ALONG CAME JONES?

I think we’ve reached a point in the summer where one should take new information, divide it in half, throw it down the stairs, let the dog play with it, and then mull it over.

• Darren Dreger: “I think, honestly, if Edmonton were going to make a deal, they would choose in this order: It would Talbot. It would go Jones. And then might go Robin Lehner of the Ottawa Senators. But if you’re Martin Jones, do you sign a contract with the L.A. Kings? And what does that contract look like? Well, chances are it’s a shorter term, say two years. Probably around $1-1.3 million. Right? Well, that’s backup money. If the Edmonton Oilers make a trade for Martin Jones, and I use Edmonton as my example, he’s probably going to want to sign a better contract (laughs) as a starter in the NHL than two years at (somewhere in the range of) 1.1, 1.2, 1.3. The goalie market is a hot one, but it’s complicated too.” Source

I’ve always liked Martin Jones, but would go Jonathan Bernier, Cam Talbot, Eddie Lack and then I might be tempted to wait in order to talk to Enroth and Neuvirth, but Jones is an interesting name all the same. I do think we have to agree that, while the truth is out there, it may not be public at this time. There was a response to the rumor from the LAK side, it is here.

schultz common3

NOTE: Speeds is a brilliant observer of the CBA, free agency and offer sheets. He has a very informative post up here. Very timely for Oilers fans.

brossoit ferguson 14-15

The Bakersfield Condors continue to sign players for 2015-16, adding defender Nick Pageau to the fold today. He’s a 27-year old defender with plenty of experience in Bakersfield and some games up top in the AHL (OKC). Story is here. He joins several young prospects (G Ty Rimmer, LW Braden Christoffer, LW Connor Rankin, C Alexis Loiseau) as possible AHL options for 2015-16.

POTENTIAL CONDORS 2015-16

1. G Laurent Brossoit. He should be the 1G and this is his time to shine.
  2. G Eetu Laurikainen. A terrific bet, got lost in the excitement.
  3. G Ty Rimmer. Depth signing, but he keeps hanging around. Not on 50-man.
  4. D Darnell Nurse. I’m not sure he plays in Bakersfield, we’ll see how the summer rolls.
  5. D Brad Hunt. A big part of the Condors offense, could see some NHL time.
  6. D Jordan Oesterle. College man now has experience, lordy he can wheel.
  7. D David Musil. Should be a big part of the Condors blue next year.
  8. D Dillon Simpson. Turned a corner later in the season, will build on it.
  9. D Martin Gernat. I have no idea where he’s going to end up.
  10. D Ben Betker. Big and has speed, a fun combination.
  11. D Joey Laleggia. Highly skilled, should get PP time in 2015-16.
  12. D Nick Pageau. Two pro seasons gives him value may see significant ECHL time.
  13. C Leon Draisaitl. Ideally he spends most of the season in Bakersfield.
  14. C Bogdan Yakimov. I can’t wait to see his year over year progress, encouraging rookie year.
  15. C Alexis Loiseau. AHL deal. He’s 21, 6.01, 180, he scored 96 points in 68 QMJHL games.
  16. C Jujhar Khaira Looks like he has a future as a checking C.
  17. C Travis Ewanyk Tough checker who will probably play a big role in PK department.
  18. L Ryan Hamilton He’ll be the veteran hand in the  minors helping to guide the kids.
  19. L Anton Slepyshev. Recently signed and very skilled. He should impact the AHL in 2015-16.
  20. L Kale Kessy. He was emerging as an AHL regular when injured, should build on that in 2015-16.
  21. L Mitch Moroz. Didn’t get close to enough at-bats this season.
  22. L Connor Rankin. Bakersfield signing, scored 32 in the WHL.
  23. L Braden Christoffer. Tough winger with skill, 5.10. Bakersfield signing.
  24. R Andrew Miller. A strong option for NHL time in 2015-16.
  25. R Iiro Pakarinen. Should be a quality AHL regular in 2015-16, could get called up.
  26. R Greg Chase. Really looking forward to seeing his progress next year.
  27. R Kyle Platzer He’ll push his way up the depth chart. Center, I’ve moved him here.

winquist ferguson 1415

What about Josh Winquist? Well, he’s part of the group who may or may not be signed but for all of the RFA’s patience is required. The NHL RFA’s (I’ll count Justin Schultz, Martin Marincin, Keith Aulie, Matt Fraser, Tyler Pitlick) should find out first and maybe we see one of them dealt this weekend. The AHL guys (Curtis Hamilton, Brandon Davidson, Tyler Bunz, Kellen Lain) are later decisions and I think we can make the call now (Davidson in).

150 Responses to "ALONG CAME JONES?"

When I saw the title I thought you were bringing up Ryan Jones and I got angry enough to punch something.

Jones (the goalie) started hot, but he 2nd year is meh.

I have him well down my wish list too.

Might pan out but there are much better bets out there.

To flesh out what I said in the previous post:

Jones Adjusted SV%

2013/2014 1/62 (850 5v5 toi to qualify)

Started hotter than a $3 pistol

2014/2015 45/62 (650 toi to qualify)

Meh.

If you think Talbot is a small sample, this one is even smaller.

Much worse aggregate results too.

For young goalies its best to see some consistency in terms of being near the top 30 in ASV%, and he doesn’t have it.

Interesting that the Oilers (reportedly) are interested in him. The Scrivens effect 2.0?

If your next post had “Petrell” in the title I’m going to drink a bottle of Stoli then drive out to St. Albert and kick your dog.

#IsMental

I think its out there to give Sather something to chew on.

“Oh, you don’t want my offer for Talbot? Fine. We have other options falling out of our ass”

At least I hope so.

Not that he wouldn’t be good, but last year he wasn’t good.

