RE 14-15 TYLER PITLICK: TROUBLE NO MORE

If it weren’t for bad luck, Tyler Pitlick would have no luck at all. From knee to spleen and back again, the man has not been blessed with good health since turning pro. Make no mistake: He had issues as a prospect before the maladies but those health concerns didn’t help at all.

RE 14-15: 45GP, 3-7-10 .222

ACTUAL 14-15: 17GP, 2-0-2 .118

TYLER PITLICK BOXCARS

PITLICK BOXCARS

TYLER PITLICK FANCY NUMBERS

pitlick fancy

1. The young man can’t stay healthy! Yeah, it’s too bad. He had a shot in the fall but couldn’t make the club, and then later a recall that might have been his chance to establish himself. A significant (spleen) injury derailed him again.
  2. His season started with the waiver wire. Yes. Pitlick was a bubble player and didn’t make the opening night lineup. MacT: “I think Tyler is at a position right now that we wish he would have been at a year or a year and a half ago. He’s turned himself into a professional. I think that it ended up with Tyler, as well as Pinizzotto, were two difficult decisions. It got down to a positional bias and I thought the 13th forward here would be best served by being a centreman and it was a risk I was willing to take.” Source
  3. Was he good in TC? I thought he was, yes. Pitlick always looks like a hockey player to me, the guy has good size and can hit too. The offense has been a concern in pro hockey but even there he had good AHL numbers when he was in OKC this season.
  4. What will the scouting reports and verbal tell Chiarelli about him? Pitlick scored well in his one season junior (22 EV goals) but he didn’t resemble anything close to a top 9F in the AHL before season three. Part of that had to do with injuries, and he does look like he can play a crash and bang style when he’s in the NHL, but the offense is really a concern. I think the general view on Pitlick from the organization was positive under MacTavish, no idea where we go from here.
  5. Does he get a one-way deal from Chiarelli for 15-16? The 50-man list gets a haircut every summer and the bubble boy this year (for me) is Pitlick. I’m not sure he survives, what with Iiro Pakarinen’s emergence and Rob Klinkhammer being signed for 2015-16. No bitching, Pitlick had his shot. It’s close, but I say they walk.
  6. Andrew Miller’s recent signing also impacts things. Not really.
  7. How so? Miller’s a skill guy, Pitlick is going to play on a checking line. Miller is going to be recalled if Eberle or Purcell or Yakupov get hurt. Pitlick’s competition is Pakarinen and Klinkhammer, etc. Different slots in the batting order.
  8. He doesn’t score much. It was an issue in the minors, but Pitlick scored 3-6-9 in 14 games this year. That’s a breakout number compared to his own past.
  9. Maybe he’s not getting a chance to play with skill? He actually played 54 minutes with Taylor Hall but the offense wasn’t there. Small sample size obviously, but Pitlick went 0-0-0 in those minutes while Hall gathered just one point (that’s not using No. 4 wisely).
  10. What should they do with him? Pitlick’s issue with the Oilers probably revolves around contract. He’s not going to get a one way—hasn’t earned it, as Anton Lander did last year—and there’s every chance he’d be Bakersfield bound in the fall. Would he accept a two-way deal? If he’s willing, then maybe it happens. I don’t think it’s close to a slam dunk.
  11. So, send him away? I’d probably offer him a two-way contract but the RW depth chart has Jordan Eberle, Teddy Purcell, Nail Yakupov, Rob Klinkhammer and Iiro Pakarinen in front of him, plus Andrew Miller and a guy like Greg Chase may also factor in before the new year. Pitlick’s role, should he return, is probably Bakersfield and then callup.
  12. He may want to get a second opinion? Something like that. Try his luck at another casino.
  13. Why this song? It’s about luck changing, about things not lasting forever. In Pitlick’s case, it’s about trouble no more. Starting now.
  14. As an Oiler? We’ll see. Peter Chiarelli has no ties to  him and may want to bring in his own man.
  15. To replace Klinkhammer? It’s not a high bar.
  16. Pitlick couldn’t do it. It would help if he could stay healthy for an entire season, maybe he’ll surprise us some day.

