MBS VS KP ROUND THREE: 2003 VS. 2010

In his fascinating book THE ROAD TO HOCKEYTOWN, Jimmy Devellano talks about the goal of a scouting director and his staff:

• ‘We’re trying to determine if the player can get to the next level, that’s the real job. Most people can sit and watch a game and tell you who the best player on the ice is, but the good scout will be able to judge whether or not  a player can go a step or two higher. We in the hockey business call it projecting. “

The Oilers are now on their third draft guru (Bob Green) and we’re looking forward to seeing what he can bring later this month. In the interim, let’s continue our annual look at the ghosts of drafts past, in this case 2003 and 2010. Each year represented the third year for  Kevin Prendergast and Stu MacGregor and each year offered the scouting staff their best chance to impact the team’s future. In both cases, there was impressive success and a lot of waste.

• Round One: 2001 versus 2008. I gave the edge to Eberle’s group over the Hemsky plan. Read here.
  • Round Two: 2002 versus 2009. I had the Stoll men ahead of Paajarvi’s heroes. Read here.

We enter this year’s look with one for Prendergast (2002) and one for MacGregor (2008). Let’s proceed.

KEVIN PRENDERGAST 2003

• Success in the first 100 selections of each draft (1st round): In the first round of the 2003 draft, GM Kevin Lowe and the brass traded down, allowing the NJD to select Zach Parise. When Edmonton finally stepped to the podium, it was Marc-Antoine Pouliot who got the call at No. 22. In one of the deepest first rounds in modern history, Kevin Prendergast whiffed. We can bitch and moan about the trade all we want, but the fact remains it was damn near impossible to screw up in the first 30 picks, 2003. A major down arrow for the Poo selection and I’m absolutely aware of the injuries over the years. Pouliot had a concussion in the prospects game, and the Oilers were staring at Mike Richards, Ryan Kesler and Corey Perry. Massive error.
  • Success in the first 100 selections of each draft (2nd round):In the second round, Edmonton called out the name of EJHL star Colin McDonald at No. 51, bypassing prospects playing in more established leagues in search of the elusive power forward/Coke machine. Edmonton repeated the Coke machine bet later in round two, when Jean-Francois Jacques was selected at No. 68. Both players would go on to play over 150 games (McDonald is still going) but they did not deliver great value for Edmonton. McDonald’s first NHL game didn’t come until 2009 and he’s been a role player in the show. Jacques’ career was shorter, owing to injury but he didn’t get much done for a big, fast guy. Two more misses in a shockingly deep draft.
  • Success in the first 100 selections of each draft (3rd round): Zach Stortini was chosen No. 94 and in many ways represents the best value among those chosen in the top 100 in 2003. The big, rugged winger had limited ability but performed well in 257 games, fittingly exceeding Pouliot, McDonald and Jacques in NHL games. It isn’t much consolation, but this was a fine pick where it landed.
  • Success in what Devellano calls “projecting”: The Oilers projected Pouliot into a skill role but his first NHL coach tried (unsuccessfully) talking him into a checking role. The two Coke machine bets were off the grid—McDonald’s league doesn’t exist anymore!—and poor based on the talent available from more established leagues. Zero points for projection, this was a hammer draft in a skill season. Ghastly.
  • Success in addressing team needs beyond the first round. In the seventh round, Edmonton scored their best player in Kyle Brodziak, chosen No. 214 overall. He didn’t play for Edmonton during the heart of his career (another stupid draft day decision would rob Edmonton of Brodziak early in his NHL career) but his 621 NHL games rank him 24th among 2003 draftees.

Epic fail. San Jose drafted Milan Michalek, Joe Pavelski, Matt Carle and Steve Bernier. Nashville grabbed Ryan Suter, Shea Weber and Kevin Klein. Anaheim drafted Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Shane O’brien and Drew Miller. Edmonton lost way more than the Parise trade on 2003 draft weekend.