6. Mr DeBakey says:

Going back to Talbot for a moment, The obvious guy to trade for him is Boyd Gordon.
    Both are one year to UFA, and
    Center being a position of strength for the Oilers.

When talking to Bruce Stargazer on the radio show today you asked the musical question
    “Whom shall be Connor’s wings”

Pouliot & Purcell of course.
    Give him the wily vets.

I think Berube (who started for most of the year for Manchester) has to clear waivers next year.

Might be why Lombardi is trying to cash on Jones.

I’d take Jones over Berube, but I can see Jones’ agent pushing for a contract that makes Lombardi want to move him.

8. square_wheels says:

Woodguy,

Any and all scenarios where Lombardi fries in his own cap hell is good by me.

9. gd says:

If I interpret Speeds post properly; if the Oilers can get either Davidson or Pitlick to take them to arbitration, that could open up the second buyout window that would allow them to buyout Nikitin if they were successful in UFA getting say Sekera and Michalek. Sounds like a great diabolical plan for a couple of lawyers like Chia and Dellow to swing.

10. Connorrhea says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie now36 seconds ago
    Bob Hartley wins Jack Adams Award as Corsi denier of the year.

ftfy Bob.

11. Connorrhea says:

square_wheels:
    Woodguy,

Any and all scenarios where Lombardi fries in his own cap hell is good by me.

Not so fast:

Bob McKenzie retweeted
    Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 47m47 minutes ago
    …am told that part of the impetus for Voynov’s suspension by LA was due to the injury he suffered away from hockey activity.

12. leadfarmer says:

Mr DeBakey,

Only way the Rangers would even remotely be interested in Gordon is if you kept half of his salary. Otherwise they are trying to shed dollars, not add them.

13. speeds says:

gd,

gd:

They don’t have to rely on them to take the Oilers to arbitration – the Oilers still have a window where they can take them to arbitration .

14. slopitch says:

Funny, I thought this was going to be a Seth Jones post. Too bad, I got excited for a sec. I’m meh on Jones as a starter. Fine if you move out scrivens.

Keep Gordon till the deadline. Tampa got roasted in the face off circle vs Chicago. Someone will pay.

15. RexLibris says:

Funny. WG was thinking Ryan Jones.

I was thinking Chris Jones.

C. Jones changed the Eskimos as dramatically as Chiarelli may change the Oilers. In what felt like overnight (in CFL tims) the Eskimos went from doormat franchise with a long history of character problems to one that seems to be back to kicking arse and taking names in a number of categories.

Re: Bob Hartley – good for him. He deserves it. Ted Nolan probably deserves the Jack Daniels coaching award for the season(s) he had to endure. Man, Murray resurrected his career just to put a few more bullets in it.

I really hope Chiarelli takes Sather to school on this trade. This whole fan base could use a good show of confidence (and competence) to help us hold our heads high again.

16. leadfarmer says:

Sorry to go back to the last thread, but am I the only one that looked at Giordano asking for 9 million and go damn Flames. That is not an unreasonable first offer that I’m sure they will be able to knock that down to 7 7.5. Considering what Petry just got and what Sekera and Franson will get that isn’t too shabby for them. Maybe the battle of Alberta will be an actual battle.

17. Mr DeBakey says:

leadfarmer:
    Mr DeBakey,

Only way the Rangers would even remotely be interested in Gordon is if you kept half of his salary.Otherwise they are trying to shed dollars, not add them.

Excellent!
    50% it is.

18. RexLibris says:

Is there any point in daydreaming a scenario where the Oilers acquire Hamilton from Boston and Neely decides to revenge offer sheet them on Justin Schultz for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd?

Hehe…that’d be a great day.

It’s actually about Chipper Jones.

20. RexLibris says:

It’s actually about Chipper Jones.

I can’t keep up with all your Joneses. 🙂

21. Snowman says:

When is something going to happen? The lack of happenings is really irritating (24 for 1 KHL trade notwithstanding).

speeds:
    gd,

I thought the window for team arbitration closed about a week ago? With the Leafs the only team taking a player (Bernier) to team-selected arbitration.

23. speeds says:

godot10: I thought the window for team arbitration closed about a week ago?With the Leafs the only team taking a player (Bernier) to team-selected arbitration.

Teams can take a player to arbitration is lieu of a qualifying offer in certain situations, which is what TOR did with Bernier, but they also have a 24 hour window immediately after the players’ opportunity to file for arbitration ends.

24. v4ance says:

Woodguy,

I miss capgeek’s waiver calculator.

EDITED>>>>
    So based on this article: http://www.litterboxcats.com/2013/10/7/4792782/nhl-waiver-waivers-cba-florida-panthers , JF Berube is NOT subject to waivers. He signed in 2011 as a 19 year old and has spent 4 years with the organization which is below the 5 years needed for removing waiver protection. The other factor that would have removed his waiver protection was 80 NHL games but he’s had none to date.

The other reason Jones is being shopped is that his cap hit and his trade value is higher than Berube.

So to correct myself, Berube, appears to be able to go up and down from the minors for one more season or until he plays 80 NHL games (whichever occurs first)

It’s actually about Chipper Jones.

I’m still gonna drink the Stoli.

v4ance:
    Woodguy,

I miss capgeek’s waiver calculator.

So based on this article: http://www.litterboxcats.com/2013/10/7/4792782/nhl-waiver-waivers-cba-florida-panthers , JF Berube is subject to waivers.He signed in 2011 and has spent 4 years with the organization which passes the waiver protection.The other factor that would have removed his waiver protection was 80 NHL games but he’s had none to date.

Yup

27. Ben says:

Fuck yes Carey Price. CLASS.

I’ve met him a couple of times in Montreal (among a ton of other NHLers). Really couldn’t be more kind and genuine.

