NEVER KEPT A DOLLAR PAST SUNSET

We’re blessed with some fine talent when it comes to assessing goalies and as we lead up to the draft and free agency, some interesting voices have been shouting out (here and elsewhere). Allow me to grab a snippet from four different voices (apologies if you’re not included) discussing Cam Talbot:

• Matt Henderson, Oilers Nation: He’s most definitely still worth a gamble, but the gamble should be allowing him to begin next season as the starter. The gamble should not be that he is worth paying an extreme price for. He is guaranteed to be nothing more than a long term rental.That fact cannot be lost in the excitement of the chase. Source
  • Darcy McLeod, BecauseOilers: Talbot is trending to be an elite goalie. By a few different SV% metrics Talbot’s peers appear to be Price, Quick, Holtby, and Rask.  Pretty high end company to keep. He is available for trade this summer and will be traded. (Lundqvist’s contract, Talbot’s 1 year contract,  and NYR’s lack of a 1st rounder make this almost a certainty). Source.
  • G Money: What he’s done is so good and so unusual sixty games in that for that to be a mirage would take a conspiracy. I’ve run all kinds of datasets in all kinds of situations in the world of hockey, and few (well … none) have been this unequivocal.At this point, I would be absolutely shocked if Talbot does not turn into an elite NHL goalie. Shocked.
  • AsiaOil: I’m actually warming up to Talbot a bit now that I have an actual comparable that turned out well. Still would not offer more than the Petry picks because of the UFA issue – if he plays well for half a season he will cost >$4 million with term to resign (average starter money) and would still be considered unproven and risky. Would also be good if we had a decent vet to pair with him as a 1A/1B. So for all of those reasons I’d still pass and look at other options.

The last two comments were from previous threads on this blog and the other two are credited. For those who don’t know, AsiaOil has long established that he’s able to suss out goalies better than many, so I’ve watched the conversation closely between the group above (and others) across the Oilogosphere. My own bias (I don’t think we have enough on Talbot, for example) are less important to me than the overall conversation. I don’t want to give up No. 16 for Cam Talbot, would be comfortable with No. 33 and suspect Sather will get No. 33 overall this season and a second-round pick in 2016 IF the Oilers sign Talbot. That’s my line in the sand.

When I’m trying to figure out goalies, I look at even-strength save percentage from the most recent season. Here are some possible goalie options, with last season’s EV SP:

1. Devan Dubnyk .934
  2. Cam Talbot .931
  3. Craig Anderson .930
  4. Jonas Hiller .927
  5. Michal Neuvirth .926
  6. Brian Elliott .925
  7. Antti Niemi .922
  8. Eddie Lack .922
  9. Jonathan Bernier .921
  10. Jhonas Enroth .915

We know the sample size for Talbot has been questioned, with some feeling it’s not a massive issue—certainly not enough to stay away from Talbot. We know some of these gents are fairly long in the tooth, or free agents, or will never come here hello Devan Dubnyk. How confident are we these players will duplicate this number next season? In 2013-14, Martin Jones was .949 but I can’t find anyone (beyond myself or Travis Yost) who thinks he’s much good at all.

Here’s my question to you: If the price tag is No. 33 overall and a conditional second-round pick (2016) for Cam Talbot, would you do it? The condition on the extra pick would be a signed Talbot. Would you do it?

•  Peter Chiarelli: “There’s a couple of groups of goalies out there. I’m not averse to either of the types of groups. You’ve got some younger, smaller sample size guys, you’ve got some more proven guys. For me it’s about fitting in too how we improve our D and how we’re going to play defensively. At the end of the day it takes two to tango so you’ve got to get the right deal in place. I’m not averse to going to the free agent market either, whether it’s the trade market or the free agent market. We’re going to play better defensively, we hoped to improve our defence. Our defensemen will improve, the defensive lay will improve. This goalie thing we’ve been looking at it very closely and it’s tough. You see some of the trades of goalies in the past, you don’t know how they’re going to pop. We ended up getting Rask in Boston and we were able to bring him along slowly until he was ready. Sometimes you’re not. At the same time we weren’t able to bring Michael Hutchinson along slowly and he popped for Winnipeg. It’s a real inexact science and you’ve really got to go to the character of the goalie and how the team’s going to play defensively. My guess is we’ll probably be able to do something before the draft but I’m not completely sure.” Source

