G1 2015-16 BAKERSFIELD CONDORS v. GRAND RAPIDS GRIFFINS

The Condors play the first official game in their history today, as the AHL regular season gets underway. This is a very good group of players and it’ll be fun to watch their progress this season. I expect we’ll see a ton of callups to Edmonton (and demotions to match) and this blog will do its best to keep track of it all.

CONDORS ROSTER OPENING NIGHT 2015

CONDORS ROSTER OPENING NIGHT

That’s a fantastic AHL roster, surely. I don’t know the lines and pairings but will have them for you later (hopefully before game time). Here was last season’s opening lineup:

• Goal: Richard Bachman, Laurent Brossoit
  • D1: Keith Aulie—David Musil
  • D2: Martin Marincin—Martin Gernat
  • D3: Jordan Oesterle—Dillon Simpson
  • L1: Ryan Hamilton—Jason Williams—Tyler Pitlick
  • L2: Iiro Pakarinen—Anton Lander—Andrew Miller
  • L3: Kale Kessy—Jujhar Khaira—Matt Ford
  • L4: Mitchell Moroz—Bogdan Yakimov—Steve Pinizzotto

Yes. This year’s team is better. I don’t know the Bakersfield fans yet, they’re probably awesome. I can’t imagine finding more enjoyable and friendly characters than the bunch we found in Oklahoma. My word, those folks are a delight.

I think this got lost a little bit, but it shouldn’t go without spending a little time on things. Edmonton clearly liked him through rookie camp and into the pre-season and did have a contract to give out. He’s an undersized two-way winger who has a motor that won’t quit. Gritty and relentless, to borrow a famous organizational word.

OKC BARONS ALL-TIME NHL PLAYERS (AND GP TOTALS)

1. Jeff Petry 314
  23. Phil Cornet 2
  24. Bogdan Yakimov 1
  25. Laurent Brossoit 1
  26. Curtis Hamilton 1
  27. Tyler Bunz 1
  28. Milan Kytnar 1

This doesn’t include this season’s games (Schultz and Lander added to it last night) and of course this total will roll out for a decade (and names will be added). Still, five seasons in OKC and 28 names, lots of misses but a few hits, too. Suspect we’re seeing a new dawn in procurement and development, one new man in Bakersfield will probably be the first NHLer to start in Bakersfield.

LAST YEAR’S ROOKIES

1. C Bogdan Yakimov 57GP, 12-16-28
  2. D Jordan Oesterle 65GP, 8-17-25
  3. L Josh Winquist 46GP, 8-11-19
  4. D Dillon Simpson 71GP, 3-14-17
  5. F Kellen Jones 49GP, 5-10-15
  6. C Connor Jones 41GP, 4-6-10
  7. C Jujhar Khaira 51GP, 4-6-10
  8. L Mitchell Moroz 66GP, 5-4-9
  9. D CJ Ludwig 28GP, 1-4-5
  10. G Laurent Brossoit 53GP, 2.56 .918

That’s a nice list, I’ll go with Brossoit as the best rookie in the group. Really like Yakimov too and maybe there’s one or two fellows in there who can have a career.

It’s interesting to hear verbal about Khaira this fall, he seems to have turned a corner. Lots of talk about his physical play and hopefully we’ll see a spike in offense. One of the maddening things about the minors is that we don’t have TOI so don’t really know how effective a role player is because of the limits. There appears to be little doubt Khaira will play more this coming season and here’s hoping for a surge in points.

178 Responses to "G1 2015-16 BAKERSFIELD CONDORS v. GRAND RAPIDS GRIFFINS"

Lineups when I find them!

2. kinger_OIL says:

– Not sure how you define “fantastic” in terms of an AHL team, but you have 2 who will play in the NHL this year in Drai and Nurse, 2 who might not ever play in the NHL again in NN and Scrivens, 1 voodoo goalie maybe in Brossoit or Etu and a bunch of plugs who averaged way less than1 ppg last year as rookies (bad arrows according to our Swede guru), that are all back, and some “potential” 6 D’s in Musil and Oesterle.

– Miller = Arco at best to boot

– Magnus, being the 2nd most successful player to have emerged from the Oil AHL development in terms of GP, I’m not holding my breath that Yakimov or others have a higher ceiling. None with the pedigree of Lander, who took 5 years to maybe emerge.

– Is a #1 and a high draft pick D on the farm a sign of good development? Recall how many years Lander and MPS were pimped, and only one has barely made it….

3. One-Timer says:

kinger_OIL,

Okay, they suck, then!

kinger_OIL:

– Miller = Arco at best to boot

– Magnus, being the 2nd most successful player to have emerged from the Oil AHL development in terms of GP, I’m not holding my breath that Yakimov or others have a higher ceiling.None with the pedigree of Lander, who took 5 years to maybe emerge.

