HEY YA!

All signs point to good times in Oilers nation. First the lottery win, then Chiarelli on a chariot and now Todd McLellan is apparently close to being named coach (as soon as these damn endless WHC’s end. Good LORD it’s a long tournament). Brady & Walker radio show had Elliotte Friedman as guest and it was Friedman who revealed more of the story he broke on the weekend:

• Friedman: “If Todd McLellan is the coach, and I think he will be, you don’t want to make the announcement while he’s coaching in Prague. You want to do it when he’s back in Edmonton. Look, there are people who are a lot more knowledgeable than I am who think that the deal is going to get done. So that’s kind of what I base it on. I think it’s going to get done barring a major collapse.” Source

Now. You’re going to hear a lot about McLellan not getting it done in San Jose, but I’m hear to tell you that team was strong strong strong every year McLellan had the helm until this one (and it was a good year through January in 2014-15). Todd McLellan is bona fide. This is a good day. We can discuss a lot of things, but I don’t for one minute believe Peter Chiarelli OR Todd McLellan are Oilers without the lottery win and that’s for sure.

MCLELLAN READING

This is a quality NHL coach. Todd McLellan lost his job because of that LAK series, but only after his GM absolutely lost his mind and performed a  lobotomy on his own team. That’s all gone now, and apparently the Edmonton Oilers have fallen ass over tea kettle into luck again this spring. McLellan’s family is in San Jose long term and Edmonton isn’t that far away.

The talent is here, it has been for some time and Connor McDavid just adds to the talent mountain. The Oilers needed an experienced, creative and talented GM and a veteran coach who can innovate, run a power play and kick some ass in the hell that is the Western Conference.

HEY YA!

162 Responses to "HEY YA!"

1. Ducey says:

From one of those Fear the Fin articles from last March:

Since joining the Sharks, head coach Todd McLellan’s record has been nothing short of incredible. He’s 262-125-54 all-time, good for a 65.5% points percentage which averages to 107 points over an 82 game season. Only Dan Bylsma and Bruce Boudreau have a better points percentage amongst coaches who have been in the league for more than 3 years. McLellan compiled more wins in his first 4 seasons than any coach in NHL history. He also currently holds the Sharks franchise record for most wins by a head coach.

Sounds alright.

2. Bad Seed says:

I’d say this is nothing but great news. Putting Babcock aside, who else would you pick over him?

3. Moose says:

Going into the off-season my thoughts on the coaching search closely mirror my thoughts on fixing the goaltending: No more, “good bets” or taking flyers on guys with upside. Get the real thing. Proven guys. One box ticked. Good news.

4. RexLibris says:

Based on your premise in the previous thread, LT, about not talking to Babcock because the Oilers were informed he didn’t have interest, I began to wonder if his family plays a part in that.

Babcock said he’d take the time to speak to teams and then run things by his wife and family. If Chiarelli spoke to Holland and got a vibe from him, or from Babcock himself, that Edmonton wasn’t on the radar then I think we could probably say that the family had some influence there.

I’m not trying to disparage anyone or insinuate that Babcock’s wife took a page out of Nylander’s book, but rather that family takes precedence and Babcock might make a choice based on their needs and priorities as much as his own.

We should also consider whether there was an expectation by Babcock, based on some of the news leaked early, of more input than Chiarelli felt comfortable giving to his new head coach.

And finally, god speed Todd Nelson. I’d love to keep you here but if you do leave I wish you the best of luck.

5. russ99 says:

Great news. I was worried about typical Oiler giant hunting then getting burned when Babcock goes elsewhere.

Looking forward to see if Nelson’s still onboard, but all the assistants should be McL’s call. (McL! LOL)

6. pts2pndr says:

Let’s welcome Todd with open arms and hope those above him give him the people he needs to have the team succeed! This is a win in the magnitude of McDavid! A coach that believes in offence with a team capable of delivering same! This team will be worth watching win loose or draw!! A new standard of excellence! Whoooooo!, NHL Centre Ice claims another customer in Penticton!

7. LadiesloveSmid says:

Bad Seed:
    I’d say this is nothing but great news.Putting Babcock aside, who else would you pick over him?

I hope they keep Nelson on as well. Lander/Klefbom/Yak whisperer. Some saw positive signs from Schultz too

Barons Gameday @BaronsGameDay · 20s 20 seconds ago

#OKCBarons lines (LW-C-RW): R. Hamilton-Williams-Chase; Winquist-Platzer-Miller; K. Jones-C. Jones-Ford; C. Hamilton-Khaira-Winchester

Barons Gameday @BaronsGameDay · 4s 4 seconds ago

Defensive pairings: Davidson-Hunt; Simpson-Nurse; Marincin-Oesterle #OKCBarons

9. blainer says:

RexLibris:

10. Captain Smarmy says:

blainer: The very minute Babcock said his wife was making the call Edmonton was out.. Hockey is winter sport and Babs and his wife I’m assuming are Boomers.. As a lot of us on this blog are boomers ourselves.. I would argue that just about all of our wives would say NO to Edmonton and yes to the San Jose gig.. Hell even I would and I love the oil.. scratch that I might not with CMD in the upcoming lineup.. there’s always the divorce option…

11. Bag of Pucks says:

Glencross healthy scratch tonight.

Done like dinner or possibly some good functional toughness to add to the Bottom 6 on a value contract next season?

12. Bad Seed says:

LadiesloveSmid,

I can understand why people want Nelson to stay on but I sure hope that mgmt isn’t insisting on it. Let the new hc choose his assistants. There’s been too much of that – remember Bucky and Smith everyone?

13. John Chambers says:

Posted in the last thread re – well, you know:

My answer to the man is this:

As our resident cynic he won’t derive the same level of satisfaction from the team’s future success – he turned his back on the team and fellow fans, and won’t be part of the high-five circle when the playoff wins start to happen with regularity.

You can stand on the opposite shore and laugh when it’s raining on our side – but you can’t pretend you didn’t when the sun breaks through and we’re laughing around the barbecue.