I think it’s more than tough, it’s damn near impossible. Then again, I’m an Oilers fan and the truth—the painful truth—is this team hasn’t been blessed with great goaltending often 1991+. The Oilers are about the bat, not the leather. Perhaps this will be Chiarelli’s major contribution to the club.

Makes sense. I am on record as having serious doubts about the wisdom of trading for Lehner, who at one time was considered to be one of the best young prospects in the NHL. The concussion and recent performance are red flags, and I’m not certain “he’s fine now” cuts it as a clean bill of health. If the Oilers do hire MacLean and THEN trade for Lehner, I’ll feel a little better about the whole thing.

CHIARELLI’S LIST

1. Draft McDavid (and sign him)
  2. Find a quality goalie option (this is the Talbot/Lehner item)
  3. Acquire a legit top pairing blue (as always, clear as mud days before bullets fly. Dougie Hamilton=perfect fit)
  4. Sign a more offensive two-way F (I’m hoping for Soderberg)
  5. Ignore MacT re: Marincin (Or trade Marincin for real value and not a damn pick)

The additions here (basically a goalie, two defensemen and two forwards) isn’t enough but it’s a start. During his first season as GM (after the games began) Chiarelli was quite active and I think we may see that kind of ongoing tinker with this team. Here are the prominent Chiarelli moves after opening night:

• Traded a third-round pick (Maxime Macenauer) to Anaheim for Stanislav Chistov. Chistov spent 60 games with the Bruins before heading back home, the draft pick remains in the AHL at 26.
  • Traded forward Tyler Redenbach to Arizona for goalie Phillip Sauve, who played in a couple of Bruins games. Redenbach didn’t make it.
  • Traded Wade Brookbank for nothing.
  • Traded Yan Stastny to St. Louis for a draft pick (Dennis Reul).
  • Traded Milan Jurcina for the pick that turned into TJ Brodie
  • Traded Kris Versteeg to Chicago for Brandon Bochenski
  • Traded Wayne Primeau, Brad Stuart and the pick that turned into Brodie to Calgary for Andrew Ference and Chuck Kobasew.
  • Traded Paul Mara to the NY Rangers for Aaron Ward.
  • Traded Brad Boyes to St. Louis for Dennis Wideman.

That’s all between opening night and the end of the trade deadline, 2006-07. I honestly don’t think an Oilers’ GM has ever been that active in-season, MAYBE Slats during one of those selloff springs.

A COUPLE OF ITEMS ON STU

I was thinking about this yesterday, about Peter Chiarelli’s massive job in the procurement area. Edmonton’s way of doing things for many years (example:  giving a local area scout a pick in the third round because he had a ‘passion’ for him) is old school back to Barry Fraser days. Progress WAS made, like the 2013 draft where the Oilers paid attention to analytics. The Marco Roy selection was specifically credited at the time, and the unusual trade that brought in five picks for one (Yakimov, Slepy, Platzer among them) also shows it. If it’s true that the 2013 draft was using analytics and a specific model, what happened in 2014? That kind of thing shouldn’t happen, there was value all through the 2014 draft (Mangiapane) that amateurs like myself uncovered with Texas Instruments and foolscap. Chiarelli has much work to do, and we’ll see this week how he’s going about it. Start as you mean to go, as they say.

remick

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy morning, much reaction to yesterday’s Chiarelli avail. Scheduled to appear, beginning 10 this morning on TSN1260:

• Jonathan Willis, Cult of Hockey. The Chiarelli chat, Dougie Hamilton, goalie.
  • Kirk Luedeke, Red Line Report. The Bruins and the eastern seaboard prospects like David Cotton.
  • Guy Flaming, Pipeline Show. WHL kids for the draft, some of the compelling kids he’s spoken to this year and his own take on the Oilers scouting changes.

