EVERYBODY’S GRETZKY

It’s like there’s something in the water.  A week from now, a normally adult, hard-working city will begin to act like school children on dubble bubble and Freshie. After a decade of disappointment, is this the fall that delivers more wins and losses? Will the Oilers be good enough to sustain talk of contention? Will the McDavid addition have us talking about Edmonton’s first Calder Trophy? Will McLellan’s power play make other teams lay off using the lumber on the youngsters? Will this team find a magic Pisani, that two-way forward who can calm the waters on an inexperienced line? We wait. Not much longer, though!

PROJECTED TRAINING CAMP ROSTER (UNOFFICIAL)

1. G Cam Talbot—The No. 1 job is his to lose, and he can’t lose
  2. G Ben Scrivens—Early word has him ready, not sure it matters
  3. G Anders Nilsson—I think he might be a major story this TC
  4. G Laurent Brossoit—AHL starter but McLellan saw him good
  5. G Eetu Laurikainen—A great damn bet
  6. G Keven Bouchard—Junior goalie will get a look in Penticton, then back to junior
  7. G Jordan Papirny—No. 58 on Nickolet’s list.
  8. D Andrej Sekera—Edmonton’s No. 1 defenseman the moment he signed.
  9. D Mark Fayne—Stay-at-home defender should play a prominent role.
  10. D Oscar Klefbom—He’ll be a big part of the team this season—from the start.
  11. D Justin Schultz—He could score 50 points or not get tendered. WIDE open.
  12. D Nikita Nikitin—Here’s hoping he passes the physical.
  13. D Eric Gryba—The new Andy Sutton is gonna cut them down.
  14. D Andrew Ference—Veteran is the captain and fighting for his job. Unusual situation.
  15. D Brandon Davidson—Bubble blue with onrushing impact prospects. Easy peasy.
  16. D Griffin Reinhart—Big defender needs to jump a veteran and hold off a better prospect.
  17. D Darnell Nurse—I think he might be a top 4D by this time next season. Seriously.
  18. D Brad Hunt—Impact AHL offensive defenseman. I don’t know if there’s an NHL road.
  19. D David Musil—Oilers like him, he has one more season of waiver eligibility. He or Davidson win a depth job at some point, I’d expect.
  20. D Jordan Oesterle—Talented college player impressed in year one AHL. What now?
  21. D Dillon Simpson—More improvement in the AHL, remains well down pro depth chart.
  22. D Martin Gernat—Hopefully better days ahead.
  23. D Ben Betker—Huge blue begins his pro career. He’s a good skater, that’s a good sign.
  24. D Joey Laleggia—Unique numbers and skills. That’s always a good thing for a prospect.
  25. D Caleb Jones—Faster and better with the puck than the scouting reports/boxcars imply.
  26. D Ethan Bear—A nice draft year, this season should tell us a lot.
  27. D Kevin Davis—No. 36 on Nickolet’s list.
  28. D Colton Waltz—Tough defender, unlikely to make main camp.
  29. D Loik Leveille—There’s a chance they sign him.
  30. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—He’s going to be a big part of any success for Edmonton.
  31. C Connor McDavid—This is a once in a lifetime gift, twice if you’re old like me.
  32. C Anton Lander—I’m not sure of his role but it should be significant.
  33. C Mark Letestu—He has a nice range of skills, could see action on multiple lines.
  34. C Leon Draisaitl—McLellan mentioned the T word (Thornton) and the wing.
  35. C Bogdan Yakimov—Impressed early and often last year. Can he do it again?
  36. C Jujhar Khaira—Another young F who showed well in the first week of TC last season.
  37. C Kyle Platzer—Strong one year ago in TC, we’ll see what a year can do.
  38. C Alexis Loiseau—Penticton will be a great opportunity for him to show well.
  39. C Marco Roy—He played well at rookie camp a year ago.
  40. C Tyler Soy—Skill F, will show his stuff and head back to junior.
  41. C Cole Linaker—No. 81 on Nickolet’s list.
  42. L Taylor Hall—Health is the only worry, he’s a fantastic NHL player.
  43. L Benoit Pouliot—Important piece on this team, also needs health.
  44. L Lauri Korpikoski—Likely “Pisani” for this team, needs a comeback season.
  45. L Matt Hendricks—Can he repeat last year’s impressive performance?
  46. L Luke Gazdic—They won’t Stortini him, but he could be HS opening night.
  47. L Ryan Hamilton—If he had a little more speed, he’d be an NHL factor.
  48. L Anton Slepyshev—Anticipation! Can’t wait to see this guy play.
  49. L Mitch Moroz—Showed well early in Penticton a year ago.
  50. L Kale Kessy—This could be an emerging story if the uptick in speed remains.
  51. L Connor Rankin—Rugged winger can score.
  52. L Braden Christoffer—Tough, undersized and skilled.
  53. R Jordan Eberle—So consistent he gets overlooked. Very valuable.
  54. R Nail Yakupov—His skills are somewhat unique on this roster.
  55. R Teddy Purcell—Enormous opportunity for the veteran in a walk year.
  56. R Rob Klinkhammer—Veteran with size and speed. That has value.
  57. R Tyler Pitlick—He’s fast enough and rugged too. Health always an issue.
  58. R Iiro Pakarinen—He’s capable of passing some men in front of him. Shooter.
  59. R Andrew Miller—Has the speed to stand out in this crowd.
  60. R Greg Chase—He’ll be relied on in Penticton to play with an edge.
  61. F Rihards Bukarts—No. 50 on Nickolet’s list.
  62. R Cole Sanford—Outstanding scorer, on the NHL.com list.

PROJECTED OPENING NIGHT LINEUP

• Pouliot—Nuge—Eberle
  • Hall—McDavid—Purcell
  • Korpikoski—Lander—Yakupov
  • Hendricks—Letestu—Klinkhammer
  • Sekera—Fayne
  • Klefbom—Schultz
  • Nikitin—Gryba
  • Talbot (Scrivens)

That’s every veteran available plus The One. Mclellan is going to run the living daylights out of the top two lines and I do think both Korpikoski and Yakupov will push for Purcell’s spot as listed above. My RE totals have seven men getting the points and that battle could last until the deadline. I suspect foot speed is going to be Purcell’s downfall but don’t underestimate the veteran. He’s fantastic with the puck.

I think we may see another invite to rookie camp (a tough F who can play the policeman in Penticton) and possibly a Kevin Westgarth type for main camp too. McLellan may want a big man who can play and that fellow might be Kale Kessy.

