WAIVERING 2015

The NHL’s 30 teams are about to release their training camp rosters and it’s a fun time of year. Veterans without contracts, college kids looking for the pro camp experience before heading home or to Europe, and juniors attempting to impress enough to get a pro contract. It’s one giant audition and the total player count across the entire NHL is almost 2,000 all told. The entire training camp process begins week two of September and everything is decided by first week October. That’s a lot of skates cutting ice.

WAIVERS

Last year the Oilers put Anton Lander on waivers and he cleared before going to Oklahoma City. It’s a nervous time for management and fans but for players it’s a great opportunity. Rob Schremp played most of his 114 NHL games after the Oilers waived him and chances are someone in the Edmonton system now will be waived this fall or later and catch on. Let’s go around the league and see if there are players who are both fringe on their teams and substantial enough talents to be considered worthy of pickup.

• Arizona: F Jordan Martinook. He’s an interesting player (6.0, 200), physical and has playmaking skills.
  • Calgary: F Drew Shore. A big forward with playmaking skills. Flames may not have room.
  • Dallas: D Jordie Benn. Good size and mobility, he’s in tough for that Stars’ defense.
  • Detroit: F Landon Ferraro. Good skater and has a goal scorer’s touch.
  • Edmonton: D Brandon Davidson. No outstanding skill, but inexpensive and capable.
  • Florida: D Dylan Olsen. Has good size and mobility.
  • Los Angeles: C Jordan Weal. Small and very skilled forward.
  • Nashville: L Austin Watson. Wishful thinking on my part, a nice two-way winger.
  • New York Rangers: D Dylan McIlrath: Giant.
  • Ottawa: D Chris Wideman. A substantial offensive prospect.

Andrew Miller is a guy I can see someone grabbing but defensemen are always in short supply. I love Watson’s game but he’ll make the Preds, and the Flames will find a way to keep Shore. After that, I like Wideman but Edmonton has that position covered at this time. Weal? Suspect he starts on the coast with the Kings. Davidson? I’ll suggest he clears waivers but there’s a chance EDM keeps eight men on blue.

18 Responses to "WAIVERING 2015"

1. Mr DeBakey says:

“Dallas: D Jordie Benn. Good size and mobility, he’s in tough for that Stars’ defense.”

Does not Dallas have a so-so defense?
    That can’t be a good arrow for young Mr Benn.

Patrick C ‏@ChunkletsHockey 3m3 minutes ago

#KHL, #Oilers: Ziyat Paigin watch — Paigin played 12:03 today, and went +1 despite Ak Bars losing 5-3.

3. Ducey says:

This will be Ferraro’s fifth AHL season. Wouldn’t he have had to pass thru waivers the last 2 years?

He is kind of small and has seasons of 20, 47, 31 and 42 points in the AHL.

And he never put up a point a game in the WHL.

I don’t think he gets claimed.

4. RexLibris says:

Not Shore. He’s more suspect than prospect/project.

These would all be welcome AHL additions, but I’m not sure they fit the Oilers today.

Buffalo could take one or two, and I’d bet the Canucks could take on a Ferraro or an Olsen as they have some space for young players.

5. RexLibris says:

Patrick C ‏@ChunkletsHockey 3m3 minutes ago

Nice to see.

I was wondering if he’d go the MHL route before long, but this seems to indicate they’ll give him a shot. Still early, though.

6. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Lowetide: Ziyat Paigin watch

I’m enjoying this ritual of following Ziyat.

This year the Oilers are more a team that is worried about losing someone on waivers rather than looking for a pick up.

There’s lots of competition at every spot other than RHD and seeing that you have to keep a waiver pick up on your NHL roster, I set the line on the Oilers making a waiver pick up at -345

Unless someone who isn’t mentioned passes through waivers who you wouldn’t expect.

I also doubt Davidson gets picked up, despite Staples’ wringing of hands.

Every NHL team has lots of good AHL Dmen who don’t bring offence.

Remember that this is the same guy (Staples) who said the Oilers should trade one of Hall, RNH or Eberle for Jamie Oleksiak.

8. stush18 says:

Apparently Ryan pilon is quitting hockey. He was ranked 24th overall but fell to the fifth round. I know a lot of us had him high, but I suppose this is why he fell so far in the draft.

9. kinger_OIL says:

LT mentions that waiver time is nervous time for many teams.

– | wonder if the OIL were “nervous” about waiving Lander? I suspect not, and they got lucky…

– Because they were so loathe in previous years to waive really crap players, and that was their justification.

– Another data point on how bad the old MacT et al regime were

10. OF17 says:

Woodguy:

11. wheatnoil says:

JD¡™ David O’Connor’s Reel: I’m enjoying this ritual of following Ziyat.

I believe it’s a Paigin Ritual.

12. v4ance says:

wheatnoil: I believe it’s a Paigin Ritual.

Gold!

13. RexLibris says:

v4ance: wheatnoil: I believe it’s a Paigin Ritual.

Gold!

They have no need for your gold.

Only the severed heads of the vanquished adorning their walls.

14. LadiesloveSmid says:

Mr DeBakey,

isn’t Jordie Benn like a pretty great possession player? he’d be a welcome addition to the bottom pairing if EDM didn’t already have 150 spot holders

15. RexLibris says:

Jets have released their rookie camp roster.

Presumably this will be similar to their Young Stars roster.

16. John Chambers says:

stush18:
    Apparently Ryan pilon is quitting hockey. He was ranked 24th overall but fell to the fifth round. I know a lot of us had him high,but I suppose this is why he fell so far in the draft.

Good for him. I’m amazed more young men on the fringes of a pro hockey career don’t abandon it sooner.

I mean there’s chasing a dream, and there’s living a life full of ardour and uncertainty throughout your young 20’s that sets one back educationally and financially.

17. John Chambers says:

Maybe Arizona will put OEL on waivers and Buffalo won’t claim him.

OF17: I don’t think that’s fair. We all make mistakes. We all evaluate players incorrectly from time to time. Even the best in the business have their Seguin moments. I didn’t agree with the Oleksiak proposal then, and I certainly don’t now, but evaluating someone’s current argument based on the quality of one of their past arguments isn’t sound. Everything you said up to this point is a solid argument and one that I agree with, which should make this last part unnecessary.

I think bringing up a person’s past evaluation of AHL Dmen when the discussion is that person’s evaluation of AHL Dmen is very valid.