NO TIME NO TIME NO TIME NO TIME

Peter Chiarelli had a busy summer (seriously, despite what you’ve read) adding prospects and flushing suspects. It’s a culling that must be done, but there’s no guarantee the new hires will be good and those trifling rejects rarely cooperate and take up dealing cards at the local casino. How are things going?

FLUSHED FROM THE 50

1. G Tyler Bunz—He’s had some tryouts but hasn’t stuck. He’s young, should find employment.
  2. G Frans Tuohimaa—9GP, 3.06 .896 with Leksands of the Swedish-1 league.
  3. D Martin Marincin—Three games, no points, -4 with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
  4. D Keith Aulie—Received a TC look from Arizona but was released. Haven’t heard since.
  5. C Boyd Gordon—5GP, 1 point with a surprising Arizona Coyotes club.
  6. C Travis Ewanyk—He’s playing for the Ottawa Senators AHL teams. 2 games, crickets.
  7. C Kellen Lain—Manitoba Moose forward now, hasn’t played yet.
  8. L Matt Fraser—Also with the Moose, four games and an assist.
  9. L Curtis Hamilton—5GP, 2-0-2 with Sparta of the Czech league.

I’d say Boyd Gordon is a guy Edmonton might find useful these days, although foot speed badly needed improvement. If Anton Lander and Mark Letestu can win faceoffs and the entire group can PK, the nine men sent away won’t be missed this season.

ARRIVING ON THE TOP 50

1. G Cam Talbot—4GP, 2.54 .908 and the biggest cause of my good sleeps in October.
  2. G Anders Nilsson—2GP, 1.98 .953 and shooting lights out so far.
  3. G Eetu Laurikainen—1GP, 4.02 .818 and a backup in the AHL.
  4. D Andrej Sekera—6GP, 0-3-3 and on the top pairing with the Oilers.
  5. D Eric Gryba—6GP, 0-1-1 and the anchor of the third pairing.
  6. D Griffin Reinhart—4GP, 0-0-0 and emerging as an everyday player in the NHL.
  7. C Connor McDavid—6GP, 3-2-5, the power and the glory.
  8. C Mark Letestu—6GP, 0-1-1 and performing the job expected well enough to keep it.
  9. L Lauri Korpikoski—6GP, 2-0-2, has the trust of the coach.

I’m pleased with the goaltending early, willing to be patient with the defense (especially Sekera who is improving each game) and over the moon about Connor McDavid (although Chiarelli and friends don’t receive extra credit for successfully avoiding a ‘Robin Kovar moment’ at the draft). The veteran forwards added are still making an impression and really it’s early days for all nine men.

COMPLETE 50-MAN LIST (48)

1. G Cam Talbot, NHL starter
  2. G Ben Scrivens, MIA so far. No idea.
  3. G Anders Nilsson, NHL backup.
  4. G Laurent Brossoit, AHL starter.
  5. G Eetu Laurikainen, AHL backup.
  6. D Andrej Sekera, Top-pairing NHL D.
  7. D Mark Fayne, Top-pairing NHL D.
  8. D Oscar Klefbom, Second-pairing NHL D.
  9. D Justin Schultz, Second-pairing NHL D.
  10. D Eric Gryba, Third-pairing NHL D.
  11. D Griffin Reinhart, Third-pairing NHL D.
  12. D Andrew Ference, Depth NHL D.
  13. D Brandon Davidson, Depth NHL D.
  14. D Nikita Nikitin, Waiting for the UFOs.
  15. D Darnell Nurse, AHL D.
  16. D Brad Hunt, AHL D.
  17. D David Musil, AHL D.
  18. D Jordan Oesterle, AHL D.
  19. D Joey Laleggia, AHL D.
  20. D Dillon Simpson, Still hurt.
  21. D Martin Gernat, Still hurt.
  22. D Ben Betker, ECHL D.
  23. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, No. 1 C in NHL.
  24. C Connor McDavid, No. 1 C in NHL (in 5…4..).
  25. C Anton Lander, checking NHL C.
  26. C Mark Letestu, checking NHL C.
  27. C Leon Draisaitl, AHL C with a lot of promise.
  28. C Bogdan Yakimov, AHL C.
  29. C Jujhar Khaira, AHL C.
  30. C Kyle Platzer, AHL C
  31. L Taylor Hall, Quality NHL forward.
  32. L Benoit Pouliot, No. 2 L in NHL.
  33. L Lauri Korpikoski, checking NHL W.
  34. L Matt Hendricks, checking NHL W.
  35. L Luke Gazdic, NHL Enforcer.
  36. L Ryan Hamilton, AHL winger
  37. L Mitch Moroz, AHL winger/enforcer.
  38. L Kale Kessy, AHL enforcer.
  39. L Braden Christoffer, rugged new pro W.
  40. R Jordan Eberle, quality scoring NHL W badly missed.
  41. R Nail Yakupov, emerging NHL scorer.
  42. R Teddy Purcell, veteran NHL W trying to keep up, still has something to give.
  43. R Rob Klinkhammer, energy winger in the NHL.
  44. R Anton Slepyshev, talented rookie in the NHL, not getting much TOI.
  45. R Iiro Pakarinen, AHL winger who might get a callup soon.
  46. R Tyler Pitlick, AHL winger.
  47. R Andrew Miller, AHL winger with significant skill.
  48. R Greg Chase, ECHL winger, but not for long.

BLUE IN A BOX, LAST NIGHT

oil d oc 17

• The EV TOI continues to be an interesting follow. Gryba led the group in EV TOI, with Schultz not far behind. Rookie Griffin Reinhart played the third most EV minutes.
  • Andrej Sekera had (for me) his best game, with a 50 per cent possession number despite tough ZS’s. He made some unusual, aggressive decisions but that appears to be his nature. I loved his work on the GWG, boxing up a Sedin and then leading the rush before sending a saucer pass to Korpikoski. The big part of that play was Sekera.
  • Mark Fayne also had a good night, matching Sekera’s number and bringing far more of a veteran’s hand to the game than in the first five (imo). He’s not a puck mover, has that in common with Gryba, but can make a pass and seems to be settling in.
  • Oscar Klefbom is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. He owns a complete skill set (well, maybe a little shy on the offense) so can motor with or without the puck, win battles and play effectively deep into a shift. I think he’s going to be a very good player for a long time. That said, he had more chaos to his game than normal and he and Schultz both appeared to be hearing dog whistles at times. Played 1:17 with Fayne and looked good to my eye, wonder if we see that pairing at some point.
  • Justin Schultz is improved without the puck this year. One concern? His defensive awareness has come at the cost of his offense, as he has yet to post a crooked number despite enormous TOI investment. Heard some dog whistles but he also won some battles for the puck. At 25, 209 games into his NHL career, the light is beginning to flicker.
  • Eric Gryba had some good moments with and without the puck last night, he seems to be finding the range. That big body has its uses. 3-9 against Daniel, 2-3 against Horvat. I like his calm feet, still fret about his foot speed but he’s growing on me.
  • Griffin Reinhart played most of the night in a defensive position, without the puck. What I’m noticing about him is positioning. A lot of what happens around Reinhart is at the perimeter but he’s good (and getting better) at showing up in the right places. Encouraged by his progress.

mcdavid rookie scoring

CENTERS IN A BOX, LAST NIGHT

oil c oc 18

• Mark Letestu had a nice night against the Dorsett line. It takes time to suss out new players, but he seems to have a nice range of skills (passing, coverage) and last night was a good one.
  • Anton Lander is playing some rude, rude minutes (tough Z, Purcell not an ideal W for the role) but played the Horvat line to basically a draw.
  • Connor McDavid made a stunning pass to Yak for a goal early and then struggled against the Sutter line at even strength.
  • RNH struggled against the Sedin line until Klinkhammer arrived (1-6 before, 4-5 after) but the real key is that Edmonton’s brilliant young C kept the piss cutters off the scoresheet. Miles and miles of miles and miles for this line last night, and their reward is a zero. Hockey is a funny game.

