REAR WINDOW

The signing of Justin Schultz today means two things to the Edmonton Oilers: The roster is pretty much signed (Brandon Davidson and Tyler Pitlick’s contracts to come) and the buyout window has been engaged so a big decision (either way) is ahead. I think Peter Chiarelli got a little unlucky here, ideally you would see Christian Ehrhoff and Cody Franson signed and possibly a market open for a reduced Niki Nikitin. I think the Oilers hope there’s a market and maybe there is—defensemen are in short supply in today’s NHL, unless you like country music—but the Oilers clearly can’t advance on free agents without a buyout.

I’m not certain they use the second window.

OILERS PROJECTED OPENING NIGHT ROSTER 2015-16

opening night projection 2015-16This isn’t my roster, I’d have Nurse and Reinhart on the team, Nikitin and Pitlick would be on the farm. Why? The 14th F on this team isn’t going to be playing much and the team should have enough depth in the AHL for a quality recall (at least as good as Pitlick represents on this depth chart). Finally, defense is absolutely the weak link on the roster and I think Todd McLellan may run eight defensemen all year. Anyway, this is the roster without the buyout. I think there are two reasons to expect we’ll see PC buy out someone in the window:

• Christian Ehrhoff
  • The possibility of an early fall trade by a cap strapped team like Chicago or Boston a year ago (Leddy and Boychuk last year)

If we see a buy out and no Ehrhoff signing? Or we see a buyout, no free agent and no deal before the season? Chances are that cash will come in handy during the season. Peter Chiarelli now must gauge the signability of Ehrhoff, the desperation of the ‘Hawks re: Seabrook and then proceed accordingly. At this point, I think there’s a very good chance Edmonton buys out no one.

CONDORS PROJECTED OPENING NIGHT ROSTER 2015-16

CONDORSThere’s more than 23 men on this list but AHL rosters can expand and the extra’s will be in the ECHL. I count five players on this list who are worthy of consideration for opening night NHL employment (Nurse, Reinhart, Draisaitl, Pakarinen, Miller). I count another 5 who may see NHL time this season even without injuries (Slepyshev, Yakimov, Chase, Davidson, Nilsson) and that’s where we begin to see the grey area where trades can happen.

Example: Let’s say Teddy Purcell is flourishing in the NHL and Andrew Miller is going the same in Bakersfield. Chiarelli will be aggressive during the year with the UFA’s (Nikitin, Klinkhammer, Nikitin, Scrivens, possibly Gryba) and may be willing to take useful players with an extra year on their deals.

The AHL teams best players, for a long time now, have been guys like Matt Ford (who has been re-signed to an AHL deal by the Condors, they also signed Nick Pageau) and other AHL vets. Seems to me there are more skill forwards on this team going into the year and perhaps we’ll see significant movement between the two teams for reasons beyond injury.

OUTSIDE PRO HOCKEY

outside proI don’t ordinarily post this but wanted to show you how little of this team’s prospect bank is in junior, college and Europe. I think it suggests the club will be active in signing free agents in college and those graduating junior hockey after the inevitable three-for-one.

159 Responses to "REAR WINDOW"

1. Younger Oil says:

I think one thing not said about Schultz and Yakupov enough is that they are in the exact same boat as Gagner was a few years ago: They’ve had one year of experience three times. McLellan will be their fourth coach in as many seasons.

Some stability could mean wonders for their development.

2. mujidog says:

If only Sweeney wasn’t a dick and traded Dougie Hamilton to the Oilers… we could’ve had our mythical 3-for-1 there…

3. supernova says:

Oilers are finally in need of draft picks to keep the system stocked.

That 2014 draft still boggles my mind.

4. Spoils says:

that bottom 9 is a bit soft. unless Yak steps up and Purcell is moved to the third line. he shouldn’t be top 6 IMO. also Schultz as a top pairing DMan is just not good enough.

we need to make a deal to get a #1D. That Dougie Hamilton trade is looking more and more like a tough miss. When they asked for Nurse why not suggest our top pick in 2016 instead. I would have done that all day long.

anyway – this team needs a #1D under 26 norris prospect. i know many people think it is an impossible trade, but it can be done… and we need to do it.

start the conversation like this “McDavid for Victor Hedman. OK so you would do that deal. Now let’s get real… How about our top 2 picks in 2016, and Yakupov?… no, OK how about…

no Dynasty without D

5. hunter1909 says:

Spoils: unless Yak steps up

6. Pajamah says:

supernova:
    Oilers are finally in need of draft picks to keep the system stocked.

That 2014 draft still boggles my mind.

My obvious hope is that Talbot is a 0.928 or better, I’d be happy if he is league average though, and that Reinhart pushes his way on to the team this season.

Even so, 2 years without tangible prospects sucks. McDavid will always make the 2015 draft a success, but with nothing following him, the Oilers will have empty cupboards when they need to trade their Byfuglien, Ladd, Bolland, Saad, Sharp etc.

Scares me.

7. hunter1909 says:

Spoils: That Dougie Hamilton trade is looking more and more like a tough miss.

My Bruins pals don’t think so. They seem to think he’s not realized his potential anywhere near close enough to be getting that contract.

8. Younger Oil says:

Erhoff for Nikitin

Fehr for Purcell

And we will be very near playoffs.

9. Moose says:

My BOLD prediction for 2015-16: Tyler Pitlick plays 70 games and scores 10 goals.

I know…I know…

I thought when played last year he looked like a bonafide NHL player. Popped a couple goals, the skating is there, he’s good on the walls, and he didn’t look out of place when he got a cameo on the skill lines.

Klinkhamner and Purcell will likely be moved at some point during season. Hope the kid grabs the opportunity. Just needs his body to stop failing him.

10. slopitch says:

Younger Oil:

Some stability could mean wonders for their development.

If I had the choice of Ehrhoff or waiting for the trade, I think I’d wait. Depends on the number I guess.

11. bendelson says:

hunter1909: If Yakupov isn’t playing in the top six I hope they trade him. What an appalling waste.

