CHIARELLI FISHING IN THE GOOD END OF THE GOALIE TALENT POOL

As we wait for Peter Chiarelli to make his first trade, information seems to be running at a slower rate than during the MacT and Lowe era’s. This is to be expected, as Chiarelli is a veteran GM and has no doubt learned sharing your thoughts with the media is a terrible idea. And yet, there is information arriving from sources and today’s item is interesting.

It’s a much younger group than many of us thought it would be, and that’s good news. It shows (imo) that the idea of going with less proven goalies—something we feared would be scrapped with the Scrivens experiment—may still be in play.

A QUICK LOOK cam talbot statsgibson statslehner stats

I like the Talbot idea, Gibson isn’t someone I thought would be available and the Lehner train has had some injury issues (and his 13-14 season wasn’t spectacular). The great thing about this trio? No long term contract for a 30+ plus goalie. The bad thing about it? Unproven goalies. Personally, I’d rather go this route, because even if you sign Antti Niemi and he has a good season, then what?

Having said that, there is risk involved and if the Oilers have poor goaltending again next year there’s going to be more hell than a little bit. The Oilers currently have Ben Scrivens, Laurent Brossoit and Eetu Laurikainen under contract for next season, and if they add Cam Talbot things look miles better for the future. Is that enough cover?

We don’t have a Peter Chiarelli trade to discuss yet, but he’s fishing in a very interesting part of the talent pool.

• More from Lebrun: Edmonton is inquiring about all the young goalies that may or may not be available, which exactly what they should be doing. I’m not really sure, though, that Anaheim is interested in making a move there at this point. Source

The question then becomes, does Chiarelli stop there? Does he acquire Talbot AND add another goalie? We wait.

95 Responses to "CHIARELLI FISHING IN THE GOOD END OF THE GOALIE TALENT POOL"

1. spoiler says:

Let’s keep in mind that Talbot is 28 this summer, so is not in the same young class as the other two goalies.

However he’s in his prime and damn cheap, and that low cost allows you to spend dollars elsewhere.

2. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

Anyone think that Slats might pull a bold move by trading the King, and keeping Talbot? Cap problem solved.

3. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

Uh oh:

Elliotte FriedmanVerified account
    ‏@FriedgeHNIC
    NHLPA met this week, and it sounds like the players, after crunching the numbers, will consider using their full 5% growth factor.

4. fifthcartel says:

I agree re: Talbot. As much as Sather might want to pull some voodoo and get a really good return for Talbot (a 1st, top 6 guy), I just don’t see how he subverts the market and manages to get that. Talbot is one year from UFA and keeping him make little sense to a team that has Henrik Lundqvist, not to mention he’s 28 like Spoiler said.

I really like that he’s exploring younger options, though.

5. zatch says:

Think that the Rangers would do Marincin and the 2nd for Talbot? Or even the 2nd and 3rd if they want 0 salary coming back?

6. spoiler says:

Re-posting the Murray comments via Garrioch from the last thread:

Murray told the Sun Thursday seven teams have called on both of his goalies, but more have shown interest in Lehner. It’s believed he’ll fetch a bigger return which is why the 23-year-old is likely the one who is going to get moved when push comes to shove…

…There’s no question the market is heating up, which is good for Murray because he’s dealing from a position of strength with depth and nobody demanding a move. Sources say the asking price for Lehner is a good, solid, young player in return and a pick in the top two rounds…

…Of course, Murray would like to get a top six forward or top-end defenceman in return but noted that kind of deal may not be out there. He may try to make the bigger deal by moving a forward or blueliner to see if he can get immediate help but that decision hasn’t been made.

“That’s a good question and that’s part of what we’re negotiating right now,” he said. “We have to make that determination if we have to sweeten the pot or not and if there’s anybody in fact willing to give up a top six forward.

“The top four defencemen and the top six forward are hard commodities to get and usually you have to draft unless it’s a cap situation and a veteran player you go make a deal for. At this point, anyway, we’re going to look and get the best deal. If it’s something other than a top six, we’ll have to do it.”

Murray also said he would like to get something done before the draft, but is willing to wait till training camp, if necessary. My opinion is that’s posturing and no way he waits till TC.

7. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I was spearheading the verbal that the organization would be very nervous about going the unproven route, and I think that would have been the case of not for the change in management.

This is very good news. Gibson would be a great add.

I bet Bernier is on the list too.

I formally retract my prediction of Pavelec. Thank Gord.

8. spoiler says:

Garrioch also noted on his twitter account that Lehner had been “cleared”.

He didn’t elaborate beyond that… cleared to work out, to skate, to play, cleared by Customs…

9. gd says:

Talbot is only $900K less cap hit than Scrivens. Would NYR do a Talbot/Boyle for Scrivens/Mtl 2nd? NYR gets Boyle’s cap space, Boyle gets reunited with TMc and can be an overpaid steadying influence for Nurse. Then the Oil can go after the cheapest UFA like an Enroth or even Bachman or take a chance on Lehner. The Oilers can then go after a bigger Dman like Michalek for a different dimension.

10. speeds says:

zatch:

depends on other offers, but I would guess so.

Not sure EDM would do it though. Ignoring the draft picks, would one year of Talbot be worth more than 4 years of Marincin?

11. mujidog says:

(1) Find out what it would take to acquire Talbot, Lehner, and Gibson.
    (2) Ask Craig MacTavish which of the 3 he would pick.
    (3) Scratch the name from previous step off the list.
    (4) Ask Craig MacTavish which of the remaining 2 he would pick.
    (5) Scratch the name from previous step off the list.
    (6) Acquire the remaining goalie without giving up too much.

PS: I’m a MacT fan and believe he made good bets with Dubnyk/LaBarbera and Fasth/Scrivens, but the man is clearly cursed when it comes to goaltenders.

12. spoiler says:

zatch:

I would hope the 33rd overall would get it done by itself. And preferably not that pick.

gd: Talbot is only $900K less cap hit than Scrivens. Would NYR do a Talbot/Boyle for Scrivens/Mtl 2nd?

Maybe… With NYR acquiring Yandle with remaining term, keeping Boyle makes no sense, but I don’t think they would want Scrivens, especially in the NY spotlight, so it might take the better 2nd rounder… or maybe the deal just falls apart on that issue.

13. Traktor says:

I remember before the 2011 draft Redline had Edmonton taking him with the pick they got from LA for Penner. We ended up taking Klefbom but Gibson was still there at 31 but we took David Plante. I mean Alex Musil.

14. knighttown says:

Too many goalies not enough spots. Too few defensemen too many spots.

You wait to see what falls into your lap with goalies and you go GET defensemen.

15. Traktor says:

speeds: depends on other offers, but I would guess so.

Not sure EDM would do it though.Ignoring the draft picks, would one year of Talbot be worth more than 4 years of Marincin?

I’m sure the Condors could find a replacement.

16. speeds says:

knighttown:
    Too many goalies not enough spots. Too few defensemen too many spots.

I generally agree with that, but I also think Traktor brings up a fair point – IF Gibson can be “the guy”, he’s the best long term fit and potentially, without overstating, could be the difference between a solid/good team and a great team over the next decade.

I don’t like the idea of giving up 16OV for Talbot, he’s not signed/under team control for long enough. But i think you could reasonably contemplate giving up 16OV +++ to get Gibson, depending what your scouts think of him.

17. speeds says:

Traktor: I’m sure the Condors could find a replacement.

I don’t know that we really have a great idea what Chiarelli thinks of him. For all we know, in talking to Chara, Chiarelli may think he’s a guy that should be kept and signed long term this summer. Also possible he thinks MM isn’t a key player going forward.

18. Traktor says:

speeds: We have no idea what Chiarelli thinks of him, for all we know in talking to Chara, Chiarelli may think he’s a guy that should be kept and signed long term this summer.Also possible he thinks MM isn’t a key player going forward.

This is true. To your point though I would look at Talbot as a RFA even if he actually a UFA. What I mean is that extending him would not be at all difficult given that his value is probably as high as it will get without taking a MASSIVE risk. I don’t see any level-headed agent telling him to wait a year before cashing in.

