EARLY ARRIVALS AND LATE DEPARTURES

When Todd McLellan coached the San Jose Sharks, the club elevated players in a manner that was at times unpredictable. Callups weren’t necessarily by the numbers and he often mixed and matched younger men with veterans. We may be seeing the first example of this with the Oilers, as Anton Slepyshev is still here and is impressing. In response to Ryan Rishaug asking him if Slepyshev was putting himself in a good position to make the team:

• McLellan: “Yes. When I look at his game, and I watched the video again—the video doesn’t lie. He did a lot of the things we worked on today in the game. He’s a young player but he’s played pro hockey before. You can see it, he’s been around pro players for awhile.”

This may not be a story this fall, the numbers don’t really line up for Slepyshev. However, Todd McLellan runs a different ship and said today he’s going to bring the 20 players who give the team the best chance to win to St. Louis. Does that include Slepyshev? We’ll see. Tomas Hertl arrived quickly in San Jose and as a rookie McLellan used him in a feature role.

I have a different view of Andrew Ference than most, he played for my other favorite team when they were in a very good place. It sneaks up and one day you can’t close a gap and someone is yelling ‘safe is death’ and it’s about you. Very few times in life when you know without being told, it’s been too long at the fair.

58 Responses to "EARLY ARRIVALS AND LATE DEPARTURES"

1. regwald says:

Two years left on that contract. He won’t walk away unless an injury forces it. There was a saying I heard to describe Wendel Clarke. Something like … he has the miles on him like grandma’s car driven to church on Sunday’s…. but his were driven in the Indy 500

2. Centre of attention says:

Ference tries, he just can’t do it anymore. It’s not a question of compete level, he just doesn’t have the physical stamina/healthy joints to play pro hockey especially with the speed of today’s game. He also had a concussion that made him miss significant time last season.

He was a good captain while here, he took the heat off number 4 on some of the worst nights imaginable. He put on a brave face and took the lashes for a team stuck in a tail spin. I appreciate what he’s done for the team up this this point, but if he is playing significant minutes in the NHL this season he’s only holding the team back. I think he’s beginning to understand that [or has for some time] and it’s only a matter of time before he parts ways. Hopefully before next season starts. I think Boston would take him with a sweetener added in.

3. G Money says:

*** NERD ALERT ***

On the topic of Ference (and Nikitin and Schultz). Extension to an earlier post here.

4. Clay says:

I’m all for Slepy making the team, if he’s legitimately earned it. After a decade of the Oilers making decisions based on things other than winning hockey games, I want to see the people playing who give them the best chance to win. And I think Slepy is in that group.

This also means Ference is eating popcorn until there’s half a dozen dmen on the injured list.

5. Water Fire says:

I have a lot of respect for your consideration of the players feelings LT. It’s easy to go over the top and say terrible things about the people that make up the teams we follow, but most would never say it face to face and there are real consequences to the people in the jerseys.

So now I will say that Andrew Ference has made an exceptional career for himself. I say exceptional because he was never an exceptional player, but despite all odds is playing at his age, and that is typically only something for exceptional players.

We should also acknowledge that the things that allowed him to keep a spot are no longer as valuable. Toughness is less important than speed and outlet passes as the league becomes so competitive.

Fitness is no longer an advantage.

Good on you AW. Move on Edmonton Oilers. There is room off the ice for a guy with such a big heart.

6. JDï™ says:

ftfy

7. RexLibris says:

Slepyshev is becoming the player we hoped Nail Yakupov would’ve been already.

That really is unfortunate.

If McLellan can find a Hertl in this young group, well…

As to Ference, I think the weather right now is appropriate.

Leaves are turning but the sun still shines and when things are just right you can still feel some of the warmth of summer. But in a split second the wind changes, the clouds darken and you are looking out the window expecting snow at any moment.

8. RexLibris says:

JDï™: Clay: This also means Ference is eating popcorn hemp seeds and kale chips until there’s half a dozen dmen on the injured list.
    ftfy

We all wish we could be as healthy at any age as he is today.

He’s done well by himself all these years.

9. JDï™ says:

RexLibris: We all wish we could be as healthy at any age as he is today.

I quite enjoy hemp seeds and kale chips. Kale chips are kind of a pain to make and you need two cookie sheets worth to get about 100 grams or so once they cook a bit.

And I have hemp seeds about every other day – they’re very high in protein.

10. JDï™ says:

Toronto v Wings stream, for those interested in watching Martin ply his trade for Babcock. Boy he looked rough in that last game I saw, but I’m still cheering for him.

