TRAINING CAMP HOPEFULS NO. 9: IIRO PAKARINEN

The 2011 NHL draft looks like it might be a watershed for the Edmonton Oilers. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Oscar Klefbom are already helping at the NHL level and appear to have exceptional futures. David Musil and Dillon Simpson are bubbling under (and Tobias Rieder is in Arizona playing well. Kale Kessy, also form that 2011 draft, is in the Oilers system). Calgary selection Laurent Brossoit is trending well enough to be Edmonton’s No. 1 goaltending prospect and Finn Iiro Pakarinen is pushing for NHL employment after a fantastic 2014-15 debut in the Oilers organization.

ERIC RODGERS’ LOOK AT OKC FORWARDS 2014-15

rodgers forwardsPakarinen is among the most promising forwards in the system, and at 23 he has enough time to establish himself with the Oilers and have a career. The addition of Todd McLellan to the coaching staff should help Pakarinen, as his speed and aggressive playing style are things the new coach will be looking for in Edmonton’s NHL-ready prospects. He is a sturdy winger (6.01, 205) who can play a rugged game. Has enough skill to play with good forwards but not so much skill that he’d be a waste as a checker.

IIRO PAKARINEN BAKERSFIELD 15-16 RE: 50GP, 20-22-42 .840

IIRO PAKARINEN 2015-16 RE: 20GP, 3-4-7 .350

1. What role will he play in Bakersfield? Scoring winger. I think Pakarinen and Andrew Miller have a chance here, it’s going to be an interesting race. There IS an NHL job—value contract and skill winger who can play up and down the lineup—and both appear well qualified.
  2. What has changed since he signed? In the last season on RW, we’ve seen another year of Nail Yakupov not grabbing an NHL job, and Teddy Purcell is a year older. One of the biggest changes is Pakarinen, who has passed several prospects who were ahead of him on the day he signed.
  3. What does he need to work on? Defensive play, although his aggressiveness is probably going to come in handy in the McLellan system. His skills set up really well for McLellan, this is a significant opportunity for the young man.
  4. What is the best thing about him? After years of watching Oilers prospects from the farm step into their NHL debut like a deer in the headlights, Pakarinen hit the gap like a bat out of hell and hasn’t looked back since. He’s in a helluva hurry, that’s a good thing.
  5. What one thing will get him to the NHL? There’s more than one thing, but speed, physical play and aggression are at the top of the charts.
  6. What one thing will keep him from the NHL? I’m not sure the young man can score enough to beat out the oncoming rush. Remember, there’s the established wingers (Eberle, Purcell), the No. 1 overall (Yakupov) and then 10 miles of prospects from Tyler Pitlick to Andrew Miller to Anton Slepyshev and on it goes.
  7. In terms of talent, who would be his No. 1 roadblock among RW prospects? Leon Draisaitl. No doubt. Leon would be a substantial roadblock to all these prospects if he gains traction on RW. He could threaten all but Jordan Eberle for available playing time.

25 Responses to "TRAINING CAMP HOPEFULS NO. 9: IIRO PAKARINEN"

1. RexLibris says:

Off-topic poll to the crowd here: trying to pick a song for the Flames RE I’m writing up and I’m torn between several seemingly appropriate artists.

Josh Groban, John Tesh or Celine Dion?

I now return you to your regularly-scheduled blogging.

🙂

2. RexLibris says:

I don’t know why, but for some reason I had always thought Pakarinen was a free-agent signing instead of a drafted prospect.

Maybe that says more about my expectations of Oilers’ depth prospects relative to their FA signings of late.

RexLibris:

Josh Groban, John Tesh or Celine Dion?

I now return you to your regularly-scheduled blogging.

Nickelback

4. LadiesloveSmid says:

RexLibris:

is that what you meant?

5. Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker) says:

Maybe a stupid question but do we still own Horak?

6. fifthcartel says:

Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker),

He’s still under the ‘In the System’ section on the Oilers site, so I think they do.

7. Ryan says:

RexLibris:

Iiro was drafted by the Florida Panthers.

8. Ryan says:

RexLibris:

Josh Groban, John Tesh or Celine Dion?

I now return you to your regularly-scheduled blogging.

Milli Vanilli sort of fits.

