UFA TO EDMONTON (7931K)

A few years ago I interviewed former Oilers player Mark Napier and he told me the most attractive thing about the Oilers of his era: Winning. He loved it here, loved the winning and loved the big-league feel of the organization. If the Edmonton Oilers start winning hockey games, courtesy a combination of the Hall cluster and the McDavid cluster, players are going to want to come here for one big reason: Winning.

• Darren Dreger: “The Edmonton Oilers will be a very attractive organization for many family guys in the future because of everything that has gone on and will go into this new facility and the build that they have there. It is going to be structured to cater to every need of the family. Mrs. Hockey Player drops the kids off at the arena – they are looked after from start to finish. With mini stick rinks and (laughs) all kinds of support help.” Source

I’m sure that will be a nice perk for players and their families. Free agents will come here to be part of a winner. That’s the fuel.

Slepyshev makes six signed prospects from the 2013 draft—a solid total but still trailing 2010 and 2011. Here’s the run over the last few years:

• 2008 (5) Jordan Eberle; Johan Motin; Phil Cornet; Teemu Hartikainen; Jordan Bendfeld (Total NHL games: 411)
  • 2009 (5) Magnus Paajarvi, Anton Lander, Cameron Abney, Toni Rajala, Olivier Roy (Total NHL games: 360)
  • 2010 (8) Taylor Hall, Tyler Pitlick, Martin Marincin, Curtis Hamilton, Ryan Martindale, Tyler Bunz, Brandon Davidson, Kristians Pelss (Total NHL games: 425)
  • 2011 (7) Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Oscar Klefbom, David Musil, Travis Ewanyk, Dillon Simpson, Martin Gernat, Frans Tuohimaa (Total NHL games: 339) (Also drafted but did not sign Tobias Rieder)
  • 2012 (4) Nail Yakupov, Mitchell Moroz, Jujhar Khaira, Joey Laleggia (Total NHL games: 192)
  • 2013 (6) Darnell Nurse, Bogdan Yakimov, Anton Slepyshev, Kyle Platzer, Ben Betker, Greg Chase (Total NHL games: 3)
  • 2014 (1) Leon Draisaitl (Total NHL games: 37)

2011 appears to have the best chance of giving Edmonton a quality 1-2 punch (Nuge, Klefbom) but it would be fantastic to see Nurse and the two Russians make the grade. It sound less and less likely Marco Roy is signed, Matty has the latest. Source

CURRENT 50-MAN FOR 2015-16

1. G Ben Scrivens (suspect he’ll return in a backup role)
  2. G Laurent Brossoit (AHL starter and plenty of opportunity to move up)
  3. G Eetu Laurikainen (new hire)
  4. D Nikita Nikitin (No. 1 candidate for buy out to my eye)
  5. D Mark Fayne (One of the few names the new coach can count on)
  6. D Andrew Ference (5-6-7D likely role for coming season)
  7. D Oscar Klefbom (I think McLellan may play him in lesser role, that would be ideal)
  8. D Jordan Oesterle (Oilweb had a feature on him training hard this summer. Oil love that stuff)
  9. D Dillon Simpson (It’ll be fun to see how much he improves in year two)
  10. D Martin Gernat (I don’t know if Chiarelli knows him, forgotten man)
  11. D David Musil (Chiarelli employed Adam McQuaid. Musil will be fine)
  12. D Darnell Nurse (I don’t see a way to keep him off the big club in 15-16)
  13. D Ben Betker (May need to spend some time in the ECHL if it gets crowded)
  14. D Joey Laleggia (Can learn plenty from Hunt and Oesterle in Bakersfield)
  15. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (All this fuss and Nuge just waiting to be brilliant)
  16. C Anton Lander (Important player for 15-16)
  17. C Boyd Gordon (veteran could be trade bait by deadline if things break right)
  18. C Leon Draisaitl (Man amongst boys in Memorial Cup)
  19. C Bogdan Yakimov (Shoulder aside, strong season)
  20. C Jujhar Khaira (Solid checker, offense may keep him from NHL career)
  21. C Travis Ewanyk (Not enough offense, we knew it draft day)
  22. C Kyle Platzer (newly signed) (Suspect he’ll play in Bakersfield next season)
  23. L Taylor Hall (Fantastic WHC’s saved a poor season by his standards)
  24. L Benoit Pouliot (A rugged winger with skill, brilliant hire by MacT)
  25. L Matt Hendricks (Had a wonderful year, can he do it again?)
  26. L Luke Gazdic (His roster spot could be vulnerable)
  27. L Ryan Hamilton (he’ll be the veteran hand in the  minors helping to guide the kids)
  28. L Anton Slepyshev (I ranked him No. 8 in my latest top 20)
  29. L Mitch Moroz (Will need to spike in a lot of areas next year)
  30. L Kale Kessy (He looked like he’d taken a step forward before injury)
  31. R Jordan Eberle (Fun watching him score at the WHC’s)
  32. R Nail Yakupov  (I have absolutely no idea how this will go)
  33. R Teddy Purcell (I think he’ll be back, speed only real issue)
  34. R Rob Klinkhammer (Signed for next season, may have competition for his job)
  35. R Iiro Pakarinen (I think he is going to make the team and have an impact)
  36. R Greg Chase (I’m still bewildered by his draft number)

