MILLER TIME OVER, INCOMING PAKARINEN

The Edmonton Oilers saw Andrew Miller for 6:45 on Nuge’s line and then decided to look at another. The new man is Iiro Pakarinen, who has been a favorite on this blog since his signing (Pakarinen was ranked No. 5 last November on the Top 20 Prospects list).

DRAFT DAY SCOUTING REPORT

• Kirk Luedeke: Undrafted overager has nice size, should add some bulk and get stronger. Heavy feet with a choppy stride, but decent straight-line speed. Needs to pick up the initial burst to have a shot at the NHL. Keeps his stick on the ice and goes to the net well. Opportunistic scorer throughout; managed to be in right place at right time and made his opportunities count. OK defensively; doesn’t do anything to stand out in his own end. Overview: Pakarinen had a pretty good hand in Finland’s offense during the preliminary round, but seems to be a longshot as an NHL prospect. Might have done enough to get drafted late, but not a prospect to keep a close eye on as the 106th-ranked skater by Central and not likely to be on many teams’ lists if at all.

I like this player. He’s aggressive, came out of the chute like a house on fire when he was recalled last year, maybe he’ll do the same. Here’s a portion of the summer RE conversation (complete projection here).

1. What role will he play in Bakersfield? Scoring winger. I think Pakarinen and Andrew Miller have a chance here, it’s going to be an interesting race. There IS an NHL job—value contract and skill winger who can play up and down the lineup—and both appear well qualified.
  2. What has changed since he signed? In the last season on RW, we’ve seen another year of Nail Yakupov not grabbing an NHL job, and Teddy Purcell is a year older. One of the biggest changes is Pakarinen, who has passed several prospects who were ahead of him on the day he signed.
  3. What does he need to work on? Defensive play, although his aggressiveness is probably going to come in handy in the McLellan system. His skills set up really well for McLellan, this is a significant opportunity for the young man.
  4. What is the best thing about him? After years of watching Oilers prospects from the farm step into their NHL debut like a deer in the headlights, Pakarinen hit the gap like a bat out of hell and hasn’t looked back since. He’s in a helluva hurry, that’s a good thing.
  5. What one thing will get him to the NHL? There’s more than one thing, but speed, physical play and aggression are at the top of the charts.
  6. What one thing will keep him from the NHL? I’m not sure the young man can score enough to beat out the oncoming rush. Remember, there’s the established wingers (Eberle, Purcell), the No. 1 overall (Yakupov) and then 10 miles of prospects from Tyler Pitlick to Andrew Miller to Anton Slepyshev and on it goes.
  7. In terms of talent, who would be his No. 1 roadblock among RW prospects? Leon Draisaitl. No doubt. Leon would be a substantial roadblock to all these prospects if he gains traction on RW. He could threaten all but Jordan Eberle for available playing time.

I projected him for 20 games in the NHL this season, a slight uptick from his actual NHL GP last year. Todd McLellan appears to be looking for a poor man’s Wayne Simmonds and Pakarinen is next on the list. A tremendous opportunity for the young Finn.

119 Responses to "MILLER TIME OVER, INCOMING PAKARINEN"

1. TeeVee says:

Pakarinen’s player type makes much more sense for how Mcllellan has been constructing the Nuge/Hall line.

TeeVee:

I think he might have made the team out of camp had he been healthy. He certainly matches the ‘heavy’ description Chiarelli expressed before Tc. The concern is offense but that’s a mighty push he’ll be getting if he’s on the Nuge line.

3. TeeVee says:

He also fits McLellan’s “Shot Volume” mandate.

4. stush18 says:

TeeVee,

It would be awesome if he turned into a right handed version of pouliot. That’s exactly what we need on that line I think.

There’s chances galore this year for players to either establish or unestablish themselves. That’s why this is such bad timing for pitlick.

Yak looks to be grabbing a spot. Who’s going to be next to step up and say “look at me?”

5. Dicky94 says:

Is Pitlick injured ? Would like to see him with Hall and Nuge. Only thing is possibly losing to waivers in sending him back down.

6. TeeVee says:

stush18:
    TeeVee,
    Who’s going to be next to step up and say “look at me?”

