FOREVER DOESN’T MEAN FOREVER (ANYMORE)

Peter Chiarelli is doing his due diligence in regard to the head coaching position. Confirmation came today (via Terry Jones) that the new GM spent some time with one of the top options available this summer, Todd McLellan.

It’s important to find out the exact level of interest from McLellan, Chiarelli’s interest is confirmed because of the meeting. As a long time fan of the San Jose Sharks, I can say the thought of McLellan behind the bench is exciting. I’d be remiss without saying that Todd Nelson (imo) should still be considered for the head job because of his good work during the season. None of this really matters. Until Mike Babcock settles his situation with Detroit and signs or moves on, this entire process is one giant case of tire-kicking. We don’t have the entire field finalized yet, so we wait.

CHIARELLI AT SCOUTING MEETINGS

This is such an important draft, I would guess the lack of firings by management suggests some confidence in the newly-shaped hierarchy of the group. Bob Green is at the top, followed by Stu MacGregor and the scouts. Of course, Chiarelli will put in his two cents, plus there’s MacT and Howson and and and, well, you get the idea.

I’m sincere in saying that, in my opinion, one of the key players in this year’s draft—if management listens—might be our old friend Michael Parkatti. We spoke to him last summer about his model for predicting successful draft picks, and with the kind of talent available this season, Edmonton should get seven or more stunning opportunities to solve problems.

I’d spend every. damn. one of them on scoring forwards, but that won’t happen. If Edmonton can score on two players after McDavid, that’s a good draft. More than two and we’re smiling. Godspeed, scouts.

Healthy and brilliant, Taylor Hall is reminding us about the elite talent already here before Connor McDavid arrives. Folks, this is bloody crazy, there is SO much talent here. I’m giddy.

One of the true mysteries of my lifetime is how a bunch of Oilers fans decided Taylor Hall was the problem. When the Expos turned on Gary Carter, at least they had seven years of contention to blame on him. Taylor Hall is a brilliant young player just about to enter his prime. My WORD this is a great time to be an Oilers fan!

WORLD HOCKEY CHAMPIONSHIP SCORING (OILERS)

• No. 1: Taylor Hall 3GP, 4-2-6
  • No. 10: Jordan Eberle 3GP, 1-3-4
  • Matt Hendricks 3GP, 2-1-3
  • Anton Lander 3GP, 1-2-3
  • Oscar Klefbom 3GP, 1-0-1

Outstanding performances from the Oilers group—and remember RNH and Nail Yakupov were ticketed to go before being shut down via medicals—and a strong indicator that, if healthy, this team will have enormous firepower next season.

This is good news. Nurse had a strong season in junior, let’s see if he can get into the lineup and make a difference at the higher level this spring.

138 Responses to "FOREVER DOESN’T MEAN FOREVER (ANYMORE)"

1. Traktor says:

When did oiler fans turn on Taylor hall?

Traktor:
    When did oiler fans turn on Taylor hall?

I have received many texts, get them all the time, and you can see it on twitter. There’s a significant part of the fan base, seriously, that thinks Hall is the problem.

3. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Traktor:
    When did oiler fans turn on Taylor hall?

Quite a few have. The number of people saying wrong pick and he’s not even worth a John Klingberg or a Milan Lucic is staggering.

LT,
    Any concern here about bird in the hand? Babcock sounds very much hesitant to leave. Should the Oilers maybe make McLellan feel like the belle of the ball and number one choice rather than wait for Babcock and then try to scoop McLellan if that fails? Or am I just too used to worrying.

4. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Lowetide: I have received many texts, get them all the time, and you can see it on twitter. There’s a significant part of the talent base, seriously, that thinks Hall is the problem.

Fan base? I think you’re giving most of us too much credit.

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”: Fan base? I think you’re giving most of us too much credit.

Ha! Yes, fan base. lordy.

6. Alpine says:

Have said before that Babcock is the crown jewel of available coaches and that we should hire him without a doubt if he’s willing. But I’m wondering if just hedging on Babcock not leaving DET or being at risk of going to a better team and hiring McLellan while we can isn’t the best option.

His playoff track record isn’t ideal but he did beat out Babcock’s Wings two years in a row. Sharks might have heavily utilized the dump and chase but damn have they been an entertaining team while doing so. McLellan has a terrific resume, and has even been an understudy to Babcock for enough time to have been witness to some of his tactics and methods.

We could do a lot worse than Todd McLellan. He’s probably number two on my list, and might even be the best fit for this team going forward.

7. LadiesloveSmid says:

the fans that think Hall is a/the problem are what I like to call mouth breathers.

Along the lines of the same ones that think Petry was too soft, Gilbert was too soft, and that Gazdic needs to play on RNH and Eberle’s wing.

8. thejonrmcleod says:

This just in from Rishaug: “Sounds like there’s a good chance Slepyshev comes over next season, contract talks under way with 88th overall pick.”

9. Bar_Qu says:

I for one feel very strongly that a player scoring at a per game rate near the top of his position at the NHL is indeed selfish (especially since he repeatedly states he has no desire to leave and loves it in Edmonton, read: not just a river in Egypt!) and likely to root of all the Oiler ailments lo these many seasons. I refuse to believe truther stories about poor goaltending, marginal defense or revolving coaching staff, not even that enormous fib about playing hurt players all the time.

It is Hall’s fault. Full. Stop.

Quit defending the guy already.

10. Bar_Qu says:

thejonrmcleod:

Good news!

He can take that slacker Hall’s spot!

11. supernova says:

I have been saying since Chia has been named that this has the makings of not a complete firing squad.

Here is my take on that.

1) Benning just left Boston for Vancouver
    2) the existing Boston management was mainly kept in tact save for a few
    3) quite clearly the power struggle in Boston was Neely versus Chia
    4) believe apart of the conversation between Nicholson & Lowe and chia was we have done some ground work we would recommend this and this to you but we just want you to accelerate the time frame and move this forward
    5) Green’s promotion was done with Nicholson in the fold he is already new blood to the role.
    If Keith Gretzky gets gassed then maybe things change otherwise most of the firings of Scouts take place after the draft, maybe a few are gone but doesn’t look like a full scale clear out.

Chia is gonna need a few of “his guys” he clearly is open to others opinions and will need someone else to give him the lay of the land. The big benefit of not clearing out everyone is that our prospects will be held in higher value internally and not just ditch garbage.

12. sliderule says:

If there are folks who say Hall is the problem on this site its one in 200 posts.

Even Gretsky and Messiier had there critics but I just don’t see it with Hall..

The Internet gives everyone a voice but you just have to laugh off the idiots.

13. Yeti says:

thejonrmcleod:

Nice!

thejonrmcleod:

Great news!

sliderule:
    If there are folks who say Hall is the problemon this site its one in 200 posts.

Even Gretsky and Messiier had there critics but I just don’t see it with Hall..

The Internet gives everyone a voice but you just have to laugh off the idiots.

I don’t recall anyone on this blog ripping Hall more than what would be normal for a young player. Still, that point of view exists.

16. Rondo says:

I think when Lindsy Ruff sat Hall in the Worlds 2013 and not making the Olympic team hurt Hall’s reputation . He was not a 2-way player and this seed grew especially this year with his production.

BTW I would not even think about trading him.

17. LadiesloveSmid says:

Rondo:
    I think when Lindsy Ruff sat Hall in the Worlds 2013 and not making the Olympic team hurt Hall’s reputation . He was not a 2-way player and this seed grewespecially this year with his production.

BTW I would not even think about trading him.

bottom 5 in goals for, no reason to trade offence drivers

Hall-McDavid will tear the west a new one for years to come

18. OilOnslaught "formerly Unicorns" says:

I just thought of something that hasn’t been dwelt upon much.

Players like McDavid bring everyone’s game up. Even lesser skilled players.

Whaaaatt????

Total domination to follow.

*Does Gold Card opening shocked victory hysterical thingo*

19. Rondo says:

OilOnslaught “formerly Unicorns”:
    I just thought of something that hasn’t been dwelt upon much.

