ROLLERBALL

In the not too distant future, the Edmonton Oilers blue line will be patrolled by men named Oscar Klefbom, Griffin Reinhart, Darnell Nurse and other men under 25. The hope (for me) is one of these men emerges as a ‘complete’ NHL defenseman, able to play in any situation and to play substantial minutes every night.

CFP AND THE 2014-15 OILERS

COMPLETE DEFENSEMAN

The Oilers had a helluva team in 2005-06 and this is reflected in Pronger’s numbers, but the real key is that total time on ice. For basically half a game, and that’s all year, the Oilers employed the Rake and as you’ll recall Pronger on the ice was basically Trump’s Wall brought to the NHL.

Dallas Eakins and Todd Nelson employed Klefbom mostly at even strength (his 19:47 per game ranked him No. 15 overall in the NHL last season) and that’s a terrific number. Seriously. Klefbom’s offense last year was a pleasant surprise, he was No. 3 among rookie defenseman and had significant impact among Oilers blue:

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.90 (1st among regular D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 4.71 (1st among regular D)
  • Qual Comp: 5th toughest among D
  • Qual Team: best available among D
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 49.9
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: 9.4
  • Zone Start: 58.0%
  • Zone Finish: 52.6%
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 98 shots/2.0%
  • Boxcars: 60, 2-18-20

NURSE AND REINHART

If we’re in Vegas betting, who among this trio has the best offensive potential? I think all three should be able to handle PK and even strength (Klefbom is clearly there) but what about the power play? Are any of these men destined for it? Who among them is most likely to post 40 points in a season? 30? Here are the latest NHLE’s from their most recent non-NHL season (and Klefbom’s NHL season):

• Oscar Klefbom 2014-15 NHL 60GP, 2-18-20 .333 points-per-game
  • Darnell Nurse 2014-15 OHL: 82GP, 7-16-23 .280 points-per-game
  • Griffin Reinhart 2014-15 AHL: 82GP, 5-11-16 .195 points-per-game

Klefbom’s SEL seasons and really his first NA year seem to have obscured some offensive talent. I watched him last night (and the other two) and for me there’s maybe something there. Is Klef the best offensive option of the three? And do any of them have much of a future on the power play.

If these three men end up scoring at about the pace of Steve Staios when the Oilers were good (26-28 points)—while delivering solid defensive play ala Staios/Jason Smith—would you consider that to be a disappointment? I can’t imagine being disappointed.

OFFENSIVE DEFENSEMEN

The rest of this decade and into next, if the Oilers are going to produce a quality offensive defensemen it’ll be either Justin Schultz or Joey Laleggia—or God forbid Jakob Chychrun is available when Edmonton selects in 2016. For Schultz, the possibility of being a part of this Oilers team moving forward has taken on a life of its own in the last 24 hours, and a lot of that comes from his performance last night.

I’m interesting the Schultz progress and intrigued by Klefbom in all of this. Mobile, wide range of skills, 6.03, 210, sturdy, rugged. The devils who count Swedish second assists may have given us a false reading on the offense. Are we looking at (eventually) Edmonton’s first complete defenseman since the Big Unit?

77 Responses to "ROLLERBALL"

1. zatch says:

“God forbid Jakob Chychrun is available when Edmonton selects in 2016”

I don’t expect the Oilers to make the playoffs, and indeed expect them to finish about 22nd-20th. I very badly want the Oilers to luck into the 2nd or 3rd lottery spot. The irony would be incredible (Rule change in response to the Oilers, that coincides with the change being advantageous for the Oilers).
    Hell, McD was ALREADY a case of that.

2. striatic says:

zatch: Side note, if Edmonton was to get the 3rd overall say, what would be best to do with it? Trade big, trade down, or keep and use?

Given McDavid? Keep and use. New cluster rules.

A higher pick like 10th and up I think you move it. Players in that range will take too long to develop to make the NHL during McDavid’s ELC. Better to move for a move ready prospect, like the Reinhart deal.

3. v4ance says:

Scotty Bowman interview with Bob McCowan.

Bowman says Dubnyk’s revival due in large part to only playing “post to post” instead of sliding by the post in the past. He’s on his feet more and uses his size to simply let all the shots hit his large frame. He would expend less energy, he’d be in better position for rebounds and he’s using his width and height to it’s best advantage

It seems like a simple message but obviously, our previous goalie coach couldn’t find the right language to explain the best method for Dubnyk to succeed.

