REVIEWING THE 2009 DRAFT

For Steve Tambellini, Stu MacGregor and the Edmonton Oilers one of the major questions on draft day involved Dmitry Kulikov’s signability and how long they might have to wait for him. When Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson fell into their laps, it was an easy decision for Edmonton.

• No. 10 overall: L Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson. His scouting report talked about speed (likely fastest man in the draft) and NHL-readiness (Red Line felt he was, Pierre Maguire disagreed). We are now six years after the draft and MPS spent most of this season in the AHL (albeit with a deep organization). My feeling is that he’s stuck in the minors and that Paajarvi should be able to establish himself again if he gets another shot. Per 82 NHL games, he is 12-14-26, which is more than enough offense for a two-way type. Scott Cullen’s numbers suggest a player taken at No. 9 overall has an 85% chance of playing 100 NHL games (MPS is at 228) and the average player taken here is an NHL regular (Paajarvi is not, despite entering his prime). Players selected in the five slots following: Ryan Ellis (202 NHL games); Calvin DeHaan (117 NHL games); Dmitry Kulikov (386); Peter Holland (130) and Nick Leddy (336). I still think this was a good pick.
  • No. 40 overall: C Anton Lander. I well remember Anton Lander’s scouting report because it ran counter to most: He was a defense-first center who could post enough offense to stay in the lineup. Lander’s development was hampered by a losing organization’s inability to stay out of its own way, but appears to have overcome his keepers and is headed in a good direction. Lander’s spot (No. 40) has an expectation of 34% in terms of 100 career games (he is at 132, so has covered that bet) and average from this slot is a very good minor leaguer (he’s surpassed that, too). Players taken in the five slots after Lander: Drew Shore (78) and Jeremy Morin (82). It was a good pick.
  • No. 71 overall: D Troy Hesketh. Edmonton used to do this all of the time, but the walkabout selections don’t come these days until after No. 100 overall. This pick was dead in the water from the start, with Hesketh’s progress in question from the start. 26.5% chance of playing 100 games from this spot and the average is minor league player. Of the five selections after Hesketh, Michael Latta (70), Alex Urbom (34) and Andrej Nestrasil (54) all made the NHL.
  • No. 82 overall: R Cameron Abney. Such a bad pick, just terrible. Drafting Abney is bad enough, this player type is available via free agency for just dollars. It wasn’t close to good enough. 24% chance of playing 100 NHL games, average is a minor league player. From the five picks after Abney, who made the NHL? Kevin Connauton (98), Nicolas Deslauriers (99) and Cody Eakin (237). The two picks from the third round represent a complete waste.
  • No. 99 overall: D Kyle Bigos. Big college defender who was highly touted after draft day but a change in management saw the club trade Bigos instead of signing him. Getting this pick (and one below that was spent on Olivier Roy) cost the organization Kyle Brodziak. 24.5% chance of playing 100 NHL games (Bigos has played 8 AHL games in the San Jose system) and average is a minor leaguer. In the five picks after Bigos, value was available: Mattias Ekholm (145 NHL games); Marcus Foligno (192) and Kris Foucault (1 NHL game).
  • No. 101 overall: L Toni Rajala. This was a better selection, small but skilled Finn who once looked like he might have a future. He scored at a point-per-game in 2012-13 for the Barons and his reward was a release to pursue his future as a free agent. He has had success in Sweden and Russia. His list is the same as Bigos’ except we have to add (of course we do) Sami Vatanen (123 NHL games). 19.5% (100 games) and average is a minor league player.
  • No. 133 overall: G Olivier Roy. A famous junior goalie, he fell on draft day and Edmonton picked him in Round 5. He posted some strong numbers early in the low minors but has never been able to grab a foothold on an AHL job. He’s a goalie, so never say never. 16% 100 NHL games, career minor leaguer. In the five picks after Roy, Corban Knight (9 games) is the only NHL player.

Scott Cullen’s look at draft numbers is here, and you may enjoy my ‘Shoot the Moon‘ first blush look from 2009. It was a poor draft for Edmonton.

99 Responses to "REVIEWING THE 2009 DRAFT"

1. Ice Sage says:

Yikes

2. coolwasabi says:

The Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson pick was a good one… at the time, at least.
    I remember being VERY happy with the pick and VERY optimistic about his (and Lander’s) future. Remember MPS’ first preseason? Sad to think that has been his highpoint.

3. Oddspell says:

I’ll always wonder about Rajala. After Rieder was traded I was delighted to see another skilled winger emerge in the organization. I was just as distraught after he was released. If he comes back and becomes a third line winger (like a Cogliano type 3rd line skill player), does this draft move into “acceptable” territory?

4. frjohnk says:

coolwasabi:
    The Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson pick was a good one… at the time, at least.

Yeah remember that preseason game when MPS looked really good scoring 3 goals. There was a scouting report comparing him to Hossa and that has always stuck with me. I knew Hall was good and EBERLE was just coming off a fantastic world jrs. I was pretty pumped with those 3. Ebs and Hall are fantastic while Magnus has not covered the bet.

