THE OMEGA MOLECULE

In a decade where freshman were everywhere, Daryl Katz was the rookie we were waiting on. What caused him to stand up on a clear blue morning, to see what can be? Was it a case of when you see a chance, take it? Did Kevin Lowe throw the idea to Daryl Katz one day, the same day the owner was taking heat from his buddy on a golf course somewhere? Did Bob Nicholson call the castle one night and ask to borrow the leer jet and it coincided with another ghastly zone exit? Don’t know. Don’t care. Whatever caused this turnaround, thank you and baby Jesus. What a spring!

pakarinen hamilton ferguson 1415

WHERE IS MY MIND?

I’m no good at endings, learned that about myself long ago. There are those who embrace the sadness, I’m a mile down the road. We all say goodbye in our own way, it’s fine. Hartikainen was always my secret favorite, big kid from Finland who had early success and looked like he would make it. There was Linus (it still rhymes with Penis) who scored like a maniac but offended the Tampa Bay Lightning so was banished from the kingdom (and he had a few issues as a player, if I’m being fair). Jeff Petry played there, Chris VandeVelde too—he was the center tall enough to warrant a long name—and we saw Mark Arcobello emerge from actual nowhere (sorry, Yale) to become an NHL player. We had our highs and lows and we have things we’ll remember forever good and bad. And sad. The Oklahoma City Barons won last night, a loss would have ended the franchise. G7 is Wednesday night, winner plays Grand Rapids in the semifinals.

We knew Frans Tuohimaa was unlikely to be back but this is confirmation. The two goalies selected by the Oilers in the 2011 draft (Perhonen and Frans) washed out miles from the show. What ever combination unlocks the key to successfully identifying goalies, Edmonton doesn’t know it. The last guy they correctly identified was Devan Dubnyk but they sent him away and now he’s gone. In a month of miracles, what are the odds the Oilers fall ass over tea kettle into a goalie? Godspeed, Eetu Laurikainen.

• Neal Livingston, Tend the Farm: You might recall that Musil was benched for Darnell Nurse in recent days. His terribleness wasn’t nearly as bad as it first appeared, and certainly Marincin is the one who has been playing some really confusing hockey of late. Bad passing, questionable posturing, and a massive inability to contain his own blue-line have led us to this moment. It hurts, because Marincin had been on the up in the first round of the playoffs against the Rampage. Source

The Oesterle—Nurse pairing makes sense, both men are good skaters and with a roaming blue Nurse is less likely to be chaotic. Nurse got another assist last night, he’s having a nice run. Marincin’s scratch (and no word I’ve seen about injury) is an important item, but Neal mentions he was fine last series so it might be an injury issue. I don’t think MM will be part of the team moving forward, and wonder if he might sign a European deal like Tuohimaa. That would be bad for the Oilers, they don’t have enough good talent to lose a player to Europe and that decision could really impact Marincin’s trade value.

WHAT DOES MCLELLAN BRING?

Todd McLellan is a successful Western Conference NHL coach. That’s a big deal. If Peter Chiarelli can find him a goalie (and he will) I’m fairly certain we’re going to see a far better season in 2015-16. Now, that doesn’t mean playoffs and it could mean a season with Nikitin and Schultz and Ference because some contracts can’t be moved, but it’s also true that Justin Schultz could learn a few things from McLellan, Andrew Ference could find himself in a role that’s better suited, and even Niki Nikitin might get a chance to show what he’s good at this coming season. I don’t believe all three will return, but you get the point. We’ve seen Justin Schultz struggling and being gifted with more playing time, what happens when Todd McLellan puts him in a position to succeed? We could be pleasantly surprised by some of the disappointments. That’s part of what McLellan brings.

I also think the Oilers will need to add significant pieces, they couldn’t have attracted Chiarelli and McLellan without a renewed effort to turn north (which brings us back to Daryl Katz becoming an actual NHL player owner). I think we’ll see a Cam Talbot, a Brent Seabrook and a Carl Soderberg. And the Baby Jesus.

BRENT BURNS?

• Jason Gregor: There has been a lot of talk on Oilersnation about the Oilers trying to pry Brent Burns out of San Jose. Burns has a restricted NMC. He submits a list of only three teams on June 30th, for the upcoming season, that the Sharks can trade him to. No chance the Oilers were one of those three last June, but a source told me last night that if the Oilers made an offer to the Sharks he’d strongly consider it because he loves playing for McLellan. The Oilers would have to give up a lot to get him. It would take more than the #16 pick and Martin Marincin, which seems to be the package most present as a starting point. Source

I’m both thrilled and worried over this nugget. On the one hand, how on earth can anyone argue Brent Burns as a bad target? He’s actually perfect for Edmonton, solving pretty much every problem on the list (first-pairing defender, physical monster, power-play terror, minutes muncher, veteran, size, God what a good hockey player) in one fell swoop.

Folks, it’s going to take a lot to get Brent Burns. There’s two years left on his deal and the Sharks don’t have a replacement (duh) for him. I can’t see Edmonton getting a deal done without giving up a major part of their future (Klefbom, Nurse) or a young gun (Eberle?) in return. Bold? This move would leave bold in the dust. I followed Peter Chiarelli when he was Bruins GM and if he was willing to trade Phil Kessel and Tyler Seguin, he’s willing to trade some of Edmonton’s golden pieces. Are you ready for this?

It will make the Edmonton Oilers better.

IT’S THE GOALIE, STUPID!

We’ve discussed it to death: Is it the goalie or the defense? Back and forth and on we go, but for me the number one job of summer is tightening that goaler position. Darcy McLeod of Because Oilers has been honing in on the best available options and I like his thought process and the information delivered. Darcy’s latest post on the subject is here, and what I like most is that he identifies more than one option for the Oilers. Assuming men like Cory Schneider and Jonathan Quick are not available (solid assumption) we get the following list:

1. Cam Talbot (NYR)
  2. Jonathan Bernier (TOR)
  3. Corey Crawford (CHI)
  4. Craig Anderson (OTT)
  5. Martin Jones (LAK)
  6. Antti Raanta (CHI)

The ‘Hawks may emerge as an obvious option as they also have Scott Darling who they appear high on. Darcy also mentions free agent options, with the best being Devan Dubnyk and Jhonas Enroth. McLellan’s hire means we should also at least consider Antti  Niemi as a possibility, although Darcy slices up the idea very well in his post. Interesting times.

SUMMARY

We’re Andy Dufresne, friends. We crawled through a river of shit and came out clean on the other side. This afternoon at 2, I’m going to have a beer and then I’m going to have another one.

JOHANSSON

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

10 this morning, TSN1260. Guests are a moving target this morning, as I’m sure you can imagine on such a big day. Scheduled to appear:

• Scott Cullen, TSN. We look at McLellan’s ability to squeeze a lot out of the PP and his possession numbers.
  • Scott Burnside, ESPN: McLellan, plus the Ducks game one performance.
  • Dennis King, Oilogosphere Icon. What the hell is going on around here?

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Life, as we know it, has changed in a big, wonderful way. Music!

158 Responses to "THE OMEGA MOLECULE"

1. gr8one says:

Stop calling him Darcy McLeod…that’s just silly, we all know his real name is Woodguy.

2. su_dhillon says:

I have been trying to think of another hire like this one by the Oilers in their history and the closest I can come up with is Renney, which is kind of amazing and probably at least a little telling. 3 guys have got the Oilers to the finals, Slats, Muckler and Mactavish none of them had been head coaches in NHL before Edmonton. Almost every other head coach was a rookie in the NHL in Edmonton.

The 2 exceptions being Renney and Quinn, but Quinn’s major resume was so far in the rear view it’s hard to put him in same discussion. So it’s just Renney and his resume is probably quite a bit short of Mclellan.

It was even more dramatic at GM, all internal hires save Tambolini (spits on ground) until this summer with Chia.

3. PhrankLee says:

su_dhillon: The Oilers have never hired people of this caliber at this stage of their careers, candidates that would be on every teams list, who have proven track records. It’s amazing in every way.

So true. It is very contrary to smartest men in the room thinking we are accustomed to. Expect, even.

4. leadfarmer says:

Hope McClellan can teach these guys how to take and make a pass for starters.

I think playoffs next year is too much to ask for but as long as we get a goalie that can give 50 starts and not fall apart after the first 5 and something that begins to resemble a d-corps I will be happy. Too many bad contracts to do it in a year but start putting pieces in place this year even if it is just Sekera and Michalek for d and, Anderson or Talbot or Enroth for goalie and the following year you can add another piece when Nikitin, Schultz ( after another 1 year deal) Purcell, Scrivens are off the books.

5. leadfarmer says:

A rookie GM should never hire a rookie coach. A experienced GM can hire a rookie coach, or you can hire a rookie GM if you have a good coach, but someone in the organization needs to know how to fly the plane.

Hopefully Katz learned from his mistakes.

6. Woogie63 says:

IMO

PC has to balance doing too much and not enough.

Hire the coach
    One trade with a current core player, Eberle for Burns or Seth Jones
    One UFA defenseman
    One trade for a starting goalie #33 and a prospect on OKC for Talbot, Lehner, Lack, Jones ect.
    Set the cap table for two and three years from now

Then the coach has to get more out of the current roster this is equally important as who is new on the roster.

