RE 15-16 ANTON LANDER: SECONDARY MODERN

Anton Lander finally found a home in the NHL—but there are still rapids to negotiate. He is signed to a value contract and appears to be a lock for opening night—finally!—and a role inside the top 9F. With the caveat that things can change in a hurry, and there’s heaven and hell in the NHL, surely Anton Lander is part of the Edmonton Oilers future.

ANTON LANDER 13-14

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.21 (16th among forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil
  • Qual Comp: 13th toughest competition among regulars (fourth line)
  • Qual Team: 9th best competition among regulars (third line)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 43.9
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: -.2
  • Zone Start: 40% (6th toughest on the team among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: nil
  • Boxcars: 27, 0-1-1

ANTON LANDER 14-15

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.60 (5th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 5.52 (2nd among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 13th toughest competition among regulars (fourth line)
  • Qual Team: 12th best competition among regulars (fourth line)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 48.6
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: 5.2
  • Zone Start: 49.4%
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 61 shots/9.8%
  • Boxcars: 38, 6-14-20

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

lander vollmanRE 14-15 REVIEW

lander black

RE 15-16: 75GP, 12-15-27 .360

1. This RE is decidedly low. In order to predict 40 points for Lander, I’d have to project three scoring lines as reasonable. I honestly don’t believe the Oilers are there, although there are some formidable talents in the organization.
  2. It’s still low. I’m hedging bets, you’ll find that to be a theme from here to the end of the forward RE. We spent a lot of at-bats with the top players.
  3. Still, Lander is third-line center. Mark Letestu may have something to say about that and I imagine Leon will be along directly, but I agree the Swede has a job waiting for him this fall and a great opportunity to establish himself as an NHL player.
  4. Lander established himself with Todd Nelson. Yes he did, but there’s a new coach in town and Todd McLellan may feel Leon Draisaitl is ready, or that Mark Letestu is more effective as 3C. Lander is bona fide but he isn’t clearly established in my opinion.
  5. Come the hell on. I have Lander as the 3line center but this could go another way in my opinion. He could build trust with the new coach and last a decade, or might be gone by Christmas. Remember, Lander was on waivers last fall, available for nothing.
  6. I think you’re underestimating Lander’s 2014-15 season. He played extremely well, and then he played a major role at the World Championships. However, coaches see things their way. Pat Quinn had J-F Jacques on the top line opening night 2009-10 with Horcoff and Hemsky (with Gagner on the 4line with Moreau).
  7. You have Lander lining up with Yakupov? Yeah, Yakupov or Purcell, depending on how things roll there. He scored 2.07 5×5/60 with Purcell in about 86 minutes and of course Purcell is a veteran who can play either wing.
  8. Who do you like for LW? I’d like Leon Draisaitl but that blasted bonus issue is a real concern. Purcell—Lander—Yakupov isn’t the worst possible idea, but of course one of those guys is probably playing 2line. Korpikoski is also in the mix, Hendricks too although offense may be an issue with both veterans.
  9. Was there ever a sense Lander was part of MacT’s long term plan? Sure. MacT: “Much like Chicago’s got where they have three lines of offensive guys and a fourth line that can play against anybody. That’s what we’d really like to do. We need (Anton) Lander to step up and (Mark) Arcobello, or add a free-agent forward or two who can compete for those jobs. Maybe somebody who could come in and be a good fit with Yak (Nail Yakupov on the third line). We have the first line (Hall, Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle). If we can draft a guy at centre who can play, then we’d have that guy, Perron and Sam or some form of that.”
  10. Sounds like they’re in the same place this year. Well, no. They have Connor McDavid and four other elements (Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Pouliot) that appear certain. I’m betting that Teddy Purcell and Nail Yakupov lock in a life and death struggle for the No. 6 spot in the order, and now we’re at the 3line—the last really important jobs among the forwards. And 3C is the most important job in that group.
  11. If Lander can’t win that job, is it over? No, he could land as 3L or in a utility role similar to the one Marty Reasoner occupied so successfully while an Oiler. Lander is a talented player, there’s some concern about his bat but he can help for sure and he’s absolutely a value contract in my opinion. Hell, maybe he spends some time centering one of the top two lines with McDavid moving to wing. He does have a nice range of skills. Love this kind of player.
