LEON DRAISAITL AND THE SHELTER PEOPLE

The Edmonton Oilers were 0-3 on their road trip and one assumes they have answered some of the early questions about this roster. I have a few of my own:

• Does this team have enough offense with Jordan Eberle on IR and Leon Draisaitl in Bakersfield?
  • Did they overestimate Lauri Korpikoski’s ability to play a complementary offensive role?
  • Can Matt Hendricks replace him as a ‘skill option’ on the 1line or 2line?
  • With Yakopov now on McDavid’s line, does that mean Anton Lander will receive a skilled winger from the minors?
  • Is Anton Slepyshev able to contribute enough in his (ever smaller) minutes?
  • Have we had an update on Jordan Eberle’s ETA?
  • One of Edmonton’s issues is holding possession in the offensive zone. Did Leon show us enough in that look-see to be a legit option on the wing?
  • Peter Chiarelli and Todd McLellan mentioned that Leon should stay in the minors until he’s ready. Should that remain the case, even if Draisaitl can help at the NHL level?
  • Iiro Pakarinen looks very good early in Bakersfield (I had Scott Zerr on the show today and he raved about him). Is Pakarinen a better choice than Leon (should the organization decide to make a move)?
  • If Todd McLellan can’t find a fifth for Eric Gryba among Griffin Reinhart, Brandon Davidson and Andrew Ference, does Darnell Nurse eventually enter the conversation?

draisatl millerAndrew Miller has the only Bakersfield goal and it’s early early but the CHL stats folks have a very cool item up at their website. It’ll estimate TOI and other things and it is here. One item that caught my eye (although it’s also available on the AHL site) is individual shots on goal after two games:

• Iiro Pakarinen 9
  • Phil McRae 7
  • Darnell Nurse 5
  • Andrew Miller 5
  • Leon Draisaitl 4
  • Matt Ford 4

I think McLellan is going to like Pakarinen. That shot total is no fluke, either. He posted 125 shots in 39 games (3.21 per game) a year ago. He’s an interesting option for the Oilers if Slepyshev continues to move down the depth chart.

pakarinen condors

I’m looking forward to this season, despite the 0-3 start. The schedule is heavy early but that should mean clean air at some point, and by then Todd McLellan should be locked and loaded. I don’t have any idea (honestly) how he’s going to make this defense work, but for me one of his six best options is in Bakersfield—and I think there’s a damn good forward there who can help, too.

I know it’s a season of building, hell men I get that all day. I would respectfully suggest Peter Chiarelli and Todd McLellan would be wise to win a few in the next month or two.

104 Responses to "LEON DRAISAITL AND THE SHELTER PEOPLE"

1. böök¡je says:

I think that Oiler fans will give Chiarelli and Mclellan time to find their way and turn this team around. Lots of patience around here.

(sounds of pitchforks being sharpened in the distance)

2. JDï™ says:

Nine teams winless after three, and most of them bleeding goal differential:

3. Jasmine says:

böök¡je:
    I think that Oiler fans will give Chiarelli and Mclellan time to find their way and turn this team around.Lots of patience around here.

(sounds of pitchforks being sharpened in the distance)

Oilers fans have no patience Go to HF and they have the pitchforks out for Hall and wanting him traded even if it’s for the other team’s garbage.

4. Jasmine says:

JDï™,

But only the Oilers are getting criticized to death and fans wanting Hall traded and bashing him over at HF and wanted him traded for draft picks or the other team’s junk.

5. Ribs says:

Ya think? I’m still amazed he made the opening day lineup. And we sent away Gordon for this guy.

I’d leave Leon in Bakersfield and let him gain some ground there, first.

Pakarinen is probably worth a shot. I wouldn’t expect much, though.

6. Loyal2theoil says:

This fricken Jays game though!!

Joey Bats is Eberle level clutch!!!

7. leadfarmer says:

Ribs,

Yeah I still don’t get that trade. Gordon had a year left and u could unload him at the trade deadline. Instead they got a waiver wire level player with a two year contract

8. JDï™ says:

Jasmine:
    JDï™,

Hopefully we can get a win soon to relieve some pressure…

checks schedule

What’s the over/under for home games until a jersey hits the ice?