Because as I’ve come to understand it – you develop a past

14. blainer says:

Captain Smarmy: Eh. Babcock wants to be the best and taking a Canadian franchise to a title with Connor Mcdavid at the helm solidifies his legacy and is exactly the sort of thing he stated he wants. The coaching somewhere its warm doesn’t really hold water and I’m sure his wife is fine with him doing whatever would make him happiest. That’s what great spouses do. So I don’t think this wife is nixing anything for him. I think its really his decision and his family will support whatever he wants to do.

You are most likely correct as that IS what most spouses do.. I don’t know his wife though so I shouldn’t assume. So maybe I’ll will put it this way.. Babs says he is really torn between the oil and the sharks and of course asks Mrs babs opinion.. I know my wife would say I support you whatever you decide but I will say this San Jose has nicer weather.. but Im with ya all the way..

15. Yak2 says:

Playoffs next year, FOR SURE!

russ99:

I hope Nelson get an NHL head coaching gig. The guy deserves it.

17. John Chambers says:

Bad Seed:

Some will piss and moan about lack of due diligence or some nonsense but I think we’re now blessed with a management team where we don’t have to question every micro- transaction or take a glass half empty viewpoint on key decisions.

18. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

It’s weird things progressing as they should. Many have said opinions of Edmonton would change quickly once winning started as it does everywhere, for the Oilers who do things in a unique way a lottery win jump started it.

All that is left for Pechi is a few roster changes and – wait for it – BAM Stanley Cup!

19. Southern Oil says:

John Chambers: The options are definitely limited with perhaps only Hitchcock and Julien offering a similar credential. Seeing as how neither of those guys are avsilable, McClellan is a coup.

Honestly I think they interviewed more candidates this time around than any other time in recent memory – maybe even history! We can assume they spoke to Babcock, McL, DeBoer & Nelson. That’s an exhaustive search compared to ol’6 rings!

McLellen’s PP’s have been the best in the NHL in terms of shots/60 and goals/60 for years.

I think he actually has more talent to work with in EDM than SJS.

Lordy.

21. Genjutsu says:

This is awesome! The hits just keep on coming.

Let the good times roll. Full speed ahead out of the desert.

Let’s all take the time to enjoy it.

Gord knows we paid for this in spades.

22. Genjutsu says:

Also we got Connor McDavid!

WHOOOOOOOOT!

23. Kris11 says:

McDavid. McLellan, McFeelingBetter.

24. Kris11 says:

If I were a GM, I’d be worried that Babcock has such a reputation, the GM would take the blame and not the coach. Not saying Chiarelli thinks that way, but I wouldn’t blame him too much if he did.

25. Kris11 says:

I want to see what happens with D and G before I make a “good bet to make playoffs” claim. McDavid is a huge piece -biggest possible piece available, really- but the Oilers holes are real and they are spectacular. Or whatever.

26. Rondo says:

KHAIRA scores

Nurse with an assist

27. thejonrmcleod says:

A suggestion for the tweaked site: the ability to embed tweets, pictures, and GIFs.

28. Ryan says:

Woodguy:

I think he actually has more talent to work with in EDM than SJS.

Lordy.

My personal love for Mclellan stems from reading Dellow’s now invisible blog.

Dellow used to marvel with awe at the shots per hour the Sharks generated under the Mclellan PP… That and his corgi stealing set plays after face off losses.

When the Oilers announce they’ve hired Mclellan… I’ll be overjoyed… In fact, I might even have a beer… And another…

Todd Nelson’s PP had a McLellaneque shot rate. He got the Oilers to shoot at rates that neither Eakins, Krueger, nor Renney could.

30. Captain Smarmy says:

Mclellan does seem like the best fit for the team and he should bring a more exciting brand of winning hockey then Babs.

McDavid with 2A and it’s a 2-2 tie after 1.

32. Braden88 says:

Nurse. using his great instincts and speed to blow past the defender and make a beauty pass to khaira on that play.

still a man among boys on the AHL. at least talent wise

godot10:
    Todd Nelson’s PP had a McLellaneque shot rate.He got the Oilers to shoot at rates that neither Eakins, Krueger, nor Renney could.

I don’t think Nelson is leaving.

34. thejonrmcleod says:

McDavid with 2A and it’s a 2-2 tie after 1.

I thought Oshawa had discovered the secret to shutting down McDavid?

35. Ryan says:

thejonrmcleod:

I am no longer the blog aficionado that I used to be… True story, I once created a WordPress blog in my spare time that I sold in less than 2 years for $26k on Flippa. During that time, I learned how to code css and some php, well enough to make a wordpress theme.

For comments, Lowetide could consider adding the disqus or Livefyre plugins.

36. RexLibris says:

So another thing to keep in mind if McLellan is on board.

Tyler Dellow.

37. haters says:

Woodguy,

Having a bonafide shot from the point helped the pp % in sj..
    Let’s hope we can dig one up.
    Might even help at evens but who knows right ?

38. SkatinginSand says:

Kris11:

Thank you. Enthusiasm seems to be getting the best of a few people tonight.

39. Kris11 says:

SkatinginSand: Thank you. Enthusiasm seems to be getting the best of a few people tonight.

Yes, but also Woooooot!. Woot and wait and see. Woot and see.

40. Ryan says:

RexLibris:
    So another thing to keep in mind if McLellan is on board.

Tyler Dellow.

What do you mean?

Dellow practically worshipped Mclellan.

I used to tell Dellow that his blog seemed like the seti project looking for signs of intelligent life within the Oilers organization…

Dellow must be stoked with Bob Nicholson, Chia Pete, and Mclellan…

41. LadiesloveSmid says:

RexLibris:
    So another thing to keep in mind if McLellan is on board.

Tyler Dellow.

was thinking the same thing. Isn’t McLellan a non-believer or very very mild user of hockey analytics?

42. Ryan says:

John Chambers,

There’s a fine line between inimitable and inimical.

