G5 2015-16: OILERS AT FLAMES

The first season of Connor McDavid is beginning to remind me of every season of Taylor Hall—and holy hell that’s a very bad thing. Oilers fans are either screaming ‘don’t panic!’ or in a state of panic and one can’t blame another for either. The team has coverage gaps, remain a slow train (at times) and can’t buy a thrill in the offensive zone.

The one thing Edmonton has now they didn’t have when Hall was a rookie? A GM/Coach/Management group with experience and an idea about how the world works—plus (one assumes) a plan of action AND job security. We’ve discussed at length the primary goals of this season—improvement in all areas and hopefully a turn north—playoffs a distant bell.

Things rarely fall into place overnight, but there are good signs in Edmonton. Coach Todd McLellan has the team working hard and through four games I’d say only the Dallas game and about 10 minutes of the home opener have been poor. One area that is helping this team so far is the goaltending.

• Goal differential after four games 2014-15: 11-23 (-12)
  • Goal differential after four games 2015-16: 5-13 (-8)

Those numbers highlight the defensive problems of 2014-15 and the early offensive issues this year. Jordan Eberle’s injury is one thing, but the shooting percentage (20 shots for Hall, one goal) of the Oilers is another. That’s one area we should watch closely this week—more pucks should go in. It would be folly to avoid a good stop and stare at last year’s GA after four games. THAT is an abomination.

5×5/60 2015-16 (BTN)

1. Lauri Korpikoski 1.28
  2. Benoit Pouliot 1.22
  3. Nail Yakupov 1.21
  4. Teddy Purcell 1.13
  5. Connor McDavid 1.04
  6. Andrej Sekera 1.04
  7. Oscar Klefbom 0.88
  8. Taylor Hall 0.87

None of these numbers shines, but we’re early days and the shooting percentage numbers will take time to find their career range.

SHOOTING PERCENTAGE FSHOOTING PERCENTAGE DI have them sorted by F and D, and by shooting percentage. What usually happens in a case of this kind is that the team fills the net in one game and catches up all at once. We hope it’s this weekend.

FINDING BLUE

• Elliotte Friedman on Chiarelli: “Well, I think obviously he’d probably like to get some help on defense. I mean, the thing is though there are teams out there looking for defensemen. Boston’s looking for a defenseman. Carolina’s looking for a defenseman. There’s not much available out there right now. Source

I’ve been surprised by the reaction of many Oilers fans to the start of this season, where a sense of ‘let’s see how this turns out’ on defense.

For me, ‘let’s see how this turns out’ is applicable to Griffin Reinhart, or the Andrej Sekera—Mark Fayne pairing. If you’re somehow waiting for Andrew Ference to become 30, or Eric Gryba to find an extra gear, it isn’t going to happen. Seriously. The Oilers on defense, as they stand, are not doing a good job in coverage, have speed issues and are (at times) extremely poor at the headman pass. These are real and significant issues, and Peter Chiarelli will address them. He moved to improve the defense in-season during his first turn in Boston and I don’t think we’ll have to wait long for him to pull the trigger on something to improve the blue this year—especially foot speed, that’s a fix he can do in-house.

I believe that’s the play here, and suggested Nurse would be on the roster in the season’s first half during the RE series. We talked about this yesterday, but for me three things can be done right away to improve the defense:

• Pair Andrej Sekera with Oscar Klefbom and give that duo the tough assignments.
  • Callup Darnell Nurse and pair him with Mark Fayne. I know it’s getting young in a hurry but there’s no talking me out of the conviction he’s one of the six best D in the organization. Now. This isn’t an 18 or 19 year old junior, this is a substantial prospect. Fayne gives him cover.
  • Reinhart—Schultz and back off the minutes for this pairing, giving them an Ozone push and third most TOI at evens. Just because Justin Schultz gets the most EV minutes doesn’t mean that is the wise thing to do, for me he would be more effective in less time. Schultz has very good speed and it should be used in the offensive end, where he does most of his good business.

Tonight, when you’re watching a slow defensive group (the Klefbom—Schultz pairing is the only fast duo) lose races all over the ice and be exposed by the stretch pass, remember that down on the farm is one of the six best options at the pro level.

CHOOSE YOUR POISON

I understand the idea that Darnell Nurse would do well with time in the AHL and if he was struggling at that level that idea would hold water. Some (many) young defensemen need that time but Darnell Nurse was a high draft pick who had tremendous success in junior and internationally during his teenage years. Last year, during the AHL playoffs, he was noticeable in a positive way during a time when minor league teams are firing on all pistons.

Nurse didn’t stay late in camp but Todd McLellan set up the roster(s) in a way where the competition favored others. And that’s fine. For me, it’s patently obvious the group of eight Edmonton is using cannot skate with the fast trains in the NHL. Tonight, if you can, count the number of times you see an Oilers defender chasing (and not catching) a Flames forward.

Darnell Nurse is young and will make mistakes. He is also fast enough to recover from many of those mistakes and impact the play. He is not 18, he is not frail and you don’t have to worry about him being physically dominated while battling along the wall or in front of the net. Pair him with Mark Fayne and suffer through the mistakes, secure in the knowledge that even now he’s a better bet than the slow trains.

OBSERVATIONS FROM THE FLIGHT DECK

One of the blessings of this blog is receiving timely and delightful information on all manner of things. From whiskey to whisky, from ice fishing to backpacking, I spend many hours every year reading insightful opinions from the group who visit here. Last night, one of our own was at the Condors game in San Diego and offered these opinions in the comments section. My thanks to Hidden Darts.

