OILERS AT NO. 1: CONNOR MCDAVID

Ranked No. 1 across the board. This is a generational player.

• Craig Button, TSN: Two words; unprecedented speed. Skating speed, hand quickness and mental processing that he executes simultaneously to threaten defenders and create opportunities. He would be the first pick at every draft since Sidney Crosby in 2005, perhaps even in Crosby’s draft year. Source.
  • Red Line: Dynamic speed and acceleration forces dmen to back off the blue line. Has a top end separation gear that’s a blur.
  • ISS: An intelligent, creative player that can wait for the play to come to him or create something out of nothing. A natural playmaker that is not afraid to go to the middle of the ice to make plays and makes those around him better. Has elite hockey IQ and knows where to be on the ice at all times.
  • McKeens: Explodes up the ice in one stride and can blow by a defender before he even has time to pivot .. incredibly balanced and strong on his skates – tough to knock down despite countless attempts by the opposition.
  • Future Considerations: An offensive threat with tremendous speed, McDavid is lethal in transition and makes opponents step back because of his ability to burn them quickly.
  • Black Book: Connor possesses electrifying speed and acceleration. He gets his feet moving instantaneously and gets everything out of his stride, allowing him to pull away from good skaters quickly. At least once per game you would think he has a turbo button for his skates. His vision is outstanding and he always seems to know who’s around him and what his best option is. He combines these two skills to create plays for his
    linemates.
  • Connor McDavid about his combine interview with the Oilers: “It was exciting and obviously that’s the kind of team you want to be with if you are drafted No. 1. [Chiarelli] was saying all the right things. He was intense and he’s definitely looking to win. He’s not going to settle for mediocrity. I just want to make an impression with teams I talk to, make sure they understand what kind of guy I am and what I can bring to their team. Other than that I just want to make sure they know I’m doing all the right things, working hard in the gym, and maybe they’ll put together a decent score for me.” Source

465 Responses to "OILERS AT NO. 1: CONNOR MCDAVID"

« Older Comments
  1. Captain Smarmy says:

Well my initial impression was meh and on further thought its not bad. Good value for both teams. We need defensemen and Griffin allows Nurse to start in the AHL.

2. ashley says:

Everyone’s Gretzky. Unless you were drafted in a year before 2015, then you’re junk.

3. Connorrhea says:

Green is the connection here, no?

4. Coffeys_Messy_eh says:

Man I hope they’re going to trade back into this first round.

5. Colieo87 says:

griffen rieheart

6. Klima's_Bucket says:

At least Reinhart is a right shot…..oh wait…
    Fuck was that stupid.

A proven right shot Dougie Hamilton for picks 15,45,52
    An unproven left shot Griffin Reinhart for picks 16 and 33.

I was saying Boo…urns…

7. doritogrande says:

Hah, Konecny’s going to be available at the OTT pick.

8. Death By Misadventure says:

Man, did the Oilers just trade for an new Moroz?

Griffin is decent, but not nearly worth 16 and 33 with all the talent left.

Holy crap Chia. Stop listening to MacT.

9. thehop says:

Captain Smarmy,

They both make the team and we can dust nicotine and push ference to 7 or 8. Or we could have had Barzal? Undersized pass first centre man. Great trade by the Oilers!

10. kb says:

maybe the 57…. not 33 wow. bring out the scotch

11. Ice Sage says:

Well that was the most entertaining draft in a long time.

12. Ryan says:

LMHF#1:
    Absolutely terrible. That’s a MacTavish move.

Was thinking the same thing.

Good gord.

Absolutely. Fucking. Terrible.

13. The Hermit says:

So now what about a goaler? Sign a UFA or a trade.

14. Lackadaisical says:

As a first big move, I’m not impressed.

It’s an overpay on a good LHD BET.

15. misfit says:

I’m just glad we finally filled that young LD spot in our pipeline.

