BACK TO THE FUTURE

In a month of insane positives that cause the mind to reel, it seems ridiculous to complain about the lack of new execs checking out the fetching talent in the minor leagues. That said, if you’re going to generally manage  an NHL team, the AHL club is damned important. The Edmonton Oilers future watch is up to bat tonight, in G7 of a playoff series against the Godless Utica Comets.

I’ve been saying for some time that Darnell Nurse is more likely than not to play 50+ games for the Edmonton Oilers in 2014-15 and his post-season performance for the Barons (3GP, 0-4-4 +3) suggests he’s going to make a demotion this fall very difficult. What does that mean for Martin Marincin? It could mean he’s down the road, but I’ve been surprised by much of the recent verbal surrounding the young defender’s recent outings.

When an effective player (at any level, in this case AHL) is suddenly struggling, the first thing you confirm is injury. It’s actually a pretty cool way to get inside information, maybe something the team won’t release until later if at all. If you’ve been watching MM for as long as we have, and he’s struggling in the AHL, best bet is injury.

• Jim Matheson, May 18: The Barons scratched defenceman Martin Marincin, who’s banged up, and put David Musil back in for Game 6. Source

That flies in the face with some of what I was reading, and I’m sure many Oiler fans were wondering about MM’s current situation. It’s always best to keep your powder dry in these instances, as statements made without knowledge tend to make one look foolish. If you’re looking for examples, I can find many from my own typewriter, although in this case I did feel Marincin’s woes were probably injury related (experience is a teacher).

There’s a tweet that reflects reality. We don’t know what we don’t know folks, but sweeping statements about prospects generally make us look silly as time rolls along.

While I’m at it, wanted to discuss something that came up earlier this week. David Musil is a fascinating prospect, I saw him good in Edmonton with the Oil Kings AND with the Oilers—can’t say that about many players (Brossoit, Bruce would have names from the Phil Russell-Wayne Babych era). Musil’s ability to defend is either NHL calibre or on the way, I have zero doubt that’s true. If the NHL changed the rules and allowed the hooking and interference of many years ago, Musil would pass 1,000 games and keep on going.

It’s foot speed that’s the concern and we can’t know, folks. We can say we do (I have Musil No. 24 on my latest rankings, which SOUNDS like I know but that isn’t true) and all we really have is history. History tells us that Taylor Chorney was too small no matter how well he could skate and that God gave David Musil a lot but also gifted him feet of clay.

History tells us Brandon Davidson is a tweener but Brandon Davidson apparently doesn’t give a hoot about history (I have him No. 17 on the latest list so he’s wearing me down). He is a big damn deal for this Barons team, so the news he’ll be in tonight is good news.

Jordan Oesterle can skate skate skate, so assuming he’s not Taylor Chorney’s size (he is, I have him No. 18) we should see him in an Oilers uniform for years.

Finally, a word about Todd Nelson. Sometimes in life good people get screwed over and there’s not one damn thing they (or us) can do about it. I’m absolutely in favor of the McLellan hire, but Nelson could have filled the role well in my opinion. In cases of this kind, I’ve learned that all we can do is wish these individuals good luck and hope for the best. I don’t feel sorry for Nelson, mostly because that’s not appropriate but also because I’m a little afraid he’d drive his Harley over to my house and punch me in the arm if he found out I was pitying him.

Godspeed, Todd Nelson. I’ll cheer for you wherever you go.

151 Responses to "BACK TO THE FUTURE"

1. nqmt says:

I’m all for people making what the market dictates but that Babcock contract is absurd. No matter Chiarelli didn’t proceed further. Holland probably told him what he was looking forward and Peter put the brakes on fast.

2. Pajamah says:

Todd Nelson is so bad ass, he wears his leather jacket to the beach.

Tawny Kitaen has a poster of Todd Nelson in her room.

3. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Watching the team play for Todd Nelson made me care again.

Thanks Mr. Nelson, best of luck.

4. Melman says:

Holy crap! 8 years $50M for Babs in TO.

Hi Fives to Chia on McL

MacT chose the dumb chick (Eakins) over the smart one (Krueger). And MacT chose the floozy (Eakins) over the heart-and-soul girl-next-door (Nelson).

Eff MacT. Those are two examples of being a horrible human being.

6. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

godot10:
    MacT chose the dumb chick (Eakins) over the smart one (Krueger).And MacT chose the floozy (Eakins) over the heart-and-soul girl-next-door (Nelson).

Eff MacT.Those are two examples of being a horrible human being.

Ok then.

godot10:

Eff MacT.Those are two examples of being a horrible human being.

I see my post really struck home!

8. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Oh, posted on the tail end of the last thread not aware this one was up. Where was the heads up guys? ha ha

$3M per according to this for McLellan although it says “believed to be”

9. Southern Oil says:

Have to say after today’s events, I am thrilled Chia went after McL. Looked like a coaching hire should. The whole Babcock thing took on a life of its own. Not really Mike’s fault – more the media’s. But I really could see us (Oilers) as the jilted party (Buffalo currently) accused of being played. Then where would we be? McL would probably be far less willing to look seriously in our direction. Great hire for this team with its young parts. T.O. is going to be fun to watch. Wonder what Kessel thinks tonight?

10. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

Hopefully McLellan likes Nelson and Nelson sees the opportunity to work with that caliber of coach.

Nelson is a good hockey guy and seems to be likeable to the players which I think combined with effectiveness is the best style

11. Melman says:

LT from the last thread: if 2007-2014 is The Shawshank Laundry Scene, can we call it the Dufresne Decade (there was at least 10 years of misery packed in there)

12. RexLibris says:

Hey LT,

Why do the Gords hate Buffalo?

13. Melman says:

Southern Oil,

Totally agree – Edm. would be sitting in Buffalo’s shoes looking jilted and scrambling for McL facing stiff competition. It’ll be interesting to see who coaches Det now too

14. RexLibris says:

Melman:

Might cause some confusion if people are wondering “Andy” or “Donald”.

I remember when Donald Dufresne was brought in. He’d have made David Musil look fleet of foot, but he certainly could stop the cycle.

15. Southern Oil says:

Melman:

I quite like the Dufresne Decade!

16. RexLibris says:

Melman:
    Southern Oil,

Rumour was they’d make the switch to their AHL coach Jeff Blashill. He’s done a pretty good job the last few years.

17. RexLibris says:

Southern Oil: I quite like the Dufresne Decade!

It’s gonna get damned confusing for some media types who are out of the blog loop when we start throwing little rock hammers on the ice during a playoff run.

Although, I’d happily wave a poster of Ms. Welch to show my team spirit.

18. Johnny Larue says:

Tech issue since you have made changes to the site a problem has cropped up. The last thread went into the 2nd comment page had over 200 comments there was approx 10 new comments on page 2 . When you hit the link older comments it just went back to the first 24 comments the other 180 had disappeared and I could not access them.

19. Aitch says:

Before Nelson took the reigns, I would often suggest online that he hadn’t developed squat. But then Lander came with him and proved me wrong. (Personally, I don’t give him credit for Schultz, due to the lockout. I don’t think he ever plays in OKC otherwise. The jury is still out on everyone else.) But Nelly won me over.

However, let’s call this what it really is. To continue what GoDot said, we were just dating the girl next door, when suddenly one of the hottest girls-next-door suddenly showed an interest in us.

Now, if Nelson agrees to stay on board, we need to continue this analogy on a different messageboard.

20. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

Johnny Larue,

Hey Johnny. I just tried to replicate your problem, but failed to do so. Using Win 7 pro 64, with Chrome.

I’m going to guess that you’re on an iOS of some kind?

RexLibris:
    Hey LT,

Why do the Gords hate Buffalo?

Because they won the original lottery.

Melman:

Sure. But it has to be pronounced the way Red did.

23. Factotum says:

“Godspeed, Todd Nelson. I’ll cheer for you wherever you go.”

Amen to that.

24. cabbiesmacker says:

Yes, Nelson did get screwed over by the Oilers. Twice in fact.

But that’s the Edmonton Oilers. High on hype. Low on class.

Always have been.

25. Bag of Pucks says:

Buffalo may be one of the most tortured sports cities in America. Consistent fan support for the Bills and Sabres. 4 straight Super Bowl losses for the Bills and Sabres lose the Cup on a disputed goal. Even Scotty Bowman found a way to lose in Buffalo.

26. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Sure. But it has to be pronounced the way Red did.

If you need help thinking of Morgan Freeman’s voice, this is a good place to start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch5MEJk5ZCQ

27. LadiesloveSmid says:

Bringing McLellen on early instead of possibly losing both McLellen and Babcock during Babwatch (or paying him 8M per year) is smart move #1 by the new regime.

Bring me more!

28. Rondo says:

LadiesloveSmid,

Mike Reilly

29. Yeti says:

cabbiesmacker:
    Yes, Nelson did get screwed over by the Oilers. Twice in fact.

But that’s the Edmonton Oilers. High on hype. Low on class.

Always have been.

Screwed over? Really? I mean, I’m no fan of the previous Oilers management regime, but they gave Nelson a good job coaching the AHL team and using that to hone his skills and showcase his talent. Then he’s been given another window to prove himself over the past few months. He doesn’t intrinsically deserve an NHL coaching job, and he can’t really complain about the new coach being picked over him.

Should he have been given the job over Eakins two years back? Not really – if the Oil were resolved to move on from Krueger then they should have got an experienced coach right then.

I think Nelson has been treated well and we’ll see if he’s done enough to get another team interested. I very much hope so as he seems a really decent guy.

RexLibris:
    Hey LT,

Why do the Gords hate Buffalo?

Owner’s hubris.

31. John Chambers says:

Sounds like Tim Murray needs to go to anger counselling or do yoga because they seem to be getting irked or livid about something foreseeable every couple of weeks.

I also wasn’t a fan of the Kane trade from their perspective and as a result Murray has me believing that team is Effed in a Tambellini sort of way. Sorry Sabres fans.

32. Pouzar says:

Nurse playing on first PP unit

33. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Because they won the original lottery.

