MAKE IT FIVE!

I was wrong. ALL these years I’ve been predicting a three-for-one trade, lighting a candle for a three-for-one trade, howling at the moon for a three-for-one trade and it wasn’t enough. Now, a FIVE-for-one trade happened today and maybe that’s the ticket! Edmonton needs a top 4D and Peter Chiarelli is aggressive, hopefully we’ll have a fourth for Sekera—Fayne—Klefbom before I start buying Halloween candy.

CERTAIN OILERS (19)

SEPT 17 CERTAIN OILERSSome tweaking in the last few days and there may be more (comments on the blue by Todd McLellan tell me there’s uncertainty as camp begins—that’s a very good thing).

Positive, positive. The Edmonton Oilers have three defensemen who could be described (using the loosest possible definition) as top 4D—Andrej Sekera, Mark Fayne and Oscar Klefbom. I suspect Peter Chiarelli has decided to hold Scott Howson accountable for Nikita Nikitin and that may mean both Howson and the Russian defender thrive this season—or not. Either way, when I look at the list above Nikitin is the name I come up with for the fourth defender and I do know your mileage varies in many cases.

These are golden notes for Oilers fans—the steel guitar in Layla, let’s say—because they speak to using the pieces available to maximum return. The angels rejoice! And the Corsi’s do, too.

PUSHING FOR JOBS

PUSHING FOR JOBSLots of talent here but I think we’re seeing some cases (Nurse) where the organization may slow play the progress and force the prospect to push hard during TC and the regular season. Leon Draisaitl appears to be the exception—and in truth he’s a unique player on a team badly in need of big men who can protect the puck and win battles—and I’ve included Bogdan Yakimov on this list because size appears to be a larger item every time management speaks. There are only four jobs available unless Chiarelli does a five-for-one.

THE DISTANT BELLS (26)

sept 17 distant bellsThere’s some talent here. I think Brossoit, Musil and Oesterle may see some NHL time this season. It’s also going to be fascinating to see who gets the at-bats in Bakersfield this season. The wingers at the AHL level received a major boost from the Bob Green procurement department over the offseason and it bodes well for the organization overall.

68 Responses to "MAKE IT FIVE!"

1. Магия 10 says:

He sure has telegraphed 4-97 and 29-51 as pairs.

29-51 look like a very tight pair sharing faceoffs and roles.

2. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Chris Kuc
    ‏@ChrisKuc

Source: #Blackhawks closing in on a long-term contract extension with defenseman Brent Seabrook.

3. fifthcartel says:

JD¡™ David O’Connor’s Reel:

Chris Kuc
    ‏@ChrisKuc

This is probably good for the Oilers. I don’t think he’s as good as they think is, and I’m not sure he’ll age very well.

4. flyfish1168 says:

Магия 10:
    He sure has telegraphed 4-97 and 29-51 as pairs.

29-51 look like a very tight pair sharing faceoffs and roles.

You can book 93-14

5. RexLibris says:

Encouraging listening to McLellan speak and contrasting that with the recent play of Draisaitl, Slepyshev and others.

Green’s done a nice job. 2013 looks like a good draft year. And the Oilers have some size and depth down the middle and need only find bodies for the “guest” part of the invitation on lines 1 through 3.

6. RexLibris says:

93-14
    4-97
    29-51

That’s some pretty nice depth. And by pretty I mean “Audrey Hepburn in a white summer dress on a warm, clear evening in late July” pretty.

It shelters the best prospect since Crosby and gives him a lethal winger, and puts Lander and Draisaitl in a position where the fate of the team doesn’t rest on their shoulders.

You’d almost think this was the way rosters ought to be built.

7. Younger Oil says:

It will be interesting to see which of Pouliot, Purcell, Yakupov, and Korpikoski will fall out of the Top 9 if Drai forces his way in. I guess there is bound to be an injury to someone and the odd one out can jump right back in.

Seems so odd to have depth for once.

8. Ryan says:

Younger Oil:

Seems so odd to have depth for once.

It won’t be Benoit.

9. Hammers says:

Said it yesterday and now have a feeling my two players with that third is what’s going to happen. Lander , Yak and Leon seems to be getting discussed along with our old 1st line and personally it would be McD , Pouliot , Purcell. Guess that leaves Letestu , Hendricks Korpokoski . I would still try to fit in Sleppy and Gazdic.