9. Mr DeBakey says:

“If Todd McLellan can’t find a fifth for Eric Gryba among Griffin Reinhart, Brandon Davidson and Andrew Ference, does Darnell Nurse eventually enter the conversation?”

Davidson had the 2nd best ES FF% for the “struggling” Oilers last night! [Tho’ not necessarily with Gryba]

* * *

“Did they overestimate Lauri Korpikoski’s ability to play a complementary offensive role?”

They better not have; a firing offense that should be.
    And, Teddy Purcell says Hi. [At least Korpikoski’s inability is commensurate with his Cap Hit.]

* * *
    Let’s try another query:
    Did they overestimate Todd McLellan’s ability to Coach an underpowered team to victory?

10. JDï™ says:

Mr DeBakey: They better not have; a firing offense that should be.

I think everyone wants the offense firing.

😉

11. spoiler says:

That 7th in the Jays game might be the most unbelievable inning of post-season baseball I have ever seen. I can remember some amazing half innings, but that whole inning was truly historical. Now we chew nails.

12. Cameron says:

spoiler:
    That 7th in the Jays game might be the most unbelievable inning of post-season baseball I have ever seen.I can remember some amazing half innings, but that whole inning was truly historical.Now we chew nails.

No question the craziest MLB game I’ve ever seen.
    From the call on Martin, to the three straight throwing errors, to Joey Bats going upper deck.

Unbelievable

13. Picturesque says:

Is that Jays game what Oilers playoff hockey is going to feel like? Sign me up. 9 years and counting…

14. RexLibris says:

JDï™: CBJ fans are pretty upset, as is their GM. Pens fans are not very happy, and Bruins fans are pretty close to a full scale revolt.

Hopefully we can get a win soon to relieve some pressure…

checks schedule

What’s the over/under for home games until a jersey hits the ice?

Relax.

They’ll start a nine-game win streak Saturday.

*fidgets nervously*

15. Sugar Reijo says:

spoiler:

Absolutely surreal.

The seventh inning took 57 minutes to play.

16. Centre of attention says:

Moves that need to be made before November in order of importance:

1. Send Slepyshev down, especially if your going to slash his minutes.

2. Waive Davidson. He might get snatched but sh*t happens. If he doesn’t, great that’s more depth

3. Play Rienhart every night. Preferably not with Gryba or Fayne or Ference. No clue how this one shakes out.

4. Call up Pakarinen

5. Make a trade. I’m not talking block buster trade involving the core. I’m talking a small one. Grab a guy who can play bottom pair consistently with Rienhart, no more carousel. Grab a 3rd line Forward to replace Hendricks if you insist on playing him top line [please no]. It will give the gathering hordes of concerned fans/media something to chew on while you work on figuring this team out. Hell, you might even make the team better.

6. Update on Eberle. Even just the usual say something without saying anything at all sort of thing.

17. square_wheels says:

Ummm I gotta ask the question, what the fuck are the Jays celebrating ?

Could you imagine a hockey team going off like this after gaining a birth in the conference finals ? Gator keeping himself 3ft from that Conference trophy is etched in my mind, if someone wanted to party with that trophy he would have punched them in the face.

Settle down Jays Nation, you’ve “won” nothing.

Great game though.

Cubs rule !

square_wheels:
    Ummm I gotta ask the question, what the fuck are the Jays celebrating ?

Settle down Jays Nation, you’ve “won” nothing.

Great game though.

Cubs rule !

The pennant is a big deal. I agree this celebration isn’t important, it’s the next series that has immense value

19. square_wheels says:

It’s clearly 160+ games of build up unleashed but when you win the pennant celebrate like this.

Does any other sport go off like this ? That last interview was gold, Hazel had no clue what he said.

20. v4ance says:

square_wheels:
    Ummm I gotta ask the question, what the fuck are the Jays celebrating ?

