BURN DOWN THE MISSION

It’s a numbers game and this year Peter Chiarelli is bound and determined to create competition. On the way to a balanced roster, the number of NHL-ready or actual NHL players is increasing at every position in the lineup. What does that mean? Well, remember when Steve Tambellini kept Jeff Deslauriers on the roster forever out of fear of losing him to waivers? Yeah, not that. Peter Chiarelli’s aggressive nature is very obvious when it comes to his stack ’em and rack ’em style re: the depth chart.

PROJECTED ROSTER

projected opening nightThis is the ‘prevailing wisdom’ edition, we have no idea what will happen until Todd McLellan and the players arrive in camp and get to work. One thing this roster doesn’t have is a lot of utility—the centers can play wing but the only wingers you might see at center are Matt Hendricks and Lauri Korpikoski. That may mean Leon Draisaitl makes the team, impacting the waiver list (Tyler Pitlick would probably be the 23rd man here and he is waiver eligible).

WAIVER WORRIES FOR FALL

1. G Anders Nilsson: His contract is set up as an audition for the Oilers, but also for the entire NHL. Nilsson’s an interesting bet, we’ll see how this goes. I still expect Ben Scrivens to outplay Nilsson.
  2. R Andrew Miller: He has had one quality season in the AHL, probably not famous enough. That said, you could make the argument he fits the Oilers’ new style better than some of the men ahead of him on the depth chart. I believe he qualifies for waivers under article 13 13.4-13.4 (section D).
  3. D Brandon Davidson: If MacT was still GM, I’m pretty certain Davidson would have made the team. Davidson qualifies as a MacT type under the ‘Scott Ferguson—Toby Petersen’ player tab if you’re playing along at home. As it is, he’ll have a chance and I’m going to be cheering like hell for him, but this is a tough and hazy competition.
  4. D Brad Hunt: His chaotic defense probably means he won’t get claimed but I’ll be fascinated to see what McLellan thinks of him. I don’t think there will be any neutral ground, he’ll either be sent out early or very late.
  5. L Ryan Hamilton: Veteran winger who will serve as mentor to the youth in Bakersfield, he’s unlikely to be taken.

The Oilers don’t have anyone who is a lock for waiver pickup, but if (say) Miller outplays someone or Nilsson wins the backup job, maybe we’ll see action. There is no Anton Lander (placed on waivers last fall) this time unless something goes awry. There’s no Rob Schremp either, but Nilsson might be the next Steve Valiquette and that would be my guess.

WAIVERS THE OTHER WAY

I don’t see Edmonton picking anyone up via the waiver wire. For me, the piece they’re looking for is higher up in the batting order. We should be looking for this year’s Nick Leddy—Johnny Boychuk, and some believe that’s Brent Seabrook. One player in the Boston system (not waiver eligible) I’d like to see Chiarelli try to grab? Alexander Khokhlachev. Among recent waiver pickups by Edmonton, Ryan Jones and Luke Gazdic had some sustain, Matt Fraser not so much.

ference common

WHO WILL THEY BUY OUT?

If the Oilers are going to buy out the eligible player nearest the end, it’s Andrew Ference. He got everything possible out of his career and there’s no shame in an eight-round pick playing over 900 NHL games. None. He won a significant award as a member of the Edmonton Oilers and man that doesn’t happen often.

I don’t think Edmonton will buy out Ference for multiple reasons. First, the contract buyout is complicated and takes four years to accomplish. There are good reasons to spend dollars into McDavid’s second contract but this isn’t one of them. Second, Ference may decide to retire next summer. I very much doubt he sees a lot of ice as the year wears on and collecting a cheque for sitting in the pressbox isn’t as sexy as it sounds.

For me, the buyout is Niki Nikitin and his wonky back (I think it’s his back). IF Chiarelli decides to proceed, it’ll mean another defenseman is coming to town. A mobile defenseman who can make a headman pass and be part of the future. Who is that man? Increasingly, it looks like the answer is Brent Seabrook.

Jane Birkin Files Pictures

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A jam packed show at 10 this morning, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky, Big Mouth Sports. Is the NHL summer break an actual break?
  • Antony Bent, FC Edmonton. Eddies coming off a monster win last weekend.
  • Alanna Phillips, CFL is for Girls. Huge win for the Eskimos last night, are the QB issues solved?
  • Sunil Agnihotri, The Super Fan and Copper and Blue. Defense, defense, defense.
  • Jeff Veillette, Five Hole for Food. Great cause, and he’s coming our way!

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. A final note: LOTS of chatter yesterday on media about the negativity surrounding Ben Scrivens season and Griffin Reinhart’s acquisition. Because I read comments here, this was news to me, as we’ve generally been able to carry on a mature conversation on both men. So, thanks! It makes me proud of our little corner of the house Al Gore built.

190 Responses to "BURN DOWN THE MISSION"

1. p3rsonman says:

Is there a deadline for our new buyout window? I expected some activity already.

2. frjohnk says:

p3rsonman:

I believe 48 hours after Schultz signs

3. russ99 says:

Doesn’t sound like Reinhart (#8) is going to be in the minors with a low number…

4. Halfwise says:

The NN decision ought to involve some medical opinions. How much faith can be put in the current medical staff? A few seasons ago we fans were highly dubious, but I haven’t heard much either way lately.

5. russ99 says:

frjohnk: I believe 48 hours after Schultz signs

And the window doesn’t open until Schultz signs.

6. Pouzar says:

russ99:

Chia expects him to make the team so right now it’s his spot to lose.

7. dustrock says:

So Bruins got Irwin? Not a bad pickup for them. Hamilton disaster aside, not a bad offseason for them. Oh wait, they passed on Connor, Svechnikov and Barzal. Oh dear.

8. SumOil says:

p3rsonman,

Its after schultz signs a contract. 48 hrs after the contract

Pouzar: Chia expects him to make the team so right now it’s his spot to lose.

10. dustrock says:

Lowetide: Things change. Kevin Lowe said every summer that Jason Chimera was going to make the team but he got sent down in 2000 and 2001 and was in Columbus by 2005. Todd McLellan doesn’t give a rat’s ass what the GM said June 25. He really doesn’t. You’re thinking of the MacTavish era.

LT I’m reading between the lines here, and it sounds like you’re saying we should expect McLellan to start Nurse at LW, a la Burns, for McDavid. Can I quote you on that?

11. oilgeek says:

12. Fortinbras says:

I want to know if there has been any comment from Nikitin about the nonstop buyout and poor performance critism he’s received over the last few months…err year??

Is the guy working hard hoping to be an impact next year?
    Is the guy actually hurt?
    Is he loafing around in a Russian schvitz?

I don’t think I have ever seen or heard an interview with Nikita, including his big signing 375 days ago.

What I am getting at is I’d love to hear is working his tail off, asking to give him a chance in training camp. He’s not 35 years old…

13. blainer says:

I get where you are coming from on the buyouts but I think it would be better in the now to have rid of Ference. It is not good to have the weakest player on your team to be captain.. really sends a bad message to the players and will end up being a major distraction. As for NN hopefully we can find a team to take him with half the salary retained… wait til September for Seabrook.. he may shake loose for draft pick’s and a prospect like Boychuck and Leddy as Chicago will have to get under the cap in a hurry by then..

14. Truth says:

What if the OIlers used the buyout window to remove Purcell from the lineup? They would probably be able to bring in one of Glencross, Boyes, Christ Stewart, or Fehr for the combined cost of the player’s new contract plus Purcell’s buyout cost.

I know defence is the main concern with this team but maybe that is addressed by trade alone (Seabrook pipe dream).

15. oliveoilers says:

I say trade for SeaBiscuit. No hands, but stamina out the ying yang. A real horse on D.

16. G Money says:

oliveoilers:
    I say trade for SeaBiscuit.No hands, but stamina out the ying yang.A real horse on D.

True, but its the injury risk I fear. One “lower body injury” and he’s dead meat.

17. Ducey says:

oilgeek: I have a tough time seeing Gazdic stick. I’m not sure he’s good enough at hockey, and with the enforcer role going by the wayside I think his time might be up. If Draisaitl proves ready, I could see him slotting in at 3L, Korpikoski moving down, and Klink being an extra.

He will stick.

He is cheap and can sit in the press box. There will be injuries.

He would be picked off waivers.

He worked really hard at improving his hockey skills and isn’t totally useless (just partially).

The Oilers still need some size.

McLellan had an overly full compliment of fighters in the last few years. That may have been Wilson, but I would think he was ok with it to some degree.

The true enforcer is gone, but there are plenty of guys who rely on intimidation as their primary skill. Calgary will likely have a guy or two who will fight (Ferland, Bollig, Engelland) and EDM has a long history of having the best fighter between the two. And then you will have whatever gutless puke VAN decides to dress (Prust, Dorsett) (they appear to be in short supply but I am sure they will stock up).

He probably plays 30 games, and I am fine with that.