  12. If that’s true, why the ‘if he makes it’ angle? Part of RE is figuring out the most logical roster configuration. The Oilers have just signed Mark Letestu to a $1.8 million (per year), three-year deal. Did they do it with the intention of having him as the 4C, the 3C, or playing a utility role? Ciphering his role is a factor in establishing Lander’s.
  13. And then there’s Leon? Yes, an even more substantial factor moving forward, as the top 3C’s could be McDavid—Nuge—Draisaitl by season’s end. I think that plays into Lander’s hands pretty well though, as he’ll be the only inexpensive C and he can PK, be a part of the PP and is an effective player at evens.
  14. The Vollman has him in no man’s land. Lander played the minutes given and they were softer but not butter soft, and 1.60 is a pretty decent number 5×5/60 based on where he was in the order and his linemates.
  15. Did Lander do enough? I think he did, yes. He should get a chance to show well this fall and he’s certainly a talented hockey player. The questions I have about him are twofold: Is there enough offense for him to keep the 3C job, and does he get some power-play time in what is now an extremely deep group of candidates.
  16. What is your answer? No to the power play but I do think he hangs on to the 3C job (Letestu might jump up but Lander will be in the mix for the third line all year).
  17. Lander is too good for the AHL, can we agree? He had a splendid time down there for sure. His boxcars (29GP, 9-22-31) were terrific, he was 23-15 GF-GA ON 5×5, and his points-per-60 was 2.74 last season in OKC. These numbers are all via Eric Rodgers of Tend the Farm and Sin Bin Oilers. I’ll have a post up tomorrow on Rodgers’ splendid work and we’ll talk on the Lowdown Monday at 10:25 about the season in OKC.
  18. So in summary he makes the team as 3C but there’s a chance he plays another role? Yes. My RE is based on him playing most of the season in the 3C role but also getting less power-play time than last season (he got 2:03 per game as an Oiler in 2014-15). I can’t see him getting that kind of time, although it would be fabulous to see.
  19. Why? The worry for Lander is offense. If he can pull down some boxcars (4-3-7 on the PP last season) and make himself useful in that area, we’ll have an established two-way center who can do a lot of the work Shawn Horcoff was doing a decade ago. That’s an extremely valuable player.
  20. Does he have that in him? I don’t know that he has the offense, but he’s a solid bet to cover the rest. Anton Lander, once he improved his skating, has been deployed in a lot of roles by pretty much every coach past Renney (who loved him so much in a specific role that he kept him—a silly thing to do) because he earned trust.
  21. Is he MacGregor’s best second-round pick? I had Marincin as top pick from that round 2008-14 until last season but would have to say Lander’s impressive year puts him ahead. If the Swede can fill that important role at center, the 2009 draft will have delivered a very important piece.
  22. Why this song? Secondary moderns were schools (in England) for kids who didn’t get the highest marks. You had to be in the top 25% of marks to avoid it, and the secondary moderns ran from the end of the war through the 1970’s. God love the English, they love dividing everything into different classes.
  23. Okay, before I get really mad, can you explain why this applies to Lander? Well, Anton doesn’t belong in the top 25% offensively in this generation of Oilers, so he’s a secondary modern. I think he’s a fairly complete player that aside but the lack of offense keeps him from playing on a skill line and getting the good foolscap.
  24. McDavid and Nuge also make it difficult. Oh yeah, for sure. This is a ridiculous team at center now, just silly. I’d rather have Anton Lander than a bunch of center’s we’ve seen come here this century. I would only sound a small caution in regard to assuming things will run smoothly from now on. Marc Pouliot was in this same spot in 2009 summer and it didn’t work for him. There’s still some danger here.
  25. Lander is a more mature player than Pouliot. I tend to agree (remember the MacT ‘Carbonneau’ verbal?) but it’s worth keeping in mind as the summer stretches and we head to fall. Edmonton is very close to solving a legit roster need with a player drafted outside the first round. They’ve fumbled and bumbled but were unable to derail the steel jawed Swede with leadership abilities. I’m cheering like hell for him.
  26. Are you betting he wins the day? The RE says yes, save the power-play minutes.

76 Responses to "RE 15-16 ANTON LANDER: SECONDARY MODERN"

On the Lowdown, 10 this morning TSN1260.