• “Was at the Condors game tonight. Well worth the admission, for sure. 10 goals, a penalty shot, 3 on 3 and then a shootout. Reasonably visible Oilers contingent in the place, as well. It was also $2 Beer night, which in this case was $2 Beer-flavoured water night, as the only $2 beers were of the Bud Light variety. The rest of the beers were $12.50. i believe that may be around $17 CDN per. Ugh.
  • Anyway, Nurse is a man amongst boys. Wow. Great wheels. Real calm.
  • Brad Hunt is actually a horrible, horrible player. Just giveaways and mistakes that end up in the back of the net CONTINUALLY.
  • Hated to see it, but Joey Legs was a bit of a mess as well. Got better as the game went on, but was giving away the puck horribly early on.
  • Khaira looks good. Doesn’t do much.
  • Yakimov has an odd stride, but gets there. Probably needs to move his feet more.
  • Draisaitl is clearly the forward stud on the team, and can win a faceoff as well. But I’d like a little more “dynamic” to his game. Yes, that was in quotes, but you have to see him to understand.
  • All in all, this was a great game to watch. My non-hockey fan buddy said it had everything. He was right. Except it didn’t have much in terms of goaltending or defense. Fortunately, the tire fires were at both ends.”

MCDAVID

The young man is a delight. I’ve mentioned in the past that (early days) a lot of his offense will probably come from the power play. Scoring 5×5 is a tough thing to do in the NHL, so those 5×4 points will fill his offensive columns this season. Todd McLellan hit the shuffle button at practice yesterday and came up with this:

• PP: McDavid—Letestu—Pouliot with Yakupov and Sekera
  • PP: Hall—Lander—Purcell with Nuge and Schultz

Lots to observe here. McLellan wants to win the faceoff and gain possession, that’s the reason for Letestu and Lander. He wants a shooter on each PP, so Hall and Nail are on different lines. I’d rather have Schultz on the McDavid pair (he’s very good in the offensive zone with the puck on his stick or driving down low) but that said it’s an interesting group(s) I’m looking forward to seeing. In at least two of the first four games, the power play could have netted this team points if it had been firing.

I won’t be covering the draft this year until after the Top 20 in December and was hoping to avoid it until after the trade deadline. Hopefully the Oilers will hang in through Valentine’s but at this point we’ll have to wait and see. Coverage depends on coverage.

ONE YEAR AGO

The GDT for G5 one year ago was talking about the defense and a Martin Marincin recall:

• Guessing along with Eakins in terms of defensive pairings is a lost highway this fall, but we’ll see how this rolls. I think the sense of urgency for the coach has finally arrived, and not a moment too soon. If there’s one thing I could change about these Oilers, it’s the casual pace of training camp and absolute lack of urgency in finding balance and chemistry. I’ve been saying this for over a decade, find balance in the roster opening night! Sure it won’t last because of injuries and slumps et cetera, but holy does this team give a lot away for their lollygagging decision making and indifference to a balanced roster. Source

If I’m being fair to Dallas Eakins here, Todd McLellan is doing many of the same things in terms of auditions. One change? Darnell Nurse is in the minors where he can be recalled, whereas last season he was in the NHL but on his way back to junior. The long knives were already out for Eakins btw. Terry Jones: “The goaltending is in the toilet. The defence is a disaster. And the coach is still out-thinking himself.”) It takes a lot to laugh, it takes a train to cry.

705 Responses to "G5 2015-16: OILERS AT FLAMES"

« Older Comments
  1. G Money says:

Tonights shot metrics (will NerdAlert these as soon as I sober up a bit):

Please let me know if you find an error, I should not have been drunk programming between periods.

E’rybody in the club gettin tipsy.

2. Bank Shot says:

That was an awesome game. Good to see the Oilers finally beat the Flames and McDavid breakout on CBC.

I think Reinhart doesn’t really look like an NHL defenceman though. I’d probably send him down.

3. Henry says:

Surly: Same here…some Talisker 18 I found in the US of A this summer.You?

I’m enjoying some 10 yr old goodness. My wife will enjoy the resulting smoke farts.

Strange, Cassie is bigger than Johnny.

4. Dominoiler says:

kurri_17:
    striatic,

I’ll definitely take what i’ve seen from Talbot this year over what we got from Scriven’s last year

It isn’t even close!!

Mark Fayne 75
    Justin Schultz 55.56
    Oscar Klefbom 55
    Eric Gryba 44
    Griffin Reinhart 43.48

Top 6 looks pretty good.

This team still needs an enema on the D.

Did I just post that McDavid had a 81.25% CF?

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH
    AHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

WWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. lynn says:

ford from Khaira and Oesterle 3-2 Bakersfield.

Another good game from Khaira. He might be an NHL player some day. Hope his season continues with steady growth.

8. magisterrex says:

That was a game so enjoyable to watch, not even the idiots providing play by play and commentary couldn’t ruin it.

9. jp says:

G Money:
    jp,

Just my opinion, FWIW!But I hate the Flames, so …

No, honestly, I’ve NEVER been happier to be wrong!!

You don’t even need to back it up if you tell me the Flames have no legit 1st pairing Dmen. Fits what I want to hear, so…

And I do remember seeing (though had forgotten) that their numbers were only really impressive relative to team. We are on the same page.

10. Centre of attention says:

LT’s Oiler Nation Game day prediction was spot on. Oilers run the show and win by a score of 5-2

11. pocession charge says:

Just left the Sad-dull-dome. Connor just sucked up the Flames fans souls like a Hoover vacuum.

