TRAINING CAMP HOPEFULS NO. 8: ANTON SLEPYSHEV

Anton Slepyshev is one of several young forwards about to descend upon this northern town looking for work. The Russian is a little older than most of the top-end crew, has more experience against men, and could surprise:

NHLE’S AMONG OILERS PROSPECTS OUTSIDE THE AHL

1. C Connor McDavid 82GP, 23-40-63
  2. C Leon Draisaitl 82GP, 15-26-41
  3. C-R Kyle Platzer 82GP, 12-17-29
  4. L Anton Slepyshev 82GP, 17-11-28
  5. C-R Greg Chase 82GP, 8-16-24

There’s reason to believe the numbers for Slepyshev may be off by several based on his KHL playing time last season. Slepyshev’s stat line from his time in Russia really is quality based on his own past:

• Boxcars: 58GP, 15-10-25 in regular season
  • Breakdown: 14 goals at even strength, one on the power play
  • SOG: 129 (11.6 shooting percentage, 2.22 shots-per-game)
  • TOI/game: 12:25
  • Points-per-60: 2.08
  • NHLE (Regular season): 82GP, 17-11-28

If he’d been a regular (16 minutes a night) that’s a 20-goal season for the young Russian. I have him No. 9 on the summer top 20, chances are he’ll go higher for the Christmas rankings.

ANTON SLEPYSHEV BAKERSFIELD 15-16 RE: 65GP, 19-14-33

ANTON SLEYSHEV 2015-16 RE: 3GP, 1-0-1

1. What role will he play in Bakersfield? Scoring winger. He plays LW so could supplant Ryan Hamilton or replace Curtis Hamilton. The top four wingers in Bakersfield this fall are probably Hamilton, Slepyshev (LW’s) and Miller, Pakarinen (RW’s).
  2. What has changed since he signed? McDavid. It may impact his future if that move causes Leon Draisaitl to play the wing but this is early days.
  3. What does he need to work on? As with all Oilers wingers, his play without the puck is going to be the issue. Slepyshev isn’t about defending, he’s about scoring. He’s going to have a learning curve for sure.
  4. What is the best thing about him? Pronman draft day: He is an above-average skater, with agility and free movement, as his shiftiness makes him hard to check. He has a plus shot and he knows it, as his mentality is often shoot-first, even from distance. He can still make plays, and he does not have tunnel vision, but his playmaking skills are not his best element. His physical game has progressed, and he has added strength since last season. He can protect pucks moderately well. He will display physical effort, although it could be better at times. He also needs to work on his defensive game.
  5. What one thing will get him to the NHL? Speed and scoring added to good size (6.02, 195). Slepyshev could easily grab an available job and play for a long time.
  6. What one thing will keep him from the NHL? The NHL is the toughest league in the world. If he can score regularly, and he did it in the KHL, Slepyshev will have a career.
  7. What was that crazy trade again? It is below. The value of the selection (No. 37) is represented here by Valentin Zykov. The return includes Platzer, Slepyshev, Yakimov, Houck (since discarded) and Muir. Carrier was a secondary portion but did not involve the Oilers giving up anything beyond No. 37 overall. It remains a good bloody trade two years on. This trade hobbled Marco Roy’s signing with Edmonton too, by the way. The Oilers signed Yakimov, Slepyshev and Platzer, all of whom were taken after Roy.

crazy trade

22 Responses to "TRAINING CAMP HOPEFULS NO. 8: ANTON SLEPYSHEV"

1. Stud Muffin says:

I think the AHL RE is pretty low. I would put him in the range of 45-50 points

2. Woogie63 says:

Slepyshev-Driasaital-Pakarinen will all start in AHL AND then graduate together

3. Sevenseven says:

I see the future 3rd line winger. Slepyshev Draisaitl Pakarinen. I hope we see that as the top line in Bakersfield. That would be the best third line in the NHL in 2-3 years.

4. Sevenseven says:

Woogie63,

i was typing at the same time, just looking up spelling. Great minds think alike.

5. Woogie63 says:

Sevenseven,

Who do you like to graduate on defense?

6. Sevenseven says:

Thats a tough one. I like Nurse, Reinhart and Davidson but they are all LHD. So is Sekera and Klefbom. So is NN and Ference. Man would petry Sekera look good! Shultz as a low minutes 3rd pairing pp specialist. Fayne and take your pick for the last 2 on the left.

Something’s gotta give on the left side…

Stud Muffin:
    I think the AHL RE is pretty low. I would put him in the range of 45-50 points

I got fooled by Bogdan last year.

8. Sevenseven says:

It all depends on who his linemates are and how many minutes he gets. I could see the coach giving him bigger minutes early, as he already has pro experience. He played relatively big minutes in the KHL and they just don’t do that for young players. That’s a tell.

9. RexLibris says:

Canucks name our old friend Weisbrod (he of the Jankowski/Gaudreau drafts) as Assistant GM.

