WHO’S GOING TO STOCK THE FRIDGE?

This is the dawning of the age of McDavidness but we have some miles to go before skates cut ice and the minutiae of living has its own story to tell. With no small amount of trepidation, I present the following:

• Steve Simmons: It’s settled after much discussion: Connor McDavid will live at Taylor Hall’s place for his first NHL season. Funny to think of the 23-year-old Hall as a veteran, but this will be his sixth season in Edmonton. And McDavid is comfortable with him. Source

Before everyone on planet Edmonton goes off half-cocked and watches The Passion of Christ again, I’d just like to say this is the most natural fit we can imagine. They’re both brilliant young hockey players, enjoy life and apparently have a friendship. They aren’t that far apart in age and probably have similar interests. One suspects their agents and respective families are on board and after that it’s NO ONE’S BUSINESS. Full stop.

I remember the “Ryan Smyth would make a great Dad” and “Andrew Ference will have him running at 7am every morning” chats of the last couple of weeks and was rather dumbfounded by the entire discussion. Look, he’s already a great hockey player and it might be an idea to have him enjoy his Edmonton experience. Now there’s nothing like a family environment but the young man HAS a fantastic family already. As for Ference, that’s also a sticky wicket because there’s a reasonable chance the relationship between the veteran captain and this franchise ends by September 2016.

Hall’s a great fit. Both Ontario boys out to make their way in life, with frequent calls and drop-ins from the parents. As a proud Oilers fan and a resident of greater Edmonton, I encourage everyone to (as my daughter puts it so beautifully) “stay the hell out of (my) business unless you’re asked!”

Fin.

CULT OF HOCKEY TOP 20

The one thing I wish to be writing about the Cult of Hockey today is comparing the ‘blog Journal’ to the ‘Sports Journal’ in terms of page views. I’m betting there’s a news story there and if I EVER figure out a way to find that information I’m reporting it to you. David Staples, Bruce McCurdy and Jonathan Willis have completed their work on the prospects this summer and it is here. I like to compare the CofH list to mine each year (and will do the same for Copper and Blue when the boys wrap) because it’s a fun thing to do and offers a different view of the came prospect group.

Two things: The CofH list has a more traditional view of prospect (you have to be Calder eligible) so I have Leon Draisaitl, Andrew Miller, Tyler Pitlick and others on my list and they don’t appear on the other one. Also, their list tends to favor “NHL-ready” prospects and mine is absolutely biased in favor of offense and range of skills.

TOP 20 COMPAREThere are mostly subtle differences (we agree on the top four overall if Leon is included on their list) but there are also some substantial differences.

• The Cult of Hockey list has Brandon Davidson as the third best defenseman in the system. For me, his NHL-ready status is compelling, but I have 10 defensemen ahead of Davidson on my list because their potential and range is higher. We disagree on David Musil to a similar extent.
  • I have Joey Laleggia 10 slots higher than the Cult crew and that speaks to offense (I value it highly) as opposed to range of skills.

The lists are interesting to ponder and perhaps we’ll look back a few years from now and review them. I very much respect the work done by the Cult of Hockey in the prospect area and recommend it highly.

94 Responses to "WHO’S GOING TO STOCK THE FRIDGE?"

1. Aitch says:

One good thing about McDavid living with Hall… Hall is already committed to the Oilers past McDavid’s ELC.

2. leadfarmer says:

Poor Eberle, did he get booted to the couch?

3. mit167 says:

It might not be a fair comparison, but last year I thought Nail was trying to secure a centre when he had Leon living with him. This year its Taylor. Only thing was nobody complained when Yak did it. Is that because Yak is the goody goody living with Mom Dad and Family, or is it because when we think of Hall’s living arrangement our first thought (At least Mine) was how long before we see a tabloid shot or worse internet rumours of McD and Hall drunk at a bar.

Granted it is none of our business or is it… Face of the franchise / city. Its a lot of responsibility unjustly thrusted, but it comes with the territory of professional sports 18 or not.