I met Magnus at west ed once. Him and Hartikinen were playing with some remote control cars and helicopters. Very nice kid, well spoken. I wished him and the team well. He was very thankful.
    Hope he has a nice career.

5. RexLibris says:

When I watched Paajarvi I kept seeing flashes of when Dvorak played for Edmonton and led the team in shots but seemed snakebit.

Just looked it up and in 03-04 he had 188 shots and scored 15-35-50 with an 8.0 sh%.

Hmm, it seemed worse in my memory. He had a career 9.2 sh%.

Paajarvi has a 7.9 with his 11-12 season (2.5%) skewing the results.

I think he makes a good 3rd line winger with speed who can kill penalties and cycle the puck.

He deson’t hit (we’ve been down this road before) but I don’t think a player of this type necessarily has to hit like Hendricks to be effective.

If Chiarelli brought him back as a depth winger I’d be quite happy.

frjohnk: Yeah remember that preseason game when MPS looked really good scoring 3 goals. There was a scouting report comparing him to Hossa and that has always stuck with me.I knew Hall was good and EBERLE was just coming off a fantastic world jrs. I was pretty pumped with those 3. Ebs and Hall are fantastic while Magnus has not covered the bet.

Hope he has a nice career.

That was 2010, remember it well. all the hype for Hall and Eberle, and the Swedish kid nets three. A nice story.

7. D says:

Man, some bad decisions and bad judgment exercised in this draft by the Oil. I like MPS though.

8. RexLibris says:

From my recollection, 2009 was tracking to be a rather underwhelming draft year.

We’re close to a decade out and aside from a few outstanding players (Tavares, Ekman-Larsson, Duchene, O’Reilly, etc) there isn’t a whole lot that jumps out at me.

A few surprises later on as usual, but a lot of players who, by draft pedigree, one would have anticipated having a greater impact on the league than they have thus far.

Take Kadri for instance. Six years on now and he is still perceived in some circles as something of a project.

9. EternalFrost says:

I’m kind of surprised MPS hasn’t had more success at the NHL level, considering how well he performed internationally. I still think it was a good pick, but boy did they screw up his development.

I still don’t understand the drafting of Hesketh and Abney, or the Rajala release. This team has been so terrible at assessing talent for so long, it’s no wonder they’re 9 years out of the playoffs.

10. Ben says:

Pretty sure that Troy Hesketh was the subject of a completely fake cell phone conversation that Lou Lamoriello had in the bathroom stall while Steve Tambellini was taking a piss.

11. Ryan says:

EternalFrost:

We end to blame Tambo for these blown picks, #moarbigger

It’s impossible to know how much of this draft stench should stick to SMB.

Lander appears to be turning the corner, but I still fail to see how his player type is what you target with a second round pick. If everything breaks right, his ceiling is a 4rth line checking centre or a 3c shy on offense.

I remember all the verbal coming out of the MSM in the know was that the Oilers liked Glennie a lot and then Cowan.

Thankfully DAL and OTT saved the Oilers from those guys.

Was thrilled PRV dropped (think he was ranked 6th on Bob’s list)

Scored a ridiculous amount in the OHL and now is probably a 1RD if he’s not on a team with Weber and is on a value contract.

Like the Lander pick a lot, but after that it was just bizarre.

13. spoiler says:

RexLibris:

It’s only one year past the 5 year milestone we use to evaluate drafts, so I don’t really look at it as almost a decade. Here’s the year’s record so far, 2009:

Total drafted players to play in NHL: 105
    Percent of players to play in NHL: 50
    Average NHL Career Games: 121
    Average NHL Career Points: 46
    Players over 100 games: 50 (with one at 98, another 99)

2008:

Total drafted players to play in NHL: 89
    Percent of players to play in NHL: 42.4
    Average NHL Career Games: 77
    Average NHL Career Points: 33
    Players over 100 games: 25

Players over 100 games in 2011: 18

From those metrics, 2009 doesn’t seem to be doing too poorly.

14. spoiler says:

Woodguy: Ellis dropped too (due to size) and I remember Poile being gobsmacked that he was there.

He was a WJC stalwart too.

15. stush18 says:

Woodguy:

Thankfully DAL and OTT saved the Oilers from those guys.

Was thrilled PRV dropped (think he was ranked 6th on Bob’s list)

Like the Lander pick a lot, but after that it was just bizarre.

I can understand the pick in a sense. We had gags and cogs who looked like real players, and lander read as a very strong two-way center.

Ryan: We end to blame Tambo for these blown picks, #moarbigger

It’s impossible to know how much of this draft stench should stick to SMB.

Lander appears to be turning the corner, but I still fail to see how his player type is what you target with a second round pick.If everything breaks right, his ceiling is a 4rth line checking centre or a 3c shy on offense.

Landers is looking like a 3c or else a 2c shy on offense based on his totals from this year. Small sample size, i know, but i would imagine lander turns out to be a great fit on this team at 3c.

16. season not played says:

Love these draft reviews LT. As always, nice work.

