ROOKIE CAMP WRAP 2015

Every spring training, baseball men remark that the ‘hitting has to catch up to the pitching’ but for the Oilers at the Young Stars camp, the defense definitely has some work to do in order to reach the levels provided by the offense. This afternoon’s game featured an entire set of young blue and the results were predictably chaotic. Here’s how I saw the tournament overall.

1. LW Josh Winquist, 3GP, 4-1-5. He is 22 so good performances should be expected from Winquist. That said, it’s clear he has scoring skill and an ability to go to the right places in the offensive zone. As you know, I’ve been a fan for some time (Rom was on the train before me) and one hopes we see further progress and perhaps a pre-season game with the big team.
  2. C Leon Draisait, 3GP, 2-3-5. I thought he was dangerous on every rush and responsible on every defensive sortie. Peter Chiarelli felt he had some slow starts to games and that may be true but I think it’s fair to say he passed the test. He’s a teenager until the end of this month.
  3. L Braden Christoffer, 3GP, 3-1-4. The one player this camp who came out of nowhere to shine brightly and I bet he gets a long look during the rest of his camp. He’s a rugged bugger and has skill, is 21 and is slightly undersized for pro hockey. Impressive.
  4. C Alexis Loiseau 2GP, 2-2-4. He was outstanding today, really skilled with great anticipation and the ability to finish. Another 21 year old, he’s 6.01 and posted quality junior scoring numbers. I’m not sure how the Oilers will figure out these minor-league deals, everyone looks damned good.
  5. C Kyle Platzer 3GP, 1-2-3. He has a nice range of skills and those things were on display all weekend. Helped offensively and even created some chances shorthanded plus had a PP assist. I’m not sure where he’ll play in Bakersfield but believe he’ll get a chance to be a regular there.
  6. D Joey Laleggia 2GP, 1-2-3. Another example of a player whose experience (he is 23) gives him a massive advantage. That said, there can be no doubt this is a quality puck-moving defender and we should be paying attention to him in camp and beyond.
  7. L Connor Rankin 3GP, 2-0-2. I really liked his determination on every play, seemed to dig every chance and challenged everything with or without the puck. He may not make a massive impression during TC but for me he left it all out there and maybe was a little unlucky with pucks going in.
  8. C Connor McDavid 1GP, 1-1-2. When I saw him at Orientation Camp he surprised me in a good way—he’s really shocking in full flight. I don’t think we got a chance to see that at the Young Stars, mostly because of the nature of the format and Edmonton’s determination not to have a devastating headline. Can’t blame them, but we shouldn’t be worrying over any specific game in regard to his health.
  9. R Greg Chase 2GP, 0-2-2. He’s 20 and rocked this tournament a year ago. Posted a point-per-game but based on his previous showing perhaps more should have been delivered. Of immediate concern: Why didn’t he play today and is it a long term issue? Important season ahead for him.
  10. R Cole Sanford 3GP, 0-2-2. I didn’t see him good beyond reminding me of Vladimir Tkachev, it was enough for me to be curious about him for the season. Good hands. He’s small, though.
  11. R Anton Slepyshev 3GP, 1-0-1. He’s 21 and for me his best game was the first one. It’s very important not to overreact with any of these young men, but especially those who are going through a culture change and adjusting to the difference ice. It’s especially interesting to see that Peter Chiarelli noticed him to the point of mentioning Slepyshev as a possible sleeper for the big league roster.
