DOLLAR SIGN ON THE MUSCLE

Before we jump headlong into free-agent week, let’s review what Peter Chiarelli did at the draft. He added two new defensemen and sent one away. Did he move the team forward on the weekend in the short term? How many moves are left? Let’s ask the questions, one at a time:

By sending away Martin Marincin and adding Eric Gryba, was anything gained?

gryba marincin

The ZS’s are the same, Corsi is fairly close and they even play the same minutes (close, anyway). The difference for Edmonton? Marincin is going to get better and is under control. Gryba, who had a pretty good year in 2013-14 with Marc Methot (in terms of possession), is a UFA next summer. If the club was going to deal Marincin, I had hoped it was going to be in a package for a top pairing D. As it is, they got a player in Gryba who can do the same job as Marincin did last season, but has nowhere close to the same future. Peter Chiarelli’s closest advisors, including Craig MacTavish, clearly didn’t value the player and Chiarelli either agreed or didn’t like him enough to keep him. This was in no way full value for Marincin, and he joins Jeff Petry and a host of other blue sent away before their time because Oilers. This is the kind of thing Edmonton fans are hoping Peter Chiarelli stops doing and the trade serves as a sober reminder that the front office still has the past inside the room.

Is Cam Talbot really worth all of those picks?

Using the Lowetide list for trade value, the picks worked out to:

• No. 57 overall: (Actual pick: Jonas Siegenthaler) (Lowetide pick: Oliver Kylington)
  • No. 79 overall: (Actual pick: Sergey Zborovskiy) (Lowetide pick: Ryan Pilon)
  • No. 184 overall: (Actual pick: Adam Huska) (Lowetide pick: Vladimir Tkachev)

For:

• G Cam Talbot
  • No. 209 overall: (Actual pick: Ziyat Paigin) (Lowetide pick: Nathan Noel)

I think this was a great deal for Edmonton IF they can sign him to a longer deal and with the caveat sample size. Despite the wonderful work of Darcy McLeod and others, we need to remind ourselves that small sample sizes can be trouble. The quality available with those picks was good—my list shows there was a lot of unusual picks starting at No. 35, normally a sign of a dip in quality—but Cam Talbot looks fine from here and I’m not going to bitch if this goes south.

Was Griffin Reinhart worth all those picks?

I like the player, loved watching him in junior and he’s getting a bad rap online currently (he CAN actually skate. Honest. He’s not Paul Coffey but these Hal Gill diatribes are insane) and I believe he’ll have a productive career. Second pairing, lots of PK time, he’s certainly in that group of impressive young blue along with Oscar Klefbom and Darnell Nurse. The cost was heavy:

• No. 16 overall: (Actual pick: Mathew Barzal) (Lowetide pick: Mathew Barzal)
  • No. 33 overall: (Actual pick: Mitchell Stephens) (Lowetide pick: Jansen Harkins)

I love my picks and that was a lot to give up. That said, the Oilers (Chiarelli and Bob Green I expect had the most input here) liked him on draft day and imo that 2012 draft never did sit well with the scouts. So they got their man and the price was dear, very dear. One of the things I find somewhat incredible currently is the verbal surrounding Reinhart. I’ve heard smart people talk about him being another Colten Teubert, about his skating ability not being NHL calibre, and it being a joke that Darnell Nurse would be sent to Bakersfield while Reinhart stays in Edmonton.

Here’s an idea: Why don’t we acknowledge our own limitations (lots of talk about the Oilers not seeing Reinhart in the AHL and taking a chance, but we don’t seem bound by the same limitations in making our own opinions known, with extreme prejudice) and frame things in a way that makes us look less crazy? Can we agree that the price paid was very high? I think we can. Can we agree that Peter Chiarelli and Bob Green put their proverbial asses on the line? Yes, that too. Can we also acknowledge that Griffin Reinhart was an exceptional junior and that his junior career ended a year ago? Check.

I would have rather seen the picks made, that’s for sure. I think the Oilers might have drafted Evgeni Svechnikov and Travis Dermott and for me that has more value moving forward than Griffin Reinhart. I’m also aware that Peter Chiarelli is under enormous pressure to turn this team north—and soon—with defense and defensive depth being a primary issue. If Griffin Reinhart comes to camp, plays well, and ends up in Bakersfield (with Nurse here) would I be surprised? Hell no, I’m on record saying there’s very little chance Darnell Nurse loses a job based on his mobility and range of skills compared to the rest of the current blue.

