THE LAST OF THE OIL KINGS

If you stare at the Oilers “A” and “B” rosters from yesterday from the correct angle, it’s easy to convince yourself we’re looking at a fantastic future—but for crying out loud don’t stare at the defense! It will only come to a bad end.

ESTIMATED DEPTH CHART BASED ON YESTERDAY

Reader beware: We are now entering the world of farce, where the writer attempts to trick you into believing we saw something concrete, something of value, based on the way defensemen lined up yesterday. Foolish attempt, even more foolish if you believe it. Still, I love my lists.

• Andrej Sekera—Mark Fayne (top pairing Team “A”)
  • Oscar Klefbom—Justin Schultz (top pairing Team “B”)
  • Andrew Ference—Nikita Nikitin (second pairing Team “A”)
  • Griffin Reinhart—Eric Gryba (second pairing Team “B”)
  • Darnell Nurse—David Musil (third pairing Team “B”)
  • Brad Hunt—Jordan Oesterle (third pairing Team “A”)

If we assume the top two pairings make it for sure, then the middle two would appear to be fighting over the final three jobs, no? The easiest demotion is Reinhart—no waiver worry—but we’re getting ahead of ourselves, all will be known in due time. I count Nurse at about No. 9, is that fair? One suspects he beats the daylights out of Hunt, Oesterle and Musil but that still only gets him to No. 9. He’ll need some luck and lots of reliable shifts, but in terms of physical ability there’s a golden opportunity here.

LITTLE ARROWS FOR A BIG MAN

I always count arrows, good or bad. Little tags of information come drifting in and our brain does collect them (the brain is amazing) but I like to write things down for posterity. Among the good arrows for Reinhart this fall:

• He’s close to NHL-ready or already there. Not much to do before graduation now.
  • There’s an enormous need for defensemen in Edmonton.
  • He can play RH side.
  • He is one of three men in the running for seven jobs who was procured by Peter Chiarelli.
  • He is in excellent shape based on anecdotal information (McCurdy).
  • His father, a former NHL player, can guide him through a lot of NHL land mines.
  • The competition, while substantial, have issues of health, effectiveness, or experience.
  • He is paired with an NHL defenseman at the start of camp.

Reinhart’s ability to help on the PK could also benefit him as the Oilers get closer to cut down day. There’s no doubt in my mind the young man played some tough minutes in Bridgeport:

• Michael Fornabaio on his role in the AHL: “He did get some second power-play time and maybe a little bit on the first unit when guys were out, but yeah he was on the top pairing and playing against the other team’s top line. Got a lot of PK time as well. He was playing against a lot of the top players.” Source
  • Corey Pronman: “He’s high-end defensively, and average offensively, which is still a pretty good player. He performed well versus men this season in the AHL and could make the Oilers very soon.”
  • Peter Chiarelli“He’s ready to play and he’s going to be a very good part of our D.”

That’s the bet. The only men standing in Griffin Reinhart’s way are Nikita Nikitin and Andrew Ference. The only man who can catch him from behind is Darnell Nurse. The only outside force that could hurt him is the bonus structure of his contract. Chances of making the team from the start of the season? 60%. Why the increase? He’s slotted alongside Gryba, it’s easy to project them into the opening night roster from where he stands today—an injury to anyone gets him on the roster and it’s unlikely he’ll make the team only to sit in the pressbox.

An assortment of thoughts expressed on this blog the night of the trade:

