THE OILERS AND THE REPUBLIC OF FINLAND (2015 DRAFT)

The Edmonton Oilers don’t love Finland at the draft table anymore. Their dual investment in goaltenders during the 2011 draft (Perhonen and Tuohimaa) are the last Finnish picks, and the club has chosen 23 players since then. Iiro Pakarinen’s signing offers some hope, but we’re in a down time for the Oilers and their Finns.

NHL TOTAL PLAYERS/FINISH PLAYERS DRAFTED BY YEAR AND TOTAL

• 2011 NHL draft–9 total players, 2 from Finland
  • 2010 NHL draft–11 total players, 0 from Finland
  • 2009 NHL draft–7 total players, 1 from Finland
  • 2008 NHL draft–5 total players, 1 from Finland
  • FINAL TALLY: 55 total players, 4 from Finland
  • PERCENTAGE: 7.3%

The NHL has now drafted 25 Finns, or about one per team, since Edmonton selected two Finnish goaltenders back in 2011. Edmonton’s pro and amateur scouting is well represented by gentlemen from that country, so it would seem possible to draft another one should the quality be substantial. That, in truth, has been part of the problem these years.

THE FOUR FINNS

• Teemu Hartikainen, who was my favorite in this group. Had a fine season in the KHL (RE: 82GP, 16-27-43) and I think he can play in the NHL, but he’s signed for two more years in the KHL now. I’ll never understand why MacT cut Harski loose so he could play an inferior Finn (Joensuu).
  • Toni Rajala, who had a legendary run as an OKC Baron but MacT sent him away the first chance he got. Rajala had a strong season in the KHL and SHL (SHL RE: 82GP, 20-19-39) but he signed with Luleå about a week ago (via Patricia Teter, link in Harski line).
  • Samu Perhonen, the huge goalie recovering his career a little with a solid SML run with Kalpa (17GP, 2.06 .911) and we can hope he has a productive career.
  • Frans Tuohimaa, who played in NA in the Oilers system this year, accomplishing little. As per Patricia, he is signed in Leksands and the Oilers have no drafted Finns in their organization at this time.

TOP PLAYERS FROM FINLAND, 2015 DRAFT

1. R Mikko Rantanen, TPS Turku (SML) Has a wide range of skills, good size.
  2. C-R Roope Hintz, Ilves (SML) Intelligent two-way W, fine skater.
  3. C Julius Nattinen, JYP (Fin 2). Big skill C impressed at U18’s.
  4. L Sebastian Aho, Karpat (SM-Liiga). Smart, skilled offensive player.
  5. D Veeti Vainio, Espoo (Fin Jr). 6.02, 170, mobile D who can pass the puck and defend well.
  6. G Veini Vehvilainen, JYP (Fin 2). 26GP, 2.57 .917
  7. L Aleksi Saarela, Assat (SM-Liiga). Small skill winger, good skater but has a growing injury list.
  8. D Joni Tuulola, HPK (SM-Liiga). Smart defender, makes good decisions and can move the puck.
  9. W Juuso Ikonen, JYP (SM-Liiga). He’s 20 and has been a good player for three years now.
  10. R Jonne Tammela, Kalpa (SM-Liiga). Two-way winger, terrific speed, good passing. Raw.
  11. D Sami Niku, JYP (SM-Liiga). Offensive defender, mobile, calm, creative.
  12. C Frank Gymer, Jokerit (Fin Jr). Small, very skilled a 1996 but has offensive talent.

Rantanen may go in the top 10 overall, suspect Hintz and Nattinen will be second or third-round picks. Aho and Vainio could go fourth round or not at all and after that it’s anyone’s guess. Oilers need some Finns! I like Ikonen, always have.

78 Responses to "THE OILERS AND THE REPUBLIC OF FINLAND (2015 DRAFT)"

Finns win.

Need more Finns.

Re: Lack for a 2nd.

I like Lack.

I’d pay a non-30’s 2nd for him.

Adjusted SV% rank last two years (among goalies who played at least 1000min)

13/14 – 32/55
    14/15 – 14/48

Nice top 15 finish last year. First year wasn’t great, but surely not awful either.

Just turned 27 so you’ll get the goalie wheelhouse of 27-32 year old years.

Under contract for 2 more years at 1.15MM. Nice contract.

Very solid bet.