I understand this sentiment completely.
    Unfortunately, they will be trading him for peanuts,
    which will make it all the more disappointing/ridiculous.

12. Vince says:

Has anyone ever posted something about the level of ES scoring needed to justifiably say a team has the mythical “3 scoring lines” ?

If you take the total ES production of an average 1 st line, what percentage of that would the 3rd line have to post (with the 2nd line in between) to call it a 3rd scoring line?

How many goals would the team/forwards score ? how would that compare against say last season?

13. Yak2 says:

I’d rather stick Nikitin in than have Nurse and Reinhart there just because I don’t think they’re ready, not for at least half a season. Let them play 35-50 games in the AHL with the occasional recall. Plus, I think Nikitin will come in shape and be better this year.

14. Rake 2.0 says:

Shultz told Bob Stauffer that he wants to play with an edge like Los Angeles Kings defenceman Drew Doughty.

If there’s a guy to model your game after, doughty would be it.

15. Ryan says:

slopitch: Yak and Gagner are actually quite similar – offensive players who, for the most part, can’t defend. Yak is a winger though. He’s also in his key development years on the right side of the rebuild. He should be able to play 3rd line with better coaches and linemates. We’ll see.

Rake 2.0:

If there’s a guy to model your game after, doughty would be it.

This isn’t possible.

17. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: This isn’t possible.

Yeah, I was going to say I’d like to play NBA like Kareem Abdul Jabar.

Pretty sure the window is closed on that one…if it was ever open.

18. Ryan says:

Lowetide: This isn’t possible.

I thought it was his interview with Gregor… It sounded more like he looked up to Drew Doughty as a player. I didn’t catch much more than that..

19. RexLibris says:

Ryan: The other difference between Gagner and Yakupov is that Gagner could at least produce offense.

Honestly people.

The biggest difference between these two players is that, amazingly, fewer people misspell Yakupov’s name than Gagner.

20. Kitchener says:

Six months ago we were here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OXg2U32RUU

Remember? Seems like a long time ago.

21. Ryan says:

RexLibris: Honestly people.

I thought we were talking about Yakapov and Gagne.

Ryan: I thought it was his interview with Gregor…It sounded more like he looked up to Drew Doughty as a player.I didn’t catch much more than that..

23. Frank the dog says:

Hey LT can you or anyone else here confirm your IP address? My malwarebytes software shows you as 184.168.47.225 and is blocking it as a malicious website hosted by go-daddy-com-LLC
    Now we all know go daddy, so I’m wondering I I was redirected to a non-Lowetide site – in which case you may be on a different IP address – or alternately if this was malicious bit has been cleaned by go daddy.
    Thanks in advance!

24. Ryan says:

Frank the dog,

Many websites are on shared hosting. This means that they all also share the same IP address. One bad apple spoils the bunch as they say…

25. Snowman says:

What has Yak done to earn top 6 minutes on this team?

He gets his teeth kicked in by high comp. I love Yak but he’s got to earn top 6 minutes. You don’t get them based on draft number or effort. You get top 6 minutes based on results and he hasn’t produced any for the past two years.

I would love for Yak to score 35 goals a year for a decade but he just hasn’t played well enough defensively or scored enough offensively to offset his defensive lapses to warrant those minutes. And since there isn’t a vet NHL center that can babysit him I especially don’t like him in the top 6 as he is now.

He’s not a better NHL player than Purcell at this point. He’s just not. More upside? Absolutely. But if you’re going on merit he’s on the third line and second powerplay time.

26. Mr DeBakey says:

I think Peter Chianti did a helluva job getting a D-man who plays Top-4 minutes for under $4 million per.
    Reediness be damned!

***

Today’s hypothetical line-ups are much less appealing than those Lowetide posted at the week-end.

27. square_wheels says:

TSN playing the WJ gold medal game…..anyone else enjoy that breakaway goal at 15min mark of 2nd ?

Not too many NHL players could catch CMD if he has that kind of open ice.

28. Bag of Pucks says:

Shame that the Roadrunners failed here. I’d pay decent money to watch that Condors lineup.

29. Bag of Pucks says:

Ryan:
    Frank the dog,

Many websites are on shared hosting.This means that they all also share the same IP address.One bad apple spoils the bunch as they say…

30. slopitch says:

Yak in year 1-3 is 0.45 ppg, Gagner 0.58. I can’t say your wrong but I think Yak will slide nicely into Gagners 40-50 pt range this year. I cheered for Gagner like I cheer for Yak. Routing for them both to succeed. McJesus practicing with Yak all year with a world class coach will save him. There’s a revival going through this town.

31. Ryan says:

Lowetide: Ah. Well, I’ve been far too unkind about him so will only say that he’s more Ian Turnbull than Jim Dorey.

Wow… I’m forty so thanks for making me feel so young. 🙂

32. Melman says:

“I don’t ordinarily post this but wanted to show you how little of this team’s prospect bank is in junior, college and Europe.” I take your point, can we call this progress in that the dearth is outside the pro leagues rather than at the NHL & AHL level? With the UFA options on the team it’s very likely PC can pick up extra picks at the deadline.

If they aren’t going to use the buyout, then why would they have elected arbitration? For the sole purpose of having JS sign a 1 year deal?

33. Bag of Pucks says:

Snowman: What has Yak done to earn top 6 minutes on this team?

Hall is the only one that ‘earned’ them from the start by pushing the river.

34. Bag of Pucks says:

Rake 2.0:

If there’s a guy to model your game after, doughty would be it.

Honestly, this confirms how out of touch with reality this player is.

He’s closer to Drew Barrymore than Drew Doughty at this point.

Btw, if I forgot to mention it, I’d like to play guitar with an edge, like Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Can someone hook a brutha up?

35. Ducey says:

mujidog:

It happened already. Talbot for 3 picks…

36. fifthcartel says:

The funny thing is Doughty and Schultz are from the same draft year. He’s not really young at all, and I’m very skeptical he’s any more than what he is now (bottom pairing, power play guy).