4. RexLibris says:

For me, Klefbom is the PP king because of:

1. He can move back and forth at the blueline to act as the fulcrum on the PP moving the puck from the left to the right halfwall and throwing a shot on net for rebound.

2. He can maintain the blue line on the PP and hold the puck in, leading to longer zone PP time and thereby increasing his chances of touches before a goal.

3. His size, frame and style of play mean that he should remain healthy for long stretches, thereby increasing the length of time he has to contribute.

I don’t think he gets a ton of 1st point power play points (goals and direct assists), but I think he end up like Nugent-Hopkins, playing a beautiful simple game and showing up once or twice on the scoresheet at the end.

5. frjohnk says:

If we don’t make the playoffs, this is probably what happens.

Win lottery.
    Trade pick to coyotes for OEL.
    Verdad 2.0 finally stops sacrificing goats.

6. Centre of attention says:

Watched the post-practice interviews today, and Taylor Hall straight up said “Norris Potential” when talking about Justin Schultz.

I don’t know how to feel.

7. stevezie says:

If he ever wins one MacT will be set up for the biggest Toedaso in the history of the blogosphere

8. PaperDesigner says:

Centre of attention:

I don’t know how to feel.

9. Centre of attention says:

PaperDesigner: Granted, I don’t know the context, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility that Justin has been subject to some light ribbing on account of that MacTavish quote. Like every time he scores a goal, he gets told how Norris-worthy the play was.

That’s kind of how I took it. I know they are good friends but still. He can talk down expectations for McDavid but will say Norris trophy when talking about Schultz? He must be joking.

10. JD¡™ says:

Centre of attention: I don’t know how to feel.

Well he went into that scrum last night like Chuck Norris!

11. LOObird says:

Draft talk in September. That’s the Oilers I know.

Just kidding. Sort of. I’d rather hear about the draft now than in November.

12. PaperDesigner says:

LOObird:
    Draft talk in September. That’s the Oilers I know.

Just kidding. Sort of. I’d rather hear about the draft now than in November.

Could you imagine how weird it would feel to draft outside the top 10? I think our brains would have trouble coping. “WHADDYA MEAN HE’S NOT GOING TO PLAY IN THE TOP SIX AT EIGHTEEN?? WHAT’S WRONG WITH HIM?”

My hope is to do the Top 20 leading up to Christmas, have a strong run through to the trade deadline and THEN begin real draft coverage in March.

14. PaperDesigner says:

striatic: Given McDavid? Keep and use. New cluster rules.

I think the whole new cluster idea is overstated. McDavid and Hall are five years apart. McDavid is also a precocious player, even by first overall standards. You go for your cup with Hall in his mid twenties and McDavid right around 20. That’s your cluster.

15. PaperDesigner says:

…And when did you hope to start draft coverage last season?

16. bill needle says:

If the Oilers miss the playoffs, the media will say the Oilers have ruined McDavid just like they ruined Hall, the Nuge and Yakupov. Some folks believe Hall is failing even though he’s arguably one of the top 20 players in the NHL and on the rise.

17. leadfarmer says:

I was hoping you would do a preseason top 30. Oh well I guess I’ll wait till Xmas

18. PaperDesigner says:

bill needle:

If this media is Toronto-based, bear in mind the poor souls have to extol the virtues of Mitch Marner as franchise saviour, due to random chance’s surprising sense of irony. It’s not something to let under your skin.

19. striker says:

“With their first round draft pick the Edmonton Oilers select Tyler Benson.”??

Hopefully the scouts will be talking about the possibility of drafting Benson instead of Matthews in 2016.

20. Marincin4president says:

I’m very curious to see what we’re gonna get from Reinhart at the NHL level
    I saw him play probably 30+ times playing for the Oil Kings and he seemed pretty steady and smooth but also he didn’t do anything really amazing in my eyes but I do get that he’s not on the team to do the amazing plays but I just wish he would do more sometime
    I really don’t think he’s a top 2 or maybe not even a top 4 D-man
    But I really hope I’m wrong cause I like Reinhart

21. LOObird says:

First top 10 Nov 26

Reading the comment section there makes me sad.

Only ten months later and I no longer feel like I have to wear a paper bag on my head to Oiler games here in Winnipeg.

22. BrazilianOil says:

Kylington at 5… I’m pissed he’s a Flame!