Players like McDavid bring everyone’s game up. Even lesser skilled players.

Whaaaatt????

Total domination to follow.

*Does Gold Card opening shocked victory hysterical thingo*

Just like Crosby and Malkin do for Pittsburgh

Goaltending and Defense wins Cups

20. Cahoon says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:
    LT,
    Any concern here about bird in the hand? Babcock sounds very much hesitant to leave. Should the Oilers maybe make McLellan feel like the belle of the ball and number onechoice rather than wait for Babcock and then try to scoop McLellan if that fails?Or am I just too used to worrying.

I was thinking the same thing earlier today. Watching the iihf highlights and hearing about how Ebs and Hall are playing under MacLellan makes me think he might be the right fit here.

21. sliderule says:

Lowetide the vitriol against Messier was unbelievable..

No internet at the time but I had season tickets and a large number of my friends voiced their opinion that he was useless.

Turned the puck over and selfish.

There always idiots.

22. Melman says:

It’s a weird Edm. phenomenon that there always has to be a whipping boy, and it’s not a healthy attribute for the City or the fans. Living out in Van you don’t really see it here to the same degree against the Canucks. Although Sbisa was a target this year, and LOUUUUU got the can’t win in the playoffs tag, it doesn’t have the same vitriol. Horcoff, Hemsky, Petry, all got the hate machine. The source is often the “overpaid bums” angle which has nothing to do with the player and everything to do with the economics of the game. The ironic part is how much of it comes from blue collar guys making $100k plus working in the oil patch.

23. Melman says:

Cahoon,

ditto. How brutal would it be to see McLellan sign elsewhere while waiting for Babcock to make a decision. Be shocked if he leaves Detroit. Have to believe if it’s occurred to the likes of us Chia has thought the same thing.

24. gr8one says:

Holy crap…Lou Lam stepped down?

I didn’t even know that was a thing that would be possible.

25. blainer says:

No Way Hall is getting traded with CMD on the way. They will tear it up. Would love to see Dry on the wing later in the year but would not be surprised if he makes the team out of camp… Hendy would also be a good option there for protection and on the boards.. I also hate the trade talk about Ebs too. We need goals and trading him is just dumb.

Yak is the one who gets the most talked about in a trade but I don’t see him traded either after the lottery win. Can’t wait to see how Nurse plays with men in the A. This will show if he is ready or not. If he plays a big role all the way to a Calder win he probably also makes the oil out of camp. What a time to be an oilers fan…

26. OilOnslaught "formerly Unicorns" says:

Rondo: Just like Crosby and Malkindo for Pittsburgh

Goaltending and Defense wins Cups

I don’t think Malkin is as good, Sure those things are key but what would the Pens be without Crosby to make up for going with a weak goalie? Do the Oilers suck because Hall is no good?

Maybe you don’t know the league from the 80’s and 90’s but generational players make all around them better. They are rare and have really only had Gretzky and Lemieux up to Crosby so many haven’t seen what that looks like.

You won’t be disappointed.

27. admiralmark says:

According to Pierre LeBrun’s twitter…The Penguins have decided they’re not going to ask the Devils for a draft pick in return for Ray Shero’s hire.

Intresting how fast that hapened. Meanwhile Neely and Company still mull over what they want. I think this move by Pittsurgh is making the Bruins look pathetic here. This rule truly lacks common sense.

28. leadfarmer says:

Wait, are you telling me that if you put Hall on a team with competent defensemen he is scoring goals. Who would have thunk it?

admiralmark:

30. bcoil says:

The More I see and listen to Nurse he reminds me of Messier in the way he carries himself and his intensity .Yes he is a defence man and Mes was a centre but there is the same intensity and drive.

31. SkatinginSand says:

I am sometimes accused of hating Taylor Hall, but I don’t. I just think that there could be significantly more.

I see him getting back to his blue line after the other team’s two defencemen or even never appear in the screenshot, and I think, you don’t have Shea Weber back there who can hold off three forecheckers with one hand, make a 120 ft. pass with the other, all the while signing autographs with pen in his teeth. Your teammates need help, and leaving them shorthanded in their end is a recipe for disaster.

I see him use the mad dash outside, followed by the toe drag, followed by the turnover and I think, if only he would use more creativity in his offensive tactics, he would be unstoppable.

I see the feeble forecheck attempts and I think, if only he would take better attack angles, learn to anticipate where the breakout is going and work as a team with his linemates, with his quickness, he would be a monster puck thief.

To say that he is a very talented player who still has significant holes in his game is not hate, it is acknowledging the truth. Seeing him at the World’s, it appear that he is working on the weaknesses in his game and it gives me hope.

Some very talented players eventually get it (Ovechkin) even if it takes a while. Some never do. (Kessel) The next coach will be vital in helping him to realize his full potential, which would be someone who is a no- brain top six Olympian.

32. Hammers says:

What do our fans want more than anything ? A winning team, stability , another cup, honesty , and what don’t they want ? Bullshit , incompetence , talking out there ass, lies . Between now and Sept we will be able to judge our new group of decision makers . 6 months and we will see the direction we are going .

33. coolwasabi says:

Honestly, I prefer Todd McLellan over Mike Babcock.

They’re both excellent coaches with good track records. Is Babcock better? Maybe. Maybe not. Would having Babcock shine too bright of a light on this young Oilers roster (if that’s even possible with McDavid here..) for them to handle? Possibly.

I worry that adding McDavid AND Babcock puts TOO much pressure on the team. May be better to have go with the more-subtle-yet-just-as-effective hire in Todd McLellan.

34. Gordies Elbow says:

Bar_Qu:

It is Hall’s fault. Full. Stop.

Quit defending the guy already.

Stupendous post.

35. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Or we could be seeing, as iirc Rex suggested, an opening for a trade between the two teams.

*blushes*

36. Ryan says:

coolwasabi:
    Honestly, I prefer Todd McLellan over Mike Babcock.

I worry that adding McDavid AND Babcock puts TOO much pressure on the team. May be better to havego with the more-subtle-yet-just-as-effective hire in Todd McLellan.

That’s fair. Honestly, before we won the draft lottery, I’d have set the odds on either at close to zero.

Now, I’d be thrilled with either.

Part of my pinot noir soaked brain still recalls Dellow posts marveling at the corgi stealing set plays that Mclelland used to use.. Or the shots per hour his team generated on the pp.

37. VOR says:

I am not trolling, seriously! However, I think I can see where all the Oilers recent good news inevitably leads. Fans are now sure the Oilers are going to be good, even great, and soon. When it takes several years for Connor McDavid to be more than a liability the fans will attack him with even more vitriol and hatred than they did Mark Messier and that was truly awful to watch.

You can tell people that generational talents take an average of five years to win their 1st Stanley Cup but they don’t really believe it and there in lies the rub. How many of you are really going to be patient enough to wait five more years? What are you going to do for those five years? Are you going to refrain from all criticism?

My point is that we may have hidden the tar and feathers in the garage but there is no way Oilers fandom will give their new GM 3 years to make the playoffs and 5 years to win the Stanley Cup. Probably that is about how it plays out. Hall and McDavid will bear the brunt of Oilers fandom’ s irrational behaviour as the team itself slowly builds toward success. That is their fate as resident superstars on a team that has been generationally awful.

We should all be praying these two young men have the right stuff to weather the storm. It is clear we fans don’t.

38. RexLibris says:

With Ray Shero as the new GM in New Jersey I think now is the time to trade a scoring winger to the Devils for Adam Larsson.

Joe Morrow, Ben Lovejoy, Alex Goligoski, Zbynek Michalek, and Ryan Whitney were all traded by Shero during his (admittedly long) tenure as Penguins GM.

Kidding of course, but one can dream.

39. gr8one says:

Unrelated, but anyone know why Hemsky isn’t on the Czech team?

40. Rondo says:

OT: Draft positions

If Montreal loses series it would be better for the Oilers that NYR lose also? If this happened Oilers would have the 55th pick from Montreal and the 4th round pick?