– Is a #1 and a high draft pick D on the farm a sign ofgood development?Recall how many years Lander and MPS were pimped, and only one has barely made it….

The outer marker for an AHL player IS Anton Lander. That’s a fact. Chimera, Brodziak, that’s the guy you’re looking for.

Evan Campbell with an assist early for UMass-Lowell tonight.

Brossoit, Yakimov and Kharira will all get a chance with the Oilers.

Brossoit on pure talent and the need for NHL teams to have a conveyor belt full of goalies, the other two because of what they bring.

The GM of the OIlers has mentioned both players by name and that’s a tell.

The GM of the Oilers has expressed his desire for players who “play a heavy game” often and while he does make the caveat that the player doesn’t have to be big, make no mistake in that is what he prefers.

Makes me wonder what we’ll see in the draft in upcoming years.

I’ll give MacT this, he correctly valued skill above all else when it came to the draft (in 2013 anyhow…..)

I hope that continues as I think MacT is more of an amateur scout than anything else now.

I can see Yakimov with the big team full time next year for sure.

7. stush18 says:

kinger_OIL,

DSF? Is that you I hear trolling?

8. Evilas says:

No Greg Chase?

Anyone got a linky for the game?

Evilas:
    No Greg Chase?

ECHL. Betker and Chase.

WG: Nothing yet, starts at 8 I’ll keep an eye out

11. Centre of attention says:

LT, what do you think of McLellans move to take Hall off the McDavid line at practice today? I like it. I have a feeling Hall-Nuge will be a good pair and Pouliot-McDavid-Korp will give McDavid 2 veteran wingers who can get in the tough areas and cash in rebounds/tips in front.

Once Eb’s is back, the RW’s will remain fluid while I see Pouliot sticking with McDavid and Hall sticking with Nuge. Just my humble opinion.

12. stush18 says:

Excluding Drai and nurse, I can see useful NHL players being made from
    Big yak
    JJ
    Pak
    Miller
    Chase
    Platzer
    Moroz
    Kessy
    Laleggia
    Musil
    Brossoit
    E2d2

Seriously, this team has players. Some had better chances on the previous regime, like winquist,
    But they all still have a chance. The expansion draft cannot come soon enough.

Centre of attention:

I think Todd McLellan is way smarter than me. He tried my preference (Hall-McDavid) and it hasn’t worked. He’s trying something I’m not thrilled with (Korpikoski) but I’ve watched hockey long enough to know that this thing is going to take some time to work out. Reading too much into anything early isn’t a good idea, and I’m going to do my damndest not to (maturing!). 🙂

Miller – Draisaitl – Pakarinen
    Hamilton – Yakimov – Pitlick
    Moroz – McRae – Ford
    Christoffer – Khaira – Platzer

15. knighttown says:

kinger_OIL:

– Miller = Arco at best to boot

16. JDï™ says:

Islanders should have their 2016 first round pick taken away from them, after that mess of an anthem.

Bakersfield Condors ‏@Condors 4m4 minutes ago View translation
    DEFENSE
    Nurse – LaLeggia
    Hunt – Oesterle
    Musil – Pageau

Nurse – LaLeggia
    Hunt – Oesterle
    Musil – Pageau

Brossoit starts

knighttown: You do know that discussing long shots like Yakimov and Khaira is what we do on this blog right? We’re all pretty aware that most of these guys won’t even reach Colin McDonald levels.

Don’t mind Kinger_OIL

He’s just bitter that he picked Nurse to start on the top line for the Oilers but didn’t last until the last cuts.

No Nikitin, No Scribbles.

Woodguy: Don’t mind Kinger_OIL

Among remarks, this one should draw actual blood. 🙂

You are missing Taylor Chorney from the OKC list, who is around 70 games. (And Alex Plante, 10 games; Colten Teubert, 24 games, and technically, Theo Peckham, Corey Potter, Phil Larsson, etc)

23. Pouzar says:

Nurse – LaLeggia
    Hunt – Oesterle
    Musil – Pageau

Brossoit starts

Music!

24. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: I think Todd McLellan is way smarter than me. He tried my preference (Hall-McDavid) and it hasn’t worked. He’s trying something I’m not thrilled with (Korpikoski) but I’ve watched hockey long enough to know that this thing is going to take some time to work out. Reading too much into anything early isn’t a good idea, and I’m going to do my damndest not to (maturing!).

Centre of attention: I think Yak deserves at least a couple shifts on the 97 line. If it doesn’t work, no issue just flip it back next game. Guess McLellan is pulling the “Veteran card” which is alright, but I still believe Yak should at least get a chance.

26. cc says:

It’s tough to see Khaira make it on the Oil @ center. There’s already – McDavid, Nuge, Lander, (Drai), Letestu signed for 3 years, Yakimov in front of him. So if they would like to see him succeed would it not make sense to move him to the wing with either Drai ‘or’ Big-Yak. He looks like a perfect 4th line player a replacement for Colonel Klink.