Darrin Bauming, TSN 1290. Blue Bombers remain an interesting team.
    Rod Pedersen, SportsCage. The Roughriders are having a terrible season of injuries.
    Andy Eide, 710 ESPN Seattle. We talk Ethan Bear.

10-1260 text @Lowetide on twitter

2. dustrock says:

This is a team who was running Boyd Gordon on the PP to try to win a faceoff.

3. Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons says:

LT,

Perhaps I missed it but why only 65gp?
    Press box?
    Bakersfield?
    Injury?

4. Stanley 2018 says:

I have a sense of optimism with Lander. Don’t think he’ll be a top 6 scoring forward, but my personal theme song for him is Billy Idol’s Rebel Yell: “More More More.” McDavid will probably have stolen that song by October 17th, but for now Lander, “More More More.”

5. Bank Shot says:

I think he’ll be lucky to hit 29 points if he players the entire 82 games.

Everything went right for Lander offensively last season.

I doubt it lines up for him again this year.

6. OilSafety says:

Very happy with Landers performance last season. I’m confident he grabs the opportunity again this season.

I also think his leadership ability is underrated, could be a big part of him succeeding as an Oiler. I ran in to him just before training camp last year and he came across as calm but eager to succeed. He was also quick to note that the city deserves more success from this team. I approached the conversation positively but he seems well aware of the struggles of oilers fandom.

Unrelated, amazing article by Jonathan quick about goaltending out there. Eye opening commentary. Love how he wraps it up pointing out that the most successful team in today’s game isn’t succeeding with size. Ironic coming from the kings goaltender.

7. sportsjunkie007 says:

Looking ahead to the 2016-17 season our strength at center gets even better. McDavid-RNH-Draisaitl-Lander. That’s a pretty insane group at center, especially compared to what we’ve been seeing there for the last several years.

8. slopitch says:

Im cheering for Lander. Id be more then happy if he sticks and is 3C, 3L split with Drai. Lander, Drai, Yak could be a VERY good 3rd line.

I could also see Lander+2016 1st going to a team with a good dman available (since Chai isnt done). Lander has a ton of value with his contract. Hello David Poille.

9. Pouzar says:

Bank Shot: I think its a pretty far cry to expect Lander to score any where near last season’s pace. I think he’ll be lucky to hit 29 points if he players the entire 82 games. Everything went right for Lander offensively last season. I doubt it lines up for him again this year.

Not sure everything “went right” so much as everything “went wrong” in the past and by comparison it looks unsustainable. My eyes and bias tell me Lander has underrated puck possession/protection skills in the offensive zone, is an excellent passer and obviously isn’t afraid to go the tough areas to score. There’s a lot to love here.

10. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Don’t let those polisongers get too long, Anton.

Nielsen is 3C in terms of 5v5 TOI and takes on the toughs.

He’s also 1PK.

Before you think I’m on glue, consider this:

In those two years he also put up 0.80pts/gm in 102 AHL games.

In the last two years Lander:

Played 75 AHL games putting up 83pts for 1.10pts/gm

That would be an amazing outcome for the Oilers.

** Actually Nielsen flourished after Ted Nolan was fired.

May be something to that. Maybe not.

12. Bag of Pucks says:

Not an Elvis Costello fan but the song is definitely appropriate.

My favorite Costello related quote came from David Lee Roth who once said, “Music journalists love Elvis Costello and hate me because music journalists look like Elvis Costello.”

Always thought the most impressive thing Costello ever did was marry Diana Krall. That woman is a sexy beast.

13. Ducey says:

dustrock: LT – wonder if McLellan watches tape from last year with Nelson and sees how Lander was utilized on the PP (usually in front of the net). 1.60 5v5/60 is pretty good, and (laughably) 5th best of the forwards! The PP number was just behind Eberle.My concern is still that, despite all the potential weapons EDM has for a McLellan PP, Todd doesn’t have Big Joe, Little Joe, Marleau and Couture to take the faceoffs. This is a team who was running Boyd Gordon on the PP to try to win a faceoff.I expect we’ll see once again, the Oilers having to establish possession on the PP after the defensive team dumps it out after a successful faceoff win.