77 Responses to "RE 14-15 TYLER PITLICK: TROUBLE NO MORE"

1. spoiler says:

Does he get a one way to protect him from waivers? Or does Chia not do things that way?

He’s exactly the kind of guy that has to head down the road when new management takes over Heartbreak Hotel.

2. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

spoiler: Does he get a one way to protect him from waivers?

You mean as a ‘poison pill’ scenario, where no other GM would want to pay him big dollars in the minors?

3. spoiler says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1),

Like the Gazdic deal.

4. teddyturnbuckle says:

I’ve always had the same thought about Pitlick. He doesn’t drop the mitts and doesn’t score enough. Can’t be bad at both.

spoiler:

One way contracts do not protect anyone from waivers.

A player is waiver eligible based on age and/or games played.

Contract status does not factor into it at all.

Edit: See that you may be refering a NHL cheque in th AHL. Not sure that does anything as up to 925K won’t count against the cap.

6. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

spoiler:
    BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1),

Like the Gazdic deal.

I think there’s a lot of things that keep Gadzooks from being plucked off the waiver wire 😉

Woodguy: One way contracts do not protect anyone from waivers.

A player is waiver eligible based on age and/or games played.

Contract status does not factor into it at all.

true. Edmonton COULD sign Pitlick to a poison two-way (NHL $800,000; AHL $800,000) deal but I don’t think waivers will be an issue. It wasn’t last year, he hasn’t progressed beyond a certain point. Pakarinen probably has more waiver risk.

8. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Screaming Targets: Noah Hanafin
    Word is AZ is going to break Toronto’s heart and take Strome. I have little doubt that TO would take Draisaitl for their #4 pick; however I think the oil could even do better.

Oilers trade Leon Draisaitl and #33 for
    #4 and Jonathan Bernier

I’d hate to trade the big German but to walk away with the best C, the best D and a proven #1 would be unbelievable. Plus the #16 allows another top end talent to enter the system in 2-3 years. Would TO part with Bernier? I don’t know but the masses there are dying for a big center and an overpay seems possible. Plus if they are rebuilding they might try to avoid having a top tier goalie.

See the following for a great look at Bernier. It uses a different approach than woodguy but it think the oil could be confident in knowing what they are getting.

Remember that Hanafin is Ekblad/Jones good so he should be fine first year.

All that is left is to get Character or Martin for a few years.

9. RexLibris says:

till_horcoff_is_coach: Oilers trade Leon Draisaitl and #33 for
    #4 and Jonathan Bernier

That would be one heck of a deal.

Grabbing McDavid, Hanifin and one of Roy, Svechnikov, or Meier on the first day, adding Bernier at G? Wow.

A D-corps of Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin and Hanifin would be some kind of thing.

10. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

The NHL draft cap designs: http://i.imgur.com/sTemRZz.jpg

You know, I might be tempted to once again buy some Oilers’ merch, but that hat is disgustingly awful. The poison hotline could use it to induce vomiting.

Back in ’97 or ’98, I bought a plain black, low-profile, Oilers’ cap with the oil drop logo. It was in tatters by the time ’06 rolled around. If I could find another one like that, I’d buy it.

11. RexLibris says:

*Spam alert*

I have a look at teams that finished in the bottom four one season relative to where they finished the following year in order to determine the frequency of big rebound years.

The short version: it is becoming more common for teams to bounce back from a bad year. Also, the 1980s Maple Leafs were a spectacle of dysfunction.

12. Snowman says:

I’ve been on the Draisatl for Hanifin train for a while. I don’t recall who proposed it but I instantly was on board. Hanifin is going to be a hell of D. He’s a great compliment for Nurse. Nurse-Hanifin, Nuge-Mcdavid and a good goaler will make you competitive for years.

Drai for Hanifin. I don’t know if Chia would even consider it or if Toronto would but Hanifin is one of the few things I’d trade Drai for.

13. thejonrmcleod says:

till_horcoff_is_coach:
    All that is left is to get Character or Martin for a few years.

I’ve heard that Character is a good guy in the room.