That being said, if I was 18, well off, and had the choice of Old Man Ference / Smith or Taylor Hall… I’m picking #4 internet rumours be dammed.

4. LostBoy says:

I’ve thought about the EJ COH posts versus the “real” newspaper stories a bit in the last couple of years. I suspect like a lot of people I read COH daily just like I read Lowetide and the more worthwhile writers at ON. Traditional beat reporter articles can still sometimes shake loose a morsel or break some news, but for the most part they’re just way behind the curve and headed towards irrelevance (though I have great respect for Matty and will always read him). I do think the Journal website does a really poor job of grouping together and presenting their traditional content. I don’t even look at the Sun any more, except to sometimes read Jones when something big goes down.

5. leadfarmer says:

I like that those two will be living together. Hall can be a bigger brother type. Oh no they might party some say. Well I guess that would make them the first young millionaire athletes to party. As long as they don’t party the night before a game, who cares. Hall always seems to be in great shape so it’s not like he works on a beer belly in the offseason. Hopefully Katz hires them a professional chef so they eat right. But I hope they did party some this summer, and enjoy their summer

6. frjohnk says:

MCDavid living with Hall is really a no brainier. While not to the same extent, hall has gone through much of what McDavid has/will be.

Hearing that McDavid is comfortable with Hall will work wonders for McDavid as it will ease his transition to the bigs.

Can’t wait to see these two on the ice.

7. Soup Fascist says:

Side by side in big boy beds. They’re best friends; it’s Hall and the best generational talent the league has seen in potentially three decades, carrying the hopes and dreams of a franchise and city on his shoulders.

I’ll work on it.

8. Doug McLachlan says:

Don’t Hall and McDavid have Orr’s agency representing them? Seems a natural fit.

9. oliveoilers says:

I like this arrangement better than living in Mario’s basement for an uncomfortably long period of time….

10. Soup Fascist says:

With respect to the Smyth / Ference as sorority Mom camp, I think we all can relax.

While I am sure people can take pot shots at Taylor Hall for partying a bit and chasing skirts, he is a young man with a ton of money and the world at his fingertips. How many readers would be any different? Bottom line, there is very little evidence or even innuendo that Hall does not come to play every night.

Connor McDavid was born with the God-given abilities to be a great hockey player and apparently the work ethic to wring out every ounce of that ability and be elite. The fact he has an appletini with Hall and the fellas at Cactus Club after practice is not going to change things.

Hopefully everyone – press and the public – give all these young men some space.

11. steveb12344 says:

Soup Fascist:

I’ll work on it.

Nice one…lol

This got me thinking though. Does Connor have an actual hockey nickname? No, Jesus doesn’t count.

12. Soup Fascist says:

steveb12344: Nice one…lol

This got me thinking though.Does Connor have an actual hockey nickname?No, Jesus doesn’t count.

13. Johnny says:

I just hope it is McDavid that rubs off on Hall, and not the other way around.

Side not (well, not really, it’s quite relevant to my above comment)….why does Hall not weigh 200lbs yet? He’s got the frame for it.

14. steveb12344 says:

Soup Fascist: Modern day players are known for their inventive nicknames. “Mac” has to be 4/1 at worst.

I can’t think of any part of his name that can have a “sy” added to it.

I thought of Mac too, but he’s actually a “Mc” so not sure if that flies either.

15. Lloyd B. says:

I’ll go 4/1 as well. Except I’m going with Conny.

16. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Anyone think this could be the best thing to happen to Hall? I’m hoping Hall will be available when my turn comes in my fantasy draft. I’d consider taking him as high as #2 or #3 overall this year, in all honesty. That’s a roundabout way of saying: Hall is tired of losing. He goes to Roberts’ camp with McDavid. He takes the boy wonder under his wing. Is super responsible and focused, puts up 90 points on Connor’s wing.

17. russ99 says:

Perfect choice.

Plus it shows a lot of maturity and commitment by Hall.

