OFF THE RAILS ON A CRAZY TRAIN

The dictionary definition of procurement is simple: The action of obtaining something. In sports, it’s miles more complicated and in hockey, failure in procurement is part of reality. For that reason, NHL teams draft and sign an entire second team (AHL) and more in an effort to cover off every possible disaster. Procurement is tied to development, and development is tied to time. It happens just this way.

MAKING GOOD BETS

The Edmonton Oilers made some good bets today and this is the kind of thing we should applaud and hope for more of from the Chiarelli era. Here’s the list:

• Signed L Anton Slepyshev to an entry-level deal. Music! 21, probably the most talented skill winger in the system at this time and posted a solid KHL season. It was important for Edmonton to strike now with a contract, sometimes even promising prospects lose traction due to lack of playing time in their home leagues (although Slepyshev appears to have overcome the issue). The sweet spot in the batting order for next season is scoring winger at Bakersfield, but if he comes to camp and tears the leather off the ball there could be a job there. I don’t think Leon, Matt Fraser or Iiro Pakarinen have a stranglehold on 3L entering camp.
  • Bakersfield signs C Connor Rankin. This falls into the Josh Winquist/Mitch Holmberg category of making good bets without using the 50-man list to do it. I had him just below Jackson Houck in the 2013 draft. Cody Nickolet: It’s been an interesting WHL career for Rankin. He started off with great production as a rookie (44 points in 70 games), slid a bit in his second year, bounced back again in year three before stagnating again last year. That up and down progression has probably scared off a few teams throughout his stint in the league, but he might be the kind of guy that can carve out a professional role over the next couple of years due to his well-rounded skillset. Source
  • Bakersfield signs L Braden Christoffer. Guy Flaming tells me he’s a hard worker and a blue collar type. 5.10, 185 and 147 pims, he also scored 26 goals so has some skill. Most of the videos available involve fighting, although he’s not a heavyweight.
  • Bakersfield signs G Ty Rimmer. The organization knows him, he had some good outings and he’s very likely headed to the ECHL (Norfolk) to play there while also offering insurance for the AHL club. Never say never, he outperformed some drafted guys in the system since signing on in the Oilers organization (outside the 50-man).

THAT CRAZY TRADE KEEPS ON ROLLING

Remember the trades down that kept gathering the Oilers draft picks? I looked at things in January and things were trending well for Edmonton. Now that the season is done, Slepyshev is signed and Roy may not be, how do things look?

• First trade: Edmonton trades 37th overall (Valentin Zykov) to Los Angeles for 57th overall (William Carrier), 88th overall (Anton Slephyshev) and 96th overall (Kyle Platzer).
  • Second trade: Oilers trade 57th overall (William Carrier) to St. Louis for 83rd overall (Bogdan Yakimov), 94th overall (Jackson Houck) and 113th overall (Aidain Muir).

crazy tradeEven though Edmonton is about to walk Jackson Houck, they’re winning this trade. Platzer, Slepyshev and Yakimov alone for Zykov offers enormous value. That’s procurement. Well done.

Now do it again.

54 Responses to "OFF THE RAILS ON A CRAZY TRAIN"

1. Cobbler says:

That almost looks like depth starting to form. I really like this signing and it is timely given his age and years since the draft.
    A feature role in Bakersfield will do him well. Let’s see how he adjusts and how he plays with Yakimov or Leon

2. Mr DeBakey says:

So you’re saying the Oilers gave up on GM MacT too soon?

Man i wanted them to take Dauphin with that pick.

3. Cobbler says:

LT, do you think he has the chops to gather 1ppg in the AHL given some pp time?

4. theres oil in virginia says:

Now do it again.

Thankfully, the guy who pulled that off is still around. Hopefully, the guy who is now his boss recognizes what he did well (versus what he did not do well), and confines him to that area (or is it a volume?). After reading your post the other day on the new guy’s draft record, I’ll add that hopefully the new guy recognizes that this is perhaps an area (or volume?) in which he should be confined from (can you confine from, or only to?).

5. raventalon40 says:

Mr DeBakey:
    So you’re saying the Oilers gave up on GM MacT too soon?

Man i wanted them to take Dauphin with that pick.

I think back to that draft and I remember MacT saying there was someone in the organization with the crazy mathematical formula to building depth. Not in those exact words, obviously, but still.

6. Melman says:

It’ll be interesting to see if he stays on LW next year (as a righty) or if they move him over.