I remember leading up to the 2009 draft thinking, man, I hope Paajarvi is not there when the Oilers pick because they will not be able to pass on his speed. I told anyone who would listen Paajarvi was the Swedish Jani Rita. They passed on several defencemen for speed, soft size and not a lot of offense. But what I find most perplexing, still to this day, is year after year the Oilers are looking for size and toughness that can skate, fight and play in their top nine, top six if developed properly. For some reason they passed on a first rounder with that skillset taken three picks later.

Kreider looks pretty good on that board as well.

Ben:

Oh my God I laughed at this. Lordy. Well done.

18. Yeti says:

Reviewing round 3 of this draft is like reliving a car crash.

– “He was a player that after the draft was done, other guys were coming up to us and saying ‘you guys snuck one here!'” said MacGregor. “New Jersey runs their own scouting combine and we knew that they’d had him in there and a number of other teams were on the radar for him right around that area so we knew we had to step in there and get him if we wanted him.”
    – “Right now abney’s a specific role player but he’s a player with the potential to be more than that,” suggested MacGregor. “He’s a big kid that has grown a lot in the last two years so he’s still getting his feet under him. Bob Brown really believes in him and thinks he’s got some potential and again, he’s another player where guys from a lot of other teams came up to us afterward to say ‘hey he’s someone that we were looking at’.”

I can only imagine the ‘guys from other teams’ were trying to keep a straight face with the whole ‘you snuck one’ gig.

19. Ryan says:

Yeti:
    Reviewing round 3 of this draft is like reliving a car crash.

– “He was a player that after the draft was done, other guys were coming up to us and saying ‘you guys snuck one here!’” said MacGregor. “New Jersey runs their own scouting combine and we knew that they’d had him in there and a number of other teams were on the radar for him right around that area so we knew we had to step in there and get him if we wanted him.”

Thanks for answering my question. Good gord. 🙂

20. gd says:

Yeti:
    Reviewing round 3 of this draft is like reliving a car crash.

Please forward this to Chia. Remind him that Eakin (WHL) and Connauton (kid from Edmonton) were still on the board when these two were picked

21. Southern Oil says:

Lowetide: Oh my God I laughed at this. Lordy. Well done.

So did I!

22. spoiler says:

Yeti: Bob Brown really believes in him

Oh, that’s not good.

23. Yeti says:

spoiler: Yeti: Bob Brown really believes in him

Oh, that’s not good.

– (on Hesketh) “Mike Peluso, our scout in the Minnesota area, has an extreme passion for him,” MacGregor said, “He’s a projection player and we’re really excited that a little over a year from now he’ll be playing at Wisconsin and developing under their fine coaching staff there.”

From Wikipedia: Peluso played in the NHL from 1990 until 1998. He is currently a scout for the Edmonton Oilers, operating out of Minnesota.

That’s Oilers accountability, right there.

24. marty62 says:

I really enjoy these draft reviews but every once in awhile it makes me go look at that infamous 2003 draft. I just went and looked at it again and it jumped out at me…. Lowe and the boys were drunk and thought it would be fun if they tried to pick all the players that they didnt think would have an NHL career. They did really well if you look at it in that light…..

25. rich says:

These draft reviews are pure gold, thanks for doing them LT.

I remember this draft well, and thinking that after taking the 2 Swedes things were shaping up for a solid draft…and then Abney and Hesketh and you just knew someone was smoking the drapes.

A great reminder of why we’re in the position we currently are in. The decade of 2000-2009 is a lost cause and case study for poor development and bad decisions at the draft. That Lander has survived it is a miracle. Hope Maggie can too.

The drafts from 2010-2014 may shape up to be better in the long run with more guys having a career but holy crap, the decade before is just brutal.

26. hunter1909 says:

Let’s now call the Lowe/MacT era for what it was; a total disaster.

Imagine the result of any poll using Oiler fans:

1 – Keep Chiarelli+Nicholson

2 – Lowe+MacT return, Fatal Attraction style to resume running the hockey team.

haha

27. hunter1909 says:

In case it’s not 100% to 0:

3 – possibly Mike Babcock

4 – MacT boldly returns Dallas Eakins

28. Dashingsilverfox says:

The 2009 draft was an unmitigated disaster.

The Oilers should have picked Dimitri Kulikov, then, now and forever.

Paajarvi couldn’t score much in the SEL, he couldn’t score in the NHL except for brief flurry when he was gifted minutes befitting his draft pedigree but not his production.

His 5V5/60 in his halcyon season was 1.36 which is hardly befitting a top 10 pick and he fell off a cliff after that.

The following season his 5V5/60 dropped to 0.75 which was half that recorded by Ben Eager.

Since leaving the Oilers he has played 65 NHL games, scoring all of 13 points and was -8 on a team that had a +104 goal differential in the two seasons he’s been part of the organization.

He lost his chance for a roster spot to Dmitrij Jaskin who was a 2nd round pick in 2011.

As for Lander, it seems he will top out as a 3rd line C until Draisaitl takes his place but 5 years on, considering his draft pedigree, you would want more than #3C wannabe.