PLAYERS WHO COULD STILL BE SIGNED

1. C Derek Roy (UFA, suspect his signing window closed with Chiarelli’s arrival, but could be wrong)
  2. R John McCarron (No indication either way)
  3. L Daniil Zharkov (no idea about his signing restrictions but team does own his rights. Doubt he is signed)
  4. C Marco Roy (Looks highly unlikely)
  5. R Jackson Houck (Back draft)

RFA’S

1. D Justin Schultz (one of the first major tests for Chiarelli. Trade or one-year with a cut in pay and TOI ideal)
  2. D Martin Marincin (management put little value on him before Chiarelli and McLellan. Does that change?)
  3. R Andrew Miller (Impressive season probably gets him another contract)
  4. D Brad Hunt (Dynamic AHL player, may mentor Laleggia next season)
  5. D Brandon Davidson (The one AHL guy I’m certain they’ll sign)
  6. R Tyler Pitlick (Do the Oilers bring him back again? It’s going to be close)
  7. L Matt Fraser (I think the need for speed probably seals his fate. Slepy signing could impact decision here)
  8. D Keith Aulie (Oilers may want to sign him, suspect the team will ponder him as a 7D)
  9. L Curtis Hamilton (The Slepyshev signing puts him 3L in AHL, meaning No. 8 on LW depth chart. Think he’s gone)
  10. C Kellen Lain (He’s bloody huge. Unlikely to sign)
  11. G Tyler Bunz (Oil will upgrade, leave Bunz behind)
  12. G Frans Tuohimaa (Already gone)

SLEPYSHEV’S FIRST NA SEASON

• Boxcars: 58GP, 15-10-25 in regular season
  • Breakdown: 14 goals at even strength, one on the power play
  • SOG: 129 (11.6 shooting percentage, 2.22 shots-per-game)
  • TOI/game: 12:25
  • Points-per-60: 2.08
  • NHLE (Regular season): 82GP, 17-11-28

I think he could push for an NHL job (seriously) based on his experience and his offensive ability. He’s fast enough to keep up, skilled enough to keep the play alive when he joins the play and big enough (6.02, 194) to be able to negotiate the rapids. I’ll guess he shows well in training camp, has a quality season in Bakersfield (20 goal seems a reasonable bar) and even grabs a cup of coffee in the show.

hawn1

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A fun show today with terrific guests. 10 this morning, TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey. Slepyshev, Draisaitl and Chiarelli’s summer.
  • Nathan Dempsey, Campus Director at Vimy Hockey. We’ll talk playoff pain and being a prospect in an NHL organization.
  • Travis Yost, TSN. No matter what I say we’re going to talk about, Yost and I inevitably end up figuring out a way for the Oilers and Senators to make trades. It’s a strange obsession but I enjoy it. We’ll sprinkle in reality as needed.
  • Andrew Bucholtz, 55-yard line. We’ll talk Michael Sam and risers and fallers over the offseason.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Great day ahead!

75 Responses to "UFA TO EDMONTON (7931K)"

1. SwedishPoster says:

In the google translation shared in the other thread it sounded like Oilers other russians had provided positive reviews about the Oiler experience to convince Slepy. Why do they have to be so selfish and enigmatic all the time?

Slepyshev will also train traditionally with his dad. Google translate is great. I get a Rocky in Russia picture in my head where Slepy runs around with big logs on his shoulders to the sound of 80s music.

2. Bar_Qu says:

SwedishPoster,

I’m sure traditional Russian training also includes bear wrestling too, right?