Please leave Yakupov alone. Last year, when the injuries started happening, he chose to stay with Roy. He chose chemistry over ego. He is going to get power play time with the so-called big boys.

He can find his own game where he is. He doesn’t have to defer, because Lander is a predictable reliable player, which means Yakupov can riff off of him. It is better for Yakupov to be the alpha dog on Lander’s line at this point in time.

#YouCantHurryLove

28. Optimism is Foolish says:

eetu, scrivens and broissant. Those 3 are all going to want starts. I am surprised eetu is not in Norfolk right now until Chia sorts out the goaltending and moves a contract. I would love to see Scrivens bounce back and gain some trade value or be ready if Nillson falters.

cc:
    It’s tough to see Khaira make it on the Oil @ center.There’s already – McDavid, Nuge, Lander, (Drai), Letestu signed for 3 years, Yakimov in front of him.So if they would like to see him succeed would it not make sense to move him to the wing with either Drai ‘or’ Big-Yak.He looks like a perfect 4th line player a replacement for Colonel Klink.

Develop them as centres. You can never have too many centres.

30. flyfish1168 says:

Lowetide: I’d be willing to see Yak get an entire year with Lander-Korpikoski at evens. There’s some confidence building with Nail, it’s important not to kill the fire.

flyfish1168: I believe with Yak if he doesn’t get the minutes and a little push he will loss his confidence. Its all about the minutes at even and PP. He should at least see 16ish minutes per night. We don’t need purcell, gazdic or slepy get that many more even minutes than yak.

Oh sure, he earned more minutes the other night and should get them. I’m just saying let’s not put him in a position where the team is relying on him. This could be the last chance to save this young man.

32. fuzzy muppet says:

Will anyone have feed?

godot10:
    You are missing Taylor Chorney from the OKC list, who is around 70 games.(And Alex Plante, 10 games; Colten Teubert, 24 games, and technically, Theo Peckham, Corey Potter, Phil Larsson, etc)

Teubert’s there, I didn’t include Chroney and others because they’re really Springfield Falcons.

34. kinger_OIL says:

– Hey: I’m just bitter the Jays are likely done after 2 home games, after letting their stars party for a weekend after clinching, and the two starting pitchers on 10 days rest.

– As for the AHL, I’m just trying to quantify what LT deems “fantastic” in terms of the potential. I see no reasonable promise of a Lander-type emerging as outer-marker in 5 years, save Drai, from this group of 2nd year AHL forwards.

– Eberle-RNH-Hall has always worked (but all new coaches seem to fight). They must be able to find a 2nd line behind them when Ebs is back.

godot10: Develop them as centres.You can never have too many centres.

Amen.

Develop them so their first instinct is to back check hard, fast and deep.

I don’t think Yakimov ever plays C for the Oilers… maybe when he’s 27…. but he’ll play a lot for the Oilers if they develop him as a C.

36. Centre of attention says:

godot10,

So even if Yakupov starts to score a bit going forwards[with 3rd line minutes] and the top 6 is doing a whole bunch of nothing with Purcell/Korpikoski playing RW we just twiddle our thumbs until Eberle is back? I don’t think its a massive deal to just try it. I’m sure McLellan is just letting Yak marinate and making him extremely hungry so when he gets his shot he owns it.

I think Yak’s sh*t-disturbing ability and his shooting prowess are too tantalizing to resist. Roy was successful with Yakupov when Roy carried the puck and dished to Yak for the 1 timers/tap-ins. I don’t think Yakupov needs to be the primary puck carrier.

Pouliot-McDavid could carry the puck and do the breakout with Yak coming in late. Then Yak can lurk in the slot just drifting before setting up for a 1-timer from McDavid/Pouliot cycling behind the net. Pouliot then assumes net front presence whenever the puck moves back to the line for a point shot, with Yak joining the cycle and messing with opponents whenever he’s not setting up for a shot.

I’m not a coach so obviously I’m assuming it would work that way [can’t know for sure], but I think I have a point with Yak not needing to be the primary puck carrier on his line. In fact Yakupov gets a bit too fancy when he trys to break it into the offensive zone himself, usually turning it over. So I would almost rather have him NOT be the one carrying it, instead being complementary and using his assets [shot, sassy-ness] the most effective way.

kinger_OIL:
    – As for the AHL, I’m just trying to quantify what LT deems “fantastic” in terms of the potential.I see no reasonable promise of a Lander-type emerging as outer-marker in 5 years, save Drai, from this group of 2nd year AHL forwards.

Bogdan Yakimov. He’s an excellent prospect. I would absolutely argue he could end up being a solid NHL player in a few seasons.