• OVERALL GRADE: F (24%)

marincinferguson

STU MACGREGOR 2010

• Success in the first 100 selections of each draft (1st round): Taylor Hall was No. 1 overall and has covered the bet. MacGregor was never going to get credit for it but I also think we can observe this selection as a positive overall. So, I’ll give some style points here.
  • Success in the first 100 selections of each draft (2nd round): Edmonton selected three players in round two: Tyler Pitlick at No. 31, Martin Marincin at No. 46 and Curtis Hamilton at No. 48 overall. As a group, these selections have not covered the bet and that’s a big deal. Of the 30 selections in round two 2010, seven have played 80 or more games—Martin Marincin being the only Oiler player in that group. Marincin’s potential can be viewed as a small positive but the fact he has not yet established himself obscures the positives. Pitlick and Hamilton have not worked out as hoped, both unlikely to be regulars on a contending Oilers team (when that day comes).
  • Success in the first 100 selections of each draft (3rd round): Ryan Martindale was chosen No. 61 overall and has yet to play in the NHL. Edmonton shipped him out for a few miles of Steve Pinizzotto, so a small positive arrow in this area. Martindale as a prospect hasn’t moved the needle, so no credit there.
  • Success in what Devellano calls “projecting”: I’ll never get agreement on this but will give the organization credit for taking Taylor over Tyler. Although Hall is a LW, Seguin is now mostly a RW and Hall’s ability to push the river from about December 2010 has been the money item for Oilers fans. I also think the club did a nice job with Marincin, although the organization’s management and coaching staff don’t value him as they should. On the other hand, both Pitlick and Hamilton are shy offensively in pro hockey and that’s a very poor projection for picks that high in a good draft.
  • Success in addressing team needs beyond the first round. Brandon Davidson was chosen No. 162 overall and is building a resume that may see him arrive as an NHL player in the next two seasons. This shouldn’t be viewed as a slam dunk—Kyle Brodziak had 96 NHL games at the same age (Davidson has 12)—but it’s another good arrow for the 2010 draft.

The Oilers had the No. 1 overall selection and cashed it on Taylor Hall. If you expect me to view that as a negative, you’re new to the blog. That said, how much credit do the scouts deserve there? I think we have to discount the positives (as described above) and agree the overall quality of the draft needed to be much stronger for the Hall cluster to have enormous impact. Hall’s a beauty, Marincin, Pitlick and Davidson may help, but it should have been much more.

• OVERALL GRADE: C- (62%)

60 Responses to "MBS VS KP ROUND THREE: 2003 VS. 2010"

1. zatch says:

It’s been said a million times before, but lets say it one more time. The complete failure of the ’03 draft did more to sewer the Oilers future in 48 hours than any other 2 day period.

Still make my blood boil

2. WeirsBeard says:

Once again injuries and the role they play in derailing prospects.

WeirsBeard:
    Once again injuries and the role they play in derailing prospects.

4. pts2pndr says:

I am not convinced that in the case of Hamilton and Martindale the mistake was one of drafting but more one of development or lack thereof. They should have either been left in junior for their overage year and or given a chance to play when assigned to OKC. Sitting on the bench the first year only developed their butts. Best steak in the world just left on the counter instead of being put on the barbecue rots!

5. John Chambers says:

Seguin is an absolute party animal. My buddy just spent 10 days with him in Prague and while Hall and Eberle laid low and enjoyed time on a line with Crosby, Seguin strolled tatted-up around Praha, posing with chicks and drinking $2000 bottles of vodka like a rockstar.

That didn’t fly in Boston, but Stars owner Tom Gaglardi thinks he’s hilarious, having paid for Seguin’s “murder black” custom paint job on his whip, and treating him and kid brother Cody Eakin to some posh river cruises and 5-star meals on off days.

In light of that it’s easy to see why the Oilers picked the more focused Hall. And while Hall and Ebs have been to a few bars, their antics pale in comparison to Seguin’s entourage of smoking buddies who joined him at the tail end of the tourney to hit up Amsterdam and Barcelona for a romp through Leidseplein and the Ramblas.

After hearing about all this all I wish I could do is transport myself back to bring 8 years old so that I could train my ass off for a shot at the show.

6. vishcosity says:

Could be worse:

NYR 2003 –

12. Hugh Jessiman – 2GP
    50. Ivan Baranka – 1GP
    75. Kenny Roche – 0GP

NYR 2010 –

10. Dylan Macilrath – 3GP
    21. Christian Thomas – 21GP
    100. Andrew Yogan – 0GP

7. D says:

The 2003 draft should have resulted in the dismissal of the entire scouting staff and a good chunk of Oilers’ management. Remember, they were the smartest men in the room, and it showed.

8. WeirsBeard says:

Lowetide: It’s an issue but I think looking back Edmonton left too much skill on the table in both years. The more I look at this, the more I value a CHL forward who posts 1/1 points-per-game or higher. Thus my post on Mr. Speers yesterday.

