OILERS SIGN KLEFBOM FOR SEVEN

The Edmonton Oilers have signed Oscar Klefbom to a seven-year deal at what is being reported at $4.167 million per season—the Jonas Brodin deal looks like it might have been the model. Brodin’s six-year, $4.1 million dollar contract was signed in October of 2014—at a point when the young Minnesota defenseman had played 126 games at the time of the deal, Klefbom has just 77 under his belt as he cashes.

The lack of NHL experience is a concern but the price point and number of free-agent seasons purchased gives this a little extra appeal. Klefbom led the Oilers in EV time-on-ice, 19:47, as a rookie, also had 1:44 SH and 27 seconds on the power play. He played nine games in OKC in 2014-15, we’ll call sending him out stupid is as stupid does.

Klefbom’s role last season was to play with chaos blue Justin Schultz—while getting a zone start push—and those two things turned Schultz into a positive in possession. In Justin Schultz’ three NHL seasons, his primary partner had a Corsi 5×5 For % of 45.4 (Nick Schultz, 12-13), 42.1 (Andrew Ference 13-14) and 51.4% (Oscar Klefbom, 14-15) when on the ice with him. I think Klefbom might want to buy Tyler Dellow a beer today, but that’s a guess and maybe Dallas Eakins figured it out without Dellow.

The money is dear—I’m not sure how much offensive value he brings—but the FA seasons purchased make this a deal I think we can be reasonably satisfied with in terms of cap weight. The Oilogosphere often differs in opinions on these things, I think the main worries are injury (Oscar had some concussion issues in the past) and range of skills (he may not hit 30 points in an NHL season). A bridge deal for two years may have made the next deal far more expensive—and as Jeff Petry’s experience shows perhaps locking these young men up miles from freedom is the right play for a struggling Oilers organization.

55 Responses to "OILERS SIGN KLEFBOM FOR SEVEN"

He’s dreamy.

2. v4ance says:

Really pleased with this deal. Klefbom should be a lock for as a Top 4 D for the entirety of this contract. We are paying for his peak years so if he improves even more, this will be a great discount.

3. anonymous says:

If Nurse and Reinhart pan out as hoped and sign deals like this the Mcdavid window may get bigger.

4. Centre of attention says:

This deal is nothing but good news. Hes a young D who is trending in the right direction. It’s fair to say this will be a value contract in no more then 2 years. His point production will depend on his PP usage, but I just don’t think thats his strength.

At the same time, there is nothing wrong with a 6′ 3” 215 lb minute-munching shut-down defender. Also, its not like Oscar is a black hole offensively, he CAN move the puck and I think its fair to project him around .3 ppg while also providing sound defensive play. More please.

5. HeatTreaterJoe says:

Great signing from what I can see. $4.1M will bring him up to par in terms of the salaries that Fayne, Schultz, Nikitin and Ference (lordy, those last 3 cap hits) and while not a sure thing, it’s a pretty safe bet that Oscar outperforms all of them. So the Defence cap structure is now…

Potential 1st Pairing:
    Sekera – $6.5M
    Fayne – $4M

Potential 2nd Pairing:
    Klefbom – $0.925M
    Schultz – $3.9M

Potential 3rd Pairing:
    Nikitin – $4.5M
    Ference – $3.75M

Extras:
    Gryba – $1.3M
    Reinhart – $0.925

For my money, Gryba and Reinhart would make a better 3rd pairing today, and cost ~ $6M less this year.
    *EDIT* I will NEVER forgive MacT for not re-signing Petry!!

6. commonfan14 says:

I see little chance that a 2020 version of this blog would be anything other than thrilled if the team signed a 27 year old Oscar Klefbom to a 3-year UFA deal at $4.167 per.

It’s a good day.

7. Genjutsu says:

HeatTreaterJoe:
    Great signing from what I can see.$4.1M will bring him up to par in terms of the salaries that Fayne, Schultz, Nikitin and Ference (lordy, those last 3 cap hits) and while not a sure thing, it’s a pretty safe bet that Oscar outperforms all of them.So the Defence cap structure is now…

Potential 1st Pairing:
    Sekera – $6.5M
    Fayne – $4M

Potential 2nd Pairing:
    Klefbom – $0.925M
    Schultz – $3.9M

Potential 3rd Pairing:
    Nikitin – $4.5M
    Ference – $3.75M

Extras:
    Gryba – $1.3M
    Reinhart – $0.925

*EDIT*I will NEVER forgive MacT for not re-signing Petry!!