The one where they sent 7 boys and 7 girls to the Cretan Minotaur? How the hell does that justify what the Olympian Gords are doing to them now?!

Seriously though, they’ve done almost everything right. Invest in smarter drafting, develop players internally, cut costs by innovating and taking chances on smaller skilled players when MOAR BIG was all the rage.

And still, they get screwed at the drive-thru.

34. John Chambers says:

LadiesloveSmid:

Bring me more!

No kidding. Everyone is tripping over themselves for a date with Babcock while the best thing besides Babcock (and quite close) goes almost unsuitored.

As an Oilers fan it was annoying to hear speculation that a certain player might sign or be traded here (Hossa, Heatley, even Matt O’Connor etc) so to have avoided the spectacle and emerged with a similar result is nicely unfamiliar.

Chiarelli isn’t going to make a rube of the Oil drop.

35. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Woodguy: Owner’s hubris.

Am I missing something?

36. jimmers2 says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1),

FWIW, I had exactly the same problem monday with an iphone. Haven’t tried to access the site with the iphone since however.

37. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: Sure. But it has to be pronounced the way Red did.

You’re being obtuse.

38. GCW_69 says:

Nelson would actually be a good coach for Buffalo if they are done whale hunting.

39. LadiesloveSmid says:

Rondo:
    LadiesloveSmid,

Mike Reilly

the Eskimo or the Columbus free agent?

40. hunter1909 says:

LadiesloveSmid:

Bring me more!

There’s this picture in my mind of Lowe+MacT – stalking Dany Heatly during the summer holidays.

41. John Chambers says:

RexLibris,

I’m kind of glad Toronto caught a break as they’ve been cursed by Gord forever, as we all know.

Having landed Brian Burke (who was IMO adding some nice pieces), and now spending $50M on Babcocks hockey brain, they have no excuses why they suck and will continue to suck, forever and ever amen

42. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

jimmers2,

It generally runs well on my Win 8.1 Nokia, and I’ve only noticed one annoying thing on my Win 7 machine since the site migration – the page will sometimes refresh and jump to the top, but that happens very infrequently.

43. Pouzar says:

Oesterle looks fantastic tonight. Nurse playing the point on the 1-3-1 PP

44. Rondo says:

LadiesloveSmid,

Ha ha might be a good D-man and a good quarterback on the PP

45. Visually better says:

I actually had the chance to briefly meet Mr. Nelson on jasper ave the night of the red bull crashed ice championship. I was with a couple buddies outside Kraft and recognized him instantly as he walked by. (It was actually pretty funny because the guy was able to walk around jasper ave without being noticed and I made the assumption he actually quite enjoyed that) Anyways! As soon as he walked by, I said ‘hey you’re Todd nelson’!! (I had a couple of pops and was a little over excited) he stopped walking, turned around and said hey to all of us, individually shook all of our hands and asked for all of our names. I was actually stunned he would even acknowledge us punks yelling out his name, but he took the time to meet all of us. I proceeded to mentioned that I was buddies with a young’n who is currently playing with OKC that he coached and he extended the conversation even further.

Point being, absolute professional but also just a good human. Like you LT I believe the new hire is what needed to be done, but would be extremely overjoyed if he stayed around, and if not I will continue to cheer for him.

Godspeed Sir. Nelson

46. jimmers2 says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1),

That was the only occasion where something similar has happened. Probably a
    iOS thingey, perhaps even a problem with WordPress.

47. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

Pouzar,

Is Nurse still paired with Oestie? That is some kind of speed from the back end. Staples wrote about how well Nurse has looked in this stint with OKC.

48. blainer says:

Man can you imagine the oilers getting this kind of Goaltending next year.. If that happens it’s playoffs for sure…

49. blainer says:

That Markstrom guy might be good to…

50. prairieschooner says:

Hope can be a dangerous thing

51. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

Nurse voted to 2nd team, behind DeAngelo and Bigras.

52. Younger Oil says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1):

Nurse voted to 2nd team, behind DeAngelo and Bigras.

Not Ovechkin?

53. blainer says:

Really missing Yak2 and Pak.. Those are two big strong boys..Different series if they are not injured for sure IMO..

54. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: Owner’s hubris.

That’s Philadelphia, I think.

But does explain Toronto.

Maybe that’s it. The Hubristic miasma that the Hockey Gords have sent from on high to plague the denizens of the Big Smoke has wafted across the Great Lakes and now infects those righteous sufferers in Upper State New York. It might have drifted as far as Long Island but for a favourable Zephyr that rose up this year.

55. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

RexLibris: a favourable Zephyr that rose up this year.

I thought they called them Alberta Clippers in the NE US?

56. blainer says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1):

Nurse voted to 2nd team, behind DeAngelo and Bigras.

Think Nurse may have made 1st star if not for his injury..

57. jimmers2 says:

Does anyone here know why Nurse is with OKC but McDavid has no such contract? I presume there is an eligibility rule involved (it is late in the playoffs to be parachuting in help after all) ; perhaps someone here has the answer. Thanks!

58. Mr DeBakey says:

i was going to comment on this, but the moment passed and blah, blah, blah.
    It was getting pretty crazy in here.