So you’re saying the major injury was Oilers management, and was of the brain variety? 🙂

WeirsBeard: So you’re saying the major injury was Oilers management, and was of the brain variety? :)

10. D says:

Lowetide: lol. I followed Poo all the way down the line and he showed signs but never the offensive acumen of the others available in the 2003 draft.

I sometimes wonder if the Oilers acquired Benoit just to clear the stench of Marc-Antoine from the minds of fans.

11. Bag of Pucks says:

John Chambers:

Messier partied like a Viking back in the day.

12. Bag of Pucks says:

“The Oiler are now on their third draft guru.”

Prendergast, Magnificent, Green.

Are we writing Fraser out of the history books now cos of ‘The Mexico Years?’

Bag of Pucks:
    “The Oiler are now on their third draft guru.”

Prendergast, Magnificent, Green.

Are we writing Fraser out of the history books now cos of ‘The Mexico Years?’

No. Fraser is an avatar.

Bag of Pucks: Doesn’t seem to hurt Seguin’s game much. Some people thrive on working hard and partying hard.

Mike Richards is done at 30. Partying takes its toll.

15. Bag of Pucks says:

godot10: Mike Richards is done at 30.Partying takes its toll.

16. Pajamah says:

vishcosity:
    Could be worse:

NYR 2003 –

12. Hugh Jessiman – 2GP
    50.Ivan Baranka – 1GP
    75.Kenny Roche – 0GP

NYR 2010 –

10.Dylan Macilrath – 3GP
    21.Christian Thomas – 21GP
    100. Andrew Yogan – 0GP

2010 gave Edmonton their former-future-cornerstone (although an extremely important piece), otherwise what a depressing 2 draft years for both teams. Like the Petry mishandling cost MacT his job, I’m certain 2003 ended up costing KP his. How you miss in 2003, injuries or not, is absolutely catastrophic.

Here is a bag of gold and jewels. Close your eyes and pull out a Poo.

17. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

vishcosity:
    Could be worse:

NYR 2003 –

12. Hugh Jessiman – 2GP
    50.Ivan Baranka – 1GP
    75.Kenny Roche – 0GP

NYR 2010 –

10.Dylan Macilrath – 3GP
    21.Christian Thomas – 21GP
    100. Andrew Yogan – 0GP

Proof that you either need good drafting, or jackal trading. Preferably both.

Bag of Pucks: I don’t know about you, but as I age, I regret more the things I didn’t do than the things I did.

I was just making an observation, not a moral judgement about his choices. Richards has Stanley Cup rings, and is a multi-millioniare. He may have accomplished what he wanted to in hockey.

But he is pretty much done as a hockey player at 30.

19. Yak2 says:

“This shouldn’t be viewed as a slam dunk—Kyle Brodziak had 96 NHL games at the same age (Davidson has 12)—but it’s another good arrow for the 2010 draft.”

You can’t compare a defenseman to a forward. I wouldn’t consider it a slam dunk either, but it sure is going to be one of those late round finds (FINALLY!) that’s going to help down the line when we’re in the playoffs.

Yak2:

Brodziak was more established at 23, he’d played an entire season in the NHL.

21. Concur says:

Hopefully with the addition of PC the Oilers will not be “gifting” roster spots to players anymore and have a true developmental system for players not selected in the top 5. I really thought that there would be a change when MacT was brought in, but I was appalled when he didn’t address the center issue before training camp.

22. misfit says:

MBS is lucky not to have a worse grade on this draft. I remember on Oil change when they showed the footage of this draft, they were showing some of the scouting meetings. They had decided on Hall (the right call) and then went on to discuss players they though were worth trading back into the 1st for. Those names? Gudbranson, Skinner, McIlrath, and Campbell. Skinner turned out well, but the rest of that group are a dog’s breakfast. Giving up the necessary assets to move as high as needed to actually get one of those guys would’ve turned out to be a major black eye on the scouting staff. The Oilers’ famously ineffective attempts at trading up on draft day saved them on that day.

23. square_wheels says:

godot10,

And is going to get paid 20M to do sweet FA someday soon. That LA cap,situation is capital G-Ross.

Edit – 23M remains on Richards contract, I’d gives zero fucks as well if my body was trashed. The thing most people don’t realize that an entire life of hockey can work for many players but for some, the toll of a physical game has its breaking point and it can come at any time.