Want a good goalie to tandem with though, and not Scrivens.

3. fifthcartel says:

I like Lack and I’m not a fan of Jim Benning so I think there’s a chance you can get him for MTL’s 2nd and not the 33rd pick.

4. spoiler says:

Really like Rantanen but it is not to be. Have to settle for some McDavid feller.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!

I mentioned it on LT’s show, but “Old School” GM Benning is making some “Old School” mistakes.

Gave below replacement level Dman Sbisa $3.6MM x 3

Gave 4th liner Dorsett $2.5 x 3. I like Dorsett for what he is, but that’s twice what he should be getting paid.

Very MacT like mistakes.

If he lets Lack go and keeps Miller, that’s another huge mistake.

Miller’s last 2 years in Adjusted SV% rank:

13/14 – 41/48
    14/15 – 27/55

He’s not the MIller that he was in late 20’s, early 30’s.

Turns 35 this summer.

$5MM x 3 years left on his contract.

That’s the goalie he should try to be dumping.

6. spoiler says:

I don’t think Van trades him (Lack) our way without an overpay.

7. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Benning and Chia are still on good terms? Need to call in that favour on Lack.

8. Mr DeBakey says:

“I’ll never understand why MacT cut Harski loose so he could play an inferior Finn (Joensuu).”

Hartikainen suffered a bit from Penner Syndrome.
    When the Oilers Traintrust looked at him they couldn’t see what he was doing, only what he wasn’t doing.

9. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Speaking of Finns, where does Raanta go? Does he re-up in Chicago? Prior to his signing with the Hawks, weren’t the Oilers in on his services (and got close?)

10. Visually better says:

Draisaitl will NOT play in the NHL next year, or longer if he’s gonna play like this. He’s not skating and is giving the puck away like its his day job. I would love to see just a tiny bit of compete in the guy’s biggest gave of his life thus far

11. Dashingsilverfox says:

Markstrom beats the Griffins in the AHL playoffs.

.941 in today’s game.

12. Dashingsilverfox says:

Woodguy:

Gave below replacement level Dman Sbisa $3.6MM x 3

Gave 4th liner Dorsett $2.5 x 3.I like Dorsett for what he is, but that’s twice what he should be getting paid.

Very MacT like mistakes.

If he lets Lack go and keeps Miller, that’s another huge mistake.

Miller’s last 2 years in Adjusted SV% rank:

13/14 – 41/48
    14/15 – 27/55

He’s not the MIller that he was in late 20’s, early 30’s.

Turns 35 this summer.

$5MM x 3 years left on his contract.

That’s the goalie he should try to be dumping.

Only 2 years left on Miller’s contract.

13. v4ance says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:

I read an (Edmonton Journal?) report a few weeks back with a small snippet that said the Oilers wouldn’t revisit Raanta as an option because of the earlier snub where he chose Chicago. I’ll try to find the link…

Visually better:

Very dangerous to make sweeping statements based on one game, even if it is the Memorial Cup.

15. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

v4ance: I read an Edmonton Journal report a few weeks back with a small snippet that said the Oilers wouldn’t revisit Raanta as an option because of the earlier snub where he chose Chicago.I’ll try to find the link…

Really. Well, Raanta may or may not be the answer, but that is a stupid way to conduct business, if true. It was no “snub” to choose Chicago over Edmonton. But that kind of taking a business decision and making it a personal one sounds much more like the old Lowe/MacT regime than the new one (hopefully).

16. Kmart99 says:

Drai has had better games

17. v4ance says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

I can’t find the link on Raanta but I might have seen it on Twitter instead. From my recollection, it was before the McDavid WIN so it was still MacT making the decisions. It did seem petty but that was par for the course…

18. Visually better says:

I realize that, and I’m probably over exaggerating but if I was to be honest, I think he’s an absolute phenom when he has the puck, but away from it I see him to be awfully lazy at times. If he wants to make it as a C in the NHL, he’s gotta play a lot harder than I’ve seen him this tourney IMO. Just Don’t see the compete from him

19. raventalon40 says:

Lowetide: I’ll never understand why MacT cut Harski loose so he could play an inferior Finn (Joensuu).

I thought Harski wanted out?