23. Oil2Oilers says:

I feel inspired by some of the young guns on defense. I offer the following what have you done for me lately defensive pairings;

Klefbom-Sekara – Vet plays the off wing. Possibly not a ‘true’ top pairing but close
    Reinhart-Schultz – Good temperament blend. Responsible Rookie Irresponsible Vet.
    Nurse-Fayne – Low minutes, high adventure. Fayne would be abandoned a few times.
    Gryba

Davidson
    Musil
    Simpson/Oesterly/Leggs

Each of the 3 NHL pairs has some experience, some puck moving ability and some beef(cake?)

24. B S says:

One of the things with Schultz is that he didn’t try to do everything himself last night. I think part of what helps Schultz is playing with Kelfbom. He’s realized that (as the rest of us figured out) Klef is really good.

This doesn’t just make Schultz’ job easier (fewer lopsided sorties), but it also means that he can just focus on his own work and leave the rest to Klefbom. He couldn’t do that with any other partner on the team last year. I think if we see Schultz and Klefbom sticking together this season we’ll see some really good hockey from Schultz. Basically Jultz is figuring out that he doesn’t have to do everything himself and he can rely on his partner when he’s in trouble. I guarantee he couldn’t get that from Ference.

25. Receptor Antagonist says:

I just bet a buddy from Vancouver that the OIlers would finish higher in the standings than the Canucks. How safe do ya’ll think the bet is?

26. hunter1909 says:

I only really and truly noticed Klefbom last night. He’s going to be an excellent defenceman. Very, very soon.

Reinhart isn’t a slouch either.

Preseason? Does anyone remember MPS’s hat trick?

Still, my money says both of these d-men are going to end up keepers, and since I’ve already stuck my neck out I’m going to include Jules for a Hunter1909 Trifecta of solid young Oiler defencemen.

Generally, the forwards appeared to have cohesion in the forward zone. Can that be from coaching?

Whatever happened to that bald assistant coach?

Receptor Antagonist:

Good bet

28. hunter1909 says:

Receptor Antagonist:

Is there money involved? Is your buddy a welcher on debts? This kind of thing.

29. Spoils says:

I really liked seeing that C on Nurse in Penticton. I bet if we send him down to develop we will be much more likely to see a Captain worthy Nurse in the long run.

I also have a good feeling about Griffin, and Klefbom, and heck maybe Jultz as well…

But I would still push hard to trade for a Hedman. I know everyone thinks it is impossible, but there is a price for everything – (Gretz? Coffee? Pronger? have we not learned anything here). It would be the rarest of blockbusters, but big trades happen once every decade or so.

A guaranteed #1D under 25 to be the second to McDavid would lead to multiple cups. They are that important. And you could honestly give up Hall, Eberle, and our next 4 first round picks and it would be worth it. (now I don’t think it would cost that much, but to a contender that is the value of a guy like Pronger or Keith who plays 50% of every game).

30. speeds says:

What would you need to see out of Lander to make him worth a 15M, 5 yr extension, in your mind, next summer?

31. Ice Sage says:

hunter1909: Is there money involved? Is your buddy a welcher on debts? This kind of thing.

Canucks fan… u have to ask? Get a deposit or be prepared to be paid from the dispensary

32. hunter1909 says:

Spoils:

Add 2006 Chris Pronger and I get your point.

Thing is, in reality the Oilers need to develop from within. If they show patience, and don’t rush things they could be a contender very soon. On the other hand, if they start tossing away their Eberle’s the whole edifice could collapse.

I’ll say it again and again: Lowe+MacT were terrible hockey managers. But if nothing else, they bequeathed the most exciting bunch of young players to new management in a generation…basically making Lowe’s idiotic bombast ring true.

Of course Hall was apparently scheduled for the next round of “Sourayville”… but it never got that far.

33. hunter1909 says:

Ice Sage: Canucks fan… u have to ask?Get a deposit or be prepared to be paid from the dispensary

Vancouver types do tend to be kinda flakey.

34. MOAR WINZ PLEEZ says:

Centre of attention:

I don’t know how to feel.

and he wants to hire Schultz as the head coach

35. JD¡™ says:

Suntory was right:

Elliotte Friedman Verified account
    ‏@FriedgeHNIC

Kane accuser lawyer says new information is making him step away from representing her.

36. stephen sheps says:

speeds:

15 goals, solid positional play at both C and LW as needed, good net-front presence on PP2, Corgis barking in a good direction, and continuing the solid PK.

I’d be thrilled if something like that happens. Lander’s been a favourite of mine since forever.

37. Receptor Antagonist says:

Haha, he won’t welch…the bet is the loser donates 25 bucks to the winners area food bank. So even if I lose it’s not really losing. I feel good about it though.