12. Captain's Log says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAint’sSo!:
    The Flames are a shitty hockey team with the most overrated player in hockey as their captain. They should get used to these scores

I’ll disagree with you on Giordano there. He’s a beauty I would love to have in my lineup.

If I was a Flames fan I would be concerned about his performance so far this season, but he’s being dragged down by Dougie Hamilton right now. Add to that he hadn’t played a competitive game of hockey for almost 8 months and it’s no surprise he’s starting soon.

13. RMGS says:

It’s 1:12AM eastern time, and I’d like to chime in with a couple more FUCK THOSE FLAMES, FUCK ‘EM.

14. wheatnoil says:

Mark Fayne75
    Justin Schultz55.56
    Oscar Klefbom55
    Eric Gryba44
    Griffin Reinhart43.48

Top 6 looks pretty good.

This team still needs an enema on the D.

Worth noting this is all-situations, not 5×5.

But yes… I agree… McDavid! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

15. striatic says:

Woodguy:
    Did I just post that McDavid had a 81.25% CF?

Is this real life?

Bank Shot:

I think Reinhart doesn’t really look like an NHL defenceman though.I’d probably send him down.

Reinhart is a positive plus/minus rookie defensemen in the NHL on a losing team that has been outscored by a lot.

Rookie defensement get to stay if they don’t s#$% the bed defensively. He isn’t.

17. Zelepukin says:

Gryba – best game so far this year. Didn’t look a step behind and made smart decisions with the puck, both in the corners and on the offense.

Reins- Needs to think faster. Gryba bailed him out several times. He seems to be thinking the game at AHL speed still.

Sekera – Still needs to think the game better.

Jultz – Jultz’d on several occasions. Klef has to put in more effort in order to make up for his lack of push back. I feel like Jultz should not be on the PK but is because of Klef.

Fayne – Jultz’d more times than you’d like from a vet. He is capable in the corners but that’s not the only thing we need out of our D. We need D who can hit our stallions in full stride on the breakout or regroup.

Hendricks – Had a great game complimenting Hall and Nuge. Once those two adjusted their entry and speed to compensate for Hendrick’s slower response/foot speed, they really started to click and track down loose pucks.

Hall – Best game of the year, completely owned Hamilton at every battle. It’s the little things with Hall. The ability of Nuge and Hall to add back pressure by closing the gap on retrieving offensive pucks, is amazing. I still don’t like him on the half boards on the PP. He doesn’t have the stick-handle in a booth quality, that Nuge and McD possess.

Nuge – You don’t realise how amazing his game is until he makes a couple errand passes or PP fumbles, that are so rare, he think wow, Nuge never fucks up with the puck.

McD – Jesus is slowly realizing he has the ability to walk on water. Literally every time he has the puck something amazing happens. As Friedman eluded to, even if 4 guys are on him, he’ll still be dangerous. No way in hell he isn’t a point per game player by the end of the season.

Poo – Seems to be finding his groove with McD and Yaks. Played with a bit more bravado, reminiscent of when he is with Nuge and Ebs.

Yaks – Still runs around a bit more than you’d like and forces plays in the offensive zone that he should probably abandon, such as circling around the entire zone. If he can keep his feet moving and his stick on the ice, McD will find him.

Lander – The whole 3rd line had it rough in the first. He looked slower than normal too, losing out several battles based on foot speed. PP looked good in the dots, even if he lost a draw he still did his job well.

Lets, Klink, Gazdic, Korp – None of these 4 screwed up in a big way, but they also didn’t do a whole lot. A stronger 3rd line from the opposition and we’re going to feel the effects. Sleps should draw back in so we at least have someone in the bottom 6 who can provide some offense.

18. Магия 10 says:

G Money:
    I assume after this game that we will never again hear a Flames fan claim that Connor Mcdavid ain’t the real deal.

You’ll hear that Bennet was injured. Repeatedly.

19. pocession charge says:

Bank Shot:

He was fine. I didn’t see what you saw. Low event player. Not even close to being problem.

wheatnoil: Worth noting this is all-situations, not 5×5.

But yes… I agree… McDavid! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nope, that’s 5v5.

He was 86.96 all situations.

Connor McDavid 86.96
    Griffin Reinhart 40
    Mark Letestu 29.41
    Lauri Korpikoski 28.57

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

WWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. pocession charge says:

Hall was on fire out there. Hopefully this shuts up a few of his haters.

22. Магия 10 says:

jp: And it’s not like they just mentioned it once or twice. Incredible.

But don’t forget:

McDavid.

And 3rd line center sputtering that any comparison to Colorado is just plain wrong.

11 LOS ANGELES 4 1 3 0 2
    12 EDMONTON 5 1 4 0 2
    13 CALGARY 5 1 4 0 2
    14 ANAHEIM 4 0 3 1 1

23. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy,

Hmmm… hockeystats.ca has him at 84% all situations and 76.47% 5×5.

I’m assuming your numbers are from war-on-ice?

I mean, it’s ridiculous either way, but curious that they have different numbers.

wheatnoil: Worth noting this is all-situations, not 5×5.

But yes… I agree… McDavid! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Natualstattrick has him 13-3 for 81.25
    Waronice has him 13-4 for 76.47

I normally use NST because of the head to head and line mate functions.

Natural stat trick uses EV, which will include 4v4.

Waronice just uses 5v5, which excludes 4v4.

Doesn’t make sense though as waronice has one extra corsi event, so ADDING 4v4 wouldn’t subtract an event for NST.

pocession charge: He was fine.I didn’t see what you saw.Low event player.Not even close to being problem.

I saw him make bad decisions with the puck when not under pressure.