43. Kris11 says:

McDavid, McLellan, MC79, McBetterTeamThanBefore.

44. Kris11 says:

I feel like I would prefer Babcock, but what are the reasons -stated precisely- for preferring him to McLellan? How do we tease apart the Red Wings success as an organization from Babcock’s contributions as an individual?

45. Mr DeBakey says:

Ryan: One question that never occurred to me was how a Toronto lawyer ever became such a diehard Oilers fan?

Try wide-eyed kid from Fort St John.

Andrew Miller scored 2-1 OKC, Hunt and Williams assists. 3A for McDavid now, 4-4 tie.

47. 10W30 says:

Did Mcdavid Just make it 5-4?

McDavid scores to make it 5-4. Now 1-3-4 on the night.

49. thejonrmcleod says:

I’d be disappointed if you weren’t watching the Erie, OKC, and Caps-Rangers games on three separate screens in your living room.

50. MrEd says:

Holy. 4 points in a OHL playoff game. My goodness. Man. Incredible.

51. thejonrmcleod says:

Hope Chiarelli looks for a “burning intensity” in the eyes of the goalie he acquires. Kelly Hrudey tells me that’s very important.

52. oliveoilers says:

thejonrmcleod:

Grant Fuhr had red rings around his eyes. Probably from the burning intensity and not from soap boxes full of Columbian Marching Powder.

53. RexLibris says:

I think Wilson was an advocate of analytics in San Jose and from that believed that McLellan felt they held value as well.

I’m of the opinion that one of Chiarelli or McLellan will find Dellow to be a useful adviser.

54. Braden88 says:

Nurse with his second assist of the game. both goals by khaira

Ford from Hunt and Winquist and we’re tied at 3.

56. Ryan says:

RexLibris:

57. RexLibris says:

McDavid is doing to Oshawa what he did to the Greyhounds. It is the Generals v McDavid, or McDavid vs Goliath, for the biblically-inclined.

He is almost single-handedly winning the Otters’ games this post-season. What impresses me most of all is that it isn’t necessarily him doing the primary scoring, but creating scoring chances that directly and intentionally set up scoring plays by his wingers and other teammates.

58. RexLibris says:

Khaira with another goal.

Let’s hope this is the beginning of him gaining some offensive traction.

59. oliveoilers says:

RexLibris:

I caught the show with Stauffer and Doug Wilson when Doug said they’d been using analytics for year, but had their own ones they specifically regarded.

I am sure that Dellow would be a useful adviser – but no more. Seemed a time where people wanted Dellow to run analytics in player procurement, player development, game strategy and tactics, concession sales at games, well, a lot of things that are basically the remit of the GM.

60. RexLibris says:

Ryan: Yes, my recollection of Dellow’s blog was that the Sharks were well ahead of the curve with analytics, particularly with player cap hit valuations.

khaira from Nurse again. Nurse not playing had nothing to do with his lack of ability.

62. Braden88 says:

RexLibris:
    Khaira with another goal.

Let’s hope this is the beginning of him gaining some offensive traction.

it appeared to me that khaira had almost nothing to do with making the play happen other than receiving a beauty pass and making a good shot. he definetly looks a lot like boyd gordon out there.

this time Nurse faked out the checking forward with a dump attempt. forward sprawls out and nurse makes a wide open pass to khaira for the easy goal.

love it!

63. striatic says:

McDavid at 49 points in 19 games.

3 off the OHL playoff record.

If the Otters win this one he is on track to break the record. As an 18 year old!

64. Snowman says:

I think its important to remember that just because a coach doesn’t use analytics doesn’t mean he doesn’t coach for them. I come from a basketball perspective most of the time because that’s the sport I grew up on (almost 20 years playing and almost 10 coaching)

For a long time I coached basketball and there are similiar “fancy stats” in basketball. I often assembled my lineups and made my defensive and offensive schemes because more good things seemed to happen whether it was scoring more or causing more turnovers or getting more rebounds or what have you. I couldn’t measure it. I didn’t know why I felt like that and I couldn’t explain it. Lots of times my assistants thought I put together odd lineups and schemes and I preferred unusual player types (although I still am a strong believer in “you can’t teach tall” which is probably the basketball equivalent of truculence).

6 or 7 years ago I got an assistant coach who is still to this day a wonderful stats guy in basketball. It took him a couple weeks before he said I had much more efficient teams than most of the teams we played. I didn’t know what he meant at first or how he could know, I just knew how to make more good things happen. Eventually I learned to tweak things based on the numbers. I already had a good understanding of how to make good things happen without the math. The math just showed me I was right.

If Mclellan doesn’t use the math to change his coaching that’s fine with me as long as he delivers the goods. He might not understand the numbers but he seems to understand how to make good stuff happen.

Coaching isn’t all math, sometimes you just might understand something inherently. I’ll give Todd the benefit of the doubt on the math.

65. Tire Fire says:

striatic:
    McDavid at 49 points in 19 games.

3 off the OHL playoff record.

McJesus indeed.

Really wish I could be watching that game, and the Nurse debut. Sadly, no streams for me…

66. striatic says:

Granted, unlike most OHL 18 year olds he has an extra season of experience due to his exceptional player status but let’s not hold that against him ok?

67. Ryan says:

RexLibris: Thinking about how Wilson always seemed to know when to ditch a player before his value crashed (Heatley and Setoguchi come to mind, and that Douglas Murray trade was a master stroke), this was my impression from afar.

I’ll swear to this day unless Dellow himself contradicts me that I read an article at Mc79 in 2009 that largely focused on the Sharks.

The title of the article was something about cost per wins in the NHL. The Sharks were unsurprisingly at the good end of the curve while the Oillers were at the opposite end.

I recall there being some quotes of Wilson pertaining to both dollars for production by position as well as career trajectory projections for players. There were some vague quotes to some proprietary stats used by the Sharks as well.