• Bag of Pucks: Chiarelli gets the best player in the deal, fills his biggest need with a player who fits the core age wise, and fast tracks the return on the draft picks. If you don’t like this deal, you’re too enamoured with lottery tickets.
  • Lead Farmer: Smart move by the Islanders. We were so worried about being fleeced by the Rangers we got taken by the other New York team. That is a good return for a rapidly declining asset and a reason you pick Dmen high. You think Yak has that much trade value.
  • Tarkus: So the Oilers would rather grab their token Oil King by dealing a couple early picks rather than just drafting one.
  • Traktor: Parise 2.0
  • Su_Dillon: The icing on cake would be trading Marin in for a 5th (which basically happened)
  • Bill Needle: These forwards who’ve gone in the draft since the trade would have a tough task. They’d have to break into the top 6 (eventually) that’s pretty much cemented in place with young guys with better pedigrees and more NHL experience and have long-term contracts.
    But a mid-first and a high second-rounder is a huge price for someone who isn’t guaranteed to be an NHLer.
  • Oilswell: Oilers paid full price but this deal fits the pattern I thought made sense before the draft.
  • G Money: I don’t really know much about Griffin Reinhart, other than he was terrific for the Oil Kings, and then went fourth overall to the Islanders. So I don’t know if this is a good trade or a bad trade.

Fabulous comments in this thread, worth a re-read if you have time. Edmonton got a 52% chance of a top 4D in exchange for a 24% chance of a top 6F and a 12% chance of a top 6F. They also moved up the timeline of the development curve on their end. I like Reinhart, he was a bull in the Memorial Cup. My opinion of the trade is here.

98 Responses to "THE LAST OF THE OIL KINGS"

1. Mr DeBakey says:

“We are now entering the world of farce, where the writer attempts to trick you into believing we saw something concrete, something of value, based on the way defensemen lined up yesterday”

I’ll ask the musical question
    Davidson?

Mr DeBakey:

I’ll ask the musical question
    Davidson?

I didn’t include either Davidson or Simpson because (according to the Oilers web) they were rotating in and out. If everything is a tell, that’s certainly one. We’ll see how they line up today.

3. regwald says:

I have always liked Reinhart as on Oil King. He was a huge factor for those teams. The year they lost in Portland he was injured. The next year, healthy they went back to the Memorial Cup.

4. commonfan14 says:

Based on Bruce’s observation, it sounds like someone was more than a little ticked about being traded for picks and took it out on the gym this summer.

Good arrow in my book.

5. Магия 10 says:

“One question we can’t answer today that is going to be fun to track: IS Darnell Nurse a better NHL defense prospect than Griffin Reinhart? The things that we value on this blog (okay, I value) suggest Nurse is the better prospect, but a slimmed down, skating-for-weeks and ready steady Griffin may make this contest more interesting than previously thought.”

Optimism has lots of tracks. It makes LT call a 52% chance less valuable than 24+12. It makes me assume that Nurse will be so complete eventually that he has to pass Reinhart. But they will be very different players and I suspect both end up top 3 (by toi) in a good way.

6. Snowman says:

I remember being upset at first when they traded for Reinhart. I remember sitting there watching the draft and seeing Boston make their picks and going over the players still available. Players I’d read about and penciled in and out of imaginary future line combinations. I was invested in their potential.

That’s where my angst come from. I hadn’t plugged Reinhart into any Stanley Cup winning lineups building up to the draft.

I’m excited now to have him. I’m rooting like hell for him and I get the feeling I’m not going to be disappointed.

Магия 10:

Optimism has lots of tracks. It makes LT call a 52% chance less valuable than 24+12. It makes me assume that Nurse will be so complete eventually that he has to pass Reinhart. But they will be very different players and I suspect both top 3 in a good way.

8. flyfish1168 says:

I remember Griffin playing with alot of passion during the Memorial cup run. If he brings that with him and that burning desire to win like the Oil Kings had we will have won that trade.
    That was an incredible display by the Oil Kings during that run

9. slopitch says:

I’m gonna repeat my comment from yesterday morning since it’s more relevant.

Sekera-Klef
    Fayne-Reinhart
    Schultz-Gryba

They gave up a lot for Reinhart. He has size, pedigree and is of the age where defensemen blossom. Brent Seabrook played on a pisspoor Hawks team in draft+3. Reinhart if drafted by the Oilers surely would have as well. It’s possible the Oilers traded for a 21 year old Brent Seabrook.

It’s the only way I can paint a rosey picture of the Oilers D.