The biggest battles this camp? Backup goalie, the entire right side up front after Eberle and Lander-Letestu for 3C. For the first time in exactly forever, the Edmonton Oilers may arrive at the end of training camp with a veteran on the outside looking in.

OILERS ROOKIES- U OF A ROSTER 2014

• Mitch Moroz – Leon Draisaitl – Mitch Holmberg
  • Vladdy Hockey – Bogdan Yakimov – Greg Chase
  • Travis Ewanyk – Jujhar Khaira – Kale Kessy
  • Connor Jones – Kellen Jones – Kyle Platzer
  • Jordan Oesterle – Dillon Simpson
  • Darnell Nurse – C.J. Ludwig
  • David Musil – Martin Gernat
  • Laurent Brossoit (Ty Rimmer)

In the what a difference a year makes category, I offer you this look back at one year ago and the UofA game. The lineup was much bigger up front than in previous seasons and specifically up the middle. Edmonton wasted a lot of at-bats on Vladimir Tkachev that could have been devoted to other kids—that’s another example of why the Oilers have been so bad. They simply shoot themselves in the foot in all areas and even though it’s a small item it really isn’t when you consider how hard these kids try to impress. Hopefully we’ve seen the last of these types of moments.

OILERS ROOKIES- U OF A ROSTER 2015 ESTIMATED

• Loiseau—McDavid—Draisaitl
  • Slepyshev—Yakimov—Chase
  • Moroz—Platzer—Buharts
  • Christoffer—Soy—Roy
  • Nurse—Bear
  • Laleggia—Leveille
  • Jones—Betker
  • Bouchard—Papirny

hurdle gif

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

10 this morning, a busy show and lots to talk about. TSN 1260.

• Steve Lansky, Big Mouth Sports. Jays and US Open matches today for Genie and Milos.
  • Brian Swane, Edmonton Sun. Oil Kings gearing up, Eddies need a W.
  • Brad Gagnon, Bleacher Report and CBS Sports. NFL talk as we gear up for Week 1 next Thursday!
  • Paul Almeida, Saturday Sports Extra. The man, the myth, the opinion! We’ll chat Oilers, Blue Jays and Eskimos.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide twitter. Loooooooooooooooooooooong weekend gets started at 10!!!!

115 Responses to "EVERYBODY’S GRETZKY"

1. Cameron says:

LT: If you made that gif a permanent resident in your posts I would not complain.

Ever.

Your comments about ‘Vladdy Hockey’ are interesting, I was convinced that Oilers brass would throw a late pick at him after the showing he had last year. What happened to take him out of consideration? By eye he continued to flash the same skills, was it that there was no longer a roster spot for him?

2. wheatnoil says:

Cameron:

New boss-man in charge might have changed things.

He also didn’t really improve in points/game (though he maintained a p/g pace) so it became easier to pass on him. I think he’s still eligible for an over-age season in the Q though he would’ve been reasonable as an AHL deal, in my opinion.

3. sportsjunkie007 says:

Nikita Nikitin-here’s hoping he gives the Oilers a valid reason to void his contract. Errr… I mean…. here’s hoping this season is a complete reversal of last season.

4. flyfish1168 says:

I am happy we did not sign Vladimir Tkachev, his chances of being an NHL players is slime. No need to sign and waste a position on the 50 contract limit. He was just ok in the Q, older player and yet he didn’t dominant.

5. Hammers says:

I just can’t imagine Leon not making the opening lineup and on the R wing with either McDavid or Lander . Pushes Purcell down the line up as I would also play Yak with Hall & Mc. Those top lines have to score 2/3rds of the goals scored by forwards .

6. RMGS says:

Here’s a beauty of an interview with the new coach. It’s hard to overstate his impact on this team.

7. Ducey says:

2.G Ben Scrivens—Early word has him ready, not sure it matters

It does matter. A regression to the meats would result in depth at an important position, give the Oilers more bargaining power with Talbot, and perhaps give the Oilers a trade chip at the deadline.

I watched Scrivens practice with the Oilers’ goalie coach last night for about an hour. They were taking video of his moves across the crease. He is putting in the work.

8. Soup Fascist says:

Too bad the Oilers did not invite the Hawaiian goal scoring phenomn, Eddie Poi to rookie camp. He would have fit in well on the left side on the 4th line at the Bears vs. Rookies game.

9. flyfish1168 says:

Hammers:

10. Aitch says:

I don’t spend much time thinking about the forwards or the goaltending this summer, but the blueline is so interesting for this next season that it has me thinking of new possibilities every day. Unlike some, I do think Nurse and Reinhart will begin the season in Bakersfield (barring injury) simply because I don’t think that the team will want to bury Nikitin on the farm with his cap hit. Though you could argue that the savings in sending him down and bringing up one of the young studs, will cost about the same and probably leave the team with a superior d-man. However, with that said, I don’t see both Nurse and Reinhart spending the whole season down in California. I think Chiarelli will pull off a mid-season deal or two to free up some room if old-man injury hasn’t already done so. I don’t know if they’ll be the famed 3-for-1 deal we’ve all been waiting for, but if not it will need to be for picks/prospects. Otherwise, there’s no way to make everything fit.

11. Hammers says:

Your projected line up you must add , Ference , Leon & Reinhart.

12. Hammers says:

flyfish1168: After hearing TMac yesterday, I like his thoughts about career path and Leon being a center and the need for him to at least play in the top 2 lines. I would believe this would also apply to Nail as he is not a 3 line RW.

13. dustrock says:

But we have to go back to the cap issues, right? I had thought that only a certain percentage of potential player bonuses could count towards the cap, so we couldn’t have McDavid, Draisaitl and Nurse at the same time (and was this even before the Reinhart trade?)

I thought we had figured 2 rookies could be in the main lineup as it stands right now without huge cap problems, so it would be McDavid and then between Dr. Drai, Hello Nurse and the Oil King.

14. Hammers says:

13 forwards and 8 D is my guess .

15. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

From a cap perspective, at the start of the year, if the team wants to bury Nikitin then the likely replacement is either Oesterly or Davidson.

Nurse and Reinhart are for sure in the lineup eventually, but we’ve got to clear some space for them first.

16. Ducey says:

Hammers:
    Your projected line up you must add , Ference , Leon & Reinhart.

Ference and Gazdic will be in the pressbox.

Leon, Reinhart and Nurse will be on the farm.

Both the GM and TMc have said essentially the same thing: The first 5 games are different from the next 5 games and it takes 20 games until teams settle in and play true NHL hockey.