I don’t think that those trades were accidents. Just good asset management–something the Oilers have been absolutely horrid at.

68. leadfarmer says:

All khaira needed was Nurse to show up and unlock his offensive potential.

69. Tire Fire says:

Wow does the colour commentary guy on the caps stream on gamecenter sound like Jason Sudeikis (SNL alum).

70. dannyboy says:

How much of san jose’s success had to do with thr roster vs the coach? Not trying to discredit Mclellan just wondering.

71. Soup Fascist says:

Tire Fire:

Please tell me the play by play guy sounds like Pepper Brooks from Dodgeball. F’n eh, Cotton. F’en eh!

72. V.XIV.VI.I says:

dannyboy:

The roster is like the engine. It does the work. The coach is like a transmission, he makes sure the work is efficient. So a good coach with an 80hp roster can get 90% of the work out and beat a bad coach who has a 100hp roster but only gets 70% out. And a bad coach in Buffalo can beat Dallas Eakins if you gave Eakins the Canadian Olympic Hockey Team.

Basically McLellan got the Sharks to achieve very well, which is in line with what the roster there should have been able to do. The only knock on him is playoff success, particularly the collapse against the Kings, but that too probably has some roster responsibility.

73. RexLibris says:

Just for a little more perspective on the Caps/Rangers game, the Flames own the Capitals’ 2nd round pick for Glencross.

Go Caps.

74. RexLibris says:

OT for Erie/Oshawa.

75. Rondo says:

RexLibris,

Oilers move up 1 spot if Wash wins. The Montreal STL and OTT picks the Oilers have.

Ryan Hamilton scored on the PP, 5-3 OKC.

77. Bootstrap Effexor says:

thejonrmcleod:

They say that each equation you put into a book cuts your readership in half. That’s what they told Stephen Hawking, anyway.

It’s a little different with GIFs. Each animated GIF cuts the intelligence of your readership in half. I think this even holds true when your readership remains unchanged.

Since we’re celebrating the McL’s tonight, I’ll add that Marshall McLuhan really was decades ahead of his time in formulating the notion that function follows form.

It’s why every sports channel since the invention of computer graphics has a glimmering logo rotation. It’s why directors who can’t afford John Williams use the slow close-up on dramatic scenes that are badly written.

Neurology has even identified much of the cause. The visual portion of the human brain is probably the most expensive fixed function that we possess. When you light up the visual center by giving it a lot of shiny, moving edges to process, it begins to starve out other cognitive functions.

Another problem with visual information is that it bypasses judgement. The viewer is pretty much forced to enter into the picture before fully recognizing what the picture implies. Pictures can take you places where even brain bleach won’t go.

The final problem on my list is that a picture is worth 1000 words. A thread with ten to twenty pictures is already a small novella before anyone reads the posted comments. It’s like eating a dozen chocolate cookies before dinner. Green vegetables suffer, guaranteed.

The funny thing about picture nutrition is that while it might be worth 1000 words (in the same way that a big bag of chips contains a 1000 calories), beside vitamin N for “nuance”, usually a picture provides only 1% of your RDA.

See for yourself, with this game of spot the nuance (or in Bruce’s vernacular “spot the Phuc”):

Where appropriate, this complete lack of nuance is the visual medium’s greatest strength.

Where appropriate.

78. Braden88 says:

jim byers quote
    “the barons have the comets a bit bumfuzzled”

?????

Brandon Davidson and it’s 6-3.

Braden88:
    jim byers quote
    “the barons have the comets a bit bumfuzzled”

?????

Dashing Silver Bumfuzzled?

81. V.XIV.VI.I says:

Bootstrap Effexor,

You could have just linked him to /b on 4chan to effectively demonstrate the ultimate end of an image board.

82. rickithebear says:

leadfarmer:
    All khaira needed was Nurse to show up and unlock his offensive potential.

Khaira played 2 games this year without Moroz or Ewanyk as major linemates.
    he got 4 PT 2 PPG.
    he is away from Moroz and Ewanyk this game.
    2G ??????

Oil king anchors strike again.

83. Ryan says:

What ever happened to dead man waking? Does he have a new handle?

84. rich says:

Braden88:
    jim byers quote
    “the barons have the comets a bit bumfuzzled”

?????

I wish the Oilers would trade Jack Michaels for Jim Byers.

Going to miss his solid calls – and creative use of the english language.

85. RexLibris says:

Anyone else thinking this is Sather’s last year as GM?

86. RexLibris says:

5 minutes left in the 1st period and Draisaitl doesn’t have a hat-trick yet.

What a disappointing prospect.

87. Braden88 says:

empty net assist for nurse. 3 on the night

88. RexLibris says:

Wow. Heck of an offensive series in the Rangers’ zone by the Caps. Gave the Rags fits.

Hunt EN from Nurse.

90. RexLibris says:

Braden88:
    empty net assist for nurse. 3 on the night

He saw McDavid had three and vowed to beat him. Those competitive types. 😉

91. stevezie says:

I like watching wins, so I would have been thrilled with Babcock, but the part of me that likes watching hockey wanted McLellan. That’s some fun hockey.

I hate to be a dink, but He Ya is a really sad song about the doomed inevitability of love breaking up. great song to be sure; beautiful lyrics and perfectly ironic celebration music.

I have recently befriended a guy who knows, and look forward to joining the ranks of those who put forward 2nd hand rumours and speculation. So far the only thing I’ve learned is Joe Colborne is a fantastic human being. The rest of the rumours don’t make sense, which leads to me to more deeply believe that those on the inside aren’t there because they’re smarter.

Twisted Teas go down like water and Amelia Curran is no joke (if Paula Cole and Leonard Cohen had a daughter?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUAIx1LDk4I

92. blainer says:

Watching CMD one has to be exciting.. man he can just fat out fly.. His skating is just super elite . he is gonna very difficult to contain.. Adding linemates like Hall and Drai and watch out.. Is that their 2nd line.. One had to believe a line with Hall and CMD on it is line one.. My gord Nuge is gonna tear it up this year…

93. leadfarmer says:

Really sucks that one of these teams had to lose. What a series.