18. DocFan says:

Looking at your projected roster LT, a couple of things I noticed:

Going down every position, you have your highest rated guy making the most, and then a decline in salary to the 4th line / 3rd pairing guys.
    Couple of obvious exceptions – Lander on value deal, Nikitin on the Opposite, Teddy Purcell, and Justin Shultz/Mark Fayne switch (but that’s within 50K).

This just reaffirms what is being said about Chiarelli – The experience is setting us for future success. Not paying our “Fourth line” 6-8 million etc.

I have full faith this will only get better.

19. Bar_Qu says:

Truth,

Purcell is not an issue for the team and his deal expires soon enough that extending it via buyout doesn’t make sense. He is the only guy in the bottom six with a bigger than necessary contract but one of a couple who can actually play up higher in the lineup. If you add a vet like Glencross there is no great mischief in sitting a Klinkhammer or trying to get him through early season waivers. I am not in favor of a buyout for anyone other than possibly Nikitin and even with him, there are many different options that don’t cause the contract to affect past this year (LTIR, fleeing to KHL, trade, etc).

20. Oil2Oilers says:

Pouzar: Chia expects him to make the team so right now it’s his spot to lose.

Klefbom-Reinhart

As a second pair behind Sekera-Fayne gives me less hives than any other pairing currently on the Oilers roster. Reinhart make lack Jultz’s NHL seasoning but I am utterly convinced he has more defensive awareness. A reasonably important trait for defense men.

21. Washingtron says:

LT, about yer final note. I think one of the most unique and wonderful things about this blog and its community is the treating of players like human beings. It’s ridiculous that that is such a novel concept, but the constant, positive rooting for these kids to achieve what they’ve worked so hard for really only does exist here. So good on ya!

22. jerry says:

Should the headline read “speed up the mission”?

I guess it depends upon if you’re a glass half empty kinda guy or not.

23. Halfwise says:

Oil2Oilers: Klefbom-Reinhart

I suppose the question is whether having Jultz learn on the job at the NHL level occupies the one and only slot for a D that needs sheltering this season. Or are there two slots? I know there can’t be three slots for Earn While You Learn defensemen, and THAT’s a good thing.

24. oilgeek says:

Ducey,

Fair enough, all good points. I can’t see him being a regular, but your probably right, we will still need him on some nights. So, what do you think they do with Draisaitl at the start of the year? Send him down, or risk Pitlick on waivers and send him down? I guess that’s what it comes down to for me, I’m trying to slot him in at 3L, but that means someone’s gotta go.

25. John Chambers says:

I think we need a 5th centre, and I think his name is Will Acton.

Anyone disagree?

26. Halfwise says:

oilgeek:
    Ducey,

I think there’s so much waiver traffic near the end of TC that you send Pitlick down at that point, taking the chance he’s lost in the crowd.

27. B S says:

LT, Re: Khokhlachev, I know you tend to get stuck on a player, but I’ve watched him play several times now in Providence and, as I’ve reported before, he’s everything you hate about Yakupov without the shot (as good of a shot, it’s still pretty good, or at least accurate), and without the drive. The kid is a real floater in the AHL. All world skill means nothing if you don’t use it. He has plenty of skill, but it only appears in flashes, and I don’t think he has the consistency to take up a top 6 spot in the NHL. As a counter-point that baby Bruins team is horribly underscoring, so his numbers (nearly a point per game I believe) are probably a little deflated, though he does tend to play with Providence’s best forwards.

Regarding Gazdic, I think it’s fair to point out that he can play hockey. Put him in the minors and he would be a competitive forward, possibly top six. He just doesn’t have the hands (passing and shot) and decision-making to play at NHL speed. As a pugilist I like him on the team for games against Van and Calgary, maybe a few of the teams out east, but if we’ aren’t playing a team with their own meat-head I don’t see a reason to put him in. As Ducey said, 30> games is fine. As long as it’s as the 13th forward, or to cover for injury.

Truthfully I would prefer Moroz (can skate, take a pass, make a pass, has been defensively responsible), but he needs to start earning at bats in Bakersfield first.

28. G Money says:

Here we are, wondering if Draisaitl makes the roster (and if he does, likely at wing).

Last year, 18 yo Draisaitl playing his first pro game was the starting 2C (that he was on the team was not in question, with only Marcobello to challenge the 2C/3C assumption), Gordon a lock at 4C, with Lander still trying to find his game on the farm.

This year, McDavid is the new Draisaitl, Lander is the new Marcobello, Letestu is the new Gordon, and Draisaitl is the new Lander.

From a player quality perspective, every spot from 3C up is an upgrade (4C more a change in style).

From a player status (age, experience) perspective, not so much!

29. OF17 says:

Is there anything to the Seabrook rumors aside from the Stauffer tweets? And Stauffer on-air of course. To me, those seem more like spitballing than anything, which is why I’m wondering if there’s more smoke.

30. Ducey says:

John Chambers: I think we need a 5th centre, and I think his name is Will Acton.Anyone disagree?

Chia does.

31. bendelson says:

John Chambers:
    I think we need a 5th centre, and I think his name is Will Acton.

Anyone disagree?

Completely disagree!
    It would be insane to bring Will Acton in as a 5th centre…
    …considering Jerred Smithson is still available.

32. LadiesloveSmid says:

Are we getting on the Yak for Spurgeon train on twitter?

33. G Money says:

OF17,

I’d expect its pure speculation. Its clear that Chia does not leak information the way management has in the past.

The speculation is understandable:
    – Chi is cap-strapped and HAS to make a significant move
    – Edm could use another experienced Top 4 defender
    – There is word out of all camps that Chia has kicked the tires on Seabrook, AND that Seabrook is OK with going to the Oilers

Funny thing about that last point – it’s clear from lots of verbal around the league that Edmonton is now looked at, FINALLY, as an up and coming non-purgatory-esque destination.

Yet the changes to the actual roster are very modest. Here’s what I could find of the opening night roster last year, with changes per LT’s roster above:

4 Taylor Hall 93 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 14 Jordan Eberle
    67 Benoit Pouliot 55 Leon Draisaitl -> McDavid 10 Nail Yakupov
    57 David Perron -> Korpi 26 Mark Arcobello -> Lander 16 Teddy Purcell
    6 Jesse Joensuu -> Thor 27 Boyd Gordon -> Letestu 23 Matt Hendricks

21 Andrew Ference -> Gryba 5 Mark Fayne
    84 Oscar Klefbom 2 Jeff Petry -> Sekera
    74 Darnell Nurse -> Nikitin 19 Justin Schultz

30 Ben Scrivens -> Talbot
    35 Viktor Fasth -> Scrivens

34. Drew says:

Halfwise,

was it a question of the medical staff abilities or the management group that listened (or not) to them?

35. Hammers says:

The only way Davidson gets a chance is if they pass on Seabrook. He could get picked off the waiver wire as a 6-7 . The other part of getting Seabrook is your estimate of games for both Nurse and Reinhart goes down . I feel an NHL team needs 9 D capable of playing about 15 + games to the full 82 games . For Nurse and Reinhart let alone Davidson to get there decent shot don’t sign Seabrook . Schultz will sign and one of Ference or Nikitin will be bought out. Give it a bit more time and it will sort itself out . Quit trying for a home run but that doesn’t mean you can’t add another D who fits the age group .

36. khildahl says:

russ99: And the window doesn’t open until Schultz signs.

I think I read that it opens 48 hours after Schultz signs, and then lasts for three days. I could be misinterpreting a bad memory, but a straightforward 48 hour period seems way too simple for the CBA.

37. Cameron says:

“A mobile defenseman who can make a headman pass and be part of the future. Who is that man? Increasingly, it looks like the answer is Brent Seabrook.”

This reminds of all the talk around here regarding Couturier. ‘Yes’, Seabrook would be a fit, but I also highly doubt he is available (I’d bet donuts its going to be Sharp who leaves for cap reasons).

Wouldn’t it make more sense to do a C for D trade involving one of Nuge or Drai for a DMan a few yrs older? Break the bank and move Nuge for OEL with additional picks/prospects as necessary? The search for balance is a regular theme here, and the Oil are way lopsided on young forwards, unsupported by a similar talent on the blue. The saying goes ‘build from the blue out/down the middle’, so absent a balancing trade I see a lot of long nights in the Oilers end of the rink while the talent up front stagnates.

If there was ever a time to rebalance the core it would be now.

38. OF17 says:

G Money:

From a player status (age, experience) perspective, not so much!

There’s still an improvement in the status department though, albeit a modest one. Lander’s 132 career NHL games entering this season handily beats Arcobello’s 42 entering last season.

39. OF17 says:

G Money,

Sounds about what I figured. It makes sense as speculation, because as you said, lots of the ends line up, but it’s such a big deal that it’s hard to imagine it happening regardless.

40. Snowman says:

Ducey,

Size is only as good as the skill it is paired with.

41. RexLibris says:

oliveoilers:

Sounds like a real “glue” guy.

I’m in.