Guys
    Stick to facts
    You have no idea what anyone is thinking.
    What’s going on in the dressing room? You don’t know.
    Is so-and-so popular, a leader, a dick? You can’t tell watching the games on TV
    Is the coach losing the room? Its more likely he lost his cool, or a contact lens.
    Leave interpreting body language to Shauger, he’s the pro.
    Thank-you
    Sermon’s over.
    Carry on.

59. pocession charge says:

jimmers2:
    Does anyone here know why Nurse is with OKC but McDavid has no such contract?I presume there is an eligibility rule involved (it is late in the playoffs to be parachuting in help after all) ; perhaps someone here has the answer.Thanks!

McDavid is only 18 and can’t play in the AHL. Plus he’s not technically an Oiler yet. *the HELL he isn’t!*

60. Bad Seed says:

jimmers2,

He’s not Oiler property yet for one thing.

61. jimmers2 says:

Bad Seed,

Good god, what a difference a week has made in my brain. Drunk on hope! Thanks for setting me straight, I’d find that funny if I was you.

62. Dashingsilverfox says:

Utica scores.

1-0

63. Richard S.S. says:

Lowetide
    Love your site, excellent way to keep current on the Oilers. Love listening to your Podcasts at work, most encouraging. (Of course, yours is the only podcast that still carries commercials.) I notice that people have trouble accessing your site via smart phones or similar devices. With all your ‘techie” minions couldn’t an App be made for your site?

64. Mr DeBakey says:

jimmers2:

I have it on good authority that he Oilers are trading their 1st Round pick.

65. jimmers2 says:

Mr DeBakey,

You can’t push me back into that sewer pipe. I won’t go!

66. thejonrmcleod says:

I didn’t miss the Eakins RE post, did I? I prepared a comment two weeks ago for it. I’ll probably be the only one who thinks it’s funny.

67. pocession charge says:

OKC RIP

68. Visually better says:

game over.

1 Utica – 0 OKC

69. G Money says:

Nurse at >ppg in the AHL playoffs?

Small sample, but … man.

70. G Money says:

Hey LT, are you going to do an RE for McLellan?

71. thejonrmcleod says:

Johnny Larue:

I was not able to replicate your problem. Using a VIC-20.

Defunct. Horrible word. Oakland Seals say hello.

73. jimmers2 says:

Jim Byers a little choked on the OKC radio cast. I hope he has the chance to follow the farm team operation to California.

74. Dashingsilverfox says:

thejonrmcleod: I was not able to replicate your problem. Using a VIC-20.

Happens all the time on my iPad.

Seems to be an incompatibility issues with IOS

75. Dashingsilverfox says:

Tyler Johnson with 1G 1A and counting.

76. kinger_OIL says:

thejonrmcleod: I was not able to replicate your problem. Using a VIC-20.

My Sinclair ZX 81 has the same issues Larue: weird, going to old comments its a different link. I’m using Chrome: althought it might be an old version

G Money:
    Hey LT, are you going to do an RE for McLellan?

I could, but have a ‘McLellan In A Box” post similar to this coming

78. thebiggestmanintheworld says:

Tyler Johnson.

Wow, what a player…

79. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    Tyler Johnson with 1G 1A and counting.

thejonrmcleod:

Nope It’s coming!

81. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

Sail on, Okla)(homa.

82. Halfwise says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1):
    Sail on, Okla)(homa.

83. Ben says:

Ergh. Strombo speaks like a sugar-high nine year old girl at a sleepover.

84. Dashingsilverfox says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”: Amazing. Also, how much is Stepan going to cost the Rangers this summer and who are they going to move to accommodate his (I presume) 6M+ salary?

It is amazing.

And that;s just Johnson.

SPAM ALERT

I took a look at Yzerman’s work on my blog a few days back:

“Pretty clear evidence that Yzerman is among the elite of NHL GM’s.

One facet of Yzerman’s team building that doesn’t get mentioned much is how thoroughly he has mined an opportunity that many other teams ignore…Russians and to a lesser degree…other East Europeans.

Since his first draft, Yzerman has drafted:

Vladislav Namestnikov (2011)

Nikita Kucherov (2011)

Nikita Nesterov (2011)

Ondrej Palat (2011)

Andrei Vasilevskiy (2012)

Nikita Gusev (2012)

Kristers Gudlevskis (2013)

Fully 5 of those players have seen action in this seasons’ playoff action..around 20 percent of the TB roster.

Another interesting item is the TB draft strategy that came in the 2014 draft when the Bolts had 3 picks in the first 2 rounds and selected 3 defensemen.

The first of those picks was Anthony DeAngelo of the Sarnia Sting who, in this past OHL season, where he played for the Sting and, later, the SSM Greyhounds, scored 21 goals and 89 points before scoring another 16 points in 13 playoff games.

The second pick was towering Czech defenseman Dominik Masin who played for the Peterborough Petes, managing 26 points in 48 games.

The third pick was another big D, Jonathan MacLeod, who had a very nice freshman season with Boston University.

I would also be remiss if I failed to mention that Yzerman also signed 6’7″ 220 Czech defenseman Andrej Sustr.

