THE BOBCAYGEON CONSTELLATIONS

The more I get into projections for next year’s team, the more Ontario province shines for the Oilers—now and in the future. Connor McDavid’s place on the opening night roster is a given—based on NHL history going back to my childhood—he’s a teenage stone alone with the only similar gem in memory discovered 10 years ago.

Darnell Nurse is easy to overlook, we’ve been aware of him for over two years now and watched his progress in three different leagues. The value of defensemen is measured by more than the boxcar numbers that pass across our view, and in the case of Darnell Nurse the offensive and defensive package at 20, as he enters the NHL, are substantial.

NURSE

• D Darnell Nurse. A man among boys, he swatted away opponents like flies. I would guess 95% of the falling came as a result of Nurse simply overwhelming players. Had some good battles, too. So mobile. Source

I watched Nurse at the orientation camp two weeks ago and was struck by how mature he is compared to players much younger (and a few who are older). Nurse is special compared to all of the young defensemen who have seen these parts in recent history, because he possesses the complete skill set. Fast as lightning, intelligent, good at reading and reacting, and very good at making sure opponents end up in a heap. His offensive game projects very well. I’ve seen Nurse battle (including a very famous exchange with Alexander Dergachyov at the gold medal WJ game) and we know he was facing tough opposition two years ago:

• SSM GM Kyle Dubas, about 2013-14: “People get obsessed with Darnell’s plus/minus (plus-1, down from plus-15 the year prior), but his underlying numbers are excellent. Relative to the competition he plays [against], he does extremely well. Far greater than 50 percent of the time, the puck is not in our end. To me, it doesn’t get much bigger than that. If we’re taking the other team’s best players and forcing them to play in their end and away from the puck, that’s a successful day. The quality of competition he’s faced is higher than anyone else in our league, especially among defencemen.” Source

I wrote in June, before the draft, don’t think Nurse spends much if any time in Bakersfield, California. The Oilers would need to add two legit pieces in order for anyone to reasonably argue that Nurse was the No. 7 option for the club. I suspect he’ll be third pairing opening night LH side for the Oilers and maybe that’s where we should start the conversation.

Haven’t changed my mind. Third pairing, where he belongs until ready to move up the depth chart. The Oilers have a buyout window this weekend and if they proceed with one and follow with signing Christian Ehrhoff, then I’ll absolutely agree that Nurse should and will play in Bakersfield this season. I don’t see it happening, honestly.

It seems to me Darnell Nurse will do at 20 what Jordan Eberle did at the same age: Make his NHL team, establish himself as a bona fide NHL player and move up the depth chart before season’s end. We have our top four defenseman and his name is Darnell Nurse. A man at 20, he’ll be in the NHL in 2015-16. Todd McLellan simply won’t let him go.

I believe this to be true.

89 Responses to "THE BOBCAYGEON CONSTELLATIONS"

1. serum114 says:

Sekera-Fayne
    Klefbom-Schultz
    Nurse-Gryba
    Ference

Nikitin down the line (bought out/traded with salary retained/in the minors)

That’s my guess. Ference can step in for Nurse if he needs time off here or there, or cover for injury.

If they add a piece (Ehrhoff/Franson/Hejda) I think it puts pressure on the captain, not the kid.

2. Braden88 says:

serum114,

I agree with that depth chart. I don’t like Schultz in the top 4 but I also don’t like Nurse and Schultz together. Schultz needs 3rd pairing, but we already have so many guys best suited in that role. Schultz sticks out like a sore thumb! If only Klefbom were 1-2 years older I would be happy.

When life gives you lemons…..

3. Spoils says:

serum114,

Sekera – NEW ADDITION
    Klefbom – Fayne
    Gryba – Schultz
    Ference

Nurse and Reinhart in minors with callups, Nikitin bought out…

4. G Money says:

Ah, a nice little shout out to the Hip!

The topic of using them for the backdrop for a series was raised in a thread not long ago (which in my view is a fabulous idea), and I was shocked, SHOCKED I TELL YOU, at the Hip-haters who suddenly came out of the woodwork.

I like Nurse a lot.

I think he can climb from about 7th on the depth chart today to about 4th in late Dec/Jan if he plays in the NHL.

If Chiarelli buys out Ference and adds Ehrhoff on a one year deal then Nurse can probably only climb to 5th by Christmas and that would mean that for the first time since ~2010 the Oilers have a NHL caliber Dcorps.

That would be nice.

6. Cameron says:

‘The Men They Couldn’t Hang’ were permanently relegated to the dustbins of history for me by the lyrics to this song.

Does this hint at a T-Hip RE series? (ohplease ohplease ohplease)

7. blainer says:

With you all the way on Nurse.. Said at the time when he went to the A for the playoffs that this is his early test. To me he WAS their best D. He will be on the ice for the Oil season opener.. Book it..

Have to give Mact full Kudos for this pick as I was pissed when he passed on Nichuskin.. It’s amazing actually for someone who cannot asses D very well he knocked it out of the park on this pick..

8. Woogie63 says:

Nurse

4 months ago playing against 17-19 year old boys that weight 170 ish, against teams that have 5-7 star player, playing a rover type role.