7. Ben says:

If Babcock stays in Detroit it makes the Oilers’ early pursuit of McLellan seem even more astute.

And yes, my friends, that is the first time that the words ‘astute’ and ‘Oilers’ have appeared in the same sentence in almost a decade.

8. book¡je says:

Honestly, the way this spring is going, it wouldn’t surprise me.

9. book¡je says:

The whole Oilers organization has gone ‘Opposite George’.

10. John Chambers says:

LT – happy to say I disagree with your suggested trade value of Brent Burns.

Burnsie was traded a few years ago for Charlie Coyle and a late first back when he was 26 years old. I can’t imagine four years later with two years left on a fat contract that he yields more than Marincin + the 16 OV.

After canning McClellan you can bet San Jose are poised to engineer a mini re-build with Burns and possibly Thornton and Marleau (if they’ll waive) out the door for high picks and prospects.

A Burns for 16 OV + is a very sensible trade for both sides.

11. raventalon40 says:

book¡je:

Honestly, the way this spring is going, it wouldn’t surprise me.

Haha… I don’t think there are any more homecomings. Comrie and Smyth were the last.

12. Lloyd B. says:

What caused him to stand up on a clear blue morning, to see what can be?

I suspect when Kevin Lowe offered to take a sabatical it triggered Katz to ask Lowe who would be best to replace him and he came up with Nicholson. With the Olympics coming up they waited to bring him on. Nicholson then started his top to bottom review of the organization and presented his findings to Katz. During this process the worst run professional franchise article came out confirming Nicholsons audit. The BOTB were not great management material and needed to go.

The businessman in Katz had to hate seeing his boys throwing millions of dollars around like they were bottle caps. Paying 3 or 4 HCs last year, Insane. Overpaying free agents..not by just a little bit. And then to top it all off…next year is development as well. The straw that broke the camels back.

The ball was already rolling. Then lottery day came along and Katz gave Nicholson the go ahead on the audit results as McDavid changed the timing of everything. Now we have a very motivated owner with a world class management team taking charge. Once the loyalty to the BOTB was cut ( well shuffled aside) the clarity of the business operations came into focus for Katz. I suspect he never lets anyone run his franchise into the ground again.

13. Southern Oil says:

book¡je:
    The whole Oilers organization has gone ‘Opposite George’.

That’s brilliant – opposite George!

EDIT: or maybe someone has started to use the rest of the head of lettuce.

14. Ducey says:

Ben:

Woogie63:
    IMO

PC has to balance doing too much and not enough.

Hire the coach
    One trade with a current core player, Eberle for Burns or Seth Jones
    One UFA defenseman
    Set the cap table for two and three years from now

Then the coach has toget more out of the current roster this is equally important as who is new on the roster.

Yeah, I think the issue will be trying to control the enthusiasm of the fanbase. Most will be thinking playoffs, when in reality they have a new coach, baby Connor, a few bad contracts to burn thru (NN, Purcell, Ference), new systems and likely a few rookies (Nurse and Leon at some point).

You don’t come from 28th, the 3rd worst goal differential (-85) , and worst goals against (283, MTL had 189 GA!) to make the playoffs.

Playoffs are not realistic.

Repeat this every time Lucy Chiarelli puts that football down in front of you

15. slopitch says:

Id take Burns all day. MM + 16, sure. Oilers still need that top left quadrant pair of defenders. I dont think the 3 of Fayne, Nurse and Klefbom are enough (this year). Id say the more likely trade is Jultz plus the 16th overall.

If Im Shero, I look at the steaming pile of shit that Lou left me and I say lets tank a year. Tanking involves moving Schneider because as we all know way too well, bad goaltending = lottery.

How much money would Arizona need to eat before you’d consider Mike Smith as an option. Crazy they somehow settled on paying 2 million of Yandle’s salary. They got a good return but man I wouldnt be surprised to see Arizona do anything crazy.

Its fun and interesting times. Endless possibilities. Lord knows what the roster will look like on D and G by the time the leaves start falling off the trees again.

Considering how much everyone regressed under Eakins, I think McLennan is gonna look like a god here. He wont get 104th ave named after him; CMD will get that. But still he’s coming into a great position.

16. Visually better says:

I know this gets mentioned over and over; as it should… but I literally can’t remember having optimism about the Oilers!! Optimism… Oilers…. What an oxymoron! I even edited my comment to change the o of ‘Oilers’ to a capital letter!! WHAT IS GOING ON!?!?! Bob Nicholson should have ran for the NDP’s, guy knows a thing or two about clean sweeps. Love it! (Don’t love the NDP’s tho..) Anyways; back to hockey’s:

As you say LT, Brent Burns would be an absolute P E R F E C T fit for us. Imagine a couple years down the road and you have the ability to pair him and Nurse together… We would have our own Myers/Byfuglien!! Hell, maybe even Burnsy could man the tank commander for one year.

Nikitin/ Burns
    Sekera/ Klefbom
    Fayne/ Schultz

Nurse

( Just made a quick GIF of a ‘Fury’ poster with Burns and Nikitin but can’t figure out how to post it.. I promise it’s gold, can someone please tell me how to post it)

17. Yeti says:

book¡je: “Cory Schneider demanding trade to Oilers in the same manner Ryan Smyth did a few years ago”.

Honestly, the way this spring is going, it wouldn’t surprise me.

And Justin Schultz is the centre piece of the package going the other way…

18. Washingtron says:

McDavid is the saviour of the franchise and he hasn’t even played a game. The McJesus works in mysterious ways.

19. RexLibris says:

SPAM ALERT

My thoughts on the Flames’ options for #15 at the draft, and some trade possibilities with their 2nd rounders.

Includes links to prospect pages on many of the same names we’ve discussed here.

20. speeds says:

I’ll be the first to admit that I haven’t followed Burns all that carefully in SJ, but my memory from what I’d read is that Burns was better at F than D in SJ and that McLellan preferred him at F than at D. Anyone who has looked into that, or have a better memory than me, remember either of things, are they not the case?

21. danny says:

book¡je:
    The whole Oilers organization has gone ‘Opposite George’.

MacT is demoted

TMac is named HC

22. LMHF#1 says:

So, I know Larry Robinson has had an adventure through the league and there are many reasons he doesn’t want to be a head coach and probably likes living in SoCal, but any change he comes along too?

That would make me happy. Have him teach our towering kids to be a mean bottom 6.

23. misfit says:

It will be really interesting to see how the Oilers look to fill the netminding position this offseason now. Todd McLellan has joined the fold and would have intimate knowledge of Niemi, who is considered by most to be the best free agent goalie on the market. I would have to think his opinion on this player would carry a lot of weight with Chiarelli. Whether we aggressively pursue him in the offseason or not at all, I feel a lot more comfortable with the decision knowing McLellan is in the fold and had a say in it.

24. Rational Zealot says:

I love Brent Burns. He is a much better hockey player than Brent Seabrook. He has two years left instead of one. If it is Burns or Seabrook I want Burns ten times out of ten.

That said, at the prices were talking, the Oilers need to trade for the 26 year old Burns not the 30 year old one. San Jose acquired Burns (+ a 2nd round pick) for a washed up Setoguchi, Charlie Coyle (top prospect) and a first round pick.

That’s a reasonable price. If the Oilers trade their equivalent of that they have to get a D in their mid twenties. To trade that much for a guy who is 30 years old will torpedo the franchise.

The goal isn’t to make the playoffs next year. The goal isn’t even to win the Stanley Cup. The goal is to be playing right now year after year after year. And you can’t do that without a consistent pipeline of players playing on ELC and RFA deals.

So unless you can make a deal for a 26 year old Burns don’t make any deal. Instead keep the young guys coming and supplement with FA in the 4-5 M range. That’s the sweet spot in the market.

TB is run as well as anyone. Look at their roster. Chicago has been dominant for years, they’ve made some mistakes (Crawford and Bickell) but they stay where they are because they’ve added Saad and Kruger and Shaw and now Terovainen.

Trading away a first round pick puts you in place for a slow death unless you can add a key piece for the next five years.

Simple recipe for longterm success.

1) Don’t trade first round picks unless it is for legitimate stars in their mid twenties (SJ for Burns)
    2) Do trade all other picks for established NHL players on reasonable contracts
    3) Don’t go whale hunting in free agency (Clarkson, Wisnieski) this is where you get burned
    4) Do sign mid range free agents (Stralman, Pouliot)

For all the heat MacTavish got and gets he only made one major mistake (Petry, Nikitin is only one more year, that’s a mistake but not a major one). In the meantime the Perron deal turned out unbelievable (does anyone want to undo that trade–I think not), and Pouliot and Fayne are exactly the kind of free agent signings I hope Chiarelli makes.

It’s interesting how so many of the deals proposed by fans are terrible, not for the other team, but for the Oilers.

25. razor says:

I actually thought of Burns as a target a few days ago with the McLellan connection. Look at the way he responded at the world’s under Todd and back playing D. It was rumoured that both he and Todd wanted Burns back on D in San Jose this year and Armstrong forced him at forward. He would definetly consider a move north if Todd had the ability to use him where he wants to play.

