CROSSFIRE HURRICANE

The Edmonton Oilers under Todd McLellan have one line firing, a good idea about another one, and then a crossfire hurricane. It’s similar to last year’s “two centers and mud” and this could take awhile. Still, and in fairness, there are circumstances that should be mentioned—including an injured Jordan Eberle and a developing on the farm Leon Draisaitl.

CENTERS, LAST NIGHT

oc 16 center

• The Nuge had some issues (damn stick broke!) but skated miles and continued to remind old people of Dave Keon. That defensive play he made on the back check (and then hauled ass the other way) was one of my favorite moments of the game.
  • Mark Letestu is about what we might expect, the possession number isn’t bad considering. I thought Anton Slepyshev was brilliant on his line. Letestu isn’t yet completely known to us, one wonders if there’s some offensive flair in there.
  • Connor McDavid spent most of the night with Benoit Pouliot (8:49 5×5, 9-10 Corsi—that pairing is working, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise) and Nail Yakupov (8:51 5×5, 7-8 Corsi—ditto). His line was even against the Pietrangelo (7-7) and Bouwmeester (5-5) pairing and 8-10 against the Lehtera line. It was a poor night by the plus minus (-3) but I’m pleased Todd McLellan stayed with the trio in practice today.
  • Anton Lander got the Boyd Gordon ZS treatment and it was a tough evening. He was 3-11 with Korpikoski and Purcell, 0-5 (!!!!) with Hall and Hendricks. Who did he face? David Backes (2-9)and his band of pirates Jaskin and Upshall. Holy hell. If there’s a center in danger of seeing the pressbox, it’s Lander.

WINGERS, LAST NIGHT

oc 16 wing

• Hall is finding the range now, after a halting start to the season (pre-season specifically). His 20 shots rank him No. 3 in the NHL and once the shooting percentage (that’s a theme by the way) hits the outskirts of normal, things should look rosy.
  • Matt Hendricks is among the last players I would have chosen for the 1line but damned if he’s not helping with the bump and grind. Short term item, let’s agree, but as a wakeup call for the skilled wingers NOT on the Nuge line, this could work.
  • Luke Gazdic is playing as well as he can.
  • Nail Yakupov got a 100% Zstart and his center got a 57% ZS, so my bet (I haven’t looked) is Letestu or Hendricks were taking the faceoffs in the DZone (correct me if I’m wrong) and then Yak hit the ice. Either way, my only complaint is TOI but he got significant power-play time.
  • Benoit Pouliot took some heat online because of coverage issues on goals and that’s fair. Overall, I really like this player and am pleased Edmonton has him as cover for the 2line and insurance on the high-wire act that is our man Taylor Hall.
  • Anton Slepyshev was brilliant in several shifts last night. Lordy. Man. Among the things that are easy to forget is this guy’s emergence this fall.
  • Lauri Korpikoski had his best game as an Oilers player, scored a goal and faced tough sledding on the Lander line. He got crushed but 20% Ozone starts against the Blues and the Backes line is a special cell in hell.
  • Teddy Purcell is a guy who needs some special handling imo, but he can help. McLellan had him on the 1PP unit today, that’s just good business. I know he’s slow, so am I—but we have uses! Teddy will fetch a draft pick at the deadline but can help right now. Seriously.

I used War-on-Ice and hockeystats.ca in preparing this post.

THE MINORS

providence reds

That’s a program from a 1960s game between Providence and Cleveland (click on it and you’ll see a larger view). When I was a kid, The Hockey News and various summer publications would update me on teams all across North America and various leagues. In my mind, I imagined Wayne Schaab and Larry Mavety and others in action for the Port Huron Flags or the Omaha Knights. I know that’s old timey, but for me an evening following the minor leagues or junior on radio or online feed is a wonderful reminder of the St. Marseille’s and Alton White’s. I’ll update the Bakersfield game as we roll, college games and other items tonight as well.

Sleep well. The Flames are tomorrow.

95 Responses to "CROSSFIRE HURRICANE"

1. Hello says:

All I want for Christmas is to be not out of the playoff picture.