19. spoiler says:

Traktor: Gibson would be my first choice and I’d give up a ton for him. He’s a bit unproven but any more proven and he would be a franchise goalie. I think he could be a Price/Rask type of solution.

He’s likely the best option of the three, but the most difficult to acquire given Anaheim has no pressure to make a move. He’s also bloody cheap.

20. Bruce McCurdy says:

spoiler:
    Garrioch also noted on his twitter account that Lehner had been “cleared”.

cleared of all charges

21. Loyal2theoil says:

Acton and Ramsay relieved of their Duties and will not return as per Oilers Twitter.

Looks like TMac wants his own staff

22. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

Bruce McCurdy: cleared of all charges

No, he’s not that kind of Senator!

23. Traktor says:

spoiler: He’s likely the best option of the three, but the most difficult to acquire given Anaheim has no pressure to make a move.He’s also bloody cheap.

I’d be fine with an overpay in terms of assets or retaining salary.

Loyal2theoil:

Looks like TMac wants his own staff

I wasn’t a fan of either but TM should be choosing his own people anyways.

24. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

Loyal2theoil: Looks like TMac wants his own staff

But Rocky stays on. Nelson has praised him in the past, so maybe he makes the cut?

1) I’m glad they are targeting goalies with their best year ahead of them

2) I fear a Lehner/Cowan trade that can drop two anchors on the Oilers. Lehner is a funny prospect. Great first year, awful two follow up years.

You cannot rely on him for a good SV% today.

3) Its interesting that Gibson is a part of the discussions. I *know* the Ducks soured on Fowler a bit this year. They had good reasons. His performance hasn’t been great.

26. Loyal2theoil says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1),

Possibly. Ramsay was good in the room, but Todd needs people he knows that can teach a good defence, his way. No discredit to Ramsay though.

27. RexLibris says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1): No, he’s not that kind of Senator!

slow clap

28. Yak2 says:

GIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIBSONNNNNNN!!!!!!

29. RexLibris says:

Was it not Chiarelli that moved Raycroft for Rask a month into his GM-ship in Boston?

The 16th for Gibson, maybe? Settle up differences by adding in a depth prospect and you’ve got roster hole one fixed.

30. V.XIV.VI.I says:

Joanne Ireland ‏@jirelandEJ 20m20 minutes ago
    #Oilers have officially cut ties with associate coach Keith Acton & assistant coach Craig Ramsay, both of whom were hired by Dallas Eakins.

Glad Acton is gone, no feelings one way or the other about Ramsay, but overall I’m glad the stink of Eakins is being wiped from the team and that the Oilers have given up on forcing stage hands on incoming coaches.

31. bendelson says:

If the Oilers were to pick up Lehner for… Let’s say a 2nd and 3rd (not #33) that is a starting point.

Then, sit and wait for a team like say… Dallas, to sign a starting goalie as a UFA.
    Then the Oilers pick up Lehtinen (salary dump) for Scrivens and a late pick in 2016…

Lehtinen
    Lehner

I’m happy. Anyone else?

32. RexLibris says:

Gibson could become a fan favourite with the whiskey crowd around here.

33. RexLibris says:

Sorry to see Ramsay go, but what would make this summer even more of a coup for the Oilers would be to lure Charlie Huddy back from Winnipeg.

34. V.XIV.VI.I says:

RexLibris:
    Gibson could become a fan favourite with the whiskey crowd around here.

Pthoo! Tastes like shoe polish. =[ Almost as bad as Weiser’s, which tastes like car wax.

35. Doug McLachlan says:

LT,

The question, as you note, is whether this is a play to give Scrivins a partner or to find his replacement.

36. thejonrmcleod says:

Disappointed that I missed all the football talk in the previous thread.

37. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

V.XIV.VI.I,

May as well just go with Five Star, and save some money. And you can pretend you’re the sheriff!

38. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

I’m curious why there’s sadness to see Ramsay go? Seems like a good man and all, so I get it if it’s sympathy, but as a coach, the things he was tasked with while here were at best unnoticeable, at worst, awful.

