TOP 20 PROSPECTS (TRADE VALUE EDITION)

The Oilers under Peter Chiarelli will have a different look and feel, one of the first areas we’ll notice is the prospect pile. No matter what anyone says, Chiarelli didn’t draft Bogdan Yakimov and that’s a thing. Such is life. As we get closer to draft day, it’s important to take stock of the prospect group and find the range for tradeable assets. We’ve been all over the draft picks and their value (especially No. 16 and No. 33) but is there anything of value Chiarelli could use down on the farm or in junior, college or Minsk?

Since we’re in that window where Oiler news isn’t flowing (!!!!), I’ve decided to update the current top 20. I would ordinarily do this in the week before draft day (and then slot in the picks) but I finished it last week so might as well share.

UPDATED TOP 20, SPRING 2015 (PRE-DRAFT)

(Winter ranking in brackets, comments around trade value and wisdom of using them as assets).

1. (1) C Leon Draisaitl. A strange year but he’s shown a lot since getting sent back to junior. Idiotic decision to keep him in the NHL aside, it’s been a good year for the German. Interesting to hear the Habs moan about not being able to find a big center. I know Chiarelli needs assets to acquire help, but he can’t trade LD. He’s a keeper.
  2. (2) D Darnell Nurse. The Oilers future on blue, it’s just a matter of when he arrives. My guess is early—EARLY—in the season. Big, strong, mobile and he’s got a mean streak. He’ll be a star in Edmonton for a long, long time. He’s a keeper.
  3. (4) C Bogdan Yakimov. Big center impressed like crazy during training camp and early in pre-season but he was struggling to post crooked numbers in the AHL at the start (9GP, 1-1-2). After that, it was 48GP, 11-15-26 and he hit his stride in the final 13 games (6-6-12) before injury ended his year. MacT wouldn’t trade him ever, I expect, but Chiarelli may find that teams are interested. Remember who drafted him.
  4. (5) W Iiro Pakarinen. Underrated signing by MacT, he showed extremely well in both pro leagues. On his first goal in the NHL: “I don’t even remember. I was a little bit shocked. It was so fast of a situation. I jumped on the ice and the rebound was there and I tried to shoot as hard as I can.” Source He is absolutely expendable but hasn’t built enough value to be considered a cashable asset. He could also catch on with the Oilers and play five years here.
  5. (6) R Greg Chase. Gritty forward who had a strange start to the season in Calgary and ended up getting traded to better weather because of it. Began the season 15GP, 2-13-15, then finished 36GP, 18-16-34. He’s an excellent pro prospect, there are things to learn and he’ll get that chance in OKC. We should be patient with him and set his time line at three minor league seasons. If he beats it? Music! Doesn’t have high trade value at this point, that’s going to be decided in the future.
  6. (9) C Kyle Platzer. Emerged as a genuine NHL prospect in his final junior year. Began the season 24GP 9-20-29, then went 44GP, 25-27-52, before posting three points in four AHL games at the end of the regular season. This is from a player who had a two-way reputation on draft day. Very important not to overreact to a final junior season, but he appears to be a really good prospect. Like Chase, he will build his resume and the trade value would be low at this time.
  7. (16) G Laurent Brossoit. Tremendous step forward in one season, his .918SP in OKC included some wonderful performances. His NHL debut was splendid, a .961 SP in front of a tough support blue. He’s still developing but after two AHL seasons Brossoit appears to be on track as a future NHL option. The Oilers are razor thin in net so he’s not tradeable, but the value doesn’t warrant a deal either. Still writing his resume, but this season pops off the page.
  8. (17) L Anton Slepyshev. A big development season for the scoring winger. Began the KHL season 39GP 5-7-12, then posted 19GP, 10-3-13 and forced his way up the depth chart. There were rumors he was going to sign with Edmonton a couple of weeks ago, but Chiarelli may have different ideas about him. As with Yakimov, Chiarelli may find teams are interested. Remember who drafted him.
  9. (14) D Joey Laleggia. Quality offensive defenseman at the NCAA level, he was 14GP, 6-6-12 to start at Denver and then finished 23GP, 9-19-28. He’s an exciting talent, people say he can play defense and now we’ll see. Remains a long shot but the truth is he was a long shot to get a pro contract and we are here. Doesn’t have established trade value.
  10. (11) C Marco Roy. Two-way center on a deep team, Roy had posted strong numbers (22GP, 15-10-25) early and closed 37GP, 11-14-25, a downward trend. He recovered in the playoffs but was injured after a fine start. Guy Flaming of the Pipeline Show tweeted out last night about Roy: “he’s back skating and SHOULD be cleared to play in Memorial Cup.” Unsigned, but he might have some value in a trade for a team looking to add a prospect center so Chiarelli may find teams are interested although the return would not be significant. I’m hopeful the Oilers sign Roy, although his career looks eerily similar to Marc Pouliot’s.
  11. (NR) G Eetu Laurikainen. This signing was badly needed and Laurikainen’s immediate ranking reflects the low (current) quality of the prospect stable. It’s a legit ranking, a .933SP in any league is eye-popping, and the SM-Liiga is a good pro league. We’ll have to see, and he won’t have trade value yet, but this was a nice signing. I wonder if the analytics guys were helpful in this add, seems to me a math whiz would have a hard time finding a free agent goalie from a good league with a better ‘previous employmer’ reference.
  12. (7) C Jujhar Khaira. The concern for Khaira (and many of the Oilers forwards who have size) is offense and that continues to be a distant bell at this time. Began the year 13GP, 1-2-3 and then finished 38GP, 3-4-7. In the playoffs, Khaira is 3-1-4 in 6GP but we need to invoke the small sample size clause. Doesn’t have established trade value.
  13. (8) D Dillon Simpson. Offense will never be his calling card, he began 20GP, 2-3-5 and then went 51GP, 1-11-12 to close the season. His progress based on anecdotal evidence suggests this season has been uneven, but he is one of five Barons defensemen who have played in all eight playoff games this spring. Building trade value.
  14. (29) R Andrew Miler. Sign. College. Players. A really good season has Miller in position to have an NHL career. Seriously. Massive spike in performance year over year in the AHL was followed by a very effective 9-game stint in the NHL. He should be in the mix this fall and the new coach could take a liking to a forward who does a lot of things right, has speed and can play with skilled men. Low trade value, still building.
  15. (10) R Tyler Pitlick. He went 17GP, 2-0-2 in his second NHL season, but injuries have derailed him. The Oilers under MacTavish gave his job to Rob Klinkhammer for next season (when signing him to a contract). He may get another chance this fall, but (ahem) remember who drafted him. Pitlick is now a complete orphan, with the men in power at this time of his draft (Tambellini, MacGregor) outside the decision room. There’s a chance Chiarelli may find teams are interested although the return may not be much.
  16. (15) D William Lagesson. Interesting defender with a reputation for physical play and coverage skills began the season with an offensive surge. He was 25GP, 1-11-12, then went 27GP, 1-3-4 to end the season. He is one of a few ‘physical’ shut down prospects in the system and has the size/speed combination to succeed. No significant trade value at this time.
  17. (21) D Brandon Davidson. Slow and steady wins the race. I was surprised to see him perform so well when he got an NHL chance, faster, more mobile and more efficient than you’d expect from a first time callup. It is vitally important we don’t project Davidson where he doesn’t belong—he is going to be a depth defenseman if he has an NHL career—but it’s also true that three pro seasons into his career Davidson has passed a few higher picks. Low trade value, all NHL teams have players of this type.
  18. (22) D Jordan Oesterle. Sign. College. Players. I don’t know if he’s going to be an NHL player but he’s a fast train. Oesterle has some gaps defensively, we saw them at the NHL level. Still, great bet. He played well in the AHL, moving up the depth chart during the season and playing a feature role in the playoffs. A prospect to follow next season. Low trade value, still building.
  19. (36) L Josh Winquist. I’m not sure they’re going to sign him to an NHL contract, but I sure as hell would do it. If you’ve ‘seen him good’ down in OKC then you know he can be a tremendously effective player at that level. Smart player, really good at finding seams and making the right play. No trade value at all, but I’m a fan.
  20. (20) D Brad Hunt. There’s just too much here. I know he’s chaotic defensively in the NHL and hell Hunt may never have a career in the big leagues, but the AHL is a helluva league and he’s crazy good there. I’d absolutely keep him in the system and see if the new coach can find a role for him, hell McLellan might make him a PP God for all we know. Chiarelli may find teams are interested  because what he does well is very difficult to accomplish.

