THE THIRD ROUND (2015 EDITION)

I’ve always felt the criticisms leveled at the Oilers for their second-round selections applied far better when dealing with the third round. Whereas the second round had injuries and draft for need issues, the third round for Edmonton has been wingnut central for a decade (although the Craig MacTavish era improved things).

I’m hopeful we can have a rational conversation about the Edmonton Oilers in the third round 2008-15. No grand statements on either side, no claims of victory, just an honest assessment of the way things are, the good and bad arrows, and a discussion in regard to useful players coming out of this area of the draft.

In order to do this, we absolutely have to agree on some things:

• We can’t judge a drafted player weeks after his selection.
  • We can count arrows, and they are a good indicator.
  • We cannot expect all of the picks to succeed, that isn’t reasonable.
  • We have come to some kind of conclusion about a line in the sand and agree to it (the Cullen grades).

Cullen’s numbers suggest a third-round selection has a 27.3% chance of playing 100 NHL games. Notable Oilers picks from the third round this century include Zack Stortini (297 NHL games), Danny Syvret (59 NHL games), Theo Peckham (160 NHL games).

OILERS THIRD ROUND 2008-15

• 2008: No second-round selections (Kevin Lowe)
  • 2009: Troy Hesketh (Steve Tambellini)
  • 2009: Cameron Abney (Steve Tambellini)
  • 2010: Ryan Martindale (Steve Tambellini)
  • 2011: Samu Perhonen (Steve Tambellini)
  • 2011: Travis Ewanyk (Steve Tambellini)
  • 2012: Jujhar Khaira (Steve Tambellini)
  • 2012: Daniil Zharkov (Steve Tambellini)
  • 2013: Bogdan Yakimov (Craig MacTavish)
  • 2013: Anton Slepyshev (Craig MacTavish)

The Tambellini era of third-round selections is incredible. On draft day, the only players with enough offensive spark to be considered actual prospects were Ryan Martindale and Daniil Zharkov and the goalie wasn’t good enough to sign. A tall tree in a Minnesota high school, an enforcer, a goalie and two checkers who couldn’t score in junior or college. That’s a lot of risk for picks well inside No. 100 overall. Again, I always thought the third round was the real dead zone.

2015 SUMMER (NHL GAMES)

1. Bogdan Yakimov 1

That’s about right. Steve Tambellini’s third-round selections have yet to play an NHL game.

ARROWS

• “It’s over” arrows: Troy Hesketh, Cameron Abney, Ryan Martindale, Samu Perhonen
  • Bad arrows: Travis Ewanyk (since traded), Jujhar Khaira, Daniil Zharkov
  • Lukewarm arrows:
  • Good arrows: Bogdan Yakimov, Anton Slepyshev
  • Very good arrows:

