REVIEWING THE 2008 DRAFT

Jordan Eberle was an outstanding draft pick. Although he was ranked as a late first round selection on the Bob McKenzie list, the Regina connection (Lorne Davis) felt right and the selection remains on the organization’s best value picks of the century.

• No. 22 overall: R Jordan Eberle. Bob McKenzie told us Eberle was one of the smartest offensive players in the draft, and these years later we know it’s for sure. . Scott Cullen’s numbers suggest a player taken at No. 22 overall has an 60% chance of playing 100 NHL games and the average player is a fringe NHL winger. Eberle has now played in 356 NHL games and is impressive value for the draft number. The five players taken after him: Tyler Cuma (1 NHL game); Mattias Tedenby (120); Greg Nemisz (15); Tyler Ennis (345); John Carlson (398). That’s some insane value. Fabulous pick.
  • No. 103 overall: D Johan Motin. He played just one NHL game but  Motin is a successful defender in the SHL and at 25 looks like he’ll have a good career in Sweden. The five taken after Motin played zero games in the NHL save for Michal Jordan (43 games). Cullen’s numbers tell us No. 103 overall picks play 100 games 19.5% of the time and are career minor leaguers. Motin is, average, based on his draft number.
  • No. 133 overall: L Phil Cornet. The winger is a career minor leaguer who played two NHL games. There’s a 16% chance a player taken here will play 100 NHL games and average is Cornet, a career minor leaguer. Tomas Kubalik (12 games) is the only other pick from Cornet plus five back to play in the NHL.
  • No. 163 overall: L Teemu Hartikainen. A successful pick! Seriously. People never understand what success looks like later in the draft and Teemu represents it absolutely. There’s a 15% chance a pick this late plays 100 NHL games and career minor leaguer is average. Hartikainen’s 52 games are certainly better than average for this position.
  • No. 193 overall: D Jordan Bendfeld. An overage pick that didn’t last long in the pro’s, he had a connection to Oil Kings GM at the time (and now Oilers draft head) Bob Green.
Scott Cullen’s look at draft numbers is here, and you may enjoy my review first blush look from 2009. It was a poor draft for Edmonton.

62 Responses to "REVIEWING THE 2008 DRAFT"

1. LadiesloveSmid says:

what’s rickibear doing writing in full sentences in that ’08 link?

also, can someone direct me on how to put up a display picture? thanks

2. John Chambers says:

’08 was the year for defensemen in a class that included Doughty, Pietrangelo, Bogosian, Karlsson, Tyler Myers, Colton Teubert, and Luke Schenn early, and Carlson, Josi, Voynov, Wiercoch and Justin Schultz all between 25 and 50.

The Oilers surrendered their first three picks, two of whom became Tyler Myers and Justin Schiltz, for what became 3 and 2/3rds years of Dustin Penner, who in present terms yielded Colten Teubert and Oscar Klefbom. Schultz of course found his way back to the Oil drop.

So Klefbom is essentially the defenseman we drafted 13th OV that year, while Schultz was taken in the 2nd round, and Teubert was like the 3rd rounder who had a cup of coffee in the NHL before fulfilling his dharm as an Iserlohn Rooster. In all that makes for a pretty good draft.

In hindsight The whole draft for Edmonton turned out like that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry manages to always even out, finding $20 bucks in his pocket right after losing it.

3. hunter1909 says:

“There’s a 15% chance a pick this late plays 100 NHL games and career minor leaguer is average. Hartikainen’s 52 games are certainly better than average for this position.”

Seems to me he was just another busted prospect on the anvil of MacT’s invincible stupidity.

4. prairieschooner says:

Sorry to go slightly OT but if we do not want to trade one of our stars (partly because we have become attached to them) then we have to maximize our 16th pick to get a top 4 d man

5. hunter1909 says:

John Chambers,

Colton Teubert. I’ll always remember Lowe/MacT/whoever might have been fronting that season trumpeting Teubert’s praises; just as if it was draft day. Lombardi packaged a known busting project and fleeced the small town suckers, going to to win the Stanley Cup.