Fluid show, may have an extra guest or two. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

240 Responses to "NEVER KEPT A DOLLAR PAST SUNSET"

« Older Comments
  1. Pajamah says:

Dashingsilverfox: The 4th, if its Hanifin or Marner or Zacha, is worth more than Draisaitl.

So, you’re also suggesting, for the pleasure of taking a hit on #4, the Leafs also send away a #1G for a second round pick?

Faced with that choice, if I were the Leafs GM, I’d just draft the next highly rated centre…Marner, Zacha or Barzal and see if a Buffalo might move the 21st for Bernier and a prospect..

I think Draisatl would hold a ton of value for the TML. I think he would likely be behind only Eichel and McDavid in a redraft.

I was more putting 2 and 2 together from Woogie and Woodguys comments. If the Oilers could pull it off, they would be kings, damn hell ass kings!!

who do you think is the cheaper option for the Oilers, Talbot, or Bernier?

2. Dashingsilverfox says:

Ca$h-McMoney!: Zacha is worth more than Draisaitl?

Why?

Or is this one of your Granlund > Hall moments?

Where do YOU think Draisaitl would rank in this year’s draft?

3. GCW_69 says:

russ99:
    Comcast Sports Net New England is reporting that a source said the Bruins are willing to go up to $7M/year to keep Hamilton on an offer sheet.

So, the offer sheet is $7.3M then…

4. John Chambers says:

Marc: I’m not so sure.

We’ve discussed what a buyer’s market it is for goalies.What we haven’t talked about much is what a buyers market it is for top six forwards.The following guys are potentially available:
    Hudler
    E Staal
    Nash
    Kessel
    O’Reilly
    Lucic
    Sharp
    Skinner
    Lupul
    Bozak
    B Sutter
    Okposo
    Beleskey

That is a lot of good hockey players. And there aren’t nearly enough teams looking to add a top six player on an expensive contract for the trading teams to get near the return they’re going to be looking for.

In the 2013 offseason Bobby Ryan fetched a 1st round pick, a good young player and a good prospect.That’s along the lines of the return we’re hearing the Hawks want for Sharp. But in 2013 there weren’t a lot of options for teams looking to add a top six forward.Parise was the cream of the UFA crop, but after that it guys like Semin, Ray Whitney and David Moss, or trading for guys like Perron or Ribiero.

I think a lot of the teams looking to movethese forwards will be so disappointed with the offers they’re getting that they’ll decide to hold on until after July 1 to see if the teams that missed out on their targets are any more generous.

This is an interesting offseason development. Scoring wingers are being re-assigned a lower value league-wide because all these guys want to get paid like Phil Kessel however there are only a handful of game-changing wingers worth the price. Every year there is a new Bickell or Beleskey who are pretty average but propped up by a team that can get them the puck in a position to score.

Meanwhile, defensemen are being assigned a higher value, and mid-pair guys like Petry and Franson are fetching a market price of over $5M.

Expensive wingers are like a luxury you can only afford of you have value contracts elsewhere throughout the lineup. Unless your name is Taylor Hall or Jakub Voracek, your $6M + salary might bring negative value to your club.

pocession charge: I don’t see how that would help Arizona get to the cap floor.When the season starts, he goes back to LTIR and his cap hit doesn’t count.Am I missing something?

Arizona doesn’t have to put Savard on LTIR.

6. Dashingsilverfox says:

Pajamah: Oh, I don’t assume Dubas gives it a second look. I would think he would want + if not ++.

who do you think is the cheaper option for the Oilers, Talbot, or Bernier?