4 months from now, playing against Getzlaf, Thorton, Kopitar, against teams with every player that is going to push Nurse, playing more traditional dman role.

Bakerfield=best place for development

9. AsiaOil says:

Simply too hard to project any lineup until the buy-out window is exploited or lapses – but Reinhart has a year of AHL experience under his belt and Nurse needs some games in the AHL to hit the ground running. I want Nurse to make the worst of the inevitable mistakes in Bakersfield – not Edmonton – so why rush him for no reason.

10. blainer says:

G Money:
    Ah, a nice little shout out to the Hip!

I saw them Live with the Eagles last summer and I came away with this thought..There is somethin not quite right with that lead singer.. Actually had me laughing most of the time with his moves..

11. G Money says:

Re: Nurse … I believe those things to be true as well.

I expect that, barring an Ehrhoff or a miraculous recovery of health from Nikitin, the third pairing this year will be Nurse-Reinhart, with Gryba (not Ference or Nikitin) lurking in the wings.

AND I believe this pairing will be a major improvement on last year.

12. G Money says:

Woodguy: and that would mean that for the first time since ~2010 the Oilers have a NHL caliber Dcorps.
    That would be nice.

And the Understatement of the Year Award goes to …

13. oiler4ever82 says:

I believe this May happen. 1st rounder 2016, mark fayne, and a dman prospect or another 1st rounder in 2017 for Brent seabrook. Leaving this.
    Sekera – Seabrook
    Klefbom – Shultz
    Nurse/Reinhardt – Gryba
    Ference

I hope this happens without using klefbom as the bait. They can’t sign a franson without getting rid of a righty. That’s why seabrook makes more sense if they buyout Nikki.

14. GCW_69 says:

The NHL is not a development league. Nurse should prove he can consistently dominate at the AHL level before getting an NHL job.

15. jm363561 says:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the argument is not “is DN in the top 6 D at the club”, it is how best to develop him into absolutely the best D he can be? Maybe third pairing is best for his development, I don’t know. It is the thought process I disagree with.

Only yesterday we were extolling the patient way Anaheim develop their young players. Today it is, if the guy is one of our best 6 he’s in; BAM; end of discussion.

GCW_69:
    The NHL is not a development league.Nurse should prove he can consistently dominate at the AHL level before getting an NHL job.

17. blainer says:

GCW_69:

Its kinda funny.. if we went back to last summers threads we were saying the exact same things with Nurse only it was Junior and the WJC. I would not be against Nurse spending time in the A if he is not ready but if he is like Pietrangelo then he is ready. Just like we said last year if he makes the team on merit.. good. IMO you don’t send players down if they won the job for the first 10 games.

They can always be sent down later just like last year when he was sent back to Junior. Like LT.. I believe he makes the team.. the man is a beast and I do think he can take on the Getzlaf’s and come out just fine.. I think he’s ready.. if not I agree send him to the condors..

jm363561,

Only yesterday we were extolling the patient way Anaheim develop their young players. Today it is, if the guy is one of our best 6 he’s in; end of discussion.

Actually you’re the first person to make the decision so black and white.

If Ehrhoff doesn’t sign with the Oilers this weekend, they won’t buy anyone out.

And the D starting the season

Sekera, Fayne
    Klefbom, Schultz
    Reinhart, Gryba
    Ference

NIkitin and Nurse in Bakersfield.

Nurse is the real #7 in Bakersfield. Schultz and Reinhart on the hot seat from Day 1, with Nurse warming up in the bullpen.

Nikitin and Ference only play if there are a lot of injuries.

20. Ryan says:

Woodguy:
    I like Nurse a lot.

That would be nice.

I’m struggling to find a reason to not buyout Ference… I can’t find one unless he’s ready for LTIR or retirement.

G Money: And the Understatement of the Year Award goes to …

I miss actual NHL Dmen.

Oilers form 2006-2010 had a much better Dcorps than Fcorps.

Lowe and MacT knew they were missing high end talent and lusted after it.

The D were good and would get the puck up to the forwards well. As well as many teams, even after Pronger left.

If anyone other than Hemsky and a few others was on the receiving end of the pass it would end in nothing.

Nothing.

Now the forwards have been decent for about 2 years, but the Dcorps was Petry, Flotsam, Jetsom, Place Holder, Last Contract Charlie, Clueless Rookie, along with Gritty Bad Skater eating popcorn as the 7Dman.

If they can get league average D, they’re going to have the puck a lot more and the Fcorps is full of guys who have filled then net in every level they’ve played at.

If they have the above AND *slightly* better than average SV%, then they’ll score more than the opposition too.

Please fix the Dcorps.

Please?

godot10:

And the D starting the season

Sekera, Fayne
    Klefbom, Schultz
    Reinhart, Gryba
    Ference

NIkitin and Nurse in Bakersfield.

Nurse is the real #7 in Bakersfield.Schultz and Reinhart on the hot seat from Day 1, with Nurse warming up in the bullpen.

Nikitin and Ference only play if there are a lot of injuries.

I would bet on this as the odds on favourite of what will actually happen.

23. blainer says:

godot10:

And the D starting the season

Sekera, Fayne
    Klefbom, Schultz
    Reinhart, Gryba
    Ference

NIkitin and Nurse in Bakersfield.