There isn’t much in terms of trade value here, at least not much Chiarelli can trade without badly hurting Edmonton’s future up the middle. I count Bogdan Yakimov, Anton Slepyshev, Marco Roy, Tyler Pitlick and Brad Hunt as holding some value, with only the two Russians being significant assets. I do think an NHL team may come calling for Yakimov in trade and that Chiarelli—looking at a future depth chart of McDavid, Nuge and Leon—might be open to dealing him.

A quick note on the list: With so many (10) selections in a deep draft, there’s a good chance the last four or five names here won’t appear on the list I produce the morning after the draft is over. It’s interesting then to look at these players and their progress over the last year. Josh Winquist, Jordan Oesterle and others are nice stories, and despite being well down the prospect list it’s important to acknowledge a strong season.

21-30

• No. 21: D Ben Betker.
  • No. 22: L Curtis Hamilton
  • No. 23: L Mitch Moroz
  • No. 24: D David Musil
  • No. 25: D Martin Gernat
  • No. 26: F Tyler Vesel
  • No. 27: R Jackson Houck
  • No. 28: G Zach Nagelvoort
  • No. 29: F Kellen Jones
  • No. 30: L Kale Kessy

152 Responses to "TOP 20 PROSPECTS (TRADE VALUE EDITION)"

1. v4ance says:

It saddens me to see Gernat so far down the list. We all have favorites that we adopt for random reasons and I was really hoping that Gernat would find a way to succeed with the Oilers. At this point, he’s a longshot and fading behind other horses in the org with more candidates coming in right around the corner at the draft.

Still. Gonna be rooting for him to find the spark that catches the eye of the new regime.

Or I’m gonna find some new favorites to adopt ….

Surprised you have Moroz over Musil seeing as the latter showed ok in a limited NHL debut and Moroz may never get a cup of coffee.

Was that due to him being scratched for Nurse?

3. oliveoilers says:

I’d like hear people’s theories on how we’re supposed to get better without:

1) Trading anybody of value

2) Signing expensive free agents of note

3) Waiting years for developing players while the current crop grow old and die

4) Taking massive gambles that somebodies else’s failing player for trade/ufa will have a rebound year

If you guys could clear that up for me, that’d be grrrreaaat, yah. (Office Space)

Seriously though peeps, we WILL have to make a deal that we will not like. Pick your poison.

4. edmoil3 says:

Only LD, Nurse and Larry Crousaint make me excited. Hopefully that changes down the line with PC in the big chair

5. oliveoilers says:

oliveoilers,

I know, how about we tank and get a slew of #1 picks!

Now to find a management team stupid enough to implement my plan.

Anybody know one?

6. pocession charge says:

That Marc Bergevin press conference was excellent. He is so forthright about his team and managing in the NHL. A few salient points that really stood out for me:

It is nearly impossible to trade for an established top center — it would cost them Carey Price.

Alex Galchenyuk is not a center — even Sarnia recognized that and played him on the wing in his final junior season.

Most of the fans’ trade proposals are impossible to execute — his Playstation line was funny.

Everyone wants a big, skilled center — they have more value than any other player type.

v4ance:
    It saddens me to see Gernat so far down the list.We all have favorites that we adopt for random reasons and I was really hoping that Gernat would find a way to succeed with the Oilers.At this point, he’s a longshot and fading behind other horses in the org with more candidates coming in right around the corner at the draft.

Still.Gonna be rooting for him to find the spark that catches the eye of the new regime.

Or I’m gonna find some new favorites to adopt….

Yeah, me too. Gernat has another year and there will be a new coaching staff, so maybe if he trains like a demon we’ll see him on the rise. He was among my favorite Oil Kings, hope he lands somewhere good if he goes.

8. sliderule says:

In order of importance.
    One .draft Mcdavid
    Two Sign a real nhl coach.
    Three Sign two goalies who can post sv of .915
    Four Sign or trade one or two defencemen without seling the homestead

Woodguy:

Was that due to him being scratched for Nurse?

10. flyfish1168 says:

pocession charge:
    That Marc Bergevin press conference was excellent.He is so forthright about his team and managing in the NHL.A few salient points that really stood out for me:

oliveoilers:
    I’d like hear people’s theories on how we’re supposed to get better without:

1)Trading anybody of value

2)Signing expensive free agents of note

3)Waiting years for developing players while the current crop grow old and die

4)Taking massive gambles that somebodies else’s failing player for trade/ufa will have a rebound year

If you guys could clear that up for me, that’d be grrrreaaat, yah.(Office Space)

Seriously though peeps, we WILL have to make a deal that we will not like.Pick your poison.

12. Bar_Qu says:

oliveoilers:
    I’d like hear people’s theories on how we’re supposed to get better without:

1)Trading anybody of value

2)Signing expensive free agents of note

3)Waiting years for developing players while the current crop grow old and die

I think Chia may go off our board for his solutions. Honestly. I think he doesn’t leak as much information as past management groups do, so the lack of chatter coming from reliable sources inside the organization is encouraging.