Thx.

And for petes sake, plz win in Vancouver cuz I’ll be there!

Glad to see the PP changed up.

2. Bruce McCurdy says:

From the last post, but might as well put it in the new thread:

knighttown: I’d consider LT to be the most objective and unbiased poster this side of McCurdy (who could teach a master-class on parking pre-conceived notions and remaining detached during analysis) so his anti-Schultz/pro-Klefbom viewpoint so far has me questioning what I’m seeing.

Thanks, Knighttown, those are kind words, and certainly that is the objective of analysis. I’m actually a split personality, I’ve been known to get very emotional during games — just ask Mr. Referee — so tend to try to do my analysis after I’ve calmed down a tad. Often why my game grades are as late as they are, I can’t even start to write until I’ve had an hour or so to settle down, internalize the results, look at the stats, and so forth.

My wife once pointed out my dual nature during one profane outburst at some unfortunate Oiler who had just screwed up, and I said “I try to analyze the game in black & white, but I *see* it in colour. And sometimes, that colour is red!”

I didn’t even see last night’s game until this morning and was well aware of its outcome, so watched it in ‘dispassionate’ mode. Or thought I was, until I found myself cussing out Klefbom for poor puck management on the late powerplay that Knighttown referenced in his subsequent comments. I successfully predicted — as did he — that he might be off the PP altogether, & sure enough this morning McLellan was thinking the same way. Two units, no Klef on either of them.

As for Schultz, he has his bad moments every game, and people who look specifically for them will always find reasons to criticize. But he has some good moments as well, such as the one where he took a pass in his skates, made a nifty inside move and fired a dangerous shot on Elliott. A high skill move that I don’t think any other defender — and damn few of the forwards — is capable of. He led the defence in TOI, EVTOI, shots, and hits, and yet somehow he was the big problem?

The on-ice stats support the idea that he wasn’t the biggest issue behind the blue. This is all at even strength:

Schultz on: 18:47 TOI, 14 SF, 8 SA = 64%
    Schultz off: 27:34 TOI, 6 SF, 17 SA = 26%

Oilers total: 46:21 TOI, 20 SF, 25 SA = 44%

Granted Schultz saw plenty of time with Hall (who had himself a game) & RNH, but he was facing the toughs as well: his top 6 opponents by TOI were Stastny-Steen-Tarasenko up front and Gunnarsson-Bouwmeester-Pitrangelo on the blue.

To me that’s a pretty good night by the numbers, & by eye some good moments and some bad ones. He was far from the reason Oilers lost that game — not on a night Sekera-Fayne looked like the saloon doors and Gryba played over 15 even strength minutes during which time Oilers were outshot 10-2.

3. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: How’s about a tribute to St.Albert’s original NHLer – Eddie Joyal?

4. Klima's_Bucket says:

We all know the Oilers D is abhorrent.
    And has been for years.
    They struggle to cause turnovers in their own end and make an outlet pass on the tape out of their end.

My questions are:
    What other teams have this bad of a defence?
    Do they struggle as much at moving the puck?

And a tool that identifies which Dmen are carrying the puck out of their end in a controlled zone exit.
    And a tool that identifies which Dmen are making a clean pass that leads to a controlled zone exit.

hunter1909:
    Lowetide: How’s about a tribute to St.Albert’s original NHLer – Eddie Joyal?

Sure, although hockey-reference tells us the original was Joe Benoit

He died around the time Rick Monday hit that damned homer.

6. theres oil in virginia says:

Bruce McCurdy: I didn’t even see last night’s game until this morning and was well aware of its outcome, so watched it in ‘dispassionate’ mode. Or thought I was, until I found myself cussing out Klefbom for poor puck management on the late powerplay that you referenced in your subsequent comments.

Last season, I decided not to watch the games live and instead start them either about an hour late, or the next morning, and know the score in advance. I figured that way I’d stay even keeled. It didn’t work.