That means they are not going to put young players on the roster based on training camp, exhibition games, or even early NHL games. If you know the level of play ramps up over the first 20 games, you have be very, very sure a young player will be able to get there. They likely also want to see what they have in the veterans. While lots of internet geniuses have written off a Nikitin (unjustifiably) or Ference (likely justifiably) the brass will likely want to see how these players play in the first 30 games with a new coach and new system.

I think that means that the default is going to be sending the young guys down to the farm until Chia knows they are fully ready/ knows where the vets are.

17. wheatnoil says:

As of right now doesn't look like Oilers will be bringing anyone in on a PTO. Real opportunity for Leon Drasaitl IMO to grab spot on Wing— Bob Stauffer (@Bob_Stauffer) September 4, 2015

Understand Oilers considered Glencross on PTO but will go with their own signed forwards first. Draisaitl will get look on wing on 3rd line— Jim Matheson (@NHLbyMatty) September 4, 2015

That said, not bringing in a potential veteran 3W on a PTO to make room for Draisaitl in Draft+2 is much better than not bringing in a potential veteran 2C on a PTO to make room for Draisaitl in Draft+1.

18. Pouzar says:

wheatnoil: Disagree with the decision as I think Glencross would be a nice addition to the roster. I also wouldn’t mind Draisaitl playing 1C in the AHL for half a year or so.

Agreed. If Drai can’t play top 6 on the Wing I want him to play Top Line C on the farm.

19. flyfish1168 says:

Hammers: Problem is Leon needs to play , experience , size ,puck control and that’s why I see him with Lander to start this year .

That is why Leon will probably start on the wing and rotate with the centerman on the 2nd line in time as TMac did with the Sharks. When big Joe got thrown out on faceoffs little Joe came in. Excellent possession on that line when two players can win faceoff.

20. russ99 says:

Man, I can’t wait until camp opens! It’s like a stack of birthdays and Christmases all in one.

I just hope the Oilers don’t blackout the web feeds of the preseason games to us US-based Oilers fans as usual, I wanna see McDavid play.

If Drai makes the team, that’s a nice problem to have. I think it will come down to his D-zone play in McLellan’s system, so my bet is still a half-year in Bakersfield.

21. Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons says:

Ducey:
    2.G Ben Scrivens—Early word has him ready, not sure it matters

It does matter. A regression to the meats…

This is the best typo ever.

22. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

russ99: stack of birthdays

I remember when birthdays were cool. At least, I think I do.

russ99: blackout the web feeds of the preseason games to us US-based Oilers fans as usual

Well you could sign up for a month of VPN service from one of the better providers like hide.me. Not sure what one month is worth, but I buy 6 months at a time and it works out to around $5 per.

23. Obiwan Eberle says:

Ducey:
    2.G Ben Scrivens—Early word has him ready, not sure it matters

” A regression to the meats ”

after nearly 4 years of vegetarianism, I’ve regressed to the meats as well….I’m still a terrible goaler however.

24. Ducey says:

wheatnoil:

Glencross had a poor CF% (45.8) last year. He also had some tough zone starts. He had a meager 20 pts in 71 games.

He was a healthy scratch in the playoffs at times for WASH and he is 32.

He is not part of the future.

If the Oilers are going to be contenders this year, maybe you bring in the vet like this (I wouldn’t pick Glencross myself), but this is a development year. They should give that spot to some combo of Pitlick, Iiro, Gazdic, Korpi, Klinkhammer or Leon.

25. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Ducey,

Folks are mostly looking to Glencross because they are familiar with him. If he hadn’t played here (and been successful here) or in Calgary during his career I don’t think he’d be a target.

I think the broader idea might have some merit, but it’s far down the list in terms of what I’m going to worry about.

If I had my pick it would be

1. Boyes
    2. Tlusty
    3. Stempniak
    4. Roy

In terms of adding a cheap veteran forward. No one over $1.25million/year though.

26. Rational Zealot says:

Colby Cosh has a great column in today’s Post on the Edmonton arena, bad times in City Hall, and the absurdity of building these things with public funds.

27. Pouzar says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

Boyes is #1 for me as well.

28. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Pouzar,

Funny thing is, for me, it’s Boyes by a country mile amongst the forwards. The guy gets 0 press despite being, in my opinion, the likely best available player remaining for the likely price (including Franson).

29. Pouzar says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    Pouzar,

Funny thing is, for me, it’s Boyes by a country mile amongst the forwards.The guy gets 0 press despite being, in my opinion, the likely best available player remaining for the likely price (including Franson).

From back in mid-July but great article RE: Boyes from T. Yost

30. borisnikov says:

Random thought…

You know what I am looking forward to? The development of Nurse’s hate for the godless team to the south. I want him treat their skill guys like Regehr used to treat Hemsky. Just become an absolute, genuine, villain in the eyes of Calgary’s players, coaches, media and fans. Blood lust, going both ways.

Can’t.
    Wait.

31. B S says:

Stauffer wants Drai on the left wing with Nuge and ebs (Pouliot with Lander and Yak, and Hall with McDavid and Purcell). That’s why he’s pushing it with TMac. I don’t know why people on here insist on Drai playing Right side if he plays wing.

Honestly the best sequences I saw from Drai last season were along the left hand boards, holding the puck on the forecheck then backhanding it too the slot, so I’d much prefer him there anyway, and except for Purcell on the Hall & Savior line as the ‘defensive conscience’ I think those look like solid lines, assuming Drai can hold his own at the NHL level.

32. AnOmYnOuS1 says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

Yeah I was actually surprised when he got bought out. He’s not the goal scorer he once was but 15-20G, good possession player and a reasonable 2.625 cap hit for only 1 more year. Still holding out hope that they look into bringing him in, he’s probably not too expensive at this point.

33. Factotum says:

“… is this the fall that delivers more wins and losses?”

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that it’s a near-certainty that there will indeed be both.

(Yes, I know you meant “than”, LT, but I’m such a jerk I just couldn’t resist.)

34. rickithebear says:

Listening to 960 this morning boomer sounded off on the media push for Mcdavid. ” iknow its not edmonton doing it.”
    Pinder responds with a Tmac quote. we will treat him like any other rookie.”
    Pinder says ” surrrre! What are his peers? Lemieux! Gretzky!”
    Dead Air space.

It was at that moment it was the enemy saying we have a generational talent.

I grinned!