26. Rational Zealot says:

Corey Schneider is bonafide. I’d take him. However, he’s also 29. His value should be lower than it was three years ago. If you trade the same or more for him you are overpaying.

General managers and fans of all sports should remember the words of the wise Branch Rickey, the greatest general manager of all-time.

“It is better to trade a player a year too early than a year too late.”

If there is one axiom I want the guy running my team to remember, it is this one.

27. knighttown says:

Brent Burns:

Best Corsi Rel on the team and 17th best Corsi % in the NHL for qualifying defensemen at +202 shots. That list is led by Drew Doughty and is littered with #1-2 defesnemen from playoff teams.

As an aside, Justin Faulk is +289 (4th) on a bad Canes team. Wow.

Anyway, Burns had tremendous success this year so let’s apply some context based on my DoD (degree of difficulty) work from a few months back.

Qualcomp
    It’s actually hard to do a comparison on this team because John Scott’s numbers are so bad it ruins the scale so I’ve increased the game played number far enough that he gets excluded.

Burns ranks #3 in Qualcomp behind Vlasic and Braun and scores a “2” (scale 0-4) as he’s solidly in the 3rd quintile. Besides sheltering Scott beyond belief, MacLellan didn’t seem to chase this too much.

Qualteam
    Burns plays with the 4th best teammates (of 6) so is 3rd best in this metric but only Irwin seems to play with the absolute dregs. Vlasic gets the best teammates and Burns is in the mushy middle. Scores another “2”.

Zonestart
    You can tell MacLellan chases this a lot more than matchups. Vlasic gets buried to the tune of 42.7% and Braun and Dillon are also under 47%. All of Irwin, Hannan and Burns (in that order) get the push, I’d suggest for different reasons. Sheltering for the first two and to create offense for Burns. But regardless, he scores a “1” in this category.

His overall DoDiff scores out at a 5 of a possible 12 for DoDiff. He faces medium competition with mediocre teammates and a slight zone start push. For comparison, Klefbom is at a 4 and Schultz is a zero. (0!)

But here’s the thing. He absolutely kicked the jams out with those mediocre minutes. His Corsi % is 17th in the NHL and his points/60 is 10th at 1.30 snuggled between PK Subban and Mark Giordano. (How much forward did he play?)

If the forward issue isn’t inflating things too badly this is a guy you empty the tank for. You can play him in medium minutes and get tons of offense and possession domination or you could ratchet up his DoDiff while still producing great possession stats. Add to that his outstanding pedigree as a PP option and he’s target number 1 for me.

-Yak plus Schultz or
    -16th + 32nd + Schultz or
    -Eberle

28. MightyOil1 says:

Yeti: And Justin Schultz is the centre piece of the package going the other way…

Opposite George: Marisa Tomei moment!

29. rich says:

Can’t say I’m a fan of Burns on defense but admit, I’m not doing this off analytics but off anecdotes and boxcars.

One of the things that McLellan was not afraid to do in 2013-14 was move Burns from defense to wing. That year he had 22 goals and 26 assists. There were a lot of questions about his play and coverage in the d-zone thus the experiment.

Last year, and I read this in the local SJ rag, McClellan and Wilson had a fight over where to play Burns with Wilson telling him to play him on defense. And of course, Burns points went up (17/43-60).

There’s little doubt that Burns would be an upgrade over Schultz, Ference or Nikitin. Is he really the answer on defense? Would (if EDM were to acquire him) he want to move back to forward – and that be the biggest reason he likes playing for McClellan?

And at what price? If #16 and Marincin don’t get it done, are you willing to trade an Eberle instead?

30. LMHF#1 says:

So:

Burns, Martin, Klefbom, Fayne, Marincin, Michalek?

That’s functional. 1 trade, 2 for money.

They need to move out the two boat anchors so badly…

31. MightyOil1 says:

Washingtron:
    McDavid is the saviour of the franchise and he hasn’t even played a game.The McJesus works in mysterious ways.

Are we sure that Mcdavid is not Stan Weir’s son?

32. LMHF#1 says:

From the Journal – “The Barons scratched defenceman Martin Marincin, who’s banged up,”

That should calm some of us down a bit.

33. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Rational Zealot:
    Corey Schneider is bonafide.I’d take him.However, he’s also 29.His value should be lower than it was three years ago.If you trade the same or more for him you are overpaying.

“It is better to trade a player a year too early than a year too late.”

34. raventalon40 says:

danny: MacT is demoted

TMac is named HC

Whoa. Mindfuck.

35. wheatnoil says:

rich:

One of the things that McLellan was not afraid to do in 2013-14 was move Burns from defense to wing.That year he had 22 goals and 26 assists.There were a lot of questions about his play and coverage in the d-zone thus the experiment.

I wonder if he might see the same situation applying to Schultz.

36. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

knighttown,

Nice post. My question would be: what does San Jose want? I doubt Justin Schultz is part of that answer. They’d probably want Yakupov: some elite skill on the wings to go with Couture, Hertl down the middle. Want Burns but definitely afraid of what he may cost.

37. speeds says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”: Cory Schneider is worth more today than when he was traded by the Canucks. At that time, there were question marks around his game. He’d only played, I believe 98 games, not a huge track record. Since then he has gone on to prove he is elite. Just because a player gets two years older doesn’t necessarily mean his value goes down. It is my opinion that Schneider would cost more than Bo Horvat now if he were on the block.

I don’t know what his trade value is now relative to then, but if there’s a difference, a good portion of the difference probably comes from his differing contract status in both cases.

38. Michelangelo-McDavid says:

Burns would be an interesting target. Typically in an off-season you see roughly three major deals. If we look at three recent examples, Spezza, Kesler & Staal. The trade broke down with typically 3 / 4 assets going the other way.

Kesler – 2 Young Roster Players, 1st Round Pick
    Spezza – 1 Young Roster Player, 2 Good Prospects, 2nd Round Pick
    Staal – 1st Round Pick, 1 Young Roster Player, 1 Good Prospect

I would think that Burns would get similar return to what San Jose gave up. 1st round pick, Coyle (prospect) and Setegochi (roster player).

Would a trade of Pitt 1st, Justin Schultz/Marincin & Slepy/Khaira/Yakimov make sense? I don’t see too many other prospects that hold much value. Depending upon the market value of Schultz perhaps the Oil can trade Greg Chase, Kyle Platzer, Dillon Simpson, Joey Laleggia, William Lagesson instead of Khaira or the Russians.

39. Rational Zealot says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

He would cost more, but he shouldn’t. He’s not better than he was. He’s the same and closer to the end. If you are paying more, it is only because you are paying for certainty. Except there is no such thing as certainty, so you are paying for a thing that does not exist.

To put it another way, don’t pay for reputation. Subban was just as good when he was “unproven.” Burns was just as good in Minnesota as he was in San Jose. Erik Karlson was awesome when people were talking about his suspect defense (to pick three guys I thought were can’t miss before they were can’t miss). Reputation inflates the prices of players, but only for suckers. Don’t be a sucker.

knighttown,

Nice analysis. Like I said, Brent Burns is a great defenseman. But why trade for him instead of Justin Faulk. I like that find, I had forgotten about him. Faulk’s next five years are likely to be better than Burns’.

The trick is to find the guy before he’s the guy. If you are going to pay a ransom it has to be for someone like Justin Faulk.

40. Rational Zealot says:

wheatnoil: I wonder if he might see the same situation applying to Schultz.

Why would he see the same thing? Brent Burns is and always was a dominant hockey player. Justin Schultz is an offensive defenseman who can’t pass and is sloppy with the puck. They have nothing in common.

41. raventalon40 says:

Wondering out loud about acquiring Dustin Byfuglien vs Brent Burns:

San Jose is further up against the cap than Winnipeg, but Byfuglien is closer to free agency and Jets have a lot of D-men to spare, with Myers looking pretty damn good in a Jets uniform. I wonder if Byfuglien as a extend+trade would be more realistically available than Burns?

They are about the same age. I feel Burns is more valuable to San Jose than Byfuglien is to the Jets. Byfuglien would likely, cost more, though.

42. D says:

I visited New Haven, Connecticut, LT. Yale is in actual nowhere indeed.

43. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Rational Zealot,

Who said anything about being a sucker? I disagree with the premise that player values diminish purely with age. To a point, that’s true. But was Hall worth more in a trade after his rookie year or after his 80 point year? I’d say the latter, even though it came when he was older.

Now with Schneider, yes he’s a bit older, but that’s been offset by the fact that he is a much more sure bet now to be able to repeat his performance rather than when he was a backup for the Canucks. For example, if Talbot were a more known commodity, rather than his small sample size, he’d be more costly to acquire.

Note, I’m not disagreeing with the idea that you shouldn’t pay for reputation, but there’s a big difference between 98 games played splitting time with Luongo in Vancouver vs. playing 70 games a year as the starter behind a bad team in Jersey and putting up elite numbers. It’s called sample size and consistency. Anyone can have one, good, outlier year, but Schneider has proved that’s not the case with him. Thus his diminishing value as a function of age, in my opinion has been more than offset by the fact he has actually shown what he is capable of in a primary role. It’s not really about reputation, but about proven results.

Also, Justin Faulk, as you would say is going to cost a king’s ransom. He’s the Canes’ most untouchable player. Guys like that rarely get traded so early in their careers. We can always hope, I guess.