I think Griffin wins the day over Ference and NN and would therefore slip in a 6 (maybe even 4). The Oilers D is still bottom 3 in the league. GR didn’t make the Islanders last year. Oilers need a big development year from him. GR has the size and intelligence to be a good NHL dman. And this team needs a few of them.

10. Real_Hockey_Fan says:

flyfish1168:
    That was an incredible display by the Oil Kings during that run

11. wheatnoil says:

When Chiarelli (in the McKenzie interview) stated that he knew Reinhart had a tough year last year but there were reasons (not excuses) that explained that, I wonder what he meant?

Getting thrown to top pairing opposition as a rookie pro? Poor team that dragged everyone down? A knock on the coaching staff with a lack of structure? Trying to do too much on a struggling team?

Or was there something else we don’t know about? Injury?

If top pairing opposition, PK time, 2nd PP, and reasonable even-strength scoring is a disappointing first pro year for Griffin, then that’s impressive in and of itself.

12. flyfish1168 says:

Real_Hockey_Fan: Passion!! Burning desire!! Grit!!! These are the things that win teams championships! Griffin leading the Oil Kings to a Memorial Cup win just proves my point!!

I’m from the Hat. We would have said he had the “Eye of the Tiger”

13. pocession charge says:

Lots of hyperbole on the draft night comment section regarding the Reinhart trade. Must have been some heavy drinking going on. After re-reading it, I really hope that Griffin Reinhart makes some people eat their words. It certainly appears that both Bob Green and Chia Pete have an eye for talent — there is a possibility that they know better than us fans.

14. Mr DeBakey says:

I was going to make a comment about that comment
    But in a more pedantic manner

Well we do have a little more than that in the way of evidence to show Reinhart was a substantial player during the 2013-14 playoffs.

What is there to say about Griffin Reinhart? Here’s a guy who played probably every even strength shift against the Petan line or the De Leo line, two monster entry and possession lines. At the beginning of the regular season, those six players carried the puck in an average of 84% of the time. And yet, playing against that top competition, he had the greatest percentage of break-ups and fewest shot attempts against per entry of all Edmonton’s defensemen, rivaled only by Irving, who played cupcake minutes. To see the true impact he had on entries, we can look at his defensive partner Ashton Sautner, no slouch himself, and see how he got burned. After seeing this, I don’t disagree with his choice as MVP of the series.

16. Real_Hockey_Fan says:

I’m glad you take me seriously because most people don’t that’s what makes you the peoples champ of the Oiloogosphere!!

17. Rondo says:

Correct me if I’m wrong but Peter Chiarelli looked shocked when this deal went down at the draft.

18. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

pocession charge: there is a possibility that they know better than us fans.

Well that’s it, LT. Turn off the lights, unplug the modem, and donate the hamster to a grade 1 class ☻

Real_Hockey_Fan:

Okay, now I KNOW you’re joking. Welcome aboard!

Rondo:
    Correct me if I’m wrong butPeter Chiarelli looked shocked when this deal went down at the draft.

He looked animated for sure, I thought the same thing at the time. However, he made the trade so it must have been for another reason.

21. pocession charge says:

Rondo:

Chiarelli had scouted Reinhart last year in Bridgeport and wanted the player. He was the guy who executed the trade. Why would he be shocked?

22. wheatnoil says:

When I assess Chiarelli’s body language, I like to point out that he’s last at, and first off, the table at draft practice. 🙂

23. SwedishPoster says:

My favourite quote from yesterday was after all the players and media had praised the high pace and intensity of the practice Todd McLellan said “I don’t think this was an NHL practice, it was an NHL training camp practice”…”the pace will go up immensely”.

B-b-b-baby you just ain’t seen nothing yet! In Todd McLellan this was a teaching practice more than a tempo one which bodes well for the future since everyone reacted on how it was already high pace. No more long on ice sessions of Eakins in front of the white board. The team will be far better prepared this season, if it wasn’t obvious before.