37. slambanna says:

Frank the dog,

Ryan,

I can confirm the same IP address. I haven’t used the tracert command in years… good times.

I concur with Ryan’s response.

Rewatching the junior game. Mcdavid looks good (coming off his injury), but I’m drooling over Nurse.

Paigin looks like he could be a steal.

38. PaperDesigner says:

Ducey: It happened already. Talbot for 3 picks…

Three for to. The Rangers sent back their seventh round pick.

It says page ok, so I’m assuming it’s okay?

40. The Hermit says:

Maybe Justin has seen through some of his self delusions.

He is putting in gym work.

If he puts in an honest effort to watch video of Doughty and works with his coaches he has the ability to improve, the question is how much.

I was as frustrated as anyone watching Schultz play defense during his Oiler career.

Looking forward to see how McLellan and crew use him this year.

41. Frank the dog says:

Bag of Pucks: And if it was me, I wouldn’t release my server ip to the general public. Site security issue.

42. Pouzar says:

Bag of Pucks: Hall is the only one that ‘earned’ them from the start by pushing the river.

The 5 year WOWY for Eberle/Hall is virtually identical.

Eberle/Hall together: 50.3
    Eberle apart: 47.0
    Hall apart: 47.2

43. Bag of Pucks says:

Pouzar: The 5 year WOWY for Eberle/Hall is virtually identical.

I think the greater point is Yak at times is treated like the redheaded step child. Combine that with the language barrier and not being part of the cool kids clique and I don’t think he’s enjoyed the same advantages on the pro development side of the ledger.

44. Bag of Pucks says:

Frank the dog: The IP address I mentioned was the one blocked by Malwarebytes. LT had to know so he could deal with it on his end. Site’s working now so now I’m going to test whether it was fixed or whether my workaround on an isolated system is doing the job instead.

45. Ford Prefect says:

Long time lurker. Really enjoy this community and the many hours of escape it provides me. I finally have something to contribute even though it has nothing to do with hockey.

I noticed this message from FRANK THE DOG about blocking your IP address.

Frank the dog:
    Thanks in advance!

I actually have a client website on the same shared ip address and was investigating this exact issue. I have informed the hosting company(Media Temple) of the issue and provided them with the offending website. The hosting company has escalated the request to the correct support team to get the ip address removed from the blacklist.

Bag of Pucks: You’re right. A more accurate statement is Hall was gifted Top 6 mins at the beginning too.

47. Ford Prefect says:

Bag of Pucks: Not questioning your motives just the wisdom of sharing the server ip info globally. Not that hackers need much help these days.

48. SkatinginSand says:

Bag of Pucks: What did Eberle and the Nuge do to earn Top 6 mins at the beginning other than being gifted them?

Hall is the only one that ‘earned’ them from the start by pushing the river.

I would suggest that you check out:

You will find that Corsi wise, Hall gets his teeth kicked in when facing tough competition. It is absolutely ugly and has not gotten better over his five years in the league.

You will also discover that, if you check WOWYs, Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins are just as effective without Hall as they are with him.

How is this pushing the river?

49. Bag of Pucks says:

Ford Prefect: IP addresses are public and can be easily looked up for every website. I have a chrome browser extension that displays the ip address for every website I visit.

Most enterprise hosting environments used dynamic ips

I don’t care about this enough to get in a debate about it. To each his own. Just flagging up that this info can be exploited if a person is so inclined.

50. thehop says:

Lt,

Do you think this new contract makes Schultz easier to move (one third of the mythical 341)?

Also just started the Erlinmeyer Flask episode. The X Files were under appreciated for its time. What a show!

51. Bag of Pucks says:

SkatinginSand: I would suggest that you check out:

You will also discover that, if you check WOWYs, Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins are justas effective without Hall as they are with him.

How is this pushingthe river?

Hence why I modified the statement in the reply to Pouzar.

I was taking LTs “Hall pushed the river from day 1” as gospel and was surprised to see the early Corsi and Fenwick #s myself upon running them on waronice just now.

52. Bag of Pucks says:

Lowetide: The problem for Yakupov is many fold. I think he lost confidence but he’s also bleeding chances and it’s across seasons and teammates. That’s a major concern and something that has to impact his future. Schultz and Yakupov can’t rely on a patient coach because McLellan was brought here to win games. That said, both have talent and one assumes considerable effort will be made on their behalf to get them headed in the right direction.

It begs the question why is Yak the outlier? One possible explanation is the language and cultural obstacles the player has to overcome.

It’s quite possible the problems all lie in Yak not possessing any puck sense. The other possibility exists as well that the Oilers as an org are failing him as a teacher.

53. oliveoilers says:

Poor Jultz can’t even aspire to be better, according to some of you. What was he supposed to say? When I grow up, I want to be Cody Franson?

thehop:
    Lt,

55. Richard S.S. says:

Lowetide might worry a wee bit too much. We can change what we can, but what we can’t change, we survive.

The next five days should tell us most of everything we need to know about the balance of the offseason. Of course Chiarelli could always surprise us. I don’t think we get bored this offseason.

Bag of Pucks: The interesting thing about Yak for me was seeing the radical difference that a communicative C (Roy) made in his game.

57. Bag of Pucks says:

oliveoilers:
    Poor Jultz can’t even aspire to be better, according to some of you. What was he supposed to say? When I growup, I want to be Cody Franson?

Setting realistic goals is the key to achieving them imo.

58. Bag of Pucks says:

Lowetide: If they had simply given him a responsible C for an entire year (82GP) he’d be farther along. You can’t screw with prospects and not have it bite you in the ass.

I often wonder if his centre ice celly potentially turned off a number of his teammates?

In my experience, that type of me first behaviour (even if there is no guile in it as there clearly wasn’t in Nail’s case) doesn’t go over well in the locker room.