I like this with Davidson in and Reinhardt with Nurse in the AHL to start. Let them dominate there and hopefully by then you have someone with a devastating injury on D that will take Nikitin.

8. Henry says:

My wife certainly is happy with this news. I think she likes Oscar a bit too much.

9. J-Bo says:

I think it is possible that Klefbom surprises us greatly this year in the offensive department. If he continues in a similar deployment as last year, I think his even strength offense may look very nice by the end of the season. I think by years end this deal will look like a steal in comparison to what they would have had to sign him for next July.

10. kinger_OIL says:

– I just wish we have one more g$ddamn top 4 D: this year. Klef at less than 80 games is a good “bet”, That MacT should take a note of how he was handled (I’m talking about Petry) but we are still projecting on Klef and LT notes his previous injuries

– We’d feel so much better if there was another D who played 250-400 games on our D roster. Like if Nikitin was really a top 4 D type thing.

– Still too much hope and projection and everything has to be perfect for the D to work this year, and that’s scary.

11. leadfarmer says:

I don’t like Klefbom as much as most on here but the deal is fair to good. So if you don’t like the deal I don’t know what to tell you. The difference between him and Brodin is Brodin gets to play with sutter.

12. leadfarmer says:

Sorry to bring up last thread. My biggest issue with that trade was that both Boston and I showed up to the draft drunk. I know why Chia made the trade but I do think that Barzal or Zboril have enough value to make that trade without throwing in a second. I guess we’ve wasted enough second rounders that I can live with one more. Hopefully Griff takes a big step forward this year and Nurse gets heavy minutes in the Ahl this year. Now back to your the relevant comments.

leadfarmer:
    Sorry to bring up last thread.My biggest issue with that trade was that both Boston and I showed up to the draft drunk.I know why Chia made the trade but I do think that Barzal or Zboril have enough value to make that trade without throwing in a second.I guess we’ve wasted enough second rounders that I can live with one more.Hopefully Griff takes a big step forward this year and Nurse gets heavy minutes in the Ahl this year.Now back to your the relevant comments.

Kind of where I’m at, too. I do like Griffin Reinhart though, and am glad he’s an Oiler.

14. jp says:

commonfan14:

It’s a good day.

Well said.

Klefbom is a top 4 D right now (at least on the Oilers), with lots of room to grow more. Last years version was worth $4M per, so any additional growth, offensively or defensively, is gravy.

Now if Reinhart and Nurse would just hurry up and be finished products we’d have a damn fine looking D corps.

15. Surly says:

Surprised Chiarelli made this long term commitment without having much time working with him directly. Chiarelli either has incredible trust in the new people he is working with, or Klefbom was already highly regarded amongst other league head offices that he was comfortable with the deal. Hopefully the latter.

16. Lewis Grant says:

Can someone PLEASE explain to me how Oscar Klefbom in September 2015 is not like Martin Marincin in September 2014? Pretty please?

IIRC, we had Marincin pencilled in for the Top 4 after about one season’s worth of evidence. That didn’t work out so well.

Or consider another long-term contract, not identical but with some comparables. Shawn Horcoff had come off of two point-per-game seasons (the latter with Hemsky injured), appeared to have turned a corner in goal-scoring (albeit with a high Sh%), had become the team’s de facto captain, and had a Martin-St.-Louis-level of fitness.

I suspect the rest of the league is responding to this deal with a large WTF. I hope we are right and they are wrong. But history makes me uncomfortable.

17. russ99 says:

Nice signing, glad we locked him up.

With Nikitin, Purcell and hopefully Ference coming off the books next year, we have some flexibility to lock up a young player at a good rate.

Hope Klef progresses over the next year so the cap number looks low and not high.

