RE 15-16 GRIFFIN REINHART: LIFE DURING WARTIME

When it comes to Griffin Reinhart discussions among Oilers fans, opinions are like rear ends: Everybody has one. For Reinhart, a lot of venom has been heading his way for reasons he has no control over, nor should be concerned with at any time.

GRIFFIN REINHART 14-15

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.55 (8th among D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil
  • Qual Comp: 9th toughest among D
  • Qual Team: 3rd best available among regular D
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 44.6%
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: -13.0
  • Zone Start: 44.1%
  • Zone Finish: 50.0%
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 4 shots
  • Boxcars: 8GP, 0-1-1

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

islanders vollmanBAKERSFIELD RE 15-16: 40GP, 4-13-17

RE 15-16: 27GP, 0-4-4 .148

1. Why is there such a range of opinion about him? In a way, Reinhart and the 2012 entry draft are still in the brains of fans and (probably) management. The Oilers made the right choice (Yakupov) but one suspects some or all of the scouting crew and many in management felt it was a mistake.
  2. What is he? Pronman: “He’s high-end defensively, and average offensively, which is still a pretty good player. He performed well versus men this season in the AHL and could make the Oilers very soon.”
  3. What role might he eventually play? In an ideal world, I think Reinhart plays LH side on one of the top two pairings, with a mobile, puck-moving partner. Reinhart looks after the coverage issues and his partner scoots to daylight.
  4. What do you personally like about him? In junior, Reinhart was an outstanding player, a difference maker. He had calm feet, plenty of speed and could also help offensively (although that wasn’t close to his largest asset).
  5. Can he bring it to the NHL? That’s the million dollar question.
  6. Peter Chiarelli thinks he’s ready. Yes. Chiarelli: “He’s ready to play and he’s going to be a very good part of our D” and he said it in the hours after acquiring Reinhart.
  7. Yet you have him playing 27 NHL games next season. Yes. I’m hedging bets and Reinhart, in my opinion, will spend about half of this season in the AHL. The rest will be in Edmonton, some in the press box and some in the actual games.
  8. Is the major question about his speed? That’s some of it. Reinhart has (as I mentioned) calm feet but it’s important to also have quick reaction and an ability to catch up and close a gap. Calm feet don’t get you much when they’re married to lead feet.
  9. There are some who say Reinhart is going to bust because the Oilers can’t see past his poor skating. Yes, and honestly betting against the Oilers over the last decade has made a lot of people look extremely smart. For me, I prefer to wait and see if this young man can play at pace and I believe a lot of this season will be exactly about that for the Oilers and Reinhart.
  10. Is Nurse ahead of him on your depth chart? You’ll have to wait and see. Reinhart is the eighth NHL and fourth AHL defender I’ve covered in the series and there are some number to come this week.
  11. Including? Nikita Nikitin, Darnell Nurse, Brad Hunt, possibly others.
  12. Brad Hunt!?? Remember, I’m doing both here. It could be that one or more of those names spends the entire season in the minors.
  13. If this is intrigue it’s pretty crappy. I have the numbers, and ask you drop by this week to see how the story rolls out.
  14. Why this song? For me it’s about the struggle of finding normal, whatever that may be. For Reinhart, for the Oilers, for the fans, finding normal—what we used to know as normal—seems so far away. Maybe normal arrives this fall, and maybe Griffin Reinhart is part of it.
  15. You still think the payment was too dear? Yes. I like Reinhart a lot but for what the Oilers gave up?  I don’t hate the trade and absolutely see what Chiarelli was doing with the deal (fast-tracking those picks) but for me it was an overpay.
  16. I think your RE is a low bar for this player. Hmmm. For me, the veterans still to come (Nikitin, Ference, Gryba) are going to eat a lot of the remaining at-bats. A lot of my RE this year is trying to suss out where the compromises will be, and trying to read Todd McLellan. When you’re trying to predict the actions of a veteran NHL coach in August, bet the veteran.
  17. In an ideal world, who would you partner Reinhart with? In Edmonton, I’d try Andrej Sekera or Oscar Klefbom. I suspect Justin Schultz will be his partner, but I’m not in favor of it.
  18. That’s a perfect tandem, puck mover and a strong defender. Maybe three years from now, but both men would be better suited alongside a veteran.
  19. Islanders gave him tough zone starts. And that is probably his future. If Reinhart is going to be a valuable NHL player, tough zone starts, difficult assignments, plenty of work at evens and PK are likely to be in his future. He may also get some power-play time, but as was the case in junior, the big part of his game is playing defense.

92 Responses to "RE 15-16 GRIFFIN REINHART: LIFE DURING WARTIME"

1. verdad2.0 says:

Do you seriously believe that MacLellan can be so stupid to actually play Ference and Nikitn?
    Did you actually watch last season?

It is almost impossible to recall an actual positive contribution either of them ever made in a game.
    That is not an exaggeration.

Whatever issues Reinhart may have, so what. He at least has a future.

Why Ference and Nikitin were not bought out was one of the great mistakes of Chiarelli. Really brings into question if he is serious about winning for this upcoming season.

Oilers are in no position to waste another season.

Playing washed up failures is crazy.

Of course, if Chiarelli really cared about this season, he would have long since have traded for a real #1 defenceman. That he has not done so is a real mystery.

Hi Verdad!

3. verdad2.0 says:

Seriously, I admire your dedication to the OIlers.
    But serioulsy , what is the point of having Nikitin and Ference on this team.
    Boat anchors.

Robbie Russo to Detroit, no surprise

verdad2.0:
    Seriously, I admire your dedication to the OIlers.
    But serioulsy , what is the point of having Nikitin and Ference on this team.
    Boat anchors.

The nature of the RE series isn’t to hammer on a specific theme (although God knows I’ve strayed) it’s to reasonably estimate at-bats and production based on roster, coach and depth chart. The Oilers aren’t keeping Nikitin and Ference to see them sit. They’re going to play.

