THE 50-MAN AS CHIARELLI TAKES THE HELM

Peter Chiarelli is shopping for a head coach these days, but will soon begin the process of turning over the roster and making improvements up the middle. It’s probably a good idea to list the current (as I understand it) 50-man roster along with a few notes on each player.

1. G Ben Scrivens (suspect he’ll return in a backup role)
  2. G Laurent Brossoit (AHL starter and plenty of opportunity to move up)
  3. G Tyler Bunz (RFA) (I don’t think he gets a renewal, .890 in ECHL not good enough)
  4. G Frans Tuohimaa (RFA) (.876 in the ECHL is even worse than not good enough)
  5. D Nikita Nikitin (New GM/Coach are going to circle that name and salary in red pen)
  6. D Justin Schultz (RFA) (Suspect he will return, but he’s a project at this point)
  7. D Mark Fayne (One of the few names the new coach can count on)
  8. D Andrew Ference (5-6-7D likely role for coming season. Does he remain captain?)
  9. D Oscar Klefbom (bright lights, big city. Golden decade, straight ahead)
  10. D Martin Marincin (RFA) (One hopes Chiarelli saw him good)
  11. D Keith Aulie (RFA) (May get another two-way contract)
  12. D Brad Hunt (RFA) (May get another two-way contract)
  13. D Jordan Oesterle (I think they like him a lot, the speed is going to get him NHL looks)
  14. D Brandon Davidson (RFA) (prediction: signed to a two-way deal, generous AHL portion)
  15. D Dillon Simpson (His progress in season two pro should be fun to watch)
  16. D Martin Gernat (One hopes he follows the conditioning program closely this summer)
  17. D David Musil (Chiarelli employed Adam McQuaid. Musil will be fine)
  18. D Darnell Nurse (Folks, I think he makes the opening night roster. Seriously)
  19. D Ben Betker (May need to spend some time in the ECHL if it gets crowded)
  20. D Joey Laleggia (Can learn plenty from Hunt and Oesterle in Bakersfield)
  21. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (He’s a wonderful player already, and has some development track left)
  22. C Anton Lander (newly signed and bona fide)
  23. C Boyd Gordon (veteran could be trade bait by deadline if things break right)
  24. C Leon Draisaitl (Up in the air a little, but he’s a quality talent Edmonton or Bakersfield)
  25. C Bogdan Yakimov (Shoulder aside, strong season)
  26. C Jujhar Khaira (Solid checker, offense may keep him from NHL career)
  27. C Travis Ewanyk (Not enough offense, we knew it draft day)
  28. C Kellen Lain (RFA) (A big body,long shot get a contract)
  29. C Kyle Platzer (newly signed) (Suspect he’ll play in Bakersfield next season)
  30. L Taylor Hall (healthy and ripping up Prague)
  31. L Benoit Pouliot (A rugged winger with skill)
  32. L Matt Hendricks (Had a wonderful year, can he do it again?)
  33. L Luke Gazdic (I’m not sure about his future on a Chiarelli team)
  34. L Matt Fraser (RFA) (prediction: signed to a two-way deal)
  35. L Ryan Hamilton (he’ll be the veteran hand in the  minors helping to guide the kids)
  36. L Curtis Hamilton (RFA) (Very uncertain future)
  37. L Mitch Moroz (I think Chiarelli might like him)
  38. L Kale Kessy (If he can play, Kessy may have a future)
  39. R Jordan Eberle (Fun watching him score at the WHC’s)
  40. R Nail Yakupov  (I have absolutely no idea how this will go)
  41. R Teddy Purcell (I think he’ll be back)
  42. R Rob Klinkhammer (Signed for next season, may have competition for his job)
  43. R Iiro Pakarinen (I think he is going to make the team and have an impact)
  44. R Tyler Pitlick (RFA) (prediction: signed to a reasonable one-way deal)
  45. R Greg Chase (He has NHL ability, just has to be consistent and play a complete game)
  46. R Andrew Miller (RFA) (prediction: signed to a two-way deal, generous AHL portion)

Players who may be signed:

1. C Derek Roy (UFA)
  2. R John McCarron (must be signed, he’s a college senior, or he’s a free agent)
  3. L Daniil Zharkov (no idea about his signing restrictions but team does own his rights)
  4. C Marco Roy (he’ll be in the Memorial Cup, so we may not know until late)
  5. L Anton Slepyshev (rumors afoot he will be signed)
  6. R Jackson Houck (signs or re-enters, doesn’t look good for him as an Oiler)

I’ll guess they sign Slepyshev, and also think that Bunz, Tuohimaa, Gernat, Lain and Curtis Hamilton are less than 50% to return next season. That would leave the 50-man list at 42 before McDavid and Kukan. It’s important to remember that Chiarelli has no ties to any of these young prospects, so the window of opportunity for (say) Martin Gernat is going to be very small. I have no idea about Marco Roy and the chances of signing him, but hope they get him under contract.