Well I really hope it’s Draisatl, but I’m also content letting him figure it out in the “A”. Would like to see a little more urgency to his game too. Seems lazy at times.

7. TeeVee says:

Dicky94:
    Is Pitlick injured ?Would like to see him with Hall and Nuge. Only thing is possibly losing to waivers in sending him back down.

He’s got a concussion. His career is rapidly slipping away, unfortunately.

8. RexLibris says:

Dicky94:

Concussion.

I think that’s just about the end of Pitlick, at least with the Oilers.

For his sake I hope he retires, given the abuse his body has taken with minimal progress to show for it.

9. RexLibris says:

stush18: Who’s going to be next to step up and say “look at me?”

Nurse is my guess.

Unless we see Nilsson unseat Talbot for a time.

10. meanashell11 says:

Still not convinced on Iiro, I think the perfect guy is Keon but what do we do with Yak doing so well with McD and Ebs about to resurface, Lander/Leon/Pak as a third line?

11. Dicky94 says:

RexLibris,

That’s shitty. Always hoping he would make it. Probably will be the end of his time with the Oil.

12. John Chambers says:

Dicky94:

Pakarinen has outscored Pitlick in the AHL and, to me at least, seems to bring the hope of enough offense to fit in on a skill line. In my opinion it’s not reasonable to expect guys who haven’t scored at the AAA level to find their offensive game in the NHL, and for that reason Pitlick or Khaira, or Curtis Hamilton, Mitch Moroz and many others don’t belong in the show.

13. John Chambers says:

meanashell11:

Hendricks on the wing with Hall and RNH. Seriously, this is a good fit.

Third line of Draisaitl – Lander – Eberle. Wouldn’t that be a beautiful thing?

14. OF17 says:

Pakarinen makes a lot of sense. I’ve been surprised at how much better Hall-Nuge have looked with a Hendricks/Klinkhammer type rather than a Miller/Purcell one. You’d think that just loading the line up with skill would be the answer, but especially with how much more emphasis the team has placed on cycle play this year, the opposite is true.

Can’t wait until Purcell is replaced by another Pouliot type.

15. bendelson says:

While I continue to be a huge fan of Korpikoski and could see him moved up to play with RNH and Hall on a part-time basis, it does interrupt what I would consider to be the emerging and important pairing of Korpikoski and Lander.

Did I mention I really like Korpikoski?
    The Finnish version of a Hendricks perhaps?
    Pakarinen has a role model.

16. stevezie says:

I liked Miller in a limited view but Iro fits the mold a lot better.

17. jonrmcleod says:

I missed this from Rex earlier:

“Let’s be honest. If we’re renting a space for this group there are only two appropriate sites- a church basement or a halfway house.”

Just letting you guys know that I do have a church basement for rent.

18. fifthcartel says:

I definitely didn’t know Pakarinen got 2 shots a game last year in his stint. I’m interested to see how he looks this year.

19. RexLibris says:

OF17:

Can’t wait until Purcell is replaced by another Pouliot type.

I think Pouliot might replace Purcell.

We’ve spoken here about adding a tough winger for the McDavid line. Pouliot is that guy right now, but he’s looking kind of out of sync right now and Chiarelli had him before and let him go.

Wonder if they don’t try to acquire someone mid-season.

The OBC would recommend Scott Hartnell and offer up Slepyshev and a pick for him.

Chiarelli probably has something else in mind.

20. JDï™ says:

stevezie:
    I liked Miller in a limited view but Iro fits the mold a lot better.

21. RexLibris says:

jonrmcleod:
    I missed this from Rex earlier:

Just letting you guys know that I do have a church basement for rent.

And you already associate with this group of online wastrels! What could be better!

I’ll bring the jellied salad. And those peanut-butter-marshmallow squares.

GMoney will probably bring the napkins.

22. Centre of attention says:

Miller looked OK, but his size/grit is a factor. Not a “heavy” player by any means. Miller wouldn’t look good on a checking line, either.