35. AnOmYnOuS1 says:

B S,

I think there are 2 reasons for that. The first is Hall and Pouliot already being locked in there for the near future. Naturally Pouliot can play down but because of the run he had most want to keep him with Nuge and Ebs. The other reason is because he’s so good with his backhand. If they’re switching someone to his off wing, the guy who’s amazing at taking and making passes on his backhand seems to be the best fit.

36. linkfromhyrule says:

Rational Zealot:

37. Snowman says:

Ducey: Ference and Gazdic will be in the pressbox.

Leon, Reinhart and Nurse will be on the farm.

Both the GM and TMc have said essentially the same thing:The first 5 games are different from the next 5 games and it takes 20 games until teams settle in and play true NHL hockey.

That means they are not going to put young players on the roster based on training camp, exhibition games, or even early NHL games.If you know the level of play ramps up over the first 20 games, you have be very, very sure a young player will be able to get there.They likely also want to see what they have in the veterans.While lots of internet geniuses have written off a Nikitin(unjustifiably) or Ference (likely justifiably) the brass will likely want to see how these players play in the first 30 games with a new coach and new system.

I disagree with how you look at that. I think Leon makes the club because he’ll be better than some of the other options and I think one of Nurse/Reinhart make the club opening night (I already put money on Nurse). It’s not like last year where its an up with the big club or down for the season thing. I think you’ll see a vet in the pressbox until Nurse or Reinhart start to struggle.

Chia and Tmac are going to put the best players on the ice to start the season. Nurse will absolutely be one of the top 6 d. He is the best skating Dman in the organization. He’s big and mean and can move the puck.

He’ll start the year up and if he struggles after game 5 he’ll go down but my guess is Nurse is here to stay as of day 1.

That’s the nice thing about Veteran depth. You can go with the best players (even if they’re rookies) and if/when they struggle you can send them down to the farm for a while. Its what good organizations do. They play the best players.

38. Ducey says:

Rational Zealot:

Yes, all are idiots: Edmontonian’s, politicians, taxpayers, stadium builders…all except Colby

If only we could satisfy the critics – of course an impossibility.

I know lots of people like this. They arm themselves with vocabulary and self righteousness. When you are ask them: “You know maybe you should run for politics or start your own company, or get active on that issue” then respond with incredulity.

I expect bashing Edmonton goes over well in Eastern Canada – the home of the “National” Post. Somewhere the elite can feel sanctimonious before rushing off to a fundraiser for a new publically funded art gallery.

Of course, the LRT has nothing to do with the new arena. Of course, the average Edmontonian is quite happy and content. We are rightly excited about the new arena, because not only will it be “cool” but it has spurred a revitalization of the downtown to the extent that the revitalization levy will bring in much more than forecast, and the $3 billion in investment is providing a ton of jobs.

I’ll be quite happy to go to watch a game or concert, or coach my kids while they play at the community rink. I’ll have a beer at a nearby restaurant or bar. I’ll be happy knowing that the investment in the arena will be paid back, and is more important to me than a couple of overpasses and a community center.

Rexall was never put in the right place, and many other arenas around N. America will never meet the economic models they were supposed to. And I know that people say that the economic impact is muted because it just takes investment from other areas of a city. But we needed investment in downtown. It has been stunted for too long by the Mall, and the car.

So bring on the arena. And fuck you Colby.

39. B S says:

AnOmYnOuS1,

but then your wing depth is
    R: Eberle, Yak, Drai, Purcell
    L:Hall, Pouliot

I’d much rather

R: Eberle, Yak, Purcell
    L: Hall, Pouliot, Drai

It seems more balanced. Of course this assumes that Drai stays up and I’m not convinced that happens. I think he and Nurse dominate in the AHL for at least half a season before we see them back in Edmonton.

40. Ducey says:

linkfromhyrule: When I read the comments on articles such as this, and especially the major newspaper sites, it makes me truly thankful that we have LT’s comment section.

Sorry 🙂

41. Cahoon says:

Ducey,

Well said.

42. Cahoon says:

B S,

I think many of you people who seem to completely forget Korpikoski is on the team will be pleasantly surprised by him. I think he’s a better player than Purcell.

43. Bootstrap Effexor says:

Whatever his politics, Colby is a very smart guy. Unfortunately, he’s added a little shark-jumping to his shtick since the last time I read him.

And we do not consider, when we gawk at a glorious monstrosity like Rogers Place, that its beneficiaries will be castigating it for inadequacy 30 minutes after whatever the modern equivalent of a capstone is laid in.

Of course, one does consider, when one gawks at the glorious monstrosity of National Post page copy, that one could never rely upon an editor at the National Post to spot a missing “is is” since it used to give away those cheap plastic radios with every subscription (been there, done that)—though perhaps in Colby’s defense the “is is” was lost in transit on the penny pinching round trip to editorial Hindustan during the great security shoe shuffle, where it’s so important not to stammer.

Yeesh, how am I supposed to properly needle Spector when Colby sets the bar at shin level?

Colby Cosh

His writing style has been compared to H. L. Mencken.

Somehow that I don’t think I’ll find so much as a Wikipedia stub from 2005 likening Spector to whatever the modern equivalent of the Sage of Baltimore is is hardly worth observing.

44. B S says:

Cahoon,

I didn’t like the Korpikoski trade only because it cost us Gordon, I think he’ll be a functional NHL winger in the bottom 6 and a good addition to the team, I don’t see him doing more than spot duty in the top 6 (injuries and benching poor performers), and I don’t see him as a regular skilled winger option which was more the depth I was referring to. I’d be happy to be proven wrong, and do expect the 4th line to still be effective this season.

45. Rational Zealot says:

Ducey,

The post is too long to quote but I will just say that you couldn’t be more wrong about this. The debate over publicly funded sports arena is settled. It’s impossible to make a rational argument in favour of it, even from a purely rhetorical point of view.

I love the first one which begins with “as someone who actually lives in Edmonton and works downtown …” I guess he doesn’t know where Cosh lives and works.

46. LoDog says:

People are still arguing over the arena? News flash: it is half built. Captain Oblivious will be happy though.

On the projected opening night line up, I can’t accept any that have Yak on the 3rd line. If he can’t beat out Purcell then he truly is a bust.

47. flyfish1168 says:

I like the idea of

Leon- Ryan- Jordan
    Taylor- Conner -Nail
    Benoit – Anton – Ted
    Matt H – Mark L – Tyler P

The 3rd line can be scoring or a hard defense zone line. 4th line is hard zone start banger and high energy line. JMHO

48. Pouzar says:

I think Drai is best on RW and that 2nd line spot is wide open.