6. verdad2.0 says:

What is the point of that?
    What did they contribute last year?
    There is no rational case for playing them. Full stop!

( some issues are more important than others)

7. Wonder Llama says:

Burned all my draft picks.
    What good are draft picks?
    They won’t help me defend.

verdad2.0:

What is the point of that?
    What did they contribute last year?
    There is no rational case for playing them. Full stop!

( some issues are more important than others)

Different conversation. RE isn’t designed to say “despite the fact Edmonton has Andrew Ference and Nikita Nikitin on the roster, I’ve decided to give them 0 games in protest.” I don’t think that’s terribly useful. If you’re asking me what I’d do, Ference would have been bought out and Nikitin is probably a trade deadline exit.

Peter Chiarelli decided against buying either of them out and because of it I believe Griffin Reinhart spends half a season in the AHL. That’s not the worst thing. Seriously.

The bigger issue: Edmonton loses year one of McDavid with this wonky blue. THAT I agree with, but the RE series isn’t about what should have happened in summer, it’s about the roster currently idling in the driveway,

9. verdad2.0 says:

Well the RE series may its utility
    But the real issue is soon going to be the obvious blunders of Chiarelli to waste this season.
    Fixing the defence now at all costs should have been his objective. The only untouchable is MacDavid.
    Is he really any improvement over MacTavish?

10. frjohnk says:

LT, going back to that interview you had with Griffin and Paul makes me believe that because last year was a trying year for Griff, he is training like a mofo to make the team this fall. This is a young man who is determined to prove he can be a big difference maker.

If Reinhart can bring a large portion of Oil Kings game to the NHL, it will be exactly what this team has needed for years.

I am betting he brings it.

11. Bar_Qu says:

verdad2.0:
    Well the RE series may its utility
    Is he really any improvement over MacTavish?

If you don’t see the Oilers as a better team now (minus McDavid) than they were in the spring, then you have anger-colored glasses on. The forwards are in better shape and the blue, while not up to snuff, is better than it was. Not as good as it would be with Petry in the line-up, but better still. Sekera pushes everyone down the lineup, and I don’t think Ference is as done as he looked last year on a really bad team. Nikitin is the big question mark, can he play a 6-7 effectively or pair with someone who allows his strengths to be visible enough to mask his weaknesses?
    This is the value of the RE, for me. Its a chance to objectively assess based on past performance and likely deployment, not another pie-in-the-sky media release or doom and gloom fan pessimism.

You don’t like that, then don’t read it.

I love the tropes you are running with and appreciate you commenting, but calling into question the nature of the RE doesn’t really apply.

Btw, who do you think the Oil should try to get for defense? 😉

12. sliderule says:

When I watched Reinhart with the oil kings I never thought of him having cement boots.

It seemed to me that he skates very similar to Eckblad .They use their gap control to limit any speed and agility issues.

13. John Chambers says:

In time it’ll be evident that Chia Pete snowed Garth.

Matt Barzal is a millennial Kyle Wellwood, trumpeted up by the TSN mafia prior to the draft.

We on the other hand get a tower for out top-4 defense on an ELC.

sliderule:

It seemed to me that he skates very similar to Eckblad .They use their gap control to limit anyspeed and agility issues.

That’s my recall as well. I spent more than a few nights at Rexall wishing the Oilers had drafted him.

15. thegabe says:

verdad2.0:
    The only untouchable is MacDavid.
    Is he really any improvement over MacTavish?

MacT might currently be better defensively, but I would argue McDavid is a huge improvement over an aging Craig MacTavish, especially in a first-line role.

16. raventalon40 says:

verdad2.0:
    Well the RE series may its utility
    Is he really any improvement over MacTavish?

There are 29 other GMs and they have to agree to a trade before a trade happens.

Do you see any other top pair defensemen being traded lately? With the exception of Dougie Hamilton?

This is not EA Sports NHL 2015, trades don’t get accepted or rejected right away. Sometimes GMs sit on offers for weeks, or months, before accepting or rejecting based on their own needs or whatever timing works best for them.

17. Yeti says:

verdad2.0: What is the point of that?
    What did they contribute last year?
    There is no rational case for playing them. Full stop!

It seems a bit paradoxical for you to be concerned with rationality.

18. bcoil says:

verdad2.0,

Verdad2.0 New coaches new supporting cast and new systems which will require the wingers to support the defence .All of these could do wonders for Nikita and Ferrance and besides last year is just that last year ask Colorado do you want to be judged on your past performance or who you are today .If they do not come up to the coaches standards they will be gone we have lots of depth .

19. RexLibris says:

Here’s where I am on the Reinhart-training-camp-competition topic.

He may or likely does have a higher ceiling over the next year than either Ference or Nikitin.

He could very well prove that in training camp by playing against exactly those two and the collection of forwards the Oilers currently have.

However, he does not have the same level of NHL experience as either of those two and if we want to develop him into that 1st or 2nd pairing shutdown D he looks to be then the most important next step is to determine his capability against NHL opposition, not whether he is a better player than Nikitin and Ference. Because he probably is. But if he’s going to get his head smashed in every other night then leave that honour to one of the two aforementioned veterans and let Reinhart get a little more experience in the AHL before you move one or both of the veterans at the deadline and can recall him after a little more time spent developing.

Reinhart’s capabilities don’t need to be measured against the below-average standard that is the Oilers’ blueline, but rather the standard of NHL opposition against whom he is to play in what will likely be, for all intents and purposes, his first real NHL season.

20. G Money says:

I must be misremembering that draft. I know there was a ton of Yak vs Murray discussion, but I thought the Yak vs Reinhart and Murray vs Reinhart considerations were muted, and disappeared pretty fast. The game was “Fail for Nail”!

The realistic range on Reinhart (the rrR as it were) is top pairing NHL all the way to top pairing AHL, with second pairing NHL remaining the median guess.