Its unfortunate that it will be summer, because carrying logs on his shoulders really feels like it should be done bare-chested in the snow. Maybe he can still find some further north?

3. Pajamah says:

SwedishPoster:

Hopefully he can safely defect, or else its off to Siberia.

4. judgedrude says:

Interesting that Bachman isn’t on the list as even a likely to move on. But I ask, if Scrivs is upgraded to a bonafide (60+ games), expensive starter, has Bachman earned a 1-way low cap deal to be an NHL backup for a year? If he falters, you could throw some games at Brossoit.

5. Ducey says:

Good news on Slepy.

The thing that I like about him is that in addition to having some skill, he is a good checker and seems to have some jam. I think he is going to surprise a lot of people. Of the three Russians, he might wind up being the one that sticks with the Oilers in their renaissance.

6. Ducey says:

Pajamah: Pretty sure the Russians use steroids and cold, sterile training facilities built to optimize human performance.

Hopefully he can safely defect, or else its off to Siberia.

I heard that when lining up at the faceoff he tells his opponents “I must break you.” And I predict that after they win the Cup, he says “I win for me! For me!”.

7. Really? says:

Pleased to see that the Oilers have been able to sign another asset. Based on the somewhat sketchy knowledge we have on this player, it would appear he has a reasonable tool kit. What intrigues me is that he appears to be a +skater with decent size and hands. That immediately places him ahead of a number of Oiler prospects.

8. raventalon40 says:

SwedishPoster:

Hopefully he can safely defect, or else its off to Siberia.

I feel the nostalgia as my Hearts on Fire from all these Rocky references.

9. dustrock says:

No pressure Roy, but you probably need to have the game of your life at the Memorial Cup tonight if you don’t want to re-enter the draft.

10. SwedishPoster says:

Bar_Qu:
    SwedishPoster,

I’m sure traditional Russian training also includes bear wrestling too, right?

Russia is always covered in snow. Always. Even the most southern parts. There is no summer. At least in the Rocky makes a comment on the Cold War-reference world.

11. SwedishPoster says:

Ducey: I heard that when lining up at the faceoff he tells his opponents “I must break you.”And I predict that after they win the Cup, he says “I win for me! For me!”.

I could see this. Though if anyone was to play Drago in a remake use only current Oilers it would be Leon with his five man shoulder width and Dolph Lundgren-jaw.

12. Pajamah says:

raventalon40,

Some would say the kid has the Eye of the Tiger.

13. knighttown says:

This is why drafting and developing are two completely different things.

Slepeshev is precisely the type of player you need to use extreme patience with. He’s got size, hands and blazing speed however his game is prototypically Russian (yeah, yeah). Tons of East-West and circling back to create speed. Similar in style to Semin (without the dangles or insane shot) or more recently Kuznetsov.

He needs to spend a season in Bakersfield learning the north-south game of a North American winger. Giving up the puck to get it back in a better spot, cycling and fighting to get to the net. And that’s just on the offensive side of the puck.

The thing is, with his size, skill and speed he absolutely is worth the investment in development. He could play on a scoring line of this team for long time.

14. Hammers says:

If there is a chance of a Russian prospect jumping straight to the NHL it has to be Slepyshev . Gut Feel and would allow Oil to concentrate both money and time on the goalie and “D” . Good Signing .

15. rickithebear says:

Pajamah: shoulders to the sound of 80s music.

In the Soviet Sports review there wasa series of articles under the premis of how to recognize steroid use. Wink wink.

it listed a complete amino; Steroid; food; training cycle program . the partnered with expected tracked periods of natural growth cycle.
    Major emphasis on amino; vitamin and food till the natural growth cycles had completed and then the introductiion of assited growth development.

it was written by “20th centuries greatest sportsman.”

I was able to Balance the need for Distance running; Sprint Speed; Brute strength explosion.

Slepyshev!

we have the last 3 elite junior goal scorers from Russia under contract.
    Yakupov 2 yr @ 2.5M
    Yakimov 2yr @ .923M
    Slepyshev 3yr @ ????

16. G Money says:

rickithebear: My training was largely structured under this mans translation and development of theories in the Soviet Sports Review.

Michael Yessis! Man, I haven’t heard that name since my younger days as a bodybuilder.

17. G Money says:

I just came across this info about the giant “Leonberger” dog.