10. Ryan says:

RexLibris:
    93-14
    4-97
    29-51

You’d almost think this was the way rosters ought to be built.

Last year under Eakins with no 2c, the oilers had one line that could reliable produce offense.

If Draisatl can make the big club and add some significant offense to the third line, music.

With McDavid and Hall producing with speed on the rush, we may well see the fabled three scoring lines.

Hall and McDavid should be a joy to watch.

Still have to get the puck up to the forwards and stop the madness in the endzone. That will be McLellan’s genius, I think.

12. Real_Hockey_Fan says:

Oh boy Todd McLellan mentioned Brad stinkin Hunt by name today!! Goodness gracious hope its not dejaview all over again boys!!!

13. G Money says:

“There will be some movement on the backend.”

Wait a second – this team’s D the last five years has given me enough sphincter-puckering to last a lifetime.

A little less movement in the backend is the ticket.

14. G Money says:

I can’t let CommonFan’s gem from the last thread go unquoted:

commonfan14: Just realized today that there’s virtually no chance he won’t be called Seksy.

Given the last time the Oilers hired a big dollar star free agent D, they called him Big Sexy … it makes 100% perfect sense that Andrej should be called Little Seksy.

15. LadiesloveSmid says:

Whenever I watch a Schultz interview I feel bad for the resentment I hold for the player, and not for the coach that deployed him how he did or the GM who had him as the only big minutes D.

If Schultz pieces it together this year, it’d be huge.

Real_Hockey_Fan:

I remember a few upset folks when I included Hunt in the RE and he’s currently in the ‘pushing for a job’ pile. McLellan gets great PP results, I can’t imagine he passes over at least looking at Hunt. We have to, as fans, assume some of the lessons we’ve learned in viewing to be learned first in real time under McLellan. Hunt is a possible example, although I can’t see him getting an NHL job.

17. flyfish1168 says:

I would like to see Yak on the 2nd line with Hall & Mcdavid for home games and away games when we are behind. Teddy just don’t have the quickness to get in for the forecheck.

18. Centre of attention says:

Schultz, Teddy Purcell[1/2 salary retained], Nikiti Nikitin[1/2 salary retained] and 2 2nd round picks to Carolina for Justin Faulk and 2 Third round picks coming back.

Sekera-Fayne
    Klefbom-Faulk
    Rienhart-Gryba
    Ference
    Davidson

A man can dream.

19. wheatnoil says:

RexLibris: Green’s done a nice job. 2013 looks like a good draft year.

Agreed. The Green additions and the 2013 draft look good.

That 2013 draft may end up being quite important. They’ll be hitting the 5-year mark just as McDavid enters his 2nd contract. The Oilers may need value contracts at that time and those players will be just entering their early prime as they finish up their ELCs and waiver exempt statuses.

20. Mr DeBakey says:

Younger Oil: Korpikoski will fall out of the Top 9

He ain’t innit.
    Depth pure depth
    Speed and size, JF Jacques with a Finnish background, if you will.

21. jp says:

Real_Hockey_Fan:

One thing for sure – camp will be fun!

22. jp says:

Mr DeBakey: He ain’t innit.
    Depth pure depth
    Speed and size, JF Jacques with a Finnish background, if you will.

That’s absolutely not fair to Korpikoski. He has seasons of 37 and 40 Pts in the NHL. Not the same as Jacques.

23. Hammers says:

When they say Leon and Lander and both taking face offs do they also mean they both will see centre and wing not that I would be against something like that . Again 3 pairs or does it also reflect to the 4 th line. Anybody aware if this coaching group change the last winger amongst six guys. Just wondering if there is history as to how these coaches do it .

24. Магия 10 says:

flyfish1168: You can book 93-14

67 will would be with 93-14 a lot if the other pairs are lw-c. So it would share out as

67 93 14
    4 97 x
    29 51 x

In some situations 4 moves up or 14 down.
    Lots of flexibility

25. Магия 10 says:

Hammers: When they say Leon and Lander and both taking face offs do they also mean they both will see centre and wing

Yes he talked about that

26. stush18 says:

Am I making a mistake, or is Stephen Weiss still availible?

