OILERS LOVE THIS DRAFT

About two months ago we began talking about the value of the Penguins’ pick being so high that the Oilers might not be able to trade it. Not long ago, Peter Chiarelli addressed the idea of dealing that (or other) picks:

• “I certainly would look at moving any of those picks for something that would help us right now but also that could grow with our organization. You’re usually talking, relatively speaking, a younger player. I’m not ruling out anything. That’s a lot of picks and it’s good to have a lot of picks and develop players, but we also want to hit the ground running too with some more game-ready players. The discussions are picking up and they’ll continue to be on-going until the draft and they might subside a little bit and then pick up again in and around the free agent date.”

So we’re talking a younger type who has good value and might be available. Someone like Ryan Murray (if he could stay healthy), Derrick Pouliot, that kind of player. I don’t think that player will be made available, and I do believe Edmonton will make the pick at No. 16. The club may move No. 33 on day two, but the value on No. 16 this season is extreme.

• Director of Central Scouting Dan Marr: “Someone that they’ll be very pleased that’s still there. That’s what happens on draft day. You have your list and you don’t think that player would be available at that pick. Strange things happen as the draft moves along. I wouldn’t be surprised if they got a guy that they rank maybe 10-11 on their list at that point.”

On SSE we did a mock draft and Edmonton ended up with Connor McDavid (No. 1) and Evgeni Svechnikov (No. 16). That’s an exceptional return, and the club has two more picks in round two.

• Oilers Director of Player Personnel Bob Green: “We’re really excited because we have a lot of picks. The timing of that couldn’t be better. Every time we look at our lists and talk about players we see that. We get into the third round and beyond and we’re still going to be taking guys that have a great opportunity so it is exciting.”

Source

If there’s a substantial offer that covers the value at No. 16, I’m all for dealing the pick. Suspect we see Peter Chiralli on the podium twice on Friday night of the draft.

83 Responses to "OILERS LOVE THIS DRAFT"

1. RexLibris says:

I haven’t seen it posted anywhere, but does anyone know what time the draft begins?

RexLibris:

It’ll be 5pm Edmonton time iirc.

3. Snowman says:

Can they just hurry up and do the damn draft already?! The buildup is killing me. I’m so excited. I just want to know what happens.

4. Younger Oil says:

This is really, really good news. If there is any draft to make all of your picks, this is the one. It could set us up for the next decade if we make smart picks.

And I just thought I’d mention it again, but I was thinking about collecting who posters around would have picked at each position we draft at immediately after the draft is completed, and compare it to the Oilers’ picks (as well as the next 5 picked in each position) after 1, 3 and 5 years to see how a bunch of amateur draft enthusiasts stack up against all of the professionals (if LT is OK with me collecting those opinions in the comment sections of his posts).

Snowman:

6. jake70 says:

Wonder if Eichel falls to #2? 🙂

7. Younger Oil says:

Also, on the #33 pick, depending on who slides, it would take a lot to pry that pick away from me. I don’t want to feel the same as I did after Barbashev was selected with our #33 pick last year. Odds are there will be an even better player at that position this year.

With Pitlick, Musil, Moroz all being somewhat disappointing early round picks, I think this new management needs to make a statement and show they can pick a successful player at that position (even though Pitlick looked like a good bet at the time).

8. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Haha! Twice a day I sit down and say to myself “you HAVE to write about something other than the draft.” As you can see, it’s going well!

That’s hilarious and I can’t say I blame you. It’s a fascinating draft.

And with Crouse and Zacha scheduled to go early, there’s someone beautiful is going to be tough to turn down at 16.

However that might also mean a King’s ransom is offered in a deal. Would kill to be at that table during the draft.

Personally I’m guessing Chia keeps his powder dry and sees what shakes loose over the long summer. Frustrating the hell out of our impatience lol. Coz torture and the Oil go hand-in-hand.

9. Snowman says:

Well, there’s always next draft! Surely it cannot be this exciting two years in a row.

10. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

spoiler: Coz torture and the Oil go hand-in-hand.

Boiling oil, usually.

11. kinger_OIL says:

I’d love to see a post about what the RE is for the OIL next year: First best case (realistic) trade/RFA, draft day moves scenario vs Second what I expect: a D addition not as good as Petry, and Nikitin, Ferrence and Jultz all on the team, and maybe a forward (Roy or better) and a”Better?!” G bet, and Third, simply status quo, with Nurse and Drai coming in after say 20-40 games, after some trades in the mid-season…

12. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

Snowman:

I heard that it’s going to be Ausome!