That’s the bottom line for me. Reinhart MAY be NHL-ready. Projecting him as a solution this fall is jumping the gun. It’s his job to prove himself worthy of a spot and I’m not going to bet against him. You’ll be surprised with Griffin Reinhart’s mobility this fall (based on what I’m reading). Trust me. Was he worth the price? Not in my opinion.

What did they get? A big, strong defenseman with impressive wingspan, a physical edge and solid puck skills. His defensive play is a big part of his game and we should expect lots of tough EV time and a healthy dose of PK time when he arrives. He’s bona fide.

Was there value on the table late? Did Edmonton get some?

Remember last week when I listed five players from the CHL that represented ‘extreme’ value based on even-strength points-per-game? Here’s what happened, with my final number, player name and their draft number plus destination:

• No. 27 Blake Speers—No. 67 to the New Jersey Devils
  • No. 49 Dmytro Timashov—No. 125 to the Toronto Maple Leafs
  • No. 84 Dante Salituro—was not drafted
  • No. 87 Yakov Trenin—No. 55 to the Nashville Predators
  • No. 116 Kay Schweri—was not drafted

I like much of the Oilers draft (McDavid, Bear, Jones, Marino and the big Russian Paigin) but there was valuable skill available throughout and they didn’t take what was available, even late. Grabbing Salituro or Schweri with a late pick could have helped this draft. While I’m at it, let’s list the entire draft, without trades, using the Lowetide list:

• No. 1 overall: C Connor McDavid.
  • No. 16 overall: C Mathew Barzal
  • No. 33 overall: C Jansen Harkins
  • No. 57 overall: D Oliver Kylington
  • No. 79 overall: D Ryan Pilon
  • No. 86 overall: C Andrew Mangiapane
  • No. 117 overall: D Ethan Bear
  • No. 124 overall: R Nikita Korostelev
  • No. 154 overall: C Nathan Noel
  • No. 184 overall: L Vladimir Tkachev

There are no goalies, and small forwards show up several times. Still, that’s a fine list, skill everywhere. OH, and my final selection, Tkachev? I had him ranked No. 67 overall.

Believe it or not, people were upset about this tweet. Come on. That’s funny! Anyone who can have a sense of humor after the last five seasons is alright in my books.

50-MAN LIST AT 40 NOW

1. G Cam Talbot (As Casey Kasem would say ‘a new No. 1’)
  2. G Ben Scrivens (Backup, suspect for the entire season)
  3. G Laurent Brossoit (AHL starter had a good year, needs another)
  4. G Eetu Laurikainen (A great damn bet)
  5. D Mark Fayne (A big part of next year’s team)
  6. D Oscar Klefbom (The future and the present)
  7. D Nikita Nikitin (Waiver announcements at 10 this morning)
  8. D Eric Gryba (Another D-zone blue with NHL experience to help Fayne, Ference)
  9. D Andrew Ference (Captain pressbox, looks like)
  10. D Griffin Reinhart (I predict he’ll play 49 NHL games in 2015-16)
  11. D Darnell Nurse (I predict he’ll play 70 NHL games in 2015-16)
  12. D Brad Hunt (He’ll see NHL time)
  13. D David Musil (Could get some NHL time)
  14. D Jordan Oesterle (Fast and skilled, could surprise)
  15. D Dillon Simpson (Probably a full season in Bakersfield)
  16. D Martin Gernat (They may try to get him off the roster)
  17. D Ben Betker (May need to spend some time in the ECHL if it gets crowded)
  18. D Joey Laleggia (Can learn plenty from Hunt and Oesterle in Bakersfield)
  19. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Nuge is gonna shine)
  20. C Anton Lander (Important player for 15-16)
  21. C Boyd Gordon (veteran could be trade bait by deadline if things break right)
  22. C Leon Draisaitl (Man amongst boys in Memorial Cup)
  23. C Bogdan Yakimov (Big C still developing, factor down the line)
  24. C Jujhar Khaira (Solid checker, offense may keep him from NHL career)
  25. C Kyle Platzer (New pro has two-way skills)
  26. L Taylor Hall (Rumor of a new C coming in may help spike numbers)
  27. L Benoit Pouliot (Important player for next season)
  28. L Matt Hendricks (Had a wonderful year, can he do it again?)
  29. L Luke Gazdic (How much will he play?)
  30. L Ryan Hamilton (he’ll be the veteran hand in the  minors helping to guide the kids)
  31. L Anton Slepyshev (Can’t wait to see him in TC)
  32. L Mitch Moroz (Should see way more action in Bakersfield in 2015-16)
  33. L Kale Kessy (Lost season to injury, another chance in 2015-16)
  34. R Jordan Eberle (Top RW primed for a big year)
  35. R Nail Yakupov  (He’s still here, people!)
  36. R Teddy Purcell (Speed only real issue)
  37. R Rob Klinkhammer (4line RW, crash and bang)
  38. R Iiro Pakarinen (Has a chance to make the team)
  39. R Andrew Miller (A strong option for NHL time in 2015-16)
  40. R Greg Chase (His game should flourish in pro’s)

