SIGN YOUR NAME

The Oilers have been running low on Finns lately, but it sounds like Eetu Laurikainen is either signed or will be under contract soon. Who is Eetu Laurikainen?

• Shawn Mullin, Swift Current Broncos PBP: He’s not a particularely big goalie although not small. He’s positionally sound and his athleticism makes up for only being average size. Laurikainen’s best asset is his poise. Having been around him for two seasons he was able to stay composed and even keel in every situation. It’s a quality his father talked to me about dating back to his childhood. He doesn’t get high or too low. He just doesn’t get rattled. That poise I think was a big part in the faith his teammates had in him. They played very confidently in front of him and trusted him.
  • Cody Nickolet: Extremely athletic and doesn’t quit on a puck, great glove.
  • Soft Mitts, Heavy Hits: Standing just 6’0″, Laurikainen isn’t one of the physical giants that have taken over NHL creases in recent years. However, he’s an extremely athletic, even acrobatic player with excellent instincts that give him sound positioning. As a fairly small late bloomer, Laurikainen has remained undrafted, but has the potential to be a work-in-progress for an organization that has room for a developing goaltender.

He looks like a good goalie from here, but G’s are voodoo and the Oilers don’t have any track record at all when it comes to identifying good ones. And that’s for sure.

50-MAN LIST (with Eetu)

1. G Ben Scrivens (suspect he’ll return in a backup role)
  2. G Laurent Brossoit (AHL starter and plenty of opportunity to move up)
  3. G Eetu Laurikainen (new hire?)
  4. D Nikita Nikitin (New GM/Coach are going to circle that name and salary in red pen)
  5. D Mark Fayne (One of the few names the new coach can count on)
  6. D Andrew Ference (5-6-7D likely role for coming season. Does he remain captain?)
  7. D Oscar Klefbom (bright lights, big city. Golden decade, straight ahead)
  8. D Jordan Oesterle (I think they like him a lot, the speed is going to get him NHL looks)
  9. D Dillon Simpson (His progress in season two pro should be fun to watch)
  10. D Martin Gernat (One hopes he follows the conditioning program closely this summer)
  11. D David Musil (Chiarelli employed Adam McQuaid. Musil will be fine)
  12. D Darnell Nurse (Folks, I think he makes the opening night roster. Seriously)
  13. D Ben Betker (May need to spend some time in the ECHL if it gets crowded)
  14. D Joey Laleggia (Can learn plenty from Hunt and Oesterle in Bakersfield)
  15. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (He’s a wonderful player already, and has some development track left)
  16. C Anton Lander (newly signed and bona fide)
  17. C Boyd Gordon (veteran could be trade bait by deadline if things break right)
  18. C Leon Draisaitl (Up in the air a little, but he’s a quality talent Edmonton or Bakersfield)
  19. C Bogdan Yakimov (Shoulder aside, strong season)
  20. C Jujhar Khaira (Solid checker, offense may keep him from NHL career)
  21. C Travis Ewanyk (Not enough offense, we knew it draft day)
  22. C Kyle Platzer (newly signed) (Suspect he’ll play in Bakersfield next season)
  23. L Taylor Hall (healthy and ripping up Prague)
  24. L Benoit Pouliot (A rugged winger with skill)
  25. L Matt Hendricks (Had a wonderful year, can he do it again?)
  26. L Luke Gazdic (I’m not sure about his future on a Chiarelli team)
  27. L Ryan Hamilton (he’ll be the veteran hand in the  minors helping to guide the kids)
  28. L Mitch Moroz (I think Chiarelli might like him)
  29. L Kale Kessy (If he can play, Kessy may have a future)
  30. R Jordan Eberle (Fun watching him score at the WHC’s)
  31. R Nail Yakupov  (I have absolutely no idea how this will go)
  32. R Teddy Purcell (I think he’ll be back)
  33. R Rob Klinkhammer (Signed for next season, may have competition for his job)
  34. R Iiro Pakarinen (I think he is going to make the team and have an impact)
  35. R Greg Chase (He has NHL ability, just has to be consistent and play a complete game)

RFA’s

1. G Tyler Bunz (RFA) (I don’t think he gets a renewal, .890 in ECHL not good enough)
  2. G Frans Tuohimaa (RFA) (.876 in the ECHL is even worse than not good enough)
  3. D Justin Schultz (RFA) (Suspect he will return, but he’s a project at this point)
  4. D Martin Marincin (RFA) (One hopes Chiarelli saw him good)
  5. D Keith Aulie (RFA) (May get another two-way contract)
  6. D Brad Hunt (RFA) (May get another two-way contract)
  7. D Brandon Davidson (RFA) (prediction: signed to a two-way deal, generous AHL portion)
  8. C Kellen Lain (RFA) (A big body,long shot get a contract)
  9. L Matt Fraser (RFA) (prediction: signed to a two-way deal)
  10. L Curtis Hamilton (RFA) (Very uncertain future)
  11. R Tyler Pitlick (RFA) (prediction: signed to a reasonable one-way deal)
  12. R Andrew Miller (RFA) (prediction: signed to a two-way deal, generous AHL portion)

Players who may be signed:

1. C Derek Roy (UFA)
  2. R John McCarron (must be signed, he’s a college senior, or he’s a free agent)
  3. L Daniil Zharkov (no idea about his signing restrictions but team does own his rights)
  4. C Marco Roy (he’ll be in the Memorial Cup, so we may not know until late)
  5. L Anton Slepyshev (rumors afoot he will be signed)
  6. R Jackson Houck (signs or re-enters, doesn’t look good for him as an Oiler)

LOTTERY PICK

1. Connor McDavid. !!!!!

Laurikainen can push Laurent Brossoit, while also possibly getting starts in the ECHL or Edmonton, depending on how things roll. He’s a better goalie bet than Tyler Bunz or Frans Tuohimaa or Samu Perhonen at this time, so I consider this a good signing.

36-50

I think we can slot a few additions to the 35 above and be reasonably sure of being correct. There’s not a lot of wiggle room here, but I do expect we’ll see a buyout and my beloved three-for-one could come any day now (you shut it right now, mister! It’s going to happen!).