You can find third line players in the remainder bin every offseason and spending a high 2nd round pick and then spending 5 years of development time is a waste of time and organizational resources.

Let’s also bear in the mind that both of these players were on waivers earlier in the season and NO ONE wanted them.

Considering the junk that followed later in the draft, you have to call a spade a spade. (or a big fucking shovel).

29. Ryan says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    The 2009 draft was an unmitigated disaster.

The Oilers should have picked Dimitri Kulikov, then, now and forever.

Not a word out of place.

30. stephen sheps says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    The 2009 draft was an unmitigated disaster.

The Oilers should have picked Dimitri Kulikov, then, now and forever.

As much as I want to disagree with you (more because it’s fun to get into debates than any other reason), what you say about MP(S) is unfortunately spot on. He was not a good pick.

I do disagree with you about Lander, however. You don’t find defensive specialists with PP upside, who captained his WJC team and wore an A on his jersey in a top Euro league at 19. Will he ever score more than .5ppg? Probably not. Will he more than cover his bet as a mind 2nd round pick? Another season like he had this year (ideally with similar PP minutes as a net-front presence – he’s surprisingly excellent in that role!) and I think we will have a definitive answer, but Anton Lander is an NHL player now, the only pick from the ‘unmitigated disaster’ that was the 2009 draft. And thank goodness he arrived this season.

As to your point about Lander on waivers – that’s on Eakins for not seeing what he had, particularly in terms of the role Lander was given as a depth winger rather than playing his natural C position both during his cups of coffee and during TC. He was set up to fail. No other explanations seem plausible since Acton was kept ahead of him for no real reason other than Eakins’ loyalties to his old players.

And now back to this Isles/Caps game. 1-1 midway through the 3rd. Go Isles Go!

edit 2-1 Caps now. That sucks.

31. Dashingsilverfox says:

stephen sheps: As much as I want to disagree with your entire argument, what you say about MP(S) is unfortunately spot on.

I do disagree with you about Lander, however. You don’t find defensive specialists with PP upside, who captained their WJC team and wore an A on his jersey in a top Euro league at 19. Will he ever score more than .5ppg? Probably not. Will he more than cover his bet as a mind 2nd round pick? Another season like he had this year (ideally with similar PP minutes as a net-front presence – he’s surprisingly excellent in that role!) and I think we will have a definitive answer. Anton Lander is an NHL player now, the only pick from the ‘unmitigated disaster’ that was the 2009 draft. And thank goodness he arrived this season.

And now back to this Isles/Caps game. 1-1 midway through the 3rd. Go Isles Go!

32. stephen sheps says:

Dashingsilverfox: If both McDavid and Draisaitl are on the Oilers roster in the near future, Lander will likely get zero PP minutes.

I’m not convinced Draisaitl will make the team out of camp. That said, it never hurts to have 2 Cs out on every PP unit, does it? Lander’s PP value is actually pretty high. He’s hard to move and great in the corners. If they have a 4 forward set, I can definitely see him on the 2nd unit in the Smyth role.

33. bsmart says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Lander just had to produce 5on5 and if he does he will hold down his job.

34. Dashingsilverfox says:

bsmart:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Lander just had to produce 5on5 and if he does he will hold down his job.

Look at it this way…here we are 6 years after the 2009 draft and the Oilers have invested those years (badly) in developing (badly) Anton Lander.

Do you think you could get a 40th overall pick for him in a trade?

I’d wager the answer is no.

35. Dashingsilverfox says:

Crap…Isles lose and are eliminated.

Only 2 favourites left.

Go Wild Go!

Go Flames GO!

36. leadfarmer says:

Dashingsilverfox,

It doesn’t matter anymore where you drafted him, all that matters now is what you turn him into, same thing goes for Yakupov.

37. stephen sheps says:

Well that’s shitty. No more games will be played in the old barn on long island. Lots of early Oiler memories associated with the Isles and that arena. I can’t imagine what their fans must be feeling. I was really hoping that the Isles would get through and set up the battle of New York, just to keep it going a little longer.

38. leadfarmer says:

Dashingsilverfox,

The flames are lucky that they can’t get eliminated in less than four games.

39. RexLibris says:

spoiler,

I’m probably thinking ahead to 2016 already, so I may be jumping the gun on “nearly a decade”, but having reviewed the drafts from ’79 onwards, and looking specifically at efficiency and success rates by year, team and round, I was surprised at the 2009 draft year when compared to 2008 and 2007.

2007 wasn’t especially strong so I had expected something of a rebound in 2009, but it wasn’t really there.

Obviously we need more time to really get a handle on the prospects, but it isn’t tracking like a draft group to remember.

40. RexLibris says:

Farewell Nassau coliseum.

I have to admit, I kind of hoped that the Islanders would fare a little better and give the old building a better sendoff.

41. Ryan says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    Crap…Isles lose and are eliminated.

Only 2 favourites left.

Go Wild Go!

Go Flames GO!

Just a few words out of place here…

42. stephen sheps says:

Dashingsilverfox:

Do you think you could get a 40th overall pick for him in a trade?