As for your trade idea, sounds good for the Oilers. I wonder if the Leafs don’t do it because Draisaitl has been around for a year and #4 gets you a shiny new prospect.

14. G Money says:

RexLibris,

Good stuff!

You’re pretty damn smart for a Flames fan!

*runs and hides*

15. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

thejonrmcleod: because Draisaitl has been around for a year

Another year development, and a shiny new MVP trophy from the Memorial Cup? I don’t think that’s a knock against Leon.

16. thejonrmcleod says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1),

I wasn’t knocking Draisaitl. I was trying to think as a Leafs fan might.

17. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

thejonrmcleod,

Oh jeez – why do that to yourself? Things are looking up for us, and you’re trying to find new paths to misery?

till_horcoff_is_coach,

Oilers trade Leon Draisaitl and #33 for
    #4 and Jonathan Bernier

I would do that in a millisecond.

Might represent value to TOR as well.

Might.

They have smart people there now.

spoiler:
    BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1),

Like the Gazdic deal.

It was Gazdic’s 2nd year that was considered the poison pill.

20. RexLibris says:

G Money:
    RexLibris,

Good stuff!

You’re pretty damn smart for a Flames fan!

*runs and hides*

I tell ya, G, one of these days, bang-zoom! To the moon!

21. thejonrmcleod says:

Woodguy,

Would you do that deal even if Hanifin has been taken at #3? I think I’d only do it if I could draft Hanifin.

22. spoiler says:

Woodguy: One way contracts do not protect anyone from waivers.

A player is waiver eligible based on age and/or games played.

Contract status does not factor into it at all.

Of course they don’t.

The theory is a poison pill contract like Gazdic’s where it’s one way and two years might make a team think harder before plucking a player off waivers.

I don’t think though that the Oil love Pitlick as much as they love Gazdic. Sadly.

Edit: As LT says, it’s probably not necessary, if they’re even interested in re-signing him.

thejonrmcleod:
    Woodguy,

Good question.

Not sure.

I like Provorov a lot too.

Since Bernier is coming in the package I still say yes.

24. spoiler says:

I like the trade idea, and probably would do it for either Hanifin or Provorov… possibly even Werenski with that lovely July 19 Bday.

I wonder though how Mr. Hunter rates Marner.

I also wonder if Toronto is intent on trading Phaneuf to the Avs for ROR.

25. spoiler says:

Woodguy,

Have you looked at Bernier in your studies by any chance? Would like to read, if so.

spoiler:
    Woodguy,

I pegged him as the best “available goalie” (if he’s available)

He’s in this post: http://becauseoilers.blogspot.ca/2015/05/a-look-at-top-ufa-goalies-and-some.html

From the piece:

Bernier probably isn’t available now that Nonis is gone and sanity is being introduced into the Maple Leaf organization. At 26 he is just hitting the goalie’s wheelhouse of 27-32. If he’s available I trade for him for sure. 2 years in a row with a dark green rank. If the gong show that was Toronto impacted his numbers he’s a great bet to bounce back. I rank him above Crawford and Anderson mostly due to age. He very young for such a good track record.

“Dark green” means he achieved a top 20% ranking in the NHL via Adjusted Save Percentage.

His ranks over the last year (and age)

34/48 – 22 yrs
    45/51 -23 yrs
    4/48 – 24 yrs
    9/55 – 25 yrs
    23/48 – 26 yrs

Two top 10 finishes in a row and then an off year when TOR turned into a true gongshow. His age vs. results bode for a very good next 5 years.

In my previous piece I had pegged most elite goalie’s best years as 26-32

You would be getting him during most of those years and my bet is that he stays top 15 in the aggregate over those years and he won’t be expensive vs. his results if you give him a 4-5 year deal today.

He’s an RFA coming off a $2.9MM contract.

You can probably get him to sign for $4.0 ish x 5 years which would be good value imo.

27. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Woodguy,

If hanafin is gone then it’s a moot offer as Toronto is crushing on Strome.

Draisaitl is the pretty girl dancing behind the home coming queen in this scenario and the reason I think they would be open to including Bernier in the deal.

