IN EVERY DREAM HOME A HEARTACHE

I wish I could be a fly on the wall during scouting meetings. Based on what we know, it’s 12 angry men in a room arguing over about 150 kids from across the northern hemisphere. As a long time fan of the draft, I wonder how conclusions are drawn (WHY didn’t anyone draft Nathan Noel? I had him No. 48?!!! Maybe I’ll go with bigger font next season) and some of the picks on other teams would never go to my team. As an example, Winnipeg took a guy Edmonton would never have on their list, guaranteed. How do I know? His scouting report. Edmonton has tendencies, pure and simple. Those tendencies have them draft a 20-year old goalie in the seventh round instead of Tyler Soy or Nathan Noel and those tendencies will be there again next year. 12 guys in a room creates bias and body odor, these things are true. In the Oilers’ case, their own brand of strange brew also created some nice things at the draft.

ETHAN BEAR

In Red Line’s scouting report, they say Ethan Bear is a ‘sharp, tape to tape passer’ and that’s an important part of today’s game. If you can send a puck to the forward in stride, there’s an electric moment when the other side engages and hit ‘haul ass’ mode. It’s fun to watch when you’re at the rink because good teams have only two forwards chasing and three men tracking. It’s kind of a sling shot moment when the forward (I’m imagining Taylor Hall) flies through the neutral zone and the crowd rises in anticipation. That happens many times in a game, most of the sorties crash and burn (or go offside, lordy I’ve lived through too many offsides) but the tic-tac-toe of a goal begins with that crisp pass from the dungeon to the sweet open ice where the great men push the river.

• Red Line: Stocky, powerfully built, and hits like a Mack truck.
  • Black Book: he prefers to use outlet passes, which he is very good at delivering to his teammates—sometimes sending the puck tape-to-tape from his own goalline to the opposition’s blueline.
  • McKeens: strong, physical defender – solidly-built and a tenacious competitor .. not flashy skill wise, however makes smart plays and packs a powerful shot.
  • ISS: Does a lot of things well, but mainly plays a strong defensive and physical game. Strong in front of the net and along the boards, doesn’t run around in the defensive zone and has good positioning.
  • Future Considerations: Bear is a puck-moving defenseman who plays a top pairing role with Seattle. He is a very mobile player, skating powerfully and exhibiting good speed and a knack for rushing the puck.
    Good edge work and quick in transition allows him to have a good jump on the play.

I’ll do this for each drafted player over the next week or so.

SAIL ON, SAIL ON

1. G Tyler Bunz: Injuries impacted him, he never really got traction in the minors. You never know with goalies, so maybe we hear from him again.
  2. G Frans Tuohimaa: He showed more than Bunz and he may be better off in Europe over the next few years, playing a lot and developing his game. Again, goalies can surprise you.
  3. D Keith Aulie: He was a better player for the Oilers than I thought he’d be, suspect Aulie catches on somewhere in an AHL-NHL way. I wonder how close EDM was to qualifying him.
  4. C Kellen Lain: One of those players we never really got to know.
  5. L Matt Fraser: His hands are NHL calibre but speed is vital in today’s NHL.
  6. L Curtis Hamilton: If he pursues his career, I can see him having one.
  7. L Brad Ross: Possibly the briefest Oilers career since Gilles Meloche.

No surprises really, wish all seven the best and hopefully they’ll have productive careers with other organizations. Bunz is from around here, was in the local papers many times and seems a nice fellow. It’s easy to forget that these men are early 20’s, damnable early for the crossroads. If they asked me, I’d tell them to ride that nag until it drops, play the game they love, put off growing up for at least another year. The joy of playing a game as a career has enormous appeal, and once they retire it’s forever and that’s a long, long time.

OILERS IN FREE AGENCY (BLUE MOVES)

FREE AGENT BLUE 2015

It sounds like Sekera and the LAK are working on a deal and there are some issues here (Ehrhoff concussion, Green costing the moon). Looking at this list makes me miss the olden days, when the Oilers would sign a Steve Staios or trade for Jason Smith and they would emerge as completely useful defensemen. The Oilers broke the wand and they can’t get it back again. Maybe Chiarelli can find some, his first two attempts (Griffin Reinhart, Eric Gryba) are not big dollar additions and could hang around for years without making $5M a season, if it works out. Johnny Oduya isn’t on the list, he’s a new UFA.

Burtch is a brilliant observer of the defensive game (I’m still trying to suss out his method but the results are fascinating and informative) so when he mentions these names (and their ages) we should pay heed.

John Moore is 24, has NHL experience, good size (6.03,  202) and is an excellent skater. He was part of the Yandle deal and I have to think an NHL team will grab him during the UFA period. He might be a nice add for Edmonton, stats look decent if unspectacular.

I’ll have a look at the forwards tonight. If we cobble together the current blue as they might appear opening night (Klefbom—Schultz for the Ozone; Reinhart—Fayne for the mid-tempo and Ference—Gryba for the tough minutes, while Niki Nikitin Niki Nikitin’s) we know there’s a lot of work. Several comments last night on the blog about not adding a top pairing blue, but rather tinkering. We’ll see, I do believe Peter Chiarelli is getting his future blue (Klefbom, Nurse, Reinhart) in place but there’s two years of bleeding to come if he doesn’t add an actual NHL defenseman this week. I don’t think I’m wrong on that, folks. Peter Chiarelli may be ready to send a significant forward out of town for a defenseman in the name of balance. Hold on!

Cullen always brings good insight and this morning he talks about things this blog has been discussing for 72 hours. A brief breakdown on his take on Oiler deals:

• Reinhart for picks to the Islanders: Eventually, the move should pay off for the Islanders, provided Barzal is as good as advertised, but Reinhart offers an upgrade at a glaring position of need for the Oilers, so that payoff seems to be closer.
  • Talbot to the Oilers for picks: While there is some risk involved in acquiring Talbot – forecasting him as a starter still requires projection because he hasn’t done it in the NHL – he’s not a bad bet for the Oilers to take this season. If Talbot is really good, the Oilers will likely sign him to an extension and he can be part of the organization’s climb from the depths of the standings.
  • Marincin to Toronto: For a Maple Leafs team that is looking to upgrade its defence, Marincin is the type of young blueliner worth taking a chance on. If it works out, he could play in the top four someday. If not, the cost to get him was minimal.
  • Gryba to the Oilers: The Oilers didn’t give up much to get a player who can add toughness on their third defence pairing. It’s not a big win, but the edge goes to Edmonton. In combination with the previous deal, however, there is a decent chance that Marincin could provide more than Gryba and Edmonton had Marincin under financial control for several more years.