Edit: Arco is in Toronto as well.

11. Water Fire says:

Being healthy isn’t the same as being fit. Being fit helps being healthy. It isn’t always fair.

12. bill needle says:

Please park your Ference romanticism in another garage. All the memories he provides to Oilers fans are of the washed-up variety.
    Press box only, unless injuries force him in. The Rick Chartraw role, and no more.

13. Centre of attention says:

G Money,

Good read, thanks for confirming what I had been starting to beleive. If Schultz can just give a crap like he seems to recently he is for sure separate from Nikitin/Ference. I agree Nikitin is actually decent at hoovering up rebounds, in fact he is pretty good in front of his own net in general [unless its off the rush because he can’t pivot] , combine that with the bombs he throws and he is for sure separate from Ference. Ference just can’t do it. I think the concussion last season didn’t help his cause at all, and I’m sure his knee’s/ankles have seen better days after all the hacks and wacks over the years. He works out like a beast, but that doesn’t help what are probably many nagging injuries.

14. BONVIE says:

The scenario reminds me of Jason Strudwicks last years as an Oiler. He was a great guy, a good vocal leader, and an old warrior, but the game was just way too fast for him. No reason for us to be angry with the person Ference he forged a great career as being a very undersized physical Defenseman and is still in as good of physical shape as anybody, but unfortunately I think it has become obvious even after last season his time as a National Hockey League player has come to an end.

bill needle:

I’m fine with what I wrote, and it stays.

16. Showerhead says:

Lowetide: I’m fine with what I wrote, and it stays.

Since when do you have a say around here? I demand 500 words on why Showerhead is awesome or else I’m starting a petition to trade Schremp for (Adam) Larsson.

17. bendelson says:

bill needle: All the memories he provides to Oilers fans are of the washed-up variety.
    Press box only, unless injuries force him in.

Not all the memories Bill. There was that hit on Kassian and that fight down in Calgary and, well, other snapshots in time. That being said, your plan for controlling his ice-time this season may be a little… generous – unless Davidson and Nurse end up leapfrogging said veteran in the press box.

18. Centre of attention says:

Marincin with an assist on JVR’s goal.

Go Marty!

19. Магия 10 says:

“McKenzie: Oilers will have to start season with three goalies”

Doesn’t see how the coaches possibly have enough to make a final call on Nillson vs. Scrivens. So that’s one less spot for a skater UNLESS one of the 3 logs some of that proving time in the A. Blame Gregor.

20. JDï™ says:

Centre of attention:
    Marincin with an assist on JVR’s goal.

Go Marty!

21. Centre of attention says:

JDï™: I hadn’t noticed him since I started watching mid-first period, and TSN just said he only now returned to the bench with stitches in his ear.

The assist was before the injury, poor Marty. Gets a point but has to pay for it with stitches soon after. Kid can never catch a break.

22. JDï™ says:

Centre of attention,

Never mind him – I’m suffering through a preseason Leaf game to watch a guy who has barely touched the ice!

23. Centre of attention says:

JDï™,

Yeah Arco not getting much love from Babs. When he is on the ice, he’s doing something good with the puck though. Always in the right spot and the play is usually moving in a good direction when he’s on the ice. Too bad he’s not on the ice much.

Arco scores, followed by a rainbow.

25. Clay says:

JDï™: I wasn’t trying to make fun of him, but can see that comment might be viewed as such now.

And I have hemp seeds about every other day – they’re very high in protein.

Kale chips are quite good, actually. Big fan, as long as someone else is making them. I’m not sure they serve them up at press level at Rexall. Well, not since the Chicken Hawk left town at any rate.

26. JDï™ says:

Arco gets PP time and cashes a rebound!

27. Pouzar says:

Some how Marty has 100% zone starts tonight but at least he’s rocking da Corgis at 70%.

28. kinger_OIL says:

– Nice pithy remarks on Ferrence LT: well done

– G: also good stuff: GAWD NSF is bad. The WOWY figures: Intuitively, all teams have a bottom anchor, +/- the Captain’s numbers, non?: is he truly worst WOWY in NHL last year?

29. RexLibris says:

And I have hemp seeds about every other day – they’re very high in protein.

Sorry, wasn’t calling you out there. Just thinking that Ference the person looks to me like a pretty commendable individual.

The player needs to call it quits.

He’s a well-respected person who has logged his time, he’ll find a job in the league if he wants it.

I’d say more but I don’t want to romanticize him.