• No. 36—A starting goaltender, we’ll name Michal Neuvirth to make everyone on this blog happy.
  • No. 37—D Justin Schultz. I like Chiarelli but don’t think he’s so smart he’ll make a move here in year one.
  • No. 38—D Andrej Sekera. I bet they’d prefer a RH, but getting a quality player is the priority.
  • No. 39—A veteran D for a package that includes Marincin and the pick at No. 16 or No. 33.
  • No. 40—Brandon Davidson. I think the organization likes him plenty.
  • No. 41—Connor McDavid. Don’t breathe until they take him!
  • No. 42—L Anton Slepyshev. It’s time to red rover.
  • No. 43—L Matt Fraser. I’m thinking a two-way deal, maybe he balks.
  • No. 44—R Andrew Miller. He’s heading in a good direction.
  • No. 45—R Tyler Pitlick. Klinkhammer’s hold on 4R isn’t that strong.

ONE MORE NAME

Josh Winquist. I’d like to see the Oilers retain him, buddy has a sixth sense around the net and is smart with the puck and positioning. If the Oilers step away from a LW like Fraser and are looking for a developing talent, Winquist is my choice.

I think those two players will/should be with the organization next season. The Oilers have some kids on the farm showing well, I wish Peter Chiarelli was in Oklahoma City to view these games. It might not be sexy but it’s very important to know what’s bubbling under. Man I hope they keep Todd Nelson on staff in some way.

landers

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Jonathan Willis, Cult of Hockey and Oilers Nation. We’ll discuss Hall-Eberle and if they’re the best fit for McDavid.
  • Andrew Buchholtz, 55-yard line. It’s CFL draft day! Who gets the best rouge guy? Andrew knows!
  • Chris O’Leary, Edmonton Journal. Eskimos have been better lately at drafting, WHY won’t they take an O-lineman?
  • Tyler Karwandy, Rider Prophet. Best blog out there, I’ll ask him about the SK team at the draft and that strange trade yesterday.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

126 Responses to "SIGN YOUR NAME"

1. Doug McLachlan says:

Oilers get a Finn! Good.

Oilers get an undersized goaltender who needs to develop. Not so great.

Understand that Espoo is the Surrey of Finland and this all sort of makes sense.

2. jimmers2 says:

A new Finn!

3. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

Poise is good, but what does Stevie Y think of him?

4. PhrankLee says:

jimmers2: It is amazing that being 6′ tall in net is something that has to be excused these days.

But it bears out in goalie effectiveness.

Nobody is expecting this prospect to come in and take the 1G.

It’s filling the hopper because we are dry on G. Not a drop, save LB.

Organizationally we are skin and bones at this position.

Good signing.

5. Kris11 says:

Laurikainen’s best asset is his poise.

Nooooo!!!!!!

6. stush18 says:

Gotta agree with you on winquist. He reminds me of a younger ray whitney, or justin williams.

Smaller, not fleet of foot, but doesnt need to be.

I love cerebral hockey players.

7. zatch says:

I like those SP numbers a whole lot. I think that is curtains for Bunz and Tuohimaa. Leaves a good spot for this lad to develop in NA if need be, or he can stay in Finland for a bit more. Either works. I also suspect this means we don’t see a goalie called before the 4th round. Though I think one will be drafted.

8. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Kris11:
    Laurikainen’s best asset is his poise.

Nooooo!!!!!!

Mullen doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Clearly his best asset is his ability to win faceoffs in the playoffs.

9. hunter1909 says:

How far away might either of Moroz/Khiara be from arriving in camp – raring and able to go?

To the NHL, that is.

10. sumaclab says:

Finns make good goalies. I’ll roll the bones with a hope that he plays in Bakersfield this season.I am not a Fraser fan.At all.Zharkov is ECHL fodder. The guy goes to the KHL.Wastes his time there and realizes finally he was screwed.Anton Slepyshev.Please good lord make him as advertised.If he is then Benoit Pouliots time on LW with RNH will soon to come to an end.
    Who gets the buyout is the question> NN or Ference?

11. doritogrande says:

I’d like to see Roman Horak offered a chance to come back to North America and compete with Pitlick/Klinkhammer for that 4-line job. Seems like a more complete player than Fraser.

12. GCW_69 says:

hunter1909:

To the NHL, that is.

Traditional Oiler model or the Detroit model? Oiler model – they’re ready now, son. Detroit model – two to three years from now, if ever.

13. GCW_69 says:

doritogrande:

Maybe get Horak and flush Pitlick and Fraser. If Horak falters you can always pick up a replacement on the waiver wire.

14. rickithebear says:

85th A/60

Ference
    91st hardest comp
    11th Hardest ZS
    63rd A/60

15. Ben says:

Anyone heard news about plans for G coach next year?

16. D says:

LT – Before I put my glasses on, when I first glanced at the words “Eetu Laurikainen”, I thought you were writing about Teemu Hartikainen.

17. Hammers says:

You still keep looking for your 3 or 4 for 1 . The thing is at last I agree and we may now have a man who would take that chance. The only thing I would guess is if it’s Chara coming in Marincin will stay . The perfect man to take MM to the next level . I for 1 would like to see your 4 going out LT . I’m sure many of us have a guess . Hell maybe you should have a contest . We need a laugh about now . Well holiday over just in time for the final rounds of playoffs .

18. striatic says:

If Chiarelli likes his Finnish goalies that’s fine by me.

One advantage is not having to bring him over right away. The Finnish senior league is an excellent proving ground and another year there won’t hurt him.

19. striatic says:

a key test for Chiarelli is figuring out how to get vale from Bogdan Yakimov. With some C depth he is the sort of guy you need to find a role for or put on the market.

Do you hold him as an injury reserve? flip for a D prospect? i don’t know, but am keen on finding out.

20. Ducey says:

Eetu’s coach with Swift Current was Mark Lamb – an ex Oiler.

Hopefully they did a little more research than just running into Lamb at the Co – op.

At least his save % is pretty good.

Another former Swift Current Bronco coach? Todd McLellan.

21. Ducey says:

striatic:

Whats the rush?

He just played his 1st year in NA, and came on in the second half before he got hurt.

He has 2 years left on his ELC.

I’d see what he does this season, maybe with Slepyshev on his wing. He might develop into something pretty special.

22. russ99 says:

Finnish goalies are money. 😀

I still think we should run Bachman with Broissoit in Bakersfield, unless one of them can replace Scrivens as our backup next year (given we sign a true #1 goalie who can give us 65-70 games) and clear us some cap room.

BTW: where’s our ECHL affiliate going to be next year?