Would anyone take a chance on him? Not necessarily with the Oilers even? I know we don’t have much room, but those million dollar can tracts never look bad.

Even a pto, he’s not dead or anything.

I would imagine he would be just as capable as Purcell.

What about new jersey, who only has 42 contracts right now?

27. RexLibris says:

Last year Hunt was on the top four opening night D.

This year McLellan says his name as a bubble guy in the same breath as Davidson.

Worlds apart, given the small talent pool he’s working with.

28. RexLibris says:

stush18: Even a pto, he’s not dead or anything.

While we as Oilers fans have learned to set the bar pretty low on free-agents over the years, I think this might be pushing it a bit too far.

Then again, there’s always Arizona…

29. Jaxon says:

I still think Eberle is the only RW who should play with McDavid. Purcell is too slow and Yak is still too chaotic and defensively suspect. By process of elimination, that leaves Eberle.

30. LadiesloveSmid says:

RexLibris,

last year Petry was on the bottom pairing opening night, thus Hunt>Petry. Hunt 7 years 5.75M

31. LadiesloveSmid says:

Jaxon,

All Purcell needs to do is keep his stick on the ice and help outlet it out of the zone to Hall-McDavid, and he will be just fine.

32. Jaxon says:

On the left side, McDavid should get either Hall or Pouliot. I think Hall and McDavid will be a super dynamic pair in the future, but I think McDavid, and the team, would be better served having Pouliot as his LW. He’s bigger, hits more, is a more responsible player. Yet he still has enough skill to compliment a line with McDavid and Eberle. If Eberle is the only choice for RW (by process of elimination – see previous comment), then you also have to balance out the offence and put Hall on the other line so McDavid doesn’t constantly face the toughest opposition.

33. Pouzar says:

Jaxon:

If Eberle and Nuge are a pair I am keeping Pouliot on that line. Pouliot was a 45.5% Corsi away from Ebs and 53.9% with him. And they collectively killed it as a line anyway. No reason to break this up imo.

34. Jaxon says:

LadiesloveSmid,

I don’t think not keeping up is a small item. Saddling a rookie (even as good as McDavid) with a linemate who can’t keep up to support you when you enter the zone isn’t going to help you win games, or learn to play in the NHL, or help your development, or learn to play as a unit, or stick up for you in the corners, or help boost your confidence, etc, etc.

35. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Behind the B third season, episode one – The hiring of Sweeney and trade of Hamilton spits.

36. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Jaxon:
    LadiesloveSmid,

Everyone makes it seem like Purcell will be 20 seconds behind McDavid.

37. Jaxon says:

Pouzar,

Exactly, that is why you run:

Pouliot – McDavid – Eberle

Set McDavid up for success on both sides of the puck against second toughest competition.

Hall – Nugent-Hopkins – Yakupov

And give Yak a chance with some real skill and Nuge and Hall to draw top competition away from McDavid. That top 6 could stay together all season. Or, you could revisit it after the trade deadline or next year after McDavid has some games under his belt. I think next year, you could swap McDavid and Nuge if you think McDavid can then handle the chaos of Hall and Yakupov, just don’t do it right out of the gates to the poor kid.

I know we all think we know what McLellan’s pairs will be when he says he likes to work with pairs, but we don’t yet know how that will shake out.

38. Jaxon says:

Pouzar,

Damn it! Don’t pull a Willis article on me. I don’t even want to read it because I almost always end up agreeing with Willis. Haha.

Even if that is the case, then I think I’d rather have Eberle with McDavid and Purcell with Nuge. Nuge plays a style where he often slows things down anyhow.

39. Pouzar says:

Jaxon,

The answer is to clone Eberle.
    Nuge is 44.6% away from Ebs.

Keep Line 1 together.

40. Pouzar says:

Jaxon:
    Pouzar,

Ha ha…I knew that Purcell played well with Stamkos and that he really plays well with skill overall.
    Then I remembered this article.

41. Jaxon says:

Pouzar,

Perfect! We need to Orphan Black Ebs!

Grabner could have been an interesting grab for 4 barely fringe prospects. He’s got speed like crazy and had a scoring touch in the right situation a couple years ago.