I haven’t watched a single minute this year yet. I haven’t even bought the package from the NHL, even though it’s cheaper than I ever remember it being. I’m sort of in a “fuck the NHL” mode. The product sucks, and it’s not just the Oilers. So does the NFL. Bloody awful and about 50% commercials to boot.

Klima’s_Bucket:

My questions are:
    What other teams have this bad of a defence?
    Do they struggle as much at moving the puck?

1. Not many teams. Edmonton’s biggest problem is that they don’t have many D in their prime (F’s for that matter). It would really help if they stopped trading two-way types like Petry and Marincin. They have real value.
    2. Most teams have a No. 1 who is more substantial than Edmonton’s. That’s kind of a big deal imo.

8. Bruce McCurdy says:

Klima’s_Bucket: I think we need a new evaluative tool that identifies Dmen that are good at causing changes in possession in their own end.

I really liked the work of SwedishPoster earlier this week on this front. I hope he follows through with more of that.

9. böök¡je says:

Hello:
    All I want for Christmas is to be not out of the playoff picture.

I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

Wait, did you mean this Christmas?

10. JDï™ says:

Bruce McCurdy: I can’t even start to write until I’ve had an hour or so to settle down,

An hour? Your meditative abilities must rival those of Wim Hof.

11. JDï™ says:

Klima’s_Bucket: What other teams have this bad of a defence?

Early candidates are playing each other tonight.

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eSr4dFjmr8

Tyler Vesel with an early assist for Omaha-Nebraska.

13. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: Sure, although hockey-reference tells us the original was Joe Benoit

He died around the time Rick Monday hit that damned homer.

You should apply for a job on The Bridge of Death.

hunter1909: You should apply for a job on The Bridge of Death.

Haha! You get to be my age, you notice birth and death dates, plus arrows to the heart.

15. Centre of attention says:

LT, On scale of 1 to Jennifer Lawrence stepping out of the shower how stunning was Hall’s goal last night?

That is what one defines as pushing the river. Oilers down 3-1 and things are looking grim. Hall comes onto the ice for an Offensive zone shift with the most stalwart and determined expression I’ve seen on his face in awhile.

Oh, we lost the face off? Doesn’t matter Hall’s on it. In seriously 4 quick steps he over powered the winger, put the puck threw the defensemans skates before dangling to avoid the poke check and depositing a backhand just over top the goalies right pad. All in under 5 seconds.

I actually shouted out loud when he scored that goal, scared the crap out of my family because up until that point I was silently fuming.

Now that Hall has that monkey off his back, I guarantee he shows up 200% ready for the games this weekend. Even if the Oilers lose both due to some voodoo/wizardry bullshit Hall will still get a couple points this weekend. I would put money on it.

In case you didn’t get the hint, I’m not in the “Trade Hall” crowd. Never was. Never will be. He’s an All-Star talent, and more importantly he is OUR All-Star talent. Draft good players, keep good players, to quote someone with more wisdom than myself.

16. geowal says:

In Calgary at a pub, flames gonna play, bar has sound on for the jays game. Nice perk of the playoff run (this place would carry sound on the flames otherwise)

17. JDï™ says:

geowal,

Is that a Brewsters?

18. geowal says:

Nah, just a local joint, fiddlers edm trail

19. G Money says:

geowal,

When I moved to Calgary I lived a couple blocks away from fiddlers on eighth Ave.

Bakersfield Condors ‏@Condors 3m3 minutes ago

FORWARDS:
    Hamilton – Draisaitl – Ford
    Miller – McRae – Pakarinen
    Khaira – Yakimov – Christoffer
    Moroz – Platzer – Kessy
    DEFENSE:
    Nurse – LaLeggia
    Hunt – Oesterle
    Musil – Pageau
    GOAL:
    Laurent Brossoit

21. hoser313 says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    We all know the Oilers D is abhorrent.
    And has been for years.

My questions are:
    What other teams have this bad of a defence?
    Do they struggle as much at moving the puck?

I see defence as a series of quick decisions. It is very subjective, but you should be able to track which defencemen are consistently making the right plays. Raw ability could be a substitute for decision making in some situations.