Nikitin and Ference only play if there are a lot of injuries.

I know this much.. this is gonna be one competitive camp ..Finally..

This is the way I see it with no buyouts.. By Xmas

Sekera Shultz

Nurse Fayne

Klefbom Reinhart

24. Doug McLachlan says:

godot10,

If Ehrhoff does sign, obviously they are buying somebody (or somebodies) out but this is Chia’s last chance to create space be it for a signing now, signing closer to TC or for a trade. It may be that he does none of those things before the weekend is out (remember the 48h window opens Saturday – it doesn’t close Saturday).

The Chia theme so far seems to be about keeping options open. I believe a buy-out creates more options and he will be tempted but if he thinks there is a trade option out there, that is preferable and doesn’t have the time limit.

We wait.

25. Melman says:

blainer,

The hitch here may be the bonuses payable to Reinhart and Nurse. Per Speeds Reinhart’s bonus is $1.5M more than Nurse’s. If it’s close between the 2 of them, that plus Darnell’s skating may tip the scales in favour of 25.

26. Steve4 says:

In 2011 Chicago was in the conversation for College UFA Justin Schultz. Brent Seabrook plays a more offensive role at evens than Johnny Oduya has. Is there any chance that Chicago would want Schultz in a trade discussion?

Steve4:
    In 2011 Chicago was in the conversation for College UFA Justin Schultz.Brent Seabrook plays a more offensive role at evens than Johnny Oduya has.Is there any chance that Chicago would want Schultz in a trade discussion?

This is the big question imo. If Schultz is part of the Seabrook payment, well that’s a very interesting conversation.

28. speeds says:

Melman,

One thing I didn’t really get to in that article is, depending on the cap and injury situation, it may not be impossible that Draisaitl and/or Reinhart are not able to be recalled and see the team fit under the cap, depending how close to the cap the Oilers are, who is injured, any additional signings, etc.

29. Woogie63 says:

If we had a forward crew like Chicago, NYR we might be able to hide a very good 20 year old dman.

With 14,16, 10 as committed stick checkers it is going to feel like the right side of the rink is the QE2 alot of nights.

In October-December 2015 Ference and NN give us a better chance to win in the NHL.

Bakersfield is not punishment

30. stush18 says:

I don’t know why we really worry about bonuses.

If reinhart and mcdavid and drai all hit there bonuses, that means they all had one hell of a year.

The bonuses can all be pushed to next year, where we lose 4.5 from Purcell, 4.5 from nikitin, 2.5(?) from scrivs, we have enough bodies and young players to fill out our lineup next year without any big additions.

2016-17
    Poo-nuge-ebs
    Hall-mcdavid-yak
    Drai-lander-miller
    Korp-letestu-pak

That’s leaving slepy and yak2 in the AHL, while they are prolly ready. I could see slepy slide into millers spot, and yak2 pushing his way onto the squad and forcing a trade.

This year is huge for yakupov. I would guess unless he rips it up this year, he is moved along, and we go with something like

Poo-nuge-ebs
    Hall-mcdavid-drai
    Yak2-lander-slepy
    Korp-letestu-pak

31. Numenius says:

Ryan: I’m struggling to find a reason to not buyout Ference…I can’t find one unless he’s ready for LTIR or retirement.

That may not be a good enough reason, but it’s an actual reason, and it’s worth acknowledging.

32. Ryan says:

Numenius: A key reason is that they don’t want to have 1.1M on the books in year 4 when McDavid gets his first big contract.

33. Numenius says:

Ryan: Weigh that vs the next two years of $3.25 m of dead cap space with some bargains factored in this summer.

You asked for a reason. I gave you one. If you want to debate its merits, that’s another question.

34. Johnny says:

I didn’t realize that Dergachyov was draft eligible. I would have been tempted to grab him in the second round based on those battles with Nurse. Nurse could barely handle him and he was 18!

Then again, not totally sold on ‘Dergachyov’ as a name, which is how I base 95% of my scouting….

35. Johnny says:

BTW, thanks LT…I have been trying to figure out who that guy was..

36. Ray says:

Question for the group…

Purcell vs Bozak; who would you rather have on the team?

Would you trade for Bozak if Purcell and either of Ference or Nikitin were going the other direction? Is Bozak worth dumping for that price?

Toronto was rumored to be wanting a 2nd round pick for him at the draft.

Would there be a trade there that could work for both teams?

Purcell, Ference, a pick for Bozak? 3 for 1?

Then Buyout Nikitin and sign Ehrhoff. Play Bozak on RW.

37. sliderule says:

TSN has an article saying oilers travel the second most miles.They travel 9000 miles more than average.
    What’s the big deal.
    Airplanes cruise about 450 mph so over season it’s 20 hours extra split over 42 games or an average of 1/2 hour per game.
    When you consider it takes between about 3 hours just to get to and from airports it’s a small difference.
    Eastern media trying to convince players don’t go west?

38. spoiler says:

LT said…

I believe this to be true.

Moi aussi. 100% agreed. Have said the same all along.

If Schultz got all those minutes last year because of how well he can skate, imagine what Nurse should really be getting.