Enter Pakarinen. Shoots the puck and might just have enough offense to look better on Nuge’s line then lets say Klinkhammer. Love Klink but I can’t help but feel like he’s holding Hall/Nuge’s offense back. Also, Pakarinen can do the crash-bang north-south style that McLellan wants.

I think Iiro sticks. Once Eberle comes back, Iiro might even be eating Purcell’s lunch on the 3rd line if everything breaks right.

So, when is Eberle coming back again?

23. Bad Seed says:

jonrmcleod,

Better park those expletives at the door then, just like in the old days of LT’s blog.

I’m about five minutes from putting people in jail.

jonrmcleod:
    I missed this from Rex earlier:

Just letting you guys know that I do have a church basement for rent.

I’ll bring the Watchtower’s!

26. JDï™ says:

I thought you would just send them down to hfboards.

27. bendelson says:

jonrmcleod:
    I missed this from Rex earlier:

Just letting you guys know that I do have a church basement for rent.

I’ll bring ‘Steve Smith’.

28. Bos8 says:

jonrmcleod:
    I missed this from Rex earlier:

I still like NSF’s patio – uninvited.

Just letting you guys know that I do have a church basement for rent.

I still like NSF’s Patio – uninvited.

29. RexLibris says:

I’m about five minutes from putting people in jail.

What we’ve got here is….failure….to communicate!

We need to get you a pair of those mirrored shades and then I can say “got all the dirt out o’ yer hole, boss!”

You know, it is shocking, SHOCKING, how few people are familiar with that movie. A terrible lapse in our public education system.

30. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: I’ll bring the Watchtower’s!

Back issues? Nice.

31. Johnny skid says:

JDï™:

I thought you would just send them down to hfboards.

not a bad idea.

32. RexLibris says:

bendelson: I’ll bring ‘Steve Smith’.

Impossible.

“Steve Smith” is a concept. It cannot be held or contained.

It is also ephemeral, existing in neither one state nor another for any extended period of time, but transitory, almost timeless in nature.

Plus I hear he isn’t allowed out past curfew.

33. frjohnk says:

Lowetide: I’ll bring the Watchtower’s!

I won’t be “Awake.”

34. JDï™ says:

Lowetide: I’ll bring the Watchtower’s!

I feel the need to balance that with some copies of Pastafarian Today.

RexLibris: Impossible.

“Steve Smith” is a concept. It cannot be held or contained.

Plus I hear he isn’t allowed out past curfew.

I may have dated him. Her.

36. böök¡je says:

Just reading LT’s comments on nastiness and this blog and wanted to offer a solution so that nobody feels insulted or hurt.

If you are angry at someone or want to rally voice displeasure using expletives, ad hominem attacks, or direct a mildly derisive sneer at them, just say “Fuck you, book¡je!” or “Your (sic) an asshole book¡je”.

That’s right, I volunteer to be the whipping boy for the blog.

Honestly, this is my non-serious place, its where I come to make ridiculous comments and be an ass so I don’t mind at all of you all direct your anger/frustration/hate at me. It’s all good. I can take it.

Fuck you, book¡je

38. RexLibris says:

Saw this posted today over at FN.

Hartley and Roy’s possession metrics side-by-side.

Yeee-haw!

39. RexLibris says:

Fuck you, book¡je

No umlauts were harmed in the making of this comment.

40. Centre of attention says:

Picked up this gem over at the Nation. Its every option of the “where did the 97 haters go?” poll combined:

“Excuse me while I climb in my hole while furiously deleting tweets. If my keyboard isn’t to wet from my tears, I’ll log on to Flames Nation where I belong.”

41. bendelson says:

RexLibris: Impossible.

“Steve Smith” is a concept. It cannot be held or contained.

Interesting.
    So who’s the guy tied up in my basement right now?
    I may have made a huge mistake.

42. raventalon40 says:

RexLibris: Impossible.

“Steve Smith” is a concept. It cannot be held or contained.

Plus I hear he isn’t allowed out past curfew.

Steve Smith. The concept Oiler fans deserve but not the one they need right now.

43. Johnny skid says:

bendelson: Interesting.
    So who’s the guy tied up in my basement right now?
    I may have made a huge mistake.

don’t worry he is ephemeral i’ve heard.