The math says it doesn’t matter much.

a) PP faceoff % is higher than a players overall faceoff percentage – so we are looking at least 50% wins regardless of the C.
    b) a 5% difference in faceoff percentage over 400 faceoffs is 20 faceoffs.
    c) Boyd Gordon had 1200 faceoffs last year. He was at 55.9%. Letestu was at 52.9% Lander was at 50.1% Nuge was at 45.7%
    d) Joe Thornton was at 58%

I don’t seem to be able to find PP FO% numbers but generally, depending upon deployment, we are looking at maybe one extra PP faceoff loss every game (or every second game) compared to SJ.

Is that significant?

14. RexLibris says:

Woodguy,

I wondered about the Nielsen comp last year but didn’t want to say anything for fear of jinxing it.

I still believe that would be a very optimistic outcome to expect, but have to admit that it as least within the realm of possibility.

15. russ99 says:

I still like Korkiposki – Letestu – Purcell as the third line. Probably our best veteran two way line that we’ve had since Pisani was here.

That said I’d love to see Lander used on a more evenly distriubuted minutes 4th line with some combination of Hendricks, Pitlick, Pakarinen, Klinkhammer or Gazdic to find some the the old Glencross – Brodziak – Stortini magic.

16. Hammers says:

Lander & Hall ; McDavid & Pouliot ; Nuge & Ebs with Yak Purcell and Leo filling out the lines . I would love it . Crazy maybe but still love the idea .

17. PaperKurtRussell says:

I’m glad that we don’t appear to have any players for which “one night in bangkok” would be an appropriate tune. I’m looking at you LA Kings…

18. Hammers says:

Hammers:

That line up would make other coaches wonder who to concentrate on especially on the road .

19. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: I hope Lander is turning into one of my favorite players – Frans Nielsen of the Isles.He sure is starting to remind me of Nielsen with his “can play every role” ability.Nielsen is 3C in terms of 5v5 TOI and takes on the toughs.He’s 1st unit PP and is the guy who wins the faceoff (along with Tavares) and digs pucks out of cornersHe’s also 1PK.Before you think I’m on glue, consider this:When Nielsen was Lander’s age he was about to play his first full time NHL season.He had played 31 NHL games in the 2 years previous with 3 points (Eakins wrecked him obv **)In those two years he also put up 0.80pts/gm in 102 AHL games.In the last two years Lander:Played 65 NHL games and put up 21pts. (1pt in 27gms 13/14 then 20 in 38gms in 14/15)Played 75 AHL games putting up 83pts for 1.10pts/gmThere is a real argument that Lander is tracking ahead of Neilsen at this point.That would be an amazing outcome for the Oilers.Interesting fact: Lander and Nielsen share the same birthday, April 24, just 7 years apart.** Actually Nielsen flourished after Ted Nolan was fired.May be something to that. Maybe not.

Awesome post.

20. Really? says:

Very impressed with the strides Lander made last year. I believe/hope he cements his place on the Oilers roster this year. For some reason, Lander seems to exude professionalism and leadership. We all know the Oilers need this in a big way.

21. vishcosity says:

Elvis never had an album that I could play right through and with records, to pick up the needle and skip a track was tough. As a DJ in college I really played him a lot. His songs came in with a jump, and so many individual tracks I thought were just so outstanding. He seemed to add a pile of very experimental things.

22. MrSmitty says:

I have always been a Lander fan. I want this guy to succeed. He seems to agitate the opposition as well which is valuable if he can draw penalties for our sure to be excellent power play. I think he can handle the third line center role, seems like the guy who can play with skill and with the grinders.

23. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Bag of Pucks: Not an Elvis Costello fan

“Spike” is a masterpiece album overall.

24. mit167 says:

If so fill in the blanks.

No particular order… Edit maybe there is

?? Nuge Eberle
    Pouliott Lander ??
    Hall McDavid ??
    Hendricks Letestu ??

Lowetide keeps on wanting to kick Lander off of the power play. The Oilers power play only rock-n-rolled when Horcoff was on it, and when Lander on it in the last five years.

You need someone to win the faceoffs, be the net presence, retrieve loose pucks, and with enough skill to play with the high skill guys. That was Horcoff, and is Lander. He is just better at this role than the marquee guys.

Lander should be on one PP unit, and Pouliot the other.

26. Jordan says:

On the Lowdown, 10 this morning TSN1260.

Darrin Bauming, TSN 1290. Blue Bombers remain an interesting team.
    Andy Eide, 710 ESPN Seattle. We talk Ethan Bear.