Having been through this a few times myself, unless your performance is undeniably outstanding, a new boss means you’re on the outs. I had high hopes for Ramsay, too, but what he achieved here seems, well, forgettable.

39. ASkoreyko says:

Woodguy,

That is the type of BOLD thinking I can get behind. A good trade should hurt and it would certainly hurt giving up on Yak before he really became anything, also that 16th pick has a lot of value right now.

That being said, Gibson and Fowler would really help rebalance this team and possibly remove the distraction of having to worry about Yak and not ‘wasting’ his potential by not giving him the proper development minutes that will now be rightfully fed to McDavid.

Make it so!

40. V.XIV.VI.I says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1):
    V.XIV.VI.I,

Hah! Brilliant.

Honestly I think my problem is that somewhere along the way, some asshole who wants me to live in debt forever introduced me to scotch. Once upon a time I was happy with sugary-sweet, smooth-like caramel Canadian whiskey. Now I want that peat and smoke and salt and rock mineral water with a hint of oak and sherry.

41. cabbiesmacker says:

spoiler:
    Garrioch also noted on his twitter account that Lehner had been “cleared”.

Cleared for takeoff…..eh

42. cabbiesmacker says:

Hate to be a wet blanket but I find it hard to believe Gibson could be available. Cheap. On the rise. No need to trade him. Western Rival. No legit replacement. etc etc

43. SoCaloil says:

I just hope the ducks arent trying to send wisniewski and his 5.5 mil cap hit with Gibson

44. Ancient Oilers Fan says:

Nelson was a D in his playing days and he seemed to do a good job with the D in OKC. Meet your new Defence coach.

45. Johnny Larue says:

Oilers assistants Ramsey and Action let go.

46. RexLibris says:

V.XIV.VI.I: Pthoo!Tastes like shoe polish. =[Almost as bad as Weiser’s, which tastes like car wax.

Well at least they aren’t likely to add a player named “Cherry Jack”.

I laughed so hard I cried when I first read these.

47. blainer says:

Love that Gibson.. IMO he is the guy I am after and was really surprised he is even in the conversation.. We have to be giving up more than the 16th for him.. I expect they are talking a bigger overall trade.. Not sure on Fowler as he was a scratch this year.. Don’t they have Theodore.. Now I would be all over that.. he is gonna be a player.. Suspect the ducks are trying to dump Wiz on us…

48. RexLibris says:

SoCaloil:

I’d take him for Nikitin straight across.

49. SoCaloil says:

RexLibris,

Why would a playoff contender do that
    One year less of cap relief. True. But that turns you instantly into a non playoff contender

50. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: I can see a 16th, Yak + ? for Gibson + Fowler as Bob Murray can shore up top 6 forward, have a great pick + ? for a Dman and Goalie he may see as superfluous.

Would love Gibson and Fowler. Cam Fowler had an off year but he played the EXTREME toughs in 13/14 and didn’t drown.

51. Pouzar says:

Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey 2h2 hours ago
    Dreger: “Dougie Hamilton could be the poster boy” for an offer sheet scenario.

52. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

V.XIV.VI.I: Canadian whiskey

My father in law poured me some kind of rye a few years back, at a family dinner. Not only did I need to put a generous amount of ginger-ale in the stuff, but my GAWD what a headache. Like ‘turn down a proposal from Bailey Quarters’ kind of bad.

53. Pouzar says:

David Staples ‏@dstaples 37m37 minutes ago
    The McDavid Effect: hot college UFA Mike Reilly puts #Oilers on his NHL short list.

54. Pouzar says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1): I’m in the same boat. Loves me some scotch. Don’t drink it very often, but love it.

Activated Charcoal son. Now get off my lawn!

55. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

Pouzar,

GO JETS!

56. Ray says:

I haven’t seen it discussed before. What do the smarter minds of this fine end of the Internet think of a straight swap;

Justin Schultz for Luke Schenn?

Does Chia do it? Should he? Does Philly?

57. V.XIV.VI.I says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1)My father in law poured me some kind of rye a few years back, at a family dinner. Not only did I need to put a generous amount of ginger-ale in the stuff, but my GAWD what a headache.