Leaves us all to spitball wildly (I love the Spurgeon speculation) which makes this time of year manageable for fans of teams outside the playoffs.

13. admiralmark says:

Lowetide: I think the picks at No. 16 and No. 33 are big assets and also believe Martin Marincin will have substantial value. Nail Yakupov is probably vulnerable and Justin Schultz could go too. Matt Hendricks would be of interest to some teams, as will next seasons first and second round selections.

14. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

oliveoilers:
    I’d like hear people’s theories on how we’re supposed to get better without:

1)Trading anybody of value

2)Signing expensive free agents of note

3)Waiting years for developing players while the current crop grow old and die

If a better deal is available great, but I’ll be surprised if a team solves it’s cap problems with an older currently elite player or elite youth.

If that’s not available why trade anyone special?

Bohologo:
    LT, you have been blogging about the Oilers for some time.You often note that you have learned much during the course of this time. Is there anything in particular you have learned?

Speaking strictly for myself, the more astute commentary on this blog has given me a more nuanced view of what’s happening on the ice: who is starting in which end? who is matching up against whom? what is the separation between what I am seeing and what the data shows?

I am old enough to be somewhat, mildly, occasionally resistant to change, so these challenges to long-held assumptions are both valuable and welcome.

The value of the headman pass, something I knew, has been proven even more. Get good players, keep good players, never put young players in a position to fail and leave them there.

I’ve learned the value of veterans is far more than my blog properly reflects, I’ve learned even smart people can be wrong about prospects and I’ve learned that having your heart broken in G7 SCF takes more than 10 years to recover from.

Other things too! :-)

16. pocession charge says:

flyfish1168: Shows how important Leon is and that is why I would not trade him unless we are getting something VERY significant and can be part of the core and a high draft picks.

Exactly. I wouldn’t trade him at this point unless the return was an established impact player. Seeing how unlikely that is to happen, the team is much better off to keep and develop him. I’d love to see a Sobotka type come in and help insulate McDavid and Draisaitl.

admiralmark: If #16, #33, Marincin, Schultz, Yakupov turn into Shattenkirk, Talbot, Spurgeon, and Ward. I’d be one happy camper. Feasible?

No idea, but I love it!

18. flyfish1168 says:

I know you have reported that this years draft picks maybe vulnerable. But are you in favor of using them as trading pieces. i know I am not. I feel these are going to be important in the CAP world down the road if we want to sustain years of playoff run. We want to keep and develop a new core of players filling postilions 4-9 in 5 to 7 years out.

19. flyfish1168 says:

pocession charge: Exactly.I wouldn’t trade him at this point unless the return was an established impact player.Seeing how unlikely that is to happen, the team is much better off to keep and develop him.I’d love to see a Sobotka type come in and help insulate McDavid and Draisaitl.

He maybe just as important as McJesus do to his age and if we can keep RNH 5 years from now due to the CAP world. I like to see us sustain PO hockey like the Wings and that means keeping and developing players. Hall and Ebs may not be part of the core in 4-5 years and maybe sooner.

20. oliveoilers says:

Lowetide: Oh God, I’ve learned a ton. The value of save percentage, the value of ZS information, the value of EV scorers, the value of centermen and defensemen and goaltenders. The value of a coach, the value of waiting five years, the value of internal roster solutions over external roster solutions.

Other things too!

Holy crap! It’s a shame certain former executives of a certain hockey team didn’t learn these lessons.

Though, as somebody has rightly pointed out, if they had, there would be no McDavid. They were correct when they said they wanted to build a perennial contender.

Do the ends justify the meats?

21. Richard S.S. says:

Depending on when Chiarelli decides to go after the #1 Stud D the Team (great might be required) needs, depends on who he needs. Pick’ #16 (with this draft, possibly a #7-#10 prospect value) and #33 (possibly an early- to mid-20s prospect value) are of better significance than any other pick that might be offered, including next years 1st and 2nd round picks. Martin Marincin, Nail Yakupov and Justin Schultz might not be the right stuff or just not might be right. The second Defenseman needs to be good, (great is not required ) but need not be more than a one year acquisition. But if longer he must be better. Goaltenders are unpredictable at best, so getting someone average will not hurt. I fully believe that with Scrivens and Fasth just being average last year, it could have meant slight playoff chances for this team, and being just average defensively or better from everyone would have meant playoffs for sure.

22. admiralmark says:

Rip Fan Winkle “OilOnslaught”: The Oilers will become much better by simply replacing weak players with league average. A top pairing of competent players as opposed to guys drowning and a .920 goalie revolutionizes the Oilers.

If that’s not available why trade anyone special?

I think that ultimately this is what seperates the average GM from the championship building GM. The situation facing the Oilers is they currently hold a few established high value players, a ton of potentially high value players in Yak, Drai, Marincin, and Nurse but have yet to reach their ceiling in value, and lastly a bunch of valuable Draft picks in #16, #33, #55(?) and 2016’s 1st. In order for a GM to comfortably move any of these prospects he is going to need to of established what he feels is going to be their ultimate level. Good smart bets based on proficient assessments of these players future abilities. Something I was wholly uncomfortable with when MacT was GM.

At this early in Chiarelli’s tenure I think it’s safe to assume he’s needing to rely a bit more on existing information on the current players. Not sure how good that is if he’s aiming to pull off a blockbuster between now and July. But it does lay credence to the idea Marincin is likely involved. Especially with MacT still whispering in Chairelli’s ear.

Ward is garbage.

You can get much better goalies for free.

Love the other players you mentioned.

24. square_wheels says:

pocession charge,

We could argue all day on here, but we may already have that player on a extreme value deal in Lander. Im all for adding depth because Gordon has some hard miles on him and if he faulters this year we could really use that interchangeable 2/3 C.

Shawn Matthias checks a bunch of boxes, so does Sobotka.

Is there any vet C’s that could move to the right side once the Purcell contract goes away to act as the high slot, backcheck coverage for McD and Hall ?

Connor changes everything, someone is dying to be his Kunitz. Maybe that’s Pou ?

But first we need D, lots of them.

25. square_wheels says:

Woodguy,

Think he meant Joel ! And yes, Cam is now a backup.

26. Pouzar says:

square_wheels:
    Woodguy,

Think he meant Joel ! And yes, Cam is now a backup.

Joed Ward is a UFA.

27. Snowman says:

I think next summer is the summer to really push to get miles better. This summer I think we see a couple of D added, a G of some note and that’s about it. I think Schultz may have numbered days here (definitely doesn’t fit with Chia’s commentary about wanting to play harder) and MM may suffer the same fate. So I think Chia goes to market with MM, Schultz, # 16 this year and our second rounders and our first next year. Should be able to add a couple significant pieces.

28. square_wheels says:

Pouzar,

I was just shocked outta my shorts Cam’s name crept into any discussion!