23. blainer says:

Have to say Davidson has looked good to me so far in the playoffs…He is gonna be knocking on the door at camp this year. It may make MM expendable.. we’ll see.. Love MM even after his gaffe last night.. Really happy to see PC starting so early with goaltending changes.. need to keep on it… Can’t wait to see what Chia has in him starting with the coaching and then on to the players…

24. dustrock says:

Nothing wrong with adding a decent goalie prospect, but Gord knows it would be nice to actually get a legit NHL player/goalie from their European mining.

25. Ducey says:

blainer:
    Have to say Davidson has looked good to me so far in the playoffs…He is gonna be knocking on the door at camp this year. It may make MM expendable.. we’ll see.. Love MM even after his gaffe last night.. Really happy to see PC starting so early with goaltending changes.. need to keep on it…Can’t wait to see what Chia has in him starting with the coaching and then on to the players…

There were rumours that the Oilers had signed Eetu before Chia took over. This one is on #2.

26. su_dhillon says:

If Goalies are voodoo, I think its reasonable to try to make as many small bets at lower levels as possible because honestly who knows. He has a cool name so that’s something, wish he was a little bigger though.

One thing we do know is that Poise Counts!

27. Ducey says:

blainer:

My question for those watching the Barons:

Should Davidson now slot ahead of Marincin on the depth chart based on their recent play? Its sure starting to sound like it.

28. blainer says:

Ducey: There were rumours that the Oilers had signed Eetu before Chia took over.This one is on #2.

Ahhhhh so maybe Chia really isn’t in charge..

29. PaperKurtRussell says:

I haven’t seen any suggestions regarding trading Scrivens. May be necessary if we trade for an established goalie (eg Crawford, Howard) to “net” out the salary.

LT, great photo today. Even though I was quite young at the time, I’m a big fan of all the Dallas beauties. R.I.P JR. If anyone’s interested, I have the first 8 seasons on dvd from Costco!

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1):
    Poise is good, but what does Stevie Y think of him?

This is the correct question.

Also,

Finns win.

PaperKurtRussell:
    I haven’t seen any suggestions regarding trading Scrivens.May be necessary if we trade for an established goalie (eg Crawford, Howard) to “net” out the salary.

LT, great photo today.Even though I was quite young at the time, I’m a big fan of all the Dallas beauties. R.I.P JR. If anyone’s interested, I have the first 8 seasons on dvd from Costco!

She always made me weak in the knees. Top drawer.

32. blainer says:

Ducey: My question for those watching the Barons:

Should Davidson now slot ahead of Marincin on the depth chart based on their recent play?Its sure starting to sound like it.

33. rickithebear says:

6’5″ standard proportion
    1. 16.76″
    2. 52.36″net 48″ height
    3. ????????????
    4. ???????????
    5. 40.96″

Hope he has wide shouldrs and longer arms with that athletic fast twitch body.

34. T0ML says:

edit: Never mind that … seems it was just not up when I checked yesterday …

Quick question LT … Any information why your podcast is no longer going up on Sound Cloud? (Here in FL its the easiest way to get to it in the car/phone, the site is not the best to listen to a podcast via a phone)

Love the show!

35. Kitchener says:

Yes wee Kainen.

36. Pouzar says:

Ducey: My question for those watching the Barons:

No. No. No.

37. dustrock says:

For those looking at Laurikainen’s stats and wondering if he struggled in the playoffs, someone on HFB who watched the team said he was actually the best player for the team in the playoffs, but the other team scored something like 8 PP goals in 4 games, so don’t be alarmed by the drop in save percentage for the playoffs.

38. FPB94 says:

I don’t know why Neuvirth exactly looks like them most appealing option out there.

He’s had 27 games of above average with 150 games of subpar. There are easily better options out there like Bishop (If TB chokes and they hand the reigns to their 1st pick),
    Tokarski (same level of play 2 years younger),
    Antti Raanta (was excellent in CHI, stuck behind Darling and Crawford ,936%)
    Jeff Zatkoff (Stuck in PIT minors)
    Calvin Pickard (,932 stuck behind Varlamov)
    Phillip Grubauer (Been pretty good, stuck in WSH minors)
    Reto Berra (,919 in 20 games with COL)
    Nikolas Svedberg (,919 in 19 games with BOS)

In this pack of goalies either they’re better, have the potential to be better or are cheaper.

39. Pouzar says:

blainer: To me they are very close.. Davidson has actually made Hunt not look nearly as bad. I actually think Davidson will give MM a challenge for his spot.. I think next year it finally starts getting competitive on the back end.. If they make the correct changes in the off season .. and even if they don’t.. Nurse Davidson MM Musil etc.. should be interesting what the next coach decides.. Let’s hope MacT is as far away as possible when deciding on the D.. I think Pouzar would be an excellent contributor to this question… what say you Pouzar?

but Martin Marincin has an 80 plus game history of being thrown into the deep end (aka ShutDown quadrant) and keeping his head above water. All the while being treated like the red headed step child of our former GM. The bang for buck that a MM can give you is gold and we should want to keep it around NOT trade it unless he’s part of a package for a legit stud. If we get the upgrades we need MM can be pushed down to 2nd/3rd pairing duty while guys like Ference and NN can be sent packing.

T0ML:
    edit: Never mind that … seems it was just not up when I checked yesterday …

Love the show!

It is up, Eric’s back from holidays. If you follow me on twitter I’ll be sending them out today between 11 and 1

41. supernova says:

From the Seen him good file;

I have seen him play live about 10 -12 times.

His first year the Swift Current team was interesting.
    Adam Lowry was very good, one 20 year old D ( at a miss for the name) and a bunch of ok players,
    And this smallish Goalie that seemed like he had been in the league for awhile.

Just kept battling and seemed to inspire confidence.

Second year
    The overall team was a bit better but the Finnish goalie was pretty darn good.

Again it seemed like he inspired confidence, in the playoff games I seen he just never seem to stop working.

———–

He honestly reminded me of how when Roloson joined the Oilers post deadline that the team seem to hit a stride because they trusted someone in goal.

Swift current has had a tough go in terms of timing of its players in my opinion but that is junior hockey.

I really thought the team in his second year would have been a very good team if they had the same team with Adam Lowry. Julius Honka was on the team the second year and he was very good for a first year junior player, very good to watch.

42. GCW_69 says:

Ducey:
    Marincin just getting raked:

The Edmonton media does love to run non-bruisers out of town. Marincin’s gaffe was a learning opportunity. He needs to show it was a mistake not a recurring problem. Coaches need to help him learn.