Yes! What DO they put into the stuff? I mean, it doesn’t taste good (Gibson’s finest shoe polish, Wiser’s car wax), and it gives you a killer hangover. Six shots of rye leaves me feeling worse than half a bottle of scotch. Maybe it’s all the pop I have to drink it with, as you say.

58. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

V.XIV.VI.I,

I think those distilleries are owned by Tylenol. It’s the only thing that makes sense.

59. LadiesloveSmid says:

Pouzar:
    Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey2h2 hours ago
    Dreger: “Dougie Hamilton could be the poster boy” for an offer sheet scenario.

Would be a perfect fit. I imagine Boston will move everything but Rask and Bergeron to make space to match. That is a franchise pillar with Chara at his age

60. jake70 says:

Did Keith Acton ever speak while he was with Edmonton? Serious question…never saw him speak once watching on TV.

61. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

jake70,

He was more of a smell, that wouldn’t go away.

62. John Chambers says:

I would make that trade. Not only would it give a deep defensive prospect pipeline, money would also be freed up to spend on a Sekara and or Justin Williams to plug bigger holes.

The future d corps would be oriented around:
    Sekara – Klefbom
    Nurse – Provorov
    Marincin – Fayne

Sekara will be an overpay in around $6M, but the avg salary of re remaining would be in the neighbourhood of $2.5M / ea.

63. flyfish1168 says:

Interesting read. I keep thinking that if we fix the defense, a new coach and system we maybe ok with Ben and whoever.

64. square_wheels says:

John Chambers,

Tempting, but knowing how bad Chia wanted Ebs in Boston the thought of trading a 1RW without at least a prospect and a 1st rounder is not likely.

If Slats called offering Talbot and Staal and we got Talbot resigned or they add a pick, then maybe.

I can’t figure out if I truly appreciate Ebs, the eyes see a one dimensional player that excels on the PP, those players are out there. Let’s face it, the lineup to ride McD’s shotgun is not going to be short.

65. square_wheels says:

Ray,

Does none of the above qualify as a valid answer ?

John Chambers:

No. “bird in the hand”. Eberle is a legit #1 RW on a reasonable contract with duration. You need wingers for Nugent-Hopkins and McDavid to play with. When Chicago absolutely needs to win, they put Toews and Kane together. The only time Crosby has remotely looked like Crosby internationally was when he was playing between Hall and Eberle. Hall and Eberle are still devalued because the dementor’s cloud still resides over them. Come October, it will be gone. What have Crosby and Malkin won without wingers.

Also, he only D worth trading up for (but not with Eberle) is Hanifin. He has the frame, the skating ability, and the elite passing ability that none of the other D have.

67. Really? says:

Woodguy,

Absolutely would love to see Fowler and Gibson for Yak #16 and say 2016 second round pick. That would have a huge impact on the Oilers defensive situation while still allowing for us to seek out a second D Man in Free Agency.

68. square_wheels says:

Pouzar,

Now that is a move I could support, would Boston ever lose their minds though. We could threaten it to pry Z out though with a cap relief bait and switch move instead.

What’s the rule when 2 teams make offer sheets ? The new # for a 1,2,3 pick is 7.1 I think, but Dougie solves a lot of problems. Trouble is I think we might not be the only team that tries it.

69. Kmart99 says:

John Chambers:

The future d corps would be oriented around:
    Sekara – Klefbom
    Nurse – Provorov
    Marincin – Fayne

I’m just not prepared to trade the most productive player on the team. No disrespect to Hall, but he cant be counted on to provide as much offense as Ebs due to injury tendencies. The numbers don’t lie and Ebs has provided the oil with more offense than Hall since his arrival. I wouldn’t trade Hall for provorov, so I can’t imagine trading Eberle.

70. pocession charge says:

godot10:What have Crosby and Malkin won without wingers.

Marc-Andre Fleury and injuries have played a more significant role in the Penguins playoff failures than a a lack of wingers.

71. Jasmine says:

SoCaloil,

It said they asked if he was available. No idea if he’s actually available.