28. Mtl-oiler says:

If we consider that there is a very limited amount of teams, 3 by my count, looking for a new starting goalie and that there is 4 solid options in the list of UFAs and that there are 2 teams that are openly looking at trading one their goaltenders. To me that spells a buyers market.

So if we want to get the best player for the lowest cost I would target the UFAs first and foremost. I keep all my picks and wait for July 1st targeting Michal Neuvirth as my top choice. I know draft picks have the highest value on draft day but I don’t consider any of the rumored goalies available to be traded to be substantially better (compared to the UFAs) to be worth a 1st or even 2nd pick that is said to be the asking price (I would consider a 3rd rounder).

If one of the other teams does trade for one of those goalies great let them spend their picks. This removes another potential bidder for the UFA goalies and thereby lowering the price and increasing the chance we can land our desired target. Even if we aren’t able to get one of the quality UFAs because they they signed elsewhere it would be good because once again this removes another trading partner for the teams wanting to trade which lowers the asking price. The way I see it It’s a win win situation if we are patient and play it right.

29. spoiler says:

Woodguy,

Thank you. I appreciate that.

Bernier looks so much better than Reimer… I can’t see them trading him.

They would really have to covet Draisaitl above their other options. But who knows, if Strome goes to ARI, then maybe they do. Stranger things have happened in The Big Smoke.

30. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: now that Nonis is gone and sanity is being introduced into the Maple Leaf organization.

Do we know this, though?

Shanahan hired his coach before his GM and while Babcock is one heck of a coach, I’m going to wait and see what Shanahan does as a hockey executive before declaring that he has rescued this organization from it’s historic dysfunction. There have been many saviours in the past, each with various levels of credibility and competence, and none have been able to overcome whatever systemic issues ail this franchise.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, just that I haven’t seen any proof of it yet. So with that in mind, what argument would you use, outside of Dubas’ CHL resume and Babcock’s coaching success in the far more stable Red Wings organization, to convince someone that the Leafs have finally got themselves figured out?

I’m not trying to throw down a gauntlet here, but rather I’m trying to say that Dubas looks good as a potential AGM, and Babcock is a very good coach, but both those individuals are just that, individuals, who are now part of a much larger organization that has made a habit of taking good to middling people in and spitting them out as bloodsoaked, media-appropriate portion sizes.

For me, the tell is the draft and free-agency.

If the Leafs make a move like Draisaitl for the Hanifin pick, that looks good. If they stay away from going after the big name free agents and nobody says anything about “quick turnaround” or bringing a Cup back to Toronto then I’ll start to give them some credit.

I have to see sanity from them before I’m willing to believe it.

Sharp is a good vet RW.

Should cost next to nothing to acquire due to CHI’s cap situation.

How about Hall-AHJ-Sharp?

32. spoiler says:

Mtl-oiler:

I think a lot of people here agree with you for the most part. However the deal proposed also brings in a blue chip defensive prospect and one of the best goalies in the league by WG’s study.

Toronto would have to be mad though. Or at least very impatient, which is a hallmark.

Judging by Woodguy’s numbers, Enroth appears to be the better target as a UFA.

He won’t cost any assets and likely will sign for reasonable term and dollars.

Nothing wrong with that.

33. Bag of Pucks says:

Mtl-oiler:

Couldn’t agree more. Leverage the market to the max. That is the way to play this.

Samsonov could feasibly slide to #33 or Vladar #57 and then you’ve got a nice prospect stable with Brossoit in the mix. You could roll a vet duo in the meantime, both on value contracts.

By all that’s holy, trade #16 for a good young D with some miles under his belt. Fast track the D corps.

One thing we should be mindful of: Teams who want to change up their G situation, like Calgary. I agree it’s a buyer’s market but Edmonton doesn’t hold all of the cards.

35. kinger_OIL says:

Pitlick – Carry on. Please. And back to Roy, he is consensus high 20’s early 30’s. Don’t be smug by pulling one guys draft pick number. Mackenzie has him where: 30 ish? He’s not 16 unless you want to prove you are smarter than the rest 5 goals come on….That’s a Loser pick, wanting to prove something, the Oil hopefully aren’t losers anymore.