  12. D Darnell Nurse 2GP, 1-0-1. Big man (now 20) with exceptional speed, he’s impossible to ignore. Peter Chiarelli (and others, Ryan Rishaug made some great points on TSN1260 this morning as I was driving to work) pointed out there’s much to learn in terms of decision making and actions with the puck, and those things are going to be front and center as we continue toward pre-season and the regular year. It’s possible we see Nurse sent down early during pre-season in order to get things set for the year and it sounds like we’re going to see a pruned roster sooner than later. I think today’s performance probably points out how much cover Nurse and Laleggia were giving in the first two games.
  13. D Loik Leveille 2GP, 0-1-1. He has chaos to his game but it’s important to put things into perspective. He’s 19 months younger than Darnell Nurse—that’s an enormous difference at this age—and the chaos should be placed in that context. Honestly, he reminds me of M-A Bergeron in that he recovers quickly from errors and seems to be able to turn on a dime and back track on sorties when needed.
  14. L Mitchell Moroz 1GP, 0-1-1. I’m so disappointed he hurt his hand, for me the big man had/has a big chance to impact the pre-season and Bakersfield this year. Moroz is 21 and the time is now for him, so one hopes he can get back into the regular routine quickly. Looked good in the game I saw, was hoping to see more of the same today.
  15. R Rihards Bukarts 3GP, 0-0-0. He turns 20 in December, I was expecting more from him but it’s been a relatively quiet camp so far. Three shots in three games isn’t going to turn heads, and like Slepyshev I feel his best game was the first one.
  16. D Colton Waltz 3GP, 0-0-0. He’s 20 (turns 21 in January) and that extra little experience showed compared to youngsters like Leveille. I like his size (looks bigger than 6.01, 198), don’t know if there’s a player there.
  17. D Ben Betker 3GP, 0-0-0. Massive gent (6.06, 223) who struggled today, I think it’s impossible to make sweeping statements in a three game tournament and would encourage patience (reading some pretty enraged statements on him). He’s 21, perhaps he begins his pro career in the ECHL, miles from making a call on this player.
  18. C Marco Roy 2GP, 0-0-0. He’s a good skater to my eye, intelligence is in his scouting report, yet we saw (he’s 21 in November) a backpass to an opponent on a promising rush and the return sortie results in a goal. He looks like a different prospect than the one who played here in 2013 fall, here’s hoping he can find his game in the ECHL.
  19. C Cole Linaker 2GP, 0-0-0. Showed some flashes today (he’s 20) and I’m not sure he got enough of a chance to showcase his ability.
  20. C Tyler Soy 2GP, 0-0-0. Like Linaker, I don’t know that he got enough time. Tried to get things going for his line, and we have to remember he’s 18 and that’s going to impact at this level.
  21. D Kevin Davis 2GP, 0-0-0. He showed some flashes but there was a lot of chaos out there. Has a decent shot, and at 18 lots of development time.
  22. D Ethan Bear 2GP, 0-0-0. I liked his first game (had some edge, passed the puck decently, dogged on the check) but he was exposed today against the smaller but more skilled Jets. Bear is 18 and one of the younger players at this camp, so we should expect improvement for next summer.
  23. D Caleb Jones 2GP, 0-0-0. Also 18 (20 days older than Bear) I felt Jones showed calm feet and an ability to settle things down when chaos reigned. This is a ‘saw him good’ assertion and if you don’t agree that’s fine, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and no one is going to remember this weekend when Jones is 23. Definitely had shaky moments, but for me there was less chaos with Jones today.
  24. G Eetu Laurikainen 2GP, 3.08 .904. As good as he looked on Friday, I felt he gave a lot of it back today. Much of the problem may have come from young defense, but I think he was exposed a little this afternoon.
  25. G Jordan Papirny 1GP, 3.00 .912. I felt he had a good game, and especially early when times were hard and Edmonton didn’t have an answer. Sign this kid!
  26. G Keven Bouchard 1GP, 4.48 .867. Goalies are voodoo, so you never know. I don’t think he performed well this weekend.