Is this the final straw for Marincin? Someone is likely to get squeezed out here and I can’t see it being Nurse or Klefbom.

16. striatic says:

This means UFA Goalie and that’s not a bad thing. I would have preferred going after Hamonic or DeHaan out of NYI but Reinhart has more potential.

Certainly a trade looking a couple seasons down the road, but a solid trade nonetheless that could fill a key need much more quickly than using those two picks.

17. LoDog says:

Shows how bad sportsnet is. I guess they havent heard of Bob green.

18. Walter Gretzkys Neighbour says:

My first reaction is both picks was too much.

19. fuzzy muppet says:

Marincin has every chance to be as good as Reinhart. I hate this move.

20. A'bunadh says:

Reinhart would slot in on our third pairing ahead of Ference and Nikitin already and he’s only 21. I’m not in love with the deal, would have preferred the 16th and 57 and kept 33. Bottom line we needed D, he’s at a good age and should be able to come in and grow with the young core.

21. uni says:

Another hard on and huge overpay for a former Oil King.

I thought we were past this shit.

To think Calgary got Dougie Hamilton with only the addition of the 52nd overall pick.

That says it all about how badly the Oilers mishandled these extremely valuable assets.

22. magisterrex says:

I remember when folks in this blog were falling all over themselves with trade scenarios for Edmonton to grab Griffin Reinhardt.

Now he’s junk.

The grass is always greener before its drafted.

23. Professor Q says:

Woah, woah. Not the final straw for Marincin at all.

Seeing him playing with Reinhart again will be nice.

24. OilSafety says:

Didn’t someone say klef has been playing right in tourneys successfully? Is that doable moving forward?

25. Clay says:

This feels like plan “B”. Missed on Hamilton, really want a dman in his early 20’s. I guess we’ll go with Reinhart.

One thing’s for sure, he doesn’t compare to Hamilton offensively.

26. A'bunadh says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    At least Reinhart is a right shot…..oh wait…
    Fuck was that stupid.

A proven right shot Dougie Hamilton for picks 15,45,52
    An unproven left shot Griffin Reinhart for picks 16 and 33.

I was saying Boo…urns…

It takes two to make a deal. Can’t blame Chia for Boston not wanting to dance with him.

27. misfit says:

Professor Q:
    Woah, woah. Not the final straw for Marincin at all.

Seeing him playing with Reinhart again will be nice.

Again?

28. uni says:

striatic,

Barzal has the potential to be a as good as 3rd overall in this season if not for his injury which he seems recovered from.

29. The Hermit says:

Is there a fire with the Rask for Eberle smoke?

30. OilSafety says:

A’bunadh,

Exactly

31. jake70 says:

Wasn’t Reinhart in the discussion for 1 overall by the Oil back in 2012, some in the organization wanted him.

32. LoDog says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Marincin has every chance to be as good as Reinhart.I hate this move.

Im not sure what I think of this trade but I would say this is false.

33. Professor Q says:

misfit: Again?

I thought they played on the Oil Kings?

I probably have my years messed up but I swear…

34. Ice Sage says:

I think we’re overvaluing draft picks here and maybe stuck in the thinking of the past whereby draft picks are oh-so-precious because Oilers were shit. Reinhardt is going to contribute more than any 16 / 33 combo in the next 5 years when McDavid is ascending.

Any bitterness I have is related to not having a shiny new player to hope over!

35. blainer says:

I don’t know the math but he looked real good in the memorial cup to me. We would have been waiting three to five years for the 16th and 33rd .. GR is ready to play now. Too soon to judge but my gut says that he may be real good… Would much rather have had harmonic though..

36. Lackadaisical says:

I think there’s one thing we can all agree on. This is somehow Calgary’s fault.

37. uni says:

magisterrex,

He’s not junk, he’s just been badly overpaid for considering the value in this draft.

For the record some of us never really wanted Reinhart.