42. RexLibris says:

Cameron:

Wouldn’t it make more sense to do a C for D trade involving one of Nuge or Drai for a DMan a few yrs older? Break the bank and move Nuge for OEL with additional picks/prospects as necessary? The search for balance is a regular theme here, and the Oil are way lopsided on young forwards, unsupported by a similar talent on the blue. The saying goes ‘build from the blue out/down the middle’, so absent a balancing trade I see a lot of long nights in the Oilers end of the rink while the talentup front stagnates.

If there was ever a time to rebalance the core it would be now.

I know this sounds like a page out of the old Oiler Way, but I think that was a chapter ago.

43. Halfwise says:

Drew:
    Halfwise,

We’ll never know the answer, but your point is a good one. There are three sides to every story.

44. rickithebear says:

Bar_Qu: Purcell is not an issue for the team

8.8% career Shooting in an offensive Role.

Team Shooting %

10:00+ TOI games
    84gm 22G 192SH 11.5%

Mcdavid ??????

I BO Purcell and Ference

45. Drew says:

Halfwise,

I would like to think that the decisions made by previous regimes are now being made by deeper more analytical thinker types.

I know in my past, whenever I am part of a company take over we acknowledge the past but do not carry past behaviors forward, every decision going forward is made with a “rational decision making model” (situation dependant). It looks like that is now happening in Oilerville.

This helps me to move on from the disgust and anger I felt watching the McLoweBellini triumvirate of stupidity for all these years (and I was a big MacT fan, sigh).

46. Obiwan Eberle says:

I’d buy out Purcell and NN.

consider running Dr Drai on the right side (really likes his back hand)

He could run with McDavid or Lander depending where you’d like Nail.

or that money could be used to take a flyer on Stewart.

D is the priority though…Schultz, 2016 1rd and 3rd even close enough for Brent Burns?

47. thurmtim says:

RexLibris: Sounds like a real “glue” guy.

RexLibris,

I’m in.

I am

C’mon guys.. Stop horsing around! This is no time to be filly, please pony up to the conversation. BTW “glue guy” had me snorting my Ovaltine out my nose. Not a oretty sight…

48. Melman says:

Also, clicked the link to the King Clancy award – neat to see that 3 of the past 7 winners were Moreau, Weight (I still miss watching him play) and Ference

49. flyfish1168 says:

I’m very curious where this rumor or reliable source is from about Seabrook to Oliers is from?

50. GCW_69 says:

Obiwan Eberle:
    I’d buy out Purcell and NN.

consider running Dr Drai on the right side (really likes his back hand)

He could run with McDavid or Lander depending where you’d like Nail.

or that money could be used to take a flyer on Stewart.

I am warming up to Semin over Stewart. Semin has a career corsi% of 54.6, and is still 53.9% over the last three years. His shooting percentage last year was way below his career average. If you could get him on a one year redemption deal under $2M and put him together with Hall and McDavid you have two strong possession players to protect McDavid and two guys who can score for McDavid to pass to.

51. Halfwise says:

Drew,

I share that view. My cup of goodwill was full on June 20 2006, because the team was so close and credit had to go to KL and co for assembling that group.

Then they pissed it all away. I’m relieved that Katz finally came to his senses.

52. LadiesloveSmid says:

Obiwan Eberle:
    I’d buy out Purcell and NN.

consider running Dr Drai on the right side (really likes his back hand)

He could run with McDavid or Lander depending where you’d like Nail.

or that money could be used to take a flyer on Stewart.

Yak for Spurgeon

Sign one of Fehr/Semin/Santorelli

53. G Money says:

flyfish1168,

I believe it started with Stauffer, who many consider an insider, though I don’t think he actually is…

54. Cameron says:

RexLibris: And then the Oilers can run an 18 year old as their 1st line center with a 19 year old as their #2 C with Lander and Letestu behind them.

I was thinking something like;

—>StL: Nuge, and picks +filler
    —>Edm: Shattenkirk, and Berglund +picks/filler

(adjust picks/filler as you need)

It flips the script on the D, gives you a legit #1 who can mentor the pups, and brings in a heavy lifting big man at C to shelter Nuge and Drai.

As it stands you are sheltering your 18 year and 19 year olds with a 22 year old, and running what is arguably the worst D in the league.

55. jonrmcleod says:

The only time Chiarelli talked about what kind of defenseman he was looking for, he said someone in their mid-20s who could grow with the team. So I wouldn’t get too excited/panicked about Seabrook.

56. vinotintazo says:

Cameron,

dont trade nuge.

\banned

57. David says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Are we getting on the Yak for Spurgeon train on twitter?

58. David says:

Cameron:

If there was ever a time to rebalance the core it would be now.

59. Cameron says:

RexLibris:
    Also, farewell Mr. Sharif.

The contract bridge world will never be the same.

60. Rube Foster says:

As far as waivers and the Oil using them to be opportunistic and claim someone.

It looks awefuly crowded amongst the wingers in St. Louis. Our guy Ultra Magnus might end up on the outside again in Blues land.

I still haven’t given up on the fantasy of of seeing Leon playing the role of Linus, riding shotgun with Lander and Pajaarvi.

Ultra Magnus is a fast train, has chemistry with our group, fits the cluster and the price is right.

I ain’t going to work on Maggie’s Farm no more?

61. Drew says:

Cameron,

I believe the fine analysis by posters on this site showed that the Oilers defensive group was bad but not the worst. It looks like the group will be somewhat stronger and utilized in a much better way, i.e. development of players, experience of coach, rational thinker in GM role.

I suspect that the team’s tactical deployment will be much stronger and will more closely utilize the existing Oilers asset mix and not the philosophical ideals of the coach/GM.

Having to rearrange the asset mix to align with an “ideal” might mean losing in this exercise, as the buyer would likely have to incentivise an unmotivated seller in order to get them on board of the deal?

62. Woogie63 says:

Two defensemen from Athletic families,
    One plays in SSM and one in Edmonton

Both Captain their team and lead their team to a long Memorial Cup run
    Both play a shut down role at the WJC
    Both graduate CHL as a 20 year old
    Both are selected as top 3 future NHL defenseman prospects

One has played an extra season against men, learning about what it takes to be a pro
    One has played in the a league where the players are faster, stronger and more committed

don’t be surprized if one of these two great prospects is more ready on October 2015

63. Ducey says:

Snowman: Ducey, I disagree with the notion the Oilers need more size. There wasn’t a single big team in the stanley cup finals this year. The Oilers need to be better than everyone. Size is not a reason to keep somebody. The only reason to keep somebody is they are better at hockey than everybody else who is trying to get their job. That’s it. All other reasons are not reasons. They’re misconceptions perpetuated by media and “hockey” people. Size is only as good as the skill it is paired with.

I am familiar with the argument.

The question was whether Gazdic was going to be on the roster. You may not think they need size, but the OIlers do. Their opinion matters when it comes to making the roster.

Anyway, the black and white size doesn’t matter argument is no more valid than the size is king argument.

64. Doug McLachlan says:

vinotintazo:
    Cameron,

dont trade nuge.

\banned

Lol.

Cam is still thinking the Oilers are in “bold moves” mode.

There may be a day where Chia concludes he needs to trade a Yak or Ebs or even Nuge or Hall, but it certainly won’t be before McLellan and him have seen them in action.

65. Chris says:

I don’t get why anyone in their right mind would trade Nuge. He can shelter McDavid the first couple years and afterwards that is a hell of a one-two punch.

66. vinotintazo says:

Woogie63,

I’d Say Reinhart is more ready mentally.

while nurse is ready physically.

I think Nurse will be last year’s Klefbom (start in the AHL for like 10-20 games) then up to the club for good.

67. judgedrude says:

Melman: Most importantly LT, if NN gets bought out and (say) Erhoff comes in does that mean the vaunted Balance photo will finally be revealed!?!?! Readers want to know!

You mean this one of LT in his youth?

68. Cameron says:

Drew:
    Cameron,

I’d be curious whose D you think is worse than the Oilers? Arizona has OEL, an elite young talent who can play 20+min a night. Even if the rest of the D are terrible (which they mostly are), that is still a 3rd of the game they have an elite defender on the ice. Maybe Buffalo (your opinions on Bogosian may vary, but I like him better than all the Edm D not named Klefbom or Nurse, and that is because their ceilings are higher, not because they are better right now), or maybe Clb, who rely way to much on Jack ‘advanced stats hate me’ Johnson, but I struggle to think of a team with a worse 1st pairing than Edm.

69. blainer says:

rickithebear: 8.8% career Shooting in an offensive Role.

Team Shooting %

Last 23gm AHL 9G 6A 62Sh 14.5%

Slepyshev
    10:00+ TOI games
    84gm 22G 192SH 11.5%

Mcdavid ??????

I BO Purcell and Ference

Not to keen on doing two buyouts. that will hurt too much going forward. Maybe we can find a team for Purcell retaining half the salary. I am also ok with having him here to start the year as he has played well with an elite talent like stamkos.. shooting % may change playing with CMD.. For me it’s ference.. Addition by subtraction and solves the captaincy issue at the same time.

70. Cameron says:

Doug McLachlan: Lol.

Cam is still thinking the Oilers are in “bold moves” mode.

flyfish1168:
    I’m very curious where this rumor or reliable source is from about Seabrook to Oliers isfrom?