The defense could easily be this by some point next year:

Sekera Nurse
    Klefbom Fayne
    Reinhart Schultz
    Gryba

Or flip Sekera and Nurse, if you prefer. Or let them work it out between them.

Is Nurse better at RHD than Fayne and Schultz coming out of camp? I’m guessing he will be. Maybe not better than Sekera. It will take Nurse quite a few games to adjust to the speed and learn the idiosyncrasies of other team’s players, but I would bet he’s one of the top 3 defensemen on the team by the end of the season.

I’m not certain that Klefbom is better in his own end than Nurse is right now. It’s close, but Nurse I think will pass him. They’re both amazing skaters, but I think Nurse has the edge.

Maybe Nurse has to stay down due to cap implications, but if they have Drai and Nikitin in the A for some time, they should be okay.

The only problem is Ference, because if Nurse is up, he’s at best an 8th defenseman. Teams don’t normally carry 8. Can’t see Gazdic being the only F, no?

39. hunter1909 says:

godot10: Nikitin and Ference only play if there are a lot of injuries.

Lowe+MacT will be cheering for Ference.

: p

40. spoiler says:

sliderule,

They also fly more often than some of the Eastern Seaboard. US teams have to deal with Customs less. Also all teams use charters so don’t have the same length of time in the airport that the average traveller does. And you calculated from the average, so I’m guessing, the best teams have it somewhere around twice as good, or maybe more? What’s the median?

41. Jaxon says:

Buyout/Trade Niktin. Sign Franson. Trade Schultz and Moroz to Washington for Madison Bowey.

Sekera – Fayne
    Klefbom – Franson
    Nurse – Gryba
    Ference

Call-ups
    Reinhart – Bowey
    LaLeggia

42. jake70 says:

sliderule:
    What’s the big deal.
    When you consider it takes betweenabout 3 hours just to get to and from airports it’s a small difference.
    Eastern media trying to convince players don’t go west?

Wonder for those 3 NY teams, whenever playing each other, the away team guys must be home in their own bed by 1130pm, some of them likely before the home team guys.

43. HenryDrix says:

godot10,

Agree entirely. Let’s talk about who will replace Ference as Captain. Do one of the young forwards finally get the role? I say it’s time to make Hall Captain and let him lead this team on and off the ice.

44. Doug McLachlan says:

To get the full desperate experience, at what time tomorrow does the 48h second buy-out window open?

45. Richard S.S. says:

I listened to a Podcast at work, Inside Sports – 13 July – Bob Stauffer and Dave Campbell as guests episode – or – one of the Oilers Now, July 15th episodes. Apparently teams are interested in Nikita Nikitin with Edmonton retaining possibly 50% of the salary. If true, that throws the cat amongst the pigeons.

46. leadfarmer says:

If you are not giving a player a job in the NHL because of you are worried about paying him bonuses get ready for a bad relationship with that player. I could see a player being disappointed when he was cut from the squad because he wasn’t good enough. But if he is clearly better than other players on the roster and you cut him because you don’t want to pay him, you might as well start thinking about trading him cause he’s not doing you any favors down the line.

47. kinger_OIL says:

– Reinhart is the new GMs guy. He has played a year in the AHL. He will not “lose out” in training camp to another rookie with less experience. That’s how pro hockey works: always has, always well.

– Ference isn’t getting bought-out, he’s the captain, and lots of execs in the organization will go to bat for him, and Ference isn’t retiring: he’s going to get paid, as per his contract

– Your bottom 5-7 will be Gryba, Reinhart, Ference, NN, Nurse, in that order, baring another move: that’s how pro hockey works.

– Those who think Nurse is going to “earn” a spot, are hoping that Chia and McLellan are going to favour shiny new things over vets. They won’t, this isn’t the OIL of circa gong show anymore: you guys should just pray your wrong if Nurse starts in the bigs. On a real team, wth a good D corps, Nurse probably could be sheltered by 6 other bona-fide NHL D’s. That’s not this team, and its not his fault.

48. Ducey says:

To change the debate slightly from the endless Ference/ NN buyouts, I wonder about the impact of the falling $C on the Oilers and the other Canadian Teams.

If the $C hits $.65 that turns a$71M payroll into a $109M payroll.

Katz might have oodles of $ from the new arena( he is paying out a ton too), but places like WPG and OTT are not going to able to come close to any reduced Cap.

I imagine there is a fair amount of consternation about this among GMs/ owners. And its impacting directly on Franson’s ability to get term.

I wonder if Chia might be planning not to take on anymore contracts so that they will be able to meet finacial challenges next year. It could be a whole different NHL world next summer.

49. Snowman says:

kinger_OIL,

Actually I’m going to have to disagree with a lot of that. I agree on the Reinhart. I think he gets every chance to make the team. I agreee I doubt TCAF gets bought out.