WINGERS IN A BOX, LAST NIGHT

oil w oc 18

• Luke Gazdic, for the year, is 47% Corsi for 5×5 this season. Somewhere, Pat Quinn is smiling.
  • Rob Klinkhammer! Todd McLellan clearly wants a Ryan Smyth on that top line and the truth is the Nuge line was better with a crash and bang option.
  • Taylor Hall is in one of those zone’s now where you could put a 70-pound weight on him and he’d still score twice. 20 minutes, 9 against the Sedins, 22 per cent ZS and he comes out at damn near 50 per cent. Skated many miles.
  • Lauri Korpikoski isn’t at all what I thought he would be (so far). I imagined a thoughtful two-way winger who made smart decisions and executed them, and a little shy on offense. So far, he seems to be lagging behind (also in photo!) on the coverage and he’s on pace for 27 goals. I give up! McLellan said something about ‘he’s trying to be in the right place’ and that’s probably it. He is the type of player I really appreciate, so he’ll probably be a feature item on this blog often when he finds his way.
  • Anton Slepyshev got bounced from the 1line quicker than you can say “J-F JACQUES!” due to a nasty 1-5 against the Sedins early. He went 4-2 after that on the 4line and I have to say he was noticeable again in a good way.
  • Teddy Purcell is not well suited to the current checking role but is hanging in there. He is also -5 now, which means nothing but after a -33 season in 2014-15 I’m sure you’ll read about that in the msm in the next day or two. For me, it was telling that McLellan had a need on the 1line and went to Klinkhammer for the solution. Ted, meet doghouse, doghouse, Ted.
  • Nail Yakupov scored a huge goal and that’s his biggest asset, but the rest of the evening (at 5×5) was a struggle. The one thing that could break up this line is nights spent without the puck.
  • Benoit Pouliot didn’t have a good night by eye and the math is scathing. I honestly don’t think he had a thing in the tank, he’s so much better than he showed last night.

standings nowSuck it Calgary. I really like the dash four next to the goal differential, that’s a beautiful sight. The Oilers have three games at home this week, against substantial opponents. Can they win two of three, putting their record at 4-5? It’s going to be a far better week than we feared, those two wins on the weekend were mammoth for the fan base and I believe the team, as well. Much respect for Todd McLellan today. If there’s one word that describes him behind the Oilers bench, it’s communication. He’s encouraging, instructing, calming, but he’s most of all communicating.

vitti

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy and fun show on the way. 10 this morning, TSN1260 and scheduled to appear:

• Scott Burnside, ESPN. Around the NHL with stops in Edmonton, Columbus and Los Angeles.
  • Michael Spiedel, Hockey Symposium. Chiarelli’s early work, good, bad, indifferent?
  • Sunil Agnihotri, Copper and Blue. Oilers structure, defense, need for speed.
  • Andrew Bucholtz, 55-Yard Line. A fascinating CFL weekend leaves us with more questions and than answers.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

135 Responses to "NO TIME NO TIME NO TIME NO TIME"

1. Seismic Source says:

Purcell is a human seat warmer…with hands. I hope he’s renting. He’s invisible until he puts a 20 footer into a goalies chest. I think Id rather have the hobbit.

2. Магия 10 says:

2nd conference win last year was on Dec 30.

3. V. Chilly says:

There was a bit of an “Oilers Suck” chant that started in the third period last night, which I think is the sign that you’ve arrived.

4. khildahl says:

Seismic Source,

I couldn’t believe it last night when he got that pass, went around the flailing Vancouver d-man, and then – with the entire slot wide open and completely uncontested – gently placed the puck right on Miller’s crest.

5. supernova says:

Defence

Oscar is talented and will continue to improve but looks a little chaotic.

Schultz is playing much better, and imitating some contact in the oilers zone.

I expect Sekera to continue to improve and simplify his game, he looks like he has been trying to do to much and not just be himself.

Reinhart is a smart, sound player but needs some urgency in his game right now.

Fayne & Gryba both leave me wanting more. I personally expect that to improve the Oilers D it’s where these 2 are. Both are actual NHL D but possibly better off in a more experienced D core. They should be the stabilizers on this team but aren’t yet. I have faith they will get there but they are the weak links IMO.

When we don’t have Purcell in the lineup we will improve. He isn’t a bad player but doesn’t fit this teams need. Square peg – Round hole.

Send down Sleppy bring up Parkinen

6. slopitch says:

If this team can go 500 in the first 20 games with Ebs, Drai and Nurse on route that should make for a fun 2nd half of the season with meaningful games.

As much as I like Talbot (and his has played well), at some point if Nilsson keeps this up we may need to start considering him as the possible starter.

7. Ducey says:

LT, you have the wrong TOI for the D. You have put down their total TOI, not their EV TOI

8. PhrankLee says:

Nice article as always, LT.

My eye has been telling me Poo is hurt. Like Eberle a year ago.

He is not that lanky, wiry pursuit-with-speed winger we counted on last year.

Yet..

9. G Money says:

I parse the verbal from TMc after the game that the ConYak pairing is going to be a long-term thing.

It was really Poo’s bad game that caused a lot of the struggle I’d say. He was bad on every line, while (per the numbers I posted in the last thread) the Yak/McD combo actually did pretty well with Korpi on the line.

I expect Poo will rebound [barring Phrank’s injury theory], but if they do struggle, maybe we’ll see Korpikoski shifted to that line.

10. TheGreatMcMutato says:

Магия 10,

I was trying to remember if the Oilers won two conference games in 2014 or not. Looks like they just came in under the wire, eh? 😉

11. leadfarmer says:

If Purcell gets benched that would make Nikitin, Ference, Scrivens, and Purcell all 14 million dollars of MacT hire sitting on the bench.

I hope Chia is looking for a top 4 defenseman that can quarterback a powerplay. Schultz even with his improvement this year does not have the shot or passing ability to do the job meaning that our only decent pp option is Sekera.

12. Little Poteet says:

supernova,

supernova:
    Defence

Oscar is talented and will continue to improve but looks a little chaotic.

Schultz is playing much better, and imitating some contact in the oilers zone.

Reinhart is a smart, sound player but needs some urgency in his game right now.

Send down Sleppy bring up Parkinen

Not sure if saying Shultz was imitating contact in the defensive zone was clever wordplay or a typo for initiating…

13. robertosanchezzz says:

Магия 10,

Hahaha oh my… Sad times

14. Bag of Pucks says:

“Edmonton’s brilliant young C kept the pisscutters off the scoresheet.”

Were we watching the same game?

Love the result, but it was Anders Nilsson and a whole lot of puck luck that kept the Sedin sisters off the scoresheet imo.

For all that he does well across the 200ft, RNH is still not playing the tough Cs in this league to a draw as yet. And ‘Chance’ is aptly named, he doth taketh, but verily, he doth giveth away A LOT.