Likely Seabrook’s agents, negotiating in public, looking for a bagholder for his 7 x $$7.5 million extension.

72. Bar_Qu says:

rickithebear,

I think Purcell is a known quantity and therefore better than whatever is out there which might perform more poorly. I certainly don’t think Glencross (as an example) with his tendency to streaky performance is worth adding years to Purcell’s cap hit.

RexLibris:
    Also, farewell Mr. Sharif.

We don’t see pics of handsome men on this blog, but Sharif in his prime was a ladykiller. Hollywood’s golden age just lost another shining light.

73. David says:

Cameron: Nothing would make me happier than watching the Oilers continue on the path they have set, waiting for the defense to mature as the young fwds collect losing records and ever bigger paychecks.

This should be what you don’t want as this is how Edmonton will be a very good team for a long time. Nurse Klefbom and Reinhart aren’t that far away and have a decade of strong play ahead of them. Our forwards are an embarrassment of riches that in two- three years should be the best in the league. A couple of them will eventually have to be traded but will collect a big return and will be replaced by Yakimov, Slepyshev, Chase etc. the only way the oilers can ruin this is if they make bad trades trying to speed up the process.

74. RexLibris says:

Bar_Qu,

Re; Sharif

Agreed.

He was sort of one of the last of those matinee idols in the Rock Hudson fashion. That he did it as an Egyptian born actor makes it all the more impressive when you consider Hollywood’s casting bias.

75. Pouzar says:

I will believe it if the 6 best D are on the team. And you know what that means.

76. dannyboy says:

would Dougie Hamilton be the player he is today if not for the way he was developed? Or the players he learned from?

Why not season Nurse the correct way. Let him dominate the AHL before putting him in the AHL

i really think that Nurse could be better than Hamilton if we develop him correctly.

we have so much talent on this team its ridiculous.

Poo-Nuge-Ebs————these guys played great last year, against the toughs

Hall-Lander-Purcell——-Hall drives the play.

Korpi-Mcjesus-Yak——–our third scoring line.

i think its wise to spread the attack around. teams wont be able to defend us.

As Mcdavid matures and dominates move him up, same for yak. then Drai comes in to play on the third line with lander until hes ready to take the center spot..

I wouldnt be opposed to signing roy for 1 year cheap cheap. id prefer richards, but will have to see how this LA thing unfolds. if you can do a year at 1.5, for the experience alone…YES id prefer the vet presence…this lineup lacks that.

Another D would be nice, im not sold on seabrook. maybe if we were already a playoff team, dont get me wrong, hes amazing, but at 31…for a 6 or 7 years…im not so sure.

hes not duncan keith

I truly believe that Todd Mclellan will be the real hero of the day. quality coaching and coaching staff. unlocking this collection of high draft picks true potential

77. Drew says:

Cameron,

You seem to only want to discuss pieces of my argument but no matter I will give it a shot. Your supposition seems to be that for the Oilers to be any good they must fit a certain paradigm which includes a “top defencemen”. Top defencemen being one of the league’s best i.e. OEL (ten best, fifteen best, five best, not sure?) or they have no chance to be a contender?

I disagree, I believe that the Oilers have such strong base of young skilled forwards that they need a defensive unit that aligns and plays to this strength. Maximizes the existing portfolio of assets if you will. Why should the team chase a deal to find one the young league’s best defensemen when this transaction seems to be a losing one (value given versus value gained) in terms of exchanging assets? I realize that value depends on a great number of variables here.

Quickly looking at a historical results seems to support this strategy. The 1988 Oilers won a Stanley cup with the following defencemen; Smith, Huddy, Beukeboom, Lowe, Gregg. Not one of these prayers was a consistent Norris candidate (they played to the skills of the team at the time). I am not saying this is the best team in terms of asset allocation, just saying it can be a winning mix.
    I believe that the today Oilers look at their asset mix and build a reliable defensive group using cap casualties and other opportunities without throwing things up in the air to “get” OEL because this is the only way to win.

Oh and yes, not one of the Oilers defensive unit is as good as OEL. You also admit that there is some good potential in the group (Nurse and Klefbom), I guess you agree another good defender added such as a Sekera type, coupled with some ongoing player development and the Oilers could likely be OK on the back end?

78. frjohnk says:

Cameron: I’d be curious whose D you think is worse than the Oilers? Arizona has OEL,an elite young talent who can play 20+min a night. Even if the rest of the D are terrible (which they mostly are), that is still a 3rd of the game they have an elite defenderon the ice. Maybe Buffalo (your opinions on Bogosian may vary, but I like him better than all the Edm D not named Klefbom or Nurse, and that is because their ceilings are higher, not because they are better right now), or maybe Clb, who rely way to much on Jack ‘advanced stats hate me’ Johnson, but I struggle to think of a team with a worse 1st pairing than Edm.

Last year Buffalo, Arizona, Toronto and Colorado all had worse corsi against, fenwick against,shots against, scoring chances against and high danger scoring chances against.

Edmonton ranked anywhere from 20th to 26th in those disciplines.

Not the worst last year and for many of those metrics they were closer to league average than to the eggs that Toronto and Buffalos D core laid.

Where Edmonton slots in this year is a guess. Buffalo will be way better. Torontos goalies will see a lot of rubber. Colorado still has holes. Arizona is shooting for Matthews and I’m sure a team on the downswing (nucks?) will lay some eggs

But I’d bet that McLellan will tighten up the oilers D not only from the D but from the forwards and we will see less high danger chances against. And if a guy, not gonna name names can not get the idea to play good defence. PC will ship him out.

79. Pouzar says:

Cameron: I was thinking something like;

—>StL: Nuge, and picks +filler
    —>Edm: Shattenkirk, and Berglund +picks/filler

(adjust picks/filler as you need)

Nuge doesn’t go for anything less than a bonafide #1. Shattenkirk is not that.

80. Younger Oil says:

81. Pouzar says:

2 Strikes.

82. Adam Wu says:

It is an open question whether a team can win the cup without a true #1 D.

But what isn’t disputable at all is that a team can make the playoffs with a stellar F corps, good goaltending, and a weak D. This is proven fact because it has been done before, multiple times. Teams like this may not go far into the playoffs (but again, we have definitive evidence that it is possible to win at least one series with a team built like that), but getting in is easily doable.

Which is to say that the Oilers do not have to mortgage the future for #1 D right now, this offseason. If one becomes available for a reasonable price, by all means go for it, but otherwise, keep the powder dry for the next two off seasons.

83. Pouzar says:

Adam Wu: It is an open question whether a team can win the cup without a true #1 D.

It isn’t for me. Carolina and Pittsburgh come to mind.

84. Ducey says:

Younger Oil: I don’t know if this has been discussed much, but are players like Purcell and Nikitin tradeable if we retain half of their salary?I think we’d like both of them more if they were being paid $2.25M instead of $4.5M.Could probably sign Glencross or Fehr for under $2.25M at this point, so replacing Purcell that way would save money, and the money saved from Nikitin could be put towards someone like Erhoff.

Why would the other team take Purcell if they themselves could just sign Fehr at $2.25 M?

85. LMHF#1 says:

Adam Wu:
    It is an open question whether a team can win the cup without a true #1 D.

Carolina beat the Oilers without one.

86. Connor'sreal says:

interesting that one team appears five times in that table…

DTM About Heart ‏@DTMAboutHeart Jul 9
    Worst 5-man units of the 2014-2015 season (at least 75 minutes TOI) by CF%

87. Jordan says:

Am away on a lovely family vacation on the west coast. Too much smoke, except it’s been hot like the badlands here, so the smoke has been a relief from the sun. Best vacation weather wise I’ve had out here.

Weather in oil country seems improved. Good bets, no overpays, lots of options. Appreciate the silver foxs contributions (as I do many posters). Really made me think about the D. Thank you.

I think the focus on D improvement is the key issue. Sekera, Fayne & Kbom should be good bets for top 4. Lots of options for the bottom 3. Can one of Gryba / Griff / Schultz / Nikitin / Nurse step up into top 4? I’d bet one will. If they can, giddyup.

First time with my 1 year old on vacation. Doesn’t hate the water anymore. Used to scream whenever she was in it. Now enjoys it. Really hard to predict development. But there are more than enough signs that she’s very bright.

Don’t have a huge track record with many of the individuals new to Oilerdom. But like my daughter there are many signs this team’s future is very bright. I’m not concerned with how high they get or when they do.

Just enjoying the ride.

Being a dad with perspective rocks!

Thanks so much to all of you parents out there for sharing your wisdom here.

Wonderful community.

88. flyfish1168 says:

G Money:
    flyfish1168,

Its interesting rumour and one I don’t support do to CAP space issues . When Chia was hired one of his comments he made was he wanted players that can fit the core and grow with them. Seabrook doesn’t really fit that model. JMHO

89. Doug McLachlan says:

No, nothing would make you happier than having the Oilers pull the chute too early on a stud forward for a good 2nd pairing d-man and regret it over and over for years.