72. frjohnk says:

John Chambers:

The future d corps would be oriented around:
    Sekara – Klefbom
    Nurse – Provorov
    Marincin – Fayne

Sending away a first line RW away for a high pick is just sending the rebuild back. And is Yak ready for 1st line duty? Is he ready for 2nd line duty?

But I don’t think Provorov is there at 8.

Carolina 5th
    Philly 7th
    SJ 8th
    Columbus 9th
    Colorado 10th

All these teams need d men. While the consensus is always to take BPA, not every team will draft BPA.

I think in the first 10 players picked, 3 will be d men. Hanifan, Provorv and Werenski.

Id rather use the picks we have to try and move up than trade a core piece like Eberle.
    Would #16, #33 and the #79th picks get us low enough to get one of those D men? hanifan would have to slide.

I’ve given up on getting Phaneuf. No way Babcock trades him. My current recommended plan.
    1) #57 and Marincin for Talbot and Boyle.
    2) Paul Martin 3 years @ $5.5 million
    3) Buyout Nikitin

Martin and Fayne face the toughs.
    Klefbom and Boyle
    Davidson and Schultz
    Ference

74. wheatnoil says:

Lehner’s concussions scare me. I always wonder about Tyler Bunz. Obviously there are a million reasons why a solid junior prospect doesn’t transition well to pros (nevermind “the goalies are voodoo” thing) but given how cerebral goaltending seems to be, I wonder about those concussions he had early in his career. Complete speculation, obviously.

Still… based on what Murray appears to be asking, it seems like too much for such a huge gamble. I’d prefer Anderson actually.

Gibson and Talbot? I’m in! Though Gibson has an even smaller sample size than Talbot.

75. Zelepukin says:

Good riddance to Acton and Ramsey. Was there any evidence at all that pointed to them having a positive effect this past season?

Wasn’t Ramsey suppose to come in and bring some strong PP experience? Did Acton do anything other than probably have his son stick around longer than he should have?

76. John Chambers says:

frjohnk,

@ Godot, et al

Thanks for the discussion, guys.

One of my observations is that you simply need to draft good to great defensemen as they’re virtually unavailable in trade. This next season can be used to re-align the core as our centre depth will have gone from horrid to sensational. As one poster put it, it won’t be difficult to attract free agent wingers.

Hanifin and Provorov seem to be the only can’t miss D in the draft, and McDavid’s success in Edmonton will have a lot to do with whether the defense has been fixed.

77. Mr DeBakey says:

John Chambers: Hypothetically – if Provorov is still on the board at #8 and Columbus is willing to trade you the pick for Jordan Eberle, do you make the deal?

Always ask yourself “What would the California Golden Seals do?”

They would trade Eberle so that they could sign Justin Williams.
    They would.

The Kings will sign Sekara, he’s not available July 1.

Provorov looks good. Very good.
    But Eberle + Juulsen [or Meloche] at 33 is way better than Justin Williams + Provorov.

78. John Chambers says:

Mr DeBakey,

You look at what an unbelievable possession player Williams and you think “is sacrificing 10 GF to prevent 25 GA a possible outcome with this move?”

You suggest Sekara won’t be available on July 1st and so I reply: how else are you going to get defensemen to play with McDavid. The 2016 UFA defense crop is not attractive either.

The Petry signing has me freakin’ out.

79. LadiesloveSmid says:

godot10:
    I’ve given up on getting Phaneuf.No way Babcock trades him.My current recommended plan.
    1) #57 and Marincin for Talbot and Boyle.
    2) Paul Martin 3 years @ $5.5 million
    3) Buyout Nikitin

Martin and Fayne face the toughs.
    Klefbom and Boyle
    Davidson and Schultz
    Ference

I really like that trade. 3 solid and plausible moves.

Wish Ference retiring or getting bought out was in the realm of possibility too. Too bad. Nurse could do a better job than him game 1

One thing we forget is that 7D often turns into 12D by season’s end. All these kids are likely to get a chance.

81. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

This is LOL worthy!

82. Ray says:

square_wheels,

Perhaps, never know. Just searching for ideas and thoughts to past the time.