I took liberally from the article, so please click this link and read the rest. I’ll try to get Scott on later in the week to discuss.

I loved Horcoff as an Oiler, would welcome him back too, save for the lack of speed (something Edmonton has too much of as it is up front). I hope he finds employment and wish the Oilers had kept him to mentor Nail (as he did with Hall and Eberle). The generation of centers who sustained the Oilers through the last good run (Horcoff, Stoll) are at a crossroads now and it’s possible they won’t be in the NHL this fall. That 2006 group at center (Horcoff, Stoll, Peca, Reasoner until the deadline) remains one of my favorites in team history. Opponents couldn’t piss a drop when Peca was on the ice, Reasoner mentored his brains out and the two youngsters emerged that season as real NHL players. Fantastic memories, thanks men, and a sincere wish for gainful employment, Comrade Horcov.

fonda2

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy morning (waivers at 10, we could see some deals) and we have it covered starting at 10, TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Jonathan Willis, Cult of Hockey. Draft and trade weekend, free agency.
  • The fantastic Jordan Szoke, Superbike champion having another great year.
  • Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey. We’ll talk specifically about Griffin Reinhart and fan reaction to his acquisition.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

325 Responses to "IN EVERY DREAM HOME A HEARTACHE"

« Older Comments
  1. Connorrhea says:

dustrock: I thought about giving Semin a 1-2 year deal, heavily weighted with performance bonuses.

ICBW, but I believe a player has to be signing his first contract (ELC), or be over 35 to be eligible for perf bonuses in his contract.

Semin has left a trail of ‘meh’ everywhere he’s gone. I suspect there’s an attitude problem there that would be best served with a transcontinental plane ticket.

2. blainer says:

Ducey: Yeah, I would agree.But I just ignore him.

I thought Walter Gretzky’s Neighbour’s response was great:

No no no it would only be a “poor decision” if the Oilers did it. Any of Calgary, Vancouver, LA doing this or in fact ANY draft choice or trade is ALWAYS a priori the perfect correct and in all other conceivable ways an unassailable “perfect decision”. That’s just the way it is. We can’t fight that…

All of DSF’s comments should be met with that response or silence.

Exactly…

3. Acumen says:

This Loik Leveille invite feels like a big thing. Everything I can find about him sounds remarkable. If they lock in him and Soy, can we call those our missing third round picks?

Very excited to see how Leveille’s story in particular plays out. Looks like my kind of defender. And he’s a righty! Very happy with his potential involvement in TC and the Ethan Bear selection.

4. V.XIV.VI.I says:

v4ance: What would make the LA Kings desperate enough to void Richard’s contract due to the morals clause, especially when they were on the cusp of trading him for cap room to either the Oilers or Flames?

I think the safe bet is drugs. Alcohol isn’t enough of a factor to the morals clause. I don’t think a weapons charge would be either, if he had a handgun and “forgot” to mention it. The only other thing I can think if is if he was trying to bring someone over the border, like a prostitute or underage girl or something, but that would likely instantly grab headlines.

If it’s drugs however, I can’t imagine why he wouldn’t have been charged on the spot.

Above all I’m supremely disappointed to hear that Chiarelli was showing interest in Richards. There’s either no desire or no ability left in the tank there, and that contract is awful even if LA ate half of it. I mean, this is MacT trying to sign Clarkson levels of warning sign.

5. v4ance says:

Younger Oil:
    This might be a damned stupid idea, but what about Semin playing on the wing with Hall and McDavid.

Veteran presence (even though he doesn’t always act like one), has had experience playing with elite players, and could put up 60-80 points if he has a bounce back year, which could possibly bring us a first at the deadline should we choose to trade him.

I’d offer him a one year deal at $2-3M if we don’t have any other plans for that cap space.

I’d also take a look at Richards and Hodgson. Great potential for a low risk, high reward move

I wouldn’t mind Fehr for his ability to play #3C or maybe ride shotgun on McDavid’s wing for about $1.5M on a 2 year deal.

Not enamoured with Semin, Hodgson or Richards. Semin is boom bust with his effort. All the skill in the world but not consistently “tough on the puck”. Hodgson is a bit of a reclamation project if even offensively challenged BUF gives up on him. He needs offensive zone starts to thrive but I can’t see him getting enough TOI if we’re already trying to resurrect Yak’s career. Richards could be suspended like Voynov for all we know once the entire story comes out. Beyond that, he really lost a step or two and looks like he’s almost done as an effective NHLer.

For the McDavid cluster, it’s better to get mid-career vets like Sekera or early 30’s guys like Fehr on shorter terms so that they can be replaced with other cheap mid-career role players when McDavid is kicking it into high gear in 2-3 years.

6. Doug McLachlan says:

Ducey,

Yup.

7. v4ance says:

Who loved Stafford and always campaigned for the Oilers to pick him up? Was it Matty?

Scott Bartlett @SCGscott
    Drew Stafford closing in on a deal to remain a Winnipeg Jet

Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance
    Told Drew Stafford deal is now done.

Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance
    Two year deal for Stafford and Jets.

8. gmac2412 says:

V.XIV.VI.I,

I guess we will never know what Lombardi was offering EDM or CAL to take Richards contract away from LAK. If they were offering a couple of decent prospects such as Zykov and Forbort, plus Richards for a throw away draft pick in say the seventh round, I could see a team with cap space biting.

9. v4ance says:

gmac2412:
    V.XIV.VI.I,

The rumour I saw on Twitter was Richards and Martin Jones for picks. The timeline in the stories say that the discussions stopped around the start of the second round when Lombardi got the bad news and relayed it to EDM and CAL.

Fortunate timing for the Oilers as they circled back to Talbot.

EDIT: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sources-kings-found-out-about-richards-at-draft/

So Lombardi found out in middle of first round.

10. dustrock says:

So Vynov getting charged with aggravated assault isn’t a material breach of his contract, but Richards (presumably) getting caught with drugs is?

Oh right, it’s because one player is valuable and the other isn’t.

11. Derek says:

I cannot believe I just read that using up 10.3 million in cap space on a position where only one player can play during a game is efficient use of cap space.

I may have got too much sun over the weekend but that is fucking hilarious.

12. Doug McLachlan says:

Interesting the absolute silence coming out of Chicago.