44. tcho says:

Your an asshole book¡je.

45. JDï™ says:

RexLibris: Hartley and Roy’s possession metrics side-by-side.

Hartley and Roy doing their best Major Kong impression.

46. raventalon40 says:

Johnny skid:
    bendelson: Interesting.
    So who’s the guy tied up in my basement right now?
    I may have made a huge mistake.

don’t worry he is ephemeral i’ve heard.

I can’t even spell epehdjfjdjdhd

47. Sugar Reijo says:

raventalon40: I can’t even spell epehdjfjdjdhd

The bear from Star Wars???

48. John Chambers says:

I hear we had a deal to trade ‘Steve Smith’ for OEL, but ‘Steve Smith’ wouldn’t waive his NMC. I decided that as a result he deserves to be fired, but as it happens he isn’t on the payroll to begin with.

49. Picturesque says:

I’m streaming the Rangers – Coyotes game right now and New York is looking mediocre at best – 10 shots and the game is half over. And they’re considered to be contenders in the East? Wonder if Chia should target a rookie GM for a player the Oilers can use …TMc is familiar with Boyle from his time with the Sharks, might that be a target? Upgrade on Fayne’s lack of passing?

50. JDï™ says:

Picturesque,

I’ve watched some bits of the Rags so far this season, and they’ve looked better than this. Credit Tippett and maybe an off-night or the schedule too.

Not sure that Boyle is any longer the target to improve the defense either.

51. jonrmcleod says:

Lowetide: I’ll bring the Watchtower’s!

I’ll leave the recycling bin out.

52. JDï™ says:

Perron with a great assist tonight: https://gfycat.com/LameLavishDiscus

53. raventalon40 says:

Sugar Reijo: The bear from Star Wars???

Sorry I wasn’t a fan of Battlestar Galactica

54. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

I think Iiro, when healthy, is a good fit for Hall and Nuge. He lacks speed but can create room. Nuge and Hall have enough speed to make up for it.

I disagree on Pouliot. Always been a fan (except for the occasional penalty away from the puck back in the day) as you all know. He creates space, has some grit and some skill and is a great fit for kids. Look, he was sublime with Eberle and Nuge last year and he is helping McDavid and Yak take off. That’s no coincidence.

Hall-Nuge-Iiro/Slepy (after some time back in the AHL)
    Pouliot-McDavid-Yak
    Korpikoski-Lander-Eberle
    Hendricks-Letestu-Klinkhammer

I try that for a bit when Eberle returns, although the zone start balance will need to change from that 3 line if so.

55. Ducey says:

Lowetide: I’ll bring the Watchtower’s!

Now that they took all the naked centerfolds out, no one will want to read them.

I was searching Pakarinen and wow, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pia_Pakarinen. Miss Universe contestant from Finland. And she lives in Joensuu. Too many Oilers coincidences (well two). She must make an appearance on a gameday thread.

56. One-Timer says:

I’m too lazy to check, but I think yesterday LT said something like “Miller will need about 6 games to adjust.”

Apparently that is so last year oilers thinking.

Chia: “Todd, how do you think Millsy did? Should we give him five games or so?”
    TMac: “Nope. Next.”

Ruthless and I love it. Nobody’s allowed to feel good unless they’re helping the Oilers win games.

57. raventalon40 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    Hall-Nuge-Iiro/Slepy (after some time back in the AHL)
    Pouliot-McDavid-Yak

Hall-Nuge-Hendricks
    Pouliot-McDavid-Yak
    Pakarinen-Lander-Eberle
    Korpikoski-Letestu-Klinkhammer

Would be a bit more if a balanced attack

58. Gret99zky says:

Remember when Woodguy told Book¡je to, “Fuck off!”?

Classic.

59. steveb12344 says:

One-Timer:

Apparently that is so last year oilers thinking.

Chia:“Todd, how do you think Millsy did?Should we give him five games or so?”
    TMac:“Nope.Next.”

Ruthless and I love it.Nobody’s allowed to feel good unless they’re helping the Oilers win games.

At this point I’m starting to worry the next guy they try at 1RW might spontaneously combust.