ONE BY ONE

• D Troy Hesketh: 47 players who have played in the NHL were chosen after Hesketh, who had size and there were rumors that New Jersey was interested in taking him. The most frustrating pick of the MacGregor era because there was still real value on the board.
  • R Cameron Abney: 39  players who have played in the NHL were chosen after Abney, who was a fighter in the WHL. He hurt his hand after draft day but remains in the system (Bakersfield this season) on a minor league contract. More successful selection than Hesketh, as Abney played 18 AHL games. The second most frustrating pick of the MacGregor era, there was no way this was going to bring value from the moment the selection was made.
  • C Ryan Martindale: Peaked in the AHL (180 games and counting) and he has enjoyed some success (14 points in 19 games with Syracuse at the end of the 2014-15 season). The pick seemed a reasonable bet on draft day, 40 players who have played in the NHL were chosen after Martindale.
  • G Samu Perhonen: Finnish goalie didn’t show much in the two years after his draft, but recovered in the SM-Liiga this past season and could have a career (.911SP). 33 players chosen after Perhonen have played in the NHL. 33 players chosen after Perhonen have played in the NHL.
  • C Travis Ewanyk: He was partial payment for Steve Staios (it was Aaron Johnson and the pick used on Ewanyk) and if he could score even a little more Ewanyk might have a career. He was a very good shutdown center in junior and played on some very good (and famous) WHL teams. Has played 137 AHL games and his offense (20 points) during those contests highlight the issue for Ewanyk. 28 players chosen after Ewanyk have played in the NHL.
  • C Jujhar Khaira: Big, strong center who has the same issue as Ewanyk. Khaira’s AHL point-per-game average (.196) is better than Ewanyk’s (.145) in the same league but this is a prospect in trouble because of offense. 12 players chosen after Khaira have played in the NHL so far.
  • L Daniil Zharkov: Big strong Russian winger famous for saying he’d be better than Nail Yakupov on draft day (it was funny, not meant to be a diss). He bolted for the KHL and played a full season there in 2013-14, but played only nine in Russia’s best league last season and played most of the year at lower Russian levels. The odds of Edmonton fans seeing Zharkov play in front of them as an Oiler is not high. Nine players chosen after Zharkov have played in the NHL.
  • C Bogdan Yakimov: Easily a better prospect than any in the Tambellini era, Yakimov is a load on skates and he can move pretty well. His NA debut was spent in the AHL (the one game in the NHL aside) and he posted .491 points-per-game at that level. His productivity spiked after the Lander callup and we should look for a good season in Bakersfield. Four players chosen after Yakimov have played an NHL game, as has the Russian. 26 players from the 2013 draft have played in an NHL game, two of them Oilers.
  • L Anton Slepyshev: Scoring winger had a breakout season in the KHL and is headed to North America. His 15 goals in 58 KHL games represents bona fide ability and his presence on the training camp roster should not be overlooked. Three players chosen after Slepyshev have played in the NHL.

55 Responses to "THE THIRD ROUND (2015 EDITION)"

1. stush18 says:

I’m very excited about slepyshev. I think he could make be the one to make a lot of noise at training camp, and force his way into the starting roster.

While the khl isn’t the nhl, it’s still a mans league, and he was playing very well in the second half of it.

2. AZOIL says:

LT,

Great stuff, you get my hockey deprived self through the summers down here in the hottest place on earth!

3. Ducey says:

Dang it if Abney isnt back in the system. I had not heard that.

Ewanyk likely will emerge someday as a 4th line C.

4. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“33 players chosen after Perhonen have played in the NHL. 33 players chosen after Perhonen have played in the NHL.”

That stings, LT 😉

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ducey:
    Dang it if Abney isnt back in the system. I had not heard that.

Ewanyk likely will emerge someday as a 4th line C.

That league, just like the others needs to entertain the peanut gallery that likes seeing big things collide. I don’t have a problem with Abney punching ECHL faces for the Oilers.

For Ewanyk… I think he’ll have a lot of trouble securing a second NHL deal let alone playing in the NHL… but, you never know!

(and expansion and cap addled teams are around the corner!)

Romulus Apotheosis:

That stings, LT

I wanted to get the point across!!!!

7. Yeti says:

Ducey: Ewanyk likely will emerge someday as a 4th line C.

Are we talking AHL?

8. Yeti says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Abney was fighting (literally) in the ECHL for the Oilers last year on a minor league deal. Hardly in the system.

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Yeti: Dammit, Rom – he’s an emerging powerforward. He’ll be playing shotgun on McDavid’s wing in no time.

You kid… but that’s what they (well, DVD) fucking, actually said:

“At six-foot-four, 192 pounds, Abney has all the tools to be an effective power forward.”

10. fifthcartel says:

I find it mildly interesting they converted Abney to defense in the ECHL.

Either way, don’t draft forwards with single-digit point totals in their draft year, let alone the third round.

11. Ryan says:

Sorry to carry this discussion from the previous thread.

GMoney’s writing a textbook on how to utilize logical fallacies to create an argument. 🙂

G Money: I quite enjoy our debates, they force me to up my game. But I also think you’re irritated because you know you’re wrong.