Think it’s funny that we assume Hendricks got put on that line to help with the offensive zone dirty work. I’m sure that was a part of it, but I suspect TMac is also realizing the need to have a defensive conscience alongside as well.

If we want to see significant progress this season, that has to be a primary focus. Winning the shots/goals differential when it’s our best against the other team’s best. If we’re evaluating these players fairly, it can’t be purely on their offensive numbers (they look untradeable with that skew). We have to give equal weight to what they’re giving up as well.

15. HeatTreaterJoe says:

leadfarmer,

With Fayne’s minutes dropping, don’t be surprised if you’ll be able to throw another $3.5 million to that heap before too long. 17.5 million dollars not playing (or simply ineffective), but there wasn’t enough money to pay Petry? Oh MacT…

16. Bag of Pucks says:

leadfarmer:

Otherwise known as ‘Operation Draft McDavid?’

17. su_dhillon says:

I was at the game last night and really hoping this winning in Vancouver becomes a thing because forever my nights at GM/Rogers Place have ended in pure sadness usually at the hands of the Seinds so this was a nice change.

McDavid is a blur, you always notice guys who really can skate live but even though I have seen him on TV I was still stunned by how much faster he is than everyone else. Didn’t get a lot done after first period but yeah I plan on being there every time he comes to town.

I was in the end the Oilers defended twice and man the chaos level seems to be there on every shift even when there isn’t a lot going on. Sekera got better as the game moved on and he makes a lot of small clever plays to get the puck to forwards. If he played with someone who is a better puck mover than Fayne, I think it would allow him to make some simpler plays when nothing is there.

At this point I think I may be viewing Jultz through biased eyes but man he seems to miss a lot of obvious assignments in and around the net. He did make some plays by jumping into the rush, there was a 2-1 with Nuge where Nuge couldn’t get him the puck but also some wonky pinches which he he makes worse by not hustling back, there were a couple that I saw not one but 2 forwards get back before he did.

Klefbom does a lot of really nice things but he too had some wonky moments. Playing with Schultz, he has to know that he has to be careful but on one of 19’s really bad pinches, the puck went around to Klefs side and he tried to hold the line too and it ended up in a breakaway. I know it sucks to be 21 and babysitting a player older than you but that appears to be the job and he can’t make 19s mistakes worse in situations like that.

Man is Nielsen huge, he was pretty great all night. For the first time in probably a decade the Oilers appear to have NHL goaltending and they have McDavid, that may be enough on a lot of nights.

18. hunter1909 says:

The first 4 games saw(to my 1.5 eyes) an Oilers team who weren’t run out of the rink, not quite getting the job done either.

After 9 years out of the playoffs, that’s extremely hard to take. Another crap season? No one wanted that.

Lowetide’s blog tends to show more stats with every loss mounting. I guess the stats people need something to keep up their interest. After all, what else has there been to do?

Against the Flames I knew they were definitely in with a chance within the first 5-10 minutes. The Flames look over rated. Oilers went on to stomp them good.

Last night, the Nucks were clearly a better them than Calgary, yet by the middle of the 2nd period I saw the Oilers winning most of the puck battles, driving most of the play and the Canucks looking more and more dysfunctional the longer the game went on – although with the score close they still seemed to have that Veteran team waiting for that last ditch kill going for them.

Methinks the defence is improving fast. Methinks the goalies are both more than adequate. The forwards are starting to come on, showing tendencies which few teams are able to cope with.

TMac is a fantastic coach. Chiarelli reminds me of Lou Lamorello, staring intently at the game, where formerly Lowe+MacT appeared to be more concerned with how cold the beer was, or was there enough relish on their hot dogs. Huge difference.

McDavid? There’s not a hockey player alive who can touch him. And he’s 18 years old. The rest of the team’s going to exponentially improve, because Conner will demand it.

Hilariously, Eberle, Nurse and Drai aren’t even on the current team.

Playoffs? No sweat.

PS: Yakupov’s going to score 45 goals.

19. robertosanchezzz says:

Goaltending- Both look like good bets. This is HUGE!
    Defence- better, could use upgrade on Fayne but he’s coming around.
    Forwards- just getting there. Eberle will be a huge trade up on Slepy.

I smell playoffs… A smell we have not smelled for quite some time.

20. Pouzar says:

hunter1909: Hall? He’s shaken off the rust, and suddenly there are two crazy dangerous scoring lines. He’s looking as good as he ever did, and good for him. RNH has finally got through to me. He’s an outstanding forward.

Hall and RNH as a pair this year CF%: 56.7%

21. dustrock says:

I still think Klefbom has to deal with Schultz’s chaos. Both times there appeared to be a mistake by Klefbom (including the amazing, Stefan-esque miss by Sedin), felt it was actually Schultz who made the first error.

What I like about Gryba and Reinhart is that they seem unflappable and both have their heads on a swivel. There was one moment in the third where Daniel was around the crease and Reinhart just shoved him behind the net. I’m not used to seeing that kind of authority from our d-men the last few years.

The D is also much better about their board work and eating a check if need be than in previous years, which is leading IMHO to far fewer “wide open guy in the slot” chances for the opposition.

Most of all, this was the type of game where we would fade in the third period, as the Flames did against us, and we would put it down to “3rd game in 4 nights, they just didn’t have the legs”.

It was bleedingly obvious they were gassed, but the team had heavy sticks all night long and they battled very hard. Felt the hockey gods, for the first time in years, were smiling on us with the Sedin miss.

Luck is obviously completely random, but man, sometimes it seems like the team that is working the hardest also gets the bounces.

22. alice13 says:

To say that RNH kept the Sedins to zero you have to squint a little bit: he got very lucky on Daniel’s miss in the 3rd. Just as he got back in time to check/tie up his man in the slot he inexplicably veered right(his right, towards the goalie’s left), in the general direction of the puck but leaving his man wide open to cash the gimme. Which he didn’t, of course, but I was surprised to see the 93 on the jersey in the replay.

23. OilClog says:

Reinhart with another quality outing.

Kid knows how to stand players up at the line, direct them to the corners, and keep the crease clear.

Doesn’t stop looking for anything to come in his vicinity.

Kid is a gamer.

24. stush18 says:

Good mcdavid, this group is a bipolar bunch.

Three days ago almost everyone was screaming for tMac and chiarellis resignation. We should trade hall and nuge and Reinhart was a terrible trade. What an incompetent team we have.

Breathe. Level your expectations. You’re all going to suffer heart attacks and miss out on the good years.

25. vinotintazo says:

: D Nikita Nikitin, Waiting for the UFOs.

HAHA

26. Sugar Reijo says:

From Oil’s twitter: “Whenever you get the puck into Yak’s hands, it’s usually going to go in.” @cmcdavid97 on assist to @Nail10_1993

Great, great weekend. Going in figured getting three of the four points would be awesome, but was expecting two.

Have suffered with crap goaltending for so long these almost feel like dirty wins. Easy to forget that goalies are actually on the roster and allowed to be a part of the solution.

Wednesday’s tilt cannot come fast enough.

27. delooper says:

I’m also liking Gryba. I was expecting another “replacement level NHL d-man” like much of the previous hires. But he seems a tad better than that. Or at least, better than what we’re used to…

28. Halfwise says:

stush18: Good mcdavid, this group is a bipolar bunch.

Praying in the name of the omnipotent McDeity. Well played sir.