I absolutely agree this is the not the OIL of circa gong show which is exactly why I think Nurse has a legitimate shot. The Oilers are going to start making decisions based on winning hockey games. If Nurse is your 4th or 5th he plays and he should. He’ll have beaten out legitimate NHLers to get that spot and he deserves it if it happens. I don’t think Chia and Maclellan are going to favor anything other than winning hockey games. Shiny and new or old and broken won’t matter anymore. What will help them win. That’s what decisions should be based on. There are 6 bona fide NHLers ahead of Nurse as of now. Fayne-Sekera-Klefbom-Schultz-Nikitin-Ference-Gryba. 7 legit NHLers. Nurse will beat three of them. Its almost guaranteed. He’ll skate better, he’ll be stronger, he’ll move the puck better. He’s going to make the team on merit and he should get a spot based on merit.

That’s what good teams have. Competition to determine spots based on merit. Not old or new, vet or rookie. Who is better. The best players will play and Nurse will be one of them.

50. LMHF#1 says:

I’ve always assumed they only have the ability to buy out one guy – is that not the case?

If it is more than one, I’d see Scrivens going. Might even be just him anyway.

51. kinger_OIL says:

Snowman,

I don’t think you disagree much at all actually. You did a great job of summarizing. Just temper your enthusiasm for Nurse with a bunch of hockey realities and we toally agree. Factor in that NN gets paid $4.5MM, and the hockey/business thing to do is show him good to off-load him, stat, and he is not a rookie, and the NHL is not a development league, and there are salary caps, and in one year NN is gone, and they will therefore do all to accomadate NN,

– Plus you can’t have 2 rooks in Nurse and Reinhart learning for 82 games on your roster if you want to win.

– Again its not Nurse’s fault he is competing against expensive veteran boat anchor D’s plus Shultz who is a garbage D, let alone the new GM’s expensive shiny toy rook who is further along in his development: Nurse has 4-5 D to pass, and a structural problem to deal with. Won’t happen.

– Best thing for Nurse is a lot of games as a minute munching D in the AHL, with time in the NHL: at least in the last few years the OIL figured that out and brought along Marincin and Klef that way…

– Ideally Nurse Reinhart combined play 70 games next year, and get better and the boat anchors sink

kinger_OIL:
    – Reinhart is the new GMs guy.He has played a year in the AHL.He will not “lose out” in training camp to another rookie with less experience.That’s how pro hockey works: always has, always well.

Reinhart is an excellent player, probably NHL-ready as I expressed here.

As for how players don’t lose out in training camp, sure they do, all the time.

53. StrathOil says:

LMHF#1:

If it is more than one, I’d see Scrivens going. Might even be just him anyway.

For the second period however, there is a minimum salary to be bought out, (2.75M ish I believe) that Scrivens does not meet.

54. LMHF#1 says:

StrathOil: They can buy out three players in the additional buyout period during the duration of the CBA. So they could buy out as many as three.

Right, that was the issue with Scrivens.

I didn’t know you could do three players though. Assume you need to save some as the CBA is good for a number of years still.

55. kinger_OIL says:

– Scrivens wasn’t the best G last year in training camp: but he was their boy. Hunt wasn’t top 6 D in training camp, and Acton sucked: all made it for other reasons

– Yes players can earn in training camp, but too many organizational obstacles for Nurse in particular, and baring injuries or bed sh+tting, its best to have Nurse prove himself like the OIL seem to have figured out, not by a 6 game adrenalin rush pre-season.

– Reinhart is going to start in the NHL, new guy said so, and he should be the only rook on opening day D

56. Richard S.S. says:

Numenius,

Chiarelli’s not creating another buyout unless his Cap People say he must. So unless he can clear enough Cap space to his liking another way, he will. Watch the waiver wires.

57. Numenius says:

Richard S.S.: Are you implying they’d rather use that money for an Aulie-type or someone really cheap from the minors, because that’s what $1.1 million is likely worth in 4 years time?

The 1.1M can be added to other available funds at the time to get a better NHL player.

For example:

They’re about 2.2M under the cap at the moment this year. If they had an extra 1.1, they’d have 3.3M, which would make it possible to get a 3.3M player.

Besides having the extra 1.1M for the 4th year, there’d also be the extra 1.1M available for the previous year (last year of McDavid’s ELC), which would helpful in the same way.

It’s years 3 and 4 when they really want to be contending for the cup, so you’d prefer not to hinder yourself with miscellaneous funds, like Ference’s buyout, taking cap space.

Why not use them up in the next 2 years when you’re not quite ready to contend anyway?

58. Woogie63 says:

Woodguy: It would be really cool if Nurse played 4 AHL playoff games in the 2nd round of the AHL playoffs and by the 3rd games was getting the most ice time of all the Dmen on merit.

It would be really cool if he did for +40 games

59. Snowman says:

kinger_OIL,

You can’t have two boat anchors and expect to win. If NN, Ference and Gryba are better than Nurse than fair enough. If he’s better than all three he’s going to play. If he’s significantly better than Reinhart he’s going to play.

I have no expectation of Nurse really other than what he’s already proven. He’s big, strong, superb skater and can move the puck. That will be enough to merit him a spot. I’m not saying he’s a top pairing Dman right now. He’s just better than the boat anchors.

I guess I disagree with you on how I think Chia and Maclellan choose their team. I see them picking the best players to play the whole season. You seem to have factored cost and age into the equation.