38. PaperDesigner says:

MOAR WINZ PLEEZ: He’s just thinking ahead to his post-playing career, you know… when he becomes the GM in 20 yearsand he wants to hire Schultz as the head coach

I can see him working with the defence now:

“Okay kid, now, hold onto your stick with one hand and gently lean towards the forward. That’ll show him.”

39. stephen sheps says:

JD¡™:
    Suntory was right:

Elliotte Friedman Verified account
    ‏@FriedgeHNIC

care to catch me up? what did suntory suggest/infer?

40. JD¡™ says:

stephen sheps: what did suntory suggest/infer?

That this story was already better than the second season of True Detective.

41. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Good bet

I’d pegged the Canucks to finish bottom ten in the league.

Reviewing some early predictions the last while and it would appear I’m at worst in sync and at best optimistic.

One report I read suggests the Canucks could finish as low as 27th overall, and I have reason to trust that person’s evaluation.

Then again, I may be embarrassing myself for not doing enough local media research. 🙂

42. RexLibris says:

speeds:

Specifically?

I’d like to see a 50% or greater Corsi rating over the season, playing between 2nd and 3rd line forward competition, effective penalty killing, no less than 49% on the faceoff dot and north of .45 ppg.

43. stephen sheps says:

JD¡™,

ah, ok – I thought there was an actual legal thing. I remember reading that yesterday and quietly agreeing.

edit: here’s a link to an article: http://www.csnchicago.com/blackhawks/lawyer-patrick-kanes-accuser-withdraws-case

RexLibris: Specifically?

yeah, pretty much that. You put the numbers in where I failed to, but that’s basically my wish/dream season for Lander. I really hope it happens and think he’s more than capable of doing it.

44. RexLibris says:

1-0 Flames over Avs end of 1st period.

Shots 11-9 Avs.

Jooris with the goal.

45. Cahoon says:

Oil2Oilers:

Gryba

Davidson
    Musil
    Simpson/Oesterly/Leggs

I really like those pairings.

46. Aron_S says:

RexLibris,

Hey Rex, I often look forward to reading your comments (amongst many others on LT’s site) and I saw a comment yesterday that may have been answered, but disappeared for me as seems to happen in the comments these day. If you don’t mind, how did you end up writing at Flamesnation.ca and are you writing anywhere now?

I’d be keen to follow along.

47. Snowman says:

I’ve got to share this story.

Sitting at dinner tonight with my fiancee and her parents, we got talking about Yogi Berra and inevitably we started quoting are favorite Yogi-isms. After her Dad and I shared a few of our favorites my fiancee chimes in with “Hey Booboo wanna go and steal some picinic baskets?” complete in cartoon Yogi Bear voice.

She had no idea why we were all laughing so hard afterwards. God it was priceless.

48. Ryan says:

Let’s let bygones be bygones…

Chara’s out with an upper body injury… Seidenberg’s out with a herniated disc…

Ference already has the tat.

Ference to the Bruins for future considerations.

Snowman:
    I’ve got to share this story.

OMG! Fantastic stuff!!! You’re IN REAL DANGER!!!!!!! 🙂

50. Snowman says:

Hahaha. She’s smarter than the average bear.

51. flyfish1168 says:

The mathematical formula for a VO2 number is mL/(kg*minute). An average male comes in around 30-40. Great athlete will be in the 60s. Duncan Keith scored a 71

If we have 3 d-men that has cardio like this, the long and opposite side change for our d-men would not be an issue if they are caught out there. It sounds like reinhart, Klefblom and Nurse has some major cardio. If this is true we will be in great shape.

I hate seeing NN sucking wind out there after a 45 second shift

Snowman:

Hahaha. She’s smarter than the average bear.

Well, she’s kind of correct in a way.

53. Snowman says:

You know I shouldn’t be surprised at that but I didn’t know they were related at all. I always thought it was just a funny coincidence.

I’ll have to tell her. It’ll make her feel better about the twenty minutes of laughter that ensued.

54. Ryan says:

Aron_S:
    RexLibris,

I’d be keen to follow along.

Iirc there as an opening at Flames Nation and he saw it as an opportunity to write in an objective fashion since he’s not a Flames fan.

I have to admit one of the endearing side effects of this writing gig is his propensity to provide score and corgi updates to us that no one here likely cares much about.

55. Aron_S says:

Ryan,

Haha, thanks muchly.

56. RexLibris says:

Aron_S,

Hey, no worries, thanks for asking.