Магия 10:
    “McKenzie: Oilers will have to start season with three goalies”

Apparently Bob missed last season.

31. JDï™ says:

RexLibris: pretty commendable individual.

In many ways too. The story of him getting his own set of tests done at UofA because he wasn’t invited to the combine – as they say, ‘he owns the cajones.’

We’ll truly know him if he turns down over $6M and retires.

32. Jonathan Willis says:

Andrew Ference has carved out an NHL career consisting of 900 regular season games and more than 100 playoff games, primarily as a 5’11”, 189-pound defensive defenceman. That’s awfully hard to do, and admirable. It’s more admirable when it comes packaged with the kind of concern for the community that has been exemplified time and time again over the course of his career.

You go ahead and romanticize, LT. If we can’t admire that kind of excellence, dedication and character there isn’t much point to watching this sport.

33. "Steve Smith" says:

Jonathan Willis: If we can’t admire that kind of excellence, dedication and character there isn’t much point to watching this sport.

Well, there’s always staged goon-fights.

34. Магия 10 says:

Woodguy: Apparently Bob missed last season.

Too busy watching Dubnyk last year Darcy.

3 more bad outings and Stauffer’s gonna be blaming the summer on this blogger he knows called Derwood something.

Chia’s gonna keep his powder dry. Lots of real games for Talbot and Nillson (and Scrivens as nhl backup) until real games give him real answers.

35. AsiaOil says:

Woodguy,

Yeah no kidding – we saw plenty last year and nothing this pre-season makes me think that some radical transformation has occurred. Scrivens is clearly not in the team’s longterm plans – but Nilsson could be – so it’s an easy call that you waive Scrivens and either have him as insurance in the AHL or harvest the cap space if he’s claimed.

Will be interesting in the next few days to see if the team is actually making the tough decisions necessary to ice the best team possible. Would be a refreshing change if they did.

36. Snowman says:

Jonathan Willis:

Absolutely.

Mr. Willis you are tremendously well spoken (or written if you prefer) but I’m not sure you’ve ever made such an important point so eloquently before.

37. Diesel says:

Every year the story builds about younger, smaller, “softer” players making an impact in the NHL.

Yes, it’s still hockey and it always will be — clean, jarring hits are thrilling and sometimes a good scrap is exactly what the game and the fans need. But in reality, things change and trends tend to trend themselves into norms.

Mesmerizing speed, dazzling goals… it’s the recipe for NHL longevity. Just because some fans (and executives) think there’s a need for “solid, stay at home, defensive defenseman” in the game doesn’t make it so — at least not for long.

We have evolved and recognized that a “balanced” pairing that features a puck-mover and a shutdown guy is the more modern approach because there are still remnants of the old world afoot.

However, if you’re an aspiring NHL d-man in 2025 and beyond (perhaps sooner), you better be able to do more than block shots, hit, scrap, and rally the troops. You must be able to: pass, shoot, create, *skate*, and understand how to limit the other teams chances with mindful positioning, anticipation, and a good stick.

There will be no such thing as a puck-moving defensemen or a first-pass defensemen, they’ll just be called defensemen.

Here lies Nikitin, Ference, Gryba etc. etc. etc.

The new world awaits.

38. JDï™ says:

Clay: Kale chips are quite good, actually. Big fan, as long as someone else is making them.

For some reason, mine never turn out as well as my daughter’s kale chips. So she gets to make them!

39. Bootstrap Effexor says:

bill needle: Please park your Ference romanticism in another garage.

Next time I see one of those intense, small dogs with the big strut try to take the end off the nose of one of those bigger dogs who are laid back and yet street savvy, my brain is going to make a mental cartoon bubble with the small dog saying to the bigger dog, “go park your Ference romanticism in some other garage, ya big oaf!” while the even-tempered big dog broods momentarily over whether the meal on offer is worth the exertion. “Na, not enough meat on those bones. I think we can settle the matter with one-sided lip curl” at which point—often, but not always—the small dog suddenly thinks to himself, “you know, that slow-moving blob of dough is rather obscenely broad across the shoulders, plus there’s all the mangy curs he runs with that the cat dragged home” and it ends there.

For a long time I’ve wanted to know what the smaller dog was thinking during the poorly judged nose snap. Now I know.

Next on the list of great wonderments: why Dr Dolittle named two of his pets—who could actually speak in their own defense—”Jip” and “Whitey”.

40. dustrock says:

Jonathan Willis,

A pleasure as always Jon.