Also the Stl pick in the 3 round gets better if both Montreal and NYR lose?

41. RexLibris says:

Re: McLellan

I can’t recall who it was, but listening on the radio today and a guest mentioned that it makes no sense for McLellan to sign with a team before Babcock decides because he is likely to re-set the entire coaching pay scale regardless of where he goes.

McLellan could go from being a $2 million dollar coach to a $4 million dollar coach if he just waits to see where Babcock lands.

RexLibris:
    Re: McLellan

Matt Iwanyk said that around noon on TSN 1260.

43. oliveoilers says:

SkatinginSand:

I see him gettingback to his blue line after the other team’s two defencemen or even never appear in the screenshot, and I think, you don’t have Shea Weber back there who can hold off three forecheckers with one hand, make a 120 ft. pass with the other, all the while signing autographs with pen in his teeth. Your teammates need help, and leaving them shorthanded in their end is a recipe for disaster.

I seehim use the mad dash outside, followed by the toe drag, followed by the turnover and I think, if only he would use more creativity inhis offensive tactics,he would be unstoppable.

I seethe feeble forecheck attempts and I think, if only he would take better attack angles, learn to anticipate where the breakout is going and work as a teamwith his linemates, withhis quickness, he would be a monster puck thief.

To say that he is a very talented player who still has significant holes in his game is not hate, it is acknowledging the truth. Seeing him at theWorld’s, it appearthat he is working on theweaknesses in his game and it gives me hope.

Some very talented players eventually get it (Ovechkin) even if it takes a while. Some never do. (Kessel) The next coach will be vital in helpinghim to realize his full potential, which would be someone who is a no- brain top six Olympian.

These are the facts. Peruse them at your leisure. I don’t think they quite reflect your demonization.

In fact, they reflect a very good offensive winger, who, since we’re doing this by eye, made a lot a very good defensive plays as well.

But as I’ve said before, if you have Taylor Hall behind his own goal line digging for pucks like Hendricks or Klink, then guess where he isn’t? That’s right, keeping the opposing d honest and ready for an outlet pass.

When you marry what you see to what is in the stats, it’s not coincidence, it’s truth.

44. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Matt Iwanyk said that around noon on TSN 1260.

Thank you.

I knew it was someone authoritative.

😉

45. RexLibris says:

oliveoilers,

Man that 12-13 season stands out, doesn’t it.

p/60, ppg, shpg, he was on fire that season.

Or as some around here like to say, he went supernova.

I hope Nelson gets the job.

47. oliveoilers says:

VOR:

Hyperbole much?

48. gr8one says:

oliveoilers: Whilst you have gone through every narrative that has been raised against Hall, I did some digging:

These are the facts.Peruse them at your leisure.I don’t think they quite reflect your demonization.

But as I’ve said before, if you have Taylor Hall behind his own goal line digging for pucks like Hendricks or Klink, then guess where he isn’t?That’s right, keeping the opposing d honest and ready for an outlet pass.

Awesome.

49. Ryan says:

VOR:

Dude. We’re Oilers fans.

Our capacity for enduring abuse is epic while our expectations are very low.

Compete for a playoff spot next year? Music. Finish out out of the playoffs with 85 points? Music.

The bulk of my adult life was watching the oilers compete for the race for eighth place… Lately, we haven’t even had that.

Baby steps.

50. oliveoilers says:

RexLibris:
    oliveoilers,

Man that 12-13 season stands out, doesn’t it.

p/60, ppg, shpg, he was on fire that season.

Or as some around here like to say, he went supernova.

No Rex, he was selfish, selfish, selfish.

That year was brought with the souls of the rest of the team. Hence some of the zombie-like performances we’ve seen recently.

I’ve already heard stories from Europe that he’s a cancer in the Team Canada dressing room, and that he’s not back-checking for Todd Mac so he can pad his stats.

And he drop-kicks baby puppies. Cute ones.

51. RexLibris says:

oliveoilers: No Rex, he was selfish, selfish, selfish.

That year was brought with the souls of the rest of the team.Hence some of the zombie-like performances we’ve seen recently.

And he drop-kicks baby puppies.Cute ones.

Unless you can show me footage of his bad body language and whether he was the first one off the ice at practice, then keep your crazy rumours to yourself!

😉

52. Dashingsilverfox says:

oliveoilers: No Rex, he was selfish, selfish, selfish.

And he drop-kicks baby puppies.Cute ones.

Those numbers are staggeringly unsustainable.

As for the rest of your post…I fixed it for you…

“But as I’ve said before, if you have PHIL KESSEL behind his own goal line digging for pucks like Hendricks or Klink, then guess where he isn’t?That’s right, keeping the opposing d honest and ready for an outlet pass.”

The actual difference between the two players is that Kessel likely has a better shot and, because of that, has scored 30+ goals 5 times while Hall has yet to hit that mark even once.

53. Stelio Kontos says:

The reason people turned on Hall is because he is known as a jerk. I’ve heard this since he was at Katz’s house prior to the 2010 draft. The older generation doesn’t get to meet the players at bars and such like we do. When a pro athlete misbehaves, it is noticed. People talk, rumors spread. People were looking for reasons to be mad at Hall, and his lack of production this year left him open to abuse. Not to mention the tensions which are boiling over.

I don’t really care if he is a jerk, since I think you can still win with those guys. One of the best teammates I’ve ever had was a basket case who I still see in bar fights most every weekend. I can’t speak about Hall’s character personally, but I know this is something that has been brewing in the public’s eye for awhile. I see Hall (along with Ebs) as the real captains of this team. Every time a player is on the verge of becoming an Oiler, what do you hear? Well I got a call from Hall, and spoke to Eberle. Never once has Ference demonstrated any captain ability publicly.

Where did the myth that you can’t win with Ovie come from? Fact of the matter is fans hate losing, and nobody is safe. Luckily, public opinion doesn’t matter for SFA.

54. Bar_Qu says:

oliveoilers: No Rex, he was selfish, selfish, selfish.

And he drop-kicks baby puppies.Cute ones.

I’ve heard he plans to vote PC this election.

The philistine

55. Bar_Qu says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Wait, I thought McDavid was the problem?

56. leadfarmer says:

Dashingsilverfox,

You mean the Phil Kessel that almost had the green jacket at -34. That Phil Kessel?

57. flyfish1168 says:

I feel for Taylor. From the interviews I have seen, he often says the correct things, he has numerous times stated he wants to stay in Edmonton, he states he wants to finish what is started here and he appears to have a positive outlook each season. I for one don’t like some parts of his game but that is because I am nitpicking. Unless you have had direct dealing or communications with the young man how can you truly hate someone. Unfortunately jealousy and hearsay I believe is used by some people. JMHO

58. Dashingsilverfox says:

leadfarmer:
    Dashingsilverfox,

You mean the Phil Kessel that almost had the green jacket at -34.That Phil Kessel?

Yeah… that one.

The one whose game fell apart when his new coach wanted his team to play a 2 way game.

Up until then Hall’s and Kessel’s plus/minus were about the same.

Good thing Yakupov was around to take the Green Jacket.

59. gr8one says:

oliveoilers

And he drop-kicks baby puppies.Cute ones.

I don’t think he discriminates to be honest, I think any puppy suffices.

60. square_wheels says:

Rangers really missing McDonagh.

61. leadfarmer says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Focus!! We’re talking about Hall and Kessel. You got the worst case of ADD I’ve seen. Or is it hockey Tourette’s?

62. LoDog says:

gr8one:
    Unrelated, but anyone know why Hemsky isn’t on the Czech team?

11 goals in 76 games?

Nah, probably injured.

As for the rex idea of a trade with boston instead of compensation, I believe it was lebrun that said the compensation can’t be negotiated so not sure what rules might be around about circumventing that.

63. oliveoilers says:

Dashingsilverfox: Since you brought it up…tale a look at Hall’s IPP during the two seasons he was a PPG+.

Those numbers are staggeringly unsustainable.

As for the rest of your post…I fixed it for you…

Isn’t it too early in the year for BC cherries?