Chiarelli won’t hesitate to trade a prospect or young player (he’s already said that) for an established NHL option. Who does that put in a new situation? Men like Martin Marincin, Leon Draisaitl and Nail Yakupov, along with picks No. 16 and No. 33 plus next season’s first-round selection.

Hold on, ladies. This could be some ride.

71 Responses to "THE 50-MAN AS CHIARELLI TAKES THE HELM"

1. LMHF#1 says:

Really hope the new guy lets a bunch of the big/slow/limited scoring go through release or trade (looking at you Moroz). Need to flush a guy like Hunt too. There just isn’t enough room for a guy who can’t and won’t contribute in the NHL.

If he’s signing guys like Matt Fraser, we’re not heading in the right direction. Again, no room for that.

2. VanOil says:

R Nail Yakupov (RFA) (I have absolutely no idea how this will go)

I predict a two year bridge deal! During which he goes supernova.

3. blainer says:

I will be VERY surprised if Nurse makes the team.. He can’t even crack the OKC lineup yet.. IF he was that good he would have been playing immediately… Trying to have him get some time to get acclimated…hogwash… what an excuse.. I would think Drai’s chances are better. Yak will be traded way before Drai as Drai is PC’s type of player.. Agreed with you on most all of this and really hope you are right about Nurse being ready.. His stint in OKC will soon tell us IMO.. IF he plays..

There is no room for Hunt with Osterle and Laleggia signed. Time for him to go make money in Europe, or a AHL team that needs an offensive AHL D.

blainer:

The coach may feel more comfortable with his current group and barring injury may not make a change. Nurse is a fantastic prospect, no matter what happens this spring.

6. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAint'sSo! says:

Friedman reporting that Babcock is in Buffalo not Prague. Red Wings may have imposed an internal deadline of May 15th.

7. thejonrmcleod says:

godot10:

If Eakins gets the Flyers’ coaching job, Hunt could be in an NHL opening night lineup.

8. Braden28 says:

SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAint'sSo!,

Friedman reported that Babcock leaves tomorrow for Prague and Detroits deadline is May 25th.

Doesn’t matter, it’ll be the two Todds.

9. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Braden28,

Is Nelson going to stay given McLellan has already said he is bringing his number two guy wherever he goes? The Canes interviewed Nelson before and they have an opening.

I would think Nelson would stay for Babcock but the Oilers risk losing him with McLellan.

10. Ryan says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:
    Braden28,

I like Todd Nelson. I even think he did an admirable job last season given the circumstances. Heck, I even burned minutes off my life defending his corgis.

By all accounts, he’s a likable guy and pretty decent coach.

Is it wrong that I couldn’t care less where he coaches next season if we sign Mclelland?

11. leadfarmer says:

I think its a sign of how much stronger of a league the AHL than the CHL especially in the playoffs, and what a huge disservice it is that players such as Nurse are forced to play in the CHL post draft year 2. He should have been playing in the AHL all year.

I am surprised that with the abundance of lawyers no one has filed an antitrust case against this rule

12. square_wheels says:

Ryan,

Not wrong at all, he’s a great young coach with a very solid resume. There are several teams that would benefit from his ability to communicate and motivate. Don’t be surprised if teams like Stl or Car come knocking even prior to any McLellan deal.

His OKC resume speaks for itself, let alone cobbling something together out of the back half of this season.

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:
    Braden28,

Is Woodcroft a Dman coach?

If not I can see McLellen offering that to Nelson and letting Ramsay go.

14. theres oil in virginia says:

Ryan: I like Todd Nelson.I even think he did an admirable job last season given the circumstances.Heck, I even burned minutes off my life defending his corgis.