49. Hammers says:

So much depends on if we run 3 lines of attacking and 1 defending . I can see Poliot and Purcell with Lander , Yak with McD , Hall , and Leon with Nuge and Ebs .it would be nice to see at least at camp.

50. Hammers says:

We must admit the coaches have so many variations they can use .

51. RMGS says:

Pouzar:
    I think Drai is best on RW and that 2nd line spot is wide open.

Why do you hate Yak?

BTW, after listening to the coach yesterday go on about Leon’s magnificent backhand and boardwork, I think he agrees.

52. Cameron says:

Pouzar:
    I think Drai is best on RW and that 2nd line spot is wide open.

It’s like drinking irony from a firehose.

53. oilswell says:

Ducey: The critics never seem to do anything, other than criticize. In this case Colby seems bent out of shape because at least in part, we cannot foresee the future.

I like that the arena is being built, for some of the reasons you give. But Cosh seems to me to be railing about this particular format of corporate welfare that is being sold to the public much like any other corporate welfare programme. And frankly, generally I think we should be suspicious about that and welcome disagreement.

But ad hominem attack? Maybe critique is what Cosh does best: it doesn’t make his argument wrong.

54. oilswell says:

Cameron: The ‘Drai on wing’ development is interesting to me. As I recall Oilers brass passed on a higher rated/ceiling player to take Drai specificallybecause he is a ‘big-body center’. A year later and his only hope to make the roster is by not being one.

It’s like drinking irony from a firehose.

Exactly. Having a talented big body that can play anywhere in the top 6 is a nightmare for the Oilers, everyone knows they didn’t need size in the top 6.

55. Ducey says:

It’s like drinking irony from a firehose.

Right. Because Leon playing wing for a few years determines where he will play for the next 20.

And if you mean by “chief competition”, a distant afterthought whose comparatively puny vote totals will come from Calgary MSM homers. Yes, I agree.

56. Tire Fire says:

It’s like drinking irony from a firehose.

Yep, winning that lottery to be gifted the best centre prospect in a decade was a real piece of shit luck. Hope we can somehow crawl our way out from under that giant shadow of doom.

57. Pajamah says:

Cameron,

Calgary drafted Jack Eichel last year?

News to me.

Sam Bennett will be a good player, but losing a year to a major shoulder injury won’t speed up his development, and there are likely 4 forwards drafted this season alone that are better than both he and Draisaitl.

Marner, Strome, McDavid, Eichel should all be better long term, and the last 2 at this stage are the only real options for Calder. Sam Reinhart is in that pack with Marner and Strome as well, and if any of the 3 of them play this season (or Bennett for that matter), Bennett could end up 5-10th in Calder voting.

58. russ99 says:

I’m not a fan of the “Drai on wing” idea for a few reasons:

1. He has real value at his size at center, once he fills out, grows as a player and rounds out his skillset.

2. Moving him to wing as a way to rush him to the bigs could easily stunt that growth, and AHL sorties could advance that growth.

3. Forcing a young player who’s not yet ready into the NHL lineup takes a place where we could put a veteran. This is especially vital in the bottom 6 where we need players to set a 2-way example in McLellan’s defensive system.

At some point the goal at the NHL level has to be about playing winning hockey over developing players.

59. Pouzar says:

Cameron: The ‘Drai on wing’ development is interesting to me. As I recall Oilers brass passed on a higher rated/ceiling player to take Drai specifically because he is a ‘big-body center’. A year later and his only hope to make the roster is by not being one. And while the obvious answer ‘McDavid changes everything’ is fair enough on it’s face, McDavid’s chief competetion for the Calder will be the guy you passed over to take Drai. It’s like drinking irony from a firehose.

Hi DSF.

60. Ducey says:

oilswell: I like that the arena is being built, for some of the reasons you give.ButCosh seems to me to be railing about this particular format of corporate welfare that is being sold to the public much like any other corporate welfare programme. And frankly, generally I think we should be suspicious about that and welcome disagreement.

But ad hominem attack? Maybe critique is what Cosh does best:it doesn’t make his argument wrong.

Ah well, he kind of invites that. Its his shtick. If he didn’t he likely would be doing something else.

If he actually wanted to have a discussion about the merits, great. I agree, there are lots of issues that we should debate. I think EDM might be one of the projects that is justifiable.

But he doesn’t really discuss anything. Its more of a drive-by at those that approved the arena project. If that’s your MO, you have to expect that people will shoot back.

61. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

russ99,

It was an unfortunate development for Leon that McDavid landed on the Oilers. I agree that rapid forcing Leon into minutes on the wing at the NHL level might be a bit reckless. If he must play wing (he could very well earn the 3C role), let him learn in the AHL to begin and see how he performs. But, they will play him in the 1C at the AHL. That doesn’t help him learn the position I’m afraid. I totally get trying to utilize Leon while he is still affordable in our top six, but it appears to be challenging to accomplish until he shows he can actually do it.

I fully expect Leon to develop into a bonafide top 6 centerman that has an ability to deliver above 50 pts/season offense at the NHL. A true 2C with potential to be a 1C. I think this positions him number three on Edmonton’s center depth chart and that just won’t gel with what he will be expected to be paid. He will have to be moved at some point. Not Leon’s fault McDavid arrived, but in my opinion, management will have to be damn thoughtful and deliberate on when and how they max value for Leon to get the critical piece that fits for the Oilers now or down the line. That’s just the way I see it because RNH is fantastic as an NHL 2C and well….McDavid.

62. Tire Fire says:

Ducey: Its more of a drive-by at those that approved the arena project. If that’s your MO, you have to expect that people will shoot back.

I haven’t read the article, but I like your line about it. I shall steal it and give you no credit!

. Mclellan is going to run the living daylights out of the top two lines

This is true.

Even though the Oilers could shoot for the Unicorn and run 3 scoring lines, based on McLellen’s verbal with Bob yesterday he thinks in terms of a “top 6”

This isn’t very evident if you look at his teams TOI/gm last year, but it you look at it 3 years ago, its a different picture. (I think McL backed off on Joe, Marleau’s TOI lately due to older legs..)

SJS Forwards 11/12 TOI/gm (including special teams)

Joe Pavelski 20:36
    Patrick Marleau 20:28
    Joe Thornton 20:28
    Logan Couture 18:33
    Ryane Clowe 17:51
    Martin Havlat 17:37
    Michal Handzus 14:27
    Tommy Wingels 13:44
    Jamie McGinn 12:33
    Torrey Mitchell 12:26
    Benn Ferriero 12:02
    Andrew Desjardins 9:34

There is a serious demarcation line from the top 6 to the bottom 6.