20. raventalon40 says:

v4ance: I read an (Edmonton Journal?) report a few weeks back with a small snippet that said the Oilers wouldn’t revisit Raanta as an option because of the earlier snub where he chose Chicago.I’ll try to find the link…

Was that old regime or new regime? Chiarelli may not subscribe to this view, though I wouldn’t sign Raanta now, personally. Hard to project his 39 NHL games in 2 seasons over a full season of 60+ games.

That being said, Scrivens played a grand total of 51 NHL games in 3 seasons before coming over to the Oilers, so what do I know?

21. Mr DeBakey says:

raventalon40: I thought Harski wanted out?

Tobias Rieder

barons have apparently signed this fellow

23. LadiesloveSmid says:

Visually better: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=88710

he’s created a ton of chances and no one is capitalizing (some credit to Appleby)

in a tournament where he’s been largely great that’s a pretty unfair statement to make after a period. Boo

24. LadiesloveSmid says:

barons have apparently signed this fellow

nail in Marco Roy’s coffin

25. season not played says:

Much has been made of the head scratcher drafting of David Musil. The latest narrative to explain the selection is that Tambo insisted the team draft a defenceman with that pick. I mean why not pick a left hand shot dman 12 picks after drafting, wait, a left hand shot d. Many believe they could have used that pick to select a forward that would probably be in the lineup right now. Every time I see the name Perhonen though it just grinds me. The Oilers were obviously looking for a goalie high in that draft and they passed on John Gibson to take Musil and then Perhonen. Let’s just hope the new regime can improve on the previous regimes brutal pro and amateur scouting and evaluation of goaltenders.

26. Магия 10 says:

LadiesloveSmid: nail in Marco Roy’s coffin

This signing is 1 way ahl and does not count towards 50.

27. Dashingsilverfox says:

That looks like a brilliant signing.

28. spoiler says:

This is intense.

29. spoiler says:

Jesus H.

30. spoiler says:

Thank you, phone a friend.

Seriously, who was he calling?

31. PeOiler says:

Alexis Loiseau passes the ‘QMJHL player I have cursed at under my breath’ test.

32. Genjutsu says:

Harsky couldn’t score a lick in the NHL. lead feet. Big but not tough.

I liked him always cheered for him but the lack of offense combined with no real defense doomed him.

Tweener clear and simple.

Also Hendricks plays left wing. LHS.

He excels at his role.

Can we all agree to leave him there on this blog?

Genjutsu:
    Harsky couldn’t score a lick in the NHL. lead feet. Big but not tough.

Tweener clear and simple.

Also Hendricks plays left wing. LHS.

He excels at his role.

Can we all agree to leave him there on this blog?

Dashingsilverfox: Only 2 years left on Miller’s contract.

Good catch.

Nhlnumbers.com has it at $6MM and waronice.com has it at $5MM.

I think I remember it being $6MM

season not played:

Spoiler: Its not about Tambo

36. Klima's_Bucket says:

Woodguy,

If the Oilers do chase a Niemi type they must keep the term to 3 years max.
    And preferably keep the cap hit a lot lower than Ryan Miller.

37. Pouzar says:

barons have apparently signed this fellow

F^ckin waste. Anyone can look good playing with Crosby.

38. Dashingsilverfox says:

Woodguy: Good catch.

Nhlnumbers.com has it at $6MM and waronice.com has it at $5MM.

I think I remember it being $6MM

2X6

39. spoiler says:

Hardest annual trophy to win in Hockey.

40. Pouzar says:

PeOiler:
    Alexis Loiseau passes the ‘QMJHL player I have cursed at under my breath’ test.

I bet he has deadly elbows!

41. Ray says:

Woodguy,

If Shero likes puck moving D that much maybe Chiarelli can pawn off jultz for some thing.

42. frjohnk says:

Dr Drai MVP

Genjutsu:
    Harsky couldn’t score a lick in the NHL. lead feet. Big but not tough.

Tweener clear and simple.

Also Hendricks plays left wing. LHS.

He excels at his role.

Can we all agree to leave him there on this blog?

Everyone was saying that about Lander too. Nelson just didn’t get to Edmonton in time to save Hartikainen like he did Lander.

44. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

barons have apparently signed this fellow

Honest question LT:

Given this guy’s numbers, and the numbers of the Calgary player we just signed, how can we be upset about not signing Roy? I mean, both these guys are coming over on AHL only deals, and they were better than Roy this last year (two years for Loiseau).