42. vishcosity says:

Let’s make it five! That Audtin Matthewa is supposed to be tremendous.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

43. Jaxon says:

Pouzar,

How are Nuge and Hall Corsi together and apart?

44. Pouzar says:

Jaxon:
    Pouzar,

How are Nuge and Hall Corsi together and apart?

Last year

Nuge with Hall 50.6
    Nuge without Hall 49.6

45. Really? says:

All the prognosticating about potential line combinations are great. The key to it all, however, will be Leon Draisaitl. He is a young player but he is that good. In watching him I am incredibly impressed with his defensive game and his offensive talent is sublime.

I sincerely hope that the Toddle continues to include him in his 2015-16 plans.

46. wheatnoil says:

jp: Remember McLelan’s quote was potentially “eight OR NINE” D on the roster. This could get weird. Maybe they’ll run LT’s 11 certain Oiler forwards plus a PP specialist D…

One thing for sure – camp will be fun!

Maybe they’ll keep an extra D and push Schultz up to wing if necessary!

47. frjohnk says:

vishcosity:
    Let’s make it five! That Audtin Matthewa is supposed to be tremendous.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

When I saw the title “Let’s make it five” and saw the picture of McDavid and knowing we have had 4 first overalls I thought LT was writing something along the lines of winning next years lottery. I quickly found out that was not the case.

But that lottery post might be best served as “The drive for five”.

Pretty sure that has never been used before.

48. Snowman says:

It’s kinda weird.. watching Taylor Hall get interviewed today. He doesn’t seem like a kid any more. He looks older. He sounds older.

It was a pretty telling comment I think when he said something along the lines of “Everything feels new, I’ve done this testing 6 years in a row, I’ve been here five years but everything feels new again. Its good for me and its good for our team.”

You think 5 years of losing hasn’t weighed him down. He’s going to have a great year. I’m looking forward to watching it.

49. dangilitis says:

Where are all the 5 for 1 suggestions?

I propose: steady as she goes Niki Nik, perennial Norris candidate Justin Schultz, former #31 David Musil, add in a little Andrew Miller(Light) Time, and then a final dash of Gregorius Chase Maximus.

And all we want in return is a little Jake Muzzin.

I know, I would get us all fired…

50. Hockey Buddha says:

I just wanted to say thank you for consistently writing the highest quality articles on the Edmonton Oilers anywhere. I check your site out daily as well and look for your articles at the Nation. Your posts are frequent and informative. You’ve also maintained a positive outlook even during our dark years here in Edmonton as a fan of the team, finding the good in the product that existed, which has been much appreciated by this fan of the team. I think the team is finally poised for a return to past glory. The turn around may not happen this year, but it is, certainly, on the horizon .

51. original six machine says:

Agreed!two roster players and three prospects let’s go get a d man!

52. dangilitis says:

Hockey Buddha:

I just wanted to say thank you for consistently writing the highest quality articles on the Edmonton Oilers anywhere.I check your site out daily as well and look for your articles at the Nation.Your posts are frequent and informative.You’ve also maintained a positive outlook even during our dark years here in Edmonton as a fan of the team, finding the good in the product that existed, which has been much appreciated by this fan of the team.I think the team is finally poised for a return to past glory.The turn around may not happen this year, but it is, certainly, on the horizon .

Well put.

53. oilswell says:

Jaxon: I don’t think not keeping up is a small item. Saddling a rookie (even as good as McDavid) with a linemate who can’t keep up to support you when you enter the zone isn’t going to help you win games

On a different page, Draisaitl seems willing to wait for three shifts until the other players move up the ice. Purcell with Draisaitl?

54. oilswell says:

Ca$h-McMoney!: He’s still an NHL hockey player, I think we can scale back the hyperbole. He will be a little behind, but someone will need to hang back anyway. Hall can keep up and that’s what counts.

If I heard it correctly, McLellan in his interview suggest that in his system it didn’t matter if it was a C or a wing that held back. If true, then who is to say that Purcell isn’t a great match for speedsters Hall and McDavid, who may want to skate past the opposing goal line half the time?

55. jp says:

Pouzar:
    Jaxon,

The answer is to clone Eberle.
    Nuge is 44.6% away from Ebs.