I understand you were nurtured on Gilmour to the Leafs and Hull to Blues – we are hoping to avoid those sort of experiences.

Not saying that a core forward doesn’t get moved for a young, elite D – in fact that is probably likely. I just think it is not going to happen before the puck drops and, I don’t know, they see what they actually have and how it works together and what is needed to make it better.

Everything so far has been fairly low risk. The heavy lifting is still to come and it may way involve some tough choices that will cause a lot of anxiety in Oilers Nation but those trades aren’t made in mid-July.

90. anonymous says:

Be interesting to read an off season summary blog contemplating what would have been had the Oil not won the lottery. I wonder if it’s Mact and Nelson with little changes had things not swung this way. Dougie Hamilton and Dylan Strome?

91. Doug McLachlan says:

David: the oilers can ruin this is if they make bad trades trying to speed up the process.

I think Cameron is advocating somehow Burking the rebuild. Thanks but no thanks.

92. khildahl says:

LMHF#1: Carolina beat the Oilers without one.

While said Oilers had arguably the best one in the league.

93. Drew says:

khildahl: While said Oilers had arguably the best one in the league.

There are many ways to achieve the same result?

94. Revolved says:

I think your ‘prevailing wisdom’ is bang on, although the oilers website has at least hall and poi loot flipped. Unfortunately, I think this is far too top loaded. If Purcell is all the help Lander gets, we have given up on believing in Unicorns and the kid in me dies a little.

As for claims of worst D in the league, I think that replacing Ference with Klefbom in the top four guarantees improvement. When Griff and Nurse arrive, I think things could progress rapidly beyond average.

Sadly, this is likely not our year and I can accept the arguments for not buying out Ference, but after so long, I think that getting the fans, Hall, Eberle and Nuge a taste of competitiveness might be worth the million we’ll have to squeeze out of our core in three years.

95. Doug McLachlan says:

Connor’sreal: interesting that one team appears five times in that table…DTM About Heart ‏@DTMAboutHeart Jul 9Worst 5-man units of the 2014-2015 season (at least 75 minutes TOI) by CF%https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJe4Sn6UYAIeyzx.png

I wouldn’t worry about Calgary’s corsi issues.

They have Hamilton and, you know, development and grit and glue. Conference finalists. It is known.

96. khildahl says:

Drew,

My point being that you don’t necessarily need an elite superstar 1D to win.

I think we agree with each other?

97. Drew says:

khildahl:
    Drew,

My point being that you don’t necessarily need an elite superstar 1D to win.

I think we agree with each other?

Absolutely we agree, I do not like (only) standard in the box thinking. Keep an open mind.

98. Connor'sreal says:

Doug McLachlan,

not to mention, a Jack Adams as well.

Funny how the last two CoY winners were corgi deniers.

99. RexLibris says:

Regarding needing a #1 D.

Every team needs one. Heck, two for good measure.

However, circumstances being what they are, a team needs to find solutions to that problem their own way.

It is a fair strategy to take in that it spreads out your vulnerability to injury, allows for more flexible use of ice time and helps to balance out a blueline roster by way of last-change matchups.

If none of Klefbom, Reinhart and Nurse become true #1Ds the Oilers will still likely have three solid top-pairing defensemen to work with.

100. Doug McLachlan says:

Aaaandd we have another Cap Crunch team as the Red Wings ink Nyquist to a 4yr deal at $4.75M per.

That now makes them the second team, along with Chicago, to find themselves OVER the cap as per General Fanager by more than $500K.

Clearly they can drop some two-way deals into the minors to get under but they still have Tomas Jurko and Teemu Pulkkinen to sign.

Vultures, commence circling the D-corps in Detroit!

Fuck the Calgary Flames.

Seriously, fuck them.

Oil will finish above them next year and for the next decade.

102. Snowman says:

Woodguy:
    Fuck the Calgary Flames.

Seriously, fuck them.

Oil will finish above them next year and for the next decade.

I’m not sure I fully understand your position RE: the Calgary Flames, can you elaborate? Let your genuine feelings on the matter be known to the world.

103. vinotintazo says:

Woodguy,

uhh.. yeah! what he said!.

104. Younger Oil says:

Woodguy:
    Fuck the Calgary Flames.

Seriously, fuck them.

Oil will finish above them next and for the next decade.

I think a certain Handsome Argent Vulpes might want to make a bet with you on that one 😀

But yes, Fuck Calgary.

105. ashley says:

There was no way to know in advance, but I’m thinking the Oilers might have overpaid for Sekara. The free agent market is completely in the hands of the buyers. There are still really good options out there who everyone thought would get 5 x 6 or 6 x 6 on July 1, but still don’t have their name on an NHL roster on July 10.

Who knows though. Maybe a couple of teams were lining up for Sekara. But if we knew that Franson and Ehroff would be available July 10 (for a probable bargain at this point) would Chia have jumped out so quickly with top dollars AND term?

It’s fascinating to watch compared to previous years, especially before the cap. The cap room has become more valuable than above average, experienced NHL players.

106. Bruce McCurdy says:

Jordan: Can one of Gryba / Griff / Schultz / Nikitin / Nurse step up into top 4?

Not to pick on your comment specifically, but the general question “can Schultz step into the top four”.

He has been in the top four since the day he arrived!!

Whether he deserves to be there on merit is another question, but the ongoing narrative that Schultz isn’t a top four defenceman is not based on his actual deployment for the entire 2.6 years he’s been in the NHL. In fact based on ice time he is top two.

Mark Fayne, on the other hand, ranked seventh in ATOI among Oilers d-men (40+ GP) at under 18 minutes a night, more than 20% less ice time than Schultz. The previous two years he was fifth among NJD regulars in that same category. Yet somehow he seems to be pencilled into everybody’s top four.

Barring a major shake-up Schultz has been and remains Edmonton’s best (only?) option for offence from the back end. Of the newcomers Sekera brings a little of that, Gryba and Reinhart almost none. I don’t envision a scenario where Schultz doesn’t get ice time and opportunity with offensive players in offensive situations, at both EV & PP. Maybe not to the degree he got in the past, but it would be a steep fall-off to see him get third-pairing minutes. I’ll believe it when I see it; in the meantime I’ll pencil him into the top four & hope like hell McLellan, Johnson & Co. can coach him up.

107. malinpaul says:

There are lots of examples where genius rubs off. Jerry Garcia and the rest of the dead, Wayne and company… I get this flicker of hope that guys like Griffin or Yak that could be high-end, are able to raise their game in the arms of McJesus.

I’d like to see Reinhart make the team over Gryba – because I think there is more upside.

Also – Nurse makes the team day one.

108. Магия 10 says:

Connor’sreal: Funny how the last two CoY winners were corgi deniers.

There should be a rule limiting COY to Corgi deniers, Why give COY to a coach that builds up fundamentals over time, when you can give it to a coach that wins with a bad team? There’s at least one each year and since it can’t possibly be a roulette table win, any teams that spikes in wins without improving shots must be getting more grititude/60 from their coach than every other team.

109. Younger Oil says:

ashley:
    There was no way to know in advance, but I’m thinking the Oilers might have overpaid for Sekara.The free agent market is completely in the hands of the buyers.There are still really good options out there who everyone thought would get 5 x 6 or 6 x 6 on July 1, but still don’t have their name on an NHL roster on July 10.

Who knows though.Maybe a couple of teams were lining up for Sekara.But if we knew that Franson and Ehroff would be available July 10 (for a probable bargain at this point) would Chia have jumped out so quickly with top dollars AND term?

It’s fascinating to watch compared to previous years, especially before the cap.The cap room has become more valuable than above average, experienced NHL players.

I’d personally prefer to do a slight 500K overpay on Sekera than not have him at all.

110. Cameron says:

Doug McLachlan: I think Cameron is advocating somehow Burking the rebuild.Thanks but no thanks.

I would have thought you guys have been patient enough, but your current ‘plan’ won’t really be in place until Nurse and Klefbom hit their strides at ages 23-25 ish.

Drew,

I agree, there are teams that have had some success without a strong top defender (though I thought Pitkanen in his prime for Carolina was a fair imitation of one in short doses), but I’d suggest that is a low% strategy to pursue.

111. Connor'sreal says:

Woodguy,

Are you trying to summon someone?

112. Connor'sreal says:

Bruce McCurdy,

113. LadiesloveSmid says:

Woodguy:
    Fuck the Calgary Flames.

Seriously, fuck them.

Oil will finish above them next year and for the next decade.

I really hope they keep Hard Work Hartley in charge because that roster is going to be quite good.

Bennett, Monahan, Backlund. Gio, Brodie, Hamilton, Kylington. Gillies. Gord damn.

Drives me nuts when Stauff plays up the flames or talks about the steps Edmonton needs to take to become a playoff team like the flames. Be an oiler fan Bob!