I mention the Tikkanen comparison again. That team was so close knit, they found a way to welcome oddballs into the fold for the sake of the team. I think that may be what’s needed here. I want to see Yak’s teammates talking to him way more on the ice and on the bench.

59. thehop says:

Lowetide: I think Schultz is $3.9M and talented enough to be attractive to an NHL team. My suspicion is Chiarelli will have to give up something else.

So is Schultz at 3.9, Yak at 2.5 and a pick next year get us Seabrook and an extension? If that 341 happens, what is our cap situation? Or is that an over pay?

Ford : Thanks!

61. Frank the dog says:

So LT, in response to your question, I can only get on your site by using a PC that isn’t running my anti malware packages, or by excluding your present shared IP address from my browser.
    May I suggest that you ask Mr Google about this IP address, you’ll see for yourself.

62. jake70 says:

Bag of Pucks: Agreed. Eakins putting him in the press box is another example. No one else of the core got publicly embarrassed like that.

Belanger is still trying to catch him up ice! LOL

63. Bag of Pucks says:

jake70: Belanger is still trying to catch him up ice!LOL

Fuck Belanger. Dude drove a Panamera. What self respecting man drives a 4 door Porsche?

thehop: So is Schultz at 3.9, Yak at 2.5 and a pick next year get us Seabrook and an extension? If that 341 happens, what is our cap situation?

I think it would be more like Schultz plus a prospect and a pick. The team trading away big cap $ will want big cap relief.

65. Snowman says:

Bag of Pucks,

It’s pretty irrelevant to if they gifted top 6 minutes to the other kids. The point is you shouldn’t gift top 6 minutes to players who aren’t ready for them. The Oilers got lucky in the Nuge, Eberle and Hall have been able to handle it with varying degrees of success.

Yak hasn’t been able to handle the minutes he’s gotten these past two years. You can’t give him tougher minutes and expect him to excel when he’s not excelling in the easier minutes he gets. It doesn’t even make sense from a logical standpoint.

Give him a steady, quality center for a season, hope he straightens out and then you can start to move him up.

Repeating the mistakes of the past doesn’t make them better decisions today than they were yesterday. Players have to earn top 6 minutes on a good team. I hope the Oilers become a good team. Yak has to earn his minutes. I don’t care if Hall, Nuge and Ebs got top 6 minutes out of the gate. It doesn’t matter.

What matters is what’s best for trying to develop Yak. Tougher minutes isn’t the answer in my opinion regardless of Yak’s draft number or the fact that he’s so very easy to cheer for. Make the right choice for the player now and it will be a good choice in the long run.

66. thehop says:

Bonehead question to conclude my evening on the best blog in the world. How does a guy add a photo to his name. I hate looking like a gray square.

67. GCW_69 says:

I have been following how teams deploy their cap space for a while now. Last year I took a look at the opening night rosters and lines for 8 consistent “contenders” like LA, Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, etc. because opening night, barring injury, probably best reflects a team’s budget allocation.

Based on that, the average top 4 defenders for the study group was 22% of the cap, and the top six defenders were 27.2%. On a $71.4M cap, that’s about $15.9M for the top four.

Should the Oilers sign Franson for $4.75M and buy out Ference with a cap this this year of ~$600K, the Oilers top four would cost

Sekera ($5.5) + Fayne ($3.7)
    Klefbom ($0.9M) + Franson ($4.75M) plus Ference buyout ($0.60)

This top 4 would cost $15.5M including the buyout cost this year.

Add Nikitin $4.5M and Gryba at $1.3M and the total defence cost is $21.2M against a target of $19.4M, so a little high but well within the range which was $16.1M to 22.1M.

Replace Nikitin and Gryba with Nurse and Reinhart next year and even with a Klefbom raise, the total defence cost is within the range.

Can’t pay more than $4.75M for Franson though unless its a short term deal. $4.5M would be ideal.

68. Woogie63 says:

Hall-McDavid-Purcell

Please

Gives McDavid two good veterans, AND when Purcell has a career 60 games we trade him for another first round draft pick.

McDavid is covered as he learns the league and we re stock the cupboard.

Now can we get that probe closer to Pulto?

69. Bag of Pucks says:

Snowman:
    Bag of Pucks,

Absolutely the buck should stop on this kind of behaviour. Totally agree.

Just sucks if you’re Yak and the buck’s stopping with you, particularly when it never really got started with him. Krueger and Nelson had a clue on how to leverage his skillset but Sgt Eakins decided to make him an example.

All the kids give up more than they get at the beginning. McDavid likely will too though I think his speed will enable him to recover from defensive mistakes better than most.

All that said, if there’s a Stamkos inside Yak waiting to be unleashed, you don’t pair that with Anton Lander. You have to give that a try with Nuge or McDavid.

70. Dashingsilverfox says:

SkatinginSand: I would suggest that you check out:

How is this pushingthe river?

Hall has never “pushed the river” as the narrative would have you believe.

He’s Phil Kessel Lite.

71. Bag of Pucks says:

Why not this?

Hall – McDavid – Yakupov

And you tell Yak, Hall and McDavid drive the zone hard and you’re the late trailer looking for the pass.

When the puck turns over, you’re the first man to haul ass back and you pick up the nearest F.
    With Connor and Taylor’s wheels, they’ll be close behind.

We think Nail will drown against the tough opps. Maybe with the right system and linemates, you can mitigate against some of his deficiencies and play to his strengths.

If the game’s too complex, dumb it down for him.

72. Bag of Pucks says:

Dashingsilverfox: Hall has never “pushed the river” as the narrative would have you believe.

He’s Phil Kessel Lite.

Worst beer ever.

73. thehop says:

He’s Phil Kessel Lite.

The definition of incendiary……..and delusional.

74. Dashingsilverfox says:

Bag of Pucks: Worst beer ever.

Yeah…it’s kind of yeasty and full of self importance.

75. Ben says:

He’s Phil Kessel Lite.

76. Connor'sreal says:

Frank the dog: The IP is a blacklisted

Question for you FtD:

If several sites are sharing an IP address, then at some point the traffic to them has to be distinguished as destined to Lowetide or the malware site.