36. Snowman says:

What’s the deal with this Samsanov cat? I hadn’t even heard his name until the last week and a half. Is he the second coming of Dominic Hasek or what? Why for the love of Mcdavid would anyone suggest drafting him at #16.

37. spoiler says:

Agreed. And some UFAs might prefer to be a backup on a contender, especially if all the offers are short term.

38. Ray says:

Woodguy:
    Sharp is a good vet RW.

Should cost next to nothing to acquire due to CHI’s cap situation.

How about Hall-AHJ-Sharp?

He’d be a great rw for that line. If they would take Purcell and a low pick for him then sure. But if the acquisition cost is much higher than that I’d pass so as to use the tradable assists elsewhere.

39. Klima's_Bucket says:

Woodguy,

One would think the offence starved Panthers and Dale Tallon will have first crack at bringing another ex Hawk to South Florida.

40. spoiler says:

Woodguy:
    Sharp is a good vet RW.

Should cost next to nothing to acquire due to CHI’s cap situation.

How about Hall-AHJ-Sharp?

spoiler: I think a lot of people here agree with you for the most part.However the deal proposed also brings in a blue chip defensive prospect and one of the best goalies in the league by WG’s study.

Judging by Woodguy’s numbers, Enroth appears to be the better target as a UFA.

He won’t cost any assets and likely will sign for reasonable term and dollars.

Nothing wrong with that.

I target Enroth as my backup and try to trade Scrivens in my goalie trade by holding half his salary.

kinger_OIL:
    Pitlick – Carry on.Please.And back to Roy, he is consensus high 20’s early 30’s.Don’t be smug by pulling one guysdraft pick number.Mackenzie has him where: 30 ish?He’s not 16 unless you want to prove you are smarter than the rest5 goals come on….That’s a Loser pick, wanting to prove something, the Oil hopefully aren’t losers anymore.

It’s not consensus.

Red Line Report and Pronman have very good track records and are credible evaluators.

43. Mtl-oiler says:

Not now they don’t but if you wait for the draft and the UFAs to play out you get the deck stacked more in your favor.

spoiler: That’s a lot of cap hit without G and D fixed. Maybe if Purcell was somehow disappeared to the desert or Buffalo…

Yeah, won’t fit.

I mentioned on twitter and was piled on due to the cap issues.

45. Kermodoil says:

As much as I like Draisaitl, I think I would do that trade, especially if Hanifin is still available.

If Hanifin is not available, I would consider trading down with #16, to Toronto’s #24 and Bernier, or possibly Van’s #23 and Lack. Not that I am sold on Lack as a #1 goalie, but he has potential.

That way, we keep the draft picks, drop down a bit in the 1st round, and still get a good prospect at # 23, or 24.

Klima’s_Bucket:
    Woodguy,

I agree with that.

47. Bag of Pucks says:

Stevie Y has built a fantastic hockey team but Quennenville is flat out outcoaching Cooper in this series.

48. Kermodoil says:

or how about #16 to Anaheim, for #27 and Gibson?

49. kinger_OIL says:

Woodguy: It’s not consensus.

Can’t let it go eh Woodguy: he’s consensus 21-30… Sure some have him higher. Bob is the bible.

EDIT ok – consensus 20, so why be smarter then the rest because you think you need a D after drafting a C:

kinger_OIL:

Respectfully disagree. Jeremy Roy is an outstanding prospect and the numbers I value put him that high. I think it’s fair to question my template but take issue with ‘smug’ representation here. I spend many hours on this stuff as a hobby and share it with this blog. If you don’t like it, argue the issue. Thanks.

kinger_OIL: Can’t let it go eh Woodguy: he’s consensus 21-30…Sure some have him higher.Bob is the bible.

If you keep saying things that are incorrect, I’ll keep correcting them.

If you don’t, I won’t.

Edit for addition:

I take Roy if he’s the best player available at 16, no where did I ever say I draft a D because I drafted a C at 1.

Don’t put words in my mouth please.

Bag of Pucks:

CHI is running 3 scoring line (UNICORNS!!!) and a very high quality (in terms of hockey ability) checking line with Shaw, Kruger and Desjardin.