With defensemen whose primary calling card is, um, defense, you usually don’t know what you’ve got until you’re getting close to 25 years old and 200 NHL games in.

He’s big, several years of development in, can skate (but exactly how well is controversial), isn’t likely to score much, but his intangibles and hockey IQ are off the charts.

21. frjohnk says:

G Money: If nothing else, Griffin Reinhart is the most controversially interesting young player the Oilers have acquired by trade in quite a long while.

There will be less controversy the first time he pastes a flames player against the glass.

22. oilersjo says:

If you want to know about Griffen just as Leon. They had some beauty battles in both regular season and playoffs. Reinhardt was the only WHL defence an that could shut him down.

23. Cameron says:

Hey LT: Unlike others I don’t have any problem at all with your RE, but I do share the criticism of the mgt that the glaring black hole is on D, and that Reinhart, Gryba, and Sekera (and minus Petry) isn’t anything like the improvement necessary to be a competetive team, and that you are burning years of the saviour while you wait to fix it.

I also don’t think it’s quite fair to suggest that really good D-men don’t get traded. Burke over his career has traded for; Pronger, Phaneuf, and now Hamilton (and if you add up what he paid to get those guys it is borderline criminal).

At some point the hole on D isn’t going to just be a legacy of MacT and Tambo, it’s going to be on Chiarelli for not fixing.

The big issue is what assets do you move? The Edmonton core is all skewed to the forwards (McD, Hall, Nuge, Drai, Ebs, Yak, and, uh…Schultz), and worse, skewed to wingers over Cs.

Can Taylor Hall get you Roman Josi? Maybe-probably. But Eberle or Yakupov, likely won’t. To me, Chiarelli will earn his stripes when he has to make the decision to move out Nuge or Drai to fix the D and rebalance the team.

I’ll take my anger-coloured glasses off now.

G Money:

I must be misremembering that draft.I know there was a ton of Yak vs Murray discussion, but I thought the Yak vs Reinhart and Murray vs Reinhart considerations were muted, and disappeared pretty fast.The game was “Fail for Nail”!

The talk during the pre-draft and post-draft had Edmonton trading down slightly (No. 3 or so) and grabbing Reinhart.

25. cadooo says:

I’ve seen in the draft reports that Reinhart has a heavy shot. Could He be used on the Power play? We haven’t had a heavy shot since Souray.

cadooo:

Yes, it’s a factor. He played RH side in junior and hammered the puck on the pp a lot.

The Oilers only have one year of Gryba guaranteed. He is a UFA after this season. He was brought in to break in a young D on the 3rd pairing, not to babysit Ference or Nikitin.

Because Reinhart has a full year in the AHL, he is ready for 3rd pairing minutes in the NHL with a stable vet like Gryba.

Nurse has to be top 4 in the NHL or getting 25 minutes per game in all situations in the AHL. The more limited minutes of a 3rd pairing D in the NHL would be the wrong choice.

Ference is a pressbox player this year. #7. Nikitin will be in the AHL or traded with salary retained.

Opening night D, if no injuries.

Sekera, Fayne
    Klefbom, Schultz
    Reinhart, Gryba
    Ference in PB
    Nikitin in AHL or traded.

Nurse going supernova in camp could change this, but he is a rookie D, so that is unlikely.

Also, late in games, I expect McLellan might go to 4D.

Sekera Fayne
    Klefbom, Gryba

godot10,

Gryba only has 175 NHL games.

Not sure he classifies as a “stable vet” at this point in his career.

I like your Dpairs if you swap Nikitin with Ference.

Niktin was miles and miles better than Ference by every measure except games played.

Cameron,

Can Taylor Hall get you Roman Josi?

Oh FFS. If that’s the price of Josi then he’s worth more than any Flame.

Yes, after not having C forever Chia should trade one.

Go back to counting the hairs in Gaudreau’s teen-stache.

30. G Money says:

godot10,

You speak of many things as if they are certainties, but they are not.

Because Reinhart has a full year in the AHL, he is ready for 3rd pairing minutes in the NHL.

It’s not uncommon for defensemen, even elite ones, to spend two full years in the AHL. Example: Duncan Keith.

If he’s ready for the NHL, play him in the NHL. If he’s not, play him in the AHL.

Being in the NHL carries the advantage of practicing with an NHL team twice every day. There are far more practices than games. This can offset the ten fewer minutes on the ice.

It isn’t the case that Gryba has established himself as an unquestioned improvement over Ference and Nikitin. Both were disasters last year, but Ference was played too much and too high, and may still do OK in a third pairing role. Nikitin may demonstrate that last year was a loss to injury, or he may demonstrate that it wasn’t. We won’t know until training camp.

Even if we put Reinhart as a shoo-in for 6D (a big if) and are only auditioning for his veteran partner, it is far from certain that Gryba wins that job.

31. Pouzar says:

Connor McDavid AND Darnell Nurse. Just think about that for a second. WOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!

32. Ryan says:

Cameron,

I would tend to agree that trio is underwhelming. I was happy about the Sekera addition given what was available, but am less enthusiastic than many here about Reinhart–mostly because in the modern NHL, I prefer my dmen to be very mobile with a great outlet pass.

I’ll reserve judgements for later depending on how Chiarelli adjusts in season…

The challenge this up coming season is that there’s a ton of dead cap space in Ference, Nikitin, Scrivens, and Purcell as we all know… Plus the Jenga situation… The two Oilers that could potentially fetch the type of dman we need are Hall and Nuge. Trading either would leave a crater too big to fill in the short-term.

Look at the Oilers LW depth chart without Hall and try not to laugh… Even with Nuge, the Oilers depth a centre does not boast much experience.

Bar_Qu,

I disagree with this vehemently.

Nikitin was better than Ference and it wasn’t close last year.

In the Fayne thread I broke down an “expected Fenwick Against vs. Actual Fenwick against” metric that you can get from stats.hockeyanalayis.com page.