With Victor Hedman leading the way, Nesterov and Sustr already playing significant minutes, 28 year old Anton Stralman under contract for another 4 seasons at a reasonable $4.5M cap hit and 2 thirty year old veterans, Matt Carle and Braydon Coburn, to provide support, the Lightning D should be formidable for the foreseeable future.

And a forward group that includes Steven Stamkos, Tyler Johnson,Nikita Kucherov, Andrej Palat and Jonathan Drouin ain’t no chopped liver either.

Once a phenom like DeAngelo joins the group I think the Lightning will join the elite and stay there for a long time.”

85. G Money says:

Lowetide: I could, but have a ‘McLellan In A Box” post similar to this coming

Excellent. Lucky (or maybe too bad) that McLellan’s first name is not Dick!

86. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Yes, good points. Yzerman went Billy Beane on the league: high OBP, low batting average, high K rate, high ISO guys vs. Russians (KHL factor). Everyone was overlooking them and undervaluing them except Tampa.

87. steveb12344 says:

thejonrmcleod: I was not able to replicate your problem. Using a VIC-20.

My first computer was a Vic 20.

Used to buy those video game mags, and type out the programs to get cheezy games, and then save them to cassette… Good times.

88. G Money says:

steveb12344,

Bro!

I learned to program on a Vic-20 by taking one of those cheezy games (some sort of star battle game) and modifying it to load the deck in my favour. Duck to water. I sometimes wonder what I would have done in a pre-digital era.

Wished I’d saved one of those old machines.

89. steveb12344 says:

G Money,

Yeah it was a lot different then. You had to learn at least some programming just to be able to use them. That, and your home page was a blank screen…lol

Yzerman added Garrison, Stralman, and Coburn since last July 1st. Hey, Petey, your mission if you choose to accept it is to do that for the Oilers.

91. thejonrmcleod says:

steveb12344,

I remember when I was a kid, one of the pop brands had a contest with the grand prize being a VIC-20. You had to collect bottle cap liners that spelled VIC-20. The hard one to get was the C. A guy on my street said he had a C and would give it to me. You can probably guess the rest of the story.

92. Dashingsilverfox says:

godot10:
    Yzerman added Garrison, Stralman, and Coburn since last July 1st.Hey, Petey, your mission if you choose to accept it is to do that for the Oilers.

Yep.

Man knows what he’s doing.

93. Dashingsilverfox says:

Palat from Nesterov and Kucherov.

94. Gordies Elbow says:

steveb12344: My first computer was a Vic 20.

Usedto buy those video game mags, and type out the programs to get cheezy games, and then save them to cassette… Good times.

Atari 600xl with a cassette drive. 16Kb of memory, built-in BASIC, PBI parallel bus. Copy code out of the ANTIC magazine, wow, out comes a game (after a great deal of swearing.)

Started with text adventures in BASIC, moved on to plugging in PEEKs and POKEs.

Good times, the 80’s were, and not just because of Gretzky and Messier.

95. Frank the dog says:

BUG ALERT
    Hi LT,
    Your prior blog, http://lowetide.ca/2015/05/20/our-long-nation-nightmare-is-over/comment-page-1/#comments
    The page opens with the last 19 of 219 comments, but when you select older comments, it only shows 9.
    Cheers!

96. steveb12344 says:

Gordies Elbow: Copy code out of the ANTIC magazine,wow, out comes a game (after a great deal of swearing.)

Yeah it would take hours of typing, and you couldn’t make a single mistake. When you finally got it to work, it was awesome though.

97. Pouzar says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1):
    Pouzar,

Sorry just got back.

Yeah he was paired with Oesterle.

Frank the dog:
    BUG ALERT
    Hi LT,
    Cheers!

works fine for me. Will check it out though

99. Frank the dog says:

GCW_69:

Bittersweet if he came back and beat us like Dubnyk did.

100. Gordies Elbow says:

Frank the dog: Bittersweet if he came back and beat us like Dubnyk did.

Buffalo was the red-headed step child in the draft lottery and the Babcock hire. I wish only the best for them.

And the best is likely Todd Nelson.

Good luck, and god-speed, Todd.

101. Pouzar says:

I picked TB to win SC so they’re f^cked.

102. Dashingsilverfox says:

Kucherov scores in OT. From Nesterov.

Palat with a 3 point game.

103. Frank the dog says:

After about 5 replications prior it’s working fine now. Weird.

104. Frank the dog says:

Gordies Elbow: Not that bittersweet – McLellan is a great coach, Jay Woodcroft is a great add, and Chiarelli is an executive with a great deal of experience. Edmonton got all of those this off season. We also won Connor McDavid.

And the best is likely Todd Nelson.

Good luck, and god-speed, Todd.

Seems that Todd and Buffalo have something in common. And it’s not hubris.

105. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    Kucherov scores in OT. From Nesterov.

Palat with a 3 point game.

I hope you become the GM of the Flames.

106. gr8one says:

thejonrmcleod:
    steveb12344,

The hard on to get was the C.

That’s what she said.

