THE OILERS AND RUSSIA (2015 DRAFT)

By any measure, Bogdan Yakimov is tracking very well for a third-round selection. The big center—he is 6.05, 232—had a good season in Oklahoma City and finished up well (12 points in his final 13 games) before losing his year to injury. He also played a game in the NHL, something he obviously enjoyed even though it happened quickly:

• Yakimov: “It was a game in Los Angeles. The plane landed and it looks like it’s summer there, beaches, palms, Beverly Hills. It was really incredible. We got to the hotel and everything was great. You can feel the high level of organization. At the arena everything was so great that my head was going around in circles. However, I was feeling normal, and everyone around me started saying “come on, come on, congrats. Your first game, don’t worry, all will be great.” But as they tried to get myself comfortable, I started worrying (laughs). Then they announced the game, and they started broadcasting a video where they pictured center forwards, and who will play against who in the faceoff circles. And there appeared Kopitar, Richards, Carter, and some one else. I was so happy! Before the game I didn’t realize that I would be playing against such stars. I never had such emotions in my life.” Source

NHL TOTAL PLAYERS/RUSSIAN PLAYERS DRAFTED BY YEAR AND TOTAL

• 2011 NHL draft–9 total players, 0 from Russia
  • 2010 NHL draft–11 total players, 0 from Russia
  • 2009 NHL draft–7 total players, 0 from Russia
  • 2008 NHL draft–5 total players, 0 from Russia
  • FINAL TALLY: 55 total players, 2 from Russia
  • PERCENTAGE: 3.6%

The KHL has impacted Russian Russians at the NHL draft. I can’t imagine there’s a place on earth where the odds of getting an actual NHL player with (say) a fourth-round pick could be higher. If you can draft him and get him to North America, the chances you’re getting a quality player are extremely high. Right?

TOP RUSSIANS IN RUSSIA, 2015

1. L Denis Gurianov, Lada (MHL). Smooth offensive player, good size. Emerging PF. Quality U18.
  2. G Ilya Samsonov, Magnitogorsk (Rus Jr) Big goalie, good numbers, quality U18’s.
  3. C Alexander Dergachyov, St. Petersburg (Rus Jr). Giant skill C, attractive range of skills.
  4. L Mihkail Vorobyov, Ufa, Rus Jr. Big winger with some offense. 6.02, 198. Impressed U18’s.
  5. D Vladislav Gavrikov, Yaroslavl (KHL). Two-way defender with size and skill. He’s a 1995.
  6. L Kirill Kaprizov, Novokuznetsk (KHL). Small skill winger.
  7. D Dmitri Yudin, St. Petersburg (KHL). 6.02 D, shutdown type plays in the KHL.
  8. D Artem Volkov, HK MVD (MHL). Good speed, quality passer. Likes to engage physically.
  9. L Andrei Kuzmenko, Krasnaya Armiya Moskva (MHL). Skill winger, 5.11 181 and had an impressive season.
  10. D Yegor Rykov, St. Petersburg (MHL). Effective two-way D, good passer, intelligent.

Based on recent history, not all of these kids will be chosen and even fewer will make the trip over to North America. The KHL may not be all that was hoped for, but they consistently deal the NHL a body blow when it comes to the best young talent available in Russia. The Russian kids who come over are fair game, but there are genuine talents here and the Oilers should consider drafting one or two of these prospects in the hopes of getting another Yakimov or Slepyshev.

71 Responses to "THE OILERS AND RUSSIA (2015 DRAFT)"

1. PeOiler says:

I do love those Russian Russians. You have to think that with Yak, Yak, Slepyshev in the mix, some of the worries would be lessened in regard to coming to North America if the Oilers end up calling their names.

2. Oddspell says:

I’m pretty sure we drafted a Russian player in 2012, LT!

Oops I realize you meant Russian league player not nationality.

3. hunter1909 says:

Unlike the Dunderheads previously in charge, Nicholson and Chiarelli might turn out to appreciate the value of Russian players.

Oddspell:
    I’m pretty sure we drafted a Russian player in 2012, LT!

Yes, but out of the OHL. He wasn’t Russian Russian!

5. Barcs says:

That top 4 is insane.

Every team in the NHL is dying for that combination of size and skill.

Would love to see something similar to the 2013 draft where the Oilerstrade down for more picks and come away with two quality Russian prospects.

Gurianov and Dergachyov would be my choices.