38. kinger_OIL says:

– at .500 ppg, not according to our swede friend with all his work done on rookie seasons in various leagues, as I recall (but I do recall things badly)

– But I’m not taking anything away from this LT: its awesome to monitor, to be sure. We are all Fans!

39. Mr DeBakey says:

Woodguy: No boards!
    Plexiglass to the ice!

Pah, that’s nuthin.
    The St Paul Civic Center, home of the WHA’s Minnesota Fighting Saints, had no wooden boards at all.

kinger_OIL:

– But I’m not taking anything away from this LT: its awesome to monitor, to be sure.We are all Fans!

Evan Campbell 1-1-2 in his game tonight.

Mr DeBakey: Pah, that’s nuthin.

I had a photo of Mike Antonovich years ago in that Fighting Saints uniform playing there. Really cool.

43. G Money says:

Just for fun, I would like to see the Condors at some point run DryYakHair up front and Nurse and Musil on D.

44. Ryan says:

One thing gnawing at me is slepyshev’s size.

On the Oilers website, he’s listed as 6’2, 187 lb.

The first thing Chiarelli said about him recently in a Gregor interview was, “6’2 218 lbs.”

Now, I don’t have to be Kinger Oil to point out the 31 lb disparity.

You’d expect the GM to know. Which one is it?

45. Centre of attention says:

G Money:

Cool idea for a d pair. That would free Nurse up to do his thing and jump up like he loves to. Could be a good idea in the NHL to stick Nurse with a more stay at home guy too.

46. Moose says:

No Nikitin, No Scribbles.

Someone on Twitter (can’t recall whom) mentioned that they were still sorting out US work visas. Not sure if that’s been resolved yet. Of course there’s still the Nikitin to KHL chatter as well.

Eric Rodgers ‏@ericrsports 24s25 seconds ago
    Curtis Hamilton with 8:33 of ice time in his HC Sparta Praha debut. Held pointless while putting up 2 PIM and a -1.

Sooooooo, Mike Commodore had an interesting tweet:

@commie22: 3-0 nothin Babs you posing arrogant piece of shit. Welcome back to the rink where everyone that met you hates you. ?

Ok then.

Ryan:
    One thing gnawing at me is slepyshev’s size.

On the Oilers website, he’s listed as 6’2, 187 lb.

Now, I don’t have to be Kinger Oil to point out the 31 lb disparity.

You’d expect the GM to know.Which one is it?

He’s been reported at 217 in various places. Suspect it’ll be updated.

Woodguy:
    Sooooooo, Mike Commodore had an interesting tweet:

Ok then.

Wow. Wow.

51. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy:
    Sooooooo, Mike Commodore had an interesting tweet:

Ok then.

Alcohol and Twitter make strange bedfellows.

52. G Money says:

Guess the LT household must be a bit morose tonight.

The Greenies are demonstrating an astonishing level of incompetence on both sides of the ball.

Scott Wheeler ‏@scottcwheeler 8s8 seconds ago
    With Alex DeBrincat’s four goals tonight, he now has 10 (seriously) goals and two assists in four games. #2016NHLDraft

54. Centre of attention says:

The Oilers have to draft that kid. He’s a right shot and has chemistry with McDavid. Where do you think he gets picked?

G Money:
    Guess the LT household must be a bit morose tonight.

She’s already talking offseason. It’s over, thank God.

Centre of attention:

No idea. Red Line had him No. 17 in the summer.

hunter1909: Alcohol and Twitter make strange bedfellows.

Please tell me you’re on twitter.

58. Henry says:

Woodguy:
    Sooooooo, Mike Commodore had an interesting tweet:

Ok then.

Spoken like a fine Fort Saskatchewan boy.

Henry: Spoken like a fine Fort Saskatchewan boy.

Complete sentences, used a period.

60. Eastern Oil says:

Lowetide: Miles too early to write off Yakimov as an NHL player. Any measure that excludes Yakimov from being a possible future NHL player after his two post-draft seasons can’t be regarded seriously. Seriously.

Especially with him starting to hit his stride before his injury last year. Hopefully that was the real player emerging. One can only hope!

61. Suntory Hanzo says:

LT… Comma splicing like a boss

62. jfry says:

Scott Wheeler ‏@scottcwheeler8s8 seconds ago

if mcdavid starts slows (especially if eichel start fast), we’re going to hear a lot of “who was zooming who?”

this really is an amazing start to the season though. not following the OHL very closely, do the Otters play in a particular weak division?

Welp, I can’t find a radio OR a video feed.

64. Oilanderp says:

hockeystreams has it 🙂

*flaps his arms in a distinctly condor-like fashion*

65. MrEd says:

Dylan Larkin with a beautiful first goal tonight. What a joy. Man.

66. böök¡je says:

Mike Commodore has gone on and on this evening. What’s the history with Babcock?