43. Tire Fire says:

X-NYC posted this link early this morning on the other thread, few details about Eetu:

My favorite line from the google translate version is: “183 cm long and 84 kilos at birth goalie Laurikainen is not from high to reach.” Wow. I feel sorry for his mom.

44. slopitch says:

Speaking of Yakimov. How hurt is he again? Does he have a chance of playing again this year?

45. sliderule says:

Ducey:
    Marincin just getting raked:

The new whipping boy to take Petry ‘s place.

Just looking at play it seems that Marincin unless he has Mcdavids moves was about to get stripped and turn it over.

Sauter is an idiot in Cherry mode.

46. supernova says:

GCW_69: The Edmonton media does love to run non-bruisers out of town.Marincin’s gaffe was a learning opportunity.He needs to show it was a mistake not a recurring problem.Coaches need to help him learn.

GCW_69,

The author of this article is very fair, in this post.

A few of the bloggers on CoH are very fair all the time. Likely some of the most even keeled bloggers in the whole hockey blogosphere

Marincin like every player isn’t perfect and sometimes his flaws show up glaringly.

47. Pouzar says:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Edmonton Oilers hope to have a new coach in place by the end of the month, am told.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Oilers prez/GM Peter Chiarelli also had a chat with Wings GM Ken Holland about Mike Babcock but at this point hasn’t requested permission

48. doritogrande says:

fpb94:

You’ve missed two of the more curious goaltending options in your cluster. Robin Lehner (if Hammond is re-signed) and Jacob Markstrom (monster size, draft pedigree) are at the top of my list if we’re going after another unproven option.

The problem with going unproven however, is you run the risk of a Scrivens/Fasth tandem.

49. Ducey says:

Pouzar: IMO, Davidson is the replacement for Ference as a bottom guy/7th D. I like BD a ton but

My question is simple: Is Davidson outplaying Marincin?

50. knighttown says:

The biggest news of this week and the second biggest piece of news this year after CMD is the word that the NHL is starting to be concerned about the lack of offense. The single biggest threat to the Oilers progress as a contender is an NHL that pummels its stars into submission. Even strength points by the stars (who have to fight through the trifecta of coaching strategy, tough competition and massive goalies) has gone the way of the do-do.

Joel Ward is helping his team win more than Alex Ovechkin. You can congratulate Ward and disparage Ovi if you wish but I suggest you’re missing the forest through the trees. Ward shouldn’t be performing better than Ovechkin (this Ovechkin) in any circumstance and if he is, the league needs to look at the root causes.

52 points. That’s the number of even strength points Sidney Crosby had this year. Nick Foligno had 46. Hartnell had 44. That gap isn’t nearly big enough. People like their stars to be ascendent; not to wade around in the muck with Scott Hartnell. It’s not so much that the scoring is down (it is) but rather, the scoring is way down for the stars of the league because an even strength goal has become so much a product of luck and less of a product of skill. A massive percentage of even strength goals are fluky bounces, tips, rebounds or “grit” related. Good players possess the puck more and so still score more but not by nearly as much as it should be.

Back to the Oilers. We have visions of McDavid and Hall scoring 100 and Nuge scoring 90 and Yak scoring 35 against the soft parade but this will NOT happen in today’s NHL. There are only so many PP points to go around and the difference between Yak and Matt Hendricks in today’s NHL is almost non-existant (1.23 pts/60 vs 1.11) and Hendricks actually played way tougher minutes to get that number. And this isn’t an Oilers only issue.

Jeff Skinner 1.33 vs Brad Malone 1.34
    Zetterberg 1.82 vs Abdelkader 1.72
    Marian Gaborik 1.79 vs Trevor Lewis 1.68
    Granlund and Koivu 1.75/1.71 vs. Fontaine/Zucker 2.23/2.19
    Weise 1.86 vs Galchenyuk 1.83
    Hagelin 1.8 vs Jimmy Hayes 2.5

Sure, Marian Gaborik probably plays easier competition than Trevor Lewis but he also gets worse linemates.

When coaches start doing the math and saying that Trevor Lewis is more likely to get me a goal than Marian Gaborik we’ve got an issue. The things that make Gabby a “star” in our eyes like speed, puck handling and a great shot are less important than they used to be. Now a good player should have speed, size and a willingness to go to the tough areas so a puck can hit them.

If the NHL Board of Governors could get together and say, we will continue to tweak until the NHL’s leading pts per 60 guys puts up 5 pts/60 (or whatever). Call the obstruction, enlarge the nets, reduce the roster size whatever.

The problem is, most teams know this data and have modified their rosters to full effect. Look at Minnesota… a bunch of fast no names causing chaos and putting up decent numbers. GMs have cut good offensive players these other types so if the decision is up to them, forget about it.

The NHL needs a commissioner who will push the game forward even if it’s unpopular with Ed Snider.

The Oilers offense could wash over the NHL if it is allowed to but I expect it won’t happen.

51. Pouzar says:

Ducey: Yeah, yeah, he was mistreated and all that. No body likes him. He is a regular Charlie Brown.No disrespect, but that meme is fairly pervasive here. However, like all of these characterizations, they tend to cast a fog over reality.My question is simple: Is Davidson outplaying Marincin?I would think that if Marincin is a shoe in for NHL employment, he should be kicking some major butt in the AHL, and be the #1 D for OKC. If he isn’t, it seems there is a concern – or maybe Davidson has taken a step forward?

1. No. I don’t think Davidson is outplaying Marincin. If he was, that’s great news for Davidson and Oiler fans. Either way BD has made some nice strides but it’s not the expense of Marincin regressing or not gaining the red line enough. Martin Marincin is better now and has a decent sample size to prove it.

2. The AHL NHL. I posted the quotes from Oscar Klefbom in this regard several times. He talked about the NHL being a better fit for his game and that’s actually easier to play in because the game is less dump and chase and more puck control. I think the NHL definitely fit MM better as well as he uses his positioning and IQ with good success. Expecting someone to “dominate” a lesser league because they were successful in a better league is not always a given because said leagues don’t always fit a players’ style/strengths.

