16 SHELLS FROM A THIRTY-OUGHT-SIX

There’s a thing that’s happening in Oilersnation and I’m not really sure what to do about it. It goes something like this: Peter Chiarelli says something vague and benign, but fans parse the words into something fearsome. I’m at a loss about what to do about it, honestly. At some level it’s none of my business—people have a right to get themselves into a lather, God knows I have over the years—but it we stick to the facts it’s terribly difficult to create a nightmare scenario over Chiarelli’s arrival and possible moves. Consider:

• Chiarelli is a veteran GM with a very strong resume. This is a bona fide executive.
  • The Oilers talent base is a big reason he’s here—there are good days ahead if good decisions are made.
  • The value of the No. 1 overall pick, of Taylor Hall, or RNH, is so enormous that even a stand alone deal would have to boggle the mind.

There’s no reason to panic. This has been an astounding month in Oilers history, please please please enjoy it. I mean really enjoy it. These are the good old days, to borrow a line from Carly Simon. And, please understand, Peter Chiarelli isn’t going to trade the No. 1 overall pick. When a man finds riches untold, does he give it up? No he does not. You are free to buy your “McDavid No. 97” Oilers jersey, I suggest getting home and away.

• Peter Chiarelli: “I don’t have any intention to do something drastic. I’m not coming in guns-ablazing…It is very hard to find good players.” Source

That’s exactly right. Taylor Hall scored 80 points in 2013-14, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins plays the toughest opposition at 21 and survives (while scoring 50+ points), Jordan Eberle’s hands remain a national treasure and Connor McDavid may be actual hockey Jesus. Music! In fact, more than that! What comes after music? Whatever it is, that!

If Taylor Hall was that guy, we’d know it by now. He isn’t. He wants to be part of the team when they win, he wants this story to include Stanley and he wants to be an Oiler when he wins it. That’s a good thing!

• Elliotte Friedman: Chiarelli did not confirm, but it is believed he had at least one conversation with Toronto before ending up in Edmonton. Source

Another indication that the Oilers are heading in a good direction. We don’t know what was discussed—I suspect the job description in Toronto is not close to the GM job here—but it’s still nice to win one here, and I do think Chiarelli coming here is exactly that—a win.

• Chiarelli about  McDavid: “His dynamic speed, his pursuit of the puck, he sees the ice really well. The Greyhounds are a tough team and he battles. He battles well for the skill and speed that he has. On TV you can see the speed with which he attacks the net, but when you’re here and you see the level of speed he gets to and the gears he has, well, that’s impressive.” Source

Connor McDavid is going to make me weep. I cannot wait and sincerely hope we all live long enough to see it. Eat your vegetables, take care and hurry sundown.

I’ve said this before, but it’s been awhile. When teams get good, players fall into their laps. It’s kind of nuts, but a winning team attracts more good players and this young O’Connor fellow may in fact be an example. We’ll see. I hope he comes here, mostly because of that goal and how he handled it. I’d like things to work out for him, suspect it’ll be fine no matter the choice he makes.

Would you be satisfied with a depth chart of Antti Niemi—Ben Scrivens—Laurent Brossoit—Matt O’Connor—Eetu Laurikainen? I’d be fine with it as long as the Niemi contract wasn’t too dear or for too long—and before you post anything, I am, as always, mindful of the brilliance of Michal Neuvirth and his special status on this blog. I would welcome him in the No. 1 role as well.

I think Marincin is the stronger candidate, if you package him with a pick, that should get you an experienced blue. Klefbom will play next season and I do believe Darnell Nurse will spend much or all of the year with the Oilers. Barons are in action tonight, I’ll update the score in the comments section.

109 Responses to "16 SHELLS FROM A THIRTY-OUGHT-SIX"

1. coolwasabi says:

Oilers fans are just in denial that the bad times are over. Over the last few years, the Oilers have continued to hit new rock bottoms. Fans are just afraid that Chiarelli will continue this trend (e.g. by trading McDavid).

It won’t happen. Never. We’re clear of bad times now.

Then again… Seguin….

Anyway. The Matt O’Connor situation is interesting.
    The other teams in the mix are Vancouver (Miller/Lack), NYR (Talbot), and Ottawa (Anderson/Lehner). Even if the Oilers miss out on Matt O’Connor, they could still benefit by trading with one of the above teams that gets him.

I’m fine with Niemi (or Michal Neuvirth), but am optimistic that Chiarelli can make a creative trade too.

2. Ca$h-Money! says:

The thing about trading Connor McDavid that people are ignoring is Katz.

I realise Chia is in charge, but he still answers to the owner. Having McDavid on this team, assuming he lives up to his potential, increases the value of this club in a way that a package of 3 or 4 players simple won’t do, even if they are really good. Seriously, McDavid has to make Mr. Katz about $100,000,000.00 richer. Look at the value Crosby added to the Penguins franchise, it’s insane.

3. paqtwinn says:

Yes. Exactly. Bang on. Why would PC come here to crater his career. As another Peter (Townsend) said the kids are alright.

I believe the word that comes after music….transcendence.

4. danieldelair says:

I noticed in 30 Thoughts that Friedman credited Lowe as playing a decent part in brining Chiarelli to town. To me, that seemed strange. Is this Lowe striving for redemption? Will we have to forgive him if the Oil hit the playoffs next year?

5. Thor762 says:

I think that having McDavid helps out Taylor Hall a lot. Not just for the passing, but now Hall doesn’t have to pull the entire team by himself as he had to do some nights. Less chance of Hall trying to do too much by himself and it costing him.