I’d wager the answer is no.

I’m not sure that actually matters. Are we talking about the value of the asset on the open market or the value of the asset to the team in the here and now?

He was developed very badly by the organization all the way through and in spite of that crappy development he’s turned into someone useful to the team today. I think that has to be the only thing that matters, especially while he still has RFA years.

43. spoiler says:

That Wings-Bolts Game 7 could be a big game for the Oilers.

I think Babcock will stay where he is, but it would be nice if the other side of his decision-making process had the support of a 1st round elimination.

44. leadfarmer says:

Never liked the Lander pick. His upside was a similar player as Belanger, and you can sign those players for fairly cheap. I like the Detroit model of drafting potential top 6 players.

45. Kmart99 says:

Connor, Nuge, Draisaitl, Lander

Sam Bennett, Monahan, blah blah

I know which C depth chart I’d prefer. I can’t wait for CGY to come crashing back to earth.

46. frjohnk says:

Wow, 3 shots from the Islander forwards tonight.

Caps defence did a helluva job tonight.

47. Dashingsilverfox says:

leadfarmer:
    Never liked the Lander pick.His upside was a similar player as Belanger, and you can sign those players for fairly cheap.I like the Detroit model of drafting potential top 6 players.

Exactly true.

In the second round of the 2009 draft. Detroit picked Landon Ferraro and Thomas Tatar.

Tatar is already established and Ferraro still has a shot.

48. spoiler says:

RexLibris:
    spoiler,

Well based on the numbers I provided, it looks ahead of all the years around it, right now. Not sure how it gets the weak label?

Lander wins the draws and plays the net presence and puck retrieval (Smyth, Holmstrom) role on the PP. The power play will be much less effective without someone to win the draw, and neither McDavid, nor Draisaitl nor Nugent-Hopkins play the net presence role.

Lander and Pouliot are competing for that net presence role. One for each unit.

As long as the super-skilled guys are not hard on puck retrieval and are allergic to the front of the net, a good coach will have Lander on the PP.

leadfarmer:

51. Ryan says:

godot10: The Detroit Red Wings drafted Riley Sheehan in the first round, who is pretty much Anton Lander.

Hm. Sheahan was drafted a year later than Lander. He’s 2 inches taller, 27 pounds heavier… He’s already passed Lander in NHL games played and points.

You think Detroit would trade Lander straight across?

52. wheatnoil says:

leadfarmer:

If Lander can produce a season like the latter half of this one, then given his defensive ability, I think he could transition well into the Gordon role. I think that’s a highly valuable pick.

Ryan: Hm.Sheahan was drafted a year later than Lander.He’s 2 inches taller, 27 pounds heavier…He’s already passed Lander in NHL games played and points.

You think Detroit would trade Lander straight across?

Riley Sheehan is NOT a potential top six player. Detroit does NOT always draft players with top 6 potential, EVEN IN THE FIRST ROUND (which was the assertion).

Sheehan is a bigger and perhaps a slightly better version of Lander, but then he didn’t have to go through the screwed up development decision making of Edmonton management.

54. Ryan says:

wheatnoil,

One problem.

Even the Oilers in the middle of a rebuild under poor management in the middle of the Great white North were able to sign Gordon in his prime for fairly reasonabl(ish) dollars.

55. Dashingsilverfox says:

Nonsense.

Riley Sheahan was drafted a year after Lander and with Detroit’s slower development system didn’t receive any significant playing time in the NHL until last season (42 games) and this season (79 games).

The boxcars:

Lander – 132GP 8G 20A 28P

Sheahan – 123GP 22G 38A 60P

Lander had a one year head start and Sheahan has passed him like a house on the side of the road.

If you want to compare apples to apples…Tomas Tatar was selected 20 spots after Lander in the 2009 draft.

Tatar – 182GP 53G 103P

56. Ryan says:

wheatnoil: Although I agree that when it comes to forwards, you should swing for top 6 candidates as opposed to bottom of the roster types, I do think there is one exception to that. Centres that can handle the defensive end of the ice while batting above the Mendoza line (as LT put it) are highly valuable. The Gordon role, so to speak. That role is essential to the top 6 (or 9) being able to do their job. For instance, Gordon’s role being performed well I think is the most valuable forward on the team short of the 1-line. Just compare how Belanger and Gordon compared in that role.

Boyd Gordon last year: 6-7-13 minus 5.
    Eric Belanger 2011: 4-12-16 minus 13.

Neither of these guys are players you spend draft picks hoping to find.

Players like this or Marcel Goc are always available.

57. Gally says:

Does anyone really care if a prospect is from the Edmonton area, other than media lacking narratives to throw around? I see it tossed around sometimes, but I’d draft 48 straight guys from Israel if it won us a cup, over the past 25 seasons post Gretzky spent procuring good ole Central Alberta boys, and those a stone throw or four in Saskatchewan.

Also, why do so many gleefully throw waiver moves, etc, on Eakins? He was the coach, not the GM. Sure, the coach has some input, but the reason Babcock might potentially leave Detroit, if he does, is because he wants more say over roster decisions, and he’s not getting that in Detroit. Coaches generally coach, with some input, GM’s make the decisions, and Rick Olczyk bungled the CBA.