Keep Line 1 together.

Nuge All Situations 50.0% CF 61.7% OZstarts
    Nuge with Eberle 51.5% CF 65.8% OZstarts (78% of his minutes)
    Nuge w/out Eberle 44.6% CF 46.6% OZstarts

A few thoughts:
    1) Do we still think Eberle is the driving force behind Nuge’s WOWY?
    2) Are our expectations for Nuge, Ebs, et al. inflated considering that Gordon is gone and McLellan is expected to run everyone with even ZS?
    3) Should we be a little more kind to Jultz and his 50.1% CF with 62.9% OZstarts? Or a little more harsh towards Nuge and Ebs? Or both?

56. Zelepukin says:

oilswell: If I heard it correctly, McLellan in his interview suggest that in his system it didn’t matter if it was a C or a wing that held back.If true, then who is to say that Purcell isn’t a great match for speedsters Hall and McDavid, who may want to skate past the opposing goal line half the time?

The biggest concern for the winger that gets slotted with Hallsy and MCD isn’t their ability to keep up on the break-out. Anyone can be the high-guy, that’s easy. It’s the footspeed downlow, playing the cycle and getting open.

My gut feeling is that Yaks could actually be the perfect guy. He has that kamikaze forecheck, one-touch passes at the speed of light (which is a total waste on plug 3rd-liners) and you know someone like McD is gonna find him for those backdoor snipes.

Defensively not the greatest 3 guys to have together, but lets be honest. If that line has the puck, its not going to be in the defensive zone for very long.

57. G Money says:

jp: I’m not so sure that is the answer (though I’m all for cloning Eberle if someone can do it successfully).
    Nuge All Situations 50.0% CF 61.7% OZstarts
    Nuge with Eberle 51.5% CF 65.8% OZstarts (78% of his minutes)
    Nuge w/out Eberle 44.6% CF 46.6% OZstarts
    A few thoughts:
    1) Do we still think Eberle is the driving force behind Nuge’s WOWY?

I’ve had this same argument with WG re: Schultz.

When looking at WOWYs, you have to look at them symmetrically.

If you look at Player A+B who have a high Corsi, then look at Player B without player A who has a low Corsi, you think ‘hey, maybe A is the power after all’.

The question is: how does A do without B?

In this case, what you have is this:

Nuge+Ebs: 51.5 CF 65.8 ZS

Nuge w/o Ebs: 44.6 CF 41.1 ZS … even after adjusting for ZS, that doesn’t look good for Nuge!

Except:

Ebs w/o Nuge: 47.3 CF 52.2 ZS.

Or to put it another way: when together, Nuge/Ebs are magic (though gifted ZS like crazy). When apart, they struggle a bit (though their zone starts are also harsher).

Same effect with Schultz by the way. One of the things used to slag him is that his CF numbers with Nuge are terrific, but terrible when apart – which is used as an excuse to say that Schultz is carried b Nuge. The problem is that Nuge’s numbers apart from Schultz are also terrible. Same effect in other words – there is a chemistry there, and so despite his massive defensive warts, just getting rid of Schultz may have some unexpected (bad) effects on the offense.

58. Marc says:

Whilst the Oilers could certainly use another top 4 D this season – which team couldn’t – it is almost impossible to justify trading for one.

Top 4 D don’t come cheaply. Edmonton would have to give up significant assets to get one – say the 2016 first plus Yakimov, or Slepyshev, Laleggia and the 2016 second. Fantasy trades where we give up flotsam and jetsam like Nikitin or Purcell and get back an in his prime top 4 D just don’t happen in real life.

And the Oilers already have four players – Sekera, Klefbom, Nurse and Reinhart – that project to be top 4 D within the next year or two. Five if Schultz manages to turn things around. Two of those guys are already making serious money. Klef will soon be joining them. And Reinhart and Nurse will need long term contracts in 2-3 years too. If the top 4 D you trade for has more than two or three years on his contract, then he’ll compromise the team’s ability to do so (or to sign Drai and McDavid).

Trading for a top 4 D would effectively mean giving up some combination of first and second round picks, Yakimov, Slepyshev and Laleggia, for a guy that will be with the team for no more than three years, to solve a problem that will almost certainly solve itself in a year or two when Nurse and Reinhart hit their stride.

