vocal about the lack of successful second-round picks on a Toronto radio station in the winter time) and maybe a tweak here or there. Nicholson’s a connected guy. If he chooses to bring in a GM to replace MacT, suspect it’s a bona fide name.

This has major implications for the Oilers, as McLellan (from Melville, SK) would be near the top of most lists for best coach available at this time. If the Oilers have a shot, Nicholson probably knows enough about the target to make it attractive. McLellan has a terrific reputation for producing offensive teams, specifically with the man advantage. I’ve also been impressed over the years by his ability to put young, inexperienced defenders in positions to succeed at the NHL level. Perfect fit? We’ll see. He’s available now, but there will be many teams after him.

CLARITY

Winning the lottery gives Edmonton a plethora of jacks and kings but those pesky 6’s and 7’s and 9’s have proven elusive. I think Craig MacTavish has done a good job acquiring plumber forwards (Gordon, Hendricks, Klinkhammer) but there is absolutely a problem in procuring defensemen and the meter hasn’t clicked on the goaltending position, either.

If the Edmonton Oilers replace Craig MacTavish, it will come down to holes in goal and on defense. I’m not going to rip MacT for sending Devan Dubnyk away (he was awful) but that’s part of his record all the same. Ben Scrivens was a good bet (imo) and did not work out. I see the GM getting one more swing of the hammer (which is not certain) and my guess is he’ll go for a veteran with a proven track record.

Todd McLellan as coach, Antti Niemi in goal? It might be an idea to include Marc-Edouard Vlasic on the flight from San Jose.

340 Responses to "A TURN NORTH?"

« Older Comments
  1. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox: Good grief.

Personally, I think that getting McDavid is a game-changer, a seismic shift.

Happy that it happened to Edmonton.

2. frjohnk says:

Dashingsilverfox: Good luck with that.

The Oilers were the worst defensive team in the league last season and even if McDavid gooses their goal output by 30 goals they will still be way, way bad.

Nurse and Klefbom may be the ticket but I certainly would bet a pair of nines before the flop and expect to win.

I said 2018.
    not next year,

3. Bag of Pucks says:

Dashingsilverfox: Pavel Bure was a generational talent…but lots of things happen on the way to Grandma’s House.

I don’t think generational means what you think it means.

4. speeds says:

frjohnk: Yeah Boston will trade Savard to a team like Arizona or Sabres that need to reach the cap floor.

No way Hamilton is let go by Boston.

Offer sheet for Hamilton is a pipe dream.

Not likely to succeed isn’t the same as a pipe dream. Maybe you don’t plan your summer around it, but if it’s July 5th, you haven’t been able to sign players to the $/term you want or make reasonably priced trades, I can see giving it a try and seeing what BOS does.

knighttown,

I don’t think you need to protect players on ELCs.

AHJ should be safe without a spot if they get it done soon.

If the Oilers keep that Penguins pick, a guy like Kylington might fall to them. I understand he’s another draft pick, but that guy looks very good.

7. Suntory Hanzo says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Living in the lower mainland, I get all the Canucks press.

The young Oiler leaders should look at the Sedin’s as a template to being pillars of the community. There generosity and consistent positive attitude is awesome. They donate tons of money to charity, just built a new community playground where my folks live (Agassiz) and are involved everywhere. Hopefully someone on Oiler land is watching.

That being said, Ference has been great in that capacity. Perhaps he should just be put in charge of Oiler charity and community work.

8. Pouzar says:

I know BPA but man a d-man with that pick is a must imo

9. frjohnk says:

speeds: Not likely to succeed isn’t the same as a pipe dream.Maybe you don’t plan your summer around it, but if it’s July 5th, you haven’t been able to sign players to the $/term you way or make reasonably priced trades, I can see giving it a try and seeing what BOS does.

Savards cap hit is 4M next year and 4 M the after
    but his salary is 575k for next year and 575k the year after

This is very enticing for a team looking to get above the floor as they can use the cap hit to get above the floor but it only costs them 575k a year for two years.

Boston will use the cap space from Savards contract to sign Hamilton.
    The flush or buyout other players before they let Hamilton go.
    They have said they will match any buyout.

10. Pouzar says:

I pray for OT in this Jets game just to see my buddy roll into work tomorrow.

11. FTO says:

That would be awesome, he seems like he could be special after spending a couple years in Sweden post draft. Wouldn’t mind that at all.

12. Pretendergast says:

Can Katz and Nicholson use their connections and get Dave Randorf to call all Edmonton home games? This Winnipeg game is 10x as delightful because of his commentary.

Would be money to hear “McDavid to Hall…Scores!” with some excitement rather than our tennis level commentators now.

13. dangilitis says:

Dashingsilverfox: Could happen…likely won’t.

Top pairing D always include a D that can score….a lot.

Neither Klefbom or Nurse have shown that kind of ability.

Good grief is right, DSF.

Why do you come on this site, then, if you can’t even try to be a fan of the Oilers?
    Fans, almost by definition, need to have some optimism about their team’s prospects. Not irrational faith, just a little optimism that good bets will work out.

I would think there are many different ways to build a cup contender, and a fan can believe that having Klefbom and Nurse as big pieces of the puzzle would be one way of doing that. Lately, I will admit, there are some fair comments that you have made, that show you are aware of how hockey is played. They are mixed with garbage, and that’s fine, and that comment you just made is an example of the latter.

But its times like these, where the only rational conclusion an external observer can make about why you come to this site and talk about hockey is that you truly envy Oilers fans for being the most thoughtful and passionate supporters of an NHL team, and that you are embarrassed for your peers when you chat with them about hockey. If you can admit that, that’s the first step in your recovery…

14. Bag of Pucks says:

14000+ Jets fans chanting “Katy Perry” at Corey Perry. Classic.

Same fans that chanted “Silver Medal” at Ryan Miller.