I might be butchering the quotation a bit but that was the gist.

24. kinger_OIL says:

LT – Nice read: I’be beern saying since after a few days after the trade, after some reflection, on this blog that he makes the team (or at least makes it before Nurse). I’ve got a bet with Snow on it.

– Its not a question of whose ceiling is higher (I suspect Nusre is higher, but what do I know), but where they are in their development, and the relationship between the players and who is in charge. Griff is Chia’s guy: that counts in any management structure. And he’s more developed.

– I lke my first comment from that night: “We traded 2 lottery tickets, that we will know if the numbers hit in 3-5 years, for one lottery ticket that we will know if it hits in the next 18 months”

– A neat feature of this blog would be to be able to sort comments, based on the poster: So we could do a search through posters comments over time.

25. Bag of Pucks says:

The one thing we kind of gloss over with Reinhart is the bloodlines. His father Paul was a fantastic defenceman. Speed, skill, size, savvy. The total package. If he played in this era, he’d be lauded as a corsi monster to be sure.

Like the Staals, Sutters, Stasnys, the hockey DNA appears strong in this Reinhart clan. One can picture constant hockey chatter around the dinner table growing up. That probably brings you a slightly more competitive and defensively aware Dman than say, Justin Schultz.

Granted, the son doesn’t always equal or eclipse the father and these are athletes not racehorses. That said, they’re a lot closer to racehorses than we’ll ever be ; )

All I know is I’m rooting for the lad. How can you not?

26. Pajamah says:

Real_Hockey_Fan,

You are the Tony Clifton of this site. Don’t ever change.

27. SwedishPoster says:

pocession charge: Chiarelli had scouted Reinhart last year in Bridgeport and wanted the player.He was the guy who executed the trade.Why would he be shocked?

He did the trade drunk and thought to himself “that happened for real?”

MacT went behind his back?

He thought he had traded for Sam/Max/Paul Reinhart?

He thought he had traded for an actual real live Griffin?

The ability to read something into someones body language is one of the most pseudo scientific skills out there?

The possibilities are endless.

28. Магия 10 says:

Lowetide: The percentages are in a typical year, I’d think it’s reasonable to bump the numbers in the 2015 draft. Fair? Anyway, we’re mowing old lawns here.

Old lawn but seeing the different tracks that optimism takes through the weeds. To exceed 52% requres optimism about this class beyond bumping them all up 2 spots for mceichel!

On to new lawn: However fast the or high they go I suspect there is place next year where they are the 2nd pair.

“Another question I have: Of the three young blue (Klefbom, Reinhart, Nurse), is there one who is more likely to be power play?”

Don’t see Reinhart getting as much PP time as Nurse. His success will be measured in ice time, comp and pk more than pp and salary. Optimistic that nurse will earn his $ in evens as well as pp.

29. Pajamah says:

kinger_OIL,

Don’t hate your lottery ticket analogy, but it’s more two lottery tickets for a guaranteed winner. Might not be 25,000 per week for life, but Reinhart will be an NHL player, the guess is top 6, or does he develop into top 3.

30. Woogie63 says:

Question if NN is sent to Bakerfield and GR makes the Oilers is there a net win on the cap.

Clearly I don’t want to explain the sunk salary to Katz…

31. jm363561 says:

We go on and on about skill, line combinations, pace, match ups, etc. There is hardly ever any discussion of heart, passion, grit, leadership, team spirit, never say die, etc. Thank goodness TMac is trying to address this. Unfortunately, these are intangibles that coaching can only do so much to change.

Lander and Hendriks are warriors; Reinhart (love this trade) and Gryba as well – I am sure this will be the third pair; I hope Sekera is, but suspect not. It’s not enough.