If a guy does something one year, and then repeats it, it can be said that he sustained it for two years. Thus it can be described as sustainable, for that given time frame. I notice you didn’t put a time frame on your statement, which means it’s true. If Hall was to keep it up for 5 years, but drop like a stone in the 6th, it could be said that his IPP was unsustainable over 6 years. Context, old boy. No open-ended tickets.

“Kessel likely has a better shot” Hmmm, ‘likely’? Not definitely? Or just ‘has’? Sure, I’ll buy that. Kessel has a good shot. But there, I think, the similarities end. It is possible for two entirely different players to achieve the same results a different way. It’s consilience; the obtaining of the same results via totally different means.

Thing is, Kessel really IS an asshole. And Hall? Well, admittedly, he’s doing well against weak opposition in the worlds, but his coach seems to like him….

64. oliveoilers says:

Bar_Qu:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Wait, I thought McDavid was the problem?

No, that’s after the Oilers are only 7-3 in their first 10 games next year and McDavid has only put up 2G and 5A on the second line.

Meanwhile, Eichel will have scored 5 in 3 games, so a case will be made that we made the wrong pick.

65. square_wheels says:

Is it safe to say this is some of the best hockey we’ve seen from Ovie in a long time?

Wasn’t it just a year ago he was accused of Ozzie-esque biting heads off babies?

66. Pouzar says:

Guess I’m the only one who prefers Nelson over McLellan.

67. RexLibris says:

oliveoilers: Isn’t it too early in the year for BC cherries?

This. Is EXACTLY what I was going to say.

Unsustainable?

But the Flames’ sh% this year? Not a problem.

68. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:
    Guess I’m the only one who prefers Nelson over McLellan.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I’m holding out hope they hire Patches O’Houlihan.

I picture him in his wheelchair at center ice tossing wrenches at Schultz and Yakupov and they skate by. I bet Hendricks would catch them in his teeth, though, and spit out paperclips.

69. RexLibris says:

Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug 1h Am told Oilers still in the mix on O’Connor, who continues to weigh all four options. Nothing ruled out yet.

Has this been posted yet? Well, anyway, here it is.

70. SK Oiler Fan says:

I don’t recall who mentioned it a few days ago, but I have to agree these playoffs have been mostly garbage. Who wants to watch teams trade dump ins, O attempts a bit of a cycle in the corner, D gets away with a hold and an interference, the puck gets chipped out to the point, shot blocked, clear zone, repeat. If those poor goalies can’t reduce the size of the plywood on their legs and chest the only solution is to make the damn net bigger. The East is especially predictable. I’m not watching 4 more weeks of this.

71. Dashingsilverfox says:

oliveoilers: Isn’t it too early in the year for BC cherries?

If a guy does something one year, and then repeats it, it can be said that he sustained it for two years.Thus it can be described as sustainable, for that given time frame.I notice you didn’t put a time frame on your statement, which means it’s true.If Hall was to keep it up for 5 years, but drop like a stone in the 6th, it could be said that his IPP was unsustainable over 6 years.Context, old boy.No open-ended tickets.

“Kessel likely has a better shot”Hmmm, ‘likely’?Not definitely?Or just ‘has’?Sure, I’ll buy that.Kessel has a good shot.But there, I think, the similarities end.It is possible for two entirely different players to achieve the same results a different way.It’s consilience; the obtaining of the same results via totally different means.

Thing is, Kessel really IS an asshole.And Hall?Well, admittedly, he’s doing well against weak opposition in the worlds, but his coach seems to like him….

IMO they are both “assholes” (your phraseology) and any difference between the two are very minor.

72. Dashingsilverfox says:

RexLibris: This. Is EXACTLY what I was going to say.

Unsustainable?

But the Flames’ sh% this year? Not a problem.

Hudler’s was.

Who else do you see taking a big drop?

Monahan maybe but 16% isn’t way out there.

(Pssstttt…Benoit Pouliot had a 19% shooting percentage this season.)

73. G Money says:

Dashingsilverfox: If you can point out to me how two players who rely on outside speed to score, who are weak in their own end and are generally regarded as petulant “me first” kind of guys are significantly different, I’m all ears.

LOL. Maybe the fact that, Taylor Hall four seasons in has already broken the ppg barrier twice, while Phil Kessel eight seasons in has broken it once and matched it once.

I guess that’s why.

The one thing that Phil Kessel is unquestionably better at than Taylor Hall is eating.

So you’ve got that going for you.

Meanwhile, we’ll add the “Phil Kessel is better than Taylor Hall” argument to the tremendously long list of DSF trollisms.

Carry on.

74. Adam Wu says:

Rondo: Just like Crosby and Malkindo for Pittsburgh

Goaltending and Defense wins Cups

You have to do the second before even thinking about the first.

75. Adam Wu says:

Dashingsilverfox: When Hall can sustain that rate of production for a 5 year period I’ll call it sustainable.

76. G Money says:

Adam Wu: Teams with only Goaltending and Defence, without offence, don’t even make the playoffs.
    You have to do the second before even thinking about the first.

Hmmm, not sure that’s true. You don’t see very many teams with G & D and little O very often, so its a small sample size. But NSH springs to mind as a perennial example.

COL and TOR spring to mind as teams that have O, but they confirm that making the playoffs is a rarity – and even then, only as a result of outstanding goaltending.

Other thoughts include the weak Stanley record of Crosby (generally attributed to weak G and D), and Gretzky’s record after he left the Oilers – still very much in his prime but never won another Cup. Though its true they didn’t have a problem making the playoffs most years. Then again … Pronger.

I’d have to say I lean towards supporting the maxim that G then D then O are the key to winning, regular season OR playoffs.

What it means is that McDavid will instantly make this team more fun and more exciting and more merchandisable … but we still need that damn G and D upgrade to make a meaningful move up.

77. Dashingsilverfox says:

G Money: LOL.Maybe the fact that, Taylor Hall four seasons in has already broken the ppg barrier twice, while Phil Kessel eight seasons in has broken it once and matched it once.

I guess that’s why.

So you’ve got that going for you.

Carry on.

Except, of course, that Kessel has scored 30+ goals 5 times in his career (and 20 goals in 48 games) while the next time Hall scores 30 will be his first.

6 seasons for Kessel would seem to be sustainable…2 out of 5 years, not so much.

BTW.Taylor Hall has played 5 seasons…not 4.

I would think a sharp guy like you wouldn’t have messed that up. 🙂

78. OilCanFan says:

Pouzar:
    Guess I’m the only one who prefers Nelson over McLellan.

I’m with ya…

79. spoiler says:

Pouzar:
    Guess I’m the only one who prefers Nelson over McLellan.

Godot does too. So you know, you got that going for ya.
    😉

80. Dashingsilverfox says:

Adam Wu: According to your own words, DSF, at the end of that 5 year period Hall will be past his prime in and steep decline.

No…but he’ll be reaching his peak.

The steep decline happens in the early 30’s most often but there are exceptions.

81. RexLibris says:

Hudler I’ll agree to.

In fact, I had picked him out at the beginning of the season as having an historically high sh% and that he would be the straw that stirred the Flames’ offense and Hartley’s primary offensive weapon.

But 19.9%? That is high, even for him.

Monahan’s is high. Maybe he stays there, maybe he doesn’t.

Who else do I see regressing?

Gaudreau (14%)
    Bouma (15%)
    Jones (12%)
    Colborne (12%)
    Stajan (15%)
    Wideman (8%)

They are all reasonable candidates for some regression.

And I never mentioned Pouliot. Flames fans try this trick on me all the time. They assume that any comment that questions a player’s potential or ability inherently implies that an Oiler is necessarily superior.

Pouliot’s sh% is bound to regress. Probably somewhere close to, if not south of, half what it was this past season.

But I never held him up as an example of a sustainable sh%.

In fact, let’s turn that around.

Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov and Benoit Pouliot all have boasted enormously high shooting percentages over the past several seasons. The first two returned to more modest percentages rather quickly despite having demonstrated a repeatable skill (scoring goals) through various other levels of their careers. It seems a foregone conclusion that the latter will follow suit.