Talbot I expect but the Leafs are likely more flexible.

7. GCW_69 says:

godot10: Bernier is one season away from UFA status.Just like Talbot.Since the Leafs opted for team arbitration, Bernier can do nothing and be a UFA after next season.i.e. He has the option to test drive his next team, without committing, just like Talbot.So I wouldn’t do the #16 unless the Leafs signed him to a new contract of at least 3 years.i.e. The advantage with Bernier is that the Leafs could do a sign and trade.If they really want #16, they could let Chiarelli negotiate a new contract with his agents before the trade.

That’s the way to do it. Leafs and Bernier’s agent are talking. Shanny knows what Bernier is looking for. No reason a sign and trade can’t get done.

8. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Dashingsilverfox: Where do YOU think Draisaitl would rank in this year’s draft?

OK I was just checking to see if you were serious. I’m not going to get sucked into an argument about it, you’re obviously just trying to be grating.

Also,

Hall > Granlund.

9. GCW_69 says:

Pajamah: Bernier and 4 for Drai and 33? Go ahead, make the call.

I doubt that happens. More like Leon and the 16th for a signed Bernier and the #4. But, if I were the Oilers, I would only do that if I really liked Hanifan or was happy with Provorov as an alternate.

Or perhaps, Leon, the 33rd and Marincin for Bernier and #4, but I doubt that would play well in Toronto. My guess is 16 has to be included or it doesn’t fly.

The problem is, you can’t do a Bernier deal at the draft. You want him signed, so you have to do it before the draft and you won’t know who will be available at #4.

10. Visually better says:

I don’t know about you guys, but i’m on the Provorov train..

IMO Carolina at #5 is the first to pick a D-man. Now they either pick Provorov or Hanifin (Hanifin being the favorite) . If they do indeed pick Hanifiin; then I think its safe to suggest that Columbus is quite possibly the next team to pick A d-man. Would they take 16 and 33 in hopes to get Chabot or Zboril there? I think that is the trade we should be looking at. It gives us the potential to have the best D-man in this draft without giving up an arm and a leg.

Columbus already has picks: 34, 38, and 58 in the second round not to mention back to back picks in the 3rd round. So by us giving them 16 and 33 they are bound to get some quality players by sacrificing number 8 overall. Win-Win in my books.

Thoughts?

11. Gerta Rauss says:

godot10: Arizona doesn’t have to put Savard on LTIR.

12. GCW_69 says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Leon goes 5 or 6 in this draft. His 105 points is well behind Marner and Strome, but he might pass Strome because of Strome’s poor playoff, and the McDavid effect.

WG: Let me know when you have that email, I’ll delete post.

Got it

14. Jamie says:

Anyone else having trouble going back and viewing Older comments? It only shows about 10 of the first 200 comments. Happened the other day on a different computer too.

15. John Chambers says:

Dashingsilverfox: Talbot I expect but the Leafs are likely more flexible.

The Leafs are, or should be, an ideal trading partner for Chiarelli.

They should in theory desire to get worse in goal, and have the money to take on bad contracts in exchange for a quantity of draft picks.

#16 OV is an overpay for Bernier, especially how this is a buyers market for goalies, but #33, 57, and Ott’s 3rd + Scrivens + Nikitin would offer the draft volume and quality TOR is looking for while providing the Oilers with cap relief and a good young tendy.

The Oilers have draft pick volume, and they should leverage it to facilitate a deal with the Leafs.*

The above does not constitute an invitation for machinations about a deal that may also involve Dion Phaneuf. That horse has been beaten too bloody severely, and does not need resurrecting.

16. Connorrhea says:

Jamie,

Nope. Fine on Win7, and even my Windoze phone.

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    Woodguy,

I just bought a new house that I’m going to be renovating.Once it’s done I’ll need a large kitchen table (4×10 or so).Since this is likely to be the house I’ll be in for 20+ years I’d rather get something that will last, ideally not like the Leon’s veneer garbage that is currently peeling in my kitchen.