24. square_wheels says:

Duncan Keith has 2 gears.

4th and 5th.

What a beauty player.

25. Rondo says:

square_wheels,

DunConnKeith

26. Dashingsilverfox says:

“Success in what Devellano calls “projecting”: I’ll never get agreement on this but will give the organization credit for taking Taylor over Tyler. Although Hall is a LW, Seguin is now mostly a RW”

This is not close to accurate.

Seguin and Benn (who was previously a centre) switch up depending on which side of the ice they are on.

Seguin also doesn’t take PP face-offs since he plays the point on the PP.

Once Nichuskin returns from hip surgery, Seguin will return to his natural position.

Seguin is a better winger and a better centre.

Benn- Seguin – Nichuskin will be the best top line in the league.

27. Ray says:

Dashingsilverfox:

This is not close to accurate.

Seguin also doesn’t take PP face-offs since he plays the point on the PP.

Seguin is a better winger and a better centre.

Benn- Seguin – Nichuskin will be the best top line in the league.

Hi DSF!

28. Dashingsilverfox says:

And yet Seguin scored more goals than anyone at the WC and likely would’ve have won the Art Ross if not injured.

Go figure.

29. square_wheels says:

Dashingsilverfox,

I’m not going to argue the Hall / Seguin point, as statistically he has been slightly better and he’s more versatile. Of all the top 2 pics these 2 remain extremely close in value. My concern with Hall would be injury and with Seguin, lifestyle as mentioned.

Earlier today it was mentioned Hall could develop into a Marian Hossa if he commits to back checking. The large issue I have with that is Hossa is a LOAD, where as Hall is a very tippy player, he’s always on his knees or ass. Hall has some strange undiagnosed skating flaw, he seems to be too far above his tips, which gains him speed quickly but makes him easy to knock over. Hossa on the other hand is impossible to push around.

30. frjohnk says:

When the Hawks win the cup tonight
    Keith is MVP

31. square_wheels says:

Dashingsilverfox,

It hurts but it’s true, Seguin is a hell of a player. Regardless Hall is a difference maker and I don’t think he’s found his Benn.

McD and Hall are a terrifying thought coming through the neutral zone with speed though, not many D are going to be able to do much more than give them too much gap and that’s going to leave a high man a lot of gift chances. That right wing better have a nack for finding quiet ice cuz he’s gonna score a lot of easy goals.

32. Ray says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    And yetSeguin scored more goals than anyone at the WC and likelywould’ve have won the Art Rossif not injured.

Go figure.

While you make a good point I believe everyone is a product of there environment. If Edmonton had selected Tyler what would have happened to him and his development? While no one I know has a crystal ball I am 95% sure that the Oilers made the correct pick.

33. square_wheels says:

frjohnk,

Damn well better be! Ice tilter extraordinare.

34. Dashingsilverfox says:

square_wheels:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Benn-Seguin- Nichushkin will be better for a very long time.

35. striatic says:

Dashingsilverfox:

Go figure.

Did Hall draw tougher opposition after being paired with Crosby at the WC?

I think it is easier to say Seguin is the better player right now, and most likely true, but both players are productive enough that it isn’t clear cut yet.

36. square_wheels says:

Dashingsilverfox,

If you define very long as at least 3 years, then yes I can buy that. Again it boils down to balance, and it pains me to say it but Nail hasn’t shown he reads plays well enough, let alone be able to check well enough, to be the RH on that line. I would love to see a RW Pouliot.

But this all shit to worry about when we have an actual NHL D lineup and a reliable goalie.

God dammit I ended up pissed off over Petry again. I blame you DSF 🙂

37. frjohnk says:

square_wheels:
    frjohnk,

Damn well better be! Ice tilter extraordinare.

He is helluva d man. Love his play

38. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Some centers aren’t centers unless you’re caught in the longest, strangest, least necessary argument since cream of wheat vs paste.

Also, apparently my neighbor who has never had blonde hair (not even dyed as such) is a “natural” blonde.

39. kinger_OIL says:

square_wheels:
    Dashingsilverfox,

I’ve been too scared to say somthing about Hall’s skating on this site: but there is something distinctive about it, that’s for sure – I would not be surprised to find out that he does fall at a higher rate. Love the player though and could be all-world with you know who…

40. oliveoilers says:

Dashingsilverfox: Benn- Seguin – Nichuskin will be the best top line in the league.

Recorded for posterity.

This is the hill you’re choosing?