Lombardi + Sather = Automatic trade red flag GM’s.

6. John Chambers says:

prairieschooner,

Let me ask a poll question: if the return was the same, be it Jarod Spurgeon or Seabrook or Marc Staal, but the asking price was either Yakupov or the 16 OV, who would you rather trade?

Willis has a nice write up on ON where he cited a rumoured Yak for Spurgeon deal but I’m with you where Id rather trade the pick instead of our Tartar as he’s in the right age cluster and should be worth far more in trade at the end of his current team-friendly contract.

7. barry.moore23 says:

I’m liking the copper and midnite blue. Or something different. Too much bleh associated with orange and blue

prairieschooner:
    Sorry to go slightly OT butif we do not want to trade one of our stars (partly because we have become attached to them) then we have to maximize our 16th pick to get a top 4 d man

Great idea. Let’s find one with more than one year before free agency.

9. rich says:

Thanks for continuing this series LT – very good stuff.

The best thing about this draft was that for one of the few times in the last decade, management showed self control with the 1st round pick and let Eberle come along at his pace instead of rushing him to the pro’s.

Also, iirc, the Eberle pick was not EDM’s #1 – but the last in the package that sent Pronger to ANA and gave us Smid and Lupol. We forfeited our 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the Penner offer-sheet.

The Oiler drafts from 2003-2009 were one of 3 major causes for this team being where it is now (along with bad management and a poor development system). A case study for how not to run a hockey team.

John Chambers:
    prairieschooner,

Spurgeon isn’t a good fit for the Oilers. He would be building for a low ceiling. The Oilers should aim higher, for cathedral ceilings.

I’d trade Yakupov, a prospect D not named Marincin (or Klefbom or Nurse) and the 33rd to New York if both Talbot and Staal were coming back.

11. John Chambers says:

godot10,

If the return was Talbot AND Staal I wouldn’t hesitate to trade Yak + Pitt’s pick.

If you reason that Staal > Yak, to me that’s enough of a difference to justify sending the 16 OV for Talbot.

12. HiddenDarts says:

LadiesloveSmid,

That rickithebear post was absolutely insane. Like bizarro world. You can’t buy that level of clarity. Well, er, you can.

I thought I was having an acid flashback, myself.

13. square_wheels says:

godot10,

Interesting, wasn’t a Brian Campbell trade much loved here a couple years ago ? Last year we fawned over Enstrom and Erhoff, so how is Spurgeon not a good fit?? The list of players from this ilk that murdered us for years….Boyle, Matthew Schneider, Zubov….

He will not, however, come cheap.

14. square_wheels says:

godot10,

Then trade the 16th for Spurgeon and were set 🙂

15. square_wheels says:

I’ve been scouring rosters all day, is any team as ugly as the Devils ? Surely Larson could be be in play for some young players and picks.

Lou really fucked that team, ugly ugly roster.

16. admiralmark says:

If Eberle must go then perhaps we could use our Russian connections to snag this burgeoning superstar?

17. wheatnoil says:

It’s hard to get value when you have one pick in the top 100. I think the Oilers have 5 this year!

Thank goodness for that Eberle pick. Can you imagine these last few years if the Oilers had taken Cuma instead?

18. Pouzar says:

wheatnoil:

It’s not a Coo-mah!

19. PunjabiOil says:

Jim Matheson got a quote out of the Oilers during 2008 draft day that had Eberle been selected by Washington, the Oilers were set to take Cuma instead.

I recall after Eberle, I wanted Ennis.

Eberle is better, but Ennis I feel is highly underrated.

20. speeds says:

LT (and everyone):

What do you think the chances are EDM takes a look at Mike Reilly, and what do you think are the chances he is interested in signing with EDM?

21. flyfish1168 says:

PunjabiOil:

I recall after Eberle, I wanted Ennis.

Eberle is better, but Ennis I feel is highly underrated.

Ennis would have gone before if he had some size.