29. Bruce McCurdy says:

FLUSHED FROM THE 50
    1.G Tyler Bunz—He’s had some tryouts but hasn’t stuck. He’s young, should find employment.
    2.G Frans Tuohimaa—9GP, 3.06 .896 with Leksands of the Swedish-1 league.
    3.D Martin Marincin—Three games, no points, -4 with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
    4.D Keith Aulie—Received a TC look from Arizona but was released. Haven’t heard since.
    5.C Boyd Gordon—5GP, 1 point with a surprising Arizona Coyotes club.
    6.C Travis Ewanyk—He’s playing for the Ottawa Senators AHL teams. 2 games, crickets.
    7.C Kellen Lain—Manitoba Moose forward now, hasn’t played yet.
    8.L Matt Fraser—Also with the Moose, four games and an assist.
    9.L Curtis Hamilton—5GP, 2-0-2 with Sparta of the Czech league.

Where’s Viktor Fasth on this list?

30. delooper says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    FLUSHED FROM THE 50

Where’s Viktor Fasth on this list?

Forgotten, just like Darth Vader flushing the trash and losing the Millennium Falcon.

31. McSorley33 says:

G Money,

Great post last night pointing this fact out…..matched my ugly eye.

Like someone mentioned, it could be a nagging injury….but he seems to be losing quite a few board battles…

su_dhillon,

Thanks for the report.

This is exactly what I see with Jultz too.

I’ve had two people who know a lot about this stuff talk to me about Jultz in the last eek.

Paraphrase both:

“Jultz is like a beer leaguer out there. He waits around for his team mates to make a play or create a turnover. He doesn’t initiate the play at all in his own zone when he doesn’t have the puck, often isn’t in the right spot and gives the puck away to avoid contact”

Those aren’t old scouting reports, but brand new ones.

I really don’t think that any of the Oilers current RHD should be here long term.

The question is how to you get Ellis/Sevberson/Larsson/whoever without giving up too much.

Could Fayne be better if he were down the roster? (I think he’d be a better option for Gryba’s spot)

The right side is not good.

The left side is set for 5 years.

Bruce McCurdy:
    FLUSHED FROM THE 50
    2.G Frans Tuohimaa—9GP, 3.06 .896 with Leksands of the Swedish-1 league.
    3.D Martin Marincin—Three games, no points, -4 with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
    5.C Boyd Gordon—5GP, 1 point with a surprising Arizona Coyotes club.
    7.C Kellen Lain—Manitoba Moose forward now, hasn’t played yet.
    8.L Matt Fraser—Also with the Moose, four games and an assist.
    9.L Curtis Hamilton—5GP, 2-0-2 with Sparta of the Czech league.

Where’s Viktor Fasth on this list?

I didn’t include guys like Fasth and Roy, but you’re welcome to. 🙂

34. RMGS says:

Who cares if they’re winning, but McLellan is using Schultz-Kelfbom as his top-pairing D, not Sekera-Fayne.

35. böök¡je says:

Bag of Pucks:
    “Edmonton’s brilliant young C kept the pisscutters off the scoresheet.”

Were we watching the same game?

Are you kidding me? Did you see that Sedin missed shot from 2 feet out of an empty net ? ANY other year without the magic of McDavid and that goes in.

McDavid is changing everything. The hockey Gords have accepted our decade of sacrifice and have seen our devotion and we are being rewarded!

36. jonrmcleod says:

The goal differential is -2 if the 2 EN goals were discarded.

37. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy: Paraphrase both:

While some of this is undeniable (especially the unwillingness to eat the puck under pressure, long a pet peeve of mine), how do we square this “beer leaguer” verbal with the fact that all of Krueger, Eakins, MacTavish, Nelson, and McLellan play/ed the ever-loving shit out of this guy? There is a HUGE disconnect on this player somewhere.

38. delooper says:

böök¡je,

Does this mean we can slow down on the ritual sacrifices?

39. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: I didn’t include guys like Fasth and Roy, but you’re welcome to.

40. OilClog says:

Fayne is playing in what we thought was Gryba’s spot.

Fayne is on the bottom of the TOI ladder.

Fayne, Schultz, third piece = Kirk?

41. Diesel says:

Can we just dream about how great it would be to get one more playoff run at Rexall?

I walked out of a pre-season win this year to mild weather and had flashbacks to the spring of 2006. Man, that’s a great feeling.

The building is a total mess that we pretend is great because we love it — like your first car, or my ex-girlfriend — but one more ride would be fun.

42. jm363561 says:

leadfarmer:

I hope Chia is looking for a top 4 defenseman that can quarterback a powerplay.

Assuming Ference is bought out and the cap remains unchanged plenty of money to resign Talbot, get a RH Pouliot, and a top notch D. Keep building the foundations this year; next year is going to be really good.

Note – four points after six games, of which only Calgary is in the bottom half of the playoff table.

43. jonrmcleod says:

Colorado has a CF% of 36.7%. Wow. The Oilers’ 45.3% doesn’t look so bad now–and that’s with playing St. Louis twice.

It’s nice watching a game having faith in the goalies’ ability to stop the puck. Also, it’s very calming to see someone other than Scrivens handle the puck behind the net.

44. hunter1909 says:

McLellan’s air drumming impressed me.

Never saw a professional coach do anything like that.

45. John Chambers says:

böök¡je: Are you kidding me? Did you see that Sedin missed shot from 2 feet out of an empty net ?ANY other year without the magic of McDavid and that goes in.

McDavid is changing everything.The hockey Gords have accepted our decade of sacrifice and have seen our devotion and we are being rewarded!

46. PhrankLee says:

McSorley33,

That’s why I think it’s a bicep or peck injury. His usual strengths are not evident. Wonderful forechecker with edges, touch and reach.

47. delooper says:

John Chambers: That’s the real story of the game. Some odd physics prevented a sure goal. The piss-cutters must be pissed.

The announcers made it sound so weird and unusual. I’ve put the puck over the net from half the distance of Sedin. When you get excited and your stick gets more under the puck than you anticipate, over-raising is eeeeasy.

Bruce McCurdy: No worries, I just thought it was an all-inclusive list, didn’t look that closely. The replacement of Fasth with NHL-calibre netminders is a big item. Also, this just in, McDavid >>>>>>>>>> Roy.

True! I’m always hesitant to give credit for No 1 overall’s. I didn’t include Roy because Chia got the job after McDavid’s presence was insured and I never thought Fasth was coming back.

49. McSorley33 says:

I am still not sure I understand why Gryba is a at the top of the EV TOI list…

Not sure why out 5th or 6th best Dman can play that much …..

In Winnipeg, J-Bo – played 15 min EV TOI

Trouba – 12 min EV TOI

Love TMac’s work but I find Gryba’s usage troubling and I think against better teams – we will pay a price for it….

50. Jon K says:

The angle makes it difficult, but look at Nuge’s facial expression the moment he realizes Sedin missed the net. Hilarious. Love that guy.

51. Bag of Pucks says:

Team worst:

Teddy Ruxpin -5
    Mark Fayne -4

Realize +/- is a flawed stat but man does it seem to line up fairly often with what our eyes are telling us.

52. Adam Wu says:

hunter1909:

Hilariously, Eberle, Nurse and Drai aren’t even on the current team.

Playoffs? No sweat.

PS: Yakupov’s going to score 45 goals.

Ah, the joys of fandom….