Surly:
    Surprised Chiarelli made this long term commitment without having much time working with him directly.Chiarelli either has incredible trust in the new people he is working with, or Klefbom was already highly regarded amongst other league head offices that he was comfortable with the deal.Hopefully the latter.

McLellan would have had input too and of course the analytics people would have brought an interesting take. Klefbom stands as one of the few Oilers drafts who is mobile, can pass AND plays a rugged game. That’s why they signed him. He checks everything off their list and they need complete players.

Lewis Grant:
    Can someone PLEASE explain to me how Oscar Klefbom in September 2015 is not like Martin Marincin in September 2014?Pretty please?

IIRC, we had Marincin pencilled in for the Top 4 after about one season’s worth of evidence.That didn’t work out so well.

Or consider another long-term contract, not identical but with some comparables.Shawn Horcoff had come off of two point-per-game seasons (the latter with Hemsky injured), appeared to have turned a corner in goal-scoring (albeit with a high Sh%), had become the team’s de facto captain, and had a Martin-St.-Louis-level of fitness.

I suspect the rest of the league is responding to this deal with a large WTF.I hope we are right and they are wrong.But history makes me uncomfortable.

They didn’t like Marincin’s grit.

20. blainer says:

This is a big risk reward contract. I would have preferred a bridge deal but can see why they did this. They don’t want a possible offer sheet thrown at them next summer.

21. jm363561 says:

blainer:

I agree. Could be a great deal but it is very risky. Much as I like KBom he has not yet done enough to justify this deal. (Marincin? Would you rely on him when the going gets tough?).

22. russ99 says:

Lowetide: They didn’t like Marincin’s grit.

russ99: Marincin hasn’t filled out yet, big but not strong or physical and his defensive game has weaknesses for a guy that size, I think he’ll figure it out eventually and be a good top 4 for somebody, hopefully not Toronto.

Me too. I am very unhappy they traded him.

24. fifthcartel says:

I find the amount of shots he took this year (98 in 60) pretty interesting.

Maybe it was playing with Schultz or the offensive zone starts, but if you pro-rate for 82 games the amount of shots (~133) would leave him ~35th in the NHL for shots by defensemen, which has some pretty good defensemen there (Shattenkirk, Brodie, Trouba). He didn’t play much on the powerplay either.

It kinda gives me hope there’s more offense to his game than we thought, but who knows, maybe I’m just grasping at straws here.

fifthcartel:
    I find the amount of shots he took this year (98 in 60) pretty interesting.

No, it’s a good point. One of the reasons they may not have signed him is that we don’t know about the offensive potential (blasted KHL counters!) but there’s another side to that coin and maybe he’s a good offensive producer that hasn’t shown it yet.

26. boxman says:

This is a good deal for both sides and I think as fans we are going to grow to love it big time. Oscar is a big part of the Oilers future and seven years says it’s so…… WOOOOOOOOOOOOT !!

27. oilinthepeg says:

Nice deal! Oilers getting wise to the fact that players like these are a little hard to come by and when you have one you like, you should lock them up ASAP. Return for Martin the Martian was too little, obviously, but he seemed to have far more warts in his game than Oscar… A long-term lock that won’t cripple us. Like it.

28. frjohnk says:

Klefbom is definitely a part of the core and I think they want to lock up the core for as long as possible.

Could be an overpay in the first couple of years if his offense comes up short but over the long run he should easily cover the bet, a great deal for the team.

And I also wonder if the Oilers are going to try and stagger their core so that no of their contracts expire in the same year.

Eberle becomes UFA in 2019
    Hall in 2020
    RNH in 2021
    Klefbom in 2023

Rest of the core
    McDavid 2026?
    Nurse ?
    Reinhart?
    Draisaitl?

Probably wishful thinking that all will sign long term 2nd contracts and actually not be traded during that time period.

This signing is a win win for both player and team.

29. Ryan says:

Yesterday Bruce was promulgating TMac’s proclivity for dropping f-bombs. Today, news breaks that we’ve extended Klefbomb…

I don’t understand the consternation Allan?

Weren’t we hoping for a number in the low 4’s x 7 years?