It would take painstaking analysis, but I would guess that a good nhl defenceman might make the right decision 25 times out of 30 in a game. Maybe 15 out of 30 for a fringe defence man.

The obvious weakness of course is how do you rank these decisions? If Erik Karlsson walks 2 players and scores perhaps that’s worth more than a plus 3.

22. geowal says:

G Money,

Yeah I’m still living right by there. Good spot. Only make this pub occasionally, tend to do the after work thing downtown

Quite a change from pints and half pints

23. frjohnk says:

GOAL:
    Laurent Brossoit

Nikitin?
    Visa issues?

frjohnk: Nikitin?
    Visa issues?

I think so, Scrivens hasn’t played either.

25. Mr DeBakey says:

frjohnk: Nikitin?
    Visa issues?

He finally found his and is out picking up a few things at Valley Plaza Mall

26. anonymous says:

I like keeping Draisatl and Nurse down all year. For the minimal difference in the standing it might make, Maclellan better off spending his time with the rookies, Yak/Shultz. Not to mention saving some cheap years on their elcs. Could be beneficial.

27. jp says:

Any streams floating around?

Edit: A little early I see. Something closer to game time would be much appreciated though!

Lagesson didn’t score but was plus 3 in his game tonight.

Centre: Hall’s goal was incredible. He does so many ridiculous things in a season. Whenever he gets hurt, it basically changes the tone of my Oiler watching.

30. Centre of attention says:

Remember that Taylor goal against detroit in the ’13 short season? Just walks threw 4 red wings into the slot and scores like its no big deal. Sweet first bump, big smile. Afterwards his line mates skating up with a stunned expression on their faces like “Where the f*ck did that come from?”

Judging by the way he was absolutely flying most shifts after that goal last night, a big weight has been lifted off of his shoulders, and its almost as if the point-damn is about to burst. If he can start burying those chances on the power-play [hes had lots] things should be palatable until Eberle returns.

Evan Campbell gets an assist, he’s having a nice start to the year.

32. stush18 says:

Everyone needs to calm down, including LT.

Gmoney has posted about how tough our starting schedule is. We all seen it coming.

Calling up drai and nurse to try and fix our problems is how the old oilers work. Everyone take a breath. It’s a marathon not a sprint.

33. Alsker says:

frjohnk: Nikitin?
    Visa issues?

Maybe heading for Norfolk…lol

John Marino back in action for Tri-City tonight, nothing yet but he’s had a really nice start.

35. Bag of Pucks says:

In my early 20’s, I had this girlfriend that was prone to periodic bouts of rage.

I call them periodic cos they only happened in the week preceding, the week of, and the week after her cycle. The other week of the month she was totally chill.

Her behaviour is the best analogy I can think of to describe what it’s like to be an Oiler fan the last 9 years.

Ah, but the sex. It was Connor McDavid on the rush good.

Men are pathetic creatures. We truly are.

Bag of Pucks:

Ah, but the sex. It was Connor McDavid on the rush good.

Men are pathetic creatures. We truly are.

Predictable is a kinder word. 🙂

37. vishcosity says:

JDï™: Early candidates are playing each other tonight.

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eSr4dFjmr8

How did you find that feed? Or, how do I find the next one?

Early goal for san Diego over Bakersfield, 1-0. Started Leon’s line and the Hunt pairing.

Andrew Miller always reminds me of Mark Arcobello

40. Zelepukin says:

Jets should be way up on the Phlegms. Dominating them.

41. Bag of Pucks says:

Andrew Miller always reminds me of Mark Arcobello

I hope his ceiling is higher than that.

He reminded me of Russ Courtnall.

Bag of Pucks: I hope his ceiling is higher than that.

He reminded me of Russ Courtnall.

Russ Courtnall scored 29 goals in the NHL at age 21. Andrew Miller is 27. He better hurry! 🙂

43. Bag of Pucks says:

Lowetide: Russ Courtnall scored 29 goals in the NHL at age 21. Andrew Miller is 27. He better hurry!