Saad is RFA – may be a bigger catch (for any team not in Alberta) than Hamilton.

Krueger is RFA – will not be anywhere near the high price involved but, still, valuable.

In all the talk about Seabrook (NOT GOING TO HAPPEN) did we ever contemplate SENDING Chicago D-men? Could Nikitin or Ference (with salary retained, of course) fill out a bottom pairing on the Cup Champs? Could they be worse than Kimo Timmonen? I loved Kimo’s story but this was not a good pick-up. One does not play the team mascot for that many minutes.

13. gmac2412 says:

v4ance,

Jones had already been traded for Lucic at that point, so assume it would have had to have been someone else.

14. V.XIV.VI.I says:

gmac2412:
    V.XIV.VI.I,

Given Peter Chiarelli’s dubious record of cap management, one would hope that he can look forward 3 years in the future and see the looming monster of McDavid’s deal, with notable additions from Nurse and Hall and Eberle around the same time, and then consider the wisdom of having cap dead weight of any kind – even if it comes with a sweetener like Forbort.

Just imagine, at some point in the future you’d be consoling yourself over having to trade Eberle, Nuge, Draisaitl, Nurse, Hall, or Yakupov because you wanted Forbort or Jones.

15. gmac2412 says:

V.XIV.VI.I,

I don’t doubt that at all. There is no way that I would want to give up cap flexibility just for prospects.

I just think it is difficult to criticize Chiarelli for listening to Lombardi when we have no idea as to what was being offered by LAK. If a deal to take on Richards was accompanied by say Jake Muzzin or Alec Martinez as a bona fide D upgrade, would we feel differently for instance?

16. rickithebear says:

Bridge equal to PK
    22 2.875
    23 2.875
    Last of Rfa years
    24 6.375
    25 6.375
    Starting to buy UFA years.
    26 8M
    27 8M
    that gets 34.5M howeer they spread the salary does not matter.

his next contract
    28 11M
    29 11m
    30 10M
    31 10M
    32 8M
    33 8M
    9.67m cap

17. Pouzar says:

So UFA signing period starts 12AM EST?
    Another late night tonight if so

18. Pouzar says:

*opens tsn.ca*

I hate his face already.

19. LadiesloveSmid says:

Bridge equal to PK
    22 2.875
    23 2.875
    Last of Rfa years
    246.375
    25 6.375
    Starting to buy UFA years.
    26 8M
    27 8M
    that gets 34.5M howeer they spread the salary does not matter.

his next contract
    28 11M
    29 11m
    30 10M
    31 10M
    32 8M
    33 8M
    9.67m cap

smallest silver lining in the rival team acquiring a potential superstar on a sweetheart contract

ricki, what do your metrics think of Loik Leveille?

20. Connorrhea says:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 15m15 minutes ago
    Interesting back story on Martin Jones trade. Calgary was in the mix last night, but backed out. Offer sheet threat encouraged trade…

Very interesting. Seems OSs aren’t as verboten as some would lead us to believe, and the threat of one can be enough.

The Oilogsosphere has gone mad. Cody Franson is NOT a good UFA option. The Oilers do not need another defensemen who cannot play defense above a 3rd pairing level, or has to be carried by Oscar Klefbom.

Trade for Spurgeon instead, and I’m not particularly high on Spurgeon, but the OIlers have a Scandella-type in Reinhart to play him with.

22. Ducey says:

V.XIV.VI.I: I think the safe bet is drugs.Alcohol isn’t enough of a factor to the morals clause.I don’t think a weapons charge would be either, if he had a handgun and “forgot” to mention it.The only other thing I can think if is if he was trying to bring someone over the border, like a prostitute or underage girl or something, but that would likely instantly grab headlines.

Above all I’m supremely disappointed to hear that Chiarelli was showing interest in Richards.There’s either no desire or no ability left in the tank there, and that contract is awful even if LA ate half of it.I mean, this is MacT trying to sign Clarkson levels of warning sign.

Maybe. But perhaps he was looking at something like:

LA pays $3.75 million a year plus throws in Forbert.

Or

Ference for Richards + some of his $ and Forbort.

If he keeps Richards for a year or two as a third line winger and then buys him out, he walks away with a good defenseman and some veteran experience. Not sure the math works but its worth looking at if you can get a good prospect.

Or you could look at it how DSF would look at it: Calgary was exploring the same option and they are geniuses.

23. Pouzar says:

24. GCW_69 says:

russ99:
    GCW_69,

Nice site. I thought the extra year applied at 2/3rds salary.

The source I located said that buyouts add an extra year, then total with the extra year, get 2/3rds of that total and divide by year’s to get each year’s cap hit.

Yeah, not trying to be a dick. But no one would get bought out at your numbers. In the Oilers case, the buy out is manageable, and it really comes down to how hard they want to push this year.

25. Pouzar says:

Where isHunter’s official “Guess how many pts McJezuzz will score” pool?

26. Dashingsilverfox says:

Pouzar:
    So UFA signing period starts 12AM EST?
    Another late night tonight if so

12PM EDT

27. V.XIV.VI.I says:

gmac2412:
    V.XIV.VI.I,

I have a different view of the cap than most people.

Most seem to look at it as if giving $1 is just spending that $1 of the cap. I look at it like $1 of the cap, and taking $1 away from something else – because now you’ve not only committed that one dollar to someone, but you’ve also lost the flexibility for another player. It’s like… you know how American Presidential elections go? Sure, Obama won with say only 53% of the vote – so you can look at it as “only 3% more people than average want Obama”, but then there’s the fact that Obama’s 3% over 50 is also taking 3% away from his opponent, meaning he’s not 3 points away, he’s 6 points away.

To my mind, from a winning hockey team perspective, the Kane and Toews deals are suicide. From a franchise perspective (dollars and cents and jersey sales), sure, it works, but they’re never winning the Cup again during their tenure in Chicago, even with that sweetheart Keith contract. Worse, they’re doomed to finishing 6th-10th over the next 8 years (well, next season will still be like 3rd, but once Hossa really starts declining, they’re done), which means shitty draft picks and yet no real chance at the Cup.

So from this point of view, taking on any sort of dead weight salary isn’t just spending 1 dollar on the player and one dollar lost from the cap, you’re literally burning two dollars of the cap for nothing.

28. LadiesloveSmid says:

Pouzar:

who are they getting rid of?