By all accounts, he’s a likable guy and pretty decent coach.

Is it wrong that I couldn’tcare less where he coaches next season if we sign Mclelland?

No. No it’s not.

15. Dashingsilverfox says:

Woodguy: Is Woodcroft a Dman coach?

If not I can see McLellen offering that to Nelson and letting Ramsay go.

16. square_wheels says:

So if Babs stays in DET and McLelland goes to a team closer to deep playoff runs, like a STL, then what ?
    Nelson stays ? Who else is strong enough to take a young team with some big holes behind the F’s to the next level ? I’m not sold on Chia bringing his Boston crew over.

17. square_wheels says:

Dashingsilverfox,

As apposed to our guy who is “in the sky” taking to MacT who relays to Lowe, who double checks with Katz , who may or may not be watching, who then asks his real boss(it’s mom’s day, we all know who where’s the pants), then finally Neslon gets told he shoulda benched Niki and Jultz 7 mins prior ?

18. Ryan says:

square_wheels:
    Ryan,

I agree with you here.

I’d be happy to see Nelson stay as an associate… I’d be thrilled for him if he could get a head coach gig in Carolina or elsewhere…

What matters more than either for me though is seeing this team turn north and that starts with having a bonafide NHL coach…

Mclelland=Yes, please.

19. Richard S.S. says:

Keeping anyone on the fifty should be because they are the best ones there. To stay on the list means you need to skate well, do the right stuff with the puck and do the job you’re supposed to. One more thing, do it very well.

20. blainer says:

Lowetide: I understand disappointment in not seeing Nurse in the lineup for the first two playoff games, but that doesn’t really mean much in the grand scheme of things. If Nurse doesn’t play AT ALL during the post-season it shouldn’t (imo) reflect on him as a negative.

I love your optimism.. as you always say…. we wait..

21. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Ryan,

Sure, I’m for McLellan. Hall and Eberle seem to be impressed and that says something. I like Nelson, too. Hope he stays, but for those assuming he stays just because, well we have to consider that A) he may be in demand B) getting passed over a second time he may decide to just leave C) the new coach may not want to be told to keep certain assistants on and may want to bring in his own guys, that’s all.

Also, I get this feeling that Babcock would be the best thing to ever happen to Nuge and would turn him into that Datsyuk type we all hope for, a two-way beauty of a player (he may get there anyway but Babcock would really accelerate his development in my opinion).

Meanwhile, McLellan may get the most out of Hall. He had a similarly speedy attacker named Marleau and knew how to get good results out of him.

I wish we could see both happen in parallel universes to see if I’m right. I think a healthy Hall under McLellan with McDavid on his line could put up 90points and contend for the Art Ross.

Waiting for DSF’s response now. 😉

22. square_wheels says:

Ryan,

Nelson is going to get his own gig, here as 2nd choice but preferably as a HC in the east on a rebuild. Poor bugger better not take the Leafs job, surely he couldn’t be that desperate.

Either way, so happy to know I will no longer have that look Jerry has on his face when George is lying on his kitchen floor, pants around his ankles yelling “say Vandelay Industries”‘when we spend most of our PP in our own zone.

Dashingsilverfox: “Jay Woodcroft was named assistant coach of the San Jose Sharks prior to the 2008-09 season. He is responsbile for designing the penalty kill schemes, working with the centers on faceoff technique and pre-scouting the opposition for the Sharks. He plays a key role in in-game adjustments by being the Sharks’ “eye in the sky.”

Thanks DSF.

Sounds like Rocky’s current position.

By many accounts Rocky’s a pretty good coach, he might go back to OKC.

Leaves a spot for Nelson too.

24. jake70 says:

Can someone (maybe already discussed in earlier threads) speak to the reason McLellan was let go? And why he couldn’t get them over the hump there in SJ, with that team? Not an anti McLellan post, fyl.

25. leadfarmer says:

If you’re not watching the caps NYR game you are missing one of the best games I’ve seen in a while

26. Ryan says:

jake70:
    Can someone (maybe already discussed in earlier threads) speak to the reason McLellan was let go?And why he couldn’t get them over the hump there in SJ, with that team?Not an anti McLellan post, fyl.

Sj never had elite goaltending and always had a pretty thin blue line.