83. Evilas says:

LadiesloveSmid,

Settling on Talbot as the solution in Goal concerns me. I think Gibson and a solid vet G are likely the moves. I had thought Anderson and Talbot would be a good duo, but if this is going to happen, then Scrivens would likely be involved in a NYR deal and I would expect Purcell to be included in a deal for Anderson. My preference as the 2 targets would be Gibson and Anderson. Anderson would serve as a placeholder and mentor while the 2 kids, Gibson and Brossoit would be groomed for the future.

As doubtful as it might be I was thinking that signing Horcoff as a cheap vet mentor and Boyd Gordon insurance would be a great move. Have Horc spell off Gordon for back-to-back games, given his back issues….They would be excellent mentors for McDavid, Leon, Nuge and Lander and as well know too well C depth is always important.

As for D, I am not sold on Boyle as a solid move, however I can see it being a possibility with the TMc connection.

84. Cahoon says:

John Chambers,

Agree with others, Sekera will stay in LA, and potential is not worth your 1RW and pushing back the rebuild.

I like Werenski more anyway, you could trade up for him more easily,

85. Kmart99 says:

godot10:
    1) #57 and Marincin for Talbot and Boyle.
    2) Paul Martin 3 years @ $5.5 million
    3) Buyout Nikitin

Martin and Fayne face the toughs.
    Klefbom and Boyle
    Davidson and Schultz
    Ference

After the dissent in Toronto last year, I’m pretty sure Phaneuf is gone. He simply doesn’t get along with his teammates. Maybe Babcock wants to keep him, but maybe he can’t.

I’m still convinced Phaneuf is an Oiler in 15-16.

86. Genjutsu says:

I don’t really like this move. His play is OK at the money he makes and I do think that in sheltered role he could excel. Say beside Shultz with that big OZ push. Lots of PP time.

The length of the contact is a little scary and you still have find a RHD.

This team, to me, looks pretty set on the left side.

Very few players are able to play effective off side D.

87. Kmart99 says:

Oesterle, Davkdson, Nurse, Simpson, Laleggia, Musil, Hunt, Marincin…. That OKC D is damn good. Damn good.

88. Ryan says:

Zelepukin:

Maybe they’re just making room for Bucky….

Oh wait, Mact isn’t out GM anymore. 🙂

89. Ryan says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1):
    This is LOL worthy!

I clicked on your link after my post. Great stuff!

90. Genjutsu says:

Kmart99: Oesterle, Davkdson, Nurse, Simpson, Musil, Hunt, Marincin…. That OKC Dis damn good.Damn good.

Not sure why you have Marty in Cali next year.

No way he clears. Too many teams looking for cheap help on D. Add to that his potential and I’m guessing you would likely have 20+ claims on him.

Also OKC is dead.

91. GCW_69 says:

Woodguy:
    1) I’m glad they are targeting goalies with their best year ahead of them

2) I fear a Lehner/Cowan trade that can drop two anchors on the Oilers. Lehner is a funny prospect.Great first year, awful two follow up years.

You cannot rely on him for a good SV% today.

3) Its interesting that Gibson is a part of the discussions.I *know* the Ducks soured on Fowler a bit this year.They had good reasons.His performance hasn’t been great.

That would certainly be interesting.

If Gibson is the target, I could see the Oilers sending Scrivens the other way (possibly retaining salary) to the Ducks so they have a veteran competing for the back up role.

Then, the Oilers could sign Niemi and run Niemi and Gibson as a tandem until Gibson pushes Niemi out of the way. Kind of a Thomas / Rask lite scenario.

92. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

GCW_69,

Niemi is likely looking for 4 or more years. Maybe in a weak market he signs for 2, but I think he’ll find someone willing to give him 4. I’m not sure that’s a good idea as he may be hard to move, so if the plan is for one of Gibson/Brossoit to push him out it’s going to be expensive.

Ramo or someone like that is a better bet to take a shorter term tandem style role.

93. Hockey News: Penguins for Sale; Eichel Better than McDavid? says:

[…] Oilers may have a trade for a goalie in their plans. [Lowe Tide]. And they’ve made some changes in their coaching staff. [Copper N […]

94. Bruce McCurdy says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1): No, he’s not that kind of Senator!

Now that made me laugh out loud.