Well…there’s that. lol

Dare to dream!

Estrada is a battler btw. Like how the Jays are hanging around in this game. Hopefully their bats come alive against the middle relief.

Of course as I type this, Estrada gives up A triple!

Moroz scores from Platzer and Hunt. 1-1

Bag of Pucks: Well…there’s that. lol

Dare to dream!

Of course as I type this, Estrada gives up A triple!

Jays are hanging around in this game for sure. Big bats get one more run through the order.

46. jp says:

I knew he was an advanced prospect, but didn’t quite realize he’s 27. Yikes.

Can we just bring him up and call him a veteran?

47. Younger Oil says:

Moroz scores from Platzer and Hunt. 1-1

Haha, good one. What actually happened?

48. Bag of Pucks says:

Herrera throwing smoke!

Still, get the barrel on one of those and it’s likely out.

49. Clay says:

So this is a tale of two Dmen from last season. I was perusing some “traditional” fancy stats just to get an idea of who Chia may be or should be targeting, and these two guys stuck out for their similarity.

All numbers are 5v5.

The Similarities
    Guy1: 80 GP; 18.96 TOI/60; 9.1 CorsiRel; 0.452 CorsiRelQoC; 54.6 ZS%; 0.99 Pts/60; -0.035 QoC
    Guy2: 60 GP; 18.94 TOI/60; 9.4 CorsiRel; 0.475 CorsiRelQoC; 58.0 ZS%; 0.90 Pts/60; -0.023 QoC

So not much really to choose between the two. Almost identical Ev TOI, Guy1 scored slightly more, Guy2 had slightly better Corsi against slightly tougher opponents.

The Differences
    Guy1: .923 Sv%On; 1005 PDO
    Guy2: .881 Sv%On; 954 PDO

So Guy1 got good goaltending and was pretty close to par as far as “luck” goes. Guy2 had a Shooter Tutor in net, and it had a few extra holes in it.

Guy1 went on to win the Conn Smythe last June.

Guy2 is the dreamy Swede paired with Schultz.

Just thought it was interesting.

Two quick ones. Pakarinen from Hunt and Ford, and then Yakimov from Khaira and Christtofer. 3-1

And now San Diego scores two quick ones, 3-3. Lordy.

52. JDï™ says:

Lowetide: Yakimov from Khaira and Christtofer. 3-1

That line sounds heavy.

53. Zelepukin says:

Great to see Jets pull out the win and not let the Phlegms steal a point or two they don’t deserve.

Who would have thought that a strategy of ensuring possession by making a pass tape-to-tape as your first option instead of your last option, would result in a positive outcome.

54. JDï™ says:

Lowetide: scored 29 goals in the NHL at age 21

Which would be about 20 goals in today’s NHL compared to Russ’es…sss, in my estimation.

So to balance the age/scoring, Miller can do it any year up to his 29th, and he’s equaled it 😉

55. RexLibris says:

And now San Diego scores two quick ones, 3-3. Lordy.

Would you call that a swarm of goals?

RexLibris: Would you call that a swarm of goals?

A murder of goals!

57. Centre of attention says:

And now San Diego scores two quick ones, 3-3. Lordy.

Needless to say pretty back-and-forth?
    How is Leon looking? What has coach Fleming done with my son!?!

58. GCW_69 says:

Bakersfield Condors ‏@Condors 3m3 minutes ago

FORWARDS:
    Hamilton – Draisaitl – Ford
    Miller – McRae – Pakarinen
    Khaira – Yakimov – Christoffer
    Moroz – Platzer – Kessy
    DEFENSE:
    Nurse – LaLeggia
    Hunt – Oesterle
    Musil – Pageau
    GOAL:
    Laurent Brossoit

So, one legitimate prospect, two tweeners and three AHL vets getting the top six forward minutes. That is so Oilers. Does anyone on Kingsway even pay attention to the farm team?

Centre of attention: Needless to say pretty back-and-forth?
    How is Leon looking? What has coach Fleming done with my son!?!