Can we go ahead and give him the “C” already?

18. Ribs says:

The McGreat One, hahs…

19. cadooo says:

Hockey! Went to Kelowna Rockets vs PG Cougars exhibition game last night. Cole Linaker was playing and got to see 3on3 action. Rockets missing a ton of talent from last year but the rookies seem interesting.

Was focusing on draft eligible players and saw Cougars Josh Anderson good. Listed at 6’3″ and 213. Shutdown defender that broke up plays, positioned himself well and was aggressive on the puck.

20. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

russ99:
    Perfect choice.

Plus it shows a lot of maturity and commitment by Hall.

Can we go ahead and give him the “C” already?

This. He really ought to have the C this fall, but my prediction would be that it happens next fall. Nuge and Eberle with As.

21. book¡je says:

Johnny:

Take it for whatever you want, sorry I don’t have an advanced stat to prove it

I’ve heard, from a really reliable source, that Hall eats his pizza with a knife and fork.

Really, he’s just a terrible person.

22. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Johnny,

There’s a better place for public shaming and name-calling over at HFOil. That kind of thing is frowned upon here.

P.S. sports psychology isn’t for everyone and a team/blanket approach doesn’t address the fact that people are different. Turning it down (if that’s what happened) isn’t anything other than exercising the right to make one’s own decision on a personal matter.

23. russ99 says:

Johnny,

Meh. Personally, I glad Hall had the intestinal fortitude to not be in the “conform to every ludicrous thing Eakins wants” camp.

He leaves it all on the ice and has a ferocious desire to win, and that’s what I want to see rub off on McDavid, and Hall is uniquely the guy to help McDavid through the hard times as he had the “franchise savior” yoke himself not too long ago.

Besides, this move may help Hall find his inner “Moose” and we need that if we’re to contend for a cup.

24. frjohnk says:

Johnny:
    And just to give my comment some substance,

Ok, that settles it.

I’m suggesting Hall for OEL. Maybe we need to add.

My apologies if this has been proposed before.

Dear Johnny, If you’re going to make statements like those, I’ll need a link.

26. steveb12344 says:

NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker":
    Anyone think this could be the best thing to happen to Hall? I’m hoping Hall will be available when my turn comes in my fantasy draft.I’d consider taking him as high as #2 or #3 overall this year, in all honesty.That’s a roundabout way of saying: Hall is tired of losing. He goes to Roberts’ camp with McDavid. He takes the boy wonder under his wing. Is super responsible and focused,puts up 90 points on Connor’s wing.

I’m with you on this one. I’ve been thinking this ever since Taylor’s infamous tweet to Connor after the lottery.

Everything I’ve seen from Hall tells me he’d happily give up the puck bunnies and post-game beverages for a sniff at a championship.

I don’t think we have anything to worry about with these two. nor should we (as a fan base) be creating any narratives to the contrary.

27. Ribs says:

Hall learned how to use utensils? Wow! It feels like it was just days ago when he was trying to figure out how to peel a banana!

28. Rebilled says:

Hall-David-Eberle

McBook it.

29. Snowman says:

NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker":

This is how I see this too. I think its a great fit. Hall wants this thing to go supernova. Mcdavid doesn’t seem like the kind of kid who does anything besides what he wants to do. I love it. I’m excited. Hall and Mcdavid. I think we can put their names in sharpie on whiteboard line combinations now.

CAN THIS SEASON START ALREADY!!!! GAH!

30. oilswell says:

Hall seems like a professional to me and if you check your Oilers guide his biography suggests he may just have a lot of internal drive to succeed. Best two players on the team developing a good friendship? Sign me up. Yesterday.

McDavid ready has a hockey nick, sorta like Ron Hainsey had it built in. You add “ner” to the first syllable of his first name, like in “Wayner”, and you get “Conner”. His parents were thinking ahead, clearly.