60. raventalon40 says:

Gret99zky:
    Remember when Woodguy told Book¡je to, “Fuck off!”?

Classic.

I remember it like it happened yesterday. Or today? Or however that figure of speech goes.

61. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

One-Timer:

Apparently that is so last year oilers thinking.

Chia:“Todd, how do you think Millsy did?Should we give him five games or so?”
    TMac:“Nope.Next.”

Yeah but that doesn’t jive with how they are deploying the D.

Speaking of HF. I wandered over there for a bit today. Huge mistake. The board is full of gloating Oilers fans making jinx threads about Yak, Yak and McDavid, “chemistry,” “science” etc. I get that it has been a long, tough drought, but the team is 3-4 and not yet ready to beat top teams like St. Louis and Dallas. Giving the fan base a bad name. Yikes.

Being sent there is punishment indeed.

62. RexLibris says:

John Chambers:

So “Steve Smith” is LT’s Milton? (Of Office Space, not Paradise Lost…although….)

63. Gret99zky says:

Lowetide: I’ll bring the Watchtower’s!

Ooooo, do they still have those cool illustrations?

I used to draw the face-paint of the different members of KISS on the faces.

Not sure how I’m going to answer for that one.

64. John Chambers says:

RexLibris,

You know what I was just thinking, Rex, it’s that there’s no way MacT sends Miller down after just a 1-game cameo. They liked to watch guys struggle out of place for three or four games before they gave it a different look. I can’t believe how long Lennert Petrell spent on a line with 93 and 14 but it was clear early that despite what Steve Tambellini described as a ‘heavy shot’, Komrade Petrell was out of place.

So yeah – one game for Miller with the ponies and now they sub him out for Pak Man. I dig.

Gret99zky: Ooooo, do they still have those cool illustrations?

I used to draw the face-paint of the different members of KISS on the faces.

Not sure how I’m going to answer for that one.

Haven’t seen one since about 1976.

66. RexLibris says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Yeah but that doesn’t jive with how they are deploying the D.

Speaking of HF. I wandered over there for a bit today. Huge mistake. The board is full of gloating Oilers fans making jinx threads about Yak,Yak and McDavid, “chemistry,” “science” etc. I get that it has been a long, tough drought, but the team is 3-4 and not yet ready to beat top teams like St. Louis and Dallas. Giving the fan base a bad name. Yikes.

Being sent there is punishment indeed.

I can honestly say that I have never gone to HF boards except when someone has posted a link. I almost immediately closed the window.

Not that I’m being snobbish, I used to visit Hockeybuzz regularly.

67. stush18 says:

So as we all know, we have tons of amazing contributors at this site.

The math and numbers they delve in to to tro and parse the game for us is amazing.

With that being said, I’m thinking of making a GRT stat (Guys Really Trying)

Has anyone heard of anyone doing this? Don’t want to work when I don’t have too.

Also any suggestions on what to include? I’m thinking blocked shots, hits, fights, and thinking of including penalties like roughing, elbowing and slashing.

Pretty serious about this actually. Somewhat.

68. RexLibris says:

raventalon40: Sorry I wasn’t a fan of Battlestar Galactica

Really!

I celebrate the entire Dirk Benedict catalogue.

Especially this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9NVcOTtvBE

Yes, I invite everyone to click the link. You will not be disappointed (assuming you lower your standards of reasonable entertainment accordingly).

69. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Haven’t seen one since about 1976.

Man, I get them all the time.

In fact, somehow they got my name into their little black book and now they come around every Saturday.

Not sure how they got my na-WAAAIIIT a minute!

*in best Alvin and the Chipmunks voice* AAAALLLLLLLAAAAAAANNNNN!

70. RexLibris says:

Gret99zky:
    Remember when Woodguy told Book¡je to, “Fuck off!”?

Classic.

Korpikoski-Letestu-Klinkhammer

Would be a bit more if a balanced attack

Nuge has 2 points. Eberle’s gotta be right there ASAP

72. RexLibris says:

John Chambers:
    RexLibris,

Well, Tambellini did have to run every prospect through a thorough evaluation process. 112 games was the minimum required to afford a reasonable sample size from which to base a decision.