That’s just a non-sequitur.

There is a very modest amount of concrete evidence to work with here. So my approach is to take a balance-of-evidence approach. His age. His progression. His AHL history. His WHC. His actual NHL performance, including fancystats, seen-im-goods, and usage (I’ve provided the details before, I won’t this time).
    All of which together have some down arrows and some (more) up arrows.
    Based on this balance of evidence, it’s pretty reasonable to think Lander will again be (with perhaps some modest improvement) what he was last year. And that’s what I think.
    To reiterate, based on a combination of: Age. Progression. Visuals. Fancystats. AHL. WHC. NHL. Not any one, because no one or two of them provide a compelling argument one way or the other. More up arrows than down arrows. Balance of evidence.
    You are claiming that he’ll be in for a major downturn. You need to supply evidence for this, not I.
    You’ve articulated the down arrows – I acknowledge them, but in my estimation they are both small and weak. The PP issue is relevant, but assumes that his role (which by observation was high and significant and should be required next year) will disappear. The 2nd assist calculation is a ratio of tiny numbers and IMO not valid demonstration of anything at all.
    You can disagree with that, but all you’ve done is complain about my wall of text (which refutes your assertions quite handily I would say), and also haven’t provided anything additional in support of the “downturn” side, other than pointing out that downturns have happened before.

This is just a long-winded reiteration of your opinion. Proof by assertion.

G Money: You’ve also ignored the up arrows. Much of that data is subjective, yes, this is true. But the AHL equivalencies (flawed as they are) are not subjective, and I would suggest they are at least as valid as any counterpoints you’ve raise.

Again, proof by assertion.

NHLE’s can be useful to estimate a range of point production for players from various leagues.

All it gives you is an average conversion factor that has limited predictive value in predicting the production of individual players. Actual production of individual players in one league to the next is actually quite variable.

There’s also a body of work that suggests that that a 20 year olds AHL production will carrying with him more so than a 24 year olds, for example.

G Money: NHL points aren’t subjective either.

No, but they do vary from year to year.

In 2013-14, Taylor Hall Had 80 pts in 75 games.

He led the Oilers with 1.02 second assists/60

Guess who led the league that year in second assists/ 60?

Yup, Taylor Hall.

The following year, he had 0.5 second assists/60

The year prior, he had 0.45

G Money: That said, whatever stance you have (agree or disagree), I *will* call out faulty reasoning or misleading statistics where I see them.

I too will call out faulty reasoning where I see it too my friend.

That’s the thing. We’re not even in the same conversation because you’re not addressing anything I am actually saying.

12. Oilanderp says:

Gord damn you, Teddy Peckman.

Does anyone hold out hope for Khaira? I think his AHL season was low for what we might expect from him in the minors, but even if he spikes one wonders if there’s enough.

14. Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker) says:

This is why I love walkabout. You can’t get players like abney by trading a 3rd round pick. You have to draft and develop them.

Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker):

Haha. Wins the thread.

16. Oilanderp says:

Isn’t Khaira playing on the 4th line with the Petrell brothers? Surely in his 2 mins ice time per game he could do something more….

17. Yeti says:

Romulus Apotheosis: You kid… but that’s what they (well, DVD) fucking, actually said:

I remember that quote and post-draft discussion well. Painfully well.

18. elphy101 says:

I really struggle with quantifying a draft’s results based on games played. I’m not sure it adds much meaning. At the end of the day the draft should be judged on impact players no matter what round.

The thing I love about baseball is the ability to quantify a replacement level player. Drafting someone that makes the NHL but can be easily replaced with a 500-900K free agent signing, doesn’t materially impact a team’s success in my opinion. Drafting above replacement level is the only thing that should be measured.

Using 2009 as an example; Its stated that 47 players drafted after Troy Hesketh/Cameron Abney.