58. eidy says:

Heading into that draft I was hoping for Kulikov and scared like hell that Glennie and Cowan were going to be the choices. Was quite happy to see MPS get drafted and still hope he finds his way back to the NHL.

As for the later rounds passing twice on Cody Eakins (54 gp 48 points) to take Abney (48 games 4 points) and Hesketh was absolutely atrocious. If Stu loses his job, it might be because of the 2009 draft.

Dashingsilverfox: Nonsense.

The boxcars:

Lander – 132GP 8G 20A 28P

Sheahan – 123GP 22G 38A 60P

Tatar – 182GP 53G 103P

Sheehan was drafted 20th OV vs. 40th for Lander, so he has a better toolkit, size and skating ability, so he probably is better, but he was drafted NOT to play on the top two lines.

60. Ryan says:

Dashingsilverfox,

I don’t understand why people always call you a troll, lol.

I agree with you more often then most people here… Well except when you’re trolling… Much of the time, you do a great job of keeping people here honest.

If you could just learn to hate the Flames and Canucks, we’d mostly be on the same page. 🙂

Gally:

Also, why do so many gleefully throw waiver moves, etc, on Eakins? He was the coach, not the GM. Sure, the coach has some input, but the reason Babcock might potentially leave Detroit, if he does, is because he wants more say over roster decisions, and he’s not getting that in Detroit. Coaches generally coach, with some input,GM’s make the decisions, and Rick Olczyk bungled the CBA.

Babcock is contemplating leaving Detroit because he wants more than $3 million per season which is what Ken Holland makes. He believes he owes it to the coaching fraternity to raise the bar. He is balancing this against being in a good hockey situation and wanting to win more Cups.

I don’t think he has much problem with personel input in Detroit.

He and Holland a currently in a stare down. One has to get a lot closer to the deadline to discern where the bottomline of each side is. Both sides understand what the other is doing.

62. wheatnoil says:

Ryan:
    wheatnoil,

One problem.

I think Gordon’s signing was MacT’s high point. Finding effective bottom 6 talent is what he did best. Personally I think Gordon is among the best in the NHL at his role and getting him signed was a brilliant move by MacT, as opposed to an easy run of the mill signing.

That all said, you make a valid point that these guys CAN be signed. I still think Lander covers the bet as a pick while acknowledging I still prefer drafting for offense when getting a forward.

63. Dashingsilverfox says:

godot10: Lander had to survive Oilers management and development. Detroit would have developed him properly and faster.

Detroit has always had a top 6 that allows them to take the time to find out what they have.

Sheehan has outscored every forward taken after him (PPG) in the 2010 draft except for Tyler Toffoli who is the Tyler the Oilers should have taken at 31.

Remember each draft is unique and you have to pick from who is available.

Sheahan was a great choice then and now.

Lander wasn’t.

64. hunter1909 says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    Crap…Isles lose and are eliminated.

Only 2 favourites left.

Go Wild Go!

Go Flames GO!

I also want Minnesota to win. Washington is my other bandwagon dark horse pick.

Openly trolling for the Flames; the high water mark of your DSF anti-Oiler schtick.

Post McMiracle, Seeing Flames fans trolling me reminds me of a remark given to an English fan from a German in a soccer chatroom following a 5-1 shock drubbing of his national team; “Enjoy your moment of glory, Island Apes.”

65. hunter1909 says:

Critiquing the Lowe era Oilers is going to make some smart student their PHD some day.

66. Dashingsilverfox says:

hunter1909:

Kind of like doing a critique of the Italian army in WWII.

Their tanks had 6 speeds…all of them reverse.

67. wheatnoil says:

Ryan: Boyd Gordon last year:6-7-13 minus 5.
    Eric Belanger 2011:4-12-16 minus 13.

Neither of these guys are players you spend draft picks hoping to find.

Players like this or Marcel Goc are always available.

That’s not really a fair comparison. Gordon faces among the worst defensive zone starts in the league and has been doing it for years. Points don’t tell that side of the story.

wheatnoil:

That said, Lander had not shown an ability to do what Gordon does yet. Again, you’re right. If you don’t bring offense, you have to bring a LOT of defense to the table to cover the bet. We’ll have to see if Lander can strike that balance.

69. wheatnoil says:

godot10: In his early twenties, Gordon had not shown an ability to do what Gordon does now.

I agree. I’m a Lander fan and I think he can get there. He brought enough offense this year, which was the knock. I’m projecting him to take Gordon’s role and I think that’s highly valuable.

I’m also acknowledging that, in fairness, he’s not Gordon yet and he may never be. We’ll have to see. I do think, as a draft pick, he’s covered the bet. The only one from the 2009 draft to do so.

70. hunter1909 says:

Dashingsilverfox: Kind of like doing a critique of the Italian army in WWII.

Their tanks had 6 speeds…all of them reverse.