The big guns play a period each and the 2nd big guns aren’t that far off.

Given the Oilers roster, I expect McL to do something similar here.

As most of you know McL was raving about Saddle’;s ability to play off the boards on his backhand…..much like Jumbo Joe.

64. G Money says:

Woodguy: If that’s the case, then I think Yak isn’t long for the Oilers as they will make DrySaddle 2RW.

Maybe that’s the case, but I’m not sure I believe it.

If you have both future-Crosby and future-Thornton (plus future-or-maybe-here-and-now-Datsyuk) on your team, do you throw all of them, or any two of them, on a line together?

If there’s one thing that Crosby (in many years in Pit, plus this year at the WHCs) has shown, its that elite C’s, especially gifted passers, still need elite finishing wingers to maximize their impact on the game.

It’s like drinking irony from a firehose.

Worst poster ever.

Pure garbage all the time.

Sam Bennett will be the next Gilbert Brule

I doubt he plays more than 70 games in any one season in his career.

I doubt he plays more than 325 games in the first 6 years of his career.

Everyone will say “Great junior player, too bad about all the injuries. We’ll never know what could have been”

67. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy:
    Sam Bennett will be the next Gilbert Brule

He’ll be Bono’s favourite hockey player?

68. LadiesloveSmid says:

It’s like drinking irony from a firehose.

They drafted Leon because they needed a player that brought a different dimension to their top 6. Can you imagine the scrutiny they’d get if they took another 180 lb kid who had a shoulder injury before the season even started? Bennett’s frame can’t support his style of play against men. They didn’t and still don’t need a scrappy little kid that dies in the corners. Big, puck protecting guy that can line up at C or wing is actually exactly what they need in the top 6.

Pretty funny that flames fans think Bennett will be better than Reinhart and Eichel this year too. If there’s one fan base that toots their own horn like no other…

69. Pajamah says:

G Money,

As the sole member of the Anti-Kunitz’s, I’m inclined to disagree with you.

Kunitz is a fucking bum, and leeches points of Crosby enough to actually attain an international resume. Its a joke. He makes those average into good, or maybe even really good in some cases.

He drags those pilons around like city road worker.

Ducey: Yes,all are idiots: Edmontonian’s, politicians, taxpayers, stadium builders…all except Colby

If only we could satisfy the critics – of course an impossibility.

The critics never seem to do anything, other than criticize.In this case Colby seems bent out of shape because at least in part, we cannot foresee the future.

I know lots of people like this.They arm themselves with vocabulary and self righteousness. When you are ask them:“You know maybe you should run for politics or start your own company, or get active on that issue”then respond with incredulity.

I expect bashing Edmonton goes over well in Eastern Canada – the home of the “National” Post.Somewhere the elite can feel sanctimonious before rushing off to a fundraiser for a new publically funded art gallery.

Of course, the LRT has nothing to do with the new arena.Of course, the average Edmontonian is quite happy and content.We are rightly excited about the new arena, because not only will it be “cool” but it has spurred a revitalization of the downtown to the extent that the revitalization levy will bring in much more than forecast, and the $3 billionin investment is providing a ton of jobs.

I’ll be quite happy to go to watch a game or concert, or coach my kids while they play at the community rink.I’ll have a beer at a nearby restaurant or bar. I’ll be happy knowing that the investment in the arena will be paid back, and is more important to me than a couple of overpasses and a community center.

Rexall was never put in the right place, and many other arenas around N. America will never meet the economic models they were supposed to.And I know that people say that the economic impact is muted because it just takes investment from other areas of a city.But we needed investment in downtown.It has been stunted for too long by the Mall, and the car.

So bring on the arena.And fuck you Colby.

I have no idea how you could read that piece and come away with that as his message.

wheatnoil: He’ll be Bono’s favourite hockey player?

Correct.

72. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Ryan Pilon is apparently quitting hockey. Won’t be playing for the Wheat Kings this year and won’t be attending Islanders camp, as per the Brandon newspaper.

Wow.

I mean I was admittedly cheering against the kid because of the way he walked away from the Hurricanes, but this is something else. Good thing no one used a second round pick on him.

73. AnOmYnOuS1 says:

Woodguy:
    I doubt he plays more than 325 games in the first 6 years of his career.

So funny thing about 325 games…
    Taylor Hall NHL GP 299 + AHL 26 = 325 Pro games in 5 years
    I was curious as to how many Hall had played and discovered that if we count the lockout AHL games he’s hit that number exactly. Quite the coincidence.

AnOmYnOuS1: So funny thing about 325 games…
    Taylor Hall NHL GP 299 + AHL 26 = 325 Pro games in 5 years

Hi DSF

I said 6 seasons.

Pay attention.

75. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Speaking of regression to the meat…

Take that Calgary. And go away, Cameron! Love Bennett. Great pick for the Flames. But the Drai pick was just fine for the Oil. In a couple of years when it’s McDavid-Nuge-Drai-Yakimov down the middle, watch out.

76. AnOmYnOuS1 says:

Woodguy,

Wasn’t meant in any sort of negative way. I’m a huge fan of Hall. Just thought that it was funny that the two numbers added up, except Hall still has another year.

77. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Woodguy,

Are you counting this past season as one? Just curious.

78. RexLibris says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    Speaking of regression to the meat…

Mentioned that on twitter yesterday.

I had tried to do something similar a short while ago but lack the data-capturing abilities of Yost and others.

I’m citing Yost’s article in my Flames RE.

As for Bennett, we don’t know if he’ll follow the Brule path or not. He lost an entire year to shoulder rehab but came on reasonably well in the NHL playoffs. I’ll have to see a lot more, one way or another, to declare him injury-prone.

I’d be concerned that his Kingston team was so easily handled in the OHL playoffs and he was on the ice for a lot of goals against. And as I’ve always said, if I have to choose between an Iginla or a Thornton type, I’ll take the player who dishes the puck and creates chances for his fellow skaters over the one-shot trigger man every day.

79. flyfish1168 says:

It’s like drinking irony from a firehose.

That’s ok your are envious of Leon. Benney and Yahoo will be instant targets and you will have a chance at a big top 6 in Mathews.

80. RexLibris says:

G Money: I expect many things from the elite and gifted passing skills of Leon Draisaitl, but elite finishing is not one of my expectations.