114. LadiesloveSmid says:

Connor’sreal,

summon?

after his “goodbye” that lasted 12 hours he’s been lurking and waiting to pounce ever since

115. AsiaOil says:

Seabrook will hurt this team when it’s contending (cap reasons and age) not help – it’s a short-sighted move. Sure we need another dman this year – but we cannot turn our cap situation in 2018-2020 into a flaming dumpster fire for what will then be a 2nd or 3rd pair dman who will be well past his best before date. It’s a BOTB move – not a Chia move – and it’s not surprising that someone attached to the BOTB suggests it. If Seabrook agrees to a 4 year extension along with the remaining 1 year of this contract fine – otherwise forget it.

You buy out Ference because he is a historically inept defenseman for the EDM Oilers. The guy will lose more games than Seabrook wins for you. This signing was a massive mistake and cutting him loose now frees up many millions that can be used on a real bridge dman – especially if we can trade Nikitin and/or Shultz. If Franson or Erhoff get desperate enough to agree on a 2 year deal – you jump on that – but you don’t bugger our cap situation down the line to barely make the playoffs this year. In one year the situation with the young dmen will be much clearer and the correct move will be obvious – it isn’t right now.

116. vinotintazo says:

Cameron,

keep on dreaming

117. Connor'sreal says:

Cameroon,

stay classy

118. Cameron says:

Doug McLachlan,

Pulkinnen is one of those guys who gets described as a ‘pure gunner’. Whoever steals him will be getting buckets of goals. And a Finn.

119. Younger Oil says:

Just editing this to get rid of my previous comment.

Instead, just enjoy this blast from the past:

120. russ99 says:

dannyboy:

we have so much talent on this team its ridiculous.

Poo-Nuge-Ebs————these guys played great last year, against the toughs

Hall-Lander-Purcell——-Hall drives the play.

Korpi-Mcjesus-Yak——–our third scoring line.

i think its wise to spread the attack around. teams wont be able to defend us.

hes not duncan keith

The biggest reason why we shouldn’t run 3 scoring lines besides the obvious need to have 2 lines that can handle tough own-zone sorties:

One high-end skill player gets stuck with 1-2 boat anchor linemates.

Case in point: Hall – Lander – Purcell. Hall and Lander will probably be behind the goal line by the time Purcell is over the blueline. And don’t get me started about Yak on a checking line…

121. malinpaul says:

We need to aggressively go after a #1D (real) norris prospect in the 23-26yr range. If any team in the NHL has the GM and the assets to acquire this type of player – McDonagh, OEL,Hedman etc. it is us. Will it be pricey? DAMN RIGHT. Will it be worth it? DAMN RIGHT! ((keith, doughty, chara, pronger… ))

want to win multiple cups? get an under 26 bona fide norris prospect.

this will be the second most important player in our dynasty 2.0

122. Adam Wu says:

Cameron: I for one am really looking forward to that career-long speed-sapping knee injury McD is going to get from his collisions with Keegan Kanzig in Penticton.

Because we all have dreams, mine are simply less vulgar than some.

Wishing bodily harm on an 18 year old kid?

The stuff DSF spews might not necessarily be ban worthy, but this kind of thing certainly should be.

And if you claim it was “just” a joke, that makes it even worse.

123. Drew says:

Cameron: ‘Tis true, I would reccomend ‘Burking’ your rebuild. Add a Seabrook, a Shattenkirk, or trade a young star fwd and picks for a Ryan McDonagh. Or do all three.

Drew,

Was thinking our discussion was the difference between a top defender versus ok defenders, I agree there is often more than way to be successful. Cheers.

124. Dashingsilverfox says:

RexLibris: I (and I regret having to say this) liked what the Canucks could run in the blueline when they made their SCF run. They didn’t have one stud defender for all situations, but rather a collection of four really damned good high-end guys who could keep their heads above water against virtually all the opposition.

A good argument could be made that is exactly the reason (the lack of a stud #1D) that they lost the series….someone who could dominate the way that Duncan Keith and Victor Hedman did this year.

Had Chara been a Canuck, the tables likely turn.

125. Bruce McCurdy says:

Connor’sreal:
    Bruce McCurdy,

Thanks. It was a pleasant change of pace to feast on some other fanbase’s misery for once.

126. Bruce McCurdy says:

Connor’sreal:
    Cameroon,

stay classy

“stay”?

Wishing injury on opponents is bush.

127. ashley says:

Younger Oil: From reports I heard that lots of teams were going hard after Sekera at $5.5M, and the only way that the Oilers got him was by adding on that 6th year.

Interesting. Do you have a link?

ashley:

Sekera is a good defensemen. Franson most certainly is not. Most teams and their brain trusts (which now include analytics) agree with me, not with unemployed fancy stattters.

Ehrhoff
    1) is still living comfortably off of his Buffalo buyout.
    2) carries a lot of injury risk with that concussion.
    3) wants to play in the East. (He is a player who has experienced Western travel and Eastern travel, so this shouldn’t be considered a minor item.)

Oduya is waiting for Chicago to clear cap room.

The good D got signed to good deals. Petry, Sekera, Martin, Michalek.

Franson isn’t any good. The Leafs and Nashville know him best, and the Leafs (and their renowned advanced stats group) let him walk, and Nashville D gurus decided not to double down on their wasted first round draft pick.

Franson is awful. Please people. Stop suggesting that he is good.

129. Younger Oil says:

ashley: Interesting.Do you have a link?

I’m afraid I can’t immediately find one, it was spoken, not in an article, but I’m pretty sure it was a pretty reliable source (Dreger, McKenzie, or Friedman).

130. Cameron says:

Woodguy,

Fair enough, that was indeed over the top.

Bruce McCurdy:

132. McSorley33 says:

Cameron,

******************************************************************************
    Yeah, but the refs will be ALL over that….and then we would be on the PP.

Just like when 18 year old – 5 11 160 pounds – Nik Ehlers ( Winnipeg Jet ) played a pre-season game against Minnesota last year…

Refs were ALL over the Wild.

Taught the Wild a lesson. Reportedly, some of the Wild players felt really bad about how the 18 year old kid was treated.

Connor’sreal:
    Doug McLachlan,

not to mention, a Jack Adams as well.

Funny how the last two CoY winners were corgi deniers.

I know Eakins had all you guys convinced that talk is more important than action, but in Calgary, those guys take action and don’t talk, and their actions (Hamilton, Frolik) suggest they are Corsi believers, rather than deniers.

Having a bad team is not an excuse for losing. Krueger and Hartley are not MacT and Eakins.

So if one is dealt a 42% Corsi team, the coach’s job is still to find a way to win, and deploy systems and strategies that will make one competitive.

134. commonfan14 says:

Sekera-Fayne
    Klefbom-Nurse
    Reinhart-Schultz

Flip the first and second pairings after next season, with Talbot to soon be locked in at net.

It’s possible this whole blog is Reagan in the limo telling the secret service guys that he’s fine.

The rebuild ended – we just don’t realize it yet.

135. Cameron says:

McSorley33,

I meant it in hyperbole, but it clearly wasnt received that way. I’ve deleted the comment.

godot10: Reinhart had a more than respectable number of points for a rookie AHL defensemen buried with D zone starts against the best lines of the opposition with little to no power play time.

Reinhart is very likely to see the same handling as an NHL player. It’s doubtful he’ll get PP time and as we all know D who don’t get PP time tend not to have huge offensive value.

137. Doug McLachlan says:

Connor’sreal: Bruce McCurdy, Since I don’t FB and can’t comment at CoH, just like to say that was a great piece on the Islanders. But WG might have an actionable case against you, for your use of ‘Because Islanders’. I hear that he has some lawyer friends too…

Echo that. Bruce, loved the piece on the Islanders bailing early on players. So important NOT to do that be it Draisaitl, Yakupov or even, dare I say it, Justin Schultz.

Yes, he’s 25 years old but he’s had only 3 years pro and some very rich NHL coach at the center of the Universe is right, the NHL is not a developmental league.

If MacT hadn’t paid him like a 5 year vet and started dubbing him “Norris” we’d probably have a different view of what he does contribute offensively and what he could, potentially, still learn. I remain hopeful.

Reviewing some of his press clippings following his draft by Anaheim and subsequent defection to Edmonton – a lot of very smart hockey people NOT associated with the Oilers thought there was a real prize to be found there.

6’2″ right-handed offensive defensemen are not easy to acquire. Brain-cramps can be coached out of him. If so, he may have a longer stay with the Oil than we think. If so, it will be because Chia and McLellan have found the value in him NOT because MacT has to justify his verbal. I’m ok with that.

138. ashley says:

jimmers2:
    ashley,

It was from Friedman if no one else.Point #24:

Very nice. Thanks. That makes me feel better already.

139. dustrock says:

Schultz could be a late bloomer. Or, a bust.

Like Cam Barker.

Let’s not wait too long to do reclamation on this particular project.

Edit: What was the name of that AHL ringer who could barely play a single game in the bigs? Alexandre Giroux or something?

140. Cameron says:

Woodguy,

Cameron:
    Woodguy,

142. dustrock says:

Cameron: Woodguy, I spent the entire 80’s wishing for Messier to die in fire. There are entire youtube clips dedicated to ‘Messier Elbow’. So yeah, I’ve wished evil on players, and I imagine there are similar feelings in Oilernation for guys like Fleury, Otto, Regehr, and Sheehy.In this case though, I was clearly over the line, McDavid is as you say, just 18 and as yet undeserved of actual hate. So I take it back, and deleted the post.