Good sense of humour. Great to have hockey back in the Peg.

Dashingsilverfox,

Dallas has 3 young defensemen who are all likely better than Nurse and Klefbom (Kilngberg, Nemeth and Jokkipakka)

Just stop.

I know you enjoy popping Oiler fans’ bubbles, but seriously stop.

You’re mucking up a good thread.

I like Kilngberg and Jokipakka (don’t know much about Nemeth) ,but what you’re saying is just not right based on the evidence and you know this.

Jokipakka’s 51 games and Nemeth’s 20 (over 2 years) isn’t setting anyone’s world on fire and you know it.

16. Gordies Elbow says:

Suntory Hanzo:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Living in the lower mainland, I get all the Canucks press.

The young Oiler leaders should look at the Sedin’s as a template to being pillars of the community. There generosity and consistent positive attitude is awesome.They donate tons of money to charity, just built a new community playground where my folks live (Agassiz) and are involved everywhere. Hopefully someone on Oiler land is watching.

Not only has he (Ference) been, you should Google Yakupov, and his involvement in the communitty. Amazing stuff.

Pouzar: I know BPA but man a d-man with that pick is a must imo

They should take Dmen with every pick (after 1) they make this year.

Garth Snow style.

18. Pouzar says:

Woodguy,

You bit.
    It’s his M.O.
    Each post is more ridiculous than the previous.

19. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: They should take Dmen with every pick (after 1) they make this year.

Garth Snow style.

I’m down with that!

20. Gordies Elbow says:

Another player like Klefbom? Please sign me up…

That said, I’d look at Jeremy Roy, playing in the Q. I think that he’ll be a player….

21. Dashingsilverfox says:

Gordies Elbow: He wasn’t a generational talent, similar to Linden. Please feel free to disagree, and not bail by stating “Good grief.”

Personally, I think that getting McDavid is a game-changer, a seismic shift.

Happy that it happened to Edmonton.

Pavel Bure scored 60 goals and 110 points in 1992-1993.

Others in the top 5 were Lemieux, Selanne, Robitaille and Mogilny. (Brett Hull, Steve Yzerman and Pierre Turgeon missed the cut).

I’m not sure how you define “generational” but I don’t think I would count Bure out.

Suntory Hanzo,

If I’m MacT I go to Katz and ask for permission to put Ference on the payroll for whatever he wants as “Community Ambassador” for 2 years if he announces that he’s retiring due to concussions and fear of further damage.

Win-win really.

23. tcho says:

I know it must have been noted somewhere in the comments before, but it’s so dreamy I thought it bore repeating. Gretz called him “the best player to come into the league in the last 30 years.” *swoon*

I’m trying not to get too carried away, and then 99 comes out with a quote like this.

I’m even wondering if it helps our defence/goaltending, just because our forwards will have the puck more.

24. frjohnk says:

Dashingsilverfox: Pavel Bure scored 60 goals and 110 points in 1992-1993.

Bure was my favorite player in the 90’s. Offensively could do it all.
    I agree he was a generational talent. This is a clip that proves it.

25. Dashingsilverfox says:

Woodguy:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Just stop.

I know you enjoy popping Oiler fans’ bubbles, but seriously stop.

You’re mucking up a good thread.

Nemeth is likely the best of the bunch but was was derailed by a deep arm laceration this season.

What I’m saying IS right.

Klingberg is far better than Klefbom (would be in Calder consideration if he had played a full season) and both Jokkipakka and Nemeth are already playing in the NHL while Nurse likely needs at least half a year in the AHL to be considered.

Not even close.

Just stop.

My pick of a RHD to go after would be Ellis.

I think he’s this generation’s Brian Campbell, but might be better.

His numbers with every NAS C is better than Weber’s even if you remove ZS effects (as much as you can do that)

Unreal talent.

4 more years at a $2.5MM cap hit.

I think he could handle 1RD with a good LHD.

I absolutely no reason why NAS would trade him.

Might be the best value contract in the NHL.

27. Pouzar says:

Oh my….of all players to score….Kesler

28. Yak2 says:

Don’t know how we’re going to pry M-E Vlasic from SJ. He’s an underrated part of their D.

29. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox: Pavel Bure scored 60 goals and 110 points in 1992-1993.

If McDavid is at that level, he’s likely going to bring a cup to Edmonton.

Based on his stats, I wouldn’t be shocked.

Impact on Hall’s stats, likely.

Happy times.

30. dangilitis says:

Bag of Pucks: I don’t think generational means what you think it means.

Yes. When it comes to OHL draft seasons, there was Gretzky, Lindros, Crosby, and now McDavid. There are a lot of things that can occur on the way to grandma’s house when you are from Central Red Army, etc. (although he was still a 3 time Rocket Richard and hall of famer) but the OHL is a rock when it comes to predicting generational junior talent. Care to disagree on that point? If so, please don’t insert players that have scored less than 2.5 ppg in their OHL draft year. And if you are going to use Lindros as your starter, its kind of a non-starter. If he pulls a Lindros, which he won’t (there’s a whole article about how his dad brought him up not to be Eric Lindros, if you are interested), we’ll land on our feet as well.

You didn’t want to take the bet about Flames shot percentage regression (how have the wonder trio scored 1 goal on 17 shots, by the way, they should have at least 3 by now :(), that’s fine, I get it.
    Care to wager about McDavid’s future at 1:1 odds? I wouldn’t hurry to decide that if I were you, or there will be a lot of people on here taking your whiskey.

Crickets?

31. speeds says:

Woodguy: They should take Dmen with every pick (after 1) they make this year.

Garth Snow style.

Pouzar: I know BPA but man a d-man with that pick is a must imo

I’d have no problem taking a F there , if they are the BPA. Let the player develop in junior for another year, maybe 2, and if all goes well you’ve got a great prospect to plug into the top 9 in a couple years.