Tonight was:

Hossa-Toews-Sharp
    Kane-Richards-Saad
    Versteeg-Vermette-Teravainen
    Kruger-Shaw-Desjardin

That’s the template ladies and gentlemen.

The Oilers are almost there with a pile of talent too.

Now about that Dcorpse and G……

Q/Bowman have done it this way for years and are about to win their 3rd Cup on 6 years and people (many of them employed to analyze hockey) still talk about “gritty energy lines” like they actually help you win.

Hope Chia is on the Bowman program in this regards.

53. Rondo says:

Interesting article on Chabot and Zboril .The GM of the Sea Dogs comments

“Both defenders appear completely different styles. Chabot is seen as a fluid skater with a stride worthy of the elite and a penchant for attack that can carry the puck from one area to another without apparent effort. His play in the defensive zone, however, requires polishing, which is not as much the case Zboril, a more complete and more reliable back who particularly likes the physical game.

“I would not say he is a bastard player, but keep your head up and stay alert at all times when approaching its territory,” nuance Marr, who Zboril is a safe bet and a project Chabot the highest potential.

Chabot, who said he felt a special interest Canadiens, Senators and Flames at recent meetings he conducted with some twenty teams in the National League.”

54. slopitch says:

THIC: I do that trade if Hanifan is available.

If Hanifan goes 3 I’m not sure it makes sense for Toronto. From an Oilers perspective it also makes less sense. Drai had a great run and seems to be the kind of dominant 2way forward the oilers need. It would depend on what other goal options are available. IE can you get Talbot or Gibson?

We are seeing in the playoffs again that the players that make the biggest difference in the game are defensemen. If you can get Hanifan at that price, you do it.

55. Woogie63 says:

Oilers are going to have find a few spots for some skilled grit – Pitlick, Pakarinen, Hendrick, Klinkhammer all can skate, hit and go to the corners and get the puck.

Right now we have 8-9 Lady Bing type forwards and 6 Lady Bing type defenceman … IMO that will be too easy to play against

Woogie63:

Skilled grit has to post offense. Oilers don’t have much of it.

57. Woogie63 says:

Adding McDavid, and maybe Slepyshev to last years team, is adding more smaller skilled forwards, which has been pointed out as an issue with the team make up.

We will add a big Driasaitl, whose big body is great, but he hasn’t show much snarl in his game.

58. Shafty19 says:

Have to agree with most here that if trading Draisaitl and 33 for #4 (Hanifin) and Bernier was an option, the Oilers would be wise to pull the trigger.

One aspect of this year’s Chicago team that is undermentioned IMO is how stop-gap their centers are. Brad Richards on a one-year deal as a UFA and Vermette as a deadline pickup as their 2 and 3 C – and now they’re one win away from Stanley!

Obviously Toews makes a monstrous difference in the middle of the ice but they obviously don’t make it this far without their strength on D and reasonable stability in G.

So if Chicago can do it with Toews and (albeit good) fill-ins at C, I think the Edmonton should be OK at C with the son of Mary and Baby Nuge, provided the back end is done right. So if the Oilers can cash some of that strength at C for help at D *and* G, Peaches should make it so.

(This is also a case study in why we’re always preaching to draft the BPA.)

59. OF17 says:

Woogie63:

Of those guys, Pakarinen is the only one I feel reasonably okay with in a top-6 role, and even then, that’s only as an injury replacement. Our gritty top-9 forwards are Pouliot, Lander, and ideally whoever we sign or trade for for the extra forward. My personal favorite is Mark Letestu. In addition, Hall and Yakupov can hold their own in the physicality department. That’s all you really need. You don’t need to dominate physical play, you just can’t be dominated.

In the top-9, Chicago has Toews, Shaw, and Saad as legitimately gritty guys and Hossa as a guy who can hold his own. I’m assuming Vermette is gone this summer.

Not every team needs to be the Anaheim Ducks. The Oilers at forward have enough to be okay in the physicality department, which is really all they need. They’re not going to win on size and strength; it’s going to be on skill and speed if anything.