22. theres oil in virginia says:

Pouzar: It’s not a Coo-mah!

Love that bit:

23. prairieschooner says:

If we hold on to #16 we are pushing the rebuild back a bit
    This goes back to the oilers always picking BPA resulting in too many wingers and no centres
    We are looking a bit better today up the middle but
    Yak is the currency we have to spend and if the Oilers can not convert Yak into a top d man then it has to be #16 plus to get the job done.
    Now IS the time for bold moves

24. Pouzar says:

theres oil in virginia: Love that bit:

I mean…. who hasn’t used that line?

25. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

The rebuild is officially over. I wanted to exclamate but it looked sarcastic.

We’re done fans. We have a forward group the envy of the league. We need three decent players to be viable, 2 on D and a goalie.

It’s over.

If that Pechi can’t finish it off is another matter.

26. wheatnoil says:

speeds:
    LT (and everyone):

That would be an awful lot of young d-men breaking in at once. Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin.
    Not to mention the other recent NCAA grads of Simpson, Oesterle, and Joey Lega down in Bakersfield. All left shots too. Maybe if the Oilers make a 2 or 3 for 1 at the draft and clear out a couple younger D-men for a more experienced upgrade.

I mean, you can never have too many good prospects, but D-men in their early 20s may not be as much of an organizational priority. He’d be a welcome signing, but I think he could find another organization where there’s not as many young D prospects battling it out.

27. Lewis Grant says:

One defenseman that hasn’t been mentioned but who might be available is Dustin Byfuglien.

Would the Jets trade him for #33 and choice of Davidson/Musil? Would you make that deal? I think I would.

28. Yeti says:

Anyone a little scared that the Abney pick was also directly credited to Bob Green…

29. John Chambers says:

Lewis Grant,

You’re dreaming, mate. Buff is the Jets’ MVP.

I could see the 16 OV + next years 1st along with Marincin perhaps being of interest, but otherwise Winnipeg knows what they have.

30. square_wheels says:

John Chambers,

And he knows next year as a UFA philly will back up a truck full of strippers and gold bars, probably a 7 yr supply if you know what I’m saying.

31. Snowman says:

Lewis Grant,

I don’t think the conversation to get Buff starts with a pick…. I think it probably starts with Hall (from Winnipegs perspective). Edit: Hall might be a little steep, I thought Buff had more time on his contract.. But it would certainly not be a pick+. Winnipeg is in build to win mode. Not gather assets mode.

Personally I’d rather have Trouba anyways.

32. square_wheels says:

square_wheels:
    John Chambers,

If there is a more inconsistent 6M player in the league please point him out. If we get motivated and in shape Buff, sure, but whomever signs him for his 31yr plus contract is insane.

33. square_wheels says:

Pouzar,

I thought we were bound by the “only Seinfeld references” rule?

Personal fav Arnie line is ” your clothes, give them to me, NOW”

34. Rational Zealot says:

hunter1909:
    John Chambers,

Lombardi + Sather = Automatic trade red flag GM’s.

This is why I don’t take the reflexive criticism of MacTavish seriously. So much of it is stuff like this, that blames him for things that literally have nothing to do with them.

Oiler fan is dumb. Even here.

35. Магия 10 says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    what’s rickibear doing writing in full sentences in that ’08 link?

also, can someone direct me on how to put up a display picture? thanks

OMG. Eakins ruined the bear

36. Rational Zealot says:

I don’t care who it is. Trading for Seabrook is a terrible idea. Worse than anything MacTavish ever did.

Conversely, trading for Spurgeon (or someone like him) is a good idea. You don’t trade for players you trade for contracts. Giving up assets for one year of a player will start the closing of the window before it even opens.

37. leadfarmer says:

Lewis Grant,

I think you throw in a conditional 7th round draft pick. On the condition they use it as lubrication as you are taking them behind the tool shed.

Musil and Davidson’s value is at best a mid round pick, C level prospect each

38. Dashingsilverfox says:

Suggesting Hartikainen in some sort is some of success is beyond the pale.