We should know the list of RFA’s qualified some time today and the candidates are:

1. G Tyler Bunz (Won’t be qualified)
  2. D Justin Schultz (He’ll be qualified)
  3. D Brandon Davidson (He’ll be qualified)
  4. D Keith Aulie (Won’t be qualified)
  5. C Kellen Lain (Won’t be qualified)
  6. L Matt Fraser (Could go either way)
  7. L Curtis Hamilton (Won’t be qualified)
  8. R Tyler Pitlick (Could go either way)

Others who will or could be signed:

1. C Connor McDavid (I’m thinking there’s a chance)
  2. L Josh Winquist (He’s a good hockey player, they should sign him)
  3. R John McCarron (graduating college player, they have some time to sign him)

I expect the 50-man list will be at 43 (McDavid, Schultz, Davidson) with one or two possible adds after that and of course if we see a three-for-one (candles lit!) this number could change. Buyouts could impact, too. If Davidson and Schultz are qualified, Edmonton would have 16 defensemen on the list, that’s a bit heavy.

tomei5

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Monday! Waivers, buyouts, HHOF, who are the Oilers talking to? 10 this morning, TSN1260.

• Scott Burnside, ESPN. Crazy weekend at the draft, more crazy to come with free agency this week.
  • Alanna Phillips, CFL is For Girls. Devastating weekend in the CFL. My house is in mourning.
  • Dennis King, Oilogosphere Icon. Reinhart wrath, and I think he may have seen Kevin Lowe at the Oilers draft table.
  • Bob Weeks, TSN. Graham DeLaet finished fourth this weekend, qualifies for the British Open in July.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. This show may burn down the house.

268 Responses to "DOLLAR SIGN ON THE MUSCLE"

« Older Comments
  1. LMHF#1 says:

Bob on the radio talking about playing Gazdic a bunch more and that shedding Marincin as redundant was a positive.

I really shouldn’t be surprised but I am.

2. Snowman says:

The more I listen to Bob the more I realize he’s not that much better informed than any of us when predicting things in the future.

He might have some inside knowledge a day or two in advance but for the most part he’s guessing and lots of his guesses are not very good.

3. Connorrhea says:

Pronman on Reinhart:

Reinhart should not have been picked 4th overall, and his offense has never and will never be elite, but he’s a very good prospect. I thought the deal was equitable for both sides. I see Barzal as a somewhat better prospect, but the extra pick there evened it out, as well Griff is closer to the NHL (I think he’ll push for a job this season if the depth chart allows for it). Only thing I heard around AHL rinks for Griff was praise, even if it wasn’t “he’ll be a star dman” level.

4. G Money says:

LMHF#1:
    So, anyone know what’s happening here: http://www.tsn.ca/kings-terminate-richards-contract-1.321143

Whew, good luck with that.

5. Dashingsilverfox says:

G Money: So *that’s* how Lombardi wants to try and get around the contracts that have put him in cap hell – by pretending they don’t exist.

Whew, good luck with that.

Lombardi graduated with honours from Tulane where he specialized in labor law.

The man obviously knows what he’s doing and it seems NHL head office agrees with him.

No pretending involved.