So is this done at a switch somewhere, which then assings a VLAN tag or uses a unique port or something, so that my stoopid comments don’t go to the malware site?

I got the same warning, but dismissed it because I just switched to Firefox and thought it was a false alarm. I have a pretty good AVG package that hasn’t warned me about the malware possibility.

77. thehop says:

I suspect if that’s the case, Chiarelli might send Yak, a prospect and pick and I believe that’s a trade that makes the Oilers a better team. I also think buying out Nikitin is a pre requisite to this trade.

GCW_69:
    I have been following how teams deploy their cap space for a while now.Last year I took a look at the opening night rosters and lines for 8 consistent “contenders” like LA, Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, etc. because opening night, barring injury, probably best reflects a team’s budget allocation.

Based on that, the average top 4 defenders for the study group was 22% of the cap, and the top six defenders were 27.2%.On a $71.4M cap, that’s about $15.9M for the top four.

Sekera ($5.5) + Fayne ($3.7)
    Klefbom ($0.9M) + Franson ($4.75M) plus Ference buyout ($0.60)

This top 4 would cost $15.5M including the buyout cost this year.

Can’t pay more than $4.75M for Franson though unless its a short term deal.$4.5M would be ideal.

79. SkatinginSand says:

He’s Phil Kessel Lite.

Although visually, he was better at the World Championships. I always imagine a one way conversation where MacLellan says, “I am going to play you with Crosby. This is a huge opportunity for you, but the first time you try to carry the puck through the neutral zone, I am going to Lindy Ruff you.”

This kind of relationship might work.

80. Frank the dog says:

Connor’sreal: Question for you FtD:

I’ve come to the conclusion that this either was associated with a site that was blacklisted and then taken down, or that the site that shares this IP address is the bad boy. Either way all I did was put this domain on my exclusion list (excluded from blocking, i.e. trusted) and off we go.
    Anti malware can be too sensitive too, and I’m sure there’s lots out there, but this one – Malwarebytes.org – has proved robust and just sensitive enough.
    I popped off a communication to godaddy so now its their problem. Were I LT I’d ask for a different IP though. This has to impact his traffic, as everyone who runs malware that picks this up wont be visiting any time soon.

SkatinginSand: I would suggest that you check out:

How is this pushingthe river?

I don’t see any possession stats at that site.

Can you link directly to the page?

82. SkatinginSand says:

Ben: See, it’s not because you post ridiculous things that people get annoyed, it’s that you do it with such a clear and express purpose of annoying people.

Compare statistically, and then come back and show everyone how superior Hall is to Kessel.

83. Dashingsilverfox says:

SkatinginSand: Although visually, hewas better at the World Championships.I always imagine a one way conversation where MacLellan says, “I amgoing to play you with Crosby. This is a huge opportunity for you, but the first time you try to carry the puck through the neutral zone, I am going to Lindy Ruff you.”

This kind of relationship might work.

Yep. There’s still time.

Just looking at unblocked shot attempts for last season.

Taylor Hall:

For: 523

Against : 582

The previous season:

For: 725

Against: 906

Those are seasons 4 and 5 for Hall.

No river being pushed there at all.

Just by way of comparison since the Taylor vs. Tyler debate is still raging….

Seguin last season:

For: 824

Against: 713

The previous season…

For: 913

Against: 804

THAT is pushing the river.

84. JDi™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Frank the dog,

Thanks. I never imagined that sites would share IPs, but it makes sense because until IP6 is fully implemented, we’re a few octets shy of being able to have every site unique.

And that’s the thing about malware, is that you won’t know you have it without some kind of application.

85. SkatinginSand says:

Woodguy,

Sorry originally posted wrong link. The correct one is:

86. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Where’s the pic of the big creep you usually tether to this reference?

————-
    It’s Summer.

Put on some Brazilian pop and cool out.

87. JDi™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

thehop,

Not boneheaded at all.

go to gravatar.com

make a new account, that uses the same email address that you used to sign up here.

follow their instruction on making an avatar, and set it for your email address.

the rest is spooky action at a distance.

88. Bag of Pucks says:

Damn this site and it’s addictive qualities.

Wife’s out on a girls night. Perfect chance for me to finally watch one of the guy flicks I’ve got bookmarked on Netflix and I end up yakking about Yak for two hours.

LT, you magnificent bastard. You are the Oilogosphere opium den.

89. Ford Prefect says:

Bag of Pucks: Most enterprise hosting environments used dynamic ips

I believe you are referring to internet providers. Not the same thing.

90. Alsker says:

Bag of Pucks: Honestly, this confirms how out of touch with reality this player is.

He’s closer to Drew Barrymore than Drew Doughty at this point.

Can someone hook a brutha up?

Dont forget that Barrymore had the balls to flash Letterman on national TV..doubt Jultzy got that type of nerve in his repertoire…

91. Ford Prefect says:

Frank the dog: Not everybody runs as tight a ship as I do. The IP is a blacklisted site known for hosting malware, so seeing not everyone on this blog is an IT person I’m in fact trying to help LT. Moreso that anyone else running my level of security will not be able to access his site.

Correct. If Media Temple does not have this issue solved in the next 24 hours I am going to have them move my client’s website to a new ip address so security conscious surfers like yourself can still access it.

Edit: grammar.

92. russ99 says:

McLellan will make a world of difference.

We’ll have a solid defensive system, assistants that explain things to players in a way they can grasp it, accountability if they make mistakes, and hopefully a goalie that doesn’t kill everyone’s confidence giving up softies.

I expect these guys to play vastly better as a team and much more as a 5-man unit than in years past.

93. PDO says:

Yakupov is 21 years old.

Repeat that 15 times over before writing the kid off.

I think he’s going to make a lot of people look pretty stupid when he’s scoring 35 goals a year.

Don’t trade away that shot because he’s been put into a situation to fail by Eakins for 120 some odd games. He’s looked very promising otherwise.