41 Responses to "ROOKIE CAMP WRAP 2015"

1. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

OR

G Keven Bouchard 1GP, 4.48 .867. Met expectations.

2. striatic says:

LaLeggia was the happiest surprise of the tournament for me.

Maybe not a total surprise after seeing his ability against McDavid at orientation camp, but seeing the consistency against better opposition leaves me hopeful.

True, he was one of the older guys on the ice but he exceeded my expectations at this level of play and look forward to seeing how he does at training camp.

There’s no way he makes the NHL roster but he’s positioning himself very well to get a lot of AHL minutes and possibly a cup of coffee or two.

3. spoiler says:

I thought Linaker’s skill and decision-making were clearly behind the rest of the pack. I’m glad he got to fulfill his dream of putting on Oiler threads, but I doubt he gets another opportunity.

Slepyshev didn’t have the best game today, but he impresses me with his willingness to throw his body around, an element I didn’t know he had.

Would be curious to know Drai’s TOI today. He got played in all situations. His anticipation of where the puck is going is exceptional; it seemed to “follow him around”. Also had a couple of Datsyukian strips.

Sanford, Soy not doing enough IMO.

I thought we had some pretty sloppy puck management by the Forwards today, which made things more difficult on the young D.

Christoffer, while having a nice offensive outing had some poor shifts defensively. Rankin and Loiselle both impressed me though, and the Winquist signing still looks smart a year later. Roy is definitely struggling. Platzer was very solid though and has earned the trust of the #1 PK option.

I think Betker was feeling his role a little today and was guilty of trying to do too much.

Eetu absolutely stoned Ehlers and Petan on several occasions, yet looked discombobulated on a couple of goals. Mixed bag from him today.

4. v4ance says:

5. Soup Fascist says:

So you have to sit three forwards / two defensemen / one goalie for the Bears game Wednesday. Not sure of the injury status of Moroz / Chase. Assuming those two dress who gets the short straw? My guess:

Bouchard

Davis / Waltz

Bukarts / Linaker / Soy

6. Soup Fascist says:

v4ance: http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=779029“Flames sign Rasmus Andersson” AKA prove you are willing to get beaten senseless to sign a contract!

Some nice work by Treliving. Get the kid to sign a min level contract while he is still a bit “foggy”. Cagey veteran move!

7. stush18 says:

I’d like to put my name out there as a long time supporter of winquist.

And by long time I mean since his first pro season. Saw him good and couldn’t believe he was sent to the echl.

Assuming* he keeps a perfectly straight development line, I dunno where he would ever fit. Top nine skilled scorer, but we seem to be flush with them these days.

8. AsiaOil says:

Can’t say I’m as thrill as others with this “tournament” which largely appears to be teenage gladiator auditions on ice. For the life of me I don’t see why we throw expensive investments into harms way in these “matches” which are utterly meaningless. There are players clearly trying to hurt other guys to get noticed or make a point – and it can cost a career. Simple blood sport that I will not comment upon beyond this.

9. stush18 says:

AsiaOil:

It gives an even look against peers, and a chance to compare players.

I don’t think I’ve ever known a career ever ruined from this tourney.

Why bother ever having preseason at any level? Let’s just jump straight into the season, and evaluate from there.

10. sliderule says:

I like Slepyshev more than most of the posters .

Got in on the forecheck and battled for puck and won a bunch.

Of the draft blue I thought that Jones showed the most potential.

He is a very good skater who can walk the blue line.

The defensive smarts in defensive zone will come but you can’t teach skating.

11. spoiler says:

sliderule:
    I like Slepyshev more than most of the posters .

Got in on the forecheck and battled for puck and won a bunch.

Of the draft blue I thought that Jones showed the most potential.

He is a very good skater who can walk the blue line.

The defensive smarts in defensive zone will come but you can’t teach skating.

I watched through some of the game again, and I think I was too harsh on him. He played a decent game and the times I didn’t notice him were when he was playing the high guy and being positionally responsible.

Threw a couple of big hits and scrapped a lot for pucks along the wall. Very involved player at times. And while he was on for the OT goal, he had his man marked and was in the right spot. He was on for both the Oiler 3rd period goals, and probably should have had an assist on one.

12. OilClog says:

Marty’s write up is fantastic!

On the other hand.. Is Specs agenda on sportsnet to be the company’s biggest asshat?

He’s still talking about that hit like it was some sort of BoBo hit at centre ice.

lets forget they won the game 8-2 and that all game long Moroz, Chase, and Nurse all responded with kind.

Let’s forget the big club has Heavy fists Hendricks, Gut spear Pouliot, all chin Lander, the new Finn, Pitlick hitting anything that moves thusly injuring himself, Giant Gryba, The Dentist Ference, Rhino, Nurse when he arrives.

If Todd gets this team into a pack mentality.

Fuck the Nucks, Fuck the Flames, and Fuck that one unnamed scout and his interviewer!

13. Hammers says:

sliderule:
    I like Slepyshev more than most of the posters .

Got in on the forecheck and battled for puck and won a bunch.

Of the draft blue I thought that Jones showed the most potential.

He is a very good skater who can walk the blue line.

The defensive smarts in defensive zone will come but you can’t teach skating.

Totally agree with you other than Nuse and Leon who where top D and F . Your two need a decent shot .

14. spoiler says:

OilClog: It was nice to see the AHL deals play so well. Green and MacT deserve some kudos

I agree. If we think of these signings as replacing the draft picks the Oilers spent on Talbot and Reinhart, I think the Oilers did very well accumulating young prospects this summer.