I became a contributor to Nations a couple years back with a series on Rebuilds. After that I gradually moved over to Flamesnation as Oilersnation filled up with a lot of very qualified full-time writers.

Since then I’ve done bit pieces for NHLNumbers, the Jets and Leafs nation sites and have sort of drifted into a freelance position with Flamesnation. I pick what I want to write about, post infrequently, and just generally make a nuisance of myself.

I’ve always found value in the voice outside the crowd, so that’s what I try to offer up at FN.

Hope that helps.

57. Oil2Oilers says:

Snowman:

Hahaha. She’s smarter than the average bear.

A third interpretation and favorite of the Glasgow karaoke seen;

+ Dani Behr (referenced in the song) http://www.oneangryman.com/ken/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Dani-Behr.jpg

58. Henry says:

First top 10 Nov 26

Wow, that was very early in the 20 game stretch in the Stocks that finally sank Eakins. Precient.

59. RexLibris says:

Ryan,

Ha, but how could you NOT care about the Flames.

I mean, their very existence is inimical to the Oilers, and so every bad bounce, every small trifle set in their way, every error made, no matter how small, must be recorded, examined, pored over and drained of every last drop of it’s most precious schadenfreudian nectar…

…okay, maybe not quite like that.

Seriously, though, I’ve always taken the position that more information (at least in this regard) is better than less.

And let’s face it, the Oilers aren’t going anywhere in this league right now but through (yes, THROUGH) the Flames. So keeping tabs on how they are doing (or not doing, as the case may be) seems appropriate.

60. Aron_S says:

RexLibris,

Cool, I thought I’d seen your name pop up every now and again I appreciated your work on Flamesnation when it would appear, particularly when Willis was doing the Nation Round Ups. He always did a solid job of pointing out your work and it definitely gave an objective look at the Flames, who I’m curious about (with many in-laws living in Calgary), but not enough to read or listen to the Roger Millions of the world.

Thanks for getting back to me!

61. RexLibris says:

Speaking of which, quite the barn-burner in Colorado tonight.

Still 1-0 Flames at the end of regulation.

Boys better rein in the horses on offense or there’ll be nothing left for the regular season.

62. RexLibris says:

Aron_S,

No worries. I try to respond to everyone who asks. And probably a few who don’t. 🙂

Oh, look. Flames won and were outshot by 9 (34/25). Huh, that’s weird.

Also, someone named Borna Rendulic for the Avs got a penalty. Can we please call him Banana Republic? I have images of him wearing $400 linen dress pants on the team bus.

63. Pouzar says:

Now Chara is hurt.

Come on Chia…kiss and make up with Sea Bass and send Ference out!

64. oilswell says:

CFP? I thought we all agreed to call him FCP after he broke up with us?

I get the appeal of a player like Pronger or OEL, but, really, why is it so much better to have a single player that is elite in all disciplines rather than 2 or even 3 that cover the range? Would it change much at all in a universe where Pronger were split in two such that

1. Chad Pronger played like Chris Pronger on the PP but Jason Smith at EV and PK, and
    2. Darryl Pronger played like Chris Pronger at EV and PK but Jaroslav Spacek on the PP?

Chad would get Chris’ PP minutes in ’06 and acquit himself well at the other disciplines.
    Darryl would get Chris’ EV and PK minutes in ’06 and they wouldn’t lose anything when he took Spacek’s PP minutes.

Isn’t the goal to fill the minutes with elite play regardless of who the name is on the back of the jersey? To me that’s always a team question, never a player question. So if I restate LT’s question, it looks like this:

Pronger contributed the following elite minutes: 16 on EV, 5 on PK, and 6.5 on PP. Which of the young players on the Oilers will fill those minutes at a similarly elite level?

I don’t know if the Oilers have players in a development curve that promises to be elite over multiple seasons. What’s the best guess? 17-18 through maybe 19-20 with LaLeggia (PP) and one or more of Reinhart, Nurse, or Klefbom for EV and PK? With three bullets aiming for EV and PK, is the Oilers’ main worry in developing elite-played minutes actually the PP?

With their forwards, maybe that’s not the worst weakness in the world.

If the elite is spread across multiple players that may make a difference in contracts and in resiliance to injury. Of course, the Oilers should just add OEL. It’s a simple, magical solution, so it is the only one worth considering.

65. Lloyd B. says:

speeds,

I’d take a flyer on 15M 7 yr right now !! That kid can play .. the hockey. C every team hes been on. It scares me anybody could have had him for free on waivers last year. I thought Mac T would be a good GM … but leaving Lander open…OMG!! See ya !!