94. Rondo says:

Will Edmonton make the playoffs?

Chicago

MTL
    Wash
    NYI
    Columbus

95. Rake 2.0 says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Fenwick and Corsi are team statistics. The Stars were a good possession team and the oilers were not.

Taylor Hall was among the top three possession players on the oilers the 2 years prior to Eakins. I would not be surprised if he returned to that level under McLellan.

96. Dashingsilverfox says:

PDO:
    Yakupov is 21 years old.

Repeat that 15 times over before writing the kid off.

Don’t trade away that shot because he’s been put into a situation to fail by Eakins for 120 some odd games.He’s looked very promising otherwise.

In his rookie season at the age of 20, Alex Ovechkin generated 425 SOG.

In 2 1/2 seasons Yakupov has generated 394.

If his established shooting percentage is his career average of 10.7%, it’s more than likely he’ll score about 15 goals per season unless touched by the hand of God.

As an aside, only 9 players scored 35 goals last season.

97. striker says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Cool story bro!

98. Walter Gretzkys Neighbour says:

JDi™ David O’Connor’s Reel:
    thehop,

Not boneheaded at all.

go to gravatar.com

the rest is spooky action at a distance.

Thanks!

99. Dashingsilverfox says:

Rake 2.0:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Fenwick andCorsi are team statistics. The Stars were a good possession team and the oilers were not.

Being a top possession player on the Oilers is meaningless.

Seguin has been the best possession player on two teams, including the Bruins….better than Patrice Bergeron in 2012/13

And Dallas was NOT a good possession team…they were slightly above average last season with FF% at 52.3

The previous season they were at 50.1%.

And in 2012/13 they are pretty bad at 47.12%

You could make a pretty strong argument that it is Seguin who is pushing those numbers upward.

100. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

By a quick glance, Ovenchicken has scored an average of 47.5 goals per season.

Why is Yak being compared with a generational sniper again?

Damn, that’s good chicken!

JD¡™ David O’Connor’s Reel:
    By a quick glance, Ovenchicken has scored an average of 47.5 goals per season.

Why is Yak being compared with a generational sniper again?

Damn, that’s good chicken!

Nail Yakupov has 10 fingers and toes, as does Ovechkin. Comps!

102. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Walter Gretzkys Neighbour: Thanks!

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry at that avatar!

103. PDO says:

Dashingsilverfox: In his rookie season at the age of 20, Alex Ovechkin generated 425 SOG.

In2 1/2 seasons Yakupov has generated 394.

As an aside, only 9 players scored 35 goals last season.

Yes, he’s not the best goal scorer in the nhl and likely never will be.

That’s a very reasonable comparison you used.

Christ.

As a reference in 3 seasons and at the same age Tyler Seguin had 533 shots.

104. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Lowetide: 10 fingers and toes

Did TMZ run a piece about OV being a polydactyl?

Hmmm, maybe that was dyphallia…

105. PDO says:

I think I figured out why DSF is always so angry…. he never scored a goal in his life because the goal posts were constantly moving in his world.

106. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Bag of Pucks: guy flicks I’ve got bookmarked on Netflix

Quck – give me a recommendation so that I can further destroy my shaw data cap!

107. TheOtherJohn says:

russ99,

I believe this. After CMD that will be single biggest difference this year. Top notch coaches that will INSIST on buy in. …….Well other than Midget AAA goaltending in the NHL

108. TheOtherJohn says:

Rondo,

109. Dashingsilverfox says:

Lowetide: Nail Yakupov has 10 fingers and toes, as does Ovechkin. Comps!

And they’re both Russian #1 overall picks!

But one of them is not like the other!

One can shoot and score and the other one can’t.!

Comps!

Dashingsilverfox: And they’re both Russian #1 overall picks!

But one of them is not like the other!

One can shoot and score and the other one can’t.!

Comps!

111. PDO says:

Patches had 6 goals total over 100 games or so when he was 21.

Pavelski had zero shot attempts at 21 because he had never played a game in the nhl.

In fact, Yak has more shots at 21 than Pavelski, Benn and Patches combined!!!!

Maybe comparing him to Ovechkin was the right move, that’s clearly a generational talent.

PDO:
    Patches had 6 goals total over 100 games or so when he was 21.

In fact, Yak has more shots at 21 than Pavelski, Benn and Patches combined!!!!

Next: Yak is no Jesus!

113. Dashingsilverfox says:

PDO: Yes, he’s not the best goal scorer in the nhl and likely never will be.

That’s a very reasonable comparison you used.

Christ.

As a reference in 3 seasons and at the same age Tyler Seguin had 533 shots.

So, you’re saying that Seguin, despite being buried on the Bruins 3rd line early in his career has outshot Yak by 534-394?

An extra 140 shots isn’t insignificant.

In his 4th season, Seguin generated 3.68 SH/G

Let’s see how Yak does. 🙂

114. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

PDO,

Someone here suggested that Yak will score 35 one day, which is 3 more than OV scored in 12/13 – the 48 game season!

And now for something completly different: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6nI1v7mwwA

115. Dashingsilverfox says:

Lowetide: DSF, do me a favor and find anyone, before tonight, that compared the two. Congratulations!

Some guy is sure that Yak will be a 35 goal scorer when there is zero evidence he will ever come close to that figure.

Doesn’t matter who you compare him to.

116. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Lowetide: Jesus

Alou?

117. striker says:

Dashingsilverfox: In his 4th season

4th season a good arbitrary benchmark. I think Larry David really hit his stride in the 4th season, Bubble boy, junior mint, the contest, etc.

118. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

striker,

South Park’s fourth season included ‘Cartman Joins Nambla’.

May the fourth be with you.

119. Bag of Pucks says:

JD¡™ David O’Connor’s Reel: Quck – give me a recommendation so that I can further destroy my shaw data cap!

Nightcrawler is a great flick and I hated Gyllenhall going in.

Btw, does Shaw charge for data if you run it outside your box? I run Netflix off my bluray and never get charged for data usage.