6. Genjutsu says:

The top three would be of interest if still on the board with our third round selections.

A touch off topic but is there no chance of Betker going back for an over age year? He seems l like an ideal candidate given the long jam at D.

Big men usually take more time to develope anyways; might this not be the best thing for all sides?

7. gd says:

hunter1909:

There are infinite things to complain about the previous regime, but the Yak2/Slepy picks in 2013 might have been the best draft bet this org has made since Kurri. Big skilled wingers could be the perfect complement to the McD/RNH dynamic. If either one of them pans out then 2013 would be a key draft for the McD era.

8. OF17 says:

I do worry somewhat about continuing the Russians strategy. One of the biggest advantages the Oilers have in that regard is Yakupov. Remove him, as the team may well have to do in the coming years, and it’s uncertain whether the Oilers will be as big of a draw for Russian players coming over. That’s assuming Slepyshev and Yakimov haven’t made it into the core by the time Yak goes, but I think that’s a reasonable assumption.

I really do love Yak, but safe money has Hall-McDavid and Nuge-Eberle as the two top-6 pairs moving forward. If Yak’s next contract is too high, I bet he’s traded.

9. spoiler says:

I think you might be able to pick Samsonov up with a late value pick. Teams are shying away from drafting goalies high in the first place and with the KHL factor, maybe you can get him with a 5th or 6th rounder.

Gurianov and Dergachyev won’t fall too far methinks. If we still have the MTL 2nd on the former and our own 3rd on the latter maybe they will be there for a value selection, but they’ll still be competing with a lot of other talent and my guess is we will be picking a Dman with at least one of those two picks.

Those two especially, I think teams will have a pretty good read on what their future plans are.

10. Gordies Elbow says:

Russian players drop.

As the 16th pick, if players like Jeremy Roy are not available, I could see them taking a flyer on Yevgeni Svechnikov.

Would be a great addition.

11. spoiler says:

Gordies Elbow,

Quality still goes high… Nichushkin, Tarasenko, Vasilevskiy, Dano etc… They slide a bit but not too much. Certainly the mid-pack guys get overlooked.

12. spoiler says:

For shits and giggles…

My guess on how the Top 16 might play out:*

1. EDM — McDavid
    2. BUF — Eichel

No brainer so far.

3. ARI — Marner, completes the Junior line, and the best of the 3.
    4. TOR — Hanifin, Perfect start to the rebuild. Will get top end C next year.
    5. CAR — Strome, Staals’ heir.

Might not go in that order, but they’re the next 3 names off the board. Gets a little harder now.

6. NJD — Need talent, have nothing in the sys up front. I will say Barzal, but possibly Rantanen.
    7. PHI — Provorov. Desperate for D as other teams are and this draft is loaded with them.
    8, CLB — will happily take Werenski
    9. SJS — Would also like a D, but could really use talent everywhere, Rantanen, who can play C too.
    10. COL — Desperate for D, Roy, but a bit high for this player here. They might risk Kylington here.

That’s a lot of good D off the board already. Fs are the value proposition now…

11. FLA — Crouse. Perfect fit. Meier a possibility.
    12. DAL– want D too but the best are gone… Konecny for their Russkie PF.
    14. BOS — think about Meier, Bittner, Kyle Connor but take Zboril. D with an edge.
    15. CAL — Brandon Carlo.
    16. EDM — have to take Meier unless they really like Chabot.

*I reserve the right to change my opinion on any prediction pending the release of Bobby Mac’s list lol.

13. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

spoiler,

I could see Carolina going for the first “reach” and taking Provorov over Strome. It depends how their management thinks and D seems a clear need for them over C at this time, coupled with the slide in Strome’s stock post-playoffs.

14. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

spoiler,

I just saw 13. LAK — trade the pick and Mike Richards to ARI for the 27th overall. Phoenix takes Zacha.

How did you arrive at this logic? Arizona doesn’t have the kind of finances to take on that type of contract.

15. square_wheels says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

Could anyone stomach that contract ? When’s the last time a forward has fallen so far, so fast.

16. hunter1909 says:

It’s just like when Yakupov was first drafted; Oilers had/still have a once in a lifetime window to attract Russian players to the frozen wastelands of Alberta.

It’s easy to speculate about Hall with McDavid, and RNH with Eberle; other than the fact Hall + Eberle just starred in Prague and our new coach might decide to get stubborn over keeping them together…similarly no one can predict Yakupov’s value until he’s played at least a full season without lockouts/Eakins etc.