32. nez29 says:

A couple of years ago, weren’t there rumours that Nashville’s owner–a notorious tightwad and labour hawk–could have been convinced to part with Weber, especially if the criminally-ugly-jerseyed Preds flame out in the first round? Am loath to part with a key asset, but would an Eberle and that Penguin first-rounder fetch Weber, with some other parts/dough? Just spitballin’

Dashingsilverfox,

I like Klingberg a lot ,but Dmen don’t shoot 11.6% every year either.

Just stop.

34. SkatinginSand says:

Absolutely MacTavish should be held accountable for the Dubnyk fiasco. He made it clear from the start that Dubnyk was not his man. His very public attempts for Schneider and Bernier were followed by the infamous “if you need to ask the question” blither.
    He dumped a goalie who had a .920 save percentage the year before because he can’t tell the difference between a defenceman and a circus clown and he hired a coach whose idea of a defensive system consists of giving up wide open 15 ft. one timers.

35. tcho says:

I’m thinking of starting another pool. This one centred around the-troll-who-will-not-be-named. It’s only a matter of time until he suggest the Oilers would be “lucky” to trade McDavid to a team for, say, an older 2nd line winger and a 4th round pick. Or he cherry picks a narrow slice of obscure stats to show that McDavid is actually a worse player than, say, Jarret Stoll was at the same age. It’s going to be pretty good when it happens. So, the winner of the pool would be the person to correctly predict the ridiculous trade suggestion OR comparison from trollie. I’d be up for funding a prize (I’m just not sure how to ensure there’s no collusion!)

Dashingsilverfox,

What I’m saying IS right.

Use more caps.

Then I know YOU REALLY MEAN IT

37. Bag of Pucks says:

Dashingsilverfox: Pavel Bure scored 60 goals and 110 points in 1992-1993.

Orr, Lafleur, Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Crosby.

In NHL parlance, ‘these are ‘generational’ players. The best of their generation. The best of the best.

Despite that really impressive single season, Bure doesn’t make this grade. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

PS. Notice how ‘generational’ players invariably lead their teams to the Cup. Bodes well for the Oil with McDavid.

Again, why is a Canucks fan here? Don’t you have a window to smash or a car to tip over?

38. G Money says:

tcho,

Are you kidding? McDavid’s OK, but he’s no Kyle Wellwood.

39. RexLibris says:

Klefbom 2.0.

Keeping that pick unless floored by the offer is a must.

40. nez29 says:

This.

41. tcho says:

G Money,

Lovely.

42. Pouzar says:

We got Connor frickin McDavid….wtf?!?!?!

43. dangilitis says:

Dashingsilverfox: Nemeth is likely the best of the bunchbut was was derailed by a deep arm laceration this season.

What I’m saying IS right.

Not even close.

Just stop.

44. Dashingsilverfox says:

Woodguy:
    Dashingsilverfox,

I like Klingberg a lot ,but Dmen don’t shoot 11.6% every year either.

Just stop.

They don’t shoot 2.0% either unless they can’t score worth a lick.

That happens all the time.

45. RexLibris says:

Either way, the best way to use that Pittsburgh pick, be it by drafting or trading, is to wait until draft day and see who falls.

Line up your deals, then wait. If Kylington or another surprise talent falls, the return could go up.

Think about if Howson had waited until draft day to trade with Philadelphia. As Couturier dropped he could have limited his offer and kept Voracek. Or been blown away by a better offer from another GM.

He screwed up royally when he made the deal before he saw the draft board develop.

DSF: It’s okay, man. We’re as surprised as your are about the lottery. Hang in there.

47. Pouzar says:

“Yer ruinin my summah!!!!!!!”

48. dangilitis says:

What I’m saying IS right.

Not even close.

Just stop.

Nemeth is the best of the bunch? But my 2 second search suggested that he couldn’t even score in the AHL In fact, he’s scored 68 points in the last 7 seasons. And that includes junior leagues and playoffs. Nurse scored 33 pts in an injury shortened season, this year alone.

Alrighty then…

49. Dashingsilverfox says:

dangilitis: But that would be a hypocritical comment from someone who objects to rushing players into the NHL. Nurse likely could have played in the NHL this year too, and 999/1000 rational people would agree that the fact that he hasn’t does not mean he will be inferior to, who, Peter Nemeth? And his 30 NHL games with 0 goals and 3 assists? I thought you needed great D to be able to score, and he sure as shit won’t. Jokipakka, Nemeth. Don’t make me laugh, seriously. I will bet you that Nurse and Klefbom will be better D than those 2 as well.

Klingberg is 22.

Jokkipakka is 23.

Nemeth is 23.

No rushing.

There’s every chance Nurse will be just as good..but suggesting he and Klefbom are sure fire 1st pairing D is patently ridiculous.

Hell, Jim Nill is out looking for top pairing D and he has much more to work with.

50. Pouzar says:

RexLibris:

What’s consensus ranking for Kylington these days?

51. RexLibris says:

Kill ’em with kindness, huh. Sunshine works on more than just vampires!

😉

52. dangilitis says:

LT’s highlight of the night!

53. Kitchener says:

Holy Gord – within the last few days:

1) We win McJesus
    2) We get a new CEO who wasn’t on the cup teams
    3) I finally get a chance to celebrate with one of Niagara’s finest grapes.

What a time to be an Oil fan!

54. speeds says:

Woodguy:
    Suntory Hanzo,

Win-win really.

Until the NHL strips EDM of its 2015 1st as punishment for cap circumvention 😉

Woodguy:
    My pick of a RHD to go after would be Ellis…

I absolutely no reason why NAS would trade him.

Might be the best value contract in the NHL.

Until McDavid signs his ELC 😉

55. Dashingsilverfox says:

Profit.