32. SwedishPoster says:

Магия 10,

Judging by rookie camp Nurse has long ways to go before being a viable PP option even at the AHL level. He was awful as a PP QB both as far as positioning himself on the blue line and moving the puck with speed and precision, He also didn’t show any creativity in findning passing lanes. His big positive on the PP is his ability to skate up ice and enter the zone, but once he’s entered he tends to run out of ideas.
    Just a bad PP option and it almost got a little embarrassing the way they forced him onto the first PP when the rest of the group on the ice locked so strong and Laleggia looked exceptional on the second PP.

Nurse is a top talent and those guys tend to have the ability to learn quickly I however doubt he’ll ever be a great PP option. I just don’t see the offensive creativity and vision needed.

33. Pouzar says:

Wow…From Gregor:

“I had a good chat with Anton Lander. He told me he and Draisaitl spoke before camp and they will rotate centre responsibilities based on who is the first one back into the zone. Faceoffs will switch based on who is feeling it.”

34. Real_Hockey_Fan says:

Pajamah:
    Real_Hockey_Fan,

You are the Tony Clifton of this site. Don’t ever change.

Thanks!! Never heard of him but I’m gonna assume he knows a thing or to about hockey!!!

Guys I’m not gonna monapolize this comment board so before I go I’ll just let ya know I started one of those Twitter accounts the other day!! I’m @real_hockey_fan. Okay enough with the self promotion I’ll hang up and reed the rest of the comments boys.

35. Pouzar says:

SwedishPoster:
    Магия 10,

I think that’s a tad harsh as far as a critique of his PP abilities. I don’t think, however, he should be option 1 or 2 either. What I do think is that he needs to be on the ice as much as possible on the PK and full strength. That’s his bread butter. Defending and moving the puck.

36. RexLibris says:

Jon Gillies looks like the Flames’ do-over on drafting Martin Brodeur (he’s a really high-end prospect who could become a franchise goalie in two years’ time), and their prospects played the DInos the other day.

Guess what happened?

Randy Sportak
    @SUNRandySportak

#Flames G Jon Gillies not practising. Being treated under concussion protocol after the hit he took in game versus the Dinos.

Five years ago that would have been the Oilers. Every good prospect out with a concussion, a bum shoulder, or a torn ACL in a nothing game against a friendly opponent.

37. jm363561 says:

Pouzar:
    Wow…From Gregor:

=======

Apart from telling Gregor did they mention this to the coach?

38. Магия 10 says:

Pouzar:
    Wow…From Gregor:

They glossed over the most important duty. Who tells yak where to go?

39. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:

From the article:

Ference has spoken with Todd McLellan and Peter Chiarelli about the captaincy and while none will get specific, Chiarelli said that whatever happens, he expects Ference will handle it like a professional.

Yep, he’s getting the C taken away. Your boss doesn’t tell you that they expect you to handle a situation like a professional when it’s something good.

They’re running the camp and exhibition and will name a new captain before the season starts with Ference, perhaps, given the opportunity to use that time to provide his own input.

Make no mistake, the decision has been made and they know who they’re giving it to, but they’ve given Ference notice that it’s happening and time now to come around to the same conclusion they have as well. His only choice is in picking the same guy Chiarelli and McLellan have in mind.

All my opinion, but this isn’t a new scenario in management.

40. Магия 10 says:

jm363561:

Lol. They told nicholson first.

41. RexLibris says:

jm363561,

It was discussed that this is in keeping with McLellan’s format where the one forward swings to the center for the shift in the defensive zone.

Draisaitl and Lander are both center/wingers and have been “paired” so to speak, so the third winger will be the man who commits most on the forecheck and provides pass option support for zone exit.

Sounds like it plays to Yakupov’s skills pretty well.

42. Pouzar says:

Магия 10: It’s easy to spot their stationary bike in the exercise room. 2 seats. This is what tmac hinted at.

They glossed over the most important duty. Who tells yak where to go?

Drai will find Yak at the concession stands for a one timer. Doesn’t matter.

43. Pouzar says:

Ok I f^cking Hate the new goalie already

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 1m1 minute ago

44. verdad2.0 says:

Reinhart and Nurse are not problems. They are opportunities for a quality defense.
    Why obseess about them at this point?