I don’t think you can win the Ference and Nikitin on your team. I’d rather have Nurse than either. Bring on the speed and the size. If they’re NHL ready, they are NHL ready. If not, they won’t earn spots. I think Nurse will likely be more effective than Ference as of day one of training camp.

I suspect Nurse more than earns a spot. He’s got qualities nobody else has. That will be enough.

If Nurse is anything 5th best or higher dman out of camp he absolutely plays all 82 games. If he’s 6th maybe they send him down for a while until the first injury.

60. kinger_OIL says:

Snowman,

– 2 expensive veteran boat anchors that are going to get paid no matter what in a cap world are going to play over 2 rooks. That’s how the NHL works. And yes, Chia will rid himself of those boat anchors for sure, unlike MacT.

– Gryba and Reinhart are locks.

– There is a logjam, the OIL are all-world in the 5-7 D arms race with probably 7 to 10 D who could fill those spots in the organization. Nurse in a training camp isn’t going to change that reality, even if he shows “better”.

– Snow: happy to bet you a LT donation that Nurse isn’t on opening roster, baring injuries. IT’s not talent or killing it at training camp. We are stuck with NN and Captain, and best case scenario one is replaced by another NHL D in a transaction, with a waiver: and that just pushes Nurse back: and that’s the reality, and best for Nurse.

61. Steve4 says:

Richard S.S.:
    Numenius,

Chiarelli’s not creating another buyout unless his Cap People say he must.So unless he can clear enough Cap space to his liking another way, he will.Watch the waiver wires.

Are you implying that they should leave a roster spot open?

62. flygoalie says:

Conversation goes like this: Daryl, we’re going spend an extra 300 K of your money now to buy us some time. We’ll either aquire a 1/2 Dman through some fancy finagalling or if we run out of time we’ll buy out NN & fish cap strapped waters closer to training camp. Either way we are going to land a 1 / 2 & you’ll make your money back in the first round. Ssshhh Kevin I didn’t ask for your opinion.

63. Snowman says:

kinger_OIL,

I’ll take the bet Nurse is in the opening night roster (caveat trades/injuries).

Nurse makes it unless: there is a significant signing or trade and the bet is off if there are significant injuries which force him into the lineup (ie Sekera falls down the stairs while practicing carrying Schultz around). Deal?

64. stevezie says:

I’m against the buyout because it sounds like the real game changer is going to be next year’s ufa class.

I can stomach a year of Nitkinin to ensure the flexibility to find another sekera or better next summer.

Of course, if someone will take him at 50% salary with a pick that’s even better.

Future cap. It matters

65. Mr. D. says:

I feel goaltending will be better just because of the coaching/GM change. They will expect and teach team defense. Add to that the responsibility added to the back end that will allow our offense will shine.

66. Gret99zky says:

Wow.

Those first 20 games are going to be so important.

Chia better get it right.

67. jm363561 says:

Snowman:
    kinger_OIL,

The Not-The-Detroit model, aka the Edmonton Model.

68. commonfan14 says:

kinger_OIL
    Ference isn’t getting bought-out, he’s the captain

Not to sound too much like Principal Rooney, but if you took a similar position over the years that “blank isn’t getting traded, he’s the captain,” you’d have been wrong nine times.

69. Adam Wu says:

No successful organization uses a model that is a rote and rigid algorithm, devoid of nuance.

When a prospect earned an NHL position by being the best available player for that roster spot, the Red Wings awarded the spot to the prospect, as the prospect deserved, regardless of what league that prospect had played in before, or how many games.

But they made certain that only legitimately NHL ready players had a chance of making their NHL roster.

The Detroit Model is not “send all prospects to the AHL first, always, no matter what”.

The Detroit Model is “stock your NHL team with enough NHL-caliber talent such that only prospects who are legitimately ready can make the team.”

The Detroit Model also includes “employ an NHL coaching staff capable of accurately assessing which prospects are legitimately ready to play in the NHL.”

If and when Darnell Nurse proves that he is better than the 6th best D on the Oilers roster, then he should play on the NHL team, regardless if the time he does so is out of training camp, after 20 games, or after 60 games, or next season. To treat him in any other way is to simply demonstrate that you are an organization that values other concerns over fairness and winning hockey games. And if you do that, it frankly does not matter if x games in the AHL are better in the long run for Nurse’s development or not, because you are simply increasing the likelihood that, in the long run, you will end up developing Nurse for someone else, when he bolts at the earliest opportunity to an organization that WILL treat him fairly and give him the roster positions and ice time that he has legitimately earned.

If you want Nurse in the AHL at the start of next season, then you stock the NHL Team with 6 D better than Nurse. If you are unwilling or unable to do that, you play Nurse on the NHL team. It is as simple as that.

70. Clay says:

G Money:
    Ah, a nice little shout out to the Hip!

I can’t fathom a Canadian who hates the Hip. They are this generation’s Gordon Lightfoot, Neil Young, and Burton Cummings all rolled into one. Even if you don’t like their music, you have to respect them for being real Canadiana.

I still think the biggest whiff at the 2010 Olympics was that the Hip weren’t involved in the ceremonies.

Cameron:

Does this hint at a T-Hip RE series? (ohplease ohplease ohplease)

Seconded and thirded and fourthded.