Appearance
    This Mountain dog comes with a generous double coat; the Leonberger is a large, muscular, and elegant dog with balanced body type, medium temperament, and dramatic presence. The head is adorned with a striking black mask, and projects the breed’s distinct expression of intelligence, pride, and kindliness. Remaining true to their early roots as a capable family and working dog and search and rescue dog (particularly water), the surprisingly agile Leonberger is sound and coordinated, with both strength in bearing and elegance in movement. A dimorphic breed, the Leonberger possesses either a strongly masculine or elegantly feminine form, making gender immediately discernible.[1]:5 When properly trained and socialized, the Leonberger is vigilant, loyal, and confident in all situations. Robust, adaptable, obedient, intelligent, playful, and kindly, the Leonberger is an appropriate family companion for modern living conditions.[2]

18. LMHF#1 says:

So, the Oilers have got 3/5 of the future Green Unit/Red Army – time to go find the new Fetisov-Konstantinov pair.

19. commonfan14 says:

Ducey: he is a good checker and seems to have some ja

20. Melman says:

judgedrude:
    Interesting that Bachman isn’t on the list as even a likely to move on.But I ask, if Scrivs is upgraded to a bonafide (60+ games), expensive starter, has Bachman earned a 1-way low cap deal to be an NHL backup for a year?If he falters, you could throw some games at Brossoit.

I’ve thought about this exact scenario, but can you unload Scrivens? Maybe to backup a team who needs to get to the cap floor? If your starter goes down though do you feel more secure with Scrivens than you would with Bachman?

21. LMHF#1 says:

commonfan14: Yeah, but we’re not going to know how to feel when he ends the career of an old vet on another team during the pre-season as the opposing coach scream, “This was supposed to be AN EXHIBITION!”

I miss Kirill Tulupov. Honestly liked the way he played.

22. wheatnoil says:

DeBoer signs in San Jose as head coach.

I cheer for Nelson, but selfishly still want him working for the Oilers in some capacity. That’s one less vacancy open for him, causing me to have mixed feelings.

23. wheatnoil says:

The Condors first-ever AHL player signings: G Ty Rimmer, F Braden Christoffer, and F Connor Rankin. #Condorstown pic.twitter.com/jzTpkB4zVF— Bakersfield Condors (@Condors) May 27, 2015

Edit: Braden Christoffer played for the Regina Pats. 5’10”, 190 lbs, Left Winger, less than a point a game as an overager, though he was second on his team in scoring.

More interesting is Connor Rankin. 6’0″, 202 lbs. Left Wing. Traded to the Hitman last year and then played there the whole year this year. Also second on his team in scoring but well over a point a game.

Both these guys are WHL forwards. I wonder if Green had a voice in this. Neither of them have quite Winquist’s track record for scoring, though Rankin has a bit more size to him (same height but much heavier).

24. SwedishPoster says:

wheatnoil:
    DeBoer signs in San Jose as head coach.

What’s left? Buffalo, Detroit and New Jersey? Detroit will go with Blashill or some vet coach. Buffalo feels like the only team that might take on a guy like Todd Nelson, rebuilding team, can afford taking on a guy with a developement record and an ability to tie the room together, then if his tactical skills aren’t enough once the team is ready to contend they can move on to a more experienced guy. New Jersey feels like they wiill go for Paul Maclean/Dan Bylsma or another more veteran guy or one from the merry staff of coaches that finshed the season.

25. wheatnoil says:

SwedishPoster: What’s left? Buffalo, Detroit and New Jersey? Detroit will go with Blashill or some vet coach.Buffalo feels like the only team that might take on a guy like Todd Nelson, rebuilding team, can afford taking on a guy with a developement record and an ability to tie the room together, then if his tactical skills aren’t enough once the team is ready to contend they can move on to a more experienced guy. New Jersey feels like they wiill go for Paul Maclean/Dan Bylsma or another more veteran guy or one from the merry staff of coaches that finshed the season.

Rumours have Bylsma linked with Buffalo, but I agree Nelson would be a good fit there. I doubt Bylsma goes to New Jersey. Mirtle made a good point on Twitter about Shero in New Jersey being unlikely to hire Bylsma again.

There’s really lots of good coaching candidates floating around. For Nelson, the best case scenario may be a choice between either being a Head Coach in the AHL (with Bakersfield, one presumes) or an associate coach with an NHL team (assuming the McLellan hasn’t offered him a position).

26. j says:

Hammers:

I think Nail played some games in the KHL and then straight to NHL. Does he count? Either way, very good signing.

27. Jordan says:

I had meant to post this in the last thread about Big Z.