Here’s a link to my post

Here’s what it boils down to:

That being said, here are the FA/60 to OPPFF/60 deltas for the Oilers last year from best to worst. (note: doesn’t include Petry as David’s site doesn’t give partial season data)
    FAYNE, MARK -0.86
    KLEFBOM, OSCAR -0.64
    NIKITIN, NIKITA -0.40
    MARINCIN, MARTIN 1.21
    SCHULTZ, JUSTIN 1.22
    FERENCE, ANDREW 6.34
    AULIE, KEITH 6.34

By this metric Fayne was the most effective Dman in limiting unblocked shots against on the Oilers.

He allowed 0.86 less unblocked shot attempts per 60 than the average player did against the same group of opponents.

Quite good actually considering EDM ranked 23rd in FA/60 last year.

Klef is also dreamy.

Followed by Nikitin as the only other Dman who was better than average.

Then the year before, by the same metric:

Here’s 13/14’s deltas.
    No Oiler player did better than average. Oy Rookie coaches. Way to bench you best bet too eh?
    BELOV, ANTON 1.48
    PETRY, JEFF 2.81
    MARINCIN, MARTIN 3.99
    LARSEN, PHILIP 4.4
    FERENCE, ANDREW 7.68
    FRASER, MARK 7.71
    SCHULTZ, JUSTIN 8.03

There is simply nothing in Ference’s game that states he should be a NHL right now.

Imo.

34. Ryan says:

G Money,

I’m not trying to be confrontational here at all. I do have a hard time with projecting Reinhart though. Who do you have as comps for him? I keep thinking something like a Mark Fayne?

35. Tire Fire says:

Cameron:

Skewed to wingers over C’s eh?

Sometimes it’s better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

36. G Money says:

Ryan:
    G Money,

I’m not trying to be confrontational here at all.I do have a hard time with projecting Reinhart though.Who do you have as comps for him?I keep thinking something like a Mark Fayne?

I’m with you! As I noted earlier, Reinhart is one of the most difficult (and in that sense, interesting) players to try and project, because his long-term range really could be “first pairing shutdown horse” to “first callup from the AHL”.

I think the best comp I can come up with is Braydon Coburn.

If you’re familiar with OwnThePuck’s HERO charts, this is the chart for Coburn, and I think that is very much in line with what the verbal on Reinhart’s strengths suggest he’ll look like too.

TOI: top pairing
    Pts: borderline third/second pairing
    Shot metrics: solid second pairing, except CA, which is top pairing

Practically the template of a top end but still second pairing shutdown D.

37. Pouzar says:

G Money:
    Speaking of D and trades and rumours, this just came across my Twitter feed.

Saw that as well. Didn’t post cause I have no idea how credible they are.

38. G Money says:

Pouzar: Saw that as well. Didn’t post cause I have no idea how credible they are.

Speaking of which, what is the official name for people who are on Twitter? I assume it is “Twats”, but correct me if I’m wrong.

39. Pouzar says:

G Money,

“Twat” sounds about right.

40. Bar_Qu says:

Cameron,

I think the Oil have the nucleus of a pretty great D right now, just not ready yet. I think Nures, Klef, Reinhart, Sekera and Fayne make the D pairs easy to rotate against any top opposition, for sure in 2016-17 and maybe even in later 2015-16.

It doesn’t make sense, imo, to trade for another top D and risk weakening the forwards, just to push the clock forward by 6 months. Realistically, the Oilers would be unlikely to make the playoffs this year even with another top D, just because of the lack of experience/abundance of youth. Why not get the team to be competitive this year, off-load bad contracts at the trade deadline, excuse me I meant to say veteran D, and be set up well for the following season?

If the team is competitive, stays in the hunt until Feb/March, then the forward steps will have been accomplished.

G Money: Me neither, but I figured by saying it was on my Twitter feed, I protect myself from any potential lack of credibility.

Speaking of which, what is the official name for people who are on Twitter?I assume it is “Twats”, but correct me if I’m wrong.

Just passed over the obvious “twits” ?

Or do you consider “twat” to be a plural of “twit”?

42. G Money says:

Woodguy: Just passed over the obvious “twits” ?

Too easily confused with ‘tweets’, so I went with the version that had a little acoustic differentiation.

43. Dominoiler says:

frjohnk,

Cheers to that!!

I’m an one of the many that were hyped up on draft picks at the time of the draft, thanks a lot LT 😉 and have since really come around to appreciating this trade. GR is a perfect fit, similar to nurse, for, I think, what MM meant to many of us, except better (more physical, stronger, better pedigree).. I’m not concerned with his drop in prospect rankings. I think posters have already identified the bias towards the latest greatest shiny new (forward) prospect on that / those lists.

I am also a supporter of their roster spots being, temporarily, blocked be those less that stellar vets / contracts (would be better without them, but that isn’t the case.. Get those contacts off the books without too much long term pain, I hope, then bring on those juicy elc stud dmen (once again, I hope)..

44. B S says:

cadooo:

I think this is a bit of a misconception about the team. Martin Marincin had a 100 mph slapper, and Petry was knocking on the door of that at times and was accurate with it. I think it’s more correct to say that the Oilers haven’t used a heavy shot on the PP since Souray. I don’t think they’re the only ones. Chara doesn’t rip it from the point anymore and it generally seems to be missing from a lot of systems now. I think this might be to avoid injuring your own players but I’m not sure. It could also be because all the shot blocking makes it far less useful.

45. PerryK says:

Woodguy:
    Cameron,

Can Taylor Hall get you Roman Josi?

Oh FFS.If that’s the price of Josi then he’s worth more than any Flame.

Yes, after not having C forever Chia should trade one.

Go back to counting the hairs in Gaudreau’s teen-stache.

ROFLMAO!

Well said Woodguy.

46. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Pouzar:

Pace yourself bud. Is your yard-work done already?

Woodguy: Go back to counting the hairs in Gaudreau’s teen-stache.