And on Ference, the fact that he was the one to approach T-Mac and Chia about removing the C says it all.

Wonder if he’ll do it before the season or at the home opener.

41. kevin says:

RPG,

WOODGUY shouts;
    October 2, 2015 at 10:32 am
    EVERYONE NEEDS TO REMEMBER THIS STAT:
    LAST YEAR’S TIRE FIRE OILERS:
    45% CF WITH FERENCE ON THE ICE
    50% CF WITH FERENCE OFF THE ICE
    KEEP FERENCE OFF THE ICE AND YOU HAVE A FIGHTING CHANCE

If I’m reading this article correctly, Nashville’s captain has the same issue as ours. Could there be something more than just keeping Ference off the ice to improve the Oiler’s Corsi?

42. Hockey Buddha says:

Jonathan Willis:

Well said, J.W. Can’t help but have respect for Andrew Ference.

43. mm says:

I think Reinhart took Nikitin’s job.
    I think Davidison hasn’t taken Ference’s job. Close but benefit of doubt to the veteran.
    Nurse will get spot when their is an injury. Over time I think Nurse replaces Fayne.

44. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

G-Money,

Cool post. To be honest I never understood NSF. Schultz has always had the talent to be a star; he lacked the focus and dedication off the ice. But I was betting on him all summer to surprise to the upside this fall. He worked harder and focused more. Kid knows his NHL future and a big contract is on the line and he knows he almost played his way out last year. Wasn’t his fault he was 23, 24 and anointed by management as a future Norris winner and getting paid millions and gifted juicy minutes without guidance and consequences for mistakes. I’d start Jultzing then, too.

Nikitin was, by eye anyway (tar me and feather me), awful and slow from the day he arrived. That’s what back injuries do, folks. They make you age 10 years. I’ve seen it time and again. It’s unfortunate but it was a bad bet at the start, which everyone here agreed with. And then the whole discourse changed this summer as people looked at the not so bad underlying math. Still to me, the problem is injury and how crippling that can be for a player’s mobility. I still say send him down for a conditioning stint and see if he can catch lightning in a bottle one last time.

As for the captain, I start him as the number 7 and alternate him out with Gryba every once in a while. He looked done the tail end of the first season of the contract. A small defenseman lacking the physical strength now to fend off big forwards, lacking the mobility to have an active stick, lacking the ability to be a puck mover. What can you expect? Only way to play is to start to cheat. That means backing off a few feet so the opposition doesn’t blow by you. But then you give a sniper 5 feet of free space in the slot, and you’re fishing with your stick like it’s an oar for a canoe, what do you expect will happen? Gap control gets worse and worse for him. I said this last year, too. He deserves to choose how his career ends: as a regular healthy scratch, retires at the end of this year with a cushy salary in community relations that will make up for his last playing year, or waive his NMC and let the team find a taker for him with salary retained and perhaps a pick attached.
    He deserves to choose how to go out, in my opinion.

One thing Mac T did was saddle this team with bad contracts. We have known this all along. $4.5m for Purcell, $4.5m for Nikitin, $3.25m for Ference, $3.775m for Schultz when he had zero arbitration rights and the team had full control were all over pays (or in the case of Purcell, not a great acquisition). Again, that’s $16m spent on two would-be pressbox or bottom pairing D, a slowing middle six winger, and a raw, flawed, offensive D who wasn’t very good at even strength. That’s more than a quarter of the cap spent on parts that should be replaceable for a lot less each summer.

Oilers could have been big cap beneficiaries this summer. Could have had Petry, Ehrhoff, Stempniak, Boyes etc. as needed. It’s a shame.

But, incompetence brought us McDavid and Chia so I am hopeful. I’m really curious to see who else gets the axe after this season. I have a feeling Mac T is going to take the fall. The question for me is does Howson successfully convince Pete NN was Mac T ‘s call and escape the guillotine?

We wait.

45. Hockey Buddha says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

I agree that Nikitin’s injury has impacted his career somewhat negatively. I think MacT will likely remain with the organization in some capacity, unless he decides to step away. Finally, I think that you are off in the way that you portray Howson. I think that’s pretty unfair. I doubt he’s that spineless.

46. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAint'sSo! says:

Sorry to rain on the parade but I think its important to separate Ferance the community activists/unbelievably awesome captive for Spider-Mable and Ference the hockey player

Romanticize all you want but when he was a defenceman for the Oilers he was always a liability, he did not contribute (and I am citing the much more reputable stats brought up on this blog via G-Money, Ricki and Woodguy (all apologies if I got my citations wrong)) to a winning culture on this team. He never helped the Oilers win.