12 days into Anno McDomini. (AMcD)

Anno McDomini is Medieval Latin, translated as “In the year of Our McLord”.

6. Younger Oil says:

Can we please stop trading Marincin? Chia isn’t MacT, he may actually see the Marincin is one of the best defenders on the team.

Chia also doesn’t have a hard on for Justin Schultz like MacT did.

Chia has gotten some use out of a large Slovakian defender in the past, I’m not convinced he will give up on Marincin.

Younger Oil:

Chia also doesn’t have a hard on for Justin Schultz like MacT did.

Maybe he’ll trade for the other Slovakian!

8. RexLibris says:

You are free to buy your “McDavid No. 97″ Oilers jersey, I suggest getting home and away.

You know what I love about the NHL’s merchandising rules (and it really isn’t much of a list)? It’s that you cannot buy a Wayne Gretzky Flames or Leafs jersey.

Music! In fact, more than that! What comes after music?

Applause.

And girls.

——–

But Neu-*…

…oh…alright.

9. blainer says:

The hiring of Chia is excellent. MacT made his bed and should not be surprised by his demotion.. his handling of Petry and inability to assess talent on D and in Net was awful. I will give him credit on the Perron trade and I liked it at the time. That is going to have immense value on the draft floor. I actually have confidence PC can turn this around a lot faster than MacT.

It’s been a long time since I have been this optimistic. McDavid is gonna make everyone around him better simply because the players want to play with him.. And the play of Nurse .. wow.. he may actually make the team… I am expecting career years from Hall Ebs and RNH.. I even believe that Jultz can turn it around if used in the proper way..

Via Eric Rodgers

R.Hamilton-Williams-C.Hamilton
    Winquist-Stretch-Miller
    K.Jones-C.Jones-Ford
    Moroz-Khaira-Winchester

Davidson-Hunt
    Simpson-Musil
    Marincin-Oesterle
    Bachman in net.

Khaira back in the lineup for the first time since Mar 4 (again, via Rodgers)

11. RexLibris says:

Evidence of the worth of that decision can be seen in Josh Winquist.

If MacTavish’s role were to be to travel Europe and the NCAA and scout talent in a fashion similar to what Green had been doing (amateur free agent acquisition was, I believe, the title) I think that would be a good use of his skills.

He could work underneath Chiarelli and then branch out on his own in due time. He’s a good man and could be a good manager in due time. Another organization where he doesn’t have the Oilers swagger to fall back on may be the best place for him.

I’m hoping that someone within the Oilers organization, Stauffer or another media person, is quietly collecting notes on what Kevin Lowe is doing these days.

If he was involved in bringing in Chiarelli then it would imply that he took the organization out of the hands of Katz’s collection of old friends and put it in the care of someone eminently qualified.

12. RexLibris says:

Via Eric Rodgers

R.Hamilton-Williams-C.Hamilton
    Winquist-Stretch-Miller
    K.Jones-C.Jones-Ford
    Moroz-Khaira-Winchester

Davidson-Hunt
    Simpson-Musil
    Marincin-Oesterle
    Bachman in net.

Khaira back in the lineup for the first time since Mar 4 (again, via Rodgers)

Interesting d-pairings.

Chaos and Order in every line.

That forward group seems surprisingly low on drafted prospects. Four by my count.

Hurry on, class of 2013.

13. Tire Fire says:

Thor762,

Anno McDomini. In the year of our McLord.

That’s so good.

14. Michelangelo-McDavid says:

I’ve figured out!!! What the Nicholson audit revealed was a distinct lack of Connor’s within the organization.
    – The move was started with when OKC moved to Bakersfield and their name is Condor (fairly close to Connor right?)
    – We won the lottery and will draft Connor McDavid.
    – We will sign Matt O’Connor
    – We need defense depth and will trade for Connor Murphy
    – Then will draft Kyle Connor.
    – And finally to rid themselves from the old boys club will rename our selves the Connordores.

We are going to corner the martket on Connor’s.

15. Numenius says:

RexLibris: I think MacTavish has an eye for talent and he was bright enough to bring Bob Green onboard.

Evidence of the worth of that decision can be seen in Josh Winquist.

MacT does seem to have an eye for talent, though it seems to be more for F than D.

But this deficiency at D is nicely counterbalanced by Chiarelli, who has been known to find some darn good D.

The two of them together might be a lethal combination.

I hope MacT stays.

16. Traktor says:

When does Babcock officially become a free agent and would Edmonton possibly have to give up compensation if they hire him before a certain point?

I haven’t said much about Chia… he should be good.. I’m not giving him magnificent bastard status yet.

Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, and Marchand were not his draft picks and the interim GM signed Savard and Chara, plus someone else traded for Rask. If you start a club with those pieces its not that miraculous to fill in the pieces. Most of his trades average at best. I don’t want to take anything away from him. I’m just saying. He has a lot of experience in different situations so that’s valuable.

danieldelair:

This is ego management PR by Nicholson and Chiarelli. Just as VP of Hockey Operations for MacT will be ego management.

Thing #1 and Thing #2 are not good losers, so throw them a bone with an impressive title and say nice things about them. MacT might actually be okay as a lieutenant rather than as the commander.

18. Bobbin Roundlee says:

I can see MacT sticking around and “apprenticing” under Chiarelli. Katz obviously has a hard time letting go of his his Boys on the Bus friends and this would be a way to keep him around and groom him for the GM job or who knows what in the future.

As to Chiarelli doing something drastic with the “core”? Not until he can evaluate the players under HIS coach and his tenure.