They will be good….but not the best.

I’m actually surprised you chose to go fishing with that line. Monahan-Jonny H-Bennett would have got far more bites.

41. square_wheels says:

kinger_OIL,

He has always been a player on his ass FAR too much for my liking, it’s not even something needing tracking. All things aside, he’s still a top 10 LW and will be for years and I’m 100% a massive supporter.

And yes, the Tyler/Taylor argument is ridiculous. Fighting over 2 elite but very different players is like fighting over blondes vs brunette’s.

42. Mtl-oiler says:

If Oilers in 2010 had chosen Seguin I would have been screaming bloody murder because I really thought Hall was by far and away the better more dynamic player.
    Now after 5 years and especially after last year it’s not even close. Seguin is a better player in all aspects without question.
    I really hope Hall can bounce back next year and put up some monster numbers with McDavid but it’s also a question of how many games will he play. 70? 60? 50? Unfortunately that’s been the story of his career so far.

43. square_wheels says:

Hey DSF, our boy Tyler Johnson really being missed by Cooper. Tbay has the depth but the injuries and inexperience is showing.

44. kinger_OIL says:

square_wheels,

Betty over Veronica: no debate.

45. square_wheels says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Cream of wheat with brown sugar is miles in front of paste. Seriously, not a good argument with this hot cereal aficionado.

46. square_wheels says:

kinger_OIL,

I will fight Romulus over cereal though.

47. Ray says:

Congratulations to the 2015 Chicago Blackhawks!

48. frjohnk says:

Kane puts the nail in the coffin.

But before that goal, TBs Coburn had his stick break on a snapshot from top of the circle. Odd man rush the other way and Kane scores.

Wonder when a team will invest in the unbreakable stick?

Not that Coburn would have scored if his stick didn’t break, but it wouldn’t have led to the odd man rush and goal the other way.

49. square_wheels says:

Either team winning was fine be me, these teams play exciting hockey and that’s what we pay to see.

What can we learn from the Hawks ? Fill the funnel with good players, and make deadline trades to fill holes.

And don’t sign gritastical players like Bickell.

50. Pouzar says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 37s37 seconds ago
    Stanley Cup is not in the building right now. On its way. Weather-related/traffic issues. Should be here soon, I’m told.

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 14s14 seconds ago
    Cup has now arrived

51. Chris says:

I do like that the final was Tampa Bay versus Chicago. Perhaps it will dampen the refrain from Gregor et al about how you need bigger guys who can’t play hockey on the Oilers considering two skilled finesse teams just played for the cup. The Oilers problem hasn’t been over the past 8 years that they had too many small players. Its been that they had too many players who were not good enough at playing hockey.

52. Pouzar says:

Chris:

This.

53. square_wheels says:

Pouzar,

Don’t sign Gritastical Players !!!!

54. frjohnk says:

Chris:

Yup.

Chicago is one of the smallest teams.
    But also one of the most skilled.

55. Chris says:

Which is not to say that I’m opposed to adding guys like Stewart or Stafford to the line up if the price is right. As much like Pouliot a bigger body whom has a range of skills is a useful addition to the team. However, the local media with our present host excluded have fetishized size as some sort of panacea to the Oilers’ hockey woes. But really what they should have been talking about is why we have players whom can’t score goals or play good defense. The problem with such a player you can call him Robert or Sam if you like, wasn’t that he was small. It was that he just wasn’t good enough at playing hockey to fill the role assigned for him.

56. Pouzar says:

That 70’s Hair.

57. frjohnk says:

Do I know my hockey or what?

In the middle of the 3rd period I said when the Hawks win the cup, Keith would be MVP.

And guess what?

I was right.

Stay tuned for more predictions that turn out 100% right.

*above comment may or may not have been fueled by beer*

58. Snowman says:

Dashingsilverfox: Benn-Seguin- Nichushkin will be better for a very long time.

I had no idea two years was a very long time.

59. square_wheels says:

Ok I’m done already, congrats Hawks blah blah.

Suck it western conference were drafting McAwesome Woooooooooooooooootttttttt !!!!!!!!!!!L

60. Kitchener says:

What’s more valuable for a team sporting McD, RNH, Drai & Lander at centre from 2015-2020? A 3C named Seguin or a 1LW named Taylor Hall?

Positional argument aside, I wouldn’t trade Hall for Seguin any day of the week. Seguin is a really good player, but 4 is no slouch either.