67. steveb12344 says:

Woodguy:
    Sooooooo, Mike Commodore had an interesting tweet:

Ok then.

Maybe he’s a Blue Jays fan too.

68. Oilanderp says:

Nurse’s jersey number tonight? 4.

69. Woogie63 says:

Condor’s game time… Feed is not HD

Dry is #26
    Leleggia #13

70. Oilanderp says:

Curtis Hamilton playing in the Czech league

71. MrEd says:

Did Halls dad really wear a Toronto jacket at the game yesterday?

72. MrEd says:

Kane. He’s so ruthless. Game winner.

73. Pouzar says:

Miller-Draisaitl-Pakarinen with a nice shift. Lots of ozone time there.

Brossoit with a breakaway save early

74. striatic says:

Leafs lose! Leafs lose! Leafs lose!

Watching the Leafs lose has sustained me through many a winter of terrible Oilers hockey. I cannot fully imagine the joy and the thrill of Edmonton playing decent enough hockey while Toronto remains terrible, but I am beginning to get an inkling.

75. JDï™ says:

MrEd:
    Kane.He’s so ruthless.Game winner.

If there’s a team that you don’t want to give a PP to in OT, that would be the Hawks.

76. pocession charge says:

MrEd:
    Did Halls dad really wear a Toronto jacket at the game yesterday?

Yes he did. I thought that was pretty low class. If my son played for the Flames, even I would be decked out in red. Seriously, wear a goddamn Snuggy before wearing another team’s jacket to your son’s NHL hockey game.

77. Pouzar says:

Beauty pass from Nurse to spring Pitlick on a break…and of course he misses

78. Oilanderp says:

Friday is “free breakaways to everyone” night in Bakersfield apparently.

79. Pouzar says:

Man Oesterle’s wheels are unreal. He Nurse on the 2nd PP unit looked really good.

80. BONVIE says:

Where is there a feed?

81. Pouzar says:

Nurse with a real nice rush and almost tucks it in backhand/forehand. Silly speed

82. Woogie63 says:

BONVIE,

AHL app… Small fee per game

83. Woogie63 says:

Pouzar,

Nurse, Yakimov LB and Kahaira all playing well

84. Pouzar says:

Drai penalty shot upcoming

85. Oilanderp says:

PENALTY SHOT!

What a goalie battle!

86. Pouzar says:

Stoned.

87. Centre of attention says:

Max Domi with his first ever NHL point on a goal by OEL. This kid is good at the hockey. Yotes up 2 nothing over the kings at the end of the first.

88. Pouzar says:

OMG Drai sets up Ford with that backhand again. Stoned

Shots 25-16

89. Oilanderp says:

This is a damn good game!

90. Pouzar says:

Yakimov had possession for about 10 seconds in the corner there.

Leggs with a couple nice rushes. And guess what….he’s fast too.

91. dustrock says:

Looking real good for an opening game in the AHL.

The Drai-Pak Man-Miller Lite line looking good. Moroz being a (good) presence.

92. Pouzar says:

Woogie63:
    Pouzar,

Nurse, Yakimov LB andKahaira all playing well

Yup. Drai was unreal in the 2nd too. That sprint to the loose puck preceding the PS is required viewing for those who still think he is slow.

93. Lloyd B. says:

Miller – Draisaitl – Pakarinen
    Hamilton – Yakimov – Pitlick
    Moroz – McRae – Ford
    Christoffer – Khaira – Platzer

The three with a serious shot…..Draisaitl..as a McD winger instead of Purcell ( once Eberle is back ), Pakarinen for Gazdic, and Yakimov for Klink. The rest … with all due respect to these young men who are obviously great hockey players…crickets.

94. Centre of attention says:

Domi with his first ever NHL goal. 1 G 1 A now. Kid is unreal. Wish I could watch the Condors though!

95. Centre of attention says:

Rieder with his first goal of the season. Has an assist too. Coyotes up 4-0 on the Kings. But the kings are out shooting the Coyotes by 19-10

96. jfry says:

man, that rieder guy would look good on the yak/lander line.

97. Ice Sage says:

Centre of attention:

What the hell is going on with LA / Quick?
    Culture issues, must be

98. Centre of attention says:

Quick looks like he’s playing injured. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s got groin muscle issues due to all those full-splits post-to-post saves he makes. Smith on the other hand looks sharp against a heavy kings forcheck

Lloyd B.: Just getting to the blog tonight so this may be covered by others as I haven’t read all the comments yet. As Rex says post, post , post. ( Or something like that ). At this point I see three guys with a real shot as long term Oilers. The rest… trade bait or short term injury call ups.

The three with a serious shot…..Draisaitl..as a McD winger instead of Purcell ( once Eberle is back ), Pakarinen for Gazdic, and Yakimov for Klink.The rest …with all due respect to these young men who are obviously great hockey players…crickets.