56. spoiler says:

When Captain Captious is here desperately seeking attention, I don’t know why everyone doesn’t ignore him until he’s blown his load of bitterness and realizes he’s not going to get any responses.

Don’t feed the troll and it will go away. He’s not worth the 1 in 40 post that is actually decent and insightful.

57. tcho says:

spoiler:

Don’t feed the troll and it will go away.He’s not worth the 1 in 40 post that is actually decent and insightful.

I agree actually (and somewhat broke my own rule. The shame).

58. Kitchener says:

Bag of Pucks,

I was a teenager at one of the Jets’ last playoff games in the 90s. My pals and I were hoarse by the time the anthem was done. That is one kick-ass hockey city.

Too bad they don’t have the right players.

59. Pouzar says:

spoiler:

Yup. About half the posts now are refuting his nonsense but it’s ok. He says smart stuff sometimes.
    I truly am ready to call it a day. I guess no place is sacred anymore.

60. RexLibris says:

Pouzar: What’s consensus ranking for Kylington these days?

ISS has him #24.
    Future Considerations has him at #19.
    McKeen’s has him at #29
    Central Scouting has him #6 among European skaters

He’s 17, 6′ and 180lbs. Smooth skating, big shot, sees the play well and can work the powerplay.

At his age he played 18 games in the SHL with minimal production. He’s a draft-and-follow player who will fall because his boxcars aren’t there, he isn’t big, and he plays overseas.

But here’s his scouting report courtesy of EP:

A smart two-way defenseman, who has tremendous feeling for the game and reads the plays well. Oliver Kylington is only average sized, but lets you forget the missing inches with his hockey sense, his strong vision and remarkable skating abilities. Owns a booming shot from the blue-line and combined with this very good puck- and passing-skills, he can guide a power-play and the team’s offensive game to success. (by Rafik Soliman, April 2015)

He can skate, pass, and sees the ice well enough to get time in the big league overseas. You draft him at 17 and wait for three years. Then you bring him over as a 21 or 22 year old on an ELC who can play a solid two-way game.

Dashingsilverfox: I’m good…just watching the Wild run to the cup…they have 2 top pairing D and a balanced lineup.

Profit.

62. frjohnk says:

Dashingsilverfox: Klingberg is 22.

Jokkipakka is 23.

Nemeth is 23.

No rushing.

There’s every chance Nurse will be just as good..but suggesting he and Klefbom are sure fire 1st pairing Dis patently ridiculous.

Klefbom is better than those two clowns right now. Those two Dallas d have no offensive acumen.

Klefbom has way more offense than them.

Nurse is probably better than those two Dallas D as well.

63. dangilitis says:

Dashingsilverfox: Klingberg is 22.

Jokkipakka is 23.

Nemeth is 23.

No rushing.

Maybe that is what you read, but we can hope for that outcome, and there’s no data to suggest that it won’t happen. You are damn right they should look for more help, though, but if that is the case, and they have multiple top line D men on the team, that’s a great problem to have, even if it puts them into cap trouble. They will always be in demand from other teams.

But I think taking those 3 D-men and using them in the same breath as the phrase “more to work with” is not wise. BTW, there’s also no assurances that paying for 7 years of Klingberg at top 4 prices (and I assume that this deal included RFA years) will pay off either, considering he never eclipsed 0.5ppg in any league prior to making the jump to the NHL.

Nurse is only 20, if you forgot, and 2-3 years makes an awful lot of a difference for D-men.

64. Pouzar says:

RexLibris,

Thank you. Any idea about how he would do in CHL?

65. book¡je says:

spoiler:

I fully agree, though I think he does a tremendous job mixing a solid knowledge of hockey with solid facts and good analysis PLUS a bit of total bullshit. He does it in a way that sucks long time commentators in – I find it impressive.

66. AZOIL says:

Can we block DSF?

67. Магия 10 says:

dangilitis: you truly envy Oilers fans for being the most thoughtful and passionate supporters of an NHL team,

Show a little mercy to a guy born into this world with only 2 skills: CHERRY-PICKING and CHEERY-PICKING. Hardly his fault ya know.

68. Dashingsilverfox says:

Lowetide: Minnesota winning Stanley with Dubnyk would be splendid. I don’t think the team plays terribly interesting hockey but that’s Lemaire residue.

Interesting hockey doesn’t usually win in the playoffs…grind, grind, grind.

69. Kitchener says:

AZOIL,

I do. It’s called “skip the comment.”

70. dangilitis says:

Dashingsilverfox: ashingsilverfox says:
    April 20, 2015 at 10:09 pm

Klingberg is 22.

Jokkipakka is 23.

Nemeth is 23.

No rushing.

There’s every chance Nurse will be significantly better than all 3, even if he doesn’t score 40 pts in his rookie season..and suggesting he and Klefbom could become 1st pairing D is how smart teams draft and develop.

Fixed it for you

71. dangilitis says:

I could get behind that. Although, then Dubnyk might not want to come back to Edmonton… 😉

72. Ducey says:

The Hockey News picked the Jets to win the Cup. Not so much.

73. Gerta Rauss says:

Rakell Rakell with the OT winner, Cogs with an assist on the winner

74. raventalon40 says:

VanOil:
    What a game in Winnipeg. I miss playoff hockey for the Oilers.

This plucky Winnipeg team reminds me of the 90’s Oilers, but probably more physical. I do miss those Mike Griers and Igor Ulanovs.

Damn those Ducks. I was really hoping on a Jets win in Winnipeg.

75. AZOIL says:

I agree and I don’t comment or read his comments but when every other commenter on here replies to his nonsense then the whole blog is hijacked. It’s starting to make this blog unreadable.

DSF, we are sorry your jelous, please go away and go bother some leafs or Canucks fans.

76. Pouzar says:

AZOIL:

Yup. Oh well.