7. Halfwise says:

theres oil in virginia: Thankfully, the guy who pulled that off is still around.Hopefully, the guy who is now his boss recognizes what he did well (versus what he did not do well), and confines him to that area (or is it a volume?).After reading your post the other day on the new guy’s draft record, I’ll add that hopefully the new guy recognizes that this is perhaps an area (or volume?) in which he should be confined from (can you confine from, or only to?).

Good thoughts!

I’ll make a grammar and vocabulary offer here even though your questions were tongue in cheek.

The distinction of area vs volume requires you to impose your will as to whether we are dealing with two dimensions or three. So why not say “space” and let the reader apply as many dimensions as he sees fit? Hell, there could be four, maybe five.

Also, “confined to” or “excluded from”.

While I’m being weird about this stuff, have you ever considered that one can lose the reins or loose the reins, and even loose the rain if you are a deity specializing in weather. (I’m not sure how to lose the rain but perhaps one of the less gifted weather gods has done so, back in the day). Technically, I suppose monarchs could lose their reigns.

The “loose/lose” and “rein/reign” confusions are the small abuses of English that make us old guys cranky, after we’ve scared the kids off the lawn once and for all and are looking for something new to get cranky over.

Now, back to the pre-dinner cider.

8. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

MacT is a gambler and that bet paid. I’m not sure that trading down is smart unless there is untapped talent. Maybe he saw potential or maybe he gambled he could get them here because likely everyone saw the skill.

Melman:

I hope he stays LH side, because EDM has three lefties as their top skill C’s. I like that half board spot for him with the C LH side.

10. Halfwise says:

To the actual topic, it’s great to see the Oilers take the next step with Slepyshev. Thinking about what Yzerman has done with his European procurement, once he had two Russians on the big squad, his team would be more attractive for a third one and a fourth one as free agents.

Oilers are nearing critical mass for Russian players, no?

11. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

Halfwise: Oilers are nearing critical mass for Russian players, no?

N(ot)yet.

12. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

Love the Slepy signing, and it’s great to hear that a player wants to come over and get started on a NA career. The McD factor at play already? The New Todd, Chelli and Bob don’t hurt either.

YakM/Slepy/Drai sounds like an interesting Condor line, depending on Sleps playing the right side.

Side question: Are ‘off-wing’ wingers (there must be a more elegant way of saying that) more or less common in the modern NHL? Don’t a lot of systems require the on-wing handed shot, at the half boards?

13. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

DeBoer in San Jose likely means the Oilers should be calling in January about some of their young guys that see no ice time. I like it.

14. square_wheels says:

Lowetide
    I’m starting a vote on next years RE series being a Sabbath inspired manifesto. Damn, did they kick a giant hole in music, blah blah Stones and Beatles, for me it’s always been the Clash and Sabbath.

I’ve always thought it would be fun to shadow the RE Series with our own music, as you argue with yourself we all choose our own group/artist and as you publish each player we describe why the song means something to us as well.

Love this place, keeps me sane wirh all this chaos going on in Alberta these days. It’s pretty grim out there for many , and isn’t going to turn around soon but talking hockey with like minded folks is therapeutic.

Thank you.

Edit- the Re series music blurs together, so if you used Sabbath already I blame it on being concussed one too many times.

15. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

square_wheels,

‘blahblah Beatles’?

Get off my lawn!

16. Shafty19 says:

Love what MacT did at that draft.

Now I’m by no means a football fan (I just had to Google “Tom Brady Coach” to remind myself who Bill Belichik is) but what MacT did at that draft is reminiscent of what Belichik has done over and over again at the NFL drafts while he’s been with the Patriots. I only know this because of a very interesting Grantland article from January.

Basically, he makes two kinds of trades. Trading a pick for one that’s guaranteed to be better later, or by trading down for several picks. Obviously this is an example of the latter, but if you look at his record it’s pretty amazing – even I recognize some of those names.

If the Oilers can be half as successful as the Patriots have been by using these strategies, it would go a long way to getting and maintaining depth in the years when McDavid, Hall, etc. are getting serious money.

The Grantland article is here:

17. cc says:

Rip Fan Winkle “OilOnslaught”,

I think dealing down in the 1st round can lead to a big mistake, but dealing a 2nd round pick for a couple of later picks. I would do that every (draft) day. This was MacT’s best moment as a GM.

According to Cullen’s draft chart there’s little to no advantage to drafting early in the 2nd or later.