71. Dashingsilverfox says:

hunter1909: I’m Irish enough to know McDavid has Bobby Orr level qualities of competitiveness.

He seems to.

I hope he has better knees.

72. Aitch says:

I’m hoping that Anton Lander will turn out to be the Ray Whitney to Paajarvi’s Pat Falloon. Whitney didn’t blossom until his sixth season after being drafted (by an expansion franchise. Which when you think about is pretty much the situation that the Oilers were in not long after the 2009 draft.)

73. spoiler says:

Orr is an Ulster name originating from Scotland, isn’t it?

74. spoiler says:

After all these years, Don Cherry has finally out-ed himself on this blog.

75. SwedishPoster says:

Detroit looks for top 6 and #3C when picking fwds. Lander would cover that in 2009 as far as projections go. And he looks like he after a bumpy road is heading into that #3C realm just now. Considering how dodgy the 2009 draft looks that’s a fine pick, not stellar but fine.

76. Unicorns says:

Lander was a great pick. He is a solid all round player with some jam. He is right now Pisani or whatever role player you like but he is also a centre and can score points with actual players. His value will become more apparent when there is actually something on the line – Nuge too.

The Oilers have not as long as I can remember taken advantage of players emerging like Lander. They and we look with envy at other teams doing it. They have either put them behind one dimensional players they man crush or too far above pay scale and blamed them for it.

Pajaarvi plays a Euro league style. He is a very good player, but he needs to go home and dominate Euro leagues and get paid. He doesn’t have enough agro for the NHL. Try to catch some highlights of Zetterberg gooning Stamkos this series, that is what it takes and the lad isn’t into that.

It was known, they should have looked elsewhere because they didn’t like his player type. Gilbert, Petry, all the undersized skill forwards are all gone except Eberle and for now Yak. Pointless drafting, it’s not like they flipped them all for better players they liked more. Drafted and wasted or discarded. The little guys pretty much to a man haven’t made much of an impact anywhere outside of E and Y.

I hope Peachy doesn’t draft players he will never promote because sideburns and sees what he has for what it is and takes advantage.

77. Adam Wu says:

Regarding Lander, the idea that his development was hurt by being rushed “too early” into the NHL is really 5% narrative and 95% confirmation bias.

All we really know is that when he was put in the NHL he was not ready, and it took him 6 years of further development to become ready. What we do NOT know, and can NEVER know, is whether or not, if only he had not been exposed so early to the NHL, his development would have turned out any differently. It may well be that he would have taken 6 years to become NHL ready no matter what was done.

Any talk about “hurting his confidence” or whatnot is nothing more than presuppositional post hoc justification for the narrative that you want confirmed.

78. Unicorns says:

I’m Irish enough to know it’s because he has red hair. Look at how many dominant players have it or some of it in playoff beards. Born warriors, boys and girls alike. Some kind of fire in the DNA.

Harder to see in the girl’s playoff beards though.

79. SwedishPoster says:

Adam Wu,

Ofc we don’t know how a different approach would have affected Landers development, but in general it’s smart to leave swedish forwards in Sweden until they starts inching close to PPG.
    Neither Lander nor MPS was at that point. With the swedes coming up from juniors early it’s such a focus on handling the defensive side that they tend to lose some offensive touch, once they’ve fully earned the right to play offense they regain that touch. You need to learn how to drive the Volvo before getting the keys to the Porsche. Makes for defensively sound players but sometimes stifle the offensive development. If you look at swedes coming into the league they very rarely set the scoreboard on fire right off the bat, especially the two way guys and in some cases it takes a few years.

80. Kmart99 says:

Adam Wu:

Yup

Player 1 14/15
    .455 pts/gm
    5 PP pts

Player 2 14/15
    .526 pts/gm
    4 PP pts

According to the resident narrative machine, player 1 is a wonderful future top 6 C who was a great pick at 21st overall.

Player 2 is a disaster of a pick, a player who is readily available every year and wasn’t worth the time to pick at 40th overall

Player 2 is 7 1/2 months older than player 1.

Lordy

82. DocFan says:

Draft teams put in an incredible amount of effort trying to figure out the variables that predict real NHL players. At best, it’s an educated guess. That’s not to say you can’t do better – that’s why you re-evaluate and make changes going forward.

It’s an easy critique to say who you would have picked, but that sort of criticism means nothing when looking back.

You can’t judge a draft based on choosing one player over another. Like LT does, you need to look at the draft class as a whole, 5 years later.

83. GCW_69 says:

This draft drove me nuts. Bob McKenzie had Kulikov at number 9 and when he was still available when the Oilers picked I was screaming “Pick Kulikov, you assholes!”

I was pretty happy with Lander at 40 and Rajala but Hesketh and Abney were maddening. What a roller coaster draft.

Sigh. How could would Kulikov look on the Oilers defence today?

84. meanashell11 says:

hunter1909:

Or as the English said to Germany in 1966, “we not only beat you at our national sport but beat you twice this century at yours!”

85. Pouzar says:

As a Red Sox fan this does not compute:

After 20 years at Turner Field the Braves are moving to new ballpark.