Settle down Jays Nation, you’ve “won” nothing.

Great game though.

Cubs rule !

In a sense, they’re celebrating the fact they overcame a very iffy call in the top of the 7th and came back to win. Emotions were very strained between the clubs and the relief and joy for the come from behind win is understandable.

21. square_wheels says:

Cueto is a joy to watch, Lordy does he switch up his delivery like no others.

22. JDï™ says:

RexLibris: *fidgets nervously*

You might want to take up smoking.

Until Draisaitl can get a point in the AHL, it is presumptuous to think that he can help the OIlers offensively. When he cruising along at 0.8 PPG, then we can start talking about Draisaitl.

Keep Draisaitl and Nurse away from the tire fire, as least until it is just smouldering and not raging. I think Nurse is a lot closer than Draisailt.

Pakarinen and Miller are the logical candidates for call-ups for forwards.

24. Sugar Reijo says:

square_wheels:
    Ummm I gotta ask the question, what the fuck are the Jays celebrating ?

Settle down Jays Nation, you’ve “won” nothing

Toronto fans going way over the top — and in other news, fire remains hot.

But seriously, God help us if the Leafs ever win a cup.

25. Магия 10 says:

v4ance: It’s kind of like that game against LA where every call went against the Oilers and Yak scored to seal the win anyways for the big “Screw you! You aren’t stealing this from us!”

Pretty much the Bauitista bat flip.

26. square_wheels says:

v4ance,

Ummm ok, do you think Yak and the boys emptied the coolers on each other after that game ? I think this could be the most over the top and ridiculous celebration I’ve ever seen, for what amounts to nothing the record books will ever remember.

But I’m happy for them, don’t misconstue this for hating please.

27. square_wheels says:

Sugar Reijo,

I’d arm myself and barricade the neighbourhood like a zombie apocalypse.

28. Магия 10 says:

Sugar Reijo: Absolutely surreal.

The seventh inning took 57 minutes to play.

That was the Heinz 57 of baseball innings.

29. square_wheels says:

square_wheels:
    Cueto is a joy to watch, Lordy does he switch up his delivery like no others.

Reverse psychology works – 2 run shot, come on Astro’s !

30. Sugar Reijo says:

square_wheels:
    Sugar Reijo,

I’d arm myself and barricade the neighbourhood like a zombie apocalypse.

No, see, that’s how they get you. If World War Z taught me nothing else it’s you got to keep moving in those situations. If you can find passage to an air craft carrier in international waters, you take it. And then just pray they don’t have the CBC, TSN or Sportsnet.

31. Ribs says:

square_wheels: Ummm ok, do you think Yak and the boys emptied the coolers on each other after that game

I think the Jays do that after every game they win. Yayyyyyyyyy

32. G Money says:

Random Factoid 1:

DTMAboutHeart calculates xG (expected goals) that uses the probability of a shot going in (based on the WOI danger zones) for teams and players.

Based on his calculations, Taylor Hall is currently 10th in the league for xG.

33. square_wheels says:

Sugar Reijo,

Man I loved that book. I have 25 round banana clips for the Ruger 10/22…..for gopher shooting, or so I tell people. I’m bugging out to the mountains, zombies can’t climb to wear I sheep hunt, no chance!

34. square_wheels says:

Ribs,

Zoolander gas station scene just flashed through my mind.

35. G Money says:

Random Factoid 2:

Here is the level of competition faced by teams so far using last years 5v5 CF% as the measure of difficulty:

‘ ARIZONA ‘ 54.1
    ‘ DALLAS ‘ 48.0
    ‘ TAMPA BAY ‘ 48.0
    ‘ ST. LOUIS ‘ 47.8
    ‘ MINNESOTA ‘ 47.4
    ‘ COLUMBUS ‘ 45.5
    ‘ OTTAWA ‘ 44.2

I can’t believe I missed this in the news.

Researchers trying to find a way keep pregnant women from getting malaria (apparently malaria attacks the placenta very vigorously) find out that the protein that malaria uses to embed itself in placental cells also embeds in cancer cells.