52. rickithebear says:

Feelings
    Feelings
    Feelings
    His peers results:
    Metsola (25) 5-10” .936 SV% 56.4gm (28.0 sh/gm)

Laurkainen (21) 6’0” .933 SV% 36.68gm (29.3 sh/gm)

Rynas (25) 6’5” .939 SV% 39.7gm (23.1 sh/gm)

Karhunen (25) 5’10” .930 SV% 21.05gm (25.7SH/gm)

Raanta (23) 6’0” 185lb .943 SV% 43.25gm (30.8sh/gm)

Kilpelinen (25) 6’0” 185lb .933 SV% 53.7gm (28.7sh/gm)

Riksman (31) 6’1” 190lb .940 SV% 44.97gm (29.4sh/gm)

Rask (20) 6’3” 170lb .929 SV% 47.87gm (30.4sh/gm)

Backstrom (25) 6’1” 190lb .936 SV% 42.87gm (29.5sh/gm)

Ramo (19) 6’2” 203lb .929 SV% 22.67gm (28.3sh/gm)

T. Thomas (30) 5’11” 200lb .946 SV% 54.45gm (27.6sh/gm)

Voukun (28) 6’0” 194lb .940 SV% 19.13gm (28.4sh/gm)

Lehtonen (19) 6’4” 216lb .929 SV% 43.92gm (25.5sh/gm)

Lassila (20) 6’0” 181lb .928 SV% 17.98gm (22.2sh/gm)

Nittiymaki (21) 6’1” 209lb .937 SV% 24.97gm (27.5sh/gm)

Nurminen (25) 5’10” 216lb .935 SV% 49.53gm (31.0sh/gm)

His numbers were better at 21 than Rolosson at 30!

Ducey: My question for those watching the Barons:

Marincin has much higher upside to Davidson, and his skills are better suited to the NHL than the AHL. The AHL is a less structured more chaotic less skilled game which means the reliable defensive D (Davidson) tends to look better than the D who has the better skills (puck movement, and zone entry denial, Marincin).

Davidson, like Musil, is a 3rd pairing shutdown D, PK specialist at best. Marincin has the skills to be a top 4 D.

When the game is more structured and played with more skill at the NHL level, Marincin is far more likely to succeed than Davidson. He has show this already.

54. VOR says:

Ducey,

Marincin and Davidson are different players. Marincin has elite level skills at some aspects of the game but is mediocre to poor in other ways. For example, he has amazing gap control and stick work in n his own end. This makes him great at breaking up the rush and preventing zone entries. Unfortunately, from centre ice into the offensive zone he turns into Ladi Smid. Davidson is very well rounded and is the more complete defenceman now but has no obvious elite upside. You are comparing apples and oranges. Many high end NHL defencemen were never #1 D in their AHL careers.

doritogrande:
    fpb94:

Lehner has been out a long long time with a concussion. That is a risky bet. McDavid has three entry level years only. Don’t blow one of your three wishes.

56. Pouzar says:

From my limited AHL viewings of Oscar I felt he looked better in the NHL versus the AHL.

57. Pouzar says:

VOR,

If I could only think of a recent Oiler defenseman who dominated the AHL….. 🙂

Davidson is playing with a 3-year AHL vet in Hunt, a player he has played the most with/regularly for two seasons.

Marincin is playing with an AHL rookie in Osterle, a player who he has hardly played any time with this season until a couple of weeks ago.

59. Diesel says:

Pouzar: I think the NHL definitely fit MM better as well as he uses his positioning and IQ with good success. Expecting someone to “dominate” a lesser league because they were successful in a better league is not always a given because said leagues don’t always fit a players’ style/strengths.

This has merit.

Part of what makes me a “good” hockey player is I think the game at an elite level.

I have more success when I play in division 1 vs. fellow ex-junior guys than I do when I go play as a ringer in a lower division.

For example, when I rush up the ice in a 1vs1 situation with the puck and use a speed change or fake, it actually works to deceive the “better” defender more often than one of lesser caliber because he reads and processes the game (and me) faster. He actually notices what I do, processes it quickly, and tries to anticipate accordingly.

The “worse” defender will actually miss my attempts to fool him (ignorance is bliss) and therefore is harder to be fooled. If I don’t disengage part of my brain and just default to beating them with better speed or puck skills, I’m actually less effective against “dumber” players.

This is an example of how hockey IQ affects an offensive player, but the principles can be translated to the other side of the puck for Marincin. Defending is a mental chess match. Sometimes over/out-thinking your opponent can work against you.

There is more nuance to the game than comes across to the average person who hasn’t played it at a high level.

60. VOR says:

Godot and Pouzar beat me to it.

VOR:
    Godot and Pouzar beat me to it.

This doesn’t mean that we don’t like Davidson a lot. The Oilers may have two deep value 3rd pairing shutdown D and PK’ers in Davidson and Musil.

Veteran 3rd pairing UFA D are getting $3-$4 million dollars now. if one has defensive D under 27 that one can pay under $2 million, they are valuable assets.

The people criticizing Marincin for not taking the hit seem to be missing the point that he was the guy who achieved the more difficult task, actually getting the puck out of the D-zone.

The not-taking-the-hit part is easily fixable if the player is willing. The ability to actually be good at getting the puck out of your own zone is not.

63. Rational Zealot says:

knighttown,

Absolutely fantastic post.

64. zatch says:

rickithebear,

What was the average SP in each of those years? What years were those seasons? All of those sample sizes range from ludicrous to poor. I dislike your comparisons ricki. You go on about feelings, then provide single season comparisons with little or no context and dust off your hands and call it a day. Nagelvoort being my favorite. His numbers dropped off precipitously this season, but as long as once upon a time he had a similar SP to Schneider at one point in the past he MUST be a good prospect. Some of the guys on CnB used to be really good about 2-3 year comparables, and those impressed me a bit.

I generally don’t like comparisons of this nature though. There are a lot of variables over individual circumstance and time that make even the best ones pretty meh.

Jeff Petry was the best defensemen the Oilers had. Therefore his mistakes were the more visible.

Ditto for Marincin in OKC.

Petry’s mistakes don’t look so bad now that he is playing for a good hockey team. He looks a lot closer to Shattenkirk as a Hab.

66. jake70 says:

knighttown:

Good post. Bob McCown on PTS is hammering this home all the time, alhthough not as specific as you in terms of “stars” vs. non-stars, just the fact offense is down generally.

What about 4 on 4 skaters? (yeah I know when pigs fly will the players assoc go for this). (side note — can’t wait to see the 3 on 3 OTs with these Oilers in the next couple of years).