Disraitl and Yakupov had good communication the few times I recall seeing them on the ice.

Anyone would think that Oilers have too many talented players.

17. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

As for the Russian thing, Tampa’s success this year + KHL/Russia’s sliding back into the dark ages should mean that there will be a run on Russian players in higher draft slots this year. At the very least, I expect the “free lunch” to be gone, and there’s an outside possibility the pendulum swings too far the other way (eg. Provorov may sneak into the top 5 ahead of Strome), as various smartest men in the room try to outsmart Yzerman.

18. hunter1909 says:

NYCOIL "Taking Photos": /Russia’s sliding back into the dark ages

There’s a pretty good case it’s the West that’s hurtling back into the Dark Ages.

19. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

hunter1909,

Maybe we all are? That said, I probably should be careful about opening up a political can of worms there so will leave it alone. Let’s just leave it at I was referring to their economy and the value of the ruble.

20. hunter1909 says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

More importantly, I discovered a bottle of brandy in my cupboard.

21. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

hunter1909:
    NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

More importantly, I discovered a bottle of brandy in my cupboard.

Excellent, drink up to celebrate not catching the plague.

22. spoiler says:

NYCOIL "Taking Photos",

Lol… well you gotta have a little fun with these exercises, don’t you? ARI will be struggling to make the floor for a few years… this solves that problem and they buy their way up the draft ladder. Say LA retains $1M per yr or so.

Definite possibility on CAR and Provorov but don’t know if they can pass on Strome. Dmen will be on demand though in the early going which was sort of the point of my mock..

That the best value for the Oil will be a F at 16 so trade the damn pick lol.

23. Optimism is Foolish says:

What do you think about Maxim Tretiak. Genetics definitely play a part in development of players and he might be worth a third or 4th round flyer. Goalies being voodoo and all but the bloodline is a good one.

24. Mr DeBakey says:

Yegor Rykov & Mihkail Vorobyov were both +6 at the U18.
    Way ahead of the pack.
    Rykov was pointless, though.

25. hunter1909 says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”: Excellent, drink up to celebrate not catching the plague.

I hope they have advanced stats for pandemics. Where the next one is most likely to come from, How many die horribly, How long it is expected to last(the Great Plague of 1665 lasted about a year and was written up in detail a generation later by Daniel Defoe), that kind of stuff.

26. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

hunter1909,

Well, I think we got a little sneak preview with Ebola this year and it wasn’t pretty. Would have to think it’s only a matter of time before some kind of super bug decimates a good chunk of humanity. Most of these things seem to originate “Out of Africa” but could also see the deforestation of the Amazon releasing super bugs hidden in that rainforest, too.

27. PeOiler says:

hunter1909,

Handwashing/60, WOWY’s for healthy and quarantined…

28. square_wheels says:

hunter1909,

they most certainly do, and with the recent trend of ignoring centuries of proven preventative measures we could face several again in the coming years.

Damn, I said earlier I was done with politics on my beloved hockey board.

Anyone else think the pumping of Stralman going to influence a Sekera contract ? Eek, let’s hope we don’t overpay….

29. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

square_wheels,

I don’t think that’s really a political statement so I think you are in the clear.

Stralman influencing Sekera’s money? Absolutely. He’s either going to take $5M per in LA if they get out from under Voynov’s deal or he’s going to get $6M per on the open market, I would think.

30. square_wheels says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

Climate change could be the trigger, historical weather changes have often precluded plagues. If you really want to terrify yourself just research the size of the Yellowstone super volcanoe and how often it lets go….were do.

Then there is comets…..

Can’t wait for Graham Hancock’s new book in September, I think it will present a fascinating hypothesis for the world changing drastically 12.5k yrs ago because of a large global comet event.

31. square_wheels says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

I have very good friends, completely reasonable and well educated folks who don’t vaccinate their kids because of Internet chat room science and Jenny fucking McCarthey. I love the internet but it should never replace public health measures. Public schools in Calgary are likely going to prevent staff from employment if they can’t produce up to date vaccinations….things are getting strange.

I’m hoping for the comet, in the absence of old age and positive thinking.

32. square_wheels says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

Slava’s deal will help but the Richards and Brown contracts, heck even the Gaborik are ugly enough to keep them from paying him 5M. Having said that, there has been zero reports on his injury, wonder if LA and his agent already have something worked out.