By combining anti-cancer toxins with the malaria protein they have stopped 3 kinds of cancer growth in mice and figure it will work on 95% of cancers.

The researchers say the mice showed no adverse side effects from the treatment and their organs were unharmed by it.

Wow.

37. SkatinginSand says:

Jasmine,

Great! In a couple of days we will be hearing how this dumpster fire is all the fault of the fans.

38. Mr DeBakey says:

G Money: Random Factoid 2:
    ‘ ARIZONA ‘ 54.1
    ‘ NY ISLANDERS ‘ 53.3

You should publish a weekly list using a rolling 80-game number

39. square_wheels says:

Woodguy,

Burying a coworker tomorrow, lung cancer took him in 6 mos. I hope this is the secret, malaria….who would have thought.

40. Mr DeBakey says:

Mr DeBakey: You should publish a weekly list using a rolling 80-game number

No, 80 is too many.
    That’ll tell us sweet FA
    Carry-on

41. One-Timer says:

square_wheels:
    Ummm I gotta ask the question, what the fuck are the Jays celebrating ?

Settle down Jays Nation, you’ve “won” nothing.

Great game though.

Cubs rule !

If the Oilers were to make it to the Conference Final a decade after the last cup run, you might actually lose your mind.

42. square_wheels says:

One-Timer,

I might, but i sure as hell hope the players don’t.

43. v4ance says:

One observation about the Stars was that they had a great scouting report that influenced their successful tactics which took full advantage of their team speed.

The Dallas zone entries into the neutral zone frequently had the puck carrier going up one side tight to the boards to draw the Oilers’ puck pressuring forwards closer to them. The nearest Oilers defenceman fronted the puck carrier and tried to guard against the straight ahead dump in while the other Edmonton defenceman usually played up the middle but still shaded towards the side of the initial puck carrier.

The Stars then made horizontal or diagonal passes to the far side winger who was going at full speed entering the offensive zone with another forward driving up the middle. Because of the Oilers aggression on the initial puck pursuit, they frequently had their forwards trapped behind the play in the neutral zone while the Stars came in with an odd man rushes across the Oilers blue line. Or the other common result was the middle defenceman was left scrambling to pivot and skate with the wide flying Dallas forwards.

I personally believe it was both a systems issue and a personnel issue for the Oilers last night. The centers and the far side wingers needed to do a better job at intercepting or blocking those cross ice passes. Plus once they saw the Stars tactics, the far side wingers should have played wider out to pinch off the far side faster once the passes went across.

44. Centre of attention says:

Good quality video. How many of the goals scored in that video are highlight-reel worthy? I count at least 10.

Wait until that guy is playing with 97 on the power play. Lordy.

I know, I know. I’m twisting the knife in the wound but damn this situation sucks.

45. G Money says:

Mr DeBakey: You should publish a weekly list using a rolling 80-game number

Can you take a moving average of a random factoid?

Usually you don’t see ‘difficulty of competition’ metrics until near the end of the season, when you’re trying to handicap the playoff race.

Let’s hope someday this calculation will be relevant to the Edmonite Oilers.

46. Numenius says:

square_wheels: Settle down Jays Nation, you’ve “won” nothing.

LA surely celebrated hard when they came back from the 0-3 deficit against the Sharks in what was also merely an opening series. Add to that that this was like the Oilers-Kings game where Yak scored, I don’t see your case.

47. Gret99zky says:

If they go 5-13-2 (thereabouts) Chia is going to have to seriously consider moving one of the top 6 kids for some help on the back end.

48. square_wheels says:

v4ance,

What’s frustrating is we have 2 1st overall wingers who apparently have no clue how to pickup a man on a rush. Setting aside all of the rhetoric, Yak not picking up Spezza on that go ahead goal is a defining moment for me, that’s not a coaching issue full stop. Hall on the other hand is barely ahead in D-zone awareness, although he seems capable, he’s been atrocious in possession so far. I give Hall the mulligan for being ill, but if this team is known for avoiding hard areas, Chia must shake this forward corp up or once again were done in November.