And the defense? Goal?

100. Lloyd B. says:

Lowetide: Nurse – LaLeggia
    Hunt – Oesterle
    Musil – Pageau

To follow up with my previous post on the forwards with a chance asd full time Oilers.

Nurse clearly replaces Ference ( He’s on the roster dammit ) Leggy may replace Fayne despite their differences in playing styles.

Depending on how the Leggy Nurse pairing ( If Leggy Nurse thing becomes a thing I lay claim to the MEME )

The rest..again..trade bait or short term call ups are very good hockey players that are not going to make this Oilers team in my view.

101. Centre of attention says:

Lloyd B.,

I doubt very much Joey LaLeggia replaces a Mark-Fayne style player on the RH side with Justin Schultz already on the roster.

So you think Brossoit is trade bait? Eetu? Get a grip.

102. Pouzar says:

The Drai line picked up where they left off. All over the Griffs.

LB flashes the leather

103. Woogie63 says:

dustrock:
    Looking real good for an opening game in the AHL.

The Drai-Pak Man-Miller Lite line looking good.Moroz being a (good) presence.

Agreed

104. Pouzar says:

How the **** did Moroz not score there?

105. Oilanderp says:

Misplay by Griffins goalie behind the net and Moroz somehow couldn’t bury it into the empty cage. Still 0s.

106. Oilanderp says:

Shots 29-17 condors with 15 mins to go.

107. dustrock says:

Broissoit looks legit

108. Pouzar says:

dustrock:
    Broissoit looks legit

Yup. Those pads are like pinball flippers.

109. Oilanderp says:

Wow these 2 teams are good.

“93 degrees in Bakersfield today”, the play by play guy says… haha

110. Pouzar says:

Khaira is a bull.

111. Pouzar says:

Well the Condors have their own Dancin Gabe it looks like.

112. Oilanderp says:

Good work by Khaira on the boards in the O-zone …makes a poor pass but picks up the bobble by his opponent and drives a backhand to the net from 5′ out. Another good save by MacCollum.

113. dustrock says:

Khaira looking good

114. dustrock says:

Oh man

115. Pouzar says:

Condor PP

116. Pouzar says:

Nice gap control by Nurse there before that Miller rush.

117. Oilanderp says:

Great speed by Miller down the wing and around the net feeding a pass to Ford point blank,…. another great save. Ford took one high and Condors PP ensues.

118. dustrock says:

Crowd pleaser drunk guy putting in work

119. Woogie63 says:

Draisaitl, Yakimov and Kahaira three BIG Centers playing well

120. Woogie63 says:

Our best players tonight are “heavy” players

121. Oilanderp says:

Holy crap no pt in describing this action its END TO END!

122. Lloyd B. says:

I don’t type as fast as you can read. 🙂 As such I have since posted my D with my thoughts on those that have a real shot.

On the goalers. Dogs breakfast. Really like the two (small sample guys) we have going into this year. What do I know though? Liked last years too!! That didn’t work out so well. Both out of the league.

My gut is liking Brossoit if they continue develop him properly. He’s good to go as backup very soon. More important in my view is that goalers are where you can make up some cap room. Keep drafting the buggers in the late rounds ( 3 at the earliest ) and hope a solid back up turns up every four years..starter every 6. Get a number one goaler..Talbot?..signed for 6 years at 4M?? and rotate backups until the next one shows up and trade your number current one.

123. leadfarmer says:

Too bad the greatest Condors moment has already happened. It will be hard to top this.

124. Pouzar says:

What a game. Wow.

The passing by the Condors has been f^ckin excellent.

125. Pouzar says:

Drai with the trip…goin off for 2

126. dustrock says:

leadfarmer:
    Too bad the greatest Condors moment has already happened.It will be hard to top this.

One of the greatest things of all time. Draisaitl in the box

127. Pouzar says:

And Whitey Bulger pulls the plug on the lights.

jfry:
    man, that rieder guy would look good on the yak/lander line.

He’d look good in Purcell’s or Korpse’s spot right now.

Saw something on twitter (have no idea of its veracity) that the hang up between the Oilers and Reider wasn’t opportunity, but 100K signing bonus.

Tamby drew the line in the sand and traded him for Kessey.

If that’s true…….

Man

129. Oilanderp says:

Weird. Arena lights went out while Griffins on PP. Back on 5 seconds later.

130. Pouzar says:

Nurse just did a spinorama in the Off Zone and got off a wicked back hand.

131. Oilanderp says:

Nurse does at least his 3rd spin-o-rama of the game haha, this time across the o-zone blue line after a fake slap…. weak backhand drifted on net.

132. Oilanderp says:

Pouzar:
    Nurse just did a spinorama in the Off Zone and got off a wicked weak back hand.

Fixed 🙂

133. Ice Sage says:

dustrock: One of the greatest things of all time. Draisaitl in the box

… so da Fräulein said…

There it is, finally.