Also sign Sutter to a five-year deal at $4.375 annually.

Both according to TSN.

*apologies if this was posted in the previous thread.

Benning and Weisbrod could be almost as entertaining as Feaster and Weisbrod.

Sevenseven:

Bogdan played in the KHL during 2013-14. He still scored at .500 in OKC

11. Jaxon says:

If you calculate Slepyshev’s NHLE based on his last 19 games in the KHL, when he started getting more ice time, his NHLE is around 27G, 13A, 40 PTS. That is a major player at his age. I think he’ll be up in the NHL challenging for a roster spot after a North American adjustment period in Bakersfield. If Draisaitl, Slepyshev and Pakarinen all start in the AHL they could move up as a line as mentioned by Woogie63 above. Their NHLE’s:

Mid-Season or Post-Deadline:
    SC3: Slepyshev (27G-13A-40P) – Draisaitl (14G-25A-39P) – Pakarinen (16G-10A-26P)
    DZS: Korpikoski – Lander – Letestu

That’s a great 3rd line. With those kinds of NHLEs, you’re not leaving anyone on that line without scoring help and they’ll be out against the softs. I think Pakarinen has also shown to be physical and fairly responsible and they all have decent size and protect the puck well.

If that is the case in the latter part of the year (after Purcell is traded), then the top two lines are some combo of Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, McDavid, Yakupov and Pouliot. You simply cannot hang the erratic Yakupov on McDavid’s line in his rookie year, so that leaves Eberle with McDavid and Yakupov with Nugent-Hopkins. Pouliot/Hall decision could go either way and maybe Pouliot’s responsible play better suits McDavid in his rookie season, but I think Hall’s speed will be the best match for McDavid so that leaves:

SC1: Pouliot – Nugent-Hopkins – Yakupov
    SC2: Hall – McDavid – Eberle

This also squeezes out Hendricks, Gazdic and Klinkhammer from a regular spot in the lineup so we may see 1 or 2 of them dealt if so.

12. Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker) says:

I think he gets the closest to an NHL spot this fall. He might even win it because of the bonus money owed to Draisaitl. Sleepy is 21 already, and I do think he will prove to be above AHL level pretty fast. That is if they don’t play Ryan Hamilton overtop of him because reasons (Not sure that was as sarcastic as I meant it to be-the good prospects don’t get buried),

13. oilswell says:

14. SwedishPoster says:

oilswell: I hope he has been working on his complete game in the meantime, the scouting report had me thinking Ryan Jones with Scott Fraser’s shot. And there is no “good way” in which to think that.

I think he has. That scouting report doesn’t rhyme with the player I saw last season. Tbh Pronman is much better for NA players, pretty often he’s off on the euros.

15. wheatnoil says:

Slepyshev’s splits pre and post Jan. 1st.

16. Sevenseven says:

Yes, but Slepyshev played way more games in the Khl. And as Wheatnoil pointed out after Jan 1st was over 16 min/game. Maybe I am a little higher on him than I should be, but I think he is a player who could make short work of the LW depth chart. I guess we will have to see how he takes to the NA game.

17. RedNed says:

I saw a few minutes of his play in the Spengler Cup around xmas. I didn’t know who this ferocious forechecker was, but I really liked him. Then they mentioned his name, and I went and put on my Oilers jersey with a grin. Slepyshev-Driasaital-Pakarinen could be a destructive line, with Dr guiding the storm.

Sevenseven:

Hopefully he’ll come to the AHL and make it impossible to keep him on the farm. Slepy plays LW and shoots right, so he and Nail would be a cool combination.

19. threeputtdouble says:

Someone had wondered what Yak was doing over the summer. While not particularly instructive, I know that he was in Nizhnekamsk (his home town) in June. He is pretty famous there, a big celebrity in town.

20. kinger_OIL says:

– The whole “move up as a line” thing is just crazy talk. Except in strike seasons, it never happens,

– As bad as the OIL have been, they don’t have 3 NHL roster players who are going to be turfed out to be replaced by a AHL line lock stock and barrel.

– I know its the middle of the summer but its one of the silliest themes I’ve seen in awhile in the LT comment section

21. oilswell says:

kinger_OIL: line lock stock and barrel

I approve of your proposed nickname to the Nugent-Hopkins–Eberle–Hall line. The word play on stock/stalk is excellent,hat tip to you sir.

22. Jaxon says:

kinger_OIL,

You’re right. It is improbable that they would move up as a line, but I could see them becoming a line again before the year is done. As fir the 3 roster players moving out, Purcell is almost guaranteed to be gone by the trade deadline and I think Hendricks is a good candidate for a trade to a contender. His value will never be higher after a decent season and captaining the US at the World Championships. Klinkhammer is not a Chiarelli acquisition amd could be shipped out too. I think the fact that Letestu can play C or RW is part of what made him attractive, so he could definitely finish the season at RW with Lander and Korpikoski.