28. square_wheels says:

Has anyone considered an offer sheet for Holtby ? Caps have 12 players signed for 50M and could likely fit it in, but could someone pay him 6M and would the Caps match ?

29. G Money says:

Seth Jones? Yes please!

Martin Jones? Oh hell no!

30. Ice Sage says:

Jonesin’ for a trade

31. G Money says:

square_wheels,

Considering its a buyers market, wouldn’t taking the hit in terms of both cap space AND picks for a goalie be an unnecessarily expensive way to solve the problem?

32. spoiler says:

They say McDavid is a Basketball Jones.
    😀

33. v4ance says:

Woodguy,

Sorry WG.

I had to go back and edit my post because I was mistaken. I thought he signed as a 20 year old in 2011 but doing some digging, he was actually 19 years old on May 11th when he signed his ELC. His birthday was in July so that gave him one more year of protection from waivers.

34. spoiler says:

G Money:
    Seth Jones?Yes please!

Martin Jones?Oh hell no!

100% agreed.

I’d do Drai for Jones.

16th for Ellis.

I’d rather have a UFA than Martin.

35. G Money says:

Bo Horvat got two votes for the Calder.

Cam Talbot got one vote for the Vezina.

#TrueStory

36. square_wheels says:

G Money,

Yes, sorry, should have been clearer. Not necessarily an Edmonton move, more of Burke move or if he was still a GM, Butthole Button. I’m just pondering, because Holtby is elite ? Maybe? And this is the silly season, with all kinds of goalie options out there. Maybe Washington and his agents are stuck.

37. VanOil says:

Darren Dreger no longer has his nepotic patron to make him a true hockey insider. He seems to be casting about as a sycophant for hire. Tough job, I wish him the best of luck in these trying economic times.

Jiri Hudler is funny, not Eddie Lack funny, but funny none the less.

38. Ben says:

“Justin Schultz has Masterton potential”.

– MacT, slumped over in some Cancun bar

39. Scotty LaDouche says:

Good for Devan.

40. ashley says:

Looking at the UFA’s the Oilers have signed in the last few years, I wonder why they bother at all? Khabibulin, Barker, Gordon, Labarbara, Ference, Nikitin, Fayne, Pouliot.

They all seem to end up as anchors in 12-24 months. Fayne and Pouliot are still honeymooning, but if the trend can be followed, than next summer we will be talking trade/buy-out for them as well. How do we avoid this?

You never hear from a lot of teams (the same ones) on July 1. Maybe UFA deals are better done later in the summer?

41. G Money says:

ashley: How do we avoid this?

I would have expected that #1 on Chia’s to-do list would be improving pro scouting.

He’s certainly kicked that off in a pretty big way.

42. Mr DeBakey says:

ashley: They all seem to end up as anchors in 12-24 months.

Try minutes, not months; at least for Khabibulin, Barker, Labarbara, Ference, Nikitin and others.

Gordon, Fayne, Pouliot all good.

M Gare is gone, hopefully his replacement has a clue.

43. Ben says:

I’d never heard of Daughtry until just now. I wonder how hard I’d have to hit my head against the coffee table to forget ever having heard them.

44. Dashingsilverfox says:

G Money:
    Bo Horvat got two votes for the Calder.

Cam Talbot got one vote for the Vezina.

#TrueStory

How many did Draisaitl get? (he qualified)

Horvat is only 5 months older than Draisaitl.

#TrueStory

45. Dashingsilverfox says:

Stats Canada ‏@stats_canada May 31

76% of favours in Canada are done for free beer

46. Snowman says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Lol.

Draisatl got as many votes as people who understand what you are trying to say with this comment.

#TrueStory.

47. Snowman says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Fantastic twitter account.

48. Rip Fan Winkle says:

Dashingsilverfox: How many did Draisaitl get? (he qualified)

Horvat is only 5 months older than Draisaitl.

#TrueStory

You’re right I am happy for them. They have done an excellent job of becoming the Bruins 2.0. They are a much heavier team now.

49. Gordies Elbow says:

Trade proposal:

Ryan Miller (34 years old, 6m, 2 years left, UFA with a Modified NTC (can provide five-team trade list))

for

Mitchell Moroz (21 years old, 0.875m, 2 years left, RFA at the end)

I like Moroz, and I think that there is a player there. This last season, his illness couldn’t have come at a worse time, and Edmonton’s about to pick players that will move him further down the depth chart. I can’t see him on the Edmonton roster anytime soon, but for other teams, that haven’t had as many picks, he could be a good depth pickup. He’s big, has good character from what I’ve seen, and has potential (big, skates fast, can somewhat take a pass and make a pass.) That said, I’d only include him in a deal to keep the 50 contracts list even. He’s not going to be a star.

Canucks are at $69.3m with 23 players, assuming small raises for their RFA’s. They’re tight to the cap this year, and have Miller for the next two at $6m. Miller is a good stablehorse, and Edmonton would get cap certainty, a good goalie, and time to develop Brossoit, Laurikainen, or a player like Ilya Samsonov. Vancouver would get cap relief, and not be in the position where at the end of next season, they have Markstrom and Cannata as their goalies. The market for goalies is soft this year, and moving Lack for a 2nd (if that) might be a poor move. Looking at the cap space, Edmonton or Buffalo could pull this off with their cap space, and if one does, the market gets better for the other one.

Sounds like a win-win deal for each team, provided that Miller was willing to waive his NTC.

Thoughts?

50. square_wheels says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Here we go with another Draisatl vs XX player debate…..yay.

51. rickithebear says:

Dashingsilverfox: How many did Draisaitl get? (he qualified)

Horvat is only 5 months older than Draisaitl.

#TrueStory

Horvat got outscored by Khaira and Chase in the Russia super series.