53. Bruce McCurdy says:

McSorley33:
    I am still not sure I understand why Gryba is a at the top of the EV TOI list…

Not sure why out 5th or 6th best Dman can play that much …..

In Winnipeg, J-Bo – played 15 min EV TOI

Trouba – 12 min EV TOI

Apples & oranges to a degree. The Blues-Jets game was a penalty fest with barely 40 minutes of even strength play. Oilers-Canucks had 57 minutes. So:

Enstrom-Buff = ~18:00 / 40:00 = 45%
    JayBo-Pietrangelo = ~16:00 / 40:00 = 40%
    Gryba = 21½ / 57:00 = 38%

Still a surprising amount, esp. the fact that Gryba was #1 on the Oilers, so I take your greater point, just pointing out the dangers of comparing individual games for stats such as this.

54. rickithebear says:

#155 Gryba (Upr 3rd) 16.45
    #185 Reinhart (3rd/4th) 16.92

55. su_dhillon says:

Woodguy:
    su_dhillon,

Thanks for the report.

This is exactly what I see with Jultz too.

Paraphrase both:

“Jultz is like a beer leaguer out there.He waits around for his team mates to make a play or create a turnover.He doesn’t initiate the play at all in his own zone when he doesn’t have the puck, often isn’t in the right spot and gives the puck away to avoid contact”

Those aren’t old scouting reports, but brand new ones.

Honestly I think you could live with some of the lapses in his own end if you were trading it for top level 5×5 offense but we haven’t really got that, for all the pinching and jumping into the play, even when it looks good not much comes of it.

The not getting back after turnovers or pinches in opponents end is the killer,, if you are going to make those plays you can’t be 3rd or 4th guy back.

I agree the RD doesn’t really have an answer, I had assumed when Sekera was brought in that either he or Klef would play on right side, I still hope they try it.

56. Adam Wu says:

Bag of Pucks: Otherwise known as ‘Operation Draft McDavid?’

Unless, of course, you cleave to a theory I had brought up months ago, that the Hockey Gods rewarded the Oilers with McDavid because, unlike all the other contenders, they did NOT deliberately try to tank. They tried to improve, and failed miserably, and the dice-holders decided that rewarding competitive integrity is more important than punishing incompetence.*

So we can consider the $14million has a ritual sacrifice….

*That said, the obtaining of McDavid did trigger a sequence of events that led to the ouster of the incompetent ones from their prior positions of responsibility….

57. Bruce McCurdy says:

Looked up Fasth and he’s sporting a terrific 1.98 GAA but a mediocre .909 Sv% thru 9 games. That works out to under 22 shots faced per 60.

58. Bag of Pucks says:

Adam Wu: However, there were alternate available strategies for said Operation that would not have cost $14 million in cap space!

So we can consider the $14million has a ritual sacrifice….

I subscribe to the theory that lottery odds have no agenda.

Getting McDavid was pure dumb luck at a time when we as a fanbase probably needed it the most.

It’s funny to think that both MacTavish and Lowe probably saw it as an immediate miracle, and thus proof of their divination that would finally exalt them to their long awaited positions of Master of the Universe.

Didn’t quite work out that way. Thank Gord!

Like they said on the broadcast last night, the Oilers are the first team to have 4 1st overalls score in the same game (against Calgary). The obvious explanation offered that no other team has managed to stay so bad for so long despite the obvious talent infusion. Truly, these are records you don’t start off wanting to set, but we’re in uncharted territory now in the Land of Rebuild.

59. Sugar Reijo says:

Adam Wu: So 2 wins is all it takes to go from “trade these cowardly bums” to “playoffs? No sweat”?

Sadly, pro rated for the last nine years, back to back road wins over divisional opponents for this team *is* banner worthy.

And that’s not even counting that it was the Flames and Nucks.

That’s damn near grounds for stealing the Stanley Cup and using a pen knife to self-carve everybody’s name on it.

60. Bag of Pucks says:

This board’s a little too happy and content for a Monday morning.

Seems the right time to remind everyone that I suggested trading Eberle for Hampus Lindholm yesterday. lol

61. vinotintazo says:

I’m worried about Fayne. I’ve seen Gryba better than him

62. Bruce McCurdy says:

vinotintazo:
    I’m worried about Fayne. I’ve seen Gryba better than him

So are you happy about Gryba?

63. vinotintazo says:

Bruce McCurdy: So are you happy about Gryba?

Yeah I’m ok with having 1 player like him on our team.

Plays simple and physical. while rotating partners every 1-2 games… not bad.

64. John Chambers says:

Upgrade options on Gryba …

1) Kris Russell – low cost, UFA at season’s end, team already mathematically eliminated … kind of a perfect short-term fit, but can’t happen.
    2) Carl Gunnarsson – I’m not sure why St. Louis would trade him as I would assume they would want depth on D during a championship window
    3) Cody Franson – might be the best actual option. Would play 2nd pair with Sekara or Klefbom, bumping Fayne down to 3rd.
    4) Ron Hainsey – plays over 20 mins a night for the ‘Canes. Has another year on his contract at a low dollar figure.

Those are all bottom-pair options from bottom-feeding teams.

The real fish Chiarelli should be willing to pay for is Justin Faulk. You’d figure he would be the last guy they would consider trading, but given that they have Ryan Murphy and Noah Hanifin, a package like Draisaitl + Slepyshev, + 2016 1st would be pretty enticing to a re-building team.

65. rickithebear says:

3.7 HSCA/gm

Our 3rd pair is fine
    Gryba 4gm 3.75 HSCA/gm
    Reinhart 4gm 3.5 HSCA/gm

Schultz 4.7 HSCA/gm

66. khildahl says:

I know gloating is unbecoming, but it feels pretty good today, so I’m just going to roll with it:

67. blainer says:

Two wins.. great Its a start. We got lucky last night with the Sedin miss and great goaltending. My thoughts from last nights game..

We lost way too many faceoffs especially in our own zone. To me and this has been debated but a faceoff loss kills possession period.. Really missed hendy last night as he is really helping in that area.

The single biggest factor is goaltending. I was wrong to call out Nilsson for a couple of softies he let in. He has been spectacular. I think it’s possible he is this years Dubnyk and could get us to the playoffs if he keeps this up.. How do we not go back to him for the next game..

Shultz has to produce points in order to make up for his poorish Defense.. Absolutely agree we NEED the right side D fixed asap…

Oh and much to my surprise Yak is playing much better even with the poor CF last night..

stush18,

Not on this blog.

What happens on HF doesn’t happen here.

A couple of lunatics post, but what you are saying simply didn’t happen.

69. jake70 says:

hunter1909:
    McLellan’s air drumming impressed me.

Never saw a professional coach do anything like that.

Someone posted a video clip couple months back of “Eakins” playing guitar. Couldn’t find it. Was pretty good.

Bruce McCurdy: While some of this is undeniable (especially the unwillingness to eat the puck under pressure, long a pet peeve of mine), how do we square this “beer leaguer” verbalwith the fact that all of Krueger, Eakins, MacTavish, Nelson, and McLellan play/ed the ever-loving shit out of this guy? There is a HUGE disconnect on this player somewhere.

His TOI speaks to the quality of the RHD on this roster more than his own quality imo.

71. vinotintazo says:

Woodguy: His TOI speaks to the quality of the RHD on this roster more than his own quality imo

73. John Chambers says:

Woodguy,

And indeed we can agree that feeding Schultz more minutes than Petry was an indefensible tactical error from the mannequin dementor.