94. Dashingsilverfox says:

Cole Cassels with the OT winner.

Oshawa leads the series 3-1.

The cautionary tale is the team with the best player doesn’t always win…the best team does.

95. PDL says:

leadfarmer,

Really starting to feel bad for Ovi.

96. oliveoilers says:

Ryan:
    What ever happened to dead man waking?Does he have a new handle?

Heinz57?

97. Rondo says:

How did Nurse play? Did he play like he did in the OHL playoffs ex Nurse all over the ice. Or did he play like the World Jrs. controlled did not take big chances.

98. Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker) says:

Crosby was on a line with Hall n Ebs today. Will be interesting to see how that shakes out.

99. slopitch says:

Anyone see Barnaby on Twitter?

To get McDavid.., starting price would be Eichel Ristoleinin, Zadorov, and 1st. I think Edmonton says NO

Trust me. Murray like him that much and yes he’s that good. I love Eichel and Buff has a great piece but rewind Murray comments…That will tell u the story. He doesn’t even think they are close. He thinks McDavid is far superior

I wouldn’t take Malkin and Crosby for McDavid. (he made a future tweet about McDavid on ELC being worth tons),

Edm not trading pick. Never. Lindros ransom if he didn’t report which he will. Kid is better than Crosby and 18.

100. LadiesloveSmid says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    Cole Cassels with the OT winner.

Oshawa leads the series 3-1.

if CMD had a little support and some goaltending that’s a win.

McJ won’t be alone in Edmonton. Hall, RNH, Eberle, Draisaitl, Yak all have the potential to carry the offence on their own.

Need a Talbot-Ramo tandem though. And a couple years of making over that abysmal defence.

101. G Money says:

If you’re wondering about McLellan’s coaching and how much of his success was ‘just roster’, the three links LT posted from Fear the Fin are required reading. They speak both to specific strategies as well as a general approach to hockey, both of which can be tied directly to San Jose being the possession monsters they were. Can’t do it without the roster, but the roster can’t do it without the coaching.

Of particular note is the ‘pressured breakout’. Breakouts are something the Oilers have been absolutely terrible at for years, and that’s something I would look to see improve dramatically under TMac.

That lets me reflect back to a few months ago when I was visiting the family in San Jose, and an old buddy of mine (from Alberta, fellow CompSci guy down in Silicon Valley since 86) wondered if I wanted to go see a game with him. Turned out to be a Flames game, not that this mattered to me at all other than making it real easy to cheer for the Sharks.

Since I was sitting at the Sharks attacking end, I got to see a LOT of the Sharks, and I took care to study the systems. Tons of set plays after faceoffs, on zone entries, just really remarkable how well coached that team looked. Talented, of course. But really well coached.

Sure won’t mind if TMac is the guy.

On a side note, as a reflection of both their seasons, the Sharks dominated that one all night – and the Flames won.

On a second side note, I believe that was the first sighting of the “Oiler McDavid” jerseys. Sitting kitty corner across the rink were seven (?) Oiler fans wearing jerseys with McDavid on the back. The now somewhat iconic picture of those guys that LT has shown a number of times is from that game. They spent the whole game leading “Flames Suck” chants. Outstanding. Prophetic.

102. blainer says:

Rondo:
    How did Nurse play? Did he play like he did in the OHL playoffsex Nurse all over the ice.Or did he play like the World Jrs. controlleddid not take big chances.

Much more controlled with three apples.. Just did not understand not playing him last game..If he can keep this up and they advance to the next series I believe he makes the oil in the fall…

103. Dashingsilverfox says:

LadiesloveSmid: if CMD had a little support and some goaltending that’s a win.

104. Gordies Elbow says:

Wow. In under a calendar year:
    – Kevin Lowe was removed from hockey operations
    – Craig MacTavish – Demoted
    – Fredric Chabot fired
    – Dallas Eakins fired
    – Patrick Laforge resigned

– Bob Nicholson promoted to CEO
    – Pete Chiarelli hired as POHO and GM
    – Bob Green promoted to Director Player Personnel
    – Craig Ramsay hired as assistant coach
    – Rocky Thompson hired as assistant coach
    – Dustin Schwartz hired as a goaltending coach

And Friedman believes that Edmonton is about to announce:
    – Todd McLellan hired as head coach
    – Jay Woodcroft hired as assistant coach

And Edmonton won the McDavid pick.

Wow.

105. slopitch says:

Gordies Elbow,

What could top it off? The 3 for 1 D trade? Its pretty damn amazing and just getting started!

106. lance says:

Bakersfield California. The arena was all closed up tonight then I remembered about game 7 and figured that was prolly why. The imperial valley is nothing if not a hotbed for hockey right? Hope the players like Mexican food. The arena is in the equivalent part of town to 107 Ave and 95th street, if Norwood was in Mexico.

What happens to the Condors? Do they move by chance to OKC?

Lowetide ima send you an email at amitchell at astral.com. Does that still work?

Dashingsilverfox: I’m not sure you can call Dylan Strome, Remi Elie and Nick Baptiste a lack of support.

Strome hasn’t been himself, suspect it’s an injury.

108. flyfish1168 says:

Leon with a shortie and rockets with two shorties on same wheat king PP

109. LadiesloveSmid says:

over doubling the next guy in points, forward support cast in Edmonton will be a whole nother level

can’t emphasize how much that defence needs to change though. Need 25YO Nurse and Klefbom, and Jultz’s head screwed on right

110. Gordies Elbow says:

slopitch:
    Gordies Elbow,

Bob N.’s audit is likely complete, and they’re in the process of checking off the boxes.

With Nurse, Draisaitl, and McDavid are incoming, having experienced management and coaching was critical. Looking better on that front, to say the least.