In reviewing that list, I see the following as above replacement level;
    1) Cody Eakin
    2) Craig Smith
    3) Mattias Ekholm
    4) Marcus Foligno
    5) Sami Vatanan
    6) Mike Hoffman
    7) Marcus Kruger
    8) Anders Lee

In 2010; 40 players have played after Ryan Martindale, I see three above replacement players;
    1) John Kingberg
    2) Brendan Gallagher
    3) Mark Stone

The rest of the drafts still need more time as they are not 5 years out.

Pretty crazy draft odds, if you look at roughly the 290 picks made over the two drafts after the Oilers, first 3rd round pick, there were 11 above replacement level players (in my estimation). Basically 3.7% of the players chosen have proven to be above replacement level players.

Its interesting to think about better quantifying replacement level players. It would need to be developed using a combination of GP, TOI/G, points and some type of team adjusted corsi but that still would be wildly inaccurate i think.

19. oliveoilers says:

Ryan: Sorry to carry this discussion from the previous thread.

But you’re going to do it anyway?

Next will be “he effin’ started it.”

All it needs now is for DSF to show up and state that the Oilers were idiots and should have somehow drafted Datsyuk and Zetterberg and watch the thread implode.

20. elphy101 says:

To ask the question in another way;

Does drafting Scott Ferguson have any more of an impact on a team’s success than drafting Cameron Abney. Even though Scott exceeded 200 GP I don’t think it does. You can sign an equivalent replacement player as a free agent for almost nothing in today’s Salary Cap era.

21. stush18 says:

oliveoilers:
    All it needs now is for He Who Must Not Be Named to show up

It’s like they say, don’t say his name.

22. Yeti says:

Ryan: Sorry to carry this discussion from the previous thread.

It’s ok, we understand the need to prove who has the bigger stats. 😉 Corsis at dawn!

23. Hammers says:

Painfully wait from Yeti is so appropriate . I look at Tambos list and laugh, hope and cry . McT list ,only 2 but both should make it and probably before all of Tambos 7 picks . No matter the other choices have time on there side but I’m hoping both of the Russians make it .

24. oliveoilers says:

stush18: It’s like they say, don’t say his name.

Dang it! But I wasn’t stood in front of a mirror and I only said it once!……He’s right behind me, isn’t he……

25. Yeti says:

elphy101:
    To ask the question in another way;

Ferguson was undrafted, right? Whereas Abney went in the 3rd damned round.

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

elphy101:
    To ask the question in another way;

It’s not about individuals and their individual NHL impact.

It’s about the process you use that leads to make what are at the time and on the face of it unreasonable bets.

elphy101:
    To ask the question in another way;

As for Ferguson, he made the NHL and played his role well enough to compete in a significant number of games. I’d say that has value and it kept chris Hajt (among others) out of the NHL and those men most certainly were aware of Scott Ferguson.

28. HiddenDarts says:

I believe Ricki of the Bear Kingdom had noted that Khaira was good (and can score) with actual players, and bad with non players (Moroz and Ewanyk). He even posted the p/60 as proof.

Sadly, the non-Ewanyk sample was incredibly small.

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think his size will give him a longer look than he probably deserves.

He strikes me as a guy that needs a champion on the coaching staff. Someone to find him some PP time and give him more to chew on.

30. G Money says:

Ryan,

oliveoilers: This is getting a bit “no, YOU are!” Leading to “I’m not touching you – Mom make him stop!”
    Next will be “he effin’ started it.”

Fun times!

Here is my meta-version of the conversation. Ryan, if you want to continue the loop, just pick your next response to repeat and then assume I’ve responded in kind. Thanks!

———————-

Ryan: You guys who think Lander might do OK next year are way overrating him! Lander will do way lousier next year! Here are two weak data points to indicate why!

G: Uh, no, that’s faulty reasoning. Those data points: one is legitimate and one is mostly nonsense. Plus there are actually more data points (albeit also weak) indicating he’ll be as good or better year next year. Here’s five of them. You can’t just choose the two that you think support your point and ignore the rest. There’s no absolutely compelling data point either way, but that’s *especially* true on the down side. Based on the balance of evidence, you’re in shaky territory if you conclude anything other than next year will be “probably more of the same, possibly better”.