29. Hammers says:

Why let 16 go . This year that spot is like a top ten . Use it as in 2-4 years we will see any of Ebs , Hall even RNH traded . This team if built right can be a playoff power house in 2-3 years that may last for ten years . Now is the time to think this out especially when we have 2 mini groups . Names not needed but the age groups are the 21 and under and 22 and over groups.

30. rickithebear says:

57gm 12G 16A 28P +7

Yakimov Struggle:
    Moroz-Yakimov-Ewanyk

Good Yakimov:
    Early in Year:
    C. hamilton/Miller-Yakimov- Pakarinen/Kessey/Pinizotto
    17gm 6G 9A 15P +6
    end of year:
    C. Hamilton/Stretch/williams-Yakimov-Miller/Ford
    13gm 6G 6A 12P +1

30GM 12G 15A 27P +7

square_wheels:
    Woodguy,

Think he meant Joel ! And yes, Cam is now a backup.

Oh shit, sorry.

I like J. Ward.

Old though, don’t give him term.

32. rickithebear says:

Woodguy: Ward is garbage.

You can get much better goalies for free.

Love the other players you mentioned.

You have to balance who is posting.
    Does that name fit?

33. slopitch says:

LT is it fair to say that if the ranking was “importance to franchise” rather then “trade value” that 1 and 2 would be flipped?

34. raventalon40 says:

flyfish1168: He maybe just as important as McJesus do to his age

This could be something akin to Crosby, Malkin, and Staal.

35. raventalon40 says:

sliderule:
    In order of importance.
    One .draft Mcdavid
    Two Sign a real nhl coach.
    Three Sign two goalies who can post svof .915
    Four Sign or trade one or two defencemen without seling the homestead

I would rank acquiring defense higher than goaltending, as any star goalie we sign would still struggle coming into this lineup unless we improve the D first.

36. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

We are most definitely entering the ‘hockey trades’ phase of our rebuild. There will be value exiting for needs entering. The long cherished standard of balance is the near term goal not asset acquisition. Assets of all sorts have been accumulated they just need to be reshuffled to build a contender.

Timing seems good for setting the stage for meaningful trades. Someone had mentioned before that Chiarelli likes some time to pass to properly acclimatize himself with his wares. I think he does the same going into this season. I also think the combination of cap constraints and the sobering reality for some recent powerhouses that they are post apex in terms of legitimate ability to contend (Boston, Detroit and Vancouver jump to mind), creates some interesting trade opportunities later in this season. There is no need to force timing at the front end of this year. Playoffs are a poor bet this season (possible but not likely), so really use this season and next summer to carefully and mindfully give up what you need to (more time is needed for Chiarelli to get his arms around this) to acquire what is really essential and hope the market factors force some GM’s hand to create trade scenarios that might tilt in our favor. Some franchises are going to choose to enter the rebuild abyss and others are slowly coming out of theirs. These seem like the situations to invest in.

37. square_wheels says:

Woodguy,

He’s in a large group of vet RW’s that can keep pace with McD and Hall. If we are taking this gift of 97’s ELC then we need someone to shelter the duo. Teddy might be our only option cuz of that boat anchor contract.

Balance in our top 9 is going to be as tricky as finding 2 top 4 D. Good news is we have bullets and we dont need it all solved for this year.

38. book¡je says:

oliveoilers:
    I’d like hear people’s theories on how we’re supposed to get better without:

1)Trading anybody of value

2)Signing expensive free agents of note

3)Waiting years for developing players while the current crop grow old and die

Draft Conner McDavid.

You’re welcome.

I can’t believe all you hockey nerds didn’t get that one.

39. stush18 says:

I understand the comparison to the penguins, but honestly, this team teminds me of san jose more.

San jose ran three top line centremen down there lineups with “weaker” wingers, and would cimbine the lines later in the game and on the powerplay. Thats what we have.

They also had a weak defense. That team would have won a cup if they had some depth in that backend. Just like the oilers.

40. raventalon40 says:

square_wheels:
    Woodguy,

I feel that we can move Teddy for another similar contract, but on the blueline. Then if we bought out either Nikitin or Ference, it’d essentially be a windfall of 3 million or so in cash (very rough calculations in my head) or at least close to net zero on the cap hit, but with an extra roster spot opening up.

Among UFA’s in this range are Chris Stewart, Joel Ward, Scottie Upshall, Drew Stafford, Lee Stempniak, Justin Williams.

I prefer the trade route, though, because if we shed salary (I know we might lose some assets as well) it would free us up to compete on the free agent market. This means trading for a Troy Brouwer or a Dustin Byfuglien, who are both guys on their final year of the contract would need a large contract extension in term and money.

Byfuglien is probably a pipe dream given Winnipeg has money to burn, but with all those young RFA’s waiting to get re-signed in Washington, I’d say Brouwer is likely to shake loose!

41. striatic says:

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic: Assets of all sorts have been accumulated they just need to be reshuffled to build a contender.

I disagree.

There is not enough or arguably no forward talent bubbling under at the AHL level, beyond maybe Draisaitl next year. the Oilers have adequate forward depth, not excess.

Now, if Yakupov and Draisaitl improve, then there will be actual excess depth and a position of strength to deal from, but right now all there is, is potential, and potential doesn’t have nearly the same value as depth.

The team is still asset acquisition mode. The horizon is clearly visible but not quite here yet.

42. square_wheels says:

Dreger just tweeted the obvious, but when it happens I’m 2/3 from being a contempt fan independent of anything else not named McDavid.

This still doesn’t feel real.

43. bobinyvr says:

I see Draisaitl, Nurse and maybe Brossoit as untradeable from this prospect list, along with Klefbom.

If it weren’t for so many years of losing and mismanagement fans would have seen Draisaitl’s MVP run in the playoffs as a great accomplishment and be very bullish about his future. He is the big center the Oilers need going forward (as McDavid’s sidekick of course).

I don’t see McDavid being capable of making a huge impact (i.e. playoffs) in his first year. I don’t see the Oilers making the playoffs next year no matter what Chairelli does – just too many holes.

Realistically aim for the playoffs in two years not next year.

Consider the “core” has never learned (or experienced) winning yet and will have had their 4th or 5th coach in as many years.

Hire McLellan. Fill as many holes as possible with free agency, picks and marginal prospects.
    And get incrementally better … aim for meaningful games in February or March.

So sadly, I think the plan should be for 2015-2016 season to be a “development” year.

44. square_wheels says:

striatic,

And signing Slepy could drastically improve the wing. A homegrown RW that can slide up/down the top 3 starboard slots is a need. Assuming he’s not the typical Russian rht shot that must play LW.