Nikitin, Fayne, Schultz, Ference, Klefbom, Davidson (or waivers), Nurse(LT and some believe), Reinhart (according to Chia), and Gryba

9 D right there. Do they sign a UFA? Dump ference already!

29. Connorrhea says:

Pouzar:
    Where isHunter’s official “Guess how many pts McJezuzz will score” pool?

Hey – I take offense to that! It’s Hunter1909.

Get it right.

30. G Money says:

Pouzar:

#E5

31. Pouzar says:

Connorrhea: Hey – I take offense to that! It’s Hunter1909. Get it right.

I hate numbers too. It’s why I hang out at HFOil.

32. Pouzar says:

G Money: #E5

Easy….just an E4 right now!

33. Pouzar says:

Dashingsilverfox: 12PM EDT

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

thx.

34. oilersfan says:

Stauffer has said a few times today the Oilers may be interested in Ryan Garbutt from Dallas. I wonder if they retain half of Purcell’s salary if Dallas would do it? would be pretty much dollar for dollar and the Oilers would get a good pest with some ability to score, pk, and play with intensity. very good skater too.

35. 10W30 says:

LadiesloveSmid,

If nurse was available teams would throwing themselves at the phone to get to Chia, that aint happening. Plus he and Gryba are the only two that fit the player type he is looking for.

36. Ducey says:

Pouzar: Easy….just an E4 right now!

Maybe its just gas?

37. Doug McLachlan says:

Pouzar: I have a feeling Chia is working on a deal for a d-man. No source. Just a gut feel.

I have a similar feel too. Maybe it is just hope – I’m sure we can crush that soon, you know, #BecauseOilers.

Still, the verbal is encouraging.

During the draft they mentioned that Chia had spoken with Mike Green (don’t think it’s happening but probably has a good idea of what the price tag is) and now is casting about to see how he can “help” those who need to be helped.

My gut says that St. Louis may be the partner. Matty tweeted out something during the draft about Shattenkirk. This was prior to the Reinhart trade so it may have evaporated with the #16 but it may also be something they circle back to.

38. Магия 10 says:

gmac2412:
    V.XIV.VI.I,

richards had 5 years left and that’s 10 years on the buy out. so even with the smaller sum you better pick up something that’s you want and for a lot of years. obviously doughty.

39. Pouzar says:

Ducey: Maybe its just gas?

Or a rare Pedroia error?

40. Pouzar says:

Doug McLachlan: My gut says that St. Louis may be the partner

I will guess JBo.

41. Ducey says:

What I don’t get is how LA is going to sign anyone anytime soon.

Richards and the NHLPA have filed a grievance. The adjudicator must have jurisdiction to reinstate the contract.

If Richards is successful, LA is stuck with the contract again.

By the time the dust settles on the grievance (it might take months), the July 1 party will be over.

Perhaps they could use up their cap room anyway in the hope they are successful, but that seems like a big risk.

42. gwdsfo says:

Younger Oil,

Agreed – it would be very cool to see Slepyshev. Still Draisaitl with 37 GP in NHL attends but not Reinhart w/ 8 GP? I guess that means he gets a pass on having to go to Penticton too?

43. Ducey says:

Pouzar: I will guess JBo.

It would be better if your gut could give us more specific names and numbers.

I am starting to get the sense its unreliable.

44. LadiesloveSmid says:

10W30:
    LadiesloveSmid,

No way Nurse is available, nor should he be. Neither should Klefbom.

Nurse, Klefbom, Gryba, Reinhart are all not getting traded for one reason or another. Shouldn’t deal Fayne. 1-2 of FSN need to be gone to bring in another D. No way Ference McLeader is gone, I think McDavid is living with him.

Might not be wise to give up on Schultz just yet, but if Fayne and Gryba are occupying two spots on the right side, that top spot has to be a stud

45. v4ance says:

So Franson to the Maple Leafs on a six year deal at $6 million per?

It’s just a rumor for now.

I can’t put my finger on it but I’m at unease about the possibility of signing Franson. I know the fancy stats are in his favor but I just can’t shake a feeling that he’s not a good fit for the Oilers for some incomprehensible reason.

46. Connorrhea says:

My gut says stay away from cheap liquor.

47. Магия 10 says:

Ducey:
    What I don’t get is how LA is going to sign anyone anytime soon.

Richards and the NHLPA have filed a grievance.The adjudicator must have jurisdiction to reinstate the contract.

If Richards is successful, LA is stuck with the contract again.

You’d guess they’d get time to deal with a reinstated contract. e.g. waiting until the next buy out period.

48. Ducey says:

v4ance:

So Franson to the Maple Leafs on a six year deal at $6 million per?

It’s just a rumor for now.

I can’t put my finger on it but I’m at unease about the possibility of signing Franson.I know the fancy stats are in his favor but I just can’t shake a feeling that he’s not a good fit for the Oilers for some incomprehensible reason.

Because he sucked with Nashville after he was traded from TOR?

49. G Money says:

Ducey,

My guess is that Lombardi has a deal worked out with Bettman. Out of all the big US markets that Bettman creams his pants over, you have to think that NY and LA are tops. Nothing would be more pleasing to him than to give LA a get out of cap-jail free card.

So the cynic in me says:
    1. LA terminates Richards’ contract
    2. The NHL concurs (surprise!)
    3. The Kings use the resulting cap room to sign a needed free agent or two
    4. The arbitrator rules against the Kings: http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmacramalla/2015/06/30/the-l-a-kings-and-the-difficult-task-of-upholding-the-termination-of-the-mike-richards-contract/
    5. They pay the settlement owed to Richards
    6. Re: cap room, the Kings say “oops, our bad, we didn’t know, we followed the rules, the league agreed, see point #2”.
    7. Bettman, sympathetic, agrees and “fines” the Kings one first round pick (a la Lamoriello) for circumvention of cap and other violations
    8. Everyone wins! And by everyone, I mean LA and Bettman, but no one else.

50. Connorrhea says:

v4ance: I know the fancy stats are in his favor

Wait – I thought the fancy stats were agin Franson?

51. G Money says:

v4ance: I know the fancy stats are in his favor

Connorrhea: Wait – I thought the fancy stats were agin Franson?

52. Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons says:

G Money:

All over the map?

Harsh and unfounded?

Uninformed and premature?

53. vinotintazo says:

I can’t deside between Frolik and Fehr for the 3rd line Wing. hmmm help?
    Frolik will cost more, probably 4M. Fehr 2.5 to 3M.