44. leadfarmer says:

Holy hindsight Batman.

The package that SJ gave up for Burns is a lot different then that it is now. Setoguchi was considered a decent second line forward then and had 3 consecutive 20 goal seasons at the time he got traded includind a 30 goal season and did I mention that he was only 23 at the time of the trade. Charlie Coyle was a very highly touted prospect at the time and had almost as much value as a mid first round pick. And a late first is a late first. SJ gave up a lot at the time.

45. Rational Zealot says:

I love Byfuglien too, for many of the same reasons as Burns. But it’s the same old mistake. You trade for him when Chicago gets rid of him. Those are the five years you want.

Find me the 24 year old Byfuglien.

This deal is great:

June 24, 2010: Traded to Atlanta by Chicago with Brent Sopel, Ben Eager and Akim Aliu for Marty Reasoner, Joey Crabb, Jeremy Morin and New Jersey’s 1st (previously acquired, Chicago selected Kevin Hayes) and 2nd (previously acquired, Chicago selected Justin Holl) round choices in 2010 Entry Draft, June 24, 2010.

Whatever Byfuglien would cost in trade assets, plus the privilege of paying him 7 million a year is less great.

This is our collective challenge. Find the next Burns, the next Byfuglien, the next Seabrook.

Right now the list has one name on it. Justin Faulk. Is there anyone else?

Then send Chiarelli a note and tell him we don’t want Burns or Byfuglien or Seabrook, we want Justin Faulk.

I have no idea what he would cost but I do know this.

1) It wouldn’t be more than Burns, Seabrook, or Byfuglien. (It might be the same).
    2) He’s a better bet for the next five years.
    3) His salary will be lower for the next five years.

It’s simple.

46. Pouzar says:

“This afternoon at 2, I’m going to have a beer and then I’m going to have another one.”

This presser is REALLY going to test my weekday sobriety!

47. LMHF#1 says:

wheatnoil: I wonder if he might see the same situation applying to Schultz.

Gernat in TC I hope.

Kid’s made and wired to be a winger.

48. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Rational Zealot,

“It’s simple”

Exactly why the Canes have zero incentive to trade him. He’s locked up at a bargain $29M over 6 years and 5 more years left on that one. Why would he be available? Byfuglien was traded as the Hawks shot themselves in the foot on the RFA offer deadline and ran into cap trouble.

Faulk is already a great defenseman, but Carolina knows it. We’d need to look elsewhere.

49. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

Pouzar: This presser is REALLY going to test my weekday sobriety!

You know what they say – it’s a weekend somewhere!

50. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Pouzar:

This presser is REALLY going to test my weekday sobriety!

Heh, try being in Japan and trying to tune in during the middle of the night, all while having a deadline due for a photo show in Tokyo in 36 hours. Argh! ha ha

51. wheatnoil says:

If Nelson doesn’t stay in Edmonton, I hope Toronto hires him as their next head coach. It would just be so… fitting.

52. Rational Zealot says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

But Burns and Seabrook and whomever else is also going to cost a ransom. If you are going to pay a ransom it needs to be for a guy entering his prime, not leaving it.

As for the Schneider comment, what I said was obviously true. Every player has a “true talent.” We don’t know what it is (this isn’t a video game.). However we do know that this varies in a predictable way with age. It goes up, peaks, maintains, declines. This is true for everyone. We also know that 29 is a lot closer to the decline phase than the peak phase. This is also true for everyone.

The interesting things it that the market value for players with respect to both salary and trade value does not reflect this curve. In terms of salaries these go up with age (until dipping when the player is on the way out of the league if they try and hold on). Similarly, trade value is much stickier than true talent. It doesn’t go down with true talent. The result is the trade value lags behind true talent, i.e. Schneider will cost more now (trade value) but he isn’t a better player (true talent) and his next five years will almost certainly be worse than his last five years (decline phase).

This is the number one mistake fans (and general managers) make. They think that true talent is stickier than it is, and that the next five years is going to be the same as the last five years. But they never are. This is why free agent contracts are so often terrible. You pay for the decline phase. So all I am saying is don’t pay for the decline phase (which starts in the late twenties).

53. blainer says:

Ducey:
    Yeah, I think the issue will be trying to control the enthusiasm of the fanbase.Most will be thinking playoffs, when in reality they have a new coach, baby Connor, a few bad contracts to burn thru (NN, Purcell, Ference), new systems and likely a few rookies (Nurse and Leon at some point).

You don’t come from 28th,the 3rd worst goal differential (-85) , and worst goals against (283, MTL had 189 GA!) to make the playoffs.

Playoffs are not realistic.

Repeat this every time Lucy Chiarelli puts that football down in front of you

I have been saying this a lot. No one has a crystal ball or we would all win the 6-49. It’s way too early to say the Oilers won’t make the playoffs. I understand your mindset after so many bad years but for me I said last year that if we could start the rebuild with Hall and finish with CMD we would contend.

None of the predictions from the hockey news or all the other NHL forecasters will make those calls until the season is about to begin or at least until the off season moves are made. For me I think a quality goaltender Alone can get us to the playoffs. Addition by subtraction of Ference and or NN will also get us close with just average goaltending. As LT says .. we wait…

54. wheatnoil says:

Rational Zealot: Why would he see the same thing?Brent Burns is and always was a dominant hockey player.Justin Schultz is an offensive defenseman who can’t pass and is sloppy with the puck.They have nothing in common.

Also, the Oilers don’t need another non-physical winger who will likely be highly paid given his qualifying offer. So yeah, it’s probably not a reasonable transition.

55. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Rational Zealot,

If looking at Faulk (who is superior, no doubt) Braun is a nice right-handed shut-down D, good contract, 28 without huge “reputation” value, may cost a little less to acquire. Tough zone starts with Vlasic, still had a blue bubble.

56. Rational Zealot says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

So give me another name. Burns was already a great defenseman and he was traded. It happens.

And Justin Faulk is really good (which is why I want him) but nobody is talking about him winning the Norris trophy. I would suggest that the hockey world undervalues him.

Now the Hurricanes are desperate for D so there may not be a fit, but if you started with Eberle and the first round pick you might get some traction. That’s going to be a better longterm deal than trading the first round pick + Marincin + other stuff for Seabrook.

57. Visually better says:

Rational Zealot:
    NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

Now the Hurricanes are desperate for D so there may not be a fit, but if you started with Eberle and the first round pick you might get some traction.That’s going to be a better longterm deal than trading the first round pick + Marincin + other stuff for Seabrook.

I’m sorry, did you just say Eberle plus 16th ov. For Justin Faulk? ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nope?

58. Rational Zealot says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

I like that idea. He’s got a great contract, though I don’t think San Jose is looking to trade D at all, and if they are they’d rather trade Burns to 1) get more in return and 2) free up more cap space for other shiny things.

I should add that you are probably right that getting Justin Faulk is not doable. In which case the appropriate thing to do is keep the pick and sign value UFA D (in the 4-5 million ranger). Find this year’s Stralman. (I’m worried his name is Jeff Petry.).

59. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Rational Zealot:
    NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

But Burns and Seabrook and whomever else is also going to cost a ransom.If you are going to pay a ransom it needs to be for a guy entering his prime, not leaving it.

As for the Schneider comment, what I said was obviously true.Every player has a “true talent.”We don’t know what it is (this isn’t a video game.).However we do know that this varies in a predictable way with age.It goes up, peaks, maintains, declines.This is true for everyone.We also know that 29 is a lot closer to the decline phase than the peak phase.This is also true for everyone.

The interesting things it that the market value for players with respect to both salary and trade value does not reflect this curve.In terms of salaries these go up with age (until dipping when the player is on the way out of the league if they try and hold on).Similarly, trade value is much stickier than true talent.It doesn’t go down with true talent.The result is the trade value lags behind true talent, i.e. Schneider will cost more now (trade value) but he isn’t a better player (true talent) and his next five years will almost certainly be worse than his last five years (decline phase).

This is the number one mistake fans (and general managers) make.They think that true talent is stickier than it is, and that the next five years is going to be the same as the last five years.But they never are.This is why free agent contracts are so often terrible.You pay for the decline phase.So all I am saying is don’t pay for the decline phase (which starts in the late twenties).

Well, this is articulated a lot better, thanks. Now you’re talking true talent. I was talking market dynamics. The market dynamics are that players who are older get paid more. That’s set up by the CBA and the RFA system, which works in favour of teams, not players. They get to have cost control for the player’s early years. Of course, the price of the player goes up when they become unrestricted.

As for the trade market value, yes, of course Schneider’s true talent level is what it always was, but most GMs would pay more to see a bigger body of evidence than a small one, as you say. So we’re not in disagreement.

Bottom line of my comment was, I bet if Schneider were put on the block this summer, he’d fetch a higher price than he did two years ago. Is that “how it really should be?” I don’t know. Maybe not, as you say. After all, he is older. But I do believe his cost to acquire has gone up, not down.