31. frjohnk says:

russ99:
    Johnny,

That’s a great point. From some reports we know that when Eakins forced his exercise regime on the troops , Hall stood up and said that type of training went against everything he was taught in regards to being an explosive athlete.

Eakins would probably be a good bicycle athlete trainer for long distances but his training was not conducive for hockey.

I think Hall standing up against the coach for this is actually a great sign as a leader.

In this way Hall is a leader like Messier. Won’t take shit. But Messier would have taken it one step further and beat or at least threatened to best the shit out of the coach.

Hall for captain.

32. PDO says:

“And here’s the thing, it would give us so much extra space in our room to do activities!”

Really don’t have anything of value to add other than there are so many step brothers quotes that came to my mind when I read this.

33. Snowman says:

I might also add that this should end all Taylor Hall trade rumors for the 2015-2016 season.

Turns out OEL is going to stay a Coyote after all….

34. Pouzar says:

Dear Johnny, If you’re going to make statements like those, I’ll need a link.

Who’s Johnny?

35. Johnny Larue says:

Pretty sure it will be Hall , McDavid and Eberle living together . On Old Oil Change series they showed where they lived and Hall and Eberle were roomies.

36. Hammers says:

Hall and McD living together should work fine but I thought Ebs was his best buddy . Hope it doesn’t create problems . Then again maybe the 3 Muskateers .

37. Johnny Larue says:

FYI Johnny Larue and Johnny are 2 different posters

38. Soup Fascist says:

Lloyd B.: I’ll go 4/1 as well. Except I’m going with Conny.

As long as it isn’t “Conman”.

That would cause me to rethink the whole being an Oilers fan for the past 35 years thing.

leadfarmer:
    Poor Eberle, did he get booted to the couch?

Eberle already moved in with his girlfriend.

Great news about McDavid and Hall.

Just when you thought it wasn’t humanly possible for Hall to meet more girls, the bar gets raised.

Who’s going to stock the fridge

Roberts also teaches about how to eat as a high level athlete.

My guess is that those boys hire someone to pre-make a pile of meals for them.

40. Pouzar says:

Christopher Boucher‏@Chris_LogiQ
    Current top-5 for ES possession-driving plays per-20 among #NHL forwards: Voracek, Getzlaf, Nugent-Hopkins, Kadri, Kane #SportlogiQ

Nuge has got to be best 3rd line Center now!

41. Shizuka says:

I don’t know, LT… in one of your previous articles, even you admitted that you felt Ference had been publicly, non-officially calling out Hall for moping etc. We’ll see but it’s more a faint hope feeling for me that McDavid is the positive influence in that tandem — weird to think that an 18 year old would have to provide the maturity and focus on and off-ice to an older player.

42. Johnny says:

I knew that would not be a popular post, but since this was an opinion based article based around whether the said player would be a good fit, I offered some additional information that I have.

How about this….Hall should be the obvious choice to take the captaincy of this team. Let’s see if that happens.

Johnny:

Sure, but you’ll notice the article doesn’t make any claims that can’t be substantiated. That’s a key. Seriously.

44. Johnny says:

Yes, point taken. Although the fellow that broke the ‘Chiraelli coming to Edm’ news, via his contact that worked for the airline, did not provide a link and was shamed as well.

Notice I did not “name names”.

I think the problem everyone has was the slanderous nature of the comment, which was not even particularly slanderous. But I will cease and desist.

One more point. Unfortunately this cannot be proven either as I don’t have any times from a skills competition, but Iiro Pakarainen is NOT fast. Actually, speed is his weakness. This is what is going to keep him from any more than a cup of coffee in the show. I know this from watching the hockey games.

45. meanashell11 says:

Last season we had Ference taking shots at Hall. Well I guess management has decided who they are going with. Ference can now sit down (literally in the PB) and shut the f*&K up. This is Hall’s team and if Ference was a real leader he would just hand over the C to the team and let them decide.

As for those who claim Hall may be a bad influence, it does not seem to have affected Ebs at all?????