66. book¡je says:

oilswell:
    CFP?I thought we all agreed to call him FCP after he broke up with us?

I get the appeal of a player like Pronger or OEL, but, really, why is it so much better to have a single player that is elite in all disciplines rather than 2 or even 3 that cover the range?Would it change much at all in a universe where Pronger were split in two such that

Isn’t the goal to fill the minutes with elite play regardless of who the name is on the back of the jersey?To me that’s always a team question, never a player question.So if I restate LT’s question, it looks like this:

I don’t know if the Oilers have players in a development curve that promises to be elite over multiple seasons.What’s the best guess?17-18 through maybe 19-20 with LaLeggia (PP) and one or more of Reinhart, Nurse, or Klefbom for EV and PK?With three bullets aiming for EV and PK, is the Oilers’ main worry in developing elite-played minutes actually the PP?

With their forwards, maybe that’s not the worst weakness in the world.

If the elite is spread across multiple players that may make a difference in contracts and in resiliance to injury.Of course, the Oilers should just add OEL.It’s a simple, magical solution, so it is the only one worth considering.

Why do you hate Dave Pronger so much?

67. Gerta Rauss says:

book¡je: Why do you hate Dave Pronger so much?

You overlooked his other brother Darryl

68. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:
    Now Chara is hurt.

Come on Chia…kiss and make up with Sea Bass and send Ference out!

Arch had this nice comment on that earlier:

Matt Henderson ‏@Archaeologuy 6h6 hours ago

Matt Henderson retweeted Boston Bruins

The Oilers are now using burner cells to call Bruin brass on account of having their regular number blocked

Here’s mine:

Rex Codex Libris ‏@CodexRex 6h6 hours ago

Rex Codex Libris retweeted Nicholas W. Goss

Get’cher Nikitins and Ferences here, ladies and gentlemen! Prized dee-fensive assets ready to drive off the lot!

Might have to be a 3-way deal that sees the Oilers move Ference with salary retained to some intermediary who then shuffles him along to the Bruins and the return gets divided between intermediary and the Oilers. All because Neely won’t speak to Chiarelli. You know, I think there was an episode of Cheers that had that same plot.

69. oilswell says:

book¡je: Why do you hate Dave Pronger so much?

I don’t. I suspect you’re confusing me with Woodguy, who has hated him since birth. He denies this though.

70. Pouzar says:

RexLibris: Arch had this nice comment on that earlier:

Matt Henderson ‏@Archaeologuy 6h6 hours ago

Matt Henderson retweeted Boston Bruins

Here’s mine:

Rex Codex Libris ‏@CodexRex 6h6 hours ago

Rex Codex Libris retweeted Nicholas W. Goss

Ha ha sweet.

71. Bruce McCurdy says:

I’d be rooting for Boston to finish DFL this year if only I wasn’t worried they’ll trade the pick to Calgary to get back at Chiarelli.

72. jp says:

oilswell:
    CFP?I thought we all agreed to call him FCP after he broke up with us?

With their forwards, maybe that’s not the worst weakness in the world.

73. oilswell says:

jp: If each player isn’t CFP level on both the PP and PK, how could they be CFP level at evens? If that makes sense.

The question makes perfect sense to me, but I think the answer doesn’t change anything. We hear plenty of talk about players like Nurse who project to be EV and PK monsters but maybe average at best on the PP. Likewise we hear of guys that are top defenders on the PP but are best on second or even third pairing at evens. The league has over the years given many examples of incomplete defenders who nevertheless were top drawer in certain aspects of the game.

Never have I seen it proven that to have a top player in any one discipline one must also be a top player in all three disciplines. The PP is just a very different skill set.

I have also never seen the proof that your top PP player must also be your top EV player. To me it seems like the Pronger ideal of the “elite all discipline defender” to be somewhat distracting.

Will we be claiming the forwards aren’t contender quality if McDavid isn’t the top forward on the PK? No? Well why do we need that in a defender?

74. misfit says:

I don’t think we’ll have a top 4 guy who can also run a powerplay from the Klefbom/Nurse/Reinhart bunch, but rather all 3 should be solid top 4 guys who will likely get PP time due to a lack of other options.

That group seems to be more along the lines of the Niinimaa/Brewer/Smith cluster we had back at the turn of the century. Niinimaa and Brewer got plenty of time with the extra man, but I wouldn’t call any one of them a PP quarterback.

I like that trio…but where is the Bobo?