Also, the decline phase begins sooner than late 20s for forwards. Seems like offensive production peaks in the early 20s. Defensemen seem to take longer to blossom so late 20s seems right. Goalies it seems to vary depending on their mileage. Tim Thomas, Craig Anderson, Domink Hasek blossomed later in their careers after being backups for a while and saving wear and tear. Could Schneider thus have similar longevity? Perhaps. No way of knowing. Anyhow, getting sidetracked here.

60. Rational Zealot says:

Visually better,

See this is just it. Trading Eberle + first round pick is a slamdunk win for the Oilers. Franchise changing deal in the good way. It is such a win that it is unrealistic.

And yet Oilerfan thinks the Oilers would be the ones losing the trade. And then turns around and wants to trade for one year of Brent Seabrook.

61. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Rational Zealot,

Another name Woodguy has thrown out there and it makes sense, too. Ryan Ellis.

62. Rational Zealot says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

Ok, we are in agreement on, I think, all points. My only addition was that considering what you said about the psychology of what others are willing to pay, the only way you can win is by not playing that game. If Schneider is going to cost more at 29 than at 26 then let someone else do the paying.

Your job as general manager (this is why you get paid) is to be right about the 26 year old. It isn’t to go along with the wisdom of crowds, especially a very small crowd that has a demonstrated lack of wisdom.

63. leadfarmer says:

Am I the only one who when they saw TMac the first couple times thought what does Tracy Mcgrady have to do with this.

64. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Rational Zealot,

Missing the obvious Chia connection. Torey Krug. Bruins are up against the cap and have to re-sign Hamilton.

65. Visually better says:

Rational Zealot,

As i’ve said before, I also would be willing to trade Eberle for the right price if I were in charge. I love Eberle and want nothing more to see him be a life long Oiler, but I didn’t get a say on how the roster is currently, neither did Chiarelli. Like him I truly believe we need size with skill up front. Yes 100% defence is first priority but no way do you trade Ebs + 16th ov for a young, relatively unproven d-men, or a 1 year on Seabrook.

If you’re going to trade that package you need to be getting spectacular in return. Ebs is on a good contract with a few years left, and that 1st round pick has great value; especially with aging teams with salary issues.

66. raventalon40 says:

Rational Zealot:
    I love Byfuglien too, for many of the same reasons as Burns.But it’s the same old mistake.You trade for him when Chicago gets rid of him.Those are the five years you want.

Find me the 24 year old Byfuglien.

This deal is great:

This is our collective challenge.Find the next Burns, the next Byfuglien, the next Seabrook.

Right now the list has one name on it.Justin Faulk.Is there anyone else?

I have no idea what he would cost but I do know this.

1) It wouldn’t be more than Burns, Seabrook, or Byfuglien.(It might be the same).
    2) He’s a better bet for the next five years.
    3) His salary will be lower for the next five years.

It’s simple.

I feel your vibe, but Chia might not be such a patient man, considering his track record and the fever pitch in Edmonton.

We might find ourselves with a Burns or Seabrook by July and sans Eberle or sans Yakupov.

67. bendelson says:

Hmm… younger defencemen on the rise that could be targeted without having to trade the core?

There has been much talk of Adam Larsson turning the corner, so to speak, in the later half of this past season. I don’t have his underlying numbers at the ready, but he seems to fit the criteria if he is considered ‘bonifide’ or at least well on his way to ‘bonifide’.

Am I in the ballpark?

68. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

bendelson,

Too late, I think. Jersey won’t trade him now. We missed our chance when DeBoer was still coaching. By the way, most people here were against trading for him last summer when I was harping on about him, citing his occasional assignments to the AHL and calling him unproven. Sound familiar? Marty Marincin, come on down. Post-DeBoer, he had a renaissance even better than Yak post-Eakins. He’d now cost too much to acquire.

Edit- cost would require a core piece going back the other way.

69. Bruce McCurdy says:

“On the one hand, how on earth can anyone argue Brent Burns as a bad target? He’s actually perfect for Edmonton, solving pretty much every problem on the list (first-pairing defender, physical monster, power-play terror, minutes muncher, veteran, size, God what a good hockey player) in one fell swoop.”

You forgot “shoots right”.

I saw every Canada game at the Worlds and Burns was phenomenal. Easily the team (& tournament) MVP in my opinion.

70. Rational Zealot says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

Nashville also has the advantage of potentially being a willing partner since they are deep on defense, not deep at forward, and have three young D that are very good.

I can’t imagine Seth Jones is available, I’d bet it was Ekholm they’d want to trade. I’d have to run some fancy numbers on him, I only know him vaguely, but he could be the diamond. Hard to evaluate Nashville quickly because Weber and Josi sucked up so much of the hard minutes.

If you are dealing with Nashville, your only chip they’d want is Eberle, so you have to be right about the D you are getting. That would require more analysis than I can do right now.

71. wheatnoil says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:
    Rational Zealot,

Torey Krug is a great suggestion.

His Hero Chart (ownthepuck.blogspot.ca) looks pretty good, easily in the Top 4 as far as effectiveness even on the defensive side, though he hasn’t gotten a lot of time on ice. He’s certainly an upgrade on Schultz while playing in Schultz’s ideal role. Also, Chiarelli signed him to his 1 year extension before he was fired. I don’t know how the remaining management group feel about Krug, but Chia clearly liked him.

He’s signed for $3.4M for one more year, but he’s still under RFA control after that. I don’t know what it would take to pry him out of Boston and certainly the Bruins would likely prefer to move a forward (Kelly, Lucic) to relieve their cap problems, but there’s a chance there if Neely / Sweeney don’t view Krug the way Chia did.

I imagine that this would involve getting Krug as a Schultz upgrade and then letting Schultz walk if there’s no trade market for him?

72. Rational Zealot says:

Visually better,

Justin Faulk is a phenomenal return.

Bruce McCurdy:

You forgot “shoots right”.

I agree. Burns is fantastic. If you are going to bight the whale bullet, he’s the whale I’d want.

73. Rondo says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Belov was the best D-man for Russia. In reality competition was weak.

Burns is excellent especially at forward, but SJ would want Klefbom or Nurse +

74. knighttown says:

Applying DoDiff to Justin Faulk:

Qualcomp is first on the Canes by a mile; perfect 4/4. He plays with the second best possible teammates so 1 of 4 there. And he had a zone start of 52% which is, wait for it, 6th out of 7 on that Canes team. They had 6 defensemen with over 52% zone start? How was this team so bad? Anyway, since we use zone starts relative as an idea as to how the coach uses him, he technically faced tough zone starts so 3 of 4 there.

His DoDiff is 8 (of 12). To expand, he gets tough zone starts against brutal competition with good teammates. That’s Mark Fayne territory.

Faulk produced 54.9% of the shot attempts when he was on the ice and an extra 289 shots attempted for versus against. Doughty/Muzzin at 1-2, then Keith and then Faulk. Lord help us.

He also put up 1.05 pts/60, again, first on his team and 36th in the league around guys like Weber, Keith and Bufflin.

Not trying to slight Fayne but apples to apples as they played similar minutes. Fayne was in the bottom 30 in the NHL at -152 shots for/against. His scoring was 13th worst in the NHL just ahead of Michal Jordan who, you’d think would produce more offense.

I agree with NYC that Faulk is likely not available but I agree with the other poster that he’s also not as famous as OEL or Doughty so with a ridiculous offer you might pry him away.

Yak + 16th?

75. JJ says:

Rational Zealot says:
    May 19, 2015 at 10:00 am

Simple recipe for long term success.

2) Do trade all other picks for established NHL players on reasonable contracts
    4) Do sign mid range free agents (Stralman, Pouliot)

————————

Well said!
    First round picks are the team’s future. Do not undervalue them.

76. book¡je says:

I’m all for an Eberle for Burns deal, but it’s mostly because I just want those ATB commercials to end!

77. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Rational Zealot:
    NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

I can’t imagine Seth Jones is available, I’d bet it was Ekholm they’d want to trade.I’d have to run some fancy numbers on him, I only know him vaguely, but he could be the diamond.Hard to evaluate Nashville quickly because Weber and Josi sucked up so much of the hard minutes.

If you are dealing with Nashville, your only chip they’d want is Eberle, so you have to be right about the D you are getting.That would require more analysis than I can do right now.

Ekholm is indeed a gem if you use Corsi (imperfect for D), need ricki’s help here for box protection stats.

I mentioned Ellis because he’s also right-handed so fits a need. Either one would be great to acquire. Nashville is an amazing defenseman factory. We need to poach that scout!

78. knighttown says:

Rational Zealot:
    NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

Ekholm is insanely good. I’ve mentioned him before. 6’4″ 204 and 24 years of age. He’s the other eye popper on the shots for/against metrics as he sits 5th right behind Faulk. Doughty, Muzzin, Keith, Faulk and Elkholm. He doesn’t score nearly as much at .69 pts/60 but based on the shot metrics he should produce more going forward just by being in the offensive zone.

He plays medium competition (score of 2) with awesome teammates (0) and a nice zone start push (1).

He’s only a 3 on the DoDiff (Klefbom at a 4 for instance) and he doesn’t score much but his possession stats are monstrous.

And signed for one more year at just over a million. Lordy. I’d give the #16 and sign him x7.

St. Peter (Chiarelli) please deliver us the right help for our blueline.