120. SkatinginSand says:

Rake 2.0:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Why, in the last two years, are Eberle’s and Nugent-Hopkins Corsi virtually identical whether or not they are with Hall?

The obvious answer is that Hall, while a good finisher, does not drive possession.

121. Snowman says:

Bag of Pucks,

I think you’re partly selling Lander short. Lander played very well with Hall and he played top line for Sweden at the worlds and he did pretty damn well. Otherwise agree totally. It sucks for Yak but its the way it should be.

122. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Bag of Pucks: Nightcrawler is a great flick and I hated Gyllenhall going in.

aaaaaaand that comes in just under the wire…

I need out before we start comparing Habitat for Humanity to ISIS.

Thanks!

123. Dashingsilverfox says:

PDO:
    Patches had 6 goals total over 100 games or so when he was 21.

In fact, Yak has more shots at 21 than Pavelski, Benn and Patches combined!!!!

Jamie Benn…a 5th round pick…scored 22 goals and 42 points as a 20 year old.

He scored 70 goals in his first 3 seasons.

Yakupov has scored 43 despite a ridiculous 22% shooting percentage as a rookie.

Benn accomplished more in his rookie season than Yakupov ever has,

124. Dashingsilverfox says:

striker: 4th season a good arbitrary benchmark.I think Larry David really hit his stride in the 4th season, Bubble boy, junior mint, the contest, etc.

In what season are you willing to make an assessment?

10?

20?

125. Snowman says:

Dashingsilverfox,

I don’t suppose Seguins numbers might be boosted by the “world’s best” hockey player Jamie Benn?

126. Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker) says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Think that is balanced out by the atrocious last two years. But to each their own twisted version of events.

127. Bag of Pucks says:

JD¡™ David O’Connor’s Reel:
    Bag of Pucks,

Is that US, UK, or Canada Netflix? I can do any of them, but don’t want to waste time searching. I can assume Canada, but this being the inter-tubes and all…

Think it’s on both Canada and U.S. I flip flop btw. On Canada atm and it shows up on there.

Enjoy.

128. Walter Gretzkys Neighbour says:

JD¡™ David O’Connor’s Reel: I don’t know whether to laugh or cry at that avatar!

Yeah it was more involved but wouldn’t fit in the avatar space. Originally it said “The most difficult OCD decision of my life…”

129. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Bag of Pucks,

Thx. Makes it easier.

130. Snowman says:

I also somewhat disagree with the notion that being the best possession player on the worst possession team is meaningless. If you’re the guy who’s best at pulling anchors around with you all day when you get non anchors don’t you think it would make it easier to improve your possession numbers.

I have absolutely no evidence of this but it seems like the old cliche about tides and lifting all ships would apply to possession numbers, even if the ship is the highest ship in the lowest sea if you catch my drift.

131. Centre of attention says:

Dashingsilverfox: Yep. There’s still time.

Just looking at unblocked shot attempts for last season.

Taylor Hall:

For: 523

Against : 582

The previous season:

For: 725

Against: 906

Those are seasons 4 and 5 for Hall.

No river being pushed there at all.

Just by way of comparison since the Taylor vs. Tyler debate is still raging….

Seguin last season:

For: 824

Against: 713

The previous season…

For: 913

Against: 804

THAT is pushing the river.

Seguin is also playing with Spezza and Art Ross winner Jamie Benn. In Boston he was playing for presidents-trophy caliber teams. Unblocked shot attempts are not a great stat to compare individual players. This last season is the only disappointing season Hall has had, and can be completely blamed on injury. If Hall is healthy, which is a big if, he is equal to Seguin. No doubt. The problem is Hall can’t stay healthy. Its a thing that concerns me more then Hall’s individual skill, which is phenomenal.

Hall is a better skater then Seguin, a better passer, but I’ll give the better shot to Tyler.
    Hall is a better play maker, Seguin the better sniper. 2 different beasts and we can argue until cows come home about who is better.

The correct answer to who is better? Neither. Their pretty much equal, at least right now. Taylors Injuries give the edge to Tyler at the moment, thats all there is too it.

Let Taylor have a healthy season with a defense that can get him the puck. Lordy, the comparisons might be a bit more fair.

132. striker says:

Dashingsilverfox: In what season are you willing to make an assessment?
    10?
    20?

That doesn’t make any sense. It never went to Season 10 let alone 20 unless you count the reunion on Curb as 10 but I’m a purist and I refuse to do that.

133. Bag of Pucks says:

Snowman:
    Bag of Pucks,

That’s entirely possible. There have been some encouraging signs. He’s always had the leadership intangible.

134. Ducey says:

Hi DSF!

135. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Idle and Cleese chat about the old days: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnpY46lOTX4

Great stuff.

Now off to Nightcrawler.

136. LadiesloveSmid says:

Boy, you read up 5 posts and see this thread just is not worth it.

Boo

137. wheatnoil says:

striker: That doesn’t make any sense.It never went to Season 10 let alone 20 unless you count the reunion on Curb as 10 but I’m a purist and I refuse to do that.

This is a brilliant post.

138. Wild Bill Hunter says:

Not that this means anything but Christian Ehrhoff and Justin Schultz have the same birthday. (July 6)

Wild Bill Hunter:

Ehrhoff on a one year deal would be very nice.

140. SwedishPoster says:

Markus Näslunds first six NHL seasons:
    93/94: 5 goals in 76 games(age 20)
    94/95: 2 goals in 14 games.
    95/96: 22 goals in 76 games.
    96/97: 21 goals in 78 games.
    97/98: 14 goals in 76 games
    98/99: 36 goals in 80 games(age 26).

So his first 35 goal season in his 6th season at age 26. He went on to have three 40+ seasons in the clutch era.

Näslund had a spectacular junior career and came from two SHL season where he was PPG so he came in highly touted and people started to call him a product of Peter Forsberg.

Not every prospects route looks the same.

141. wheatnoil says:

Lowetide: Ehrhoff on a one year deal would be very nice.