71. jm363561 says:

Adam Wu:

My own somewhat ill informed view is that a player earns the right to play in the big leagues by dominating for 20 – 40 games in the AHL, not by a few weeks adrenaline rush at training camp, or pushing 18 or 19 year olds around.

Some people in this thread are misunderstanding the issue with the bonuses.

When a player has bonuses in their contract, the team is allowed to only use the base salary in their cap calculations as long as the total number of bonuses not accounted for doesn’t exceed 7.5% of the cap.

This year the cap is $71.4MM so the total bonuses can be a max $5.35MM without having to account for them on this year’s cap.

Let’s set aside what happens if the player hits the bonus for now.

Here are the players who could play for the Oilers with their base salary and potential bonuses: (all base salaries are salary + signing bonus)

McDavid – $925K base – $2.85MM bonus

Klefbom – $894K base – $350K bonus

Nurse – $863K base – $850K bonus

Reinhart – $863K base – $2.35MM bonus

Draisaitl – $925K base – $2.475MM bonus

The total bonus for these players is $8.875MM, so if all of them are on the team at the same time, the Oiler’s effective cap goes down by $3.525MM as they can only go over the cap by $5.35MM

As their cap stands today, it would be impossible to have all these players on the team at once without getting rid of someone as they would be over the cap.

If you look at a site like waronice or generalfanager, you’ll see that they (correctly) account only for the base salary and not the bonuses.

This is why the bonus situation of Draisaitl and Reinhart *might* play a role in them making the team out of camp.

The Oilers might not have the cap room to add them.

Also,

What happens if the bonuses are actually attained?

Lets say that the Oilers are exactly at the cap at the end of the year not including anyone’s bonus.

McDavid attains all of his bonuses of $2.85MM

The Oilers would then lose $2.85MM off the cap for 16/17 to account for this.

So the prudent move is to evaluate the bonuses available and then account for the ones that are attainable for THIS YEAR’S cap so as to not impact next year’s cap.

For McDavid that means you should look at his cap hit as $3.775MM, and not the $925K that all the cap sites have (correctly) listed.

I have no idea what anyone’s bonuses are, but they are usually points, goals, assists, TOI and all-star related.

You should assume that McDavid gets all of his.

I’m not sure about the rest.

73. SwedishPoster says:

jm363561: I understand your point, and all those who want to put our young guns in to improve our chances of winning after so many dreadful years. I just fundamentally disagree with the mind set – if the young guy is good enough put him in. It may help in the short term but not over a period of time. Someone, presumably Bob Green, has to look at the big picture and turn the question into – will moving the (young) player into the NHL hamper his development?

I’m somewhat torn on the subject, on one hand I think everyone makes the team on merit, and if you have several players who are in over their heads you play the veteran and let the prospect simmer in lower leauges, on the other hand I agree with the idea of letting players work their way up to the bigs. Let them dominate at every level before moving up. The issue with that is the players who play a low event game that may never come off as dominant and the players who look better the higher the level that might slip through the cracks. Won’t be an issue with a guy like Nurse but might be with the Davidsons and Simpsons of the world.
    You will eventually have to test your prospects at a higher level to see what gives.
    In the case of Nurse and Reinhart I wouldn’t mind starting them in the AHL and have them come up like Mad dogs looking for blood from being held back.

74. SwedishPoster says:

Woodguy,

Since Drai has played his rookie year, shouldn’t a few of his bonuses be unattainable and thus no longer count towards the Cap? Same goes for Klef.

75. sliderule says:

spoiler,

They didn’t give the median .Toronto travel about 16000 less miles .

The average time extra for the oilers is about 15 minutes per flight for a total of 30 minutes for each road game.

Even with charters you have to pack and travel to and from the airport so I have to think 15 minutes is rather insignificant.

There are folks in the bigger cities that have to travel two hours too and fro to work so I don’t see it affecting the players with the little extra time.

76. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Again, with the Hip… C’mon people!

77. frjohnk says:

Woodguy:
    Some people in this thread are misunderstanding the issue with the bonuses.

Let’s set aside what happens if the player hits the bonus for now.

McDavid – $925K base– $2.85MM bonus

Klefbom – $894K base – $350K bonus

Nurse – $863K base – $850K bonus

Reinhart – $863K base – $2.35MM bonus

Draisaitl – $925K base – $2.475MM bonus

The Oilers might not have the cap room to add them.

Also,

What happens if the bonuses are actually attained?

McDavid attains all of his bonuses of $2.85MM

The Oilers would then lose $2.85MM off the cap for 16/17 to account for this.

You should assume that McDavid gets all of his.

I’m not sure about the rest.

I ran this line up the other day.

Hall—RNH—-Ebs

Davidson $0
    Nillsson $50k
    Nikitin $3.55M

Total Cap Hit
    $65.945M

Cap Space 5.45M

But this does not include

Bonus’s which total 5.55M with this roster

So we are over by 100k with this roster when including all the guys on ELC if they hit their bonus’s.

McDavid will hit most of his, the others probably not.

I could see the Oilers use a buyout even if they do not have somebody else in the cross hairs for top 4 ( Erhoff)

EDIT: I should add even though we are 100k over with the bonus’s that is OK.