79. wheatnoil says:

Kylington has been brought up in regards to a falling prospect that may be available at the 16 slot, so I thought I’d share Leudeke’s tweet about him…

The curious case of Oliver Kylington- illustrates the dangers of emphasizing tools when toolbox seriously lacking. Major boom-bust prospect— Kirk Luedeke (@kluedeke29) May 19, 2015

Have only seen Swedish D on film- gorgeous skater/puck-mover, don't know where the brain is. Au Bon Pain naming line of turnovers after him— Kirk Luedeke (@kluedeke29) May 19, 2015

One more month of waiting for McGodisdead.

Carolina is desearate for D. Faulk would be next to impossible to get out of there. If the #5 pick is not going with Semin to Toronto for Kessel, they are praying Hanifin drops to #5.

81. Ducey says:

wheatnoil:

By the sounds of it, the Oilers may just want to let him keep falling. “Gorgeous skater /puck mover” with no brain describes a current Oilers Dman pretty well.

82. Rational Zealot says:

Now we are getting somewhere. We want Faulk but can’t have him. I can accept that.

Now I want Ekholm and would pay what it takes. He checks every box except shoots right. Well, you can’t have everything. He’d be my priority #1.

Now at what price?

83. Ducey says:

So, press conference at 2 pm.

I wonder what happens with Ramsay, Nelson and tough actin’ Keith Acton.

There has been little discussion about Ramsay. Petry stepped up, Klefbom was good if uneven, Fayne took a step back, Schultz, Ference and NN all took a step off the pier, Marincin seems to have fallen off the pace too.

Fair to say his handling of the D was not good and we don’t want him back?

84. rickithebear says:

The lat year they ran Vlasic and Braun as the 1st comp pair.
    5.75M for burns playing 2nd comp.
    Staring at WC.
    Mclellan to EDM.
    Perfect storm for Wilson!

Burns 11-12 to 14-15
    Burns 1st/2nd comp 2.20 EVGA
    Vlasic 1200 min 1st comp 1.85
    Boyle 583 min 3rd comp 1.96
    Irwin 545 min 2nd/3rd comp 1.54
    Braun 456 min 1st/2nd comp 1.58
    Murray 426 min 2nd/3rd comp 1.55
    Hannon 402 min 2nd comp 2.98
    B Stuart 400 min 1st/2nd comp 2.87
    Dillon 285 min 2nd comp 3.15
    Mueller 265 min 2nd comp 3.17
    White 85min 3rd comp 3.53
    Stollery 70min 3rd comp 3.43

Pair him with a mobile strong box protect 1st/2nd comp dman.
    He should be what we need.
    With the wrong partner none of our player can outscore his bad defence.

85. rickithebear says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:
    bendelson,

Bang On!

LT always says give them time.

86. Rational Zealot says:

When Bobby Ryan was 25 he was traded for Silverberg, a first round pick and Noesen (a former first round pick). At the time he had four 30 goal seasons. Since then, none.

Now Eberle only has one 30 goal season, but his point/ game is almost as good as Ryan’s were.

At the time Silverberg was 22 years old and had one full season in the NHL (lockout year) just like Ekholm, and had scored at a .4 pts/game pace, and was one year removed from the Swedish League MVP.

So if Ekholm = Silverberg and Eberle = Ryan then how about this:

Eberle for Ekholm + first round pick. That’s a good deal for the Oilers and gets Nashville immediate scoring when they are trying to win now.

87. Магия 10 says:

If we’re going to reference the Omega Molecule I’m going with the Galaxy Quest version. 13 of the suckers lashed together to back in time 13 seconds. How many times did Batman use it to repeat the lottery until it came up McDavid?

Never give up. Never surrender.

88. rickithebear says:

Rational Zealot:
    NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

End of season Eberle WAS 3rd best point producer in the game. (sportsnet)

What is that player worth?

89. raventalon40 says:

MacLellan called finding a right wing to join left wing Ovechkin and centre Nicklas Backstrom on the top line “a priority.” He’s open to a long-term deal for Holtby and sees Kuznetsov as the team’s preferred second-line centre.

Link

Wonder if we could interest them in Yakupov or Purcell?

Team Canada has struggled for over two Olympics to find wingers that Crosby is effective playing with. Pretty much everyone has failed except Hall and Eberle.

Benn was better away from Crosby at Sochi than with him.

The #110gamesofthedementor has warped everyones brains on some players. Hall and Eberle were going supernova under Krueger, and Eberle bounced back almost to going supernova when the dementor departed. And Hall looked like his old real self again the the World Championships.

Get good players. Keep good players. Swapping one massive deficiency for another will not result in progress.

91. Really? says:

Regarding Babcock:
    The cynic in me wonders if Babcock finds himself between a rock and a hard place.

On the one hand maybe he and his family are happy in Detroit and, while it would be nice to get a raise, it is not the primary consideration. On the other hand, he feels responsibility to the coaching fraternity to up the ceiling on salaries. If he does not test the free agent market, his peers may treat him like a pariah.

How then does he stick handle through this maze without potentially destroying his legacy and avoid alienating his peers?

Maybe he goes through the motions making it appear that he has genuine interest in various coaching opportunities. However, in the final analysis, after much soul searching and hand wringing he decides to stay with the Wings. He gets a reasonable raise, stays where he wants and has given the impression that he tested the market.

But did he really test the market???

92. Kitchener says:

Assuming today’s news is a new head coach, props to the new Brass for their timeline management. The SCF hasn’t even arrived and these huge changes are complete:

– new CEO
    – new GM
    – new coach
    – Edmonton becomes a considered destination for players (UFAs, players with no-trades)

The player transaction windows (draft, free agency, preseason) are still weeks away, yet the new management team is already armpit deep and positioned to make player decisions once the weeks of peak player movement arrive.

This is shockingly competent management on display from the Oilers. Hard to believe this is the same franchise.

93. rickithebear says:

godot10: Chiarelli seems to have been trying to get Eberle since the Seguin draft pick, and again with dangling Lucic. So hopefully that means Eberle is safe.

Playing Big!

Big: driving net and tough areas.
    Big: Thinking the game allowing competitive chances.
    Big; Being an offence generator 3rd best in league last half of season.

This for the next 3 years before we pay Mcdavid
    Hall-Mcdavid-XXX 9.75M
    Pouliot-RNH-Eberle 16M

This for the next 2 years before we decide if they can replace higher dollar contracts.
    Draisatl-Lander-Yak 6.9M

With peer proven Offensive Talent in the wings.
    Yakimov
    Slepyshev.

94. slopitch says:

Yes I agree. Dont trade Eberle. There aren’t many scenarios where you even consider it. Anaheim acquired CFP without moving Perry or Getzlaf. Eberle is a core I build around.

I would think Purcell has negative value but Washington would have plenty of time for Yakapov. If Im Chai, I put Yak on the wing with Hall and CMD and pump up his value. There’s no way Id move him at his current value. You’d look like an idiot in 2-3 years. I dont pump his value to move him. Love Yak. Im more stating that you put yourself in a position to maximize an asset or be totally fine keeping him.

The play for next year is to add pieces without subtracting core pieces. Hope the goalie bet you make is a winner and that McLennan can put enough of a system together that with some internal growth we sneak into the playoffs.

95. SwedishPoster says:

wheatnoil,

His hockey IQ was enough to have him keep his head above the water defensively in the SHL at 16 last season over 32 games despite being physically immature. Noone ever claimed a lack of hockey IQ or toolbox then. I’m not buying it. He had a mess of a season this year but still put up one of the most impressive seasons ever from a 17 year old in the SHL as far as PPG goes. His Allsvenskan numbers and Swe U20 are also amongst the best from a D ever. His PPG in the U20 at 16 follows the same pattern of being almost unheard(haven’t checked but it might actually be THE best season of all time at that age).

The guy is legit, he hit a rough patch and it killed his confidence and when he started finding his game(0,41 in 17 games in Allsvenskan which is OEL level) he was injured.

If he had this year last season and last season where he played a regular shift in the SHL playoffs this year he’d be in the discussion with Hanifin over who’s the best D in the draft. Just my humble opinion.

96. thejonrmcleod says:

Question: Do the additions of Chiarelli, McLellan, and McDavid make the Oilers sufficiently attractive for free agents to sign discount deals to play in Edmonton? Or does that not happen until they start winning?

A noted aficionado of wood and small sample sizes pegged him as good potential to be elite then.

*ahem*

98. hunter1909 says:

godot10: I am continually amazed by how many people think trading Eberle is a good idea. #ItIsNOT

99. hunter1909 says:

slopitch: Yes I agree. Dont trade Eberle.

LOL

Crazy times! McDavid!!

100. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

Woodguy: *ahem*

Bu-BINGA!

101. zilong says:

knighttown: Ekholm is insanely good.I’ve mentioned him before.6’4″ 204 and 24 years of age.He’s the other eye popper on the shots for/against metrics as he sits 5th right behind Faulk.Doughty, Muzzin, Keith, Faulk and Elkholm.He doesn’t score nearly as much at .69 pts/60 but based on the shot metrics he should produce more going forward just by being in the offensive zone.

And signed for one more year at just over a million.Lordy.I’d give the #16 and sign him x7.

St. Peter (Chiarelli) please deliver us the right help for our blueline.