19. thejonrmcleod says:

Forgive me if this has already been posted, but Stauffer tweeted this a few days ago:

“Contrary to some reports earlier this week, I am told Oilers prospect Anton Slepyshev has NOT signed new deal in KHL. I would not be surprised if the Oilers signed Slepyshev to an ELC some time this spring.”

Traktor:

Chiarelli officially became GM after the draft, so Chara and Savard were his signings I cannot remember if he was only restricted with respect to the draft, or whether he could be involved in trades prior to the conclusion of the draft.

21. spoiler says:

I believe it was KLowe who brought in Bob Green.

22. nelson88 says:

what’s the story with Yak2’s injury? is he out for the year?

23. Traktor says:

godot10: Chiarelli officially became GM after the draft, so Chara and Savard were his signingsI cannot remember if he was only restricted with respect to the draft, or whether he could be involved in trades prior to the conclusion of the draft.

“We were really aggressive out of the gate,” interim general manager Jeff Gorton said in a conference call, noting that he made his first call to Chara’s agent at 12:01 p.m., and the deal was agreed to at about 3 p.m.
    Per the agreement between Boston and Ottawa, Chiarelli — who does not officially take over the Bruins until July 15 — was not allowed to advise Boston about any of the Senators free agents.

24. LoDog says:

Traktor,

Thought I saw sometime in june but can’t find it now. He won’t have a contract so no compensation imwould think.

As for oiler fans being paranoid well 9 years of craptacular hockey will do that to a fan base.

Good times are ahead but the bad times have jaded many.

25. Michelangelo-McDavid says:

godot10,

I believe technically he wasn’t part of the organization until after the signings, but he came from the Ottawa organization (obviously where Chara was) so I’d have a hard time being convinced he had 0 influence on that signing.

26. Numenius says:

godot10: Thing #1 and Thing #2 are not good losers,

Kudos to him if he’s humble enough to take a position below Chiarelli, no matter what the name.

27. D says:

LT,

I know others alluded to this already. But for a fanbase that has been burned continually since the late 1980s, it will be difficult to overcome the skepticism until consistently good outcomes are demonstrated. For me, I might not get over all of the skepticism until I see Connor McDavid RETIRE as an Oiler – then I might be convinced that the mismanagement that has plagued this organization since the departure of Paul Coffey has finally been reversed.

28. Oiler94 says:

LT , This maybe a irrelevant comparison but chia went to Boston and signed his man Chara from Ottawa. I realize that Dougie Hamilton is a Rfa but do you think he will present an offer sheet or a package with either draisatl or nurse? Just something I’ve contemplated the last few days

29. prefonmich says:

I think although our heads might say PC is a good manager with a strong resume our hearts say this is all too good to be true. Something bad is about to happen. After years of some truly horrible decisions it is very difficult to flip that switch and just believe. That said I really hope PC is as good at evaluating d as his past has shown. If so he should absolutely not trade Marincin.

Numenius: This is too strong. If MacT weren’t a good loser, he wouldn’t stay with the organization at all.

Did you watch them play hockey? They aren’t good losers. What was a strength there is somewhat of a liability in the roles they had for the last decade.

MacT will probably stay because nobody hired him the last time he “wasn’t” fired. What choice does he have but to swallow his pride?

He may actually be good in a support role. Inverse Peter’s Principle. Demoted into competence.

31. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Chiarelli would have seen the Rangers a lot.

Could see a deal centred around Talbot and a D: Klein or Staal (hopefully not Girardi) for Marincin and picks (Pens’ 1st). Dear price to pay but perhaps Chia is high conviction on Talbot?

Don’t know but that’s a scenario I prefer to trading pieces for Anderson, who is approaching his best-by date.

32. leadfarmer says:

Numenius,

His signing of Ference, Nikitin, both goalies, the two missing NHL caliber centers at the start of the year would suggest otherwise. Katz seems to be that boss that shuffles his incompetent managers into position of lesser importance instead of canning them.

33. spoiler says:

leadfarmer:
    Numenius,

Numenius said he was weak on D. The goalies are acknowledged by most here as a reasonable bet, and we know he offered Cs contracts, and tried to trade for Anisimov. Perron trade, Hendricks etc. I think Numenius makes a fair point.

34. cabbiesmacker says:

I’d forgotten that Marty Reasoner was traded from Edmonton to Boston in 06, along with Stastny and a second rounder for Samsonov.

That second rounder became Milan Lucic roughly 4 months later and Marty missed the cup run. DOH.

Then Reasoner re-signed as a free agent that July just in time for the wheels to start wobbling.

Poor bastidge

35. Yak2 says:

LT,

Where did you get Laurikainen from? Or is that just a suggestion? As for Marincin to OTT, I’d trade him for Cowen, who apparently is available.

36. Dead Oiler walking says:

Lowe had worked with Nicholson at Hockey Canada for years. He was instrumental in bringing Nic into the fold. He offered to resign and was kept on by Katz. Lowe worked with Nic to find his own replacement. They both worked with Chiarelli at HC and obviously were impressed by the quick action to bring him aboard.

I believe Lowe was involved all along because he bleeds this franchise and has put up with hell to try and make it work. Don’t forget Sather left because he couldn’t work with the EIG, It’s hard to get 30 entrepreneurs on the same page at the best of times let alone when a 66 cent dollar forced them to spend $1.50 Canadian for every $1.00 US of salary.

MacT at V-P hockey ops puts him between Chiarelli the POHO and Chiarelli the GM. Should make for some interesting three way conversations.

Yak2:
    LT,

There was a rumor floating around a few weeks ago.