Ryan Hamilton from Leon and Hunt. 4-3.

Although they’re giving it to Ford from Pakarinen.

62. Derek says:

This Condors game is actually really great. Put this in HD and I’d watch it over the Oilers alot of nights.

5-5 now. Crazy game.

64. JDï™ says:

Love how the broadcast crew are gushing about Nurse’s play.

65. Numenius says:

I just watched the Jets-Flames highlights.

Byfuglien’s game winner was an absolutely filthy goal that Calgary challenged and lost. Beautiful.

Would be nice to have a D like that on this team.

66. Derek says:

The oppositions broadcast is heaping praise on Nurse, he moves the puck really quickly. He really sticks out at this level although he still makes the odd decision with the puck. If he can use this time to become a little more comfortable on the offensive blue line it’ll be time well spent.

Draisaitls assist was a really nice pass across the ice but other than that he’s not really that noticeable. Its really hard to tell the forwards apart with all the 20’s numbers, the poor feed quality, and the Gulls broadcast rarely mentions a Condor player by name other than Nurse.

Edit to add: Brossoit seems to have a bit of Scrivenitis handling the puck.

67. Derek says:

Numenius:
    I just watched the Jets-Flames highlights.

Would be nice to have a D like that on this team.

Johnny Hockey made a hell of a pass to Big Buff to set that game winner up too. 🙂

68. Unwashed Oilfan says:

Derek,

The feed quality appears 20-25 years ahead of the Oilers website abilities. I’m streaming iPhone via AirPlay onto Samsung 4K and it looks pretty damn good. Camera crews don’t understand the zoom features on the cameras seem to be the biggest problem.

69. flyfish1168 says:

5-5 now. Crazy game.

Hunt 4 points. Yikes. Does that mean we may see him again an Oiler jersey.

70. Unwashed Oilfan says:

So…. San Dieo Gulls. Any chance Eakins gets interviewed by Ron Burgundy or Champ?

71. Derek says:

Unwashed Oilfan:
    Derek,

The feed quality appears 20-25 years ahead of the Oilers website abilities.I’m streaming iPhone via AirPlay onto Samsung 4K and it looks pretty damn good.Camera crews don’t understand the zoom features on the cameras seem to be the biggest problem.

My Roku won’t pick up the HS feed so no 4K for me! I’m just watching it on my laptop which is a tad smaller. Also my eyes are a little fuzzy from the beer.

72. Derek says:

Also this colour guy is going full on Pierre Mcguire over Nurse.

73. JDï™ says:

LB stands tall there.

74. Derek says:

Draisaitl had a couple chances there at the end to put the game away. Stopped by an amazing save and another really nice shot block.

75. JDï™ says:

Have to think Nurse gets a chance or two in 3v3 OT.

76. Derek says:

JDï™:
    Have to think Nurse gets a chance or two in 3v3 OT.

I’d just leave him on the ice the entire 5

77. Derek says:

Hahaha wow it looks like there has been a bit of beer consumed at this game.

78. lynn says:

Jujhar Khaira had a good game for the Condors: 1 assist, 6 shots on goal.

Nurse must have had an amazing game. It’s damn near impossible to play significant minutes in a 10-goal game and not be on the ice for any of the goals. I think that’s what happened tonight.

80. RexLibris says:

So the Flames have one win in 5 games thus far.

Here’s the synopsis of the game from FN:

WHY THE FLAMES LOST

Winnipeg had the puck more often. Winnipeg did more with the puck. Winnipeg couldn’t really solve Ramo with good shots, so they just chucked whatever they could at him and something trickled through, really.

But to be blunt: Calgary lost because they weren’t nearly as good as Winnipeg. The Jets seemed to have a game plan and made tweaks to adjust. Calgary either didn’t have much of a plan or failed to execute it.

And again: not much offensive punch from the depth lines, and the power-play couldn’t generate much.

Read that and tell me it doesn’t sound a little bit familiar. Or perhaps, read that and tell me that this Oilers team, based on efforts from games 1, 2, and 4, don’t at least stand a chance against that kind of squad.