Edmonton’s in a fortunate position with respect to it’s cap position, with players like CMD, Draisaitl, and Nurse on ELC’s. Cap space is about to become a premium for at least the next year, and there are teams that are in positions to make deals with teams like Edmonton and Calgary. Edmonton has young assets and picks to move.

Fabled 3 for 1? Unlikely. Couple of grounders into doubles? Likely.

111. LadiesloveSmid says:

my god can Draisaitl ever pass. His backhand saucer passes could have made this 4-0 if his line mates could finish

112. Gordies Elbow says:

LadiesloveSmid:

113. LadiesloveSmid says:

Gordies Elbow: Yeah, but he’s only got one point. Nurse had 3, and McDavid had 4. #SoDisappointing.

just got an assist! 2! still time for an EN!

114. LadiesloveSmid says:

Draisaitl regularly playing PK. Blocked shot just now(not on PK to be clear) led to his assist. Had a pretty stellar pass on the play

115. Soup Fascist says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    Cole Cassels with the OT winner.

Oshawa leads the series 3-1.

Call me Crazy.

116. Braden88 says:

Rondo:

he played world juniors style if that answers your question. he was solid defensively, not roaming too much. he had a number of great rushes into the offensive zone, aiding in the attack and got 1 assist from a rush he initiated himself. but overall he was a sound defensive player

i only saw 1 mistake that he made where he made a blind backhand pass in the defensive zone that landed on the other teams stick for a great chance. luckily a baron was there with the block. other than that he was a man among boys both physically and mentally.

#notmeantforthisleage

117. Rondo says:

Braden88,

Thanks

Leon Draisaitl is a wonderful player.

119. Gordies Elbow says:

Soup Fascist: That is correct, but having been the fan of a team that HAS had the best player in the league a couple of times (Gretzky and then Messier) I am prepared to roll the dice, should McDavid meet the lofty goals that have been set for him.

Call me Crazy.

You’re crazy.

That said,

Pouliot – Hopkins – Eberle
    Hall – McDavid – Yakupov
    Draisaitl – Lander – Purcell
    Hendricks – Gordon – Klinkhammer

We know that Pouliot, Hopkins, and Eberle can work.
    Hall attacking from the left, McDavid from the right, and Yakupov playing chaos?
    Lander seems to fit anywhere (including as Sweden’s top centre) and Drai has sublime passes and the ability to score points while I write comments (#StilSomewhatDisappointed) and Purcell and Lander are a good PK tandem.

I love that they have enough depth that it’s actually interesting to see how they’d be deployed.

Jay Woodcroft, to the batphone!

120. LadiesloveSmid says:

Drai wins WHL Playoff MVP. 27P in 19GP, +16

121. Gordies Elbow says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Drai wins WHL Playoff MVP. 27P in 19GP, +16

#StillMarginallyDisappionted

122. Soup Fascist says:

Gordies Elbow: You’re crazy.

That said,

Pouliot – Hopkins – Eberle
    Hall – McDavid – Yakupov
    Draisaitl – Lander – Purcell
    Hendricks – Gordon – Klinkhammer

We know that Pouliot, Hopkins, and Eberle can work.

Jay Woodcroft, to the batphone!

I guess if you want to get a gauge on CMD’s hockey IQ – seeing if he can find Yak and get a read on where he is going, he will be hockey’s version of Steven Hawking.

Man, I would love to see a Joel Ward type riding shot gun on the third line instead of Purcell.

123. Derek says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Drai wins WHL Playoff MVP. 27P in 19GP, +16

…and he may be the third best prospect Edmonton has graduating from the CHL this year. 🙂

124. LadiesloveSmid says:

Derek: …and he may be the third best prospect Edmonton has graduating from the CHL this year.

just get those kids a goalie and some gord damn defence and let them roll

125. letmycamerongo says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    Cole Cassels with the OT winner.

Oshawa leads the series 3-1.

I don’t know if this would count as “conventional wisdom”, but I’d say having the “best player” is a pretty damn good building block to having the “best team”. It seems like a really positive step, wouldn’t you have to agree. I mean you just have to agree…. you just have to.

126. Gordies Elbow says:

Soup Fascist: I guess if you want to get a gauge onCMD’s hockey IQ – seeing if he can find Yak and get a read on where he is going, he will be hockey’s version of Steven Hawking.

If I were McLelland, I would have Jay W. (who I believe will be coming along with TMcL) start to work on a game plan for this line. If nothing else, it’ll be fun to watch opposing defenders try and contain on the rush.

So looking forward to seeing how this plays out. I still can’t believe that Edmonton won the pick, and the great changes that have occurred this year.

127. book¡je says:

A peak at Bob Nicholson’s post audit work plan.

Workplan:

1. Win McDavid Lottery
    2. Fix Everyfuckingthing else

128. Soup Fascist says:

Gordies Elbow: Yak is “slippery chaos with a shot.” McDavid plays at a speed that I’m left unable to comprehend. Hall is, well, Taylor Hall.

So looking forward to seeing how this plays out. I still can’t believe that Edmonton won the pick, andthe great changes that have occurred this year.

129. Rondo says:

LT,

What picks do Oilers have in the draft by # ?

1, 16, 33, 57, 79? , 86?, 87, 124, 154, 184

130. digdeepnbleedblue says:

Sounds like a regular get drunk and argue about politics, religion and family in one sit down kinda day! lol

Who knew the internet thingy was SO entertianing. Crazy shit! Loving it.

My thoughts: any publicity is good publicity. Advertising 101. Get your name out there.

Hands washed.

On the Oilers: McDavid. Driasiatl. Nurse. I’m thinking next year will have (I’d say modest but after last year…) gains, but the year after will be something’ special!

That is all. lol Happy fucking days!! Ear to ear, baby.

131. Gordies Elbow says:

Soup Fascist: Scared to wake up and find out we still have MacT trying to figure out whether to sign Roy or Jokinen while helping Jultz write his Norris acceptance speech.

Sweet Jebus, I won’t sleep tonight with that thought rattling around the organic CPU….