Agreed Ekholm would be a great add, but I’d rather use the assets it’d take to acquire him on a RHD instead, given Nurse, Klef, and MM all play port side. Ellis, Jones, and Spurgeon have all been proposed here.

I’d also suggest adding Trouba to the list (unlikely this offseason, but perhaps moreso next year or next offseason). He has Byfuglien (5.2M, UFA next year) and Myers (5.5M) ahead of him on the RD, and will be ending his entry contract next year. I’d think he could command a big raise. Depending on how the Jets manage their contracts (they only have 4F and 3D signed to 2016-2017), he could become available.

102. Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker) says:

Big thing with any moves this summer is keeping term flexibility. If the dman we acquire isn’t part of the core, then we have to have the ability to move him off the books but the time Hall needs to be resigned. Trade for burns or sea brook, but we have to know they will be willing to sign short term deals.

If we can agree that at best we are in a Calgary position next year (made the playoffs, but no real shot), then I don’t know how you can justify a big name acquisition. You are better off lowballing a cap team, and hopefully finding something useful. UFA could be big as well. Whatever we do, we can’t sacrifice prospects yet, or blow our brains out on term. Nikitin deals but on good players. Can we fire every pro scout?

I like the idea of buying low on Talbot, but 16 is still a hard sell for me. I don’t see why Sather would trade him anyway (unless you offer the world).

103. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

Woogie63:
    IMO

PC has to balance doing too much and not enough.

Hire the coach
    One trade with a current core player, Eberle for Burns or Seth Jones
    One UFA defenseman
    Set the cap table for two and three years from now

This is true but the benefit of hiring a high calibre manager with relevant experience is that he knows exactly what he thinks needs to be done. Not that his vision is perfect but he won’t have to take time to ponder every single decision.

We are very used to inaction, late action, unsuccessful actions (when we here they whiffed on a UFA or deal) or the wrong action.

Between McLego and Pechi they should have a 75% plus DecCor/60 (decision corsi/60).

EDIT- I also think Pechi will have a book on the league’s players that the Oilers have never seemed to have before – I believe he will already pretty much know who he wants and values if he is going to trade or sign.

104. SwedishPoster says:

There has been no reports as far as I’ve heard about Nelson interviewing with other teams, might be a sign he is strongly considering an associate position. Here’s to hoping for the Two Todded Monster!

105. Jordan says:

slopitch:
    Yes I agree. Dont trade Eberle.

Agreed. Trading away anyone named Jordan is a bad plan.

Just like trading people named Ryan is a bad plan.

Not that I’m biased in any way.

I highly recomend that trades of players whose names rhyme with Dusitn (clear association here), or end with a W, or an i. My ouija board has told me they are cursed and must be sacrifised to sanctify the Oilers organization for the coming of McJesus.

Should this sanctification fail, the hockey gords will be vengeful, as only they can be. You know this if you are an Oilers fan, a voodoo priest, or Tommy Salo.

106. TheGreatMutato says:

Woodguy: A noted aficionado of wood and small sample sizes pegged him…

I hate to be that guy, but there is a pretty good ‘your mom’ joke in there for any other blog readers who have (also) been drinking today 😉

As an aside, you’ve completely sold me on Talbot. Awesome analysis.

Also, as an Oilers fan, I’d love it if we could go 24 hours without trying to trade Eberle. I understand that he is a player with significant value but can we please just have a day or so more to bask in the afterglow that is the wonderful performance of team Hallberle at the Worlds.

Oh, I almost forgot: WOOOOOOT!

107. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

TheGreatMutato: Oh, I almost forgot: WOOOOOOT!

WOOOOOOOT, indeed! If the grapevine rumours about Babs going to Buffalo are true, then it’s a great time for these two struggling franchises. Babs/Eichel and Todds/McSavior is a startling improvement for both.

Tim Graham
    ‏@ByTimGraham
    Source familiar tells me Mike Babcock down to Buffalo and Detroit, confidently predicts Buffalo’s big money will be choice. Toronto is out.

108. Stanley 2018 says:

How bad is it when your team, the Toronto Maple Leafs, the epicentre of all things NHL, gets blown off for the worst team in the league?

Happy McLellan Day!

hunter1909: I reckon a few were trading away Messier, Coffey, Anderson and Kurri for “better” players in the 80’s.

It mostly came down to Sather. If there was acontract negotiation that wasn’t going well, he’d leak out some bad things (can’t play defense, attitude, needs to learn) and the fans (me included) would be down on the guy for awhile. We learned but it took some time. By the time they traded Coffey I was not amused.

110. Gally says:

Burns would be a great add, if all our ducks were already in a row. He is an elite top 6 forward, who sometimes goes to the ball dressed as an above average D. Part of the strife between McLellan and Wilson was McClellan wanted to play him on his natural wing, whereas Wilson let Boyle walk with the intent of Burns taking his place. Don’t get me wrong, Burns, due to his size, IQ and skating ability, would probably be our best D. But he’s a much better forward than D, and trading significant assets to play him out of position is like opening up an iron pyrite mine. In our ideal world, he’s the perfect wingman for Hall and McDavid. Strong, great skater, defensively minded, great with the puck and has no problem scoring, and has grit/truculence/Don Cherry blood. He’s the opposite of Byfuglien. Last year, when Winnipeg was playing Buff on forward, and SJ playing Burns on D, they should have made a trade.

Via Hockey Analysis the two prior years as a forward, he was 28th in pts/60,11th in shots/60, 5th in I Fenwick and Corsi/60. Via War in Ice, as a wing, he was 17th in AdjCorsi% at 57.04, with only a 1.6% relZS. He was 25th among forwards in dCorsi, and his comparable list is phenomenal. http://imgur.com/yi6zrTy

111. stush18 says:

If we could somehow obtain ekholm, i would love to slot him into the nikitin usage. Tough zone starts and secondary pp minutes.

The problem with acquiring any of these players is that these teams are all in a win now mode. We are not. We also do not have the assets to acquire any players without opening up another hole.

Sign mike green and give it one more year of astute drafting.

112. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

I missed the presser. I’ll assume there was no mention of what Nelson, Ramsay, Acton and Rocky will be doing next season?

113. leadfarmer says:

The day you trade Jordan Eberle you will be trying to replace him. Do not trade him unless its for a better player.

Seeing that Babcock narrowed his choices to Detroit, Buffalo and Toronto I’m guessing staying in that geographical area was the most important thing to him. For a guy that said he wants to be the Phil Jackson of hockey I dont get why he was interested in Toronto. Looks like that team is about to be blown up and rebuilt. Not a place a coach with such high aspirations should go to.

And if someone could please photoshop that picture on top of the screen to have the card have a picture of Todd McLellan and the Oil logo

114. Kitchener says:

What a relief: hockey comments, not fitness comments.

115. fifthcartel says:

When Chairelli was asked how McLellan is going to get the Oilers play “heavy” hockey Chiarelli emphasized that heavy doesn’t mean hitting but referenced the Red Wings and San Jose instead.

That is quite nice to hear.

116. su_dhillon says:

I heart Mclellan, that was a great presser, he’s going to be great to listen to and watch on a nightly basis.

117. knighttown says:

E. Faulk

F. #16 overall for Ekholm

Eberle for
    G. Burns
    H. Faulk

Which are you accepting?

I say that you are not paying enough to acquire some of these things as market value is higher (with the exception of Faulk, who might be a steal)

119. linkfromhyrule says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1):

Todd said he hadn’t had the chance to sit down with them, but he would in the coming weeks and make a decision based on that. Only one for sure is Woodcroft as an assistant.

120. TheGreatMutato says:

su_dhillon,

He and PC come across as so… professional? when they talk hockey. It’s fresh air compared to what we’ve had in the recent past – equal parts pandering, narrative creation, and making things personal.

How wonderfully pleasant! (WOOOT)

121. regwald says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1):

The question was asked. McLellan said he needs to meet with them yet ( just back from Prague, no time). Said he has a relationship with Nelson already, but until he talks to him he doesn’t know what Nelson wants. Goes on to say Nelson may want to pursue a head coaching opportunity as he is ready and experienced enough. With support Chiarelli, he hopes to have the time to build his team of coaches.

122. TheOtherJohn says:

At top of Oiler player personnel pyramid:

McDavid

Hall & Nuge

Klefbom, Nurse

Eberle, Draisatl

Pou II, Yak Lander

If Eberle gets me am elite top pairing D I would be ok with that trade. He is a very good complimentary winger. For those of you in love with how he played with Crosby: great trade us Letang

Have you watched the Oiler D? Only thing worse is their goalkeeping

123. Fortinbras says:

Hey Lowetide,

Friedman’s 30 this week had some great commentary from Pronger about mentoring the young stars of the league (Getzlaf, Perry) and keeping them grounded.

Do you think the Halls and Eberles are too far removed having played 5 seasons already and been given the keys to kingdom? They never had a Niedermeyer or Pronger to set them straight, keep them accountable behind the scenes and working hard.

My thinking is if they want to win, they must now realize they are going to have to listen to Hendricks and other vets, even if they don’t have the clout of Pronger.