Wasn’t impressed.

He’s still better than Gryba, Davidson and Ference though.

26. striatic says:

Woodguy: He’s still better than Gryba, Davidson and Ference though.

Oilers D have a very low bar to clear in order to look competent.

27. healthyscratch says:

Listening to the flames broadcast on Sirius XM on my way home I’m certain there was an add for a car dealer in Calgary giving away a 2004 Honda civic to some lucky flames fan. What a prize! Stay classy Calgary.

28. wheatnoil says:

Sekera got some flak during this game (and the decision to try to pinch at the defensive blue line on the PK was a poor one) but here’s an interesting stat to point out…

According to war-on-ice, at even-strength Sekera was on for 12 scoring chances for (2nd most on the team) and only ONE against this game.

Relative to his ice-time, among the D, he had the lowest corsi-against, the lowest fenwick against, the lowest shots against, and the lowest scoring chances against (which of course, are all correlated together).

At even-strength, the Flames got nothing going against him.

29. oilinthepeg says:

Wanted to chime in.
    Flew into NYC Friday night from Seattle as I have work in New Haven on Monday. Wanted to go see JT and the Isles in the new arena. Have to say, I have only been to a handful of live Oil games, but Brooklyn puts on a pretty good show as a fan base. Team didn’t disappoint, either. Observations: their D can make and take a pass and they are constantly supporting one another. I had been troubled by the Oil just passing to nowhere and getting rid of the puck too early so far this year, and watching this game just made me feel even more confident that this is something that MUST get better. The Oilers should be doing passing drills with every spare minute they have. Liked what I saw from Boychuck and Leddy, Hamonic and deHaan, as well as Zid and Hickey. Man. Zidlicky can still skate and can QB a PP. Fun game.
    Anyways, I rushed back from the game to my hotel to watch the 2nd and 3rd on my phone. Some nice things happening. Conner diving in. Love it. Hall on his good side tonight, and once agin, Talbot giving us a great chance to win. Still a little confused on Jultz’s usage. Is McL trying to turn him into a complete D? I have to say, there is a lot less Jultzing happening this year, but he needs that passing practice. He just needs a bit more vision with where he puts the puck.

Anyways. The first four were rough, but against teams that all should be better than us this season. Good to see us take advantage against a lesser opponent. Excited to see how things go against Vancouver.

Oh yeah, and:

WWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!’n MCDAVVVVVVVID!!!!!!!

Cheers, everyone! I think we deserved this almost as much as the team…

30. Gerta Rauss says:

TMac post game audio

“We played a solid game and deserved to win”

31. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy: Natualstattrick has him 13-3 for 81.25
    Waronice has him 13-4 for 76.47

I normally use NST because of the head to head and line mate functions.

Natural stat trick uses EV, which will include 4v4.

Waronice just uses 5v5, which excludes 4v4.

32. JDï™ says:

pocession charge:
    Hall was on fire out there.Hopefully this raises his trade value.

Truthed.

33. Bank Shot says:

Fans are usually easy markers when it comes to rookies. Reinhart’s play would draw ire if he were a veteran.

I like both of the top six lines right now. Hall and Nuge are great together. Pouliot and Yak are working well with McDavid.

I think we need more speed in the bottom six though. And defencemen.

Talbot is awesome.

34. dangilitis says:

As Torres would say, “fuckin’ right!!!!”

Best game as an Oiler fan in a long time, I think this easily trumps Yak’s GTG against LAK and the Hall hat trick against Vcr. McDavid has officially won my affection by embarrassing the Flames.
    Also, by eye, Dougie Hamilton helped him out quite a bit in this quest. I know they were on one night rest but he does not look like a top pair D, at least right now. Gio and him did not mesh well at all.

Hendricks by eye seemed to actually fit in well with Nuge and Hall, and I daresay, he wasn’t completely left behind. The Corsi seemed to confirm this.

And I assume someone has mentioned it, but did anyone else laugh when Hrudey praised our second or third line centre? It is also clear that Romaniuk is clearly a moron. Johnson kept making clever points to explain Oilers’ failures (e.g. first 4 games against hard opponents, lack of D/G) but Romaniuk was clearly out to lunch. I guess I shouldn’t complain too much, every time he said something stupid one of our no.1’s would put a puck in the net

35. G Money says:

Woodguy,

War-on-ice calculates its TOI differently. They don’t use the league shift data, they estimate it from the players on ice based on the play by play. I assume they think it’s more accurate.

It does have the consequence of having a slightly different allocation of shots to EV vs e.g. goalie pulled for a penalty.

So a shot difference here or there is to be expected.

36. G Money says:

wheatnoil,

That could do it too!

37. pocession charge says:

Best moment of the game was Connor’s play where he got robbed by Hiller. There was just a collective stunned look on the Flames fans faces. It was absolutely priceless.

38. Really? says:

Very satisfied with the way the Oilers played tonight. It honestly felt very good to have them defeat the Flames convincingly.

Liked the games played by Nuge, McDavid, Yakupov and Reinhart. It is interesting that we are now tied with the Flames in the standings.

39. vishcosity says:

This song I’ve been spinning for a week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfa9yxCpWoA
    Snow Patrol with Martha Wainwright.

Recent honourable mention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqLMZsKQjuk
    Tea Leaf Green. Seems better each time around.

Also, Conor Oberst has been apparently working with a band after Bright Eyes called Desaparecidos. Punk like the Clash. Apparently he knocked it out in the Hardly Strictly Festival. We were working and I wish I could show the photos of this vineyard we just shot but the architect hasn’t seen them yet and I don’t trust to put anything online that we haven’t actually sold.