They will tear up the AHL

Khaira-platzer-Chase

True Story.

VCR: Forwards depth is pretty sad.

I dought horvat gets 10pts playing with Moroz and Ewanyk in the AHL.

We will compare him to draisatl when he can outscore our 4th line AHL players without being carried.

52. Dashingsilverfox says:

Gordies Elbow:
    Trade proposal:

for

Mitchell Moroz (21 years old, 0.875m, 2 years left, RFA at the end)

I like Moroz, and I think that there is a player there. This last season, his illness couldn’t have come at a worse time, and Edmonton’s about to pick players that will move him further down the depth chart.I can’t see him on the Edmonton roster anytime soon, but for other teams, that haven’thad as many picks, he could be a good depth pickup. He’s big, has good character from what I’ve seen, and has potential (big, skates fast, can somewhat take a pass and make a pass.) That said, I’d only include him in a deal to keep the 50 contracts list even. He’s not going to be a star.

Thoughts?

Not a bad idea but I can’t see why Miller would waive to come to Edmonton.

If he did, no need to throw Moroz into the deal…a second round pick would be more attractive to the Canucks.

53. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox,

It’s not about being attractive to the Canucks, it’s about keeping the 50 contract list the same.

Moving Lack in a market that has posted quotes like: “It’s not going to be a satisfactory deal… I’m not going to get what I think I should get.” – Bryan Murray on his impending goalie trade is probably not the time to be moving him.

Taking Moroz and encouragement to waive the NTC would be expected of Vancouver. Otherwise, moving Miller back to Buffalo would be appreciated, as it would make the poor goalie market even worse.

54. frjohnk says:

Dashingsilverfox: Not a bad idea but I can’t see why Miller would waive to come to Edmonton.

Moroz is just a throw in, to keep the 50 man list for both teams the same.

I don’t think Moroz is much of a NHL prospect at this point.

He would have to make a tremendous leap next year just to get into the conversation of maybe one day being a 4th liner.

55. Dashingsilverfox says:

rickithebear: Horvat got outscored by Khaira and Chase in the Russia super series.

They will tear up the AHL

Khaira-platzer-Chase

True Story.

VCR: Forwards depth is pretty sad.

I dought horvat gets 10pts playing with Moroz and Ewanyk in the AHL.

While Khaira, Platzer and Chase were NOT tearing up anything, right?

Horvat will likely get a bump to the second line next season in Vancouver and I’d guess he’ll hit 20G and 40P while being Vancouver’s best face-off guy.

Can you see any of Khaira, Platzer or Chase making any kind of impact in the NHL next season?

56. rickithebear says:

Dorsett
    w/ Bo 39.3%
    w/o Bo 45.2%

Burrows
    w/ Bo 43.0%
    w/o Bo 53.4%

This anchor makes Hodgson look like a jet boat!

Maybe benning can bump and dump him!

57. LadiesloveSmid says:

Dashingsilverfox: How many did Draisaitl get? (he qualified)

Horvat is only 5 months older than Draisaitl.

#TrueStory

give me a break, not one of these days

thread ruiner

58. Ben says:

Dashingsilverfox: You know Horvat scored 13G and 25P while playing 3rd line minutes in the NHL, right?

While Khaira, Platzer and Chase were NOT tearing up anything, right?

Grab a new schtick, bra.

59. Halfwise says:

Ben,

Dashingsilverfox,

SQUIRREL!!!

60. Richard S.S. says:

I like Vancouver trades Eddie Lack and 23rd pick to Edmonton for 16th pick. It helps each team enough to be a viable option and it’s something Vancouver would do. Vancouver gets possibly a “plug and play” player, while Edmonton gets a Goalie and still gets a very nice player at 23.

61. Connorrhea says:

G Money: #TrueStory

I read that Coach Randy received a CotY nomination.

62. Rip Fan Winkle says:

missing the point 🙂

63. Connorrhea says:

square_wheels:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Here we go with another Draisatl vs XX player debate…..yay.

Okay. Let’s put down on what his next conquest will be:

RNH Hall

Larionov > Gretzky

note: I can’t put down on anything.

64. Richard S.S. says:

Price just keeps cleaning up. http://www.tsn.ca/price-sweeps-hart-vezina-lindsay-at-nhl-awards-1.317112

That makes any goalie acquisition a priority. The possibilities are endless, but you need to stay young, better chance to get good value whether you keep them or trade them.

65. square_wheels says:

Connorrhea,

I’m taking the high ground, because Friday night were drafting Connor McDavid and he can shove his Pavel Bure jersey straight up his ass if he tries to poopoo our evening.

66. Dashingsilverfox says:

D Shea Weber, Nashville Predators 78 26:22 15 30 45

C Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins 77 19:58 28 56 84

RW Vladimir Tarasenko, St. Louis Blues 77 17:37 37 36 73

LW Jamie Benn, Dallas Stars 82 19:56 35 52 87

v4ance,

Thanks

Doobie 4th in Hart voting and 2nd team All Star.

In case any idiots are asking a question.

Man.

69. Dashingsilverfox says:

Woodguy:
    Doobie 4th in Hart voting and 2nd team All Star.

In case any idiots are asking a question.

Man.

I see you’ve come around to the notion that, if you’re the smartest man in the room, you’re in the wrong room:)

70. John Chambers says:

I’m glad Ekblad took the Calder. Voters recognized how rare a feat it was for a rookie under 20 to play such a prominent role on the blueline.

He might have the ability to make Miami care about hockey for the first time since a rat-infested stint nearly 20 years ago.

71. misfit says:

Those 1st and 2nd team All-Star teams look like the East/West starting lineuos at this year’s ASG (if they had one). Minus Crosby, of course.

Tavares as the league’s top center? Give me a break.