Maybe that’s the new efficiency… spending picks to help fill out the roster, and then going to the over-looked over-aged cupboard to add the missing prospects and signing them to AHL-only deals. (If only Tambo had employed something similar…)

Their AHL choices have looked solid thus far and I have to say I admire the overall strategy.

15. spoiler says:

Great writeup from Matty, Chiarelli talking about the kids

His comments on Laleggia make me think of Schultz and his defensive struggles.

16. leadfarmer says:

AsiaOil,

Thank you. Finally someone agrees with me. These are not MacDavids peers. They are not even Nurses or Draisatls peers. This is for guys who are fighting for contracts trying get their GMs attention, and they are there for the GMs to get a look at some of these long to very long shots. MacDavid has nothing to prove against these guys that he already hasn’t proven.

The point of having a preseason is different because you get to try different line combos and develop some chemistry between the guys before the games mean anything. MacDavid doesn’t need to develop chemistry with Moroz. They won’t be on the ice together for years if ever.

17. RexLibris says:

In OT:

Flames 2 (Proulx, Klimchuk)

Canucks 3 (Fox, Abols, Virtanen)

By my reckoning that means the tournament ended
    1. Oilers
    2. Jets
    3. Flames
    4. Canucks

18. Bootstrap Effexor says:

From time to time—since sometime last season—Willis begins to sound more like Bruce (99% of all fates in life are worse than this).

Except when he doesn’t.

He appeared to injure Jan Kostalek in an incident where the video didn’t make it totally clear what had happened, but that hit came moments after a fairly fierce crosscheck.

I take it the unclear video somehow captured the fierceness of the crosscheck without revealing the colour, number, or relative stature of either jersey involved?

Story 1A: abused meanie with a grin of orthodontic toil retaliated with principle and interest

Story 1B: abused meanie with a glove of margaritic foil retaliated with principal and intent

Story 2: big meanie dished it out double rubble, and the gunny-slacked cameracrew didn’t cotton onto the antics spot on the button to discern which hearty serving doled out a complementary packet of in-flight Hurt Locker pop rocks (pineapple flavoured).

#AllOuttaBubbleGum

Except for that small oops with the uncoloured wires, it was a nicely written piece by our dearly beloved Young Willis.

———

[*] Yes, I kind of cheated with “margaritic” which turns out to have invert sugar Google juice, so unfortunately I had to link it.

———

Curling has an ancient enough pedigree to have spawned the odd phrase as well as its jargon words, as it originated in Scotland in the 1600s and it would be pleasing to find a Scottish phrase that wasn’t coined by Sir Walter Scott. Regrettably, ‘on the button’ is a 20th century phrase and from the USA. It is from a sporting context, but from boxing rather than curling. The ‘button’ in question is the US slang term for the point of the chin.

[Small edit + hashtag afterthought after my lemon tree tapped me half-proofed for an IRA outing (impromptu retail adventure).]

19. Centre of attention says:

Looks like Kyle Okposo having trouble in contract negotiations with the Islanders. Should the Oil be interested?

20. spoiler says:

As noted by Elliotte Friedman, “this is really good:”

Blues coaching staff on dealing with 3-on-3 hockey.

21. Bag of Pucks says:

Bootstrap Effexor:

Except when he doesn’t.

Story 2: big meanie dished it out double rubble, and the gunny-slacked cameracrew didn’t cotton onto the antics spot on the button to discern which hearty serving included a complementary packet of in-flight Hurt Locker pop rocks.

#AllOuttaBubbleGum

———

———

I’m sure Willis is hugely relieved that you approve of his writing.

Do you offer a free decoder ring with these posts?

22. RexLibris says:

I’m posting this here now, in the hopes that we never, ever need to use it this season: http://imgur.com/gallery/ZQDEhGF

23. G Money says:

RexLibris:

Isn’t that Steve Tambellini?

24. Bag of Pucks says:

spoiler:
    As noted by Elliotte Friedman, “this is really good:”

Blues coaching staff on dealing with 3-on-3 hockey.

Did a little digging and turns out that the Blues lay claim to Wayne Gretzky, Grant Fuhr and Glenn Anderson among their Hall of Fame players. Hence Andy’s name appearing on their Hall of Fame wall. lol

Blues suddenly leap to the top of the Most Pathetic Franchises in the NHL list.