13. striatic says:

It’ll be interesting to see, if Chiarelli does move the pick, whether or not he pulls the trigger on the Draft floor or beforehand.

Don’t know which would be more effective from a sales perspective but depending on who you’re dealing there could be an advantage in doing your homework and waiting until you’re on the clock.

14. jake70 says:

Good crowd there in Edmonton for the soccer game. Canada with a last minute penalty kick. Sinclair wins it in stoppage time.

15. v4ance says:

I know you say goalies are voodoo LT but do you have a pre-draft ranking of goalies from the past few years or decades?

Where were the goales drafted relative to their pre-draft rankings?

Who were the most successful goalies (top 3) out of each draft?

Which group delivers more successful goalies: all the first rounders or all the rest drafted in later rounds?

16. Richard S.S. says:

I’ve been thinking it’s just possible Picks #1 through #90 could be normal first round talent in any other Draft. A few texts I’ve had with non-Edmonton Oiler fans think so too. But that seems so bizarre, Picks being that good that late, am I wrong? I’m not alone, but am I wrong?

With so much Ready-Now talent on this team, by adding McDavid, they are saying Now, Now, Now, the time is Now. Picks #16 and #33 should go for G and RHD in either order, whether with trades or drafting. I always thought that with just average Goaltending last year they win a lot of games.

One acquisition this year must be a #1 top something needed. With the value of picks being so high, it should be done.

17. Younger Oil says:

Richard S.S.:
    I’ve been thinking it’s just possible Picks #1 through #90 could be normal first round talent in any other Draft. A few texts I’ve had with non-Edmonton Oiler fans think so too.But that seems so bizarre, Picks being that good that late, am I wrong?I’m not alone, but am I wrong?

With so much Ready-Now talent on this team, by adding McDavid, they are saying Now, Now, Now, the time is Now.Picks #16 and #33 should go for G and RHD in either order, whether with trades or drafting.I always thought that with just average Goaltending last year they win a lot of games.

One acquisition this year must be a #1 top something needed.With the value of picks being so high, it should be done.

I think it’s more realistic to say that the top 100-120 could have very well gone in the top 50 in an average draft, which is still incredibly exceptional.

18. Dicky94 says:

Younger Oil,

I still think Pitlick is going a good 3rd line winger. Hope it’s with the Oil.

19. Dicky94 says:

Dicky94,

Going to be. Sorry…afternoon beers.

20. Richard S.S. says:

Younger Oil,

Thanks.

21. Younger Oil says:

Dicky94:
    Younger Oil,

I still think Pitlick is going a good 3rd line winger.Hope it’s with the Oil.

I completely agree, I’m a big Pitlick fan, I hope they re-sign him. If it wasn’t for injuries, he could be a really solid player, he has all of the tools. I was just pointing out that he is perceived as a “miss”, or very replaceable player by much of the fan base, so many wanted more from a 31st OV pick. Granted, 4 of the 5 players drafted after him haven’t even played an NHL game, so he’s got them beat!

22. Магия 10 says:

jake70:
    Wonder if Eichel falls to #2?

Falling with style.

23. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

Crawford displaying what a top goalie means to a team.

24. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Rip Fan Winkle “OilOnslaught”,

Lol, seriously? I mean the occasional mistake, yeah, but he’s won a conn smythe for a reason. He’s a great complement to Toews, Hossa, and Sharp.

I get the idea that he isn’t someone’s favourite Blackhawks, because good Gord there are lots of options, but he’s spectacular all in all, even if you aren’t a fan of the player type.

25. Rondo says:

Colin White sounds like a good prospect. He had injuries this year went from 190 pounds to 160 pounds. Still working to get the weight back. Sounds like an excellent 2-way player and an excellent skater. Oilers I think would look at him at #16.

26. striatic says:

Rip Fan Winkle “OilOnslaught”: I really don’t like Kane’s style. Despite his talent. Offense only momentum killer, too loose and risky for his completion %, not worth it.

On the flip, Toews is incredible. Watching him PK and thinking how unfair it is that this guy can do everything at an elite level.

RNH could be there one day if only he could win a face off.

27. Pouzar says:

Wow…big time interference there by Hossa.

28. Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker) says:

Some of the combine tests seem pretty underwhelming. This isn’t a new thing, but I know my high school football team had higher average bench press. Lowest testing weight we were allowed was 135. Probably about ten did 225. I did 225 for 4. I was 5’11 190 lbs. We also had several people who could do 20ish pullups (myself included). Man those were the days… I am honestly curious if the kids are on the ice too much, when they should be developing more strength in the gym. I mean these guys are gonna be pro athletes. They look like they are in great shape, but I honestly expect some higher results from them.

29. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Rondo,

Did you read the New England Hockey Journal link I posted? Features White, among others.

30. Rondo says:

NYCOIL "Taking Photos",

No, but i will.

31. Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker) says:

I think the broad jump is the most important test. Many coaches will agree. It is a great indicator of power and athleticism. Honestly warmed me up to blackwood. You can work with a guy with that kind of athleticism.

32. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker),

It’s enticing, for sure. I saw one tweet today that said he looks like a linebacker prospect.

I also read a quote from Gretzky, who said that when he scored 90 goals, he could do about 10 situps. When he could do 90 situps, he scored about 10 goals.

33. Rondo says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

Thanks,

Would you consider him at #16?

34. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Rondo:
    NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

Thanks,

Would you consider him at #16?

Depending on who is left on the board. I see at least a couple of intriguing names ranked in the top 12 potentially sliding to the mid-teens. Too deep a draft to not have variation in internal rankings.

35. Магия 10 says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1):
    Combine harvest: http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2015/6/6/8741785/2015-nhl-draft-combine-complete-fitness-testing-results

Ranked 2nd at his position by bobby mac. I wasn’t expecting that. (not Eichel)

2 Musculoskeletal: Standing Long Jump
    3 Force Plate: Vertical Jump
    3 Anaerobic Fitness: Peak Power Output
    3 Musculoskeletal: Left Hand Grib
    3 Musculoskeletal: Right Hand Grib
    7 Aerobic Fitness: Test Duration

36. Магия 10 says:

Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker):

Bring on the goalie whisperers. 35th consensus and evaluation variance at that position suggests he’s picked before 33rd.

37. Ice Sage says:

Y’know it’s funny – this is such a strong draft that lots of teams are going to get solid cornerstone players for their franchises for years to come…

Who ‘won’ the 2003 draft again? seems to me it actually set up lots of teams (NJ, Anaheim, Vcr, StL, Carolina, LA etc.) for their following decade’s success but it all just sort of neutralizes over the medium haul.

In other words, this is a draft to not F*%K up a la MAPouliot (Jessiman, Nilsson). There will be busts… have the Oilers learned????

38. Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker) says:

Магия 10,

Not gonna pretend like I know about goalies, but I imagine he gets grabbed in the first round. We can argue about the importance of the combine, but I think it is useful. I wouldn’t necessarily change my list based off it, but it would give a guy an extra push if they are close. Could also give off flags of training habits.

Broad jump is a pretty natural exercise in that it is harder to get good at. Some of the other ones, I tend more towards the underdeveloped guys. Bennett was embarrassing though. I can’t think of any high school athletes save a couple OL that couldn’t do at least one.

39. Pouzar says:

Holy Sidebar Batman:

Any golfers out there use GolfNow to book tee times? Not much selection in MB but it looks like quite a few courses in Alberta use it.

I got a pretty sick deal for tomorrow. $20 including cart. Normally that would run me at least $60.

40. sliderule says:

The combine is a waste of time except for confirming heights and weights.

The tests are not hockey specific and while useful for evaluating football players useless for hockey.

The tests also benefit college players with their short schedules and workout coaches

Why they won’t do on Ice testing is beyond my comprehension.

Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker):
    Магия 10,

How was Bennett embarrassing?

1) He was one of the youngest players in his draft.
    2) He played the entire season with a bum shoulder, with a reckless physical style.
    3) Let all forwards in offense (even though being one of the youngest players in the draft).

He couldn’t do a pullup because he had an injured shoulder that he played all season with and outproduced every other forward in his class.

42. striatic says:

Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker): Bennett was embarrassing though. I can’t think of any high school athletes save a couple OL that couldn’t do at least one.

My understanding is that Bennett had an injured arm and tried to do one anyway. Why this information didn’t come out until much later I don’t understand. He ultimately did 11 pull ups at Flames rookie camp.

43. V.XIV.VI.I says:

I have this weird personal theory that the more freakish someone’s performance at the combine, the closer they are to their ceiling and the less room they have to improve. That’s not to say you want bad results, but the very high end ones are probably closer to their own personal limits than the mid-range.

44. Ice Sage says:

A bit off topic but…

McDavemonton looking fantastic at Commonwealth FIFA game tonite.

Too bad this 2nd tier women’s soccer is agonizingly disjointed.

45. Rondo says:

46. Магия 10 says:

V.XIV.VI.I: the closer they are to their ceiling and the less room they have to improve.