49. square_wheels says:

Numenius,

They celebrated on the ice, for 3 mins. The equivalent baseball celebration would have had them skating the rink holding their hands in the air with an invisible trophy for 20 mins.

CBJ is about to go 0-4-0 and their D was been worse than EDM.

This is where the Oilers trade for Jack Johnson right?

Chia : “Kek wants to trade us Jack Johnson for “X” ”

MacT: “Make em throw in Clarkson!”

51. G Money says:

Woodguy,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ouch.

52. Gret99zky says:

Personally I think there should be more partying and celebrating in the world. Not less. JMO.

53. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:
    I can’t believe I missed this in the news.

Wow.

And in mice implanted with three types of human tumors – the drug also showed varying degrees of success. In mice with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, the treated tumors shrank to a quarter of the size of untreated tumors.

With prostate cancer, the drug completely eliminated tumors in two of six treated mice within a month of administering the first dose, and with metastatic breast cancer, five of six treated mice were cured of the disease.

That last bit. Wow. Just freaking wow.

Raises questions about whether there would be any interference caused by sickle-cell anemia or other genetic factors.

But if it turns out that a malarial protein is the missing link to helping the drugs target cancer cells with that kind of specific success rate, we’ve got ourselves something just shy of a cure for a whole range of potentially fatal diseases.

Thanks for that link.

54. G Money says:

Stealth Nerd Alert – I published the little schedule factoid I posted up above.

Starting to get the hang of Rex’s ‘publish publish publish’!

55. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:
    CBJ is about to go 0-4-0 and their D was been worse than EDM.

This is where the Oilers trade for Jack Johnson right?

Chia : “Kek wants to trade us Jack Johnson for “X” ”

MacT: “Make em throw in Clarkson!”

To which Chiarelli gets back on the phone to Jarmo and says: “Sure, send us Johnson, but we have to insist you take Howson and Nikitin back”.

56. Gret99zky says:

Howson: I can personally vouch for Jack Johnson.

Chia: Shit.

Woodguy:
    CBJ is about to go 0-4-0 and their D was been worse than EDM.

This is where the Oilers trade for Jack Johnson right?

Chia : “Kek wants to trade us Jack Johnson for “X” ”

MacT: “Make em throw in Clarkson!”

“That would mean the world to Niki!”

58. RexLibris says:

G Money:
    Stealth Nerd Alert – I published the little schedule factoid I posted up above.

Starting to get the hang of Rex’s ‘publish publish publish’!

Drown them! Drown them in content and small-scale observations! Let their lungs burst under the weight of your varied findings! Mwhahahahahaha!

I don’t control the FN publishing schedule, so I just post stuff to the board and wait to see if it goes live. Probably a good thing otherwise I’d be spamming the intertubes with a metric tonne of random crap that flies between my ears on a regular basis.

59. RexLibris says:

Gret99zky:
    Howson:I can personally vouch for Jack Johnson.

Chia:Shit.

This is one of those situations where when your guy”vouches” for someone, you take him out back and put two “taps” between the eyes and shovel 6 feet out.

Maybe this is how it goes:

Chia : “Kek is on the line. Wants to shake up his roster, what do you think guys? Who would we want”

Howson: “Johnson!! He’s got Jeff Carter type worth!!”

MacT: “Make em throw in Clarkson!! Man I really thought I had him in 2013”

61. John Chambers says:

How is this start surprising to anyone? McLellan will break them down, then build them up, and we see a far more responsible team in the New Year.

Ultimately they need to finish the season strong with Nurse and Drai added to the lineup in spring, and probably trade the pick for a top defenseman in the offseason. It was foolish to expect any different.

62. v4ance says:

square_wheels,

I didn’t mind the celebration. Different sports, different standards. Look at some of the ridiculous celebrations after soccer goals.

I’m still a broken hearted Expos fan but I don’t begrudge the Jays their joy. First time in the playoffs in over 20 years, coming back from 2 games to nothing to win last 3 games, coming back from down 3-2 in the top of the 7th after a pretty sketchy call. To win it after that, go ahead, take it all in and enjoy it.