The Oilers need a 1st Pairing D man.

Chara fills that role.

H does more than that – he checks off a lot of boxes for the Oilers.

I would hope Pete knows him well enough to be able to figure out if he would be worth whatever the asking price was… but even if he’s not worth the asking price… I’d consider it. Why?

I would suggest the Oilers are in win now mode – 2016-18 is the best window the Oilers have to have many potentially elite young players (nurse, Kelf, Leon, Connor) on ELCs.

Knowing that, I’d look really hard if Chara is on the market. That’s the kind of move that would take this team up from 20th to 15th in the league next season. Find a better than average goalie, now you’re looking at maybe 10th overall.

I don’t think you can look at next season as a conservative “lets just try to get into the playoffs” year. EVERY year of CMD’s ELC should be a win now season.

Great leaders don’t lead based on results from last year – they lead based on their understanding of the future. We know how the cap situation will work out in 3 years when CMD gets paid.

Whether the Oilers know it or not, they are in win now mode once CMD is drafted.

28. SwedishPoster says:

wheatnoil,

Didn’t think of the Shero-Bylsma (dis)connection. You’re right. Wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up Blashill-Detroit, MacLean-New Jersey(it was rumoured already in december, not even sure Ottawa had fired MacLean at that time, can’t really remember) and Bylsma-Buffalo though I think Buffalo is better off with Nelson tbh.
    If this is how it ends up I hope Nelson takes an associate position with the Oilers. I think he has a lot to bring to the table and the sense is that the two Todds coaching style will mesh well. Similar brand of hockey imo.

29. Yeti says:

G Money:
    I just came across this info about the giant “Leonberger” dog.

Appearance

30. G Money says:

I get where Wheat is coming from – would be happy (for Nels) to see Nelson be HC somewhere, but would be happy for us as fans to see him stay as HC in Bakersfield or AC in Edmonton and keep working with the youngsters and the PP.

I imagine at this point, given how epically worse-than-Oilers the Sabres have been that they will a. have to pay through the nose to get a coach there, and b. will want a veteran established coach with a track record of success.

Detroit, as mentioned elsewhere, will likely go with their own coach development hierarchy and hire internally.

That likely leaves only NJ as a decent option.

That’s the thing about being a head coach in the NHL – lots of qualified candidates, only 30 max openings, and typically only a fraction of the latter are available at any given time.

I won’t feel sorry for Nelly if he has the opportunity to work with McLellan (much the way McLellan apprenticed to Babcock), gets to work with McDavid & co. and be part of the turnaround – and then once the stench of the MacLowe Oilers has washed off, go coach somewhere good.

31. G Money says:

Yeti: Yes, but it’s not entirely clear to me how this dog proves that Draisaitl is only the 10th best player from his draft year. Perhaps I’m missing something.

C’mon man. I mean, C’mon mythical snow creature. I have it on unassailable authority that Leon is Joe Colborne v2, and damn what every hockey scout in the universe may have to say about it.

He’s lucky even to be in the conversation for 10th.

Yeti: Yes, but it’s not entirely clear to me how this dog proves thatDraisaitl is only the 10th best player from his draft year. Perhaps I’m missing something.

Dale Tallon’s Schnauzer was much better dog.

Tallon’s dog breeding skills are far beyond most and Bowman always gives Tallon the pick of the litter.

33. Pouzar says:

Watching video of Slepy you can see how he is very good at finding the softs spots in the offensive zone. Very slippery.

34. Ducey says:

wheatnoil: Looks like Ty Rimmer is getting an AHL contract with Bakersfield. Will probably play much of the year in the ECHL and get called up to fill in for injury. Good for him. Battled cancer this past year.

Both these guys are WHL forwards. I wonder if Green had a voice in this.Neither of them have quite Winquist’s track record for scoring, though Rankin has a bit more size to him (same height but much heavier).

I like the Rankin signing. He looks to have a range of skills (had 7 pp goals and 3 shorties). He fights a little, is over 200 lbs, and was second on his team in scoring with 72gm 32 47 79 +35 1.10 pt/game.

Compare him Roy: 182 lbs, 59gm 26 24 50 +5 .84 pt/g. 6th on his team in scoring.

Rankin looks to be as good, if not better, (on paper) than Roy, and he doesn’t cost a 50 man spot.

Christoffer must be someone’s nephew. He isn’t big, and only had 59 pts in 72 games. He did have 147 PIMs so he likely is described as gritty or something. Oh well, he might just be ECHL fodder. No downside to signing him.