You’ve obviously forgotten about the many times Hemsky passed the puck into the net after deking out two defenders and skating around the goalie.

Do you need a YT refresher?

81. RexLibris says:

Cameron: It’s like drinking irony from a firehose.

82. Snowman says:

G Money: Maybe that’s the case, but I’m not sure I believe it.

Some players can only finish and they do it very well. Nuge or Drai may not be Kessel but they’ll finish well enough to cash their chances and they’ll get more chances creating for each other than the team would get with Nuge or Drai creating for a finisher alone. I don’t think you need a pure finisher if you have two guys who can finish pretty well. Hopefully they create more chances than they miss.

83. G Money says:

Pajamah,

I think we’re violently agreeing. I think Kunitz (though some will argue “chemistry”) was a bit of an anchor on Crosby. He goes to show that an elite passer can make an OK scorer look really good. But it’s still a pale shadow compared to what you get when you combine an elite passer with an elite finisher.

I think hindsight on that situation, along with seeing the effect of Hall/Eberle with Crosby at the World’s, is why Pittsburgh went out and got Phil Chub Rocks. For the same reason, I expect an out of this world year for both players next year (I’m not a Phan of Phil, but his talent is unquestionable).

84. sliderule says:

If Drai or Yak end up playing with Lander it will be very disappointing for whomever gets stuck on his line.
    Lander is solid defensively and will probably get some points on the power play but he just doesn’t make plays.
    If it’s yak that ends up on his line it will be the end of the line for him.He is primarily a shooter and without a playmaking center he would suffer.
    Drai would do ok but it would be a waste of his skill.Better in AHL at center than in bottom six in NHL.

85. RexLibris says:

Chiarelli: Hiya, Steve, sorry to hear about Vasilevsky.

Yzerman: Thanks, Peter. What can I do for you?

Chiarelli: Well, I was thinking see, and I’ve got Scrivens just hanging around here…

86. G Money says:

RexLibris,

I have a draft article in the works on yours and my favourite topic per Yost – repeatability.

Pts/G Y1 to Y2: regr=( 0.525, 0.5) r= 0.535 r^2=0.286 p= 0.0000 err=0.109

PP% Y1 to Y2: regr=( 0.298, 7.7) r= 0.328 r^2=0.107 p= 0.0106 err=0.113
    PKSv% Y1 to Y2: regr=(-0.037, 90.7) r=-0.044 r^2=0.002 p= 0.7378 err=0.109
    PKSCA60 Y1 to Y2: regr=( 0.620, 19.7) r= 0.659 r^2=0.434 p= 0.0000 err=0.093
    PKCA60 Y1 to Y2: regr=( 0.545, 46.6) r= 0.645 r^2=0.416 p= 0.0000 err=0.085
    PKSA60 Y1 to Y2: regr=( 0.485, 28.0) r= 0.562 r^2=0.316 p= 0.0000 err=0.094
    PKGA60 Y1 to Y2: regr=( 0.173, 5.5) r= 0.192 r^2=0.037 p= 0.1417 err=0.116

Let me know if you would like any of those for your article. The charts look like this:

AnOmYnOuS1:
    Woodguy,

Ahh.

I’m in a snippy mood and going after Hall is DSF’s goto move since Gagner was traded.

Apologies sir/madam.

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    Woodguy,

Are you counting this past season as one? Just curious.

Also,

I’m mostly trolling the Falmes fan because he’s an awful poster for this site.

89. LadiesloveSmid says:

RexLibris,

who does TB have on the farm?

maybe they will claim Ortio off waivers

90. G Money says:

Snowman,

Maybe. The question at that point is not who will create more chances, but who will ultimately finish more chances.

Two playmakers: 10 chances/60, finish 1

Playmaker + finisher: 7 chances/60, finish 2

is something like the real-life version of the equation I suspect.

Would be an interesting project to see if the numbers actually support that hypothesis.

(No I’m not adding it to my project list!!)

G Money: Maybe that’s the case, but I’m not sure I believe it.

I want 3 scoring lines quite badly.

18 min
    18 min
    16 min
    8 min

Is how I’d hand out the TOI (or something like that)

I was reading the McLellen tea leaves based on all his verbal over the last couple days.

Also,

Crosby’s work with Kunitz makes me unsure how much an “elite” finisher is needed as opposed to “competent finisher who plays 3ft from the net”

92. AnOmYnOuS1 says:

sliderule,

I don’t think that’s fully accurate. While not the playmaker that Nuge or Drai are, he is still solid. He was centering Forsberg and Eriksson and the World Championships and did a pretty good job. His line was destroying Crosby’s line before they threw Hall and Ebs with him. He even got 3G 4A in 8 GP. Now he’s not going to blow you away, but I think he does a respectable job.

LadiesloveSmid:
    RexLibris,

who does TB have on the farm?

maybe they will claim Ortio off waivers

Ludlevskis is their 3rd goalie.

He’s the Latvian who stopped 55/57 against the Canadian at the 2014 Olympics.

They’re fine in goal.

Edit: He only put up a. 900 in the AHL last year. They might shore it up but I doubt it……

94. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

RexLibris,

Sorry, Rex. I must have missed that.

Did someone say Hemsky? He would be welcome back. Fills that RW slot in the top 9.
    Hall-McDavid-Hemsky
    Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle

Darn salary cap.

95. AnOmYnOuS1 says:

Woodguy,

No worries WG.

96. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy: I want 3 scoring lines quite badly.

18 min
    18 min
    16 min
    8 min

Is how I’d hand out the TOI (or something like that)

It’s possible he sees this Oilers team as more of a Top 6 / Bottom 6 to start the year. However, he’s shown flexibility in the past and may expand to a Top 9 / Bottom 3 if he thinks he’s got the horses for it.

It’s also possible that he wants to just over-load the first two lines and run the hell out of them to destroy the opposition.

AnOmYnOuS1:
    sliderule,

Agreed.

This isn’t the Renney Lander anymore.

GIMME THE GODDAM UNICORNS ALREADY!!!

98. RexLibris says:

G Money: I have repeatability numbers and charts for a bunch of different stats for 13-14 and 14-15 combined:

That is perhaps the most GMoney thing I’ve ever seen your write.

Is it strange that I imagine it as a chart on your bedroom wall complete with Raquel Welch leather bikini? Or am I guilty of projecting?

Probably best if we don’t explore that idea. 🙂

wheatnoil: McLellan has changed strategies over the years with the Sharks. That may be related to his development as a coach but also likely using the players he has and adapting his strategies to optimize his roster.