6. Rational Zealot says:

The opportunity cost of the deal is massive. It isn’t just the Barzal comparison or whomever else on the board you happen to like. Those two picks were the best assets the Oilers had to acquire new players and they used them on someone who isn’t going to help this year and is no guarantee to help at all.

What would Ellis have cost? Ekholm?

Both these guys are young, cheap, and better than Reinhart. What would they have cost? We’ll never know because a different path was taken

I also like how some posters can take a scouting report that says “average skating” and turn it into a good thing. I mean, it’s one thing to know you are average but to actually be described as average is a high compliment indeed.

And then top it off with the weakness of not using his size enough when his size is his best asset.

If MacTavish had made this deal he would have been pilloried here mercilessly.

7. G Money says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Yes, only the NHL side has legal knowledge to bear on this I’m sure.

8. Connorrhea says:

Boston BruinsVerified account
    ‏@NHLBruins

Neely at it again.

9. Tire Fire says:

From TSN’s piece on Kessel:

“I probably need a veteran UFA defenseman or I have to trade for one,” Murray said. “I’ve been talking to teams about a left-shot D.”

Please, please, please, please be Ference.

Edit: Oops, wasn’t clear. That’s Buffalo’s Murray quoted.

10. oilswell says:

Rational Zealot:
    What would Ellis have cost?Ekholm?

Both these guys are young, cheap, and better than Reinhart.What would they have cost?We’ll never know because a different path was taken

Tire Fire:
    From TSN’s piece on Kessel:

Please, please, please, please be Ference.

BUF Murray?

CALL HIM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. flyfish1168 says:

oilswell: How do you know it was because “a different path was taken” rather than because “they weren’t available at that price”? We know Chiarelli was knocking on other doors, perhaps I missed where he publicly enumerated all the leaves he turned over looking for help on D?

Be interesting to see if there will be a leak from a source or MacT will talk.

13. thejonrmcleod says:

Woodguy,

Order up a delivery of mushrooms first.

14. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Rational Zealot,

I think the consensus opinion is that it was a steep price, likely a negative value deal, but not extreme negative.

This idea that we could have gotten a better return on the picks is an interesting one, because it’s a wonderful statement that has absolutely no way to be proven.

What would Ellis have cost?

I don’t know. I went to the Predators website and his price wasn’t listed. I tried calling but I couldn’t get through to the sales department. Terrible customer service if you ask me.

15. John Chambers says:

Rational Zealot,

I think you can only judge who is available through who was actually traded.

Gryba, Reinhart, Zadorov, Marincin, and Hamilton were traded. I doubt Nashville is interested in carving into the core of their defense for draft picks – their competition window is wide open and prospects are of no use to them.

We can all agree that Hamilton would’ve been prime candidate A, B, and C, but suggesting Chiarelli didn’t explore other avenues to address the defense when there’s a ton of evidence to support the contrary, is well, irrational.

Holy Shit.

Sweeney just traded a 2016 3rd for Zac Rinaldo

QUICK CHIA!!

CALL TO SEE IF BERGERON IS AVAILABLE.

Thank Gord Sweeney and Benning got jobs as GMs, I was beginning to miss Holmgren.

17. Snowman says:

Woodguy,

Maybe he’d do a Gazdic for Bergeron straight up?

18. Doug McLachlan says:

Connorrhea: FollowBoston BruinsVerified account‏@NHLBruinsBruins acquire Zac Rinaldo from the Flyers in exchange for a 3rd round pick in 2017. Read release: http://bbru.in/1U1gzHW ^BBNeely at it again.

Right you are. We should stop beating ourselves up for not being about to Jedi-mind trick Sweeney as well as the Sith-lords down the highway and get back to making Chia’s ex-employers regret their lives.

What should Spooner and Connelly expect to get with their next deals?

Spooner seems interesting, though clearly getting sheltered treatment.

A $1.2M offer sheet requires no compensation and would be a healthy raise for the young lad. Does he slot into role for the Oilers as a young, depth forward? Chia would know.

In a similar vein, Brett Connolly is also getting the sheltered treatment in Boston.