86. Yeti says:

DocFan: I’ve never understood why people insist on commenting on who we should have picked at a certain spot. You have the incredible advantage of hindsight.

87. DocFan says:

Yeti: You’re kidding, right? I’m absolutely certain that the management thought they were picking the right players in the 3rd round of the 2009 draft. In their minds they had ‘snuck’ one over other teams. However, if we can’t sit back and say that the evaluation process and metrics that led to Troy Hesketh and Cam ‘Kapow!’ Abney being picked in round three was not deeply, deeply, flawed then I guess we should comment on nothing.

I’m actually saying exactly what you are saying. My point is you can’t evaluate a draft year or draft team/management based on “if we had picked Player X with our 3rd round pick, look at the player we would have.
    At an individual level, its easy to second guess decisions in hindsight.

Looking at your draft record as a whole (i.e. constantly picking coke machines) and looking at the number of NHL games played by your drafted players over 5 years – those are large scale metrics that are an example of either the strength or weakness of your drafting ability.

88. Yeti says:

DocFan: Obviously, now days, drafting is the key to building a contender. I completely agree with you on the disaster that was the 2009 draft. All i’m saying is you can’t take that in isolation.

Yes, that’s all fair. I very much like what LT is doing by talking of the next five picks as comparables (i.e. what was on the table) for context. It might also be very useful to say who went in the three picks beforehand, because that would show whether the pick was good compared to other team’s thought processes immediately prior. That might balance out the discussion nicely.

89. Ryan says:

DocFan:

Wow dude.

Did you ever consider the possibility that some people here followed the 2009 draft at the time?

Much of this isn’t revisionist history…

90. Yeti says:

Ryan: Much of this isn’t revisionist history…

Ryan, I don’t like what you are suggesting here. It isn’t the Oilers’ fault that they mistakenly thought that Hesketh was going to college the following year when in fact it was two years down the road (as immediately highlighted by Guy Standing). And it’s not the Oilers’ fault that Cameron Abney didn’t develop the powerforward potential that they had somehow painstakingly discerned from his inability to score at any level prior to the draft (as every commentator at the time remarked). The important thing is that other teams had their eyes on these players and the Oilers had to act quick – in the third frickin round – to prove that they were the smartest team in professional sports anywhere on the planet.

91. Pouzar says:

Come on Tampa….finish em off!

92. Ca$h-Money! says:

As far as failed coke machine bets go, Bigos is the gold standard. He had a shot to turn into something useful. It didn’t pan out but the shot was there, and he was taken in the outlying rounds.

93. Yeti says:

Ca$h-Money!: It’s kinda funny, as bad a pick as Abney was, he was actually the second worst pick of that draft. He seems to be the poster child for terrible coke machine picks, but Hesketh may well have been worse.

For me the really funny thing is that, even if we forget all about the ‘powerforward’ tag and say Abney was picked purely as an enforcer, they managed to pick a failed enforcer. With a third round pick!

94. Hammers says:

What a draft. The first 2 where great but then management and coaching screwed them up . Repeat and rinse. Oh those Oilers .

95. russ99 says:

I wonder if Paajarvi had stayed here rather than been buried in St. Louis, he’d be well ahead of where Lander is today.

I also hope MPS is a cautionary tale for the Oilers not to go after Hitchcock as head coach. We’re not at a point in the overall age/size/development curve of the roster for us to go with a coach like that.

96. Nostradumbass says:

russ99:

A coach like what exactly?

That wants NHL players to be able to contribute at a pro level?

Hitchcock gave up on MPS because he’s ineffective at generating any kind of offence against a zone/box + 1 defence

Maybe we need a coach that can identify what players can play at the NHL level and which can’t

97. krash101 says:

Does anybody know what the hell happened with Rajala? The media did a poor job inquiring into him being let go. He was on a HUGE rise and just…gone.

HIm and Reider would of increased our overall drafting success a little bit, how disappointing.

98. striatic says:

I can see Chiarelli not liking RNH’s lack of face off production.

Bergeron has been a break even guy on face-offs since he was a rookie, and hovers around 60% these days. Krejci is routinely a 52-55% guy. That’s a lot of face-offs won by top 2 Centres.

Assuming McDavid loses a lot of face-offs as a rookie, Chiarelli will have the inverse situation in Edmonton. Not that Chiarelli would trade RNH, but this would have to be a deficiency he’d notice.

Boston really is opposite of Edmonton in the Face-off department. We think of Boyd Gordon as some sort of face-off whiz, but on the Bruins he’s comparable to Krejci.

Team support has a lot to do with winning face-offs and I’m sure Chiarelli will work on improving this, but when Chiarelli talks about playing heavy, Nuge’s sub 50% FO% will not cut it.

99. striatic says:

russ99: I hope that Penguins first pick is worth it. At this point that trade is a bit of a wash, since acquiring Perron during tanking years (though not obvious at the time) wasn’t really the best use of assets…

It would have been had they traded him last summer at peak value, as some people suggested.

Then again we got McDavid, so, good use of assets i guess.