I’m going off his verbal.

Did you listen to his interviews with Bob and Gene?

100. speeds says:

Woodguy: I want 3 scoring lines quite badly.

18 min
    18 min
    16 min
    8 min

Is how I’d hand out the TOI (or something like that)

Also,

I think that would be my general thought as well, that I don’t mind the idea of McDavid/RNH/Draisaitl as the C’s picking up nearly all of the ~52min at ES and PP. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean that they’d be ready for that this season, as opposed to 2 seasons from now when hopefully (a) a guy like Slepyshev has developed to add W depth and (b) McDavid and RNH are so established that EDM is now the team that wingers want to sign with for 1 year, 1M contracts to rehabilitate value.

101. AnOmYnOuS1 says:

I’m actually expecting him to make changes between games. A team like Arizona he could probably just overload, they don’t have enough depth to take that kind of beating from 2 lines. A team like Chigaco and Tampa, you’ll need a semi-competent 3rd line to match up against them. Is it October yet?

102. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: The biggest thing is that line is going to see A LOT of 3rd pair Dmen and think that’s very exploitable if there’s some talent on the line.

GIMME THE GODDAM UNICORNS ALREADY!!!

Seconded.

Here’s a quick excerpt from the Oilers RE I’ve been working on:

that line [is] likely to be used as a sly counter-attack line once the top two lines have drawn the tough competition

Now, I’m projecting here because I really don’t have a damned clue what McLellan has planned. Maybe he gets more traditional with his 3rd line and runs a couple of veterans and Yakupov gets better acquainted with the various popcorn vendors of the NHL this season, maybe he doesn’t.

But if I’m already waving two massive red capes at the opposition’s bulls on the 1st and 2nd line you’d be damned sure I’d try and stick the knife in real quietly with that 3rd line.

Consider the Flames’ 3rd defense pairing of Engelland and Russell (presumably) against Lander, Yakupov and Korpikoski or Letestu. I’d take that matchup most any day.

103. RexLibris says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    RexLibris,

Sorry, Rex. I must have missed that.

Hall-McDavid-Hemsky
    Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle

Darn salary cap.

The problem is that we’re talking about 2006 Hemsky, not 2015 Hemsky.

speeds: I think that would be my general thought as well, that I don’t mind the idea of McDavid/RNH/Draisaitl as the C’s picking up nearly all of the ~52min at ES and PP.However, that doesn’t necessarily mean that they’d be ready for that this season, as opposed to 2 seasons from now when hopefully (a) a guy like Slepyshev has developed to add W depth and (b) McDavid and RNH are so established that EDM is now the team that wingers want to sign with for 1 year, 1M contracts to rehabilitate value.

Agreed.

Add to that the fact that some decent NHL vets will be willing to sign 1yr value deals with the Oilers in the coming years and you can rotate a lot of wingers through those lines.

105. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy: I’m going off his verbal.

Did you listen to his interviews with Bob and Gene?

Not the whole thing, just articles that pulled quotes from it. Haven’t had time to listen, but it sounds like a good one for me to listen to the whole thing. I hear he talked about putting Drai up in the Top 6 and loading the top 6 with centres like he did in San Jose.

I’m just saying that he might feel that way now, but may adjust through the year if he thinks he’s got the horses to run 3 lines.

That said, I’m with you in that I want the 3 scoring line unicorn… so I’m willing to craft what-ever narrative I need to so I don’t give up hope of seeing it!

106. wheatnoil says:

AnOmYnOuS1: I think part of his rolling 3 lines may be his ageing roster. Thorton and Marleau were getting up there and so probably couldn’t handle quite as many minutes and still remain effective. It’ll be interesting to see since he has done a top 6/bottom 6 approach as well as the top 9/bottom 3.

Yes, this.

I think we can expect the McBlender.

RexLibris,

I’m thinking a Yak-Lander-DrySaddle 3rd line would be a killer.

Run Pou-RNH-Ebs and Hall-McD-X on the 2nd.

108. G Money says:

RexLibris: That is perhaps the most GMoney thing I’ve ever seen your write.

I was thinking more along the lines of “typically GMoney” as opposed to maximally GMoney.

Raquel Welch, eh?

If I tried to put a bikini poster up on the bedroom wall, I suspect the correlation between my breaths/60 pre-poster and breaths/60 post-poster would be -1, if you see what I mean. Yet another of those things they don’t warn you about when you get married.

Now, if I *were* to try and risk death that way, my tastes would run more to something like this:

Especially love the fact that the URL is from “realgeeks”. Ha!

109. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:
    RexLibris,

I’m thinking a Yak-Lander-DrySaddle 3rd line would be a killer.

Run Pou-RNH-Ebs and Hall-McD-X on the 2nd.

I’ve read X is a great two-way winger with speed, skill and poise.

Can’t wait to see him in training camp.

I’ve already bought his jersey!

😉

110. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:
    RexLibris,

I’m thinking a Yak-Lander-DrySaddle 3rd line would be a killer.

Run Pou-RNH-Ebs and Hall-McD-X on the 2nd.

Along a more serious vein, yes that would be a nice line.

I do have some serious reservations about running Draisaitl on the wing for too long.

I want him in the middle unless I am shown definitive proof that he is more dominant on the wing.

111. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Cameron,

Saw this vid today, and thought you would like it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=44&v=nY-7PUEoIrQ

112. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: I’m thinking a Yak-Lander-DrySaddle 3rd line would be a killer.

That would be a beastly half court line.

113. oilswell says:

Woodguy:
    There is a serious demarcation line from the top 6 to the bottom 6.
    The big guns play a period each and the 2nd big guns aren’t that far off.

But look at the names and tell me that there was the skill depth to run three.

Anyone have TOI for the Worlds? Looking at just shots there are 11 players with 20+ shots and 3 with 30+. May be useful to compare what he did there.

Woodguy:
    RexLibris,

I’m thinking a Yak-Lander-DrySaddle 3rd line would be a killer.

Yep…I agree wholeheartedly. Draisaitl-Lander-Yakupov seem like they were made for each other. It would be a line where Draisaitl would be the main puck transporter (lugging and/or passing).

It would mean he would have to change his game the least moving to wing. Playing wing with Nugent-Hopkins or McDavid, he would have to learn to play far more without the puck.

115. Edmonton blog roundup: Sept. 7, 2015 | Seen and Heard in Edmonton says:

[…] Allan Mitchell, aka Lowetide, has something to say about every player expected at Oilers training camp. […]