The real task at hand for Chiarelli is to salvage the season and his job by flushing out the NSF asap.
    It is idiotic to believe that all three start for the Oilers to begin the season.

Sadly, we know the real opportunity to flush was three months ago, but Chiarelli listened to the clowns that lost us Petry and Marincin.

Chiarelli needs to fix this now or else the season is doomed, regardless of the quality of the forwards.

The NHL game is about defensemen who can get the puck out of their end efficiently. Nothing else matters really.

We wait, and expect nothing. Only sad confirmation that the Oilers are cursed with incompetent management.

45. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Pouzar: Cam Talbot just accidentally hit RNH in the face clearing a puck after a drill. Went off ice checking his teeth.

I was just thinking that Nuge looks too much like an engineering student, and not enough like a hockey player. This will be good for him.

And not as bad as the collision in the Wings camp that saw one player (prospect) with a broken leg, and Helm with a shoulder separation and possible concussion.

46. "Steve Smith" says:

jm363561:

You’re a bit late – Real_Hockey_Fan has already claimed that shtick.

47. Hammers says:

I am still a believer of giving young players a little and very little leeway .the problem we have is our depth older players ,Nikitan and Ference have lost a step, Ference probably two steps . In Reinhart we on paper have an excellent player but he has to prove it immediately and keep showing improvement .based on the U of A game Nurse goes to the A . My gut says Reinhart will make it but we will see in these early games . I hope he sticks to his strengths .

48. SwedishPoster says:

Pouzar:
    Ok I f^cking Hate the new goalie already

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug1m1 minute ago
    Cam Talbot just accidentally hit RNH in the face clearing a puck after a drill.Went off ice checking his teeth.

Nah, it’s about time RNH got himself a real hockey face. Too much clean cut Ivy League student so far, that’s why he’s never emerged past the #3C position nor surpassed 50 points.

49. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

verdad2.0: salvage the season

WTF? Don’t you get tired of standing on that ledge?

50. Магия 10 says:

RexLibris:
    jm363561,

Sounds like it plays to Yakupov’s skills pretty well.

Also sounds like it plays to the wealth of good players in the nhl who played center in junior.
    Hey. Just had a novel idea. Since these guys don’t line up left to right why not call the better of the 2 centre and list lines as C L R. Don’t anyone tell LT about this new fangled idea.

51. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

SwedishPoster,

Great minds… something something.

52. Hammers says:

RexLibris: From the article:

All my opinion, but this isn’t a new scenario in management.

Hall or RNH .

53. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Wish I had won the TC lotto:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers now31 seconds ago

Almost time for the first scrimmage at #OilersCamp! @hallsy04 & @Nail10_1993’s Team White getting warmed up.

54. Магия 10 says:

JD¡™ David O’Connor’s Reel: And not as bad as the collision in the Wings camp that saw one player (prospect) with a broken leg, and Helm with a shoulder separation and possible concussion

Wow. Maybe Renney took some of the oil curse with him.

The Oilers don’t need the defensemen they play on the power play to be the PP quarterback. They have forwards for that. They just need a D who is a good passer and can shoot. So right now, most likely to least, Klefbom, Reinhart (better shot than Nurse), Nurse. But Sekera is probably the MOST likely if Schultz fails at the PP task.

Schultz better have been working on his shot, because…

56. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Live tweet updates from scrimmage. Looks like YakM takes Nuge’s place for the start of scrimmage:

57. RexLibris says:

godot10: The Oilers don’t need the defensemen they play on the power play to be the PP quarterback.They have forwards for that.They just need a D who is a good passer and can shoot. So right now, most likely to least, Klefbom,Reinhart (better shot than Nurse), Nurse.But Sekera is probably the MOST likely if Schultz fails at the PP task.

Schultz better have been working on his shot, because…

Ideally they need a mobile d-man back there who can hold the blueline.

That is the key, keeping the puck from sliding outside the line on clearing attempts around the boards and not bobbling a pass back to the point.