I’m quite sure entire cultures have wished for Messier to die in a fire.

It is always infuriating to have an opposing player be skilled and nasty.

143. maudite says:

If I can find the right free agents, willing to sign 2 year deals, I buyout Purcell and a nikitin.

Primary focus being upgrading defense. If erhoff or franson would consider a reasonable 1-2 year deal using that money then I think its a no brainer.

144. LMHF#1 says:

maudite:

Class move

That 08-09 season was something else.

Cameron:
    Woodguy,

er Elbow’.

Thanks.

Nothing wrong with a good CAL-EDM rivalry and harsh words but there is a line.

Also,

I wanted Messier to break Otto’s teeth in every game they played.

No long term injury, just dentures.

😀

146. AsiaOil says:

godot10,

Agree about Franson but he is better than Shultz – and if the money is similar and only for 2 years – Franson replacing Shultz is a deal I could live with.

Connor’sreal:
    Bruce McCurdy,

Then Pat (blackdoghatesskunks) would be the injured party.

My first post at becauseoilers acknowledges that Pat was the originator of “BecauseOilers”

148. Shau-co says:

The challenge with trying to land an elite defenseman at age 25-26 is that most do not emerge until later 20’s and if they emerge younger (e.g., Karlsson, Doughty, Hedman) they are likely not available at virtually any cost.

I am on board with bringing in Seabrook and willing to pay more than many posters on here. Big $ for 4-5 years would be ideal, similar to what Gregor suggests on ON. I think Seabrook brings a lot of intangibles and instantly pushes this team ahead. A No. 1 or No. 2 D-man is by far the most glaring need on this young team.

Boston picked up Chara when he was 29. Seabrook is 30. I am wondering if any of the analytical posters can compare Chara’s stats in Ottawa to when he was in Boston. My memory is telling me that he wasn’t nearly as dominant of a player while in Ottawa.

godot10: Treliving and Hartley don’t look like Corsi deniers if you look at their actions this off-season.

Having a bad team is not an excuse for losing.Krueger and Hartley are not MacT and Eakins.

Shooting % on odd man rushes against EDM was around 25% at one point this year.

No public site tracks odd man rush SH%, but talking to people inside teams who do track it give me the idea that it runs over 15% and can persist as high as 20%.

I have a theory that the Carlyle Leafs and to some extent the Hartley Flames “game corsi” with a break out that relies on wingers flying the zone to create odd man rushes.

Their unsustainable SH% have some sustain because of the system.

Still not a winning hockey strategy if you want to win it all, but it is a strategy for a coach who’s team isn’t good enough to play “possession” hockey and win while doing it. Coaches need wins to stay employed.

Just a theory of mine. No data to back it up yet.

150. Shau-co says:

Regarding the ‘potential’ future cap troubles the Oilers could be in if they add Seabrook. That’s all it would be today, is a potential future problem that could be solved later. You build to win now and then sort out the cap troubles later. Obviously not taking that philosophy to the extreme…

Look at Chicago – they are a perfect example of this. They have had to clear house and re-stock regularly but that doesn’t stop them from adding quality in the short-term to win now. It’s the whole point of a cap-league.

The Oilers are entering a time where they are going to have some very nicely-valued contracts and they need to add good hockey players to win while they can. Not necessarily this year but in the coming few years while they still have Hall, Nuge, Eberle, McDavid at reasonable numbers.

151. Ducey says:

dustrock: I’m quite sure entire cultures have wished for Messier to die in a fire.It is always infuriating to have an opposing player be skilled and nasty.I remember I wanted to eviscerate Bill Laimbeer for just about his entire career.

Surely you are not counting Calgary as a culture?

152. Really? says:

Cameron,

I have found that fans who have never played a sport at an elite level often have over the top reactions to players on other teams. Perhaps it is frustration because they know they could never legitimately compete with the player they demonize.

153. delooper says:

Expecting the Oilers to whup the Flames this coming season is probably a stretch. The Oilers have a lot of growing to do. If it happens early, it would be soooo nice to see them whoop the Flames. But counting on it early, or often, is maybe letting yourself get overheated.

Ducey: Surely you are not counting Calgary as a culture?

Yogurt has more culture than Calgary.

155. Cameron says:

Woodguy: Thanks.

Nothing wrong with a good CAL-EDM rivalry and harsh words but there is a line.

Also,

I wanted Messier to break Otto’s teeth in every game they played.

No long term injury, just dentures.

delooper:
    Expecting the Oilers to whup the Flames this coming season is probably a stretch.The Oilers have a lot of growing to do.If it happens early, it would be soooo nice to see them whoop the Flames.But counting on it early, or often, is maybe letting yourself get overheated.

Nope.

CAL way over achieved and EDM way under achieved and EDM is getting much better with adding COMMAND, Reinhart and probably Nurse and DrySaddle.

Last year CAL was 5th in the NHL with a PDO of 1010
    EDM was 28th with a 973.

Won’t happen again.

Book it!!

157. Cameron says:

Woodguy: Yogurt has more culture than Calgary.

Implying that Edmonton, like yogurt, is mostly a culture of bacteria.

Cameron: Something tells me you wouldn’t have been any less upset if I had suggested Kanzig give McDavid some involuntary dentistry.

*checks to see if CMD skates on his teeth*

No problem at all.

CMD skates faster with the puck than most player can in a full sprint without the puck.

His knees are sacred.

Cameron: Implying that Edmonton, like yogurt, is mostly a culture of bacteria.

I lived in Calgary from the time I was 20 until 27.

Loved it.

Devoid of culture, but a fun city.

160. Cameron says:

Really?:
    Cameron,

I have found that fans who have never played a sport at an elite level often have over the top reactions to players on other teams. Perhaps it is frustration because they know they could neverlegitimately compete with the player they demonize.

I think the reaction to the guy who threw that hit is pretty universal, aside from those who reside in Edmonton.

161. khildahl says:

LMHF#1: Nice, and he even mentioned Iginla without mentioning the BS dirty play that started the whole mess with management.

That 08-09 season was something else.

I think that was the 09-10 season. Didn’t Pat Quinn criticize him after the game for not responding with a cheap shot?

162. Магия 10 says:

Lowetide: we all know D who don’t get PP time tend not to have huge offensive value.

We also know players that get lots of pp time whose offensive value does not translate to ES because they are negative corsi monsters.

We also know there is a breed of D that are positive corsi monster because they deny zone entry and make outlet passes way more than they rush up into the killing floor.

GR’s upside would be the latter with monster ES/60 point rate and ES/PK minutes. If teams only pay big # for PP value, better yet if GR turns out to have more offensive value away from PP.

163. Cameron says:

Woodguy: I lived in Calgary from the time I was 20 until 27.

Loved it.

Devoid of culture, but a fun city.

I frequently had to work in Edmonton, and while I love many of the people there, I can honestly say I hate that city.

In truth I was never much a fan of Calgary’s ‘yee haw’ culture myself, though it has changed enormously over the last ten years to be a lot more cosmopolitan.

Cameron,

Shouldn’t you be punching dogies, herding sheep, castrating young bulls or milking something instead of posting on an Oilers blog?

165. RPG says:

Cameron: So yeah, I’ve wished evil on players, and I imagine there are similar feelings in Oilernation for guys like Fleury, Otto, Regehr, and Sheehy.

Jim Peplinski, even writing his name right now causes my blood pressure to spike. I loathed that man.

166. Doug McLachlan says:

Lived in both Edm and Cgy. Always found the Springfield-Shelbyville rivalry sort of silly.

Miss being near the mountains in Calgary, prefer the Edmonton river valley, love the Calgary downtown, love the Edmonton festivals. Love Edmonton evening dining, miss Calgary’s breakfast/brunch options.

As will all places, it’s the people.

Calgary is a lesser city now that Cameron’s in Lethbridge.

Edmonton has my wife, kids, Ruby the dog and McDavid

167. GCW_69 says:

Connor’sreal:
    Woodguy,

Are you trying to summon someone?

Woodguy is DSF. Have you ever seen them in a room together? Of course you haven’t.

168. classicT says:

Woodguy: Shooting % on odd man rushes against EDM was around 25% at one point this year.

No public site tracks odd man rush SH%,but talking to people inside teams who do track it give me the idea that it runs over 15% and can persist as high as 20%.

Their unsustainable SH% have some sustain because of the system.

Just a theory of mine. No data to back it up yet.

Definitely seems like it could have been the case with Toronto, and would help explain the drop off post Carlyle. It does play well into a system of get Kessel the puck and let him go.

I’m not sure about Calgary, they also had the benefit of 3 D in the top 20 for goals scored. If they are getting high shooting %’s from odd man rushes, and it’s sustainable, I’d imagine the D shooting % is not.

169. RPG says:

Lowtide, I listened to the show today, please have Sunil Agnihotri on again, he was excellent.