81. Zelepukin says:

RexLibris:
    So the Flames have one win in 5 games thus far.

Here’s the synopsis of the game from FN:

82. striker says:

lynn: Jujhar Khaira had a good game for the Condors: 1 assist, 6 shots on goal.

Seems like we’ve been hearing more and more good things about Khaira’s play from Condor’s watchers this year. Good to hear about the shot totals. From perusing the boxscore it looks like his linemate Yakimov also had 4 shots. Getting Khaira used to the LW can only be a good thing, the versatility to play C/LW will only help his chances to make the jump to the NHL.

83. pocession charge says:

RexLibris:
    So the Flames have one win in 5 games thus far.

Here’s the synopsis of the game from FN:

I hope they bring their best effort. I’m heading down to the game tomorrow to cheer them on. I’m going to wear the Hall jersey, and dare I say it, leave the paper bag mask at home. This team is due for an offensive breakout game.

84. Zelepukin says:

I will say that after watching several 3 on 3 OTs so far, we should be money when they happen. I would run Klef-McD-Nuge to start. The speed and possession should dominate. I’d then follow up with Sek-Hall-Poo. I wouldn’t even consider Jultz. Too soft in coverage and not the greatest passer.

85. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: Monitoring not watching. Bruce will have an update over at the Cult later, though.

Actually I won’t. Feed kept crashing every 3 minutes so I couldn’t watch more than fragments. Couldn’t listen to Condors feed which was 10+ seconds behind the play, & Gulls announcer didn’t seem to know anybody beyond Nurse so just called everybody “the Condors”. So player ID was a challenge.

Did see most of the 3rd & OT, when no goals were scored but game was on the line throughout. Not enough to write an article, but a few impressions which I’ll share here:

Seen him good: Pakarinen. Buddy LOVES to shoot, 5 more official shots tonight, 1-1-2. I think he’s the first call-up among wingers.

Seen him OK: Nurse. Played a lot (I’d guess on pace for ~25 minutes) and somehow avoided being on the ice for any of the 10 goals. Overpowered more than a few situations with his size, talent, &/or aggression. Took an o-zone penalty in OT which his mates killed off. Was cool to see him take the ceremonial faceoff from Willie O’Ree, the first black NHLer.

Seen him meh: Miller. Buzzing around but wasn’t clicking. Coughed the puck under no pressure a couple times in 3v3, something which will soon be recognized as a cardinal sin.

Seen him excellent: Brossoit, who bounced back from some weird looking goals (saw some highlights of those — seeing eye shots, funky deflections) to slam the door in the part of the game I saw & which is all I’m rating here. Wound up with 35 saves including a few tough ones with the game on the line. Was great on the OT PK.

Seen him outstanding: Khaira, who seems to have won the job as defensive horse of the forward corps. Took key own zone draws and was mammoth on the OT penalty kill. As Lynn pointed out, had 6 shots and generally looked OK in all three zones. May be taking a real step forward in his sophomore year, based on two early viewings.

86. RexLibris says:

Zelepukin: I watched the entire game and for the most part Calgary lost almost every battle. The only strategy that seemed planned was the stretch pass. Winnipeg on the other hand, played the body at every opportunity and when they got possession, they’d kept it at all costs even if that meant eating the puck along the boards. Winnipeg follows the #1 rule about possession, make the simple play first. Look for the short pass and hit it. Calgary’s strategy is, try and make the hardest to complete pass possible. Edmonton’s strategy is, don’t make a pass first, instead rifle it down the boards or dump it in and hope you gain possession at a position on the ice that is closer to the opposition’s net.

That’s been Hartley’s MO for several seasons now – the dodge and counterpunch. St. Louis played it extremely well. The Flames have great D, but I have a strong hunch they are being miscast by Hartley.

What the Oilers need to watch for tomorrow is the typical bully attempts early, the stretch pass, and chaos in the defensive zone when Monahan and Gaudreau begin the cycle.