45. rickithebear says:

My first UFA target is Beagle.
    Who was WSH best PK forward
    10-11 to 12-13
    little used13-14 to 14-15
    56% FO%

46. alberta bound edmonton says:

47. raventalon40 says:

alberta bound edmonton: Trade Dri for Seth Jones and a 4th this year. Trade 16 and 57 and NN to Toronto for phaneuf and bernier.

I think you’re overvaluing Draisaitl and Nikitin a little bit

48. raventalon40 says:

square_wheels:
    striatic,

I don’t think signing Slepyshev would help at all. We should be hiring veteran hands for those extra spots, not auditioning more Hail Mary rookies.

It’s time to give Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov, McDavid more of a SUPPORTING cast.

49. square_wheels says:

raventalon40,

I’m signing Slepy to prep for the future not placing him in an inevitable position to ride pine playing with plugs. He needs to dominate a season or 2 of AHL hockey first.

100% agree, wingers that can still skate are always sold at the deadline if their contracts are reasonable.

50. raventalon40 says:

stush18:

You just described the Pittsburgh model to a tee.

51. raventalon40 says:

square_wheels:
    raventalon40,

In terms of adding depth and skill, I totally agree with you!

52. striatic says:

square_wheels,

Slepyshev is stil a “Hail Mary Rookie” as raven puts it.

Once you get to a place where you have young AHL dominant players ready to move into vacated slots you can start vacating spots for balance, but not before.

53. etownman says:

I was really sad to see Kessy’s season cut short because of injuries this past season. He had really shown improvement in managing his game & I still think he’ll be an option for a fourth line energy guy who can kill penalties. He’s an excellent skater with obvious aggressive instincts. Lot’s of people have written him off but I think he’ll come back & prove people wrong.

54. Woogie63 says:

Since the lottery, and PC this team’s legend has gained alot of momentum without playing a game.

We still have too many holes to fill in one year, no coach, one goale, and a new younger cluster forming.

MacT said another development year ….which is hard to hear, but probably right.

McDavid, Nurse, Draisaitl, Slepshev will make the team at some point next year, but will be average NHLer in 2015/16.

Scrivens, Hall, Lander, Pitlick, Pakarinen, Klefbom, Shultz, Yakupov all has something to prove this year.

That is 12/20 players and the balance of the line up is not rock solid.

Free Agency and a trade or two is not going to fix this next year.

55. sumaclab says:

LD is the center all 29 other GM’s will be making calls on after we draft Mcdavid. Seth Jones and Morgan Reilly would look good on our blueine.
    How nice would OEL look on our blueline..Especially after how good he and Klefbom looked together at the WHC.I’d sell my left arm for that deal. LD plus Pitts 16th for OEL. In a heartbeat.

I tell you all that LD’s value will skyrocket after this years MEM Cup.The KR will win the CUP and LD’s status will go from prospect to stud.

PC will have plenty of lines in the water looking to upgrade the d corps and the goaltending.

Would LD and Pitts 16th get you Marc Staal and Talbot?

56. square_wheels says:

striatic,

Violently agree. Need this draft to add those bullets, RW’s , RH centres and dmen are gold. Lowetide has identified several really good players.

And don’t misread Right shots as a draft priority, always BPA.

57. square_wheels says:

sumaclab,

It would but it had better get us Krieder as well

And possibly a truckload of supermodels.

58. etownman says:

Curtis Hamilton should be re-signed as well in my opinion. Big body, good skater who plays the right way. Seems to be healthier this year but worth a 1 year contract extension.

59. HiddenDarts says:

etownman:
    Curtis Hamilton should be re-signed as well in my opinion.Big body, good skater who plays the right way.Seems to be healthier this year but worth a 1 year contract extension.

Doesn’t make any sense at all. These are the kind of players you have to let go. Given the choice between him and Pitlick, I sign Pitlick. Given the choice to sign neither player, I take it.

60. Bails14 says:

Do we have a list of prospects that MacT cleared out to make room for his guys? Might be interesting to compare and predict who among the current prospect list is safe. I wonder if there’s a trend in how many position players to are kept, aside from just keeping the best, whenever a new GM takes over.

61. LadiesloveSmid says:

raventalon40: To be honest I think Scrivens is a very capable 1B or backup given proper defending.

I think Scrivens’ confidence is shot, like Dubnyk’s was. And I don’t believe Dubnyk would have bounced back in Edmonton, not sure if Scrivens can.

I’d be more comfortable with 2 new goalies to start fresh with unless you get a 60 game goalie and you can guarantee 40 games won’t be on Scrivens

rickithebear: You have to balance who is posting.
    Does that name fit?

Not sure what you mean here rtb

raventalon40: You just described the Pittsburgh model to a tee.

Until PIT traded Staal and never sniffed the Cup again.

64. Klima's_Bucket says:

What is the harm in cutting Norris free and signing Mike Green for the PP and offensive zone starts instead?

65. misfit says:

Chiarelli said himself that he was an Eastern Conference guy and his knowledge of the Oilers olayers wasn’t great in his opening press conference. One would imagine that would also be true of other WC teams. That might be something to keep in mind when discussing potential trade targets Ciarelli might have his eye on.

This link shows every trade Chiarelli has made as an NHL GM, and the overwhelming majority of his moves that saw players coming in were with other EC teams. He did trade a fair bit with WC teams but mostly he received picks and prospects in return. Two of the players he got from the West were ex-Senators (Redden from STL and Bochenski from CHI). He traded for Jagr from Dallas, but it was Jagr…the book was out on that player, I imagine. Ditto for Iginla, though that trade didn’t go through.

So I could definitely see Seabrook being a target (he’s a big name and there’s also a Hockey Canada connection there), but I’d say if we see any trades for NHL players this offseason, it’ll likely be out of the EC.

66. RPG says:

Possession stats for the 4/87/14 line must be through the roof.

67. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I’ve been thinking about LD’s year. I watched a lot of WHL hockey this year, and I’m comfortable suggesting that if he had been sent down, Prince Albert would have been comfortably in the playoffs. They would ultimately have kept him and Morrisey, made it past the first round, and lost to a better club like Brandon.

I think it’s so much better that he went to Kelowna, and it never would have happened without him staying in the NHL. I think, from a development standpoint, there’s a chance MacT made the right call.

68. raventalon40 says:

Wow, what a backcheck by Hall on that one. He was hauling ass on the end of that shift.

flyfish1168: I know you have reported that this years draft picks maybe vulnerable. But are you in favor of using them as trading pieces. i know I am not. I feel these are going to be important in the CAP world down the road if we want to sustain years of playoff run.We want to keep and develop a new core of players filling postilions 4-9 in 5 to 7 years out.

70. gd says:

This is a great hockey game. This is the Olympics, if Canada doesn’t have Price and the greatest D ever assembled.

71. book¡je says:

raventalon40:

I think you mean brooding

72. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

sumaclab:

Would LDand Pitts 16th get you Marc Staaland Talbot?