“Teams are only allowed to exceed the cap via performance bonuses by a maximum of 7.5% of the Upper Limit, which for the 2015/16 salary cap of 71.4M works out to a 5.355M maximum.”

78. jonrmcleod says:

I will be boycotting the RE series if the music is from The Hip or Rush. (Not that anyone cares.)

79. jonrmcleod says:

Also, when should we expect the Eakins RE post? I’ve been waiting for weeks!

80. slopitch says:

The problem with making the team on merit is that it’s easy to look good in preseason vs other teams non NHL players. The real test is the AHL imo. The one thing MacT should have learned last year is this lesson with Drai. I’d expect all 3 of Nurse, Reinhart and Drai to start in the AHL. Starting in the AHL cannot hurt their development. Starting in the NHL may not either but their are risks involved. The Oilers need to adopt this philosophy and stick to it. Good organizations have been doing this for years.

81. jake70 says:

The Hip lost me after Fully Completely. Til then couldn’t get enough.

82. frjohnk says:

Taking that same line up I ran above but adding Draisaitl and Nurse and burying Klinkhammer in the AHL

The cap hit is $67,044,583

Cap Space is $4,355,417

Bonus’s are $8,875,000

According to Speeds “Teams are only allowed to exceed the cap via performance bonuses by a maximum of 7.5% of the Upper Limit, which for the 2015/16 salary cap of 71.4M works out to a 5.355M maximum. The combined bonuses for Nurse (0.85M), Reinhart (2.35M), Draisaitl (2.475M), Klefbom (0.35M), and McDavid, not signed yet, but assuming a max deal (2.85M) total 8.875M. So what does that mean? In a nutshell, should the Oilers start the year with all five of those players on the roster, the team will have an effective salary cap of 67.88M in order to preserve the required room for bonuses.

So with that roster we would have just over 835k in cap space when including bonus’s

83. Richard S.S. says:

If you compare time remaining on an ELC, you have to make decisions, the super cost effective years are now.

If three full years remain, like Nurse, you don’t have to make a decision now on whether he makes the Team, because you are not yet scheduled to burn a year.

If only one year remains, he should be up and playing a lot. You need to make a decision here quick and you must be right because he gets expensive right away, like Klefbom.

If just two years remain, like Draisaitl and Reinhart, you must make a decision now. Are they part of your future, or are they a long shot? If they are part of the future, they need to be up now, learning where it matters. If long shots, send them down or trade them.

84. pts2pndr says:

sliderule,

The big difference is in the east after your road games and you usually always are home and sleep in your own bed! Far less disruptive re sleep diet and impact on your family (less family stress)They are people as well as hockey players. It speaks to quality of life.

85. Магия 10 says:

Woodguy: McDavid – $925K base – $2.85MM bonus
    Klefbom – $894K base – $350K bonus
    Nurse – $863K base – $850K bonus
    Reinhart – $863K base – $2.35MM bonus
    Draisaitl – $925K base – $2.475MM bonus

IF they do a buyout they’ll be tight enough this year that Drai and Reinhart could be battling for an opening day spot or the first call up. Think Nurse gets 40 AHL games to fill out his game even if his strong points hide a lot. It’s not training camp or the first 10 games it’s about being ready to sustain.

86. Tokyo Oil says:

I’m inclined to side with SLOPITCH regarding Nurse, Reinhart and Drai starting in the AHL and then moving up during the year.

Nurse and Reinhart on the 1st pairing D getting lots of minutes will be much more beneficial than either one of them playing 3rd pairing minutes on the Oil. And while Drai has stated he is willing to play on the wing I would rather see him playing and excelling at his natural C position. He would be the 1C in Bakersfield and like Nurse and Reinhart would get lots of playing time every night.

It would also give these guys a chance to form a good bond and push each other to play their best so that they can all move up to the big team during the year.

87. sliderule says:

pts2pndr,

I would assume that the New York teams could do that but I am not sure about teams like Toronto and Detroit.
    If the game ends at 10.30 pm by the time a team got home it would be close to 2 am.Hardly promoting family life.

88. Hammers says:

Woodguy:
    Some people in this thread are misunderstanding the issue with the bonuses.

Let’s set aside what happens if the player hits the bonus for now.

McDavid – $925K base– $2.85MM bonus

Klefbom – $894K base – $350K bonus

Nurse – $863K base – $850K bonus

Reinhart – $863K base – $2.35MM bonus

Draisaitl – $925K base – $2.475MM bonus

The Oilers might not have the cap room to add them.

Also,

What happens if the bonuses are actually attained?

McDavid attains all of his bonuses of $2.85MM

The Oilers would then lose $2.85MM off the cap for 16/17 to account for this.

You should assume that McDavid gets all of his.

I’m not sure about the rest.

Thanks for that and I kind of guessed it was something like that but I also thought it was number of games played and wouldn’t Leon’s be based on last year as he played just under what he was allowed. I guess we will find out soon enough .

Richard S.S.:

Nurse, Reinhart, and Draisaitl will all use a season of their ELC this year regardless of where they play.

Nurse, his first, and Reinhart and Draisaitl, their 2nd year.