Had to spit my coffee back into the cup! Oh well, at least it’s my own spit this time.

verdad2.0,

Back away from the ledge – there’s 50-some days to go until Chiarelli actually ices his team. This includes ‘cap compliance’ day, which will see a few teams make difficult roster decisions. You’re talking like the Oilers are 4-17-2 to start the season already. And there’s only one ‘a’ in McLellan.

47. goalie1976 says:

I like this player a lot, thus I like the trade to get him (even though the price was high)

I think Griffin will be a solid lynch pin on the 2nd pairing, to free up his future partner, (Klef, Nurse, Sekera, ect) to roam and free wheel. (2016)

Honestly, a year from now I think we’ll be talking about a really nice, albeit young talented top 4, with the above players mentioned. If Talbot can stop some pucks, look out!

48. verdad2.0 says:

Bar_Qu,

OEL
    Total commitment to getting him should be an organizational priority
    As I have said repeatedly , offer up anyone for me but MacDavid
    If this team can’t play defence , it can’t play
    How many decades to we waste not getting this
    Players like Hall and Eberle are not keepers if you can get a real #1 defenceman for them

49. verdad2.0 says:

thegabe,

Over the MacTavish era, if you insist!

50. goalie1976 says:

Bar_Qu:
    Cameron,

TOTALLY AGREE!

Let’s see what the big young 3 do with their NHL opportunity this season (Klef, Nurse, Griffin) our problems with defense could already be in-house, plus vets Sekera and Fayne. Once we unload some dead weight at the deadline, we’ll see what we have. No reason to trade a big-time forward to fix the D when it may not be broken, just inexperienced. I would hate to trade Eberle or Hall for a d=man, only to find by 2016 maybe we already had the pieces.

51. Bar_Qu says:

verdad2.0,

Thank you for clarifying. I was unsure.

52. verdad2.0 says:

Bar_Qu,

This is the ridiculous mentality that has doomed the Oilers for a decade.
    An organization that doesn’t make making the playoffs this season is one that never makes the playoffs.
    No fan abuse has been more abused by this mentality than the Oilers fan base.

All indications are that Chiarelli doesn’t have the will to move out his forward assets to fix the defense.
    Until that is done nothing will improve.

Just ask yourself what would Mourinho do? Win with defense. No team wins without out.
    Oilers have been so woeful because of failing to understand that.

53. goalie1976 says:

verdad2.0:
    Bar_Qu,

OEL
    Total commitment to getting him should be an organizational priority
    As I have said repeatedly , offer up anyone for me but MacDavid
    If this team can’t play defence , itcan’t play
    How many decades to we waste not getting this
    Players like Hall and Eberle are not keepersif you can get a real #1 defenceman for them

I disagree with this (for right now). I don’t think trading the best LW in hockey for a d-man, who Nurse might end up better than anyway is a priority. This is a conversation for next summer, when we know more about Klef, Nurse, Griffin. I would bet, just on performance and pedigree, that 2 of the 3 will turn out quite well. Maybe even all 3.

If this is next off-season, and Leon or Yakopov has shown enough to make you feel comfortable to replace Eberle or Hall with them, then this idea could be re-visited. but right now you would be crippling the forward group to add to the D group, who looks to have the pieces already.

54. Dominoiler says:

Woodguy:
    Cameron,

Can Taylor Hall get you Roman Josi?

Oh FFS…

Go back to counting the hairs in Gaudreau’s teen-stache.

Haha, *High Five* !!

55. verdad2.0 says:

goalie1976,

All champions win with defense and functional offence.
    With MacDavid , any collection of stiffs can play with him.
    Remember Wayne Gretzky and Blair MacDonald?

It should not be about waiting for Klefbom and Nurse. It is about fixing the fundamental problem of the Oilers finally, which is get a #1 defenceman , couple that with a team mentality that emphasizes team defence and grit.
    All of which would lead one logically to offer up Hall or Eberle without much hesitation.
    Otherwise enjoy another dismal season, but defensive breakdown and ineptitude, ( thats the Schultz, Ference, Nikitin aspect).

56. Revolved says:

Woodguy,

I was curious about how your FA-OppFF looked for the new Oilers D, so I ran the numbers for Reinhart. If I’ve done it correctly it looks like this (along with several D on the Isles for comparison)

Leddy -4.86
    DeHann -3.76
    Donovan +0.07 (in 190 minutes)
    Hamonic +1.7
    Reinhart +2.12 (in 100 minutes)
    Strait +5.61

I had thought that Reinhart belonged in the NHL to start next year, but given these results and the backlog of vets we have, perhaps it would be best for him and Nurse to get to know each other better in the AHL.

Also, the same page contains a stat called FA60RelTm, which seems to mirror the above numbers quite well.

57. slopitch says:

verdad2.0,

I’m with you that the Oilers won “win” without improving the defence signficantly. That being said I disagree that they need to move Taylor Hall to do it. I quoted win because I’m not sure if win means playoffs or 2 rounds or what. For now I think win means win a round in the playoffs. I think as the roster is currently assembled they can get into the playoffs this year

IMO the play is to get that top pairing dman during the season this year via trade. Let NN and Purcell’s contracts lessen, give them more time to see what they have inNurse and Reinhart. They did get the best available dman via this summer. This is ready an improvement on Tambellini.

Also macdavid!

58. G Money says:

verdad2.0,

Please show us the emails you have from Don Maloney indicating that Arizona will trade OEL.

You must have some right? That would be the only logical explanation for your bizarre fixation on OEL (who isn’t even the best D out there, by a wide margin),

Because the funny thing is, in public, Maloney’s said that OEL is a fundamental building block to the ARI rebuild, and he’s not trading him. So he’s not trading him for Hall. McDavid, yes. Hall, no.

Chia’s done plenty of work on the D so far – including, unfortunately and primarily as a side effect of the catastrophic stupidity of Sweeney and Neeley, gifting Doug Hamilton to the Flames.