Recall some thinking that landeskog went too high as he matured early. At an extreme we’d moneyball underdeveloped rails. By the way at draft date weight is a much better predictor of success than height.

47. Магия 10 says:

Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker): Not gonna pretend like I know about goalies, but I imagine he gets grabbed in the first round

Think he will based on the 35th consensus alone. Must be a lot of variance in that 35th.

48. striatic says:

Rondo: The more I read about Colin White the more I think he is the right pick at #16 if available.

49. Bad Seed says:

Pouzar,

Where at?

godot10: How was Bennett embarrassing?

1) He was one of the youngest players in his draft.

He was also the best player in the draft.

51. Pouzar says:

Bad Seed:
    Pouzar,

Where at?

Teulon

52. Pouzar says:

Come on….where the F^ck are the golfers?
    Scotch drinkers and no BLEEPIN golfers?

53. unca miltie says:

Pouzar:
    Come on….where the F^ck are the golfers?
    Scotch drinkers and no BLEEPIN golfers?

I won’t say I am a golfer anymore, but I have used golf now many times when travelling. Hawaii, palm springs..works well for me

54. thehop says:

Dude I’m a golfer. I play the tpc at mulhurst bay, drink as much beer as my cart can carry, regularly shoot double LT’s age, (which is well beyond the century mark from what I know) but I’ve never used Golfnow. I’ll be sure to check it out.

55. Pouzar says:

That’s better!

EDIT: And get off my lawn BOLD 90210!!!

56. flyfish1168 says:

godot10: How was Bennett embarrassing?

1) He was one of the youngest players in his draft.

Interesting comment about bennett’s shoulder injury. I vaguely remember it as an injury during a phlegm’s pre-season exhibition game. Which wouldn’t have effected his chin up performance. A month later I remember him and Ekblad spoofing on TV about it just prior to the draft. Just how I remember it. Being able to do a chin up doesn’t make you a good hockey player. Just more a conversation piece

57. striatic says:

Lowetide: He was also the best player in the draft.

I can see 2nd best [sorry Leon] .. but better than Ekblad?

58. flyfish1168 says:

striatic: I can see 2nd best [sorry Leon] .. but better than Ekblad?

I agree Ekblad is going to be the best. I still think Leon will be better just due to the fact sam can’t play his physical style in the NHL. their style of play is very different. I just hope people won’t be disappointed with Leon when he doesn’t play a physical game with his size. JMHO

59. dustrock says:

striatic: I dunno .. Svechnikov looks awfully good and should be in the range of the 16th pick. You can never have too many Centres though I guess.

There’s going to be a number of great prospects available at 16 and hard to say which, if any, are the obvious pick for the Oilers

BPA is harder to see there and need changes in your pro roster by the time the ’15 draft picks are ready for business.

But someone like White, Connor, Meier, Konecny would be great.

60. frjohnk says:

striatic: I can see 2nd best [sorry Leon] .. but better than Ekblad?

Last year I said Ekblad was the best player of that draft.

A year later he has sprinted way ahead of the pack.

A major injury in the development years can stunt a players growth.

I still think Bennett is the 2nd best with Leon close behind.

But in the scheme of it all. It is still way early. Lots of track left.

striatic: I can see 2nd best [sorry Leon] .. but better than Ekblad?

Bennett’s issue is injury. He’s small for his style of play, like Wendel Clark or Gilbert Brule.

62. Genjutsu says:

As much as improvement at G and D are musts this year I really hope they make all the picks this year and then make trades after free agency.

My Israel off season would mirror what Garth snow did last year in trading picks from next year’s drafts and beyond.

Sign Martin. Offer sheet Hamilton. Buyout the double agent.

Then make some good bet trades for cheap young Gs.

Why not us?

63. elphy101 says:

The more I read on this draft, I think the harder it is going to be to trade any of our draft picks. If we aren’t getting a Seabrook, Bouwmeester, Burns type, I don’t think it makes sense to make a trade.

Red line is sure in favour of Jeremy Roy. Calling him the top offensive dman in the draft and saying he has the highest hockey IQ of any dman. I would love to see him picked at 16.

With the 33rd, I’d be pretty happy if we take a long-term goalie solution (Vladar, Tomek, Blackwood or Samsonov) or Kylington or Beauvillier. Heck we might be able to take one of Kylington or Beauvillier at 33 and have the long-term goalie drop to 57.

64. dustrock says:

Just read the Oilers have interviewed Svechnikov several times over the year and again at the combine. He said he enjoyed the interviews with them.

Interview reactions all over the place for Sprong.