10-1260 text @Lowetide on twitter

GOD DAMN IT WHERE”S MY DENNIS KING?! HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO GET THROUGH THURSDAY WITHOUT HIS BITING WIT.

This Thursday sucks.

27. flyfish1168 says:

To think he could have been had by 29 other teams for nothing. To think our coach and GM at the time didn’t value him. Anton has fought hard and is another underdog player I cheer for. Love his compete level. We need more like him

28. Lois Lowe says:

When Lander was drafted, the perception in these parts was that when the Oilers were ready to compete for the playoffs (though it might have been the Cup – (Gords we were optimistic then.)) – Lander would be a capable 3C. After the appropriate number of years, he’s become that player. He has value in the league: he’s a C, can play all situations, is surprisingly irritating to opposing teams, and is likely to remain cheap.

Lander has been a very slow starter at training camp. It will be interesting to see how he does in the first month with more competition for ice time.

I think he’s finally become the player we hoped he would become on draft day. Peak production from F’s starts right around the age range he’s in, and for once the Oilers didn’t cast him aside for a shiny new thing (there’s still time though).

29. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

mit167:
    I’ve heard that Purcell is training his guts out.Does contract year + Gary Roberts training death camp = surprise player – maybe top 6.

If so fill in the blanks.

No particular order… Edit maybe there is

??Nuge Eberle
    Pouliott Lander ??
    Hall McDavid ??
    Hendricks Letestu ??

I love this. Please don’t take this as a personal attack, because what you’ve done here is perfectly natural, we are all guilty of it.

You’re saying we need to shelter McDavid by making him 3C, but giving him Hall as a winger.

That’s not 3C. That’s 1C. It just is. It doesn’t matter where you write it out, McDavid plus Hall plus XXX is, for sure, your first line.

30. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Jordan: This Thursday sucks.

Anton Lander is the Bailey Quarters of Oilers’ centermen. No matter how well he plays, it will always be McDavid that people tune in to watch.

31. commonfan14 says:

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 11m11 minutes ago
    Work still being done on Sutter extension in VAN, but hearing five years is expected to be the term. AAV sounds like just under $4.4M.

Pardon?

32. DBO says:

mit167:

If so fill in the blanks.

No particular order… Edit maybe there is

??Nuge Eberle
    Pouliott Lander ??
    Hall McDavid ??
    Hendricks Letestu ??

I like your idea. Here’s my fill in the blanks

Hall. McDavid. Korpikoski
    Purcell. Nuge. Eberle
    Pouliot . Lander. Yak

That may be the most balanced lineup we can currently ice. A scorer (and younger), a two way player, and a veteran. Korpikoski gets the babysitter role. Purcell’s lack speed is less an issue with Nuge and Eberle. And Pouliot and Lander cover for a yak while bringing a gritty game that Yak also likes. Allows them to complement the speed and skill of the 1st line, the cerebral intelligent awesomeness of the 2nd line, with a grittier more truculent (will piss people off) line that can score .

33. DBO says:

And it also means that Draisatl can slide into Purcells spot next year and ease into the NHL at wing with two young vets, and not be exposed defensively by Yakupov.

34. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

commonfan14: Pardon?

35. One-Timer says:

The best thing about Chiarelli’s work so far is how he’s improved the D (still in progress) without sticking his hand into the cookie jar marked “C”.

If he does trade from this area of strength (!), at least we know it won’t be for spare parts.

36. kinger_OIL says:

Sorry for the thread jack but apparently the Jays have acquired Price!

– Just yesterday I was saying the Jays are viewed as being one piece away from being really good

– If the Oil could get a front-end D, this season then you could get really excited

– and I was saying the Jays won’t spend the money…

37. LoDog says:

Really like Lander and will be disappointed if that is all he can put up next season. Likely traded if that is all he can do.

I hope he is training his ass off this off season and comes into camp ready to kick butt.

Is my memory correct that he didn’t look too hot at training camp and pre season last year?

38. Oil2Oilers says:

“Blasted bonus issue” seems to be a one sided look at things.

Should talented youngsters McDavid, Nurse, Reinhart and Draisaitl make the team that means others are expendable.