72. Dashingsilverfox says:

misfit:
    Those 1st and 2nd team All-Star teams look like the East/West starting lineuos at this year’s ASG (if they had one).Minus Crosby, of course.

Tavares as the league’s top center?Give me a break.

I think the second team would beat the first team in a 7 game series.

73. smellyglove says:

DSF isn’t even trolling particularly well these days…

Did he just slam Draisaitl as compared to Horvat while ignoring incredibly small sample sizes and different playing situations?

Hmmm, I guess Horvat > Reinhart too?

Your trolling formula needs work as it’s too transparent. Pick player X from the Oilers, classify with loose parameters, generate comparable population from entire 30 team league, choose leader by offensive statistic, compare to Oiler player X.

If only we didn’t have the best player in the league at every position, heavens….

74. Snowman says:

Dashingsilverfox: I think the second team would beat the first team in a 7 game series.

That second team dominates the first team.

75. 719 says:

No Oilers’ player/personnel got a vote for any award or an all start team vote. Not even one vote!

76. Dashingsilverfox says:

2014-15 NHL ALL-ROOKIE TEAM

G Jake Allen, STL 37 22 7 4 2.28 .913 4

D Aaron Ekblad, FLA 81 12 27 39 +12 21:48
    D John Klingberg, DAL 65 11 29 40 +5 21:50
    F Filip Forsberg, NSH 82 26 37 63 +15 17:19
    F Johnny Gaudreau, CGY 80 24 40 64 +11 17:43
    F Mark Stone, OTT 80 26 38 64 +21 17:01

77. Lynas1 says:

Woodguy:

#IsMental

I like most of your posts WG, but I have to say that drunk driving isn’t something one should take lightly. Especially considering how many people still be at it. Otherwise, I’m in full agreement about Ryan Jones, Martin Jones, and Petrell. Just felt the need to chime in.

78. Dashingsilverfox says:

Lynas1: I like most of your posts WG, but I have to say that drunk driving isn’t something one should take lightly.Especially considering how many people still be at it.Otherwise, I’m in full agreement about Ryan Jones, Martin Jones, and Petrell.Just felt the need to chime in.

Metaphorically warning, of course.

79. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Forget the goalers for a moment.

Any word on the assistants that are going to be in place, likely, by friday?

80. Romulus Apotheosis says:

And,

have you watched this video the Oilers have up right now?

unreal.

81. Dashingsilverfox says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    And,

have you watched this video the Oilers have up right now?

unreal.

Cheesy fat guys.

82. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    2014-15 NHL ALL-ROOKIE TEAM

G Jake Allen, STL 37 22 7 4 2.28 .913 4

D Aaron Ekblad, FLA 81 12 27 39 +12 21:48
    D John Klingberg, DAL 65 11 29 40 +5 21:50
    F Filip Forsberg, NSH 82 26 37 63 +15 17:19
    F Johnny Gaudreau, CGY 80 24 40 64 +11 17:43
    F Mark Stone, OTT 80 26 38 64 +21 17:01

Personally, since I started following the voting, I don’t take the voting seriously. There are too many flaws in the voting to care. Sad, but in my opinion, it really degrades the winning of a major trophy. The PHWA should know the positions of players, and stay awake long enough to have an informed opinion rather than voting for their local team. It’s embarassing.

83. Dashingsilverfox says:

square_wheels:
    Connorrhea,

Pavel Bure was a sublime talent…scored 60 goals and 110 points in his second season.

Likely on a par with McDavid.

The cautionary tale is he played for an unbalanced team that couldn’t get out of its own way.

Would you be surprised to learn that the Oilers have one and half NHL defenseman at the moment?

And no goaltending?

The next few weeks will be interesting but there’s a lot of work to be done.

84. Dashingsilverfox says:

Gordies Elbow: History is written by the Professional Hockey Writers Association. While I don’t disagree with their current list, it’s not like they haven’t had a huge blunder in the recent past.

85. square_wheels says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Figured you’d enjoy chatting about Bure, he sure was brilliant. Another beauty came around shortly after as well, Mogilny was lights out for a few years.

86. Rondo says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

If they are looking for a big body why not Denis Guryanov he seems to fit the parameters .

I also agree they are taking a F at #16 does Roy have that much on as Dermott which you could probablyget at #33 or Dunn

87. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox: Shooting the messenger is almost like being the first person to mention the Nazis.

That said, what you posted is factual, in so far as it was the votes of the Professional Hockey Writers Association. Doesn’t really mean anything, though. I’m waiting on Gretzky’s Calder….

88. Scotty LaDouche says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Which I believe you just did.

89. Dashingsilverfox says:

Gordies Elbow: I trust that you’d know more about propaganda, and Nazis, than most. Happy to defer to the expert.

Gretzky wasn’t eligible.

90. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox: Gretzky wasn’t eligible.

Carolina won a cup. Do you think they care about who the PWHA thinks is a Left Winger?

Bure’s problem was health. When he was on, Bure was the best player Canucks ever had, and I love the Sedins.

92. Snowman says:

How fast was Bure compared to Modano? I never got to see Bure play but I sure remember Mike.

93. Dashingsilverfox says:

Snowman:

They called him the Russian Rocket for a reason.

Unbelievable speed.

94. Dashingsilverfox says:

Gordies Elbow: Yep, and Makarov was. That said, the only trophy that really matters, is the silver one at the end, right?

Can’t disagree with that.

95. Gordies Elbow says:

Snowman:

Better acceleration, but similar top speed.

Bure would wait on defenders between centre and the offensive blue line, and use his acceleration to get around a defender. Better than Selanne, which says something. Best of his generation, and the best attack available. He could make plays at speed, which is rare, and had the footwork to back it up. Great player.