Every time I see the price of a wooden table I’m filled with an intense rage, as it just seems like they should be simple to build relative to other things (chairs, a 2005 honda civic which costs about the same amount).

Any advice on where/how I can get a custom sized wooden table for a reasonable price?

Feel free to not reply, or reply with an answer that incorporates scotch/beer/women/movies/hockey or whatever else this blog is supposed to be for….

Old Hippy Wood products isn’t bad.

There’s a few stores that specialize in solid oak furniture. Most of it comes from China but there are some quality pieces.

Never pay sticker for furniture.

If you negotiate you should be able to get 10-20% off, especially if you pay with cash.

18. John Chambers says:

Visually better,

The way you’ve just explained it leads me to believe that Clb should be intent on doing the opposite – trading up to acquire a player in the 3-6 range.

19. vinotintazo says:

Jamie:
    Anyone else having trouble going back and viewing Older comments?It only shows about 10 of the first 200 comments. Happened the other day on a different computer too.

me, seems like the commets are screwed up.Edit: NVM is good now.

20. leadfarmer says:

Connorrhea,

They hire people as furniture installers. Can you imagine the suicide rate in that line of work

Gerta Rauss: That’s true, but then they’re running a 22 man roster. Which isn’t a show stopper by any means, but still…

No. They just put him on the regular injured list, and call somebody up. Going on LTIR is optional.

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    Woodguy,

I have a Bermex Eastern Yellow Birch table.

Bermex makes quality and you can customize it as well.

They are a Quebec company with a few retailers around town.

Impressed with the quality.

My table seats 6, but expands to seat 8 with both leaves stored inside the table.

You need too like Yellow Birch though. Softer than Maple or Oak but still good.

23. Магия 10 says:

vinotintazo: me, seems like the commets are screwed up.

Only guaranteed way to see all of the comments is if you click on the post title and get a simple url lke this:

Links that are supposed to jump into the middle of the comments (e.g. from the recent comments box or a permalink from a comment) are very hit and miss since the last major site change a few months back. They used to work always.

24. Pajamah says:

Woodguy,
    Ca$hMcMoney

If you want something weird and wonderful, you can try IZM as well. Like Old Hippy, its locally manufactured, and is solid wood, not veneer construction. More ultra-modern stuff if that is your bend.

LTIR doesn’t remove the salary from your cap hit.

It gives your a cushion to go over the cap.

They can put him on LTIR and not lose his salary against the cap.

They don’t have to use the cushion.

26. Visually better says:

John Chambers,

Yeah I get that and definitely considered that but I just feel that in this draft, there is without a doubt teams that are going to have players extremely high on their board that are going to be available when they pick. IMO the players ranked in the 8-16 area are all so similar and we will see teams start to draft by need like they do in the NFL (as somebody mentioned earlier) because the talent is so deep in the first round.

With it being such an incredible draft, having 7 potential picks in the top 70 would be very appealing to most GM’s.

27. Visually better says:

Who would offer Draisaitl for the opportunity to pick Provorov?

28. unca miltie says:

Pajamah:
    Woodguy,
    Ca$hMcMoney

go to LT’s site, learn about beer, wood and all important things including hockey. I have a buddy that brings hand crafted tables into Calgary from Bali. Store is called Bali & Beyond. Beware he is a flames fan.

29. John Chambers says:

Visually better:
    Who would offer Draisaitl for the opportunity to pick Provorov?

Yes for no other reason than to achieve organizational balance and to fill a position of extreme need.

However a package centred around Draisaitl for OEL or Hamilton are preferable because we get the prime years of that player now, not 4 years from now.

30. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Woodguy, Pajamah, Unca, Connorrhea, etc.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

God I love this blog.

Can’t make a decision in life? Ask a bunch of random people you’ve never met (but weirdly have a high degree of respect for/trust in) for advice on what purports to be a hockey blog.