33. Halfwise says:

square_wheels:
    NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

Then there is comets…..

I’m enjoying the current interglacial period, which by the way is mighty long in the tooth. Natural cold weather plus a big volcano causing a global increase in atmospheric dust would starve most of the population right out of existence. We need to figure out how to stay warm for an extra century or two.

34. square_wheels says:

Halfwise,

I’ve got a great idea, let’s use natural gas !!!!!

Shameless plug for Alberta 🙂

35. Halfwise says:

square_wheels:
    Halfwise,

I’ve got a great idea, let’s use natural gas !!!!!

Shameless plug for Alberta

Gas is good! Not that helpful for lengthening a growing season, unfortunately, unless we’re talking gas-heated greenhouses.

36. Genjutsu says:

WTF is going on here guys we got us some McJesus coming and you’re talking end times?

. . . actually that would but so Oilers.

37. square_wheels says:

Genjutsu,

Hahahhaa yes that very thought has crossed my mind ! Until he’s playing and my three new 97 jerseys are here in Calgary, I still treating this first overall as some kind of cruel joke like The Game.

38. Ryan says:

square_wheels,

Andrew Wakefield says, “hello.”

I took the epic comp carbon out for only the second time this season. It was rough in the heat.

Well, that and being a little old, fat, and out of shape doesn’t help either.

39. Halfwise says:

Genjutsu:

. . . actually that would but so Oilers.

40. Samson Loveblast says:

NYCOIL "Taking Photos":

On the draft list, Dergachyov looks to be a ways ahead of where Bogdan was at the same age, could be a good choice for the second second rounder.

41. Genjutsu says:

Halfwise: It’s going to be easier to attract free agents when Alberta has the only functioning economy (well, other than Saskatchewan, but there’s no way the Blues move to ToonTown so it’s moo).

There is oil in Newfoundland too.

42. square_wheels says:

Ryan,

Nice work, I’ve been out quite a bit, although my back seems to think I’m an asshole for doing that.
    I have nearly 2 hrs of commuting a day so I’m getting miles in to prepare for 24hrs of Adreniln in Canmore this July.(Suffer-fest).

Wakefield…..don’t get me started.

43. Dashingsilverfox says:

Genjutsu: There is oil in Newfoundland too.

BC too…and lots of natural gas, coal and forests.

44. square_wheels says:

Dashingsilverfox,

And the worlds best mountain bike trails !

45. Halfwise says:

Genjutsu: There is oil in Newfoundland too.

No team to attract free agents though.

Dashingsilverfox: BC too…and lots of natural gas, coal and forests.

I should probably include the Stars and the Pennsylvania teams too, I suppose.

“We’re not completely dead!”

46. Dashingsilverfox says:

Halfwise: No team to attract free agents though.

I should probably include the Stars and the Pennsylvania teams too, I suppose.

“We’re not completely dead!”

Food and water are also important.

Alberta would run out of both pretty quickly.

47. Younger Oil says:

I’ve posted this before, but year are the WJC best defenceman award winners since 2005:

2005: Dion Phaneuf
    2006: Marc Staal
    2007: Erik Johnson
    2008: Drew Doughty
    2009: Erik Karlsson
    2010: Alex Pietrangelo
    2011: Ryan Ellis
    2012: Brandon Gormley
    2013: Jacob Trouba
    2014: Rasmus Ristolainen
    2015: Vladislav Gavrikov

All but one are currently a top 4 Dman on their respective teams (and Gormley could still get there), most are top 2. That pedigree alone is enough for me to take a flyer on Gavrikov.

Also a big fan of Dergachyov.

48. Halfwise says:

Dashingsilverfox: Food and water are also important.

Alberta would run out of both pretty quickly.

That was my original point — when the interglacial is over, most everyone gets to starve. I’m in no hurry, personally.

49. Chamucks says:

Dashingsilverfox,

As a waterwell guy I would have to disagree with you on the water part.

50. raventalon40 says:

Samson Loveblast: Bang on, the rest of the league will have noticed Bogdan in the AHL too which shows that Russians are willing to come over at a young age and learn the ropes before going into the NHL.

I always try to remind people that there are many republics and many minorities in Russia with different cultures and personalities. Yakupov and Yakimov are ethnic Tartars… they’re not even Russian. On top of that, who is to say that Russians themselves are all cut from the same cloth? There’s a truth that the KHL was an option for young European players, but don’t confuse Tartars for Russians as I’m sure they see each other as separate ethnic groups with a shared language. Pretty sure multiculturalism doesn’t work the same way there as it does in Canada.