Had he been drafted by a decent organization his GP in the NHL would be close to zero.

Ben Smith, Tommy Wingels, Zac Rinaldo, Zac Redmond, Jason Demers, Matt Barkowski and Anders Lindback were all drafted after Hartikainen.

He’s gone and he’s not coming back.

That’s a fail.

39. Jasmine says:

Rational Zealot,

That was Tambellini, the worst GM ever but certain Oilers fans give him a free ride just so they can criticize Lowe and MacT because of the Lowe/MacT hatred.

40. Dashingsilverfox says:

Jasmine:
    Rational Zealot,

Why would anyone question the Lowe/MacT cabal?

Their track record speaks for itself.

41. Rational Zealot says:

Dashingsilverfox,

The point is that it isn’t a cabal and blaming MacTavish for things that happened when he was working elsewhere is the mindless hatred of little minds.

42. Dashingsilverfox says:

Rational Zealot:
    Dashingsilverfox,

The Lowe/MacT mindset has infected the Oilers for most of a decade.

It’s no surprise both have been shunted away from the levers of power.

It would likely be best if both had received the benefits of their failure but Katz appears to be a very loyal employer.

Only a very little mind would ascertain that either had a net positive benefit on an organization that has been the worst franchise in pro sports for the last decade.

It gets better from here.

43. Chamucks says:

Dashingsilverfox,

OT: That space between the ‘A’ and ‘S’ in your user name drives me crazy.
    The kerning, my god, where is the kerning.

44. RPG says:

@TPS_Guy: The update I was given today on #Oilers prospect @MarcoRoy11 is that he’s back skating and SHOULD be cleared to play in Memorial Cup.

Good news.

45. rickithebear says:

HiddenDarts:
    LadiesloveSmid,

I thought I was having an acid flashback, myself.

I am going to be tested for sign of diabetic stroke.
    Wife feels I am showing signs of memory loss.

After reading that!
    I AM FUCKED!

Dashingsilverfox:
    Suggesting Hartikainen in some sort is some of success is beyond the pale.

He’s gone and he’s not coming back.

That’s a fail.

Oh, DSF. Hartikainen’s story is far from over.

47. Halfwise says:

rickithebear: I am going to be tested for sign of diabetic stroke.
    Wife feels I am showing signs of memory loss.

After reading that!
    I AM FUCKED!

That’s serious stuff you are dealing with. Best wishes because it could be a tough journey.

48. smellyglove says:

Just crunched some #s on Yakupov.

With Eakins:

113GP-16G-36P
    0.14 GPG and 0.32 PPG

WITHOUT Eakins:

79GP-26G-52P
    0.33 GPG and 0.66 PPG

Mind you his year last year was better than this….

Don’t give up hope?

smellyglove:
    Just crunched some #s on Yakupov.

With Eakins:

113GP-16G-36P
    0.14 GPG and 0.32 PPG

WITHOUT Eakins:

79GP-26G-52P
    0.33 GPG and 0.66 PPG

Mind you his year last year was better than this….

Don’t give up hope?

50. commonfan14 says:

Rational Zealot: Also, it feels like I say this every time I post here, but if you are trading for only one year of a contract anything more than a second round pick is an overpayment.

Yeah, I really can’t figure this out. MacT and Tambo are universally crapped on for the Gagner/Petry RFA deals that ended a year before they could become UFAs, yet there are people who want to trade significant assets to bring in guys with the same option.

What’s the best-case scenario for such a move? The Boychuck one where we convince a guy to re-sign a crazy-long contract to play out his declining years for us at an inflated price?

No thanks.

51. SwedishPoster says:

Don’t know how many of you that watched yesterdays WHC semi but I’ve been impressed by the czechs d-man Jakub Nakladal, 6’2, RHD, very physical, pretty good shot though doesn’t seem to translat to a lot of points, stay at home guy and kept up well against the canadian stars, had a couple of big hits that game. He’s been good against the other top teams as well. 27 yo, might be a nice mud on the wall bet for RHS depth on D. I hear there are NHL teams interested. Oilers? He’s a Chiarelli kind of player.