Woodguy:
    stush18,

A couple of lunatics post

thank for not identifying me by name. Appreciate it. 🙂

75. böök¡je says:

jake70: Someone posted a video clip couple months back of “Eakins” playing guitar.Couldn’t find it.Was pretty good.

He is wicked with a chainsaw and boomstick too. d

Eakins is everywhere!

76. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: thank for not identifying me by name. Appreciate it.

I don’t think you are allowed to win the thread on your own blog.

77. Bruce McCurdy says:

JDï™:
    Yost with quite the graph: https://twitter.com/travisyost/status/656141860956540928/photo/1

Lowetide: thank for not identifying me by name. Appreciate it.

I only shit talk you on twitter.

79. JDï™ says:

Peter Chiarelli had a busy summer …

I feel like this opening line was meant for someone in particular, but I’m not sure they read the blog.

80. RexLibris says:

JDï™:

That’s awesome. Thanks for that.

Here was my response: Rex Codex Libris ‏@CodexRex 4m4 minutes ago

@travisyost Is it me or is it accelerating towards some as-yet-undetermined point? Is there a terminal velocity to this kind of coaching?

81. RexLibris says:

Bruce McCurdy: The most damning par tis how the cliff gets steeper over time. If his team was just being overwhelmed it would be a straight line trending down. But by this view they are getting worse by the month.

I’d love to see something similar with Hartley, another Jack Adams winner.

Suspect we’d see something similar but not quite as dramatic.

Fascinating that Roy’s chart seems to be gaining speed.

82. Adam Wu says:

Woodguy: https://ca.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/what-we-learned–you-couldn-t-see-this-bad-nhl-start-coming-135609075.html

83. RexLibris says:

Not to get into the politics here, but I was floored by this one today:

“Political columnist resigns amid disagreement with paper’s endorsement of Concervatives” Andrew Coyne, a Conservative commentator with the National Post, resigned over a disagreement with his employer over public endorsements of political parties.

I’ve been reading Coyne for years now and for him to resign over this is way past Canary-in-the-coal-mine.

84. hunter1909 says:

Bag of Pucks: Like they said on the broadcast last night, the Oilers are the first team to have 4 1st overalls score in the same game (against Calgary).

I’ve noticed they say something more like “Four first round picks” …seeing that “Four first overall picks” seems to be too much mouthful of words to spew out.

All the better for pissing Calgary fans off with, since the new narrative is going to be something along the lines of: “Well, they’ve got all those top picks. No wonder they’re winning”.

85. JDï™ says:

RexLibris: Is there a terminal velocity to this kind of coaching?

It would be nice to see a similar graph of the GQ Dementor’s NHL time.

86. hunter1909 says:

Adam Wu: The amount of “trade Hall/he’s had 1 years experience 5 times/he’s a coward” did seem to have a notable uptick though. Particularly notable since this has typically been a fairly pro Cannonball forum.

Speaking as a fickle fan(an oxymoron since I’m an Oilers fan), it was a corollary from losing 4 games in a row after the horrorshow of the past 3,4, 5, 6+ years.

It was a case of “Throw us fans a bone already” thinking.

Fans don’t earn a living from hockey. Fans don’t owe nobody nothing.

87. khildahl says:

böök¡je,

What did Bruce Campbell ever do to you to deserve that?

88. hunter1909 says:

speeds ‏@hockeysymposium 5m5 minutes ago

1 retweet 0 favorites

90. RexLibris says:

speeds ‏@hockeysymposium 5m5 minutes ago

Today on @Lowetide’s radio show, I mused about an offer sheet to a D being a potential avenue. Here’s the list: http://www.generalfanager.com/freeagents?expiryyear=2016&position=D&shoots=Both&team=all&RFA=1 … 1 retweet 0 favorites

Jacob Trouba!

*swoons*

He and Nurse together would be some kind of nasty.

91. Professor Q says:

Don’t forget to vote if you haven’t already, my fellow Canadians!

speeds ‏@hockeysymposium 5m5 minutes ago

That’s a wonderful shipping list for the most part.

My favorites (in no particular order):

Spurgeon (RH)
    Barrie (RH)
    Wiercioch (LH)
    Vatanen (RH)
    Ekholm (LH)
    Rielly (LH)
    Trouba (RH)
    Ceci (RH)
    Matta (LH)
    Lindhom (LH)
    Dumba (RH)
    McNabb (LH)

Wow.

93. khildahl says:

hunter1909: If Eakins played guitar, he’d be the one refusing to leave the dressing room because the M+M’s weren’t the right colour.

More like because they weren’t a vegetable platter.

94. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy: Being the best RHD option on the roster and getting the most ice time does not mean he’s universally a good option (regardless of roster)

I wrote a much longer comment but lost it to the dreaded timeout, maybe I’ll turn it into a CoH post instead. Short version, Schultz has had 5 head coaches & X assistants since his arrival in Edmonton in 2013 — less than 3 years ago — & for all the chaos & confusion all have seen fit to give him big minutes. So there is something approaching a consensus there besides “coach’s favourite for some unknown reason”.

I’m hopeful that an experienced and stable staff that includes McLellan, Johnson and Herbers will bring out improvements in this 25-year-old who just passed the 200 GP mark. That’s an apprenticeship for d-men in this league. Already this year I am seeing some improvements in his game, especially without the puck. Commented on that in last night’s game grades, and Swedish Poster delivered some stats in this comments section that supported that observation with numbers. Schultz’s improvement can’t happen fast enough, but I’d argue it *is* happening and I for one am prepared to watch & wait.

RexLibris:
    Not to get into the politics here, but I was floored by this one today:

WARNING!

Rant mode ON:

He resigned as editorial page editor and kept his $100K something job as a columnist at the same paper. Give me a break, that is NOT much of a sacrifice. The guy has never worked a day in outside of the government protected and subsidized media industry. #onepercenterwelfare Those jobs are only open to the sons and daughters of the 1%, because entry to those industries is through unpaid internships. So this is how the 1% keep the riff-raff of ordinary people out of the media and opinion setting industries.

Coyne has made his career being a faux conservative for the latte-sipping progressives in Rosedale, Forest Hill, and the Glebe, a guy the CBC can put on the air and proclaim “balance”, so they don’t have to put a real conservative on the air. He is the uncle of one of Pierre Trudeau’s children. Son of a former head of the Bank of Canada. He is a mouthpiece of the 1% and the oligarchs and crony capitalism…Canada’s Laurentian overlords.

It is a typical self-promoting Coyne stunt. If he meant it, he would have stopped working for the Post completely, but there are so few of those $100K media jobs for bloviators.

So who are on teams that might have trouble matching an offer sheet due to cap issues or internal cap?

Spurgeon – MIN
    Dumba – MIN

I thought the ol;’ double offer sheet to MIN would be awesome. First and 3rd for Dumba and 2nd round max for Spurgeon.

They have Reilly coming so might be inclined to take the pick.

Wiercioch & Ceci- OTT has internal cap and almost traded Weircioch last year as per hubbub

OTT will walk from Wiercioch way before Ceci, another double offer sheet candidate.

Vatanen and Lindholm ANA – internal cap. I’d suggest another double sheet but you’ll need an offer where a 1st is compensation for both of those for ANA to walk away.

They probably go to the mat for Lindholm and may walk from Vatanen (based on usage)

Matta – PIT is tight to cap

McNabb – Maybe shouldn’t make this list, but LAK still with cap issues.