And the things I’ve learned about wine. I don’t know if I should open this can of worms. But I am, because the beer isn’t gone and the lady went to bed an hour ago.

California has changed and all the varieties need to move. If the land was previously good for a pinot noir, now its not anymore. And the land that was way too cold for grapes prior is now suited for pinots. So vineyards are changing hands via QE money, and the previous purveyors of the ones you’ve heard of have started new vineyards that you don’t know. Keep your eye on Saracina and forget Fetzer. For one example. Like in music, track your engineer. And forget everything that was true five years ago.

The new gig is planting root balls then splicing the new varieties on after they’re established. That way, the roots can stay and any future varietal modifications are easy, comparatively. The old vineyards don’t have any of this technology, plus, as they say, UC Davis is splicing out new varieties every day. So much now is about technique as the agronomic and genetic playing field is pretty levelled out. Except for the old shit which everyone knows and is stagnant in traditional US complacency of accounting and politically correct management models of crippling inaction.

It really comes down to finding a variety you like, finding the regions that it grows best in now, and then finding producers in that region.

This is just blowing my mind (I’m using spotify but found tracks from the album on youtube here):

Just fucking wow.

40. dangilitis says:

Woodguy:
    Did I just post that McDavid had a 81.25% CF?

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH
    AHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

WWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you just post that Gazdic had a 67% Corsi? How did that happen? Especially relative to his line mates

41. jp says:

Магия 10:

LOS ANGELES 41302
    EDMONTON 51402
    CALGARY 51402
    ANAHEIM 40311

I fixed it for you. Feels better doesn’t it?

Nice company if you don’t look too close!

42. dangilitis says:

Really?:

We win tie breaker, season series lead and all 🙂

43. Canadas Jamaican says:

Talbot was great again…please sign him to an extension Mr C…

44. böök¡je says:

McDavid
    Hall
    RNH
    Yak

45. wheatnoil says:

This was a hugely important win becaus Flames, because HNIC, because 0-4…

… but also because tomorrow is scheduled loss night (3rd in 4, 2nd half of back to back). Luckily it’s against the Canucks, so hopefully they do something dumb like hard match Sbisa against McDavid.

46. jp says:

wheatnoil:

At even-strength, the Flames got nothing going against him.

I thought he had a really solid game aside from the one ugly glaring error. He’s had a bunch so far this year, and you only get one chance to make a first impression.

He’s got a ways to go till folks appreciate him, but he’ll get there.

47. Магия 10 says:

dangilitis: McDavid suddenly has twice as many points as Eichel (take that, small sample size)

And 1 lifted puck from the rookie goals lead.

wheatnoil: NST hasn’t fully updated yet. They’re still showing 13min left in the 3rd. That must be the problem.

Good catch.

49. dangilitis says:

kurri_17:
    okay, i’m so irked at the commentators, i’m going to post after lurking for ten years Yes, the greatest player to ever play the game, BENNETT is out – clearly that has cost Calgary the game because he would have destroyed Edmonton.Not a word about Eberle being out.

yeesh.

And maybe that goal helps get some confidence back for Yakupov.He was where he needed to be on that play.

Welcome. And completely agree. I loved how Hall almost scored on the first shift in the 3rd, up 2-1 and outshooting the Flames 3:1 in the 2nd, and they’re harping on the “wasted talent,” etc. then Hall scores. They’re moderately excited about the goal, then go back to bashing the no.1’s some more, and can’t even finish the discussion as Hall has 10 seconds to set up alone on Hiller, followed by Yak’s goal. Then they say Yak will never learn how to play NHL hockey (neglecting the fact that he’s 22) before McDavid rushes in with the spectacular turnover/deke.

All this, and “Johnny Hockey” (TM) Gaudreau gets a free pass on after hours from Cassie…

McLellan ” When we have 2 lines working like that it makes it more difficult for the other team to pick and choose who they want to match against.”

Now close your eyes and imagine unicorns.

51. pocession charge says:

Bank Shot: He’s a turnover machine. And he is in constant danger of being beat wide by guys like Bollig.

I think we need more speed in the bottom six though. And defencemen.

Talbot is awesome.

I think ‘turnover machine’ is hyperbole. And please don’t make me quote the list of players who lead the league in turnovers — it’s an all star team. I’m not worried about him being beaten wide. There was nothing glaring out there tonight. In fact, I think his recovery speed is more than adequate. He wins lots of board battles and his stick is always in a good position. He’s not a dynamic player.

Talbot was awesome. He’s the anti-Scrivens. Economical movement. Fantastic positioning. He seems like the real deal.

The top 6 were great. The third line was not very good. I’m quite disappointed with Anton Lander’s game so far. I expected more from him but he really hasn’t delivered much. It’s early.

52. striker says:

It begins?

53. dangilitis says:

SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAint'sSo!:
    Fuck the CBC This kind of bullshit treatment of hockey teams makes me smile every time I hear their funding has been cut.

Haha – then better not vote Liberal or they’ll get it all back!

54. Магия 10 says:

RexLibris:
    Anyone heard from Cameron tonight?

Not enough life boats aboard the Calgary Titanic

55. RexLibris says:

Remember that 7-2 drubbing we gave the Flames at the end of the lockout season?

That game felt good, but was irrelevant.

This 5-2 kick in the nuts to them feels good. And you know what? It is relevant.

Damn that feels good.

56. pocession charge says:

Woodguy: I saw him make bad decisions with the puck when not under pressure.

Wasn’t impressed.

He’s still better than Gryba, Davidson and Ference though.