Johnny:
    Yes, point taken.Although the fellow that broke the ‘Chiraelli coming to Edm’ news, via his contactthat worked for the airline, did not provide a link and was shamed as well.

Notice I did not “name names”.

I think the problem everyone has was the slanderous nature of the comment, which was not even particularly slanderous.But I will cease and desist.

One more point.Unfortunately this cannot be proven either as I don’t have any times from a skills competition, but Iiro Pakarainen is NOT fast.Actually, speed is his weakness.This is what is going to keep him from any more than a cup of coffee in the show.I know this from watching the hockey games.

The gentleman in question (it we’re talking the same person) provided me with a photo of Peter Chiarelli at Earl’s. I thanked him for it and told him I couldn’t proceed without second confirmation. At no time did I shame him or call him into question. You are taxing my patience at this time.

47. CurtisS says:

” One suspects their agents and respective families are on board and after that it’s NO ONE’S BUSINESS. Full stop.”

Dam this is 100% truth right here. Well said LT.

48. Hammers says:

The real questions here should be opinion based on defence and forwards. We all think we have the answers but seldom agree with everyone and that’s why I keep coming back to LT .

Woodguy: Eberle already moved in with his girlfriend.

Great news about McDavid and Hall.

Who’s going to stock the fridge

Roberts also teaches about how to eat as a high level athlete.

My guess is that those boys hire someone to pre-make a pile of meals for them.

There are specialized food preparation companies in Toronto that do this. There must be some in Edmonton, or ones that want to expand to Edmonton.

50. Bruce McCurdy says:

Well said, LT. Read this paragraph aloud to my wife and had to stop to laugh at “planet Edmonton”.

I think I’m glad I missed Twitter this morning, & am deliberately responding to this from your post before beginning to read the comments section.

51. book¡je says:

Dear Johnny, If you’re going to make statements like those, I’ll need a link.

How is anybody supposed to believe it’s true without a link.?

Speaking of which, I hope everyone has gotten their DNA recoded to prepare for the journey to Niburia. It could happen any day as per http://www.nibiruancouncil.com.

52. RexLibris says:

This is based off of only my own perceptions thus far, but I’m of the opinion that Hall at 23 is probably as mature as McDavid is at 18.

No disrespect to Hall but I thnk he’s spent the last five years enjoying being a young buck and there’s nothing wrong with that.

McDavid, through all the interviews (and there have been a few) appears as someone more like Nugent-Hopkins in his understated approach and business-like manner.

They may not be the odd couple, but I think they can relate to each other a great deal and will Hall (and presumably Eberle) will help to keep McDavid light during what promises to be an intense season while McDavid will likely present a good demonstration of work ethic and focus for the veterans.

I’d still have been all in favour of Smyth having a role, but Hall, Eberle, McDavid, Nugent-Hopkins and Yakupov hanging out together gives me absolutely no cause for concern.

book¡je: How is anybody supposed to believe it’s true without a link.?

Speaking of which, I hope everyone has gotten their DNA recoded to prepare for the journey to Niburia.It could happen any day as per http://www.nibiruancouncil.com.

Dammit!!!!! I have no response to this!!!!!

54. Bruce McCurdy says:

You’d be surprised at how many questions/comments I get about Nibiru while working at the observatory.

Or maybe you wouldn’t. People love supernatural explanations & conspiracy theories.

55. Bruce McCurdy says:

LT: I enjoy your comp of our prospects list. I’m one of those who stands “guilty as charged” when it comes to (over-?)valuing NHL-readiness. I’m always thinking about a prospect’s ability to make the Oilers specifically, not just the NHL, and the closer he is to doing that, the better. Of course it is just “a” factor, not “the” factor, but it’s a factor.

If you asked me to name one guy who we may well have underrated, I’d say Joey Legs. I nearly mentioned that in the wrap-up post. He came a lot further last year than a jump from #29 to #22 suggests.