54. Ducey says:

vinotintazo:
    I can’t deside between Frolik and Fehr for the 3rd line Wing. hmmm help?
    Frolik will cost more, probably 4M. Fehr 2.5 to 3M.

Chia, is that you?

How about you just sign Joel Ward and then you won’t have to figure it out?

55. dustrock says:

Saad to Columbus in a trade according to Friedman.

56. dustrock says:

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris · 51s52 seconds ago
    Am hearing Anisimov and Dano are part of the package heading to CHI in Saad deal.

57. Connorrhea says:

G Money: The fancy stats are to Cody Franson what blog commenters opinions are to Griffin Reinhart.

Thanks for clearing that up.

58. vinotintazo says:

Ducey: Chia, is that you?

How about you just sign Joel Ward and then you won’t have to figure it out?

Dpends on the term. but he’s kinda sloow.

59. Connorrhea says:

Elliotte FriedmanVerified account
    ‏@FriedgeHNIC
    Chicago and Columbus are working in a trade involving Brandon Saad. More to come.

Tell Bowman you have two offers:

1) A big OS for Saad.

2) A below-market trade offer for Hjarmmle… Hjralms… you know. That guy.

60. Connorrhea says:

There’s still time to buy out players?

Bob McKenzieVerified account
    ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
    All indications are DET will buy out Stephen Weiss this afternoon.

61. Snowman says:

Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons: All over the map?

Harsh and unfounded?

Uninformed and premature?

Hey.. don’t be so rational and non judgemental and fair about it… That’s not what we do here.

Jackets have to be giving up good, inexpensive players. Saad would have been a sick add for the Oilers.

63. Connorrhea says:

Elliotte FriedmanVerified account
    ‏@FriedgeHNIC
    Saad has been traded to CLB. as @reporterchris tweeted, Anisimov and Dano part of return.

64. v4ance says:

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
    Brandon Saad was an obvious candidate for a big offer sheet tomorrow. You’d have to think the #CBJ are confident they can get him signed.

Cory Lavalette ‏@corylav
    Does Anisimov coming back make Kruger expendable too?

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 3s3 seconds ago
    #CBJ acquire Brandon Saad and two prospects from #Blackhawks for Anisimov, Dano, Morin, Troop and a 4th rd pick in 2016

Wow! That was somewhat unexpected! I thought CHI would re-sign him and trade other “older” parts but the threat of an offer sheet forced their hand.

Too bad they didn’t have any cap room for flexibility!

65. McSorley33 says:

dangilitis,

Wow – dougie’s deal is incredible. Hats off to Calgary for showing everyone how it’s done. If chiarelli can’t successfully use this in his negotiations with Schultz in 1 year then he’s a damn fool. Kudos to Hamilton for not putting himself above the team of players he’s never met, and before giordanos contract extension that will likely be 7 per.
    *************************************************************************
    While simultaneously still being able to draft Rasmus Andersson and Kylington ….

66. Connorrhea says:

v4ance: Too bad they didn’t have any cap room for flexibility!

I’ve read that flexibility is highly over-rated. True story.

67. Connorrhea says:

More details to the Saad deal:

Aaron Portzline
    ‏@Aportzline

68. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:
    Where isHunter’s official “Guess how many pts McJezuzz will score” pool?

Don’t bother.

I’m taking ALL THE POINTS this year.

Guaranteed win.

69. Lucinius says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 34 secs34 seconds ago
    Morin, Tropp, Anisimov and Dano and 4th in 2016 for Saad, Paliotta and Alex Broadhurst. CBJ-CHI deal.

Very interesting..

70. Connorrhea says:

Lucinius: Very interesting..

Especially in the context of all the post-Cup talk from Bowman and Saad: ‘he’s going to be here’, and ‘Saad not worried about getting paid’.

71. v4ance says:

Anisimov C $3.3M 1 year to UFA
    Morin F $800 k
    Tropp F $625K
    Dano C $925k

Saad F RFA
    Paliotta D $925k
    BroadhurstC $643k

So Chicago takes $3.3M on a one way contract and 3 two way deals and Saad goes to CLB with two 2 way deals.

As of right now, CHI has $70.6M in cap commitments. Kruger and Nordstrom need to re-signed as RFAs and there are only 5 D on roster. Still a ton of moves to be made.

EDIT:
    Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis
    Also: Remember everyone who whined about the Bickell/Crawford contracts? That’s where the real blame falls for today’s Saad trade.

This is an example of what happens when you overspend unnecessarily on one part of a roster and it comes back to bite you. It could happen to Dallas just like this too.

72. bendelson says:

Regarding the Saad trade:

Dano really impressed me last season. Chicago is getting a very good young player.
    And Anisimov? I’d like to keep the dream alive and say they will flip him to another team (would still make sense in Edmonton) but he could more than replace Richards if they can handle the contract within their cap.

73. Lucinius says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 8 mins8 minutes ago

This explains the trade a lot.

74. dustrock says:

Lucinius: Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 8 mins8 minutes agoCHI traded Saad because he was looking for 6 yrs with AAV of $6.5M. May have been an offer sheet coming tomorrow from a team with those #s.This explains the trade a lot.

Shocking that they couldn’t do anything to alleviate their cap situation, but then again, I guess 29 teams want to knock them down a peg or two.

75. v4ance says:

Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey
    Friedman was told #Blackhawks were warned offer sheet was coming on Saad. Probably about six years, $39 million. Don’t know who yet. SN 960

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
    Lewis Gross, agent for Brandon Saad, disputes that they asked for a 6-year deal. Won’t say how many years but six wasn’t discussed.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle
    It does sound like this Saad deal came together relatively fast. Columbus has tons of cap space, too, so they can absorb offer sheet threat.

76. Doug McLachlan says:

Hamilton. Jones. Jones again. Saad.

The threat of an Offer Sheet can spring a player loose for pennies on the Dollar but only if the trade is out of Conference.

It is known.

77. v4ance says:

Lawrence Dushenski ‏@LD10
    i hope someone offer sheets Justin Schultz

Travis Yost ‏@travisyost
    Travis Yost retweeted Lawrence Dushenski
    Maybe a team from Massachusetts.

I’d take the picks and sign two UFAs!

dustrock: I guess the Hawks wanted roster players in Anisimov and Dano, part of me wonders why they wouldn’t wait for the offer sheet and take the picks next year.