Ekholm – Internal cap in NSH

Bruce McCurdy: Yes it does. But you do realize that the identical statements applied to Tom Gilbert and Jeff Petry while they were here, and people around these parts often used them as a defence of the player. “Not his fault the team doesn’t have a better player”. Which is a true comment about all three of those guys.

98. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: For me, a lot of JS’s issues have to do with roster makeup. I never understood the push by management and coaching of Schultz over Petry in all situations. I now expect that problem to be solved when the team acquires another two-way RH D. I have suggested Sekera as an option and remain hopeful we see it (Sekera has played RH side in the past).

99. jake70 says:

böök¡je: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAonl9nN03Q

He is wicked with a chainsaw and boomstick too. d

Eakins is everywhere!

Yeah that’s the clip. How did Evil Dead end up at Army of Darkness – not quite the Star Wars trilogy – will have to watch those again and try not to fall asleep…lol.

100. vinotintazo says:

Lowetide: I would be extremely displeased if they sign him to a five-year deal, as an example. I imagine many would be upset if Chiarelli walks him this summer, using the other side of the coin.

do you think he sings a klefbom type deal? like north of 4M and < 4.5M?

101. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: I think part of the issue is we don’t have the same time advantage with chultz because of the way he entered the system. He’s going to get paid before the ‘300 game plateau’ we talk about all the time. Meaning, and I think this is something we can universally agree on, Edmonton has to make the call before any of us know.

Bruce McCurdy: Gilbert was signed to a 6-year, $24 MM pact after 92 games of NHL experience. Petry wasn’t. Schultz wasn’t. Draw your own conclusions.

103. McSorley33 says:

Bruce McCurdy,

JDï™:
    *****************************************************************************************
    Wow – that chart bears an uncanny resemblance to my stock market returns….

vinotintazo: do you think he sings a klefbom type deal? like north of 4M and < 4.5M?

I don’t know. I think that’s possible and also think it’s possible they walk him or trade him.

Bruce McCurdy: By “all situations” do you simply mean the amalgam of ATOI? Because if you look at specific situations Petry had the push in SH TOI & d-zone starts, while Schultz historically got it on the PP and o-zone starts, but not “all situations”.

Badly worded, sorry. I meant “in any situations” as in I would have had Petry as an equal, even in offensive situations.

Bruce McCurdy,

Sure, but that has nothing to do with anything.

You know that myself and many here were big supporters of both Gilbert and Petry.

In both cases they were the Oilers’ best option for RHD and both were much better than Jultz.

Speaks to the denigration of RHD on the team more than anything.

Certainly doesn’t mean that Jultz is worth keeping and we’ll miss him if he’s gone.

I never said this at all.

The reasons are very well known. He’s the best option this year.

Last year he got the ozone push with Klef while Petry toiled in the coal mine against the best of the best.

I’ve never once said a coach isn’t smart for playing so much. I whine at the GM for him being the best option.

I did whine about this a bit when Petry was still on the roster, but not since.

Petry’s 5v5 pts/60 were better than Jultz last year.

Again you tarring me with a brush I don’t deserve.

I hope he improves too.

The problem I see is that even with improvement he should be getting at most 2nd paring minutes. I just don’t see a first pairing guy there.

That’s not a big knock. I thought Petry was a 2/3 rather than a 1/2.

The problem is that he’s a $4MM RFA. if you want to keep him long term as your 2RD you’re up in Petry range for salary + and I just don’t see Julz getting there.

Jultz issues don’t seem be ability in natrure like many young Dmen.

They are “willingness” issues.

He can physically do the job, I just don’t think he likes all aspects of his job and avoids the ones he doesn’t like.

I’m not sure you can teach that out of him.

Bruce McCurdy,

If you post “times out” just hit refresh on your browser and it will post.

You shouldn’t lose a post again.

Works on my phone and PC.

108. Caramel Obvious says:

On Schultz the problem is, as has been stated by many people, not his defensive work, whether he is a beer leaguer or improving. The problem is that he is an offensive defenseman who is terrible on the powerplay, a puck-moving D who isn’t a great passer. Those are things you just can’t have.

Gryba is better at moving the puck than I thought he’d be. If we’re upgrading the D based on play so far, the upgrade is on Reinhart.

I didn’t know Andrew Coyne and Dallas Eakins were related.

Bruce McCurdy: Gilbert was signed to a 6-year, $24 MM (2008 dollars) pact after 92 games of NHL experience. Petry wasn’t. Schultz wasn’t. Draw your own conclusions.

Kevin Lowe was GM and Gilbert had beat Coffey’s record for rookie points for a Dman.

Lowe overpaid in retrospect, but it wasn’t far off the going rate.

No one complained about his cost when he put 45pts the next year.

His next two years of 31 and 26 made the rumbling start.

My guess is Lowe/MacT were once bitten twice shy until Jultz picked them and they worked so bloody hard to get him that there is just no way they could see him bad, especially after ripping up the AHL.

110. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: I have. The fact some of us would be uncomfortable with that kind of investment for Schultz surely suggests there is a real and strong concern over his actual quality.

Yep. Some people had similar concerns about Petry.

111. G Money says:

JDï™: Nice. Until Varlamov spontaneously combusts during a game, that curve looks set in stone.

It would be nice to see a similar graph of the GQ Dementor’s NHL time.

I actually did build exactly that chart for the last five years. Pre-NerdAlert, so I would have just posted it as a link here.

I’ll see if I can find it.

The Dementor does not look as bad as most people would expect. He is “fully in context”.

Speaking of which, did anyone notice his name in the chart of “people who took forever to score a goal” they posted after Bartkowski scored?

112. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy:
    My guess is Lowe/MacT were once bitten twice shy until Jultz picked them and they worked so bloody hard to get him that there is just no way they could see him bad.

Bruce McCurdy: Yep. Some people had similar concerns about Petry.

You see Schultz as being the latest “one who got away”?

114. stush18 says:

Woodguy,

I think your missing the point.

Petry, Klef, sekera, etc were a “better” players.

Why is Schultz getting the ice time push? From every coach he has received, despite playing with “better” dmen.

115. Ice Sage says:

Good to see Chia Pete headline the article because he won the game last night (with a little lottery-ball help) – except for Yak, all the point-getters (and Anders the Giant) were his acquisitions.

Am loving the gritensity of this team.

116. Ryan says:

Woodguy,

The problem with Jultz is that he is as we all know an ‘offensive dman’ who can neither shoot nor headman the puck.

Imagine if the Oilers had a player who could headman the puck up the ice better than say Sekera?

117. Ribs says:

Justin Schultz. The longest and most painful pump and dump of all time, haha.

Bruce McCurdy: Yep. Some people had similar concerns about Petry.

Sure.

What does that have to do with this though Bruce?

I remember people saying Gretzky wouldn’t survive the NHL because of his size.

Do we invoke Gretzky every time someone’s ability to compete physically in the NHL is questioned?

stush18:
    Woodguy,

I think your missing the point.

Petry, Klef, sekera, etc were a “better” players.

No, I;m not.

I spelled out exactly why Jultz got the TOI he did last year.

Its funny you mention Klef, I guess you may not know he’s Jultz pairing mate.

There is a rational line of thought that Jultz gets all the ice time because he’s Klef’s partner, not the other way around.

That being said, today, Jultz is the best RH DMan on the team.