135. Pouzar says:

ANd there it is.

1-0

Miller from Pak

136. Oilanderp says:

SCOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRREEEEEESSSSSSS!

Miller stuffs the rebound after Pakarinen carries it to the net off the rush!

137. Centre of attention says:

Woodguy,

Your telling me Oilers management pulled another comrie fiasco over a 100k signing bonus!?!

138. blainer says:

My Gord about time.. What a game ..

139. Oilanderp says:

McCollum stones Khaira on breakaway!

140. Pouzar says:

Wow…that was a crazy sequence.

141. Pouzar says:

Video review. Could be tied

142. dustrock says:

Brossoit whaaaaaaat

143. Oilanderp says:

Wow! Griffins think they scored after pt shot took a hop off the back boards and a bank attempt off of Brossiot appeared to maybe go in ….. VIDEO REVIEW!

144. Pouzar says:

Oilanderp:
    SCOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRREEEEEESSSSSSS!

Miller stuffs the rebound after Pakarinen carries it to the net off the rush!

Miller fed Pak after the gaining the zone. Good on Pak for going to the net and Miller to follow.

145. Oilanderp says:

And instead of watching the replay for ourselves, the wonderful video crew treats us to children… dancing.

146. Oilanderp says:

40s left.

147. dustrock says:

Instead of a big black blur, I see a big white blur

148. blainer says:

Our Goaltending looks real deep…Finally !!

149. Pouzar says:

No goal

150. Oilanderp says:

I’m not sure which I like more… children dancing or a bird flapping its wings,…… NO GOAL!

151. dustrock says:

No goal!

152. Pouzar says:

LB Shutout B!tches!

Win!

154. Oilanderp says:

Osterle Nurse Khaira Pitlick and ? on the ice for the own zone faceoff with 6s left….

CONDORS WIN! What a game!

155. Pouzar says:

3 Stars

3. McColloum
    2. LB
    1. Miller

156. Pouzar says:

Around 6k attendance tonight. Quite a diff from OKC.

Thanks for the updates gents. Fun to follow!

158. Oilanderp says:

Just think of the things that could happen once we put our #1 d-man in! Note: He is NOT out of shape.

159. Pouzar says:

Eric Rodgers ‏@ericrsports 22m22 minutes ago
    5,169 the announced attendance in Bakersfield. #Condors #Oilers

160. Lloyd B. says:

Centre of attention:
    Lloyd B.,

So you think Brossoit is trade bait? Eetu? Get a grip.

Ummm. This was my thought on defence. Goalers were a later post. My grip is just fine thanks.

161. Younger Oil says:

Wow, just heard that Larkin is the first teenager to crack Detroit’s opening night lineup in 12 years.

That is just insane to me. Hope we can get to that point some day.

162. Centre of attention says:

Lloyd B.,

Your filling in your opinion after making sweeping statements. Try being more specific to start, it will avoid confusion. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

163. Zack says:

Imagine facing a line of…

Moroz – Khaira – Chase with Nurse on defense, they would tear it up. Physically not offensively.

Thanks for the play by play!

164. 719 says:

Always nice to beat the old coach. Nelson’s team was prepared out there as usual, but Condors are serving notice they are one of the better teams in the AHL this year.

Kudos to the Condors for winning!!

165. Lloyd B. says:

Centre of attention:
    Lloyd B.,

No worries. I can’t type as fast as I think. For certain, not as fast as this blog moves !!

166. Yeti says:

Pouzar:
    LB Shutout B!tches!

167. Bruce McCurdy says:

Yeti: Thanks for all the updates Pouzar. It’s great to sit here and read through them on a crisp Helsinki morning!

168. Hockey Buddha says:

The Smid for Brossoit deal was much maligned by many when it happened by Oiler fans. Brossoit is looking like a very legit prospect; I’m hoping he continues to play well and develop. Poor Smid is still out after neck surgery from last season; here’s hoping he makes a full recovery and can return to the Flame’s line up. It’s the Smid’s second neck surgery. Not good. Always admired his heart and hate to see him injured.

169. böök¡je says:

Woodguy: He’d look good in Purcell’s or Korpse’s spot right now.

Tamby drew the line in the sand and traded him for Kessey.

If that’s true…….

Man

My God, if this is true, it could mean Tambellini was a terrible GM!!

170. Ryan says:

Bruce McCurdy: Yeah, thanks Pouzar and all who commented on the Condors game. I wasn’t able to participate here but I did watch this (outstanding!) game and wrote this report over at Cult of Hockey.

I just read the first sentence… Nicely done sir!