38. Evilas says:

RexLibris,

Actually there are 5 drafted players on that line-up (Winchester) lol.

39. AsiaOil says:

Not convinced about Michal Neuvirth at all – and you would think that after Conklin, Markkanen, Scrivens, Fasth etc that people would be a bit more inclined to see the value of proven starter performance over a season or two. I could see buying some Niemi if the price was about $4 million – but would be happier with Anderson at a cap hit of $3.5 million.

….and for the folks who still can’t wrap their heads around the fact that DD had a solid reputation in the league – even last year – here is a piece of a recent article about DD with quotes from Bob Mason who is the MIN goalie coach.

“The Wild’s front office was in Florida for scouting meetings when the team was floundering in mid-January. The Wild had just lost 12 of 14 games, the last an ugly 7-2 setback in Pittsburgh, and pressure to trade for a goalie was building. But general manager Chuck Fletcher, concerned by an injury to Darcy Kuemper and the ineffectiveness of veteran Niklas Backstrom, had already set the process into motion. “We felt we needed to do something as soon as possible,” he said. Starting goalies are hard to find midseason, however. The Wild front office had two legitimate options — Dubnyk and Buffalo Sabres goalie Jhonas Enroth. Fletcher called Wild goalie coach Bob Mason and asked for his opinion. Mason didn’t hesitate; he had always been a fan of Dubnyk. When the Wild were looking for a goaltender late last season, Mason had pitched Dubnyk before Minnesota landed Ilya Bryzgalov. Mason had watched Dubnyk take expanded practice when the Predators were in Minnesota for a game in February. At the time, Dubnyk had a 3.43 goals-against average and was close to being sent to the minors. But Mason walked away impressed. “I saw solid fundamentals and a good skill set,” he said.
    So when Fletcher asked for Mason’s opinion, the goalie coach was ready. “I said, ‘Get Dubnyk.’

40. elpolodiablo says:

Was looking at Friedman’s article, would be interesting if Burke signs here and they land Dubnyk as a free agent signing

Dead Oiler walking:

.Don’t forget Sather left because he couldn’t work with the EIG,It’s hard to get 30 entrepreneurs on the same page at the best of times let alone when a 66 cent dollar forced them to spend $1.50 Canadian for every $1.00 US of salary.

Sather left because Nichols and the EIG demanded that Sather fire his rapper-sized entourage of old cronies collecting salaries sitting around the office telling war stories,( except for the scouting staff, which was based in Mexico).

The decade of losing in the nineties was not without cause.

42. Ice Sage says:

Methinks most Oiler fans have been conditioned to believe that we can’t ever have nice things. And even the nice things of the recent past haven’t turned out so nice.
    This spring the script changes and we should be confidently optimistic but… well, it feels kinda weird.

And, really, as of this moment, nothing has changed on the ice – there’s the promise of CMcD, of ChiaPet, of new coach, Nurse, etc. but nothing more. Results, please… it’s about motherflippin’ time!

43. book¡je says:

I’m not really sure this is happening, maybe you are imagining it?

44. book¡je says:

Oh my GOD, did Chiarelli just say this was another lost development year and that the Oilers don’t have any good players. This guy is a lunatic and is going to destroy the Oilers!!!!

45. Kmart99 says:

Because of his contract, how low is Phaneuf’s value? I really think he’s going to be an Oiler next year. He’s definitely better than any oiler d man on the roster.

How little would the Oil have to give up to get him? Or would we make TO retain 1/2 his salary and hand over the Pitt pick + Davidson?

46. Pouzar says:

K Jones from Ford, Williams….1-0

47. Kmart99 says:

Here’s some gasoline for the Connor McDavid hypefire

McDavid: 36 pts 13 GP OHL
    Gretzky: 26 pts 13 GP OHA

48. frjohnk says:

Kmart99:
    Because of his contract, how low is Phaneuf’s value?I really think he’s going to be an Oiler next year.He’s definitely better than any oiler d man on the roster.

How little would the Oil have to give up to get him?Or would we make TO retain 1/2 his salary and hand over the Pitt pick + Davidson?

Phaneuf would be an upgrade next year and a couple of years after.

But that contract is too much and too long.

If Toronto could somehow retain salary and retain term ( the last couple of years) id probably say yes.

49. Kmart99 says:

frjohnk,

Yeah. I feel the same way. Phaneuf still has plenty of game left, but a contract like that can completely handcuff a gm

50. thejonrmcleod says:

Only 7 minutes until Babcock becomes the new Oilers’ coach.

51. rickithebear says:

Oconnar :
    20 and 21 yr season
    38.9gm 34.2 shots/gm .916 SV%

Nagelvoort: 19 and 20 yr season
    42.2gm 29.8 shots/gm .920 SV%

52. Suntory Hanzo says:

Kmart99,

It’s an amazing stat, but wasn’t 99 only 15/16 years old at that time?

53. Ice Sage says:

thejonrmcleod:
    Only 7 minutes until Babcock becomes the new Oilers’ coach.

Well, as to the Oil’s future coaching, I’m betting on a Todd or a ‘cock.

54. rickithebear says:

frjohnk: Phaneuf would be an upgrade next year and a couple of years after.

Phanuef: 6 yr at 7M
    1st/2ndc comp
    .186 EVP/gm
    3.02 EVGA/60

Nikitin: 1yr @ 4.5M
    1st comp
    .167 EVP/gm
    2.84 EVGA/60

Shame on you john!

55. Kmart99 says:

Suntory Hanzo:
    Kmart99,

It’s an amazing stat, but wasn’t 99 only 15/16 years old at that time?