Isn’t that just proof that Roy didn’t earn a 3 year spot on the 50 man list? I find it hard to believe someone would draft him and sign him given that guys like this were available for free.

45. Rondo says:

One of Mckeens scouts opinion regarding Craig Buttons mock draft.

“Button’s list has nothing to do with reality..you can like it because it is completely wrong if you like and has your home boy way higher than he will go…it is not the list of a “scout”..it is the list of a blindfolded dart thrower. He was a poor scout in Dallas and he was even worse in Calgary. He got to scout about 30 junior games this season..he has no clue who is good and who sucks..which is quite apparent by his list.. I’d be waiting for Bob Mac’s list.”

Grant McCagg

46. thehop says:

Visually better:

MVP???????

You sir are a fool:)

47. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Woodguy: Here’s a story about a GM who over ruled his scouts (who wanted to take Saad) because he wanted a Dman.

Spoiler: Its not about Tambo

I’m not calling Musil a bust here. He seems to be progressing ever so slowly. Problem is his foot speed was always questioned. You can find plodding, defensive D-men who bring no offense and no speed way later in the draft or even on the free agency market.

I hope that a good D-man is available at 16 this year, but if there is a run on D-men and the good ones are all gone by the time the Oilers pick again, I’d prefer they went with a dynamic forward (eg. a Zacha type) rather than a D-man with warts for the sake of getting a D-man.

48. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

frjohnk:
    Dr Drai MVP

49. Dashingsilverfox says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”: That’s odd. I Googled Draisaitl MVP and the only link I could find was this one:

`See.

50. PeOiler says:

Rondo,

Scathing. I met Craig at one of those 30 games and he was a nice enough fellow. Albiet a very short conversation, he did mention how real sucess in the draft comes outside of the first round.

51. frjohnk says:

That’s mint

52. raventalon40 says:

Ray:
    Woodguy,

Now we’re talking!

Justin Schultz, Martin Gernat, and a 2nd round pick for New Jersey’s 1st and Jordin Tootoo

53. blainer says:

It almost looked like Drai’s teammates could not react at the same pace as Drai at times.. I actually believe he makes the team for sure just like that last guy we drafted who won the Mem cup MVP twice.. You know that Hall guy…

54. raventalon40 says:

blainer:
    It almost looked like Drai’s teammates could not react at the same pace as Drai at times.. I actually believe he makes the team for sure just like that last guy we drafted who won the Memcup MVP twice.. You know that Hall guy…

Like they were saying on Sportsnet, the Memorial Cup is often about established players and not a tournament of draft-eligibles.

Hall dominated the Memorial Cup as a 17 and 18 year old.

Draisaitl will be a good player, for sure, But I’m not sure he’ll ever be Hall. Hall has that fire that just burns and burns and burns. Draisaitl is more of a gentle giant (but I don’t think he’s Joe Colborne).

55. slopitch says:

Man that Ken Applyby is a unsigned goalie. Went to Coyotes development camp last fall but didnt sign. Id be ok if they signed him to go with LB and added a legit #1. With goaltending, there are so few jobs that you can go from bare to crowded in hurry.

Ca$h-McMoney!: Honest question LT:

Given this guy’s numbers, and the numbers of the Calgary player we just signed, how can we be upset about not signing Roy?I mean, both these guys are coming over on AHL only deals, and they were better than Roy this last year (two years for Loiseau).

57. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Regardless, an AHL signing that doesn’t count against the 50-man seems like there is zero downside to this signing. More please!

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:

Agree. this is a terrific signing imo.

59. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Google Ads now showing me: “Interested in Finland?” on the top banner of your page. They’re all over it!

60. Klima's_Bucket says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

Are there Cowboys in Finland because all I’m getting are ads for Cowboy Boots?

61. wheatnoil says:

I wonder if there’s any chance Roy passes through the draft when he re-enters this year? (They had until tonight to sign him, no?)

It’s a pretty deep draft and over-agers that don’t break a point a game and aren’t over-sized don’t necessarily attract a lot of attention. Mind you, the two-way rep and the fact that he’s a previous 2nd rounder would make a lot of teams look twice.

Probably a team will take a mid to late round flyer on him , but I’d say there’s a non-zero chance he doesn’t get picked. I mean, weird things happen in a draft. This guy didn’t get picked until the last selection last year. (I know he’s small but come on, he got a point a game in his draft year!)