The bonus cushion can be mitigated by moving out Nikitin, Purcell, Scrivens and if we are so lucky Ference at the deadline for picks and prospects. This would take a post deadline chunk of salary off the books covering off some if not all ELC bonuses.

Or do all ELC bonuses need to be accounted for at the start of the year and be under the Cap? I thought wiggle room and some sort of next season claw back was the rule.

39. Tapdog says:

DBO,

Just using your line up as an example; why take players out of their position of strength? Korpi and Purcell are better suited for the reverse of where you place them.

That seems to the “Oiler” way of doing things and the fans buy into that thought process and I am not sure why?

40. RexLibris says:

commonfan14:
    Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC11m11 minutes ago

Pardon?

I wasn’t really on the mark when that trade happened, but man that contract is out of whack.

Is Don Fehr sending Benning gift baskets today?

I really hope Benning didn’t learn any of this from Chiarelli.

41. DBO says:

Tapdog,

I have seen Purcell on both wings. Same with Korpikoski. I know Purcell has been mentioned as a RW for the McDavid line, but I don’t believe anywhere it was said he prefers or is better on the LW vs the RW. Both can play either side, and have in the recent past.

I have never bought into the “Oiler” way of thinking. Find me something that says both of them can’t play that spot, and I’ll happily change the lines.

42. Bar_Qu says:

RexLibris,

Benning is turning out to be the Canucks GM we all hoped they’d get.

43. Ducey says:

JD¡™ David O’Connor’s Reel: I think what they’re trying to say, is ‘mission accomplished’. Now all they need, is a photo-op of Benning in a flight suit, standing on the deck of an aircraft carrier – banner to read, ‘Rebuild Over’.

In a year from now they can replace it with a picture of him on a Banana Boat heading out of Vancouver harbor with the headline reading “The Benning Era is Over”.

44. Tapdog says:

DBO,

Yes I do realize they both have played either side and hey I get the versatility bonus, by “eye” their strong sides are the reverse of your placement.
    Perhaps one of the resident statistical wizards here knows where to pull information from that will show the differences of playing the opposite sides?

For one I would like to see the Oilers actually ice the best possible lineup for success.

So at the end of the day if the coach is asking you to play LW vs RW the answer is “yes sir”. I never said they can’t or couldn’t play the opposite side so finding that information is like the posters on LT’s site agreeing on what is the best scotch to drink…..impossible:)

45. RexLibris says:

Bar_Qu:
    RexLibris,

Benning is turning out to be the Canucks GM we all hoped they’d get.

Almost.

Gillis was pretty damned special too.

The Kassian/Hodgson deal wasn’t bad, but the way he burned through two staring goaltenders and set up the selling off of a third within a few years was the real crowning glory of his time there.

If Benning can lose Baertschi on waivers, trade Horvat and a 1st for a Jeff Finger-type defender, and find a way to alienate Ryan Miller into demanding a trade while re-signing Henrik and Daniel to six year contract extensions for $7 million apiece, then his work will be done.

46. RexLibris says:

I recall a story circulating when the Oilers took Lander that he was good friends with Paajarvi and they had taken note of that while scouting Magnus.

Maybe it was all made up, but it is interesting that both players are still struggling to crack the lineup and Lander appears to be the one currently ahead.

47. blainer says:

Bohologo:
    I seem to recall reading that music critics love Elvis Costello because most music critics look like Elvis Costello.

Is this an artist in need of analytics correction to the Saw Him Good, Heard Him Good narrative?

Boho.. being such a big fan of Yak don’t you think it should be Yak working out with CMD and Hall instead of Purcell.. Is there a disconnect with the players or is he putting his workout time in Russia.. Haven’t heard a word about him all summer..

48. hardcore says:

“However, coaches see things their way. Pat Quinn had J-F Jacques on the top line opening night 2009-10 with Horcoff and Hemsky (with Gagner on the 4line with Moreau).”

This fact has come up enough times that today I finally thought about it from the other side. Quinn was clearly crazy in his evaluation of JF Jacques but how crazy was he in his views on ganger? Considering where Ganger’s gone since, maybe Quinn was a little ahead of the curve on gags. Just maybe?

49. commonfan14 says:

Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons: LT,
    Perhaps I missed it but why only 65gp?
    Press box?
    Bakersfield?
    Injury?

Wondered about this too.

50. B S says:

hardcore,

1st line center in Arizona?