Nope. 16/17. Edit: not sure… I thought that was during his last OHL season, now I’m not so sure.

56. Kmart99 says:

rickithebear:
    The edmonton oilers trade

Phanuef: 6 yr at 7M
    1st/2ndc comp
    .186 EVP/gm
    3.02 EVGA/60

Nikitin: 1yr @ 4.5M
    1st comp
    .167 EVP/gm
    2.84 EVGA/60

Shame on you john!

Why are EVP/gm and EVGA/gm (horrible stat for individual analysis) the only metrics you are using?

57. square_wheels says:

Ice Sage,

Yup, gotta think the aging Detroit core has gotta play a part in his decision. While Datsyuk and Zetter are still wonderful players, the wings have Tatar up front and then a pretty big gap from elite talent to the majority of the roster.

58. Ryan says:

book¡je: Oh my GOD, did Chiarelli just say this was another lost development year and that the Oilers don’t have any good players.This guy is a lunatic and is going to destroy the Oilers!!!!

So you were on record for having serious man love for tambellini… Not liking Mact… And now hating Chiarelli…

Why do you hate Chiarelli so much?

59. Southern Oil says:

So when is the presser announced about Babcock – damn I’ve been spoiled over the last few weeks. Anything is possible!

60. Lynas1 says:

Via Eric Rodgers

R.Hamilton-Williams-C.Hamilton
    Winquist-Stretch-Miller
    K.Jones-C.Jones-Ford
    Moroz-Khaira-Winchester

Davidson-Hunt
    Simpson-Musil
    Marincin-Oesterle
    Bachman in net.

Khaira back in the lineup for the first time since Mar 4 (again, via Rodgers)

That fourth line looks awfully nasty. I wouldn’t want to play against them.

61. Younger Oil says:

San Antonio tie it up with a minute left, headed to OT. Damn!

Drai with a goal tonight, the kid seems to be carrying his team offensively against Portland.

62. AsiaOil says:

elpolodiablo:

Not much of a chance – they would riot in MIN if they let DD walk after he rescued their season and led them to their first really decisive playoff victory.

A lot of similarities between MIN and the 2006 Oiler team. A great dman (Suter), team totally buying into their system, hot goalie, great possession numbers, great bottom 6 forwards etc. But that MIN team is very balanced, very deep and has more forward talent than the Oilers had with guys like Parise, Vanek, Koivu, Pomminville, Niederrider, Stewart etc etc. If DD’s play remains solid (not other-worldly – just good) then they have a real chance of going to the final. If he gets hot then they could win it all. MINN was full measure in their win over the Blues – but St Louis’ goaltending just killed them and they got no offense out of anyone but Tarasenko.

MIN loves DD and he’s happy there – so he’s likely going to stay – and MIN will likely buyout the last year of Backstrom’s contract to make room for him.

63. Ice Sage says:

square_wheels,

Yep, I’d add Nyqvist as potentially elite but that’s a far cry from Yzerman / Shanny / Federov and Zett / Datsyuk. No Lidstrom anymore to bridge / stabilize the transition.
    Hockeytown’s relocated.

64. RPG says:

I really like this Dubas quote from 30 thoughts, it sounds like something LT keeps preaching to us about the draft.

30. Will also have more about Toronto next time, but wanted to add this quote from assistant GM Kyle Dubas.

Asked if the Maple Leafs would consider passing up on Mitch Marner in the draft because they already have smallish forwards like William Nylander and Connor Brown, Dubas disagreed.

“Here’s the way I look at it,” he said. “Right now, we aren’t good enough to be picky about smaller players. We need as many elite players as we can. If we get into playoffs and are too small, or overwhelmed, it’s easier to trade small for size than draft for size and trade for skill.”

65. Pouzar says:

KHAIRA!!!!!!!!!!!

66. Pouzar says:

Nice play by Moroz off the rush to slide it over to Ford who misses net and Khaira bangs home the bounce off the boards.

Khaira scores in OT and the Barons are moving on! It’s ANOTHER MCDAVID MIRACLE!

Khaira scores in OT and the Barons are moving on! It’s ANOTHER MCDAVID MIRACLE!

The Barons were “miraculous” long Before McD. Until all the injuries and callups, they were leading the conference.

69. dangilitis says:

Yay

I thought Burke was the most intriguing thought because a gm must see that a great goalie coach heals a lot of wounds. Would Burke want a different role though? I know he likely ain’t coming but i hope they can find someone.

I also don’t agree with those who think we must keep marincin. He’s a good kid and he could play a role but he’s still a bit raw and the best d on this team can’t all be raw. If we traded him I would expect it be am upgrade as LT suggested. As PC said he’s not guns blazing and he will hopefully see his value.

I’m thrilled with PC hiring and if Kevin was helpful in bringing him I would favour Jason Gregors opinion that perhaps klowe has not been as involved in gm decisions as we may have believed. Can someone answer if and why he hired his brother and Gretzkys brother on scouting? Lt you said the second half of the highest scoring brother duo was a good scout, right?

And is Marco injured again? He did not play the last 2 games after going on a tear

70. square_wheels says:

It’s a Festivus Miracle!!

Drinks from hip flask, proceeds to pin the head of the family….

71. Gally says:

Kmart99: Do PP points not count for anything? What about CorsiRel? What about QoC? ZS? QoLinemates?

PP points have been shown to not be a particularly repeatable skill, they fluctuate wildly and are heavily influenced by luck. The analysis shows EV Points are much more skill based, especially when you remove second assists. CorsiRel etc would add more light to the fire, but he covered QoC.