Again a $1.2M offer sheet gives him an almost 50% raise. If you see his addition as something that makes sense moving forward there is no compensation if not matched, throws a nice little hand grenade into the Neely-Sweeney hen house and as they clearly are acting out of emotion as opposed to reason they may just over-react and offer-sheet J.Shultz.

When your opponent is on tilt, bet into them. Hard.

19. Ben says:

A 3rd for Rinaldo?

Brutal overpay. Oilers could’ve gotten one-and-a-half Jerrod Smithsons for that

20. Ben says:

Also, super excited to see Stanley Cup winning former-Oiler Chris Pronger inducted into the Hockey Hall of FaVOOOOMMMMIIITTTT

21. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Ben,

That’s like a 78% playoff faceoff percentage!!!

22. Doug McLachlan says:

Ben,

Want to see the Arizona Coyotes send out the tweet!

23. flyfish1168 says:

Snowman:
    Woodguy,

Maybe he’d do a Gazdic for Bergeron straight up?

I’d demand they keep half his salary

24. Ducey says:

Woodguy:
    Holy Shit.

Sweeney just traded a 2016 3rd for Zac Rinaldo

QUICK CHIA!!

CALL TO SEE IF BERGERON IS AVAILABLE.

Its ironic that BOS is now going to have to spend years chasing around some form of functional toughness: ie a Lucic replacement.

The must need a heavy weight. Gazdic for a 2nd?

Ben:
    A 3rd for Rinaldo?

Brutal overpay. Oilers could’ve gotten one-and-a-half Jerrod Smithsons for that

Are you on twitter?

If not, can I steal that?

Pure gold.

26. Doug McLachlan says:

Doug McLachlan: Ben, Want to see the Arizona Coyotes send out the tweet!

Oh dear, I meant the Pronger/Coyote thing as a joke and then I saw this:

Anaheim Ducks ‏@AnaheimDucks · 1m1 minute ago
    From the #MightyDucks to the @HockeyHallFame. Way to go, Sergei!

You all recall Sergei Fedorov, famous for his years as an Anaheim Duck 🙂 Love it!

Oilers make their RFA decisions:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 12s12 seconds ago

The #Oilers have issued qualifying offers to d-men Justin Schultz & Brandon Davidson, plus forward Tyler Pitlick.

Pitlick makes the cut again.

I’m hoping like hell for that kid.

28. thejonrmcleod says:

Jason Gregor @JasonGregor
    The Oilers qualified Schultz, Davidson and Pitlick. Meaning, Aulie, Fraser, Ross, Bunz, Hamilton and Lain are now UFAs. #RFAs

29. DBO says:

thejonrmcleod:
    Jason Gregor @JasonGregor

No Hamilton, which is unfortunate. I liked him more then Pitlick, although Pitlick does have the “look” of the bottom 6 forward, with speed, size, aggressiveness and a solid shot. Health being biggest issue. But he fits the “heaviness” desire by Chia. Lets get that kid some bubble wrap!

30. 10W30 says:

Sweeny is making MacT look like Bill Walsh

31. Ben says:

Exclusive footage of Tyler Pitlick celebrating his QO!:

32. Магия 10 says:

Picturesque:
    Why is no one talking about the post-draft presser interviews with Chia? The Oilers site has the raw footage and Chia says “we had some guys at 16 that we liked”and the guy they liked was still on the board at 16, and “wasn’t taken at 16, either” – so Chia was never going to take Barzal. Was it Svechnikov? Or maybe it was Chabot who went to Ottawa at 18. He said they were “hunting for a defenseman”.

Also, Chia said there were a lot of GMs who wanted to move up to #16, but the offers were for “nobody he wanted” and “for no defensemen” except for Reinhart. So it starts to sound like Oilers were drafting for need and “the future is now” narrative.

33. Магия 10 says:

Connorrhea: I see Barzal as a somewhat better prospect, but the extra pick there evened it

there is a basic math problem there.

Edit: I need to pay more attention to what the quote button does. I wanted to reply with the quote from Pronman. Thanks for calling that out, C.

34. Bank Shot says:

thejonrmcleod:
    Jason Gregor @JasonGregor

I don’t get the Ross thing at all. Why didn’t Toronto just not qualify him?

What’s the point in trading for a guy that you don’t intend to qualify?

Seems to utterly pointless.

35. Connorrhea says:

Магия 10: there is a basic math problem there.