77. dangilitis says:

Ouch, I wished for a better fate for Toby and the Jets.

Cogs with a 3 pt night.

78. book¡je says:

Please learn from how LT engages with DSF when he is baiting, never debates a fact or argues a point, just gets the odd jab in and then doesn’t respond to DSFs response – leaves him hanging….waiting.

When DSF is making good points, LT enages him.

LEARN, we can train this very old and bitter man if we all did the same. Instead you all jump to argue with him which is like Viagra for him – gets him all hot and bothered and then he just keeps pestering you for more.

79. Soup Fascist says:

Dashingsilverfox: Interesting hockey doesn’t usually win in the playoffs…grind, grind, grind.

Just a hunch ……. You don’t get a lot of job offers from the NHL PR department, do you?

80. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:
    RexLibris,

Thank you. Any idea about how he would do in CHL?

Think about how beautiful Klefbom’s game is to watch. That is a result of his coaching background, skill set, and the environment he was developed in.

Wouldn’t it be nice to get another one of those?

81. raventalon40 says:

Evilas,

If you think you can

a) acquire Larsson
    b) acquire Hamilton
    c) sign them to those future franchise D-men to a bridge contract (expect something north of 4.5/5 M)

You got another thing coming. Did you see what kind of second contract Subban and Myers got? Certainly they’re no Subban, but this is the market price. With Chara on the downslide of his career, Hamilton is going no where fast. He’s there for the long term.

The Oilers buying out one of Nikitin or Ference and signing a big whale on the market is way more likely than acquiring another team’s young stud D man. Which, if you think about it, doesn’t help us anyway since we already have a young enough D core.

We need some hard nose veterans in the Smith and Staios mold, not more futures.

82. Soup Fascist says:

Gerta Rauss,

Gerta Rauss:
    Rakell Rakell with the OT winner, Cogs with an assist on the winner

Well he DID make the long journey from Milan to Minsk …….

83. Pouzar says:

RexLibris: Not a clue, but I’d leave him in the SHL. If he’s already good enough to play against men then let him continue to develop at that level and under those conditions (that emphasize passing and skating ahead of brute force) for a few more years before bringing him over.

Wouldn’t it be nice to get another one of those?

Indeed!

84. frjohnk says:

Wouldn’t it be nice to get another one of those?

Another Klefbom?

Sign me up.

85. Gerta Rauss says:

RexLibris,

Did Glencross play any RW while he was in Calgary..?

86. spoiler says:

RexLibris: Haven’t seen updated rankings lately, but I’ve seen him all over the place from in the late top ten to around 20.
    ISS has him #24.
    Future Considerations has him at #19.
    McKeen’s has him at #29
    Central Scouting has him #6 among European skaters

Kylington has been dropping all season long.

I think the scouts were either expecting more offense this year or maybe a growth spurt, dunno.

He might not bring a lot of offense with him, which, at his size, would not be… helpful.

His skating is pretty elite though.

87. spoiler says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Rakell Rakell with the OT winner, Cogs with an assist on the winner

88. Dashingsilverfox says:

P/60 5V5

Klingberg 1.25

Daley 1.12

Oleksiak 1.10

Goligoski 1.05

Demers 0.93

KLEFBOM 0.92

SCHULTZ 0.84

Benn 0.72

Jokkippaka 0.62

That Klefbom pairing should be killer.

spoiler: The story of a young girl’s strange, erotic journey from Santa Ana to Saint Boniface?

Well this is gold.

90. Numenius says:

Ducey: Brother. It is hard to hang out here in the evenings with DSF baiting everyone each night.

Yes, this happens every time he comes back. It’s sad, really.

91. frjohnk says:

Numenius: Yes, this happens every time he comes back. It’s sad, really.

Cheer up

We got McDavid,boys.

Grab some beers

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

92. spoiler says:

Gerta Rauss:

Did Glencross play any RW while he was in Calgary..?

How about Joel Ward?

He’s 34, but he’s just had two of his better years in his career. One of those weirdos that never made a mark till he was 27.

Fills the Mike Grier role.

93. Gerta Rauss says:

spoiler: How about Joel Ward?

Yup- I looked at him too

I kicked around Iginla’s name as well but we’d have to trade for him

I’m looking to fill the RW on the Hall/McD line

Purcell would work in a pinch but I’m not sure he can skate with those 2

-skating
    -can score a little
    -veteran NHL forward on a 1 or 2 year deal
    -good defensively
    -piss and vinegar

I think if you dangle that spot a lot of agents would take your call

94. Chamucks says:

I never comment on here but feel the need to now.

How is DSF not banned? It’s been literally years of this guy de-railing threads.

95. LadiesloveSmid says:

Woodguy:
    Suntory Hanzo,

Win-win really.

Of Ference and Nikitin, Ference is definitely the one that needs to go. I think there’s a half-decent defender in there somewhere for Nikitin. I can’t pinpoint one thing Ference is particularly good at, maybe pointing the blame finger at other people. Find that 1RHD, and roll

Marincin-______
    Nikitin-Fayne
    Klefbom-Schultz

not superb, but realistic. Ideally Jultz is out of town, helping out Klefbom

96. Bag of Pucks says:

Thinking tonight if the plan is to have Lander replace Gordon eventually, you really don’t want to move him to the wing. And you’d ideally like Leon to cut his teeth in the A. So why not sign Roy on a 1 year value deal to platoon with Lander until LD’s ready?

So:

Pouliot/RNH/Eberle
    Hall/649/Yak
    Purcell/Lander/Miller
    Hendricks/Gordon/Klink
    Roy

This way, if Yak struggles on the 2nd line, you can swap him with Miller and shuttle in Roy as needed for chemistry.

Really need some of those lads in the A to start pushing players like Purcell and Klinkhammer for roster spots as well. Those guys are stop gaps at best.