27. Dashingsilverfox says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:
    Ryan,

Sure, I’m for McLellan. Hall and Eberle seem to be impressed and that says something. I like Nelson, too. Hope he stays, but for those assuming he stays just because, well we have to consider that A) he may be in demand B) getting passed over a second time he may decide to just leave C) the new coach may not want to be told to keep certain assistants on and may want to bring in his own guys,that’s all.

Waiting for DSF’s response now.

The parallel universes do exist.

The trick is to find a way to view them.

Quantum physics tell us the subject of the experiment changes it behaviour when it is being observed.

28. T0ML says:

Ryan: Sj never had elite goaltending and always had a pretty thin blue line.

SOOOOO … He will fit in very well in edmonton then ….

29. Ryan says:

T0ML: SOOOOO … He will fit in very well in edmonton then ….

Hey, I said that SJ had non-elite goaltending and a thin blue line.

I never said that he coached a team with Mactavish-level goaltending and defensemen. 🙂

30. square_wheels says:

Does Washington lose Ozone face offs ? Man, what a game.

31. Braden28 says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:
    Braden28,

Just judging by the lengthy interview the Oilers had with him today, as reported by Freidman, I think they are discussing all options. I don’t know the role Woodcroft plays with McLellan, but there would still be room for one more. I think th biggest factor is Nelson’s ego. He’s paid his dues as a NHL assistant, an AHL head coach and now a NHL head coach.

Is he willing to be an assistant again? I know I’d like to be a part of the leadership that leads this group going forward. They’re going to make the coaches and managers look awfully smart.

32. jake70 says:

Ryan: Sj never had elite goaltending and always had a pretty thin blue line.

Just get this crappy feeling we’ll be sitting here talking in 2 years about McLellan being let go, with 3 years left on a 5 year deal, joining a long list of coaches and execs on the payroll (that Krueger article yesterday mentioned he is still collecting $ from the Oilers).

33. Braden28 says:

Woodguy: Thanks DSF.

Sounds like Rocky’s current position.

By many accounts Rocky’s a pretty good coach, he might go back to OKC.

Leaves a spot for Nelson too.

34. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Braden28: I’d argue that it’s better for Nelson’s future to be an associate with the Oilers for the next couple of years, than to be a head coach of a flailing franchise.

Because he already did that this year? 😉

I get your point but not everyone wants to be a bench player for the Yankees. Some would rather start for Kansas City.

Remains to be seen with Nelson. I hope he stays, too, but not counting on it.

35. Lois Lowe says:

If I were Nelson, I would realistically look at my odds of landing an HC job somewhere else in the NHL. Personally, I don’t think it’s a good bet for him. The stench of the Oilers runs deep and he could stand to work under Hockey Canada men (like Nicholson and Chiarelli) if only to get good referrals. It turned out okay for Todd McLellan.

36. slopitch says:

Just reading yesterdays thread. The Drai for Jones talk is interesting. I think if push comes to shove you gotta do it (and I love Drai). The impact of a 1D vs a 3C is too high. Having Nurse and Jones as top pairing for 10 years would be sick, That being said, I spend the entire summer trying to improve the D without moving him or any of the kids. With 10 mill in cap space and new GM I do think the D can be overhauled.

I still think the Oilers are in on Babcock. It may not happen and Im glad they are looking at other options. MacLennan would be a great backup plan.

37. Cahoon says:

Lois Lowe,

I think that if Eakins is garnering interest, then Nelson has a realistic chance at being HC elsewhere. People have to look at his results with a lesser roster than Eakins. He already had an interest from Carolina last year. I think he may be looked at by other teams when the Babcock sweepstakes are done.

38. pts2pndr says:

Blainer
    Coaching 101 , do not change a winning lineup especially with youngster out of junior. It would be disrespectful to the guys that just busted butt for a quad ot. Nurse may fit into lineup back in OKC.

Nelson has succeeded wherever he has been. He doesn’t need to ride anyone’s coattails, even McDavid’s.

Why should a young man like Nelson give up his career aspirations?

In his Oilers/OKC career, Nelson has constantly faced challenging situations. Like an all ECHL defense pretty much for an extended period of time, when the OIlers and OKC were devastated by injury. Like having a whole new team at mid-season during the lockout year, when all the NHL’ers left for Edmonton when the lockout ended. Like that epic Senator’s like run to the playoffs last year. As well as managing the mess when he stepped into the interim OIlers job last December.