Yes he was great for the city of Edmonton but before we go and anoint a statue to the man lets remember that he was a 5 alarm tire fire when he was on the ice where he was being paid to play hockey.

Love the guy, wish him well and hop he stays on with the club or the city but he is NOT a hockey player anymore and its time that he moved on.

47. russ99 says:

The other thing about Ference, is you can’t rip the guy for getting an NMC. It was MacT’s stupidity, and any other player in that situation would have done the same thing.

That said, it’s on Chiarelli now to sit down and talk with him to realize he’s not going play much here and look at the options. If he wants to sit in the press box for a year or two and be a de-facto extra coach, that’s his prerogative, but I’d think as a hockey player he may consider going somewhere else where he can play.

kevin:
    RPG,

WOODGUY shouts;
    October 2, 2015 at 10:32 am
    EVERYONE NEEDS TO REMEMBER THIS STAT:
    LAST YEAR’S TIRE FIRE OILERS:
    45% CF WITH FERENCE ON THE ICE
    50% CF WITH FERENCE OFF THE ICE
    KEEP FERENCE OFF THE ICE AND YOU HAVE A FIGHTING CHANCE

You might notice that I had the 2nd last comment in that piece.

That being said, Weber’s corsi on was 50.6% last year (against toughest comp) and using Rinne as a nice proxy for “corsi off” they were 54.4% when Weber wasn’t on the ice.

50.5% against the best vs. 54.4% when not on the ice isn’t a problem.

Магия 10: Too busy watching Dubnyk last year Darcy.

3 more bad outings and Stauffer’s gonna be blaming the summeron this blogger he knows called Derwood something.

That’s a fair comment.

That being said, when I looked at the various goalies, Dubnyk had a history of being good to very good with one really bad year.

Scrivens had a history of being below average to really bad with only a 19 game stretch where he was among the best.

Apples and Oranges if you look at their histories.

Here’s the piece: http://becauseoilers.blogspot.ca/2015/05/a-look-at-top-ufa-goalies-and-some.html

50. commonfan14 says:

*******Fantasy Hockey Spam*********

I’m in a league that’s been running for close to a decade that’s made up primarily of Oilers fans and is looking to expand its membership.

If anyone is interested in doing an auction draft tonight at 8PM Edmonton time, it’s a points H2H league that mostly starts fresh with an auction draft every year.

If anyone is interested, please have a look at the league at the link below and drop me an email at commonfan14@gmail.com

51. Магия 10 says:

Woodguy: That’s a fair comment.

Apples and Oranges if you look at their histories.

Thanks WG. We probably violently agree on a number of propositions. Talbot is most likely to be at least average. Nillson may have more upside than Scrivens. There could be a point where you waive Scrivens and use the cap room if claimed.

But right now we’re starting at 3 question marks…again. There is only one path that gives Chia an extra chance to be right. Give Nillson the starts to amass a serious body of work in the A before you cross the Rubicon. In the mean time any of the 3 may still surprise in good and bad ways. If Chia has any tendencies they would be acting quickly AFTER he knows what he has. Don’t think Talbot’s loss or Nilsson’s early work tell enough to bet on losing Scrivens.

Магия 10,

I agree its 3 question marks.

In my opinion Talbot is the best bet and Nilsson is the 2nd best bet.

Nilsson is the 2nd best bet simply because I don’t think Scrvens is a good bet at all.

53. Магия 10 says:

Woodguy:
    Магия 10,

I agree its 3 question marks.

In my opinion Talbot is the best bet and Nilsson is the 2nd best bet.

So let Talbot and Nilsson start and Scrivens play backup. Scrivens relevance will depend on what all 3 show. To clarify I’m not betting who works out. I’m betting on how Chia places his bets More starts for Nillson sooner is a good play on thin data.

Anders Nilsson 3GP, 0.00 1.000
    Ben Scrivens 3GP, 1.97 .929
    Laurent Brossoit 1GP, 2.07 .889
    Cam Talbot 3GP, 3.18 .893

54. Bruce McCurdy says:

Jonathan Willis:

This.

55. nafnikufesin says:

Nikitin on waivers. My god, they might actually be trying to ice the best possible team this year.

56. BONVIE says:

Woodguy:
    Магия 10,

I agree its 3 question marks.

In my opinion Talbot is the best bet and Nilsson is the 2nd best bet.

That sums it up pretty well.