31 – 40 – 34% (Drafted player to play 100 NHL Games)
    41 – 45 – 41%
    46 – 50 – 32%
    51 – 55 – 33%
    56 – 60 – 29%
    61 – 70 – 37.5%

18. square_wheels says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1),

I love the Beatles, they’re the base layer. Clash and Sabbath took us in new directions, no different then Cobain. Genre’s were formed in the 70’s that have lead to the mosaic we have now.

The fact a guys finger tips got lobbed off in a sheet metal shop, that then forced him to learn to play left handed, that resulted in these deep heavy riffs still copied today….the story is so amazing.

19. square_wheels says:

Duncan Keith runs a PP like guy with a badmotherfucker wallet.

20. Tire Fire says:

I was just sitting here thinking that I couldn’t believe how good Kane is when I realized that McDavid is generally ranked higher.

Woooooooooooot!

21. square_wheels says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1),

Seems like I’ve become the DSF of music tonight, where’s Ricki to distract.

The Beatles have a great lawn, but my point was not that they are inferior only that they’ve been analyzed to death. Sabbath built a genre and a fucking awesome one.

Don’t make me round up your lawn with a giant penis shape over this.

If Chia wants to keep MacT around, keep him involved in amateur scouting and keep him away from:

1) Pro Dman scouting
    2) Pro G scouting
    3) Microphones

The rest is fine.

23. square_wheels says:

Woodguy,

Spot on.

24. Younger Oil says:

Woodguy:

1) Pro Dman scouting
    2) Pro G scouting
    3) Microphones

The rest is fine.

This. A thousand times this. Man, if MacT gets involved with amateur scouting, fire whoever keeps suggesting BCHLers, and if they can draft like 2013 every year, this team will be set for a long, long time IMO.

Hated MacT on the pro level, but he was the best we’ve had in a long, long time at the draft table (largely due to Stu and the rest of the scouting staff), but I strongly believe MacT played a fairly large role in that.

25. square_wheels says:

Does Keith ever come off the ice ? I recall something about his VO2 max being off the charts when they tested them pre-van Olympics. No question who drives the Hawks bus, their neutral zone attack starts with his lazer passes.

26. steveb12344 says:

Can anyone explain how Quebec and Rimouskie end up tied, while Que has 3 pts, and Kelowna and Rim. have only 2 pts. Do they only count goal diff?

27. TheGreatMutato says:

square_wheels:
    Does Keith ever come off the ice ?

Oh, you must be talking about Canadian defender ‘Chicago’ Duncan China. He has many years of playing at a high level.

28. Магия 10 says:

steveb12344:
    Can anyone explain how Quebec and Rimouskie end up tied, while Que has 3 pts, and Kelowna and Rim. have only 2 pts.Do they only count goal diff?

Thought they were both 1w-2l

29. Ryan says:

Woodguy,

I think you forgot…Signing RFA’s.

30. LadiesloveSmid says:

I really have the falling in love with prospects problem that you talked about in yesterday’s podcast LT, but I am optimistic about Slepyshev.

Pronman had him ranked 17th in 2012

and 45th in 2013

He just finished his draft+3 season and had, what I find to be, strong KHL numbers for a 20YO. I could see a similar season to Pakarinen’s this year, and maybe even more offence. I think an NHL stint could very well happen.

2013 draft looks fantastic IMO. Too bad the 2012 and (early) 2014 look like duds.

31. LadiesloveSmid says:

and I mean Ricki loves him so he’s gotta be good 😉

32. wheatnoil says:

Ryan:
    Woodguy,

I think you forgot…Signing RFA’s.

Covered under pro defensemen. He didn’t do poorly with signing Lander (twice), Arcobello, and Yakupov.

33. Younger Oil says:

It just occurs to me, Montreal picking Fucale might be one of the best things to happen to the OIlers outside of the first round of the draft in the past decade.

34. pts2pndr says:

Woodguy
    You are now ready for standup re hockey management how’s your Eakins material for coaching. The truth sets you free! Truth be known I think he trusted some self proclaimed authorities! Tnx for the giggle!

35. Ice Sage says:

Oilers Russian scouting lately has been unBelovable

36. Halfwise says:

Younger Oil:

37. Halfwise says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1): N(ot)yet.

Da, well played Comrade Boldova.

38. wheatnoil says:

Halfwise: Good point. When Fucale’s name was called the Oilers jumped to Plan B in a big way, and it turned out to be more promising than Plan A.