124. PDL says:

Seeing that Babcock narrowed his choices to Detroit, Buffalo and Toronto I’m guessing staying in that geographical area was the most important thing to him.For a guy that said he wants to be the Phil Jackson of hockey I dont get why he was interested in Toronto.Looks like that team is about to be blown up and rebuilt.Not a place a coach with such high aspirations should go to.

Does anyone else have a small feeling of apprehension with McLellan as head coach? And I’m really not saying this because I think he’s a bad coach. At all. Just that, say, when our team is competitive but lose a few early round exits. Similar to the results of SJ. Will we start to question this hire?

And again, I’m not saying this because I think it’s a bad hire. Or that we could have done any better than McLellan.

125. SwedishPoster says:

Very professional presser. If I’m reading between the lines correctly on both Chias earlier comments and Todd Macs comments today I don’t we’ll see any big trades this summer. They both seem like they want to see what they have in the current group. I think we’ll see a goalie and one of the FA d-men brought in and not much more. Trades probably won’t happen until mid-season imho.

126. leadfarmer says:

PDL,

After the last 8 years the last thing I’m worried about is early playoff exits.

127. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

PDL,

Same driver, but new car. Don’t expect the same results.

He wasn’t out-coached in the playoffs, to my recollection.

128. RexLibris says:

Some information on Smid and his season with the Flames, for anyone interested in following up on a former Oiler.

Should help to answer why LT hates Smid.

129. blainer says:

SwedishPoster:

I kind of got the same feeling. They NEED to watch the video of the games. No coach on this planet is gonna make this team win without changing up the D and goaltending. Was extremely disappointed when he mentioned ference in that group of vets.. sounds like he plans on keeping him. Hoping Chia is keeping his cards close..

130. RexLibris says:

Key presser point for me:

McLellan on the powerplay from a question by Griffiths: coaches tell players the how but don’t often tell them the why, I try to tell them the why.

So important to tell people the “why”. It gets them to buy in on an ideological level and tells them how to improvise when things go off-script.

131. su_dhillon says:

TheGreatMutato,

Professional, competent, experienced, confident… lots of words we have not used for years and years.

132. RexLibris says:

Connor McDavid reminds me of Toews when he was 18 years old. From my perspective they seem to look a lot alike (in terms of facial features, not skill set).

Which leads me to another strange similarity I found during the last Montreal series. Petry reminded me of a very young Gary Oldman.

Is it just me?

133. Generational Poster says:

blainer,

Chiarelli and McLellan are well aware of where the deficiencies are I’m sure…and will address them in due time. I think PC ‘keeping his cards close’ is what I see. It’s just nice to have a guy in charge that is playing poker with his cards instead of Go Fish.

I very much liked how McLellan touched on bridging the older-younger age clusters into one cohesive group of leaders. And he did mention Ference, but it almost seemed to me like he realized “oh shit I forgot the current captain” after mentioning Hendricks and Gordon. He seemed pretty fond of what Hendricks brought to the table in general, brought him up a few times.

134. RexLibris says:

Connelly brings McLellan *this* close to a Jim Mora moment with his question about playoffs.

🙂

135. RexLibris says:

McLellan: take this organization and begin to climb the mountain.

WHAT! But we spent the last nine years tunneling through the damned mountain with dynamite. What’s this “climb” thing he’s talking about?

136. AsiaOil says:

A fantastic month – unbelievable really – with more sound competent moves than the last 10 years combined. As LT said – it started with Katz FINALLY realizing the BOB were essentially destroying his team. Her hired a competent guy (Nicholson) who hired a competent guy (Chiarelli) who hired a competent guy (McLellan). The proper player moves will now follow and people will be surprised at the type of player who will now be willing to come to EDM. The previous mgmt team allowed the geographic negatives story to dominate – but in reality – no one of quality and substance wanted to come to EDM and work with the BOB.

Be scared Calgary and Vancouver – very scared.

137. blainer says:

Was just vey disappointed on the lack of questioning about the roster as it is now. No questions about the awful D or goaltending. Weather he will have any input into making any roster changes etc.. The biggest one is when do you expect us to start winning. The right answer us fans want to hear is.. we will do everything we can to compete for a playoff spot. Just brutal ..

New hires don’t understand the amount of losing this fan base has gone through.. I am pissed about the lack of urgency but will hold my patience just a little longer to see what shakes out in the off season.

138. blainer says:

Generational Poster:
    blainer,

Chiarelli and McLellan are well aware of where the deficiencies are I’m sure…and will address them in due time.I think PC ‘keeping his cards close’ is what I see. It’s just nice to have a guy in charge that is playing poker with his cards instead of Go Fish.

I very much liked how McLellan touched on bridging the older-younger age clusters into one cohesive group of leaders. And he did mention Ference, but it almost seemed to me like he realized “oh shit I forgot the current captain” after mentioning Hendricks and Gordon.He seemed pretty fond of what Hendricks brought to the table in general, brought him up a few times.

Thanks for the ference after thought maybe that’s a tell.. I hope.. Love Hendricks as well and was one of the few who was really happy with that move contract and all.. Would love to have the post trade Dubnyk though..meaning this years Dubnyk..

139. RexLibris says:

blainer:
    Was just vey disappointed on the lack of questioning about the roster as it is now. No questions about the awful D or goaltending. Weather he will have any input into making any roster changes etc.. The biggest one is when do you expect us to start winning. The right answer us fans want to hear is..we will do everything we can to compete for a playoff spot. Just brutal ..

I doubt Chiarelli answers specific roster questions in this setting.

Any reporter who posed the question would get a “I won’t comment on roster decisions at this time” and given up the mic to the next person in line.

140. RexLibris says:

I suspect Todd McLellan will become a big fan of Nugent-Hopkins.

Puck protection, stripping the opposition of possession, powerplay.

141. PDL says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1),

Yes, I agree our roster will be very different than SJ’s. And I want to believe it will be different this time.

It’s just hard to look at a roster with Thornton, Marleau, Couture, Vlasic, Pavelski, etc and say these players just didn’t have what it took to get to the SCF’s.

142. blainer says:

RexLibris: I doubt Chiarelli answers specific roster questions in this setting.

Maybe .. I guess we’ll never know..I would have asked it and if that was the response I got I would be fine with the answer.. It sounds like they don’t plan on making changes so IMO that question should have been asked.. I would also be quite happy if he was keeping quiet as long as he didn’t say we won’t be making any changes.. Now to his credit PC did say some good things about changes in his original presser.. I hope that is still the case.. we shall soon find out..

143. ashley says:

I can’t help but recall a comment here a few years ago from someone who saw Quinn on a trip to ?Yellowknife? Quinn was talking to someone at a different table in the restaurant about the Oilers after he was fired and he indicated that the problems with the organization were “way up high”.

All the 1OV picks in a decade would probably not overcome such a deep organizational problem. It’s a shame it went on for as long as it did. The second best time to plant an oak tree….

This train is finally leaving the station.

144. RexLibris says:

blainer: Maybe ..I guess we’ll never know..I would have asked it and if that was the response I got I would be fine with the answer.. It sounds like they don’t plan on making changes so IMO that question should have been asked.. I would also be quite happy if he was keeping quiet as long as he didn’t say we won’t be making any changes.. Now to his credit PC did say some good things about changes in his original presser.. I hope that is still the case.. we shall soon find out..

I expect those questions will be asked, but given the trade moratorium during the playoffs I’d guess they’ll wait until immediately after the draft to bring that up.

Changes have to be made obviously, but they know they aren’t going to get answers that got his predecessor fired (bold action, etc).

145. TheGreatMutato says:

PDL,

It’s important to remember that the reason San Jose couldn’t win the Cup had nothing to do with McLellan. It was because they didn’t have McDavid.

WOOOOOOT~

146. Pouzar says:

So I’m driven home from work on a nice evening and I am dialed into TSN1290 in Winnipeg when some blowhard from EDM (Alex Meachum or something like that) comes on the Hustler and Lawless show and he says “I would drive Jordan Eberle to the airport right now for 1 year of Dustin Byfuglien)…..I almost went off the road….man……..tough bunch dem EDM media!

Pouzar:

I NEVER said that!

148. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: I NEVER said that!

LIAR! I heard it with my own Jordan Eberle Lovin Ears!!!!!

149. linkfromhyrule says:

Pouzar: tough bunch dem EDM media!

Good lord how is there enough hot air for all of them?

Pouzar: LIAR! I heard it with my own Jordan Eberle Lovin Ears!!!!!

151. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: I said they were going to have to deal someone good for Burns or Buff and mentioned Eberle or Draisaitl. didn’t say anything specific!

got you on the run now Meachum!

Pouzar: got you on the run now Meachum!

Haha!

153. knighttown says:

AsiaOil:

Be scared Calgary and Vancouver – very scared.

When did you officially shed the darkness Asia? Now can you find us a goaler?

154. Richard S.S. says:

Did anyone forget the success to drafting, Centers, Defense and Goaltenders? Why? Centers can always be moved to the wings. You can never have enough Defense or Goaltenders.

Trading wings is easy, keep the thinkers. If it’s a choice between Hall and Eberle, many Oiler fans I talk to would rather keep Eberle for that reason. So what kind of return does Hall get us? I doubt either move this year. Just remember. This is Connor McDavid’s Team. He doesn’t have to fit the Team, the Team has to fit him.