Definitely better than G, D, and F. He should be paired with a veteran puck-moving defenceman to maximize his utility. Unfortunately they got rid of Petry.

He’s only played 11 NHL games so I’m not worried about some of the puck management issues. He’ll get better with experience.

57. RexLibris says:

Магия 10: RexLibris:
    Anyone heard from Cameron tonight?

Not enough life boats aboard the Calgary Titanic

58. RexLibris says:

Those CF numbers are insane, even against a team like the Flames who give up a lot of shots against.

Imagine what this team could’ve done tonight with a defenseman who could make a headman pass.

59. dangilitis says:

G Money:
    Going to be the voice of caution here.

Remember, the first four games were against brutally tough opposition.So not all the concern was warranted.

This game was against a shitty team on 3 in 4 nights, so the main thing to remember is FUCK THE FLAMES.FUCK EM.

I will remember the take home message, thanks!

RexLibris: I’m just wondering because I have it on good authority that their rebuild is complete.

I’m pretty sure Gaudreau’s teen stache outscored Hall tonight.

He’s better than Hall right?

61. Магия 10 says:

Absolutely no comparing team PDO Canadian Rockies to team PDO US Rockies.

62. pocession charge says:

Магия 10: Not enough life boats aboard the Calgary Titanic

63. dangilitis says:

G Money: Well, see that’s where I don’t buy into the Flames hype.

Everyone lauds Giordano and Brodie as #1 D.And because of that they don’t need Hamilton to be #1.But G/B numbers are NOT #1D.They get their heads kicked in most nights – just not nearly as bad as the rest of the Flames.

They’re really really good players, no question.

But the Flames are not good enough to anoint them #1D – especially Brodie, who is absolutely abysmal away from Giordano.

Both CAL and EDM scored 1 goal from the “medium danger” area.

EDM scored 4 and CAL scored 1 from the “high danger” area.

Oilers having a nose for the net?

Oh my, please continue!!

dangilitis: By eye, Gio was not as good with Hamilton. We give Sekera shit, and rightfully so, on the 2nd goal, but Gio was feebly sliding across as Yak was putting them up by 3.

Last 3 years of data:

Gio CF% overall 49.9%
    Gio CF% with Brodie 52%
    Gio CF% away from Brodie 46.9%

They may have just paid their best complimentary Dman the most money on the team.

66. Bank Shot says:

pocession charge: Definitely better than G, D, and F. He should be paired with a veteran puck-moving defenceman to maximize his utility.Unfortunately they got rid of Petry.

He’s only played 11 NHL games so I’m not worried about some of the puck management issues.He’ll get better with experience.

He’ll probably get better but we shouldn’t have to watch it at the NHL level.

Let him work that out in the AHL.

pocession charge: Their vaunted defence is porous.Hamilton is surprisingly ineffective.And the forward corps didn’t generate anything 5v5.That’s not a good team.

They were also on a scheduled loss of 3rd game in 4 nights, second of back to back with travel (in WPG last night)

That being said, they’re weren’t good.

68. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: I’m pretty sure Gaudreau’s teen stache outscored Hall tonight.

He’s better than Hall right?

He is.

And they could have two Norris trophies, one for Giordano and one for Brodie.

Also Monahan is the best player from the 2013 draft and Hudler is an 80-pt winger.

They also have the best defense in the league and are a heart-and-soul team who never take a shift off and work for everything they get.

Apparently DIsney writes their player/team bios.

69. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: Last 3 years of data:

Gio CF% overall 49.9%
    Gio CF% with Brodie 52%
    Gio CF% away from Brodie 46.9%

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

They still have to pay Monahan and Johnny Hockey. As well as re-sign Hudler, sign a goalie for next year and populate an effective bottom six.

Everything’s just fine.

70. striatic says:

pocession charge: Their vaunted defence is porous. Hamilton is surprisingly ineffective. And the forward corps didn’t generate anything 5v5. That’s not a good team.

Granted they were gassed tonight in the third from the back to back but still it isn’t like they’ve built up a stirling reputation in their previous games this year.

Plus it wasn’t like chasing McDavid and Hall around all night wasn’t part of why they looked tired at the end.

71. dangilitis says:

striatic:
    The best part of McDavid finding his gear is that he’s doing it with Nail Yakupov.

Solves so many line up issues.

Absolutely. Remember when Yak was bummed about losing Derek Roy because he was his first decent center that he was getting regular time with? Methinks McDavid is an upgrade. Clear silver lining about losing Ebs to start has been the necessity of putting Yak on scoring lines. Has hurt Lander’s start but he has also had plenty of PP time so he will have to use that to his advantage while he waits for Draisaitl to be called up or for Slepyshev to improve.

How about:

Hall-RNH-Hendricks
    Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
    Draisaitl-Lander-Eberle
    Klinkhammer-Letestu-Purcell ???

72. pocession charge says:

Bank Shot: He’ll probably get better but we shouldn’t have to watch it at the NHL level.

Let him work that out in the AHL.

Take it up with MacT. There’s $8.75M worth of useless D in the press box or minors. I agree that one more season (or even half season) in the AHL would have been ideal.

73. raventalon40 says:

GJ Oilers. I kept telling people 4 games is too soon to panic.

That was a character win but against a tired Calgary team. The kids showed up when they needed to and Hall taking a leadership role coming out hard in the third. We still need to get better, though. I’m sure Calgary will show up pissed off for the rematch. Oilers (and Nilsson?) will need to prove that this is no fluke in the back-to-back nights matchup against Vancouver. The Eberle injury exposed our weaknesses in depth but at least this is pushing the team to dig deep and respond.