My god…I think back to the 2008 draft and going into 2009 how many of us thought the Oilers might be able to sneak a few wins in between teams facing the Flames and Canucks.

Then they hire Tambellini, a manager many considered to be a GM-in-waiting, and that loooooong process. Watching the whole team burn itself to the ground in a slow, smoldering wreck.

The firing of training staff, the talk about putting a process into place, the excitement of Pitlick, Hamilton, Marincin, Rieder, H.O.P.E, sending Omark highlights back and forth to friends.

Cripes what a long, torturous road we have walked.

I really hope those are campfire lights in the distance, because we need to come in from the cold.

73. Ducey says:

Matheson points out the Oil have the #1 PK:

We now return you to the Rexlibris monologue:)

74. stevezie says:

Did i miss a fight? The caveman part of my brain is equally attracted to an intellectual donnybrook. It’s shameful but true.

And i blame bjooke. Fuck him.

Now Bbendelson, there’s a good man.

RexLibris: Man, I get them all the time.

Not sure how they got my na-WAAAIIIT a minute!

*in best Alvin and the Chipmunks voice* AAAALLLLLLLAAAAAAANNNNN!

76. stevezie says:

JDï™: Too bad Zett made that great play to deflect the puck away from Miller, or he may have gotten his first NHL goal with more than two players on the ice.

It was a great play. Of all the Zetterberg plays our kids got to witness, i hope that’s the one they remember and emulate.

77. Johnny skid says:

RexLibris: Oh man, and then he stabbed him in the eyeball with a broken bottle of Johnny Walker Red before putting him the trunk of his Datsun and pushing it off the ravine.

Good times, good times.

is that from the tragically hip song locked in the trunk of a car?

78. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: The best way to get off the list (seriously) is to ask them. They come to my door every once in awhile. I tell them I ‘strayed from the truth’ (that’s code, tells them you know the religion) and that I married a Catholic (went crazy). Good people, lots of my relatives are still Witnesses.

Oh I’m not worried.

I’m keeping a pair of tightie whities aside for the next time they knock.

I’ll just answer wearing them and holding a book by L.Ron Hubbard.

That should scare them off.

They have minimum standards.

79. RexLibris says:

Johnny skid: is that from the tragically hip songlocked in the trunk of a car?

Made it up on the spot.

Maybe I should write for Gord Downie.

Kind of has a Canadiana flair to it, doesn’t it.

Maybe put in a line about the smell of an empty Tim Horton’s cup mixing with a road flare rolling around the empty trunk that reminds him of family trips to the cabin right before the car hit the river.

80. RexLibris says:

Flames’ D pairings for tomorrow against Detroit:

@Fan960Steinberg

#Flames pairings also the same: Giordano-Wideman; Russell-Engelland; Smid-Hamilton. Nakladal the odd man out today.

Smid’s first game back.

81. G Money says:

Ducey,

Did you look down to the bottom of the page?

The previous Ms. Finland is named Viivi Pumpanen.

PUMPANEN. I mean COME ON.

82. Zelepukin says:

LadiesloveSmid: Nuge has 2 points. Eberle’s gotta be right there ASAP

Ya, unless Hendricks comes back and gets in a productive 2-3 games with Nuge-Hall, Ebs is hitting that top line running. The 3rd line will stay the same and 4th line will see the rotations.

83. Water Fire says:

This seems like the right time to say I think Book!je is pretty. Or however you type that Euro stuff.

84. khildahl says:

G Money:
    Ducey,

Did you look down to the bottom of the page?

The previous Ms. Finland is named Viivi Pumpanen.

PUMPANEN.I mean COME ON.

Jeez. When the heck do Finns find time to play hockey?

85. gd says:

Anaheim getting destroyed in Nashville tonight. Between their and the Flames start plus the Couture injury, the Pacific could be completely up for grabs this year.

86. Johnny skid says:

RexLibris: Made it up on the spot.

Maybe I should write for Gord Downie.

Kind of has a Canadiana flair to it, doesn’t it.
    my last trip to elk water was very similar- without the road flare.