In a New York minute because it is such an overpay

The OIlers have to make hay now. They have two years to convince McDavid to sign an 8-year contract. If they wait till his entry level expires, the third year, the Maple Leafs (or someone) will offer a 4-year Max offer sheet to make sure he is a UFA at 25, even if the Oilers match. In two years, McDavid decides whether he is an Oiler till he is 25 or till he is 29.

The moves this summer have to be bold. Jared Spurgeon is not bold. The Oilers need two new D who can break a cycle and make a good first pass. If they come with more tools offensively than that, all the better. But that is NOT Jared Spurgeon or Cody Franson.

So if the draft picks have to go to get those two new D and a goaltender, they have to go. McDavid is getting Max salary in 3 years anyway. It is GAME ON for Chiarelli.

There are a handful of NHL defensemen for which I would trade Draisaitl. Those D are very unlikely to be available so Draisaitl is pretty safe. (i.e. Ekman-Larsson, Seth Jones, Roman Josi, Ekblad, Trouba, McDonagh)

I’d trade Yakupov in a deal for the right goaltender, but it would probably have to be Yakupov plus for a goaltender and a D.

74. Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker) says:

I think we all see the same holes, but not the same needs if that makes sense. It is important that the team is competitive next year, but pushing too hard now will narrow the window for us. If Nurse and Draisaitl can be in the AHL for most of the year, that would give us another rfa year, which could be massive. Both will likely push for roster spots, but IMO, we need to make it as hard on them as possible.

That would mean keeping purcell as possible 3-4 line, probably holding onto klink, and going after another wing. This wing is ideally a C. His timeline can be mid range, as purcell probably is gone after this year, and klink could disappear anytime. We can spend a little bit here, but contract has to be in 3-4 year range. You know who would look real good here? Perron. Lesson in how the oilers are constantly chasing after the player they just traded.

Goaltending needs a long term solution. Talbot could be that, but is likely expensive. Goalies are hard to predict, and I would prefer picking up one of those reasonable starters like Neuvirth, and hoping for the best. Talbot WILL be available next summer if he stays a ranger. At that point we could go all in on him. Sad about Josh Harding, he would be perfect. Haven’t looked too much at him, but I’ll float the name Greiss out there. Neuvirth, Greiss might be a solid be that one grabs the reins, but that leaves Scrivens on the roster. Maybe you make scrivens BTO (expensive though)

Defence is the other big problem. We need 2-3 players, and have to make some disappear. I’m sure you could trade Julltz for a decent piece, and Ference could probably disappear for a mid round pick. Probably stuck with Nikitin, but it’s better than buying him out. Klef, Fayne and Marincin are the guys we have who are NHL players, and are top 4 going forward if not already. Trick here is there is light, it’s just a few years off. Klef Nurse could be a bonfide top pair. Marincin Fayne are probably already a decent middle pair. The way I see it we need 2 guys who can bridge top pair for 1 year, and be let go within 3 years. If you want to look at a Seabrook, you have the problem of renewing him, which will cost big dollars. Ideally we want most of our D on cheaper RFA deals during the next McDavid contract, and at the very least have the flexibility to open space. That’s why I would target some of the other guys on 3 year deals. Theres quite a few guys who I think can bridge like that, even if age is becoming a factor. So I would grab two guys like Sekera and Martin. I would then sign one more D cheaply like Irwin who could stick with the core if he is good enough. Only like a 2year deal on him though.

The draft picks this year are really important. If we draft dmen in the first and second rounds, we might have a really good timeline there. Looking at somewhere in the 3-4 year range. 16 could reasonably be a value contract in 2018, and a top 3D in 2019. A Roy or Kylington could even be there at 33.

I think we have to hold our water this year. A time will come where trading picks and players is necessary, but we have to make sure we are ready to compete first. Draisaitl, Nurse,Klef, CMD, Yak are parts of the core that still are developing. They aren’t far from being the players we need them to be, but they aren’t there yet. First priority has to be making sure we can lock down our core. Big names like Seabrook, and shipping out cheap players (draft picks) will hurt us when that time comes.

75. AZOIL says:

Everyone says this but remember the stats Father John showed about goalies that showed our defense was actially league avg. and our goaltending was the worst!!! I think we need both but a goalie is the top of my list!

Bails14:

Harski, Fedun, Arco, Rajala, Gustafsson. Wildly unfair in a way, Arco was an Oiler because MacT re-signed him.

Klima’s_Bucket:

The Oilers need D who can break a cycle and make a good pass more than they need offensive d-men. If those D come with offensive skills too, all the better. But that is NOT Mike Green.

78. raventalon40 says:

book¡je: I think you mean brooding

My mistake!

79. Pouzar says:

godot10: The Oilers need D who can break a cycle and make a good pass more than they need offensive d-men.If those D come with offensive skills too, all the better. But that is NOT Mike Green.

agreed.

80. steveb12344 says:

Brent Burns?

81. Pouzar says:

steveb12344: Brent Burns?

yes please

82. steveb12344 says:

Pouzar: yes please

As far s 30 year old RHD’s go, I’d prefer him to Seabrook.

83. Cahoon says:

Man that Tyler Ennis is so dreamy right now.

84. steveb12344 says:

Cahoon:
    Man that Tyler Ennis is so dreamy right now.

He kinda looks like a young Petr Klima.

85. Cahoon says:

steveb12344,

He does, good comparison.

86. SwedishPoster says:

Have to say I like this fwd group for Canada more than the one you guys brought to the olympics less defensively responsible but also more dynamic than the safe bunch in Sochi.
    The D is obviously not close to the Sochi.

87. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

Cahoon:
    Man that Tyler Ennis is so dreamy right now.

You could say that this is some kind of dreamy teamy.

88. stush18 says:

Meanwhile klef, marincin, nurse, and fayne can play decent or project to play well against the cycle.

Puck moving skills cannot be taught. You can teach a dman proper positioning to break cycles.

89. stush18 says:

steveb12344: As far s 30 year old RHD’s go, I’d prefer him to Seabrook.

Id rather have seabrook, assuming the cost was equal. He is a bit steadier on defense i think. Not quite as good of puck mover i think

90. Cahoon says:

stush18,

I disagree when people say that cerebral skills cannot be taught, if you can’t teach something that is technique based and in your head, what can you teach?

91. Магия 10 says:

SwedishPoster:
    The D is obviously not close to the Sochi.

Toews, Perry, Getzlaf, Stamkos, Tavares would not hurt any. BUT yeah the last few years have matured another cycle of offensive dynamos.

92. SwedishPoster says:

Магия 10,

Yeah fantastic bunch of players still in the playoffs and they would obviously improve the team but I’m not sure it would be more entertaining nor dynamic.