170. RexLibris says:

Getting back to the article for a moment:

Waiver worries – I’m not worried about Nilsson as I think most teams loaded up with the glut of FA goalies this summer.

Out of Miller, Davidson, Hunt and R. Hamilton, Davidson is the only one I’m hoping we can retain because I think he’d be an ideal #7 right now and it’ll be harder to cheer for him on another team.

That being said, like Fedun before him, I’d rather he plays in the NHL than not regardless of where he plays.

As for claiming someone off waivers, that remains to be seen.

Markstrom was on the wire a year ago, as was Lander. Every year there are players that give us pause to consider. Thankfully the bottom of the roster appears solid enough now that we won’t be looking at a 14th forward from another team and wondering if he fits as a 3rd or even 2nd line winger.

I suspect Chiarelli is cursing MacTavish and Howson right now because without Ference and Nikitin he could have added Ehrhoff and Franson and go into September with six qualified NHL defensemen.

171. RPG says:

maudite,

Absolutely fantastic retirement letter.

172. Cameron says:

Their unsustainable SH% have some sustain because of the system.

Just a theory of mine. No data to back it up yet.

As theories go, it’s not bad, it might even be correct. My own theory is;

– the high PDO is the direct result of elevated sh%, specifically from the top line (Monahan, Hudler, Gaudreay), all of who posted crooked sh% numbers. (and if you remove those three, Cgy would be sub 100 PDO). Hudler is within his historical norms though, and Johnny G and Monahan are too young to have much track to judge, but in Monahan’s case his sh% didn’t crater from year 1 as expected. They just might be more accurate shooters than normal.

– Hartley has the D jump in the rush far more often than what I see elsewhere. Cgy’s top four (Gio, Brodie, Wideman, Russell) were all given the green light to join in the fray. (Dear Gord, they even let Engelland jump in on occasion). In short, there is an outsized contribution to the offense coming from the blue.

– Fitness. I know this sounds unlikely, but the way teams seemed to get gassed against the Flames in the third was more than just somebody catching us on a back to back. It was routine, get outplayed in the first, even play up in the 2nd, and destroy the corgis in the third. Score effects? I mean, I guess,

– Can’t spell winning culture without ‘cult’. There was something of a fanaticism to the team last year. We half expected guys like Giordano or Johnny G to do post game pressers in safron robes, and to finish every answer with ‘So say we all’.

173. RexLibris says:

Doug McLachlan:

As will all places, it’s the people.

Calgary is a lesser city now that Cameron’s in Lethbridge.

Edmonton has my wife, kids, Ruby the dog and McDavid

I’ve never liked disparaging comments about a city other than in friendly jest.

People have chosen that as home. Calling it a dump is in poor taste.

Every place something that appeals to those people and less so to others.

Kelowna is a beautiful city but I would never choose to live there. It’s attractions do not interest me. Doesn’t mean anything is wrong with the place, just not the right fit.

Calgary is a great city and I’ve been a dozen times or more. I would never choose to live there. It just doesn’t feature the things that appeal to me.

Checked out Glasgow, Edinburgh, Stirling and a half-dozen other places overseas a few years back when I was looking at moving. Great places, but the only one that really stood out for me was Stirling at the time and those others are world-class cities.

174. bendelson says:

GCW_69: Woodguy is DSF.Have you ever seen them in a room together? Of course you haven’t.

Wins the bet, gets a bottle of whiskey.
    Loses the bet, hey hey! Another bottle of whiskey!

175. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: I used to live in Red Deer and it was epic. Fantastic feud over the years, saw games in both buildings and it was madness. Let’s get back to that!

Yeah, but I bet if we poured you a beer you’d say that Maidstone would kick Red Deer’s butt around the block and back again.

176. RexLibris says:

Connor’sreal:
    Woodguy,

Are you trying to summon someone?

177. khildahl says:

RexLibris: He’d have to say it three times in the bathroom mirror with the lights off for it to work.

Really? I thought you just had to send a goat onto a bridge.

178. Магия 10 says:

RPG:
    maudite,

Absolutely fantastic retirement letter.

“Mobile technology: Thanks for being pretty basic for most of my career”

Gold.

179. The Hermit says:

Cameron:   (Quote)  (Reply)

Our body consists of 10 trillion cells. 9 trillion of them are bacteria and other micro organisms. We are all the same teeming bag of mostly water. Please lower your Confederate battle flag.

180. book¡je says:

RexLibris,

I agree, it’s classless to say bad things about Calgary based on some petty rivalry.

It’s actually a great city with wonderful amenities and some great urban spaces.

It’s too bad that everybody who lives there are a bunch of assholes.

181. book¡je says:

I never lived in Red Deer but did get thrown out of Billy Bobs.

182. LMHF#1 says:

khildahl: I think that was the 09-10 season.Didn’t Pat Quinn criticize him after the game for not responding with a cheap shot?

Meant to add ‘though’

Was talking about how good he was that year. 23 goals, 2nd on the team in points, dominant.

The injury was the next year.

183. G Money says:

book¡je: everybody who lives there are a bunch of assholes.

Guilty.

184. Ryan says:

” A mobile defenseman who can make a headman pass and be part of the future. Who is that man? Increasingly, it looks like the answer is Brent Seabrook.”

Is it odd or slightly ironic that we have a hockey player named Victor Hedman who can headman a pass better than anyone else alive?

Wine selection tonight: La Crema Pinot noir from Sonoma county. Try it and thank me later…

185. Really? says:

Cameron,

Kind of a silly comment considering Messier was a NYR player at the time. What does that incident have to do with you saying something stupid about intentionally wanting McDavid injured. You seem to say things before you think.

186. spoiler says:

Bar_Qu:

RexLibris:
    Bar_Qu,

Re; Sharif

Agreed.

Lol… I don’t think Lawrence… can be considered part of Hollywood’s Golden Age.

Firstly it was a British story about a British man played by a British actor, directed by a Brit and produced by a British production company (albeit owned by Spiegel). So it’s not even a Hollywood movie.

Not to pick on you guys because I see Lawrence… referred to as a Hollywood movie even by media pundits who should know better, so I wonder if it gets classed as such because of the Oscars and the boffo box office?

But your comments did make me think of when the so-called “Golden Age” ended. That’s a very hard thing to say. And it’s a bit of an ironic term because it doesn’t refer to the quality of movies Hollywood was producing; in fact they were by and large mediocre, with some notable exceptions.

That was in part because the Studio System allowed the production of a lot of cheap mediocrity, and in part because of Hollywood’s blind adherence to D.W. Griffith’s notion of a filmed play. Preferably at shoulder height lol.

The Studio System was brought down by Anti-trust rulings in the courts, beginning in 1948. By 1954, the last vestiges of the system were all but gone and movie-making in Hollywood was forever changed.

The best year for movie attendance was 1946 IIRC and it dropped quickly thereafter.

Now some historians use 1963 as the date for the end of the Golden Age, perhaps because this was the year Cleopatra came out. When it earned less than it cost, despite being the biggest box office hit of the season, Hollywood went into a kind of hiding. Or chickenshit mode. But the very fact Cleo got made was a sign that Hollywood Classicism was already dead, and studios were searching for something different, issuing retreads like Cleo in the meantime. (This wouldn’t really change till Star Wars came along in 1977, if you can believe it. And we’re seeing something similar happening today with reboots and remakes.)

The growth of noir, plus pretty much everything Welles was doing, and foreign influences like Eisenstein and the French New Wave were having an impact on the conventions of Hollywood classicism. When you consider The Maltese Falcon and Citizen Kane came out in 1941, 1963 seems a pretty late date.

And then we have Brando revolutionizing acting in Streetcar… turning that part of the film world on its head in 1951.

By the time Sharif was starring in big Hollywood productions (1966 and on), the Golden Age was certainly gone, with films like 1963’s Cleopatra merely representing the post-mortem spasms of an already dead body.

Is Lawrence… also one of those death spasms? Lean is not my favorite director–although this is by far my favorite film of his–but he did adapt with the times. Lawrence is a monument to cinematic story-telling… not just the visuals, but there are little things like the wind in the tent that are exceptional too. The anthropomorphic train wreck. Compare Lawrence to Lean’s far earlier but also highly-praised Brief Encounter in terms of framing and sets and dialogue and even ambiguity (BE removes some of the ambiguity from Coward’s original play), and it seems a world apart from Lawrence on a film-making level.

*****

As for “Matinee Idols” this somewhat pejorative term referred to those actors who were famous for their looks and not their ability, usually finding themselves in the low budget vehicles reserved for afternoon matinees.

I think Rock Hudson probably qualifies; he wasn’t much of an actor and made it primarily on his looks. I mean if it was Sunday night and you had to choose between McLoud, Columbo and McMillan and Wife, you were probably choosing one of the first two despite missing out on Susan St James.

Sharif, despite his good looks and his overt machismo, could actually act.

RIP Omar. You probably had the best debut in Western cinema a man could possibly have… a hallucinatory speck on a mirage-like desert horizon, slowly growing in size and clarity until we find out that indeed, it was your well. What a first scene.