40. cabbiesmacker says:

Ryan: Sj never had elite goaltending and always had a pretty thin blue line.

I don’t agree at all. Dan Boyle, Rob Blake, Ehrhoff, Vlasic his first year.

Boyle for almost his entire term. Vlasic his entire term. Brent Burns 2011 on. Much better D than most teams.

Nabokov and Niemi both had excellent SV% by and large so goaltending wasn’t a huge problem.

Mclellans first year they win the President’s trophy and bow out first round to the 8th seed.

Flat out shit the bed last year when they had LA down 3 – 0 and blew 4 straight. Pathetic. performance with the lineup they had.

Sorry but they had a solid lineup most of his tenure and came up flat.

Free Todd Nelson.

41. cabbiesmacker says:

Cahoon:
    Lois Lowe,

If Eakins is garnering one lick of interest I’d say it’s guaranteed Nelson gets a HC job.

Eakins could F up a skate sharpening and remain arrogant the entire time.

42. Aitch says:

Can Nelson up and leave as some are suggesting? He’s under contract for another season. (I would’ve thought they had to give him a new contract when he rooks the reigns. Didn’t realize you could just call someone up like that.)

Hypothetically, if he does and he takes on another head coaching gig, the Oilers would be due compensation for having their coach poached, right?

43. cabbiesmacker says:

Lois Lowe:

Unless one is a former BOTB of course, where it’s perfectly alright to be completely shitty and keep moving up the ladder.

Nelson’s put in his time and should get first shot at the job now that things “seem” to be turning around with better management.

44. Lois Lowe says:

Cahoon,

I’m not sure how you come by lesser roster than Eakins, but my point remains the same. He’s staring down the barrel of a very good thing; why jump ships to a worse situation?

45. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Lois Lowe:
    Cahoon,

Why? I think as my example above suggested, not everyone wants to be a bench guy for the Yankees; some would rather the opportunity to start for the Royals. And the Oilers certainly haven’t been the Yankees. If Carolina, for example, offered a head coaching gig, why would Nelson not accept that and stay here to be #2 or #3? He doesn’t owe the Oilers anything.

If he stays, awesome, but let’s not pretend like he’d be making a huge mistake if he left to be head coach elsewhere, even if it is a lottery team in a marginal market.

I’m not saying he will, but we don’t know that he won’t.

If some of you know him and know otherwise then I stand corrected. But as Cabbiesmacker says, he has earned a shot somewhere.

46. Hammers says:

47. Hammers says:

They got where they are without him . Last thing he needs is to break in and the team loosest. . That would break his heart as well as there fans . Not an easy spot to be in.

48. OF17 says:

Really like the idea of bringing in McLellan. I’d rather have a AAA Wagyu sirloin than a mystery box with either AAAA or NY strip inside it.

Don’t agree with Cabbiesmacker on the playoffs record either. That team wins or loses on the back of Joe Thornton, and consequently, their good and bad playoff performances coincide with Thornton’s. In the series against LA in 2013, the Sharks were up 3-1 only to have Thornton score 1 goal and 0 assists in the final 3 games and lose in 7. In the collapse last year, Thornton had 0 points in the final 4 games. 2012’s 4-1 loss to STL is the only year that bucks the trend – Thornton had 5 points in the 3 games after it was tied 1-1, but this time Marleau took his turn to pull 0s. No points for him that whole series.

When only one of your two best players is firing at any given time, it’s hard to win games, especially since SJS has been built top heavy around that Thornton-Marleau duo for several years now.

Teams like Chicago can get away with Toews or Kane not having a productive series because they’re so deep. Toews with 16 points in 2013 is as unproductive as that duo has been in the playoffs, but they still had Kane, Sharp, Bickell, Hossa, and Keith to pull them through offensively. The Sharks last year had Marleau, Pavelski, the best 7-game stretch of James Sheppard’s career, and two rookies to go up against the eventual Cup winners. Without Thornton on that list, it’s simply not good enough.

49. OF17 says:

cabbiesmacker: It’s just soooo Edmonton Oilers to boot a guy who put in his time without complaint and actually did an excellent job for them isn’t it?

Hiring because of “put in his time” and “should get first shot” is exactly the sort of thinking the organization is trying to get rid of. Thank god. It’s the type of thinking that leads you to hire MacT as GM rather than going for a more qualified candidate.