PS: Anyone else still wake up, and question if these things (Nicholson, McDavid, Chiarelli, etc.) actually happened? I still can’t believe the McDavid lottery. Crazy, and then to see the changed that it has brought?

132. G Money says:

McDavid: 4 points @ OHL final

Nurse: 3 points @ AHL playoffs

Draisaitl: 2 points & WHL MVP @ WHL final

Hall & Eberle: playing on Canada’s arguable top line centred by Sidney Crosby @ WHC

Lander: centring Sweden’s top line @ WHC

Klefbom: on Sweden’s top D pairing @ WHC

Jimi Hendricks: Captain America @ WHC

#JustABitDisappointed

133. AZOIL says:

G Money:
    McDavid: 4 points @ OHL final

Nurse: 3 points @ AHL playoffs

Draisaitl: 2 points & WHL MVP @ WHL final

Lander: centring Sweden’s top line @ WHC
    Who knew the spring could be so exciting as an Oilers fan!

Klefbom: on Sweden’s top D pairing @ WHC

Jimi Hendricks: Captain America @ WHC

#JustABitDisappointed

Who knew the spring could be fun as an Oilers fan!

134. Lewis Grant says:

I don’t want to rain on the parade – after all, getting McLellan is a win.

But if it means that we didn’t even try for Babcock, AND that Nelson is likely out, I have concerns.

McKenzie said that we were the #1 destination for Babcock. Why not wait a few days and try for Babcock? Wouldn’t McLellan still be available even if Babcock says no at that point? Considering that Babcock’s next contract will radically reshape the market for coaches, wouldn’t every coach want to wait until then to sign? Where else is McLellan going to go in the meantime? A team that doesn’t have CMD?

Some say Babcock is too much of a disciplinarian, and he wouldn’t work with this Oiler group. On the contrary, that’s exactly what the Oilers need, even if the players don’t want it. Eakins ultimately failed because, like every coach before him, he couldn’t get the stars (except for RNH) to buy in to backchecking. And until the Oilers learn to do that, they will never win a Stanley Cup – even with CMD.

I’m reminded of Wayne Gretzky’s story about walking by the Islanders’ dressing room as they celebrated winning the 1983 Cup. They thought the Islanders would be living it up. But the Islanders were all totally banged up and the place looked like a hospital. That was a huge lesson for those young Oilers about what it took to win. Talent alone was not enough. Having learned their lesson, the next year they would turn the tables on the Islanders in the Cup final. The Oilers today don’t have enough fortitude to finish 27th overall, never mind four grueling playoff rounds.

Furthermore, the progress that Yak/Lander/Schultz/etc showed under Nelson is too valuable to give away. I think it’s pretty critical that Nelson stay on. What if we get only McLellan, when we could have had Babcock and Nelson?

135. AZOIL says:

Lewis Grant:
    I don’t want to rain on the parade – after all, getting McLellan is a win.

McKenzie said that we were the #1 destination for Babcock.Why not wait and try for him?Wouldn’t McLellan still be available even if Babcock says no?Considering that Babcock’s next contract will radically reshape the market for coaches, wouldn’t every coach want to wait until then to sign, unless perhaps he had the chance to coach CMD?

Some say Babcock is too much of a disciplinarian and he wouldn’t work with this Oiler group.On the contrary, that’s exactly what they need, even if they don’t want it.Eakins ultimately failed because like every coach before him, he couldn’t get the stars (except for RNH) to buy in to backchecking.And until the Oilers learn to do that, they will never win a Stanley Cup even with CMD.

Anyone else ever read Wayne Gretzky’s story about walking by the Islanders’ dressing room as they celebrated winning the 1983 Cup?The Islanders were all totally banged up and the place looked like a hospital.That was a huge lesson for those young Oilers about what it took to win.Talent alone was not enough.Having learned their lesson, the next year they would turn the tables on the Islanders in the Cup final.

Furthermore, the progress that Yak/Lander/Schultz/etc showed under Nelson is too valuable to give away.I think it’s pretty critical that Nelson stay on.What if we get only McLellan, when we could have had Babcock and Nelson?

I honestly think Babcock has no intentions of going anywhere and is just negotiating a larger contract with Detroit. Bottom line.

I also think he knows this and is close with McLellan and therefore talked with Chia but isn’t wanting to get in the way of his friends future job and likely told chia that, hence no interview. He will meet with Toronto and buffalo and philly and will end up right back in Detroit. Wait and see!

136. Gordies Elbow says:

Lewis Grant,

I would say that the more likely scenario is that Babcock would like more control over the roster, and that may not be a good fit with Chiarelli et. al?

Personally, I think that while Babcock is a great coach, the best fit for the Oilers, given the roster as it sits, is likely Todd McLellan and Jay Woodcroft.

McLellan’s associate coach last year is remaining with the Sharks. I can’t see any reason why Edmonton wouldn’t look at Nelson as the associate, with Craig Ramsey and Jay Woodcroft as assistants.

137. Adam Wu says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Drai wins WHL Playoff MVP. 27P in 19GP, +16

Only 27 pts, eh?

There’s this other guy in the other junior league who’s a whole year younger who’s on pace for almost double that!

138. RexLibris says:

book¡je:
    A peak at Bob Nicholson’s post audit work plan.

Workplan:

1. Win McDavid Lottery
    2. Fix Everyfuckingthing else

Going to put that on a ppt slide.

139. RexLibris says:

RexLibris:
    5 minutes left in the 1st period and Draisaitl doesn’t have a hat-trick yet.

What a disappointing prospect.

Seems I’ve started something.

140. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Three good dives done in beautiful Okinawa waters. Sitting poolside now and having a beer to toast McLellan’s arrival. I mean, when was the last time the Oilers had 59 shots in a game (although Mr. Scrivens had the last laugh that day)?