More than very nice, it would be balance.

142. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Bag of Pucks,

Looks like a good one so far.

Thx again!

143. Bag of Pucks says:

JD¡™ David O’Connor’s Reel:
    Bag of Pucks,

Looks like a good one so far.

Thx again!

Np, if you like that one, Gosling is a fine Canadian actor with some good films under his belt. Drive. The Place Beyond the Pines.

144. Gerta Rauss says:

Lowetide: Ehrhoff on a one year deal would be very nice.

Lubo on a 1 year deal would work for me

It’s a real longshot based on his exit from Edmonton but maybe his countryman Sekera can put in a good word for us

145. CofC says:

Man; A lot of bitching on here about a young Defenseman in Schultz who is trying to be introspective and constructive in moving towards better play…

Bunch of sad-sack channel surfers who probably never achieved any level of athletic excellence in their lives, who have the gall to criticize a young impressionable player who has actually worked his way into the world’s most elite league and has barely 200 games under his belt as a defenseman.

Absolutely no one on this site can claim to have achieved as he has, yet so many are salivating at the chance to tear him down with zero understanding of what it will take for him to succeed.

Support the guy and give him the best chance for success; I think it’s great that he recognizes some of his weaknesses and has goals and aspirations regarding his level of play. GREAT that he looks up to Drew Doughty – and why not? Thousands of players looked up to Gretzky and Crosby, including many that will never play anything like them. BFD.

Get off your high horses and inject some positivity for a change…(!)

146. Hockeyman 99 says:

Lots of people here are missing DSFs point. What he’s trying to say is Hall and Yak suck because they were drafted by the oilers.

147. G Money says:

DashingDonaldTrump sez:

Some arbitrarily chosen comparable
    Mixed with deliberately flawed logic
    Combined with a profound lack of understanding of hockey statistics
    Sprinkled with a deliberate falsehood
    Expressed in the most inflammatory way possible

Who the fuck cares?

148. "Steve Smith" says:

Dashingsilverfox:Doesn’t matter who you compare him to.

That being the case, I’m going to compare him to Dan LaCouture.

[Time passes.]

Shit, Yak’s amazing!

149. PhrankLee says:

RexLibris: At least he’s recognizing that “bend like a reed in the wind” isn’t always an appropriate mantra for an NHL defenseman.

I’ve been calling it “Jazz Hands Defending”

150. Frank the dog says:

Ask TMac about Hall vs Seguin. He coached both at the same time on the same team. Or just compare their srats, and where the coach played each of them.
    Seguins a sniper pure and simple. Hall is a much more rounded player and won gold on the top line.
    Given the benefit of hindsight I’m glad we have Hall.

151. Pouzar says:

Our OKC buddy Jason Williams signs with Kolner Haie (DEL).

152. PhrankLee says:

I get being excited. I get defending our home town team.

What I don’t get is taking troll bait so obvious that it isn’t even clever. I know some clever trolls.

The one that lives here is not.

I’m expecting a much improved team. I am expecting .500 hockey this season and that may be a tall order.

If they can win as many as they lose I will be happier than I have been at any point in the last 10 years.

It’s a nice thing to look forward to, improving.

153. flyfish1168 says:

Lots of talk about Yak here so here is my opinion. Nail it seems has always been such an underdog on this team. Yak has top 6 skill set. 1st over all players generally are offensive minded. Yak had an idiot of a coach for 1.5 years of his career we have 3 players that bleed mistakes and still gets sent over for top minutes. Yak and his agent sees this and no wonder the poor young kid with minimum English is confused and looses confidence. I say play him ahead of Purcell since there is absolutely NO chance of Ted being part of the core. We need Yak to succeed. He has more potential then Eberle. Yak plays with an edge more than any of our other skilled players. Time we start treating everyone’s mistakes equally. JHMO

154. GCW_69 says:

godot10: All good except for the small problem that Franson isn’t a top 4 D. He is a 3rd pairing D, and a relatively useless one at that.

Can you back up that claim? I can point to many stats based articles and visualizations that show him to be second pair. Where is your evidence?

155. Sugar Reijo says:

Lowetide: Ehrhoff on a one year deal would be very nice.

Not sure if this has been posted in previous threads, but…

“Ehrhoff will take another one-year contract: agent”

156. SkatinginSand says:

Snowman:

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

157. Jaxon says:

I could see Laleggia jump to the top 4 left side and pair with Reinhart very early in the season. I think he will impress. His NHLE from the past season is in pretty good company. He may even get a cup of coffee on the Oilers this season.

Some NHLEs of notable NCAA D in their Draft+3 or final College year if undrafted (ND):
    Matt Carle – 46
    Torey Krugg (ND) – 30
    Mike Reilly – 27
    Kevin Shattenkirk – 25
    Brad Hunt (ND) – 23
    Jordan Oesterle (ND) – 17
    Ryan McDonagh – 14
    **Highly sought after Mike Reilly matched LaLeggia in his draft+4 year, not his draft+3.

I think his closest comparables are John-Michael Liles and Alex Goligoski. He falls between them in point production and is about the same size.

Liles jumped right into the NHL after 5 AHL games and scored 34pts, the following season he scored 49pts.

Goligoski took a bit longer to crack the Penguins lineup. He played 3 games in the NHL and 70 games in the AHL where he scored 38pts. The following year he played 45 NHL games and got 20 pts along with 18pts in 26 games in the AHL. In his 3rd season he produced a solid 37pts in 69 games.

With MacLennan’s powerplay wizardry, I thinks it’s a reasonable bet that he could force his way onto the lineup by next year for at least 25 games. Maybe even this year if some bodies get dumped.

I think with all the hoopla surrounding McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse, Reinhart (positive & negative), Talbot, Sekera, MacLennan and Chiarelli this summer we may be overlooking one of the real gems in the system, who was picked 123rd overall in 2012. Nice pick!

158. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: Dorey

He’s more Jim McKenny than either of those guys.