52. season not played says:

Jasmine:
    Rational Zealot,

MacT rivals Tambo for that title.

53. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Yeti:

You’re color blind.

Done gone and mixed up Green and Brown.

54. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The exercise seems to be to recognize scouting success.

I’ve long been an advocate of giving credit for player success in top pro leagues not named NHL. Hard to argue Hartikainen was a bad bet for what he’s accomplished and where he was taken. Looks like a clear success story to me.

55. Kmart99 says:

Hartikainen may be a clear success story, but that depends on your measure.

DSF would say, and in this rare case id agree, that the only successful picks from those late rounds are the verified impact players in the NHL. So over 25 teams fail in each of those late rounds every year.

If the oilers were to end up making the 14th best pick in every round after the first two would that be success? They are making a smarter pick than over half the teams, but never a top pick?

So, not to say that Rieder, Lander, Marincin, Petry, and Eberle count for nothing, but I get the argument that Hartikainen isn’t a clear success story(yet). One of the better picks that round? Yes… A success? Depends on your definition

56. rich says:

commonfan14: Yeah, I really can’t figure this out.MacT and Tambo are universally crapped on for the Gagner/Petry RFA deals that ended a year before they could become UFAs, yet there are people who want to trade significant assets to bring in guys with the same option.

What’s the best-case scenario for such a move?The Boychuck one where we convince a guy to re-signa crazy-long contract to play out his declining years for us at an inflated price?

No thanks.

I realize it’s all fun – and it is LT’s blog, but this is why I just blow right past all the trade ideas here. For the most part, there’s no reality to them.

Player analysis? Love it – it’s about ID’ing talent and the people here have a good eye for the most part.

But some of these trade suggestions – wow, being an NHL GM is just a little bit harder in reality than it is on NHL 15.

57. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Kmart99:
    Hartikainen may be a clear success story, but that depends on your measure.

DSF would say, and in this rare case id agree, that the only successful picks from those late rounds are the verified impact players in the NHL.So over 25 teams fail in each of those late rounds every year.

If the oilers were to end up making the 14th best pick in every round after the first two would that be success?They are making a smarter pick than over half the teams, but never a top pick?

So, not to say that Rieder, Lander, Marincin, Petry, and Eberle count for nothing, but I get the argument that Hartikainen isn’t a clear success story(yet).One of the better picks that round? Yes… A success? Depends on your definition

this is an information poor way to do analysis of a team’ s scouting record.

58. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: Yakupov wants so badly to be part of the solution. I bet on him 10 times out of 10.

This would make a fantastic series. Yakupov. I saw Draisaitl make a few passes to Yaks which made me think they understood one another, but the unlamented former management had other ideas. Assuming Mr. Katz’s excellent culture of keeping the best young players remains intact until training camp, Yakupov + McDavid/ Yakupov+Draisaitl each offer crazy possibilities.

Chiarelli needs to find two excellent defencemen, and a single NHL caliber goalie. Hopefully he knows more than internet analysts and doesn’t have to trade anything major to get it.

59. hunter1909 says:

For the record, MacTavish was incredibly excellent at line matching during the 2006 playoff run.

60. square_wheels says:

SwedishPoster,

It would be so fitting if we brought him over, he impressed, but then in the summer we go whale hunting Seabrook and he goes on to play 600 games of solid hockey.

I’m not at all sarcastically implying we’ve done this before…Jan…cough…Hejda,..cough

61. GCW_69 says:

square_wheels:

Lou really fucked that team, ugly ugly roster.

Lou had made it known he was going to trade a young defender for a scoring forward, but with Shero coming in who knows what they are going to do. I hope Chiarelli is calling and asking about the price for Larsson and for Severson. One of those two would be good. Both are second pair quality now with top pair potential within three years.

I would be offering one of Pittsburgh’s first, Yakupov, and the 2016 as a starting point. Maybe Leon for Larsson.