Don’t doubt Chia will do more as and when the opportunity arises.

So, please, give it up. We’ve heard it. We know you’re OCD about OEL. But he’s not coming here, not at any price short of McDavid. Your insistence that this is the only logical and rational course is already WAY beyond illogical and irrational.

59. goalie1976 says:

verdad2.0:
    goalie1976,

All champions win with defense and functional offence.
    With MacDavid , any collection of stiffs can play with him.
    Remember Wayne Gretzky and Blair MacDonald?

You have no argument with me about defense, and it’s requirement to championships.

I think that next off-season is the time to make your suggested move. The value of Hall, after cashing in McD passes all season could be 30g and 90pts. His value would be considerably more than this season when he was hurt and finished on a line with Lander and Miller. I hate the idea of trading low on our most valuable assets.

Maybe Nuge zooms up Eberle’s numbers or even Poiliot, then you move one of them instead. Plus if you are moving one of your big forwards, it would be nice to be able to replace them with Yak or Drai, which is not known at this time.

I totally am with you on your idea, just not this off-season, when our guys are worth much less than 100 cents on the dollar. I was totally on the ‘trade Eberle’ crowd, after he had his 75 pt season, that was his high water mark, we could have got a great dman at that time for him.

Ideally in a prefect world, MacD/Nuge, zooms one of Hall/Ebs/Pouliot/Lean/Yak in a big way, then you are cashing in 1 of those chips for your defenseman.

60. verdad2.0 says:

G Money,

At some price Maloney trades OEL.
    For Arizona, they have no offencse , and no one in the seats. They actually need a Taylor Hall.
    The point is to try.

Its not a bizarre fixation. its actually what this team needs to actually improve for the first time in a decade.

I assume you watch NHL hockey. The most important play in the game today is being able to get the puck out of your end after the endless number of dump-ins by the opposition. This simple play has escaped the Oilers for a decade. Hall etal have never been enough to overcome that failing. Fix it at long last.

61. Cameron says:

Woodguy:
    Cameron,

Can Taylor Hall get you Roman Josi?

Oh FFS.If that’s the price of Josi then he’s worth more than any Flame.

Yes, after not having C forever Chia should trade one.

Go back to counting the hairs in Gaudreau’s teen-stache.

A. In the league today a winger rarely gets you a D-man. In Josi’s case he’s a legit possession driving top pairing D-man on a super-value contract. Would Hall do it? Maybe-probably. I’m not sure if I were in charge of the Preds that I’d be looking at moving a piece from my D like Josi to get a scoring winger with a higher ticket. For Nuge or Drai, I’d be interested.

B. Given a wing for D deal is unlikely, that leaves a C for D deal (because lets face it, a D for D deal is pretty much absurd to contemplate). Given you now have three young pivots with skill to build around, it makes sense to deal from strength to get what you (rather desperately) need.

62. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

G Money: OCD about OEL

Because you can’t spell COOLED without OCD and OEL!

63. Bar_Qu says:

verdad2.0,

My position is based on the fact (which i can’t be bothered to find right now) that NHL teams do not improve by 40pts in the standing in one year. It just doesn’t happen. To expect by adding a couple of players, the Oil will then make the playoffs next year is not reasonable.

I also share the desire to see the Oil make it this year, but I want them first and foremost to improve in a way that is sustainable and doesn’t hurt the team overall. Defense by committee through the period following Christmas does this and keeps the forwards in tact. And allows the team more cap flexibility next summer.

That is good GM work.

64. Pouzar says:

JD¡™ David O’Connor’s Reel: Pace yourself bud. Is your yard-work done already?

Stay off my lawn!

Revolved:
    Woodguy,

Leddy -4.86
    DeHann -3.76
    Donovan +0.07 (in 190 minutes)
    Hamonic +1.7
    Reinhart +2.12 (in 100 minutes)
    Strait +5.61

Be careful of your sample size here.

Reinhart only had 100 minutes in 8 NHL games and that’s hardly enough to anything with.

That being said, remember that half the NHL Dmen will have a positive (bad) number due to the nature of the metric.

Using minimum 500 min TOI, here’s the players in that neighbourhood:

REDMOND, ZACH 2.00
    HUNWICK, MATT 2.03
    JOSI, ROMAN 2.03
    SEABROOK, BRENT 2.06
    FRANSON, CODY 2.09
    GARDINER, JAKE 2.11
    KLEIN, KEVIN 2.12
    CECI, CODY 2.3

So I wouldn’t look at his number and declare he’s not a NHLer.

There are 204 NHL DMen who qualified at 500 min.

If we assume the bottom 10% either borderline NHLers, playing way above their NHL ability, and/or bad players on bad teams the list would be:

(remember there are team and team mate influences that make this metric not the best to use to compare players from other teams, but I’m doing it anyway for fun)

Bottom 10%

ROBIDAS, STEPHANE -8.18
    DALEY, TREVOR -8.28
    PHANEUF, DION -8.83
    RISTOLAINEN, RASMUS -10.82
    MESZAROS, ANDREJ -10.85
    BENOIT, ANDRE -11.82

Lots of Old DMen, Young DMen and Flames on that list.

66. Revolved says:

Looking at these Fenwick scores for all the Oilers D that played last year is making me seriously question some of the things that are being said about the Oiler’s prospect pool:

If I understand correctly, FF60 RelTM judges offensive ability, FA60 RelTM judges defensive ability, and FF% RelTM sums the two, while OppFF% is sort of QoC.

Player FF60 RelTM FA60 RelTM FF% RelTM OppFF%
    Oesterle 0.70 -5.43 3.8 52.2
    Klefbom 2.64 -2.67 3.3 50.4
    Shultz 4.23 -0.62 3.0 50.0
    Nikitin -0.31 -2.44 1.3 49.9
    Davidson -2.16 -3.54 0.7 50.3
    Marincin 0.17 -0.51 0.4 50.2
    Hunt -0.21 1.62 -1.1 49.5
    Fayne -6.97 -2.20 -3.4 50.4
    Aulie -2.54 4.82 -4.4 49.5
    Musil 0.88 11.85 -5.6 51.1
    Ference -2.65 7.35 -6.0 50.4

Fayne is a defensive D, which plays out here, reducing events for and against. Klefbom looks the whole package. Shultz really does push offense. Ference and Aulie really are poop.

