THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGING

Sportsnet is reporting this afternoon that the Edmonton Oilers will name Todd McLellan coach of the team, possibly as early as Tuesday (tomorrow). The report is here. McLellan is a bona fide NHL coach, one of the best available in many years and the handling of this hiring (targeting McLellan before Mike Babcock was on the market) suggests McLellan was their No. 1 target for coach.

Earlier this week, I spoke to Derek from Fear the Fin, and he offered some excellent insight on the Oilers new coach:

• Derek/Fear the Fin: “I think this is a great hire for Edmonton. I think the main thing you can expect from McLellan—especially with the personnel he’s now going to have in Edmonton—the power play is going to be fantastic. The Sharks have routinely the best power play in the league in terms of shot metrics and conversion percentage.”
  • Derek/Fear the Fin: “He plays a bit of a conservative system in the neutral zone, there’s a lot of dump and chase hockey but it works unlike your average dump and chase team because they play a very aggressive forecheck. It’s the two-on-two offensive forecheck the Kings and the Blues have had a lot of success with. The defenseman on the strong side will pinch to keep the puck in the zone and the extra forward (high forward) will cycle back to cover him on the point.”
  • Derek/Fear the Fin: “For most of his (San Jose) tenure it was pretty much a puck mover with a stay-at-home type on the blue line. We saw a bit of a shift the last few years as the Sharks acquired more puck-moving guys. For the most part I think he’s going to look to shelter more offensive types with a defensive defenseman.”

Read up on McLellan here:

MCLELLAN VOLLMAN D 2014-15 mclellan vollman d

McLellan had a tough-minutes/zone start pairing in Marc-Edouard Vlasic and Justin Braun, he won’t have that here but Mark Fayne did play a similar role this past season in Edmonton. Finding someone for the Vlasic role will be a big part of the procurement department’s job and the answer may not arrive this summer.

MCLELLAN’S VOLLMAN F 2014-15

mclellan vollman fHere is McLellan’s forward roster on a line from this past season. Hard for an Oilers fan to imagine a row of ZS’s at 50% for the season. Incredible. I’ll monitor this story this afternoon and update as information comes available.

This. Is. Amazing.

199 Responses to "THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGING"

1. Kraz says:

I can’t wait to see what he can do with all this offensive talent

2. Mr DeBakey says:

I don’t know about you guys, but I miss the Nelson era.

I remember Mudcrutch’s photo essays showing the Sharks tacticing teams to death.
    Should be fun.

New Jersey ought to talk to Nelson.

3. Ben says:

Personally, I’m worried about the fact that all of these new hires – Nicholson, Chiarelli, McLellan – have no real ties to the teams of the 80s that put Edmonton on the map.

These men may have decent pedigree and a winning track record, but honest, do any of them really seem like ‘real Oilers?’

I dunno. Maybe I’m just disappointed that Buchberger wasn’t given any real consideration for the head coaching job. Great leader, and a real good Oiler.

Ben:

I dunno.Maybe I’m just disappointed that Buchberger wasn’t given any real consideration for the head coaching job.Great leader, and a real good Oiler.

Shut down the internet, we have a winner!

5. Dashingsilverfox says:

Ben,

Kevin…is that you?

6. rickithebear says:

Ben:

Yeah! Other than Colin winning the cup for his son!
    What does Chiarelli really offer.

On another note:
    UFA Traget #1 Gregory Campbell!

Woodguy:
    LT, did you delete my spam?

No sir.

8. rickithebear says:

AMEN!

9. rich says:

Ben:

I had no idea MacT stalked this site…

10. regwald says:

I am happy with the hire, but wished Nelson was the guy. I know, less experience and all, but liked him as a coach. I think he has a huge upside as a NHL coach.

Now we can see if McLellan was the driver for possession or if this was because or the players brought into SJ.

Great hire.

Almost a perfect coach for these players.

Can’t wait to watch the PP.

There’s an argument to be made that he has more talent here than he did in SJS (among forwards)

Now we need Chia to fix the D and G.

12. slopitch says:

Dream Summer Checklist

1) win lottery – CHECK!
    2) new gm – check
    3) new coach – check
    4) top pairing dman (3 for 1, without moving a C)
    5) 0.920 capable goalie

These are all big damn deals. Getting 3 is a great start with plenty of summer left.

F**kn rights!

Lowetide: No sir.

Weird.

Will spam again.

slopitch:
    Dream Summer Checklist

1) win lottery – CHECK!
    2) new gm – check
    3) new coach – check
    4) top pairing dman (3 for 1, without moving a C)
    5) 0.920 capable goalie

F**kn rights!

It’s biblical.

*WARNING SPAM*

I looked at 16 goalies (via UFA and trade) through the lens of ranking adjusted sv% here:

*END SPAM*

16. oliveoilers says:

Woodguy: Weird.

Will spam again.

Spam!

Please excuse a hockey related note on this Steak-Scotch-Political-Python-Inane Rambling-Music-Trolling based blog, but if true, this is great news.

Actual credibility in the hockey world until the puck drops in the first game and we see if we can keep it up.

Who’da thunk it?

17. Marc says:

Great stuff.

Woodguy:
    *WARNING SPAM*

*END SPAM*

So, Talbot-Bernier and then a backup and we flush Scrivens? So say all of us?

19. Dashingsilverfox says:

Lowetide: It’s biblical.

I read that book…it didn’t end well.

Dashingsilverfox: I read that book…it didn’t end well.

For some

Lowetide: I’ve been damn busy all week, so didn’t get a chance to read any of your goalie pieces (I will, promise). I did click through on this one, and have to say this is outstanding. VERY informative and I love LOVE the trending over multiple years.

So, Talbot-Bernier and then a backup and we flush Scrivens? So say all of us?

Talbot – Bernier would be a huge home run.

I don’t think Bernier’s available now with Nonis gone.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 52s52 seconds ago

Todd McLellan will be the next coach of the Oilers, however, the deal is not done. Still a few details being worked out.

23. Klima's_Bucket says:

Woodguy,

Thanks so much for posting your piece on goalie targets.
    Very informative.

24. Dashingsilverfox says:

Woodguy:
    *WARNING SPAM*

*END SPAM*

Rod Pedersen @sportscage · 2m 2 minutes ago

The Oilers will have a private plane pick Todd McLellan up in San Jose upon his return from CZR. Press conf this week. 5-yr deal.

26. Backhand says:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 7m7 minutes ago
    The expectation by the way is that San Jose will indeed seek a third-round pick compensation for Todd McLellan as per the new rule

Such a ridiculous rule.

27. oliveoilers says:

Todd McLellan has the best ‘Lego’ hair I’ve ever seen.

I’m going to have a beer on a school night, I’m so happy!

28. oliveoilers says:

Backhand:
    Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun7m7 minutes ago

Can we give them a third rounder we already picked?

29. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: Talbot – Bernier would be a huge home run.

I don’t think Bernier’s available now with Nonis gone.

Some smart people owe Quick an apology 😛

#OKCBarons lines (LW-C-RW): R. Hamilton-Williams-Chase; Winquist-Khaira-Miller; K. Jones-C. Jones-Ford; C. Hamilton-Stretch-Winchester

Barons Gameday ‏@BaronsGameDay 51s51 seconds ago
    Defensive pairings: Davidson-Hunt; Simpson-Musil; Nurse-Oesterle #OKCBarons

31. oliveoilers says:

Backhand:
    Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun7m7 minutes ago

Such a ridiculous rule.

This is a nothing tweet. The story broke, but Pierre already knows that SJ will seek compensation? The word ‘expectation’ is his get-out-of-jail-free card here.

32. Pouzar says:

oliveoilers:

I’m going to have a beer on a school night, I’m so happy!

Damn you! I’ve been work week sober for over a month!

oliveoilers:
    Todd McLellan has the best ‘Lego’ hair I’ve ever seen.

I’m going to have a beer on a school night, I’m so happy!

Lordy. I’ve been TRYING to think about who he looks like forever, and that’s it! My son (Michael) used to call the main character ‘Lego Michael’ so that’s what I always called him (I have a lego Michael hidden in my house because my son would make fun of me if he knew).

God, thanks for that. Mystery solved!

34. oliveoilers says:

LOL, Todd McLegoland.

35. fifthcartel says:

They really gotta change that “rule”. Fired coaches/general managers shouldn’t have any compensation given.

oliveoilers:

LOL, Todd McLegoland.

Haha! Love it!

37. Магия 10 says:

So it’s been one whole month since the lottery.
    Woot! Woot! Woot!

38. raventalon40 says:

Ben:

I celebrate this.

We’ve needed a clean break for years. Lowe and MacT are still in the orgnization, perhaps as a form of loyalty from Katz to them, but I thought it would have been best for them too to get a fresh start as well. Oh well.

Unless satire…

39. raventalon40 says:

Woodguy: Talbot – Bernier would be a huge home run.

I don’t think Bernier’s available now with Nonis gone.

I prefer Neuvirth-Talbot or even Neuvirth-Reimer or Niemi-Scrivens

Dashingsilverfox: Very nice work although I’m not sure why you think Schneider would be potentially available.

Thanks DSF.

You didn’t read close enough and missed this part:

I’ve also added Schneider since the questions of “Is Talbot the next Schneider?” started me down this path and it’s good to have him here for comparison. I don’t think Schneider is available in trade at all.

41. Dashingsilverfox says:

Woodguy: Thanks DSF.

You didn’t read close enough and missed this part:

I’ve also added Schneider since the questions of “Is Talbot the next Schneider?” started me down this path and it’s good to have him here for comparison.I don’t think Schneider is available in trade at all.

Got it.

Thanks.

raventalon40: I prefer Neuvirth-Talbot or even Neuvirth-Reimer or Niemi-Scrivens

Scrivens and Neuvirth do not come out looking good in my post.

Pouzar: Some smart people owe Quick an apology

I could be wrong though.

🙂

44. Pouzar says:

I’ve tried posting a link to the Barons game but no dice.

Dashingsilverfox: Got it.

Thanks.

I appreciate the feedback.

46. LMHF#1 says:

I don’t mind the coach – but I do mind that this says to me they didn’t consider Babcock and that is a mistake.

Also – FIVE years??? Hope that’s wrong.

And this new compensation for fired employees is bull crap.

47. "Steve Smith" says:

A propos nothing, this headline really takes me back.

“Steve Smith”:
    A propos nothing, this headline really takes me back.

Ha!

49. Traktor says:

Do we have to give even more draft picks if he brings his assistants from San Jose?

50. Pouzar says:

Brad Hunt scores on a weak back hand off the rush.
    1-0

51. AsiaOil says:

Honestly- I find all this sound judgement and good planning coming out of the offices on Kingsway quite disconcerting. Chia and Nicholson are re-building trust bit by bit – but with each good move it seems to signal that the Lowe/MacT BOB act has indeed been sidelined. Quality people like Chia and MacL would never ever sign up to work with the Oilers if those guys still had any real influence.

In goal – Bernier should be the longterm target but who knows if he is available. TOR is in tank mode – or should be – so it’s a waste to keep the guy and screw that up. Would #16 and Brossoit work? Would also consider Yak for Bernier straight up – then use #16 on a dman and add one more via UFA. Other than that – Anderson is the short-term option – but I would not give anything more than the #33. Get some decent coaching and you may be able to patch Scrivens up well enough to be a serviceable – if overpaid – backup for one year. That was his ceiling to begin with.

52. Pouzar says:

Nurse playing the right side again.

53. Traktor says:

Woodguy:
    *WARNING SPAM*

*END SPAM*

First time I looked at the adjusted SV %.

DAT Scrivens

54. AsiaOil says:

LMHF#1 – Babcock was never a realistic option (they would have known that from the get-go given the HC connections) so spending time and energy chasing him was a whale hunt with the inevitable outcome. Instead they landed an outstanding coach who has a lot of options but picked EDM. So they made the right move to focus on McLellan. This was tricky situation that likely would have been bungled by the previous regime – but it was handled extremely well by Chia – another confidence building step.

LMHF#1:

Also – FIVE years??? Hope that’s wrong.

And this new compensation for fired employees is bull crap.

55. sumaclab says:

With LT Eric out of town sowing his wild oats in LV the Oilers decide to roll out Part C of the summer rebuild. Bob-Peter-TM..A slow news week last week is going to be followed this week by another Oilers press conference.We thought we would only here endless talk of the draft on June 26th.Boy we were all wrong.
    How many of you out there watching the WHC were thinking the same thing I was. This is Hall and Eberle playing at their absolute best.top drawer. They had Crosby pushing the play and they did not once look out of place and or look like they could not play at the level of a Crosby. It said a lot to me.Todd McLelland is going to look at that and keep that in the back of his mind come fall.
    For any of you out there who think TM is not going to make a difference to the Oilers this season give your heads a shake.
    lowetide it is going to be a bitchin show tomorrow to start the week.WHC GOLD and the Russians taking their toys and going home before out National Anthem. What pray tell will you have to talk about this week.
    And just because LD and his Kelowna Rockets start off the MEM CUP Friday against Quebec.

56. AsiaOil says:

Might have been one of the reasons they waited to put him in – wanted to let him practice on the right side.

Pouzar:
    Nurse playing the right side again.

57. kinger_OIL says:

So the Joe Thornton stuff at the end of season: not worth a mention? I thought Joe has been a solid citizen in the NHL: found the whole thing strange…

58. LMHF#1 says:

Asia – I get it, and again, I’m not really miffed. The thing is, you never know until you ask. I’m not convinced they asked and Mike Babcock is worth a quick ask.

I hope they asked, but recent turnaround in decision making aside, I’m still suspicious.

59. blainer says:

Woodguy:
    *WARNING SPAM*

*END SPAM*

Well done WG.. Agreed on Scrivens and said that a few posts ago.. We HAVE to do a complete Goalie Re-boot save LB in the A.. I love the Talbot Bernier ideas and of course Schnider…

60. Pouzar says:

Seein Oesterle/Nurse pairing good.

Nurse playing a very similar style to his Soo days. Not changing his aggressive rovering style one bit.
    Man he looks so fast even at this level.

61. russ99 says:

kinger_OIL:
    So the Joe Thornton stuff at the end of season: not worth a mention?I thought Joe has been a solid citizen in the NHL: found the whole thing strange…

Naw, Thornton is a declining star, and treatment he expected but isn’t getting is rubbing him the wrong way. Telling the GM publicly to shut his mouth and not supporting the coach is the result, not he problem.

McLellan did what he needed to do in order to effectively run the team.

May be an issue in 5-7 years, but not with a young team hungry to win.

I’m curious about assistants and if Nelson is kept.

It’s important we make a clean break with the oast, however. If Nelson stays it has to be McLellan’s choice and all of Eakins’ assistants should be replaced,

62. raventalon40 says:

Woodguy: Scrivens and Neuvirth do not come out looking good in my post.

Wow, that was a great read. Thanks.

63. pts2pndr says:

It just gets better and better to be an Oiler fan! Now that the brain trust is established it will be great to see them build the team. In these gentlemen I trust! What an amazing start to the summer! Our long suffering makes this oh so sweet!

64. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

russ99,

Russ, by the way, from the last thread… Eichel and “average players” do not belong in the same sentence. I think you’re underrating him, a lot. To be clear I wasn’t advocating trading McJesus; someone asked what Buffalo might offer for him and Matt Barnaby suggested last week on Twitter that package (Eichel, Ristolainen, Zadorov, 1st) would be the starting place. That’s nothing to sneeze at considering Eichel is widely considered the 2nd best prospect since Crosby. It’s whether you prefer Crosby alone of Getzlaf, Lindholm, Fowler, and a 1st. I get it, trade isn’t going to happen for many, many reasons, and very happy we keep McDavid. But value wise it’s certainly not a bunch of average pieces. Just my opinion.

65. Pouzar says:

Gene Principe ‏@GenePrincipe
    It’s expected Tuesday 2pm MT @EdmontonOilers will introduce Todd McLellan as new head coach.

66. admiralmark says:

Woodguy:
    *WARNING SPAM*

*END SPAM*

Excellent Article. It appears in hindsight that the 7th overall + Marincin(I think it was?) for Schneider although a dear price may of been worth it. So I guess the next obvious question is do you feel this years 16th overall is worth paying for Talbot? Or do you not quite have the same confidence that Talbot will be as good as Schneider?

Totally agree with your conclusion on playing the field every few years with astute bets on goalies in order to save on cap space . But I wonder if this approach is the correct one if you are giving up early 1st round picks to acquire(Eg. if this years 16th was given for Talbot). Might be the wise to move him at his peak value, get back your high draft pick, and roll the dice on a couple more good bet goalies. But that GM would have to have some big cahoneys to do it.

Also, you may need to narrow your criteria for “spam”. too much good information there.

67. admiralmark says:

Pouzar:
    Gene Principe ‏@GenePrincipe

WHY WHY WHY didn’t we get Babcock?! This is horrible!

Just kidding. 🙂

68. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Outstanding stuff, sir.
    This line stood out for me regarding Quick: “I thought he was over rated until I did this exercise. Nope, he’s the goods.” Yup, was surprised to see that.

The other thing I found is there’s a reason why these guys are available. Pretty much all of them have struggled to stay even light green every year. That Schneider, though. He kept Jersey out of the McDavid/Eichel conversation singlehandedly.

69. V.XIV.VI.I says:

These are no longer the feverish highs of winning the lottery or seeing Bob Nicholson deliver his verdict, and I’m no longer euphoric, but now I’ve come down enough to finally accept the reality that change is here.

Best of luck to Todd McLellan.

70. Pouzar says:

Nurse on the first PK unit

71. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

admiralmark,

In the Oilers’ case that would have been 7th overall and Marincin. So Nurse and Marincin. Steep price to pay. Imagine the Oilers’ D prospect pool without those two. Klefbom and…crickets.

Really wish Talbot had one more year or 30 or 40 more games to his sample size. Schneider had almost double his starts at the time of the trade (which was a weird one to begin with). Right now it seems like a huge gamble to me if the cost to acquire is 16th overall. For one of the second rounders I’d definitely consider it.

72. hunter1909 says:

LMHF#1: Not to be a downer – it’s an amazing summer but that raised my expectation that we might actually get the #1 coach.

The new guy isn’t exactly chopped liver.

73. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

hunter1909: Well, they hired a coach who recently won the World Championship of International Hockey – with Hall+Eberle promoted to the 1st line as part of the winning process.

The new guy isn’t exactly chopped liver.

Not to mention he was Babcock’s #1 disciple and then became a terrific head coach in his own right. I don’t really see him as a clear #2 to Babcock. I think they are pretty close. Also, watch Hall, if healthy, go supernova with McDavid and McLellan. I think McLellan can teach him the way he helped with Marleau. Hall, in my opinion, is the biggest beneficiary of this hire.

74. hunter1909 says:

What does Dallas Eakins bring in compensatory picks, after Toronto signs him to a 4 year contract?

75. hunter1909 says:

NYCOIL "Taking Photos": Not to mention he was Babcock’s #1 disciple and then became a terrific head coach in his own right. I don’t really see him as a clear #2 to Babcock. I think they are pretty close. Also, watch Hall, if healthy, gosupernova with McDavid and McLellan. I think McLellan can teach him the way he helped with Marleau. Hall, in my opinion, is the biggest beneficiary of this hire.

McLellan potentially brings more as seen by his great handling of Hall+Eberle.

76. hunter1909 says:

Come to think of it, Oilers have Eakins AND Nelson to sell for these newfangled 3rd round picks changing teams over ex-coaches.

77. Mtl-oiler says:

I don’t know if anyone is a Star Trek fan but Mclellan sorts of looks like Cmd. Decker from one of the original episodes.

admiralmark,

7th + Marincin was an overpay in terms on how much an upgrade Schneider would have been on Dubnyk imo. (in hindsight)

I think the 16th is too much to pay for him given his track record isn’t that long.

33rd is probably fair value, might have to add a bit.

79. stush18 says:

Sorry for the thread jacking LT,

Hey woodguy,

I understand that you have an irrational hatred for nuevirth, but is he really that horrible of an option?

In this year, in which he was a starter, he was a bright green. He was singlehandedly pulling buffalo out of mcdavid. Im not a big fan of goalies who are becoming known in the nhl as theyre entering there late twenties. I place a lot of stock in goalies that make shitty teams look good.

Curious how hammond and mrazek looked as well. I really wanted to trade for sproul and mrwzek at the start if the year.

Great post

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:

Outstanding stuff, sir.
    This line stood out for me regarding Quick: “I thought he was over rated until I did this exercise.Nope, he’s the goods.” Yup, was surprised to see that.

The other thing I found is there’s a reason why these guys are available. Pretty much all of them have struggled to stay even light green every year. That Schneider, though.He kept Jersey out of the McDavid/Eichel conversation singlehandedly.

Agreed.

These guys are available because the have flaws.

Really impressed with Enroth.

Very under-rated.

81. Richard S.S. says:

Wow! And did the World really change!

Nicholson, Chiarelli and McLellan are amongst the very best in the business at what they do and that’s a huge upgrade. They are highly respected and valued everywhere, including Internationally. They are very successful in their jobs and vastly experienced. And that’s a massive upgrade.

No one will ever be able to ignore Edmonton any more, they figured the tough parts out already.

stush18,

Neuvirth has more good years than bad.

His last year is good, but it’s really the only one.

He might come around, but there are others with better track records, like Enroth.

83. admiralmark says:

The new guy isn’t exactly chopped liver.

MacLellan has also won more games then Babcock since he left Detroit. I really didnt see the competition between Babcock and MacLellan as a who is the better coach. They are each in their own right elite NHL coaches. What is more important is who is the better fit for this Oiler team. I think excellent arguments could be made for either of them. And maybe one could say Babcock is the best fit? But truly it’s what Chiarelli feels is the best fit since he will be working closely with this hire. Bottom line is MacLellan is an elite proven NHL coach and Chiarelli likes his fit to himself and this team. This is cause for celebration. Good news just keeps on rolling in. What an incredible 30 days in Oilerland!

84. Snowman says:

I have a hard time believing Nicholson and Chiarelli didn’t consider Babcock. Just because they didn’t ask to talk to him doesn’t mean they didn’t consider it.

And frankly to me it doesn’t matter. Todd McLellan isn’t really a second option to Mr. Babcock anyways. He’s a damn good coach. His teams have good numbers and they have a fantastic powerplay. I like the guy. Hall and Eberle seemed to like him. I think this is a great hire.

Sometimes the grass isn’t greener. Sometimes you need to get tested for colour blindness instead.

Good hire. Top notch coach. Good days ahead.

85. Richard S.S. says:

So our GM is from Boston, that means he knows the East well. Our Head Coach is from San Jose, so he knows the West well. Should expand trade possibilities immensely, and be of a huge importance in signing Free Agents. Why? Nobody gets passed over or ignored because they are not well known. Conversely, no one wrong get acquired/signed without knowing/by mistake. So even if they can’t acquire the best, those they do acquire will be good enough. And that’s an upgrade!

86. PeOiler says:

hunter1909,

The right to the 1st pick off of the donut table.

Traktor: First time I looked at the adjusted SV %.

DAT Scrivens

Thanks for reading.

Yeah, it kinda ugly for him.

88. sliderule says:

Wh
    Is there anyone tracking quality of competition.

Talbot and Neuvirth and other backups would be playing against poorer teams.

I would think that could affect the statistics.

89. frjohnk says:

Great work on the goalies. Excellent stuff

I have put together a list of goalies and how they would fair when facing oiler shots from the high, medium and low danger areas over the last few years. I’ll try to get post it later and then compare goalies.

90. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Snowman: Its amazing as fans we had Dallas Eakins last year at this time at NFL training camps and now we have Todd McLellan fresh off world hockey gold and there’s disappointment?

I’m a huge fan of McLellan. I prefer him over Babcock by some considerable margin. So, any disappointment by the fans there (Babcock vs. McLellan) doesn’t give me much to chew on.

I also greatly prefer McLellan to either Eakins or Nelson.

Is there a pervasive sentiment that I am unaware of that believes Eakins’ talking to football coaches was some kind of blunder?

91. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The goalers of the future are Mio and Passmore.

92. Pouzar says:

R Hamilton from Nurse and Hunt.

2-0 OKC

93. Pouzar says:

Chris Wescott ‏@TheChrisWescott 2m2 minutes ago
    #OKCBarons getting outshot 31-18 but Ryan Hamilton puts them up 2-0 at 8:26 of 3rd. Hunt/Nurse with assists

94. blainer says:

Pouzar:
    Chris Wescott ‏@TheChrisWescott2m2 minutes ago

Would love to know Nurse’s TOI tonight.. He seems to be on a lot…

95. Gordies Elbow says:

As to the Todd McLellan vs Mike Babcock discussion: Would you prefer Mike Babcock, or Todd McLellan, where McLellan is bringing Jay Woodcroft as an assistant?

I think that Woodcroft is highly under-rated, and one of the best tacticians in the game. Smart man, good hire.

96. Cahoon says:

Pouzar,

Thanks for the updates.

97. Pouzar says:

2-1 OKC

Sven scores. 4 min left

98. v4ance says:

With the signings of Chiarelli and McLellan, we should assume that we’ll owe a 2nd to BOS and a 3rd to SJ.

Taking that into account, it makes it even more imperative that we should NOT trade the 16th overall pick this year. Looking long term, we will have two less incoming assets down the line and we should maximize our chances of getting a player who will still be on the roster 2 or 3 years from now that we will NOT need to replace using those two forfeited draft picks. To paraphrase my mindset, a bird in hand is worth two in the bush kind of thinking.

The optimal solution would be that the Oilers make it deep in the playoffs within 2 or 3 years and give up the draft picks then when their value is at their lowest. In any case, with the draft projected to be one of the strongest in years, it would be a strong bet that we’d retain the picks this year and wait til the team places higher or the draft class looks weaker.

99. Pouzar says:

Utica all over the Barons.

100. Gordies Elbow says:

v4ance:

Still TBD:

“One thing the GMs never anticipated with their rule change — hiring an executive who has been fired from his post but still under contract. Boston believes it is entitled to a third-round pick from Edmonton for the hiring of Peter Chiarelli, the GM they fired.
    The dispute has not be resolved. Stay tuned.”

Per link

101. Pouzar says:

5 seconds left.

Faceoff in OKC zone upcoming.

102. Pouzar says:

OKC WINS 2-1.

103. ashley says:

Great news again. It’s a brave new world being an Oilers fan.

Good coaching is a must. A bad coach is a major liability in a league where parity has never been at a such a level.

A good coach extracts near maximum value from the roster. A bad or inexperienced coach leaves value on the table often through overthinking, overcoaching, and experimental systems or unconventional policies/communication, or just ego.

The biggest error of the last 5 years has been the revolving door of inexperienced NHL coaches when viable options were available (Hitchcock, Hartley, Maurice). I think any of these men would have been more useful and delivered a better team performance, by experience alone.

I think some of the coaches we have seen may have good if not excellent NHL coaching careers (Eakins, Krueger), but this was not the team to break them in.

Of all the recent coaches, I liked Quinn the best. Unfortunately his roster was scorched earth. Even Jack Adams couldn’t have done much with that team.

104. Snowman says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I absolutely didn’t mean the Eakins talking to football coaches as a slight against Eakins. My point was Eakins was still learning about coaching in general, not just how to coach NHL hockey, he was still learning the finer points of the trade. And MacLellan by contrast is a bona fide world class NHL coach.

I give Eakins absolutely full credit for working to be better. That is one thing I will not fault Eakins for. My point was simply the difference of where they are in their coaching progression. Nothing more.

105. stush18 says:

I wonder which goalie anaheim uses next year. You have to think one of either gibson or anderson take the reins.

What is the haul for anderson, assuming they keep gibson?

Yak + 1st?

Gotta think its something along the lines of a 1st, so-so player, and prospect.

106. Gordies Elbow says:

stush18:

What is the haul for anderson, assuming they keep gibson?

Yak + 1st?

Gotta think its something along the lines of a 1st, so-so player, and prospect.

Goalies rarely return those types of returns, and didn’t we just have a goalie that looked good in Anaheim?

107. admiralmark says:

Gordies Elbow: Still TBD:

The dispute has not be resolved. Stay tuned.”

Per link

108. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Snowman:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Fair enough. Your comment makes a lot of sense read back through in that light and is pretty hard to disagree with.

One of Eakins’ better attributes IMO was his pretty intense sense of curiosity. It will serve him well, regardless of what he ends up doing.

109. Romulus Apotheosis says:

admiralmark: While I can understand the desire to curb the “poaching” of executives during the season. It seems a massive stretch to marry the logic when the guy has already been fired.

The compensation also seems a little steep.

I wonder how far you can extend this logic… could the Oilers have asked for compensation for Ricky O, for example?

110. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

I think Eakins has (rightfully so) gotten a bad rap. And the players’ comments (Belov’s agent, Lander’s agent, Yakupov) haven’t helped that perception.

In the right environment, could he make for a good coach? I think so. But he was a terrible fit for the Oilers.

Unfortunately, the Oilers hired a rookie GM with no GM experience, who turned around and wanted to put his stamp on the team, and in so doing hired a rookie coach with no NHL head coaching experience.

Two rookies coming in at what was supposed to be the end of the rebuild and the time to turn north was Lowe’s Oilers’ equivalent of taking a shot-gun to try to fix a hang-nail and blowing the whole foot off.

I think Eakins gets hired as an associate coach somewhere and hope he gets another opportunity to be a head coach down the line. I think he probably learned a lot from his experience with the Oilers.

Personally, I hope MacT moves on next year in a similar manner as well. The trail of destruction he has left with the D is just too egregious, and the personal favouritism or clouded judgment or whatever you want to call it has been destructive to the club (eg. treatment towards Schultz, Klef vs. Marincin, Petry).

Very happy to have McLellan on board. Think he’s a terrific hire and great fit for this team at this time. Good job, Chia.

111. Gret99zky says:

hunter1909:

I’d say a 3rd rounder for signing with another team.

And a 1st rounder once the “corsi secret” is revealed to the world.

112. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

That said, I think the NHL needs to re-think this and limit the compensation to people who are clearly working in day-to-day hockey ops. For example, if a club hires away an up-and-coming assistant GM (say, Dallas hiring Jim Nill away from Detroit) then compensation should be given. But they should close the “on the payroll” loophole for teams that have agreed to let these guys go (eg. Chiarelli and McLellan).

113. Cahoon says:

Woodguy,

Even after your analysis and ALL that green you think the 16th is too much to pay for Schneider? I would pay the 16th +

114. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Cahoon:
    Woodguy,

He meant for Talbot. There’s no way Schneider is available. If he were, he’d cost a king’s ransom. He’s elite.

115. Cahoon says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

Ok, I misunderstood the post then, I thought he was referring to Schneider. Thanks for the clarification.

116. ashley says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

Well said. It’s that “smartest man in the room” syndrome. So dangerous. “Why be boring and pick a tried and true (and available) NHL coach when we can look really clever by hiring an obscure one who has been successful in Europe, or an up-and-comer who may be the next Scotty Bowman. That will show the world”

We’re lucky we didn’t get burned with something that would haunt this team forever like an off the board pick instead of Nurse.

sliderule:

Wh
    Is there anyone tracking quality of competition.

Talbot and Neuvirth and other backups would be playing against poorer teams.

I would think that could affect the statistics.

I looked at that stuff years ago when analyzing Fleury.

The shots/gm and gf/60 of the teams the starter faces compared to the back up are very, very close. Often the back up faced teams with better shots/gm and gf/60 than the starter. Too close to make a difference imo.

Often the starting decision has more to do with rest than compeition.

Also, you have to consider injuries.

Talbot played a lot of games this year when Lundqvist went down.

In February and March he played 25 games. That’s pretty much every game.

118. square_wheels says:

seeing that bit about Tyler Johnson’s parents hauling him 14hrs leaving Spokane to Vancouver at midnight so he could play summer hockey.

Cheering like hell for Tampa, Yzermans put together a very solid lineup. But that kid is special.

frjohnk:

Great work on the goalies. Excellent stuff

I have put together a list of goalies and how they would fair when facing oiler shots from the high, medium and low danger areas over the last few years.I’ll try to get post it later and then compare goalies.

Thanks Padre.

If you use all the goalies that I did in my post (or most of them), I’ll create your own post at my site for it.

Won’t happen for a few days though as I’m going to be in Sedona for the next 3 days.

120. hunter1909 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I also greatly prefer McLellan to either Eakins or Nelson.

LOL @ the first part.

Romulus Apotheosis: But, I happen to think Eakins was a better coach than he is generally given credit for. And, while I recognize that his tenure is going to be reduced to a series of tropes (chop wood; no donuts; military jacket; Will Acton; etc)… I like to check in from time to time to get a read on how these narratives get formed…

That sort of thing.

121. Kris11 says:

Putatively good news all around: Nurse playing well at the pro level, experienced coach coming in.

They key now is what happens with the rest of the staff, the D, and the voodoo that is G.

v4ance:

Taking that into account, it makes it even more imperative that we should NOT trade the 16th overall pick this year. Looking long term, we will have two less incoming assets down the line and we should maximize our chances of getting a player who will still be on the roster 2 or 3 years from now that we will NOT need to replace using those two forfeited draft picks.To paraphrase my mindset, a bird in hand is worth two in the bush kind of thinking.

The optimal solution would be that the Oilers make it deep in the playoffs within 2 or 3 years andgive up the draft picks then when their value is at their lowest.In any case, with the draft projected to be one of the strongest in years, it would be a strong bet that we’d retain the picks this year and wait til the team places higher or the draft class looks weaker.

The Oilers have 3 years to give up those picks.

I would wager they don’t give up any this year.

123. square_wheels says:

Woodguy,

Did those 25 games stand out, did he dip in %’s or was he solid ? My biggest concern is trading with that Wylie old Sather, he’s as clever as the 3 legged coyote that lives under our grain bins.

124. admiralmark says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”: Technically they didn’t fire him. They relieved him of GM duties but didn’t kick him to the curb. Seems like they knew exactly how the new compensation rules would go down, figured a lower ranked (and thus higher draft pick) club would hire him, and set up the situation so they would have a claim.

125. square_wheels says:

square_wheels:
    seeing that bit about Tyler Johnson’s parents hauling him 14hrs leavingSpokane to Vancouver at midnight so he could play summer hockey.

Hedman is Norris material for a long long time, those Swedes sure do produce some dreamy players.

126. hunter1909 says:

square_wheels: My biggest concern is trading with that Wylie old Sather, he’s as clever as the 3 legged coyote that lives under our grain bins.

Slat’s just Kryptonite to trade with. Everyone walks away happy for about five minutes.

127. hunter1909 says:

admiralmark: Yes very sneaky by Cam Neely and company.

128. square_wheels says:

hunter1909,

I wonder what other offers he’ll get, we’re not the only team evaluating hidden goalies looking to fleece 3 legged coyote GM.

Just watch, he will have some inside knowledge of an impending goalie equipment change that would drastically impact Talbot and package a career limiting injury that’s not exactly as advertised to Staal and we’ll get a fourth round pick as comp.

He’s that shrewd.

129. Kris11 says:

Chia needs to move 16 (and maybe more) for a Dman. Buy out one of Nikitin or Ference. Move Schultz for a decent roster player. (He’ll bring that return because offensive Dmen are valuable, even very flawed ones) Acquire UFA’s to fill some holes. Playoff contention follow with CMD.

Woot and see.

130. Southern Oil says:

hunter1909: I’ll bet it makes him feel good after seeing Seguin’s endless stream of goalscoring in Prague.

I’m normally not vindictive but I’d love to see PC offer sheet Hamilton just to further screw with their cap. I don’t think teams should expect a 3rd rounder from someone they fired. Just my opinion.

131. "Steve Smith" says:

Kris11: BTW, I feel like I am the one that came up with Goalies are voodoo in the Khabibulin -*crosses self*- debate. Am I wrong?

I think it was me, so right you are.

132. Kris11 says:

The NHL just has to love some of these series. TB and NYR is great. Man, a big screen tv and HD is great in the playoffs.

133. Kris11 says:

Steve Smith, we should fist fight in a barn.

134. square_wheels says:

Southern Oil,

If ever there was a time and a player that I’d throw a 6M x 8 at, it’s Doug. I cant make myself call him Dougie.

135. Kris11 says:

Can you believe Khabibulin played for the Oilers and you all didn’t die? It is miraculous, really.

136. Dashingsilverfox says:

square_wheels:

I mentioned a few weeks ago that Johnson may be the best player in the NHL.

Tonight:

1SHG

1EVG

1PPG

6 SOG (and counting)

Regular season:

P/60 5V5 – 3.21 (best in the NHL)

P/60 5V4 – 5.50 (ahead of Stamkos)

As you say…”very special”

137. Kris11 says:

I once said that a guy who did good is good so I am a genious, too.

Cahoon:
    Woodguy,

I think the marginal upgrade from Dubnyk to him might not be worth the 7th and Marincin + 3rd (rumoured ask)

Now its a slam dunk as they are upgrading from not much at all.

139. Kris11 says:

I prefer to think of Johnson as the greatest athlete in the history of sports.

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”: He meant for Talbot.There’s no way Schneider is available. If he were, he’d cost a king’s ransom. He’s elite.

Exactly, if the subject is Talbot.

I think the 16th is too much, but the 33rd isn’t enough

141. square_wheels says:

Dashingsilverfox,

He’s the absolute best example of why you always draft BPA. Lowetide loves that Marmer kid he could be another.

I take hockey smarts any damn day of the week, Gretzky had all the things we would now call flaws but the one thing he had nobody else even came close to possessing….
    Edit- he wasn’t drafted but you know what I’m saying. Our boy Tkachev deserves a shot as well.

square_wheels:

He was ridiculously good:

143. Gordies Elbow says:

As to the compensation for signing executives:

Compensation is for Coaches, General Managers, or Presidents of Hockey Operations. Neither McLellan nor Chiarelli were in those roles when hired, one left “mutually,” and one was “fired.”

I can understand the grey area around picks.

144. Southern Oil says:

Dashingsilverfox: I mentioned a few weeks ago that Johnson may be the best player in the NHL.

Tonight:

1SHG

1EVG

1PPG

6 SOG (and counting)

Regular season:

P/60 5V5 – 3.21 (best in the NHL)

P/60 5V4 – 5.50 (ahead of Stamkos)

As you say…”very special”

Great contract too! They have two more years at $3.3M

Added Howard, Hiller and Lehtonen near the end the “goalies is voodoo” post as per requests

146. AsiaOil says:

Woodguy: Woodguy

For me it’s Bernier (for #16 and change if possible) or Anderson. These are guys I’d have some confidence coming in as longterm (Bernier) or short-term (Anderson) solutions. Talbot is very interesting but you are rolling the dice again by paying a significant asset in trade and then signing him longterm to a serious deal. All the risk is with the team Slats trades with.

147. Snowman says:

Dashingsilverfox,

That is a hell of a game. It might be a bit early to be calling him the best player in the league but he’s definitely nearer the top than the middle of the pack.

Hard not to like what Tampa has going on right now. They’re certainly a dangerous team.

If they make it through it’ll be interesting to see how they match up with the Ducks or the Hawks (I think the Ducks). That’s a lot of speed and skill and Anaheim isn’t quite that fast but they are bigger and meaner. Should be a good series.

148. square_wheels says:

Woodguy,

So what are we waiting for ???? Oh wait, Slats will want Brouissoit and the 33rd and we can add the 16th and have Staal.
    Replace brouissoit with any of our other great prospects and I’d suggest that his ask. He’ll use Talbot as the bait.

149. Ben says:

Strombo’s sputtering coke-head babble makes me ache for Ron MacLean, everytime. What a downgrade.

Heck – I’ll take back Kevin Weekes if you give us back MacLean.

150. Cyanide says:

I also didn’t have a problem with the donuts, weird rule yes, problem no.

My main problems with what Dallas implemented were the low intensity practices, lots of players commented about the difference of intensity between him and Nelson in the practices.
    Picking his own captain, in my experience of playing hockey, any team I have been on its the players decision not the coaches.
    And taking the dressing room away from the players, ie: taking the ping pong table out and removing the memorabilia out of the room.
    Alot of things to me seemed like he did it to stroke his own ego, make him have more power.

151. "Steve Smith" says:

Kris11:
    Steve Smith, we should fist fight in a barn.

I get that a lot.

152. Klima's_Bucket says:

Remember when the Devils were forced to give up a 1st round pick as penance for the Kovalchuk contract but then the league overruled its original decision and let the Devils keep their first?
    If I am the Oilers I hold off on giving up any picks for as long as I can and let the NHL overrule themselves on teams getting compensation for fired employees.

153. square_wheels says:

Ben,

Elliot Freidman is the only one that should talk, period.

154. Dashingsilverfox says:

Snowman:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Johnson now leads the NHL playoff scoring race and, if the Bolts advance, would have to be a strong Conn Smythe trophy candidate.

If the Ducks and Bolts make the finals it will be a classic battle between big/mean and skill/speed.

The Ducks are built to beat the Kings in the playoffs but their defensive depth is ridiculous:

Spam Alert:

I think the Ducks will be able to wear them down in a 7 game series.

155. hags9k says:

Lottery win. New POHO. New GM. New coach. Woodguy and DSF playing nice with each other.

Yep I’d say that 3 for 1 for Weber must be on it’s way any minute!

What an amazing month!

Also, thanks for that great work Woodguy. I’m on side with team Talbot, and I like Enroth too. I also wouldn’t mind Bernier. I’m also glad to see you have finally come around on Quick. 😉

156. Cyanide says:

square_wheels,

I love the Dynamic between Kypreos and Freidman.
    I enjoyed watching their relationship grow. At first it was Kypreos being the meat head that he his yelling and pointing fingers at Freidman. Now they are like best friends laughing and joking around with each other.
    It reminded me of watching 2 children meeting on the play ground for the first time. One a jock and one a nerd. Hating each other at the beginning of the day, but by the end of the day they realized that just because they are so different does not mean they can not be the best of friends.

157. square_wheels says:

Cyanide,

I will give Kyper credit for working his ass off to get better. He’s now bearable. Ferraro ranks very high for me, always depend on his honest evaluation of the game or players.

Someday Ferraro might make a great exec, curious if he’s ever dabbled?

158. Dashingsilverfox says:

Ferraro appears regularly on TSN 1040 In Vancouver and has been asked directly if he would be interested in a management role in the NHL.

He said “yes” but no one has ever approached him.

I think he would be a great hire…he knows the game and players inside out.

159. Cyanide says:

I’ve loved Ferraro ever since his days as Oilers commentator. I even loved him as a player. I enjoyed watching the WHC and listening to his commentating.

160. square_wheels says:

Dashingsilverfox,

He could suffer from being perceived as direct or even forceful in his opinion, but if teams need that overlord role and the 3rd period bench role this is a guy that could really help.

I think it will happen for him eventually, he’s a young guy still.

161. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy:

That’s a long time to spend in a Kia.

wheatnoil: That’s a long time to spend in a Kia.

It’s roomy.

163. Dashingsilverfox says:

square_wheels:
    Dashingsilverfox,

I think it will happen for him eventually, he’s a young guy still.

Yep.

He always calls a spade a spade (and sometimes…a big fucking shovel).

You gotta think there’s a role for a guy with his knowledge and honesty.

164. Stanley 2018 says:

The rumor on Dallas E. is that Philly is considering a role for him. Phantom’s HC is likely, maybe even AC on the big club depending on how Hextall wants to complete his “out of the box” coaching strategy.

165. Dashingsilverfox says:

Woodguy,

Make sure you’re back in Edmonton in the 1st week of June.

I’m buying.

(spent a week in Sedona a few years back…dreamy).

166. Магия 10 says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”: That’s nothing to sneeze at considering Eichel is widely considered the 2nd best prospect since Crosby

Need some sources for that one. I’ve heard he’s 1st in a lot of draft years. I’ve heard we have two generational talents this year. But generational gets tossed around a lot without really meaning the 95 percentile of 1st overalls. I might be the only one not with the program, but who all has been flat out calling him 2nd after Crosby and McDavid?

Dashingsilverfox:
    Woodguy,

Make sure you’re back in Edmonton in the 1st week of June.

I’m buying.

(spent a week in Sedona a few years back…dreamy).

Perfect!

I’ll be back then.

168. hunter1909 says:

Kris11:
    Steve Smith, we should fist fight in a barn.

My money’s on Steve.

169. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

You know there are some cheeky ways to mess with the Rangers. Stepan (RFA) is going to get paid. He’s going to get more than Brassard did so maybe $6M per year? Someone sends an offer sheet for 6.7M and that’s the max salary for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (the old Penner compensation). That could mess up the Rangers royally as they will most likely match. I’m not saying the Oilers should do that, but it would be interesting if one team did. Does MSL retire to help them? Maybe if they win the Cup this year, but otherwise they could be in a pickle.

I just hope it’s not Girardi that the Oilers take off their hands. Really anxious to get these playoffs over, get to the draft and then July 1 and see what Chiarelli’s solutions are to address:

Nikitin ($4.5M x 1)
    Purcell ($4.5M x 1)
    Ference ($3.25M x 2)
    Schultz ($3.675M Qualifying Offer, RFA)
    Marincin (RFA)
    Gazdic ($800K x 1–remember when some of us bemoaned the extra year? Many defended this contract as a way to keep him from being claimed on waivers. Well, that worked! Whoopee, so glad we still have him).

And try to bring in:
    – #1 goalie (let’s budget $4-5M for this to be safe)
    – Two bonafide D (let’s budget $11M total for this to be safe)
    – One veteran C (this could vary: Sobotka is $2.75M, Roy is $4M)
    – One cheaper veteran checking wing to replace Purcell (Winnik?) or get creative and clear more cap space and add a Williams type to play RW on the McDavid-Hall line.

Can’t wait.

AsiaOil: Great work WG but I can’t buy the undervalued agreement for Enroth. This is a guess based on very little evidence as he only played 12 games in one of his “green” seasons and is very likely a career backup. I’d take a chance on him in that role or as a clear 1B at most – but we need a proven starter and stability in net next season in the worst way after the fiascos of the last 2 seasons. Seen too many Conklin, Markanen, Fasth, Scriven experiments and want someone more proven – and I’d wager the GM and coach feel likewise.

I like Enroth because:

His first four years he ranked in the top 30 in ASV% 27-20-13-16. This past year is his only blip with a 36.

He’s young. Turns 27 in June and has a ton of experience for a player his age. Its not easy to play in the NHL in your early 20’s and he did it well.

The one year is only 12 games and it needs to be measured, but he was full value the next year.

He might never be a starter and I mentioned him as a good back up.

His age and track record make him likey to have a good next few years.

5’10” has him out of fashion though.

171. "Steve Smith" says:

hunter1909: My money’s on Steve.

I wouldn’t be so sure – my record as a boxer is 0-2 – one on points, one an RSC in the interests of protecting the canvass from my blood.

(I feel like I was tied or ahead on points when I bled out, but that could well be revisionist history.)

Anyway, Kris vs. me would basically be Edward Norton vs. Tyler Durden.

172. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hunter1909: Once you look at the team’s record; then check out the regression of virtually every single player on the team, not even mentioning that Taylor Hall water bottle incident and the egotism, the hubris, that desire to always appear innovative and cool, the ignoring of all the players before he even started coaching them to name only a few and a picture of incredible incompetence emerges – therefore, crossing over to other professional sports like NFL Football so Dallas can gleam even cooler and more esoteric information than ever before!! Look Everyone!! This is a great NHL coach!! Just wait until the Oilers are all Vegans!!
    That sort of thing.

That sort of thing, indeed.

Thanks for fleshing out the fever dream, Hunter!

173. hunter1909 says:

Cyanide: With regards to Dallas Eakins, I never seen a problem with the military jacket. Most teams have their “Military Jacket. Anaheim has their Firemans helmet. Chicago has their Champions belt.

There’s something creepy about grown men dressing up wearing military jackets. Particularly as it’s compulsory coming from Dallas Eakins who shows narcissistic tendencies.

174. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Магия 10: Need some sources for that one. I’ve heard he’s 1st in a lot of draft years. I’ve heard we have two generational talents this year.But generational gets tossed around a lot without really meaning the 95 percentile of 1st overalls. I might be the only one not with the program, but who all has been flat out calling him 2nd after Crosby and McDavid?

He’s about Kane’s equivalent on offense, but anyone can see his size and overall play are superior to Kane’s.

I didn’t use the term “generational” anywhere, but I don’t see that there is much debate that, and here I should qualify, at the time of the draft, there hasn’t been a prospect since Crosby with stronger credentials and performance than Jack Eichel. Except McDavid.

71 pts in 40 NCAA games is the best since Kariya’s 2PPG season in a different era. He shattered the NCAA scoring race as a freshman, going against guys mostly 3-4 years older. If McDavid didn’t exist and we’d won the lottery to get Eichel, we’d be singing similar songs of joy.

Don’t underestimate Eichel. The guy was outstanding at the WHC this year. Watching him, he’s the hockey equivalent of a baseball 5-tool guy as well. Size, speed, skating agility, playmaking, shot, high hockey IQ. Edmonton and Buffalo are very lucky!

175. Ryan says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    Woodguy,

Make sure you’re back in Edmonton in the 1st week of June.

I’m buying.

(spent a week in Sedona a few years back…dreamy).

I am still here before I fly to Vancouver on the 13th.

Any chance I can buy ring side seats? 🙂

176. Dashingsilverfox says:

Ryan: I am still here before I fly to Vancouver on the 13th.

Any chance I can buy ring side seats?

Absolutely!

We may even invite the “Old Man of the Al Gore” but he’ll probably be busy in his basement writing for 1,678 websites.

177. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Woodguy,

Sedona is fun. Pink jeep tour is actually one of the few “touristy” things to do that’s interesting. But being there you are so close to so many other interesting places. He he. I love the Southwest. I will be back in Santa Fe for two months this summer working at the famous photography school there. Such a departure from trading global markets! ha ha

Santa FeOil just doesn’t have the same ring. New MexicOil?

Hmm.

178. Dashingsilverfox says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:
    Woodguy,

Santa FeOil just doesn’t have the same ring. New MexicOil?

Hmm.

What is your Twitter handle again?

Missing your photos.

179. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Dashingsilverfox: What is your Twitter handle again?

Missing your photos.

@GmanBackpacker Phone died due to a snorkeling accident with my supposedly “waterproof” phone so haven’t been active the last little bit, although I posted a couple of night sky shots for Bruce.

180. Dashingsilverfox says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”: @GmanBackpackerPhone died due to a snorkeling accident with my supposedly “waterproof” phone so haven’t been active the last little bit, although I posted a couple of night sky shots for Bruce.

Got it…thanks.

Amazing photos.

181. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Yeah, let’s agree to move on. Tyler Johnson. Beauty of a player. Making me regret waffling and then going another direction in my playoff pool because he hadn’t shown he can play at this level yet in the playoffs.

182. Dashingsilverfox says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:
    Dashingsilverfox,

He and Gaudreau are going to change the way GM’s view undersized players in the future.

We’ll all benefit from watching that kind of skill at work.

183. misfit says:

admiralmark: Yes very sneaky by Cam Neely and company. Perhaps since the Oil have the option to give the picks up in 2-3 years things will change by then and the penalty will be removed?

The old Lamoriello trick. Wait until the last possible minute to give up the compensation/penalty pick, and then when you do, have the league decide you don’t have to give it up afterall.

Kinda like how when Burke traded us a pick as part of the Pronger deal that was conditional on making the finals, and then petition the league to change the draft seeding based on finish…that same year…as the playoffs were underway!

Took out a few offensive posts, my apologies if your tweet was part of the deletion. I’m not interested in parsing this evening, let’s proceed as if the most sensitive person on the planet was sitting next to us. thanks.

Dashingsilverfox: Absolutely!

Let me know when you’re in town, I’ll try to get ahead with the posts!!!

186. Dashingsilverfox says:

Lowetide: Let me know when you’re in town, I’ll try to get ahead with the posts!!!

Flying in on June 1st for a week.

First time in the city in 8 years.

Would love to buy you a beer…and then another one.

187. Halfwise says:

Crap! When did Dad get home?
    😉

Glad you did, on reflection it looked like there could have been some escalation there.

188. Dashingsilverfox says:

“They are the best line in the NHL, and there’s no argument about it.”

Pierre Lebrun on Tyler Johnson and his line mates.

189. AsiaOil says:

Sure I’d certainly agree on Enroth as a solid bet for a backup and perhaps a 1B if injury forced it (but I would not plan on him for that role). As I posted previously, when the Wild were looking for help in goal last January – they had two options — Dubnyk and Enroth. Cliff Fletcher asked Wild goalie coach Bob Mason for his opinion and he didn’t hesitate, he said “get Dubnyk”. Enroth just isn’t a starter or a guy who can carry a team lacking confidence.

The last two season make solid performances in net mandatory this coming season – it’s just not a time for risks and lucky charms – Bernier or Anderson thank you very much. If we were talking about Enroth strictly as a backup or short-term starter because of injury – fine – but he’s likely never going to be “the guy” we need. But the majority of your analysis I completely agree with and thanks for the work.

Woodguy: I like Enroth because:

His first four years he ranked in the top 30 in ASV% 27-20-13-16.This past year is his only blip with a 36.

He’s young.Turns 27 in June and has a ton of experience for a player his age.Its not easy to play in the NHL in your early 20’s and he did it well.

He might never be a starter and I mentioned him as a good back up.

His age and track record make him likey to have a good next few years.

5’10” has him out of fashion though.

190. GCW_69 says:

Woodguy: I looked at that stuff years ago when analyzing Fleury.

The shots/gm and gf/60 of the teams the starter faces compared to the back up are very, very close.Often the back up faced teams with better shots/gm and gf/60 than the starter.Too close to make a difference imo.

Often the starting decision has more to do with rest than compeition.

Also, you have to consider injuries.

Talbot played a lot of games this year when Lundqvist went down.

In February and March he played 25 games.That’s pretty much every game.

Performance relative to the other goalie on the team may say something. Particularly if th outperform their partner consistently. This helps adjust for quality of team mates.

191. book¡je says:

Ben:

This is perfection. Every word of it. Honestly, it’s a work of art that brought a tear to my eye. Well done!

192. book¡je says:

I’m glad it’s McClellan, I developed a dislike of Babcock in the 2006 run. He seemed somewhat petty. I know it’s irrational. In any case, this saves me from having to retire my perception of him.

193. Магия 10 says:

NYCOIL "Taking Photos": He’s above Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, Yakupov, RNH, Mackinnon in NHLE. Erik Johnson we won’t count here.

Thanks. I tune out generational as well and have not looked at NHLE for college players. Will look closer.

194. russ99 says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

Agree, but if we trade McDavid for a bunch of young defensemen that may not pan out and Eichel, who despite his obvious elite skill will have the usual NCAA vs. Juniors learning curve at the pro level due to much less games played and much less focus on fundamentals critical to NHL success.

So we could be really disappointed in that move 1-2 years down the road, especially if McDavid takes off as expected.

3-1 or 4-1 trades where we give up the best player rarely work out as expected… Hence the Thrashers Kovalchuk trade correlation.

195. PhrankLee says:

I don’t think the term generational has been thrown around too much. We didn’t hear that about Aaron Ekblad, Taylor Hall, Yak or RNH. (maybe a little with RNH).

The term is fitting for both players.

I’m pretty sure many people don’t grasp how much McDavid changes everything. He is more than generational. Even stratospheric.

Eichel appears, by all accounts, to be generational as well. He is miles ahead by every metric than the 3rd.

His learning curve will not be as steep as some would think. In fact due to his size and positional prowess he may out perform our guy for a half season or so.

196. theres oil in virginia says:

It’s my understanding that there are different levels of “waterproof”. Some devices can get wet briefly, some can be submerged briefly, but not below some depth, etc.

I enjoy perusing your site from time to time. Thanks for sharing those pics.

197. Rondo says:

What is generational ?

198. wheatnoil says:

I don’t know why this tickled me so much this morning, but it does strike me as the most Saskatchewan headline ever…

Beer stolen after Moose Jaw man attacked with bear spray http://t.co/LvWx5NU9fR— CBC Saskatchewan (@CBCSask) May 19, 2015

199. TheGreatMutato says:

wheatnoil:

How about the one from the other day about arrests following a heated game of Monopoly in North Battleford? “Alcohol may have been a factor.”