He is not being used against the best players in every game and we may see McLellan change that.

We might not.

Ribs:
    Justin Schultz. The longest and most painful pump and dump of all time, haha.

121. TeeVee says:

Looks like Andrew Miller has gotten the call; Hendricks to IR. I would have thought Pakarinen would have been first.

122. JDï™ says:

Ribs: Justin Schultz

Just not ready to be a first pairing defender.

123. Ribs says:

Lowetide: the worst for me was Poti. My boy loved that player. I had to console him a lot.

Ouch. I imagine there were some heartbreaking nights for him, for sure. The Poti-booing was definitely a low point for Oilers fans.

124. BONVIE says:

Bruce McCurdy: May be true, except Chiarelli extended him and McLellan is playing the shit out of him. That’s an independent confirmation in my view that he is, in your words, the “best option”.

Bruce is always the voice of reason!!! I am not sure how you can look at Shultz’s game so far this year and be disappointed he finally has a strong positional dman partner to anchor him, and is trying to play right way. I hear a few criticisms about Shultz being the 3rd man back on certain plays. It’s called holding the line and it’s going to happen where sometimes you hold and the odd time you get beat. Every team gets their Defenseman to hold the line more now in today’s game then ever.

A lot of criticism where none is due, the kid is trying to play right harder on pucks, boxing out, taking the body.

If you want to see someone who is on the Oilers who is not making the effort to play the game right see one of our veterans Purcell, not setting a good example for the young guys. Purcell is the exact polar opposite of Hendricks.

Back to Shultz he is needed more on this team now then ever, we finally have guys like Klefbom, Rheinhart, Gryba that can play a great physical and positional game we need mobility to complete these pairs.

1 year at the minimum increase isn’t a glowing recommendation.

Yes, Julz gets all the minutes he can eat.

If an upgrade as marginal as Ellis were on the team I posit that Schultz’ minutes would crater.

You are equating most minutes with best in terms of TOI last year between Petry and Schultz.

Do you think Schultz is better than Petry?

Eakins played Petry against the very best and kept Jultz sheltered in terms of QC (as much as you can when the minutes are big)

What does this tell us about the coach’s opinion?

This year Sekera and Fayne have the toughest QCRelCor and Jultz the easiest.

What does this tell us about how McLellan views Jultz?

Jultz is the best option to help create offence behind RNH. That’s a fact looking at the last two years of data.

What is up for debate is whether he can help drive offense for anyone else.

Right now the answer is no.

127. jake70 says:

JDï™: Just not ready to be a first pairing defender.

Geez….thanks…reading along here and realized I hadn’t yet voted today……..polls close here in just over an hour.

128. AsiaOil says:

That is indeed the case – and try as I might – I can’t see Shultz as anything other than “less bad” this season. I truly believe they are are pumping him because his shot and passing are atrocious for an supposed “offensive defenceman”. Last night still saw multiple plays where he chose the weak, risky option instead of paying the price to make a safer play. I’m not one to demand every dman play smash-mouth – but if you are a finesse player – you damn well better be smart, talented and still willing to pay the price when necessary to make the right play. It’s just not in Shultz. He’d be fine as a 3rd pair guy but he’s is neither paid nor played that way. Hope he’s gone by the trade deadline.

We need a solid 2 way guy with a decent shot who we sign via UFA or by trading Shultz. The right side is bad – but if we can flip Sekera over there while the young guys develop – it would leave just one hole to fill. I like Spurgeon as a do-able target in trade this season to play with Reinhart – then bring up Nurse after you dump Shultz and play him with Fayne. Not sure what MINN needs beside cap room. Maybe we can sell Shultz for spick – then use that pick and Gryba to get Spurgeon?

After Trade Deadline
    Klef Sekera
    Reinhart Spurgeon
    Nurse Fayne

Young as hell but at least all of the kids have a stable vet to play with and less demanding roles as you go down the pairs. I see a use for Gryba and would explore resigning him – but the price has to be around $1.5 million or you sell him at the deadline. The days of overpaying 3rd pair dmen are over.

Ryan:
    Woodguy,

129. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy: So there is something approaching a consensus there besides “coach’s favourite for some unknown reason”.

I never said this at all.

And I never said you said it. I am simply trying to parse Schultz’s situation, not put words in your (or anybody in particular’s) mouth. In fact I agree with you — and said so — that it’s a case of him being the best RHD option. 5 coaches have reached a similar conclusion. And yes, that is on the GM(s) to a large degree.

130. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy: 1 year at the minimum increase isn’t a glowing recommendation.

Yes, Julz gets all the minutes he can eat.

No it’s not a glowing recommendation. The minimum increase was actually zero so he did get a tiny raise, but it’s very much a “show me” contract. Thankfully the new GM chooses not to “challenge” guys who are UFA at the end of the year.

The fact he was re-upped suggests that the GM thought he was a better option than others available, including Cody Franson but not including OEL. 😐

You and I have every right to disagree with Chia’s conclusion, but it is the one that he reached and acted upon in that limited, one-year kind of way. So let’s see how he does. I for one am somewhat encouraged through the tiny sample of 6 GP that growth is occurring in this player. He sure in the hell needs it, on that score I think we can emphatically agree.

Bruce McCurdy,

I think we mostly see it the same way.

I just didn’t think I should be lumped in people who didn’t see value in Gilbert and Petry.

The situations are the same on the surface (player playing above where he should) but the underlying issues are much different.

Petry and Gilbert showed they could handle those minutes and be a positive, even if they should be playing in the second pairing on a good team.

Schultz’ hasn’t played against the best. He is sheltered via QC and his results are pretty meh when you consider all the time with RNH w/ copious ozone starts.

I don’t think there’s much value in Schultz that’s I missing.

132. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: You see Schultz as being the latest “one who got away”?

Not necessarily. I do see parallels with Gilbert and Petry and before them the guy you mentioned Tom Poti, all NCAA-trained defenders who broke in here but wound up somewhere else just as they were around that 300 GP mark.

Important note: “parallels” and “similarities” ≠ “the same”. They are all very different people and players, even as all could be generally classified as “mobile puckmovers with NCAA backgrounds”.

I’d argue the Oilers got better value for money for Petry and his low-ball contracts, and further that they got better value in trade for Petry than they did for Gilbert. Poti was pre-cap era when his contract was more a curiosity than a competitive item, so there’s no comp to be made. I guess it had an impact on Oilers’ renowned internal budget, but that’s not the same as the cap, which has added a whole new dimension to team-building.

To this point Schultz is pulling down way more coin than Petry did on his second contract, and somewhat less than Gilbert did on his. I certainly wouldn’t call him cheap, whereas Petry was a bargain at $1.75 MM for two years, even as the writing of his eventual departure was on the wall the day he signed it.

133. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy:
    Bruce McCurdy,

I think we mostly see it the same way.

Darcy, it is not personal at all. I am not lumping you with other people who reached different conclusions about different players, I am merely comparing the situations. Gilbert and Petry both had their detractors — loud, obnoxious ones in some cases — who never had any use for them and were not unhappy to see them go. (Some came to their senses only after Petry was traded, but I digress.)

Your case is, as always, a cogent one backed by a solid understanding of the players’ roles within the team. A lot more nuanced than the “too soft!” epithet that followed Gilbert and Petry around. Fact is that the “too soft!” people are generally all over Schultz as well, leaving him precious few defenders. It”s quite sad, actually.