93. Rondo says:

Cahoon:
    Man that Tyler Ennis is so dreamy right now.

A more relevant comparison is Travis Konecny

94. Klima's_Bucket says:

steveb12344: He kinda looks like a young Petr Klima.

Long Live Klima and his infamous bucket!!

95. Dashingsilverfox says:

Anaheim might be a good place to look for a blue chip young D.

Their under 25 depth is ridiculous.

Fowler – 23

Depres – 23

Vatanen -23

Manson – 23

Lindholm – 21

Shea Theodore – 19 (22G 79P in the WHL)

I have no idea what it would take to pry one of those guys out of there but the quality of those players is underlined by the fact that James Wisniewski, Korbinian Holzer and Mark Fistric are all healthy scratches for the Ducks today.

96. Магия 10 says:

SwedishPoster:
    Магия 10,

nice to see this group of players ascending for 2018. And the coach may very well have a chance in a few days to get the most out of an oilers team that also needs to exploit ofensive possession.

97. stush18 says:

Cahoon:
    stush18,

That may very well be the case, yet we have countless examples of players who couldnt learn, and hot shuffled out of the league.

Maybe they can be taught, but they still generally have to learn the defensive positioning too. Combining that with having to teach them to transition the puck, and i think id rather have mike green.

I suspect thats why greens defense has improved so much, and why the 300 game mark is a good rule.

98. Pouzar says:

steveb12344: As far s 30 year old RHD’s go, I’d prefer him to Seabrook.

a few less miles on the defensive odometer for sure.

99. striatic says:

I would love, love if the Oilers were able to acquire Couturier somehow, even if it meant sending Draisaitl away.

Player has so many tools.

100. VanOil says:

Todd McLellan hockey has long been entertaining and successful. He is welcome to fly directly to Edmonton this evening.

stush18: The oilers need dmen who can pass the puck, and quickly start a the transistion attack. Noone but maybe klef can do that.

I said the Oilers need two D who can break the cycle AND MAKE A GOOD PASS. The Oilers already have D who can transition the attack well. Klefbom, Nurse, Marincin, Schultz.

Fayne is decent enough at breaking the cycle and making the first pass.

Marincin and Schultz aren’t so good at breaking the cycle. Neither is Ference or Nikitin.

One is forcing your two best (potential) D (Klefbom and Nurse) to concentrate on defense, and not develop their complete game if one acquires non-cycle breakers like Franson and Spurgeon and Green.

The main requirements of the two D the Oilers need are 1) the ability to break the cycle and 2) the ability to pass the puck. 3) if they bring more, all the better.

Too many of you guys are asking for D who mostly replicate Schultz’s skills. More than one Schultz on a hockey team is too many.

The Capitals got better by reducing Green’s role to a 3rd pairing D. Yandle is a 3rd pairing D on the Rangers.

With Osterle and Laleggia signed for next year, it is pointless to bring Hunt back. Hunt is mediocre defensively at the AHL level, and an elite power play specialist. Let him market those skills in Europe or in the AHL.

One would only be impeding the development of Osterle and Laleggia by bringing Hunt back.

103. Pouzar says:

Nail Yakupov ‏@Nail10_1993 8m8 minutes ago
    Well done boys . @ebs_14 @hallsy04

104. square_wheels says:

That Czech models handing out the hardware…..something in the water in that region. Wowzers

105. SwedishPoster says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    Anaheim might be a good place to look for a blue chip young D.

Their under 25 depth is ridiculous.

Fowler – 23

Depres – 23

Vatanen -23

Manson – 23

Lindholm – 21

Shea Theodore – 19 (22G 79P in the WHL)

106. tcho says:

Wow – that was quite a dominating performance by Canada. Closest game was vs. the Czechs, and frankly, Canada seemed to be having an off day and still deserved the win.

107. SwedishPoster says:

Pouzar,

Yak as classy as always. Hall made the all star team.
    Despite losing I saw Belov good, best russian dman and seemed to be constantly on the ice. A shame Eakins killed his spirit, I think there was a player there.

108. VanOil says:

SwedishPoster:
    Pouzar,

Yak as classy as always. Hall made the all star team.

Agreed on all points

109. Pouzar says:

SwedishPoster,

A shame about Belov is right.

110. Pouzar says:

Lindy Ruff sits somewhere in disbelief wondering who the **** Taylor Hall is.

111. tcho says:

Pouzar:
    Lindy Ruff sits somewhere in disbelief wondering who the **** Taylor Hall is.

Nice.

112. hunter1909 says:

Lindy fucking Ruff knows something about winning. No he doesn’t.

Not bad for Taylor Hall – 1st team international all star.

113. Магия 10 says:

Pouzar:
    Nail Yakupov ‏@Nail10_19938m8 minutes ago
    Well done boys . @ebs_14 @hallsy04

spezza, jagr, hall. So Eastern timezone media and dsf may still be clueless but the international media saw hall good.

114. Dashingsilverfox says:

SwedishPoster: Also proof a good D doesn’t have to be a bunch of vets with 300+ games. If there’s enough quality age doesn’t really matter that much.

No argument from me.

Lindholm is playing on the top pair and is only 21.

Their Scouting Director is some guy named Martin Madden….he’s done one hell of a job.

115. Ryan says:

What do you think of Hampus Lindholm?

Every time I watch the Ducks, I’ve seen him good. He looks like an absolute stud.

Obviously both the Vollman and boxcars also love him.

116. hunter1909 says:

SwedishPoster:
    Pouzar,

Yak as classy as always. Hall made the all star team.

Dallas Eakins had the entire team trending toward Belovvian levels of blowing. Genius of MacT to keep Eakin’s and his fabulous hair behind the bench long enough to bring…Mcdavid!! Connor Freaking McDavid!!

117. hunter1909 says:

Магия 10: spezza, jagr, hall. So Eastern timezone mediaand dsf may still be clueless but the international media saw hall good.

Tyler Seguin looked excellent – the debate continues.

118. blainer says:

TMac was the right coach for that team.. Now make it happen with the Oil… Shea Theodore is gonna be unreal in the NHL.. would love the oil to trade for him… Wonder what this team would be like if we had one of our drafts had been Ekblad…. guess we wouldn’t have gotten CMD then.. but he is gonna be a star…Congrats to Ebs and Hall .. what a feeling it must be after the year from hell in Edmonton..

119. haters says:

That’s why you don’t ice a Khl team against a NHL team … What a route

120. Dashingsilverfox says:

hunter1909: Tyler Seguin looked excellent – the debate continues.

Ray Ferarro wondered why Seguin didn’t make the all star team considering he led the tournament in goals scored.

So many great performances though…tough to pick an all star squad.

121. oliveoilers says:

Listened to ESPN broadcast. They LOVED Hall, Ebs and Crosby. Also commenting on their defensive acumen…..