30. Gordies Elbow says:

HeatTreaterJoe:

Potential 1st Pairing:
    Sekera – $6.5M
    Fayne – $4M

Potential 2nd Pairing:
    Klefbom – $0.925M
    Schultz – $3.9M

Potential 3rd Pairing:
    Nikitin – $4.5M
    Ference – $3.75M

Extras:
    Gryba – $1.3M
    Reinhart – $0.925

Where did you get these numbers?

GeneralFanager has Sekera at $5.5m, Fayne’s at $3.625m, Ference at $3.25m, Gryba at $1.25m, Klefbom at $0.894m, Reinhart at $0.863m.

31. vishcosity says:

It’s kinda weird that no one is bringing up Kyle Wellwood’s defensive equivalent. It all seems a tad honest here now.

Also, is this the best free concert line up ever?

Ryan:
    Yesterday Bruce was promulgating TMac’s proclivity for dropping f-bombs.Today, news breaks that we’ve extended Klefbomb…

I don’t understand the consternation Allan?

Weren’t we hoping for a number in the low 4’s x 7 years?

I’m not sure where you’re reading consternation?

33. Ryan says:

Lowetide: I’m not sure where you’re reading consternation?

You didn’t say that you were going to have a beer then another?

Ryan: You didn’t say that you were going to have a beer then another?

Ha! Well, I’m well pleased he’s an Oilers defenseman for the next several years, really like the player.

35. John Chambers says:

I think we can finally endorse the Dustin Penner trade, even if Colten Teubert is closer to the Iserlohn Roosters than he is to an NHL team.

36. OilClog says:

Eakins doesn’t have anything to do with klef other then being lucky to coach him for a few months and not break him too.

John Chambers:

That’s what I said March 2011

If you’ve read this far you are entitled to my opinion. I do not feel a complete rebuild was required and would have preferred they keep Penner or deal him for more immediate help. The Oilers under owner Daryl Katz–and make no mistake this drawn out process is his vision–have decided that Edmonton fans will not see a contending team in Rexall Place. You can make up your own mind as to the reasons, but my belief is that the owner and hockey men are convinced this is the proper journey to winning the 6th Stanley.

With that as a caveat, I’m satisfied with the return. Understanding that the organization has decided to rebuild with Taylor Hall as the “franchise” then the organization must acquire both picks and prospects in that general age group. When Hall explodes as a player, the team can cash picks and prospects in an effort to add depth to the batting order, but it isn’t going to happen this or next season.

I remain convinced the team could have added some elements in the summer and contended for a playoff spot. The management group went another way, and acquired a bet in Teubert that may or may not come through. Having said that, this is a player Stu MacGregor is familiar with and I find it hard to believe the report was negative on his draft day or on this one.

Teubert can be added to the list that includes Peckham, Petry, Chorney, Plante at the pro level and Marincin, Blain, Davidson and others in junior.

This is a build around Taylor Hall. Are you up for a rebuild?

Dustin Penner’s birth certificate disqualified him from being a part of the future. Next stop: dealing Ales Hemsky and securing a new arena. After that, a contender.

38. Ryan says:

“If you think of Connor and (Hall), that’s about as fast as you can get in the NHL.” – Eberle.

:).

39. Lewis Grant says:

Lowetide: Me too. I am very unhappy they traded him.

Me too. It just seems strange that the actual difference between Marincin and Klefbom isn’t that great, yet we traded Marincin for a 5th but committed $29M to Klefbom. Was Marincin’s unwillingness to hit the offseason gym the only thing stopping him from a $29M contract?

My worry is that the Oilers are overvaluing Klef as much as they undervalued Marincin. Brodin finished in the Top-5 Calder balloting before getting his $29M deal.

Don’t get me wrong – I like Klef, and I think he’ll ultimately get better. But if I’ve learned one thing from this blog (and I’ve learned many), it’s that defencemen do not develop in a straight line.

Of all the possible scenarios going forward, it seems like we are paying for the one in the 80th-90th percentile. I hope we’re right.

40. John Chambers says:

I just wish they received a similar return for Hemsky. And Souray.

41. Snowman says:

Am I the only one who doesn’t think Marincin and Klefbom are really comparable at all?