I’m not confident about tomorrow night unless the Oilers can play an extremely disciplined game by way of execution, systems, and positioning. They need to be in exactly the right spot at the right time, not give up the odd-man rushes that the Flames game plan for, and ensure that when they gain possession in the OZone that they damned well keep possession.

Also I want Yakupov to hit every red thing he sees and shoot the lights out.

87. HiddenDarts says:

Was at the Condors game tonight. Well worth the admission, for sure. 10 goals, a penalty shot, 3 on 3 and then a shootout. Reasonably visible Oilers contingent in the place, as well. It was also $2 Beer night, which in this case was $2 Beer-flavoured water night, as the only $2 beers were of the Bud Light variety. The rest of the beers were $12.50. i believe that may be around $17 CDN per. Ugh.

Anyway, Nurse is a man amongst boys. Wow. Great wheels. Real calm.

Brad Hunt is actually a horrible, horrible player. Just giveaways and mistakes that end up in the back of the net CONTINUALLY.

Hated to see it, but Joey Legs was a bit of a mess as well. Got better as the game went on, but was giving away the puck horribly early on.

Khaira looks good. Doesn’t do much.

Yakimov has an odd stride, but gets there. Probably needs to move his feet more.

Draisaitl is clearly the forward stud on the team, and can win a faceoff as well. But I’d like a little more “dynamic” to his game. Yes, that was in quotes, but you have to see him to understand.

All in all, this was a great game to watch. My non-hockey fan buddy said it had everything. He was right. Except it didn’t have much in terms of goaltending or defense. Fortunately, the tire fires were at both ends.

88. Yeti says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Thanks, Bruce and Hiddendarts, for the Condor observations!
    (Also – where’s Pouzar when you need him?)

89. oilswell says:

RexLibris: I’m not confident about tomorrow night unless the Oilers can play an extremely disciplined game by way of execution, systems, and positioning.

I’ve liked what I see from the Oilers this season, and am pretty positive about their chances against the Flames. Noticeably different and not out of the game against good teams by the first period.

Of course, they’d be better with the infallible #23.

90. frjohnk says:

This is all even strength

Last year we were 55.2% CF after 4 games. (5th)
    This year we are 44.0% after 4 games. (27th)

Last year we were 44% in high danger scoring chances after 4 games (23rd)
    This year we are 36.5% high danger scoring chances after 4 games (29th)

Last year the save percentage at this time was 83.1% ( 29th)
    This year, its 91.1% (21st)

The biggest reason we are in the games is that we are actually getting really good goaltending. Last year goaltending sunk us in the first period. Yes the competition in the first 4 games this year has been tougher than the first 4 games from last year, but by eye and by stats we have not started out as well as last year save the goaltending.

This team needs a lot of work. But I believe Todd is on it.

And its nice the Oilers play Calgary tonight. Hopefully they can take advantage of this being a back to back for the Flames.

91. Frank the dog says:

frjohnk,

Don’t you think the corsi comparison would be more appropriate for the 1st away game against each of the Blues, Press and Stars, and then the first home game against the blues?
    The corsi may be worse but the comparison more appropriate.

92. GCW_69 says:

Bruce McCurdy: Seen him bad: Draisaitl. Had some chances but none of his shots or passes were getting through. Looked his age in the defensive zone. Not much jump tonight.

93. Bruce McCurdy says:

GCW_69: So what you are saying is Leon needs more seasoning before we cast him in the saviour role?

I think that is inevitable. The Leon I saw last Friday played well enough to help the Oilers right away, the one I saw (briefly) last night looked more tentative & out of sorts & wasn’t much helping the Condors. He’s a teenager & consistency is apt to be an issue, which is where “more seasoning” comes into play.

94. G Money says:

frjohnk,

Frank the dog,

Franks point is 100% correct. Before each of the games, I did post the CF% for the Oilers last year vs the same teams, and I do believe that if you looked collectively at the issue, the Oilers are just as good or better against these particular teams than they were last year.

I will see if my scripts allow me to pull this comparison relatively easily. If so, I will post.