Snowman:

Bure with the puck couldn’t be caught. He was fast and powerful, like an actual rocket.

97. Snowman says:

Well just watched some highlights… Sad I missed him. What. A. Player.

98. Wonder Llama says:

Enigmatic speed.

99. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Bure was the best player Canucks ever had

Not really the best sample group to highlight how good he was. 🙂

I remember reading an anecdote about the Red Wings scouts meeting in a bar after the Bure draft where they’d snagged Sillinger (11th), Lidstrom (53rd), Fedorov (74th), Dallas Drake (116th) and Konstantinov (221st) but they were pissed because they’d been vetoed by management on taking what they considered the steal of the draft in Bure (113th).

Every one of the players listed, save Konstantinov, would play over 1000 NHL games.

Now, imagine Pavel Bure as a Red Wing from 1991 to 2003.

*sigh*

100. Halfwise says:

Wonder Llama:
    Enigmatic speed.

Could have been a flight risk.

101. Dashingsilverfox says:

Snowman:
    Well just watched some highlights… Sad I missed him. What. A. Player.

Taylor Hall X 3

102. RexLibris says:

Fun fact: guess who was drafted four spots ahead of Pavel Bure in 1989?

Dan Bylsma.

Minnesota took goalie Scott Cashman 112th, one before Bure.

Poring over old draft records is bittersweet.

103. Lynas1 says:

What about Trevor Linden or Markus Naslund?

104. Ray says:

In terms of the level of tragedy from injuries shortening a career, Bure ranks right up there with Orr

105. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox: Taylor Hall X 3

Man, they should have won a cup with him. So close.

106. Snowman says:

Dashingsilverfox: Taylor Hall X 3

In all seriousness, I get the Connor Mcdavid-Pavel Bure comparisons now. Stylistically they play a similar way. Albeit CMD in junior and Bure against the best in the world but you can see some similarities in their game. Definitely closer to Bure than Lemiuex or Crosby in style I think. (This is by no means a Mcdavid=Bure post, just a comment on style)

107. Dashingsilverfox says:

The 10 most skilled players in NHL history.

108. Dashingsilverfox says:

Snowman: Certainly not in the same ballpark. Taylor Hall is a beauty though no matter what you might think about him.

Yep. I think that’s fair although Bure may have been faster,

109. Rebilled says:

I hope it’s Talbot.

110. ashley says:

Dashingsilverfox: Taylor Hall X 3

Taylor Hall with hands would be a more accurate dig on Taylor Hall. At least that’s what I think you were trying to do.

The 1994 playoffs were highly entertaining. The Flames-Canucks in round 1 was full of drama. Bure was at the center of it all including a double OT series winner. These were the dreadful Corson years for the Oilers. Man this team has been bad for a long time. I could be convinced that 2006 was a mirage.

I remember Bure scoring 5(!) goals in an Olympic game vs Finland. I can’t remember the score, but the Finns weren’t a pushover in the game and they needed Bure’s magic for sure.

What a talent. Also a real gentleman on and off the ice.

111. ashley says:

They play different styles. Bure had unreal speed with a deadly wrist shot that he unleashed at top speed. Connor seems to slow things down as he approaches the net and is clever at using the available space created by his speed to score or pass. Bure highlights show him flying behind the net or to the side when the light comes one. McDavid is often standing in front of the net when the light goes on. I’m not sure how this will translate into the NHL. He’ll take some time to adapt since NHL defenders won’t back off so much and the space won’t be so available like it is in junior.

112. Dashingsilverfox says:

ashley: That’s a little crazy (3x), but he was certainly the fastest I’ve ever seen play.

Taylor Hall with hands would be a more accurate dig on Taylor Hall.At least that’s what I think you were trying to do.

The 1994 playoffs were highly entertaining.The Flames-Canucks in round 1 was full of drama.Bure was at the center of it all including a double OT series winner.These were the dreadful Corson years for the Oilers.Man this team has been bad for a long time.I could be convinced that 2006 was a mirage.

I remember Bure scoring 5(!) goals in an Olympic game vs Finland.I can’t remember the score, but the Finns weren’t a pushover in the game and they needed Bure’s magic for sure.

What a talent.Also a real gentleman on and off the ice.

Bure could do things that Hall has never even thought about…at higher speed.

113. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox: Bure could do things that Hall has never even thought about…at higher speed.

Yes, but Hall could win a Stanley cup ring.

So he has that going for him.

114. Dashingsilverfox says:

Gordies Elbow: Yes, but Hall could win a Stanley cup ring.

So he has that going for him.

Dennis Wideman says hi. 🙂

115. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Gordies Elbow: Better acceleration, but similar top speed.

I see the same sort of elite speed with puck in McDavid. Can see the stylistic comparisons.
    I’d be happy if McDavid became Bure II.

116. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox: Dennis Wideman says hi.

The entire Vancouver Canucks franchise does not, though.

Bure should have won a cup. Linden too.

Perhaps Edmonton won’t?

117. Gordies Elbow says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”: Similar top speed? Modano was a smooth skater but Bure was faster. And if you further qualify it as with the puck, Bure has him eating his dust.

I’d be happy if McDavid became Bure II.

Yep, but there were likely players with a top end that is faster, at the time. Currently, you have player like Cogliano, who are fast, and players like Hagelin, who have a higher top end, but may not have the acceleration. It’s close, and with the new software entering the game, we will likely have better numbers the next couple of years.

118. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

I hated the Canucks, always will. But Pavel Bure in his prime was a sublime player.

What were we discussing again?

Oh right. I’m still guessing Bernier is on the block. 16+33 for Bernier+24.

119. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Gordies Elbow,

Sure, but skating while handling the puck no one was close to Bure in top speed in the mid 90s when he was playing. Many players had trouble keeping up without the puck.