97. spoiler says:

Chamucks:
    I never comment on here but feel the need to now.

LT sometimes does temporarily, and he prefers to handle things behind the scenes. It’s his salon, his blog. We really shouldn’t be telling him who to ban and when.

There are other issues too, which I would prefer to not go into out of respect for DSF.

He can occasionally add value, but when he’s like he is tonight, the fault is partly ours… don’t allow ourselves to get baited.

98. Numenius says:

frjohnk: We got McDavid, boys.

Thanks for helping keep us rational.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WWWWWEEEEEEE GGGGOOOOOTTTT MMMMMMCCCCCCCCDDDDDDAAAAAVVVVIIIIIIIIDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I see him penciled into the lineup, I can still hardly believe it.

99. spoiler says:

Gerta Rauss: Yup- I looked at him too

I kicked around Iginla’s name as well but we’d have to trade for him

I’m looking to fill the RW on the Hall/McD line

Purcell would work in a pinch but I’m not sure he can skate with those 2

-skating
    -can score a little
    -veteran NHL forward on a 1 or 2 year deal
    -good defensively
    -piss and vinegar

I think if you dangle that spot a lot of agents would take your call

Lol… well since Buffalo isn’t getting McDavid to protect now, how about Evander Kane?

Iginla’s not happening, but that would have been ideal.

100. frjohnk says:

Bag of Pucks,

649.

Ha. Ha.

Love it.

101. Chamucks says:

spoiler,

I don’t mean to impose, but I’m 26 years old and after over a third of my life spent living in Oilers misery this draft lottery miracle is the high point for me (yes, more satisfying and exciting than ’06).

I can normally scroll right on past that stuff but with the vitriol coming from out east this is my safe haven for Oilers talk. For lack of a better phrase he’s been really pissing me off the last few days. Sorry.

P.S. Who won the Dustin Brown vs. Hemsky bet?

102. Bag of Pucks says:

frjohnk:
    Bag of Pucks,

649.

Ha. Ha.

Love it.

You know how they always say “Imagine the possibilities” in those lotto ads?

McDavid has that same effect.

Honestly, very few cities in the league that will appreciate this lad as much as we will.

103. Optimism is like heroin says:

Kind of off topic in this thread but after listening to the Nicholson presser …. is anyone else concerned over the number of times he uses the words trust and loyalty? To me it sounded like no one was going anywhere anytime soon.

104. Suntory Hanzo says:

Yak2,

Maybe we can trade him for our Olympian.

105. Suntory Hanzo says:

Neat seeing the Shawshank Warden in the new Daredevil series. Still an A hole.

106. Evilas says:

raventalon40,

Are you saying that you wouldn’t want Adam Larsson and Dougie Hamilton on your team? This is what a smart move looks like.

It will cost a lot more to get an established 1st pairing Dman, it is best to get them just before they go supernova and if you can tempt them with enough, then you do it. This is literally about the only time that you can acquire a bonafide first pairing Dman. Now is the time when you have assets that can be moved without hurting the current roster and mortgaging the future. Targeting the Phaneufs and Seabrooks or any other 30 something Dman will be costly and will not provide the same long-term positive impacts AND will have us complaining the same way we are with Ferrence’s contract.

This is a deep draft, and there is a very good chance that the Oilers will be drafting one or two future roster players in June beyond the 2nd round. I think the cupboards will be pretty full in Bakersfield next year and if Larsson and Hamilton can be pried out of NJ and Bos, then you go for it. I think the offers would be tempting to both teams. And these are EXACTLY who the targets should be.

Neither of these guys will command anything near Myers or Subban dollars in the next 3yrs IF you approach this correctly.

The ONLY issue with this deal is IF NJ and Boston reject it, but I think both deals would be extremely tempting to them. Offer sheets to either is foolish, because in the remote chance that it is not matched, if you get them, then you are overpaying them and likely handcuffing your team in the future. These offers are not Omarkian, I think they are more than fair and would help both teams.

Buying out Nikitin is foolish, since he comes off the books next year anyway and can be kept in the 3rd pairing. If he is healed and fit, there is a good possibility that he is an actual useful Dman, at least we know he is better than Aulie. And he did show some flashes of ability.

107. spoiler says:

Evilas: Adam Larsson: offer Pitts 1st, Purcell, Greg Chase and Laleggia and see if this makes it happen.
    Dougie Hamilton and Milan Lucic for Eberle, Schultz, Marincin, 2nd Round pick and 2016 1st.

The problem with most trades isn’t the assets going the other way, as many people set up overpays, it’s having a willing dance partner.

Teams tend to stay loyal to their own draft picks and the composition of their dressing room. They’re really not into change for change’s sake. I think both Boston and NJ are happy with the players they have and don’t want to go through the process of now trying to fill those holes themselves.

I think from the Oilers point of view, they would only be willing to do one of those kinds of deals.

And I think there is some value too in finding some battle-hardened experience. With several teams facing cap crunches this off-season, it may never be easier to acquire that vet presence.

I don’t see how in particular NYR can keep all their defensemen.

But as in most cases, again the problem with trades is the other guy wants to keep his core.

I think what the Oilers should do is hold an auction for that Pity 1st with the teams in cap trouble.

When their backs are against the wall they might not get something so good. Boychuk got traded for two 2nds and a conditional that won’t come into play.

So let’s start off with seeing what they’re willing to put up for that first. And if we add something can we get the vet we want? I would check that before sending 9 assets out the door in the hope of getting players other GMs feel are part of their future.

Sorry. Don’t like to disagree with a fellow Cochranite.

108. Suntory Hanzo says:

I think the key, as always, is to suds out the organizations that feel the need to change (for change sake). Not because a team did poorly, but because they didn’t live up to expectations. This is why teams like Boston SJ LAK suddenly become vulnerable. Not because they have bad people in charge, but because the sword of Damocles is hanging. Everyone will do at least a little bit to extend their job. It’s their livelihood; therefore, sometimes some convincing can be had.