Two things:

1) Best nickname for the Finn that I’ve read so far is EetuD2

2) David Staples wanted to trade one of Hall or Eberle for Oleksiak after watching Oleksiak play a few AHL games. Take his evaluation of Dmen with that in mind.

68. zatch says:

jake70,

No way, bring back 6 on 6!

#FreeTheRovers

69. jake70 says:

godot10:

The not-taking-the-hit part is easily fixable if the player is willing.The ability to actually be good at getting the puck out of your own zone is not.

Didn’t see the play but I just had visions of POS (O’Sullivan) few years back on HNIC when he dodged a hit in neutral zone, Milbury, then at CBC took him to task. Probably saw his career flash before his eyes but brutal bail out. Also, so MM dodges the hit, fine but can’t these players find their draw weight with these pucks? A soft chip to get it into the O-zone but not to cross the goal line?

70. Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker) says:

Woodguy,

Of course they did. The word win actually came about after a miscommunication on how to spell Finn.

71. Klima's_Bucket says:

Woodguy: 1) Best nickname for the Finn that I’ve read so far is EetuD2

I’m partial to Brutus or Brute myself.

Eetu Brute?

72. Pouzar says:

Diesel,

I think this speaks to what you are talking about as well.

Klefbom Built for the NHL?

the AHL has good players but they’re mostly younger, less-experienced and underdeveloped and the puck may not be where it’s supposed to be at the exact right time.

“Down there, it’s just like dump and chase and play a straight game,” Klefbom said. “Here, you can do something good with the puck as well and it helps me a lot.”

In the NHL, the players are such high hockey IQs and are so talented that they are in the right places at the right times and it makes it easier to read and make plays. Think of it as a board game, like chess, and all of the pieces are in the right places. You just have to make the right move.

“Yeah actually,” Klefbom said. “It sounds pretty weird but I think it’s way easier to play in the NHL actually. Like you said, my game suits the NHL better I think than in the American Hockey League somehow. The players are so smart here and they’re at the right place so I just have to make the play.”

Eakins, a former AHL coach, has seen that type of transition before where a player is maybe a little better suited to play in the higher league with better players.

“Well, I’ve seen it happen times before where maybe you have a player in the (AHL) where maybe their point totals, they’re not ripping it up in that league and sometimes it’s certainly a case where you look at it and if you can come to the realization that maybe this guy needs better players to play with,” Eakins said. “I’ve seen it before, I’m not sure if that is the case with Oscar but he’s certainly played very well here.”

73. Pouzar says:

zatch: jake70, No way, bring back 6 on 6!#FreeTheRovers

Floating Blue Line and no skates allowed!

74. zatch says:

Pouzar,

There’s how you fix the goals problem, ban going down on your knees like the (extremely) old days.

75. Michelangelo-McDavid says:

zatch,

That might work in the NHL but it’s kept scoring at home down.

76. Washingtron says:

Apologies, off topic. Hey LT, I only recently figured out how to listen to your radio show and i now declare that you voice “The Champ” in the commercials. Is this old news? Am I late to the party?

77. blainer says:

Exactly how I feel.. Ference and NN should be gone though IMO..

78. Dashingsilverfox says:

Justin Bourne (former ECHL and AHL player) has an interesting column about how a player like Jonathan Drouin is having trouble getting into the lineup despite having tremendous offensive skills.

79. GCW_69 says:

knighttown:
    The biggest news of this week and the second biggest piece of news this year after CMD is the word that the NHL is starting to be concerned about the lack of offense.The single biggest threat to the Oilers progress as a contender is an NHL that pummels its stars into submission.Even strength points by the stars (who have to fight through the trifecta of coaching strategy, tough competition and massive goalies) has gone the way of the do-do.

Joel Ward is helping his team win more than Alex Ovechkin.You can congratulate Ward and disparage Ovi if you wish but I suggest you’re missing the forest through the trees.Ward shouldn’t be performing better than Ovechkin (this Ovechkin) in any circumstance and if he is, the league needs to look at the root causes.

52 points.That’s the number of even strength points Sidney Crosby had this year.Nick Foligno had 46.Hartnell had 44.That gap isn’t nearly big enough.People like their stars to be ascendent; not to wade around in the muck with Scott Hartnell.It’s not so much that the scoring is down (it is) but rather, the scoring is way down for the stars of the league because an even strength goal has become so much a product of luck and less of a product of skill.A massive percentage of even strength goals are fluky bounces, tips, rebounds or “grit” related.Good players possess the puck more and so still score more but not by nearly as much as it should be.

Back to the Oilers.We have visions of McDavid and Hall scoring 100 and Nuge scoring 90 and Yak scoring 35 against the soft parade but this will NOT happen in today’s NHL.There are only so many PP points to go around and the difference between Yak and Matt Hendricks in today’s NHL is almost non-existant (1.23 pts/60 vs 1.11) and Hendricks actually played way tougher minutes to get that number.And this isn’t an Oilers only issue.

Jeff Skinner 1.33 vs Brad Malone 1.34
    Zetterberg 1.82 vs Abdelkader 1.72
    Marian Gaborik 1.79 vs Trevor Lewis 1.68
    Granlund and Koivu 1.75/1.71 vs. Fontaine/Zucker 2.23/2.19
    Weise 1.86 vs Galchenyuk 1.83
    Hagelin 1.8 vs Jimmy Hayes 2.5

When coaches start doing the math and saying that Trevor Lewis is more likely to get me a goal than Marian Gaborik we’ve got an issue.The things that make Gabby a “star” in our eyes like speed, puck handling and a great shot are less important than they used to be.Now a good player should have speed, size and a willingness to go to the tough areas so a puck can hit them.

If the NHL Board of Governors could get together and say, we will continue to tweak until the NHL’s leading pts per 60 guys puts up 5 pts/60 (or whatever).Call the obstruction, enlarge the nets, reduce the roster size whatever.

The problem is, most teams know this data and have modified their rosters to full effect.Look at Minnesota… a bunch of fast no names causing chaos and putting up decent numbers.GMs have cut good offensive players these other types so if the decision is up to them, forget about it.

This is where bigger nets come in. If you leave shooters some room to shoot, they will take advantage, where the less skilled players will not. But there is no room to shoot anymore. Bigger nets are way overdue.

80. Ducey says:

Dashingsilverfox:

Think FLA regrets taking him over Seth Jones, yet?

81. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

Increasing offense is easy to do:

-limit goalie equipment more
    -call the rules
    -drug test

The last should be done for the health of the players at the very least. If you don’t put limits on competition it will always go the farthest extreme possible. The only reason hockey isn’t rollerball is jail. And at times it has been rollerball.

82. Bootstrap Effexor says:

Bruce:

s/That’s as maybe/That’s as may be/

Unless that’s what you actually meant.

This is one of those cases where not even the annoying machine can save you from the annoying reader.

Washingtron:
    Apologies, off topic.Hey LT, I only recently figured out how to listen to your radio show and i now declare that you voice “The Champ” in the commercials.Is this old news?Am I late to the party?

84. Dashingsilverfox says:

Ducey: Think FLA regrets taking him over Seth Jones, yet?

He was actually drafted by Tampa Bay.

Florida picked Alexsander Barkov one spot earlier.

85. theres oil in virginia says:

Washingtron:

I thought that too. Maybe it’s his alter ego moonlighting without his knowledge.

86. leadfarmer says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Another example of why you don’t draft wingers with your lottery pick unless they are clearly the best players in their draft (such as Kane, Ovechkin).

Drouin, Yakupov, Niederreiter, Connolly, Glennie, Paajarvi, Filatov, Bodker, Pouliot, Skille, Picard, Zherdev, Kostitsyn, all re wingers chosen in the top 10 since 2003 that got very little value for the team that drafted them during their entry level contract, and most of them had little value throughout their careers.

In fact since 2003 if you were drafting wingers in the top 10 you are just as likely to get a dud as a useful player

87. rickithebear says:

zatch: What was the average SP in each of those years? What years were those seasons? All of those sample sizes range from ludicrous to poor. I dislike your comparisons ricki. You go on about feelings, then provide single season comparisons with little or no context and dust off your hands and call it a day. Nagelvoort being my favorite

I present so you will look yourself get your own trend. \present ideas counter that make us go heY!
    nice one!
    See what shows!
    Iam not your mom!
    No spoon feeding.

but i will give you an example!

Nagel Voort;
    13-14 .929 @19 in NCAA

drafted by oilers:
    video coached by oilers.

14-15 till chabot firing.
    8gm .885 Save%

Post chabot firing
    .920 Save%
    though his last 3 games;
    .795
    .889
    .895
    he was .938 post chabot before the last 3.

be intrested in the reason for end of season performance!

88. delooper says:

leadfarmer:

If I’m not mistaken, many of those players have only recently begun their careers. Can you see into the future?

89. OF17 says:

leadfarmer:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Top 10 center (as listed on nhl.com draft results) picks 2003-2009, so we have an idea of where they ended up:

Eric Staal, Nathan Horton, Rostislav Olesz, Sidney Crosby, Gilbert Brule, Jordan Staal, Nicklas Backstrom, Phil Kessel, Derick Brassard, Peter Mueller, James Sheppard, Kyle Turris, Zach Hamill, Logan Couture, Steven Stamkos, Colin Wilson, Josh Bailey, Cody Hodgson, John Tavares, Matt Duchene, Evander Kane, Brayden Schenn, Nazem Kadri

If you include guys like Boedker and Pouliot on the list of fails, you have to include guys like Wilson, Schenn, and Bailey on it as well. Brassard would’ve been on it before this year as well. Seems to be that the draft is no guarantee, even towards the top, and that it takes time to see where players end up. It does not seem that drafting a specific position is a bad idea.

I also don’t like including guys like Yakupov, Drouin, and Niederreiter on the fails list. We all know about Yak’s progression this year. Drouin just had a solid rookie year after back-to-back 2+ ppg junior seasons, and Niederreiter scored 24 NHL goals this year. Lots of hockey to be played before we know what they become.

90. rickithebear says:

As for the list
    Goalies younger than 31.
    looked for there best season.
    hoping you look at the grouping of age
    pre core 18-20
    core dev 21-23
    adult mass 24-26
    plateau 27-31

Sht/gm rate for the season.

resulting Save%

What do YOU SEE?

91. TheGreatMutato says:

OF17,

No kidding. Drouin was drafted in 2013. 2013! So by this metric, we can look at a guy like Forsberg, ignore everything after 2013-2014, and call him a bust for only playing a handful of NHL games! I like this. I can certainly use this to craft a narrative of my choosing.

92. OF17 says:

TheGreatMutato:
    OF17,

No kidding.Drouin was drafted in 2013.2013!So by this metric, we can look at a guy like Forsberg, ignore everything after 2013-2014, and call him a bust for only playing a handful of NHL games!I like this.I can certainly use this to craft a narrative of my choosing.

Yeah, it’s pretty crazy, especially considering how late some of these players come on. Brassard is a perfect example of it. Before this year, he was Sam Gagner 2.0, and then he goes and scores 60 points. Lots of time for those guys to put it together. I didn’t include Connolly on my original list, but he deserves to be in the “still promising” tier.

93. Ducey says:

Dashingsilverfox: He was actually drafted by Tampa Bay.

Florida picked Alexsander Barkov one spot earlier.

Thanks. Those Floridian teams all look the same to me.

I would be regretting the choice if I were Tampa Bay. Jones looks like a stud.

94. Ducey says:

theres oil in virginia: I thought that too.Maybe it’s his alter ego moonlighting without his knowledge.

Maybe that should be the name of the guy that asks LT the questions in the Re: series. If you read all the questions in the voice of the Champ, it is actually pretty funny.

95. misfit says:

E2 may be a great goalie for us one day, or he may bust completely. If he has done nothing beyond saving us from selecting a goalie in the first 2 rounds, it’s a great signing. Also, we were dangerously low on Finns in the system as LT pointed out in the OP. We still don’t have any on the NHL roster, which is why I’m leaning towards Niemi as our goalie target in the offseason.

96. Dashingsilverfox says:

Ducey: Thanks.Those Floridian teams all look the same to me.

I would be regretting the choice if I were Tampa Bay.Jones looks like a stud.

Can’t disagree with that.

Hedman and Jones would be a formidable back end going forward.

97. cabbiesmacker says:

GCW_69: Traditional Oiler model or the Detroit model?Oiler model – they’re ready now, son.Detroit model – two to three years from now, if ever.

Under Babcock – ballpark 12 mins per game and a minor player. In Calgary – Super Nova.

Babcock had his faves and what Mikey wants Mikey gets, even when he’s wrong.

98. oliveoilers says:

Check this out…..

Hall is worth a 1st, a 3rd and a goalie PROSPECT.