9. Ryan says:

LadiesloveSmid: he was signed as a free agent out of Finland after Florida, who drafted him, didn’t sign him for a number of years…?

is that what you meant?

Did you just welcome me to 2 hrs ago?

10. RexLibris says:

is that what you meant?

If “I’ve had my head screwed on backwards and upside down” is what I meant, then yes.

🙂

Thanks for the clarification.

It’s been a long week and I’m only halfway there.

11. RexLibris says:

Ryan: Milli Vanilli sort of fits.

Ouch.

Nice pick.

12. wheatnoil says:

The luckiest team by schedule is Edmonton, with seven more schedule wins than losses. Columbus the least with 8 fewer.— Micah Blake McCurdy (@IneffectiveMath) August 6, 2015

The oilers will play a non-rested team not on a back-to-back fourteen times this year. The other way around, only seven times.— Micah Blake McCurdy (@IneffectiveMath) August 6, 2015

wheatnoil:

That strikes me as being directly opposite of the last several seasons.

14. RexLibris says:

godot10: Nickelback

That’s harsh. What did they ever do to you to deserve that?

Nickelback, I mean.

😉

15. wheatnoil says:

Lowetide: That strikes me as being directly opposite of the last several seasons.

16. Drew says:

Ryan: Milli Vanilli sort of fits.

Ouch! i was thinking Barry Mani-lowe.

17. Suntory Hanzo says:

RexLibris,

Cradle of Filth.

18. oilswell says:

Ryan: Milli Vanilli sort of fits.

Solid choice.

I’m going to suggest Bastard Fairies for name, Wham! for style, and Tiffany for substance.

Edit: also obligatory link to Flames video. May want to consider just starting all posts with that, it’s a gift that never stops giving.

19. Revolved says:

wheatnoil: Seems like it’s been a long while since the schedule gave the Oilers a break. It should happen more often given the length of travel teams like Edmonton have to deal with. I can only assume this is another McDavid Miracle.

I’m telling you it’s all a conspiracy!

In order to fund expansion, they’re going to milk their best markets for 10 years.

The Leafs and Oilers will meet in the cup final for 4 years straight starting 17/18.

They will sell $1 trillion in McDavid and Marner jerseys in that span and spend the money at ‘meetings’ in their new Vegas facilities.

End insane tin hat rant

20. Pajamah says:

@RexLibris

Not a fan of Courtney Love, but I’d use Hole. Song titles to be used

Garbage Man
    Softer, Softest
    Gutless
    Awful
    Dying
    Skinny Little Bitch
    How Dirty Girls Get Clean.

I’d say it’s a great fit

21. jake70 says:

Ryan: Milli Vanilli sort of fits.

I’ll go one further. How about “The Real Milli Vanilli” – remember not too long after the “debacle”, the actual singers/musicians recorded music for that same greeedy producer ? With the Flames, a lot of the talk is will the percentages revert to normal and who will the “real Calagary Flames” be this year, will they blame a poor season on the Rain, yeah you know it’s true. Wiki and youtube tell me their “hit” song was “keep on runnin”…..hmmm interesting title.

22. G Money says:

RexLibris:

Josh Groban, John Tesh or Celine Dion?

I now return you to your regularly-scheduled blogging.

Is there a band out there that has a song titled “Fuck Those Guys”?

That would be perfect.

23. Jaxon says:

Revolved,

Speaking of expansion, does it seem like Las Vegas will get an expansion team before Quebec, meaning LV in 2017-2018, then maybe through a combination of move and expansion, Quebec and Seattle will get teams in the following year or two.

Is the NHL trying to wait for another Western team before allowing Quebec to join. That would mean a low attendance team like Florida, Carolina, or Columbus would have to move to Seattle or Quebec and the other team would be an expansion team to keep the number of teams to 32, which is a nice neat mathematical number.

24. Showerhead says:

wheatnoil:

My first instinct:

That’s great news!

My second:

If Yost is right and the swing in win% is roughly 3%, then 0.03 * 14 available points = 0.42 extra points from those 7 available games. (By all means, tell me if something about this seems crazy.)

So yeah, it’s good news and might have an effect on the standings. But Edmonton’s magical resurgence is going to happen on the back of actual hockey improvements after all.