Though I agree, there is one counterpoint. If the Oilers draft Fucale in 2013, maybe they don’t draft any goalies in 2014 instead of two.

Still, Plan B is showing much better than Plan A two years out.

39. rickithebear says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    and I mean Ricki loves him so he’s gotta be good

Peer results as a measure.

When he is one of 10 players to achieve an elite goal scoring rate in 17 years.
    Getting goal scoring results like them is the norm.
    Especially when the last 2 fit :
    Find Space.
    Target open holes.

When Conner Mcdavid performs in an similarly rare elite fashion.
    I do not see people saying. He might work out.

40. Woogie63 says:

Магия 10,

One loss was in OT?

41. rickithebear says:

Christ!
    The player who trends like Kovalchuck; Malkin; Tarasenko we should be cautious about.

The large flames prospect at men cup who trends like gazdic is to be desired.

Age 18;19 NHLE says:
    Smith 7 EVG 12 EVA
    Gazdic 7 EVG 6 EVA

42. Woogie63 says:

Bakersfield as a first rate development team, could start the year with a prospect filled line up

Slepyshev-Draisaitl-Pakarinen
    Morez-Yakimov-Chase
    C.Hamilton-Khaira-Miller
    R. Hamilton-Roy-Platzer

Nurse-Oesterle
    Simpson-Musil
    Davidson-Laleggia

Brossoit
    Laurikainen

That would be 14 Oiler drafted player and 10ish legit NHL prospects…..

43. Магия 10 says:

Woogie63:
    Магия 10,

One loss was in OT?

No bettman points In that tournament. All wins are 2. All losses are 0.

44. spoiler says:

From the verbal, our Sleeper agent strikes me as being a focused, determined, tenacious bugger.

These qualities will help him make the bigs as much as his skating and his mitts.

First things first.. and that’s to play a season with a lot of TOI and a lot of games, In N.A. Is even better.

45. PhrankLee says:

I like the development of this prospect. He was used very sparingly at the beginning of the season and his TOI was lower than I hoped for.

Second half of the season he appears to have earned a considerable increase in ice-time.

Good flags, imo.

46. raventalon40 says:

Tire Fire:

Woooooooooooot!

I was watching the game and thinking that myself. But we gotta temper expectations! Dude’s 18!

47. G Money says:

I think entomologists and Godot might enjoy this one, about a newly discovered wasp that turns its prey into ‘passive zombies’:

48. Really? says:

Off the thread but as I was watching the Ducks/Hawks game I was amazed at how selfish a player Kesler is. The puck dies on his stick very frequently, he seldom if ever passes to a winger and most of his shots on goal are muffins from beyond the face off circles.

To add to this, he takes a very selfish and foolish penalty by tripping the Hawk goalie in his crease while he is doing a fly by. He may be decent in the face off circle and as a checker but the other arrows are down.

49. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

square_wheels: Don’t make me round up your lawn with a giant penis shape over this.

Actually, a dose of roundup on my dandelion crop would be welcomed. To ruin a lawn, I believe you pour some really strong fertilizer on it.

I love Sabbath, despite all their musical shortcomings, and Ozzy’s lyrics still don’t get enough credit, in my opinion.

50. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

LT, when did you start writing for flamesnation?

51. knighttown says:

G Money:

See, I know “all of God’s creatures” and all of that but I’m really not that upset about the extinction of the clearly sinister Zombie-wasp. WWE is going to need to really ramp up its propaganda if people are going to start funding that over koala bears.

52. Captain Smarmy says:

knighttown: See, I know “all of God’s creatures” and all of that but I’m really not that upset about the extinction of the clearly sinister Zombie-wasp.WWE is going to need to really ramp up its propaganda if people are going to start funding that over koala bears.

So what I’m saying is kiss a wasp today.

53. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Captain Smarmy: Wasps are awful but one of the big challenges of WWF is getting people to give money to help save insects and plants that are lower on the food chain and therefore more valuable to the ecosystem then say a Koala.

So what I’m saying is kiss a wasp today.

It’s always interesting to watch groups like the WWF struggle with this (I’m not pro or anti WWF, just a passive observer).

I always come back to the opposition to the seal hunt. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, but the marketing of the cause, and the support base, is largely grounded on the fact that baby seals are adorable. They aren’t inherently more worthy of our love than any other creature, but they’ve got big sad eyes. If you took some of those heart wrenching video pieces and replaced the baby seals with lobsters I suspect very few people would care about the cause.