So outside of some vague miasmic-like Oiler effect, what would convince someone that other players on another team are not subject to the same?

82. steveb12344 says:

Taylor vs Tyler

Taylor 4g 2a 6p

Tyler 1g 0a 1p

83. G Money says:

Dashingsilverfox: BTW.Taylor Hall has played 5 seasons…not 4.
    I would think a sharp guy like you wouldn’t have messed that up.

Yes, you’re right. I would not. I did not count this season for either player, to step away from the complications of Hall’s injuries and Kessel’s well documented problems.

But as it was done that way for both players, the comparison stands. (p.s. if need be, I can explain the process of making like for like comparisons to you, I know that is a foreign concept to you).

The revised comparison if you like therefore is that Kessel has broken the ppg barrier once and matched it once in nine years, while Taylor Hall has broken the ppg barrier twice in five years. Eight/four or Nine/five, your choice.

Dashingsilverfox: Why don’t you put away the straw man and take a close look at how Hall is essentially the same player as Kessel.

Nope, don’t buy it for a second. Taylor Hall’s issue is, and always will be, durability. But otherwise, there is nothing I’ve seen from Phil Kessel any time any where that would make me want him on my team over Hall.

The Hall “dressing room cancer” rumours, which are entirely “my brother knows a guy who’s sister dated the friend of the Oilers towel boy and he says …” speculation from “fans” frustrated with the team losing, have never been confirmed by anything that Taylor Hall has actually done or said, on or off the ice, and will dissipate as the team pulls itself ChiaMcJesus-led out of its funk.

I expect Phil Kessel’s coach-killer reputation, which will continue to grow and be confirmed with every selfish on-ice play, petulant interview and every dozen donuts eaten, will dog him for the rest of his career. I suspect his goal scoring prowess is partly because that’s what he’s good at, and partly a reflection of a selfish player.

There is little doubt that Taylor Hall is a vastly superior player, and in any season go forward in which he is reasonably healthy, Hall will outscore Phil Kessel in ppg, whether on a same season or same age basis.

84. ashley says:

oliveoilers: Hyperbole much?

Can you be more specific? Because VOR has hit the right notes here. In fact, your post is telling. Oilers fans are overexpecting and are likely going to be disappointed.

The reality is that McDavid is likely to land somewhere between Tavares and Crosby…..eventually, but not in year one or probably not year two. It takes time to figure out the game in the best league in the world.

And it’s more complicated than McDavid scoring goals and making great passes. There are many roles that need to be filled, and this team does not yet have the full cast.

Tavares had this McDavid type of hype. That is what Oiler fans should be comp’ing. Tavares did not turn a bad Islanders team into a playoff team in his first year. Nor his second or third. He’s had 6 full seasons in the NHL, and has not yet won a Stanley. Yet he is an amazing talent, one of the very best in the world.

This isn’t football, baseball or basketball. One player can not make as much of a difference in hockey like it can in those sports.

85. Dashingsilverfox says:

Too early to tell on Gaudreau but none of the others are hugely insane.

Sure, they may regress somewhat but Bouma, Jones, Colborne and Stajan are hardly key offensive weapons in any case.

As an example, Colborne’s career shooting percentage is 11.9% and his shooting % this season was,…wait for it…11.9%.

Wideman’s 8.7 is a little high but if he regressed to his career average of 6.3 he would have scored 11 goals instead of 15.

Stajan’s was a little high but he has exceeded his 15.2 in 3 previous seasons…he just seems like a streaky scorer.

86. blainer says:

VOR:

Let’s at least wait until we see what the summer brings. To me it is way to early to write another three to five years off until at least the end of training camp. You may be right but I will wait to see what PC has in him..

87. Dashingsilverfox says:

G Money: Yes, you’re right.I would not.I did not count this season for either player, to step away from the complications of Hall’s injuries and Kessel’s well documented problems.

But as it was done that way for both players, the comparison stands.(p.s. if need be, I can explain the process of making like for like comparisons to you, I know that is a foreign concept to you).

The revised comparison if you like therefore is that Kessel has broken the ppg barrier once and matched it once in nine years, while Taylor Hall has broken the ppg barrier twice in five years.Eight/four or Nine/five, your choice.

Nope, don’t buy it for a second.Taylor Hall’s issue is, and always will be, durability.But otherwise, there is nothing I’ve seen from Phil Kessel any time any where that would make me want him on my team over Hall.

I expect Phil Kessel’s coach-killer reputation, which will continue to grow and be confirmed with every selfish on-ice play, petulant interview and every dozen donuts eaten, will dog him for the rest of his career.I suspect his goal scoring prowess is partly because that’s what he’s good at, and partly a reflection of a selfish player.

Kessel responded with a 36 goal 60 point season in 70GP.

I’ll take 36 goals for 500, Alex.

88. Mr DeBakey says:

spoiler: Pouzar:
    Guess I’m the only one who prefers Nelson over McLellan.
    Godot does too.

Shove over guys, we need room for 3 on this bench.

89. TeeVee says:

When Chia returns from Phoenix with Sean Burke on the payroll he’ll be able to get O’Connor signed.

90. G Money says:

ashley: Tavares had this McDavid type of hype. That is what Oiler fans should be comp’ing.

I take no issue with the rest of your post, but you’ll have to explain this one to me. Tavares *never* had the kind of hype approaching the draft that McDavid is getting, and rightly so. His numbers in Jr were really really good, but nothing truly out of the ordinary for #1 picks.

In perspective, a handful of #1 and #2 picks the last few years.

Tavares 1.86 ppg
    Hall 1.86 ppg
    Reinhart 1.75 ppg
    Stamkos 1.72 ppg
    McKinnon 1.70 ppg
    Seguin 1.68 ppg
    Yakupov 1.64 ppg
    RNH 1.54 ppg

Contrast that with Crosby’s 2.74 and McDavid’s 2.55 (in both a lower scoring league and era) and you can see why there’s hype.

(And of course Kane’s 2.5 and Gagner’s 2.0).

Given that, for anyone to have called Tavares the “Next One” as they’re calling McDavid isn’t really supportable.

91. G Money says:

Dashingsilverfox: I’m guessing you’ve conveniently forgotten that Kessel didn’t receive 1st line minutes with the Bruins until his 3rd season and even then, the Bruins had such a powerful roster that he was playing only 16:33 per game while, in his 3rd season, Hall was playing 18:37.
    Kessel responded with a 36 goal 60 point season in 70GP.
    I’ll take 36 goals for 500, Alex.

Ah, that explains it! Playing on a powerhouse team makes you worse as an individual!

And 0.86 ppg in your third year is better than 1.11 ppg in your third year!

DSF math.

Also, you’re conveniently forgetting:

Hall, better player, teammates never say anything bad about him, never says anything that would give any indication he cares about anything but the team and the game no matter how lousy the situation, constantly sacrifices his body by giving it all on the ice. Fans call him The Kingston Cannonball and worry about his health.

Kessel, not as good a player, teammates never say anything good about him, never says anything that would give you an indication he cares about his team or the game no matter how good the situation, constantly sacrifices his body by giving it his all when ordering donuts at Tim Hortons. Fans call him The Pilsbury Doughboy and worry about his health.

Hall and Kessel are “the same player” the way Floyd Mayweather is “a good human being”.

92. Dashingsilverfox says:

G Money: I take no issue with the rest of your post, but you’ll have to explain this one to me.Tavares *never* had the kind of hype McDavid is getting, and rightly so.His numbers in Jr were really really good, but nothing truly out of the ordinary for #1 picks.

In perspective, a handful of #1 and #2 picks the last few years.

Tavares 1.86 ppg
    Hall 1.86 ppg
    Reinhart 1.75 ppg
    Stamkos 1.72 ppg
    McKinnon 1.70 ppg
    Seguin 1.68 ppg
    Yakupov 1.64 ppg
    RNH 1.54 ppg

Contrast that with Crosby’s 2.74 and McDavid’s 2.55 and you can see why there’s hype.