Some rumblings Crouse likely falls a bit.

Teams like Zacha’s interviews, don’t think he’ll drop from top 10.

65. One-Timer says:

Genjutsu:

My Israel off season would mirror what Garth snow did last year in trading

Best autocorrect ever.

As for next year, league average goalering will do.
    The biggest difference maker by a country mile will be getting a top pairing D. Fans should brace themselves for the departure of a favourite forward (but not Nuge!) and this is exactly why Chia was brought in. He knows D and he’s got the gonzales to trade for it.

WG has pointed this out before, but pushing everyone down just one rung on the depth chart makes a massive difference.

It’s like the chess Olympics, where each country sends four players. Top players face each other, seconds face each other, etc. In most cases, all the tables are pretty evenly matched. But if Kasparov (or Subban or Weber) joins your team, then he crushes the top board, and your normally-number-one guy gets to crush the second board, and so on.

Top D’s gotta be the top of the list.

66. rickithebear says:

Anthony Richard
    5’9.5″163lb
    Age NHLE .56
    20 EVG 14 EVA EV NHLE
    9 PPG 20 PPA PP NHLE

68. Marc says:

There’s always a lot of talk before the first round of the draft about trades, but they really don’t happen all that often, so I’d be surprised if 16 gets moved.

Given the depth of the draft I expect that there will be at least one player (and probably more) there at 16 that the Oilers project to be a top six forward/top four D in 3-5 years. I can’t see Chia pulling the trigger unless he’s offered a young top six forward/top four D who is either under contract or controllable for 3+ years.

But when you get right down to it, very few teams are going to give up a young top six forward/top four D who is either under contract or controllable for 3+ years for a pick, even a good one in a deep draft. Those are the guys that teams tight against the cap need more of, not less of. Rebuilding teams build around them, not give them up. And competitive teams can’t sacrifice guys that can help now for guys that will help in 3-5 years unless they are very deep at the position.

I think that there are a handful of players ie. Staal, Spurgeon, Muzzin/Martinez that might fit the bill for Chia and whose current team may consider moving them for the 16 pick. But the odds of a deal actually coming together are pretty slim.

69. Rondo says:

Colin White.

Don’t know if this guy is authentic commenting on Colin White but this is what usascout1 said on HBoards

“The way he has molded his game into being able to do everything well in all 3 zones makes him a valuable commodity to teams. Need a big face off won, he’s your guy. Need a teams top line shut down, he’s your man. Need a 5 on 3 killed or or a PP goal he’s your man. Need a goal in a big game on a big stage he is your man. Broke Toews record in the U17 World championships and had the Gold medal goal in the u18 world championships in OT while adding a hat trick against Canada in the semis. Was named second best player in the tournament for team USA. It was Matthews then White then Tkachuk. He battled mono for months which disrupted his season. He lost 15 lbs due to mono and still put up 54 puts in 54 games. He is healthy now and highly valued by many organizations. He is a stud.”

70. Bad Seed says:

Pouzar,

I’m a golfer but don’t use Golfnow locally. Have used in Az and Ca on golf trips.

Here’s a tip if you’re a masochist – try Black Bull out at Pigeon Lake. It’s a killer.

71. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Bad Seed:
    Pouzar,

I’m a golfer but don’t use Golfnow locally.Have used in Az and Ca on golf trips.

Here’s a tip if you’re a masochist – try Black Bull out at Pigeon Lake.It’s a killer.

I grew up playing Black Bull. Great course. Good food too.

72. Katzes_Kats says:

Would anybody consider drafting that Russian goalie Ilya Samsonov with the #33 pick if he’s still available? I know we have Brossoit and that new Finnish goalie, but having a potential stud goalie is never a bad thing, especially given our recent plights in that position.

73. Bad Seed says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

I had a friend years ago who was a pro at Northern Bear – said Black Bull was in top 5 of best courses in Alberta.

74. rickithebear says:

Hossa;
    Iginla;
    Kessel
    Carter
    Pacioretty
    Simmonds

Oilers Do not F……. this up!

75. Cahoon says:

Katzes_Kats,

If Samsonov is there at 33, you take him. He won’t be though.

76. Cahoon says:

G Money,

Loved the analysis. If we can get talbot with #33 I think that’s a no brainer, if not I say Neuvirth is a pretty solid bet. I also think Scrivens is better than the average person on this blog thinks.

77. Rondo says:

Rondo:
    Colin White.

Oilers we need to decide how much separation there is between D-men going at #16 and #33. If not a lot then Oilers will go for a F at #16. Unless they do go for a G at #33.