87. "Steve Smith" says:

My ambition has always been to make “Steve Smith” self-sustaining, such that I didn’t actually have to post here myself anymore. It seems that I have succeeded.

88. khildahl says:

“Steve Smith”:
    My ambition as always been to make “Steve Smith” self-sustaining, such that I didn’t actually have to post here myself anymore.It seems that I have succeeded.

Shit. It’s become self-aware.

89. Sugar Reijo says:

khildahl: Shit.It’s become self-aware.

Can’t deactivate it now. Not without incurring the risk of Steve Smith exterminating us all in order to fulfill the mandates of its original coding.

I knew this was going to happen.

gd:

Look at the damage the dementor can do even as a minor league coach at the main training camp. The dementing is strong with this dementor.

91. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Sounds like you’ve all got a bad case of “Steve Smith”

Fuck you Bendelson.

Hi Art!

92. RexLibris says:

khildahl: Shit.It’s become self-aware.

“Steve Smith” is Skynet, Skynet is “Steve Smith”.

We are doomed!

93. RexLibris says:

Nice Blue Jackets debut for Tortorella. A loss by less-than-biblical proportions.

94. healthyscratch says:

godot10,

I’m in traffic leaving this game now. Other than Rinne, Nashville was pedestrian. Anaheim was terrible.

95. Sugar Reijo says:

RexLibris: “Steve Smith” is Skynet, Skynet is “Steve Smith”.

We are doomed!

Bookie’s fault.

And you don’t want to know how many umlauts were harmed in the making of this comment. Trust me.

96. RexLibris says:

Jen LC ‏@RegressedPDO 8m8 minutes ago

I see Ryan Johansen was benched.

Jen LC ‏@RegressedPDO 8m8 minutes ago

~This player seems to succeed because of lots of creativity. I’m going to do my best to kill that.~

Rex Codex Libris ‏@CodexRex 1m1 minute ago

@RegressedPDO Welcome one and all to the Ridiculous Trade Rumours Grand Prix! Gentlemen, start your engines! Johansen for Omark.

97. RexLibris says:

healthyscratch:
    godot10,

I’m in traffic leaving this game now.Other than Rinne, Nashville was pedestrian.Anaheim was terrible.

Interesting.

WoI says Anaheim won the possession game 39/33 with another 14 blocked shots.

Nashville really seems to have adopted a more aggressive shooting philosophy in other games, but whatever is happening to Anaheim is a mystery.

Thanks for the report.

98. RexLibris says:

Wow, Tortorella gave Bobrovsky 27 Offensive Zone Starts and he still couldn’t manage a single shot on net.

Jackets need to dump that guy. No heart, no grit, doesn’t go into the corners. Just another soft enigmatic Russian.

99. Seismic Source says:

Uh Oh….Jackets with another L

If they reshuffle the deck for Torts I’ll have to change my opinion of Davidson, but then again that defense is putrid. There’s nothing to even really take advantage of there IMO.

100. Johnny skid says:

RexLibris:

did you see the size of his shin pads?

101. Bulging Twine says:

Love the decisiveness shown by MacLellan and Chiarelli on this one. Miller wasn’t what they were looking for, onto the next one. No wasting time.

102. Bulging Twine says:

Pouliot was traded once by Chiarelli
    June 23, 2012

103. Bulging Twine says:

Chiarelli traded away Hendricks too.
    June 24, 2008
    for Boychuk
    Hendricks was a minor leaguer at the time.

104. Lois Lowe says:

Lowetide: I’ll bring the Watchtower’s!

I’ll bring a ‘Woodguy’ or two.

Mmmmm sacrelicious…

RexLibris: “Steve Smith” is Skynet, Skynet is “Steve Smith”.

We are doomed!

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again.

105. Centre of attention says:

Holtby’s mask fell off AGAIN tonight. That thing is friggen cursed. Or its a gimmick. 3 times in the last couple games. *edit* wait Dorsett actually cranked Holtby pretty clean with that elbow. Never mind.

106. wheatnoil says:

Lois Lowe:
    All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again.

So say we all.