109. spoiler says:

Suntory Hanzo,

They generally fire people rather than make bad trades, but this can happen… Unfortunately, it’s still highly unlikely they would solve their problems by trading their young, cheap, up-and-comers.

But the great thing is I think there’s a helluva lot more players who would waive their no-trade clause now than there was last Friday.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

110. Dark Asia says:

Hi LT – not going to rip MacT for sending Dubnyk away after 17 games? – no problem – I’ll do it for you. His handling of Dubnyk from the minute he was silver-plated the GM job was truly pathetic. Flapped his gums and revealed his bias by showing zero confidence in the young starter right after he was hired (and after DD put up a .920 behind a bad team), then tried to trade for a perceived better option at the draft, then shipped him out after half a season and 17 losses. The fact that Dubnyk recovered so quickly after that BS is a testament to his talent and mental toughness – and MacT’s ineptitude. Nice way to throw away a first round pick and ten years of development – but the Wild say thank you.

Oh by the way – DD a 3-0 winner today while MacT is again reveling in being rewarded for failure. If anyone thinks that DD would consider resigning in EDM they are out of their minds.

111. Dark Asia says:

SkatinginSand:
    He dumped a goalie who had a .920 save percentage the year before because he can’t tell the difference between a defenceman and a circus clown and he hired a coach whose ideaof a defensive system consists of giving up wide open 15 ft. one timers.

…..and this.

112. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Well this is gold.

Thank you, sir.

113. Suntory Hanzo says:

Dark Asia,

The one thing that has kept me going through the years is being an Edmonton Boy ( Sherwood Park from grade 2 through BEd) but living in BC for the last 20 years.

Every team runs players out of town. Everyone over values their players. Every team gets non stop scored on by their ex players.

Dubs sucked in that final season with the Oil. So bad that I worried that he might not get another contract. So the oilers traded him.

But wait… He also sucked in Nashville and they sent him to the A. So it wasn’t just us.

114. spoiler says:

Spector beating the McLellan drum:

Couple of interesting points…

–If Erie is knocked out by the Soo, there’s a chance Team Canada invites McDavid to the World’s.

Go, Soo, go!!!

–McLellan will look at organization first and then the team’s chances of success. Having the best player isn’t as important as having a strong team culture.

115. Dark Asia says:

Suntory Hanzo:
    Dark Asia,

DD sucked for 17 games that season and he won 11. You never ditch a talented young goalie with a good track record on that flimsy evidence. Everyone has bad stretches and MacT was the architect of most of DD’s issues (along with the equipment changes). He had TWO starts in Nashville who could have cared less since they had Rinne (who was hurt at the time) and got rid of the Hendricks contract which was the whole point of the trade for them. MacT was looking for any excuse to get rid of DD and he didn’t need much. It wasn’t Patty Roy / Montreal stupid – but it’s up there if DD goes deep in the playoffs and continues strong play next year.

116. 106 and 106 says:

Todd Nelson has been Skyped (?)

Edmonton Oilers reached out to McLellan about their coaching vacancy. <— the way this is worded implies that no one fills the post currently.

117. stevezie says:

I am going to echo Bookje and say there is a right way and a wrong way to engage with DSF. Denying every point he makes just because he made it lowers us all.

Pavel Bure is clearly a generational talent. (The term does not imply single best player of generation, just a guy of which type only comes along every ten or so years. He qualifies.)

I’ve also always thought you were right about the Wild, Foxy. One of the best “on paper” rosters in the league and loads of youth. Nearly put some cash on them myself, but gambling is just not the vice for me at this time.

118. Seismic Source says:

I said two years ago to trade Yak for Carlsson. I still say do it but now we’d have to throw in something else. Yak and Pitts first and thank Yak for being such a good sport.

119. Seismic Source says:

And all we need is one of Yak2, Chase, Iiro or Schleppy to come in just a bit earlier than expected and contribute. It will change so much. More ELCs that come in at an already developed age. Factor that in with the potential pump and dumps McJesus might allow us to do with some of them and we could be trading (dumping) from strength for years.

120. GCW_69 says:

“Winning the lottery gives Edmonton a plethora of jacks and kings but those pesky 6’s and 7’s and 9’s have proven elusive.”

Not sure what your definition of Jack’s and Kings is vs 6s, 7s and 9s, but I assume Jack’s and Kings represent top talent and the 6s, 7s, and 9s represent the depth part of the roster.

If this is true, then 6s,7s and 9s are not the problem. Jack’s and Kings that can be top pairing defenders and starting goalies are the problem. The Oilers are drowning in 6s, 7s, and 9s. The Jack’s and Kings are all forwards. That’s the problem.

121. PhrankLee says:

Lowetide: I think Sparky should be a code word. It’s like “sport” but less pissy.

I submit “Peanut”

122. flyfish1168 says:

Dashingsilverfox: Klingberg is 22.

Jokkipakka is 23.

Nemeth is 23.

No rushing.

Interesting view you have on these 5 d-men. But I like to remind you all 5 are better than what the Phlegm’s have in their system and that includes withered-spoon

123. raventalon40 says:

Evilas:
    raventalon40,

Are you saying that you wouldn’t want Adam Larsson and Dougie Hamilton on your team?This is what a smart move looks like.

No this is what an impossible move looks like. Who wouldn’t want both those guys?

Hamilton is the franchise in Boston. Larsson is NJ’s future top guy. Would you trade Eberle for garbage? Why do you think Boston would? This is not Playstation and you’re not getting Hamilton.

124. book¡je says:

Optimism is like heroin:
    Kind of off topic in this thread but after listening to the Nicholson presser …. is anyone else concerned over the number of times he uses the words trust and loyalty?To me it sounded like no one was going anywhere anytime soon.