Does this mean we can lay claim to Adam Oates as one of our HOFers?

25. RexLibris says:

Bag of Pucks: Spotted something very bizarre in that video. 11 seconds in video shows Glenn Anderson’s name on some sort of ring of honour in the Blues practice facility beside the year he was inducted in the Hall of Fame, 2008.

Blues suddenly leap to the top of the Most Pathetic Franchises in the NHL list.

Does this mean we can lay claim to Adam Oates as one of our HOFers?

The Canucks still take the cake for me.

They “purchased” the rights to the Vancouver Millionaires name, thereby allowing themselves to commemorate that team’s Stanley Cup victory.

In 1915.

See! You can buy a championship!

26. RexLibris says:

G Money: Isn’t that Steve Tambellini?

That’s way too much activity for Tambellini.

That’s Eakins’ circus dog.

He’s excellent at coaching for Corgis.

27. v4ance says:

spoiler:
    As noted by Elliotte Friedman, “this is really good:”

Blues coaching staff on dealing with 3-on-3 hockey.

Watching that video had me thinking… Nurse will be on the team sooner than we think because of 3 on 3 hockey.

If the game goes to 3 on 3, it will be an absolute track meet with the elite skaters dominating. From what the Blues coaching staff outlined, you’d probably only go with 5 forwards and 2 or 3 defencemen.

When I think of the Oilers, the forwards I’d want on a 3 on 3 team are RNH, McDavid, Hall, Eberle and one of Lander or Draisaitl. Basically every guy should be able to take a draw if the first guy gets tossed in a faceoff (center depth is a huge advantage!), have the skating ability to attack and defend (a little) and be offensively creative.

On defence, really, the only option that would be a lock would be Klefbom. Schultz scares the crap outta me because he’s gonna win it for us or the other team in one foray. The rest of the defence looks like they may not have the skating chops to keep up with the increased speed of 3 on 3. Nurse looks custom built for 3 on 3 with his magnificent skating ability, his size and his athleticism.

28. Bruce McCurdy says:

spoiler:
    As noted by Elliotte Friedman, “this is really good:”

Blues coaching staff on dealing with 3-on-3 hockey.

Thanks. That was a real interesting watch. When even the Blues are talking about “going for it” you can expect OT to be wide open this season.

29. Bruce McCurdy says:

RexLibris:

File that under “Calgary”.

30. Jigger says:

Bruce McCurdy,

It was awesome to see former Red Deer College head coach Ray Bennett on there. By a long way one of the smartest “hockey” people I have ever met or worked with.

31. Bruce McCurdy says:

Jigger:
    Bruce McCurdy,

Thanks. I was trying to place him.

32. Jigger says:

Bruce McCurdy: Thanks. I was trying to place him.

</blockquo
    Yeah he is a former deciple of Mike Babcock they went to Moose Jaw together and got fired before finding success.

33. Bank Shot says:

Great writeup from Matty, Chiarelli talking about the kids

Chiarelli didn’t boast about a single one of them being a future Norris winner.

This guy has a lot to learn about GMing.

34. SwedishPoster says:

Bank Shot: Chiarelli didn’t boast about a single one of them being a future Norris winner.

This guy has a lot to learn about GMing.

Can we really have a GM who so blatantly doesn’t believe in his own team? No “Klefbom is a lock for the all time all star team”. No “Hall will make them change then name of the Hall of Fame to the Hall of Fame”? He’s clearly here just to collect a paycheck.

35. book¡je says:

Say what you will about Eakins. He kicked ass on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert last night. Great performance all around.

36. jp says:

book¡je:
    Say what you will about Eakins.He kicked ass on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert last night.Great performance all around.

So that’s what he does all summer instead of watching video of his new team….

37. jimmers2 says:

book¡je,

Meh… they have got chops, no doubt, but the drummer isn’t heavy enough on his stick for my liking…

38. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

jimmers2,

I hear you. I mean, it’s like, you’ve chopped all this wood, for sure, but where’s the water, you know?

39. book¡je says:

jimmers2:
    book¡je,

He could learn a thing or two from a band like the White Stripes.

40. TheGreatMcMutato says:

book¡je:

Holy. So he’s got his ax – point him at some wood in need of chopping.