107. JDï™ says:

Centre of attention: Dorsett

spits

108. Lois Lowe says:

wheatnoil: So say we all.

So say we all.

On that note, I may have found McDavid’s new nickname.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am honoured to present your franchise saviour…Apollo.

109. CofC says:

Funny seeing all the comments projecting Eberle drop down to 3L; short memories or never saw the trio of Hall, Nuge Ebs play together(!) You don’t bury a world class elite talent on your third line; please… Wow. Offensively those three can compete with and out-play any top line in the NHL, period. With defensive awareness, a better team defensive responsibility, and finally solid goaltending, that top line, with Pou/CMcD/Yak on 2, will be dominant.

110. TeeVee says:

Lois Lowe: So say we all.

On that note, I may have found McDavid’s new nickname.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am honoured to present your franchise saviour…Apollo.

And Yak can be…Boomer.

111. Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker) says:

Maybe I am just buying into the hype that goes along with things. I mean the flames think their group of piss cutters aren’t trying anymore, when they were just overachieving last year. Anyway, it seems to me that this team is finally learning for the first time since renney. There has been quite a bit of luck and good goaltending, but there seems to be more subtle pick plays, more time looking for garbage goals, and more being between your man and the net. I am starting to get excited about this team.

King Jordan of Eberle is back within 3 weeks.

112. Yeti says:

khildahl: Jeez. When the heck do Finns find time to play hockey?

It’s very dark here for almost the entirety of winter. There’s plenty of time to shag relentlessly AND play hockey.

113. Yeti says:

Bulging Twine,

Bulging Twine:
    Love the decisiveness shown by MacLellan and Chiarelli on this one.Miller wasn’t what they were looking for, onto the next one.No wasting time.

I’m a little confused. Shouldn’t they already have known that he wasn’t what they wanted? And why not keep him up as well as Pakarinen and send Slepy down to get big minutes in the AHL?

114. spoiler says:

Tyler Toffoli, wow.

115. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

stush18:
    So as we all know, we have tons of amazing contributors at this site.

With that being said, I’m thinking of making a GRT stat (Guys Really Trying)

Pretty serious about this actually. Somewhat.

The most important element of GRT is fallingoverwithoutbeinghit/60

When multiplied by the rate of “sweet flow” this metric gives us the unit of measure known in the scientific community as a “RyanJones”.

116. böök¡je says:

Edit – spoiler alert for BG

One thing that annoyed me at the end of BG was that they actively scuttled all of their technology. They should have kept using it and simply had it slowly degrade into unusable artifacts.

117. Centre of attention says:

Yeti,

Valid point, sir. I’m still scratching my head at the Slepy situation. Those sketchy “run away to europe if I don’t get NHL minutes” clauses’ are always there looming in the background too. Did anyone ever get confirmation on what exactly is fishy with Slepyshev’s ELC? It must be that if they send him down he can opt to play in the KHL instead of the minors. Or something.

Theres no way he should stick for any significant amount of games while averaging under 9 minutes a game. Those are Gazdic minutes. Slepy can finish checks and shoot the puck…why not rotate him in on 1 RW? It’s like Chiarelli/Todd are just rummaging threw the pantry getting a look at every old soup can in the system before Eberle returns and locks down the spot. [hopefully]

Some head scratching decisions for sure.

118. khildahl says:

böök¡je,

I didn’t mind the end of that series nearly as much as most people seem to, but that particular part did always seem really stupid to me.

119. RexLibris says:

böök¡je:
    Edit – spoiler alert for BG

One thing that annoyed me at the end of BG was that they actively scuttled all of their technology.They should have kept using it and simply had it slowly degrade into unusable artifacts.

While it was obviously a bit of artistic license to help bridge the gap between the dramatic timeline and our extant one, it was also presented as justifiable due to the intense trauma caused by their near-extinction by way of technology as well as the experience of having spent several years in horrible living conditions surrounded by that technology.

A “back to nature” movement is entirely predictable at that stage and, as I mentioned, a convenient method for the writers to segue the fantastical aspect of the mythology into our own known prehistory.

Besides, if you don’t do that, you end up with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Uf912bXXew

And nobody wants that again.