I’d nominate Klefbom. He skates so well, moves quickly and efficiently, and has a large enough frame that when he throws it against the boards to block to clearing attempt it usually works.

That was the first thing I noticed about the addition of Pronger, when the Oilers lost the puck in the o-zone and it was cleared around the boards, he got there first and blocked the attempt. Kept possession in the zone and kept the penalty killers on the ice. Massive difference in productivity as a result.

That is what they need and Klefbom looks to me like the best at that of this group.

58. RexLibris says:

Edmonton Oilers retweeted
    Chris Wescott ‏@TheChrisWescott 17m17 minutes ago

McDavid springs Purcell who hits Hall on left wing, Hall snipes far post. #Oilers White up 1-0

59. RexLibris says:

Edmonton Oilers retweeted
    Chris Wescott ‏@TheChrisWescott 3m3 minutes ago

#Oilers White up 2-0 now with another goal from Hall.

Maybe Hall makes the team this year.

60. Gret99zky says:

JD¡™ David O’Connor’s Reel:
    Wish I had won the TC lotto:

Why is training camp being held in such a tiny venue?

Why must our team always be known for its lotteries?

61. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Gret99zky: Why must our team always be known for its lotteries?

If the Oilers get first pick in the coming expansion draft, we’ll know something is up.

62. RexLibris says:

I think I found one of LT’s new preferred gifs.

63. Магия 10 says:

Lowetide: other question I have: Of the three young blue (Klefbom, Reinhart, Nurse), is there one who is more likely to be power play?

Nurse*

* cuz he’ll get tons of pp in the A however long that is.

More seriously Klef.this year and next. Perhaps nurse long term.

64. RexLibris says:

Bruce McMcCurdy retweeted
    Brenden Ullrich ‏@BrendenUllrich 12m12 minutes ago Leduc, Alberta

Hall and McDavid look like they’ve been playing together for years.

65. Hammers says:

Anyone have list of players playing today

66. Магия 10 says:

Gret99zky: Why is training camp being held in such a tiny venue?

It’s an elaborate plot to fire the Commissioner. No Joey Moss Cup game for the fans this year 🙁

67. Магия 10 says:

Hammers:
    Anyone have list of players playing today

4 and 97.

68. maxwell_mischief says:

I ran into one of my friend’s brother who was with the Islanders organization last season (now with another ahl team) and he expressed his joy with the opportunity to change clubs. He made it seem like that is a consensus among a lot of players. We were catching up so I didnt ask any details but maybe Bridgeport is not a healthy environment.

69. bill needle says:

Hi Lowetide!

70. Centre of attention says:

Someone please tell me The Nuge is okay…

Puck clearing attempts to the face are survivable but Nuge is so delicate 🙁 Hopefully its just teeth and not a jaw bone or something….

Things were going too good for the Oilers….SOMETHING bad always has to happen.

71. MOAR WINZ PLEEZ says:

Pouzar:
    Ok I f^cking Hate the new goalie already

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug1m1 minute ago

I’m gonna go ahead and take the bait… Nuge is starting to show some real grit

72. Derek says:

RexLibris:
    I think I found one of LT’s new preferred gifs.

I would marry that woman even if she was a Canucks fan.

73. Johnny Larue says:

I am a huge fan of the Griffan Reinhart trade bird in hand meme . I think he will make the team out of camp and will become an integral part of the core moving forward. Darnell will probably have to spend sometime in the AHL but he is going to be a beast for years to come. Along with Sekera we have the beginning of our championship defence. This is Shultz’s chance to sh#t or get off the pot. Gryba has qualities this team needs and I have a feeling he may surprise a few people. I am looking forward to seeing how this plays out in camp

74. jp says:

Centre of attention:
    Someone please tell me The Nuge is okay…

Puck clearing attempts to the face are survivable but Nuge is so delicate Hopefully its just teeth and not a jaw bone or something….

Things were going too good for the Oilers….SOMETHING bad always has to happen.