Basically, with slightly harder competition, those numbers show Nikitin is slightly worse at scoring points, and less goals against happen(which considering our league worst goaltending, is remarkable). It’s simplified, and more depth is always preferred, but it pours a little water on any Phaneuf is a great D fire.

72. RPG says:

@TheAHL: .@jujhar94 tucks one behind Ellis and the @okcbarons have advanced to the Western Conference semifinals! #SAvsOKC http://t.co/RG9eSHKiTC

Who’s jumping around like that?

73. rickithebear says:

The league average for PPGF is 6.11.
    in a lot of cases given that league average
    a 3min/gm d is really only 4 60 minute segments in a season.
    those elite D pp points often result in less than 2 goal differential for a season.

that can often be 3-4M of cap cost.

give me 1.25M mark fistoric 2.06 min/gm 3.49 GA/60
    2.06 X 80gm = 164.8min/60 = 2.747 60 min segments
    6.11-3.49 = 2.62 X 2.747 = 7.2 goals

Paying guys like phanuef dollars for PP production is terrible cap use.

RPG:

Who’s jumping around like that?

Moroz?

75. book¡je says:

Ryan: So you were on record for having serious man love for tambellini…Not liking Mact…And now hating Chiarelli…

Why do you hate Chiarelli so much?

You have to read my back to back comments one after the other… Come back after doing so.

76. book¡je says:

Also, I defended Tambellini for losing when it was his mandate. I liked MacT but he was failing. Thus far I am thrilled with Chiarelli because he is not Tambellini or Mact.

77. rickithebear says:

Gally: PP points have been shown to not be a particularly repeatable skill, they fluctuate wildly and are heavily influenced by luck.The analysis shows EV Points are much more skill based, especially when you remove second assists. CorsiRel etc would add more light to the fire, but he covered QoC.

Basically, with slightlyharder competition, those numbers show Nikitin is slightly worse at scoring points, and less goals against happen(which considering our league worst goaltending, is remarkable). It’s simplified, and more depth is always preferred, but it pours a little water on any Phaneuf is a great D fire.

A man of better prose!
    understands what i have been trying to point out for 5 years.

If a 3rd comp Dman can be top 10 for EVGA. t
    1st comp dman can be below average.

though deeper playoff teams can kick the shit out of that weaker 1st comp.

Marincin-Fayne 2.17 1st comp Damn good!

78. OilOnslaught "formerly Unicorns" says:

godot10: The Barons were “miraculous” long Before McD.Until all the injuries and callups, they were leading the conference.

Too soon

79. OilOnslaught "formerly Unicorns" says:

I hope Peachy sees this thing that he’s got and his intuition and creativity take the next step.

No half broken down formerly good players on too long contracts for too much money for the
    New Oilers™. Let the Laughs own that it’s theirs.

They have the stars now. Only up and comers plundered and understated quality that doesn’t hamstring the team, old school Oiler style.

80. Numenius says:

Rockets hang on in the 3rd to win 3-2. Series tied 2-2.

Dr. Drai, 1-1-2.

81. Kmart99 says:

rickithebear: The league average for PPGF is 6.11.
    in a lot of cases given that league average
    a 3min/gm d is really only 4 60 minute segments in a season.

that can often be 3-4M of cap cost.

give me 1.25Mmark fistoric 2.06 min/gm 3.49 GA/60
    2.06 X 80gm = 164.8min/60 = 2.747 60 min segments
    6.11-3.49 = 2.62 X 2.747 = 7.2 goals

Paying guys like phanuef dollars for PP production is terrible cap use.

You make some semi decent points, but I remember reading a Dellow article on Phaneuf and he sold me on him… Goddamn my horrible memory. Not to mention the fact that that was a long time ago.

I also dont see much value in GA/60 for dmen because of the small amount of data points coupled with the fact that they are 1/6th of the ppl on the ice.

At least with shot differential you can see over time a player’s affect on his linemates via Wowy.
    Also, PP ability has more value than you’re allotting . PPG and PPA are part of it… But what about having a bomb from the point that will at least open up other options without being credited an A? What about ability to hold the zone? Take a pass make a pass?

82. v4ance says:

Mind meandering a bit.

Is it karma that we got Chirelli to make up for NOT signing David Clarkson or is it a case of doubly good karma for both situations?

Edm and Pit. Both will soon have 2 generational talents. Smaller blue collar cities that have confronted the possibilities of losing their teams in difficult economic times. Periods of great struggles in between the drafting of those great players.

83. G Money says:

Kmart99: If you say Fistric is more valuable than Phaneuf at 1/2 price then there is no hope for you.

That shouldn’t be a surprise, Fistric is also better than Shea Weber donchaknow.

I am not a fan of using Corsi for D men, it’s a poor measure, but GA is even worse, especially for third pairing guys that don’t get a lot ice time, let alone against top opposition.

84. icecastles says:

I’ve long derided LT’s musical selections. But today you quote Tom Waits… I’m as impressed as I am shocked. Beautifully done.

Okay, I suppose I should read the actual article now. (secretly afraid to discover you’re actually referencing some gawd-awful cover version by Steely Dan or Supertramp or lord knows who else)

85. rickithebear says:

Kmart and Gmoney
    the league average for EG 2.33
    PP is 6.11

rettyfucking simple.

below average bad.
    Above average good.

shea weber without Rinne fucking awful at even.

GA is made up of even play and Pk.
    with the odd shit dman costing PPGa.