Ryan: No, YOUR points are weak! And you write too much! And you’re irritating!

G: Um, what? I’m irritating you because your data is weak, your logic is faulty and your conclusions are unsupported. I just said: all the points we can use to assess Lander are weak. But there’s more of them on the up side than the down side. To reiterate: here are all seven points. The down side points are weaker than the up side points, and there are fewer of them. Balance of evidence.

Ryan: No, YOUR points are weak! And you’re just repeating them! And you haven’t addressed any of my points!

G: I’ve addressed ALL your points. If that’s not clear, it may be because you don’t really have any supportable points. THAT’s the point. Now here’s a meta-conversation about what we just talked about! If you want to continue the loop, just pick your next repeated response point and then assume I’ve responded in kind. Thanks!

———————-

Now, what was this thread about? Oh yeah, the draft!

Go Draft!

31. Walter Gretzkys Neighbour says:

Ok so I’ve been away. The buyout window has closed then has it or is that tomorrow?

I’ve always had the impression that the Oilers were pretty shaky at the whole draft & develop business. These last couple of articles seem to suggest I was not wrong on that….

Eek. Here’s hoping thing improve going forward.

32. G Money says:

I don’t know if anyone follows Muneeb Alam (he’s at Columbia I think) … he posts these interesting cumulative net career shot attempts charts for players.

This is Pavel Datsyuk’s chart.

It is sick. Just sick.

@muneebalamcu https://twitter.com/muneebalamcu/status/622935827497119749/photo/1 this is hilariously good. I need to fix scale setting algorithm.— Muneeb Alam (@muneebalamcu) July 20, 2015

33. spoiler says:

LT said…

Again, I always thought the third round was the real dead zone.

Wow. No kidding. Especially laid out like this. I suppose the Martindale, Zharkov bets are somewhat defensible, but until those MacT selections, Tambo sure was feasting on a dog’s breakfast.

Moar biggerer!!!

I don’t mind if the draft team strikes out more than Babe Ruth, but you had better park a few home runs while you’re doing it. And you don’t do it by picking guys who can’t score in Junior. Doesn’t mean there aren’t late-bloomers. But get’em when they bloom.

Okay that’s enough frappe-ing of metaphors for one post.

Khaira…

I think Rom’s right that his size will generate a little more patience than we might normally see. But here is another guy that could have used more TOI with players that can actually not beat a puck square. Can that maybe happen this year so we can make an educated decision on this prospect? Yes? Thanks.

34. Oilanderp says:

Where can i find a list of ahl-only deals the oilers have signed?

35. 719 says:

I think with Khaira’s size, he might be a better winger than centre. Maybe put him Yakimov and Slepyshev together and make a line of 3rd round picks.

Oilanderp:
    Where can i find a list of ahl-onlydeals the oilers have signed?

All but two are listed in the AHL roster in this post

Matt Ford, Nick Pageau aren’t included, and I have Connor and Kellen Jones had signed for next season but now can’t find to confirm. Hope that helps!

37. Mr DeBakey says:

“Notable Oilers picks from the third round this century include Zack Stortini (297 NHL games), Danny Syvret (59 NHL games), Theo Peckham (160 NHL games).”

After last night’s thread I went on a stroll through the intertubes.
    Looked at the Oiler picks on Hockey DB.
    Saw one of my old favourites Milan Kytnar had a good 14-15 season for Banska Bystrica, scoring 20 goals.
    I noticed that for a short while Theo Peckham was one of his team mates. Peckham played 5 games in Slovakia and 26 games in the ECHL last winter. This is the same T Peckham who paired with Tommy Gilbert against the other team’s best for the Oilers not so long ago. Poor Gilbert.
    Another of Kytnar’s team mates for for 32 games was Center Patrick White. White was chosen 25th overall by Vancouver in the 2007 draft [one spot ahead of David Perron]. White had 14 goals for Banska Bystrica. He also played 26 games for Bratislava in the KHL; he had 0 points, no goals, no assists.