Just my opinion.

51. frjohnk says:

A couple of posts ago, there was some talk of corsi and I wanted to chime in, but I didn’t have access to my laptop as all my data is there. So here goes.

The following is not directly looking at corsi, but rather shots, but its food for thought.

I went through all the games in regards to Oiler shots for in the high, medium and low danger shot locations. I broke it down against the Eastern Conference vs the Western Conference and Eakins vs Nelson. There is a bigger difference when comparing the conferences than comparing the coaches. Nelson started out slowly, but finished strong, you will see below. Nelsons games in the below stats are when he went solo.

Eastern Conference

Medium Danger shots per game
    Eakins 7.77
    Nelson 8.17

High Danger shots per game
    Eakins 7.94
    Nelson 7.87

In Nelsons first 25 games, the Oilers averaged 6.88 shots for from the high danger area. 47% of all shots were from the perimeter, while 20% were from the high danger area. The team definitely took a dip in getting shots on net from the high danger area right after Eakins firing when Nelson went solo.
    Eakins hangover? Notable guys hurt/missing? Learning a new system ?

Here is neat stat: If the oilers were to have had league average shooting percentage from the low, medium and high danger areas in those 25 games, they would have scored 50 goals. They scored 58. Nelson’s team shot well above league average shooting %, something Eakins could never sniff.

In the final stretch, Nelsons team averaged 9.6 shots from the high danger area per game. 38% of all shots were from the perimeter while 25% were from the high danger area. This is the same time that Eberle, RNH and Pouliot were dominant, and Yak was no longer yaking. Nelsons team hit double digits 6 times with high danger shot locations against the West and 4 against the East in those last 21 games.

I love the McLellan hiring, and I think Nelson was starting to get lift off with this team offensively . He just needed a goalie and a couple of Dman to put it all together. Hope he stays, but if not wish him all the best.

52. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

If this isn’t a sign that the end is near…

53. Richard S.S. says:

This is Connor McDavid’s Team. Those that fit well with him stay. Those that don’t are gone. The next two years could change this Team severely, or possibly little. That’s why making plans for the future could be counter-productive. We don’t know what is truly needed, and I can’t see the situation resolving any sooner..

Drafting is simple, take Centers, Defenseman and an occasional Goalie and leave everything else to others. Of course, as long as they take the very best available, the Draft will go well, because they need to stay continuously deep at all positions. And to keep options open, draft a Russian every year. Some will think more of trying for an NHL career than staying in Russia. From that pool you don’t need more than the occasional success to encourage more Russians.

Until the Canadian Dollar re-establishes itself as a strong currency the NHL Cap is unlikely to grow much more than $1.0 Million a year. The actual value of the TV deals won’t impact the Cap as much as anyone thinks, because local earnings for some Teams are slimmer to nonexistent, much less than was expected/projected.

Anything bad happening has precursors that announce changes that start bad happenings. Those precursors have their own triggers that start things moving. There are a series of warning signs that enact those triggers. And there are occurrences that start the whole process going.
    1) The Alberta Oil market has basically bottomed out, at a time no one is driving less and alternative fuels/energies have yet to make a difference.
    2) The Ebola Crises is exactly that, and should not have gotten as strong a foothold on this continent as it did. Ask yourself, is it gone or is it dormant?
    There are other issues that could go here, but we’re not in that deep, just yet.

54. Richard S.S. says:

Vancouver has G Jacob Markstrom and RHD Jannik Weber. They have the 23rd pick and the 114th picks as their two lowest, and are looking to add more. The G. and RHD. might be acquired for just draft picks. Is their any market for them as future Oilers?

55. OF17 says:

Richard S.S.:
    Vancouver has G Jacob Markstrom and RHD Jannik Weber.They have the 23rd pick and the 114th picks as their two lowest, and are looking to add more.The G. and RHD. might be acquired for just draft picks.Is their any market for them as future Oilers?

Only interested in Markstrom if Scrivens is dealt and only interested in Weber if Schultz is dealt. Can’t see both of those things happening, but stranger things have happened.

56. Samson Loveblast says:

raventalon40,

Thanks. It certainly is true that you learn something new everyday.