His name sounds like a mix between Jesus and Bob Stouffer. In Bob’s mind there is little difference between the two anyway 🙂

35. John Chambers says:

Jordan:
    I had meant to post this in the last thread about Big Z.

The Oilers need a 1st Pairing D man.

Chara fills that role.

H does more than that – he checks off a lot of boxes for the Oilers.

Knowing that, I’d look really hard if Chara is on the market.That’s the kind of move that would take this team up from 20th to 15th in the league next season.Find a better than average goalie, now you’re looking at maybe 10th overall.

I don’t think you can look at next season as a conservative “lets just try to get into the playoffs” year.EVERY year of CMD’s ELC should be a win now season.

Great leaders don’t lead based on results from last year – they lead based on their understanding of the future.We know how the cap situation will work out in 3 years when CMD gets paid.

Good arguments. Although I don’t fully agree that the team’s competitive window starts now (it IMO can start as early as 2016 when there are a few bad contracts off the books and a productive Drai, Nurse, and CMD all on ELCs) I agree that they need to make a significant improvement now.

Chara is a fine target provided that the acquisition cost is low, however I doubt that it will be.

If the cost is the other first round pick it’s a non-starter though. We’ll be in far greater need of a productive ELC in 3-4 years time than a brittle, aged version of Zdeno Chara. It’s not that Chara is a poor target – it’s just there are probably several better ones who can still be useful contributors when the shit starts to really go down, and given time and proper management, it certainly will.

36. Adam Wu says:

Also posted these calculations on last thread.

We are a stats blog, no? So let’s crunch some basic numbers.

If we assume from consensus rankings that players ranked above Drai would have a higher likelihood of having a better career, and those below a lower one, with Drai ranked consistently 3-5, we could ballpark the average likelihood that any player in the top 10 having a better career than Drai at a shade under 50%. To be generous to the suave (or rapid?) argentic canine, let’s call it a flat 50%. The likelihood that 10 players end up better than Drai with an average likelihood of 50% each is 0.09%.

If we go to gilded ridiculousness and posit that every one of the other players in the top 10 has a 95% chance of being better than Drai, the chance that Drai ends up worse than all of them is still only 56%.

There are reaches in logic, and then there are moon shots….

37. Ducey says:

SwedishPoster:
    wheatnoil,

BUF is going to have hard time explaining how they signed the coach of the 28th place team after losing out on Babcock. We all know he is a good coach, but the optics would not be great.

38. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Adam Wu: Also posted these calculations on last thread.

We are a stats blog, no? So let’s crunch some basic numbers.

There are reaches in logic, and then there are moon shots….

Well that ignores the chance that someone from beyond the top 10 (or beyond the first round) ends up being one of the 10 best players from the draft. Pasternak for example.

Still though, I totally agree with what you are saying. There is very little reason to suspect that Drai won’t be in the top 10. Heck, based on performance since being returned to junior he’s ahead of Reinhart and (and miles ahead of Virtanen), and those are just the players I know enough about to form an opinion on.

39. G Money says:

Ducey,

If possible, I would like to draft

Connor McDavid
    Kyle Connor
    Connor Rankin
    Connor Hobbs
    Connor Moynihan

And if we need a goalie, Connor Ingrams or Connor Hicks.

And lastly, I think it would be very helpful if we can “cleanse the palate” so to speak with Hayden McCool.

I just get a feeling that would make for a very successful draft.

40. Ducey says:

To correct myself a little, he was second in the WHL in PIM’s and had > 10 fights. He is a middleweight fighter, with maybe some upside that could eventually play in the AHL?

41. striatic says:

I went to elementary school with Mark Napier’s kid.

At the time i thought it was bizarre that, of all the kids’ parents his dad was the only one who had to go to time out/penalty box like a bad kid.

42. spoiler says:

G Money:
    I just came across this info about the giant “Leonberger” dog.

Appearance

How big are they? This big:

Nowhere near as loyal as the Buchberger breed though.

43. Yeti says:

G Money: If possible, I would like to draft

Connor McDavid
    Kyle Connor
    Connor Rankin
    Connor Hobbs
    Connor Moynihan

Nice list, but just imagine how pissed you’ll be when the Oil drafts Lawson Crouse at #1 overall.

44. hunter1909 says:

Another Russian? Great stuff. Now convince them Marincin’s Russian.