48-50 min of even play
    the rst Special teams.
    an average team will have
    Even: 48/60 X 2.33 = 1.86 EVGA/gm for that even period.

Mark Fistric 2nd/3rd comp was 1.47 EVGA/60 @ 13.13min at even.
    13.13/48 X 1.47 = .40 EVGA/gm

the other 34.87 min the 1st/2nd comp d pairs can give up 1.46 EVGA/gm to equate to average
    that works out to a 2.51 EVGA/60 rate.

that gives them room to be less than average.

what the fuck do you think
    Petry 2nd comp 3.02 EVGA/60 does to us?
    Schultz’s 2.91 EVGA/60 does to us?

How fucking stupid do you have to be to not get this aspect of team.

We want d pairs that take up small pieces of the pie.

See the EVGA of the LAK top 6 D in 13-14.
    3rd line forwards were the kind of low GA to outscore.

Outscore!
    outscore!
    outscore!

3.01 does not do that!

this year!
    Marincin-Fayne 1st comp 2.11 yahoo!
    KLefbom – XXX

Fistric-Petry 2nd comp 0.98 EVGA/60
    can you imagine the buffer that gives the other pairs.

86. 12 Days AD says:

Hey guys this article is taking alot of flak from flames fans.

I think the stats that this guy uses are solid. If anyone has an opinion id love to hear it

87. PhrankLee says:

MacT will stay. He must if this club is to stop talking about sacrifice and begin showing the players with actions they are humble enough and care enough to improve even at personal loss of pride and favour.

Not to just be talking heads. It is very important to a culture starved team to see the top on down willing to do anything to win.

This executive level restructuring is watched closely by the players and prospects. Willingness to sacrifice and put the team first needs to be the message. It has a profound effect on young men.

It also inserts another layer of insulation between the team and Batman. Which is a good start.

88. book¡je says:

icecastles:

LT knows Tom Waits and the rest – and he sppreciates them.

89. GCW_69 says:

I believe he became GM on July 15th, which was targeted to have him miss the free agent period.

That said, I don’t believe for a minute that the Bruins weren’t getting his input on those moves.

MCDAVID!!!!

CHIA!!!

BABCOCK!!!!

OH MY!!!!!

91. G Money says:

rickithebear,

Since you like to take such a pejorative tone in your responses, let me reply in kind:

HOW FUCKING STUPID is it that you would take a process that averages LESS THAN 2 events per 60 minutes, then apply that to players who play LESS THAN 20 minutes a game on average and draw ANYTHING OTHER THAN POINTLESS, MEANINGLESS conclusions?

Tell me how, Ricki? Because of your work in operations management, you claim to be a stats genius, right?

In an entire SEASON, by your reasoning, the “AVERAGE” D man will see something in the order of 55 goals. So what conclusion can you draw if one D man has an average of 3.0 and another 1.0?

I’ll tell you what. With that event rate and sample size, the conclusion is NOTHING.

You can draw NOTHING INTELLIGIBLE from that sample size.

With that useless statistic you quote so much, an entire season is the rough equivalent of a single games Corsi.

Useless. Utterly useless.

This is why you think Petry is a bad D man.

This is why you think Fistric is a good D man.

This is why you think Fistric is better than Petry and Weber.

Because your baseline statistic is UTTERLY USELESS.

Pretty fucking obvious, right?

G Money:
    rickithebear,

Tell me how, Ricki?Because of your work in operations management, you claim to be a stats genius, right?

In an entire SEASON, by your reasoning, the “AVERAGE” D man will see something in the order of 55 goals.So what conclusion can you draw if one D man has an average of 3.0 and another 1.0?

I’ll tell you what.With that event rate and sample size, the conclusion is NOTHING.

You can draw NOTHING INTELLIGIBLE from that sample size.

Useless.Utterly useless.

This is why you think Petry is a bad D man.

This is why you think Fistric is a good D man.

This is why you think Fistric is better than Petry and Weber.

Because your baseline statistic is UTTERLY USELESS.

Pretty fucking obvious, right?

Heh.

Let me add:

Dmen like FISTRIC tend to play against players who hack the puck square more than score SO OF COURSE THEY GET SCORED AGAINST LESS THAN THOSE WHO PLAY AGAINST KANE AND TOEWS.

Also,

DMEN AREN’T GOALIES!!

Also,

MCDAVID!!!

CHIA!!!!!

BABCOCK!!!!

OH MY!!!

93. Kmart99 says:

rickithebear,

Again, those stats aren’t very useful because of the low amount of data points. G Money made the point that he wasn’t a huge fan of shot diff either(for dmen), which can produce more data points/events in one game than GA/60, so in the spirit of proper evaluation of dmen, I’ll take a look at 16 random Fistric, Phaneuf, Weber, and Suter(my personal fav) games and evaluate them as follows:

This may be an exercise in futility, but it will be fun. Especially for nerds.

With the puck:
    I’ll use the QB rating formula the NFL uses. Rushing yards, fumbles, passes(some passes will have to be considered handoffs, shots on net will be considered a completed pass), interceptions, TD passes(assists), and Rushing TDs(goals).
    A proper dump in that is retrieved will be a completed pass with yardage always considered.
    A dump and change(equivalent to throwing it out of bounds)
    After game 1, I’ll post the results as well as a link to the excel sheet that shows how I evaluated each event.

Without the puck:

I’m going to use football stats as well, only for this aspect I’ll use defensive nbrs:
    Interceptions, fumble recovery, stripping the ball, blocked pass, blocked TD pass, tackles, pick 6, missed coverage, etc….