I was surprised to see one young Slovak player had signed for 15-16 with a team in Kazakhstan. I didn’t know Kazakhstan had a league!
    They do so; a 10-team league. They play a 54-game schedule. One team, Torpedo Ust-Kamenogorsk, had 53 losses and 1 OTW in 14-15. I think Steve Tambellini is their GM.
    Last season there were 33 Slovaks earning a living in the Kazakhstan Hockey League, including Boris Valabik. Mr Valabik was drafted 10th overall by Atlanta in 2003.

38. spoiler says:

G Money,

Dammit, man. I read that comment fourteen times before the phone rang and I was able to escape.

Next time, please include an off ramp.
    😉

39. elphy101 says:

Lowetide: A team has 23 roster spots and 19 or 20 skaters play each game. The GP has a value and it is significant. The mere fact a player appears in an NHL game for a team holds value. If we were evaluating just forwards, then I’m with you that using other metrics would apply. We’re not, and GP, as flawed as it is, works.

Let me take a different angle on this statement. In a world where Toronto can pick up, quality possession players like;
    1) PA Parenteau-1.5M
    2) Shawn Mattias-2.3M
    3) Marc Arcobello-1.1M
    4) Matt Huntwick- 1.2M
    5) TJ Breenan-600K
    6) Daniel Winnik-2.2M

Basically 6 reasonable quality replacement level players for 8.9M, does drafting replacement level players effect team success?
    Using the NHL GP metric on the 2009 draft, the next 5 players that played an NHL GP are;
    1) Michael Latta (Nsh)
    2) Alexander Urbom (NJ)
    3) Andrej Nestrasil (Det)
    4) Matt Hackett (Min)
    5) Kevin Connauton (Van)

Shouldn’t we only be worried about players that will have a bigger impact than the UFA”s listed above? I’m don’t see any value to a club that drafted any of the above instead of Troy Hesketh.

Impact players are all that matter.

40. Younger Oil says:

While I don’t think Khaira will be an NHL player, I think he has the best chance of all of our prospects to fill the Hendricks/Klinkhammer/13th forward role. Probably has the best defensive acumen of all of our forward prospects.

I wouldn’t be hugely surprised if our bottom 6 in a couple of years is:

Yakimov-Lander-Slepyshev
    Khaira-Letestu-Chase

41. Curcro says:

Yeti,

I have the biggest STATS – see all CAPS, so I win.

42. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

I remember a time when Khaira was judged to be one of the top forward prospects in the system. 5th overall of all Oiler prospects in LT’s Top 20 List (Winter 2013).

Absolutely a reflection of the times, but he didn’t get there by accident. Red Line had him as a sleeper pick. His results at Michigan Tech were very solid (though not great) for an 18 year old out of the BCHL. Everett played a stifling defensive system.

I think there’s more to Khaira than we saw in OKC last year, and would like to see him in more of a feature role. He won’t ever be a top 6 option in the NHL, but there is talent and a good set of tools there.

43. Richard S.S. says:

The latest Buyout window for the Oilers expires around 12 Noon Eastern. Anything happening on that front will be known by Lowetide as he arrives to do his Radio Show and will be the Topic Of Discussion. It might be available on other minor sites, like TSN and Sportsnet, before that time. I think it’s possible Chiarelli doesn’t need the Window.

Best use of the Cap suggests Bonus monies won’t be carried over to the next year, but accounted for during the current year. That suggests Buyouts might not be best use of the Cap. Logic then suggest that at least one Trade (maybe more) is in the works. Chiarelli’s not done, but I don’t have anything more to go with that thought.