Perhaps the smart GM in Chicago didn’t want magic beans for Saad, and why the smart GM in Edmonton was willing to trade magic beans for Reinhart. There is a time value to having actual NHL players now, rather than abstract players in the future.

I thought they would prefer to give Sharp or Bickell away.

79. rickithebear says:

dustrock: sheet coming tomorrow from a team with those #s.This explains the trade a lot.

Anisimov averages
    17 EVg 17EVA

Dano last year
    35gm 8 EVG 13 EVA
    80 gm pace 18 EVg 30 EVA 48 EVP
    playing with hartnell wennberg anisimov

Saad
    82gm 21 EVG 21 EVA 42EVp
    Playing with Hossa; toews; Shaw

80. Marc says:

The thing is, if getting caught with drugs constitutes a material breach of a player’s contract in the eyes of the Kings, why didn’t they terminate Stoll’s contract? He was arrested on April 17, so he still had five paycheques to go before his contract expired. And for that matter, why didn’t they wait until he was charged with something before terminating his contract?

I have zero inside knowledge here, so take this with a big grain of salt, but it seems to me like the Kings are on pretty shaky legal ground here. They had two different players charged with felonies whilst under contract with the Kings, and neither apparently materially breached their contracts given that the Kings kept paying them. Yet Richards, who hasn’t even been charged with anything, is in breach and subject to immediate termination?

If I were Richards’ lawyer I’d be arguing that if the Kings don’t consider being charged with a felony a material breach, then nothing my client had done at the time his contract was terminated could possible come close to a material breach. The timing of the termination ie. just before the buyout deadline strongly suggests that it was just a transparent attempt to avoid paying him the remainder of the money that he is contractually due.

81. Connorrhea says:

v4ance: Maybe a team from Massachusetts.

Not enough gritensity though.

Edit: Unless they mix up Nultz and Jultz. Hmmm – isn’t JF Jr working for the Bruins now?

Another Sauer/Finger moment is probably too much to hope for.

82. dustrock says:

83. Doug McLachlan says:

dustrock: I get that Anisimov is a player, but he’s gone after next year unless he re-signs. Obviously his cap space can help with a Seabrook extension. I just thought they might take a 1st, maybe Dano and a 1st.

Perhaps they have a destination in mind.

“Hello, is Don Sweeney still taking calls?”

84. Younger Oil says:

gwdsfo:
    Younger Oil,

Agreed – it would be very cool to see Slepyshev.Still Draisaitl with 37 GP in NHL attends but not Reinhart w/ 8 GP?I guess that means he gets a pass on having to go to Penticton too?

I’m thinking that it’s because Reinhart played an entire season in pro, while Drai didn’t.

However, it is very possible that Reinhart could be in the Penticton tournament, they invited Musil and Gernat last year even though they had already played a full pro season.

Maybe Slepyshev will be in the Penticton tournament as well.

85. lazerguidedmelody says:

v4ance,

v4ance: Is probably the Boston Celtics however…

86. Younger Oil says:

It would make me so happy if the Bruins offered Schultz the Hamilton contract in order to “stick it to Chiarelli”.

I know it will never happen, but that would just give me warm fuzzies inside.

Until the Oilers matched it.

87. v4ance says:

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle
    Was told on the weekend that without a doubt multiple teams would offer sheet Saad. Teams desperate for young scoring forwards.

Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance
    Blackhawks and newly acquired Artem Anisimov already close on getting a contract extension done.

Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance
    Deal isn’t signed yet but extension between Artem Anisimov and Blackhawks expected to be five years.

Looks like CHI will be dumping some veteran forwards with cup experience for pennies.

88. V.XIV.VI.I says:

Marc: why didn’t they terminate Stoll’s contract

Isn’t Stoll suspended? Don’t they have to wait to terminate it?

Not sure.

89. v4ance says:

BOOM!

Anaheim Ducks ‏@AnaheimDucks

Really? They squabled this long over it for a 2nd?

90. spoiler says:

Anaheim Ducks ‏@AnaheimDucks · 1m1 minute ago
    BREAKING: #NHLDucks acquire Kevin Bieksa from the @VanCanucks for a 2016 second-round draft pick.

91. Halfwise says:

V.XIV.VI.I: Isn’t Stoll suspended?Don’t they have to wait to terminate it?

Not sure.

Why bother with a termination when he is going to just slip away into UFA status anyway? Little $ to gain and guaranteed bad publicity for everyone.

92. v4ance says:

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle
    Anaheim adding Bieksa likely means they can’t get Beauchemin signed.

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
    Wouldn’t be surprised to see a Bieksa extension tomorrow

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
    Kevin Bieksa and Ryan Kesler, together again.

Vancouver is doing a slow self destruct due to age and bad trades.

93. Doug McLachlan says:

v4ance: James Mirtle ‏@mirtleAnaheim adding Bieksa likely means they can’t get Beauchemin signed.Vancouver is doing a slow self destruct due to age and bad trades.

They have $20M in cap space. Still have lots of flexibility. If they don’t keep Beauchemin it will be for choice, not dollars.

94. Lucinius says:

Doug McLachlan,

They’re one of those teams with an internal cap, I believe.

95. G Money says:

Marc,

Eric Macramalla is TSNs sports law expert. He wrote the article I linked to earlier.

I’d sum up his opinion as: the LA Kings are desperate and they tried this and hope it sticks.

His conclusion: It takes a lot to uphold voiding a contract. A lot. Like: “Aaron Hernandez” lot. Just doesn’t see it sticking.

Other key point is whether or not they could still use this as an excuse for cap circumvention. He was asked that on Twitter and his basic answer paraphrases as: that’s a bit more gray, but also pretty tough – can’t do indirectly what you’re not permitted to do directly.

There’s some rumours about what bad thing Richards has done, but this is the other interesting part: the Kings apparently CANNOT terminate Richards contract unless he is convicted. If he is charged, they can suspend him at most, like with Voynov. But even a conviction might not be enough for a termination! The deck is very stacked in favour of players in that regard.

Either way, this thing is going to be very interesting to follow, and it’s likely to carry on for quite a while. For obvious reasons, the NHLPA will fight it tooth and nail to the bitter end, and based on how case law precedent for sports contracts in previous situations, is strongly favoured to win.

Worth a follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ericonsportslaw

96. frjohnk says:

v4ance: Vancouver is doing a slow self destruct due to age and bad trades.

If I was a Vancouver fan, Id be happy that we got rid of the worst goalie of the three and received a kings ransom for him. 🙂

97. Ducey says:

v4ance:
    BOOM!