50. Ducey says:

No. Nelson is a good coach. But he has nowhere the experience or pedigree that T Mac does. Nelson is where T Mac was 10 yrs ago.

And the fancy stats say that Nelson didnt do that well on garbage time last year. If the Oilers go back to Nelson, they don’t get it.

51. OF17 says:

Ducey: No.Nelson is a good coach. But he has nowhere the experience or pedigree that T Mac does. Nelson is where T Mac was 10 yrs ago.

Andthe fancy stats say that Nelson didnt do that well on garbage time last year. If the Oilers go back to Nelson, they don’t get it.

I agree with the general thrust, but if the Oilers lose out on Babcock, McLellan, and the other more established coaches, they could do worse than Todd Nelson. Thankfully it seems pretty likely McLellan gets signed (I’m having flashes back to McDavid- and Chiarelli-esque “can’t believe I just typed that”), which would mean a huge upgrade at coach.

Great time to be an Oilers fan.

52. Braden28 says:

godot10: Nelson has succeeded wherever he has been.He doesn’t need to ride anyone’s coattails, even McDavid’s.

Why should a young man like Nelson give up his career aspirations?

In his Oilers/OKC career, Nelson has constantly faced challenging situations.Like an all ECHL defense pretty much for an extended period of time, when the OIlers and OKC were devastated by injury.Like having a whole new team at mid-season during the lockout year, when all the NHL’ers left for Edmonton when the lockout ended.Like that epic Senator’s like run to the playoffs last year.As well as managing the mess when he stepped into the interim OIlers job last December.

Nelson has done a wondeful job in the AHL, I wouldn’t argue that. However, coaches who do not have success at the NHL level do not stay as head coaches and have a very difficult time getting another gig. Quinn, Krueger, Renney, Eakins are all recent Oiler examples of coaches who did not succeed and haven’t found themselves behind the bench as a head coach again. Krueger might be the only one working in the NHL now…

McLellen’s career path is the one I’d try to emulate. AHL success (Calder Cup), NHL assistant success (Stanley Cup), then was able to choose a good head coaching job, instead of whatever is available (Won President’s Trophy first year with San Jose).

He’s his own man and will choose his own path, and I’ll cheer for him whether he stays or leaves because he’s been a great employee through all this crap. Mostly I’ll just thank him for Anton Lander!

53. RexLibris says:

WoI has the final corsi count on the Flames/Ducks game as 23/70 in favour of the Ducks.

Ramo will be seeing pucks in his nightmares tonight.

54. edwards_daddy says:

Flames season ends after a third period comeback, and OT winner.
    Oh, the irony.

55. striatic says:

Flames were completely outclassed by the Ducks.

They were extremely lucky even to get to overtime.

56. Gally says:

Braden28: Nelson has done a wondeful job in the AHL, I wouldn’t argue that. However, coaches who do not have success at the NHL level do not stay as head coaches and have a very difficult time getting another gig. Quinn, Krueger, Renney, Eakins are all recent Oiler examples of coaches who did not succeed and haven’t found themselves behind the bench as a head coach again. Krueger might be the only one working in the NHL now..

57. OF17 says:

Gally: Quinn had a ton of success as a coach in the NHL, pre-Oilers, and then basically retired, at age 69, and is now dead. Ten months after Kruger was let go, he became the Chairman of Southampton. Two months after Renney was let go, he was hired as Babcock’s number two, and then took over Bob’s spot as the CEO of Hockey Canada. And Eakins was fired midseason. Kinda hard to take another head coaching position in those scenarios.

Eh, I don’t know about that. If someone approached Renney or Krueger with a head coaching job before they found their landing spots, do you really think they would’ve turned it down? Quinn is unique in that he retired from the game after the Oilers, but those other two I think found different options because there weren’t any NHL head coaching ones.

You can throw MacT into that pile as well. Would he have taken the AHL job if he had an NHL opportunity?

58. Cyanide says:

This is way late but i am a night owl and i don’t sleep so this time of night is when I do my reading.

here is an article, that explains Tom Renney and who he is. Also points out he was offered a head coaching job after Edmonton, but he turned it down to go to Detroit.

And Krueger had not even started to look for a job when he was offered his job now which pays exponentially more than a hockey job ever could.