With this many data points, I suspect that any poor positional play will factor in automatically.

ZSs, QoC, QoLinemates will factor in as well. An evaluation like this will provide far more data points/events than GA(useless) and even shott diff.

I’m guessing that my result will probably rank the dmen in the same order as something like using FenwickRel and WOWY, but we will see.
    Stay tuned.

94. Магия 10 says:

Kmart99: but I’m going to ignore it because I have no idea how to credit a dman for being in his proper position.

Sounds like a job for staples.

95. hunter1909 says:

Babcock – to – Oilers…

had me cheering for the Bolts last night.

Poll: Which managerial lineup would you prefer?

1 – Chiarelli Babcock Nicholson

2 – MacT Eakins Lowe

96. Pouzar says:

Just finished listening to the morning show on TSN1290 in Winnipeg. Westwood was going on and on about hoping the “good Ontario boy” would sign on to coach the Leafs. Guess he missed the memo that Babcock grew up in Saskatoon and considers that his home.

97. rickithebear says:

Woodguy: Heh.

Let me add:

Also,

DMEN AREN’T GOALIES!!

Also,

MCDAVID!!!

CHIA!!!!!

BABCOCK!!!!

OH MY!!!

Jesus WG:

So what your telling me is Petry 2nd/3rd comp 3.00 EVGA/60

yoiu want to pay him 5.5M.

Cause he is awsome!

But fistric 2md/3rd comp is facing inferior competition.

How do you say that with a straight face?

LAK: 3rd pairing in 13-14.
    M. greene 1.51
    Martinez 1.31
    Greene-Martinez 0.85

98. Ca$h-Money! says:

rickithebear,

Using these statistics, wasn’t Petry/Smid one of the elite pairings in the entire NHL a couple of years ago? If that’s the case, what happened to Petry that made him one of the worst now that he’s 27 years old?

Wasn’t Brett Bellmore one of the best Dmen in the NHL, if not the best? At some point you’d figure someone in an NHL management position would lock that guy up for more than league minimum salary for a few years.

99. flyfish1168 says:

hunter1909:
    Babcock – to – Oilers…

had me cheering for the Bolts last night.

Poll: Which managerial lineup would you prefer?

1 – Chiarelli Babcock Nicholson

2 – MacT Eakins Lowe

I prefer option #2 in phlegm or leaph land.

rickithebear: Jesus WG:

So what your telling me is Petry 2nd/3rd comp 3.00 EVGA/60

yoiu want to pay him 5.5M.

Cause he is awsome!

But fistric 2md/3rd comp is facing inferior competition.

How do you say that with a straight face?

LAK: 3rd pairing in 13-14.
    M. greene 1.51
    Martinez 1.31
    Greene-Martinez 0.85

Well, one way it to look at the players they played against the most.

in 12/13 both Fistric and Petry played for the Oilers.

Here are the top 20 opponents they faced using TOI agasint

STALBERG, VIKTOR
    MITCHELL, JOHN

Sooooo, yeah.

101. rickithebear says:

G Money:
    rickithebear,

You can draw NOTHING INTELLIGIBLE from that sample size.

Useless.Utterly useless.

This is why you think Petry is a bad D man.

This is why you think Fistric is a good D man.

This is why you think Fistric is better than Petry and Weber.

Because your baseline statistic is UTTERLY USELESS.

Pretty fucking obvious, right?

You do what PFF does and watch the players video of every goal he was on the ice for..
    see what side the goals are from. his or partners or high forward.

Better?

we are not talking about the overall player!

we are talking Defensive Situation.
    1st comp even
    2nd comp even
    3rd comp even
    PK
    You get the best player for each situation for as minimal dollars.

It is pretty obvious that that open hole ability of a goalie is a high EVGA affect.

but Mark fistric in 12-13 created the highest +GD/gm affect in the NHL.
    for 3rd comp and PK.
    Mact offered him 1.25M for 3 years.

Could we have used Fistric-Petry .85 EVGA/60 facing 2nd comp.

1. Situation
    2. best results
    3. cheap cap hit.

Marincin-Fayne 2.17 EVGA/60
    upper 1st comp 4.5M
    W/ scrivens 2.10

Weber -Josi 1st comp 11.857M
    w/ rinne 1.67 EVGA/60
    w/ Hutton 1.97

Better player?
    that is just lazy bullshit!

best +GD/GM for 1.25M
    You have to be a Moron not to get that!

102. rickithebear says:

Woodguy: Sooooo, yeah.

So yeah!
    EG/60 and EVP/60 ?

103. frjohnk says:

Jeff Petry GA/60 with oilers 3.00
    Jeff Petry GA/60 since traded to Habs 1.97

Before Duby this year
    Suter 2.77
    With Duby 1.57

Defenceman try to limit shots against but goalies save shots

GA will look good with a good goalie

104. Kmart99 says:

Ricki…

How is it that GA is useful for evaluating dmen? It is extremely low event and massively dependant on the goalie.

Please.

You say fistric was playing against 1st comp, which may be true, but there’s no debate that petry faced toucher OPP far more often.

I just don’t understand how you see value in these stats.

rickithebear: So yeah!
    EG/60 and EVP/60 ?

He’s not a goalie.

frjohnk:
    Jeff Petry GA/60 with oilers 3.00
    Jeff Petry GA/60 since traded to Habs 1.97

Before Duby this year
    Suter 2.77
    With Duby 1.57

Defenceman try to limit shots against but goalies save shots

GA will look good with a good goalie

In Ricki’s bizarre world Dmen stop shots.

107. elgruntus says: