TAKEAWAYS FROM THE MCLELLAN PC

A major day in Oilers history, as Todd McLellan arrived in the city and was announced as Edmonton’s new coach. There is much to get to this afternoon, so let’s get started.

• Chiarelli on why McLellan? “Watching his teams over the years, he’s taken teams with young players and taken them to a higher level, I’ve seen what he’s done with those players. Taking young skill players and teaching them to play hard.”
  • McLellan on why Edmonton? “Once I met with the people in this organization, I felt very comfortable with it. It fit for what I want to work for as a coach. Young players who want to win.”

If this press conference was a song, it would be “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” by Roberta Flack. Trust me. The highlights for me?

• A subtle moment when Todd McLellan was explaining his power-play success and made a point of explaining it was about the ‘why’ and the ‘how’. It struck me as such a simple—but vital—insight into the way he probably communicates, and why he is well received.
  • I was also impressed by his awareness in terms of staying up to date both in communication and strategy. These are key points in business, no reason to believe they’re less important in sports.
  • He spoke about Boyd Gordon and Andrew Ference, but also a need to have experienced and newer players in the battle together, meshed was a word I believe he used. We’ve heard ‘disconnect’ in the past, interesting McLellan’s words were less confrontational and more positive.
  • Talked about McDavid and mentioned he was a stunning player but also made certain to talk about his youth and the fact he would need support. I thought that was a great answer.

mclellan capture may 19

• McLellan: “One of the things I did in Prague was spend some time with Sidney and I asked him what it was like as a young 18-year-old coming up that way and some of the hardships he may have had or didn’t have; and some of the things he appreciated from his teammates or the organization that allowed him to blossom. It’s tough to be that player in this world, especially in a Canadian market, but Connor will be fine. He’ll get what he needs from the Oilers’ organization, the coaching staff and his teammates. And he is just one piece on the team. It’s going to be about the whole, not individuals, and that’s how we’re going to approach it.” Source

The next step for Peter Chiarelli and Todd McLellan is to find the right group for the coaching staff and suss out the 2015-16 starting roster.  In regard to changes, we’re all looking for clues but there are really none at this time. We shouldn’t be surprised if the roster opening night has many of the same players we see now and this summer may also see a major change.

The chemistry must have been something.

• McLellan: “It’s going to go up. That’s what the plan is, it’s to take the organization and begin to climb the mountain. We have to chart our path to begin with, we have to determine what we want to be and how we want to look.  We have to find the players — within the organization right now, not looking outside — and put them in the right spots. With all of that there’s pain. There’s nights where we’re not going to be pleased. But there’s four teams playing right now that experienced that throughout the year too, they have painful nights, they just have fewer of them. We’re trying to take those painful nights and diminish them throughout the years to the point where we can be at the top of the mountain.” Source

If you and I were to sit down and fashion a paragraph that eased the worried minds of the fanbase and told them that logic, good sense and competent leadership had arrived to bring a new day, I doubt we could have done better with a month of Sunday’s.

191 Responses to "TAKEAWAYS FROM THE MCLELLAN PC"

1. raventalon40 says:

We will look back fondly on this summer.

2. alberta bound edmonton says:

Welcome aboard Todd. We have been waiting for you.

3. TemujinBC says:

Dat Paragraph Tho.

Is there anyone left without optimism? From the Nadir’s Nadir… to this, now.

I hope you’re two beers in, LT. I’ll be catching up soon.

4. hoser313 says:

Seems like a smart guy.

Spoke with Crosby. Spoke with Claude Julien about working with Chiarelli. Seemed to have answers ready for the media questions.

Another win in the Nicholson era.

5. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

LT: I’m going to need you to go ahead and ban the use of TMac around here. Mkay?

6. Marc says:

7. Pouzar says:

Todd McLellan on his strategy at the WHC: “Do the opposite of Lindy Ruff.”

8. raventalon40 says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1):

What if we’re referring to Tracy McGrady?

9. Pouzar says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1):

TMc it is….perfect amount of vowels too.

10. BAWS says:

GREAT things are going to start happening. I feel like a little kid on Christmas eve.

11. Pajamah says:

On the music note, he should be Run TMC. Something about teaching our kids how to walk his way.

12. BeerMe says:

@Lowetide the second hour of your last two shows have been inaccessible on TSN (http://www.tsn.ca/radio/edmonton-1260/lowdown-w-lowetide-may-19-hour-2-1.286506), and it’s frustrating me greatly

13. Really? says:

So that is what a mature, confident, professional NHL coach sounds like. Refreshing !!!

14. stevezie says:

Rational Zealot: Why would he see the same thing?Brent Burns is and always was a dominant hockey player.Justin Schultz is an offensive defenseman who can’t pass and is sloppy with the puck.They have nothing in common.

Similarities:
    a) Many suspect both are better suited to the wing. That’s the obvious one Ribs was referring to.
    b) Based on the Burns I have seen, the greatest strengths of either player are skating and a good sense of when to join the rush. The greatest weakness of either is defensive play.

So there you go. Now, obviously Burns is better at what he’s good at, less bad at what he is bad at, bigger, stronger, has a slapshot etc etc. But still, I think if you were to call Schultz a homeless man’s Burns, there’s a case to be made.

Not that any of this matters.

For the record I favour greedily hoarding our forward talent this summer because I like what’s out there for UFA D this summer, but Matheson went on the radio today and said the opposite so maybe I’m wrong about that too.

Do we win an Eberle for Faulk deal? Yes, but I would rather have Eberle and say Erhoff (or whomever).

15. LP says:

Excellent news. And what a time to be an Oilers fan. And guess what? No playoffs, no problem!!

Team Mclellan it is.

BeerMe:

17. Магия 10 says:

raventalon40:
    We will look back fondly on this summer.

Now is the winter of our discontent
    Made glorious summer by this son of York;
    And all the clouds that low’r’d upon our house
    In the deep bosom of the ocean buried.

18. BeerMe says:

Thanks

19. czar says:

Before he even took a question he passed along his condolences to Rishaug and his family, what a class act.

20. Katzes_Kats says:

Personally I think that the reason that Darryl Katz finally woke up and decided that something needed to be done about the organization wasn’t the Connor McDavid lottery win, although that certainly helped. I think that he realized that without a good on ice product to watch, his new arena wouldn’t be full, which would diminish the shine a little bit. Therefore, he knew hat he needed to change the situation around in order to retain the season ticket holders, the year after the Rogers place opened, and to do that he needed a team that could do it, and that they would need a year at least to start turning the ship right. Thus Bob Nicholson coming in, who in turn hired Peter Chiarelli, who in turn hired Todd McLellan and BAM! you got yourself a world class management team.

Props to Katz for holding out so long.

21. rickithebear says:

Don,t expect the playoffs.

Same thing MacT said.

Nelson had a run with a cllection of nhl platers not 9 AHL players on roster.
    He had a 88 pt season pace.

With mcdavid and a year older nurse and draisatl.
    Anything less than 92 pt is a failure.

22. rickithebear says:

Our PP was #3 under Nelson good luck with making it better Todd.

23. VOR says:

I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade. However, judging the success of a new GM and a new coach before the ink on their contracts is dry seems a bit previous. Let’s wait and see if the new guys are competent in these roles on this team before concluding all the Oilers problems are in the past.

Let me ask the question this way, is there anything in what either new hire has said that leads any of you to think they believe the task ahead of them is easy or that it will be quick?

I am optimistic the Oilers have begun a long climb back to respectability and have finally started hiring high end professionals. However, I continue to suspect many of you are glossing over the years of struggle that lie ahead.

24. Richard S.S. says:

BeerMe,

They are available as Lowdon on the Lowetide podcasts if you have a Podcast App.

25. rickithebear says:

92 pts.
    That is were mact positioned us!
    92 pts

Do not care about the hatred or narative.

Nelson with 9 ahl players was at a 78 pt pace.

Were kruger had us.

92 pts.

26. Snowman says:

czar,

That was the part I was most impressed with. A guy who has been as busy as he has and with as much to think about still remembered a detail like that.

Class act is right. He is very welcome here in my books.

27. Snowman says:

VOR,

I can’t speak for everybody but I don’t expect playoffs. I just expect improvement and for the first time in forever I actually think it might happen.

It’s been so frustrating to sit here and look at the problems and have the same mistakes repeated and now to have people in place who have a history of making better decisions for the most part than what we’ve had is very encouraging.

I don’t think anybody really expects the playoffs next year. We’ve got too many holes. If we hit 85-90 points next year that would be spectacular.

VOR:

No doubt the playoffs are a distant bell and the chores aren’t any easier for sure. I do think it’s absolutely reasonable to suggest these men are more competent than the previous management and coaching, but that is to be determined.

Good bets, that’s all any of this is, although the McDavid lottery is just a ridiculous stroke of luck.

29. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Магия 10: Now is the winter of our discontent
    Made glorious summer by this son of York;
    And all the clouds that low’r’d upon our house
    In the deep bosom of the ocean buried.

(In case you’re wondering 99.99% of the time only the first line is used, changing the meaning entirely by making it seem it’s currently miserable winter, when in fact the full passage shows that it is in fact glorious summer AFTER the miserable winter)

Apologies for being an English literature snob on occasion.

30. rickithebear says:

Trite responses; non player specifics; the pinch!
    I am sooooooo comfortable with Todd Mac.
    Throws up in mouth!

31. rickithebear says:

Nelson gets us 92 pts.

We will see what SJS do without Tmac.

32. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

I fell asleep before the presser (damn it), but will listen later on. That said, anyone else focus on this line?

“…It’s going to be about the whole, not individuals, and that’s how we’re going to approach it.”

A certain other coaching hire talked about coaching individuals. That was a line that always bothered me. Yes, perhaps it was geared to a younger generation of players, but to me I’ve never seen a team of great individuals win a Stanley Cup. Nice to hear a more collective approach will be employed.

Also very nice to hear talk about how this will be a process and a painful one at that. Thank you for being honest with us and doing neither of: A) lying through your teeth and saying we’re close, or even worse B) thinking we were actually close to contention with that shambles of a centre depth chart and god-awful group of D.

33. Ducey says:

Wow, Ricki has the new guy fired 3 hrs after his 1st news conference.

TMc is to Ricki as Eakins is to Godot.

34. V.XIV.VI.I says:

stevezie: I like everything else you’re saying today, but I’m going to go ahead and disagree with you on this one minor point. Why? I have a big ego and it’s important for it to get checked every once and again.

Similarities:

Brent Burns on his worst defensive day is better than Schultz on his best.

What does this mean?

36. Younger Oil says:

VOR:

This. The past month has been incredible in bringing change to the organization, but that doesn’t turn around the past 9 years. There have been 3 or 4 times in the past 9 years where we’ve been giddy, saying that “this is the year”, or “we’re just a couple of years away”, only to be at the bottom of the standings year after year.

Don’t get me wrong, I am thrilled about the changes and apparent progress that has been made, but at this very moment, the team still has all of the holes that it did last year on the back end. This is still a process, we all still need to be patient. We still have a few awful contracts on the books that will somewhat hamper significant change. Our prospect depth still isn’t good enough to justify trading away multiple top 65 picks for the 2nd year in a row, especially when we will likely be losing two more to San Jose and Boston in the coming years.

To me, the worst thing we can do this year is to go balls out and try to fill all of these holes we have at once, especially with players like Seabrook or Burns, who have expiring contracts, would cost significant assets, and will be on the decline by the time this team is truly ready to compete for a deep playoff run.

I’m not saying sit on our hands and do nothing, but use smart asset management and make good bets in order to marginally improve this team over the past few months, and make more significant moves in the summer of 2016 when Nikitin and Purcell are off the payroll, and we truly know what McDavid brings to the team, and know what we truly need going forward.

For me, the ideal next few months would consist of:

1. Sign a free agent goalie (Neuvirth, Dubnyk if he somehow gets amnesia and wants to come back).
    2. Sign a proven top 4 Dman for a number under $5M.
    3. Package Schultz with #33 for an upgrade on Schultz.
    4. Sign Marincin.
    5. Make smart bets on draft day, especially with the #16 pick.

Then, after a year of giving Nikitin Schultz’s cherry-picked minutes (though now only 15 a game), and playing Purcell with Hall and McDavid to get him 50-60 points (ideally), trade them at the deadline for a decent return, depending on the market.

Then, after they are off the books, in the summer of 2016, some more significant moves can be made, for a top pairing D (if Nurse and Klefbom haven’t already developed into that role, this year could make a big difference).

Sorry for the long post, I just really think that we can’t go all in for this coming season, it could really set back this team. Patience is necessary, especially with the age of our core.

37. rickithebear says:

I had faith in the teams direction under Nelson.
    I just listened to a coach that said the same things eakins did!

The only thing that makes me believe in him was moving crosby away from landers line in the Swe game an sheltering him with the oilers.

38. bobisafan says:

Just thinking about what transpired today, good hire for coach. Hope charelli throws irons in the fire for help in net and on the blue line. Also keeping Mac t around to learn the job helps for the future. Just hoping Todd Nelson is part of the staff going forward. Now, a camTalbot, Brent Seabrook, and Seth Jones, and away we go. Whadda think.

39. V.XIV.VI.I says:

Woodguy:

What does this mean?

MacT’s assistant GM role is purely cosmetic.

40. G Money says:

This is an incredible hire. If Babcock stays where he is, TMicmac is the best available coach out there, by far.

If Babcock moves, Teemac is the second best available coach by a slim margin.

Todd McLellan teams are superbly coached, with players top to bottom paying attention to the key factors of the game, large and small. The PP is a beast and the set plays off faceoffs are the class of the league. They play an aggressive, uptempo style and are possession monsters.

Five weeks ago, the idea of a coach of this calibre willing to come to the shit show that is the Oilers would have been laughable. Today it is a reality. Woot, in other words.

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

Written hundreds of years ago, and yet so incredibly spot on in describing the winter of our discontent (Lowe, MacT, Eakins) and now our glorious summer (Nicholson, Chia, Mc2, Mc1). Was Bill an Oilers fan?

VOR: Let’s wait and see if the new guys are competent in these roles on this team before concluding all the Oilers problems are in the past.

What we can say without hesitation is that the new guys have been demonstrably more than competent in these same roles in other, more successful organizations. It’s not a guarantee of success here, but it is a huge improvement over rookies hiring rookies and is a change to be celebrated in its own right.

41. V.XIV.VI.I says:

bobisafan:
    Also keeping Mac t around to learn the job helps for the future.

Nope. Keep him far away from any decisions. MacT has psychological blindspots the size of a barn and his ability to evaluate talent is on par with Mike Milbury.

42. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Woodguy,

Oh sir purveyor of Wood and sample sizes. Kudos on your Schneider call, but I think my point got missed there. It wasn’t that people weren’t calling for Schneider to be elite. I think plenty of people were saying that, but he’d never gotten a chance to show it fully. Schneider was a curious case because the Canucks even anointed him the starter and promised to trade Luongo before inexplicably trading both.

My point was that Schneider may be a couple of years older now, but in real life he’d cost more to acquire now than then because he didn’t yet have the same track record before handling 70 starts and maintaining his elite play. And NJ paid a steep price to get him banking on the fact he would be that guy; they were right.

Talbot, on the other hand, is in a bit of a different situation and has an even smaller sample size, and you’re a hero in my books already but would elevate your status to Super Hero (TM) if Talbot becomes the next Schneider because that’s a call you are sticking your neck out on (kind of like I was going on about, ahem, Adam Larsson as the Oilers’ D target numero uno in 2013-2014 and encountered crickets. Of course, I didn’t eloquently and efficiently state my case and back it up with numbers on a blog then so that’s apples to oranges). Anyway, as I said after reading your goalie post, excellent work, and would love to read more after you enjoy Sedona and the Southwest, possibly one of my favourite corners of the world, certainly top 5 (and that’s no small sample size we’re talking about: 43 countries, 400 cities, 4 round-the-world trips or so 😉 ).

43. LadiesloveSmid says:

rickithebear:
    Nelson gets us 92 pts.

We will see what SJS do without Tmac.

I think McLellen’s track record is a little more dependable Ricki, but I know you don’t fancy the sample size debate

What if the coaching staff has McLellen, Woodcroft, and Nelson?

44. G Money says:

rickithebear: I had faith in the teams direction under Nelson.
    I just listened to a coach that said the same things eakins did!

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Presumably Todd McLellan’s 311-163-66 record is just fluke, or coincidence.
    And Todd Nelson’s 17-25-9 record is conclusive proof that he’s better.

You swear a lot at others and call them names, but you know what? That is outright fucking stupid.

Like Fistric > Weber stupid.
    Like Aulie > Petry stupid.

Sorry, Ricki, I sense a pattern, and it’s not a good one.

45. G Money says:

LadiesloveSmid,

You are far more polite and tolerant of Teh Dumb than am I!

46. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

V.XIV.VI.I: MacT’s assistant GM role is purely cosmetic.

Visually better!

shakes fist at Pou…

47. LadiesloveSmid says:

G Money: Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Presumably Todd McLellan’s 311-163-66 record is just fluke, or coincidence.
    And Todd Nelson’s 17-25-9 record is conclusive proof that he’s better.

You swear a lot at others and call them names, but you know what?That is outright fucking stupid.

Like Fistric > Weber stupid.
    Like Aulie > Petry stupid.

Sorry, Ricki, I sense a pattern, and it’s not a good one.

I’ve always been curious how

Nikitin-Fayne
    Fistric-Lovejoy
    Aulie-Bellemore

would do under Ricki’s foolproof analytics

48. leadfarmer says:

raventalon40,

LOL, from now on I’ll just call Todd McLellan “Tracy McCrady” because of people calling him TMac

and while I’m at it I will call Darnell Nurse “Little Chunky Soup”

49. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Also, to state for the record, I am not in the trade Eberle camp. I was feeding D-men target ideas to Rational Zealot, but moving Eberle is robbing Peter to pay Paul at this time.

Current RW depth chart is:
    Eberle (proven top line RW)
    crickets
    Yakupov (all kinds of potential but has never put it together for even half a season)
    more crickets

Remove Eberle and that puts all kinds of ridiculous pressure on Yakupov and all our eggs in one basket on the right side.

50. Jordan says:

So Katz is having a sti down with Satan.

Katz: “What do I have to do to get the Oilers to win a Stanley Cup?”

Satan: I’ll sell you one cup per soul.

Katz: Already sold it to build my Pharma-empire. What about some lackeys?

Satan: They already sold theirs to win as players.

Katz: Well Damn.

Satan: Exactly. Well, I can’t help you. You’d need God, Jesus and St. Peter to get that done now.

Katz: I’ve got Todd, Peter, and McJesus.

Satan: Meh. Close enough.

51. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Jordan,

Slow clap. You should drop the mic and just walk off. Since we’re on to plays and such as well, might as well make it “exit stage left.”

52. VOR says:

GMoney, one of the things I have learned the hard way is that success is situational. At times it doesn’t translate well from one organization to another. Not to mention that the math indicates coaches in their first year tend to have records closer to the team they are joining than the one they left. As a long time coach with a record of success it pains me to say that but sadly, it is true.

53. Yeti says:

Woodguy: I’m very confused about the part of slotting the players in correct spots on the depth chart and not throwing them into the deep end with an anvil.

What does this mean?

It means they have a clue about winning, if that was ever a concern.

54. raventalon40 says:

V.XIV.VI.I: MacT’s assistant GM role is purely cosmetic.

A necessity, considering Chiarelli is “banned” from participating in the draft.

55. raventalon40 says:

leadfarmer:
    raventalon40,

LOL,from now on I’ll just call Todd McLellan “Tracy McCrady” because of people calling him TMac

and while I’m at it I will call Darnell Nurse “Little Chunky Soup”

I basically grew up on Chunky Soup and Eggs & Spam (sorry kidneys, sorry liver), so I approve.

56. Klima's_Bucket says:

rickithebear,

You’re not an actual bear Ricki are you?
    Ricki…Ricki…Where’d you go?

57. G Money says:

VOR,

Indeed. The number of coaches that have won Stanley Cups and later been fired (by the same or a different team) is legion.

Nonetheless, hiring an experienced coach with a track record of success and whose hallmark has been superbly coached teams (with players who would follow him where he goes as a lagniappe e.g. witness Burns’ comment) is an enormous improvement over hiring coaches with a poor track record, or no track record at all.

It is not a guarantee of success – and I’ve seen no comments suggesting anything along those lines – but it is evidence of a change in process which is now reflective of a successful organization and not a failing one, and deserves to be celebrated as such.

58. Dashingsilverfox says:

V.XIV.VI.I: MacT’s assistant GM role is purely cosmetic.

I believe he is the “Hind Banana”

59. G Money says:

Dashingsilverfox: I believe he is the “Hind Banana”

Does this mean Lowe is now the “hind teat”? Or is that just what he’s suckling at?

60. G Money says:

Klima’s_Bucket: You’re not an actual bear Ricki are you?

I am 99% certain he is an actual bear.

Yeti: It means they have a clue about winning, if that was ever a concern.

Perfect.

Dashingsilverfox: I believe he is the “Hind Banana”

Winner!

63. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

G Money: I am 99% certain he is an actual bear.

So that’s where my picnic basket went!

64. Halfwise says:

G Money:
    VOR,

Indeed.The number of coaches that have won Stanley Cups and later been fired (by the same or a different team) is legion.

Lagniappe! Someone has been in the company of good southern people.

I’ve heard it with two meanings: an unexpected bonus, and some unexpected flexibility. Well played here, sir.

65. blainer says:

Ducey:
    Wow, Ricki has the new guy fired 3 hrs after his 1st news conference.

TMc is to Ricki as Eakins is to Godot.

LOL… that was good.. I understand Ricki’s thoughts.. I was expecting more from the presser myself… But he is a huge upgrade on Eakins and his record is outstanding. He is the COACH and not the GM and we all need to remember that it is his job to coach. It is now up to PC to get the right roster in order for him to succeed.. Scotty Bowman in his prime could not coach this team in its current form even with CMD… We will have a fair idea of next years roster by July 2nd..

66. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

Making the playoffs is not ‘that’ hard. Staying in them and winning in them is. The last few weeks have shown that people that know what to do can get things done quickly.

The Oilers are not a typical bottom feeder because of luck. If Chi finds 3 average players they will take off you can book it. I don’t think they will win a round necessarily but once they start rolling they will be a force reg season.

67. Dashingsilverfox says:

While we are far better off than we were a month ago under the 6 Ring Circus®, I think it’s also important to inject a dose of reality into the situation.

Todd McLellan had a very talented roster to work with but his record in San Jose is interesting.

2007/08 (The season BEFORE McLellan was hired)

2nd in the NHL with 108 PTS and a .659 win percentage

2013/14

5TH in the NHL 111PTS .667

2014/15

21ST in the NHL 89PTS .543

Regular Season win percentage: .637

Playoff win percentage: .484

What I see is a coach that inherited a very strong team and was able to keep them playing at a high level but was unable to get them to the next level.

Ron Wilson coached the Sharks for 5 seasons before McLellan took over. Here is his record:

2002/03

25TH in the NHL 73PTS .445

2003/04

3RD in the NHL 104PTS .634

2005/06

11TH in the NHL 101 PTS .604

2006/07

3RD in the NHL 107PTS .652

2007/08

2ND in the NHL 108 .659

The reality of the situation is that it was Ron Wilson who coached the team to new heights and McLellan took over a team playing at a very high level.

McLellan’s best season in SJ was his 1ST with a .713 win percentage and, while the Sharks didn’t fall off a cliff until this past season, they were not the dominant team they should have been given their personnel.

Their win percentage in the playoffs, .484, speaks for itself.

I also think it’s going to be important going forward to keep an eye on Chiarelli since he messed up the Bruins’ cap situation pretty badly and that was likely the reason (along with Neeley’s evil ways) that he got fired.

Perhaps he’s learned from his mistakes but Lowe and MacT never did.

In any event…watch what they do…not what they say.

68. Kris11 says:

While we are far better off

“We?”

Seriously?

69. Pouzar says:

Not sure about playoffs but I am certain of improvement IF they want it. I think with all the talk of big game hunting for a #1 d-man we forget about the drastic improvement this team could experience just by jettisoning FSN the **** off this team and replacing them with even league avg d-men. It’s not THAT hard of a task for a GM of Chia’s ability imo. But if we come back with all three I am back to 7 day a week binge drinking. So, while excited, I await with cautious optimism and an anxious liver.

70. speeds says:

stevezie:

One might well prefer Eberle and Ehrhoff (for argument’s sake, let’s say at 5M) vs. Faulk, but what about vs. Faulk and the ~6M EDM would have in the other scenario?

71. blainer says:

Pouzar:

Addition by subtraction for FSN.. if all three are on this team next year you won’t be the only one binge drinking.. I would have to suspect that the new management and new coaching staff were consistently on the same binge which would be every game day…

72. Ryan says:

G Money:
    VOR,

Nonetheless, hiring an experienced coach with a track record of success and whose hallmark has beensuperbly coached teams (with players who would follow him where he goes as a lagniappe e.g. witness Burns’ comment) is an enormous improvement over hiring coaches with a poor track record, or no track record at all.

Reading this and other posts helped me to realize just how low my expectations for this organization are…

Todd Mclellan?

While I have always loved the Sharks style of hockey, it’s worth noting that Mclellan is the most qualified coach the oilers have had ever. period.

My brain still is having some difficulty processing the gap between hiring former Oilers or long shot potential coaches to hiring an actual NHL coach in his prime that would rightfully be coveted by most teams in the NHL.

Todd Mclellan bitches.

73. Магия 10 says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”: Thank you, for perhaps being the first person in the history of the internet to use this Shakespeare passage in its proper and just meaning and place.

Apologies for being an English literature snob on occasion.

Odd that the opening line could be taken so out of context.

There is a tide…

74. Gordies Elbow says:

To people trying to keep up at home:
    – 35 days ago, Peter Chiarelli was fired as Boston’s GM.
    – 31 days ago, Edmonton won the right to pick 1st overall.
    – 29 days ago, Bob Nicholson was hired as CEO.
    – 4 days ago, likely pick(tm) Connor McDavid wins the OHL playoff MVP
    – 2 days ago, Hall and Eberle are coached by Todd McLellan and Jay Woodcroft to an undefeated gold medal in Prague. Taylor Hall 1st team left wing, both players in top 5 in scoring
    – less than 1 day ago, Todd McLellan and Jay Woodcroft joined the Oilers as head coach and part of the coaching staff.

Wow.

Did I mention Connor Mc”Freaking”David!!!!!

75. wheatnoil says:

Dashingsilverfox
    In any event…watch what they do…not what they say.

Although I don’t agree with everything in your post, I believe these words are sage advice. Chiarelli and McLellan both have good track records, so I am more optimistic than I was a month ago. However, I liked the early verbal from previous Oiler hires and was led to disappointment.

This is a good day for the franchise. How good will be determined by the moves to come. I like the McLellan hire, perhaps even more than a Babcock hire, though it’s close, however this team will live and die next season based on the state of the defense and goaltending, not on the head coach. On that front, we wait for the summer.

76. Dashingsilverfox says:

Kris11:
    While we are far better off

“We?”

Seriously?

It’s the Royal we.

77. square_wheels says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

I’ve been all over the weakness that is our RW, some nice options out there in UFA land. I see this as 2 options:
    1 – we project McDavid’s ideal winger and identify them in a reasonable value deal for 3-5 yrs. Lets use everyone’s favourite former Sabre , drew stafford or how about Frolik. After 2 yrs if Yakcity looks to be the best choice as 97s finisher, this player gets hard minutes on the Nuge line and we flip Ebs or Yak for the best deal considering one still have 2 yrs left on his 6m deal and the other is inflated value eating soft minutes collecting mcD’s garbage
    2 – we sign a 32+ vet to shelter Yak (1-2yr) that can at minimum keep pace with McD and offer protection both physical and defensive. There are less of these players in UFA then I’d like, but let’s use Joel Ward or justin Williams. I can see either of those taking 3+ but the allure of riding shotgun with the next one appeals

Looking back on chicagos best move, and Detroit and Boston did it as well, was gathering vets for a couple years to shelter the kids but also identifying elite by aging vets that have minimal serious injury concern or have had the ACL/shoulder surgeries rehabbed.

I’m still more focussed on D but this year needs to be about protecting 97, sheltering Yak a little bit less and sorting out the new pairs up front. Who knows , in camp we find out 97 loves a Yakimov or a big Finn on his flank.

78. square_wheels says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Thanks DSF, great song stuck in my head now.

79. Kitchener says:

Marc: Just think, in an alternate universe we’ve spent the last month arguing about Strome vs. Marner and getting pissed off about the latest thing MacT said about being patient.

Tweak: In 9 out of 10 alternate universes…

80. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

Gordies Elbow,

GE – you bring good things to light!

81. John Chambers says:

Dashingsilverfox: It’s the Royal we.

I threw stones from the opposite shore and mocked the faithful for too long. You may offer your commentary but ‘you’ and ‘us’ don’t make ‘we’ and it was entirely your decision time and time again.

82. rickithebear says:

G Money: Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Presumably Todd McLellan’s 311-163-66 record is just fluke, or coincidence.
    And Todd Nelson’s 17-25-9 record is conclusive proof that he’s better.

Like Fistric > Weber stupid.
    Like Aulie > Petry stupid.

Sorry, Ricki, I sense a pattern, and it’s not a good one.

Fistric is top 15 in evga/60 facing 2nd/3rd comp and top 15 pkga.

Petry,s in the 3.00. Range. I want to win!

You know what i pointed out!

Your post is a mother fucking shit coward act!

You maybe too STUPID to realize that!

83. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

And now for a bit of a relaxing story: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=768235

“For being a short-term event, we were really organized in the way we needed to play,” Crosby said. “That [preliminary-round] game against Sweden, we’re down 3-0, [McLellan] came in and definitely sent a message to us that we needed to be better (Canada won 6-4).

84. square_wheels says:

If I’m down a goal in the SC finals, game 7, 2min to go in the 3rd, the first on my list of dmen I want making the outlet pass is Duncan Keith. Jesus Murphy his passes are laser accurate and he never seems to lose a step, conditioning is off the charts.

85. rickithebear says:

Todd M said nick and Mact contacted him before ciarelli highering
    He is Mact,s choice.

86. bendelson says:

I’ve been holding something back and well, I think the time has come to add my voice to the ensemble…

*clears throat

WWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTT!!!!
    WWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTT!!!!

87. theres oil in virginia says:

Kris11:
    While we are far better off

“We?”

Seriously?

I’ve logged out and back in, rebooted my computer, and power-cycled the wireless router. The problem is NOT on my end! Anybody got the number for tech support?

88. frjohnk says:

Gordies Elbow:
    To people trying to keep up at home:– 35 days ago, Peter Chiarelli was fired as Boston’s GM.– 31 days ago, Edmonton won the right to pick 1st overall.– 29 days ago, Todd McLellan and Jay Woodcroft “mutually” left the San Jose Sharks.– 29 days ago, Bob Nicholson was hired as CEO.– 25 days ago, Peter Chiarelli was hired as POHO and GM, and Kevin Lowe was moved to a non-hockey-ops position. Laforge let go, MacTavish retained in an unnamed position– 5 days ago, Leon Draisaitl named WHL playoff MVP, leading his team to the memorial cup– 4 days ago, likely pick(tm) Connor McDavid wins the OHL playoff MVP– 2 days ago,Hall and Eberle are coached by Todd McLellan and Jay Woodcroft to an undefeated gold medal in Prague. Taylor Hall 1st team left wing, both players in top 5 in scoring–less than 1 day ago, Todd McLellan and Jay Woodcroft joined the Oilers as head coach and part of the coaching staff.

Wow.

Did I mention Connor Mc”Freaking”David!!!!!

4 months to go until the season starts but Id say this is the biggest best offseason the oilers have ever had. (“best” eliminates the Gretzky trade)

89. rickithebear says:

Gordies Elbow:

Wow.

Did I mention Connor Mc”Freaking”David!!!!!

Thanks for the timeline!

Awesome and Calming!

90. Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker) says:

rickithebear,

Here’s some things to work on.

4.23 Write in full sentences so people have some semblance of what you’re saying.
    7.92 Cite and use numbers in a logical way
    345 Realize sample size is important
    -4 Be less passionate between random number dropping. It makes you seem insane.
    145/0 Admit you’re wrong sometimes
    i Stop picking the opposite viewpoint for no logical reason
    e^sqrt(56) Be nice

91. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

theres oil in virginia,

Better flush the cache and try a static IP first. And maybe check that the power cord is plugged in, like this: http://i.imgur.com/ir0JiyM.jpg

92. Kris11 says:

Dashingsilverfox: It’s the Royal we.

“While I am far better off than I was a month ago under the 6 Ring Circus®,”

So either you are not using the royal we or you used to work for Kevin Lowe until a month ago.

93. Kris11 says:

You used “we” to say you are now an Oilers fan.

94. flyfish1168 says:

I am very happy for Andrew Cogliano another Ex-Oiler that was miscasted

95. admiralmark says:

Gordies Elbow:

Wow.

Did I mention Connor Mc”Freaking”David!!!!!

96. Dashingsilverfox says:

John Chambers: I dunno. As the outspoken critic of all things Oiler and harasser of ‘optimistic’ fans, I’m not sure I’m comfortable with allowing you on the bandwagon.

admiralmark: Is it wrong this almost made me cry. I feel like as a fan i’ve been drifting at sea for many years now surviving off eating raw fish I catch on my make shift fishing line. And now in this last month it’s like a Carnival cruise ship found me and brought me on board to their all you can eat buffett and free booze. And you know who else is on this cruise ship? CONNOR FREAKIN MCDAVID!!

Of course I was right all along.

97. LadiesloveSmid says:

Imagine how sad we’d all be right now had Edmonton not won the lottery. Maybe no Chiarelli or McLellen. We’d all be talking ourselves into Strome. Thank the good Gords

McDavid, McLellen, only Mc I can think of is Andrew McDonald so I’ll work on that. McBain? bring back McSorley?

98. square_wheels says:

flyfish1168,

He’s a serious candidate for a Selke , think that’s gonna come someday.

99. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Not sure if some of you are actually shocked but DSF was an Oilers fan all along. He just decided he’d had enough of management and took the Devil’s position against them on everything. He is cautiously dipping his toes back in the water, but MacT and Lowe are still around and so he’s waffling a bit. Hedging his bets.

Now that being said, welcome to have at him for that slip of the pronoun. ha ha.

100. LadiesloveSmid says:

Kris11:
    You used “we” to say you are now an Oilers fan.

What team is DTF a fan of? Canucks? Flames? No one else can be so aggressively against the oil

101. gr8one says:

Jordan:
    So Katz is having a sti down with Satan.

Katz: “What do I have to do to get the Oilers to win a Stanley Cup?”

Satan: I’ll sell you one cup per soul.

Katz:Already sold it to build my Pharma-empire.What about some lackeys?

Satan: They already sold theirs to win as players.

Katz:Well Damn.

Satan: Exactly. Well, I can’t help you.You’d need God, Jesus and St. Peter to get that done now.

Katz: I’ve got Todd, Peter, and McJesus.

Satan:Meh.Close enough.

Awesome.

102. oliveoilers says:

Apologies for being an English literature snob on occasion.

Ha, I remember you getting angry at me for doing that! But in my defence, we didn’t have a son of York to qualify it, so it WAS just our winter of discontent if you conveniently forget what comes next.

Just finished Conn Iggulden’s Trinity, his second book about the Wars of the Roses. Lot’s of sons of York in there!

York (Jorvik) has to be my favourite city of the planet.

It was the best of times, it was the blurst….

103. theres oil in virginia says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1): check that the power cord is plugged in, like this: http://i.imgur.com/ir0JiyM.jpg

Actually, I think that is the correct fix.

104. HiddenDarts says:

Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker):
    rickithebear,

Here’s some things to work on.

7.92 Cite and use numbers in a logical way
    345 Realize sample size is important
    -4 Be less passionate between random number dropping. It makes you seem insane.
    145/0 Admit you’re wrong sometimes
    i Stop picking the opposite viewpoint for no logical reason
    e^sqrt(56) Be nice

Yep. I’m gonna nominate this post as the Internet Win of the day.

105. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

As an Oiler fan for 31 years now, I was pretty close to giving up under MacT/Eakins. When we kept having new nadirs below points we thought we couldn’t get any lower.

So ironic for me that one of the lowest points I’ve ever felt as an Oiler fan foreshadowed one of the highest. That 5-1 loss to the Leafs on HNIC in Toronto that I paid for a platinum ticket 4th row for and went to alone in hostile territory, had to drink away my sorrows with rum and cokes to get through that game, in my drunkenness I bid on and won that autographed McDavid jersey, thinking…eh, if he becomes that good, I could probably sell it for cost and it won’t kill me. If heaven forbid he becomes a Leaf, I might even be able to flip it for a small gain. I dared not dream I could simply wear that jersey to an Oiler game.

Did I mention WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!?

106. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

oliveoilers,

Ha ha, sorry! I didn’t mean you specifically at all.

107. Ryan says:

speeds: Sure, but you also can’t ignore the money or alternatives if they traded Eberle for Faulk (not that I’m saying either side definitely would)

This sort of reminds me of when Dellow got destroyed on Twitter (iirc at the end of the 2012 season) when he asked about trading Eberle for Doughty.

Faulk is a rhs who puts up crazy numbers for a dman.

108. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Ryan,

Ya, not to mention Carolina has Skinner, who when healthy is something like an Eberle, while aside from Faulk and Fleury they really have not a lot going on on D. Coupled with the fact Faulk is a US national team D-man and on a very reasonable long-term contract, I can’t see them trading Faulk for Eberle. A king’s ransom it would cost.

109. John Chambers says:

LadiesloveSmid,

Steve McIntyre!

BeerMe:

Subscribing to Soundcloud relieved me of that frustration.

NYCOIL "Taking Photos":
    Woodguy,

Talbot, on the other hand, is in a bit of a different situation and has an even smaller sample size, and you’re a hero in my books already but would elevate your status to Super Hero (TM) if Talbot becomes the next Schneider because that’s a call you are sticking your neck out on (kind of like I was going on about, ahem, Adam Larsson as the Oilers’ D target numero uno in 2013-2014 and encountered crickets. Of course, I didn’t eloquently and efficiently state my case and back it up with numbers on a blog then so that’s apples to oranges). Anyway, as I said after reading your goalie post, excellent work, and would love to read more after you enjoy Sedona and the Southwest, possibly one of my favourite corners of the world, certainly top 5 (and that’s no small sample size we’re talking about: 43 countries, 400 cities, 4 round-the-world trips or so ).

Oh, I got your point.

I just never miss an opportunity to pat myself on the back.

Also,

Thanks for the kind words.

You’re a peach sir.

112. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Woodguy,

Ah fair, carry on then!

113. Ryan says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:

Did I mention WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!?

So you were an Oilers fan 10 years before you were born? That dude in photos at your blog whom I presumed to be yourself sure looks young.,. No crime in looking young…

🙂

With your background in the markets, you were my one hope for someone who could find a valuation algo based on supply and demand for players based on age, contract, and position.

I suspect many at this blog overvalue wingers vs dmen especially relative to actual market value.

I.e. Jordan Eberle… 25 year old top line right winger @ 6 m cap x …

Vs Justin Faulk. RHS offenseman who’s 23…

114. Halfwise says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1):
    theres oil in virginia,

theres oil in virginia,

Look carefully. The power bar won’t work because the little switch is turned off…

🙂

115. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Ryan,

Ha ha. I get that a lot. I actually use it to my advantage these days, whenever I get carded at a restaurant, I bet the waiter the first round that he/she can’t guess within 5 years of my age. Never lost.

We absolutely could build an algo like that but it wouldn’t be of much use because the cap and the free agent market in a given year affect the market values wildly. UFA D-men this summer should get paid, goalies not so much. So it’s hard to usefully compare year to year when the market dynamics are so different.

What would work is applying the any number of advanced stats metrics out there (eg. Corsi) to arrive at a Wins Above Replacement type number, then establishing what the UFA value is in millions of dollars per WAR, just like in baseball. So if a replacement level player–one that can be found still sitting around on the market in the first week of August has an average Corsi/Fenwick/EV Save Pct of X, how much are all the free agents who get paid Y returning in terms of those advanced stats above this replacement level player? And then we can arrive at a market dollar value for WAR. And then identify bargain contracts and overpaid contracts based on that market metric.

Hmm. Needs more thought.

116. frjohnk says:

Geeks, nerds and all other fellow who are interested.
    4h
    WAR On Ice @war_on_ice

“Upgrades in progress, so there are glitches. But we now have a goalie table and high-danger scoring chances on our game pages.”

There sure are some bugs. For instance, right now it is showing Dominc Moore led the league in “individual high danger chances” with 323 and Jason Blake somehow played 1 game and got 136 “individual high scoring chances”.

Not sure about their definition of a “high danger chance” but I will be following.

rickithebear:

Your post is a mother fucking shit coward act!

You maybe too STUPID to realize that!

Ricki?

118. flyfish1168 says:

square_wheels:
    flyfish1168,

He’s a serious candidate for a Selke , think that’s gonna come someday.

I would love to see Andrew win this award too. But some guy named Kesler is probably ahead at this moment.

119. LadiesloveSmid says:

Ryan: So you were an Oilers fan 10 years before you were born?That dude in photos at your blog whom I presumed to be yourself sure looks young.,. No crime in looking young…

I.e. Jordan Eberle…25 year oldtop line right winger @ 6 m cap x …

Vs Justin Faulk.RHS offenseman who’s 23…

Carolina’s defence is really weak as is and I think they know they have a stud in Faulk. It’d seriously probably take Hall and even then they’d have nothing but Ryan Murphy(suspect at NHL level) and Haydn Fleury (disappointing draft+1) to build on. Seems like the most untouchable piece on the team.

Buff/Burns ideal. Spurgeon/Wizniewski realistic. Aim for Michalek/Martin in UFA, maybe Franson/Green if you find the right deal for Schultz. Don’t mortgage the future or any core members

120. Pouzar says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:

Did I mention WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!?

Kris11: The royal “we” is a synonym for “I.” The Queen says, “We are not amused” and she means “I am not amused.” Thus, if you are using the royal we, your claim would be as follows:

“While I am far better off than I was a month ago under the 6 Ring Circus®,”

DSF was an Edmontonian and Oiler fan way back.

He’s been angry at Lowe’ incompetence and what it did to the team he cheered for much longer than the rest of us.

122. LadiesloveSmid says:

frjohnk:
    Geeks, nerds and all other fellow who are interested.
    4hWAR On Ice @war_on_ice

There sure are some bugs.For instance, right now it is showing Dominc Moore led the league in “individual high danger chances” with 323 and Jason Blake somehow played 1 game and got 136 “individual high scoring chances”.

I still can’t believe I witnessed that Jason Blake game live. It was like nothing you’d ever seen I swear, especially from a 41 year old retiree.

123. Ryan says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

Haha no worries. Same here. Years ago when I was 26, I was on a flight for headed to Toronto for a medical residency interview. I wasn’t particularly in the mood for conversation and the guy sitting next to me asked me a question and I just told him that I was a student. He looked at me very closely, then asked, “oh, which grade are you in?”

Anyway, I have a theory about NHL dmen… I’ll go into details later…

Teams that don’t find top pairing dmen don’t see the playoffs often… They’re almost impossible to come by via trade unless your name is Glen… many teams waste too many picks on wingers. It’s a risk reward thing that I would need more time to articulate better.

frjohnk:
    Geeks, nerds and all other fellow who are interested.
    4hWAR On Ice @war_on_ice

High Danger is high slot and low slot only.

Here’s a link to their glossary, scroll to the bottom.

125. Pouzar says:

I think Darnell Nurse will be better than Seth Jones.

There, I said it. I feel much better. Flame away.

126. Ryan says:

Woodguy: DSF was an Edmontonian and Oiler fan way back.

He’s been angry at Lowe’ incompetence and what it did to the team he cheered formuch longer than the rest of us.

The Talisker is on me if I can finally meet both of you, lol.

Ryan: The Talisker is on me if I can finally meet both of you, lol.

I even let you buy me two drinks!

Ha!

128. Kmart99 says:

Pouzar:
    I think Darnell Nurse will be better than Seth Jones.

There, I said it. I feel much better. Flame away.

I’ve been thinking it. It takes courage to speak one’s thoughts. That and a pair of testicles.

129. rickithebear says:

Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker):
    rickithebear,

Here’s some things to work on.

7.92 Cite and use numbers in a logical way
    345 Realize sample size is important
    -4 Be less passionate between random number dropping. It makes you seem insane.
    145/0 Admit you’re wrong sometimes
    i Stop picking the opposite viewpoint for no logical reason
    e^sqrt(56) Be nice

4.23 – I have stated my lack of spelling and vocabulary depth.

So you are being a language elitist Prick!
    Did I spell that correct!

7.92 A logical way?
    Restricted Math!
    Oh do it your way!
    What you cannot visualize the trend and form in a small data set.
    Most of the people here have a higher level of Uni math than me.
    But common sense!
    A 2.50 EVGF/60 player does not outscore a 2.78 EVGA?60 Dman.
    who Knew!

345
    It is important to academics.
    Not trending.
    you use the data set you have.
    If there is a repetitive peer trend.
    even small sample.
    it is the trend.
    Until a larger data set says otherwise.

High centered RCM.
    The guy who created the Boeing 767 Maint Checklist.
    taught me that one.

Hockey is gravity based Physics.
    Most cases the trend does not change.
    It just gets 5 decimal places more accurate.
    Which is important to the Academics.

I went to Uni twice.
    1st time Pub Admin in commerce program. 80, 81 16,17 yr

2nd time Chemistry/Physics 85 -88 21-24yr
    specializing in Organic Crystalline Theory
    concentrating in light interaction (laser) with organic compounds.
    which is now refered to as Carbon Allotrope study.

I often had interesting science discussions with dads Space Friends.
    The number of forms of carbon in space discussion at age 11.

-4 Fan!

140/0 have you been here from the start?

i : Chess and debate club.
    A Friend who loved critical reasoning stated it was important to present an inaccurate and irrational
    concept to push discourse and to “just fuck with dem.”
    Ie Prick!

If you cannot argue both sides. your point of view is not objective when you take a side.

Esquirt: thanks for the advice!

130. frjohnk says:

Pouzar:
    I think Darnell Nurse will be better than Seth Jones.

There, I said it. I feel much better. Flame away.

Morrissey will be better than both cuz he will play for the Jets

131. malinpaul says:

dreamland. so we are likely to see a trade before the draft, right? possibly 16 possibly 33? maybe they include some prospects… what about a core player?

What would we need to get Brent Burns over here?

132. Pouzar says:

Kmart99: I’ve been thinking it.It takes courage to speak one’s thoughts.That and a pair of testicles.

Thx.
    But I also said after scoring 65 points Ovi was washed up, Doobie sucked, and Daigle was “can’t miss”!

But I did pick TB to win it all this year!

133. LadiesloveSmid says:

frjohnk: Morrissey will be better than both cuz he will play for the Jets

Theodore (11P in 9 AHL GP at 19) and Bigras names to watch too.

134. Ice Sage says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:

Did I mention WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!?

I’ll start the bidding at…
    (pinky to mouth)
    ninety seven millllllllllllllyon dollars

135. Pouzar says:

frjohnk: Morrissey will be better than both cuz he will play for the Jets

You are dead to me. 😛

136. rickithebear says:

Lowetide: Ricki?

My wife is pissed at me for not changing out the interior doors like i promised.
    Just a cathartic vent.

But STUPID!

It was childish play on that very intelligent man’s part.
    Followed by a childish response.

what was the line from the hockey player turned figure skater movie every guy had to see.
    “toe pick”

137. Ryan says:

Woodguy: I even let you buy me two drinks!

Ha!

Done. Just get on the plane back from Sedona. :).

138. Henry says:

frjohnk,

The Jets do have some ridiculous talent coming. And cap space now.

Ryan: Done.Just get on the plane back from Sedona.:).

I’ll be around 1st week of June

140. wheatnoil says:

I have met many individuals who speak their mind with a distinct lack of testicles. My wife, for one. 🙂

141. frjohnk says:

Pouzar: You are dead to me.

Ha ha.

In all seriousness I would not bet against what you said.

142. frjohnk says:

Henry:
    frjohnk,

The Jets do have some ridiculous talent coming.And cap space now.

Yup. They will be a force for years to come

143. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

Your venerable host had requested no T Mac.

WHO CAN BLAME HIM.

Avoid the obvious ladies.

144. pocession charge says:

rickithebear: 4.23 – I have stated my lack of spelling and vocabulary depth.

So you are being a language elitist Prick!
    Did I spell that correct!

7.92 A logical way?
    Restricted Math!
    Oh do it your way!
    What you cannot visualize the trend and form in a small data set.
    Most of the people here have a higherlevel of Uni math than me.
    But common sense!
    A 2.50 EVGF/60 player does not outscore a 2.78 EVGA?60 Dman.
    who Knew!

345
    It is important to academics.
    Not trending.
    you use the data set you have.
    If there is a repetitive peer trend.
    even small sample.
    it is the trend.
    Until a larger data set says otherwise.

High centered RCM.
    The guy who created the Boeing 767 Maint Checklist.
    taught me that one.

Hockey is gravity based Physics.
    Most cases the trend does not change.
    It just gets 5 decimal places more accurate.
    Which is important to the Academics.

I went to Uni twice.
    1st time Pub Admin in commerce program. 80, 81 16,17 yr

2nd time Chemistry/Physics 85 -88 21-24yr
    specializing in Organic Crystalline Theory
    concentrating in light interaction (laser) with organic compounds.
    which is now refered to as Carbon Allotrope study.

I often had interesting science discussions with dads Space Friends.
    The number of forms of carbon in space discussion at age 11.

-4 Fan!

140/0have you been here from the start?

i : Chess and debate club.
    AFriend who loved critical reasoning stated it was important to present an inaccurate and irrational
    concept to push discourse and to “just fuck with dem.”
    Ie Prick!

Esquirt: thanks for the advice!

That said, maybe less red meat and more berries for the next two weeks, mkay?

145. Магия 10 says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”: MacT and Lowe are still around and so he’s waffling a bit. Hedging his bets.

Hall and Seguin could leapfrog each other to the HOF, And we’d find DSF at the doorstep explaining why the one picked by Lowe is over rated

LadiesloveSmid:

#JustSayNoah to that.

147. Магия 10 says:

pocession charge: That said, maybe less red meat and more berries for the next two weeks, mkay?

You know who else ate vegetables? #Godwin

148. stevezie says:

speeds,

Good point, but when I look at the UFA market I would rather be shopping for a D than a winger.

149. G Money says:

rickithebear: Petry,s in the 3.00. Range. I want to win!
    You know what i pointed out!
    Your post is a mother fucking shit coward act!
    You maybe too STUPID to realize that!

Just a cathartic vent.
    But STUPID!
    It was childish play on that very intelligent man’s part.
    Followed by a childish response.

I am many things good and bad, but I’m pretty confident that ‘coward’ and ‘stupid’ are not among them.

You should read more carefully.

If I call *you* stupid, shame on me.

If I call your opinion that TNel > TMc, Aulie > Petry, Fistric > Weber stupid (which I did, and will again pretty much every time you bring them up), it is because I think that opinion is in fact stupid.

Note the careful distinction there. The opinion is stupid. The conclusion is stupid.

But I will do my best to not conflate my assessment of the opinion with my assessment of the person. Smart people can and do have stupid opinions. As a general rule, here they will get called on them.

Those conclusions are ridiculous and unsupported.

If your ‘statistics’ produce laughable results, you need to question the value of your stats and your analysis, not defend the laughable results. And they remain laughable, whether or not you call others names or ‘cathartically vent’.

150. G Money says:

Is TMc a generational coaching talent?

151. whiskeytangoeberle says:

Took up flyfishin earlier this year. Just caught my first fish. Parked my car like a hero on my landlord’s lawn. Nothing can stop me NOW.

(fuck all ya, every last one of ya)

152. G Money says:

Halfwise: Lagniappe! Someone has been in the company of good southern people.

Houston head office. Handful of folks from Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana.

First time they used the term, I assumed it was an acronym, assumed spelled LANYAP (which I’ve seen used in networking). Took me a while to figure out what they were actually saying!

153. G Money says:

whiskeytangoeberle,

Pffft. That’s nothing. I had asparagus with dinner and now my pee smells extra raunchy.

Marked my territory by peeing on the toilet seat like a boss.

I may have to move.

154. Stanley 2018 says:

Been thinking this afternoon about the picture being painted in Edmonton:

Todd McLellan standing behind a bench of expertly tutored players who have all bought into a tried-and-true successful system designed by an experienced coach with a track record.

Taylor Hall storms into the left zone and dishes a tape-to-tape pass to Connor McDavid, who splits the defense with a perfect precision play at full speed. He fires a shot at the net, but Goalie makes a spectacular save. The puck shoots out into the slot where Darnell Nurse, who has been giving the Visitors fits all night with his speed and unpredictable pinches, swoops in and drills the rebound in for a 3 goal lead.

This is the future, Gentleman.

What a month. WHAT a month.

156. whiskeytangoeberle says:

Hi gmoney. Lots of love fella.

157. Kmart99 says:

wheatnoil: I have met many individuals who speak their mind with a distinct lack of testicles. My wife, for one.

It’s a figure of speech. Clearly your wife has balls too. Lots of girls have balls.

158. whiskeytangoeberle says:

By the way, just want to help some folks out here. Fly fishing is way better than the internet, stupid fish eating $1.50 hooks, making one feel like a testosterone filled wilder beast. When has the internet ever done that for you?

159. whiskeytangoeberle says:

Sorry for killing the thread guys.

What a month.

whiskeytangoeberle:
    By the way, just want to help some folks out here.Fly fishing is way better than the internet, stupid fish eating $1.50 hooks, making one feel like a testosterone filled wilder beast.When has the internet ever done that for you?

161. wheatnoil says:

Kmart99: It’s a figure of speech.

I know. I was being cheeky. Alternatively, you could say I was being a dink.

162. Kitchener says:

What a month. WHAT a month.

Hopefully next year’s roster is watching this slugfest between ANA and CHI.

I LOVE the Oiler offseason so far, but we need to find players who can win this kind of game. The WCF is the real SCF for 2015.