107. Dashingsilverfox says:

Rip Fan Winkle “OilOnslaught”: I hope you become the GM of the Flames.

If I did…I would kick your ass.

In the 2011 draft, the TBL selected Kucherov, Namestnikov, Nesterov and Palat.

Those are 4 actual NHL players.

The Oilers selected RNH, Klefbom and a bunch of junk.

Considering the Oilers were selecting 1st overall and had 2 1st round picks, Yzerman made them his bitches despite picking 27th, 58th, 148th, 178th, 201st and 208th.

108. LadiesloveSmid says:

Dashingsilverfox: If I did…I would kick your ass.

In the 2011 draft, the TBL selected Kucherov, Namestnikov, Nesterov and Palat.

Those are 4 actual NHL players.

The Oilers selected RNH, Klefbom and a bunch of junk.

Namestnikov an NHL player with 16 in 47, Rieder fits into “a bunch of junk” with 21P in 72? Where’s the cutoff for “NHL player”? Somewhere where it helps your argument?

Musil pick is probably one of the most frustrating in my young memory though. Saad, Jenner, Gibson, Ritchie, so much talent

109. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox: If I did…I would kick your ass.

In the 2011 draft, the TBL selected Kucherov, Namestnikov, Nesterov and Palat.

Those are 4 actual NHL players.

The Oilers selected RNH, Klefbom and a bunch of junk.

So, we’re closing the door on the 2011 draft? If so, the Vancouver Canucks have two tweeners, at best in Nicklas Jensen with all of 3 goals and 6 points, and Frankie Corrado with 2 goals and two points.

Glass houses?

110. 719 says:

HI guys, sorry to go off topic a bit here. One guy who caught my eye recently is Rasmus Andersson, anyone have thoughts or seen him live? Seems like an amazing 2nd round pick if he is available.

TIA

111. Dashingsilverfox says:

Gordies Elbow: So, we’re closing the door on the 2011 draft? If so, the Vancouver Canucks have two tweeners, at best inNicklas Jensen with all of 3 goals and 6 points, and Frankie Corrado with 2 goals and two points.

Glass houses?

What’s your point?

We seem to be on an aggressive run here, DSF. Is there a debate you’d like to have or is it “I’m going to kick your ass night” at the OK corral?

113. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox: The Canucks, until Benning took over, were likely the worst drafting team in the NHL.

What’s your point?

114. Samson Loveblast says:

Tough break for OKC although I look forward to seeing the Condors in California on my next visit to the US now.

On the Babcock front, surprising decision for a range of reasons, money was more but not that much more vs Buffalo. Secondly Buffalo have some good talent already on the team and in the system + will add Eichel, they have the makings of a very strong team. The level of quality of the Leafs and their respective system is much less certain in my opinion.

115. Dashingsilverfox says:

I’m not sure how that works.

116. Gerta Rauss says:

Frank the dog:
    BUG ALERT
    Hi LT,
    Cheers!

I’ve seen variations of this bug for the last 3 or 4 weeks. At first I thought it was a problem locally(browser cache/whatever) but I’ve seen the error on several devices both at home and at work. (win7,win8 and Android)The comments can be seen from the homepage in the “latest comments” window , but when you click on the comments to read them you only see a handful of the comments.

Logging in with your wordpress account has always resolved the issue for me( please confirm if you were logged in FTD, I’m sure Danny would appreciate it the feedback)

IOS(apple) devices have always had a problem here. Someone suggested an app that you can use to browse to the site that seems to work(bookie?) but I can’t remember the name of the app

I thought our host/Danny mentioned a mobile app recently, it sounds like changes are in progress behind the scenes, we’ll all just have to be patient.

Dashingsilverfox: We seem to be at the point here I am responsible for the draft record of both the Flames and Canucks.

I’m not sure how that works.

Well, you’re improving , I’ll say that much.

118. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox,

I though that Benning was responsible for the horrifically poor drafting record of the Vancouver Canucks?

That said, I believe that it takes 5 years (or more, for some players, as evidenced by Tampa this year.)

As much as David Musil has suffered the slings and arrows around here, coaches seem to like him. Wouldn’t be shocked to see him get more games in the NHL next season.

119. Dashingsilverfox says:

Gordies Elbow: While I would normally point out that the 2011 draft is still bringing in players, I’d like to take this moment to point out that the both the 2010 and 2007 entry drafts for Vancouver have a unique characteristic: 0gp-0g-0a-0pts for all players. Yep, Benning was remarkably poor.

Benning was announced as the Canucks GM 362 days ago.

Might want to give the man a couple more days before passing judgement.

120. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox,

So it wasn’t Benning? Who was responsible?

121. Dashingsilverfox says:

Gordies Elbow:
    Dashingsilverfox,

So it wasn’t Benning? Who was responsible?

Steve Tambellini. 🙂

122. LadiesloveSmid says:

Gordies Elbow:
    Dashingsilverfox,

no no no wrong wrong wrong

Yak is 21 and a bust. Drai is 19 and will top out at Joe Colborne.

123. Ryan says:

Lowetide: Well, you’re improving , I’ll say that much.