120. Gordies Elbow says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:
    Gordies Elbow,

Sure, but skating while handling the puck no one was close to Bure in top speed in the mid 90s when he was playing.Many players had trouble keeping up without the puck.

Ability to make plays at speed?

Best player to do that in the last 20 years is a guy that’s just coming into the NHL.

Yep. Connor McDavid.

Look at the videos, and watch him make plays at speed. It’s unfair.

121. Hammers says:

Gordies Elbow: Yes, but Hall could win a Stanley cup ring.

So he has that going for him.

Doesn’t mean a thing . A big difference in style in most of the decades for the last 50-60 years. that’s one thing I don’t understand when players get compared who play 20 years apart and sometimes more . Just aknowledge what they brought to the game in there decade and against players of that decade .

122. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Gordies Elbow: Ability to make plays at speed?

Yep. Connor McDavid.

Look at the videos, and watch him make plays at speed. It’s unfair.

Agreed. I wrote that above. In the last 15 years anyway. And I don’t need to watch the videos. Seen most of ’em. 😉

123. Gordies Elbow says:

Hammers: Doesn’t mean a thing . A big difference in style in most of the decades for the last 50-60 years. that’s one thing I don’t understand when players get compared who play 20 years apart and sometimes more .Just aknowledge what they brought to the game in there decade and against players of that decade .

(Sorry, mean’t to get a specific poster somewhat riled up, about Hall being a player who could win a cup vs. a historical player who couldn’t)

Hall is a great player, and I look forward to seeing him this season, liklely playing with McDavid and a player like Yakupov. Seems somewhat unfair, but happy to take it 🙂

124. Pechetr says:

First time poster, long time reader. All the goalie talk lately and yet no one mentions Anti Raanta? Did I miss something?

I am not a Canucks fan, (spit) but Bure was amazing to watch. I don’t compare modern players to players of the 80’s-90’s. The game has changed far too much. Just the goalie equipment alone makes it an uneven comparison.

Pechetr:

One doubts he’s available is all. And of course he’s unproven.

126. rickithebear says:

Pechetr:

He was on my list of .929+ SM-ligga goalies.
    Etu is a better option out of SM-Ligga by age.

127. AsiaOil says:

Headline: Price sweeps Hart, Vezina, Lindsay at NHL Awards

Clearly never spend a high first round pick on a goalie. I remember the bitching and moaning when MTL drafted the guy – could have had Gilbert Brule!

Interesting drafts for goalies during 2002-2006 – 14 goalies taken in the first round and a lot panned out.

Jackpot: Schnieder (2004), Price and Rask (both 2005)
    Covered Bet: Lehtonen and Ward (both 2002), Fluery (2003), Dubnyk (2004), Varalamov and Bernier (2006)
    Mediocre: Montoya (2004)
    Bust: Toivanen (2002), Schwarz (2004), Helenius and Irving (2006)

So only 4 outright busts and 1 mediocre return with Montoya who looks a career backup. But you have 6 guys who “covered the bet” and 3 outright jackpots relative to where they were selected. In 2005 only Rask and Price were picked in the first round – remarkable – golden years.

But from 2007 until today very few goalies were selected in the first round (only 6) and 5 years had none at all. Results for 4 guys taken between 2007-2011 were terrible with Pickard and Campbell pure busts and McCollom/Visintin mediocre. We are in the next 5 year period with Vasilevsky and Subban in 2012 looking pretty good so far – but man what a bad run from 07-11 and later rounds not much better. Avoiding goalies in the first round made sense for his period – but not for 2002-2006

Drafting goalies looks to go in waves 2002 – 2006 were golden years with many of our existing top guys developing during that period. Then 2007 – 2011 looks horrible – don’t take a goalie in first round mantra developed from this period. The 2012 draft looks good so far and 13/14 are unclear but not too promising. Here is the thing though – the NHL is living on the 02-06 golden days picks right now and there doesn’t appear to be much behind this cluster. This is another reason to pick up a guy like Bernier and lock him in longterm NOW. The big harvest of 02-06 is anywhere from the end to the middle of their career – and the supply of quality may be dropping off precipitously soon since the 2007-2011 cohort was generally awful. The buyers market may be ending and shifting to a sellers market soon.

Big question – does goalie development go in boom-bust waves? Where the hell have all the elite prospects gone? After thinking about this – you can certainly justify the Vasilevsky/Subban picks in 2012. What about the young Russian this year? If he really is elite in terms of skill compared to the last 5 years – then you may certainly be justified in taking him at #16. Trading for Bernier for the next 4/5 years to lock up the near term and avoid the coming bust – and drafting the Russian kid at #16 for later may be a good play as long as the Russian kid really is exceptional.

128. Pouzar says:

Who gives a flying f^ck about Pavel Bure?

WOOT McDavid!

129. thejonrmcleod says:

Seriously, when I first saw the title of this post, I thought it had something to do with Terry Jones and a Chinese buffet.

130. PhrankLee says:

The Coasters were in a class of their own, LT. Great post.
    Bernier or Enroth are my favs.

I would not sneeze at Talbot but his age concerns me. Lack is attractive but would cost a premium being in the division.

1 more sleep.

Bure was a prick. Still is.

But he was by far the best player the Canucks ever had or ever will have.

They will be looking at the lottery in 2 years. Drop like a stone.

131. VanOil says:

1 more sleep until McDavid.
    Woooooooooooot!
    A song for the near heart break of the last 9 years by YEGs finest; https://youtu.be/A1glmrZwDmQ

132. frjohnk says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:

Wow. Giordano camp asking 9m per!

Offer sheeting Hamilton at 8M per would not look bad.

I like Giordano, but he will be 32 at the start of the year. He probably wants 9M over 6 years. Maybe they agree at 8M over 5 years.