51. Ribs says:

mit167: I’ve heard that Purcell is training his guts out. Does contract year + Gary Roberts training death camp = surprise player – maybe top 6.

Forget Gary Roberts! Purcell needs to start training with these guys!!

Does anyone not train with Gary Roberts these days? His gym must be packed with NHLers every day!

52. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Ribs: Purcell needs to start training with these guys!!

Might want to opt out of the supplement seminar though.

Purcell training with Roberts is a good thing, but he should have started a little earlier in his career.

53. LadiesloveSmid says:

Anybody read that tweet from Purcell?

Did Hallsy donate $22K in a charity auction for a McDavid jersey?

54. bendelson says:

JD¡™ David O’Connor’s Reel: I’m with you in that regard, but of the songs of his I do like – I really like them. Very little middle-ground with his work, for me.

“Spike” is a masterpiece album overall.

As a big fan of Elvis Costello, that last line reads a little strange.
    Spike – the masterpiece? Not, This Year’s Model (or others)? Huh.
    I’m not saying you’re wrong (we all have our preferences), but I will say you are likely one of a kind.

55. Ribs says:

JD¡™ David O’Connor’s Reel: Might want to opt out of the supplement seminar though.

No worries, Johnson only spikes his drinks with Cheetah Power Surge Energy Drink, these days.

56. Snowman says:

LadiesloveSmid,

I read that too and I was wondering about that.

57. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

bendelson: but I will say you are likely one of a kind.

I would also accept weird, absurd, or ridiculous. 😉

58. vishcosity says:

bendelson,

I bought Spike on CD the day it came out. I remember how shocking was that cover. It seemed like a madness that without knowing Blood and Chocolate, one would never possibly buy. I think it was $25 too. Inside I found great liner notes first. Layout and production to the sleeve booklet thing was super high end for sure.

Maybe it was marketing, but I don’t think I’m the only one suckered into buying that disc then playing it so much that seeing the song list 20 years later I can still remember words from the second side. Deep dark truthful mirror. Wish I had a clue what any of the lyrics meant.

59. Spoils says:

Lander looked great at the end of the year and at the worlds. and McL may have got a good first hand look at the worlds…

I like this line-up:

Poul – Nuge – Ebs
    Hall – McDavid – Purcell
    Korpikovski – Lander – Yak
    Hendricks – Letstu – Klinkhammer

Purcell is best with talent, and Yak is best with the soft parade and defensive support. let him fly around out there and give him tons of PP time.

Now we just need a top pairing DMan.

WE REALLY REALLY NEED A TOP PAIRING DMAN.

60. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

vishcosity: Wish I had a clue what any of the lyrics meant.

One day, we’ll all find out!

61. Braden88 says:

Spoils:

I agree with this Idea. not sure if its currently the reality though.

I hope yak actually accepts the situation this year no matter what it is. he needs to learn that being the guy that can play with or without skill, on either wing IS INCREDIBLY VALUABLE. Having him and Eakins going back and forth was not healthy for anyone the last 2 years

If Yak can just go out there, play his game, and play with his linemates and not just skate around aimlessy hogging the puck. then this could a great year for him!

Just play your game bud!

62. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Voracek scores in the off-season:

Frank SeravalliVerified account
    ‏@frank_seravalli

Jake Voracek: 8-years, $66 million. AAV is $8.25 million. #TSN

63. rickithebear says:

Spoils: WE REALLY REALLY NEED A TOP PAIRING DMAN.

Get back 3 days from holidays.
    Then spend a god damn week in the Hospital with Pneumonia, Blood poisoning and Anemia.
    Luckily kidney’s restarted and no dialysis needed.

Whole collection of test to follow.
    Including everyone’s favourite drink GoLYTELY!

Get home to an ordered 7 days bed rest with nightly walk
    and
    read the same trite Shit!

Lets change the D that PC went and specifically targeted to run in a more controlled Def Sys.
    Childish shit!

Going shit!
    Stating Shit
    and
    Real shit ideas!

64. Lewis Grant says:

JD¡™ David O’Connor’s Reel: Jake Voracek: 8-years, $66 million. AAV is $8.25 million. #TSN

Until the last year or two, the closest comparable to Voracek in the entire league was Gagner. Their stats were almost identical. Then Voracek started playing with Giroux.