However, I’ve heard Oesterle refered to as a chaos D type, but he faced the toughest opponents on the team (in 70 minutes) and shut them down better than anyone, while also improving FF.

I’ve also heard of Musil refered to as a defensive D man, while Davidson is more two way, but Davidson looks like the effective shut down D here, while Musil looks like the most chaotic D on this list (albeit against tough Opp).

Anyway, sample size is a concern, but Oesterle has got to play up the depth chart in the AHL and be an early recall.

67. Pouzar says:

Cameron: C. Johnny G’s teen-stache outscored Hall by 20+ points last year, and his rookie season was better than all but one of Hall’s years.

Just wow.

68. LadiesloveSmid says:

Cameron,

wait, Johnny’s 21YO season he outscored Hall’s 18YO season? what a country! Hall was top 10 in league scoring at Gaudreau’s age.

let’s not forget Hall’s #1D was Tom Gilbert, not a top 5-10 D league wide

context, my friend. context. Call me when Johnny Puberty puts up 80

Cameron,

Stache’s rookie year was a good one, but you are mistaken about everything else.

JG pts/gm 0.80

Hall 1 – 0.65
    Hall 2 – 0.87
    Hall 3 – 1.11
    Hall 4 – 1.07 -Same age as Stache’s AWESOME rookie 0.80
    Hall 5 – 0.72 – should not have come back from his injury so soon

Hall 5 pre-injury – 0.91
    Hall 5 post-injury – 0.67

I can’t wait for the season.

All the Flames fans tears will be delicious when their team’s results are closer to expectation and they realize that they are just a simply below average team with a handful of good young players.

70. G Money says:

verdad2.0,

For a rebuilding offense, ARI already has Dylan Strome in the fold, the big C to build around up front. They also have Max Domi, Nick Merkley, and Henrik Samuelsson.

On D, they have OEL to build around.

Why would they trade OEL for a player, or even players, up front? Trade from weakness to shore up your strengths? No. Especially since immediate help up front is the last thing they’ll want given this year will almost certainly be another tank year for them.

At some price, Maloney trades OEL. Yes, that’s true. The price is McDavid.

The need to continue to improve the defense is understood by everyone. I haven’t seen a single person suggest that Chiarelli should stand pat.

The Hall-for-OEL idea has also been floated in the past, and most people, as much as we’d hate to see Hall go, understand that would be better for the team. But the conversation doesn’t go any farther because it’s not really a credible trade.

That’s what makes it a bizarre fixation – it is with respect to OEL, who isn’t coming here for any price this team should pay.

71. Pouzar says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Cameron,

let’s not forget Hall’s #1D was Tom Gilbert, not a top 5-10 D league wide

context, my friend. context. Call me when Johnny Puberty puts up 80

That was such a terrible troll effort “just wow” was all I could muster.

72. Revolved says:

Woodguy,

One reason it is interesting to look at the offensive side of these things is because some of the guys on your bottom 10% list are likely making up for some of their defensive issues with offensive potential.

Regardless if they are making up the difference or not (mostly not), that is a list of chaos D on bad teams. If Reinhart is anywhere near that, the AHL sounds just like what he needs some more of.

73. Adam Wu says:

The numbers (we are a numbers blog here, no? we do believe that when numbers and eye conflict, numbers should be given greater weight, no?) on Nikitin are unequivocal. He is actually serviceable in a bottom pairing role when healthy.

If he is unhealthy, IR him, then call up one of the kids to replace him, and then send him to the AHL for a conditioning stint. Next offseason his salary comes off the books with no penalty.

If he stays healthy and plays in the bottom pairing, he’ll probably fetch a draft pick at the trade deadline. The fact the he was clearly unhealthy this year is probably why no other GM is biting on trading for him now.

This “mortgage your future to get rid of Nikitin NOW, NOW RIGHT NOW” talk is lunacy.

From the moment MacT get Nikitin it was obvious from salary and term that he was always intended to be a 2 year stop-gap placeholder for Nurse.

Ference is the black hole that needs to be disposed of. He’s the cross Chia inherited from MacT to bear. (Which might be karma, since he dumped Ference on MacT in the first place)

74. Adam Wu says:

If the Oilers ever raised the possibility of a Hall for OEL trade, we would likely not know about it. Particularly if Arizona rejected them flat out, which I have no doubt Arizona would have done, if they are anything near competent.

75. G Money says:

Revolved: All very true. Sample size is probably the biggest concern, but it puts him in the context of the Islanders last year, where he was not really kicking the door down.

It’s not just sample size though.

These were his first games in the NHL as well.

A “rough edges” performance is to be expected.

And Woodguy’s point is that, according to those numbers, even with that small sample, Reinhart’s performance was in any case quite OK, even before you make that first games allowance.

I remember the year he was drafted, Nurse was parachuted from the WHL playoffs into the last few Barons games and then 3 games of the AHL playoffs – and did not look good. This was cause for concern for many.

I was baffled. FIRST SEVEN GAMES AS A PRO. C’mon people! What did you expect? Not just his first seven games, but worse still, his first taste of the pro game is in the thick of a playoff race and then the playoffs, when every player is in top form and is playing all out.

For him to look anything other than out of his depth for those first bunch of games would have been surprising.

This year of course, the same thing happened and it was old hat for Nurse. Been there done that. Within a couple of games he was essentially top pairing for the Barons.

These development opportunities matter a ton for young players.

We should see the same sort of learning curve from Reinhart in his second stint in the NHL too, which is why it wouldn’t be a big shocker if he plays in the NHL this fall.