56. dustrock says:

dustrock:

Yes, that’s true. When I was mod it was hell’s bells if you did it. (An aside, the original post wasn’t vicious or even outrageous but didn’t have a link).

58. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

steveb12344: I can’t think of any part of his name that can have a “sy” added to it.

Connsey?

Bruce McCurdy:

The guy I think you slotted better than my list (I should have changed it) is Slepyshev. I’m just so damned hesitant about Euro’s now but hopefully things work out.

60. pocession charge says:

dustrock:

Thought that you didn’t hang out on HF Oil?

61. pocession charge says:

A lot of people (i.e. guys under 30) are jealous of Hall and this new living arrangement will only worsen the problem. For anyone who cares to post a disparaging remark about Taylor Hall without knowing him: Grow up, get a life, stop it.

62. oliveoilers says:

Every single conspiracy theory out there was blown out of the water when Edmonton won the draft lottery.

Or maybe we’re supposed to think that……

Derp.

63. RexLibris says:

pocession charge:
    A lot of people (i.e. guys under 30) are jealous of Hall and this new living arrangement will only worsen the problem.For anyone who cares to post a disparaging remark about Taylor Hall without knowing him:Grow up, get a life, stop it.

I’m well outside his age-bracket and have no axe to grind with young professional athletes. But I have only empathy for these young men having to grow up in the spotlight of a voracious market during the social media age.

If twitter and snapchat were around in 1980 I’d bet not one of the young kids would have made it out alive.

Except Kurri. I bet he was home and tucked in bed by 9:30 every night.

64. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

book¡je: I hope everyone has gotten their DNA recoded

Can you recommend a good DNA re-coding place in Calgary? I think the last place sold my samples to a fertility clinic.

65. RexLibris says:

book¡je: How is anybody supposed to believe it’s true without a link.?

Thanks for the link.

One question I would have of these folks is based off the following excerpt: The Nibiruans’ mission is to prepare humanity to take their rightful place in the greater galactic community.

If humanity is meant to take it’s place amongst the greater galactic community, presumably based on some sort of merit system, how then do you explain away the Kardashians, Donald Trump, the Hungarian response to the refugee crisis and a semi-professional midget-tossing league?

Those seem like they’d be deal-breakers if I were forming a galactic community.

66. LadiesloveSmid says:

Good sign from Hall. A year ago I was worried he’d be long gone by the end of this season, and I imagine if they drafted Hanifin he would’ve been. McDavid changed everything. MCDAVID!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

as for the nicknames, I heard Strome call McD, “Davo”

67. pts2pndr says:

Lt
    I love this post! Having raised 4 achievers to adulthood you are bang on the money! If and when Taylor or Connor need advice or council they will ask! You do not get to where they are at without a great deal of drive and focus! They will make some mistakes. That is their business and they have earned a private life and it is imperative as the fan base to make sure they are afforded the same rights we would demand!

68. Woogie63 says:

There is an interesting chapter in the book Socceronmics about bringing a young star on to a team. The chapter highlights that this is an often over looked part of becoming a professional athlete. After re-reading that chapter this morning. The “choice” of Hall as McDavid’s off ice mentor make some good sense to me.

godot10: There are specialized food preparation companies in Toronto that do this.There must be some in Edmonton, or ones that want to expand to Edmonton.

There are fleets of private chefs in Edmonton.

Wouldn’t be hard to get it done.

70. Pouzar says:

RexLibris: I’ve heard a couple of second and third-hand accounts of Hall off-ice and there’s not a one of them that worried me or gave me pause.

Can you imagine if we drafted SeQuin???

71. commonfan14 says:

dustrock: Just gotta defend HF Oil and say that people usually get banned for posting salacious rumors about any of the athletes.

Between bananas and boating tests, Hall has that corner covered all by himself.

72. oliveoilers says:

RexLibris: the Hungarian response to the refugee crisis

Rex, although the Hungarian government are far right nut jobs, they do have a point:

If you’re fleeing persecution and the danger of death, why go all the way to Germany, France or the UK? Surely, when you reach Hungary or Turkey, you are safe. And just who is getting in? More than one case of lunatics even ISIS are afraid of being told to get out or they’ll be killed.