Anaheim Ducks ‏@AnaheimDucks

Really?They squabled this long over it for a 2nd?

The squabbling was between VAN and SJ. Wilson missed out.

Edit: As much as not getting Bieksa constitutes “missing out”

98. v4ance says:

Dennis Bernstein ‏@DennisTFP 1m1 minute ago
    Public service: 15 teams holding own 2016 1st 2nd 3rd rd picks that allows them execute offer sheet $5.47M+ tomorrow

MTL
    ANA
    NAS
    ARI
    TB

Edmonton! EDMONTON! ED-MON-TON!

99. Marc says:

Halfwise: Why bother with a suspension when he is going to just slip away into UFA status anyway? Little $ to gain and guaranteed bad publicity for everyone.

If you want to convince an arbitrator that you terminated a contract because the player’s conduct was in material breach of the contract, it helps your case if you can show that you taken similar steps in other cases. And hurts it if you haven’t done so in similar cases.

There are many reasons why they might not have done so in Voynov or Stoll’s cases, even if they arguably could have done. But by not doing so they undermined their case for terminating Richards’ contract.

A material breach isn’t normally something that can be determined at the absolute discretion of one of the parties. It would be something that Richards knew or ought have known at the time he did whatever it was that he did was breaching his contract.

100. G Money says:

Doug McLachlan: They have $20M in cap space.Still have lots of flexibility.If they don’t keep Beauchemin it will be for choice, not dollars.

TSN reporting that the Bieksa trade went down because talks with Beauchemin stalled.

101. spoiler says:

G Money,

So what is LA’s present cap hit? Other GMs would need to know this, it can’t be a secret from them.

Right now, there is no grievance. So I’m guessing the contract is terminated as it stands?

How long does the PA have to file?

102. Halfwise says:

Marc: If you want to convince an arbitrator that you terminated a contract because the player’s conduct was in material breach of the contract, it helps your case if you can show that you taken similar steps in other cases.And hurts it if you haven’t done so in similar cases.

There are many reasons why they might not have done so in Voynov or Stoll’s cases, even if they arguably could have done.But by not doing so they undermined their case for terminating Richards’ contract.

That sounds like solid legal advice. Is it possible, though, that they were not prepared for a termination issue on their roster because they had no reason to think one was coming? The way the matter came up unexpectedly in the middle of the draft is significant. And once they’d been handed that lemon, they decided to try making lemonade with it.

103. spoiler says:

Article 17.2 of the CBA indicates grieving party has 60 days from the event creating the grievance to file (or 60 days from those facts coming to light).

104. Doug McLachlan says:

G Money,

Fair enough. Interesting target for the Oil. Attainable, solid but not flashy.

105. Marc says:

G Money:
    Marc,

Eric Macramalla is TSNs sports law expert.He wrote the article I linked to earlier.

His conclusion:It takes a lot to uphold voiding a contract. A lot. Like: “Aaron Hernandez” lot.Just doesn’t see it sticking.

There’s some rumours about what bad thing Richards has done, but this is the other interesting part: the Kings apparently CANNOT terminate Richards contract unless he is convicted.If he is charged, they can suspend him at most, like with Voynov.But even a conviction might not be enough for a termination! The deck is very stacked in favour of players in that regard.

Either way, this thing is going to be very interesting to follow, and it’s likely to carry on for quite a while.For obvious reasons, the NHLPA will fight it tooth and nail to the bitter end, and based on how case law precedent for sports contracts in previous situations, is strongly favoured to win.

Worth a follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ericonsportslaw

Thanks. I’ll check that out.

There’s a real risk that the Kings just make things worse. Unless they leave cap space to allow for the possibility of Richards’ reinstatement (in which case they’ll be working to a $66M cap – they are currently at $60.7M with six roster spots to fill) then they’ll be over the cap if/when he does get reinstated.

There wouldn’t be many teams able to take on millions in additional cap hit at that stage, so those who could would be able to charge a fortune for it ie. Muzzin for a 7th rounder and LA would have no choice but to do it.

106. Doug McLachlan says:

Halfwise,

Haven’t seen the link to a confirmation of what the allegation against Richards is, yet.

The fact that it happened at a border crossing does not, necessarily, imply drugs (and hence a comparison to the Stoll situation).

107. John Chambers says:

Man you could almost fill out an NHL roster just with buyout recipients.

Stephen Weiss was around .5 ppg last year. Not sure about his wheels but this guy is a legit 2-way centre.

Along with Semin, Richards, and Hodgson there are some decent buy-low options for filling out a roster.

108. Doug McLachlan says:

John Chambers,

Las Vegas Black Knights?

109. vinotintazo says:

John Chambers: Stephen Weiss

Stephen Weiss has had a horrible past 3 years.

110. Connorrhea says:

Looks like a good free agent tracker here:

111. spoiler says:

John Chambers,

I’d bet Chia is considering Hodgson. Foot speed though is a big issue. But he can play with talent and put up points.

112. Ducey says:

spoiler:
    John Chambers,

I’d bet Chia is considering Hodgson.Foot speed though is a big issue. But he can play with talent and put up points.

Not heavy enough is he? Just Gagner v.2?

113. spoiler says:

Ducey: Not heavy enough is he?Just Gagner v.2?

I think that case could be made, although he out-performed the other regular forwards on his team wih regards to Corsi while getting tough zone starts and only 12 min TOI per game. Looks like he was really in the coach’s doghouse since he put up decent boxcars two years running prior to this year.

114. v4ance says:

DRUGS is the winner!

I assumed it wasn’t a dead hooker storage thing or else he’d already be in jail.

115. spoiler says:

v4ance:

DRUGS is the winner!

I don’t see any hope in hell of the Kings winning this based on an uncharged possession of prescription painkillers. My Gord, doesn’t there have to be more? It reeks of desperation on Lombardi’s part.

116. frjohnk says:

v4ance:

DRUGS is the winner!

There are quite a few players that take prescription painkiller meds.

LA is just looking for a loophole and trying to swing for the fence.

117. Snowman says:

frjohnk: There are quite a few players that take prescription painkiller meds.

LA is just looking for a loophole and trying to swing for the fence.

Agreed, they’re screwed on this one.

118. spoiler says:

Helene Elliott ‏@helenenothelen · 6m6 minutes ago
    Bob Murray said Ducks couldn’t come to terms with Beauchemin, who plans to test market. Said Beauchemin mentioned 3 years at $5 million per

I doubt Chia goes there.