In that situation, they could conceivably sign him to an AHL deal as well.

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:

Haha.

63. wheatnoil says:

As for the Finns, the Oilers may not have drafted them recently, but they haven’t shied away from signing them, with Uncle Jesse and EetuD2.

64. rickithebear says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”: Man oh man. That confirms so many suspicions about the way some GMs work. I wonder where the Oilers’ scouts had ranked Saad. I remember that draft day thread here where we couldn’t believe Saad and Jenner were available (I may have still been a lurker back then rather than a commenter).

BPA!

65. Hammers says:

Visually better:

I realize that, and I’m probablyover exaggerating but if I was to be honest, I think he’s an absolute phenom when he has the puck, but away from it I see him to be awfully lazy at times. If he wants to make it as a C in the NHL, he’s gotta play a lot harder than I’ve seen him this tourney IMO. Just Don’t see the compete from him

Said to my son he needs to go on the wing for first 40 if not the whole season.

66. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Hammers: Said to my son he needs to go on the wing for first 40 if not the whole season.

AHL 1C for 40, NHL 3LW for 40 would be best for his development, IMO.

67. mujidog says:

Happy for Leon. MVP honours and a WHL championship are nice feathers in his cap.
    That worked out nearly as well as we could have hoped for.

As for next season, who knows what happens. There’s too many variables.
    I just hope that Chia makes it challenging for him to crack the opening day NHL roster.

68. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

Are there Cowboys in Finland because all I’m getting are ads for Cowboy Boots?

69. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Lowetide: Loiseau had a tremendous amount of special teams time and was playing a more offensive role. Loiseau scored 25 EV goals last year, Roy 23. I’m never going to suggest Roy is going to play on a skill line, but there’s some context that has to be added in to the boxcars.

Fair enough. While I agree context is important, to me it comes down to the 50 man list.

I look at it this way when analyzing a draft +2 player for signing:

Pretend you hadn’t drafted him. Ignore that you’ve been following him and rooting for him for 2 years.

If a scout presented you with an information package on this 20 year old CHLer, with these numbers, these tools, and this size, who had this injury history and had failed to improve his numbers twice since draft day, would you honestly give him a 2 way contract? I think if the Oilers went out and did just that we’d all be pretty critical of the move.

70. SwedishPoster says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

I’d offer him an AHL contract, let’s see what he can do at the pro level and also show loyalty to a prospect. If he rather try his luck elsewhere he’s welcome to do so but I doubt he’ll get an NHL contract anywhere.

71. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

SwedishPoster,

Agreed. I like the kid I’m just not sure he’s proven to me that he’s worth a spot on the 50 man list for the next 3 years.

New post is up.

73. Genjutsu says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

Lowetide: No.

So you want him to play out of position after he killed it last year and the year before?

It’s time to win no?

74. Genjutsu says:

godot10: Everyone was saying that about Lander too.Nelson just didn’t get to Edmonton in time to save Hartikainen like he did Lander.

Lander had a range of skills. He had reputation as a leader and as a defense first player.

Plus an enormous advantage in draft pedigree.

It’s apples and oranges in my opinion.

75. thebarbarian says:

Woodguy,
    Yes, why not take a look at V Vainio. Guy is posting good nubers in the Junior SM liiga and looking ahus nubers for the kast two seasons he should pane out to be ok. If Oiles keep the 57 pick and the guy still around I would tke a chance on the guy and I do not think its a bad gamble as his numbers are better then most guys who ever played in the Finnish U20 leauge. They r even better then Erik Karlsson’s numbers at the same age.

76. thebarbarian says:

raventalon40,

If they can’t get Talbot for the 33rd pick and an prospect it would make more sense to hand an offer to Neuvirth. Why? Talbot will most probably be a good starter for years to come and if one can get him for the sole 33rd pick it would be a steel but that will not happen so they will need to throw in a descant prospect and they might even have to go as far as the 16th to get him but that’s not smart in my opinion. Neuvirth has a decant background and have done ok if not great, He can be brought in without trading assets and should not eat lots on the cap either. Sign him for a 3 year deal and upgrade a year when the UFA market offers a few more and better options. That’s my 5 cent worth of thoughts on the golie issue. Let’s what the do at the end of it.