Most likely Calgary does not get their monies worth at the end of the deal because of his age.

Hamilton would still be in his 20’s at the end of his next deal.

133. Kris11 says:

When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt.

He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire.

134. v4ance says:

A 34 year old Ryan Miller is not a realistic option. Even the media are smart enough to NOT put his name out as a viable trade candidate. His $6 million cap hit is as much of an anchor as Mike Richards or Vinny Lecavalier.

His 0.904 save percentage behind a contending Blues team sunk his reputation around the league. Even though he recovered this season to a 0.910 save percentage in Vancouver, Eddie Lack was still outperforming him at a 0.921 clip behind the same team with a similar workload (40+ appearances).

The only reason Lack is available is because his contract is moveable and Miller’s is not. Vancouver is in cap difficulty and needs to shed dollars.

135. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

frjohnk,

Maybe.

In that scenario you have Hamilton and Giordano making $8 million/year over 5 years.

Gio is better today (so let’s assume that’s true next year). After that it’s unknown, but Hamilton is almost certainly better in year 5 (and likely before that).

But what we are really comparing is Hamilton vs. Giordano w/ 2 first round picks, a 2nd, and a 3rd.

So when you factor in keeping the picks, I’d say Calgary is better off with Gio, especially since it’s entirely possible one of those two 1st rounders is a lottery pick.

thejonrmcleod:

I hear Jones prefers Japanese.

137. GCW_69 says:

TSN radio here in Toronto had an in depth interview with the Leafs head of amateur scouting last night. The interesting part of the conversation was on the use of analytics.

Most folks here would have gotten a woody listening to Morrison talk. He talked about how he had come around to the value of analytics and how they used them to test if their eyes we’re lying to them about players. About how where the math and the scouts disagreed they would look deeper into the player. They would find film on the player and break him down in more detail to see of the scout or the math was missing something. It was something to listen to, I tell you.

The other thing that was interesting was the talk about size. Said the leafs we’re going to focus on speed and skill. After that, the size of the players heart (willingness to do the dirty work) was more important than physical size.

138. frjohnk says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    frjohnk,

Maybe.

Gio is better today (so let’s assume that’s true next year).After that it’s unknown, but Hamilton is almost certainly better in year 5 (and likely before that).

Yeah the cost of getting Hamilton will not be cheap, but I was just looking at the player and salary cost and who would bring more value over the life time of the contract.

Right now, Id rather have Girodano, but in two years, maybe even next year, Id rather Hamilton. I think he is that good.

139. HiddenDarts says:

Kris11:

He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire.

Er, I’m gonna have to disagree with this statement. 🙂

140. PhrankLee says:

Vegas, Quebec City, Kansas City, Portland, Hamilton…All have compelling markets.

Could we see an expantion/dispersal draft soon? That would be too much fun!!

GCW_69:
    TSN radio here in Toronto had an in depth interview with the Leafs head of amateur scouting last night.The interesting part of the conversation was on the use of analytics.

Most folks here would have gotten a woody listening to Morrison talk.He talked about how he had come around to the value of analytics and how they used them to test if their eyes we’re lying to them about players.About how where the math and the scouts disagreed they would look deeper into the player. They would find film on the player and break him down in more detail to see of the scout or the math was missing something.It was something to listen to, I tell you.

The other thing that was interesting was the talk about size. Said the leafs we’re going to focus on speed and skill.After that, the size of the players heart (willingness to do the dirty work) was more important than physical size.

The Leafs are going to good for a long time now.

Will take them 3-4 years to get back to respectable, but the guys running the show are smart.

142. VanOil says:

GCW_69,

Competent management by the Leafs is beyond my life experiences, much like change of governments in Alberta.

143. Bar_Qu says:

Woodguy: The Leafs are going to good for a long time now.

This is only if the ownership doesn’t listen to the braying masses and the aggressive media there. I can’t imagine a way they can justify what they are doing that would be acceptable to that market if they don’t turn a corner in the next couple of years. It will be interesting to watch how they handle it this year when they absolutely suck all the time.

144. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

frjohnk,

For sure, Hamilton will be awesome, don’t disagree. I was just pointing out that Gio makes more sense than Hamilton at that acquisition cost. For that reason, for the Flames only, Gio might be the better fit (because getting him signed is a likely possibility).

If you don’t have Gio, then the acquisition cost for Hamilton is less of a consideration. Don’t get me wrong it’s still painful, but it might very well be worth it.

145. G Money says:

GCW_69,

Wow.

That might as well be the summarizing paragraph of a textbook on the use of hockey analytics.

Like WG says, they have smart guys running the Leafs now.

As others have said, it makes me uncomfortable and I do not like it.

146. GCW_69 says:

G Money:
    GCW_69,

Wow.

Like WG says, they have smart guys running the Leafs now.

As others have said, it makes me uncomfortable and I do not like it.

No, I don’t like it either.

147. auzy11 says:

LA is not stupid there will be a Richards attached to Jones,,Or i am not sure he is RFA If so go after him…

148. AsiaOil says:

G Money,

Agree G – it’s an approach we can all agree with.

As for the bet – look let’s just let it go as you proposed. If all 4 guys stay as backups then I actually agree with your analysis and expect you will be right. But it will be interesting to see if some of them attempt to jump up to a starters role and how they do. Scrivens probably never gets another chance – unlikely that Neuvirth or Ramo does either – they just are not good enough. But Talbot will likely get a shot and it will be interesting to see how he does.

149. bendelson says:

Whether it’s Ryan, Seth, Terry, Chipper, Adam or hell, even Janie…
    They are all ‘Jonesy’ to me…

Switching sports for just a moment, that was an insane catch by Donaldson last night.
    Hope the kid that was absolutely steamrolled is alright…