I think Hungary and Turkey are being used as a buffer sub rosa the UK, French and German goverments.

Just another POV.

Back to hockey, I think Hall and McLovin’ will be just fine. I don’t think Uncle Pete and Uncle Todd will let things get too out of hand. Also, Todd just coached Hall, so probably has a good handle on it.

73. oliveoilers says:

Pouzar: Can you imagine if we drafted SeQuin???

Wouldn’t have needed second or third hand accounts, LOL.

74. rickithebear says:

If OEL is the standard of DEFENCE we are excited about our team is doomed.
    OEL #99 15.11

Doughty #13 12.37 1st comp
    Greene #17 12.57 3rd comp
    Voynov #27 13.42 2nd comp
    Mitchell #37 13.66 2nd comp

CHI
    #28 Hjarlmasson 13.48 1st comp
    #38 Roszival 13.68 3rd comp to??????
    #50 Oduya 14.05 1st comp to Dallas
    #52 Leddy 14.08 3rd comp to NYI
    #71 Keith 14.47 2nd comp
    #84 Seabrook 14.65 2nd comp

CGY:
    #32 Brodie 13.53 1st
    #66 Giordano 14.41 1st
    #70 Hamilton 14.40 1st

the saving grace or us is Tmac generates top end box protection d.
    #8 Braun 11.99
    #11 White 12.21
    #22 Vlasic 13.09
    #30 Demers 13.46
    #39 Burns 13.73
    #42 Boyle 13.86

75. rickithebear says:

book¡je: How is anybody supposed to believe it’s true without a link.?

Isn’t that John Lennon’s Niburian reincarnate.
    or
    is it just him transitioning!

76. blainer says:

Pouzar:
    Christopher Boucher‏@Chris_LogiQ

Nuge has got to be best 3rd line Center now!

77. Pouzar says:

blainer: Most of the attention these days is directed at Hall and CMD playing together and that is understandable but I am betting that Nuge is our top point getter this year. I am putting him in the Seguin class this year and really think he will out score Seguin. This year is Nuge’s year and next year will be CMD’s year with hall also at a point per game.. The reason I think Nuge is ahead of Hall points wise is mostly health… Nuge will be our MVP this year. Book it !!

Wow…Nuge is my fav but daaaaaumm!

78. LMHF#1 says:

Gotta ask again LT as it didn’t get answered last time – how are we supposed to share personal experiences that aren’t media/league stuff? It’s good context. Especially from long-time reliable posters. When it’s not implicating someone in something illegal or defaming at least. ( I didn’t see the earlier comment so have no idea)

Just skip it? That doesn’t seem like a plan. Unless you feel you’re in absolutely no position to let those stay which is certainly your prerogative as it is your site.

Not trying to test you, just confused.

79. blainer says:

rickithebear:
    If OEL is the standard of DEFENCE we are excited about our team is doomed.
    OEL #99 15.11

Doughty #1312.37 1st comp
    Greene #17 12.57 3rd comp
    Voynov #27 13.42 2nd comp
    Mitchell #37 13.66 2nd comp

CHI
    #28 Hjarlmasson 13.48 1st comp
    #38 Roszival 13.68 3rd comp to??????
    #50Oduya 14.05 1st comp to Dallas
    #52 Leddy 14.08 3rd comp to NYI
    #71 Keith14.47 2nd comp
    #84 Seabrook 14.65 2nd comp

CGY:
    #32 Brodie 13.53 1st
    #66 Giordano 14.41 1st
    #70 Hamilton 14.40 1st

the saving grace or us is Tmac generates top end box protection d.
    #8 Braun 11.99
    #11 White 12.21
    #22 Vlasic 13.09
    #30 Demers 13.46
    #39 Burns 13.73
    #42 Boyle13.86

Nice Post Ricki.. I am in the camp that also thinks OEL is over rated. Decent D but not Norris quality IMO..