Speaking of drafting…

I experience this weird phenomenon where roughly once per month some random word will pop into my head. It’s always in the morning after the first cup of coffee. I’ll typically have no recollection of where I came across said word and I’ll have no idea what the word actually means.

So when this happens, naturally I am compelled to look up these words and find out what they actually mean.

In this instance, Wikipedia tells me various definitions, but one in particular that stood out, “given to walking about.”

I almost died of laughter.

You never want the guy running your draft board to be a peripatetic.

124. RPG says:

Gerta Rauss,

Puffin Browser solves the problems for me and my IPAD. It’s free.

125. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox: Steve Tambellini.

Must have known that the Canucks would be screwed long term, with no young players to fill in when the Sedin’s got old.

The long con. Knew he would be hired.

Brilliant!

Thank god that Edmonton now has Chiarelli, and McLellan, and Woodcroft, and McDavid, right?

126. Gerta Rauss says:

RPG:
    Gerta Rauss,

Puffin Browser solves the problems for me and my IPAD. It’s free.

Yup, thanks

I knew it was some kind of bird or fuzzy animal of some sort, just couldn’t remember

127. Snowman says:

Tampa has done a good job drafting. Vancouver hasn’t. Edmonton has been maybe a little below average considering the location of their picks and probably better the last few years. All of these things can exist simultaneously. Edmonton’s shortcomings are probably the best documented in the entire NHL.

Tampa is a good team. Edmonton is likely improving. Vancouver is getting worse. All of these things correlate with drafting. What part of this is causing anyone’s blood pressure to rise?

Did I miss something?

128. Ryan says:

Gerta Rauss,

Yes, I notice this at work too. I never login at work.

Usually, I switch to my iPhone which resolves the issue since it’s logged in.

I assume that this caused by a WordPress caching plugin. W3totalcache?

129. supernova says:

Gordies Elbow,

Why even bother with the back and forth with DSF.
    He has proved for years that he just hops on the bandwagon of who ever is doing well.
    Last year LA, prior to that Chicago, LA and Vancouver.
    This year ( or right now) TB.

DSF is all about flavour of the month with no spine to stick with his takes. ( or be a true fan of one Team)

Which is fine because he has decent arguments but he hops around like a mad man.

130. Ryan says:

I’m not sure how that works.

Haha, you’re a smart guy. You should know…. You ruffle certain people’s feathers and they peg you for a Canucks homer/Flames fan, so they’re throwing jabs at you. It’s not that complicated.

131. Магия 10 says:

Win 8. If I click on the post titles I see all comment always. But if I click on the recent comments (or on any comment and then refresh) I only see some of the comments. Until recently both always worked. Sure feels like a word press cache ‘feature’. Its a nuisance because I’ve lost the quick refresh to last comment.

132. Магия 10 says:

I’m not sure how that works.

well start by changing gm bandwagons more often than the oilers change coaches.

133. Gordies Elbow says:

Snowman:

Did I miss something?

Personally, just playing the role of the reverse troll, using the same tactics as some (LT: Ban me if you think it’s appropriate – I only bring up the arguments I do to point out logical fallacies, such as TB is great at finding young players, and Edmonton is not.)

I get that we don’t want to become an echo chamber, but posters like “Cameron” don’t come around often enough. You get guys who try to troll, but all they do is amp up the noise to signal ratio. That said, it’s important to keep the dialogue alive, and will drag some into discussions to expose fallacies.

I just wish that it didn’t become every second post on this site. Healthy dialogue is OK, but if it’s every second post, it becomes repetitive.

134. Ryan says:

Магия 10:

Most WordPress caching plugins have an option to turnn off caching for logged in users. Caching is designed to speed up page loading and lower server load.

If Lowetide is still running off his Godaddy shared hosting, it’s a wonder.

My claim to fame is that I once sold a high traffic blog for a few bucks at Flippa.com. It went from shared hosting at the onset to various vps options to a dedicated hostgator server by the time I sold it.

I also used a cdn to speed page loading and reduce server load.

All of this cost several hundred dollars per month.

Lowetide could probably reduce server load by using disqus or Livefyre since the comments and page views per user are very high, this would also solve the caching issue for comments.

135. RexLibris says:

Ryan: Today, that word was ‘peripatetic.’ Now if Rexlibris can attest that he hasn’t used that at this blog, then I can safely assume that I’ve never came across it before.

You know, I’ve been trying to think of a way to work that in…

Funny how you say that. It happens to me sometimes as well. I can’t recall the last one that tumbled through my noggin but I am familiar with the odd sensation.

Edit – Catafalque. That was the word. Strange one to pop into one’s head, but there you go. Probably inspired by the Oilers’ season ending.

Ryan: Speaking of drafting…

I experience this weird phenomenon where roughly once per month some random word will pop into my head.It’s always in the morning after the first cup of coffee.I’ll typically have no recollection of where I came across said word and I’ll have no idea what the word actually means.

Today, that word was ‘peripatetic.’Now if Rexlibris can attest that he hasn’t used that at this blog, then I can safely assume that I’ve never came across it before.

I almost died of laughter.

You never want the guy running your draft board to be a peripatetic.