(Seeing as we already have their first, let’s just call it Fleury, Letang and Maata.)

99. oliveoilers says:

cabbiesmacker: The Detroit model isn’t always bullet proof and some of that is Babcock. Spoke to someone close to the Wings last night and they were not happy about Mr Hudler’s trade and subsequent meteoric rise.

Babcock had his faves and what Mikey wants Mikey gets, even when he’s wrong.

We could do with some Babcock ‘wrong’. Way better than Eakins’ wrong.

100. knighttown says:

GCW_69: This is where bigger nets come in.If you leave shooters some room to shoot, they will take advantage, where the less skilled players will not.But there is no room to shoot anymore.Bigger nets are way overdue.

Agree wholeheartedly. Bigger nets are actually the minimum I’d do. As Jake suggests full time 4-on-4 would be ideal. It’s just…better.

But it ain’t going to happen.

101. pts2pndr says:

The reality of drafting seems to be that given how young these players are it is always going to be somewhat of a crap shoot. Late growth spurts , injuries. Etc also play a significant role. What is becoming increasingly apparent is the development of said player after being drafted. Considering the age disparity in comparison to MLB NFL and NBA, development becomes crucial. Draft bpa and expect 3-4 years for prospect to develope. Sometimes you might get lucky and get a plug and play!

Klima’s_Bucket: I’m partial to Brutus or Brute myself.

Eetu Brute?

Too obvious.

Babcock had his faves and what Mikey wants Mikey gets, even when he’s wrong.

Babcock was also the loudest voice to sign Weiss long term.

We all have our warts.

Big miss moving out Hudler for Weiss though.

Ouch.

104. bendelson says:

Lowetide: Ha! I’ve heard that a time or two, but no, “The Champ” is an out of market voice.

Hopefully E2 can really push LB in Bakersfield. Internal competition for the net will help them both.

105. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Woodguy: Babcock was also the loudest voice to sign Weiss long term.

We all have our warts.

Big miss moving out Hudler for Weiss though.

Ouch.

Wasn’t it Val Filpula for Weiss?

106. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

bendelson: Out of market and well past his ‘best before date’ if you ask me (yes, I realise nobody asked me).

Hopefully E2 can really push LB in Bakersfield.Internal competition for the net will help them both.

I hate those commercials. Why is raging homophobia supposed to make me thirsty?

107. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

oliveoilers:

I’m sorry I clicked that lin!

Ducey: Think FLA regrets taking him over Seth Jones, yet?

Way, way too early to make that call.

He just turned 20 in March and doesn’t have his “man strength” yet.

His talent is fantastic and he’ll be a player for many years, even if he’s too small to help today.

Similarly Jones is still a young developing player and he had a pretty meh year.

He struggled with 3rd pairing minutes enough that Poile paid his first to add Franson (another RHD) at the deadline.

Franson didn’t play well either and when Weber went down in the CHI series Jones took his spot instead of Franson, but the results still weren’t great.

This reminds me of many saying NAS missed when they took Ellis 11th in 2009 3 and even 4 years after his draft.

All his is now is probably a top 15 RHD in the NHL on a serious value contract.

These guys are still kids.

Making a call either way on them now is just wrong.

You should know this by now.

109. cabbiesmacker says:

Ca$h-McMoney!: Wasn’t it Val Filpula for Weiss?

I thought both were FA’s but I could def be incorrect and am too lazy to look.

Ca$h-McMoney!: Wasn’t it Val Filpula for Weiss?

Both Fipula and Hudler moved out of DET the same year.

111. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy: Babcock was also the loudest voice to sign Weiss long term.

We all have our warts.

Big miss moving out Hudler for Weiss though.

Ouch.

Massive, but Mikey likes his vets. This contact told me McLellan would probably be a better fit with the kids.

112. cabbiesmacker says:

oliveoilers: We could do with some Babcock ‘wrong’.Way better than Eakins’ wrong.

113. TheGreatMutato says:

The Babcock-vets thing is the main reason you never bring up Daniel “The Franchise” Cleary to a Wings fan.

114. bendelson says:

cabbiesmacker: I agree 100% but I suspect McLellan or Nelson are better fits for the Oilers. I’m hugely biased however.

Hmm… Let me guess, is it Todd Cabbiesmaker?

115. Ducey says:

Woodguy:

Making a call either way on them now is just wrong.

You should know this by now.

Never lose the opportunity to take a personal shot, eh?

116. bendelson says:

Ducey: Never lose the opportunity to take a personal shot, eh?

You should know this by now.

Woodguy: Babcock was also the loudest voice to sign Weiss long term.

We all have our warts.

Big miss moving out Hudler for Weiss though.

Ouch.

Lest we forget, the Oilogosphere advanced stats guys were always arguing for Stephen Weiss also. They are silent on Weiss these days.

Ducey: Never lose the opportunity to take a personal shot, eh?

I went out of my way to be impartial.

I will be worse now.

godot10: Lest we forget, the Oilogosphere advanced stats guys were always arguing for Stephen Weiss also.They are silent on Weiss these days.

Vaguely remember that.

We all have our warts.

120. Alpine says:

godot10,

Probably because he was a quite a player in his prime before falling off a cliff.

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”: My favourite part might be where they say Yak would be a low cost option to acquire vs the high cost of Hall, right after they’ve traded for him and his apparently “big” 6million AAV problem contract with a middle 1st (that they don’t have), a 3rd and Tristan Jarry.

I’m sorry I clicked that lin!

Yeah, that’s HF Boards stuff.

Also standard at “The Hockey Writers”

122. Klima's_Bucket says:

Hudler signed with the Flames as a UFA in 2012.
    Filppulla signed with the Bolts as a UFA in 2013.

123. leadfarmer says:

delooper,

If by a lot you mean the first 3 then yes. Otherwise the rest have been around for 5 years

124. ehuisman says:

Fun fact: on their draft year, Laurikainen was the backup of one Samu Perhonen.

It is rare for a goalie his size to succeed in the NHL, but he should be an ok AHLer, at least. He started this year purely as a backup in Espoo, but due to some sub-par performances by the starter Jani Nieminen, got more chances to prove himself and did.

He had the third highest regular season save percentage of all goalies in Liiga and was in the top three in the voting for the rookie of the year. Also, unlike the Oilers official Twitter account said, he didn’t really play for Finland in the 2013 WJC, he was the third G and didn’t even dress for any games.