122. SwedishPoster says:

Ryan,

Love him. Crazy smart player. Of all the swedish D being tagged with the Lidström label he is the most similar in style imo(think young Lidström). Not likely to be that good ofc or close to it but good enough in his own right. I think his offense will come together big time aswell

123. Rondo says:

blainer,

Well they can always tank for Jacob Chychrun

124. Dashingsilverfox says:

SwedishPoster:
    Ryan,

Love him. Crazy smart player. Of all the swedish D being tagged with the Lidström label he is the most similar in style imo(think young Lidström). Not likely to be that good ofc or close to it but good enough in his own right. I think his offense will come.

Looks like his offence is already coming around.

2 goals and 7 points so far in the playoffs.

125. Rondo says:

I get it Oilers fans want all the great players in the NHL. Oilers fans have jumped the shark

126. Dashingsilverfox says:

Lindholm with a beautiful stretch pass…another assist.

127. bobinyvr says:

Hallsy and Ebs win Championship with Todd McLellan and the best player of his generation.

How sweet is that? More please.

128. hunter1909 says:

Rondo: Oilers fans have jumped the shark

In other news, water is wet.

129. Магия 10 says:

hunter1909: Tyler Seguin looked excellent – the debate continues.

Long live the debate but no use for the folks who play down hall’s better career ppg etc. because of who he plays for or who picked him. Funny that espn and Int’l media see beyond that narrative.

130. Numenius says:

Lowetide: No, any number of struggling D could have been scratched. There’s no real difference between the two, beyond the fact Moroz has foot speed and Musil does not have foot speed. Both prospects are going to be down the depth chart should they make the NHL, so both get punished by my ranking (LOVE range of skills!) because of it.

Could it have been that Musil was scratched over Simpson (say) because of nagging injury rather than ability?

Or was it clear that he was completely healthy?

131. Rondo says:

hunter1909,

We should trade for Crosby and Toews and maybe Doughty

Seguin should have been on the All-Star team. Glad to see Hall made it.

133. SwedishPoster says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Well there you go. He decided to show me the offensive game is already there.

134. hunter1909 says:

bobinyvr:

How sweet is that?More please.

Hall+Eberle(also Lander and Klefbom) plus the winning coach + McFreaking David + Yakupov + Nurse + Draisraitl… all coming with a recent cup winning GM. Crazy times for Oiler fans.

135. Rondo says:

Last I saw Oilers were the worst organization in hockey for the last 9 years.

136. Gordies Elbow says:

hunter1909: Hall+Eberle(also Lander and Klefbom) plus the winning coach + McFreaking David + Yakupov + Nurse + Draisraitl…all coming with a recent cup winning GM. Crazy times for Oiler fans.

Missed Hendricks, who captained his team to the bronze 😉

137. Unwashed Oilfan says:

Aside from being a proud Canadian hockey fan, I have a feeling this experience is exactly what Hall and Ebs needed. They needed to smile and enjoy playing again. Also, waking up on a game day expecting to win, this could be a great kickstart for the boys.

138. Hammers says:

Lowetide: I absolutely don’t want to trade anything for an expiring contract. If the Oilers deal No. 16 for a defenseman under control and with significant track left in his career, I’m open to it. I’d like to keep either 16 of 33, preferring to deal next year’s second as an option.

That’s more the way I was thinking. So much isn,t about age as how many years before they start declining and that’s always included the best players . Most of the best teams in any sport stay the best by trading declining assets and they normally have value. Difference between the best run organizations and the Others is noing when to do it .

139. Магия 10 says:

Gordies Elbow: Missed Hendricks, who captained his team to the bronze

Why do you hate Nuge?

140. Gordies Elbow says:

Магия 10: Why do you hate Nuge?

He has wee beady little eyes, like the Colonel…

You lace your chicken with a chemical that makes you crave it fortnightly – “Oh, yes, you’ll buy my chicken”…

141. rickithebear says:

Czh; Swe; Czh; Rus
    Hall 3G 2A
    Seguin 2G 0A

Lat; Ger; Sui; Fra; Aut; Blr
    Hall 4G 3A
    Seguin 7G

Tyler can sure score against europes lower teams!

Sorry LT!

142. Ryan says:

rickithebear:
    Czh; Swe; Czh; Rus
    Hall 3G 2A
    Seguin 2G 0A

Lat; Ger; Sui; Fra; Aut; Blr
    Hall 4G 3A
    Seguin 7G

Tyler can sure score against europes lower teams!

You win this thread. Nicely done!

143. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

VanOil:

144. bobinyvr says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1): What’s the hurry? Let him relax and enjoy the medal while catching some R&R in Europe – we can just sign him via Skype…

Bold, Oilers should economize and hire McLellan via Twitter … 140 characters or less.

145. Really? says:

Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker),

Agree with your approach to the Oilers D Corps. Absolutely critical to be patient now. Can’t afford to blow it all by getting jumpy now. Save the draft picks and use them to fill the cupboards. Free Agents and minor trades for prospects or future (2016 picks+) should be used to set the table for next year.

Do not forget, this lines up perfectly with the Katz new building time line.

146. rickithebear says:

Woodguy: Not sure what you mean here rtb

Alot of smart people here.
    I am way more prickish with people i intellectualy respect.

Allways take the smart option!
    J.Ward top 20 PK
    Upper 2 nd EVG

147. Ryan says:

rickithebear:
    My first UFA target is Beagle.
    Who was WSH best PK forward
    10-11 to 12-13
    little used13-14 to 14-15
    56% FO%

Can Beagle play on the blue line or in net?

Our blue line and goaltending is a tire fire.

Think back to the order of operations you learned in math…

If chia Pete is running around looking for depth forwards before he solves our other problems…

steveb12344: He kinda looks like a young Petr Klima.

Win!

CONNOR!!!!!!

FREAKING!!!!!!!

MC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GODDAM!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAVID!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WWWWWOOOOOOTTTTTT!!!!!

150. raventalon40 says:

Ryan: Can Beagle play on the blue line or in net?

Our blue line and goaltending is a tire fire.

Think back to the order of operations you learned in math…

In the interest of added depth, I do it anyway (assuming they can still convince Beagle and his agent to sign).

Get the guys to compete in training camp for their jobs. Send the rest to the AHL, ECHL, or out via trade. No problem having a 5th NHL-calibre centerman here for this purpose, when in previous years we’ve had 2 out the gate. A good problem to have.

Always a good idea to sign good and (hopefully) economical players (as opposed to big whale hunting, which requires some risk and forethought).

151. Yak2 says:

No thank you to trading Yakimov or Slepyshev. Sorry, not happening. We need C with Size, and outside of Draisaitl, we don’t have that. Yakimov is a keeper. Slepyshev is one of our PURE snipers, not only on the wing, but in our system. We need that as well.