Not to mention a quoting problem. I didn’t say that.

36. Ducey says:

thejonrmcleod:
    Jason Gregor @JasonGregor

The original Aulie Fraser was much more memorable.

Riley Nash was not qualified by CAR.

38. Doug McLachlan says:

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle · 3m3 minutes ago
    Hurricanes do not give qualifying offer to Jared Staal and Riley Nash.

Wait, what? Another former Oiler failing to make the cut with another organization. Sad to see.

Did Toronto qualify Marincin?

39. LMHF#1 says:

Woodguy:
    Riley Nash was not qualified by CAR.

The Oilers won a trade?!?!

40. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Bank Shot,

He’s from Edmonton, now for the rest of his life he’ll be able to say he was an Edmonton Oiler? Could be as simple as that I guess, otherwise I’m at a loss.

41. Магия 10 says:

Rational Zealot: I’ll stop complaining about Reinhart if everyone else will stop calling him “NHL ready.” He’s not.

Chia says next season, but he does not say day 1:

Willis: “No. 7 Defenceman: LD/RD Griffin Reinhart. Chiarelli made it clear in his post-draft comments that Reinhart had been acquired with the expectation of him making the Oilers next season. Likely, that wouldn’t be in the No. 7 role; teams generally prefer their highly-touted 21-year-olds be playing in games”

42. Магия 10 says:

G Money:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Yes, only the NHL side has legal knowledge to bear on this I’m sure.

Free agents will be lining up to deal with him, especially if he loses.

43. G Money says:

Doug McLachlan:
    James Mirtle ‏@mirtle· 3m3 minutes ago
    Hurricanes do not give qualifying offer to Jared Staal and Riley Nash.

Wait, what?Another former Oiler failing to make the cut with another organization.Sad to see.

Did Toronto qualify Marincin?

Guess not.

44. verdad2.0 says:

Rational Zealot,

Why would anyone believe Ellis was available for a 16th overall pick?
    No one would make that deal.

As for Barzal, who cares about a prospect that would no relevance to the OIlers line up for 4 or 5 years?

45. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: Riley Nash was not qualified by CAR.

Wow. What?

46. Richard S.S. says:

I firmly believe that most everybody shut their brain off to go boozing Draft Weekend. When it came time to turn it back on people found their brain had shorted out. They/you don’t realize it was’t working to start with.

I don’t understand the “my opinion is right even if the facts prove me wrong”, the facts don’t matter.

Does anyone remember what Peter Chiarelli’s last job was? That should settle any Hamilton questions totally.

47. Магия 10 says:

Ben:

So does he wear the Flyers or Yotes sweater?

48. Магия 10 says:

Connorrhea: Not to mention a quoting problem. I didn’t say that.

I meant with Pronman. Damn quote button. It should know what I meant. Thanks.

49. verdad2.0 says:

Woodguy,

What a blunder?
    Pitlick , what utility does this bum offer?
    Has no discernible value in hockey terms.
    When do the Oilers actually dispense with garbage?
    All the sadder in the context of losing Marincin and Petry for nothing.

But we can all revel in the glory of Pitlick.
    Ugh!

50. Connorrhea says:

Eric Macramalla
    ‏@EricOnSportsLaw
    If my information is indeed accurate on reason for terminating #MikeRichards deal, it’s still doesn’t seem to be enough of a reason.

51. Bank Shot says:

G Money: Huh, for some reason I was under the impression that Nash was actually doing OK in CAR.

Guess not.

20 plus points two seasons in a row. That seems like ok production for a bottom six guy.

Too much like Marc Pouliot maybe? Does most things alright, but nothing well?

52. Picturesque says:

Магия 10: had discussed that on the weekend threads and was going to paste in the exact Q&A whenever I got a chance. thx for that.

Lots of gems in those raw interviews on OilersTV …even check out the morning media availability before the draft Friday morning. Chia says he’s looking for two D, one puck move, one stay home (Gryba fits that bill).

53. G Money says:

As part of the follow up discussion with Kmart and GreatMutato about my ‘developmental timelines’ Nerd Alert, I’ve been looking at possible comparables to existing NHL defensemen, and what I would say is that Chia Pete has gone and found the guy he believes might be his next Dennis Seidenberg.