119. spoiler says:

Thanks for the Roxy Music reference btw, LT. Such a great line.

120. Магия 10 says:

spoiler: I don’t see any hope in hell of the Kings winning this based on an uncharged possession of prescription painkillers.My Gord, doesn’t there have to be more?It reeks of desperation on Lombardi’s part.

Eric Macramalla ‏@EricOnSportsLaw 3m3 minutes ago
    The NHL and NHLPA have a collectively bargained Drug Policy which calls for treatment protocols. This will likely be relied on by NHLPA.

Eric Macramalla ‏@EricOnSportsLaw 6m6 minutes ago
    TMZ report citing oxycodone pills in context of Mike Richards is consistent with what I was told.

Eric Macramalla ‏@EricOnSportsLaw 10m10 minutes ago
    Net effect is determinative and not really hopes and dreams
    Wayne Chow @wayne_chow
    @EricOnSportsLaw Couldn’t LAK argue it genuinely believed it had cause? Also, my previous tweets about whether NHL is really upset w/ them.

Eric Macramalla ‏@EricOnSportsLaw 12m12 minutes ago
    League approval is not remotely determinative.
    Aaron Amberg @aaronamberg
    @EricOnSportsLaw If they sought the league’s approval how it circumvention?

Eric Macramalla ‏@EricOnSportsLaw 12m12 minutes ago
    Kings move seems strategic
    Jsn Laplante @ViscerotonicjL
    @EricOnSportsLaw Could LAK have done this knowing they would lose arbitration, but knowing cap hit would be far less than a buy out cap hit?

Eric Macramalla ‏@EricOnSportsLaw 34m34 minutes ago
    Agreed – will factor into ultimate resolution. Can’t do indirectly what not permitted to do directly.
    Dread Pirate Daisy @DaisyBeach23
    @EricOnSportsLaw great read…what about the cap circumvention issue? kings are getting away with a lot right now.

121. v4ance says:

Магия 10: Eric Macramalla ‏@EricOnSportsLaw3m3 minutes ago

Eric Macramalla ‏@EricOnSportsLaw6m6 minutes ago

Eric Macramalla ‏@EricOnSportsLaw10m10 minutes ago
    Net effect is determinative and not really hopes and dreams
    Wayne Chow @wayne_chow

Eric Macramalla ‏@EricOnSportsLaw12m12 minutes ago
    League approval is not remotely determinative.
    Aaron Amberg @aaronamberg
    @EricOnSportsLaw If they sought the league’s approval how it circumvention?

Eric Macramalla ‏@EricOnSportsLaw12m12 minutes ago
    Kings move seems strategic
    Jsn Laplante @ViscerotonicjL

Eric Macramalla ‏@EricOnSportsLaw34m34 minutes ago
    Dread Pirate Daisy @DaisyBeach23
    @EricOnSportsLaw great read…what about the cap circumvention issue?kings are getting away with a lot right now.

Eric Macramalla ‏@EricOnSportsLaw
    Really Important: if league has agreement that calls for treatment can’t just disregard that in favor of more convenient result. (ie voiding the contract)

I think this will take LA out of the Sekera sweepstakes since they’ll have to hold Richard’s cap space on the roster until they get a resolution via the arbitrator. By then Sekera will have signed with someone else.

122. Jon K says:

My official, legal opinion as a lawyer is that Lombardi is playing tricky dick with the CBA to weasel out of a contract.

Seriously though, he may have grounds to try to void the contract, based on the limited information we have now. The problem is that, realistically, the Kings have had plenty of significantly more compelling reasons to terminate the contracts of Stoll and Voynov, but chose not to.

The obvious difference? Richards’ albatross of a contract.

The NHLPA will clearly grieve the contract, possibly successfully. It may be relevant that, even before the void attempt, Lombardi was already in the media trying to poison public opinion about Richards (“he promised me he would workout this summer, blah blah blah”).

Lombardi strikes me as a savvy, competent GM. He also strikes me as someone I wouldn’t want as a friend, business partner, or relative. Interesting times in LA ahead.

123. Магия 10 says:

v4ance: Eric Macramalla ‏@EricOnSportsLaw

I think this will take LA out of the Sekera sweepstakes since they’ll have to hold Richard’s cap spaceon the roster until they get a resolution via the arbitrator.By then Sekera will have signed with someone else.

The league approved the termination. Until appeal is resolved they can use the cap space. If they use the room and lose they will be in circumvention. Strange but true. But so is the CBA.

Eric Macramalla ‏@EricOnSportsLaw 2m2 minutes ago
    While unchartered waters can’t imagine permitted to do indirectly what hey can’t do directly;if so others would too
    Michael Grange @michaelgrange
    @EricOnSportsLaw excellent read. Question is: when LA loses do they a) still have a cap hit and b) get penalized for cap circumvention?

124. Магия 10 says:

In 1987, the San Diego Padres voided Lamarr Hoyt’s contract after he was jailed following multiple drug charges, including intent to distribute cocaine and attempting to smuggle drugs from Mexico into the U.S. This would seem to be specifically the type of conduct that would justify voiding a contract – right? Wrong. The Players Association filed a grievance and won.

In 2004, the Colorado Rockies tried to cut Danny Neagle after he was charged with soliciting a prostitute. The MLBPA stepped in, and ultimately the parties agreed to a payout of $16 million on his $19.5 million contract.

In 2005, the Baltimore Orioles voided Sidney Ponson’s contract for driving while intoxicated (as well as some other stuff). The MLBPA grieved, and the sides ended up settling. According to reports, Ponson got a sizable chunk of his $11.2 million salary.

There was a case, however, where a voided contract was upheld by an arbitrator. In 2008, Shawn Chacon refused to leave the team dining room to speak with GM Ed Wade in his office. This confrontation ended with Chacon grabbing Wade by the neck and throwing him to the ground. Each time Wade tried to get up, Chacon knocked him back to the ground. Chacon’s contract was terminated with cause. The move was appealed by the MLBPA, but the appeal was unsuccessful.

So short of strangling your employer, it can be tough to successfully terminate a contract (even then, Latrell Fontaine Sprewell got 68 games for choking NBA coach P. J. Carlesimo).

And who was the MLBPA executive director presiding over the MLB cases? Donald Martin Fehr, the current head of the NHLPA. He is seasoned and ran the strongest union in sports. He brings that experience with him.

« Older Comments