76. Revolved says:

G Money,

We do not disagree. I am not concerned that Reinhart only treaded water in his first games in the NHL. I, for one, think it was a great trade to aquire him and look forward to him on the Oiler D.

My comment referred to where he should start the year. I thought he should make the team, the stats now open me up to the idea of him starting in the AHL. If he and Nurse could gain some chemistry before making the jump, that could be a big plus going forward.

77. verdad2.0 says:

Bar_Qu,

No its just more of the same old same old.
    Its not trying to change. Its believing the old garbage somehow works.
    All the while MacDavid is wasted for a year.
    The Oilers are in no position to be patient.

78. verdad2.0 says:

G Money,

Dylan Strome is a bust before he even plays his first game.
    Did anyone watch the Erie playoffs? MacDavid plays his heart out, Strome missing in action.
    The other players you mention have minimal prospect of offensive impact in the short run in the NHL.
    Arizona needs real offensive players.

Force the issue with Arizona.

79. Cameron says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Cameron,

let’s not forget Hall’s #1D was Tom Gilbert, not a top 5-10 D league wide

context, my friend. context. Call me when Johnny Puberty puts up 80

You guys get all focussed on the teen-stache nonsense and then make my original point for me.

The Oilers D is borderline horrendous, and Chiarelli hasn’t done anythibng substantive to address it. (I consider Petry-Sekera a wash, Gryba to be a 7th Dman on a good team, and Reinhart an excellent prospect you overpaid for). Carolina, Buffalo, and LA all thought so highly of Sekera that he was moved on. His only 40+ pt season came at age 27. I’m not saying he’s bad, but he isn’t a first pairing guy.

As for the Johnny G vs Hall stuff, let’s remember that Hall was a 1ov, and Teen-stache a 4th rounder, and health counts. Not Johnny G’s fault that Hall can’t stay healthy enough to post better totals, or that Cgy built a defense corps of capable NHL players to get him the puck, and Edm hasn’t done the same for Hall.

80. verdad2.0 says:

On what actual play from last season does anyone suggest that Nikitin is worth playing?
    Show me the actual game.
    Not statistics but actual game footage.

Instead savor the sequence early in the season against Vancouver when he is slow, out of position, timid, and manages to injure himself.

Tell me with that he is worth playing next year.

Leaving aside the need for a real #1, there is no case for Nikitin to have been kept for this season.

81. Adam Wu says:

Show me the actual game.
    Not statistics but actual game footage.

In other words, for you “see him good for a single highlight” > stats accrued over multiple games.

Such a laughable position does not even require a response.

82. frjohnk says:

verdad2.0:
    Show me the actual game.
    Not statistics but actual game footage.

Tell me with that he is worth playing next year.

I am not a Nikitin fan, and I have put forward the notion of a buyout for him a few times.

But letting Nikitins contract run its course might be the best course of action.

Even though a buyout penalty of $1.5 Million for 15-16 and $1.5 Million for 16-17 may not seem like much, the possibility of a shrinking cap ( Im looking at you Can $) in the next couple of years is very real. A Nikitin buyout would just decrease the amount we can spend on players when we really need to be competitive.

After McDavid’s 1st year, Chia will know what kind of team he has and I would suspect Chia makes a bigger push to not just be competing for a playoff spot, but be a Stanley Cup contender for the 16-17 season.

I bet $1.5 Million would come in handy in the UFA bargain bin next summer.

We don’t know the specifics, but maybe the plan is for Nurse or Reinhart to start in the minors and once some of the season has been played, ( 40 games or so) Nikitin gets traded with some salary retained opening up a spot for 1 of those guys.

Save every penny for when we really need it.

83. verdad2.0 says:

Adam Wu,

Eakins believed in stats too.
    Enough said.

Some moments say all you need to know about a player.
    Applies to Nikitin.

84. verdad2.0 says:

Starting with the season with Ference and Nikitn in the line-up over Nurse and Reinhart is just a waste of time.

85. G Money says:

verdad2.0: Dylan Strome is a bust before he even plays his first game.

He was injured. Guess you don’t know as much about the game as you think you do.

verdad2.0: Force the issue with Arizona.

Oh! I’m sorry, of course! I should have realized. You don’t need the other guy to agree to a trade. Just force the issue!

What do you propose?

WG has a place out in Arizona I hear, perhaps he could beat Maloney up every day and take his lunch money until he agrees to trade us OEL for, say, Purcell.

Sure, that could work.

86. Bar_Qu says:

verdad2.0,

Believe me, I am not in “we can’t make the playoffs, so whatever” crowd. I think the goal should be to make the playoffs, from a team perspective. From my fan perspective (which I admittedly did not clarify before) I am not expecting the playoffs and I would hope Chiarelli is balancing off the need to make the team good for good, against getting to the playoffs this year. In my opinion, I think he has done that. Personally I would have bought out either Nikitin or Ference, but I understand managing the cap over the next three years weighed against it.

Playing them bottom pairing roles mitigates their weaknesses until the cavalry can arrive after Christmas when you can look at trading them to teams who might want vet D with character. And it keeps their cap off the hit.

Chiarelli and McLellan are going to play the best six defensemen. Nikitin’s contract means he can be waived and serve as injury insurance. If you waive him, one likely gets phone calls from teams willing to take him at half price (if there are injuries in training camp). Ference gets to eat unbuttered popcorn in the pressbox for two years…putting his no move clause to good use.

88. RexLibris says:

August 15th and a Dillon Simpson article gets 8 comments.

Griffin Reinhart article gets 90+ comments.

Truer words.

89. jm363561 says:

John Chambers:
    In time it’ll be evident that Chia Pete snowed Garth.

We on the other hand get a tower for out top-4 defense on an ELC.
    ==================

If I were a gambling man this is my bet. I just wouldn’t make it too big.

Oilers are better this year on D not because the top 6 are better but because they have much greater depth. Injuries will not totally derail the blue line this year.