Incredible! On draft day PLEASE use your power for good!!!!

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”: Owner or GM? I feel like the Pegulas have been very good for Buffalo. Saving the Bills, pouring money into the Sabres. All while seemingly sounding humble and “aw shucks” about being the town hero of what is at best a “difficult” destination to attract talent.

Am I missing something?

My mistake.

138. LadiesloveSmid says:

supernova:
    Gordies Elbow,

Why even bother with the back and forth with DSF.
    Last year LA, prior to that Chicago, LA and Vancouver.
    This year ( or right now) TB.

Ya it might be better to just ignore him. If 60% of what he says is trolling, his posts will die when he doesn’t get a rise from anybody.

Just reminds me of when kids think they’ve outsmarted you on something they clearly haven’t and you have to show them in every which way they’re wrong. I hate that I respond.

Also news to me that he’s apparently an oiler fan. He might be the only actual “tier 2 fan” there is because he comes up with weird anti-oilers ideas that more often than not cannot be backed up statistically or anecdotally. Who does that?

139. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Incredible! On draft day PLEASE use your power for good!!!!

Or become a 48 hour Flames fan.

You know. Whatever.

140. Prince Rupert's Oildrop says:

Man, the OKC Barons are no more. Oh man, I am sad about this one. I also lost the Houston Aeros last year and they brought OKC to town quite a bit as division rivals.

Anyway, here’s to the OKC BARONS. As they skate into hockey history, I raise my glass.

141. Marc says:

This post went up after I went to bed last night, so a couple of belated comments.

First, I think the early ’90s Oilers need to be in a category of their own. No matter how bad things got over the past decade, I never once felt as disengaged from the Oilers as I did in the early ’90s. Those teams were terrible and poorly coached, the drafting was horrific, and they included some of the most unlikeable players to ever pull on Oilers silks. Coming so soon after the dynasty years magnified the awfulness. Going from watching Messier lift the Cup, to watching Shayne f***ing Corson a couple years later, was my absolute nadir as an Oilers fan.

Second, when it was announced that Babcock was going to the Leafs, my first thought was of Ned Stark heading down to King’s Landing at the beginning of Game of Thrones. A good man and great leader going off to help an old comrade govern a chaotic kingdom….

Let’s hope it turns out a bit better for Babs.

142. PhrankLee says:

Wow. What a couple of weeks! What a month!

Overnight relevance.

This place has had it’s shadows and demons always hide there. The mood of the blog has ticked up so dramatically that I assume everyone’s friends and family has experienced an up swing in quality of life.

I really love hearing the respected members arguments about money vs. quality of life. Mostly because I know there are young people who read this blog and take away much. There is wit, humility and experience in so many of these comments. Current poster excluded, of course. Ha.

Nice blog in the morning after what seems like, no, what has been an actual and terrible foreverness of slithering through shit pipe toward freedom.

If that is so, and we may never know, Lowe is a true man among men and deserving of respect for that sacrifice. That’s hard to write.

There are moves that would have kept the masses happy for a short time. But systemic change has taken place. (not to mention falling ass-backward into good luck)

I don’t know if I will ever get over the embarrassment I felt when he launched off on his reptilian and bitter “six rings” speech…

But this is a phenomenal start!

The guy was one of my greatest childhood and teenage heroes. He was one of the meanest, aggressive and competitive players we have ever had. Loved him. It’s disheartening when they fail so miserably.

Road to redemption.

143. slopitch says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1):
    Sail on, Okla)(homa.

haha well done!

144. frjohnk says:

PhrankLee: One would have to credit Katz first. For pulling the trigger. But in my mind he absolutely HAD to be guided by Lowe.
    If that is so, and we may never know,

145. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

frjohnk: I think you are bang on the money as Ive been thinking the same thing. But like you say, we may never know how this all went down.

Quick, take out a billboard accross from head office:

“Nevermind….”

146. pts2pndr says:

Ladieslovesmid

Yak is not a bust just Eakened! He was good under Ralph and improving under Nelson so have patience! He wants to improve, he has talent but you can not put a square peg in a round hole and blame the peg for not fitting! See Lander who according to Eakins was not as good as Acton! Please people recognize where the main problem lay. MacT only exacerbated the problem by being unwilling to admit he made a mistake with his hire? Also see Petry as the evidence is overwhelming!

147. pts2pndr says:

Lt
    Thank you so much! A friend turned me on to this site and your show about six weeks ago and was one of the best gifts ever! I find your posters insightful for the most part and u even have the required villain DSF.. Keep it coming!, From a Oiler die hard fan and Vietnam Vet!

pts2pndr:
    Lt
    Thank you so much! A friend turned meon to this site and your show about six weeks ago and was one of the best gifts ever!I find your posters insightful for the most part and u even have the required villain DSF.. Keep it coming!, From a Oiler die hardfan and Vietnam Vet!

Glad you’re aboard, and thank you for your service!

149. Java on Ice - NHL Must-Reads for May 22 - Today's Slapshot says:

[…] at Lowetide.ca, they break down the future of the Edmonton Oilers and discuss the prospects that could make an impact soon. Check […]