63. hunter1909 says:

square_wheels:
    Sugar Reijo,

I’d arm myself and barricade the neighbourhood like a zombie apocalypse.

That’s silly. Arm yourself with a bottle of strong drink(whisky works for me) take a couple of big gulps then go outside and mingle. Otherwise you’re likely to spend a paranoid evening, worrying about the window plants.

64. square_wheels says:

Royals / Astros game a good one.

65. RexLibris says:

G Money:
    Stealth Nerd Alert – I published the little schedule factoid I posted up above.

Starting to get the hang of Rex’s ‘publish publish publish’!

One thing I’d amend or note.

Diff/Sched is a worthy stat and using EVCF% is a good tool, but you might want to adjust for home/road impact as well.

Facing the 6th hardest schedule by EVCF% is one thing, facing it on the road means there’s an invisible hand on the scales as well.

Great information, though. Thanks for passing that along. Even though this perspective crap you keep spouting off is totally ruining my panic-buzz. Jerk. 🙂

RexLibris:
    That last bit. Wow. Just freaking wow.

Thanks for that link.

It’s unreal.

It’s the “no side effects cancen smart bomb” from science fiction.

67. Clay says:

Woodguy:
    I can’t believe I missed this in the news.

Wow.

Wow is right.

68. JDï™ says:

Sam Garner with his first of the season: https://streamable.com/126t

Beauty shot.

Gret99zky:
    Howson:I can personally vouch for Jack Johnson.

Chia:Shit.

Damn, you beat me to it.

Well done.

70. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:
    Maybe this is how it goes:

Howson: “Johnson!! He’s got Jeff Carter type worth!!”

MacT: “Make em throw in Clarkson!! Man I really thought I had him in 2013”

New assignments. Scott, you’ll be heading to Inner Mongolia, I hear there’s a kid there David Conte can’t stop raving about. MacT, could you do me a favour and zip down to pick up some coffee…in Ecuador. Take the team bus, I hear the drive is beautiful this time of year.

Now, back to the Jackets…so how’s that Murray kid working out, Kek?

71. Moose says:

I can’t think of anything more fitting, in talking about the this immensely frustrating team that we all love so much, that the thread turns to a discussion on cancer.

*sigh*

Seriously though, lost my dad many moons ago to squamous cell carcinoma. The medical breakthroughs in recent times have been so encouraging. If you get the chance, go watch the VICE special on “Killin Cancer.” There was some pretty extraordinary things on display (using the HIV virus to kill cancer cells, etc).

72. square_wheels says:

v4ance,

I’m a shit talking Cubs fan….that part shouldn’t go unnoticed 🙂

Hunter1909
    my go to move will always be some Wild Turkey and a lawn chair, no need to worry

73. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: It’s unreal.

It’s the “no side effects cancen smart bomb” from science fiction.

So long as Shkreli doesn’t price it out!

74. hunter1909 says:

Gret99zky: I’ll wait a few more games (20) but if the W’s don’t start coming is it fair to finally question the core make up of the team? I mean it can’t be the coaches again.

That’s what I’m planning. 20 games, nothing less.

I expected them to storm out from the starting blocks. Why shouldn’t a team with talent play well?

I thought the Canucks looked really solid in pre season. They’re making the playoffs easily.

In fact Oilers played pretty good in a way that they never did before. I only saw the last half of the 3rd period last night; they were chasing the play a little(understatement of the decade).

75. hunter1909 says:

square_wheels: I’m a shit talking Cubs fan….that part shouldn’t go unnoticed

I’m cheering for the Cubs too. While pretending to like the Blue Jays.

76. square_wheels says:

hunter1909,

The difference is I’m a terrible pretender (don’t care about grammar or spelling either).

77. Numenius says:

square_wheels: I’m a shit talking Cubs fan….that part shouldn’t go unnoticed

Ah, that explains it. 🙂

78. hunter1909 says:

RexLibris: That last bit. Wow. Just freaking wow.