I have no doubts the team can keep the energy level high. Just gotta keep pushing and believe.

Wonder if we could get Gordon back from Arizona for Purcell+, as both contracts expire and Purcell does things Gordon doesn’t do, and vice versa. If Purcell expires and hits the market, whatever. But if Gordon expires, I can see the Oilers resigning him at a discount on the 3million he makes now. I don’t think the presence of Letestu makes him redundant. Just remember all the faceoff guys the Oil had in ’06.

The only reason I suggest this is because maybe Lander has some value on the trade market. Lander+Nikitin+pick might actually land a decent 2nd pairing defenseman on a not-so-great contract for some team out there with cap issues or trying to restock. Gordon can at least replace Lander and at a discount on Purcell.

74. raventalon40 says:

RexLibris: He is.

And they could have two Norris trophies, one for Giordano and one for Brodie.

Apparently DIsney writes their player/team bios.

75. dangilitis says:

Woodguy: Last 3 years of data:

Gio CF% overall 49.9%
    Gio CF% with Brodie 52%
    Gio CF% away from Brodie 46.9%

Makes sense if tonight was any indication (don’t watch them so don’t know if they were both just gassed). Will be interested to see what Gio’s CF with Hamilton will be by the time Brodie gets back.

76. G Money says:

I have the shot distance data posted at NerdAlert (but it’s basically the same thing as what I linked to earlier).

If you have any feedback, suggestions, requests, etc. please leave here or there.

77. striatic says:

dangilitis: How about:
    Hall-RNH-Hendricks
    Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
    Draisaitl-Lander-Eberle
    Klinkhammer-Letestu-Purcell ???

Having the ability to play Hendricks up the lineup this year would be a big deal though. There are certain teams and situations where playing Hendricks on that line can be of major benefit.

It’s been a game and a third of McDavid Yakupov and one game of Hall, RNH, Hendricks – Let’s see where we are end of the month or so when Eberle is back before demoting him to the 3rd line.

78. rickithebear says:

Oilers D:
    First 5 games #28 13.3 HSCA/60

with Rheinhart in gM
    GM #1 @STL 9.0 HSCA/60
    GM #4 VS STL 14.5 HSCA/60
    GM #5 @ CGY 5.3 HSCA/60
    avg 9.6 HSCA/60 would rank 11th.

Without Reinhart
    Gm #2 @NSH 13.4 HSCA/60
    GM #3 @ DAL 24.9 HSCA/60
    Avg 19.0 HSCA/60

79. pocession charge says:

verdad2.0:
    Losing is inevitable with this team.
    You all know it.

Until it is gutted, nothing will change.

Losing credibility. It’s a real bitch.

80. RexLibris says:

raventalon40: Come on. I would take Winnipeg over Calgary any day and I’m not even supposed to admit that as an Oilers fan…

Sorry, my sarcasm was implied there but pretty subtle.

I’ve heard all of that and more from Flames fans and “non-partisan” media commentators for over a year now.

Just parroting their narratives tonight for good effect.

81. RexLibris says:

Also, Flames play the 3-1-0 Caps Tuesday night.

Toss up whether Hartley starts Ramo, Hiller or Ortio.

Capitals are a + possession team.

Flames’ only win this season is in OT.

Caps have won 2 straight, Flames have lost 3 straight.

Flames could go 1-5-0 to start the season.

82. 719 says:

Watched the game at the dome

McDavid – You guys in Edmonton who get to watch him 40 plus nights a year are lucky. Just a sublime talent. The Flame fans went from booing him to being in awe of his talent.

Gryba – Looks like the mountain from Game of Thrones on skates.

Schultz – Great game. Seems to be everywhere on the ice and is very deceptive.

83. Washingtron says:

Hey guys! Remember just now? When McDavid got two goals, an assist, first star and made some of the sickest moves since rookie Ebs? That was neat, huh?

Now, back to my Buffalo Trace!

(I’m pretending its because the Oilers won and not because I drink all the time)

84. cadooo says:

Watching hockey shouldn’t feel this good right?

85. Clay says:

Mother fuck the fLames. I’m already up $200 at Cowboys Casino.

86. stephen sheps says:

So I’m in Calgary right now for my baby brother’s wedding, and now not only is the boy married but the Oilers appeared to have won and handily, McDavid with 3 points and Yak with 2. All is right in the world…

87. spoiler says:

“Tonight we just went for it,” Hall said. “We didn’t play not to lose, and we weren’t scared to win. It seemed like we’ve been dumping a lot of pucks, playing in very straight lines. Tonight we had a lot of creativity in our game, at the right times. That’s what you want to see.”

Every word rings true to me.

I also thought they had way more structure on breakouts and zone entries tonight. Could see the set plays. The neutral zone wasn’t the minefield it normally is.

88. AsiaOil says:

89. Zelepukin says:

If Hendricks with Hall and Nuge continue to put up points, then I think it’s a given that Ebs slots in with McD and Poo when he is back. Yaks will drop down with Lander and ideally Sleps, but more likely Purcell, because Oilers. Ebs will also return with a hesitant shoulder, so facing 1st pairing opposition isn’t ideal.

90. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Remember that time we lost 4 games in a row to teams any rational person would have assumed we would lose to?

And then, remember when we beat that much worse team playing its 3rd game in 4 nights?

Those were crazy times.