(And of course Kane’s 2.5 and Gagner’s 2.0).

So many of those PPG numbers depend on line mates (see Gagner), team strength and coaching strategies.

Having said that, I would agree that McDavid appears to have a higher ceiling than Tavares.

93. OilOnslaught "formerly Unicorns" says:

Taylor Hall is well known to volunteer grooming lost puppies at his local pet shelter, caringly and with unbelievable hands as he whips the clippers around in a wide stance that wastes no motion.

However it is rumoured he is a baby seal epicurean of long lineage and that is why his forefathers had to leave Baffin Island centuries ago, and not by choice.

I think some of you fine folks have a surprise or two coming as regards the fortunes of the Oilers. I’ll make no Cup predictions as so much good fortune is involved (he he) but believe this will be a different team to play sooner rather than later.

94. Kitchener says:

2015 offseason for Oiler fans: http://i.imgur.com/czW33QY.gifv

95. G Money says:

In case anyone hasn’t figured it out, I am NOT a Kessel fan.

Not that I paid that much attention to him, though his petulant behaviour was quite offputting, but whatever. Not my problem.

I lost all respect for him when I saw an offseason shot of him. He was, as a 20-something pro hockey player, fatter than I was at the time. And as a 40-something dad working a desk job, that’s saying something.

To have that kind of talent and treat it with such contempt is … Department of Redundancy Department … wait for it … contemptible.

96. Dashingsilverfox says:

G Money: Ah, that explains it!Playing on a powerhouse team makes you worse as an individual!

And 0.86 ppg in your third year is better than 1.11 ppg in your third year!

DSF math.

Also, you’re conveniently forgetting:

Hall, better player, teammates never say anything bad about him, never says anything that would give any indication he cares about anything but the team and the game no matter how lousy the situation, constantly sacrifices his body by giving it all on the ice.Fans call him The Kingston Cannonball and worry about his health.

Kessel, not as good a player, teammates never say anything good about him, never says anything that would give you an indication he cares about his team or the game no matter how good the situation, constantly sacrifices his body by gives it his all when ordering donuts at Tim Hortons.Fans call him The Pilsbury Doughboy and worry about his health.

You may be concerned about Kessel’s health but I would worry more about Hall’s durability.

Kessel hasn’t missed a game in 5 seasons while Hall has missed 77 games over the same 5 year period.

That’s almost an entire season.

97. OilOnslaught "formerly Unicorns" says:

Kitchener:
    2015 offseason for Oiler fans:http://i.imgur.com/czW33QY.gifv

Too true!

98. OilOnslaught "formerly Unicorns" says:

G Money:
    In case anyone hasn’t figured it out, I am NOT a Kessel fan.

Not that I paid that much attention to him, though his petulant behaviour was quite offputting, but whatever.Not my problem.

I lost all respect for him when I saw an offseason shot of him.He was, as a 20-something pro hockey player, fatter than I was at the time.And as a 40-something dad working a desk job, that’s saying something.

Agreed. It’s off-putting from elite talents. While being very good, that he is not, and probably because he doesn’t train as hard as the best do. Nobody gets away without constant hard work at that level.

99. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

Dashingsilverfox: Quite frankly, I don’t care what Hall says or eats, all I care about is what happens on the ice and I see two players with a very similar skill set and a petulant, immature attitude.

That’s almost an entire season.

Is Kessel the farmer with no sweat ring on his work hat?

100. flyfish1168 says:

That’s almost an entire season.

Hall sure shows his passion for the game driving hard to the net. Unlike Kessel that pouts like a little kid on camera whenever he doesn’t get his way. Time to grow up and realize he has it good.

101. blainer says:

That’s almost an entire season.

Sooooo are you saying you would trade Hall for kessel straight up?

102. Dashingsilverfox says:

blainer: Sooooo are you saying you would trade Hall for kessel straight up?

What would be the point?

Same player.

I would trade Hall for 1st pairing D in a heartbeat however,

103. spoiler says:

Rip Fan Winkle “OilOnslaught”: Is Kessel the farmer with no sweat ring on his work hat?

He’s the guy lounging poolside who’s cut like a couch.

104. G Money says:

Dashingsilverfox,

That’s right. Hall sacrifices his body. Kessel does not.

As I said, durability is exactly what I worry about with Hall. It is the one and only real worry.

Conversely, the nonsense about Hall’s petulant, immature attitude is just that – nonsense.

In every game, every interview, every on or off ice situation, his commitment to training, Hall demonstrates the opposite.

Kessel meanwhile, with every interview, every on or off ice situation, every donut he eats, couldn’t confirm his petulant immature attitude more often if he tried. (And frankly, “try” does not appear to be in his vocabulary).

Kessel is a ridiculously skilled player, of this there is no question. Attitude appears to be the heart of the problem.

That attitude difference is a large part of why Hall has outperformed Kessel by a substantial margin in career so far (Hall 0.88, Kessel 0.78 ppg), despite Kessel being at his peak for several years and Hall not yet at his. And if you compare their actual first five years (happy now?) in the league, 0.88 vs 0.66, it’s not close.

You can discount attitude all you want, but in five years (IF Hall stays healthy), Hall and Kessel won’t even be spoken in the same paragraph, let alone sentence. The former will have locked down league wide recognition for being an elite player. The latter, despite his durability (at least partly a byproduct of assiduous avoidance of contact or effort), will be likely be out of the league and will have locked down a spot doing Weight Watchers commercials.

105. VOR says:

Wayne Gretzky – 23 when he won first cup
    Mario Lemieux – 25 when he won first cup
    Sidney Crosby – 21 when he won first cup

Average = 23 years old = 5 years post draft

Peter Chiarelli – hired May 26, 2006 as GM Bruins, Boston won Stanley Cup June 15, 2011.

Just saying.

It isn’t hyperbole. It is fact.

I believe Oilers fans expect, and you can read any number of hockey blogs and see fans saying this, that in a year or two Edmonton will be a playoff team, McDavid and Chiarelli make it so. Shortly thereafter the Stanley Cup will return to Edmonton. The problem with this sort of cargo cult thinking is that when the Oilers struggle and aren’t a powerhouse and the new Gods turn out to be as useless as the last crop of Gods the faithful (ie. the famously fickle fans of Edmonton) will go apeshit.

Once again that isn’t hyperbole. It is just a reasonable guess based on the past behavior for Oilers fans are so famous.

I am not doubting McDavid’s talent (look who I am comparing him to) and I am not disputing Chiarelli’s skill as a GM. But I would argue Crosby’s Penguins had more talent than the current Oilers as did the Bruins team Chiarelli took over. Oilers fans need to lower their expectations and they need to do it now or it isn’t going to end well.

106. G Money says:

spoiler: cut like a couch.

Heh heh.

107. Dashingsilverfox says:

G Money:
    Dashingsilverfox,

That’s right.Hall sacrifices his body.Kessel does not.

As I said, durability is exactly what I worry about with Hall.It is the one and only real worry.

Kessel meanwhile, with every interview, every on or off ice situation, every donut he eats, couldn’t confirm his petulant immature attitude more often if he tried.(And frankly, “try” does not appear to be in his vocabulary).

Kessel is a ridiculously skilled player, of this there is no question.Attitude appears to be the heart of the problem.

That attitude difference is a large part of why Hall has outperformed Kessel by a substantial margin in career so far (Hall 0.88, Kessel 0.78 ppg), despite Kessel being at his peak for several years and Hall not yet at his.And if you compare their actual first five years (happy now?) in the league, 0.88 vs 0.66, it’s not close.

You can discount attitude all you want, but in five years (IF Hall stays healthy), Hall and Kessel won’t even be spoken in the same paragraph, let alone sentence.The former will have locked down league wide recognition for being an elite player.The latter, despite his durability (at least partly a byproduct of assiduous avoidance of contact or effort), will be likely be out of the league and will have locked down a spot doing Weight Watchers commercials.