LMHF#1:

Not trying to test you, just confused.

81. v4ance says:

RexLibris: Thanks for the link.

Those seem like they’d be deal-breakers if I were forming a galactic community.

Humanity’s place in the galactic community? I was just thinking of Logan’s Run and Box….

82. Tire Fire says:

I worked in Windsor for a couple of years and had lots of connections into the sphere of Hall. I worked with a couple kids he went to high school with and one from his Spitfires team. I even went to a party at the house he billeted at (after he moved on). Never heard any rumours that were in any way interesting.

Rumours and gossip usually only spread because the teller and listener are in love with looking down on people, not because there’s truth inside the story.

I did ask one of his old Spits teammates if Hall liked it in Edmonton despite the losing. The guy said he asked the same thing and Hall said he liked it so far (couple of years ago). Same guy is much closer with Kassian, sounds like he’s more of a dumbass rather than a hateful person.

83. oliveoilers says:

v4ance: Humanity’s place in the galactic community?I was just thinking of Logan’s Run and Box….

The World’s End

84. Snowman says:

For Mcdavid’s nickname I’d really find it pretty hilarious if everyone called him “Sir”.

85. Rebilled says:

book¡je,

Can we draft Niburians? A wookie told me they make great defensemen.

86. oliveoilers says:

Are Nubians from the Nile called Nubiles?

87. RexLibris says:

oliveoilers,

While the situation facing Hungary (and Italy, Greece and the Balkans) is true to some extent wrt how they are treated by Germany, the UK and France, there are some serious issues within the EU in terms of how each state lives up to it’s refugee obligations.

The Schengen and Dublin agreements are either faltering or now completely disregarded because the situation today was never conceived of when they were drawn up. Enforcing them is now almost impossible without a single centralized authority, something the EU was designed specifically to avoid.

88. RexLibris says:

Funny, I was thinking of the opening for the old Battlestar Galactica or Babylon 5.

Logan’s Run is a fantastic movie that gets a bad rap because it was part of the 70s sci-fi run that produced some pretty bad films.

89. RexLibris says:

oliveoilers:
    Are Nubians from the Nile called Nubiles?

There’s a great story Herodotus tells about the Egyptians and Nubians.

Egyptians were pretty pompous about being the oldest civilization but one of the Pharoahs decided to put this to the test and had two children separated from their mothers and locked away and had someone stand ready to record their first words, the idea being that the first words the children uttered would indicate which language was ab origines to the human race.

Apparently the first words uttered were closest to Ethiopian (Nubian) and so the Egyptians, despite their many wars and constant territorial rivalry with, came to respect the Ethiopians as the oldest people in the world.

90. Ribs says:

I love it. McDavid used to go over to Cujo’s barn/rink to skate when he was a youngster, then he’s mentored by Taylor Hall in the Allstate All Canadian Mentorship Progam while playing in Bantam, and now Hall takes him under his wing during his first NHL season. His Oilers training has been in the making for years now!

91. Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker) says:

Lowetide: I think it’s best to avoid posting things that are second hand, presented as fact and open to interpretation.

What would we do at draft time?

Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker): What would we do at draft time?

We relax all rules at that time. 🙂

93. magisterrex says:

McDavid’s soon-to-be-bestowed nickname, based on the time-honored NHL Nickname Code:

Mcsey

Pronounced, “Mick-See”

You know it’s coming.

Embrace it.

94. Jaxon says:

I think I’d have Slepyshev higher. Ahead of Pakarinen and maybe ahead of Yakimov. His pedigree (KHL 1st overall pick) and the way he ended his KHL season is just too good to ignore. I would also put LaLeggia ahead of Bear and maybe ahead of Platzer and Chase. The list of college D who’ve achieved an NHLE of 37pts is a list of top NHL D, even the ones that are as small as Joey (Shattenkirk, Goligoski, Liles).