It’s like expecting Connor McDavid to lead the Oilers to the playoffs.

*runs away laughing*

79. Frank the dog says:

hunter1909: That’s what I’m planning. 20 games, nothing less.

In fact Oilersplayed pretty good in a way that they never did before. I only saw the last half of the 3rd period last night; they were chasing the play a little(understatement of the decade).

Of course! Hall has bad body language and far too little eye shadow.

80. hunter1909 says:

Hopefully we can get a win soon to relieve some pressure…

checks schedule

What’s the over/under for home games until a jersey hits the ice?

No worries. Katz’s letter in the Edmonton Journal promised the fans Oilers will be contenders for “years and years” to come.

Come to think of it: He could have meant 2030-2037 as being the “years and years”.

Clever, clever man.

81. hunter1909 says:

Frank the dog,

Hall. What a slacker.

I can’t wait to see the underachieving prospects and low 1st round draft pick they get for him.

82. square_wheels says:

hunter1909,

Everyone’s worst fear, but I’d take the high road and move Yak for a D. At this point I just don’t see how he fits

83. Gret99zky says:

JDï™:

checks schedule

What’s the over/under for home games until a jersey hits the ice?

I always thought the jerseys were aimed at the Old Boys Club (which is almost boarded up) not the players.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

84. Gret99zky says:

Speaking of OBC those Messier McDavid phone spots are gold.

“Connor? Connor, are you there? You gotta see this.”

“Yup, I will. As soon as I’m done here.” McDavid would rather ride a bike to nowhere than hang with creepy uncle Mark.

85. JDï™ says:

Gret99zky: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I just gauging the mood of the fanbase by the comments section over at ON.

By the way, a certain poster here (with that singular message), has achieved a trash/cheers ratio of over 3:1. Good for them.

86. leadfarmer says:

Michal Neuvirth with consecutive shutouts. That was my pick for goalie well him with Anderson but I’m cool with Talbot. Still not sure about Short Side, but he did play all other shots well yesterday and had a lot of work, shots towards him must have been through the roof.

87. leadfarmer says:

Can’t wait for Oilers fans to chase Sekera out of town for not being a number 1 defenseman but having to play that role. Also I know Fayne played well in Jersey but I don’t see him any higher than a number 5 on a good team, maybe a number 4 on a team like Chicago that has a very good top 3.

88. Water Fire says:

I just watched Connor’s goal again. He’s already the best offensive player on the team. I was reading Bourne at the Score breaking down Eichel’s second goal, a beauty.

Here’s the difference for me. Eichel’s goal was a thing of physical ability and a ton of skill, and no quit. Eichel’s shot was perfect and hard enough, and it had to be to score from there.

But according to JB, and I think he’s right, he made three weak decisions in that sequence and the Jackassets, he he, were very soft in coverage.

Connor’s goal on the other hand was less to look at, but was absolute hockey mastery. He made three tremendous but subtle plays and basically created the goal through them.

He blows by the D to get the puck in and avoids a hip check, keeps his balance and goes to the corner, helps get it up to Sekera and tips it while skating. Sekera makes a really key but subtle play and waits for him to get to the lane and takes a perfect shot, we haven’t seen much of that for years. Unreal.

Both are tremendous players, but the difference to me is you can’t stop Connor’s goal, they didn’t play it that poorly. He beat them at every turn. If Columbus does anything right, Eichel doesn’t get a sniff.

I can’t wait until they get it going. I think Stamkos was right. I’m giddy again thinking what he could do in the blue and Orange.

89. OilLeak says:

square_wheels:
    hunter1909,

How’s that? The over abundance of NHL ready wingers coming through the Oilers pipeline taking his job?

90. Centre of attention says:

Coyotes playing like they give 0 shits who Matthews is.

Domi is going to give McDavid a run for his money in the Calder race, nevermind Eichel.

Jebus that Domi kid can hockey. Did anyone here see his backhand goal against the Ducks? Wow. The guy ripped it in backhand from the face off circle.