60. OF17 says:

What do we think of this sequence of moves?

MTL 2nd 2015 for Trevor Daley

Pakarinen-Gazdic

Daley-Michalek
    Klefbom-Fayne
    Marincin-Schultz

Talbot
    Scrivens

Pretty decent team that doesn’t break the bank in the short or long term. Should be a nice improvement over last season. Daley adds offense, Michalek stabilizes the pairing, Letestu complements Lander and Purcell well, and Talbot is a good bet to be a starter, all while adding the best talent since Crosby and a usual top 8-10 talent. Oh, and we keep Nurse and Draisaitl.

Could be a good summer to be conservatively aggressive. Look for cheap, effective guys whose current clubs might not value as highly as they should. I’d argue Daley, Michalek, Talbot, and Letestu are perfect examples of that.

61. Numenius says:

OF17,

I like the way you think. It’s a bit optimistic trade-wise, but still plausible.

The one thing I’d be tempted to change is to switch Letestu with Soderberg, but that does depart from your very reasonable philosophy.

62. spoiler says:

Daley’s numbers look like he’s getting slaughtered out there to my eye. Far worse CA/60 than even Schultz and horrific compared to the rest of his team. He has a nice P/60, but rode an scorching shooting percentage to put up a career high total. He’s 32 in the first month of next season. I don’t think this is the droid we’re looking for.

63. spoiler says:

I’m concerned too that since St. Loo is letting Jackman go, they’re going to sign Michalek prior to July 1 (and dump salary at F).

I hope they don’t, but I think they will.

64. AsiaOil says:

Pitlick is the kind of bottom 6 guy you make room for – ready after a few years in the AHL and plays a tough game. Pit, Klink and Pak are all on my roster since we will lose the Purcell and Hendricks contracts next year – we need cheap functional bottom 6 going forward. I like the dressing 7 dmen model, especially if one guy is a hybrid winger/dmen, and prefer our extra centers to play wing rather than sit in the press box. Keep wingers like Pak, Pit and Klink rotating in and out to keep their energy levels up over the long season. We need more guys like Pitlick not less.

As for the Drai for Hanifin model – only do it if Bernier is part of the package. We need a 22 or 23 year old dman now not another teenager – and Chia knows this. Drai is a high draft pick who has progressed nicely and gives us a ton of flexibility up front – you don’t give that up for another pick which sends you backwards not forwards. Get out of the futures mindset people, it may not be “win now” but it’s “win soon”. Now is the time to trade picks like #16 and the Montreal 2nd rounder for established players who we lost to obtain the picks. These picks are currency to be spent wisely not hoarded.

65. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

OF17,

Trevor Daley is not a good hockey player. Do not want, especially at that cost. Awful defensively, older, injury prone and rode a career high shooting percentage this year. He is Niki Nikitin 2.0. Otherwise, sign me up.

66. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

AsiaOil,

Hanifin is an exception, I think, as well. He should step in next year and perform well, a la Ekblad, if partnered with the right veteran.

67. leadfarmer says:

kinger_OIL,

If by consensus you mean a large amount of variability between the guys ranked 10-30 then yes you would be correct. This draft has the least amount of “consensus” after the top 6 that I remember seeing.

Looking at Brandon Saad, he is everything that Tyler Pitlick was supposed to become. Le Sigh.

68. Pouzar says:

I am with AsisOil….No to Drai for Hanifin. Only way I unload Drai is for Hamilton who is 21 and already blowing big blue bubbles.

69. square_wheels says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

Agree on Daley, never seen the allure of a smallish, poor defensively and injury prone player.

Haven’t we all agreed that Chia needs to manage this monstrous task of improving the D in one of 2 ways – cash for UFA’s or trade from position of strength (sorry Yak).

Throw short term over pays at Martin, Sekera, Michalek or even Green.
    Trade Yak (love the person, confounded by the player) for a Spurgeon, Ellis type or in a pckg for Staal, Talbot.
    The Hanifan / Drai trade intrigues, straight up I’d make that deal.

70. square_wheels says:

Pouzar,

No team in this league is trading Hamilton, never. Same situation for Carlson, Josi, etc.. Top 2 D in their prime…..it’s just not happening.