I just don’t see how that makes any sense at all.

G Money: I’ve had this same argument with WG re: Schultz.

When looking at WOWYs, you have to look at them symmetrically.

The question is: how does A do without B?

In this case, what you have is this:

Nuge+Ebs: 51.5 CF 65.8 ZS

Except:

Ebs w/o Nuge: 47.3 CF 52.2 ZS.

Or to put it another way: when together, Nuge/Ebs are magic (though gifted ZS like crazy).When apart, they struggle a bit (though their zone starts are also harsher).

Same effect with Schultz by the way.One of the things used to slag him is that his CF numbers with Nuge are terrific, but terrible when apart – which is used as an excuse to say that Schultz is carried b Nuge.The problem is that Nuge’s numbers apart from Schultz are also terrible.Same effect in other words – there is a chemistry there, and so despite his massive defensive warts, just getting rid of Schultz may have some unexpected (bad) effects on the offense.

60. russ99 says:

Top-4 D’s are hard to pry away this time of year, unless it’s contract-related.

In keeping with that, sounds like Seabrook is getting an extension from the Hawks any day.

As for McLellan’s pairs, I’m going with:

X – RNH – Eberle
    Hall – McDavid – X
    Korpikoski – Letestu – X
    Draisaitl – Lander – X

That leaves Pouliot, Yakupov, Purcell and Hendricks. respectively.

61. Pouzar says:

WOWY….Last 3 years.

Nuge/Ebs Together: 49.9%
    Ebs apart: 46.6%
    Nuge apart 42.2%

Hall/Ebs Together: 50.2%
    Ebs apart: 47.6%
    Hall apart: 44.8%

62. Магия 10 says:

russ99:
    Top-4 D’s are hard to pry away this time of year, unless it’s contract-related.

As for McLellan’s pairs, I’m going with:

X – RNH – Eberle
    Hall – McDavid – XKorpikoski – Letestu – X
    Draisaitl – Lander – X

That leaves Pouliot, Yakupov, Purcell and Hendricks. respectively.

Can save you an X. The only 1LW left is Pou.

63. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

vishcosity: Let’s make it five!

Slepy was first overall in the KHL junior draft.

64. flyfish1168 says:

Lowetide: The other issue—and it’s a bugger—is injury. I’ve discounted a lot of Eberle’s first half because of his inability to life the puck. It was a thing and skewed life.

I love both players but how about Yak. After the season we hear he was playing with a hip injury that kept him from the worlds. Yet he played awesome the last half under Nelson. Why no mention of this???

65. Jordan says:

russ99:
    Top-4 D’s are hard to pry away this time of year, unless it’s contract-related.

As for McLellan’s pairs, I’m going with:

X – RNH – Eberle
    Hall – McDavid – X
    Korpikoski – Letestu – X
    Draisaitl – Lander – X

That leaves Pouliot, Yakupov, Purcell and Hendricks. respectively.

Pouliot – RNH – Eberle
    Hall – McDavid – Hendricks/Yakupov
    Korpikoski – Letestu – Purcell/Hendricks
    Draisaitl – Lander – Yakupov/Purcell

If on the road, put Henny with the dream team for some old man strength and gritesnsity. If you can shelter at home, Yak it up with the scorers.

If you’re on the road, put yak with Lander and Dr Drai to try and get a mismatch. If yak’s up with the god-touched, let Purcell play those minutes.

Have Purcell/Hendriks rotate on the checking line as needed.

Coaching is easy.

66. Prince Rupert's Oildrop says:

“There will be some movement on the backend.”

That’ll be a nice change! You know…. from pylons.

67. Spoils says:

I just feel like OEL could be pulled out of Arizona for long term value (example – yak, first round pick in 16 and 17, slepyshev, nikitin (we keep money)… because they need to think long term

or maybe Seth Jones could be plucked from Nashville for skills now (to put their chips on Weber)- some package that includes a workable Dman and a current star like Hall or Eberle…

this is just spit-balling, but the idea is:

WE NEED D.

and we can wrestle it out of a team for value. there is a price. and it will likely be worth it.

#1D is that important.

“Five to one, baby
    One in five
    No one here gets out alive, now
    You get yours, baby