91. Gret99zky says:

JDï™:

Ummm, sorry. You lost me. What?

92. Adam Wu says:

hunter1909: With respect, it’s going to take more than 6 freaking mice to convince this hard boiled cynic.

It’s like expecting Connor McDavid to lead the Oilers to the playoffs.

*runs away laughing*

The graveyard of once promising cancer therapies that worked like gangbusters in mice but did jack squat in human trials is vast. Larger by an order of magnitude than the accumulated list of all the Oilers losses in the last 10 years.

If it gets to a Phase II Trial, I’ll *start* getting interested then.

93. G Money says:

*** NERD ALERT ***

For reals this time. Where I look to see whether there is rink bias that might have been a root cause for the horrawful Oiler tip/deflect numbers.

94. Centre of attention says:

This duclair kid is not bad either. He’s already got a hat trick and its still the second period.

95. JDï™ says:

Gret99zky,

Sorry Gret99 – hit send on that one before I read it back. Distractions here, and not the good kind…

Someone who frequents here, has hit a steady 3:1 ratio of thumbs down/up for his trolling over at ON.

96. Frank the dog says:

hunter1909:
    Frank the dog,

Hall. What a slacker.

Maybe throw in the Nuge and that CMD kid if you want a first rounder with good body language and lots of eye glow. Is Stortini still available? He can replace Gryba and hug his opponents to death.

97. jp says:

Woodguy:
    CBJ is about to go 0-4-0 and their D was been worse than EDM.

This is where the Oilers trade for Jack Johnson right?

Chia : “Kek wants to trade us Jack Johnson for “X” ”

MacT: “Make em throw in Clarkson!”

Johnson turned some kind of corner last year, did he not?

1st pairing comp, 44% Ozone starts, even CF%Rel (-5 in real CF%). And 40 Pts.

This is not our saviour #1 D, but he seems to have developed into a solid top 4 Dman, no?

The price tag might not be reasonable, but the player would certainly be a welcome addition to the current Oilers D.

98. jp says:

RexLibris:

Well, Oilers prospect Bryan Young is in that general part of the world.

His game appears to have taken a real step forward since we saw him last.

99. Zeabs93 says:

square_wheels,

All teams do this after a series victory in the post season, not just the Jays. The players deserve to celebrate after the grind of a 162 game season.

100. 719 says:

I cannot see Chia trading Hall. How well did that Seguin trade work out for him?

I can see Chia making some crafty trades for under-rated d or d who are making too much for what they bring on a team looking to cut costs.

I absolutely do not see the point of bringing up Nurse or Drai. The Oilers are not making the playoffs, why ruin a development year for both? On that note I would also send down Slepy and bring up Miller (who might be able to play with Hall and RNH on that first line, moving Purcell down to play with Lander).

101. 719 says:

Woodguy:
    Maybe this is how it goes:

Howson: “Johnson!! He’s got Jeff Carter type worth!!”

MacT: “Make em throw in Clarkson!! Man I really thought I had him in 2013”

Hahaha. Contest over, give him the $10,000.

102. jake70 says:

Centre of attention:
    Coyotes playing like they give 0 shits who Matthews is.

This Oiler team needs shooters like that. Can’t bury enough point blank shots. Problem x years.

103. Frank the dog says:

719:
    I cannot see Chia trading Hall.How well did that Seguin trade work out for him?

I absolutely do not see the point of bringing up Nurse or Drai.The Oilers are not making the playoffs, why ruin a development year for both?On that note I would also send down Slepy and bring up Miller (who might be able to play with Hall and RNH on that first line, moving Purcell down to play with Lander).

In reality I doubt he would do something like that unless there was something behind the scenes we simply didn’t know about, which I doubt. I do think Hall needs a subservient center at least, if not line, which is why he may actually work best with a line like lander and Purcell.
    But I am thinking that all we can realistically look for this year is a team that is being built to succeed in the new arena.

104. Ryan says:

On the bright side, our Pk is tied for first in the league.