45. Bar_Qu says:

spoiler: How big are they? This big:

Nowhere near as loyal as the Buchberger breed though.

Holy crap. How is that an ideal dog breed for the modern family? The modern family with an acre of backyard to collect the gargantuan scat?

I like the Leonberger as a comparison for the Oil’s mountain man though.

46. hunter1909 says:

SwedishPoster,

I’m fine with Nelson moving on, but he’s a good coach so I’d prefer him to stay around. In case Buchberger’s preparing his grand entrance.

47. hunter1909 says:

Bar_Qu: Like seriously, how do you afford to feed that thing, unless it is out scavenging the countryside for stray coyotes and the occasional elk?

It’s like the Rottweiler craze. 200 pound dogs eat too much unless you’re in the pharmaceuticals industry(Detroit branch).

48. Ducey says:

spoiler:

Nowhere near as loyal as the Buchberger breed though.

You say loyal. I say ineradicable.

49. hunter1909 says:

Ducey: You say loyal. I say ineradicable.

I say bring back DDT.

50. Bar_Qu says:

The #Oilers have agreed to terms with forward Anton Slepyshev on a three-year ELC | READ > http://t.co/OmvW7ElRPX pic.twitter.com/8SI7ouYgEE— Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) May 27, 2015

So now the Oil have confirmed it too.

51. Bar_Qu says:

hunter1909: I say bring back DDT.

52. Ducey says:

This article underlines what a steal it was to get Slepyshev in the 3rd round of the 2013 draft. He was considered talented enough to be a 1st rounder in the 2012 draft but he was not drafted as there were concerns he would never come to NA.

Shrewd move by MacT.

53. Tire Fire says:

spoiler: How big are they? This big:

Nowhere near as loyal as the Buchberger breed though.

GF wants to get one and name it princess. She imagines being at the dog park where people see her calling out “here princess, here princess, mommy wants you to come back,” only to have that behemoth pound it’s way out of the woods. Expectations: meet reality.

54. Yak2 says:

Replace Gazdic with Oskar Osala.

55. G Money says:

Bar_Qu,

I believe it’s the side effect of this weird thing creeping through the Oiler fan base – and LTers being no exception to this – called “optimism”!

It will seem new and strange to many, and eerily retro to others.

56. Ice Sage says:

G Money:
    Ducey,

If possible, I would like to draft

Connor McDavid
    Kyle Connor
    Connor Rankin
    Connor Hobbs
    Connor Moynihan

And if we need a goalie, Connor Ingrams or Connor Hicks.

I just get a feeling that would make for a very successful draft.

Yes, Oilers falling for the long Con (again)
    Good news re: Slippy-shev, he does have the eye of the Siberian tiger

57. Bootstrap Effexor says:

With this year’s Stanley cup finals having become so irrelevant to our pressing concerns, I’d be just fine with a sun-belt series where Tampa plays Anaheim. But even that simple decree was a struggle to muster.

It’s like that time when I was a teenager and someone shot Reagan, and it surprised me that every channel felt they needed to cover the event at the same time (considering that they enough pertinent information to fill five whole minutes of air time), and I couldn’t find Hogan’s Heroes anywhere on the dial.

I probably muttered “just die already” as I slumped to the floor in total defeat.

I wonder how much I could win in civil litigation against John Hinckley, Jr. for depriving me of an hour of cherished re-runs I’d probably already seen many times before. But I fear the court would never believe my testimony concerning the height and breadth of my adolescent angst, and I’ve probably somehow misplaced my SQUID recording (or Microsoft refuses to import the aging file format), and all I have is my present finger-tapping replica, which is but a minor ingrown whisker compared to the hairline Hawaiian–Emperor zit chain of voice break.

58. raventalon40 says:

Really?:
    Pleased to see thatthe Oilers have been able to sign another asset. Based on the somewhat sketchy knowledge we have on this player, it would appear he has a reasonable tool kit. What intrigues me is that he appears to be a +skater with decent size and hands. That immediately places him ahead of a number of Oiler prospects.

From the highlight package it appears he’s not shy to go to the hard areas and dig for rebounds or crash the net either. Good stuff.

59. raventalon40 says:

Pajamah:
    raventalon40,

Some would say the kid has the Eye of the Tiger.

😀

60. jake70 says:

Bootstrap Effexor:
    With this year’s Stanley cup finals having become so irrelevant to our pressing concerns, I’d be just fine with a sun-belt series where Tampa plays Anaheim.But even that simple decree was a struggle to muster.