Considering how bad the Oilers’ drafting has been, it’s no wonder this Team has been as bad as it is. The cream of the crop is 3 known NHL-ready Players. Everyone else is one full step or more down and not shining brightly. Chiarelli’s work is cut out for him. He has a much better team to work with, but a much worse minor system.

Edmonton owns the Bakersfield Condors (AHL) team, so they have control over the development of their players. Considering a lot of their draft picks have to go back to Junior, is it worth buying one Western Junior team and one Eastern Junior team to get that same control?

44. Brad says:

Despite poor numbers, yes, I do. As was stated earlier, Ricki has posted some small sample numbers that show him much better when playing up the lineup, and dammit he looks like a player whenever I see him (rookie tourneys, last preseason).

45. AsiaOil says:

I don’t expect anything until the last minute. Chia is likely trying to trade Ference with as little salary retained as possible. Who ever wants him – if anyone – would likely be happier dealing with him as a free agent. So that type of negotiation usually goes down to the wire to see who blinks first. As I’ve said multiple times – just can’t see a way that Ference and his $3.25 million works on the 3rd pair or PB – and he sure as hell isn’t a top 4 dman anymore. Buyout seems only reasonable option.

Richard S.S.:
    The latest Buyout window for the Oilers expires around 12 Noon Eastern.Anything happening on that front will be known by Lowetide as he arrives to do his Radio Show and will be the Topic Of Discussion.It might be available on other minor sites, like TSN and Sportsnet, before that time.I think it’s possible Chiarelli doesn’t need the Window.

46. RexLibris says:

LT, did you pay Someone We All Know for this service?

What a retirement gig!

RexLibris:
    LT, did you pay Someone We All Know for this service?

What a retirement gig!

No but that’s fabulous.

48. Магия 10 says:

RexLibris:
    LT, did you pay Someone We All Know for this service?

What a retirement gig!

“Mrs. Wyatt. There’s a madman on the roof. You’d better call the police to get some marksman over here. Shoot him off. Shoot to kill”

49. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Leaked: LT’s balance image: http://i.imgur.com/PimH6RO.gif

50. Numenius says:

I think Khaira still has a chance at the NHL.

Being on a checking line in the AHL hindered his point production.

Interesting that in the AHL playoffs, he was 8, 3-1-4 (0.5 ppg), much better than his 0.2 ppg in the regular season.

It’s a small sample size, but that makes me think he has Adam Lowry potential. Lowry was 0.5 ppg in his AHL reg season (and only 17, 2-3-5 (0.294 ppg) in the playoffs) and went on to have a nice NHL season this last year. They’re also similar sized players, suited for similar roles.

51. Richard S.S. says:

Numenius:

Numenius says:

July 19, 2015 at 11:53 pm

I think Khaira still has a chance at the NHL

If ,and only if the right people saw his postseason and think to try him on a scoring line, then maybe, but only maybe he gets a chance. If not, chances are remote, unless he gets lucky .

Richard S.S.: If ,and only if the right people saw his postseason and think to try him on a scoring line, then maybe, but only maybe he gets a chance.If not, chances are remote, unless he gets lucky .

Fleming is the coach next year and he’ll have some hammer talent coming in. Khaira getting PP time is probably his best chance to hit 30 points. That’s a distant bell at this point.

53. Pouzar says:

So No buyouts.

I wonder what Chia has up his sleeve before opening night.
    Shirly he isn’t finished?!?!?!

54. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Really, those last 4 bets are all solid. Perhaps not the mathematically perfect bet at each spot, but each pick represented a player with reasonable potential given the draft position. Obviously not all of them have worked out (though I contend only Zharkov has really tapped out) but, in the long run, if we keep making 3rd round bets like that I’ll be happy.

55. pts2pndr says:

I think he has a chance if he is put with the right line mates and given the correct opportunity, Much is made of Landers emergence but I would submit that it was due to getting to play centre not wing and with line mates of Nhl calibre talent. Khaira always seems to play better higher up n the lineup and I think it has a lot to do with quality of line mates.