38. TeeVee says:

Professor Q:
    Woah, woah. Not the final straw for Marincin at all.

Seeing him playing with Reinhart again will be nice.

Huh?

39. Clay says:

Professor Q: I thought they played on the Oil Kings?

I probably have my years messed up but I swear…

Right first name, right nationality. It was Martin Gernat.

40. OilSafety says:

OilSafety:
    Westcoast oil wrote about him here

He suggested 16ov and shultz

41. Walter Gretzkys Neighbour says:

Professor Q: I thought they played on the Oil Kings?

I probably have my years messed up but I swear…

Was it Gernat and Reinhart maybe?

42. Gerta Rauss says:

new post is up

43. ashley says:

Ice Sage:

Any bitterness I have is related to not having a shiny new player to hope over!

Exactly right. This is the best time to trade draft picks. The Isles don’t trade Griffen at the trade deadline for a couple of draft picks. No chance in hell. This is smart asset management and a good bet.

44. Klima's_Bucket says:

This article will make you think about whether the Oilers will come out on the good side of the Reinhart deal.

45. G Money says:

I don’t really know much about Griffin Reinhart, other than he was terrific for the Oil Kings, and then went fourth overall to the Islanders.

So I don’t know if this is a good trade or a bad trade.

But a few questions for those who are wailing and hand-wringing over this trade (and there are a LOT of you):

Reinhart was picked fourth overall. Is 16 and 33 for #4 unreasonable? Even in a deep draft, maybe he goes #10 – is 16 and 33 for #10 so unreasonable?

Secondly, here is is talent analysis from Hockey’s Prospects:

Talent Analysis

Reinhart has great size, budding talent, and good bloodlines. He has good hockey sense to go along with his size and ability. While he doesn’t excel in any one area of the game, he doesn’t have many weaknesses, either. Reinhart can work on his skating, and he could still make better use of his size.

Future

Reinhart made the Islanders opening night roster in 2014-15, appearing in three games before being sent to AHL affiliate Bridgeport for his first pro season. Expected to be a staple on the New York blueline for years to come, he will need some time to adapt to the speed and strength at the pro level and refine his game. Long-term he is projected to be a top two pairing defender that is effective on both ends of the ice.

If this summary is to be believed, we just drafted a defenseman projected to be a top pairing guy, who’s already had a year of development in the Jrs and the AHL. His ceiling (according to this) is similar to Nurse’s, and he is already where we want Nurse to be next year: competing for a roster spot after a year in the AHL.

So what am I missing here?

46. Oil2Oilers (formerly VanOil) says:

There are still players on the board that I would prefer than a defender that cant skate

47. Oil2Oilers (formerly VanOil) says:

Detroit does it again

48. striatic says:

ashley: It’s no fun for all of us draftniks who were so excited about players falling to us at 16. Like someone stole Christmas. But once we sober up from our drunken draft state, this will make good sense.

It also hurts that Calgary made a spectacularly good trade for Hamilton, but that was a spectacular deal.

Just because the Bruins are cuckoo clocks doesn’t mean the Islanders or any other team would be.

49. magisterrex says:

I love this trade. Former Oil King? So what.

Will be an anchor on the blue line for a long time to come.

50. Clay says:

A blueline with Nurse and Reinhart will not be timid.

51. Oil2Oilers (formerly VanOil) says:

G Money: So what am I missing here?

Can’t skate, won’t shoot but otherwise he is great

Edit: this sounded pisser than I intended

52. uni says:

G Money,

Draft picks are overvalued at the draft.

I don’t think he’s garbage, I just think the Oilers undersold their picks.

A highly touted Rundblad who scored a PPG in the SEL that draft year, was traded straight up for 15th, which Tarasenko was drafted with.

53. RexLibris says:

When you consider what the Flames paid for Hamilton…

…I’m just going to go sit over there for awhile and stew.