91. Yeti says:

AsiaOil: Really interesting watching Hendricks with Hall and RNH. He’s not the perfect player for that line – but he is the perfect type of player. He was physical, did all the dirty work, and gave Hall and RNH the space to play their game – a poor man’s Pouliot. Don’t get me wrong – I like Ebs – but when you put him on the top line then Hall becomes the physical presence and that is not his game. Also liked CMG, Yak & Pou again.

Yes. Just think of what we could have had if only we’d landed Clarkson.

92. theres oil in virginia says:

Hey Woodguy, regarding Petry, I’m not happy he’s gone either, so please don’t take my comments to you earlier an indication that I think the team is better without Petry.

Thanks for sharing stuff that you learn/hear here, I get most/all of my Oilers info here these days.

Also, FuckTheFlames! The first spark of me actually wanting to watch hockey again was just kindled upon looking at the box score this morning. I think I’ll go watch the highlights and see what happens.

theres oil in virginia:

Also, FuckTheFlames!The first spark of me actually wanting to watch hockey again was just kindled upon looking at the box score this morning.I think I’ll go watch the highlights and see what happens.

Didn’t think that at all.

Your questions were the same ones I had when I heard the “2 year” thing.

Updated Corgi’s now that Naturalstattrick is fixed:

Andrej Sekera 70.37
    Mark Fayne 70.37
    Justin Schultz 60
    Oscar Klefbom 59.09
    Eric Gryba 40
    Griffin Reinhart 39.39

Gio & Dougie are CAL’s top pair.

Oilers’s TOI and CF% against Gio (sorted by TOI against Gio)

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—10:05— 51.85
    Teddy Purcell—-4:04—42.86
    Anton Lander—-3:58—42.86
    Connor McDavid—3:47—100.00
    Benoit Pouliot—-3:37—-50.00
    Nail Yakupov —3:37—-50.00
    Mark Letestu —-1:02—-0.00

If you were wondering who McDavid hung his 78% on, here are McDavid’s most common opponents sorted by TOI vs McDavid and then McDavid’s CF% against them:

Kris Russell—8:48—75
    Josh Jooris—2:36—100
    Michael Frolik—2:33—-50
    Mikael Backlund—2:27—75
    Brandon Bollig—2:18—0
    Brett Kulak—2:13—66.67
    Markus Granlund —1:41—100

Answer? All of em. He hung it on all of em.

Looks like Hartley got his 1st line of Monahan-Teenstache out against the “softer comp” of McDavid.

How’d that work Hartley?

Obviously should have played Bolig more against him.

Ha!

97. jp says:

Still feels good in the morning!

Real tough test tonight though.

98. theres oil in virginia says:

Okay, it’s strange, but just seeing the Oilers uniform on the ice kinda sparked the desire again. First footage I’ve seen this fall.

It doesn’t hurt that we had our first freeze down here in Dixie last night. Feels like hockey again. Beating the Flames is an added bonus. I might just have to give the NHL a little money this year after all.

Seeing Hall outmuscle Doogie Howserton at the net was especially sweet.

Oh yeah, and it looks like that new guy Connor McDavid might turn out to be a pretty good player one day! Woot!

99. jp says:

rickithebear:
    Oilers D:
    First 5 games #28 13.3 HSCA/60

with Rheinhart in gM
    GM #1 @STL 9.0 HSCA/60
    GM #4 VS STL 14.5 HSCA/60
    GM #5 @ CGY 5.3 HSCA/60
    avg 9.6 HSCA/60 would rank 11th.

Without Reinhart
    Gm #2 @NSH 13.4 HSCA/60
    GM #3 @ DAL 24.9 HSCA/60
    Avg 19.0 HSCA/60

What are you trying to say here? If this is due to Reinhart, than shouldn’t he have a good individual HSCA/60?

It’s 16.27 HSCA/60, well above the team average for the games he’s played in.

Plus that goes along with a 10.01 HSCF/60. 38.1% HSCF%.

That’s all quite poor, is it not?

100. fuzzy muppet says:

When Eberle returns, the only problem I see is Hendricks proficiency in the face off circle really helped establish possession and that’s likely lost due to RNHs struggles on the dot.

A nice problem to have. Where does Hendricks slot when Eberle is back? When is he back? I’ve heard no updates

101. russ99 says:

Missed most of the game last night, but I just watched condensed.

McDavid, wow…

I can’t remember the last time we had a player like that.

102. jp says:

Josh Jooris—2:36—100
    Michael Frolik—2:33—-50
    Mikael Backlund—2:27—75
    Brandon Bollig—2:18—0
    Brett Kulak—2:13—66.67
    Markus Granlund—1:41—100

Answer? All of em.He hung it on all of em.

How’d that work Hartley?

Obviously should have played Bolig more against him.

Ha!

Amazing. That’s how it’s supposed to work! And it did!!!

103. Sugar Reijo says:

Well that was fun.

Especially enjoyed that Hrudey had a good seat for it.

Am loving how much communication you see between McLellan/assistants and the players.

McDavid and Hall…good gord.

Edit to add that the Eskimos pulled it out too. Fantastic Saturday all around.

104. GCW_69 says:

Much as it’s great to see Yakupov on McDavid’s line, I think you have to try Eberle with McDavid when Eberle returns. He and Nuge are probably the only two players on the team that think the game on a similar plain to McDavid.

105. dangilitis says:

striatic: Well, no. Eberle plays with Hall, RNH no matter how interesting having Hendricks is on the top line, history of production is much clearer with Eberle so you do that.

I don’t see that as a demotion. I see it as spreading your offence throughout 3 lines. Ebs can be double shifted in place of Hendricks to up the toi. Hendricks would have to prove he could play with them consistently first, but yes to me it would be a big damn deal.

« Older Comments