57. Marc says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:
    spoiler,

I can’t see Strome getting past AZ/TOR, regardless of how he looked in the playoffs.

Bergevin’s comments about Galchenyuk will only have strengthened the believe of GMs that you need a big first line center to win, and that the only way you can get these guys is to draft them.

There are three guys in the draft that project to be top line centers, and I think all three go in the top four picks.

58. Marc says:

spoiler:
    NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

That the best value for the Oil will be a F at 16 so trade the damn pick lol.

Richards plus a sweetener to AZ makes a lot of sense

59. thejonrmcleod says:

Dashingsilverfox: BC too…and lots of natural gas, coal and forests.

Don’t forget lots of hot air. 🙂

60. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

thejonrmcleod,

A Monday morning laugh. Might be a first for me.

61. GCW_69 says:

“By any measure, Bogdan Yakimov is tracking very well for a third-round selection. ”

Pretty sure “games played” as a measure would not show well. Those injuries cost him valuable developmental time.

Something to watch for next year. An anomaly, or the start of a trend?

62. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Marc: AZ will have to spend $18M-$19M this off season just to get cap floor, and two of their top three centers are Gagner and Arcobello.

Richards plus a sweetener to AZ makes a lot of sense

63. Marc says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”: Why? They could just get a player with a higher cap hit than actual salary. Arizona has much bigger fish to fry, which is the whole issue of not losing a certain amount of money or losing the franchise.

Richards isn’t worth his cap hit anymore, and there are a couple of much better centers on the Kings, but he’s not a bad hockey player. He’d be no worse than the second best center in AZ.

If we can learn anything from the Oilers’ rebuild it’s that a rebuilding team needs vets to take some of the burden off the developing young talent. Richards is as good of option to do that as anyone they’d be able to get in free agency.

64. sumaclab says:

Arizona has a clock ticking. The City wants to get out of its 15 m dollar a year subsidy to the Yotes.I’ll be shocked if this scenario does not play out. Las Vegas granted franchise for start of 2016 season.Arizona moves to Quebec City.New arena open 2016 season.

The Yotes are still bleeding red. The league would benefit more from a team in QC. The TV contract alone would be worth the move.

65. Genjutsu says:

If we are talking water every where in Canada looks fine. With Québec and Ontario leading the way.

Economically as a nation we are in fine shape long term when you consider the embarrassment of resources we have.

S’good y’all.

Really.

The sky is staying put.

66. wheatnoil says:

They might be a team that could benefit from the ability of a rich team to retain salary without retaining cap hit (teams can do that right?). Toronto, Philly, Van, Boston, even Edmonton can help them hit the cap floor while still not losing money. Maybe Nikitin at a $2.25 paid salary with a $4.5M cap hit? (I know, I’m dreaming)

67. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Marc,

So they’d be looking at Horcoff-type contracts, for example. $5.5M cap hit but $2M in actual salary. They have to try to stem the bleeding. Bettman just doesn’t see rationally with that team and doesn’t seem to want to admit defeat.

I could be wrong, of course, but I can’t see them taking on that kind of contract at this time.

68. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Genjutsu,

Except a certain PM signed away Canada’s fresh water in NAFTA. But I don’t want to open up politics. So Canada is better than most when it comes to fresh water, but not as well off as you think, potentially.

69. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

Are there many front loaded contracts left like that for players not wanted and somewhat useful? Another issue with Richards is Maloney doesn’t seem to have a high tolerance for the Holly wood lifestyle.

70. Genjutsu says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:
    Genjutsu,

That’s a fact.

71. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Genjutsu: Access is the key to that I think. But yeah if you’ve seen water levels on the great lakes in recent years it’s kind of appalling. Still we are in better shape than every other nation on planet earth.

That’s a fact.

That’s debatable. Not that it matters, really. Bottom line Canada will be fine on that front. That said, and I don’t like to quote the World Bank even though my cousin works there, but they have some interesting results in terms of fresh water per capita. Canada is in the Top Ten, but Iceland tops the list. Also, I do wonder if this is accounting for the fact that under NAFTA there is potential for (Canada H2O + US H2O + Mexico H2O) divided by (Canada pop. + US pop + Mexico pop) to occur.

Anyhow, I apologize for the tangent. It’s not politics, but Earth-related stuff can stir up emotions, too, so I will leave it at this and not rebut further after you post any rebuttal you care to below. Back to the Roy thread! 🙂