Of course, he still needs his Zdeno Chara, but details details…

54. Магия 10 says:

Pouzar: Wow. What?

Hah. And we got Marty I mean GR I mean Gryba and Ross for that.

55. Marc says:

Ducey: I had really no idea of who Zac Rinaldo was, but looking at his stats (5th round pick), 6pts and 102 PIM’s, yeah, that looks bad.

The must need a heavy weight.Gazdic for a 2nd?

This thread is hilarious: http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2015/6/29/8863519/zac-rinaldo-acquired-by-don-sweeney-for-our-next-gms-2017-3rd-round

It’s mostly fans from other teams stopping by to offer Bruins fans their condolences. In less than a week Sweeney has gone from provoking glee in rival fans to provoking pity.

56. Professor Q says:

Магия 10: So does he wear the Flyers or Yotes sweater?

Whalers, of course.

57. Professor Q says:

Connorrhea:

Eric Macramalla
    ‏@EricOnSportsLaw

Conspiring with Snowy Stoll?

58. spoiler says:

LT said…

What a strange thing to say. Neither you nor I know what the future holds for Martin. I wish the best for him but he is certainly no guarantee to turn into a competent 2nd pairing guy. Nor do we know the future for Gryba. By the numbers Gryba is the better defenseman right now. We have a surplus of defensemen on the left side. We have a surplus of players without a physical element.

We have a dearth of defensemen on the right. We have a dearth of players with a physical element.

This was a move for…. BALANCE!

And one of the smartest things Chia did over the weekend. It’s sad that’s not getting any acknowledgement here. You were coming down on this deal before looking at Gryba’s stats. That’s not a fair shake.

LT said…

Was he worth the price? Not in my opinion.

Hmm… you like the player, and the Oil paid full market price for him, but he’s not worth it? That just seems like bizarre contrarianism again. Sour grapes like losing Marincin for Gryba, rather than honest assessment.

Granted Reinhart was expensive. Good young defensemen are. But still cheaper than a proven vet with the same amount of term (at least 6 yrs). If you like the defenseman you have to like this deal. You can’t be upset just because he wasn’t on sale, yet, however, you are.

59. square_wheels says:

G Money,

I will quote Ricky from TPB – “I toad a so, I fucking toad a so”.

Lombardi is a weasel and I hope the NHLPA calls bullshit and fights back. As well, until this is resolved I hope Bettman counter weasels him with a “you’re not off the hook until this is through arbitration.

Fuck LA, bunch of asshats.

60. 719 says:

TheGreatMcMutato: FWIW, here is the Vollman on Reinhart’s 8 games:

Reinhart is the tiny red dot way over on the left. Not much of a whiff of the OZ but didn’t get totally murdered. He needs some NHL games this season. Badly.

Thank you!

61. oilswell says:

Snowman:
    McSorley33,

Chia did say he saw GR and he liked his game for a while (I think the I saw that on Oilers TV).

Chiarelli is well known to like players who play hard, have a little nasty.

Marincin out, Gryba and Reinhart in.

Seems pretty consistent with the thesis that Chiarelli is driving the bus to me. I mean, it could be the OBN targeting three Eastern conference players, but it could easily just be Chia too, right?

Sometimes the simplest explanation is the most slippery.

62. Google says:

Google

Here is a great Blog You may Come across Intriguing that we encourage you to visit.

63. malinpaul says:

Klefbom is not a #1 D in the NHL. Get ready to say goodbye to one of our top 10 FW…

Hall + 2016 1st rd pick + couple prospects

could that get us a real #1?

64. avoir code psn gratuit says:

avoir code psn gratuit

[…]Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine a couple of unrelated information, nevertheless genuinely really worth taking a search, whoa did one study about Mid East has got additional problerms as well […]

65. http://riotersports.com/?s=Miami+Heat says:

[…]here are some hyperlinks to internet sites that we link to mainly because we believe they are worth visiting[…]

66. Pirater un Compte Facebook says:

Pirater un Compte Facebook

[…]always a huge fan of linking to bloggers that I like but don’t get quite a bit of link appreciate from[…]

67. RMUTT says:

RMUTT

[…]usually posts some very interesting stuff like this. If you are new to this site[…]

« Older Comments