Always loved the McLellan era Sharks style of play. And remember, for all those wanting Babcock, McLellan was his number one disciple. I think for whatever reasons, the Oilers have read the tea leaves and closed on McLellan because of bird in hand. I think there was a high chance Babcock didn’t want to go back to the Western Conference due to travel. He’s going to stay in the East, and it’s probably Buffalo or Detroit.

Chiarelli is doing the right thing here.

I love McDavid, thrilled we have him. But that package is insane. Murray would never do that.

141. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Said this before but I see Hall as the biggest beneficiary of McLellan’s style, whereas Nuge would have benefited more from Babcock. Just my opinion, but McLellan was great using Marleau’s speed and Babcock has molded cerebral centres such as Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

142. hunter1909 says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”: Re: Slopitch’s comment that Barnaby said the price for McDavid for Buffalo starts at Eichel, Ristolainen, Zadorov and a 1st the Oilers would be nuts not take that. That’s a #1C, two really high end young D and another first in a deep draft. Eichel is really being sold short here by some.

Never fails to amaze me how people constantly make lists of “value” packages for superstar players. How much will these players cost against a salary cap never enters the equation.

143. hunter1909 says:

Lewis Grant: Eakins ultimately failed because, like every coach before him, he couldn’t get the stars (except for RNH) to buy in to backchecking.

Wrong. Eakins failed because he wasn’t anywhere near qualified enough to be a coach in the NHL. Not his fault of course, that the GM hired him during another one of his whimsical fancies.

I hated MacT as a coach. Never developed a single offensive player worth squat, and when it counted was hopelessly out coached by Laviolette in game 7. As a GM he was even worse – calling out half the fucking team before driving them out of town. Just a monumental tool.

144. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

hunter1909,

Yes, I suppose. But I guess the question is do you take say Getzlaf Lindholm fowler and one more prospect or Crosby. Think you have to think long and hard about that one. In a few years you could have a D corps of Zadorov, Ristolainen, Nurse and Werenski while still having Eichel, Nuge, Draisaitl. That’s balance.

Anyways moot point as I doubt Buffalo ever offers that and more. Barnaby saying that was a starting point.

145. theres oil in virginia says:

Ryan:
    What ever happened to dead man waking?Does he have a new handle?

I think only one person on this site (or in the universe) uses the word novella. That may be a clue, or a lark.

146. thejonrmcleod says:

Bootstrap Effexor,

My reply would be that this is a sports blog, not an academic journal.

147. Ben says:

Man the Rangers have good D depth.

Does Yak and 16 get you Talbot and Staal?

theres oil in virginia: I think only one person on this site (or in the universe) uses the word novella.That may be a clue, or a lark.

I think Oliveoilers is right and he’s Heniz 57

Ben:
    Man the Rangers have good D depth.

Does Yak and 16 get you Talbot and Staal?

I love Yak and I do that deal.

I’m really high on Talbot.

Have a post coming out on it soon.

150. Ben says:

Woodguy,

Ah – Staal NMC.

I love Yak, too. But If Poo can take his spot, you can run:

McD-Hall-Eberle
    RNH-Draisaitl-Pouliot

If you’re gonna do it, probably better to move Yak next summer when you have a better sense of what he and Leon are gonna be.

151. Surly says:

Ben:
    Woodguy,

Ah – Staal NMC.

I could be mistaken but I don’t believe the NMC kicks in until July 1st as his extension was only signed in January.

Rather faces collateral damage in future extension signings if he does this, but:
    -it’s business
    -I’m betting he’ll retire at some point in the not-too-distant-future and move back to Banff full time

152. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Woah.
    In my mind 16th overall is worth more than what Talbot would fetch.

Staal is more valuable than Yak now but with cap hit and potential I keep Yak at this time.

I have suggested the 16th and something for Staal and Talbot a few times myself but that something is not quite as valuable as Yak. A good prospect mind you, but that seems like a deal that could really bite the Oilers.

153. hunter1909 says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”: that seems like a deal that could really bite the Oilers.

Once two people went to a pawnshop. After collecting the money they nearly get into a fistfight over going to a restaurant/buying food at a local store.

Ben:
    Woodguy,

Ah – Staal NMC.

I love Yak, too.But If Poo can take his spot, you can run:

McD-Hall-Eberle
    RNH-Draisaitl-Pouliot

His NMC doesn’t kick in until July 1st.

Sather could Homer him and trade him before.

155. Ben says:

hunter1909: Post winning McDavid it’s understandable that fans immediately want to flush incredible assets for instant gratification.

If by “immediate gratification” you mean dealing from forward depth to get a 2/3 d-man on a 6-year deal and one of the more promising up-and-coming NHL goaltenders in the league, then…yeah, ok…

156. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy: I think Oliveoilers is right and he’s Heniz 57

Yeah, he definitely was, but you don’t think he switched? I haven’t seen “Heinz 57” post for several days. And then there’s this:

Bootstrap Effexor:
    Finally a thread to rid me of my former user name, whose purview was numbered.

I think that’s a tell. It appeared soon after “Heinz 57” made his most recent contribution.

157. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

I would deal a winger under Hall but it has to be the right circumstance. Sather will try something like Yak for Talbot which is an overpay because goalie values are low and Yak was a 1OV.

Yak or whomever on a salary dump cap issue type deal for a good right side D might be a win win. Nobody is dealing an elite established goalie.

I don’t see the point in acquiring another left side D when it’s an area of strength and the right side is barren. They could use a left side UFA vet as a stop gap but they don’t need a young guy long term or any new player long term there.

158. rickithebear says:

Anyone who talks the intangibles as an issue for a team
    until .
    A statistically viable team of NHL players is assembled.
    ARE FOOLS!

159. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

rickithebear:
    Anyone who talks the intangibles as an issue for a teamuntil .
    A statistically viable team of NHL players is assembled.
    ARE FOOLS!

I’m in whole hearted agreement here, minus calling people fools. Haha.

160. Really? says:

Rondo,

Believe we have #1, #16, #33, #60, #79, #89, #124, #131, #154, and #184. This of course could change depending upon trades etc.