Edit: Internal development or external procurement. I suspect it’ll be a little of column A and a little of column B.

163. rickithebear says:

Gmoney:
    Fistric>weber
    Aulie>petry

This is not my position.
    Weber 1st comp with our goalies is not 7.8m
    You have adefined Goal dif for each team.

Effective GD for cap dollars
    If playing Fistric 3rd comp and 1st pair pk gets you
    13.75 even 2nd/3rd comp. +11 goal differential
    2.06 PK +6 goal differential.
    He makes your team + 17 goal better better than league average.
    Your 1st and 2nd comp pairs are in a more forgiving position.
    Winning is gf vs ga.

It is in our intrest to get the best d we can get comp wise.
    Cause as you move into the playoffs you need the strong comp depth.

But i wiil take an elite pk d that gets way better than league Evga aying 2nd/3rd comp.
    That gets you better.

164. whiskeytangoeberle says:

I don’t know much about fishing but I watched A River Runs thru IT and I’m pretty sure I’m supposed to hate bait fisherman. Sorry bout that.

Anyways, keep up the good work and goodnight.

165. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

whiskeytangoeberle: When has the internet ever done that for you?

Well, just now: http://www.kongregate.com/games/theswain/super-fishing

Check and mate, my good friend. Just wait through the ad before the game loads, and remember to select the tutorial and turn off the in-game music. No deet required.

166. whiskeytangoeberle says:

btw avoided taking a cheap shot at the last sentence in your comment just because your the host. midnight grammar you know.

167. whiskeytangoeberle says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1),

will do, thanks, good night.

168. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

I think that this cold north wind we’ve been having this spring has impaired most bear’s ability to forage, post-hibernation.

Really, I think all he needs is a Snickers or two. Okay, maybe a pallet of them.

169. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

whiskeytangoeberle,

Any time, really. Here to help. Just ask Pouzar.

170. Kmart99 says:

wheatnoil: I know. I was being cheeky. Alternatively, you could say I was being a dink.

Damn my lack of humour.

171. Lois Lowe says:

I’m usually pretty hard on Ricki because he doesn’t show his work and because his (admitted) lack of grammar makes it almost impossible to understand exactly what he’s on about most of the time. G Money has been completely above board, with both his methodology and its weaknesses, for the past few months. He was even kind enough to start his own blog so there’s an archive of the work he’s put in.

I understand that Ricki is trying to think out of the box (protection) but there’s no transparency to his efforts and he’s been unwilling so far to show how he arrived at many of his conclusions other than repeating the tautology, GF > GA.

For a stats based blog, it’s simply not good enough.

And for the record: Hanifan > Marner > Strome. I’m glad that we fans no longer need to discuss such things.

Connor McDavid FTW!!!!!!

172. Kris11 says:

I often had interesting science discussions with dads Space Friends.

This is the only thng you said that makes sense and it makes sense of everything else you’ve ever said. You are half-Martian.

173. wheatnoil says:

Kmart99: Damn my lack of humour.

Don’t worry. I assure you, it was kind of a lame joke.

174. rickithebear says:

Kris11:
    I often had interesting science discussions with dads Space Friends.

I stated my father worked:
    1. Avro arrow

2. Fort Churchill: weather rockets (black Brant)
    Aurora Study.
    PanAM private contract Wink wink

3. Sed Systems doing co work on ERTS and Dish design.

worked on creation of ERTS with MDA

Erts required 3 land stations. one was created from PARL. that was latter set up for launch support.
    that was latter set up for launch support.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Heavy_Industries HI rockets

Worked on Seasat:
    bitched about them taking his baby cause it could see subs.

He travelled the world setting up many stat elite stations for foreign counties.
    using the major tech providers in aerospace.
    MDA

Did Acceptance test for Canada arm.

These would be the space friends!

A whole different world!

175. Samson Loveblast says:

How refreshing it was to watch the presser today where the individuals being questioned spoke in a measured and intelligent way about their approaches going forward. I had become accustomed to listening/watching these things and hoping a journalist would skewer Craig or Dallas.

Also, there was no bravado or cockiness or hamhanded promises made that could later expose someone. This was a presser that fans who care about a professionally run organisation could get behind.

176. PhrankLee says:

Bad form, Mr. Bear.

Admitting your grammar is deficient does not change the situation you create by using an entirely different and personal, to you, grammar.

I feel that around here, given the snobbery of most of us in this regard, you are well treated and your attachment to the team cannot be questioned.

It is akin to “moving the goalposts” when you use a language of your own that is very difficult to understand sometimes.

When your reader has to put the effort into understanding your point that you refuse to put forth in stating it, you can’t protest too harshly.

Ad hominem is childish.

177. book¡je says:

Lowetide: When I was a kid, I used to go down by the lake (Burns Lake) Sat. AM and fill empty soup cans with mud (filled with worms). Made good money every Saturday, love fishermen.

Sometimes I think you must be biblically old.

178. Магия 10 says:

PhrankLee: Ad homonym is childish

I know a few adults as well that hate words that sound alike. #facepalm

179. Yeti says:

Kris11:
    I often had interesting science discussions with dads Space Friends.

180. PhrankLee says:

Магия 10: PhrankLee: Ad homonym is childish
    I know a few adults as well that hate words that sound alike. #facepalm

Sheesh. I love the auto correct on my phone.

ad hominem.

I said nothing of spelling!!

Ha ha!

181. Yeti says:

book¡je: Sometimes I think you must be biblically old.

This blog used to be chiseled into stone tablets.

182. G Money says:

rickithebear,

That’s very very cool.

Though I still think it is more fun to picture you as a Martian bear.

183. Halfwise says:

It’s better to be correct when criticizing the English of others. If you’re not sure of the right homonym or its spelling, your best move is to avoid the ad hominem response, overt or implied.

184. Pouzar says:

Ottawa Senators ‏@Senators 15m15 minutes ago
    Breaking: #Sens agree to terms with goaltender Andrew Hammond on a three-year contract extension

185. Pouzar says:

Ottawa Senators ‏@Senators 13m13 minutes ago
    The average annual value of Hammond’s extension is $1.35M ($1.2M, $1.35M, $1.5M)

186. nvan97 says:

rickithebear: I talk the protective triangle and weber is 2.75 Evga/60 facing first comp without rinne.

Fistric is top 15 in evga/60 facing 2nd/3rd comp and top 15 pkga.

Petry,s in the 3.00. Range. I want to win!

You know what i pointed out!

Your post is a mother fucking shit coward act!

You maybe too STUPID to realize that!

I feel like this was written by horse_ebooks. Like some kind of random comment generator based on other comments.

187. Tire Fire says:

Yeti: Oh for goodness sake. When the waters have thankfully calmed, please refrain from tossing more stones.

Come on, that joke was well worth it.

188. HeavySig says:

Now that DSF has regained his fibre levels and calmed down, the crowd has turned on rickithebear?

If rickithebear’s posts are the worst part of your blog reading, you may need to cut back on caffeine or up the fibre yourself. I can be hot-headed at times (ID used to give me time-outs on HFboards), but ricki never gets me going. I even had a good debate with him over the RNH pick 😉

Not everyone has the same social and interpersonal skills or considers them important, but that doesn’t make them lesser individuals. We make accommodations every day for people with different abilities and I consider rickithebear’s input worth the extra effort it takes to decrypt his posts.

I consider his posts to be like a puzzle, where I challenge myself to understand what he is putting out there. If you don’t like puzzles, pass them over, but if you don’t know what he is going for he will usually drop another clue if you ask.

189. Yeti says:

Tire Fire: I suppose it’s just the old Bear-Yeti alliance rearing it’s hairy head yet again.

Sir, I eat bears for breakfast.

190. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

“There’s a real danger here in projecting any of these men into a McLellan system and touting an explosion”

For sure. What we should be hoping for are reasonable decisions. If they are made the bleeding will stop and because of the existing talent things will turn north. Other teams have made big gains in a year and there is no reason why the Oilers can’t.