Fantastic.

31. maudite says:

Re tables

Given the reality of this slowdown outside the edmonton area, I would also suggest looking at kijiji and buysell for all of alberta.

My brother’s mortgage term just came up and he was in the drayton credit union the other day (very conservative lender) manager was saying they were averaging one repo a day right now. There are a lot of people running on borrowed time right now and if you are willing to dig you can find some absolutely insane deals on almost anything.

32. thejonrmcleod says:

maudite,

I bought our dining room table on Kijiji, but I doubt it’s as fancy as what’s been talked about above.

33. Connorrhea says:

Ca$h-McMoney!: Thanks, I appreciate the help.

One place I usually look to is kijiji, as long as you’re not talking about mattresses or underwear.

Here in Cowtown, if you’re patient and do a daily search for what you’re looking for, you can usually find someone who has grown tired of looking at their stuff and wants something new.

We found a sofa/loveseat set a few years back, really high quality stuff and in immaculate condition (think plastic-covered until the Queen visits), for $300.

And of course, our kids made short work of making it look more ‘lived in’, which makes getting it for nuthin even that much sweeter!

34. maudite says:

Might also want to check repo auctions.

35. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Connorrhea,

thejonrmcleod,

I’m totally partial to Kijiji if I can… Lethbridge doesn’t have the best scene but if a real gem pops up in Calgary it might be worth the trip. I’ll be driving for Ikea anyway.

I’m not adverse to spending money on quality pieces, but I have 2 young boys, so having nice things is generally out of the question. I’ll make a point of paying more attention to Kijiji in Calgary for the next few months, I don’t need the thing until November anyway.

36. stevezie says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Drai would go 4-7. I think his strong overage season would make him a more reliable prospect. Strome had higher highs, but also has more questions around him, so it would depend on the temperment of the teams selecting. Marner and provorov could go before or after depending on positional bias.

I don’t see him getting picked above hanafin.

37. maudite says:

Yeah, I know but they are out there. I furnished my first home all second hand solid teek wall cabinets, Victorian hardwood table and such all for less than it would have cost me to go to leons and buy veneer shit. There are some extremely high income people this round that I even know heading up shit creek without a paddle. There is some crazy nice stuff being repo’d and sold off at the moment.

thejonrmcleod:
    maudite,

Might also want to check repo auctions.

38. Gerta Rauss says:

godot10: No.They just put him on the regular injured list, and call somebody up.Going on LTIR is optional.

Yes, of course. I stand corrected

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    Woodguy, Pajamah, Unca, Connorrhea, etc.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

God I love this blog.

Can’t make a decision in life?Ask a bunch of random people you’ve never met (but weirdly have a high degree of respect for/trust in) for advice on what purports to be a hockey blog.

Fantastic.

This place is a neighbourhood pub.

Sometimes you have to listen closely to hear who you want to listen to and often its so full there is a just a white noise hum, but there are usually people worth talking too.

Lots of people who just want to argue too, but they are easily ignored if you want to.

Or engage if you want to.

And everyone knows something about something that no one else does.

Good place.

40. Robinthe403 says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

Hey Cash I live in your city, too. Check out Bowden’s furniture across the street from Costco. Normally we wouldn’t shop there but when we built the house we are currently living in (our 20yr home as you say), we decided that a really good quality, solid wood table and chairs was likely an investment worth making.

We ordered a custom Canadel 48×72 table and 6 chairs, two additional leaves… Solid Maple, made in Quebec, 25 yr warranty, Yadayadayada… We deliberately chose a distressed finish table top as we have young ones, too. 4.5 years later we are very happy with sinking good money into this particular piece of furniture.

Just thought I’d chime in from a few barstools down!

Also, a few of us Oil fans are watching the draft at Paradise Canyon GC in the lounge on Friday. If you’d like to join you’d be more than welcome. I’ll be the guy wearing the Hall jersey.

Cheers,