54. Lackadaisical says:

G Money,

LHD. A bet, a good bet, but a bet. No bullets left in our chamber. Overpay. And most of all, jealousy over the Dougie Hamilton deal.

55. Oddspell says:

Question for the group:

Chia is talking to Lombardi on the camera. pick 43 rolls around, we know Marincin’s on the out. Assuming Marincin is 100% traded by October, who could be on the board for that trade to make sense? If Kylington’s somehow still there then I think I might consider it. Really really like that player.

56. AsiaOil says:

G Money,

Agree G – so much handwriting over passing up another undersized forward. No elite defensmen left and we got a guy who went top 5 and has in no way been a disappointment. People also forget that Calgary also takes on $7 million in salary and I think our GM is pretty well positioned to assess whether that is a good idea or not.

57. DocFan says:

For all of you comparing Reinhart trade to Hamilton trade – Stop. That trade wasn’t available to Chiarelli.

Boston wanted 16/33/57 AND Nurse for Hamilton.

Instead we did 16/33 for Reinhart. Seems much more reasonable option for the long term and future of this defence.

Boston however just cut of it’s nose to spite it’s face. More accurately Chiarelli’s face.

Edit: Chiarelli knew what he was getting in Hamilton, But Bob Green also knows what we got in Reinhart.

58. T0ML says:

I thoguht a lot of people here liked Bob Greene? Or do we have pitch forks for him now?

Instead of two scratch offs we have a developed D-man who was projected as a top 2 , two-way defender …. isn’t this exactly what 90% of the board has been bitching about us needing ? And he is in the cluster age to boot, AND cheap for a few years …..

WOOOOTTTTTT – MCDAVIDDDDDDD

59. RexLibris says:

G Money: So what am I missing here?

Perhaps nothing.

My reservations stem from seeing Hamilton go to Calgary for 15 and a pair of 2nds.

The Oilers had 16 and a pair of 2nds that were both higher (significantly so) and lower.

Now, maybe Neely/Sweeney aren’t returning Chiarelli’s calls right now, but given what the Flames got for a shade more cost, I’m underwhelmed.

I thought Reinhart did reasonably well as a shutdown guy in the WHL.

I’d have to have seen a great deal more to convince me that he will become a top-pairing d-man.

Granted, the prospects available at 16 and 33 might not have as high a ceiling, but I just keep coming back to Dougie Hamilton and. It. Pisses. Me. Off.

I hope I’m wrong.

I hope Reinhart, Nurse, Klefbom and Marincin become a dynamic top-four defense corps. But out of that group, I’d rank Reinhart closer to Marincin than the other two, and I will have to admit that I haven’t watched Reinhart since he left the WHL so he may have developed significantly since then.

I will say this though, at least the Islanders took it slow and steady with Reinhart.

60. Professor Q says:

Clay: Right first name, right nationality.It was Martin Gernat.

Damn it. The Twin Martins…well that was silly of me.

61. thehop says:

uni,

Conjecture…. If reinhart was a redhead he would have gone first overall in 2012.

62. kb says:

okay so it looks like roy and kylington are going to be there at 33ov…. does that make this a bad move

barzal and kylington or roy for reinhart. guess time will telll

63. Halfwise says:

I like the trade. I don’t love the trade because #33 would have been a great pick to scoop up the first round players who got bumped by teams going walkabout. (Hi Boston!) And the Falmes getting Hamilton is going to hurt for a very long time.

Reinhart has the pedigree and is developing. Before McDeity’s 3rd season, I’d expect him to be an important part of the D. He isn’t in the NHL now because Garth Snow put a lot of very good defensemen in front of him.

Now, Chia should offer sheet Dougie Hamilton in Calgary just for gits and shiggles. $7.1 ought to do it.

64. winnyt says:

I gotta say…I think it is pretty bush league of Katz to insist his son gets to hand the #1 pick his jersey. Looks like classic rich-boy favortism.

« Older Comments