Nice narrative.

Based on wishin’ and hopin’.

108. flyfish1168 says:

G Money:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Wow weight watcher LOL. Don’t they only pick women to do their commercials. Does that mean hes going to change his name to Phyllis

109. Dashingsilverfox says:

VOR:
    Wayne Gretzky – 23 when he won first cup
    Mario Lemieux – 25 when he won first cup
    Sidney Crosby – 21 when he won first cup

Average = 23 years old = 5 years post draft

Just saying.

It isn’t hyperbole. It is fact.

And the reality of the Oilers cap situation will be a wakeup call when McDavid signs his second contract.

If the Oilers acquire 2 top pairing D in that time frame, they’re going to have to pay them big bucks as well.

Some tough decisions will need to be made.

110. Numenius says:

spoiler: Pouzar:
    Guess I’m the only one who prefers Nelson over McLellan.

Godot does too. So you know, you got that going for ya.

You can include me too.

111. Klima's_Bucket says:

gr8one:
    Unrelated, but anyone know why Hemsky isn’t on the Czech team?

Ales Hemsky had hip surgery along with Jamie Benn.
    They are both out 4-5 months.

112. blainer says:

VOR: Quote

Actually just about every blog I have read has said the opposite of the oilers being successful.. In fact just about all the blogs I have read are saying the oilers will just spin their wheels again until they fix the Goaltending And D. As for winning the Cup.. It is probably the hardest trophy to win in all of sports these days and it will most defiantly take more than CMD. As I said earlier I will wait til the end of the summer to pass judgment on how well they will do going forward. IMO they are close. If they get Seabrook and get goaltending of 918 save % or better ..DUMP NN and ference I will say they are a playoff team ..if the team can stay healthy..

113. nelson88 says:

Did Klefbom get injured today? Looks to have only played 6 minutes

114. v4ance says:

ashley:
    This isn’t football, baseball or basketball.One player can not make as much of a difference in hockey like it can in those sports.

In football, there are 12 or 11 players (CFL or NFL) on the field at any one time. In baseball, there are 9 players. In hockey there are 6 on the ice and in basketball, there are 5.

Your argument that one player can not make as much of a difference in those other sports only holds up with basketball with less players on the field resulting in more individual responsibility. With more and more players involved, the less effect one star can have unless it’s at the key positions like QB or pitcher.

115. Dashingsilverfox says:

Stelio Kontos:
    v4ance,

Basketball is very team oriented, but in the NBA
    Dashingsilverfox,

Can’t wait until next year when you cite bad luck as the reason these guys regress.

Which guys?

Kessel?

Or Hall?

116. Stelio Kontos says:

VOR,

Well Gretzky was essentially in the hall position of the timeline. Crosby was in Yak’s. Lemieux was also somewhere around Yak’s. Fact of the matter is the CMD is appearing later in the rebuild than any of those guys. This is a better team (especially fwds) with better prospects who are close. While I don’t think McDavid makes us an instant contender, you’re not telling the whole story.

117. Dashingsilverfox says:

Stelio Kontos:
    VOR,

The Oilers have zero bonafide top 4 D and no NHL goaltending.

The Oilers are overloading their top 6 forwards and have pretty much an expansion level team behind them.

That could change but it won’t happen overnight and it will take moving some of the top 6 forwards to do it.

3 years to the playoffs sounds pretty reasonable to me.

118. Stelio Kontos says:

Dashingsilverfox: Classy.

It just came to me.

Anyway, goalies just pop up, and most previous cup winners have won in spite of goaltending, not because of it. Detroit, pittsburgh, Chicago. Defence has help on the way, and a few UFA signings will go a long way.

119. VOR says:

Blainer, It isn’t bloggers who are suddenly expecting success. At least not most of them. Read the comments on those blogs on the other hand and you see lots of fans with a renewed sense of optimism that almost borders on being Pollyannish. This is true even on this blog. You are not alone in thinking with a few major moves the Oilers will be in contention for the playoffs next year.

The problem with this idea is that Connor McDavid will get the Mario Lemieux push. That is he will be getting cherry ozone starts, the best possible linemates, the worst possible competition, and huge minutes. Do you think I am wrong about this?

He will post tremendous boxcars. And he will get killed in terms of giving up more than he creates. Lemieux is the poster child for this. He was minus 35 in his rookie year.

Meanwhile McDavid’s minutes and usage will take away from better players (better next year not over time). It will also prevent the sheltering minutes being available for some of the Oilers other defensively challenged players. Any upgrades to the defence and goaltending will be fighting against a deterioration in the defence of the forward core.

That is just the reality of being fortunate enough to have a generational talent. You have to let them play, let them make mistakes, lots of mistakes. That is how the great ons fine tune their skills, by playing and playing a lot regardless of whether or not that is good for the team.

As for a .918 SV%, which goalie do you think they are signing from the top twenty goalies in SV% this year? Because a .918 SV% made you top twenty in the NHL this year.

120. Snowman says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Three years to playoffs seems reasonable to you? Hall is petulant and not better than Kessel despite what the math and the anecdotal stories around the two players say? You’d agree Mcdavid has a higher ceiling than Tavares? Blah blah blah.

You’re good for a couple laughs tonight. Never change.

121. VOR says:

Stelio Kontas – I am not trying to mislead by cherry picking stats. I am just saying that the Oilers are not a good hockey team and hockey is a team sport. It has taken great talents, as good or better than McDavid is likely to be, years to turn bad teams around.

I don’t think Oilers fans have much patience left. I think if the Oilers aren’t in the playoffs by 2016-17 at the latest all hell will break loose and Connor McDavid could easily get caught in the crossfire. Oilers fans developing reasonable expectations for the young man and his team will hopefully prevent him being eaten alive by desperate fans who are, I’m afraid, currently expecting miracles.

We are watching one of the greatest players in today’s NHL, Taylor Hall, and trashing him. That is the result of unreasonable expectations. McDavid is expected to be far better than Hall. If he isn’t, and he probably won’t be immediately, how will rank and file fans react. I mean these are the fans who say Eberle, Hall, and Hopkins are various versions of shit and expect McDavid, as far as I can tell from cruising comments sections of many sites, to be better than all three of those clowns combined.

I don’t think the Oilers have to make the playoffs next season, but they do need to turn north and win more games. McDavid is part of the solution, but there’s also a better goalie and the admission that the defensive solutions aren’t working.

If we look at McDavid as an instant savior, that’s on us. I don’t think Oilers fans feel that way.

123. spoiler says:

VOR,

I think part of what is built into the optimism by some is the effed up nature of this season.

I don’t think the team was as bad as it looked.

A big chunk of the losses came in the midst of a self-fulfilling losing streak.

The luck at the beginning of the season, along with the goaltending was horrific, on a fragile team.

Key players struggled with injury. Ebs for example didn’t miss much time, but played almost a half a season with a bum wrist, directly affecting what he’s best at.

Others think that changing the coach from Eakins will generate more wins. Improving the powerplay etc.

Maybe just having a GM who isn’t putting in the culture of “development year” will have an effect.

When Mario came onto the team, it was at year 1 of their rebuild. Of course it was going to take time. That’s like if Chicago had drafted Kane when they drafted Keith and Seabrook. Instead they won the Cup on Kane’s ELC… because he was the last draft piece.

Crosby was the 2nd draft of Pitt’s rebuild… took a little longer, but not by much.

I’m not saying the Oil will make the playoffs next year or win a Cup in 3, but both are do-able, and while we will probably fall short, we should be in the conversation for both in that time frame… A team heading in that direction.

124. Adam Wu says:

If that is what you see on the ice, then you are blind.

Or perhaps that is simply what you WANT to see, and your brain makes it so, because that is your preferred narrative.

125. The Finnish Flash says:

Getting McLellan as a coach isn’t the right move. The young guys on this team are seem to be gelling well with Nelson and to finally have a stable coach would be beneficial as they have not had a stable coach yet in their short career. If they aren’t getting a deal with Babcock done they may as well stick with what they got.