We need to aim lower and preserve pics. I’d rather throw cash at UFA’s to shelter/mentor Nurse, Klef and Marincin.

Chia did say he was going to evaluate first before making big deals, but then again this draft may make some teams crazy for a player.

71. Shafty19 says:

Notable point from McKenzie’s column from yesterday:

“Amongst those expected to be available on July 1 are: Pittsburgh's Paul Martin and Christian Ehrhoff; Los Angeles’s Andrej Sekera; Chicago’s Johnny Oduya; and, Washington’s Mike Green, amongst others.”

Looks like despite what Lombardi was trying to do, Sekera may see UFA. Lots of good options here for Edmonton to sign good D and preserve some assets.

Link: http://www.tsn.ca/talent/on-kessel-free-agents-trades-and-more-1.307528

72. frjohnk says:

Pouzar:

Think of it this way. If you are Boston do you trade a young player who is nearing the status of a number 1 D man on a team that may believe they are still in the “win now” mode for a guy who has the potential to be a number 1 center but is at least 2-3 years from that mode?

Hamilton has way more value than Draisaitl right now.

Theyd want Draisaitl and Klefbom. Not a trade I like.

73. Mr DeBakey says:

Pouzar: I am with AsisOil….No to Drai for Hanifin.

Don’t forget Bernier!
    Intriguing idea.

Montreal must shed some salary.
    Gilbert should be available [a serviceable RHD]

74. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

Who has more cache -Drai or Eberle? Eberle is established as a top scoring winger, is known because of his Canada heroics, which may also read ‘clutch’ to some hockey minds. His contract is decent more or less. Drai can play RW and brings size as well even if he’s not physical.

Eberle plus 33 is a big haul, or Eberle plus Marincin plus a later pick. That’s in the convo for a quality D or established young G. That’s the direction I’d move, I don’t think the team would miss a beat.

75. Pouzar says:

frjohnk: Think of it this way.If you are Boston do you trade a young player who is nearing the status of a number 1 D man on a team that may believe they are still in the “win now” mode for a guy who has the potential to be a number 1 center but is at least 2-3 years from that mode?

Hamilton has way more value than Draisaitl right now.

Theyd want Draisaitl and Klefbom.Not a trade I like.

I don’t think Boston does that deal No. I am merely stating that’s what I would want for a big insanely skilled Center and doing this trade makes the present cluster even younger. I love Hanifin but Defensemen taken in the Top 5 are no bargain as we’ve discussed here.

76. bobinyvr says:

I understand the “you gotta give to get” idea to improve the roster, but I can’t get onside with the many of these Draisaitl trade proposals.

It seems that he’s viewed as someone who’s failing or not progressed as expected.

Consider Draisaitl has played longer into the spring than ANY Oilers player or prospect since Hall.
    And he won two MVP awards in championship tourneys.

Out of his 2014 draft class, only Eklad has knocked it out of the park in the NHL so far.

If you trade Draisaitl , then who is your number 3 centre next year and beyond (with Gordon gone, Lander 4C)? Yakimov? Ewanyk? Chase?

I’m not sure that Draisaitl won’t be a better fit at centre in the Western Conference or with the McDavid cluster than RNH. But imagine having ALL three.

And yes, oh god yes, we need D and goaltending.

BTW, Bernier was traded to the Leafs from Kings on June 23, 2013, in exchange for Ben Scrivens, Matt Frattin and a second-round draft pick in either 2014 or 2015. Last year, Scrivens was well Scrivens and Frattin played in the AHL. Pick (in this years draft) was flipped by LA.

I would have interest in Bernier, but with the 2nd round pick at 57 or 2016 2nd (and marginal prospect, if required). Remember he’s an RFA and not signed yet. Leafs haven’t gone outa their way to lock him up and he’s gonna want to get paid.

77. MrSmitty says:

Staples just tweeted ” Martin Marincin was scratched for David Musil in AHL playoffs. # Discuss # Oilers”

I said he was injured which I believe to be true. But I am huge Marincin fan. Don’t like the media bashing him.