Too funny. Remember being in grade 5 at recess the next day at school…..buddies and I re-enacting that shooting over and over (was our Kennedy assasination lol)…one played Hinckly, one played Reagan, Brady, McCarthy etc…we would rotate …… silly idiots we were. Still remember Frank Reynolds I think he was at ABC news, how intense he was anchoring the desk that day. And that warhawk Haig wanting to lead the country in it’s time of crisis. What I did yesterday?– can’t remember a thing.

61. Магия 10 says:

G Money:
    Bar_Qu,

It will seem new and strange to many, and eerily retro to others.

Even DSF had been infected with irrational exuberance. He’s optimistic that LD will be 10th or lower in his draft cohort.

62. Bar_Qu says:

Магия 10: Even DSF had been infected with irrational exuberance.He’s optimistic that LD will be 10th or lower in his draft cohort.

That may be the highest he’s ever rated an Oiler prospect too (at least one that was still playing with the Oil).

This was excellent.

64. Магия 10 says:

One might say he’s building Cassels in the air.

65. dustrock says:

Interesting look at Schenn vs. Couturier, 2 names often bandied about on LT. The need for Couturier perhaps isn’t there as much anymore, but still have a lot of time for him.

66. Pajamah says:

dustrock:

Interesting look at Schenn vs. Couturier, 2 names often bandied about on LT.The need for Couturier perhaps isn’t there as much anymore, but still have a lot of time for him.

If we could, we would see the Oilers forward corps comprised of 12 centres.

and 6 right hand shooting defensemen, no less than 232 lbs.

and a Goaler made of memory foam.

67. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

Bar_Qu: This is starting to resemble some of my favorite random threads of a few years back. lol

I think we will all start goofing around more as morale improves and there isn’t much to call them out on. Might be an adjustment period though, we were in the isolation pit for a long time.

68. wheatnoil says:

As update to the coaching carousel discussion above… Friedman reports Bylsma met with Buffalo today.

69. wheatnoil says:

G Money:
    Ducey,

If possible, I would like to draft

Connor McDavid
    Kyle Connor
    Connor Rankin
    Connor Hobbs
    Connor Moynihan

And if we need a goalie, Connor Ingrams or Connor Hicks.

I just get a feeling that would make for a very successful draft.

Damn it G Money! Have you learned nothing from the last 9 years? You can’t just rebuild from the draft!

You need to supplement those draft picks with excellent trades for Goalie Connor Hellybuyck from Winnipeg and Defensemen Connor Murphy from Arizona. You need to make astute free agent signings like RW Chris Conner and D Conor Allen. You also need to bring in some diversity. You can’t just have the same player through your line-up. Maybe pick-up a Cory Conacher or a Brett Connolly.

70. wheatnoil says:

Devils won't seek draft pick compensation from Sharks for DeBoer hiring http://t.co/LRkXr30v18 pic.twitter.com/03zflcQe72— Fear The Fin (@fearthefin) May 27, 2015

WHAT?

71. raventalon40 says:

wheatnoil: WHAT?

Lou probably sees it as a predatory practice and is happy to have DeBoer off the books. Plus, sounds like tit-for-tat. Respect to the Pens and Devils for doing business the old school way.

Evidence that the Bruins and Sharks are just trying to fleece us.

72. Samson Loveblast says:

Here’s another consideration for Nelson which might well help to retain him at least as AHL coach: that team is likely to be strong and deep next year with the possible additions of Leon, Slepy and a recovered Yakimov up front. On the back end he may have Nurse to go along with the existing D. Way too early obviously but if this were the case, would this be the most talent-rich AHL roster he’s had? I think yes and if so, it gives him a better chance of winning the Calder which would do wonders for his resume.

73. jm363561 says:

I do not pretend to know enough about Chara to have an opinion if he is what we hoped (the personally admirable) Ference would be. I still think the chances are that we will pick up one or two “Hendriks” type, mid tier blue liners, while the whole organisation and fan base prays KBom and Killer Nurse become the next Drew Doughty and Jake Muzzin.

74. jm363561 says:

Ducey:

This article underlines what a steal it was to get Slepyshev in the 3rd round of the 2013 draft.He was considered talented enough to be a 1st rounder in the 2012 draft but he was not drafted as there were concerns he would never come to NA.

Shrewd move by MacT.

Or one gamble that (might) pay off, unlike Eakins, Ference, Nikitin, JShultz, Fasth, etc.