126. The Finnish Flash says:

Dashingsilverfox,

That trade would make no sense. you will never get back anything even close to the caliber of Hall. He has two Memorial Cup MVP’s and he shows every game in the NHL and in IIHF why he is the NO.1 or NO. 2 LW in the league. Why would trade him away when you can have that LW alongside McDavid.

127. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The evidence available to suggest Hall and Kessel deserve this absurd level of old mannin’ moralizing finger waving is pretty thin… but, moral scolds gonna moral scold.

As to the hockey… the idea that either of these players are expendable and replaceable is simply asinine. End of story.

Seriously, if you are debating whether these people are good, moral persons… your moral compass is way too heavy handed and your moral trigger finger is way too itchy.

And, if you are debating whether these players are good players… your hockey compass is fucked.

128. PhrankLee says:

Lowetide: sliderule:
    Even Gretsky and Messiier had there critics but I just don’t see it with Hall..
    The Internet gives everyone a voice but you just have to laugh off the idiots.

I’m old and I ripped him cause he was a whipper-snapper.

Back when he was whip-snappering.

These days, last 1.5 yrs, he has hit chrysalis and emerged, what a hockey player.

Cannot be traded. This is what being drunk with talent does. Makes us forget how rare skill actually is.

129. Frank the dog says:

For the last how many years we’ve been sold on “this year will be different”

Sure, tho year has a chance to be better than last year and more than a few before that.
    The biggest difference will likely be simple credibility.

A big name draftee, GM and coach will likely make it possible to bring on the players we need at a price the cap will allow.

We’d be a better team anyway with Dallas freakin’ Eakins finally out the door and Chia should not be bound by MacT’s ties to players that have been holding the team down.

But its the fact of the big names that will actually get the supporting players we need to make the stars successful. So let’s not get too high on the offseason ether. Let the first 20 games do the talking. Then the next 20 and then the next and so on.

130. blainer says:

VOR:

I do agree that CMD alone is not the answer. I still thought even without winning the lottery with better goaltending and D plus the development of our core we are getting close. More than anything we NEED quality goaltending. Who will that be .. That is up to PC.. there are lots of options through FA and trades.. Also agreed on CMD making some of the other players vulnerable defensively .. to me that is YAK… hopefully the light goes on or somehow and they play him with vet center or Lander hopefully fills that role..

I said the same thing last summer and will say it this summer our season will come down goaltending… That IS the most important position to me period not CMD.. Now we have to make that happen. I would stock every level with goalies… Sign a FA and a Matt O’Connor and make Scrivens fight for the back up.. then draft two goalies in the later rounds.. again with goaltending and an upgrade on D we are close to competing.. I do worry about YAK though..

131. Kmart99 says:

G Money: …for anyone to have called Tavares the “Next One” as they’re calling McDavid isn’t really supportable.

That kind of hype did happen. I remember it well, but it only happened during Tavares’ 72g season. The years following saw the hype machine slow down. During his draft year he was barely the consensus #1. But make no mistake, when he outscored Gretz that second year, the hype was massive.

132. Kmart99 says:

G Money:
    Dashingsilverfox,

That’s right.Hall sacrifices his body.Kessel does not.

After meeting Hall once during his 18 yr old season he seemed … Like any ordinary 18 yr old. Playing pool with Ebs. Not being a massive drunken mess as so many rumours have claimed.
    I bugged them for signatures and Ebs signed my Oilers hat, but hall said no. Didn’t bother me, seeing as I was probably annoying both of them who were just trying to play pool. My exchange was maybe 45 seconds to a minute, as are probably 90% of all fan exchanges with Oilers. For anyone to extrapolate a complete personality and attitude profile from that is ridiculous.

I remember being 18, I wouldn’t have signed shit, I was a total DB and likely would have told myself to pound sand for being so rude.

Hall’s attitude is fine, I’ve watched countless interviews and have no reason to believe he’s a coach killer like Kessel. Maybe he had a little attitude at 18 yrs of age(who didn’t?) but he seems to have he’s head on straight right now. If anything, he should be commended for not asking for a trade.

133. RexLibris says:

Did you read Matheson’s article on McDavid in the EJ yesterday?

He referenced Gretzky several times.

I’m concerned not about the amount of hype but rather the tone it may begin to take.

I’m beyond thrilled that he will be an Oiler but those comparisons are way out of line, in my opinion.

134. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Personally I think there’s a time and place for celebrities to make time for autographs and outside that people should treat them like normal people and not ask.

Now that means these famous people should make some time for it.

But that was one nice thing about NYC. You’d see celebrities at dinner all the time and not a single person would ever approach them for a photo or autograph.

Now on the job, at the rink, before getting on the team bus, at any other work related anything, they should make the time for their fans.

135. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

CMD cannot single handedly make the Oilers a contender. But the Oilers owing to so many high drafts are certainly a more stacked team than the Islanders were on Tavares’ debut:

Some good players, he was the only elite. Still is.

The point is 3 players make the Oilers a completely different team. Two tough comp D and a stable goalie. It is not unreasonable in any way to say a competent GM can’t find 3 competent NHL players in one summer and draft, given each could be bought UFA, there is enough cap space, and the Oilers now have everything to lure UFA’s anyone else has except weather and I don’t think any player worth having puts that very high on the checklist.

I’m not saying dynasty, I’m saying playoffs soon. Really good moves by Peachy take this argument even further forward.

136. rickithebear says:

20-22 yr start to Career min 130gm (modern Era)
    #8 Crosby 1.35 PPG
    #113 Getzlaf .83 PPG
    #128 Eberle .80 PPG
    #133 B. Ryan .78 PPG
    #147 Duschene .75 PPG
    #155 Horton .73 PPG
    #155 O’Rielly .73 PPG
    #160 RNH .72 PPG if he continues at his under nelson pace he ends up with .84 PPG 20-22
    #160 Benn .72 PPG
    #160 Johansen .72 PPG

137. ashley says:

G Money: I take no issue with the rest of your post, but you’ll have to explain this one to me.Tavares *never* had the kind of hype approaching the draft that McDavid is getting, and rightly so.His numbers in Jr were really really good, but nothing truly out of the ordinary for #1 picks.

In perspective, a handful of #1 and #2 picks the last few years.

Tavares 1.86 ppg
    Hall 1.86 ppg
    Reinhart 1.75 ppg
    Stamkos 1.72 ppg
    McKinnon 1.70 ppg
    Seguin 1.68 ppg
    Yakupov 1.64 ppg
    RNH 1.54 ppg

(And of course Kane’s 2.5 and Gagner’s 2.0).

Sure that looks good framed from the present, but at the time, there really was a lot of hype. This was based on his draft-2 year which was all world, and sandbagging his draft-1 year for some sort of injury/illness (was it mono?).

I recall “generational” being uttered several times in the same sentence as Tavares, though there were some question marks based on his draft-1 production. As we now know, the draft-1 year more closely resembles the talent he turned into.

Still, the point is that yes, McDavid has a good chance of being better than Tavares, but he also might land somewhere close to him in ability. Still an amazing player, and that mindset leaves us less likely to crucify McDavid when he doesn’t deliver Crosby or Lemieux numbers. If he does, then we are all happy.

At the end of the day, McDavid is probably going to score something like 25 goals and have 33 assists next year which will be an incredible rookie season by any measure in today’s NHL, but he’ll take the minutes of someone who was going to score 15-15 and maybe gives up less the other way than a raw rookie. What are those extra 10 goals worth? 4-5 extra wins? That’s not playoffs. He moves the needle for sure, but we have to maintain reasonable expectations.

He’s not going to make our goalie save 93% of the shots instead of 88%, he’s not going to convert Nikitin into Pronger, and he’s not going to make Jultz give a shit. That’s the problem with our current expectations for McDavid.

Of the newest hires, who has a better chance of positively affecting this team’s outcome next year, McD or Chia?

138. The Finnish Flash says:

Connor McDavid and Taylor Hall are going to be the modern day Wayne Gretzky and Jari Kurri. The possibilities are there.