Wow, $66M for one career year playing with Giroux? With all this insanity I am very glad we don’t have any major extensions this summer. Didn’t Philly already learn this once with Bryzgalov?

Maybe they can clear some cap space for Voracek by buying out Lecavalier, ha ha.

65. Ducey says:

JD¡™ David O’Connor’s Reel: Voracek scores in the off-season:Frank SeravalliVerified account‏@frank_seravalliJake Voracek: 8-years, $66 million. AAV is $8.25 million. #TSN

Man, PHI isn’t going to be able to afford Sam Gagner next year. What are they thinking??

More seriously, they are going to be in a cap crunch next year. They are getting close to next year’s (16-17) cap with $59 M committed to just 9 forwards and 4 D men. Next year they will need to sign both Schenn brothers, 3 depth forwards and at least 2 Dmen. Provorov is going to be on the fast train, whether he is ready or not.

66. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Lewis Grant: Wow, $66M for one career year playing with Giroux?

Ah – is that what spiked his numbers? Well, it’s not the Flyers’ worst contract, that’s for sure.

67. Ryan says:

Didn’t have time to chime in here before the thread died.

I’m not bullish on Lander like everyone else here. I think his success last season is at best 50/50 flash in the pan.

Even on the PK his 5v4/60 against of 9 didn’t speak to two-way prowess. He killed it briefly on the PP last year with a 26% shooting percentage…played 4rth line brigade at evens with a high rate of second assists…got his teeth kicked in on the PK,.,, and many of us have him penned in for 3c. Even money, he’s done by the end of December.

68. Pouzar says:

Ryan: Even money, he’s done by the end of December.

I’ll take that bet.

say a $100 donation to the site?

rickithebear: Get back 3 days from holidays.
    Luckily kidney’s restarted and no dialysis needed.

Whole collection of test to follow.
    Including everyone’s favourite drink GoLYTELY!

Get home to an ordered 7 days bed rest with nightly walk
    and
    read the same trite Shit!

Childish shit!

Going shit!
    Stating Shit
    and
    Real shit ideas!

Sounds like a terrible time. Hope you’re feeling better, man. Now. About that defenseman….

70. Optimism is Foolish says:

Just a thought here.

I have seen a lot of conversation on how best to shelter McDavid and all the possible line combo’s. One way might be with the use of the 4th line. Last few years we used the 4th line as a very defensive unit with very heavy dzone use and pkers. I would suggest a trio of hendricks/letestu/lander whom would be charged with eating up 12 minutes a night vs top forwards. Their goal isn’t goals but rather attrition. Their aim in either end is to take it to the boards and make the opponent work their tails off. This puts the other 3 lines against lesser competition. At home this is easy but on the road they would have to change on the fly a lot but still doable for their limited ice time.

71. Ryan says:

Pouzar: I’ll take that bet.

say a $100 donation to the site?

First, even money I forget this wager by next week, so if someone can kindly remind me… I wasn’t trying to create a discussion with my post, just writing it for posterity.

However…

If Anton Lander is placed on waivers, traded to another team, or healthy scratched more than three times by the end of December, I win and you lose. Vice versa, of course. If he gets injured and plays less than 30 games, all bets are off.

Deal per your wager terms?

72. Pouzar says:

Ryan: First, even money I forget this wager by next week, so if someone can kindly remind me…I wasn’t trying to create a discussion with my post, just writing it for posterity.

However…

If Anton Lander is placed on waivers, traded to another team, or healthy scratched more than three times by the end of December, I win and you lose.Vice versa, of course. If he gets injured and plays less than 30 games, all bets are off.

Deal per your wager terms?

Sweet posterity.

Now down to business.
    If he’s on the active roster come Jan 01, 2016 I win. Done.
    Stick yer terms.

73. Ryan says:

Pouzar: Sweet posterity.

Now down to business.
    If he’s on the active roster come Jan 01, 2016 I win. Done.
    Stick yer terms.

And to think I probably could have bet GMoney that he would produce less than last year’s PPG pace over a minimum of 70 games played and he would have taken that action.

74. Pouzar says:

Ryan: It’s not really a fair bet because if Lander isn’t a flash in the pan, I’ll still win since it would benefit the Oilers and I’ll be happy.

Lander rocks it, you donate to the site…WIN-WIN!