59. Kmart99 says:

Hall, Eberle, and Crosby leading CAN in scoring. I’m not surprised, and neither should you be.
    Hall and Eberle have shown to be the offensive leaders in their respective positions in the NHL. Ebs pretty much ways a top 5 in scoring for RWers and Hall has been #1 twice.

But I guess the league still thinks the Oilers have ruined their careers.

60. Genjutsu says:

Good Peterborough boy Perry does for the flames. As much as it would be nice to move one spot up in the draft, man it feels good to see the end of the luck machine.

61. PhrankLee says:

Cyanide,

Huddy placing a close second.

Sure, if you were running the org using playground or union rules. “I was here here longest I get the first shot”

If you are trying to be the best, then you try to get the best.

Everyone saying its a shot at Nelson if he doesn’t get the job are wrong.

He’s under contract as the Oilers AHL Head Coach and will probably get a solid shot as an assistant on McLellen’s staff.

Much like DET become a coaching factory with all of Babcock’s assistants getting jobs, I can see McLellen’s Oilers becoming a coaching factory due to the success of the org in the coming years.

Nelson is in a pretty sweet spot and I bet he knows that.

63. Yeti says:

PhrankLee: I am in the minority on this blog on this issue as I feel that Tom Renney is “the one that got away”.

64. sumaclab says:

This is where I say the Oilers need to invest money in a couple of European league teams. Maybe one in the KHL and another in the Swedish Elite League. The ability to move players to Europe and have them play without the constriction of the 50 man contract. With the way teams are floundering financially in the KHL it would be a steal to invest or partner with a team in the KHL. Say in the Czech Republic. Or a team in Latvia.
    Some of these players need a little more time to develop.Just sayin.
    NN,Ference,Fraser and Aulie should be done and done.

65. supernova says:

LT

What made you change your mind on Gernat ?

I asked you a few weeks back if you can see them buying him out or trading him? You thought he would make it to the end of his ELC.

Was it PC hiring?

To me it seems like the Organization is done with him, almost never hear anything about him. GM that drafted him is gone, seems to be going backwards while other prospects are passing him,

66. Cyanide says:

PhrankLee:
    Cyanide,

Huddy placing a close second.

I feel the same as you, but I am also in the Krueger is one we should not have let go, I dont think he was the greatest head coach but as an associate coach or even in development or as an exec he would be a very good commodity. The things Krueger has done in the sports world are things that need to be done with the oilers.

67. Cyanide says:

Yeti: I’m not sure it is a minority position. I imagine there is a fair consensus round these parts that firing Renney was a mistake, and inevitable speculation that his removal was more down to clashes with the management group than the on-ice product.

68. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

Cyanide: Tom Renney wasn’t fired his contract was not renewed.(which i guess you could call being fired) Everything I have read over the years leads me to believe it was somewhat Tom Renney’s decision. I think his yrs in NY that he coached a team that was not built to win and then his yr’s in Edmonton wore him out. He seemed to be very worn down and Burnt out. It seemed to me he wanted out of the spotlight of being a head coach, which is why he took the associate coaching gig in Detroit.

After reading your link I get the feeling Babcock isn’t going to be the new coach. I think this decision for the Oilers might be a harder one than it seems.

69. Cyanide says:

Rip Fan Winkle “OilOnslaught”,
    The only reason The Oilers are in the conversation with Babcock is the ties to the HC group. I dont think they wait forever to make his decision. Plus another compensatory pick to pay for Babcock, might make them stop as well

70. rickithebear says:

McLellan:
    08-09 1st Pacific (pres Trophy) lost Ana 1st round (nabakov .910 Reg .890 Playoff)
    09-10 1st pacific Lost CHi (cup Champ) Conf final (nabakov .922 Reg .907 Playoff)
    10-11 1st pacific lost VCR Conf Final (Niemi .920 Reg .896 Playoff)
    11-12 2nd Pacific lost STL (1st CENT) 1st round (niem .915 Reg i .914 Playoff)
    12-13 3rd Pacific Lost LAK 2nd Round 4-3 (.Niemi .924 Reg .930 Playoff)
    13-14 2nd Pacific Lost LAK (Cup Champ) 1st Round 4-3 (niem 913 reg .884 playoff)
    14-15 missed playoffs. (niemi .914 Reg)