The Twitter says:

———————————————————————————————————————
    Chris Wescott @TheChrisWescott

Looks like Nugent-Hopkins will sit out the start of scrimmage after taking puck to face in earlier skate. Yakimov centres Pouliot/Eberle
    12:51 PM – 19 Sep 2015
    ———————————————————————————————————————

Sounds like he’s expected back today.

75. jp says:

Johnny Larue:
    This is Shultz’s chance to sh#t or get off the pot.

He’s been shitting his pants/the bed for 3 yrs now. Even getting him on the pot is progress.

76. Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker) says:

Yeah training camp. Learn so much about players here.

77. v4ance says:

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 30s30 seconds ago
    Oilers and Klefbom have agreed to terms on a 7 year Contract extension. Deal to be finalized in the next 24 to 48 hours.

WOOOOT!

78. blainer says:

Pouzar: Drai will find Yak at the concession stands for a one timer. Doesn’t matter.

LOL.. nearly pissed my pants laughing at that one..

79. Centre of attention says:

Looks like Klefbom got his 7 Year extension, and the Nuges is OK. I’m suddenly very calm again 😀

80. dustrock says:

v4ance:
    Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug30s30 seconds ago
    Oilers and Klefbom have agreed to terms on a 7 year Contract extension.Deal to be finalized in the next 24 to 48 hours.

WOOOOT!

Came to post this. Fantastic news.

81. blainer says:

verdad2.0:
    Why obseess about them at this point?

Wow no mention of OEL in you’re post this time. .. Surprising indeed.. I get where you are coming from and most here agree about FSN.. I have to believe though that with the experienced NHL coach we NOW have and the verbal from him yesterday that it will probably only take two games at most before both of Ference and NN piss him off and are scratched. Shultz will get the cherry mins and not be counted on much for defense. My guess is he plays 17 mins a night including his PP time. He also will be on a short leash with this coach.

82. stush18 says:

Oilers reach 7 year extension with klefbom.

Think I know what tonight’s post is about.

83. wheatnoil says:

Is that 2 UFA years on the 7 year deal? Is my math right?

Speeds?

84. John Chambers says:

wheatnoil,

That’s 3 UFA years. My guess is that this will soon become one of the league’s 50 best value-contracts.

85. John Chambers says:

Johnny Larue,

I’m looking forward to the size of the D-corps. Smallest guy is Klefbom at 6’3″ 215, while the other three average 6’4″ 230.

Nurse-Klefbom
    Reinhart-Gryba

Monstrous

86. jp says:

v4ance:
    Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug30s30 seconds ago

WOOOOT!

Amazing news!! Any word on the $$?

87. Gordies Elbow says:

$4.167m AAV, according to Custance.

Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance 45m45 minutes ago
    AAV on Oscar Klefbom deal will be $4.167 million. @TSNRyanRishaug first reported 7-year deal.

88. jp says:

Gordies Elbow:
    $4.167m AAV, according to Custance.

Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance45m45 minutes ago

That looks like a hell of a deal buying 3 UFA years.

89. Магия 10 says:

Gordies Elbow:
    $4.167m AAV, according to Custance.

Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance45m45 minutes ago

Chia wanted to give him 8. But MacT convinced tem to challenge him the last year

90. book¡je says:

After years of following this team, experiencing competant management doing the right thing is kinda weird.

91. Магия 10 says:

Reinhart. Last of the Oil Kings?

Cue the memes.

~ LT hates Broissot, Moroz, Gernat. ~

~ 3 for 1 ~

92. Магия 10 says:

book¡je:

Cold Turkey is hard. Ask your physician to prescribe some Riders watching.

Магия 10:
    Reinhart. Last of the Oil Kings?

Cue the memes.

~ LT hates Broissot, Moroz, Gernat. ~

~ 3 for 1 ~

lol. I loved the 2012-14 Oil Kings in a way I haven’t loved a junior team since maybe 1976 or so. They were SO talented.