To me its Klefbom by miles and miles. No contest.

42. Derek says:

Ryan: You didn’t say that you were going to have a beer then another?

Agreed, I evaluate Oilers moves based on how many beer they make LT consume.

I have the same system for determining whether or not I want to watch an archived game I’ve missed, but its Hunters whiskey consumption in the game day thread that determines it.

43. Магия 10 says:

Derek: Agreed, I evaluate Oilers moves based on how many beer they make LT consume.

LT likes you is a bit like a kiss from the Godfather. You need to be music and value and definitely an occasion for another one.

44. book¡je says:

commonfan14:

It’s a good day.

Well, that’s assuming that we are not deeply embroiled in the franchise wars trying to hold off a Taco Bell advance while struggling with intermittent power supply after losing control of our fuel depots.

45. G Money says:

I like this deal.

There is risk in it of course.

That’s what you have to do when you lock up promising young players for the long term. Take risk. Its the only way you get outstanding players at reasonable contracts.

What separates losers from winners is that winners take smart risks and losers take dumb risks.

Klefbom long term = smart risk.

46. speeds says:

What’s the harm in playing the year out? Is Klefbom the kind of D that will post big points, enough to render all the other comps already out there useless?

47. G Money says:

By the way, I suspect others have seen this too, but I found it interesting. I happened to be flipping channels and came across coverage of Babcock’s training camp. (Whaaaaat?!? I know, right? Leafs coverage on TV?? Since when!?!).

The two things they were talking about: attention to detail, and the extremely high pace.

When asked about the pace, Babcock replied that this was merely training camp pace, that they had to take it slow because of all of the teaching. Once the NHL practices started, then the pace would *actually* be fast.

Which left the Leafs commentators wondering what that said about the pace of practice last year, given it felt fast to the players from last year, and it wasn’t even up to NHL speed yet.

Sounded familiar is all.

48. HeatTreaterJoe says:

Gordies Elbow,

Oh man… I feel foolish. I grabbed the numbers from google. I think I accidentally posted the money each player is getting paid next year and not the cap hit.

Sorry everyone!

49. Jigger says:

I watched Babcock run many practices at Red Deer College. I remember many of the junior A hockey minds saying “no way he could run the WHL guys at that pace”. Figured they played way too many games and would wear the guys out. It was easy when you only played on weekends. Also there was no way the pros would ever take to that either. His practice was about 45 mins and no one ever stopped skating. It was truly something to see, I guess it turned out OK for him.

Jigger:

My wife went to Red Deer College at that time, what years did you go?

HeatTreaterJoe:
    Gordies Elbow,

Oh man… I feel foolish.I grabbed the numbers from google.I think I accidentally posted the money each player is getting paid next year and not the cap hit.

Sorry everyone!

No worries. We’ll live. Damned confusing all these blasted numbers

52. Cahoon says:

Snowman,

You aren’t the only one, and I love Marincin, but I’m about as high on Klefbom as MacT is. The kid can play in any situation and succeed. He does everything that D-men are supposed to do very well. I am more happy about the term and price point on this deal than I was mad that Petry got walked.

I think Klefbom will be the best D man on our team by the end of the season, and I think Sekera is a great defenseman.

53. Bank Shot says:

v4ance:
    Really pleased with this deal.Klefbom should be a lock for as a Top 4 D for the entirety of this contract. We are paying for his peak years so if he improves even more, this will be a great discount.

Maybe. But we’ve seen a lot of guys fail to live up to expectations before.

I remember a few fans propsoing signing Gagner to an 8-10 year contract at $4 per a few years ago.

Imagine if we were stuck with that contract now.

I think this contract is a decent bet, but there is some risk involved for sure.

54. Snowman says:

Cahoon,

That’s how I feel or pretty close to (I think he might lag Sekera this year but by the end of next year I bet he’s in the conversation). Marty was a good Dman but he was going to top out at a top 4D imho, still a very good player.. Klefbom on the other hand… He does everything.

55. Jigger says:

Lowetide: My wife went to Red Deer College at that time, what years did you go?

I was actually still in high school and was the assistant trainer with the Junior A Rustlers. The Kings practiced after us every day.