171. Big Dan says:

Hockey Buddha,

I was not one of the detractors. I was thrilled with that trade. Laurent Broissoit is a confident, hard working goalie who will be just as good as Devan Dubnyk. People thought I was nuts when I said so at the time. We also got Roman Horak in that deal – don’t forget about him. This guy just needs to fill out. He’s smart, fast, and has soft hands – he will be an NHLer as a Pisani-type. I hope the Oilers hang on to his rights long enough to see that (but he’s not a “heavy type”). That deal was awesome.

Speaking of Dubnyk, I am happy for him. He’s back to having a decent career as a low-end #1 goalie. But Talbot is much better; I was to the moon that the Oilers are about to get the best goaltending they’ve had since Cujo left.

I was happy that we got Hendricks for Dubnyk when Doobie was a complete mess. I saw Hendricks in that interview after the Blue game a couple nights ago. Just love that guy! I’ve heard he is the most popular guy in the dressing room and he was a breath of fresh air since the day he arrived. Oilers badly needed grit and leadership and he provides that in spades.

MacT made some serious boner moves, like passing over Khudonin for Labarbera and ‘challenging’ some Petry guy- but he should get credit for the two Perron moves, the 2013 draft, and the above two trades. It’s too bad any good he did was negated by his goalie gambles that didn’t turn out and he made the D WORSE, not better.

But then, we wouldn’t have Chiarelli or McLellan or McDavid. So woot! Go Oilers. 4-3 ot win tonight on HNIC.

172. jm363561 says:

====

Made you wonder about McD / Yak. End of iPad finger tap.

(As expected, after St L. I love Reinhart as much as Lander).

173. Pouzar says:

My pleasure. It was a heckuva game and I am happy they got the victory for that crowd. They seem to be genuinely excited. Cheers.

jm363561: Airport lounge. Delayed flight. Watched YouTube video of Gretzky / Kurri – pass, whack, goal. Wash, rinse, repeat. Never saw either of them in Edmonton, sigh.

Made you wonder about McD / Yak. End of iPad finger tap.

(As expected, after St L. I love Reinhart as much as Lander).

Yakupov is still a project, who lost 1.5 seasons of development because of a bad coach. People have to be patient. He is going to get time with McDavid and Hall on the powerplay, but stapled to Lander is the best place for him at even strength this season.

Yakupov is really close to generating offense for his own line. Last year with Roy showed that he benefited from stability and predictability in deployment. He won’t over-defer to Lander, like he tends to do when being pushed up the lineup. And Lander is a rock defensively, compared to the centres he has been forced to play with, with means he won’t be racking up the minuses which inevitably deflate his own and the coach’s confidence in him.

godot10: Jari Kurri (and Esa Tikkanen) were elite defensive players (pretty much out of the box), in addition to being elite offensive players.

Yakupov is still a project, who lost 1.5 seasons of development because of a bad coach.People have to be patient.He is going to get time with McDavid and Hall on the powerplay, but stapled to Lander is the best place for him at even strength this season.

Yakupov is really close to generating offense for his own line.Last year with Roy showed that he benefited from stability and predictability in deployment. He won’t over-defer to Lander, like he tends to do when being pushed up the lineup.And Lander is a rock defensively, compared to the centres he has been forced to play with, with means he won’t be racking up the minuses which inevitably deflate his own and the coach’s confidence in him.

This all day long

176. Pouzar says:

Thx Bruce. Great report. Glad you saw that Nurse spinarama-backhand like I did. He definitely tested the goalie there. More importantly it was another display of his freakish athletic ability. I loved his game last night especially the gap control. Thought he had a nice PP with Oesterle in the first period. That’s one fast pair.

Drai was very good like you said. That sprint to the puck was ridiculous. He literally blew by the defender there. There was one sweet backhand feed he made off the rush to Ford that was so frickin soft and on the money my 5 yr old could have received it.

Khaira is going to be a fav of Chia. No doubt about it. He is the very definition of “heavy game” plus he has some piss and vinegar mixed into that body as well. Love the player he is developing into.

Brossoit? The best compliment I can give him is that when GR were all over us it didn’t really look like they had a chance to score. Perfect positioning and cool as a cucumber. And man those reflexes when the situation calls for it. A++ imo. Picked up right where he left off last year.

Christoffer is a hockey player. Plain and simple he gets it. He has enough skill where he is a threat to score but will always play with that controlled aggression that will, by nature, get under the other teams skin(as Bruce mentioned he drew 2 penalties last night). And he’s not afraid to mix it up post whistle to back up teammates which is a “skill” that’s been lacking with the big team for ages.

I would be remiss not to mention Pak and Miller. They were excelllent and kudos to Fleming for that line construction. I dunno what the corgis for that line was but I am not sure GF wants to know. They were dominate against, by all accounts, one of the top AHL teams.

Overall this game was nuts. Maybe the best AHL game I have ever seen. I am even more hyped for Nov 20 when the Condors role into the Peg. Will Nurse/Drai still be around? We wait.