I thought the whole thing seemed rambling and unprofessional. I hope he’s better than he came across.

125. danieldelair says:

I’m a casual observer these days and may have missed it in the comments, but what does this promotion for Nicholson means for Lowe? Bobby’s his boss now? Will we find Kevin wandering Kingsway in a daze, muttering under his breath?

126. book¡je says:

danieldelair:

Other than everyone reports to Nicholson, it wasn’t clear. There was some rambling about loyalty and getting the right people in place and a plan that we will hear about when it’s ready, but nothing was clear. It’s a strange way to make change.

127. magneto says:

Watching the Jets play, I could hear the ghost of Matty crying out “Dreeeeeww Stafffoorrrrddd”
    I think there could be some interest from the Oilers in either Troy Brouwer or Eric Fehr
    Both are big boys and could be the “diggers”.

Fehr 6’4″ 212lbs RW/C about 30points a year
    Cap hit of 1.6mil UFA this summer
    Brouwer is 6’3″ 213 lbs RW about 40points a year
    Cap hit of 3.6mil for another year
    If the Caps resign Fehr, try to trade for Brouwer. Caps could look to offload some size for Purcell’s PP and 5v5 play

128. hags9k says:

So assuming Ari takes Strome at #3, would we consider Draisatl for Hanifan? Would TOR?

I hate the idea of dealing Drai but can this defense be improved enough through free agency alone?

129. Numenius says:

106 and 106:
    Todd Nelson has been Skyped (?)

No one does fill the post. Nelson was just interim. When that ended at the end of the season, the post was vacant. He wasn’t fired, his NHL contract was just over.

130. magneto says:

hags9k,

I would rather trade the pens 1st + for a D now, then give up Drai and have to wait 3 years for Hanafin (who I was all on board for at #3)

131. Yeti says:

book¡je: It’s a strange way to make change.

Strange, yes. But strangely familiar…

132. GCW_69 says:

spoiler: And not that I wouldn’t ask about either Larsson or Hamilton either. I just think it would be a very short conversation. In a cap world, young players are so, so, so valuable to their teams.

Jersey is in a unique situation with Larsson, Severson, Merrill and Gelinias, plus more bubbling under. Their forward group is old and a mess. Multiple media sources have reported the Devils shopping a defender for a forward. If you want Larsson, it’s reported a special player (forward) needs to be going the other way. It won’t be draft picks alone.

133. wheatnoil says:

What about Jultz, Marincin and a non-1st pick for Vlasic?

If San Jose wants to blow it up, they could get two younger D and cap is about a wash. Plus they can piss off Anaheim by getting Jultz.

134. Kmart99 says:

Klefbom’s first taste of the show was pretty solid. .92 p/60 playing for a team that really can’t score goals at a year younger than Klingberg doesn’t necessarily mean he’s worse than Klingberg who had some pretty high scoring lines to give the puck to.

Jokipakka… Nemeth…. ? I hadn’t heard of either of them before this season and am not sure what makes anyone think they are/willbe better than Klefbom or Nurse.

Nurse at 19 was named best defenseman of the WJC and best player in the final game, but yeah, Nemeth and Jokipakka are probably way out of his league.

Seems like the odd time I respond to any comments by DSF I’m left feeling like he wasn’t serious and that I’ve made a fool of myself for actually thinking he believed what he posted.

135. magneto says:

wheatnoil,

Is there any interest in Burns? I’d love Vlasic, but I have an affinity for Burns and his beard

136. nelson88 says:

GCW_69: If the Oilers aren’t calling Lou about Larsson or Severson they aren’t doing thier job. But, if you want Larsson, it’s Leon plus going the other way. If you want Severson it’s probably Yakupov at least.

Ya. Severson is someone to target if he can be had for a decent price and NJ’s forward core is as old as dirt. Not suggesting Yak is a fair price but the added bonus of NJ/NYI/NYR is the very large Russian (yes, I realize he is Tatar) presence in the area. Maybe you can trade Lou an entire forward line Sleppy – Yak 2 – Yak 1 for Severson, Henrique, +

137. book¡je says:

Yeti: Strange, yes. But strangely familiar…

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss…

138. TheGreatMutato says:

The optimist in me wants to believe that part of the failings of club business (looking at Katz) stems from the fact that succeeding in Edmonton never really seemed like his major goal. Instead he spent several years, from 2011 until relatively recently, maneuvering to see the team moved to Hamilton where it “will get the hockey opportunity we have been looking for”.

Now his Hamilton scheme has fallen through, his Seattle threat has been exposed as empty, and he has his new arena. He now, for the first time, has no choice but to succeed here. Eventually, one would hope that this requires icing a competitive hockey team.

Naturally, my optimistic viewpoint is littered with broad pessimism, but I’ve been an Oilers fan my entire life so deal with it.

In other news, go Oilers!

139. Dark Asia says:

Really only bright scenario I see is the above plus Babcock being brought in with Peter Carrol powers. MacT would answer to him (and this is how it should be given MacT record and experience). Nelson stays as associate with freedom to take HC interviews. Lowe, Howson & Bucky are sent to the BOTB scrap heap. That would be a good start.

You think the Oilers can’t screw this up? What have you been watching the last 9 years?

140. Gally says:

nez29:
    This.

C’mon, you guys. I know you hate DSF, but he’s not far off on Bure being a generational talent. Career ruined by injuries, but, having said that, he’s in the consideration with Bossy and Ovechkin for best scorer of all time. 5 guys have ever scored more than 58 goals four times. Bossy, Gretzky, Bure, Esposito, and Lemieux. In his second 60 goal season, he scored 49 goals in the last 51 games, playing with Gino Odjick and Murray Craven. Anyways, you are crapping on him like he said Shawn Horcoff is a generational player, not Pavel Bure.

« Older Comments